Speaker 1: This show contains terrifying, shocking, and haunting stories that some listeners may find disturbing or offensive. It's two thirty am.
Speaker 2: You're driving down a dirt road on the sixty two. Not a soul in sight, just you and the desert night. But wait, you hear a signal off in the distance. It's faint that it grows louder. Is it a howl of a coyote, the hiss of a king snake? Or is the voice of a man guiding you toward a great darkness? From my heart radio and overtones media, You're listening to YFT two FM, the only sound you'll hear in the Sleephole Valley. I'm Dixon Lewis your lone companion for the night, and I've got a new batch of stories to keep you up as you drive down this dusty, desolate highway. Maya has not been a good friend. She tries to fix her relationships. She gets messages from an unknown number to become life threatening. This is left unread by Maya Lynn Sugarman.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just hate horror movies.
Speaker 4: Aren't you trying to be a film buff? I am well. All the experimentation happens and horror.
Speaker 3: First, but I go to the movies to feel better.
Speaker 4: No, I love being terrified.
Speaker 3: The stress of my own life terrifies me enough. Ugh, you're so dramatic, I am, but that's actually why I wanted to grab drinks.
Speaker 5: Things have been so busy. I feel like I've been ghosting lately.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's it's okay.
Speaker 6: I guess I just wasn't sure what was happening, like, I wasn't sure if I did something or No.
Speaker 3: No, it's all me. It's just this podcast. It's taking so much out of me.
Speaker 7: I hear you.
Speaker 5: By the end of the day, I just want to curl up next to Aaron on the couch and make him rub my feet while we watch dumb television.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I really want to make a better effort.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: And look, I get it. Podcasts are telling me right now too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, how are your shows going?
Speaker 4: Okay? I actually had to go to the er last week.
Speaker 3: Wait, what are you? Okay? What happens?
Speaker 4: I'm find now.
Speaker 6: I was feeling really overworked, so after the er thing, I took some stuff off my plate.
Speaker 3: Well that's good.
Speaker 4: What's up everything? Okay?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything's fine. Why do I look concerned?
Speaker 4: You're just making a weird face.
Speaker 8: I'm just getting these texts from some number I don't recognize.
Speaker 4: Look, Maya, what's up? How are you? Can you get back to me asap? Damn? This person's thirsty.
Speaker 3: I have no idea who they are.
Speaker 4: It's probably someone you met at conference or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably. Okay, wait, so you went to the er.
Speaker 6: I had this panic attack the night before. I had all these deadlines, and I was like, this is not possible. I'm sorry, Maybe you should just text back.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm here, I'm focused. Continue.
Speaker 6: So the scariest part was the next morning I woke up and couldn't hear. It was like there was cotton balls in my ears.
Speaker 4: The less I was worse.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, that is terrifying.
Speaker 4: I've never had that happen to me before. And of course I started researching, and only the worst.
Speaker 1: Things come up.
Speaker 6: So, I mean, your ear disease or a tumor, or like a brain disorder. I feel like you should just handle.
Speaker 4: This real quick.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's fine.
Speaker 6: Anyways, it turns out it was just stress, so much stress that I freaking lost my hearing.
Speaker 3: Hey, how about it. We pheel, I'll get us more drinks, another whiskey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, I guess I'm not done with this one, but.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll be right back. Hey, can I get another glass of the red and a whiskey on the rocks?
Speaker 9: You got it?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 1: One new voicemail to listen?
Speaker 4: Press one, Maya.
Speaker 3: I don't like being ignored. Why aren't you responding to my messages? You're too busy for me. I'm starting to take it personally.
Speaker 1: Call me back. What the fuck?
Speaker 3: Talk about doing too much?
Speaker 4: Here you go?
Speaker 3: Thanks, you can put it on my tap. Here you go.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that person left me a voicemail. I just listened to it and it sounds ridiculous. Oh yeah, wait, so can you hear?
Speaker 4: Okay? Now yeah, my hearing is mostly back.
Speaker 3: But sorry, hold on.
Speaker 4: You know, I actually think I'm gonna head out.
Speaker 3: What what?
Speaker 6: No, I gotta wake up early. Anyways, maybe i'll see you this weekend. That clear's baby shower? Where are you going?
Speaker 5: Sorry? This will seriously just take one second. I'm blocking this person and now it is done.
Speaker 3: Wait what did you ask me?
Speaker 4: Nothing? It's fine? Oh okay, I'll see you later. Okay, I got a deadline to hit. Anyways, let's try for another time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, sure, okay, bye, Maya.
Speaker 3: Hi, happy baby shower. I'm not sure what you say a baby shower.
Speaker 10: I'm surprised to see you.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, I forgot to RSPP.
Speaker 10: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, I said shit there are kids here.
Speaker 10: Sorry, that's not what I meant.
Speaker 3: Is everything?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 10: How's the party so far?
Speaker 3: Hope I didn't miss the games? Are we gonna like shotguns, some baby formula or something?
Speaker 10: What bad joke? Are you gonna pretend like what you said last week didn't happen? What do you mean? We haven't texted in a few weeks? Six months, Maya? It had been six months? Really?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: Time fly?
Speaker 10: If I can't believe you just showed up here and you're acting like you didn't even send that voice memo, voice memo? What are you talking about? What am I talking about? Are you serious?
Speaker 11: This?
Speaker 10: Maya ring a bell?
Speaker 12: Hey Claire, it's been a while, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: You used to be so fun, remember all those after hours parties?
Speaker 5: Wait, no, what I didn't just listen in Vegas and.
Speaker 3: Look at you now?
