Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to the Credit Edge of Wiki Markets podcast. My name is James Crumbie. I'm a senior edge at Bloomberg and.
Speaker 2: I'm David Haven's, a senior analyst of Bloomberg Intelligence covering non bank financial thing imagigs, including private credit. This week, we're very pleased to welcome Sonali Wilson, lead investment director for private credit at Wellington Management with one point three trillion dollars of assets under management. That's Wellington, not the private credit at Wellington necessarily, Sonali, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great? Thank you both for having me excellent.
Speaker 2: It's great to have you here. Just before we get into it, Sonali leads the firm's product and commercial strategy for private credit, overseeing the development, structuring, and distribution of Wellington's strategies in this area. She has a fantastic career, having also spent time at PIMCO, Blue Mountain Capital, Ox, ZIF, and Goldman Sachs. And James, I can tell you you're already itching to ask a question.
Speaker 1: Thanks David. Great to see you, Snalie. Private credit is going through a shakeout after years of stellar growth. Fears of software debt defaults, redemptions, from retail funds and bad loan marks are just some of the concerns about an asset class that expanded very quickly into a multi trillion dollar market. Wellington is well known for its participation in liquid public credit. You're now pushing into private markets. Why now, what's the pitch?
Speaker 3: That is a loaded question, James, So, I guess you're starting off and the gloves are already coming.
Speaker 2: Off to James does.
Speaker 3: I often like to say my partner in this business, Emily Banister, and I probably have one of the best and hardest jobs in private credit today, you know, standing up a newer platform and launching products. Quite frankly, it's not without its challenges. It does require a firm like Wellington to be really deliberate and be really thought full. And I think you've alluded to this right. There's been a lot of sensationalization in the headlines, but if you take a step back, we're actually really excited because private credit is not this monolith that everyone reduces down to corporate direct lending or where the headlines are. You know, from our view, a lot of the baby is getting thrown out with the bathwater, and if you can opportunistically lean in and we can. We don't have the overhang of of kind of priors that many of our peers do. We think it's a really interesting time to get into these markets and find niches and happy to talk about sort of how we're thinking about the build. But I think the philosophy, the ethos for Wellington is very much anchored in the same way that we've built many businesses at the firm.
Speaker 2: Well, why don't we level set just so you know, because I think private credit means different things to different people. There's direct lending, and there's there's all. You know, it's just an enormous ego system. It's much larger than the two trillion dollar plus direct lending business. It extends into into asset based funding, high grade private credit. So level setting from the Wellington perspective, kind of what does your universe a private credit entail? And where are you seeing sort of the most interesting areas of growth or opportunity.
Speaker 3: I mean that is the question, right, David, You're exactly right. Private credit today is what we view as a forty trillion plus ecosystem, right, and the headlines are often very focused on the corporate segment, which is about two trillion dollars of that overall forty trillion dollars.
Speaker 2: And then even more focused on private BDCs.
Speaker 3: Right now, correct, right, which is about a quarter right of the of the overall exposure in that universe. And so you really do need to peel back the layers of that onion and say, Okay, what is it that we're talking about. And so for for Wellington, our build has really been focused, I'll say, in areas that check four boxes for us, and I'm happy to talk about the areas that are that are most interesting, but those four boxes have and will continue to be first and foremost, what do our clients need?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: We are a client driven business at the end of the day, and so we need to be able to provide solutions that are more integrated across public and private markets. That is what the market is demanding. But we need to be selective about where we build, and so that build for us really looks at I'll say two big picture items. One where is the market going? And I think what's critical for private credit investors to understand today is yesterday's returns or not tomorrow's returns. And really looking for pockets of the market where the opportunity for private capital is opening up and not shrinking in. And that might be structural reasons, such as you know, the banks continue to rebalance and reallocate in areas like commer real estate. It may be reasons that there's just not enough financing in traditional markets for the complexity that issuers are looking for. So that's critical. I'll say that the other piece that's critical for us is where do we have a right to win. I don't think as a manager standing up a business in twenty twenty six, you can be all things to all people, and so we really think long and hard about where that intersection between public and private markets can create some sort of edge or mote for our clients in what we deliver and where we can supplement that expertise with At the end of the day, individuals that we bring in from the outside, that are cycle tested, that know what it is to originate and underwrite in private markets. We cannot forget that investing in private markets is not the same as investing in public markets, certainly, but when you can combine those two things, I think you can view the world from a more relative value perspective and maybe not fall into some of the fallacies of following the herd into what looks like the newest and shiniest toy.
