Speaker 1: You were listening to Ruthie's table for in Partnership with Montclair.
Speaker 2: One of Zoe Saldania's mantras in life is feel the fear and do it anyway. And what hasn't she done? She dances, she acts, she sings, she speaks several languages, and I think she loves to cook. Imagine my surprise couple of months ago in October, standing outside my office laptop and cook books in hand, with a large sign on the door saying do not disturb. And the reason for this wasn't a meeting with accountants or a broken radiator, but the fact that Zoe Saldania was changing into her dress for a lunch downstairs to celebrate the release of her brilliant new movie, Amelia Perez. After lunch, I took her hand and walked her to her car, talking about how to make the perfect rice. A few minutes later, we'd agreed to do a podcast together. And since then, it's been quite a time for Zoe. I've seen her everywhere on screen and newspapers, magazines and posters, and I'm thrilled that last month she won a Golden Globe and in February March she's this contender for both abaft add an Oscar. A lot has happened, and a lot is going to happen. But right now, what's happening is that Zoe is here with me on a Saturday morning in the River Cafe. It's our chance to sit down and talk about food, food and memories, food and family, no fear, just happiness and love.
Speaker 3: That was so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Well, it's true. It was such a quick meeting. It was you were here, it was Netflix was giving you lunch. Do you remember it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, And you just reminded me. We were talking about rice, about making rice, and we should have cooked rice today.
Speaker 2: We did. We cooked Go to the perfect race.
Speaker 3: Tell me it's very simple. We saw tr rice before we put the water in. So you put your pot on the stove. You wait for it to get nice and warm. You add the oil. Sometimes you can add the salt over the oil, or you can just wait until you put the rice, the washed rice rinsed. You put your rinsed rice in it. You saute it for at least two to three minutes, make sure that that it's just you know, it cooks a little bit, and then you put the water. So you wait for all that water to almost evaporate on very high heat. And then when it evaporates, then that's when you close your pot. And you then put the fire on simmer for twenty eight No lid in there, No, because the water has already it's already the rice has already soaked up all the water. The rice has expanded.
Speaker 2: And it's nice and kind.
Speaker 3: Of fluffy, but it's still very very odd. And then you cover it and you allow its own steam to cook it all the way into its you know, its cellular sort of you know component, and then you can you can have your rice.
Speaker 2: It's a certain type of rice, so long rain, long grain.
Speaker 3: Long grain. We don't necessarily cook with avodio unless we're making a soup that carries rice like a porridge in it, and we do. In the Caribbean. We make a lot of soups. Every island has.
Speaker 2: So dest from the from the rice to the soups.
Speaker 3: Well, you we make soups with provisions, which are those root vegetables from yucca, yeah me jaotia, I don't I don't know the names in English, so please forgive me. And then also with the plantains, some of them can have plantains and potatoes, and you either choose what kind of meat. Either it can be beef or pork or chicken. Sometimes you can also do a fish stew or a shrimp stewice a hardshell stew, and you cook all of those things down with really important greens that add so much flavor. And I think you guys use it a lot here in England, the koulantro, it's a coriander, I believe it's which in Spanish we call it because the cilantro that they use in Central and South America is the small leaf one that looks really like a four leaf clover, and but the ones that we use in the Caribbean is the really long leaf that when you slap it and you sort of make, you know, you open up all of it's like pores, and you put it into water or your tea or or broth. It's the most pungent, you know, smell and fragrance and taste. Suff So that's how I grew up, just making stews of all type soups.
Speaker 2: But but they vary from the winter soups to the summer soups.
Speaker 3: We'll make soup on the hottest day of summer, and it's always summer in the Caribbean, and but it's it cools you off as you're having something that's really hot or sometimes spicy. And the Medican Republic we're not really known for eating spicy spicy food. You can, but it's not something that is in name in our culture like it would be, for instance, in Mexico. But we do a lot of soups, and when you're having your soup on a very hot day, it just compels you to cool off, you know. It's like having a hot team and I just love it.
Speaker 2: So it must have been quite in many ways your early childhood, which you were born in.
Speaker 3: I was born New Jersey, Pa Sake, New Jersey, and I lived in New York because my family has been in New York since nineteen since the nineteen sixties, and I lived there until I was ten, and then when my father unexpectedly just tragically died in a car accident at he's thirty eight, it was still a kid. Then we all fly and we move to you know, where they're from in Dominican Republic, which is where I'm from, you know, at the root of my origin. And it was beautiful Dominican Republic and the Caribbean. Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic used to be places that we used to go to during the Christmas holiday summers. Of course we did, yes, we and we spoke Spanish at the house. But you speak English already at school, so you're I'm very much a one generation child in New York where you coach switch automatically and you don't even know what that means, and you eat rice and beans with your grandparents today.
