Speaker 1: Thirteen Days of Halloween Tenants, a co production of iHeart three D Audio Blumhouse Television and Grim and Mild from Aaron Yankee. Headphones recommended. Listener discretion advised.
Speaker 2: Uh, Hello, you're back. I can hardly see you, But you remember me, don't you? You're real as real as you aren't you afraid someone's gonna hear you? They never seem to. But if you are worried about it, come to the door. It is you. Who else would it be? What are you doing here? Ever since that first night, I've been wondering what happened to you. I guess I was looking for you. I got locked up in solitary for I don't even know how long. I don't think you could have found me if you tried, But I was thinking about you too. Where do they keep you? I mean, are you on this cell block? I'm not sure. I find this place so confusing. Yeah, tell me about it. But how do you keep getting free? I just don't think they pay attention. But I can't seem to find a way out either. I think I'm trapped. Do you know how you got here? No? Do you? I remember enough to know it was an ambush? But not what they want out of it? Or why me? Do you want to escape? It's the only thing I want. Let's make a pact. You find the way out, you tell me. If I find a way, I'll tell you. And if we can go, we'll go together. Shake on it. Your hands are so warm and yours are so cold? How will I know where to find you? I'll find you. Hm, I'm so tired, but I can't sleep. I can sing to you. Won't it make too much noise? I would sing softly?
Speaker 3: Okay, m.
Speaker 4: Mighty, see the.
Speaker 2: Mighty, see the so bye bye that song you sang? Where does it come from? My hie?
Speaker 5: You say?
Speaker 2: Ma high sigh so bye? So buye.
Speaker 6: Rodriguez elate stuff. Whi jusia?
Speaker 1: Is it time for breakfast?
Speaker 6: You missed breakfast? It's time for group group?
Speaker 7: Got to organize this therapy community room.
Speaker 3: Now yourself, it is does has all the things that you desire? How do you become them? Well, when you're imagining your higher self, realize that everything they have is something you already possess.
Speaker 2: My caseworker is my therapist.
Speaker 3: Why SIORI good to see you on your feet?
Speaker 2: How long has it been I don't know, like a week long enough.
Speaker 3: You came in before Easter. On my count, I was over three months ago. Wait wait what anyway? So great to have you join. We're just about to begin. Why not get yourself a refreshment and settle in for some connection.
Speaker 8: Mmm?
Speaker 6: Feeling better?
Speaker 2: Like I woke up with a three month hangover? What we'll circle back on it. You do therapy frip? Is it mandatory?
Speaker 6: It's highly encouraged.
Speaker 2: Tweedled and tweedledum said. I was late, but it doesn't seem like it's actually started.
Speaker 6: We're on intermission.
Speaker 2: Well, at least there are donuts.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't eat those.
Speaker 2: Why which in them?
Speaker 6: Really old? Whatever's left over goes back in the closet until the next session.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what.
Speaker 9: About the coffee?
Speaker 3: All right, everyone, let's regroup. Lots more to share in aday, Grab a seat, gather round, you know what. Let's let Siary speak first today?
Speaker 2: Do I have to?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: Will you physically force me to talk and punish me if I don't? Siory ms Martinez? Thank you.
Speaker 3: Do you see that poster on the wall, which.
Speaker 2: One with the elephant? It's hard work carrying all that weight. Why not share the load? Ugh, gag me.
Speaker 3: Ah, Yes, how true. We've all experienced a weight that seems too much to bear, and though everyone carries something different shane, guilt, regret, revenge, blot, we don't have to go it alone. Sharing that burden is one of the things that pulls us together as a community. Why didn't you tell us about a time that you felt overburdened?
Speaker 2: You mean besides right now, dig.
Speaker 3: Siary, don't be shy. We can keep a secret.
Speaker 2: This necklace that I used to wear I had since middle school. There was a girl, let's call her Stacy. We didn't have any classes together, but she had the locker above mine. Looking impartially, you could consider us platonic acquaintances, but I was obsessed. It was my first crush, and I had no idea what to do. One day, I'm alone in a junk shop and I come across this set of silver necklaces. A moon split into one side a waning give us the other side, a waxing crescent.
Speaker 5: How did you know they were waxing and waning? Because it set it on the box?
Speaker 2: Whose story is this anyway? In the overly formal manner of a dramatic teenager, I wrapped the cress in half in a note from S to S and slipped it through the hole in her locker. That day, at lunch, with the gibbis dangling from my neck, I approached her table, but I chickened out. She was surrounded by friends and they were all cackling. On my way to my next class, I get to our lockers and what do I find? The crescent necklace on the ground, the note crumpled with something scribbled in the margin.
Speaker 5: What did it say?
Speaker 2: I won't repeat it, but it was a three letter word.
Speaker 7: Then what happened?
Speaker 2: I was crushed?
Speaker 1: You didn't really finish the I talked.
Speaker 2: It sucked. I don't want to talk anymore. It's someone else's turn.
Speaker 3: Right, who's next?
Speaker 9: Frip?
Speaker 6: Nope?
Speaker 3: Uh lily h I was not here? Um Keilson, how are you feeling this morning?
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 5: I fine?
Speaker 3: Just fine? What's another word for fine?
Speaker 5: Another word for fine? Fine? Fine? What is another word for fine?
Speaker 2: Of what happened to his face?
Speaker 6: I think you're about to find out?
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 5: I guess good.
Speaker 3: Why don't you share your story? Glson?
Speaker 5: But I've already told it?
Speaker 3: Why not tell it again?
Speaker 5: Well? I guess all of you or most of you know that I used to share an apartment with my sister Serenity. H right, yes, sir, I understand your frustration.
Speaker 2: Sir.
Speaker 5: Okay, So with our Gold Rewards program, you can get fifty gigabytes of I had been working this shit phone company job hardly with the pay, which wasn't much. Mom died, leaving us nothing but the bill for her funeral. So while Serenity waited tables at some awful dive bar downtown, I sat home and answered phones. Still we were struggling. I'm very good, sir. Thank you again for being a valued customer of Nexus Mobile. If you'd like to stand the line, there is a brief survey angry people taking out their frustration on a faceless victim. Every day was more of the same until hello, and thank you for calling Nexus Mobile. My name is Gelson, with whom do I have the pleasure of speaking.
Speaker 10: Go send Gausson. What a strange.
Speaker 5: Name, just the name my mother gave me a.
Speaker 10: Woman of rare taste. Well, Gilson, I'm calling with some fantastic news. You won the sweet Steak.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry you must have the wrong person. What sweepstakes?
Speaker 10: Well, there aren't too many Gelson's in this city. Are there? I guess you don't remember? Up you filled out a form online to renew your passport. There was an option to enter our sweet stake.
Speaker 5: I don't have a passport. I've never had a passport.
Speaker 10: Don't you wanna know what you've won?
Speaker 5: H sure?
Speaker 10: An all expense paid trip courtesy of Factor nearly a cruid line. This luxury open water voyage is the most extravagant excursion on the high seas. You and a guest will be treated to a palatial inner rule, lavish cuisine from the industry's premier chefs, and an invitation to a most illustrious ball given in our grand ball room. How does that sound?
Speaker 5: Wow? I er I, I don't know what to say.
Speaker 10: Splendid, You've just received our brochure. In the coming days, a package will arrive with everything you'll need to attend our special event. Just remember you are required to bring the content with you on.
Speaker 5: Things have been so bad for so long that this news really seemed too good to be true. More than anything, I was excited to tell my sister, all right, Gel, no more secrets.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Where are you taking me?
Speaker 5: Your favorite Michelle's. But how can we use a special occasion special? It's Thursday?
Speaker 9: What's special about cool?
Speaker 5: Blue Sea's the crisp sea air, the most divine food you've ever had? It's a dream come true?
Speaker 9: Look suternalia for premiers?
Speaker 5: What is this a cruise, Serenity, the cruise you always wanted? Brow That's sweet, But I don't know how we're going to afford Michelli's let alone a cruise. There's nothing to buy, sis, it's ours? What how I want a sweep? Steaks? And this isn't a scam, Serenity. I work for the phone company. I sell scams for a living. This is not a scam. You and me, Serenity, we're doing this.
Speaker 9: Where are the terms and conditions?
Speaker 5: Look? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, Okay, but I think it's a sign things are suddenly looking up for us, and I have a feeling they're only going to get better from here.
Speaker 9: Well, then let's do it.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Gil, I didn't mean to doubt you. Did you see the picture of the room. Look here, hey, wash the room.
Speaker 9: You can show me the scull.
Speaker 5: That car accident changed everything. Mom was gone and now Serenity was gone. I couldn't afford a funeral, only the cheapest urn. I didn't leave the house, stop calling into work, lost track of time altogether until hello, what's this? Congratulations? You are cordially invited to join us on Saturnalia Cruise Lines, the most extravagant adventure on the high seas. Find and closed a welcoming gift your mask. The mask wasn't really anything special, wood white paint made to cover the whole face, but I'll never forget the way it stared back at me with those bare, empty eyes. We look forward to your company on our premiere night set sail Cotillion ball and initiation ceremony. Remember you must bring the contents of this package with you to board the vessel. Don't forget your plus one. We were on the pier the next morning. Well, sis, we made.
Speaker 4: It, girlson, girlson, is that you we spoke on the telephone. You do remember, don't you? I tell you we are thrilled, just thrilled to have you join us tonight. You do have the contents of your welcome gift?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: And where is your guest? H hmm, Well it's a lovely and come along then, Welcome aboard the SS cronos. Only our most distinguished guests are ever allowed to embark. Consider yourself very lucky.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Thanks the lavish foyer, as you can see both our prize chandelier constructed by none other than Francois, an antecedent of the acclaimed Burleck Brothers, famous for their similarly splendid works in Versailles.
Speaker 9: Uh cool, wow, overrated.
Speaker 4: If you ask me, ah, miss Berkeley, I'd like you to meet our newest member, Gelson. You'll be initiated tonight.
Speaker 2: Gelson. That was my father's name.
Speaker 5: Really, it's not a very common.
Speaker 9: My father was from South Africa, worked in the diamond trade.
Speaker 2: It killed him though. Oh only met the man twice. But hey, I inherited all this money.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, but congrats on your inheritance.
Speaker 4: I guess I suppose Gelson Barclay had to be good for something.
Speaker 5: Hey, did something happen to your face?
Speaker 4: That's all a pleasure as always, Miss Barkley, come along, Gelson, croquet, bad mitten. We really have all the sports of the noble caliber. If only there were horses for polo.
Speaker 5: I'm more of a baseball.
Speaker 9: Where's my shuttle cock? And who might you be?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 4: Missus Albrett, This is Gelson, our newest member.
Speaker 9: Where are you from, Gelson?
Speaker 5: I live uptown, just past town.
Speaker 9: My husband once owned a building uptown. Hated going there, had to do inspections, make sure everything was safe and up to code. Who cares? I say, cockroaches, all of them. That place deserved to be demolished. Okay, I come here in the mornings to decompressed.
Speaker 5: Hey sorry, ma'am, but it looks like your makeup is coming off. I can see your cripes.
Speaker 9: Oh my powder always much as when I sweat. Look away away?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, sorry, John, isn't she one of our founding members.
Speaker 5: Never been so charmed in my life.
Speaker 4: This is, of course, our stately dining room, able to accommodate one thousand people. And oh, some of our guests are still enjoying breakfast.
Speaker 9: Why, mister and.
Speaker 4: Missus Beckett, what a pleasure to find you here this fine morning. How are the eggs Benedict?
Speaker 7: Exquisite?
Speaker 4: Indeed lovely? I'd like you to meet our newest member, Gelson.
Speaker 7: Hey, good day, Gelson. Say you appeared to be a man of fine tastes. Do you collect aunt?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: It depends. I just pre ordered this pretty cool prince of a batman, a.
Speaker 7: Fan of the Dutch Masters. Hey, well you'll be impressed to hear that I've recently acquired a previously unseen original oil painting by none other than Johannes Vermer. My men have dated it back to sixteen seventy three, just two years before his untimely demise.
Speaker 5: Right on, Hey, are you okay? You have some blood right there on your cheek.
Speaker 7: Blast It must have cut myself shaving this morning. Never quite got the hang of that, silly me.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll see you both at the ceremony tonight. Come now, Gelson, it's time we showed you to your quarters. This room has everything you should need, including an Alexandra Imosu Vanquish bespoke suit. What do you think?
Speaker 5: Wow, I've never had a suit that nice or ever. Actually, yes, we know.
Speaker 4: Be sure to wear it this evening and bring your mask.
Speaker 5: I've been meaning to ask, what's this party all about? Is it like some masquerade thing?
Speaker 4: It is not just some masquerade thing. It is our premiere night set, Sail, Cotillion Ball and Initiation Ceremony. You have been given the rare opportunity to become part of our elite society, chosen for your unique circumstances.
Speaker 5: Hmm, I didn't know I'd be joining a club.
Speaker 4: It is a distinct honor endowed upon an uncommonly select few. After tonight, you will never again feel the pains of loneliness, nor struggle with the trifles of money. You may finally bid farewell to all the hardships of your past life.
Speaker 5: Past life.
Speaker 4: Yes, Gilson, tonight you become a new person. Remember, wear the suit, bring the mask.
Speaker 5: I don't know how they got my size, but the suit fit per fitly, even the shoes. The only problem was that ship was huge. Couldn't find the damn ballroom. Shit, where is this place? Nope? Man, I'm so late that lady's gonna kill me. Maybe this one? Whoa this ain't it just a bunch of file cabinets, errands through christiansen by these passenger files? Abby Abbott, Abney Abrams. Geez, how many people are on this boat? Bacon, Bailey, Baker, Barber. Hey, there's that Barclay lady father deceased, large inheritance, released from psychiatric ward. Here's mister and missus Beckett arrested for grand larceny, imprisoned for theft of historical art. Albrecht attempted to collect payment from life insurance policy on her husband sentenced to life in prison for his murder. The heck's going on? Here? Is there?
Speaker 8: One?
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 5: Newest member, sister recently deceased, Other friends and family not found minimum wage work, Reclusive status.
Speaker 4: To be initiated, Gelson, Welcome, A toast everyone to our newest member.
Speaker 5: You're late, sorry, but I and you brought the urn. What's that?
Speaker 4: We've set sail now? The ceremony will begin in just a few minutes. Tell me you have your mask?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's here. Was I supposed to decorate it? Everyone else's is so fancy?
Speaker 4: I just get a drink, try to socialize. I'll be right back to get you. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 5: You're looking pale and seasick.
Speaker 2: Never been on a boat?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Hey, how long have you been out of the asylum?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 5: Nothing? Sorry? I just oh hey, sorry? Are you crying?
Speaker 9: You?
Speaker 5: You shouldn't be here?
Speaker 9: Why are you here? Leave now?
Speaker 5: Whoa look?
Speaker 7: Don't mind her, lad. These cotillions always make young women absurdly emotional.
Speaker 5: Right, So that fancy Dutch painting you were talking about, did you like steal it. Why that's absurd, young man. I'll have you know. I just read it in a file about you going to jail or something. Do you know about the file cabinets?
Speaker 7: Hey? I I but I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Hey, let go of me.
Speaker 7: Listen, boy, there's still time.
Speaker 5: Go go now?
Speaker 4: Is everything all right here?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, of course. I was just enlightening dear Gelson about the history of French Impressionism and its impact on remiting.
Speaker 4: I'm sure, Gelson, the ceremony is about to begin. Please approach the podium.
Speaker 5: Yeah sure. Let me describe a snack.
Speaker 9: Don't touch the shrimp if you're hoping not to.
Speaker 5: Wretch missus Albrecht here.
Speaker 9: Let me slice a piece of cake for you.
Speaker 5: Hey, listen, I know about your husband, what you did. How come you're not still in jail? How dare you whoa?
Speaker 9: Whoa?
Speaker 5: Are you gonna stab me?
Speaker 2: Shut up?
Speaker 9: You have no idea what's going on here? Take this knife? Put it in your pocket.
Speaker 5: Are you crazy?
Speaker 9: I'm tired. Don't get stuck here like me, boy, take it.
Speaker 4: Gelson. It's time. Dearest patrons of the s S Kronos, we are gathered here today once again as family. Each and every one of you has taken part in this ritual. Here you have shed your past lives full of poverty, crime, and hatred. Today another joins our dynasty. Welcome Gelson, Welcome girlson. Your life has been tragic, sad, poor and unfortunate.
Speaker 5: Hey, but fear not.
Speaker 4: This evening, we relieve you of your chains. You shall s admit your life to a greater power, a hungry power. Now is the time down the mask become one.
Speaker 5: Of us, shifting serenity to one side. I lifted the mask in my free hand. I looked into those deep dark eyes, and then suddenly it spoke, go sir.
Speaker 8: Let us be call war, let us share sasso.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 5: The only way I can explain it is I was seduced. Welcome girls, Huh what?
Speaker 4: You were chosen like everyone here because your life had no more meaning.
Speaker 5: Seriously, what the fuck you think?
Speaker 4: The stuck, no loved ones, no hope of a brighter future, abject poverty. You were a ripe fruit all But now your body shall nourish the spirit in the mask, an immortal soul, a true member of our group, with you as its vessel, until your body expires and we yet again must find a new human container. But rest knowing that you now serve a purpose today, your life has.
Speaker 9: Meaning that all of you don't make me.
Speaker 4: You can't kill us Kelson, certainly not with a knife. We have existed for centuries. We are immortal. Soon you will understand.
Speaker 5: The boat had set sail, but I could still see the pier. I had no choice but to jump, but I'd never make it without my arms free. I'm sorry, Surinity. As I sped away from the boat dock, I tried desperately to pull that damn mask off my face. Care can get every it wouldn't budge forever, get the fucking But I still had the knife in my coat pocket. Fine, here we go. I was completely blinded by blood, every sense distorted by pain and noise, but I had to get away through the rain faster and faster until I was arrested and convicted of the hicular man's life. At the hearing, my face was entirely wrapped in bandages. I tried to tell them about the masks that housed immortal souls and their secret club that stole people's bodies as vessels. But I must have sounded completely incoherent because the judge d me clinically insane. I don't know what happened to those people, or that boat or that god forsaken mask, and I don't care. I'm just happy to be free.
Speaker 2: But you're not free.
Speaker 5: Well, at least I'm safe.
Speaker 2: What gives you that impression?
Speaker 5: I'm sorry? Is this a cross examination? I didn't talk during her story?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean where it's sort I'm done.
Speaker 6: They say he had a psychotic break, killed four people driving in the rain, judgments that police never found the boat, that club, or any mask.
Speaker 3: Okay, Kelson, thank you for sharing. I look forward to the next time. Now, SIORI what me?
Speaker 2: But I already went.
Speaker 3: You're not done sharing?
Speaker 9: I am done sharing?
Speaker 2: Are I shared?
Speaker 3: But what happened in the necklace? Hey? Yeah, you never said what happened to me?
Speaker 2: Fine?
Speaker 5: Fuck?
Speaker 2: Okay, you really want to know? I picked it up off the ground, humiliated, and after school I went and threw it in the river. Immediately, I felt like an idiot because I spent a lot of money on it, like my whole allowance.
Speaker 3: You didn't go after it. Uh.
Speaker 2: It sank and the current was strong and I don't like water.
Speaker 3: But that's only half the story, isn't it. Well you said you were wearing the other half when you arrived was detained. Well why did you keep it?
Speaker 2: Because because it hurt. It hurt to be rejected, and I didn't want to forget it. It was like a token of pain, like a scar, a reminder that maybe some people are just meant to be a part.
Speaker 3: Oh well, we are at time. Thank you all for your candor. I hope you each found this a helpful stop on your personal paths through recovery. Now, what would be a great way to share our burn is if everyone could help stack chairs and move them into the closet.
Speaker 6: Stowing yours looks like therapy.
Speaker 8: Shut you up?
Speaker 2: Yeah good? What's that on my bed?
Speaker 5: Boise your debased?
Speaker 2: Please find your completed requisition request in response to a resident relations petition for personal belongings. I never filled out anything. The enclosed items were approved based on the following criteria. They checked the box for religious, ceremonial and or marital significance. Okay, my juicy fruit? Sweet? Is that religious? And oh holy shit? Is that my necklace? Wait? This isn't my necklace, this is the crescent.
Speaker 9: Huh oh Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thirteen Days of Halloween Penance Starry, Natalie Morales, Episode five Therapy written by Trevor Young, Alex Williams, and Matthew Riddle, featuring the voices of Wayne Bastrup, Tara Buck, Jeff Bowser, Anna Hammler, Rafael Corekil, Jay Jones, Wilbur Fitzgerald, Alex Bowling, Aaron ast Sandra Viadaries, Laura Shin, Miguel Perez, and Lauren Vogelbaum. Directed by Trevor Young. Executive producers Aaron Mankey, Noah Feinberg, Chris Dickie, Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams. Supervising producers Trevor Young and Josh Thain. Producers Jesse funk rima Ilkali, Noami Griffin, Chandler Mays and Cassby Bias. Script editing by Lauren Vogelbaum. Story consultants Ben Bohlan and Matthew Riddle. Casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA, Production coordinator Wayna Calderon, Production assistants Jenna Johnson and Winona Lowe. Theme music by Rose Aserti with vocals by Anna Humler, recorded at This Is Sounded. Design Studios in Burbank, California, Engineered by Ross Aerono, special thanks to Romelio Osorio, Nathan Rule, Glen Nishida, and Rob Mosca. Thirteen Days of Halloween was created by Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams and is a production of iHeart Podcasts, Blumhouse Television and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Maikey. Learn more about the show at Grimandmild dot com, slash thirteen Days and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Happy Halloween.