Speaker 2: And when you talk about your clients and your client needs, just what you know obviously without naming names. Who are your clients? You know? And something that sort of comes is very important as part of this sort of build out of private credit is the liquidity expectations that your clients have.
Speaker 3: For sure, I think at Wellington overall our clients are pretty much mixed fifty to fifty between institutional clients, so think pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, nonprofit type investors, as well as the retail side of the business, the individual investor right, whether that be through some of the largest bank intermediaries or registered investment advisors. And David, I think you're hitting the nail on the head right when it comes to product developlopment and the mechanisms by which private credit will be transcribed into markets and buyers, which is the product development that I certainly and my team work on for institutional investors is a slightly different delivery than maybe with the wealth audience is seeking. Both are focused on yield. Both obviously care a lot about fundamental credit underwriting, and we can talk about that in terms of where the market is going, but how you deliver those and the expectation management of liquidity is of paramount importance. And I think two things can be true, right, the demand for wealth products for alternatives, right, This democratization of alts that everyone keeps talking about can and will continue. And at the same time, how we manage credit risk and liquidity risk still likely needs to evolve visa via the expectations of that market, which is what I think you're ultimately getting at. And that doesn't come down to the fact that these structures are bad. Right. The business development company is the interval funds, right that have these liquidity gates in place. That's not necessarily a negative. I think a big part of this equation is the education that's going to be needed and managing expectations and also recognizing that portfolio management the people you hire to manage these things. It's not just about underwriting credit risk. You have to be able to manage liquidity and have that skill set.
Speaker 1: I'm interested in digging a bit more into what you describe as the full areas of most interests right now that comes from your clients needs your clients' demands in terms of what they want to get into. But investment grade private, commercial, real estate, structured, and growth lending. Those are four start with investment grade private. And you know, a question that often comes up when we look at public against private in that context is that there is an incredibly efficient investment grade bond market that is doing very well at funding you know, very large size, very very tight spreads. So if you're coming to an issue a borrower with a private option, then how is that better than just going to the you know, investment grade bond market.
Speaker 3: Well, I think James, you're hitting on maybe one of the fallacies that we need to break down today. Right, It's I don't think the market is any longer about private credit competing with public markets, Right. It's one interconnected ecosystem, and so I don't think that's what the future is. Right. It's borrowers are increasingly able to choose a variety of financing, Right, They're able to choose between banks, the public bond market, private credit markets all at the same time, Right, And having that perspective across those markets think is really valuable, and ultimately the choice of which market you want to use to finance a project or your company is going to be based on I think more factors than just pricing right where historically right banks public credit markets might have the tightest spreads or the most attractive pricing. Borrowers care about flexibility, borrows care about structuring. Oftentimes, investment grade private credit borrowers, large multinational corporations might be pursuing an m and a transaction that they do not want the public to know about, right, they want to finance it quietly, and so they'll use the investment grade private credit markets to do so. You're seeing more and more project finance get done through the investment grade private market, right, these these private placements or for a two type of deals. And I think that is both a recognition that borrowers have had that the ways in which they finance their businesses in the past, whether for liquidity reasons or broader macro reasons like post COVID World is a great example of that those markets may not always be open to them. There's just talking to a portfolio manager earlier today who's been investing in securitizations of auto loans and some of these issuers who have very limited balance sheet, so therefore need to sell their loans into the market historically use the structured products markets. In COVID, that liquidity wasn't there, right, but they still needed to move that risk off their balance sheet. They don't have the depth of balance sheet to hold on to that type of risk, and so they're increasingly looking to the investment grade private debt market. They're increasingly looking to private credit managers to take on some of that whole loan origination, right, So they want to work with folks or work across lender through the liquidity spectrum and then from everything from private to public. And I think James, you and I have talked in the past about AI right as a big theme and data centers. Ten years ago, you probably would have just gone to a bank and done that deal by yourself, right with a banking institution. Today the banks are financing data centers. Investment grade is financing data centers, Infra managers or financing data centers. Our commercial real estate guys are seeing the construction loans come up. So there's many ways in which you're going to finance that ecosystem.
