Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contains spoilers for the second episode of Fallout season two.
Speaker 3: You one.
Speaker 1: Hello, my name is Jason Hell.
Speaker 4: I'm Mercy Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to ext revision of the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. Coming to you from my heart, where we're bringing you three episodes a week.
Speaker 3: Last news In today's episode, it's Fallout two two.
Speaker 4: Baby, you thought that that week would go slow.
Speaker 3: No, we're already here season two, episode two, and we are going to be talking about it. I hope you love Maximus because it's a big Maximus episode.
Speaker 2: Fallout season two, episode two. We open in a flashback to the last hours of the Shining City on a hill that was the new California Republic, a brief moment of cooperation and coexistence in the wasteland known as Shady Sands Rip. We meet young Maximus's dad, who has apparently discovered a huge aquifer of fresh water. He's just got done testing the water. It's completely free, and as Rosie said last episode, clean water a huge deal in this world and a huge deal in the games.
Speaker 1: You gotta have it.
Speaker 2: A trader is on his way into town repeating in a robotic fashion the same kind of the same phrase about the desert. And it's clear after seeing episode one that he's probably got the neck chip in because he doesn't look like he's doing great and he is brainwashed clearly. Dad and young Max go over to see what the trader has brought in the caravan to town, and they get there and then are all around the trader and the traders collapsed and it is continuing to mutter, and it's.
Speaker 1: Blood coming from his eyes.
Speaker 2: Dad knows something is wrong immediately and finds the chip and then looks in the caravan and there's a nuke there. There's a sigular bomb that will destroy the city. Dad sends Maximums home and begins to try and to defuse a bomb, but he fails, and then runs home and is like, Max, get in this refrigerator. Everything's gonna be fine, and we know the rest from If.
Speaker 3: It's good enough for Indiana Jones.
Speaker 4: It's kind of right you, and it worked.
Speaker 3: Younger Hank looks at himself in the mirror, having just dropped the bomb on Shaty Sands, then goes to read the wind in the willows to Lucy.
Speaker 4: He's a real piece of work, this guy.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Then we go back to Maximus today. He and his brothers take part in a Ghoul clearance operation during some kind of strange industrial facility and they find what they came for, the red device.
Speaker 4: Is this the artifact?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's like the real artifact, but clearly it's what they're looking for. So they just got up, head out and back above the Caswanian Caswanan Caswinete.
Speaker 1: I believe it's I believe that's the name of their ships.
Speaker 3: Well, I like it, No, just include me saying like fifty versions of it.
Speaker 4: I don't know the name of every ship.
Speaker 3: The brothers applaud Max's success, and Elder Quintus greets him. Max delivers the item, and this is where I feel like Max and the Brotherhood need to get it together, because Quintus is so fucking shady bro Like, don't just give this man like a magical.
Speaker 4: Red button and be like and he's like, oh, are you going to you with it?
Speaker 3: And he's like, nothing wrong, only good stuff.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be our new home. You know.
Speaker 3: We're gonna unify the Brothers and the factions and they'll all be able to access this huge military arsenal that we have hit under the sands. And you know what, while I'm planning this definitely bad probably genocide or plan, I need you to know Max, you like my son.
Speaker 4: You're a son to me. You are my.
Speaker 2: Sons Christ this guy, Lucy Ghoule and dog Meat are continuing their desert excursion. They're bickering in typical fashion, with Lucy being nice the Gold being mean. After a while, as they're passing by this ruined hospital, Lucy hears someone crying out for help, help me, and the goals fucking ignore that, ignore that, that empathy ambthies like quicksand it'll drag down.
Speaker 4: The on one like that in every episode. Hey hey baby, don't be able to do that.
Speaker 2: Don't do And Lucy's like, well, I'm gonna help because I can't listen to someone screen for help all the time, and goals like, you're fucking stupid. Lucy goes in there, and you know it's there, into the ruins of the hospital. There's an injured woman. There, there's a man who's even in worse shape than she is. They got attacked by something unclear what. The ghoul immediately kills the other guy, and he's like delicious, starts trying to the flesh is like gross like for some reason, the flesh is gross. The Gul spits out the flesh and then turns the guy over and it turns out that he had been stabbed by something infectious or poisonous, toxic or gross or whatever it is. They the things that attacked him, and the woman now bursts out of the pipes and from dark corners of the room and it's baby rad scorpions and Lucy in the Ghul begin fighting them, but then a big Mama rad scorpion shows up and it stabs the.
Speaker 1: Ghoul after she tries. After he tries to use.
