Speaker 1: I'm Manny, I'm Noah, and this is no such thing. On today's episode, we're trying to find out if it's possible to cure picky eating. No, there's no no such thing.
Speaker 2: Such a thing than.
Speaker 1: This episode is in collaboration with the search Engine podcast hosted by p J vote Uh. It was a lot of fun to do and we're just gonna let them take it away from here.
Speaker 3: Do you guys want to introduce yourselves?
Speaker 1: Absolutely. My name is Manny, I'm Noah.
Speaker 3: And this is Devon and search Engine listeners may remember you. You guys were on the show previously. Usually we answer people's questions. You guys showed up with a question which you then answered, which was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why are there so many chicken bones on the streets?
Speaker 3: It was it was an investigation. People honestly still email me about people. I think there are just Americans now who walk down the streets, see a chicken bone, and think about these three unusual gentlemen from New York.
Speaker 4: We answered this.
Speaker 1: I love to hear that.
Speaker 4: We got an email last week about it.
Speaker 5: Really Yeah, someone sent us a picture of a chicken bone.
Speaker 1: Not that the like. We were still doing research for the episode I think.
Speaker 3: Since that first story published a year ago, Manny, Noah, and Devin have started their own podcast. They answer questions something I was pretty sure we completely invented, but whatever. I think the reason their show is so good is their excellent question choosing the big questions that come out of their arguments. These three are always arguing about stuff like do audiobooks count as reading? Do horses hate running? Well?
Speaker 1: Actually, today an episode came out called is it okay to wear your outside clothes on your bed? Oh?
Speaker 3: I've been Uh, I've been criticized for this quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Ye, I'll ask you, do you think it's okay?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a lot of things I do that I don't think are okay, But I will I go to bed like I don't know the people you're talking about have discussing are But I'm definitely worse than that. Like I will get in bed, I will sleep in my jeans.
Speaker 1: That's an extreme case. That's pretty nasty.
Speaker 3: It's disgusting. I mean why because I don't.
Speaker 4: Like, you have really comfortable jeans.
Speaker 1: They're not they're like they are like jeggings, or like they're not they're broken in.
Speaker 3: I'll they're very broken, just like by the end of the day, the exertion of literally I sometimes I just don't have it anyway. The reason the Chicken Bone Squad was back here today was because once again they had a question for our show which they wanted to find the answer to, a question we hear at search Engine found particularly delightful.
Speaker 1: Today. We have a problem, and I'm grateful to be able to use this platform again to answer something so stupid. But I'm a member of the picky eating community and that's OK. That's run into a lot of issues in this friend group. It's run into a lot of issues in my relationship, specifically because my version of pickie eating is an aversion.
Speaker 3: To seafood across the board, No, seafood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much across the board.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's like, are you a lifelong picky eater?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And it's just has it been the same versions since you were a kid or have you developed, Like as your palette has advanced, has your pickiness also advanced?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think it's been lifelong, especially with seafood. I am to tell you a layout a little bit about like my background, so I'm eritrean American. Both my parents are from Eritrea, and in that cuisine there's really no seafood at all. Unless you are from one of the port towns on the Red Sea, you don't eat seafood. So I didn't grow up with any seafood. The only seafood exposure I had was like at elementary school or middle school where they would have like the fish Fridays or fried shrimp or whatever.
Speaker 3: But so, would you eat the fried shrimp when you're a kid?
Speaker 1: I did, but I didn't know what it was because.
Speaker 3: It is always carrying the weight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is what struck me about this aversion because it wasn't the taste at the time, because it's knowing what it is is what made me.
Speaker 3: I understand it, don't. I don't find pickiness in food consumption strange, and like I like seafood, but there was like I had a couple of years with shrimp all the sudder. It's like I'm not doing that, and then it came back because they're like they are like insects. It's like you're eating this like weird fat worm that has like that visible poop in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yes.
Speaker 1: And my family ends up being a good exam for this because although none of my siblings grew up eating fish, they all love fish, Okay, they like it. Now there are another group of people who I'm running into this issue with. We cannot go out to eat and get what they want to get because I'm there.
Speaker 3: And what are the conversations around this, Like they're.
