Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Risky Business, a show about making better decisions. I'm Maria Kanakova.
Speaker 3: And I'm made Silver.
Speaker 1: Today on the.
Speaker 2: Show, we're going to be talking about a series of protests that took place across the country this weekend, the no Kings protests. So we'll be talking about kind of what that means, the game, theory of it, the broader implications, whether we think this is a good strategy, all sorts of Risky Business. E takes on the protests, including why I'm scared of crowds. But before we get into all of that night, there was some news over the weekend that the louver was robbed and within seven minutes a team of robbers was able to get into the second floor window and steal some priceless jewelry. They got in, they got out. By the way, this was nine thirty in the morning, right, Like, this wasn't late at night, just completely brazen daytime robbery.
Speaker 3: Why would you accepting it then?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's nice.
Speaker 4: I mean the French that with the French, I mean they're barely even woke up. They're having their third cup of coffee and their fifth cigarette, right, so they're just getting started.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, I think nine thirty am they are still getting started. And yeah, the robbers they took a truck mounted ladder and then they gained access to the second floor, which was the Apollo Gallery, and so they were able to get some of the French Crown jewels that dated back to Napoleon, and eight of nine items remain unaccounted for. They dropped one.
Speaker 1: Which was really weird. They dropped a crowd. I was like, wait, you know, how do you get a break?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I was like, how do you drop it? Like was your tote back wrong? Like what did something rip?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Were you using plastic bags?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What's going on here?
Speaker 3: Are they going to sell you them? eBay? Where are they going to sell them?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Oh apparently actually they dropped two items and not not actually one item, So yeah, I have no idea. What do you do with crown jewels? I mean I guess one of the things you can do is take the jewels off, right, like somehow like break it apart and from priceless relic make it into just black market jewelry.
Speaker 4: It seems like not very economical, right, Like I don't have people seal duels that are not crown jewels, and like like who would buy would like, uh, maybe Trump would buy it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, but yeah, the Crown of m PROSEUSIONI is the is the item that was identified the other one we don't know. By the way, that piece has three and fifty four diamonds and fifty six emeralds. That's insane. It was slightly damaged. It was slightly damaged, but it didn't completely break Okay. Also, like what the hell love like their security, Like I think this is the museum with the most number of robberies like that in the twentieth and twenty first century that I know of the Mona Lisa was stolen, right, Like that should be the one thing that like you're really really guarding really well, and they've had other break ins throughout history of Like, come on, French people, French security.
Speaker 1: Like, get your shit together. What's going on?
Speaker 3: If they just do things in their own way. I admire the French, I admire the friend.
Speaker 2: I listen, I admire the French. I admire the robbers here. And I'm so sorry tourists who you know, we're leaving your tour of the Mona Lisa to the last day. You know, you were planning to go on a Sunday.
Speaker 1: You were really.
Speaker 2: Excited, and then the museum ended up being closed because you know, some royal jewels were stolen. But this is, you know, talk about risky business. That's I think that your question, Nate, like I laughed at it, but like, what in the world are you.
Speaker 1: Going to do with it?
Speaker 2: Is a really pertinent question because this is a huge risk, right, like you are actually like if you're getting if you get caught, like that's seems like those consequences are going to be pretty dire. So you probably need to have a really good plan in place for what you're going to do and how you're going to profit from this heist.
Speaker 1: And a lot of.
Speaker 2: People don't think that far ahead and don't realize that a lot of stolen artifacts are really hard to move, right so unless maybe they have a buyer already, like maybe there's like somewhere an Elon Musk type figure. And I mean that in terms of like the amount of money that you have who is willing to pay you know, millions and millions of dollars for these specific crown jewels.