Speaker 2: When you get involved in one of the financings for one of these large you know, sort of investment grade type issues. How exactly does it work for you? Are you originating it or are you part of a syndicate, you know, sort of purchasing the club, purchasing the asset.
Speaker 3: So it really depends on what project or asset we're financing. So our commercial real estate debt teams as an example, which play across sort of on an un levered basis what i'll call investment grade like risk, and on a levered basis some of that higher yielding risk that's more traditional and private credit markets. If they're seeing a data center construction loan as an example, oftentimes they are either a sole lender or in a very very small group of lenders. But having control in those situations is really important, So you want to have a significant piece of that in some of the more broadly I'll say broadly syndicated is the wrong word. But in some of those deals that are negotiated off market, where you have multiple players, as our IG team often will see, they might be not a controlling investor, but a significant investor. And what we like about the private investment grade markets is whether you're one of the first to show up or you come in later on as the syndicate is being formed. In those markets, you still have influence your respective of your size of structure. And I think when it comes to private credit, some of the best protection that you get as an investor is in structuring right and really getting the deal mechanics and the underwriting right that saves you ninety percent of the time in the future when things go awry, which inevitably they will, structure and underwrite is always first. David and I think whether we're investing in investment grade markets, or we're in commercial real estate markets, or we're in the COLO markets, we spend a lot of time understanding the idiosyncratic risk and then ensuring that the structures that we've put in place have the proper covenants and protections in place so that if things go sideways, we have remedy and we have an ability to work through it.
Speaker 1: How does that relate to the current AI data centers you're seeing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this is probably one of the areas where we will generally agree with the market that this is a multi year secular theme, but probably an area from a real estate lens as an example, where we're less excited maybe relative to other parts of the market where that AI theme is continuing to make its way through. So in data centers specifically, our real estate team sees a lot of the construction lending type opportunities and they were an early investor in that space four or five years ago, and at that time, spreads were kind of in the four hundred plus basis point range. Financing levels were very moderate, right, so these were modest levered, know, sixty seventy percent loan to value type opportunities. Today, when we look at that space, advance rates have gone up, right, so there's a lot more leverage ninety percent in some cases, and spreads have compressed about two hundred basis points, and so when we think about that risk that we're taking relative to their return, it's a little less exciting today. That doesn't mean all data center construction is off the table. What that means for us is that the team, as they always have, thinks a lot about the location of the data center, access to power. We think a lot about sort of the less ye and what the terms of those leases are and how long that lease term is visa vis the loan, and then importantly, what our team has been very focused on lately, is terminal value exit? Right if the existing lessee or the tenant that's supposed to come in up in leaves, which they can, and and we're seeing that in structure, is what is the value of that real estate? Is it easy for somebody else to come in and take that over or is it going to be really difficult because that data center was built in a remote area where there's not a tremendous amount of demand. So we think a lot about that replacement value when evaluating data centers in today. I'll say not every situation, but by and large it's a pass. We would rather play that AI theme and I'll stick to the real estate analogy, like the way we work, the way we live, the way we travel, the way we consume right, is all being upended by AI and by the transformation that's that's here to come from our seat that means real estate's going to have to be redesigned, it's going to be reimagined. We would rather invest and play the quote unquote AI theme through some of that transition that's about to take place and lean into where we see a lot of alignment between our borrowers and ourselves versus maybe getting the top of the iceberg. That being said, James, there is a place for data center credit in client portfolios, particularly if you're viewing it as a replacement to buying the corporate issuer as an example, right, and you're getting paid some incremental spread to take on Microsoft risk or Meta risk, and there is that relative value in fixing come portfolios. We've seen it, We're investing in it, but from a private credit lens, not our highest conviction opportunity. We like beds and sheds instead.