Speaker 1: Like stop being Yeah, I won't use the words. Basically, I'm like being a child and like preventing them from getting what they want to get. And I'll just say this, like, for the picky eaters out there, I don't think you should change who you are. But for me specifically, I'm running into this enough to where I'm curious about whether it's possible to cure your picky eating. I want to know if, like, is there something I can do to make it so that I can tolerate fish enough to be able to be at a restaurant and not cause any issues when I'm ordering in a group or with myro.
Speaker 3: And is the idea that you'll let like actually consume it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think like the ultimately, like it'd be great if I was just towing down on like any kind of fish, shrimp, tuna, whatever, But mostly I just want to be able to exist in this restaurant space and like not be a hindrance to people who you know, in New York, it's a lot of money, so to go out to eat. If you're paying that much money and you're not eating what you want to eat, I feel like I don't want to be an obstacle to, you know, someone's desires. Okay, So that's the question that we came here to answer, like is it possible to cure picky eating? And we started with Noah. We had him kind of look into the history of picky eating and some of the stuff people have done to try and cure it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So what I found was the kind of idea of even just choosing what you eat is actually a pretty recent historical phenomenon. I mean, you can imagine most people just had to eat whatever was given to them throughout history. So I mean, like the term picky eating didn't even exist until the seventies, or wasn't used until the seventies. But there has been kind of this war between picky children and their parents for probably since like the eighteen hundreds, so I mean for the past century or so, parents and doctors have been trying all sorts of ways to cure this modern affliction. There's all sorts of cookbooks designed to help parents sneak healthy foods into recipes. The kids might actually try things like spinach and browniesie, Yeah, which is pretty perverse. I feel like, yeah, there's probably some better ways to do it. Hopefully, you know, maybe new technology is helping this. I hope hypnotherapy is actually a popular method for that's for both children and adults. So maybe Manny can try that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love to.
Speaker 6: But one of the most common, and definitely the one I was most familiar with, is what i'd call forced exposure. So, all right, you hate some food, but if we just kind of force you to eat it or be around it, then maybe eventually you're just kind of give in and up to that. This is a decent food to eat.
Speaker 3: And common because it's uh successful, or common because it's just what every parent defaults do.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's just kind of an obvious thing to try. It's also very popular on daytime TV.
Speaker 3: Daytime TV.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so shows like Maury. I mean, you could find a lot of examples of this. It makes for great TV fodder, you can imagine. So I want to show you a clip.
Speaker 3: Actually, okay, this is Mariah.
Speaker 2: She's eighteen years old and she is deathly afraid of pickles. I mean, the whole world eats pickles.
Speaker 3: There's a woman who looks like she just found out she's dying. She's shaking school.
Speaker 2: Was called the pickle Girl.
Speaker 3: And then they're presenting her with trays and trays and trays of pickles.
Speaker 2: This is what the side of a pickle does to Mariah.
Speaker 4: Everything about pickles?
Speaker 3: Are is it crazy? What every idea you have has been done by someone in a umermeanor.
Speaker 2: We wanted to see firsthand the extent of Mariah's pickle phobio, so we sent her to the Patterson Pickle Factory, where she would come face to face with thousands of thousands of pickle maris.
Speaker 6: A saydust, listen, if Mariah the Pickle Girl is out there, I would love to hear you know where you are now and kind of what your life has been like.
Speaker 3: It seems like being on Maury being humiliated for having a very unusual psychological response to pickles is so much worse than the problem she was trying to solve.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So like need just to say at the end of the segment, the pickle girl is still very much afraid of pickles, and like the research says, forced exposure therapy like that just doesn't actually work right.
Speaker 3: Stacking the thing people have a problem with in their face over and over response is like good daytime TV.
Speaker 6: But yeah, so we could have just take Manny to some factory and hope it would go away. But we tried to find a scientist who had studied this kind of stuff. So we actually came across the professor at Duke University, who is one of the first people to really hone in and look at picky eating in a comprehensive way.
Speaker 1: We wanted to first just ask if you could say your name and what you do.
Speaker 7: My name is Nancy Zooker, and I am a professor of psychiatry at Duke University and I direct the Duke Center for Eating Disorders.
Speaker 1: Great, I'll tell you a little bit about my experience with this. Yeah, I've been a picky eater my whole life. I have a specific aversion to seafood and fish, and so what we're kind of planning to do with this episode is cure that as best as we can. And so you know, you did just mention that you worked at the Center for Eating Disorders. I guess my first question is do I have an eating disorder?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: You know, so the boundary in which being a picky eater is defined as a disorder is based on impairment. And so if you're a version to fish, does it include seaf food like shrimp skeleton?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of it, all of it, the whole lot of it.
Speaker 7: Right, So like if you were I suppose I'm aspiring New York chef and it was getting in your way of kind of designing the menu of your dreams, then it might be, you know, crossing over into impairment. But if it doesn't get in your way, then it probably wouldn't cost. The lines of a.
Speaker 3: Disorder interesting, So it's kind of the same way we're defining like depression or alcoholism. Like whether behavior rises the level of disorder has to do with how well you're able to fit in society exactly, And how we draw the line between picky eating and disordered eating is like how much it's impairing your relationship to society, Which is funny because it's like I'm not going to disagree with psychiatry, but like I slightly disagree with that where I'm like, but we kind of do know, Like there's a difference between like, oh, I have an aversion and like, oh, it's like a deep psychological pain. Like it feels like an insufficient way to describe the severity of the problem, but I'll allow it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man is not so extreme as in like he goes out to eat with us, and he can be in a presence of seafood. But some people don't even want to be. You can't smell it, you can't look at it right, Like.
Speaker 1: But I do feel disgusted by like fish, just like when they're alive, Like they're slippery and squirmy, and in the world, I'm not gonna throw up, but I'm like a live fish. Yeah, a beautiful school of fish that disturbs you. There are some I get it.
Speaker 4: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'll defend you against your friends. Man, he's talking about you're on the beach on vacation. You're standing, the water's up like your thighs and something like something rushes on your leg is something squirmy and black kind of squirrels.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Did you go to aquariums as a kid? Yeah, so you were just like, oh, this.
Speaker 1: Is giant fish are different.
Speaker 4: Oh, you don't like small fish.
Speaker 1: There's the little ones that are like skiming something like.
Speaker 3: The famous spots of fish.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But so you wouldn't like if you're out for dinner with your girlfriend and like a waiter walked by with a you know, a plate full of like shrimp on a kebab, you don't care. But if you're with your friends and they're being jerks and they like picked up a shrimp and dangled in your face, you would feel discussed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be like, get get it, get that out of my face.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I asked doctor Zucker to explain to me, like, what's what's going on with this disgust factor, Like why is that happening?
Speaker 7: So disgust is a really cool emotion in my opinion. Right, So it's designed to protect us from getting contaminated from pathogens. Right. So it has a very protective function. And so when you think about how one becomes contaminated, we get contaminated when something crosses a body barrier. We ingest it, we inhale it, we absorb it through our skin across the some orifice, and by the time it does that, you're contaminated and it's too late, and so there should be these cues that people who are discussed sensitive pick ups. You mentioned slimy, right, these kind of things that just look to us like they're threatening and they could cause us to be contaminated. And you know, it's interesting that it's restricted to that one area. I would guess that you're pretty detailed sensitive in other things like that. You notice like visual details of things.
Speaker 1: Like textbo Oh, yeah, I'm really observant. I'm a video producer, and so that's kind of like part of my whole thing. It's ruined to movies for me. Actually, I can't watch movies like a normal person anymore.
Speaker 7: Oh, it wasn't that so interesting, right? So I just I think that that's like a cool adaptive trait that might not be as adaptive to the modern environment. But like if you are a cave dweller back in the day, perhaps you would have outlasted your peers.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, Mannie. It's like you have a brain that is suited for being a cavebeller, where it's like avoid unfamiliar foods at all costs because they could be poison. And it's like sending you the right signals. But the problem is we're in a world where everything we want to do is just fit in socially, and the fact that your poison avoiding brain is telling you not to eat fish is causing you like three percent social friasion, which is the worst thing that could happen in modern society.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think, yeah, I think my ex once described me as someone who had a brain suited to be a cave dweller's that's not the first time I've heard that comment, actually, But I was interested in why Devin and Noah don't have the same problem that I do. So that's interesting in terms of my experience. But Devin and Noah here love fish. Why isn't their body telling them to avoid fish?
Speaker 7: Well, because it's pretty adaptive to eat fish, right, Like, not everything's contaminated. So there needs to be this kind of balance of like people that have kind of a low bar for trying out things and adventuring and testing things out and seeing if it's okay. So there should be variation in the population about kind of one sensitivity to these different features. So you got some people taking risks like your friends, and you know you who is kind of holding back and saying like, you guys, try it first.