Speaker 2: The woman as a human shield, who she also gets stabbed by the rad scorpion singer, and so things are looking really bad, but the Goul manages to blow up the Mama rad scorpion with some grenades. Unfortunately he is now poisoned and Lucy has to choose. Aha, who gets her last stem pack?
Speaker 4: Is it? What do you think she should do?
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, I agree with her, So she gives it to the woman, with the idea being that the gul can live like this like the goal can't really die. He's really really hard to kill. You know, you can bury him underground, he doesn't have to eat, and you can suffer grievous wounds, including a rad scorpion sting probably and live though in pain for a long long time. Where is this woman's gonna die? So I agree on that kind of like logical level. However, this is the Wasteland. Yeah, and if you want to give this woman the stem pack, fine, But then Lucy makes the really crazy decision of like walking her all the way why to wherever she lives with whatever weirdo she lives with, And that is where I'm like, now you got to listen to the goal, because that's stupid as fuck.
Speaker 4: Also, the goal has been keeping you alive.
Speaker 3: You like a team, don't don't don't just abandon that in wasteland like I love you know, she says. Also there's a great birth foreshadowing where she says, you know, helping someone out is never a waste of time, So you know that that means or like doing the right thing is never a waste of time. So you know that means that this is gonna waste a ton of her time, which I love and in.
Speaker 4: The butts for Bud's vault.
Speaker 3: All the folks are now thowed and they are freaking the fuck out. Why are we awake? Is it reclamation day? How long have we been asleep? And Norms like h and they're absolutely freaking out. So he comes with a plan and he's like, hey, so, uh, terrible news. Bud Askins is dead. And that's when we pull back and we see that his bud Askins is dead, upside down in a bucket, Jude brain in a jar.
Speaker 4: No more.
Speaker 3: Norms like so, basically, you guys are gonna have to help me find a way to escape this place. And they all start freaking out understandably, and we will tell you what else is going on in the vaults the bad landes when my back.
Speaker 2: And we're at at Vault Tech HQ deep down deep deep deep deep deep deep down in some vault under New Vegas. Hank is testing the ever smaller mind control mes matron chips on rats and all the rats heads are exploding all of the time.
Speaker 1: He's having no success.
Speaker 2: We go to the Brotherhood of Steel and apparently the thing that they discovered is the key to unlock this military facility and this military facility that is now being uncovered and is full of stuff they want is Area fifty one. The vaunted Area fifty one exists, and it's full of things that they want, including weapons, including fridges with alien bodies in it. They don't care about the alien bodies. They care about the working refrigerators. And it also appears that there's lots of like pre war human cultural things here. Chinese statues, art from Europe, et cetera, from many nations have been like raided and brought here.
Speaker 3: Max talks to a young recruit about like, how do you battle on self?
Speaker 4: You've got to do it, It's really important. He's such a serious guy.
Speaker 3: He goes to work on his armor and Dane comes to see him, and Dane's definitely a little bit jealous of Max's rise, and he's like, so, uh, how you feeling want to quit the brotherhood and just go after that girl Lucy?
Speaker 4: Don't you need to see her? How's she going?
Speaker 3: And and Max is like, yeah, she left, And Dane's like, well, you know, I think our boss is kind of rebelling against the common well health edom.
Speaker 4: Really no, he's here scavenging the base, and I feel like Dane.
Speaker 3: You could have bought up Lucy before that. Sirens go off and boom are the ships are arriving. Quintus is presiding over the meeting of the Brotherhood of Steel leaders. One of them is like, hey, where's the Commonwealth?
Speaker 4: Many where they not represented him?
Speaker 3: Like where's the ruling fucking class, And Quinces is like, guess what, guys, great news don't need him, No Commonwealth not needed cutting them out, civil war against the Commonwealth.
Speaker 4: I think we're gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: And if you basically unite under me, we can stand against the Commonwealth.
Speaker 4: Great plan. Definitely, no problems there.
Speaker 2: Lucy and the woman she had the stimpact too, are you know? Walking towards this woman's settlement with Lucy making her same kind of like innocent chit chat, and the woman is like, by the way, you should turn back before you were attacked and sexually assaulted by folks, And it seems like she's suggesting the people where she lives.
Speaker 1: Maybe yes.
Speaker 2: And they then come to a canyon with spooky people with torches standing on a hillside and the woman.
Speaker 1: Has fucking disappeared.