Speaker 2: Did your grandparents live with you it is New York? Yes, yes, both sets?
Speaker 3: Or yes both sets?
Speaker 2: Did they go back with you when you when you went back? Yes, we used to.
Speaker 3: Well, growing up, I used to travel mainly with my grandparents. And that's you know, in our culture. I guess that was their version of giving, like my parents a break. So for two weeks, you know, they would fly with us ahead, you know, two weeks in advance, we would sort of take take it all in from from the gaze of your grandparents, of your no nos, your your abuelos, and then your parents would arrive with a great tan. They probably would go somewhere and reconnect, and and two weeks later that we were all together. We would spend the whole summer in Dominican Republic.
Speaker 2: A lot of people that I talked to from especially from different cultures, different family groups, talk a lot about their grandparents, almost more about their grandparents cooking than their parents. And as a mother, and now I'm a grandparent, I was saying last night at dinner that I really noticed the difference in the way that I cook for my children and the way I cook for my grandchildren. When you're cooking for your children, very often you're just trying to get food on the table because you've worked all day, or you know you're going out that night, or you want to see them. But they are more important things to do than to perhaps spend hours cooking for them. But when you're a grandchild, there's so much you just want to bring, the culture. You want to cook the food that they'll remember. It's part of the memory.
Speaker 3: Did you feel that with your Oh my god, absolutely, what you're saying just makes me want to cry. I just there is just so much love that my grandmother put in every dish that she was made. My grandmother was born in Dominican Republic in nineteen thirty five under the dictatorship of Trujillo dictator that that was in power for over thirty years. She was born and she was raised under this dictatorship, got married, had her daughter, my mom, and then in nineteen sixty one, after the assassination of this tyrant, they were granting passages, visas, work visas to Dominicans, and my grandmother was, I guess, in the first or a couple of waves of Dominicans that arrived in New York in the night in nineteen sixty one and would later then, you know, populate that uptown region of Manhattan that would which is now known as Washington Heights, which is basically you know, it's all very much the biggest Dominican diaspora outside of the Dominican Republic is in Washington Heights in Manhattan. And my grandmother was one of those I would say, first arrivors, you know, and worked. She was a seamstress and she worked for in factories and for some fashion houses throughout you know, those first two decades of her life there. My mother must have been my mom was born in fifty six, so she must have been five when my grandmother arrived in New York. But my mother stayed behind with her grandparents with my grandmother's parents in Santo Domingo, and then in the summer she would go to New York and spend it with my grandmother until she was fourteen, And at that age that's when my grandmother then moved my mom and her parents to New York. By the time I was born and we were living in New York, my great grandparents had already sort of flown and moved back and retired in the Dominican Republic. But they would always visit. So I remember every time they would visit, like every three months. We were a family that was always on a plane and still today, I've always been on a plane and they would open up the suitcases and they would bring Dominican Republic like their plantains and their their cheese. It's like we have a version of like a hallum cheese that you fry. That is the most delicious thing. Why that cheese, It's just it's just called you know, and they call it Kisofrito. I don't know if it's called something else, but they would bring it the blocks of it, and the moment she would open that suitcase and that cheese would pop out, she was immediately slicing it and throwing it in a hot, sizzling pan. And and then the salami you know, there was there was this this company, and Dominican Republic is still there. It's one of the biggest salami companies. We eat a lot of salami, but we fry our salami. We don't really we don't really eat it, like as I said, charcouterie, like you know, cold and stuff, we can, but not this particular salami. This one is free. This one is fried, and and we would just eat that as a snack. And then the plantains, where you know, I think I think we've inherited the eating of plantains from our Africans of origins. And you boil the plantains and you mash them with butter and salt, and and you eat them and they make it into like a paste. And it's called like a mangoo, which I know that in Africa and certain countries they call it like a fou fool, right, but we call it mangool. And you put them the fried salami and the fried cheese, and you grill some pic is over it, and we just all the smell ine. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: But the smell of that and our kitchen meant that that, you know, Abulita from Dominican Republic was in town. And we would for the whole two weeks that she was visiting with us, my great grandmother, we knew that we were going to eat well. And she would sometimes go to the markets, certain markets in Queens or she would she would venture out and sometimes go out there down downtown to Manhattan or go to Brooklyn, and she would buy the coconuts, like really good coconuts that they would bring from the Caribbean. What would she do with coconut desserts, desserts, all types of macaroons, and she would make like these biscuits that we call cocon and she would make those, or she would grab a spoon, a very big spoon on My grandmother, my great grandmother, was a you know, she was just like a like a very simple woman and there was nothing she could do that, you know, and she would scrape the coconut sort of meat out of the coconut and it would it would kind of curl up. She would scrape it and she would curl it up, and then she she would put it on a pan with sugar and baking soda and vanilla, and she would let that cook down and then it would dry up, and then she would divide in these little like rolls that it was ours so.