Speaker 5: So what's interesting is that doctor Zucker actually did a study a few years ago with twenty thousand self described picky eaters.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: And part of what they were trying to figure out what the study, especially with her work with kids, it's like, what are the things that your parents did that helped with your pick eating? And what are some of the things that they did that like really fucked you up?
Speaker 4: But she said, the.
Speaker 5: Things that are helpful are like creating positive experiences with your kids, involving them and prepping the food. Like one example they had is like introducing cultures with food as a way to introduce new foods to kids.
Speaker 3: Oh like the culture from which the food.
Speaker 5: Exactly, like giving some background on it, making it feel more like an experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, versus here's this thing in front of you, eat it now.
Speaker 3: So it sounds like basically since we were kids, the it's like the picky eating, like literature has progressed, like the fuel of getting kids to eat things that might be unfamiliar or weird like people, because I don't think like like my parents or most of those parents were reading books that were like sit your kids table with the plan roc they tell everyone's crying, but like, gods are their parents? Does that's what they were doing? And it's like people have actually thought about this, and like psychiatry has approached this, and like we have ideas about what to do.
Speaker 5: Exactly interesting but honestly the coolest thing about doctor Zucker and her team and they take all this data, all this information that they gather, and then they apply it to individual plans for individual people. So we asked her, Hey, we're putting together a plan for Manny. Can you help us sort of shape what that plan looks like.
Speaker 7: So this is very simplistic, but like I have a grid where it's like, you know, sweet and salty is, let's say, on the X axis, and like chewy and crunchy is on the y access And so like, Manny, if you were to like plot the foods that you currently prefer and eat, you know on this you can get the picture right, like, you know, is there a kind of a pattern in terms of the textures and tastes that you prefer?
Speaker 5: So basically her advice was like, try to introduce fish in a format that many might already like. So maybe like a fish dish that's crunchy and salty, you know that sort of thing.
Speaker 7: You know, like parents will often start with like fish sticks for example. You know, like things like that are like really really crispy shrimp because there's more breading to fish. You know, you guys get the picture.
Speaker 1: She basically said, like start with fried foods or put it in a sandwich.
Speaker 3: Like she said, just putand just.
Speaker 1: Like because I'm already used to eating sandwiches and I like sandwiches. Like maybe if you do a fish sandwich, this is like a very entry level way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, things that can help mask the fishiness.
Speaker 1: Yes, or fried foods. Get do some fried fish, fish and chips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fried fish. We're testing them.
Speaker 4: Fish sandwich.
Speaker 1: Maybe she didn't say sandwich. Maybe that it's an example the doc.
Speaker 5: And she also said like you should be realistic about what you're going to do, right, Like first step shouldn't be like I'm going to eat a hundred.
Speaker 4: Bites of this fish.
Speaker 5: Yeah, She's like ticket one bite at a time, small bites, like take the keys that your body is giving you as well.
Speaker 7: You know, like I would really do this, like be gentle with yourself. Think about like how many bites I want to kind of manage Do I want to just get over that initial gag and call it a day.
Speaker 4: She's like, you should have a chaser.
Speaker 7: I would absolutely have a chaser.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like a shot of whiskey or something. Yeah, or like.
Speaker 7: Another a bite of food. I work with five year olds, for gosh sakes, like chocolate chips. You know.
Speaker 3: My views this like ends with you guys that like in all you can eat seafood restaurant and you're just hammered like vomiting. Yeah, you could drink your way through a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Not the purpose of this whiskey is to clear the taste.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, kind of reset. Okay, yeah yeah, that feel good.
Speaker 1: So she gave us a few tips that were, you know, smart and reasonable. But what I really wanted to know before diving in was, you know, as a doctor, did she think this experiment could work? Do I have a real shot at curing this?
Speaker 7: I think that the odds are in your favor, And I'll tell you why. One is because it is restricted to this one domain, You're able to tolerate the look and smell of it and be around it. Right, So that's another kind of clue that it's not as severe as it could be. You're highly motivated to work on this, which means that you're going to go into it with your threat kind of perception down and be more kind.
Speaker 1: Of just curious about it.
Speaker 7: And you're doing it for your girlfriend, which is just lovely. And so there's like all the things that would be rooting for you to be able to get through this or on your side.