Speaker 4: If you if you buy stolen property. Isn't that like some felony or misscenario at least?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know the rules in France, but yes, absolutely and will we'll uh, there will definitely be Interpol on the case. And yes, there's definitely there are safeguards in place against buying them, but I'm assuming that the person who would purchase them would also do it completely you know, off the grid like some there are the blockchain, the blotching. Yes, all right, this this episode brought to you, this heist brought to you by bit Quiet Watching. But yeah, it's a it is a hilarious I mean not hilarious, but it is a funny bit of news. And maybe Nate, So we're recording this on Monday, October twentieth. Maybe by the time it airs on Wednesday, the thiefs will have been caught and that will be like a huge win for French police. But it took a long time for the Mona Lisa to be recovered when it was stolen, and I'm from Boston, I obviously remember like the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum heist, which was huge those none of those works of art have been recovered, so it can take a really long time from moment of theft to actually recovering, and that moment of time could be never. So let's see what happens this time day. If you were going to rob a museum, purely hypothetically, what would you steal? Like, is there an item in a museum somewhere that you're like, man, I really just want this at home.
Speaker 3: No, because I would get caught.
Speaker 1: I'll get caught.
Speaker 4: I would go to like the little cafe when they have the jaded barista and take like, you know whatever five hundred bucks said. Yeah, I wouldn't like, I wouldn't want to deprive uh people of the opportunity to see art.
Speaker 3: I've always found it like a little.
Speaker 4: Bit strange to have like a really valuable piece of art in your private collection and we collect art like but nothing super Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Totally I totally agree with that.
Speaker 2: And I hate, you know, I hate when there are people who buy some like truly beautiful painting and then refuse to load it out, and like, I understand their insurance considerations, et cetera, et cetera, but come on, Like, if the Goggenheims could lend out their entire collection, like you can. You can make it work. And you know, I totally get wanting to live with a beautiful piece of art in your home, but you also like, you can't protect it and take care of it the same way a museum can. And I think there's a there's definitely a case to be made that sure, you can have it, but like lend it out, let people see it. Share the beauty, right, share the beauty with the world. And by the way, talking about risk, during the Palisade fires earlier this year, some absolutely irreplaceable works of art were destroyed, right Because you could be a billionaire with a gorgeous Pacific Highway house in Malibu or wherever, and your house.
Speaker 1: Goes up in flames and that's it unless you're the.
Speaker 4: Getty.
Speaker 2: The Getty was fine. The Getty has an incredibly sophisticated anti fire protection system, but most normal houses do not. So some works of art were really uh gone forever now. And that's a risk that you take when you have something like that in your home.
Speaker 1: Or in the louver.
Speaker 2: I guess the risk you take is that it's going to get stolen at some point. So yeah, no, I actually I agree with that. I don't think I wouldn't steal anything either, because I really do think that these art is to be shared right as art is something that makes us all uniquely human and it's such a beautiful thing for all of us to share in common.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to do some high risk crimes. I can think of a lot more fun positively the high risk crimes.
Speaker 2: Maria, I totally, yeah, absolutely like what Nate, hypothetically speaking, we'll take this, we'll take this off the podcast well more more for our pushkin plus subscribers.
Speaker 3: What would want crime?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so our would be criminal spree, Nate is short lived because we've decided that we're not going to steal anything from the art museum, but we will retain the optionality of doing something that's going to be lower risk and higher reward. On that note, let's talk about the No King's protests that happened over the weekend. Nate, did you participate?
Speaker 3: No, A, It's not my vibe.
Speaker 4: Although I'm sympathetic to change the protesters and b I in certain ways, I do take myself seriously as a journalist, and I think if I went, it would be appropriate to cover them more arms length and not to participate but you know, we can talk about that or not.
Speaker 3: Did you, Maria.
Speaker 2: I did not for various reasons, but the biggest one of which is I can't deal with crowds, like I hate events where there no, I really can't, Like I get really clustrophobic and really anxious.
Speaker 1: And I know, I look, you are both.
Speaker 4: We both live I know, in New York City and Las Vegas, which I maybe I mean not in the world, but there's.
Speaker 2: A very different so there's so there's a very different mentality when you're in a huge crowd of people protesting versus like, you know, on a commute. And just to just to give you an example, so this Saturday, which is when the protests were happening, I went to Grand Central, where I never go. I hate Grand Central, but I went because it really Yeah, Grand Central's nice, it's beautiful, but I just, oh, I don't like any of the like I don't like going to train stations like and if I go there, it's for travel, but like Grand Central, I never have to use like for whatever reason, you know, I never travel out of Grand Central anyway. So I went there specifically to see the Dear New York exhibition from Humans of New York that was closing this weekend. It was two weeks during which Grand Central all of the advertising was taken off and it was completely taken over by the humans of New York Photography. And they also had a Steinway piano which was donated that was in the middle of the hall, and they had Juilliard musicians play during the day and some other cameos. Anyway, so this was a big thing and I wanted to see it, and I ended up leaving very quickly because going the day before it closed was not a good idea. And it was so ridiculously crowded and there were so many people that I couldn't appreciate the photography and the art and all of these things, because not only could I not see anything, but I was being jostled from every single side, and I was like, you know what, it's not I'm getting out of here. Like I actually started feeling, you know, this sense of claustrophobia and anxiety. So I don't do well in situations where there are too many people near me. I hate crowded subways.
Speaker 1: Night.
Speaker 2: Whenever I see one that's too crowded and I have to get on, I'm like oh, man, I suddenly envision the worst case scenario, which is that we get stuck, right, that we get stuck in between stations, and I'm on this ridiculously crowded subway car and I have been something I don't know. I just really I have no idea. I just really do not like crowds. It's something that like, I get very anxious over. So no, I did not go to that protest, and I'm not a protest person. But the underlying question was kind of was there for a reason, which is that if we think about protests in a broader sense, there's a very strong kind of game theoretic reason why protests are powerful, and that has nothing to do with like, oh, you're in a crowd, but everything to do with signaling. Right, So a protest, there's I didn't not go because I don't think it's not worth it. I didn't go because just personally, I, like I said, I hate crowds. But I do think it's worth it for the simple reason that there's coordination issues and kind of there's power in sending a very strong signal that people can then look at to say, oh, I'm not the only one who feels this way, there are lots of people who feel this way. And now I know, right now that I know that there is all of this support out there for something that I believe that is not always visible because when you're online kind of in you know, Twitter or whatever it is, you see a very specific subset of opinions. You're in a very specific bubble. But protests throughout history, when people go out in public, it's a signaling mechanism, right, and it's then a coordination mechanism where you can actually point to it and say, Okay, look, you know, here's a group of people who hold certain views, and that can be incredibly powerful for future momentum and future decision making. By the way, it's even more powerful when we're talking about truly authoritarian regimes countries where there's very little communication between people. We're not there yet in the United States, but it's powerful even in a democratic society.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, these process had a very large scale. They happened in hundreds of cities. I'm always a little bit skeptical of crowd sized estimates, which tend to be overestimates, but several million, I think it's safe to say, which makes it quite high on a list of like all time one day protests at least. I mean, look, as you get a larger size of crowd, then these things tend to become a little bit more amorphous, right, And you can see various critiques like, Okay, maybe the protests are a little bit cringe and considering who we're dealing with, right, we're dealing with like kind of like mostly boomery, good government democrat types. Yeah, they're a little cringe, right, And like the message just when you can critique, I mean, you know.
Speaker 3: Does no kings quite makes sense?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure the idea is Trump is a king so much as an authoritarian.
Speaker 3: Those aren't quite the same thing exactly, But.
Speaker 4: It kind of doesn't matter because like what you're trying to do is a demonstrate that, like, you know, yes, we don't have elections all that often, and yes, last time we had an election, Trump one narrowly, but there are a lot of us number one, you know, a conservative reminder to like the the media and things like that. I mean, Trump is not that popular in the polls. He's not popular in the polls. He's not that unpopular either, right, but like you know, these things can be a spectacle in part and attract attention, that is, if anything like a little bit outsize relative to the number of people participating, right, because they're physical, they're outside there. In some cases do you seem to be rather gentle minded, but they can be like confrontational.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: If you look at the number of students of the people.
Speaker 4: Participating in the pro Palestinian protests over the past year and a half, those are not I'm being honest, those are not particularly large protests.
Speaker 3: If you'd look look at the numbers for that. It's not like Kings or something like that.