Speaker 2: Here here.
Speaker 3: And she was a feisty lady. By the time I was born, she was already great grandma. So she was just like very feisty, like a really really gritty woman, you know, and she would grab everything with her hand like she would she would. There was one story though, that the biggest your shock for us, you know, when we moved to a Dominican republic was just yeah, was just how closely we lived with nature. You know, Like she had her garden in the back, so she would get all her herbs and fruits and everything from her backyard and she would come in and this was It's kind of like when you gave me the tour in your kitchen, there wasn't a written menu. She would make the meatballs from scratch, you know. She would grind the meat. She had her grinder. I remember, like, oh, the grinder's out, and she would like it was like a transformer. It came like a lego piece. She would like put it all together, screw it up her and just put the salami and the meat. She would the rabbi by by the cheese and she would just grind that. And then I would sit there and she would come on rush your hands and she would put like oil on my hands. And then we would make meatballs. And I was like, oh my god. And then you try these meatballs and they were just I haven't had a meatball like like hers.
Speaker 2: You should make it. Yeah, well, you remember, is I have a different I have a Hungarian grandmother. The story is that she traveled with her rolling pin. That whatever she came to visit, she'd come out just one hundred miles from New York and she'd bring the rolling pin. And the famous story in our family was that she came to see her first grandson. My mother's my older brother, and she came. It's quite a long trip and she got to the door and they said, would you like to come and see your grandson? And she said, let's eat first, priorities. But what we're talking really about is, you know, to see your face light up, to see your memories, to feel and hear you. Is that food is so important?
Speaker 3: You know? Is that we're going to ask her to make this? Yeah, that salted codfish.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: She would also meant like like a curd melk dessert that was so good. And I think that the moment my great grandmother passed away, I stopped eating dessert because the only I don't I have a savory tooth. I don't have a sweet tooth, as you know, but only for hers, I would eat any any desserts that she would make. And then she got sick with Alzheimer's when I was sixteen, and she sort of slipped away from us mentally quite quite rapidly. And then we took care of her for eleven years. And I just remember looking at her, like when I was like nineteen or twenty, It's like, I'm never going to try anything your hands ever made. And that was I remember. I cried a lot when that sort of like realizes that. And she's right in front of me, and I was just painting her nails, you know, just a distractor, and I just looked at her and I was like, it's over.
Speaker 2: But she was an artist, you know. She was what you're talking about is an illusionist, like Moses creativity going in there, you know. And now probably maybe if she'd been at a different time, she might have been a chef, you know, she might given the pleasure that she came to you as a grandmother, as you know, one of the women in the kitchen right now. I had no option to say, well, actually, this is what I love in my work, and I'm like, this is what I'm going to create. I always think that cooking is a bit like art, you know, except art last forever.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: Somebody eats that lemon tart you've worked hours over and it's gone. You know it's they're your.
Speaker 3: Grandmother, my great grandmother, your great grandmother hand make You can make those memories last forever. You have to pass it down. I have a picture of my grandmother in my kitchen. She's the first person I see and the last I say. Good not too And by keeping her picture of her, we are keeping her alive. Because my sons they won't have the experience that I had with my grandmother and my great grandmother. They lost their great grandmother really young. So it's in the stories I do tell them.
Speaker 2: Imagine a state bottled olive oil, chosen and bottled for the River Cafe, arriving at your door every month. Our subscription is available for six or twelve months, with each oil chosen personally by our head chefs and varying with each delivery. It's a perfect way to bring some River Cafe flavor into your home or to show someone you really care for them with the gift. Visit our website shop the Rivercafe dot co dot uk to place your order. Now, going back to going to the Dominican Republic at an early age, you discovered the food. You burn it in a place you knew, but in a different place, a different school. And was it also that you found that by eating and discovering food, but also by dancing that you were able to yea, you know, the tragedy of your father's life, the difficulty of living in a foreign country. How did dance affect you?