Speaker 1: There's no pressure to deploy just because it's Microsoft and you need to get in on all the other deals that are coming down from that. You don't feel that price.
Speaker 3: We don't feel that pressure. I think as a private credit investor, what we really pride ourselves on is in situations, right, these are relationship businesses, as many of these things are. Right when you're getting access to deals you're underwriting, being able to say no is actually a superpower, and I think people forget that. Our teams are quick to say this makes sense for the type of capital that we're running, or for the portfolio that we're building, and I think for many sponsors in this business, a quick not is actually as valuable as a yes, because you're building relationships for the long term. So not everything that a certain sponsor is going to originate is going to work for our pool of capital, and that's okay. They want to know that when you are there and you show up, that there is the ability to execute. There's the flexibility in the struct suring to work with the barrower to kind of meet the needs that they have and to do it quickly and to be there when when the opportunity arises and there is alignment. And so I think quick nos are just as good as quick yesses.
Speaker 1: But just on the AI theme, you know, it is a massive, multi trillion dollar funding effort that's going to go on for several years. We're already seeing pushback in the public markets always already some you know, bad trading in names like SpaceX, and that's worrying some people. But is there any sign of indigestion on the private side for all this AI funding that's going on.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on the pool of capital right there still seems to be you know, every time I'm out talking to various clients, there's certainly an eye towards I'll say, we've seen a lot more infrastructure allocations from the client side this year to buy into the long term theme. Ultimately, James like it, and I don't mean for this to be a cop out, right, but it's about aligning your expectations and your time horizon with the return right. And so I think for those that view this as sort of that core opportunity where you're going to get kind of mid single digit type returns, there's a lot of opportunity. And I don't think that you've seen the tissue rejection, but it's just recognizing it for what it is. Right, if you, as an allocator or an investor, say, look, I'm looking for my fifteen plus percent return, I'm not sure that you're going to get that from a data center loan today, given where the market is, and if you are or that is what one is promised, there's probably some other risk that's permeating in the system. So I don't think there's been any sort of oversaturation of the market. I think you're just seeing more segmented pools of capital for the various opportunities that are out there, and that's where we as investors need to be really disserting of am I getting compensated for the risks that I'm taking and for the time horizon upon which I'm investing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to ask what you've seen just from trend to wise on a year to date basis for spread premiums between private financings and public financings for high grade assets.
Speaker 3: For high grade assets, I think it certainly ebbs and flows. In the more syndicated parts of the market. I'm certainly still at a premium relative to history, but you can see things in the one hundred to two hundred basis point range. I think as you get out on the more risky, the heavier transitional side of the world in areas like real estate, that premium today is probably somewhere between two to four hundred basis points, depending on what part of the spectrum that you're playing on, and what.
Speaker 2: What is the risk premium compensating you for it. Is it all liquidity or is it complexity? Is it you know, like if I were an insurance life insurance company with sticky liabilities and you know, a pretty good actuarial level of certainty around how long they're going to stick around for, I should be waiving this in every.