Speaker 4: Right, However, they still got a ton of media coverage shipped the narrative. I'm not sure whether they shifted the narrative in the direction of protesters wanted they, but they have they have a big effect potentially, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure. And I do think that the narrative is also something that's that's quite important. So I mentioned before kind of the signaling mechanism, which is on an individual level I think important to then coordinate action further down the line. But also framing the narrative is, especially in the modern age, something that is really important in an intentionally divided economy. Right, it to not in the past where everyone watched one single TV show, right, or one single news channel, and there was kind of this collective knowledge of like, oh, these are the things that are in the news, et cetera, et cetera. These days, it's very fragmented, right, There's a very fragmented media landscape, and so many different things are vuying for our attention on any given basis. And the Trump administration has shown itself to be much better than a lot of democratic operatives, to be perfectly honest at capturing attention and creating a narrative, right and creating something that makes it feel like it's this inevitable all American force, and something like the No King's protest is a really interesting moment that can potentially shape the narrative of weight.
Speaker 1: You know, we have.
Speaker 2: Protesters in the heart of Red Texas and all of these different areas, and they've all come out, and they've all coordinated, and it's a pretty significant number of people, and so it's a I think it's a way of creating a counter narrative to a lot of what we see online.
Speaker 3: And we'll be right back after this break.
Speaker 2: This might lead us Nate to kind of a broader consideration of you know, what matters, right when you're trying to kind of craft this craft a narrative that actually changes minds and changes action, because one of the critiques one can have of things like protest is, well, you're not actually doing anything right. You're not voting, you're not lobbying, you're not changing legislation, you're not reaching out to your congress people like, you're not doing anything like that. But on the other hand, you're doing something because you're sending a signal to the government. You know that these are the things that matter here where people who feel this way live, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. So let me let me just let me just stop there and get your thoughts on this and on because of your thoughts, your thoughts more broadly kind of about the effectives of certain tactics versus other when you're trying to shape a narrative that with the ultimate goal, because presumably this is the ultimate goal of change, right, of actually affecting real change in the government, in government policies and in what happens in the country going forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I mean compared to other things, I say, protesting is relatively effective. I mean, like I you know, protesting is higher effort than voting, and voting is samously questionably rational. I suppose if you live in the state like New York, you have your you can voting about it. But like, as you don't New York, you're voting.
Speaker 3: Voting kind of.
Speaker 1: As a.
Speaker 4: Symbolic act does a specific act is a protest almost and not necessarily is like I'm actually influence the election result, right. Yeah, Look, part of it is I don't like the people that kind of talk about like setting the narrative very often are very good about setting.
Speaker 1: I think that's very true.
Speaker 4: And you know, a critique the Democrats strategy on the shutdown, right because like it's like it's like too narrow and like it's not you know, I don't know, right, And it's like you have to focus on healthcare, right, But their question is not about healthcare. If you look at like Google searches for healthcare, people are not particularly focused on that. It's not what they're I mean, they care about healthcare, it's like not what their heart is into.
Speaker 3: So have us kind of like.
Speaker 4: Amorphous outpouring of peaceful anti Trump sentiment. That's kind of more not normy. I'm sure that people there are watching what then was NBC and reading lotless substacks, right, but like, but to have this kind of.
Speaker 3: More normy vibe, I think you.
Speaker 4: Worthwhile, right, and you know it's trobably more effective than they shut down, which agin I think it's how and thank for Democrats very much at all. You know, so I do not think you know, people in Blue Sky can quote me on this. I do not think that we are on like the doorstep to authoritarianism. I think I think America has I think it's the over simplication, right, I think America has a lot of robust checks and balances which are being substantially fraid. I think we might be in like the ante room before the doorstep, though, right, ye and gef there are actions such as like Trump trying to make it difficult for people to vote in twenty twenty six or twenty twenty eight for example. Right, I mean you can imagine open defiance to leave the White House after his term is over, open defiance of a Supreme Court order. You know, one thing that I'll hear from is you'll see you'll hear your kind of democratic activists types kind of say, like, look, I realized that if you're kind of like leading your life, then things might seem pretty normal unless you're an immigrant or unless you's these other you know, a student, unless it's other sugar categories. And like in some sense and some since Trump has been smart about that, right, Like he's been smart about like the world doesn't feel like it's in chaos if you live in in New York, right, And I even think that, like, you know, there are things like the ice raids and National Guard deployments in different cities and things like that, right, and if you're very politically aware of these will seem a whole right, But like I don't think they're noticeable for ordinary people either, right, Like I was in Chicago for a talk the you know, the we can There are a bunch of ice actions there on the South side of Chicago, and like I actually had a bunch of like political conversations there. I mean, I have friends there who are interested in politics, and they woud talk where we talking abouts and stuff like that, and like it didn't really come up, right, not because of what they think about Politicia unaware of it though, because like you know, I think there's this gap between the way that political insiders and political message crafts people who are very online experience politics and the way that ordinary people do. I mean talking about a protests that has mass numbers millions, millions, you're bridging that gap like a little bit, right, because you know what percent of people watch MSNBC, Box and New CNN. It's like one percent of the country like watching them on the given day. It's like quite small, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really small and if anything, probably you know political surveys or bioteople who participate, right, and so yeah, like you know, the number of MSNBC viewers and the demo was in like the low to mid six digits usually meaning eighteen to forty nine or how they define that, right. You know a lot of older people who are just kind of watching TV and maybe not doing that much else. But yeah, people kind of miss these scale things and like and the number one problem that like political strategies, most polical strategists have is like they think exactly the opposite from how from how the normies do, right, and you know, a more narrow protest, right, like you know, I would take again the GOSPAP protests as something that have like relatively fear both, right, and they spin out on the things and there's messing that might be dumb in whatever health, right, But like you know, on a university, we want the university to bess these investments and changes policy and this and that, right, you know. And those are pretty narrowly targeted protests, but smaller in scale. This is amorphous. I mean things like Occupy Wall Street, which was not particularly large protests, right, but like where the Tea Party is an example on the Republican conservative side a little bit more right, that's a little bit i'morphous. And amorphosis can be good because like you want different people to be able to interpret it in different ways, and you know, the overall sentiment is clear enough Trump babert aboutthoritarrying rule or monarchical rule. I'll give them a credit of paths on the imprecise metaphor.
Speaker 2: What do you think is more effective having a protest that has very clear stated goals or ones that are expressing these broader sentiments, Because I don't know what your perception of Occupy Wall Street's ultimate effectiveness was. Mine was that not much ended up changing. It was also Occupy Wall Street. By the way, it was on a much smaller scale than what we're talking about with No Kings. But what's your sense of Like if you were trying to be like, Okay, you know, I want people to be aware of all of these I want draw attention to all of these excesses happening that people might not be aware of unless they're very like politically tied in. I want them to be aware of, you know, tipping points in kind of the legal structure, et cetera, et cetera, that some of these checks are you know, yes, so far democracy is holding. We do have robust checks and balances, but we are in the ante room, as you said, as you phrased it, and like some of these things are really being strained, and a lot of people don't seem to be aware of that. Like if you were organizing a protest, would it look like the No Kings protest broadly speaking? Broadly speaking, like let's as you say, you know, let's ignore the semantics, Like would it be kind of more amorphous like general sentiment, like please work with us legislators and like let's try to figure out a strategy to counter this, or would you say you know what before we do this protest, like, let's think of three big goals and like have everyone have posters with those you know, with those goals, et cetera, et cetera, and like actually try to do something that is more targeted but still broad. I don't know that I have a clear answer to that, so I'm curious whether you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I don't know if I'm the extra don protests here. By the way, I think I could buy Wall Street. We punched someone above its weight, like a kind of introducer at least popularized the praise. We're the ninety nine percent than the one percent, and like that's true. That's a means for many years, fourteen years later, whatever it is is pretty powerful potentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, it's so funny. I totally forgot that that came from Occupy Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: Look, I think you have different issues here. What is that Although Trump is unpopular, he's not enormously unpopular. He won election twice, including just you know, not quite a year ago, and the critiques.
Speaker 3: Of him are kind of disparate.
Speaker 4: Right, people don't like, you know, some people are to chinking about the economy, which I think might be a more appropriate such a per focus in part because like it is no whole day to day A little bit more people are concerned about immigration or authoritarism, they are long standing concerns about climate change and.
Speaker 3: Whatever else.
Speaker 4: People think he's the racist, naphobic, sexist, people think he's corrupt. I'm not. I'm not unendorsing any of these ideas, by the way, right, But like Trump has always given people so many such a large attack surface to term is different ways in that like it actually kind of renders itself toward it ineffective, right, And so like, on the one hand, it might seem like the way to attack that is to focus on one particular avenue, right, However a is at the right avenue and be like I think Karen Tula, that might that might work less well, right because like remember one again, all the total anti Trump democratic energy, they're trying to make a shutdown about healthcare. If you read the newsletters, read the sub sex of little Subtext or blue Sky whatever else, right, maybe one or two percent of the messages are about healthcare from like not the actual base, but like the activist online part of the base, right, And so like, you know, you're kind of losing people there a little bit. Number two, Trump is very very good at like changing the subject or redirecting attention. Right, So if he ever has a weakness, he's like it's so the metaphor of like Trump being a ship that you have different kind of which to attack, right, Like it doesn't quite work because it can fight back in different ways. Right, yeah, so you know, yeah, maybe having this kind of like more amorphous kind of gathering of energy.
Speaker 3: You know what I don't know of having I been a protests, right, you know, the most important thing is probably are you gathering.
Speaker 4: Lists of people who can become politically organized in in different ways? And importantly for me, you know, can you have these that are outside the offices of the kind of capital D democratic party? Right?
Speaker 3: I think the cretic parties.
Speaker 4: Often have healthy at like the local and state level, But like I to a Frisch approximation, think that like every person in afficition of power and their Credit Party should be fired, right, Like I think the party is lost.
Speaker 3: No, I mean seriously, like the the Credit Party is like lost, Like you know, it lost an election to Trump twice.
Speaker 4: Right. Renominating Joe Biden was a good idea all the leaders are too fucking old, like anybody over the age of fifty in a leadership position, Let's let's have a generational goodbye, right, and if you're the age of fifty, their credit party, I think should well. I think, you know, Democrats goals may be better off if those people were were you know, replaced. Do you want to take a couple of mulligans or exceptional right, But like, you know, so they have like you know, so, yeah, I'm not so sure that it's so far from what I indoors I can the vibe is not mine. It feels a little cringe to me. But like the cringe is okay, creates happens when you have mass support for something, right, it's inherently a little cringe. If you go like a NFL game, the NFL is the most popular sport, cringe. I love football, Right, they're a little bit cringe. Parades are fucking cringe at right, Holidays are cringe. I mean, all these things that are really popular are like, you know, so watch American Idol. American Idol is cringe. Like popular things are cringe for you.
Speaker 2: Oh man, don't get me started on parades. I used to live right next to the Halloween rad and.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, and New York.
Speaker 3: Canceled because of that.
Speaker 1: That's what happened.
Speaker 2: So so I had lived in the West Village for my like my all of my New York existence, you know, that's where I moved when I just moved from, uh from Boston and just loved the area and stayed there. And so every single year I saw, you know, the havoc that happened with the with the Halloween parade, and knew that like basically on Halloween, I had to just stay in my apartment and like don't do anything that crosses Seventh Avenue. And then one day decide I saw like there was a restaurant I really wanted to go to, and like finally saw reservation pop up, and I was like yay and took it. And of course the reservation popped up because it was on the other side of Seventh Avenue.
Speaker 3: Walter Day. It really if you haven't experienced, it's very hard to like but go up to like a roof tower and like finally to the streets and their guests.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly exactly. It's it's horrifying and we'll be back right after this. You know, it's interesting to talk about this and to and to talk about like the importance of general lives because if you and I, when you and I talked about, you know, the best way to organize a little less than a year ago, Nate and we were talking about, you know, what's what can democrats do? We decided collectively that they needed to focus on a few issues. And when we were talking about how do they win, right before Trump got elected, we were saying, Okay, you know, your messaging should be focused on a few issues where you can actually get votes, where people are passionate about this, because the Trump campaign was much more effective at that and we were saying, you know, I remember you talking about immigration and saying, hey, Democrats, like immigration's not your issue, Like stop talking about that instead, like let's try to focus on on things that like healthcare right that could actually be much more effective. Then we were talking, you know, with the shutdown, et cetera, that we should really be focusing on, like let's focus on tariffs, Like let's let's do something focused when we're talking about inside the government, and yet our advice for people kind of outside the government seems to be to have more of that vibe type of approach where you have, as you say, cringe but we don't have to call them crinch. But when you have these large scale events that just show a general state of malaise, displeasure and opens the opens the conversation up for policymakers to kind of act in different ways as opposed to like pinpointing one specific thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's the other thing is like, if you're a political operative, then ironically you have like often a very short term time horizon, right. You know, you have a job where you get up and were the office of eight thirty every every Monday. Maybe it's a romantic snacing of it, right, but like, but you know you have particular goals you have for that day, that week. That news cycle right in the media is the same way, right, we have to we have to you know, some weeks, Maria, we have eight things people to talk about, right, some weeks it's a well struggle, right, but you kind of even the ow and something to come talking to point and so like you know, yeah, it should be more long term focus. Right. We still have more than a year until the midterm elections, even we have more than three years until the presidential election. And so yeah, you know, look, the direct Party has always been that historically they're kind of like this collection of different interest groups, right that Democrats were collection of young people and union workers and people of color and college professors.
Speaker 3: And like you know, gay people and other people who.
Speaker 4: Are you know, you know, ex communists, and like a whole monthly crew of different types of folks that like don't necessarily have that much interest in common but might be marginalizing some ways, kind of like when you get it intellectuals, right, you know what the Democratic Party is now, it's a little bit less clear, Right, It's lost some support from every one of those groups except the point he headed intellectuals basically, right, it's loss of kiss among Hispanic and Asian Americans. It's some sport among black Democrats. It's also live support among like working class union worker type of Democrats. Right, it's also sport young people pecularly young men. Right. So, well, you know, you still don't have a lot of people who have their hat quote unquote issues with the environment or LGBT do plus rights, or over healthcare or or economics and authority. Right, and like when do you say, oh, let's focus on this one issue. Well, the other groups you're really upset, right, and they'll say, my issue is a matter of existential importance. There's with called special pleading, right, It's like very hard to like have you know, who gets to pick and choose what issues we prioritize and so like have seffy amorphous and it's project cussures, Like ambiguity is okay, you can be yeah, absolutely USU on your paper, the better. I'm like, it seems kind of weird, right, but I was pretty good at being optimizing for intiguity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not surprised, and I'm surprised, but no.
Speaker 2: I actually think that you just made a really important point, which is that you know this also having a protest that's like the no King's protest unites people right as opposed to feel having people feel like they're left out, Like this is not my protest, this is everyone's protest. This is like uniting on the absolute highest level issue. We believe in our democracy and we want to preserve it. Because if you think about kind of the psychology of in groups and out groups, right, we are very good at forming in groups and out groups based on anything, right, almost almost immediately, but we're also very good at unifying when you can actually kind of get a bigger issue that focuses on commonalities as opposed to divisions. And so I think that's something like a No King's protest test did a really good job of actually tapping into that element of psychology right on a high level, Like let's put our differences aside. Right, let's put aside whether like who we are and what to us is the existential issue, and how we feel about you know, all of these different people and all of these different policies, and instead let's focus on one thing, Like, let's we believe in America. We believe in democracy. We want to preserve this thing that the country was founded on. And I think that's why the No Kings like, even though not quite right, while symbolically it actually helps kind of get to that unification. It helps to harken back to a moment in history when America was united, right where it didn't matter what political party you were, it didn't matter, nothing mattered other than that we were fighting against the British and we wanted to be free.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Look, I mean this is a problem that you have in very online communities. Maybe more of the left and the right currently reasons explaining the moment. But like the notion of online combat on Twitter, blue Sky, Facebook, whatever, et cetera. Right, the notion of dunking on people achieving kind of social superiority. Right, I tat the people competing for hierarchy to tear down a hierarchy to regain putting in the hierarchy themselves. Right, And by definition it's kind of it's kind of exclusionary. Right. Republicans do lots of that too, they are fortunate enough to have this kind of And again I'm not a super lib Right, I'm gonna say this in a way that believe is like a correct arms like fritigue, but like there is a substantial like personality cult around Trump that helps keep Republicans united with all types of long term cosmus to the country. Right, But like Democrats have no equivalent of right, So they're both exclusionary at least people kind of like the blue sky types and and leaderless really bad, you know what I mean. It's like, we have a great idea, but we don't want you. You will while you're participating unless you agree with us in all these issues. Right, So the rep and inclusivity is is very important.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that that's a key issue that Democrats have been ignoring for too long and that they really really need to focus on, which is that it's okay, right, shades of gray are okay, and we want to include you, even if you don't check all of these boxes for kind of what the perfect liberal mind thinks on all of these issues, you know, what's in vogue on all of these things. I think that the Republicans have actually been much much better at including people in the party and saying, ah, fine, like you don't believe in that, but like, at least you you believe in Trump, you believe in this, Like, come on in. And I do think that the Democratic establishment has actually been very quick to I don't want to say like cancel, but to cancel their own right to say, well, like sure you're you're a Democrat, but you said something I don't like about this issue, and.
Speaker 3: So or to dismiss while groups of voters.
Speaker 4: You know, Hillary Clinton made the thing to mislike deplorable comment in twenty sixteen, I guess it was, which is saying like, yeah, you know, half of.
Speaker 3: Not all voters, half of Trump.
Speaker 4: Voters are irredeemable racist massaging that's deficerate and half are redeemable and a little bit misguided, right, which I think is actually probably might be about right is a kind of empirical statement, right, is a piece.
Speaker 3: Of political analysis.
Speaker 1: But like as a politician.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like and the fact is that like you never know where you find like this is a big kind of you know, people mistake, like the group tendency with the marginal pingdomcity right in any group. Sure, and I've tried to mathematically model this and like, but I won't get into the details.
Speaker 3: Now, in any group, there are always marginal voters, right.
Speaker 4: You know the fact that Trump would like go to the Bronx and say, I'm going to do a rally among the black community of South Bronx And if you look at the details, and a lot of people are not black and or not from the South Bronx or the bronxiul. Right, But like the fact that he's saying I would like to have your vote, right, Like, I don't think Democrats do the same thing. Right. They don't go and say to evangelical white church and say, you know what, you're as rationals you might want to hope for Democrats, right, maybe you kind of implicitly do it, and like who are on the center left are regarded as enemies by the far left and often vice versa, and so like it. It's you know, getting out of that mentality is essential.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely crucial, and I think, you know, the No King's protests is a really good step in that direction. So yeah, the main kind of takeaways here are like, coordination is important, and signaling is important at kind of understanding all of that from a game theory standpoint is important, but also inclusivity is important and trying to frame things in broad terms where you can actually unite people and focus on uniting as opposed to dividing and nitpicking and like you know saying oh, well you belong, but you really don't. You're not our perfect archetype of who we want. That it's really important to think in those types of terms. And the third thing that we haven't talked about as much, but we have mentioned is like people just don't think long term, Like if I don't do something right now, the Democratic Party is just going to implode. Like if I don't if I don't do this, then these are the long term consequences, and you don't think, well, like, if I don't speak out now, then there might be nothing to speak out, nothing left to speak out for in a few years. So I think that thinking more long term and long term strategy is very important. I don't necessarily endorse Nate, you know, acting everyone over fifty fifty seems awfully young, but still I you know, I think that what you were the spirit of that that we do need kind of a little bit. We do need some young blood is fair because we do need to be thinking about the future, and people who are eighty years old are not the future because they're going to be dead in the long term that we're talking about, absent the singularity.
Speaker 4: I'm with that maybe we can retreat from the antie room to the foyer, before the anti room, before the doorway to borg caredism.
Speaker 2: Let us know what you think of the show. Reach out to us at Risky Business at pushkin dot FM. Risky Business is hosted by me Maria Kanakova and.
Speaker 5: By me Nate Silver. The show was a Cool production of Pushing Industries and iHeartMedia. This episode was produced by Isaac Carter. Our associate producer is Sonya gerwit Lydia, Jean Kott, and Daphne Chen are our editors, and our executive producer is Jacob Goldstein. Mixing by Sarah Bruger.
Speaker 2: If you like the show, please rate and review us so other people can find us too, but once again, only if you like us. We don't want those bad reviews out there. Thanks for tuning in, MHM.