Speaker 3: Well, the foreign aspect of Dominican Republic sort of dissipated within the first couple of years because we are innately where our families come from. That's just undeniable. Dance became on a really important time in my life because trying to fit in and find my placement right when you're going into your early teenage years in terms of who am I, what am I? Why am I? And so going through all of that when it comes to discovering your identity while mourning the death of a very big figure in your life. The biggest figure in your life was your ten Oh, my dad was My dad was incredible. He played the guitar, he played the accordion. He was a very naturally curious person, very smart for business, danced very well. He and my mom they could have been arguing, but they would just get up and kind of like not face each other and still like like dance at all the birthday parties. And You're like, how could they do that? Like we're like sitting under a table just like marveling at just the polar you know, opposites of emotions that are being displayed in this beautiful, passionate dance that they're doing, which is mad anger salsa, and and they're just not looking at each other. And she would be like by by his left shoulder, like smoking her cigarette, like do do do do do dude, and he if he would turn to face her, she would do do do do do do do do? And you now I know that I'm like that night must have been banging for them, because you know that they were making love while they were Dad saying still and my dad. My dad was the was the one that taught my mom how to cook. Because my mom growing up as a single child with her grandparents while her mom was working in New York. My mom had everything made for her. She was spoiled by her grandparents. They gave her everything. She wore the best little outfits because my great grandmother, my mother and my grandmother were both seamstresses, so they would make everything from scratch, and she just had the best little outfits. So by the time she met my dad, she couldn't even boil an egg. And my dad was this could have been a chef. Oh my god. He would make just he would grill fish, he would grill meats, he would make the best beans, the best desserts. He knew. He was a baker, like just like a very self made kind of guy, you know. And even though they had different upbringings, my dad was just a lot more self sufficient and more independent than my mom. And my mom then you know, he taught her. So everything, everything that she does for us, it always comes with the memory of like, no, your dad used to make this in the middle of the night when I was pregnant with you guys, and blah blah blah blah blah. And so I at least I lived with the memories that she has been able to share with us, you know, because when you're ten, you remember just ten years. You documented ten years, and that's enough to me for me to last a lifetime. He was really on top of just hygiene and preparation, and with his Serio Valente jeans and his Calvin Klin like sweater. And my mom still remembers that. So I know I wasn't making it up, and I wasn't making this all fantastical, like she was like, No, that's the man that smelled the best I've ever met.
Speaker 2: Anybody dance with him.
Speaker 3: I was down on his feet. I come from a family, and I do know this that it is a cultural thing. We dance. We dance at funerals, We dance, had births. We dance. If you fail to test, we danced if you passed it. You know what I mean. It's you just dance, and you dance adding and you dance Alsa and neighbors all they can be doctors or architects, but they know how to play the gonghas, and they know how to play the drums and they'll come with a trumpet, and everybody sits in someone's backyard and you can see it. Even Puerto Rico is the same, Goolay is the same. Dominican Republic is very much that way. So I grew up just and and there's always everything is always a reason to have a party. It's somebody's it's somebody's baptism, and you sort of go, why are we having this parade? Like, no, no, it's a baptism, And you're like, but he's four. You're like, it's the biggest party, can last sixteen hours. And so I grew up always seeing great grandparents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, teenagers dancing, everybody always dancing. So we dance.
Speaker 2: We did as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, but that transition into dance was very different from what you do at home. Right. It was therapy. It was medicine for my soul. Yes, because I was I wasn't really acclimating enough.
Speaker 2: I just wasn't a Dominican Republic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom says that we were, but I think it was just grieving. We were just you were grieving. It was something that happened to us was very traumatic. In children don't really describe trauma. They don't really say I am going through something right now. They either shut down or they overreact. They just whatever it is, they're just not themselves. And that's the sign. That's the indication that they've experienced trauma and they're still like in a state of shock and ballet. Ballet became my outlet, my place, my safe haven I would go to after school. It was an environment that I can go and test myself and challenge myself and learn something new. So when you're learning something new, that takes a lot of your attention and your time, and that's what I needed. I needed a lot to put all of my attention, all of my time into something that was going to give me some kind of release and relief, and Ballet did that. It almost became an obsession. I was very blessed in the sense that throughout my life I had really great role models that took my mom, my, sisters, and I in and either cooking a meal or teaching us yeah something, you know. We were taken in and we were told that we can believe in ourselves, that we can believe in love again, that we can believe in life again, that we can do this, and we began our healing process, but it didn't come that quickly.
Speaker 2: It's a kind of rigor, isn't that that when you're following a recipe or you're learning how to do first position sex position, That rigor of a discipline of doing something allows you then to come be free. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And it gave me a confidence that I was beginning to lose. Studies show that children when they enter middle school, which is what you know, we were kind of about. We were still not out of elementary school when he passed away, but when the first couple of years after he was gone, we were entering middle school. That's around the time when children start losing their confidence. And I'm just happy that that ballet didn't allow me to lose it completely.
Speaker 2: And you went to New York. You went back to me.