Speaker 3: Day and some are, and they are right because I think they certainly see the opportunity and they have the duration of the capital didd To answer your question directly, it's all of the above, yeah, right, And and that's why I say there's an illiquidity premium and there's a complexity premia. I think we often think about them and aggregate, right, And many of our clients in this space when they think about private credit really are looking at what is the premium relative to public markets that I'm getting right. So oftentimes the quote unquote benchmark will be, you know, high yield or levered bank loans plus some spread of two three hundred basis points, and that's how you assess, am I getting compensated for that premia. Certainly the duration of these loans sort of on the short end can be three to five years. On the longer end, there's ten to twenty year paper out there as well, and so in the longer dated paper it might be more investment grade like in terms of the issuer, So your aggregate spread is not going to be huge. But in those instances, that's where you may see the premia actually be wider to the public market because you're taking on that additional illiquidity, and then on the complexity of the deal. There's multiple dimensions of that. There's the structuring. There's where in the capital stack, am I playing right, am I senior? Am I? In the mezzanine stack, am I in something that's cuspy that looks a little bit more like equity. The lower you go, the more you should, as extensibly get paid. But the interesting piece about capital flows is it doesn't always follow the logic. And some part of that. We've talked a lot about real estate. Our team invests in what we call transitional real estate, right, so real estate that is undergoing some sort of capital plan or leasing strategy, right, that's being quote unquote transitioned over time. And there's those things that are light, a lighter lift effectively, and then those things that are heavy. If you look at where spreads have come in, ironically, you should be compensated more for taking that heavier transitional risk. You're taking more operational risk, execution risk of the sponsor. That's where you've actually seen spreads compress a bit more today historically than even the lighter side, which again not that these things always equate to risk. It's more about how are you being compensated for the execution plan you're taking, And so in those markets today, we actually think you're being better financed from a leverage perspective as well as better compensated from a spread perspective to take the lighter transition. So that's where we would rather lean in, and I think that is purely a function of just capital flows.
Speaker 2: You've also written a fair amount about commercial real estate real estate assets at insurance companies. Maybe gain span on that a little bit. Why that match is so magical.
Speaker 3: Yes, So we do as a business work with a lot of different insurance companies and types of insurance companies. I think you know real estate as an asset class from their regulatory perspective, and the frameworks in which many of the US insurers operate often has positive capital treatment. It's an area where insurance companies themselves have been large investors, both on the equity side and on the debt side. They call CML commercial mortgage loan investing portfolios and so visa the other parts of private markets where you don't get the benefit of looking through to the underlying asset, and they often think of insurance companies often think about the risk in real estate very similar to the way that we're thinking about the risk, right, are you underwriting a core asset profile, a value add profile, and opportunistic profile, and their risk ratings actually scale up based on that underlying type. And so there's tremendous alignment both from a liability matching perspective as we think about the duration of many of these insurance companies' liabilities. I think there's a familiarity and there's a long standing financing history. Right when we look at the real estate markets here in the US six trillion dollar market, financing market actually bigger than corporate direct lending. Right, half of that has historically been financed by the banking sector. Insurance is the second largest sort of financier of commercial mortgage loans. So this is a business that they've been in for thirty plus years, right. They understand the risk, they understand the role it plays, and so relative to other parts of private markets for insurance companies, this is an area where I think they see the compensation for the illiquidity premia. It's capital efficient relative to parts of corporate credit, like high yield or bank loans that offer similar spreads or even lower spreads than what some of these loans are providing. It's senior in the capital structure. Right, So you're a first mortgage lender. It's like having the bank over the mortgage on your house. Right, that's the same thing that we're doing here on the commercial real estate side. And so it provides and it's a hard asset. Right, So when all is said and done, if things go sideways, there's a hard asset backing that loan. And I think in insurance companies think in those in those frameworks, and so this is a very efficient way. And oftentimes in the in the private fund structures, they do have the ability to look through to the underlying asset, which isn't always the case across all parts of private credit market.
Speaker 1: Right, is there a danger that some of these hard assets become obsolete or in the same way that you describe data centers, you know, and you mentioned the big shakeup coming from AI that you know, everything is changing the way we work and everything else is you know, in the world is supposed to be revolutionized by this technology that I have yet to see. Uh, But what is the long term outcome for commercial real estate? You know, if you get into an office that suddenly becomes redundant.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think all of those things, right. It's the reason why we've we've written a lot about this. It's the reason we like the transitional space. Right. Transition by virtue is investing in the thing that is changing. I often think the fallacies of those that look at commercial real estate markets is when you think of a core asset right, probably like this beautiful office that we're sitting in today, right, as always being resilient, right, or being the safest asset. But in many ways, if we think about the real estate life cycle from ground up all the way to core, those things that are the most what we call stabilized in this space often are the ones that are likely to move into obsolescence as their next phase if they are not invested in to maintain that value. And so absolutely, in real estate, not all real estate is created equal. COVID certainly taught us that.
Speaker 2: Now it's all about location. Right now, it's location location Like it's a very asset specific.
Speaker 3: Market specific, its assets specific. It is also you know there is some wreck. You just have to have a recognition and I think a healthy understanding the fact that things are going to change and so you are really underwriting loan by loan, zip code by zip code, asset type by asset type. That being said, there's like structural themes in the market that we think will transpire over the coming years. Right. I think James, you had somebody on your podcast recently that talked about the residential lending opportunity. Right. Housing in the United States is consistently and undersupply. Right, So if you have the ability to finance from our seat, like a multifamily a conversion, right. Of I know there's been some press around this recently here in New York, but of like office to multifamily, right, and you're underwriting the business plan well, and the safety measures and all of those things. Well, there is there is opportunity. Right. The other piece of this is right we say beds, Right, Beds continues to be an opportunity. Sheds is also the other opportunity with this this AI and digitization and the move to more of a digital economy, the need for cold storage, the need for I mean we all live in the Tristate area, Right, there's probably a time fifteen years ago, ten years ago, right, we all went to the grocery store, right, fresh Direct was still relatively nascent i venture. All of us in this room probably get some form of our goods digitally, right, and living in and around New York City, we need industrial space to house those goods. There's a lot of older industrial space that needs to be refit for what's needed today. And so in real estate, if you can lean into that innovation, you can lean into where the puck is going and most importantly, align yourself with the sponsor. Right. The biggest piece in lending from our standpoint is we don't want to take what our portfolio manager often likes to call kind of the pilot error. Right. You want to be in situations where the sponsor is putting money into a project, not taking money out of a project, and in that transitional space that's in the life cycle of real estate, that's where you have the optimal alignment. We would rather be there all day long than invest in some of these like melting ice cubes of assets that likely will need more work but may not have the proper alignment to ensure that that asset's dealt with properly.
Speaker 1: So you're lending pretty short turned through some kind of development cycle.
Speaker 3: Correct, We're lending over three to five five years in many of these loans. So we have a line of sight it's a specific project that needs to be financed. We have a line of sight into what the sponsor is doing to get there, and then what the exit opportunity looks like versus the ten fifteen year type of lending, where I think there's a lot more that can be disrupted through what's happening right now.
Speaker 1: How are the returns in that space.
Speaker 3: They tend to be sort of on a I'll talk about it on like an unlevered and then a levered basis, because it is a levered levered approach. On an unlevered basis, you're probably getting compensated anywhere between two hundred and four hundred and fifty basis points today over pub over sofur. And then on a total return basis, these things tend to be I would say through cycle nine to twelve percent net. Well, we tend to think of the world an IRR terms net IRR. But I think importantly, because you're senior in the capital structure and this is an income driven strategy, you're getting paid income and interest throughout the life of your loan. Right there's none of the pick and things that we've seen elsewhere. So you're actually getting your interest payments. They're capitalized as part of the loan structures themselves, and so you're getting income distributions somewhere in that kind of like ten to twelve percent range.
Speaker 1: Something that has been historical. And we'll say, you think it will continue in terms if they were telling you'll.
Speaker 3: Get I think, you know, we talked about this before, right, I think it's going to EBB and flow. Today we are certainly continuing to see value. And then the other piece of this is, you know, the financing markets for this type of asset have certainly been quite constructive, this.
Speaker 2: Type of asset being a transitional property correct.
Speaker 3: And so you know, this is an area where we know we talk about the banks. You know, I think so much of the private credit story historically has been anchored in this retrenchment of financial institutions and banks. Right the banks are retrenching, they're regulatory costs, regulatory costs, et cetera, et cetera. Banks are not retrenching from commercial real estate market. They're becoming more selective about where they want to lend directly into projects and then where they want to finance managers like ourselves in these markets, and so.
Speaker 2: They're not going to be providing the long term.