Speaker 2: We go to the Bud's vault where Norm is trying to control of this chaotic situation. He basically lies and says like, Hey, I am a supermanager, a product of Buds, Buds two hundred years of engineering and breeding, and you.
Speaker 4: Are my staff.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you got to do what I say.
Speaker 2: And in order to figure out which one of you has managerial material inside of you, I am putting a challenge in front of you. And that challenge is this, find a way out of here. How do we get out of here? Get it out here?
Speaker 3: He's like, He's like, hey man, this was the last thing Bud needed you guys to do.
Speaker 4: That's right. Do an escape from? Do an escape from? The universal will inevitably.
Speaker 3: Build soon that you can play in a tech HQ. Hank is still there over the plus cryotubes. He's a bad guy, thawing out some big heavy hiss. He's already in People for Free War. Yeah, they paid crazy money, guys. This is like the big budget, first class double bed in your cryo chamber experience. And when you come out, the vault is gonna be looking beautiful. You're gonna walk into reclamation day, You're gonna have a house built for you.
Speaker 4: But guess what, just like.
Speaker 3: Everyone who ever agreed to the terms and conditions on Disney Plus. There were terms and conditions that this man did not read. And he's like, guess what, bitch, put your hands inside this creepy machine, and I'm gonna do.
Speaker 4: A little experiment on you.
Speaker 3: And there's nothing you can do about it, even though you prayed for Amazon Prime, Elite Plus, Cryotube.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the IP experience. You didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Now I can do an experiment on you and make your head explode. Boom, it explodes.
Speaker 2: Lucy wanders up to that village at nighttime. There are people with torches surrounding her. They've got pigs heads on spikes. They're wearing bear heads as helmets. It's looking bad.
Speaker 4: Folks looking bad.
Speaker 2: And this is I think gonna be one of the raider factions. But yeah, one the Legion.
Speaker 1: Perhaps it's unclear, but one of the raider.
Speaker 2: Factions, one of the factions from the New Vegas game. Meanwhile, Norms Butts Crew have done it. They have found high up on the in the ceiling a ladder and they said, okay, boss, we found it. Make your way up there. And he begins climbing towards the surface.
Speaker 3: Which crazy good for your norm. This plan actually worked out. Maybe you're not as dumb as I thought you were. We then see that the bos factions are watching a boxing match between other soldiers and Maximus is kind of like she.
Speaker 4: Like, fuck, this is not looking good.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a very homoeroic can hear a lot of repression, a lot of people hitting way harder than they mean to.
Speaker 4: It's going badly.
Speaker 3: And then a huge skinhead soldier towering over Maximus comes up and he's like, so.
Speaker 4: You're the one who killed Lemo Delva. How'd that go?
Speaker 3: And he's like I could take you. Maximus is like, probably not. I'm gonna go and like read a comic book or something. And the guy's like, nope, don't get your armor, don't get your comic books.
Speaker 4: Come back here, no armor.
Speaker 3: War dog fighting is what I think. He calls it a bare back outrageous. The guy calls it, okay, it's Jay, it's getting gay. He unsheaths his large blade and you start to wonder, wait a minute, as this elder quintas kind of really the.
Speaker 1: Most power, right, Yeah, That's how I felt about it.
Speaker 2: Because we see in this episode that the Rank and File Brotherhood of Steel really look up to Maximus. They're cheering him. They're like everything he does, they're like wow. And what he tells uh two like Brotherhood of Steel soldiers who were horsing around grenades to like cut it out, They're like, oh, sorry, sir. They immediately cut it out. So he's got the respect of the soldiers. And the sense I got was that Elder Quintus had set this up to get a rival out of the way.
Speaker 3: That's the way I feel about that. I definitely felt like that ought to like challenge him. It was very ym coded, you know, very but uh, Max, as you know is is his way, just kind of absolutely loses it, gets the jump on this guy, starts fucking beating the shout of him, opens up his stomach, kills him. Thaddeus is like, oh this is so gross. Bro. I thought we were like boyfriends and our little heart living a peaceful life together.
Speaker 4: Like what the fuck? And incredible moment.
Speaker 3: Maybe one of my favorite character introductions of this TV year. As Max is looking beaten and bloody over the dead body of this character, a huge helicopter appears and just completely starts fucking shit up Like John Hammond in Jurassic Park. People are running away, dust is going everywhere. It's terrible, and outsteps none other than Paladin Harkness of the Commonwealth played by Kamail Nanjoli and guess what, guys, he knows about the Civil War and he wants to know why wasn't he in his fancy little suit with his expensive as helicopter invited.