Speaker 3: When I was seventeen, So from ten to seventeen, I was in Dominican Republic. By the time we were fourteen fifteen years old, we were beach heads. We were just like surfing. We were you you have a bad day, go to the beach. Yah. Yeah, you break your boyfriend breaks up with you, you go to the beach. You know what I mean? And and so we were always at the beach, we were always dancing, We were always at school, ballet, learning languages that sort of, you know. And then my mom found love again also when we were in Dominican Republic, by reconnecting with a childhood friend, and that began to also she began to kind of step out of her spell because my mom was in a really bad depression after my dad passed away for I would say like two to four years after he passed, and then she found love and they're still together, still married.
Speaker 2: Huh was that good for you? Yes?
Speaker 3: I was. I was fourteen. I think when they when they reconnected and they're still together, and he became he became my father. Yeah he is. He's a really good father and a really great husband, and he's funny and he's geeky, and yeah, he dances really great. So to see that my mom also was able to regain, you know, a good dancing partner, because dancing is really a part of who we are, alive, of our bank.
Speaker 2: You that into a profession for yourself when you came back, did you go to Julie did you?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no no. I danced in like a little Academy in Queens that I had to take a train and two buses for every day after school. It wasn't the same. I still kept at it, you know, for I would say two more years. By the time I was like to eighteen, about to be nineteen, I had already kind of started meddling with acting.
Speaker 2: So you went to auditions, tell us about just.
Speaker 3: One thing led to another. I had. I knew nothing about that way anything. I just knew that I was going to dance. And I guess, once I graduate high school, maybe I'll go to Sunny Purchase if I'm lucky enough and I really want to pursue this all, go to Yale and master in some kind of dance or psychology. And so I was starting to already think about that and working with the dean and your in your high school and everything. But deep, deep down, I had no desire of doing any of those things because I realized I had reached my glass ceiling in ballet ballet, and I wasn't able to shatter it. I just I didn't have the feet, and I was getting really tired of just punishing myself for not being good enough. And I had too much hunger in me that just being in the core of a company wasn't going to cut it for me if it cuts it for other people. I wished I was more like other people at that time, other dancers, but I wasn't, and I would pass by all these little theaters. When I was in Manhattan. My mom would only let me go with my sister to Kapezio, to the store in fifty seven and Columbus to go buy my shoes and go buy some leotards. Whenever I was like running out and it was like you come straight back. I hop on the train and comes straight back to Queens. But there was they were holding these auditions, and there was this little sign, yeah, like on the basement of like this brownstone uptown and it said New York Youth Theater holding auditions for the Wiz. And I looked at my sister, who at the time she was smoking cigarettes and she wasn't supposed to, so obviously she brings me into the city. She's like buys her pack a cigarettes and she's just smoking away as she's being like my chaperone, and I'm like, Marie, can I go check this out really quickly? And then we take the train and home and she's like looking look like her cigarette and kind of goes for yeah, sure and then puts it out. We go inside, we audition and no, no, no, she just she was there, signs me up and everything, and you know, but mind she's only a year older. It's not like she's much older than I am. But we were always partners and crying. My sisters and I. I auditioned for it, and I get called back for the Whiz. Yes, but it was like a small off off off that way.
Speaker 2: The other tribes of this story, these probably guys and actors, standing that this little girl, she's walked off the street, she wants to audition. Okay, you know, we'll do it. We have to do it, and it's you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and they were so nice they called me back. I remember waiting for that phone call. Every time the phone in my house would would ring, I'd be like, I got it, I got it, hello, you know. And finally it was them, and I think my sister took the call and she said, they're calling you back, so now we have to tell our parents. So I remember we did. I waited for my mom to come home from work and and I was like, well, don't be upset. But we I did audition for this place and I got called back, and she was just like, okay, what about ballet. I'm like, I don't know. I just they're just calling me for it's a call back. It's like, what's a call back. I don't even know what a callback was. What's a call back? I guess it's just the second round. It's not like I got it, it's just the second round. I'm so sorry. And then at this point, my mom takes off from work and she takes me with my sister for the callbacks, and I remember there was I'm reading for the role of the scarecrow.
Speaker 2: Guys. I sucked so bad.
Speaker 3: I hate my lines, but I can dance, I can do whatever. And my mom leans over to my sister and says, oh, boy, I guess that's what she wants to do, because I guess I was really bad at the audition because they're watching it. They're sitting in the theater and they're allowing the parents to watch the children because we're all miners. I was seventeen, yeah, I was seventeen, and my mom was like, oh, oh, am on, okay, this is what she wants to do. So then we all went back to the house. When I booked it, I didn't book the role of the scarecrow, but I booked to be like in the core. We go back and it's the news. Now we've told my grandmother, my stepdad, and my younger sister, Oh my god. But we're looking at the schedule with if I take off from work, then you can take Zoe, then maybe I'll pick her up. So at this point we're all We've always been a team. But we realized that with all my ballet commitments and I had to recital, there was just no way that I could do it without failing this academy, which I'd granted me a scholarship to dance.