Speaker 10: Who would have thought you'd become like everyone else? So boring. That's not me.
Speaker 12: If you really feel that way, I wish you'd just admitted to my face what you talk about is your annoying baby and your boring house and your dumb husband and blah.
Speaker 3: Claire, I would never say this. I don't think this at all. I'm always obsessing over some new problem. I'll show you our Texas messages. See, I can't do this because of the baby.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know I haven't answered all these messages, but look, there's no voice memo.
Speaker 10: This doesn't prove anything. You just deleted them from your phone.
Speaker 8: I feel like any kind of friendship with you is just a waste of my time.
Speaker 3: But whatever that voice.
Speaker 8: Is, whoever they are, it's not I mean, the excuses you'll come up with to deny this are honestly funny.
Speaker 10: Claire.
Speaker 3: It's good you're moving back to Miami. I certainly won't miss you. Goodbye, Claire.
Speaker 10: You know, when you first stop responding to me, I just figured you were busy.
Speaker 3: I was, I'm so tired all the time.
Speaker 10: Weeks went by, I started to wonder, is she mad at me? Did I do something?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I wasn't mad at all.
Speaker 10: And it became months and I started to realize, No, I didn't do anything wrong. You just don't care. Claire. I should have called thank you for sending that voice memo. No it wasn't me, because at least now you finally just told me, and I don't have to wonder.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 10: It's one thing you are right about. It's good. I'm moving away. Please goodbye, Maya, Claire, Claire.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with our broadcast after these messages.
Speaker 3: I'm fucked. I'm so totally fucked.
Speaker 1: It's okay, babe, We're gonna figure this out.
Speaker 3: I mean, is this even possible? Am I getting hacked? Is this scam?
Speaker 11: I mean, I guess the voice memos could have been made with some deep fake tool, But your message is getting hacked, and the likelihood you wouldn't notice it's pretty impossible.
Speaker 3: I guess this is what I get for ghosting all my friends.
Speaker 1: You didn't ghost all of your friends. You had good reason to.
Speaker 8: My mom getting diagnosed with cancer should have been a reason to reach out, not disappear.
Speaker 1: It's okay, we all deal with things differently.
Speaker 11: I really think you should just tell them friends like James and Claire, they'll be understanding.
Speaker 3: I think it's too late for that. I think I lost my chance.
Speaker 1: There's no way. What is it?
Speaker 12: Is it possible to get a voice memo from yourself?
Speaker 1: What the fuck? What does it say?
Speaker 6: Maya?
Speaker 3: I told you I don't like it when you ignore me. This is what happens. I always have a way. Who the fuck is this?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Why are they doing.
Speaker 9: This to me?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait? Wait?
Speaker 11: Can I see the original number, the one you black last week?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Here, I'm in What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Don't ignore? What?
Speaker 10: See?
Speaker 1: That's what the number spells. Don't ignore.
Speaker 3: It can't be. It must just be a coincidence.
Speaker 1: My like what happens? If what happens? If you call yourself, wouldn't it just go to my voicemail? Well there's only one way to find out.
Speaker 13: Okay, Maya, see I knew you to call.
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 3: Why are you trying to ruin my life?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 4: I didn't ruin anything?
Speaker 13: You already did that yourself by ignoring bullshit?
Speaker 3: What do you want?
Speaker 4: Money?
Speaker 3: I want us to be perfect friends.
Speaker 9: Ends.
Speaker 3: I'm not your friend, and I want this to stop.
Speaker 8: It will stop when you finally stop ignoring me.
Speaker 4: Come meet me tonight.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll meet you. You don't, I'll come meet you where.
Speaker 9: Hello?
Speaker 1: Are you sure you want to do this?
Speaker 3: I don't have a choice. This has to end. Where are you?
Speaker 1: Show your face?
Speaker 3: Where are you are?
Speaker 6: Maya?
Speaker 3: There you are? Where are you? You see? I'm here to fix us? Fix us? What are you talking about? Aren't you say? Of being a bad friend? The selfish friend, the friend who's never there? You don't know shit about me?
Speaker 4: But of course I do.
Speaker 8: I know everything about you, don't you see?
Speaker 3: I am you.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna make us the perfect friend who always answers the phone and says yes, the.
Speaker 8: Friend who puts everyone first. You don't understand that's impossib of course it's possible. What are you?
Speaker 3: I'm the real Maya.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm so sorry, but don't worry.
Speaker 12: Everything's going to get better from here. You don't need this anymore. Hey, Claire, it's me. I'm really sorry about what I said. Can we talk?
Speaker 3: I love you?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 3: Aaron?
Speaker 8: You?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 9: You love her?
Speaker 3: I'm coming. I'm coming.
Speaker 1: You okay? Oh my god, what happened?
Speaker 3: I'm okay? It's over?
Speaker 1: She is that.
Speaker 5: My?
Speaker 1: How is that even possible?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but it's over. Can we go home?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Of course, all right, babe? Hmmm, why are you wearing a different jacket?
Speaker 2: Left Unread is written and directed by Maya Lynn Sugarman. The executive producers are James Kim and Taylor Chiquoyne. Erica Huang is a producer, Diego Perez producer and lead sound designer. Daniel Martinez is a production sound mixer. Matthew Wong is a composer. Theme music by Ryo Baum and Robert Garova. Artwork by Justin d Lee. This episode was recorded at Hobby Shop West in Highland Park, Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Tara Tuzzi plays both.
Speaker 2: Maya's Steve Han plays James, Emily Matt plays Claire. Malcolm Ferrell plays Erin special thanks to Aaron Williams. You Feel In This Too is a production of iHeartRadio and Overtones Media