Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: You know, for the football championship, that should always do the expectations.
Speaker 3: All ain't man? Actually go ahead? Well, welcome back to the Richard Sherman Podcast.
Speaker 4: We got an incredible guest here are Darius Washington of the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You having a You're having a heck of a season since you've been inserted into the starting lineup. You play so fast, you're so aggressive. You got a great story. How you feeling, brother, man? I feel good?
Speaker 2: Man, ready to get this week Rowling, you know what I mean for their practice and everything like that big game coming up, But I definitely feel good.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I know your story and I know you know about you went undrafted, You went to a dark place. It's a very frustrating part, but you finally got your opportunity and every single one of your teammates speaks so highly of you. They said you had the best training camp every single year. You know, you've been banged up with injuries, and every time your numbers called, you've shown up in a big way. Tell me what's like, what's going through your mind throughout this process?
Speaker 2: Through all this process, man, just going out there and get to win, you know, what I mean, I haven't really thought about everything that happened beforehand, you know what I mean. I guess I reflect a little bit after the season and everything like that, but I ain't really thought about it right now. Man, just going out there and you know, shutting down the offense, Josh Allen and all those guys, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of my thought version right now.
Speaker 3: Bro, since week eleven. Obviously everybody's talked about that.
Speaker 4: Y'all been one, but you have been and I watched the tape and Bro, I tell you, and I hate to say this because I know players don't love to be compared to other players. Everybody's unique. You are Darius Washington and nobody else, but you look like Earl v Thomas the Third.
Speaker 3: And come on, man, I don't know if it's yeah. I mean, nah, that's good.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, like, like you said, your own player like that, and then they want to be something. I mean at the end of the day, like you know, they're gonna say you play like somebody. You know, I actually did look up the Earl, you know what I'm saying. When I was growing I think, like what a twenty fourteen around that time. I think I probably in high school or something, twenty thirteen and all that. You know, y'all was great legend do and everything like that. Come on, man, I was in high school. But definitely that's one of the players I definitely admired growing up, for sure.
Speaker 4: You know so definitely the way you you fly around, the angles you take, the way you're throwing your body in there.
Speaker 3: You know, you're not how much you we aint right now?
Speaker 1: Man, I'm probably like one eighty one right now, two something like that.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: We was at the game last week against Pittsburgh. They tied end, caught it in the flat. Boy, you shot your gun, triggered quick. It was like thirty two thirty three. It ended up being fourth and one. They gotta punk the ball, and I'm sitting there like, like y'all not understanding how fast and aggressive this man is playing like this. That was an incredible one on one one play. Bro.
Speaker 2: Definite, I gotta bring it, man, you know, like you said one eighty you know what I mean. So I gotta bring everyone ad me. You know what I'm saying, to stop those guys, those six six sixty five six four guys. You know what I mean, so I gotta bring it for sure. So every time I'm out there, that's what I'm thinking about. You know, like I ain't the fast, I ain't the biggest guy anything like that, but you know, the game gonna speak for itself definitely.
Speaker 1: Man, that's kind of how I like to play.
Speaker 3: It is shown, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's crazy because just you and Kyle Hamilton, it's just such a different But then in the defense, y'all both asked to do that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes they put you in the box. Sometimes they got your cover and receivers. Sometimes they got your covering tight ends. It's never like Zach or stinking like man, I got to ohe it's a tight end.
Speaker 3: I need.
Speaker 4: I need Kyle Hamilton to play. He's like, hey, whichever one you y'all drop down, whichever one is gonna get the job done. Tell me about him and the trust and belief that he's shown to you.
Speaker 2: I mean, just like like you said, like you know, ever since I stepped into that role, he's not like, well, AD can't do this or AD can't do that, you know what I mean. So I need Kyle to do this or Kyle to do that, you know, it's kind of just interchangeable, you know what I mean. So like kind of just like goes into like being head of the play you know what I mean. So like that's why I learned from Kyle, you know what I mean. So like him, every time I'm out there with him, he's calling out to play or anything like that. So like me ment to that role being alongside of him. That's why I try to incorporate my game, call them out to play, or like well if they do this, do that, I'm gonna do this or you're going to do that.
Speaker 1: So like that's kind of how Kyle helped me.
Speaker 2: And you know what I'm saying, Zach, having that trust in us, like we're going to get a job done.
Speaker 4: What goes into your your mentality in these playoffs? You know, this is your first playoff run, but is this your first playoff run? This is your first meaningful start to.
Speaker 1: Mean start definitely doing playoffs. Yeah, yeah, it's hurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So like did you feel like the speed was different or did you change something or you just said, hey, come on now, treat the same, the game the same, and I'm gonna go out there and just play play like I always do.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and so that was like for me, that's what my mentality like every game, like, don't make it bigger than what it is, you know what i mean. Say at end of the day, you know what I'm saying, Honey, yards, you gotta go out there and play football. Of course it means more now, but you don't add that pressure on them. That's for everybody else to add, you know what i mean. So like for me, just going out there, play my same game, you know what I'm saying, Communicate with the guys, and everything goes gonna take care of itself.
Speaker 3: No question, no question, y'all. Y'all have been balling, bro y'all been one of the best defenses in football.
Speaker 4: Talk about Hump because Humph playing the nickel spot that you were playing, and you know how hard it is to play in that space. He's been I mean, obviously had an All Pro season, but man, I didn't know he had it in it.
Speaker 2: Man, just show his versatility, you mean, like man Hunt, he bring the energy every time he's out there.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, He's gonna He's an ultimate competitor, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So you can put Hump anywhere you know what I'm saying, He want to play, he want to learn it, you know what I mean. So I definitely knew he had him and him like he had their physicality in him be in the box and everything like that.
Speaker 1: Up Like I said, he want to make plays, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So him being at that Niggas spoke, he could always be around the ball and everything like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hump the dude for sure.
Speaker 4: So you coming from Louisiana, Shreetport, and I think they they they went on and highlighted all these receivers that came from this one small area of Louisiana, and you grew up in that. You grew up definit these dudes you grew up playing. Do you think that has helped prepare you for this moment?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Absolutely, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like you know those guys, you know what I'm saying, Like he grew up playing against him in high school and everything, seven or seven, you know, playing them the same teams with them, you know what I mean. Just like the match up with the Meek and j Jackson, you know what I mean, Like they grew up playing against each other. So like if me ain't not that scared, you know what I mean, Like you know this guy, you know what I mean. So definitely definitely uh leans to our advantage, you know what I mean, Like we want to we dreaming things like this, Like we were playing jamorrow, you know what I'm saying. We talked in the off season. You know the matchup we've been waiting. We played them in a playoff game, you know what I mean. So you know, just things like that, definitely prepare us.
Speaker 3: That's that's crazy, man. I don't think I mean outside the d Jack.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's any receiver that I played when I was growing up that I that I played in the league. And y'all boys in Louisiana, it seemed like every guys.
Speaker 2: Everybody from the boot for real, real. But Na's definitely a blessing, you know what I mean. Playing against those guys for sure, going out there having fun and competing. Then you know, talk about it outterwards, you know what I mean, see those guys in the off season also.
Speaker 4: So I love that man. And so talk to me about your family, you know what I mean. Are they coming to games? Are they getting to see you play live?
Speaker 3: Or you know, what I mean.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yes, sir. So some games they're able to come up to, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But like like the Texas game and when we played in Dallas and everything, probably had about thirty people at the game, you know what I mean. Family, friends, cousins and mom, dad, you know, well my dad passed Bud, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So, but they all came up to the game for sure. But yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that. Man. It's great to see you, Sean. Man. I got a lot of respect for your game, and I loved watching you.
Speaker 4: Man. I love I love watching you now because you play so fast, you play so smart. It's clear that you're watching tape. It's clear that you understanding the concepts. It's clear that you died in it seemed like you and Kyle Hamilton's chemistry and y'all understanding of one another. It's fantastic. Walk me through that because he did a little interview just talking about you and your relationship and how how cool y'all are and how y'all play off each other and that on that field. Because when the bullets is flying, people don't know it. Get crazy, man, it's the time, man, man.
Speaker 2: K were talking about everything, bro, Like everything we see every time we come to the sideline. We're talking about you know, what you're getting on this side of what you're getting right here, or how you would have played this or how you feel about that. So even though like we're in the locker room, bro, like we're just talking about communicating, especially about ball, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Outside of that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: We talk about whatever, you know what I mean, But just getting to know each other more and stuff like that, especially filling into that role and everything, you know what I mean, So like having a relationship with him and everything like that, like we kind of we understand we co signed them and everything like that.
Speaker 5: For definitely NFL playoffs. We're talking NFL playoffs. You bet we are getting on the action at DraftKings sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL. Scoring touchdowns is key to winning in the playoffs, and the key to you scoring big is betting on them at DraftKings, the number one place to bet touchdowns. Ready to place your first bet betting on something simple like a player to score six, go to the DraftKings Sportsbook app and make your pick. Here's another reason to watch some of your favorite players crush it in the playoffs. New customers bet five bucks to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly score big during the NFL playoffs with DraftKings Sportsbook. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app today and.
Speaker 3: Use code Richard.
Speaker 5: That's code Richard for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings Sportsbook. The Crown is yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York, call eight seven seven eight h O p E n Y or text h O P E n Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help us available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven to seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort licensee partner Golden Nugget Lake Charles twenty one plus. Age varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario se sportsbook dot DraftKings dot com. Slash football terms for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 4: So y'all play. Y'all play Buffalo earlier in the season, but you didn't play in that game. Exactly what are you seeing from them now? That's different from the team that y'all played earlier in the season.
Speaker 1: Physicality, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So they running guys off the ball, you know what I mean, They pushing the powers and doing things like that. But you can definitely tell they're a completely different team from when we played them week four and today is now, you know what I mean. They bringing it, you know what I mean. They seem like they after got a point to prove. But so do we, you know what I mean. So, like you know, we know it's gonna be a different game with a different team also, you know what I mean. But definitely from that it's physicality and with those guys're gonna have to stick to your rules, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean.
Speaker 2: They got guys going all over the places, you know what I mean, So we definitely have to stick to our rules when playing against them.
Speaker 4: Now, how is the board from street Port, Louisiana gonna get ready for this eight degree weather? I mean, I know you've been in Baltimore long enough, but eight degrees. It's eight degrees.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get ready for it, you know what I mean. I'm gonna get ready for I'm gonna be out there were playing football, you know what I mean. So when I'm between those I ain't thinking about how cold it is. When I get to sideline, I'm like, okay, maybe a little cold out here. But when I'm out there on that field, I ain't thinking about no weather man. I'm thinking about making this play right now.
Speaker 4: When when we played, we played the coldest game I ever been in. I think it's like fourth cold, it's all time. We was playing Minnesota before they stadium got built, and it was negative six. And when I tell you, look, I ain't never really cared about the cold. Now, once you put on the plass, once you start playing, it's cool. But when I tell you I got out there and took a deep breath and it felt like my lungs was freezing, it's different. I tell you what I look like. I look like a total little little you know what I mean, Sissy. When I'm running to the sideline between every plate, getting on that heater, me a little bit.
Speaker 3: I can't. I'm trying.
Speaker 4: Boy, Hey, you got any questions for me? I know you ain't got a lot of time, so I don't want to hold you too long. You know, I'm blessed that you you even got on the pile with me. I know it's a busy time and crazy time for you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you for having me. Man, definitely a blessed like a guy like yourself, you know what I mean? And I do actually have a question so for you, just one question.
Speaker 1: You know what made y'all guy so great? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Y'all in that back end, you know what I mean, it was like I guess they was like three things that made y'all guys great, and that secondary.
Speaker 4: I guess, it's a lot of it's it's a bunch of guys with a lot of love and respect for one another. Obviously, it's us spending time off the field and getting to know each other, getting to know each other's families, and that just connects you in a different way. But then it's it's on the field just caring about one another, you know what I mean. It's studying together, it's having a standard for the room, you know, what I mean. I'm sure y'all got a standard in y'all room. It looks like it. You know, y'all play up to it, and you got a standard of play that everybody holds each other too, not just not just the starters. So it's not just cam Earle, myself, Brandon Browner, Byron Maxwell, it's the practice squad guy, same standard. So and then it's a different level of accountability because it's not like it's not like a hierarchy. It's not like, hey man, this practice squad guy can't say nothing to me because I'm a three time All pro. If he got something to teach me, if he got something to tell me and say, hey, hey bro, I think you could do this a little better, kind of you kind of was this. I think if you changed your footwork like that, then I'm gonna take it in and I'm gonna absorb it and I'm gonna try to make myself better. And I think that helped us get better and helped us improve because everybody mattered. Everybody was important. Everybody felt like, hey man, these dudes respect me, and we did like if some dude said, hey, can you help me after practice, and he might he might have just got picked up yesterday and about to get cut tomorrow. Then I'm gonna stay out there for two hours and help him with his tech, you know what I mean. And I think on top of that, we practiced our We practiced harder shit like we practiced harder shit. Everybody got to touch the ball. The effort is there. We full speed, don't matter if it's walk through. We practice walkthroughs like full speed. So he wouldn't let the ones go with the ones no more because we ain't let y'all catch the ball. I don't give damn if y'all won the one offense. If y don't want to catch the ball, take us off the field right like, we're not playing none of that shit. And I think we kept the standard the standard at all times, so it didn't matter walk through practice, preseason game, pro bowl game, like, we play it hard and we're hitting shit. So if you if you don't want that, they put us on the sideline coach, because that's what you're gonna get from us. And I think when you have all those things, when you get in the crazy moments and adversity hits and and shit ain't going your right way, and it's the playoff game. You never look at each other and you're like, it's like, man, it's your fucking fault us Like, oh man, it's on you, like you ain't doing your job.
Speaker 3: It's always love.
Speaker 4: I might as well be out there with my brother and be like, hey, I know, hey, we in this together. We know we could get this done. And you know I'm doing my fucking best and I know you're doing your best.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. I appreciate it. I appreciate it. Definitely appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all love, brother.
Speaker 4: Hey, good luck this weekend, Keep balling out, keep doing your thing.
Speaker 3: I hope everything goes your way.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to see your player performance because your player performance moment.
Speaker 2: Hey, I try to think about yeah, yeah, you know what I'm saying. So we got a mission with already now, and that's.
Speaker 1: What we're trying to get to. But I was thinking about it later.
Speaker 4: But y yeah, it's gonna be. Everything's gonna work out like it's supposed to. Definitely, definitely all love, brother, You have a beautiful day. If you got anything else for me, I'm happy to go. If you got a little bit more time, I'm happy to keep going, but they told me you have fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: I gotta get rid of Ford's twelve thirty.
Speaker 4: You know we yeah, say yeah, it's sir, yes, sir all love brother, good luck this week.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you. It' here the volume