Speaker 2: So happened.
Speaker 3: I called them up and I said, I can't do it, Thank you so much. I realized that my commitments with ballet are far greater and I just can't really do what but my younger sister can. And they were like, well, I'm like, she looks just like me. People things were twins and she used to dance, and at that time, my sister was going through like a really hard time, just sixteen years old. Can't fit in theater, just gave her what ballet had given me in my early years, so I say it for the poor. They did, and she started doing you know, she did the Whiz and she did Bye Bye Birdie. Then she did Jesus Christ Superstar, and she did a whole bunch of productions with this theater company for I would say like five six years. So all into like her, like twenty until she was like twenty years old or twenty one. I joined at once. I stopped dancing. Then I joined this other theater group in Brooklyn, and then they hired me. I did it through like an internship program from school, and then after I graduated high school, then they gave me a job with full coverage. I was eighteen, So I'm in this theater group in Brooklyn. My sister's the one in Broadway in Manhattan. So she's the one with all jazz hands and Bye Bye Bertie. And I'm writing skits about urban life and domestic violence and drug addiction with a whole bunch of kids and this other and we're performing in hospitals, in high schools and jails. Like I went to sing, sing to perform, you know, with this theater troupe, and I loved it because it was raw. It was awesome, but it was just dangerous. My mom just didn't want me going to Brooklyn. So one day she tells, my sister just convinced her, because I was also dating a guy that didn't want me dating whatever, just convinced her to audition for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor dream Coat at your theater and then we'll get her out of Brooklyn. I was I think, I was like I was nineteen. It all happened really fast. This was nineteen ninety seven. So I auditioned and I booked the role of missus Potiphar, and I really had fun, and I decided to stay with the production and with my sister, well at that point was doing more production work than being on stage because she's always had a good eye. And there was a manager in the room and signed signed me and started sending me out immediately for soap operas and shows like episodics and commercials, and and I started booking things left and right.
Speaker 2: It left home by then. Or are you living still at home?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no, no, oh my god, no, we're such a I'm still living with my parents.
Speaker 2: So you were still being cooked for I'm getting to the food.
Speaker 3: That yes, oh, my grandmother this point, my grandmother was always with us and and her husband and they lived. You know, my mom and my grandmother always lived within a block from each other or in the next building of each other. And that's how we grew up in Queens where I would open the window of my bedroom and go aha, and she would open her window gay and you would go in the jon. And this is how you greet all of your elders. You say bless me, and then they always respond, May God bless you. That's how you greet them. And that's how you say good night. In Spain you do it as well. And benizion and then she would literally come over from her apartment and her pjs and and come inside our apartment. What do you want? It's like Papa Mango, so beata.
Speaker 2: The River Cafe when you said lunch is now running from Monday to Thursday. Reserve a booking a www. Rivercafe dot co dot uk or give us a call. Did you ever have an apartment by yourself or did you did?
Speaker 3: I learned to cook. I remember I started doing pepper steak. I would make pepper steak all the time, like what is it with pepper steak? Like I would just make pepper steak pepper steak. And my mom is like, okay, great, So now why don't you learn to make beans? And I remember I called hi. I'm like, oh my god, are you sitting down. I figured out a way to make beans that I don't think you've ever done before. And she's like, let's hear it, you know, and she's well, I'm like, mom, I do the sofrito on the side and then I put it into the beans. And she was just like, Zoe, that's great, baby, that is so awesome. I'm so proud of you. If I remember, I'm like.
Speaker 2: So you can remember this when you were appearing on stage and you're doing the pride came also in the cooking.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, because even though I was I was living in Tribecca, so a little far from Queens. I was getting like home set.
Speaker 2: Were you dating a lot? We were going out with people I was.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: The next question is connected.
Speaker 3: I was a serial monogamer and I should have been more wild, you know, but I was always in relasion.
Speaker 2: Would you ever date somebody who didn't care about food? Could you imagine being in love with somebody who wasn't No, yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I. I always would fall for the guys that were homebodies, that were close to their families, that were very you know, they liked to be home and cozy. I didn't like the party.
Speaker 2: Finally fell for your husband to he's Italian.
Speaker 3: Yes, and he's a single child. So and he's Italian. So the sun rises and set some modical bayre Goo and he looks like the Catholics version of Jesus Christ. For a reason. He is sensitive and super just kind. He's a really he's the kindest person I've ever met in my life. And he cooks.
Speaker 2: And he grew up in Coma and.