Speaker 3: Capital and I don't know. And in certain projects, yes, right, And you've certainly seen them be active in areas like data centers and some of that infrastructure built. So I think they're going to be part of the long term capital solution. But in certain areas like transitional lending space, it's not very efficient. It's not an efficient use of their capital. The more efficient use of their capital, or they're the higher roe of that capital, is to be a back leverage provider, as an example to private credit managers, and so they would prefer to take that risk in this part of the asset type and then put those dollars elsewhere. So we often like to say banks are rebalancing and reallocating their balance sheet. They're not retrenching from the market. And that's a dynamic that's going to continue, we think for certainly for the secular horizon. And so when you have a more favorable financing environment and you have assets that we think are a bit more resilient, that combination I think today is creating a stable return profile. But subsectors of the market will continue to EBB and flow heavy transitional versus light office, multifamily, you know, industrial, so on and so forth, Like we would tell you office is troughed a lot. Yeah, Does that mean we're running back to be lenders into to office. Absolutely not. We joke around the desk that for us to finance an office deal today, it needs to check seven out of four boxes, right. And that comes back to your question on the illiquidity premium, right, which means for one hundred basis points of incremental spread, that's probably not a risk that's worth taking given all the disruption that's happening in the market. But if being compensated and you're in a class A location you have inelastic tenant demand, those might be interesting on a selective basis, but it's not an all.
Speaker 2: It's such that the office is such an asset specific industry. Like we're sitting here speaking right now on Lexington Avenue, and if you go west from here towards Park and Fifth Avenue, that's a vibrant, high quality market from a tenant perspective, from a property perspective, And when you go east of here, some of those properties exist, but they're fewer and further between and some of those properties are absolutely positively have to be transitional properties.
Speaker 3: Correct, And that comes back to like what's going to do well right, it's if you have well amenditized offerings, you have modern buildings. Our offices are just outside of Union Square, were between kind of n y U and Union Square in a really fantastic building. There's a lot of vibrancy, are more and more innovation coming through right with like the Google rests shop, good everything, great way to recruit right up and coming talent.
Speaker 2: Jazz.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic. So it's like you said, location, location, location, you have to really understand, right. We were never big investors or our team was never big investors in like Class B office and you know these big office park type locations, and so real estate is super interesting. We probably spend the whole time talking about it, but it ultimately comes down to the right property at the right financing costs and with what we hope is optimal alignment with the borrower. And in those scenarios you end up creating we call bend not break profiles. So you need structures that bend but that don't break. And importantly, what we don't want to take is that pilot air mechanical error is going to happen, COVID's going to happen, rates are going to go up. You can't plan for those things, so you want structures that can be resilient to those things. But what you don't want to take is that individual pilot risk.
Speaker 1: So for the year ahead, Sonati, when you look at everything, you get the privilege to be surveying around the world, this forty trillion dollar market, what are you most excited about in terms of relative value?
Speaker 3: So we talked about a lot of it. We are most excited about that continued convergence across public and private markets and being able to play at that intersection, whether that's in the investment grade market or the commercial real estate markets that we've talked at length about, even in pockets of the structured products market, which I think are sort of the hallmark of that convergence. I think there's going to be continued opportunity there. The themes of AI and disruption are going to be investable for multiple years to come. And this is an exciting time because I think you can still pick and choose what parts of the market you want to lean into that theme In and we've talked a ton about commercial real estate. I think that is probably one of the most exciting and compelling parts of the market today.
Speaker 1: Bets and sheds, beds and.
Speaker 3: Sheds continue to like it. I also think over time right asset based finance markets are have and continue to be interesting. Those with hard assets, I think are from the seats that we sit in. I think can be underwritten in a more holistic way and I think provide a bit more a bit more resilience. And then I also like the benefit of patients at moments like these, where you're at sort of crossroads and there's a lot of noise, if you can just take a step back and say, Okay, how are we going to go back to basics? Right, like what do we do best underwrite fundamental credit? If you can kind of stick to that true north, if you can stick to sort of as a wellington for us, where is our greatest value? Our greatest value is being able to evaluate that full picture, knowing what's happening in public markets, understanding what's happening in private markets, and being patient in terms of where we lean in and really building conviction on the market opportunity. I think we'll serve us and our clients well over the long term.