Speaker 3: After a short break a series of trials and experiments, will Manny be able to cure his picky eating? Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: So after talking to doctor Zucker, you know, I felt a little bit more confident about our goals here, still a little skeptical, but like we have a plan now we have this experiment, and so Noah, Devin and I thought it's finally time to do this thing which is right, which was three steps of fishy meals and increasing fishiness. All right, this is Manny. I've just sat down with the first of three increasingly fishy meals. I recorded everything along the way. Uh, we just jumped straight into step one, which you know, I found myself sitting in my apartment with some takeout. There is a restaurant by me in my neighborhood that's kind of moderately popular, and it's a seafood restaurant and I've ordered their fried fish sandwich. It's a spicy fried fish sandwich.
Speaker 3: So you were thinking fried fish sandwich, because again, fried is a dominant flavor, yes, and sandwich.
Speaker 1: Also also the sandwichwich. It's in a vehicle that I know and love.
Speaker 3: You're mainly eating like fish inflected bread.
Speaker 1: That's what I would like to hope. Okay, Yeah, So I'm sitting there examining the sandwich. I am touching it, I'm smelling it, I'm assessing it. Generally, my first kind of thought is that it looks exactly like a fried chicken sandwich, and for that reason, I think all of the receptors in my brain are are saying, Wow, this looks really good, and it smells good as well. Crucially, though, we're gonna try to see if it tastes good or tastes good specifically to me. And so yeah, let's take this first bite. And the first bite is great because there's no fish in it. You're just I just got the fried park and I'm like, oh wait. As I look at the sandwich, I'm like, oh, there's the fish. Definitely fish. I can already tell my jaw is like slowing down, like my brain does not want me to continue chewing this, but I'm gonna fight through it.
Speaker 3: Did you gag?
Speaker 1: I didn't gag. I think because there's spices in the fried part are so like they were so savory, and they were so what's the word, they smelled really good and I didn't. I don't know. I think it just masked the fishiness. I kind of like barely taste the fish in this, but I still do taste the fish, and so that is my body is just kind of like it is not enjoying that part of this, the fish.
Speaker 3: So it tasted grows. But it was kind of a success in that you were able to like, like people eat food they don't like all the time. That's that's different than having a disgust reaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I ate a few more bites. I think. I mean, if if you guys looked at the sandwich like you didn't touch this thing. But for someone who has an aversion, I ate a lot of the sandwich.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think if we were we weren't with many when he ate the sandwich, I think if we were there, we probably would have forced a few more bites, which is probably against the wisdom of the doctoral.
Speaker 3: As like parenting the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I school.
Speaker 3: The sandwich were like a moon, Like what phase of moon would it be? Like, there's full moon, there's moon.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're talking pretty close to full where's about to.
Speaker 4: Come right bright?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Maybe the night before a full moon?
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm seeing.
Speaker 1: The night before. No, but I think what I took to be a success was that I even ate part of a thing that was touching fish.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, yeah, So step one we could generously call a success, so we wanted to up the difficulty level a little bit.
Speaker 1: For step two.
Speaker 6: We decided to do a home cooked meal. Yeah we're outside welcome, So Devin and I were going to cook. So we got some ingredients and went to Mandy's place. It's our and Devin and I had googled a few different fish recipes to consider.
Speaker 4: Do you remember to search terms we used, Yeah, I mean like.
Speaker 6: Fish for babies, like easy, easy fish recipes for kids, things like that.
Speaker 1: Just insulting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, a lot of it was pretty simple, kind of either whitefish or salmon roasted in butter and kind of covered in garlic or other things. Yeah, fish tacos, sheep, pan fish, and chips. But we wanted something that wasn't super fried. We wanted to kind of step it up a little bit so we'd actually kind of see if he can take this next step or if we're kind of still stuck at the fried fish stage. And we landed on a recipe that I've made several times before from the New York Times, Roasted salmon glazed with brown sugar and mustard.
Speaker 3: Damn had it.
Speaker 6: It's Sam sifted and it's a very popular one.
Speaker 4: It's really good and it's super easy.
Speaker 6: It's like you don't even need the recipe really Yeah, And what was good was you could dial in the kind of sweetness of the sauce and how much there is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it's brown sugar and Dijon mustard.
Speaker 4: Almost like barbecue sauce on the tread.
Speaker 6: So let's see, this one on the left is going to be the one for Manny. So I'm gonna make sure that one's extra sauce.