Speaker 3: His family they owned a little restaurant and the cafe, and at one point they owned a bar. And it's no, they're they're in La with us. They're in the States. Because he's an only child. So for me, for me, it just made sense that I just want I wanted my kids to grow up with their grandparents from both sides the way that I grew up with mine, because I honestly feel that more than half of who I am was defined by the love that I received the unconditional, you know, love that I received by my grandparents and great grandparents.
Speaker 2: And so you tell us about your cooking world with him. You have two sons, three three boys.
Speaker 3: But Madigo was definitely an Italian, you know, dandy chat mean pirate. When I met him, you know, and I just I remember he was always like got am bah and I'm like, I'm from Queens, New York. I'm just like, come on, where's your voice going here? Because he was always a kid. He's an artist, well, I disciplinary is a sculptor and a painter and a conceptual artist. And now he's a director. But he does everything manco just lives in the part and that's really he creates exactly. And I just remember when we met, I was always so hard and he was like, I want to take you to go and I want you to try the best pizza in the world. I'm like, are you kidding me? The best pizza on Prince Street. You know, I was, come on, kid, what are you talking about? And I just remember we we go to Napoli, we do the whole thing, We eat the pizza Brita. It's amazing. And then cut to you, like a week later, we're on some sidewalk in New York and we're having a slice of pizza and he looks at me. He goes, see, without a doubt, a New York slice is the best in the world. And I'm like, Pappy, I told you, come on, come on, man. I know you got Italy, but I got New York.
Speaker 2: Baby. My friend who has a group of friends and they go out every once a month finding the best pizza place in New York. They've come up with one in Jersey they love they have.
Speaker 3: Oh there's one in Jersey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'll find out.
Speaker 3: You gotta tell me.
Speaker 2: I will well, because another friend of mine did it as well. He went, they kind of like this place. I think it's in Jersey City. Do you like Italy? Do I love that?
Speaker 3: Now? It's it's home for me. It's it's it's half of who I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Where do you go?
Speaker 3: My favorite region is Liuia. There's something really beautiful about the Italian Riviera.
Speaker 2: Do you go to the chic Utera.
Speaker 3: We rented a house one time in sestri Levand there in the middle of summer, just to see all these Italian families come from all over Italy to vacation in sestri Lelande, which is you know, it's close to Chincoda, it's just forty minutes, but it's like a melting pot of this beautiful social your economic you know, communities and so very working class, very upper class, but they're all together and the beach, taking their kids to the fair. So we love doing that. We definitely always go to Lago de Gadada to visit the family who's still there, and in other towns that are neighboring to Lago de Gadada. Milan is always a place where we we we're just there. We land in Milan and from there we drive everywhere. We've been in Florence, all through Tuscany, Rome. I need to explore Rome more because I'm a little now that my husband is from the north, I'm a little Northerner now. I'm always like, it's those vals. I don't know, it's like it's no and so hot and be there's too anything, blah blah blah blah. B Marco loves Rome and there's something really beautiful about the Italian culture that you can you can ask a little four year old, Yeah, but why do you how does your nor not make your boss La Basila nola blah blah blah blah, and they tell you all the ingredients. I'm like, how good a four year old little boy know how to make this pasta? And it's like thirty thousand days with four simple ingredients, and they just they're so versatile and so the Italian cuisine and its simplicity. For me, it's one of the best cuisines in the world. It's just so beautiful and there's so much love in it. There's just so much love, and I don't know, I just think.
Speaker 2: That, well, it made sense to have lunch. But before we do, Amelia Paris, we should talk about them. That's how we met. Yes, we met over a movie and you are deeply involved in the season for the prizes, but making of it, it would be interesting to feel just being on that movie what it meant to you.
Speaker 3: I was so excited. It is not the first time I've worked in Paris. I did. I did parts of a film that I was in called Colombiana years before in Paris, and the sound sound stages, same sound stages that I did. I did. Yeah, there are like forty minutes outside of the center of Paris. I'm super great. The French hours are very much like Italian hours. They don't like to overwork, so it's not like the English and the South Americans. We're like, fourteen hours not enough, let's keep shooting, and you're like, wait, wait, we've done eight. It's enough.