Speaker 2: Is it just US?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Where do you think outside the US is a good opportunity for private credit?
Speaker 3: So I would say our business primarily has focused on the US, certainly because of the deepest markets. Certainly there's going to be more to be done in places like Europe, and I think you're seeing that pan out in terms of both capital flows and where managers are continuing to build capabilities. That infrastructure need I think is going to be just as significant over there as it is here. I think the Asian markets are interesting, but have historically been very dominated in many countries by the banks and by traditional lenders, and so I think we have to wait and see a little bit more. And by the way, I think that's where we really need boots on the ground to understand local markets, regional nuances. But it's a market to continue watching because there's so much growth coming out of some of those countries and infrastructure need infrastructure build that will happen over time. So this is both a global phenomenon as well as i'll say a broader asset class one and I think sitting inside of a one point three trillion dollar organization. Is that there's no shortage of research or data that comes through on a day to day basis for us to make what I hope are informed decisions. Not always going to get it right, It's not always going to be perfect, but what I do hope it allows us to do is put that keen eye on relative value.
Speaker 1: What do you worry about? Though? I mean, there's so much. As we started the conversation, you call it a loaded question, but there are lots of things, as credit people that we worry about. You know, when you mentioned convergence, people immediately assume that just means worse returns. But what do you think about in terms of the credit risks in terms of the IG private credit market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I look, I think the risks are As credit investors, you're always thinking about the idiosyncratic risks, Right, what did I miss? What are we what are we going to get wrong? Then that's true for the IG markets or or the higher yielding markets. I think at this point in the cycle, I do worry about just the broad I'll say of a few things, one is the YEP. There's been a tremendous amount of headlines and those don't seem to be abating. I would say what that's translated into and the BDC market is right a liquidity driven issue. There can be moments in time where liquidity issues become credit issues, and I think we have to watch that very closely. We don't have direct exposure to it, but certainly we invest in and around the ecosystem of these companies. So I think that's something that we're continuing to watch. I think that is a lot of capital that has been formed around this broad private credit opportunity, and we want to ensure that we're level setting our expectations in terms of what these markets can deliver when there is so much capital in these ecosystems. And so I think we consistently have honest conversations around where is that iliquidity premia? Right? Are we being compensated and have return expectations changed for the short term or really structurally are going to be different over the long term. And so that's certainly something that again we're just continuing to watch. And then I think it's it's the fundamentals.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: If I ask any of our pms, like what's keeping you up up at night? Right, it's the deals themselves and making sure that you've turned over every rock, you've assessed the risks. And then we're in the risk taking business right at the end of the day, and you want to take calculated risks and those that are that are well thought out. So that's certainly something we think a lot about. And then in my seat, I think about what am I missing, Like, what haven't I what are what are the what are the things I haven't thought about as this market continues to grow and evolve, and are there places we should be thinking about building or leaning in? And so that leads me to just ensure that I'm having as many conversations as I can, asking questions like maintaining that growth mindset to ensure we're bringing good information back to the organization.
Speaker 1: Great stuff, it's Nightlie Wilson with Wellington Management. Thank you so much for joining us on the credit edge.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me, and of course.
Speaker 1: Very grateful to David Havens the Bloombok Intelligence.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Absolutely my pleasure for.
Speaker 1: More credit market analysis and insight. Read all of David Haven's great work on the Bloomberg terminal. Bloomberg Intelligence is part of our research department with five hundred analysts and strategists working across all markets. Coverage includes over two thousand equities and credits and outlooks on more than ninety industries and one hundred market indices, currencies and commodities. Please do subscribe to the Credit Edge wherever you get your podcasts. We're on Apple, Spotify, and all other good podcast providers, including the Bloomberg Terminal at b pod Go. Give us a review, tell your friends, or email me directly at Jcrombeight at Bloomberg dot net. I'm James Cromby. It's been a pleasure having you join us again next week on the Credit Edge