Speaker 1: We added way more glaze than whatever. Noah had any taste the glaze, and I was like, we're gonna need more, yeah more so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was pretty covered. We made sautee green beans as a palate cleanser, and he had whiskey on the rocks as his other palate cleanser.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm here with my whiskey that I'm probably gonna need after this. This looks worse while I'm going in, so then I ate some of it, and the glaze was really good, and I remember kind of being like, this is the first time I could see why someone would like this. Really, it's it's like this tastes good. I don't want to say that it doesn't taste good. It's more of the it's more of the like mental factor of like trying to get past what it is. But I will say this, I'm having an easier time eating this than the fish sandwich. Really, I was taken aback by the feeling of like, oh I can I kind of get it. I get this.
Speaker 3: It's like the feeling you get with like an unfamiliar genre, Like the first time you hear like a country song, you like, oh yeah, right, it might not be for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the guys singing about his rent is too high or whatever. Yeah, wait, my rent is too high. That is pretty much the feeling I had eating this salmon.
Speaker 3: Okay, so phase two relatively successful. Yeah, can I just observe that I don't know if, like if like picky eating is mainly just a social problem, Like it's not like you have some food deficiency for not even fish or whatever. You just I understand that you guys are trying to solve this problem partly because like you have a podcast to make and you have a question for the podcast whatever. You just have very nice friends, like the legs that you guys are willing to go, Yeah, to make this work is very sweet.
Speaker 1: And yeah, no I thought about that. It's and it's in stark contrast to how our usual dynamic is. And so I was struck by that at some point during this experiment.
Speaker 3: Even because they weren't just like teasing you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Noah looking up a recipe making me a meal. I know, it's kind of wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So now that takes us to the real test, which is step three, going to an actual restaurant to see how big of a paint of ass is in many.
Speaker 4: And honestly, I didn't know how this was gonna go.
Speaker 5: Step one two I thought went fine, but I was curious how many was going to perform and an actual restaurant with some actual fish dishes.
Speaker 4: So where do you guys go?
Speaker 1: We went to a restaurant called Swoonies in Brooklyn. It's just like a neighborhood spot.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I like Swooties. They have some weird, cool fish dishes there.
Speaker 6: I believe that's the fish that's like their main fish entre.
Speaker 7: I've never heard of that before.
Speaker 1: Do either of you know what crudo is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were a bunch of fish dishes that we had never heard of, but we ended up choosing three of them, and the first one was the tuna krudo.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing about this dish, So tuna crudo, it's raw, like cubed tuna, but it's in kind of like a salad with like avocado and what is that cilantro. But the main part that I liked was that it's served with this bread that is incredibly buttery. And so what we were doing were put all this stuff onto the bread and then eating it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of your sandwich theory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one wants to acknowledge the sandwich theory is a valid theory. And the one thing I remember is not tasting the tuna at all, Like I just didn't taste the tuna first reaction, Like, there's definitely a little bit of the texture you're getting in there, but it's really good. Like the whole thing's really good. I'm taking a second bite. It's kind of rare for me a second.
Speaker 6: I was shocked because he went in and immediately was just like, oh, I like this.
Speaker 3: I was kind of like, oh, we can.
Speaker 1: Just go now, I mean, we did it.
Speaker 6: Shocked by what I'm seeing. Not only does he like it, He's actively going back for more bites.
Speaker 1: I think we might need to order another entre here. This is crazy. So then after the crudo came the lobster orizo, which was another advertiser, and it's I mean, ores of people don't know what it is, like it's pasta kind of but it's like thicker rice, I guess, and it's got This one's more of a red sauce and it's really creamy and delicious. But the thing that I thought helped a lot with our experiment here is that you couldn't really see the lobster inside.
Speaker 3: It's like hiding spinach in a brownie.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. You're kind of like micro dosing seafood.
Speaker 3: But you were finding that your micro dosing seafood experience was like not just that you were tolerating it, but enjoying it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm having a really good and in my view successful experience as spoonies. But I do imagine if we went to like a lobster shop or something and it was just straight up lobster forking knife, you'd still have some struggle.
Speaker 3: Or if you went too like a Portugese restaurant vertise, I'll serve you like a whole fish with the eye looking at Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, But I mean like I don't really like like every time it's a full fish, this doesn't feel right. Like I'm more on your side of it, where like fish can be an ingredient, fish can mean ingredient, and I feel like if the progress you've made is fish can bet an ingredient, that's progress.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it did feel like progress, like I was actually eating the stuff that that they were putting down on the table. But then the final dish came out and it didn't look like the other ones, like it actually just looked like you know, out here, I'll just show you a photo. I think I was calling it deraate a without knowing, but this, you know, this is just literally a fish without the head I.
Speaker 3: Think, and without the tail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this was the final test. This is like the final boss, right. I took a fork full, I examined it, and then I for it. What can I say? It's really good, the tar the tarredness of the skin on the top. This tastes like a steak. And so I don't know, this is really good, but the.
Speaker 3: Way you fully enjoyed, like an actual filet of fish.
Speaker 1: That was really good to me, not fried, not fried, And there was very few kind of hang ups about it. Five times the term.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny though, you know the process you're describing, because I feel like you have answered the question like can you cure picky eating? Like I think you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think like most people, if there's like a kind of cuisine or kind of food that they're a little bit of verse to because it's unfamiliar, this is kind of like how they walk in like the first time you try it. Maybe it's fried, maybe it's an ingredient something else. Maybe you go to a place that prepares it really well, and like you just like slowly get used to something unfamiliar until you discover the pleasure in it, and then one day you turn around you've just like changed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I really didn't have any hopes for myself in any of these experiments. I really was like, Okay, this is kind of a lost cause there is something so I mean, this just sounds obvious now, but just like the repetition of doing it over and over again until you get used to it just like helps a lot. The texture of these fish, the fish that I've had in these past couple of months, I'm used to it now, and.
Speaker 3: So I'm okay, So this is a two month process. For instance, the argument you guys were having, the question we're trying to answer is can you cure a picky eating? What do you believe?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: I think you and at least in my case, you can kind of cure it because I'm not going to eat fish that's just sitting there, that's not presented in any kind of way. But depending on like the flavors around it, depending on the vehicle it's served in, there are ways you can tolerate it.
Speaker 6: For my purposes as a bystander, the answer is yes, because I was shocked when he was taking bites of this raw too and enjoying it, and I was like, this is good for me.
Speaker 3: And do you feel like I don't want to be too big a thing out of this, but like, do you like picky eater is like a trait, Like it's like one of the aspects of your personality. Do you feel differently now on the other side of this experience?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's definitely there's like all the corny stuff that it's taught me, like how much I can personally affect in my life. But there's also other foods that I have a picky eating aversions to that I want to try. Now, what do you want to try? Like corn, for example, I just torn hate corn.
Speaker 3: Corn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what streams you with corn? You know what? It is kind of similar to fish in a way that it's slimy and like the texture is weird. It's okay if it's like sprinkled in a salad or something like that, but just like eating it right off of the ear is tough, really tough for me. Popcorn Popcorn is fine. Corn bread corn bread is great.
Speaker 3: Okay, You're gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: And how do you guys feel good?
Speaker 1: I'm all enjoyed.
Speaker 4: It was nice to see.
Speaker 3: Manny, Noah and Devin. Their podcast is called No Such Thing. If you like our show, we think you'll really love theirs. Some episodes to check out that we really liked. Are suburban dogs happier than city dogs?
Speaker 4: I hope not?
Speaker 3: And should men sit when they pee? Which has got a lot of conversation over here? No such Thing It's available, I have a podcast Spotify everywhere else. Search Engine is a presentation of Odyssey and Jigsaw productions. It's created by me pj Vote and Truthy Piaminani and is rouced by Garrett Graham and Noah John. Backchecking by Holly Patten, Theme original competition and mixing by armand Bassarian additional imprection support from Sean Merchant and Kim Coople. If you'd like to support our show get ad free episodes, zero reruns and the occasional bonus audio, please consider signing up for incognito mode. You can learn more at search Engine Dutch Show. Our executive producers are Jenna Wes Sperman and Lea Reese Dennis. Thanks to the team at Jigsaw, Alex give me Rich Prelo and John Schmidt, and to the team at Odyssey JD. Crowley, Brob Mirandy Craig Cox, Eric Donolly, Colin Gaynor, Matt Casey, Mark Curran, justf Fina, Francis Kirk Courtney and Hilary shaff Our. Agent is Aarren Rosenbaum at UTA following. Listen to Search Engine with PJ vote now for free on the Odyssey app or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for listening, We'll see you next week.