Speaker 2: Because I always hear French hours big the way you eat as well that this is it called French howers when you don't have lunch.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I don't know where that comes from, because the French are very much like Boom. They're like, okay, let me put this down, let's go eat. They sit down. Back in the day when I was shooting Caulomena, they would have some bottles of wine on the table. Now you don't, but that's okay. But you eat so well. Nobody gives you a styrofoam plate and with plastic things like we do in other parts of the world where we shoot. Everybody has, you know, silverware and a plate. And you sit down and we all talk and and everybody takes a break and we really eat, and then everybody goes smokes the cigarette drinks. They're shot of us, but so and then we go work. But you do your eight to ten hours and then everybody goes home. You come home and I'm I'm shooting in Paris. You're having a baguette and a bottle of wine. You know, you're debriefing with Selena, with Edgar, with Godla. You know, you're talking about what you're doing and why is this special for you and how it impacted your life. Godless teaching us about the trans experience by just sharing anecdotes of her life that no matter how painful, dark or bright, they've shaped her identity. And I'm learning from Selena. I'm getting to work up close and personal with this pop star. On paper, she's a pop star, when in reality she's a decent and an incredible human being, so talented, with such great taste. Boss Lady, Edgar's just sexy. Edgar's so classy, so worldly. You know, he grew up he was born in Europe, and he grew up partially in South America and Europe and speaks like five languages. And so and we're all here and Adriana. Adriana comes as this Queen of Mexico with so much recognition, awards, such great body of work, and we're all excited to be here with Jack you know who who has been at some point in our lives and in our careers just an icon and a giant in his own right, and our hearts were open.
Speaker 2: Did you discover the restaurants so that you ate a lot in the eleventh at those new restaurants are so interesting?
Speaker 3: Are they are? They are a lot.
Speaker 2: Of young cooks were doing different wines, different food.
Speaker 3: Well. And to realize too that as city folks in Paris, like they have their version of Asian food that is like their everyday food and its numbs. It's Vietnam Vietnamese food. And I just remember having like the best Vietnamese food in Paris. And and but I know, but always always going back to my default of es cargo, a bottle of Saint Emilion and maybe some a duck com feet. It's just it's just what I m go to. But every now and then I always yearned for Asian flavors or for most cultures. There's great Argentine restaurants there, there's great Italian. There's the sushi scene. I haven't really tapped into the Japanese scene, but everybody loves sushi in Paris. But I'm just so busy having real typical French food and having Italian and Argentine food. It's like it's I just you know, everybody loves you, but nah, that's in all these things.
Speaker 2: And how did the film? We should talk about more about film? Are you here to do work for the movie now at all?
Speaker 3: It's so, you know, we have we have seventeen we have what nineteen more days before the voting. Voting opens on the eleventh of February, and then they close, I believe on the nineteen. So I guess this is very new territory for me, and I've enjoyed, you know, the whole process. And to me, the everything that was being put together was all in favor of complementing these four women's journey, and their journeys were not you know, they weren't great to say that, but they were so real and they were so human, and they were so diverse in their own right. You know, with a trans woman with a young woman that was the you know, the wife of a crime lord, with a lawyer, with a battered woman that was trying to run away from a domestic sort of abusive situation. And they're all just in a way interconnected and looking for their most authentic selves and that is what drew me.
Speaker 2: And we're all in all of the movie and all of what you. Thank you. And so I think that you've described life of happiness, of struggle, of loss, of grief, of joy, children finding love. And there have been times when obviously you've found comfort in dance. You'd say you've found comfort in your family. And there is also times when we seafood is not staving off hunger or expressing something, but it is pure come for. My last question to you is to say, if you needed comfort, and I hope you don't, but if you did, is there a food that you would turn to?
Speaker 3: Any Dominican stew cures me, heals me. And now that my husband has been in my life, an he's such a big part of who we are and the same way I am a big part of who he is. Any Italian stew as well, Tenny Lisoto, I will take. And I do have to say that the older I get, the more I am connecting with my mother's through food, the farm to table, the growing something and making something with your bare hands has been an event that just keeps growing, an act, a process that keeps growing in me, and it's just bigger and bigger, and I just I bake the bread for my boys, even though I'm here promoting a movie. Right before I left, I baked their bread. I'm going to start making their yogurt. I just all the things that they actively eat. And I know that the pasta eventually I will have to make it on my own, because the more and more I'm educating myself about the kind of food that is out there today, which is very different to the food that I ate as a child. A lot of our ailments come from food, and I just want my children to always become particular eaters and always yearn for things that are fresh and well made and properly handled versus whatever is in that I can throw in this instant thing and it can give me something super back, give me something back quickly. So we make everything from scratch. I make their bone broth from scratch. I bake their you know, their their banana bread, and I put a whole bunch of stuff in it, you know, in their meatballs. I put all the veggies that I can process, you know, I can, I can you know, blend in it. And that way they creating a palate that is just inflexible for bad food. You know what I mean, because it's it's the way that I was raised. I'm still the kind of person that because I was raised on such great flavors and such organic ways of eating, I can't just go anywhere to eat. I will refuse and I will kindly pass and drink tea, you know, until my next sob where I can eat something fresh. And my husband is the same way, so we want our kids to sort of grow up that way.
Speaker 2: Well, you're a woman of values. It's strong and strong and no fear.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, thank you, thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair