Speaker 1: Joining us now on bench. Banter is infielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Jared Triolo, Jared, Welcome to the show Man.
Speaker 2: How's it going?
Speaker 3: Good? Good?
Speaker 1: How's it been so far this season? Obviously we'll get into the series a little bit. But new clubhouse, new manager. You've been with the team for three years now, Different vibes with different guys around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: You know, I think, you know, DK being here from the start was good for us, and we came out and we won a lot of games early, So I think that's, you know, helping the vibes.
Speaker 1: How important is it to have the type of guys that you have in the clubhouse obviously, Oharan Law being that veteran presence mixed with the guys that have been here before in order to keep that type of winning culture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's what we needed, you know, guys who could just step right in and fit in with with the group that we had here and that. Yeah, and they came in and contributed right from the get go.
Speaker 1: So is there anything different that you've seen with Donnie? Obviously you had him as a bench coach. Now he's the skipper. Is there a different vibe with him on a day to day basis, you see him handling things differently or is he kind of the same guy day in and day out.
Speaker 4: He's pretty much the same guy. You know, he'll still make his jokes and kind of be loose and hang out during VP and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: So I'd say, the same guy.
Speaker 1: How important is it to have that positive presence or guy that maintains that type of consistency because it's a long season, man, and there's a lot of games that happen, a lot of things that happen, a lot of injuries, and people can be very reactionary on a day to day basis, like a seasons done, seasons back on, and then you know, things change from serious to series.
Speaker 3: How important?
Speaker 1: How important is it for're a manager to have that type of consistency and then how do you guys handle that in the clubhouse in terms of just like the ups and downs of the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's exactly right. That's kind of what you're looking for and a manager, you know, someone to look to it as the leader of the team, I guess, and just kind of be that consistent, you know, throughout the whole year. So it's definitely important, and it definitely you know, play apart and some of the guys in the clubhouse, So I mean, when you can get that consistency, it's it's definitely beneficial.
Speaker 1: How have you guys been handling the injuries as of late? Obviously Spence is coming back, but O'Neill, O'Connor, now Rhino goes down for.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 1: How tough is it to deal with that in the grind of a major league season and then trying to bounce back the next day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's tough obviously, right know, yesterday is a big shot. But I mean that's kind of what comes with with the major league season. One hundred and sixty two games, So obviously you never wanted to happen. But I think, you know, we have the guys to step in and you know, fill some shoes and keep us going in the right direction.
Speaker 1: We talked to Gonzo a couple of years ago now, and one thing that he said he admired about your game and I know you guys are close, but your preparation on a day to day basis and just staying within yourself no matter what's going on. How much pride do you take in your preparation going through the field, and do you have certain routines that you don't straight from. Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, routines are definitely you know what keep you consistent throughout the year. And I think for the most part of the same exact thing every single day. So it's a little monotonous, but I think you know, you kind of just need some solidarity and something like that to, you know, help in one hundred and six to two games.
Speaker 1: Does that change being the player that you are, knowing one day you might be a third short second, you might be playing some outfield.
Speaker 3: Does that preparation change?
Speaker 1: It all based on where you're at in the lineup or where you're playing in the field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, hitting changes, you know a little bit here day to day, but I mean for the most part, it's the same. And then defensively, you know, infield is pretty much the same. If I get word that I could be in the outfield soon, you know, I'll go out and shag during VP and you know, get reps out there. But I mean it's it's mostly the same for the most part.
Speaker 3: Has that been different playing a little bit?
Speaker 1: I mean you got some time in center field, so I mean, are you coming for Jake's job or what's going on there.
Speaker 3: How do you feel out there? That's a big jump.
Speaker 1: People don't realize roaming all that land out there could be a little bit different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first time in centerfield Yankee Stadium was pretty sick. I think I was only out there for three out Yeah, but no, I mean I didn't get much action, but I felt decently comfortable.
Speaker 3: Playing the corners too.
Speaker 1: Something that you're comfortable with, or even in the off season that you think about, like, hey, I could be deployed in any type of scenario.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just being ready for any situation that comes up. It's usually late game, so games usually on the line, are close, and yeah, just being ready for those moments.
Speaker 1: What about the consistency at the play We've seen in the past couple of years make adjustments later on in the season and see that consistent heart contact or getting on base, and this year seems like you found that a little bit earlier. What has helped you find that consistency at the plate? And you know, how do you deal with maybe sometimes where you're not feeling it or you need to make an adjustment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's it's just kind of you know, daily prep work and how you go about the day before. And obviously I think selfishly, I, you know, want to hit some more homers and drive the ball of the park. But I think, you know, the role in the team is kind of just to get on base and set the table for you know, all the big boppers we got on this team. So that's kind of been the mindset.
Speaker 1: Has your hand placement always been like right above your head in that spot because it seems like from here you're not getting like an extensive load.
Speaker 3: It gets like from the top of the head almost into.
Speaker 1: The slot ready to hit right away. Is that kind of the mindset? It's like, all right, let's get this bat into the hitting zone as soon as we possibly can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a little bit of thinking.
Speaker 4: I've tried, you know, a whole bunch of different starting points for my hands, and they feel most comfortable off top, and I feel like I can get the barrel to where I want it to be when I started there.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of what I've been rocking with.
Speaker 1: Is it more so like you're I mean, you're a bigger guy, like longer levers. Is that keep it a little bit more consistent than for you.
Speaker 4: It could be that, Yeah, I don't know. I just I feel comfortable with them up there. I think I've done it through the minor leagues and you know, tweaked a little bit here and there, but just wherever I can get the barrel of the ball most often is kind of where I want to leave them.
Speaker 1: Second year with Haig as the hitting coach, have you guys gotten on the same page of like terminology and how like your verbiage is on a day to day basis, Because when we had him on the show, he's saying like, hey, maybe getting the leg up for O'Hearn is not the same as getting the leg up for Spence, right, So you have to find different ways to talk to guys in order to understand their hitting language. Do you think that you guys have gotten on the same page in terms of, hey, this is how I like to be spoken to or how I want to make adjustments and how I understand hitting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: I think last year he scared some guys with some bourbons who's using so this the spring, you know, he was asking everybody how how they like to be talked to, and you know it was kind of like a girlfriend relationship, But he was like, how do you communicate with this sort of stuff and what do you what do you want to hear from me? And you know, I told him I liked and you know he's been good so far this year.
Speaker 1: How are those hitting meetings going into each game? Like, what's the game prep? Obviously you're looking at what the starting pitch areas, what the arsenal is, but what's really the deep dive in terms of prep when you're going to approaching your at bats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just seeing what guys throw and where they like to throw it, what counts and you know what, what kind of action the pitches have and just taking that all into account and then you know, digesting a plan out of that.
Speaker 3: So, how do you guys feel as a team right now?
Speaker 1: Obviously going through a little bit of a rough stretch here after the All Star Break.
Speaker 3: Got off to a hot start.
Speaker 1: In Cleveland, but hit a little bit of a lull. How do you guys fight through this in order to get back on track.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we're just stick together and you know trust that, you know, we've got the guys step up and when the moment comes, somebody somebody runs with it and then we ride that momentum.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the plan.
Speaker 3: Walk up song this year you went back to some Drake.
Speaker 1: You have some of my favorite walk up songs in the team because you're more on like my style.
Speaker 3: Hip hop rap music.
Speaker 1: Do you want to see that change a little bit? I feel like we need some more consistency one through nine.
Speaker 3: I'm not feeling the country music. Man.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, but are are you a big Drake fan? And then if so, like, how do you go about choosing the walk up songs?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I like country music. I could never do it as a walker up song, So I'm with you on that one. But I'd always been Travis Scott. Yeah, minor League's coming up, but that was kind of my thing. And then try it out, you know Shebang this year and Jimmy World last year the year before. So I'm kind of all over the place with Drake. That's kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 1: Start a process we go through, like we bumping it in the headphones or in the car to make sure that it's gonna sound good over those speakers, or it's more just like a vibe vive check for you.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's months in advance, thinking about it at all all hours of the night, because I mean it's important, you know, lighten up to play.
Speaker 2: You gotta you gotta feel something.
Speaker 1: So going back, let's talk a little bit about just being in Pittsburg.
Speaker 3: You've been in the city for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Any favorite spots around town, whether it's like a coffee or a restaurant that you like to go visit, keep yourself kind of even keeled throughout the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a big strip guy, so the strip disher, the noise is good, Pamelas for breakfast, what else, Ben Kelly was a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Good spot if you can get in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much anywhere in the strip though, I mean, is that's a good restaurant.
Speaker 3: Coffee spots, coffee.
Speaker 2: Not a huge coffee. You got it?
Speaker 3: Okay, gotcha? Gotch.
Speaker 1: You what about anything that you want to see from this team or that you expect from yourself, or goals that you set moving forward for the rest.
Speaker 2: Of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we need to start winning games, and we need to start today. So that's that's kind of the goal.
Speaker 3: I love that, man. Well appreciate you joining the show. Best of luck tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 3: At the parents came, they let me run the base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't.
Speaker 3: Afford to waste. Uh. Wifey is a lawyer. Take my date to my dates or the stick by the blazing it