Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning. This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today, I'm delighted to welcome Alison Damager to the Before Breakfast. She is a professor of sociology at the University of Wisconsin Madison. She's also the author of the brand new book What's on Her Mind, which is about the mental load of family life. So Allison, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, Laura, it's great to be with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excited to have you. So why don't you introduce yourself to our listeners?
Speaker 2: Absolutely so, As Laura said, I am a sociologist by training and profession, and I study how gender shows up in family life. So most of my work so far has looked at what that means for both different gender and same gender couples. How do they divide up the work that goes into keeping a household running, keeping children alive and reasonably happy, And in particular focus on the cognitive or mental aspects of that work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how would you define mental load?
Speaker 2: So I think it's easiest to start with what it's not. When we talk about housework, usually what people have in mind is I'm washing the dishes, I am cooking a meal, I am driving someone somewhere. And what I have tried to show is that we also have to think about what's going on in people's minds, what decisions are they making, what problems are they travel shooting? And so I think about cognitive labor as sort of the work behind the scenes that makes everything else possible. It's scanning the horizon for potential problems or opportunities or upcoming issues, doing research to figure out how to handle those, making decisions, and then following up to make sure all of that happened as you expected it to.
Speaker 1: And what drew you to this topic.
Speaker 2: I went into grad school intending to study something completely different, and then in my first year classes I kept really feeling fired up by the readings I was assigned that talked about gender and equality in households, and I had that sort of classic awakening moment where I realized that, oh, these are not issues that were dealt with entirely by prior generations. This is something that is still very much ongoing. And I also thought that, you know, most of the studies that I'm reading really focus on how people are using their time, and there's important, right I'm talking to you, Laura, who's of course the expert on this, But I think so much of what households need is hard to capture with a staff watch. It's all of the things that we know can be really taxing about making decisions in particular, and I couldn't find work that really rigorously measured that thinking labor and captured you know, how it was divided between men and women in households, and so I set out to create an interview study where I could figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's an interesting question because if you're trying to ascertain how people are spending their time, I mean, there's sort of relatively well established ways of doing this. I mean something like the American time you survey asking people what they were doing over the course of twenty four hours, for instance, or people send out stop watches and say, you know, okay, every time this time, you know, what are you doing? Right down in a journal? What you're doing and we'll record it that way. I know you've thought about this. How does one measure what people are thinking about and sort of the you know, stress or ease associated with what they're thinking about. I mean, I could be thinking about what's for life lunch, but it doesn't really stress me out that much. So it's a different matter of that versus you know, how is this kindergarten teacher going to be this year? So how does one or any ideas you've come up with for how to measure that.
Speaker 2: So one thing that some people have tried is what's called the experienced sampling method. In the old days, this would be a pager, you know. Nowadays it'd be a text notification where you randomly check in with people throughout the day and say, what are you doing and what are you thinking about? And how are you feeling about those things? So that's one approach some people have taken. I think the downside with that is it's hard to capture the complexities of thought. Often I'm thinking about, you know, ten things over the course of a five minute period, and I probably wouldn't write all of those things down. Another thing that people have tried to do is to put together a list of common areas of life that someone might be thinking about and say, within the last X hours or days, have you thought about this? What I did, because I was doing a smaller sample study with you know, a couple hundred people, I had this really painstaking approach where I asked people to do a modified version of a timelog, but rather than tracking their time and activities, I asked them to track their decisions. Because my thinking was usually we know when some sort of decision outcome has been reached, and then when I met with them in the interview, I would have them work backwards and say, oh, you decided to sign your child up for this camp? How did you start thinking about this right? What other options did you consider? Did you talk to your partner about it? And so on? And so then I would take what they told me in the interview and put together a picture of who was doing what in their household.
Speaker 1: And I know you found that there was certainly a gendered aspect to this. I'm sure are life listeners are not surprised to hear that in at least many heterosexual couples that wound up being more women who were likely to do it but with that, many of your people that you were interviewed didn't have that as the explanation. They weren't just like, well, yes, she does it because she's the mom or something like that. They had other reasons they gave you as modern enlightened people. Right, This is the.
Speaker 2: Part that I found most interesting and in a little bit surprising. So you're absolutely right that most of the people I talked to, many of them were college educated living in big cities, the kinds of people who research would suggest are likely to have more egalitarian beliefs. So they didn't tell me, oh, she does most of this thinking work because she's a woman and that's her job. They told me she does most of this because she's typing. She is just such an organized person. She plans ten steps ahead. She's just on top of everything. She's supermum. And they wouldn't tell me, oh, he leaves all the thinking work to his wife because he's a man and it's not a man's job. They would say, he's just so laid back, he goes with the flow. He is just in the moment and kind of taking things as they come. But what I was able to show was, Okay, I don't think that I accidentally discovered a cluster of Type A women. I think what was happening was people were taking gender stereotypes and gender roles and sort of switching the language a little bit to make it seem like it was about their individual personalities. Because that's you know, as you said, modern lane people, we don't necessarily want to think of ourselves as falling into traditional roles, and so it's much easier and a way to prevent conflict to say, you know what, it's just our personalities. But I think gender has a lot to do with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, because then when you looked at LGBT couples, it it didn't. I mean, it wasn't quite like you weren't suddenly having two women in a couple both being Type A about it necessarily exactly.
Speaker 2: So, there are a number of couples who, especially with the LGBTQ couples, they didn't necessarily divide this work fifty to fifty. But they also didn't fall into this very clear role where one person is the main thinker in all aspects of life and the other person is more laid back. It was much more mix and match, where Okay, Partner one does most of the thinking work related to food and shopping and home maintenance, and partner too does most of the thinking related to the kids and travel and things like that. So they mixed and matched in a way that didn't map onto any particular gender stereotype, which alerted me to, Okay, I think there's a gender thing going on here for the street couples.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then we'll be back talking about more of the practical side of this, how various people can sort of change them of mental load that they are carrying. Well, I am back talking with Professor Allison Damager, who's at the University of Wisconsin. She is the author of the brand new book What's on Her Mind about Mental Load and Family Life. So we've been talking a little bit about her research and how one figures out how much mental load people are carrying and the gendered aspects of that. But you know, this is a very practical show. The gender stuff is fascinating, but we want to talk more about practical Somebody listening to this feeling like I am feeling overwhelmed. I have a lot of mental load that I am carrying and planning stuff all the time, keeping track of all the calendar. How what are some practical ways that they can go about carrying less? And maybe that's not always just getting the other person to carry more. I mean, there might be many ways to approach that.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right. I think there are at least a couple pathways. So I'm imagine it could be someone of any gender, but let's imagine it's you know, the more common Okay, it's a woman carrying more of this work for her family. Her two main options are to get someone else in her family to take on that work, or someone beyond her family, right. I know folks who have household managers and others who they pay to share the load in this way with them. Number two would be find ways to just take more things off the family's collective plate, right, so that no one has to work up on this sort of thing. Now, if you want to go with path number one, reallocation, I think step one has to be making what you are currently doing visible. Oftentimes in households, one partner who's doing this work is feeling burdened by it, but their spouse either doesn't know all that they're holding, or it only comes up in times of conflict, right when we're fighting about oh, I'm stressed and you're not doing enough. It doesn't necessarily happen where we sit down and have a really strategic discussion about here are all the things I'm holding, what are you holding? How can we think about this? What I find most commonly in couples is that they've sort of slid into particular patterns. Oftentimes that is coming from you know, what did their parents do, what have they seen modeled around them? All sorts of factors that sort of make it the path of least resistance for many couples to fall into a she does most of the planning and life management and he does less of it. So what I first say is, you want to decide not default, make a conscious decision about what are we aiming for as a couple, as a family. Are we okay with the current imbalance? Presumably you know, if they're asking this question, at least one partner is not okay with it, So then the question becomes, okay, what would be more realistic given our current constraints. I don't think it's realistic for people to go from eighty twenty to fifty to fifty overnight. There are many households for various reasons where that just would not be the ideal, and so I think it's important for both partners to agree on what are we aiming for, what's important to us, and then to think about, Okay, how can we close the gap between where we are and where we want.
Speaker 1: To be now?
Speaker 2: There are some approaches that, you know, suggest sort of a complete overhaul of who's doing what. My personal suggestion is to start small, pick the low hanging fruit. And what I have seen is that for a lot of reasons, the low hanging fruit is not the kid's birthday party, or interacting with the teachers at school, or planning the family gatherings. The low hanging fruit for most families tends to be more internal to the household. Right what are we eating for dinner? How often are we cleaning things and repairing things? Stuff that has lower stakes for doing differently or not being done in the exact same timeframe. So I recommend picking a place where the person who's the primary cognitive labor doesn't have super strong feelings. They want it to get done, but they don't necessarily care that it be done. In a particular way. And then the crucial part is you've got to have some patience. Most of this stuff is a set of skills that gets built up over time, and it's not reasonable to expect that the minute you say, okay, we're switching and now person two is in charge of this, that they're going to do it exactly right. So that's why I think picking something that's a little bit lower stakes gives you a bit of wiggle room when there's some inevitable hiccups along the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, that's funny because the skills, I mean, you mentioned it's skills, but the idea of scanning their horizon, seeing a problem or an opportunity and taking action toward it is not I mean domestic. That's what people do at work all the time. So it's not that people don't don't have those skills regardless of their gender, it's that they're usually not used to applying them in this particular context.
Speaker 2: Correct. And so that's another piece of advice that I often give to people, where you know, couples who feel like I'm just not he's just not good at this, or she's just not good at this. I recommend looking at what you do or have done professionally as a sort of a proven ground, right, most professions require some level of as you say, it's getting the horizon, planning ahead, being strategic, and so asking well, how have you done that in your hobbies or in your paid work or in school, and then what skills might you transfer? Because you're exactly right that I think it's not that these skills aren't there, it's just they have not historically been deployed in this particular context.
Speaker 1: And what about the option of kind of caring less. I mean, you said, look at the low hanging fruit, but it's possible when you sort of identify low hanging fruit. And some people aren't part too. I mean, it's not there's there's somebody else that they can delegate this too. If they need to reduce the mental loads, some of it's going to have to come from not doing things. I mean, is that reasonable?
Speaker 2: So I think it is very reasonable. I do want to be realistic that women especially are held accountable for a lot of domestic outcomes. And so while I would be the first to say I don't think it matters if your child is matching, you know, at school, I don't think it necessarily matters that you've got to thank you card out within six months of the event. But you have to decide whether you're okay with the potential social consequences of not doing these things in this particular way. If you are, then great, absolutely drop it, let it go, or find a less time intensive or mental energy intensive way to perform the same function of say, acknowledging that you received a gift, maybe as a text that's in a picture or something like that. Right, they're often less labor intensive ways to achieve the same aims.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, And with this even if people don't wind up shifting how the mental load gets allocated. You mentioned something that I read in the book that appreciation helps a lot. That some of this labor is just invisible, like nobody even knows that it happened. You know, you come to your partner with like a list of your top two camps. Your partner is like, yeah, that looks like I like this one. You're like, yeah, I like that one too, and they don't know that there were ten other camps that were examined and discarded before we got to the final two. But making just making sure it's visible and then the other person. Expressing appreciation can go a long.
Speaker 2: Way, absolutely So. One thing that my partner and I have have done inconsistently, but when we do it it's great, is at night we say one thing that we appreciated the other person having done that day. And what often that's, you know, work for our household. What that does is sort of signal, hey, I saw that you were doing this. I saw that you were working hard on this thing. Sometimes we also share, hey, here's all the work that went into planning this trip. Just that you know, right, and the other person knows, oh, that's a signal that you are looking for some gratitude from me. So I find too that it can be really helpful to have some shared household project management tools. We like to use Apple Notes and Google Calendar. There are plenty of other technologies and more springing up every day, it seems, and part of that is just a way of making it visible, whether or not you were equally sharing it or changing anything about how you're doing it, at least you can show yourself as well as your partner that hey, this is valuable, this is a lot I'm holding it. I think for many people who are their family's primary cognitive labor, just having language to say Okay, even if I am not outside mowing the lawn or cooking a meal, there's a lot that I'm doing, a lot that I'm holding, and it makes sense that I might feel tired or overwhelmed from time to time.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, all right, We're going to take one more quick ad break and then I will be back with more from Alison Damager. Well, I am back talking with Alison Damager, who is the author of the brand new book What's on Her Mind about the Mental Load of Family Life, professor of sociology at the University of Wisconsin Madison. So pivoting a bit more toward your own schedule, I always like to hear, do you have any routines that make you more productive?
Speaker 2: Well, I am a bit influx at the moment. I have a five month old baby, my first child, and so I am in the process of trying to figure out which of my old routines still holds in this new era. But the one thing that I'm definitely holding on to is a kind of weekly planning session where I do both the professional and personal. It's a brain dump of everything that I could possibly get done in that week, and then I try to assign tasks two days. So that is something that even if the task lists are shorter and more flexible than they used to be, really keeps me grounded. The other thing that I try to do is really sit down every morning and map out the day. Sometimes that's how Newport time blocking style. Sometimes more often lately it's just a post it note where I list the five things that I must do. But those help me to not face so much decision fatigue. To cite some of my own research, it's taxing to have to constantly make decisions about what you're doing, and so I like to chunk that sort of thing and have, you know, my Sunday night self make most of those decisions about what I'll do.
Speaker 1: Are you a morning person? I mean you said you're doing this in the morning, you're mapping out the day? Is Are you a morning routine kind of person?
Speaker 2: I am? And that's been one of the hardest parts so far about adjusting is my daughter is also a morning person, often a five am morning person, and so whereas previously I had time to kind of ease into the day, reflect this is often happening much later in the morning, but Usually it's when I first sit down at my desk. This is the time when I get organized, think about the priorities, and move forward, even if it's at nine am rather than seven am as it used to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and do you guys, I mean you and your partner have active discussions about then, you know, looking forward and knowing your research as you're going to be making decisions about life for all three of you. Who does what?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So we have historically had a Google document where we list out all of the different chores and areas of life that we're responsible for. You know, who's going to take our pet to the vet and who's going to make sure of the car gets maintained. We've been pretty good about putting both the physical and the associated cognitive work in that document, and then we revisit when there's big transitions. So we bought a house last year. That was exciting, but it brought a whole new set of tasks and chores. And we try not to assume him, right. I think it's very easy just to be like, oh, he's a man, and so mowing the lawn is going to be him. But we had a conversation earlier this year where I said, actually, I think I would enjoy mowing the lawn right It's time outside, getting some exercise. So that has become my task. And we keep this spreadsheet updated and have to keep ourselves honest by periodically revisiting to make sure we haven't stray too far from what we were intending to do.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that you are mowing the lawn. And I suspect many people have in fact chosen lawnmowing as a chore because it's like, Hey, on the weekend, I gotta get outside. I got it. Sorry, I can't help with everything inside the house right now, I gotta get out and mow the lawn.
Speaker 2: It's exactly right. But don't tell my husband that.
Speaker 1: Don't tell your husband that. Yeah, exactly exactly. So I always asked my guests, what is something you've done recently to take a day from great to awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, I am in the stage of promoting my book, and that is something that does not come naturally to me as a rather introverted academic type. I much prefer to quietly do my writing and then hope that people find it. But what I have been doing is really reaching out to my network and saying, hey, I've got this coming out, you might be interested in it. And it's been so nice to hear from people who I haven't connected with. I feel a little bit weird about reaching out to them, but almost one hundred percent of the time people are kind and excited and glad that I thought of them. And so it's been a really good reminder for me that if I believe that work is the work that I'm doing is important, sharing it with others is you know, not just a benefit to me, hopefully it's it's enjoyable for them to reconnect with me. So that's been something that I've been trying to build into my work each day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, it's always fun to reconnect with people and to share good news. What's something you are looking forward to?
Speaker 2: Oh, I am really looking forward to. Uh. Next week is my book Clunch event in here in Madison, Wisconsin, and so there's going to be some celebrations at my favorite bookstore in town, and I think that that will be you know, a little nerve wracking, but also a lot of fun. So that's on the horizon for next week.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's very exciting. Well, anything in a bookstore is a big win in my book, as it were, So Allison, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: The best way to find me is at my website, Alisondamager dot com. It has links to my research to buy the book where I'll be speaking this fall. You can also sign up for my newsletter, The Damager Dispatch, either via my website or at Alisondamager dot substack dot com. And there I write about intersection of gender and family life.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right, well please check that out. So Allison, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback about this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows
Speaker 2: And