Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. We'll talk some football with Jason Garrett from Football Night in America and how much pressure are these coaching candidates going to face going into some of these jobs eight seven to seven to three. DP Show Email address Dpadanpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle a DP show. Good morning. I was watching on Peacock and listening on our radio affiliates around the country. Stat of the Day brought to you by Patini America, the official trading cards for The Dan Patrick Show. Poll question more stats of the Day coming up. Reggie Miller will join us in the final hour of the program. We stumbled upon a topic a question for you the audience in the first hour because Buffalo Bill's fans are not going to let go of that interception, and instead of blaming who you need to blame, and that's Josh Allen, You're going to blame the official. The more I see it, the more I hear from former players, certainly defensive backs and wide receivers, they made the right call. Now in the moment, I didn't think they did, and I didn't think once they called it an interception, I thought, there's no way they'll be able to overturn this. And if you had called it the other way, you wouldn't have been able to overturn it. I don't think if you looked at it again, but to say we're going to hold that official accountable, that's why we didn't advance, you'd be incorrect with that, and you would be holding on to something that's really not fair to the totality of the way your team played. You should have won the game. You should have won the game. Yeah, the best player on the field and he didn't play well. Seaton Poll question results from hour one and then we'll look ahead for hour two.
Speaker 3: Let's see we have up there. Would you rather be the head coach of the Cleveland Browns or an offensive coordinator somewhere else? That's holding steady at about eighty two percent of the audience would rather be an offensive coordinator somewhere.
Speaker 4: Else, all right?
Speaker 2: In fairness to what we're talking about, Mike McDaniel wasn't offered the head coaching job in Cleveland. He took his name out of the running, and now he's expected to be the offensive coordinator with the churchers.
Speaker 3: Some people saying that's not fair because, say, a job like the Chargers or the Lions are different types of jobs than the offensive coordinator of I don't know, a not good.
Speaker 2: Team like the Titans. Perhaps, Okay, yeah, yeah, Paul, Do you.
Speaker 5: Want to play the game if all NFL jobs were open today for the same pay, which is the last one you'd take? Because it feels like everyone's putting the Browns in that list?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Is there a worse situation?
Speaker 2: I think Tennessee is promising, But once again, it goes back to can you trust ownership in the front office. I mean, you're bringing in Robert Salah Okay, who's your offensive coordinator? To help Cam more? But I do think you got a lot of cap space there. I would say that, you know, there's promise there. I think there's promise in Cleveland. But you got to get a quarterback because I don't think you have a starting quarterback in the building. You've got a pretty good defense, you got the defensive player of the year, the defensive rookie of the year. Okay, but how are your skilled position players? You know, now you're in a division that feels like it's in a state of flux. Arizona is the place I don't want to go unless I retire. Then I'd be fine going there, But if I'm going to coach now, they lost like fourteen or their last fifteen. The Raiders situation, I got to lean on Brady that Brady will get it right. And Brady was at the National title game, and from what I was told, coaching candidates were encouraged to fly there so they could do all their meetings there. Jets situation. I don't like that either. It's kind of the same bottom feeders, you know. That's why they're always in the topic, you know, conversation with the draft.
Speaker 5: Top five, Yeah, Paul, going back to the Browns, they were five and twelve and they were outscored by one hundred points this weekend. All right, last year they did have a top fifteen defense. For example, the Jets were outscored by two hundred and three points, Raiders by one ninety one, They Arazon a Cardo by one thirty three. Those are the futile teams.
Speaker 2: Some phone calls here with these bad moments that you get to revisit here on the program, Chris in Minnesota, which the moment you can't move on from.
Speaker 6: Thanks Dan, first time, long time. First of us want to thank you Dan for all the years in case I never get to call you again, and thank you and hopefully you enjoy your retirement in two years. For me as a Raiders fan, it's the Tuck rule, you know, the tuck rull game. I think goes with what the divisional playoff. I can't remember the year, but man, that for that rule to now be nonexistent and now here it's it was so crucial to that Raiders team. And you know, obviously the legend of Tom Brady was that was a big stepping.
Speaker 4: Stone for him to win that year.
Speaker 6: But then that play just guts me because that ball is pointed right down on the bottom of the ground.
Speaker 7: When he gets sacked.
Speaker 6: So I don't understand, ever, I will ever understand how that's not a or how that's a incompletion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when a game has a name a nickname attached to it, you know that's one that's not going away anytime soon. Uh. Mark in Charleston, Him, Mark, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 9: Dan, appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 9: First, all our longtime listener, I would just like to point out as a fan base. I'll set the team. It's Super Bowl forty nine. You're a Seahawk fan. You're watching your team on the goal line, ready to put a dagger in the Patriots. You got Beast mode sitting right there, waiting to just steamroll anybody in front of you. And what does Pete Carroll do. As smart as a coach as he is, he dials up this bush league slamp pass and it goes right into the sturdy hands of a rookie Malcolm Butler at the time. And then, of course Brady does his best Tom Brady impression, takes down the field, scores a game winner for them. Good night, game over, drive home safely.
Speaker 2: Wait, I thought after Malcolm Butler had the interception, they just ran out, ran out the clock. They didn't. Tom didn't take him down for a touchdown.
Speaker 9: Tom prior to that, had taken him down and he.
Speaker 2: Was doing okay, oh yeah, okay, yeah. Because I'm in the end zone, I'm standing underneath the goalpost, and it's one of those I'll I'll never forget watching that unfold because I thought, okay, they either give it to Marshawn Lynch or you have a run pass option with Russell Wilson. Therefore he can throw the ball away, maybe he runs it in for a touchdown. I did not think that throwing the ball over the middle, because when he did it, I went, oh, bleep because it was so tight the traffic in there. But Malcolm Butler, what an unbelievable play might be the greatest play in Super Bowl history? Isn't it? Could it be a loss became a win? Yes? And for what Brady's resume is and Belichick's resume, what was attached to that? Yes, Marvin, you.
Speaker 10: Hit it on the head. That one play differentiates whether Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Pete Carroll gets into the Hall of Fame or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kevin in Cleveland, Hi, Kevin A.
Speaker 7: DP Dannetz five seven. And according to WebMD, morbidly obese. You may be the only one amongst the guys that remember this. But red right eighty eight January fourth, nineteen eighty one, Raiders Browns. I was eighteen years old at the time I saw it and wept in front of the TV. And is it unhealthy? Just last question? Is it unhealthy that every January fourth since then I walk around with a not in my stomach my wife. Yes, I think it's justified.
Speaker 2: Let describe the play to the audience.
Speaker 7: Okay, the play was. It was thirteen seconds left, I believe, and the Browns had a choice. It was thirty seven below zero. The Browns had a choice to kick a field goal and win the game or go for a touchdown. And Sam Retigliano, the coach at the time, decided this play and Brian Site threw it and it was an interception game over. It was I don't know if you could you could hear a pin drop in the stadium.
Speaker 2: Well happen, and you know, you could have picked the Ernest Biner fumble, John Elways drive was a series of plays there, but Ernest Byner the fumble. Yeah, Brian Site Site might have been MVP that year as well. Uh, Brian in Missouri. Hey Brian, Hey, good morning Dan.
Speaker 8: First of all, let me say that the fact that you guys don't have a sports that me should be investigated by I don't know, Congress.
Speaker 2: Congress has more important things. Not really, not really, it's criminal, Thank you, Brian, thank you.
Speaker 8: My play is the twenty eighteen AFC Championship game when freaking d Ford lines up off sides, the Chiefs intercept Brady. They are going to go to the super Bowl. It's Patrick Mahomes's first year as a starter. He's thrown for over five thousand yards passing and I'm not mistaken fifty touchdowns and d Ford can't line up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you made up for that with some super bowls, yes, Paulie.
Speaker 5: But if they don't win a bunch of Super Bowls after that, that play has a lot more legendary status. I'm looking at it right now. D Ford's a foot over the line.
Speaker 2: Of scrimmage, Mike Jones tackling Kevin Dyson at the one yard line. Yeah, Paulie.
Speaker 5: Now, I just looked at that play when Mike Jones made that tackle on Dyson. If they score and go for one, obviously it goes to overtime. So it's not a loss different than Malcolm.
Speaker 2: Butler, Jesse and Kansas. I like how we're tapping into people's misery. We're trying to make Buffalo Bill's fans feel a little bit better today. What do you have for me, jess Hey.
Speaker 11: Third time, A long time, young blooded, old school I've got too damn but real fast. If I can say, I called in last year at the dress to tell you guys about my sons in the nick you and I might need to help me in this case.
Speaker 1: But he's doing great.
Speaker 12: He's almost one years old.
Speaker 11: He has a cerful palsy diagnosis. He thought it affective most kids, and he's super happy, get and curious. But I didn't get to say thank you to you guys, to you the day nets the back room guys, Stephen Wilson Jr. The song twisted, you know really helped me out. You guys, we didn't have a lot of time, and you know, you know what to do for people, but just wanted you know, you have an audience of people. I'm not in a hospital bed every day, but I'm trauma bound here show three hours a day because I need you guys to help me get through my life. So I just wanted to say that.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys, Thank you, thank you, Jesse, thank you, Curtis and Illinoishi Curtis ADP.
Speaker 13: The game that lives just rent free in my head still to this day is the twenty twelve sail Mary again still is living in Illinois. Being a Packers fan isn't bad enough this time of year, but just reliving that one, and I still hate Russell Wilson in the Seahawks word because it's got to be the worst officiated play in NFL history.
Speaker 2: There's a list of those plays. But thank you, Curtis.
Speaker 7: Seeen.
Speaker 2: Did we come up with the pole question for hour two?
Speaker 3: Well, I've been trying to wait to see how this topic shakes out, to see if one presents itself about worst calls or worst plays, most painful plays, etc. We do have one here from Marvin about the biggest baseball Hall of Fame snub Dale Murphy, Don Mattingley or Steve Garvey's fun Okay, I like that. We'll throw that one up there, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Murph was he was so close. It felt like two MVPs didn't win anything except for one of the nicest people I've ever met my life. Went from being a catcher to a center fielder. But he's in the Hall of good, very good. He's in the Hall of very Good. Mattingly. Mattingly was like two years two good years away, I feel like, and if he won a World Series like they did that next year, he's probably in the Hall of Fame. And Garby to me, is a Hall of Famer. When you say the name, I go, yeah, okay, yeah, hall of Famer, yeah, Mark, Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think Don Matteleie being a great player and not winning with the Yankees definitely hurts the resume and him not playing a really long time and it's not like he played for twenty years. His great years are probably ten.
Speaker 2: I think Mattingly was a better player than Kirby Pucket, but Kirby was so instrumental in the Twins winning couple of World Series titles, and he also had the injury as well. Because I think you have to play a minimum of ten years. Is that what it is? But yeah, it's tricky with the Hall of Fame because we tend to throw I don't know, people's names are AT's what they did, what they didn't do. I mean, it's their life. I mean it's the most important thing in their in their life or at least their career, the Hall of Fame, and you know, we tend to kind of go, oh, this and that and what did he do? And then you know postseason and you know they're just there's a lot of things involved, and then of course you throw in the steroids because you know that's tricky. But I do think somewhere down the road a whole new wave of younger writers will look at steroids differently. I do think that it's it's the era, the era that these guys were in, and and and if if you want to put Bonds in and you know, we we bring this up every year at this time or a Rod just put it on their plaque, put put something that denotes what happened, you know. But Bonds was never like that's trickier. Hey Rodd, you know they popped him twice. I guess he shouldn't be involved in baseball at all. Now he's one of the faces of baseball. Yes, Mark Steve Garvey was before my time. But was there a signature moment, Like I know he had a great playoff run as far as batting average, but does he have that signature home run a lah David Ortiz where you can point to something that he did in the postseason. No, he played in one World Series, but he was very good in the postseason. I mean he had numbers and National leagu Championship Series. Was he two World Series or one? One?
Speaker 14: Dan?
Speaker 5: He hit three twenty five in that World Series?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, And you know with my source saying, Hey, Garvey, whenever his name comes up, the voters, writers tend to chop him up, like you know, it's Benny Hannah with his defense. Well, he did win four Gold Gloves. I don't know, seems like that better than average. It's weird how we use somebody's defensive abilities or liabilities. I've heard many, many, many times that the joker can't play defense, Steph Curry can't play defense. I don't know if Shay Gilgess Alexander can play defense. I've never heard somebody say, man, he can play defense. It's he gets a lot of free throws and you'll be the MVP again this year. Yes, pulling.
Speaker 5: It is frustrating also when certain players like a Steve Garvey or whoever you want to talk about, Dale Murphy, they're in their late seventies and you want to do it now. You want to let them enjoy it now, because where would be Where would the outrage be if Steve Garvey got into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Not No, there wouldn't be none. Yeah, yeah, it does feel.
Speaker 3: Weird to hold the defensive abilities of a baseball player against them when they have a position called designated hitter.
Speaker 2: They don't have a designated Yeah, but I remember Frank Thomas won the MVP, and you know people are like, not a very good defender, a pretty good at offense. I mean, Rafael pal Merrow won a Gold Glove and I think he played less than ten games at first base, Like, how is that possible? Must have been ten great games, lights out. It must have been the most unbelievable performance there. So when you get these awards, I don't know what nobody cares about gold Glove now. Back back in the sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties, it felt like it was important, But I don't think it is now.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marv, is it because baseball is out of the national consciousness?
Speaker 2: Well, we look at baseball as you either strike somebody out or you hit a home run. I don't think we look at it as boy, they got a great defensive team.
Speaker 10: So what have Ozzie Smith had been a big star like he was in the eighties today's game?
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't think So let me take a break. Jason Garrett, Well, Jonas, we'll talk to some of these coaching vacancies. He interviewed for the Tennessee John He'll join us next here Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 15: Hey is Covino and Rich from Fox Sports Radio Now. In addition to hearing us live weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, We're excited to announce a brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: Yup, that's right.
Speaker 15: You can now watch Covino and Rich live on YouTube every day. All you gotta do search Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube. Again, go to YouTube search Covino and Rich FSR. Check us out on YouTube, subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon comment away.
Speaker 2: Jason Garrett, NBC Football Night in America's studio analyst, former Cowboys head coach back on the program. We were just talking about painful moments, you know, Buffalo Bill's fans having a hard time getting over that interception, and you were the coach of the Cowboys for the des Bryant play. I was is that your toughest play? That like that still stays with you of all the plays when you were coaching or a player.
Speaker 4: You know, I would say two plays.
Speaker 14: The des Bryant play would be one, and then the other play was a couple of years later in the Divisional Ral when when Aaron Rodgers rolled left and made that amazing throw. So, yeah, we had we had a couple of interesting ones at the end of games, you know, with a chance to go to the NFC Championship game and they go right to the end of the end of the game against the Packers.
Speaker 4: And Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: But the des Bryant call. What were you told in the moment and were you okay with what they told you about that non touchdown?
Speaker 14: Well, uh, I feel like I'm an expert in this area because I've talked about this a lot with a lot of people through the years.
Speaker 4: Uh I was.
Speaker 14: I was bothered by the call for a couple of different reasons. The number of times I had heard prior to that play.
Speaker 4: You know, how long do you need to catch the ball?
Speaker 14: And there was always this idea of, hey, all you need is time enough to make a football move. And the officials who would tell me this, they would say, hey, he doesn't have to make a football move. It's just time enough to make a football move. And if you look at the Dead Briant play. You know, he catches the ball just outside the five yard line. It was one of the most amazing catches I believe in the history of football. He catches it and he switches hands with it. He gets one foot down, two foot down. The third he lunges, so he's switched hands. He's gotten the feet down. Lunge is a football move. He has the ball here, he extends it. These are all football moves over the course of five yards. So he's essentially running with the ball to get himself down there to make that extension. And you know, for them to come back and say he needs to survive the ground, this thing that seemed to trump everything else. You know, I'm like, how many times have I heard from you guys? He doesn't even have to make a football move, He just needs time enough. And literally he made seven football moves over the course of five yards. And then the other part of it is it was ruled to catch on the field by a guy who was standing right there. And so for them to come into it afterwards and say, you know, it's indisputable that this is not a catch, it was really a.
Speaker 4: Hard thing for me to comprehend.
Speaker 14: And if you remember after that, it started with Calvin Johnson and then it was the des play, and then for about three or four years after that, every catch or non catch was viewed through that same prism, and they completely screwed up.
Speaker 4: What a catch was.
Speaker 14: I mean, guys are running down the field stumbling, and they have it for ten yards, but he falls down and all of a sudden, that's not a catch. And so a little bit like the tuck rule, took him about five years to quietly try to change it. But I think we're kind of back to that same place, and I think it's frustrating for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: What did you think in the moment of the interception in the Broncos Bills game.
Speaker 4: I still think it's a catch.
Speaker 14: I do you know, a hundred years ago in football you had to tackle a guy and lay on top of him and keep him down. If you look at the old films, they tackle him and the guy keeps getting back up. Right, that's rugby. We're not playing rugby, right, We're playing football. So for him to make that catch, secure the ball, go to the ground, be touched, and then have the defender rip the ball out when they're on the ground, what are we doing?
Speaker 4: You know, it's a catch.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a catch in the moment, and the more I looked at it, the more it felt like the defender was getting his hands on the ball before they hit the ground. I was, first of all, I was surprised that they called it in interception, and I knew they weren't going to overturn it. If they called her to catch, I don't think they would have overturned it either.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and again that's what takes me back to the des Brian play. It was called a catch, and to say indiscantable evidence overturns it. You know, I have a regret about that play. Dan afterwards in the game, you know, it was a head coach, you're always preaching no excuses, and you know I talked to our guys about, Hey, that was one play. We had fifty six minutes before, We had four minutes afterwards to win that game. So we're not gonna We're not going to rely on officials to make the right calls. It's our job as players and coaches. Having said that, something I wish I should have said was in the moment, I get all that there's no excuses.
Speaker 4: We had our opportunities.
Speaker 14: But Tony Rollman made an amazing throw and Dez Bryant made one of the greatest catches in the history of the National Football League. And for me as a coach, as a former player, and as a fan of footbootball, this play should have been in the lore of Bradshaw to Swan over Mark Washington and the Super Bowl falling stumbling down. There should have been Roger staullback to Butch Johnson, all of those amazing plays in the history of the game.
Speaker 4: And somehow it got caught up and officiating.
Speaker 14: And I thought about this the other day because coming out of that game, what did we talk about? We talked about a catcher, no catch or interception, and then we talked about the past interferences on the following drive. Right, They let the players play a certain way the whole game, and then all of a sudden, we're calling these plays at the end.
Speaker 4: And I have nothing against Denver.
Speaker 14: They did a fantastic job all year long, but I hate as a fan of football that officiating in these big games is what the conversation is.
Speaker 2: What was it like to interview for the Tennessee John.
Speaker 14: A great experience, really like Mike Organzi their general manager, Dave Zigglers their assistant general manager, Reggie McKenzie's there, Chat Brinker, really good guys. You know, I went down there. The interview was supposed to be like I think from nine to twelve. We went from about nine to fifteen to close to three o'clock, so, you know, plenty of time to talk about football and a vision.
Speaker 4: For the team.
Speaker 2: But are you thinking the long team the longer it goes that, Like, you know, if it's only going to go three hours and now it goes close to six hours in your mind, are you going you call your wife and you say, man, I killed it.
Speaker 14: You know, no, not so much that More than just I love talking football, and I really like the guys they put together there, some former general managers coming together, and I think they have shared values and how to build the team in a lot of ways. There's a blank canvas down there, a really good young quarterback, an elite defensive player playing defensive line for him. So he's awesome, and it was it was just fun talking ball and sharing your vision for what the team can be, and a really good experience.
Speaker 2: Talking to Jason Garrett NBC Football Night in America studio analyst. If you're coaching the Broncos, how do you use Jared Stidham And are you using him in a way that you are not wouldn't be using bow knicks, you know.
Speaker 14: I think Sean will do a great job with him. I played for Sean for three years. I think one of his great traits is creating a comfortable environment for quarterbacks, and I.
Speaker 4: Think he'll do that.
Speaker 14: I think Stidham's skill set is actually pretty similar to bo Knix's. They both do a good job with movement plays, play action type stuff.
Speaker 4: Certainly capable for throwing the ball from the pocket.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 14: The concern is Jared Stidham has started four games in the NFL, so he does not have that much experience. So even though he's played in the NFL for a while, he hasn't taken these game snaps, certainly not in the AFC Championship game. So I think Sean will have that in the forefront of his mind. He'll get them comfortable in the game. Run the ball, movement plays, screens, those kinds of things, get them some completion.
Speaker 4: You know, the guys at NBC hear me say this all the time.
Speaker 14: Get them five completions before he even knows he's out there, you know. And I think that's a big thing. As a coordinator, that's always what you're trying to do for your quarterbacks, certainly in big moments like this. So I think their skill sets are the same. I don't think they'll have to change that much. But I think Sean will be mindful of how much he hasn't played. I think he'll try to get them comfortable.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering about these coaching vacancies, the pressure. I mean, normally you don't have, you know, playoff teams, changing coaches. You go into Buffalo, you're expected to go to the AFC title game. I'm guessing you go to Baltimore, you're expected to go to the AFC title game. You go into Pittsburgh, you're expected to make the playoffs. This is in Arizona. This isn't Tennessee. This is in Cleveland. I can't remember where you had vacancies where the pressure was this, you know, ratcheted this high.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no doubt.
Speaker 14: And those are really good coaches who had coached for a long time and build amazing programs and to replace those guys. Uh, and then you know, like you said, ratchet it up, take it to the next level. Those are not easy things to do. I do think they're really good organizations. Steelers is a great organization, Raven's great organization, So Buffalo really good organization. So I do think that they have some things in place there that you like in all those spots. There's no question about that for me. You know. The other thing, you know, some of those teams that have not been as good. You know, all of a sudden, you're looking at what Mike Vrabel did in New England. Hey they won four they won four games last year and then the AFC Championship game. So all of a sudden, there's an expectation there that you're supposed to flip it around in year one, and I think ownership in those spots needs to be careful. I think those are exceptions go back in the history of football. It's hard to turn things around. And then even if you look at a team like Washington, dan Quinn did such an amazing job in year one and now that they've kind of fallen back to the mean, if you will, So I think you want to build it the right way regards of where you're coming from, and if you go into those places, you got to be careful about trying to copy the guy who was there before. You better be yourself. I think a lot of mistakes are made when guys try to copy what's been there. Be yourself and get yourself going.
Speaker 2: It feels like we're not going to give Seattle credit until we see Seattle winning a super Bowl. Like it just felt like regular season, Okay, I mean toughest division, and it almost feels like people are rooting for the Rams because the Rams look like, you know, hey, I got Stafford there, and I got Pookainakua and Sean McVay. Like, Seattle's just played great football. I just don't know if we've acknowledged the great football that they played from start to finish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Seattle was really really good. Middle of the year.
Speaker 14: I went out there and I interviewed Sam Darnold and got a chance to spend the day there watch practice, be around the meetings and walk throughs and stuff, and I just love I just love everything about their team. I think they've built it the right way again, created a great environment for their quarterback. Jsn is an elite player on offense. But for me, you know what separates them as their defense on all three levels. These guys are really really good, and I think they're head coach and defensive genius. Mike McDonald is fantastic, and you know, I have a good story about him. I've gotten to know him a little bit over the last couple of years.
Speaker 4: And so we're.
Speaker 14: Talking about, you know, building, you know, everyone talks about building culture and all of that. I said, you've done an amazing job here And I said, you know, what have you done?
Speaker 4: And he was so honest and humble. He said, last year I had no idea.
Speaker 2: What I was doing.
Speaker 4: He said, I have no idea. You kind of dive into it and you just are reeling.
Speaker 14: But he said, after after the season, he got a chance to sit down and really think about what you want to build here. And you know, Pete Carroll had done a great job building a certain culture there and and and I asked him, I said, hey, is this just like you, you know, trying to replicate what happened in Baltimore, that that's your experience. And he said, yeah, in some ways, because I was there for so long. But he said, I also pulled back and said, you know, this has to be our culture in the environment we create. So keeping some of the good stuff from Pete Carroll absolutely, some of the stuff from the Ravens absolutely, some of the stuff from our players and coaches, things that they think are important.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And then at the end of it, he says, you know, if.
Speaker 14: The coach was all about my personality, we'd be really boring.
Speaker 4: So we don't. We don't want to be that, you know.
Speaker 14: And so to me, he's so he's so good at what he does, but he's so humble, and I think what he's created there and what they've created there, John Schneider a great job, but the person well, I love their team.
Speaker 2: Jace, good to talk to you again, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, enjoy the game this weekend.
Speaker 2: That's Jason Garrett, NBC Football Night in America studio analyst. Well, they may have taken on Mike McDonald's personality. They're kind of boring, but they're boringly great. I think any of these other teams would say, we'll take on that personality. We're fine with that. We'll take a break. More of your phone calls, more of your misery. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Reggie Miller in a half hour from now. Golden State Warriors without Jimmy Butler the rest of the season, and you start to wonder, are the Warriors kind of morphing into the Lakers the last couple of years with Kobe Bryant, where it was we're not going to be threatening, but come on out and watch Kobe end his career. Steph Curry is still playing at a pretty high level at thirty seven. Now they're trying to maybe send Jonathan kaminga who I think has been rumored to be traded the last two years now might be traded so they can get somebody. But they're gonna they're not gonna get somebody young. They're gonna have to get somebody older. And they're talking about maybe Damar rote DeRozan, which okay, I mean, that's that's that's okay. They're talking now once again, there's these opportunities. Maybe they could bring back Klay Thompson. That's a possibility. Dallas is interested in Jonathan KAMINGA. But for Steph Curry, what do you got two more years? Maybe maybe a third because I can't see him going from being the focal point to them just being maybe the way Lebron is with the Lakers now, maybe he can be that where You're like, well, I'll be your third option. I'd like to see what the other two options are, because I don't know how you're gonna find somebody who's still going to be better than Steph Curry. So we'll talk to Reggie about that. For over forty years, tire Rack's been helping you find the right tires for how and what and where you drive, ship fast and free back by free road hazard protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, tyrec dot com. The way tire buying should be. Tyler in Utah, Hi, ty what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Oh? Just first time caller? Uh six?
Speaker 6: Just bringing back misery?
Speaker 17: Was at the two thousand and seven Wild Card Game Dallas in Seattle and Romo Bubble jew.
Speaker 7: Less than two minutes left.
Speaker 12: Oh, Jason Garrett didn't bring that one up, but that one hurts well.
Speaker 2: He wasn't part of the team. I asked him about when he was coaching the Cowboys. He wasn't there and Romo watched the field goal snap and then tried to run it in. You still go back to that des Bryant play. It is fascinating that they didn't think that it was he was making football a football move. He made football moves. I bizarre, bizarre, and that you know you overturn that so it's called to catch on the field, and then they overturned it like there's certain times when you say they're not going to overturn that, that when they did. But I still think, you know, the embarrassing one for the NFL was Calvin Johnson when he scores that touchdown and that opened the door, That opened the door to interpretation. Did you complete the process? I wonder how the NFL would have been affected with today's rules catch not a catch, complete the process? All of that? What would how would they have ruled with Franco Harris with the immaculate reception? Did it hit the ground? Did it hit another player? I don't know if the call on the field was do you overturn it? Like down through history there have been plays where you know, now you look back and you go man would they have called that a catch?
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, if that happened now you would know if it was a catch or not. There wouldn't really be any debate. Like look at the Julian Edelman catch against the Falcons. You were able to see because of video that that was only like half an inch off the ground.
Speaker 2: So it was a good catch. Yeah, but we still don't know if the ball didn't hit another stealer like there was the ricochet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if it was modern day you would probably be able to tell that more based on the number of cameras and the quality of cameras, there wouldn't be as much of a debate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even now when we look at it, you still can't tell. But that was standard definition. Let's see Grant and Charlotte H. Grant, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Well, it's up DP all right. Being a Panthers fan, I got two for you. So two thousand and four Super Bowl I was eleven. John Casey kicks the ball out of bounds on the kickoff against the Patriots, giving them giving it to him on the forty Adam minitary easy field goal for the wind That was a heartbreaker. And then cam in twenty sixteen. Not diving on the ball, not diving on the fumble. That's become me worthy.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Grant. I don't think it would have mattered against Denver, but you're right, that ball was just kind of there and Cam didn't jump on it. Uh, Sam and Colorado? Hey Sam, Hey.
Speaker 16: Dan, and you guys, second time, long time, long suffering bite Kings fan.
Speaker 2: So this one still stings.
Speaker 16: Back in ninety eight, we had Randall Cunningham just winding up and chucking it down the field to the life of Randy Moss and Chris Carter. We had Johnny Randall playing d end, one of the baddest little guys ever to play the position. And then we had the infamous Gary Anderson had not missed any field goals all year. We are about to go to the Super Bowl, and Gary Anderson decides to, Yeah, you know what, in the bed.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if he decided to. I think it just happened that way, but I get what you're you're laying down there, Sam had. Vikings team was good. They were really good. Well, they'd lose one game that year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pully, that ninety eight Vikings team, Randall Cunningham prime Chris Carter, Randy Moss reed the running back Robert Smith breakout season.
Speaker 10: Wow. Yes, Marv and the Broncos were like, man, we got a tough game. Probably going to face the Vikings. Oh we have the Falcons all right.
Speaker 2: Rich in California, Hi Rich.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Dan and crew.
Speaker 17: Thanks so much to take my call.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it.
Speaker 7: YEP.
Speaker 17: I grew up about thirty minutes east of Oakland, Big Raider fan and the Heyday Warriors fan. As fan went in three state World Series and can't forget the Oakland Seals.
Speaker 4: But the.
Speaker 17: Moment that haunts me is one of the most famous, the Immaculate Reception, And obviously there isn't great film on that. But our daughter and husband live in Pittsburgh, and every time I fly in the PITTSFORGH Airport, I have to look at that stupid statue of Frank o'herris bent over catching the ball. And the problem with the statue is the ball was off the ground.
Speaker 2: It was not off the ground.
Speaker 17: They did it correctly, that ball would be on the ground with his hands.
Speaker 2: That stupid statue. This is going to be a haunting day for people as they get into that bad mood. And their wife goes, why are you in a bad mood? Dan Patrick asked me to call in and talk about all the painful moments that I've had. Oh, I could see where you're coming into the airport and there's Franco. But Tony Dungee told me a story. I've mentioned it to you before, just to reiterate. When Tony was with the Steelers as a defensive back and then as a coach. He said that Franco Harris on every play when they practiced, ran all the way to the end zone, like if you gave him the football and it was, you know, going through the line of scrimmage. In his practice, he ran. He always ran. He never quit on a play. Well, because of that, Franco doesn't quit on that play. The vault wasn't supposed to go to him. Ricochet and then it goes to Franco and he runs in for the touchdown. It's like Malcolm Butler did what Bill Belichick told him to do in practice. When you see this go right towards the ball, right towards the receiver, and he came up with perhaps the biggest play in the history of the Super Bowl. Reggie Miller will join us. What's next for Steph Curry and the Golden State Warriors. More of your phone calls as well more of your misery eight seven seven three DP show Fritzy Seat and Marv Paul Years truly back after this