Speaker 2: Let's seek a quick break and discuss this episode and we're back. Okay, who again, these are very dense episodes.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I think I understand after watching both of them why they didn't release them in a chunk, because I think it could have felt yeah much, It could have felt too much like that whole like, it's not a TV show, it's a movie, which is not what this is. This is a TV show, it's not a six hour movie, even though it has the budget of you know, five movies. I'm sure, but I think I understand because there's a lot of law in this episode. It's a lot of Maximus, it's a lot of kind of the differences in the Volt and norm trying to work out what's going on.
Speaker 4: You do not necessarily get.
Speaker 3: All the big action that you would want in this episode from Lucy and the Gordo, I will say that fucking episode where they're working through the hospital and that moment, that sequence is so scary. It was giving Last of Us vibes. I thought like they really ramped up the kind of horror stealth aspects there. But yeah, I thought it was a really good episode. I loved the Kamel It was just kind of out there enough. It was giving me foundation, you know where, like something feels real. I know this is not exactly a serious show. There's lots of comedy. I love the looney Tunes nature of the action, like Lucy's inherent kindness with her killer instinct is obviously going to lead to humor, but the show is very serious. And in that moment with Maximus like killing this guy, there was this severity, this darkness, and the Paladin partner's character just kind of emerged as if he was, you know, the random DJ influencer in Foundation who you could never have imagined would fit in but became such an important part of the show.
Speaker 4: So I loved that arrival.
Speaker 3: I'm really excited to see what he brings because this is a character who's only previously been in like the Fallout Shelter in universe game like free to Play on the phone like, and he is from the East Coast, basically kind of section of the Brotherhood of Steel. So I love the idea that he's kind of running like a West Coast Avengers style situation, or he's the real one and Quintus is running the West Coast Avengers coalition. But yeah, I'm I'm very excited to see because also seems to me like Camo's going to be having a lot of fun with this, and I am very interested to kind of see where this character goes, what it means, and what it changes about the Brotherhood of Steel, because we have only really seen this very devout, like you know, religious inspired version, but I kind of am interested to see his like fun stylely uniform version. You know, probably also means he's evil because he's stressed.
Speaker 4: Well, so I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: So here's what's interesting. I think that.
Speaker 2: First of all, we get a window into the kind of different ways that different Brotherhood of Steel groups have like splintered into their own like little warring factions. I think what's interesting is like the Commonwealth which appeared, which I perceive at least because of have played the games, and the way that they are treating Palette and Harkness is that they are like the more legitimate, the more centralized and authoritative Brotherhood of Steel group that is supposed to be kind of overseeing these other gaps. It certainly seems that that's what's you know, with Elder Quintesses, kind of attempting to pull a fast one and not inviting them like he was, you know, trying to cut them out so that these Brotherhood of Faction Brotherhood of Steel factions could arm themselves and get strong enough to take on the Commonwealth faction, who it certainly appears that none of them are strong enough on their own and potentially even united without this new weaponry, or strong enough to take on So that's very interesting.
Speaker 1: My sense is that.
Speaker 2: There's no way Harkness came here alone because at this point.
Speaker 1: If he did, you have to kill him. So my sense is that.
Speaker 2: Right outside are going to be several Brotherhood of Steel motherships. I was gonna say that are gonna wipe out, either wipe out or otherwise punish this group that is trying to break away from them.
Speaker 1: That is my feeling.
Speaker 2: Like you might see Maximus immediately level up into like a leader, because I think Quintus Will is potentially not long for this show after this, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I could definitely see that.
Speaker 3: I also would be really interested to see if the fact that they have the helicopter and everything is like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm interested to see if they.
Speaker 3: If he has a different vision of how to combine modern technology and old world technology together, and that kind of makes him an outlier because he doesn't seem as archaic as the other Brotherhood of Steel members. I'm also wondering if he was sent there as kind of an intermediary, or if he himself has been planning something like this so we'll present himself as an ally. I'm also really interested because this kind of ties into the whole influences of New Vegas and why the game kind of came to be. Was this mixture of like the nineteen fifties, which they love to use in Fallout, and also the like history of Vegas organized crime and the notions of like resources in the desert, and that's why the Hoover Dam is such an important part of the world building.
Speaker 4: In the game.
Speaker 3: I wonder if meeting these different factions is also going to be part of that, Like, is the reason that he looks so good, he's got the world, he's got the suit?
Speaker 4: Well, is it because he's already a criminal?
Speaker 2: Let me So there's another level of this. So I think there's been some talk about whether Palette and Harkness is Palatine Harkness for the game or is this and in for a more notable character from Fallout four Paladin Dance Now, Paladin Dance of the Commonwealth is spoiler for those of you who have not yet played Fallout four, and I guess potential spoiler for the show though this is now we're just getting into theory world, so.
Speaker 4: You don't want to have the theory.
Speaker 2: Paladin Dance is a synth. So the synthetics and I'm not going to go to this is just like a thirty thousand foot view. Since are synthetic are robot humans that you know, we're used to replace people in the Wasteland of the Commonwealth, and this has caused a lot of stir out in the Wasteland with a lot of rumors and different settlements that people were being kidnapped and replaced by people that look just like them but didn't act like them. And then so these synths are created by the Institute, which is a faction centered around the the former Ruins of Mit that's highly engaged in science. And the Institute had been having a problem where some of their synths had been because the Sins have free will, some of their since had been like I don't want to do this and had escaped and had been and their escape had been aided by a group of humans called the Railroad that was helping them go to freedom. And in the game, Paladin Harkness, who is I believe a woman in the game, is what is called a courser, and a courser is basically a synth cop that has been created that is, you know, very sophisticated, very adept at infiltration, and basically has been created to hunt down escaped since and bring them back to the Institute. So I do wonder if Paladin Harkness is not a synth or possibly a courser, or in any case, not a human being. And if we are just beginning now to be introduced to characters who are gonna learn are actually not people. So my and so you know, we talked about the fact in episode one that House doesn't look like himself on the TV, And so I wonder if what's happening is we're starting to get the threads of the Institute conspiracy, the Institute's role in this overall corporate conspiracy, and if we are starting to meet characters who are not who are actually synthetic robot human beings and not flesh and blood human beings.
Speaker 1: And I love.
Speaker 2: More to that point, are we going to actually see Harkness like solo a bunch of brother tote of steel people because he's not a person, he's aye body.
Speaker 3: Did wonder if the as soon as you've said that, I was like, okay, episode three, cold open, it's just him like soloing everyone. Also, this makes a lot of sense because something I really love about Fallout and especially like Robert House and the New Vegas stuff, is it is inherently tied into kind of the myth of like Walt Disney and the idea of this like soul Innovator, you know, something that is created as a mythology around a singular person rather than like a reality of collaboration, same that Disney did with stan Lee. You know, with someone like Walt Disney, it was people like up Eyeworks who were cut out of that legacy, you know. So what I love is how all of those threads are coming together here because obviously you have the notion that Walt Disney was the reason he was creating these animatronics was so he could put his own brain in one and replace himself. And we see, you know, Bud has the brain in the bucket. They're having so much fun with our cultural understanding of these different ideas of masculinity and male leadership. And I think with Robert House, they're onto something that is so vagacy and so intriguing, and I love the idea that he has been able to make these different people. And you know what the interesting thing is, if you think about the technology of the mesmetron and the way that we see House using it, the first version of that can just be taking over somebody else's body and controlling it. That is what happens when you are alive. And then the question is what do you do when you die to continue that immortality. And obviously the idea of living forever and cryo is a huge part of Fallout, and this notion of being alive for the future while being able to remember this idealized version of the past. Is this really interesting exploration of human want. And I just think that this season, and now that you've kind of put that into my mind about Harkness, I just think there's so much interesting stuff that suits the Vaga setting too, because think about like, that's the first place that they had like holographic performers, and it's also where people would stay for years, and it's where you know, when you watch something like Blade Around of twenty forty nine, they have holographic Elvis, or you watch an old movie they have an animatronic version of Frank Sinatra. I think there's so many interesting ways that this can tie in to the Vegas setting, which I think is why New Vegas is so beloved, is because they didn't just set it there because they thought it would look cool. They tied it in to the history and cultural conflicts that have shaped it. And I guess, Jason, do you think we're going to see any kind of similar water conflict or Hoover Dam showdown in this iteration because we know that they're going to branch out and this is more of a setting. But I could imagine an incredible like gang war showdown on the dam or something.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to get that towards the end of this season. And I think the end of this season is going to keep drawing us east. I think we've you know, we've done the West Coast and the ruins around the California Republic. We were in New Vegas kind of world right now, and I think we simply must move east towards the Commonwealth and see what stories are.
Speaker 1: There for us.
Speaker 2: And I think I'm theorizing that it will have a lot to do with the Institute and the possibility that the Institute has replaced some of the people that are involved in the conspiracy currently, like what if some of you know, I think we're gonna find out some maybe some vaut people are since tofine find out that the Robert House that exists in this world is a synthetic, and so I think that that's where we're.
Speaker 3: Going, Okay, Jason, Another thing I wanted to speak to about that I thought was really interesting about this episode, and I would love to know your thoughts on this because we talked a lot about, like, you know, the way that Asian American people and Asian people in general are represented in media something the show here. I think that is doing is really interesting And obviously this is like tenemount part of the game too, but like, how does it feel to see the way that they are upending these kind of notions of like the Chinese American nuclear war and China is this anti American thing? And how kind of more exploring it as oh America used that as a sy up in these corporations used as a sioup to fuck with people. How does that feelization, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's quite interesting, and I think it makes it it's an important I think it's a very interesting decision in the context of a game that is set in this retro future Cold war setting, this idea that corporations so concerned by growing progressivism, socialism, and possibly communism that they must take control of, you know, the world governments and the United States of America by any means necessary in order to preserve some form of capitalism and bureaucratic corporate control structures. And I mean it's also very interesting that like, despite all that, the Vault system is like quasi socialist in the way like everybody has a job and like has given a job and has a role within the structure and is also has to like apply for a license to like marry a certain person because of like the very pressing genetic.
Speaker 1: Issues down there.
Speaker 2: It's all I think, it's all very interesting, and certainly to learn as in the game that.
Speaker 1: The that the war was a psyop is pretty fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited to see them explode that more.
Speaker 4: And I love the kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: You were pointing out that just about like the realities of this really being about control, And I kind of love the show that is this wacky way You're getting giant scorpions poisoning people and a cool Western guy who's like a Freddy Krueger anti hero, and a cutesy kind of English actor who's like super bubbly and all.
Speaker 4: These genre trappings.
Speaker 3: There is something very interesting at the center of these stories, and I kind of love, just like it was with Starship Troopers, you know, with these kind of big, bombastic storytelling adventures that happen within these more obviously like militarized or first person shooter or action spaces, you can get away with a lot of subversive conversation and communication within them, and I love that the show is continuing that and understanding that, like, yeah, is somebody going to be educated about like the entire history of capitalism by the show on Amazon Prime. No, but could it start somebody thinking about the different ways that these systems work and maybe why they aren't always so great? Yes, And I think that is really cool. And I still do think this show succeeds in that.
Speaker 1: I will say, I do.
Speaker 2: Think it's one of the most ingenious details of capitalism. Absolutely in a sense, it's a regime, right, but the philosophy allows for space for criticism and for messages and content that directly criticize and even call for the overthrow of the system, as long as that message finds its monetary value within the system itself.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, So basically it's saying, okay, creating this kind of like appy anti capitalist, anti corporate story is very interesting. But it's only interesting if it's not interesting for the content.
Speaker 1: Of its message.
Speaker 2: It's interesting for the monetary value of its message to the consumers who find it interesting. And therefore that is why it has a place in the overall structure of capitalism. I mean, that's kind of why capitalism is so formidable, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Truly, And you actually a blowing my mind because when you think about it. Isn't that like the constant critique where people will be like, how can people watch Star Wars and not realize they're the bad guys? It's like, because the entire system is made so that if you don't want to think about it, you don't don't have to think about it, and if you do want to get that reading from it, you can. And you're right, that's such an interesting kind of wrinkle of capitalism or actually, like you know, perfectly ironed out plan of capitalism is like, yeah, you can critique it, you can say it's bad, but you know what, you still need to feed your family. So if you're going to put that show on about how it's bad, you better put it on the and by the corporation that you're critiquing, you know it's And that's before we even get into the idea of like, you know, video games and the company that made this and the issues that all video games companies have had. It's it's intentionally very complicated, and I think actually, as we move forward, this is going to become more of a thing because this was one of my base issues with The Running Man. I feel like this is going to become as our world of dystopian fiction collides with our real world and our kind of understanding of what has been going on for a long time in America and other countries. Is like, these shows stop being as easy to just go like, oh yeah, I'm on the ride, man, I ride for these people. You start going, Okay, well, who's making them and what's the intention? And where do they go? And how do I watch them? And it's deeply intriguing time to be somebody who cares about and likes this stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to continue covering Fallout, among other things.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Extra Vision. We're celebrating the.
Speaker 2: Holidays with our list of best Santas in film.
Speaker 1: You wost it for this episode.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and as a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abusafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Dean Jonathan and Bay Wack.
Speaker 2: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator