Speaker 1: And welcome in. And during that episode of Tiger Territory, partly the Foul Territory Detroit Tiger's Podcast, I'm Kieruscley with me as always as a man who makes the road less traveled a little bit more traveled. He is Cody Stavenhagen.
Speaker 2: How we doing doing good? Doing good? I tell people travel is the best and worst part of this job. But you know what's going on right now, Kieran. The Tigers just keep winning. I'm telling you, it's getting interesting. They've won seven of eight. Playoff odds are up to thirty three percent. Somewhere Scott Harris is sitting there and just being like I told you.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of I told you is that given the nature of the game, he might want to take advantage of before things potentially go go horribly wrong as we've seen like either way, man, it can happen in the snap. And that's what we're seeing recording this Thursday morning. It will be published right a little bit, a little bit before noon. I am traveling all day today, so I wanted to get this in before Thursday night's game, and and you know, with all the topics going on, I just didn't really feel like waiting around to talk about him, and one of them is Dylan Dingler. So we'll probably get more clarity later today, but we do kind of want to address it right now. Dylan Dingler takes a foul ball off his throwing hand, off a check swing knob of foul ball, if memory serves, and stayed in the game, got looked at pretty well, stayed in the game, and then event you know, to finish the ending, and then eventually gets pulled for Jake Rogers, who it's a home run. So again, all the fun stories around this team continue with the Jake Rodgers piece there, but with Dylan Dingler X raiser negative. More tests probably literally happen right now as we're recording this. Uh, I didn't get a panicked impression watching a J. Hinch's presser and him kind of explaining it. But and you know, again, the initial X rays were negative. That obviously is a good thing. But so we don't necessarily have to speculate about the injury, you know, before we know anything. But the larger question is Cody. The Tigers have been pretty stable at catcher for the better part of two years now, and at credit to those guys for for the most part, being healthy. Thomas Nito last year when Jake Rogers had the oblique, What would be the plan now if either one of them happened to get hurt, Because they have a couple of catchers on the forty man, but they're more on the forty man for protection reasons than immediate call of reasons. I thought, so, what do you think would kind of be the plan?
Speaker 2: You know, it would actually be pretty interesting to see, I guess. I hope we don't have to see it. But there are two options to Amasnito kind of the stable, sturdy veteran. You know what you're getting, the defense is going to be pretty good. Or Edwardo Valencia, you know, a guy who for a little bit was a little bit of a darling in training. He has an eight thirty nine ops in Toledo. Back when it seemed to the Tigers were going to sell everything off and have to punt this season, I was kind of interested, like, are they, you know, are they going to give Valencia a shot? You know what would that mean for Jake Rogers if they just want to see Valencia play. I don't think the defense is good, but the bat is pretty real. I say that in the context of I still know exactly what that looks like in the major leagues. But this guy can hit the ball really hard. He can catch up to velocity. He's not quite matched what he did in the miners last year when he had a nine to forty one ops twenty four homers, except well, the homer total might end up even higher. He has sixteen bombs right now in Triple A Toledo. He's an interesting right handed bat who is probably going to be in this organization in some fashion for a few more years to come. I don't really know who they would pick, and some of it might depend where they're at, given the role they're on right now. I wonder if it would make more sense to just bring up Needo, because you know what you get. You know, he can manage the pitching staff, the defense, all that. It seems a little safer. But if they were to fall completely out of it, I think there's a stronger case to just let Valencia play. So I don't know, and I hope I don't have to find out anytime. Sooning stuff. The Tigers lose Dylan Dingler, that would be quite the blow.
Speaker 1: Obviously, obviously. And yeah, and I would say in regards to the needle piece of this, the starting pitching, you know Melton nine kgs yesterday. The starting pitching is so much a part of what we're experiencing with this twenty and twelve record since June first, that you every corner sort of move really has to kind of be made with that in mind to be able to maximize the starting pitching. I had no idea of Valencia of what his capabilities are with that, no I So I'm not saying he can't do it, but we do have proof of concept with Tomas, so that tends to be even if it's safer, one could argue would be the more astute thing to do as well. And shout out Jake coming off the bench obviously not expecting to ever come off the bench in the second inning when you're when you're backing up, Dylan Dingler come off the bench hit a bomb, just to you know, and also he scores a run with the torque bomb too. Just just a guy that you just can't help but smile when you see him have success. So, like you know, there's there there's a lot that people, some that can say about Jake Rogers and what is like, you know, his hitting ceiling is whatever. There's a lot that makes me think I just want Jake Rogers on my baseball team as long as possible. You know, there will be an endpoint to this, but as long as possible. I like watching Jake Rodgers play baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in another world where we had nothing else to talk about and things were boring, we could spend ten minutes talking about Jake Rogers. A Jake kind of wax poetic about Jake last night. He's he still remains a glue guy for this team. That is all very real, and he's done a pretty admirable job of handling a significant role change, a significant decline and playing time over the past let's say calendar year. Unfortunately, we have like a million other things going on. So Jake, we'll get to you a little more next time. How's that.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we talked a little bit a couple episodes ago about the Tigers not having a pitching All Star pitcher All Star you know this year, and well, lo and behold, major League Baseball said we can't have that, and they selected Justin Verlander to be the commissioner's pick. And it coincided with them. It was with him like fifteen to twenty minutes Justin Verlander announcing that he will retire at the end of the season. So those things are certain. Justin Verlander is an honorary All Star. Justin Verlander will retire at the end of the season. What everything else is kind of up in the air. Is that Is that a good way to summarize that?
Speaker 2: Well, like, yeah, to be clear, Justin Verlander is retiring. He is not retiring today. He is still pretty adminant that he is going to come back and pitch. My day yesterday was just a train wreck. I was like out for a run before heading to the ballpark. I get home, I'm all sweaty. It's like, Justin's going to the All Star Game. It's like, well, okay, he's hurt, but cool, Yeah, I can start trying to write something up. Oh, by the way, Justin Verlander is retiring. So it turns out these announcements were more or less coordinated, although it's still kind of funny how it came out. Rob Manfred had known this for a while. Justin wanted kind of the announcement that he's retiring at season's end. To coincide with the All Star Legend pick announcement, basically because he didn't want to go into the All Star Game where there is a crazy media presence and have to be asked a million times are you retiring or are you not? Or do you know what's going on? It was interesting both Justin's statement that he put out on social media was clearly really good, really heartfelt, and then to hear him talk. Obviously it's been a tough year for him, but he was able to talk about all this with a pretty high degree of clarity. He said, you know, it's the right conclusion. He's at peace with it. He's been trending this direction for quite some time, talking about things out in the open that he never really would have even shared with himself before, in terms of just kind of uttering the word retirement and maybe it's time to be done and his body is fighting him. But all that said, there wasn't too much reminiscing. There wasn't too much you know. I asked him, like, what do you want your life after baseball to look like? And he kind of said, I'm not ready to talk about that because he's still pretty adamant he's going to pitch this year. There might be people out there rolling their eyes at that, and I don't know that I blame you, but like I'm just telling you what Justin Verlander is saying. He thinks he can make it back. That might just be the competitor in him. That might be the mindset that got him great, made him such a great pitcher, now has him kind of holding on a little bit stubbornly at the end. But he's gonna throw a bullpen session today Thursday. Maybe that'll provide some better clarity as to where he's at with this most recent injury, the hamstring strain. I don't know what it looks like when he comes back. I think let's imagine the Tigers keep rolling and keep winning and their rotation stays healthy and every game matters. When and how are you even mixing him in? That could get weird if you fall totally out of it. It could be very easy to give him a ceremonial start and sell a bunch of tickets and everyone feels happy for a day. So I don't know exactly what this is going to look like, But if Justin Verlner has his way, kind of his last conquest in Major League Baseball. I think is going to be making it back to the mound and pitching at Camerica Park at least one last time. If we're up to Justin Verlander, he'd like to come back and be a serious contributor to this team down the stretch. All that of course saw us to play.
Speaker 1: Out serious contributor to a serious competitor. Chalk him among the guys that is sort of saying like, hey, like we understand how we got here, but we're playing good baseball and like they're not in cell mode. And I actually kind of appreciate him, And I think school Boll has been on the record of saying this, like just being like, yeah, like we're trying to win. We're trying to encourage the front office to buy at the trade deadline, which is kind of impressive given just where we were and all the things that we were talking about not too long ago. So like you say, like, if they're out of it'd be easy to give him an honorary start, and that's obviously true. But I think Justin Berlander and the competitor in him and sort of like how we envisioned this storybook ending wants to pitch meaningful baseball for a meaningful baseball team. So obviously a lot to be determined between now and then. On both sides of that, it did seem like that is still very much his intention despite everything that's gone on so far. All Right, we are going to take a quick break and then afterward do a little MLB Draft talk as this weekend the MLB Draft is happening, and will the Tigers stick to their model that more after this break book.
Speaker 3: In summertime, it's cool in the morning, hot during the day, cool again at night. Rarely am I sitting there going, Oh, I'm just gonna do one thing at a time. I'm bouncing from work, I'm bouncing in the yard, I'm running to a game. Fabletics has got me with price, comfort and versatility with all the gear that I'm getting from them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're talking about premium activewear you'd expect from higher end brands, but without the price tag. Lightweight, breathable, comfortable, built to actually last. And if you're going to Fabletics, you should be joining as a VIP, which completely changes the game. You can shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP, take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so don't wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash Foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 1: All right, coming back here. As I said earlier, MLB Draft is this weekend. They split it up over the course of two days, so Saturday and Sunday the Tigers will make their newest selections to add to the organization. And so I wanted to kind of start out by going backward a little bit, Cody and just kind of give some names that have our noteworthy under the really short in terms of draft Scott Harris regime, and of course Kevin McGonagall that's a headliner. Kevin mcgonagal was the second pick of the Harris regime after Max Clark, who we'll get into that in a second. Feels like somebody who has at least kind of lived up to the prospect hype, if at least we just don't know what kind of Major League Baseball player he will be because he has yet to reach the majors. Jim Jarvis, old friend Jim Jarvis, who was a part of the Rafael Montero trade. He was a leven round pick. He's made the major leagues. He's got like twenty at bats for Atlanta. So you know, eleven round pick made the biggest. Couple of years later, thought that was of note. And then you have got a couple of guys that feel promising to some scouts and some prospect analyst Max Anderson, John Beck, Brent Callahan. We might see some of those guys this year, you know, depending on how things shake up. And then, of course, kind of appropriately we're talking about this now in twenty twenty three, Rice Rayner, who just came off a five for five hit day, looking like a guy who could end up being at or near the top of a lot of prospect rankings. Obviously I don't have a scouting report on him, but my feed is flooded with things that Bryce Rayner is doing quite impressive. He'll he'll probably climb up the system. And then you know, last year, Jordan Jost, first round pick, he had a had a home run in a spring training game. First pitch. I believe in the spring that they faced in a spring training game hit a home run. So that was a nice little story. These are everybody knows the theme here. The Harris regime loves up the middle athletes that bat left handed, and so so I have a I have like a quick thought here, Cody, is this Are they gonna have to Are they gonna double down on this strategy this year? Especially the prep piece of this, because it is of no, we didn't talk about this. The you know, major League Baseball as part of their collective bargaining, you know, putting putting out information about the things that they're you know, talking to the players about, has included no more high school players ineligible for the draft. So it stands to reason this could be the last prep draft, and this is the last prep draft. This is the last opportunity you're gonna have to get these kind of guys at eighteen, seventeen years old, nineteen years old in some cases and kind of mold them their entire base, you know, professional adult baseball career. So do you think that is something that is of a factor as the Tigers approached this draft.
Speaker 2: You're saying the end of preps being eligible for the MLB Draft. Yeah, I doubt that would impact their decision making on a pick this year. I still think they're going to take the player they like the most and they think fits their organization the most. I don't think they would reconfigure their draft board just to say, hey, let's get a high schooler one more time. I also think the idea of prep players like it. Good good luck getting the union to agree to that. So there's still much to be determined. No, I don't think that'll be a actor at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, because again that's that's been the conversation at the top of the draft and obviously throughout for a lot of Scott Harrison, most notably is taking Max Clark over Wyatt Langford, who I will remind people Whyite Langford has eleven point seven career war right now. He was a four point two guy as a rookie five point five last year. It's been hurt this year it's a one point seven, but nobody's worried about Wyatt Langford having staying power in the major leagues. And I think you and I were both on record as really liking that as a Tiger selection at that time. And then the Max Clark piece happens, and we and you kind of start to understand the philosophy of the Harris regime. Is it as simple as Max Clark, through no fault of his own, is going to have to live up to the building of a wyat Langford and Kevin McGonagall.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that really helps that you got Kevin McGonagall. And look, you know, the narrative is that they got McGonagall because they were under able to go under slot on Max Clark, and that is that is what they did. Is there a world where they could have got Langford paid McGonagall. In that world, you probably don't draft Max Anderson. You have to go underslot. You know, way throughout the rest of the draft. It's a little tighter. Could have been possible. I don't know, maybe, but this whole thing looks a little better because at least you have Kevin McGonagall, and at least it looks like he's kind of a superstar. The bar for mac Clark, obviously is really high, especially given the player why at Langford has become. We've talked about Max a lot, and again it is a little tough to note, you know, is he Corbyn Carroll was his closest comp and is he going to reach that ceiling? Like I don't know? Is Max Clark is still really young. His minor league numbers is a similar age, not quite what Corbyn Carroll was doing. Okay, he's not Corbyn Carroll, who's one of the best players in the majors. Maybe that's okay. Can you be an everyday center fielder? Can he be dynamic? Can he hit for power? Like we'll see? That's all to say, Like all this time we spend on Max Clark, his development is still going really well. He's still a top ten prospect in the game. So yes, he is in the shadow of Why at Langford and to some degree Kevin McGonagall now, And but that doesn't necessarily mean that any of this is going poorly. And we still don't even really know if it was the right or wrong decision, although obviously why it would look quite nice on this ball clock right now.
Speaker 1: That's true. And with that in mind, I just wanted to kind of lay out some names that I think have some degree of of Tiger's DNA in them, like that that that the regime would look for probably the most popular un connected to them would be Trevor Condon. He's an outfielder from Georgia. Guess what. He bats left handed and people think he has a you know, he has a smart played approach and can stick in center field, although obviously, you know, being that young in that body type, sometimes you don't know for sure. Cole Prosek, it's a catcher. Some think he's going to be a third basement but again bat's left handed, and uh and and somebody who has a advanced plate approach. Aj Garcia is one if you want to go to college route. He's an outfielder from Virginia. He who has just baller numbers in college. So if they break the mold, aj Garcia just kind of feels like somebody that would that they could do it for. And then one that I am intrigued by because I think these are there are a lot of boxes here that the Tigers will like. Is Rocko Maniscalco. That's a hell of a name, right Alabama shortstop prep guy, seventeen years old. He reclassified Cody. He's a switch hitter. He's already six two, one two. He grades out grades overall fifty on MLB pipeline, and he has an advanced approach for his age is what the Sky report is. So you throw in seventeen years old switch hitter, play shortstop to play it approach at the plate. That feels like a lot of upside that Scott Harris would like. So those are just some names that obviously Tiger's Mileague Report guys like that go really in depth on this. I don't want to proclaim to have as much small knowledge as then, but those are some names that I thought make a lot of sense for the Tigers.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, a couple of things real quick here. Kieran like like Ethan bass right handed shortstop, not left handed shortstop. Right handed shortstop is kind of the name getting I think the most attraction on line among some people who know the draft world. I think that would be really interesting, good defender. He's kind of getting the name that's getting the most smoke right now, And I don't know what that means. I haven't heard that from anyone who is inside the Tigers draft room, and I'm at a place with this organization where if I don't hear it from someone who is in the room, I don't know. Especially at the draft. Remember when they took Max Clark, and all we had heard leading up to that draft, and I wrote it was that they wanted a college hitter. Well that was BS. And then last year they took Jordan Jost, and I'm not sure i'd ever heard Jordan Yost's name before. I didn't know who he was. So even though there's some stuff kind of leaking out, I'm just skeptical with this organization. I've seen some mentions of Brody Boumila, a hard throwing, left handed prep pitcher. I love the idea of them taking a high upside pitcher with this pick, but I'd kind of be stunned if Scott Harris were to use a first round selection when a high school pitcher. That would seem to really go against most kind of conventional draft models. So that's all to say, let's wait and see who they take. I think it's going to be fascinating, and there are a million names kind of still flying around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot harder to do this exercise when you're picking that in the twenties as opposed to.
Speaker 2: Like, that's part of it. Some of it depends on what happens in front of him, although they'll probably take someone else that no one else wants because they think they are smarter.
Speaker 1: Almost certainly will be the case in some regard. There. All right, we are going to take a quick break, and then afterward we're going to answer some of your questions in a trade deadline mailbag. But first, a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary in bonus issue, does non withdrawable profit boost tokens restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: All right, coming back here, I want to thank everybody who submitted a question. We'll try to get through as many as many as we can here as we go through, go through the last ten minutes or so of this episode. What we want to start out with? Cody?
Speaker 2: What we got, We'll go in the order I have him. How about that?
Speaker 1: Let's go get all right? This is k Love seven seven or seven one one? Excuse me? Do you see Carpenter or Keith ever as two seventy five hitters. Why can't they discipline themselves to stop chasing pitches out of the zone. Seems like they could be Boreline All Stars if they could get that Undertrol. I appreciate you looping these guys in together, but in my mind I look at this part as separate. I don't see carry Carpenter evolving beyond much of what we have right now in him, which is the power upside, which is somebody that you have to game plan for. I do feel like Colt Keith, we still don't one hundred percent know what exactly his like baseline hitter profile is, so I would And obviously he's way younger too, by you know, by player standards, So I think cold Keith could develop that if if he focused on it right. Kerry Carpenter, I kind of feel like is Carry Carpenter and you know, with some variants there, So what do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, two very different hitters. And to be fair, Colt Keith ricks in the eighty fifth percentile and chase rate we talked last episode, Like, his at back quality is generally pretty good. It's the contact quality you would like to be improved. Why can't they stop chasing? Why can't let's say, Carry Carpenter specifically stop chasing. I don't know, man, because it's really hard. This guy's also I talked to about it a while back. He's seeing more breaking stuff than ever people know he's chasing. So guess what he's getting more of more spin. They're trying to get him to chase. Obviously, the way to combat that is to stop swinging at those pitches, but especially a hitter like him who's really trying to time up that fastball who's a huge power threat. It's easier said than done to just lay off. Obviously, life would be better if Cary Carpenter would not chase as much. But I don't know that there's a two seventy five hitter in his profile. I think he's probably always going to be a little slightly lower. I mean he's hit for average before, but let's say lower OBP high power ceiling. I mean, obviously legit, legit power from the left side. Cole Keith, You're right, I would like to think this guy could hit two seventy five in the big leagues, but that's kind of what we're waiting. I mean, he hit two sixty as a rookie, so this year. Contact hitting ability is in there, and he's actually not all that far off if you look at what he's done in his career to date. I think the question for me is still like how much power can he unlock? I also think the power is in there. Yeah, What I like most is that the at back quality is there. Sometimes he does pull the ball, but can you pull the ball in the air? Even though it's like overall pull air rate is good, can can you drive the ball with authority more often that's what we're waiting to see, and that's the big question. But I certainly think it is doable for cool Keith.
Speaker 1: All right, what we got next? All right, this is from Ben Renders. Why do the Tigers never play McGonagall at second base? He played there a little bit of the miners and never played third in the miners. Now he plays third, but never second. Seems like second might actually be the best fit for him long term. Uh, I agree, I do believe that second base is the best fit for him long term. But like you know, coming into this year, Yeah, Glabor, you know what I mean, and you have like you know what we see with Lee mcinstry can play anywhere. You can put more people at second base than you can't source stop, and that's why he's largely been a shortstop. I do believe he is a placeholders too strong, too strong of a word, like I do be like eventually he will be at second base when there is a more high upside shortstop option available, But for now, just be thankful that his profile includes the fact that he can play shortstop, because that was not a given coming into this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mostly agree with the premise of this question. I think when Kevin McGonagall is thirty two years old, he's probably going to be playing second base, so long as he's healthy and still moving around well. For some reason, people don't believe me when I say the arm is still like a little bit of a weakness, just because they like see him make a cool throw across the diamond. Kevin ranks in the bottom twenty seventh percentile in arm strength. His average throw was only eighty miles an hour. It's a little bit of a light arm for the left side of the infield. Clearly he's able to make it work and has been a plus defender at third and a really dang good defender at shortstop. I think there was a world at one point where Kevin mcgonag was most likely to be playing second base for the Tigers next season, which does raise the question why didn't they do it this year. We've already seen early in the season a configuration where Hovey was at second and Kevin was playing short, and you would think that would be flip flopped, but that was kind of the philosophy they devised to help Kevin break into the major leagues to really not have to be covering three different positions to not have to be dealing with the difference in angles, you know, from differing sides of the infield. I think they would rather just make that transition in the offseason. But I think Kevin has played so well at short this year in third, but it raises the question, like, Okay, who's playing shortstop next year? You will, in theory, have one more year of Hovey Baiez. But looking at free agency, I'm not getting excited about anyone. It might be easier to bring in someone at second, and there might be a case to bring Labor Torez back. Yet again, we're getting way ahead of ourselves here, But Kevin has played well enough at short that I do wonder maybe you maybe that's the plan until Bryce Rayner is in the major leagues, because I'm just not sure how else you are you are filling all those innings one hundred and sixty two games at short. I do think some of it depends on the rest of the roster construction, But ideally, one day, Kevin mcgonagill, maybe we'll find a more permanent home at second base, where I do think he would be even better than he's been on the left side of the infield.
Speaker 1: All right, well we got up next, all right from Sparky's ghost. Let's assume the Tigers make it interesting. Who are top three bullpen arms they should target. I'm thinking swing and misguys, Well, and that'd be great. I would I would love for some swing and miss in this bullpen. And and look that the the the brain switch you're gonna have to make if you go from oh man, we're selling to all right, we're buying, is you go from thinking about the value that you will be receiving in your organization to the value that you are going to have to give up in your organization. One of the top arms that's gonna be available come trade deadline time is Luke Weaver. I don't know if anybody's been paying attention, because the Mets are obviously not great, but Luke Weaver is having one hell of a year. He's a he's a one plus one plus war guy. If you want chasing width percentiles eighty eight and ninety respectively, He's got eighty eight percentile k rate. He's not getting a lot of hard contact. Like, there's a lot of things to like about Luke Weaver. He would and obviously experience, you know, all these things that would you would like in a in a playoff team and you know, play a team trying to make a run. Problem is, he's probably gonna be one of the top arms available at the trade deadline, so you're gonna have to pay something. What that is I have no idea what. The Mets are obviously trying to reset for the future, so they're not gonna be uh. And also, Weaver has another year left on his contract. I don't know if it's a player option or whatever, but he is technically under contract for another season, so that will be a piece of the price. Why not call the Giants, I've said this before, Why not call the Giants to just see what's gonna cost to get Dylan Smith back? Like Dylan Smith, Like, it can't be It can't be that expensive to go get Dylan Smith back from the Giants, you know, and and he's shown some promise here and in San Francisco. I think that would be a popular move amongst amongst everybody, and it wouldn't obviously cost you a lot. And then you know, I was trying to look at some other guys that you know, could be Yeah, you like something here, but there's obviously holes here. Uh. Juan Mehita in uh in Colorado intrigues me a little bit. He's got eighty nine percentile fastball velocity, sixty seven percentile chase six per sentile with he is sporting a five seven to nine ERA right now, so obviously he's not perfect. He is playing in Colorado. How much of that I'm not playing there? I am not sure. But again, when you're acquiring guys of the deadline, you're not getting perfect players. And the Tigers are going to be looking at this where it's like, can we get a guy who can excel in this thing? And I think all three of those guys could potentially be there. And then obviously Luke Weaver being the big pride. So those are just some three arms. I kind of like a different tiers is kind of how I tried to do it. That intrigued me at least.
Speaker 2: Karen, it is really fascinating. Let's say the Tigers get to within three games and it's August third, and I don't know, man, are you sure you're you're trading everyone? Are you sure you're trading Scooble or should you just strengthen this bullpen and freaking go for it. They keep winning, I'm honestly in that camp. Get a couple of relievers, some actual good ones this time, and go for it because you have a pretty good team now. The best reliever on the market's probably gonna be a role as Chapman. I'm gonna assume they're not actually gonna, you know, fishing in that into the pond. Ryan Helsley a guy like he's back on the aisle with with elbow discomfort. Ryan Reiley O'Brien, a controllable reliever, doesn't punch a ton of guys. Cardinals, they were having a good year, whether you even trade them. Brian Abreu is an interesting name. This guy does miss bats, but he's had kind of a terrible season with the Astros, another team still kind of trying to find out what they're gonna do. That does kind of have Tigers written all over it because he's a former Astro and like he's a really good talented pitcher having a bad year, so maybe the price tag lowers. There are other names, but man, if the Tigers could shore up this bullpen with actual swing and miss this time, if they keep winning games, there is a compelling case that that should be the play. Of course, let's play schedule to see what happened from the Phillies coming to town this weekend. The mood could dampen a little bit after that series. Who knows.
Speaker 1: And that kind of goes into another question. It's like, is there a universe with the Tigers trade for closer ad job to the bullpen? You already have Montero there and suddenly have the best complete pitching staff in baseball. That world exists, So we'll see what they do. All right, what do we have next?
Speaker 2: All right? Back to this Casey Mice question here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, at this point, what do you think the free agent market is for Casey Mice? He won this is from Yeoman's play. He won't fetch as much as school ball. So should the Tigers keep and hope they can resign him to something reasonable? Uh? Depends on what your definition of reasonable is. Because the way he's pitching. Uh, there's there's a great amount of good timing happening for Casey Mice, and you know that he's probably gonna be one of those guys that uh, you know, waits on the market to kind of set and then they kind of go, you know, go from there. But right now Cody four for one hundred and not like that, that feels like it's in play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I'll just say this value keeps getting higher. I was talking with someone probably almost a month ago, and I was like, yeah, you think you get like three forty five and they were like, I think higher, And I think there's a track record for that. Pictures of this ilk, of this tier just make a lot of money on the open market, and even though like I almost think teams sometimes should avoid that, but you see, you know, even Jack Flaherty, I know he took the qualifying offer, but Jack Flaherty has made a ton of money, even over the last two years when the market hasn't treated him as well as he would like. Casey Mees right now is a two point six B war pitcher. A three war pitcher would in theory be worth somewhere close to twenty four million per year. And then I think the question is how long do you want to go with Casey Mez a guy who does have some injury history, but also a guy who's pitching the best baseball of his career. It's not inconceivable that four one hundred could be in play. In fact, a scout told me recently, I think he could get up to one hundred million. I think if we start talking up to one hundred million, that might be a little too high of a price for the Tigers. You might want to pivot and identify the next casey mies who is someone about to really hit their stride. But I do think there's a case even if they trade him Karen, to try to get this guy back. He does kind of fit. There's a stability element, there's a familiarity element. I don't know. I would be in favor of the Tigers keeping case he miyes. But if they don't do like a deadline selloff, or even if they do, like I said, bring him back, but I wonder if he's almost pitching himself out of that range right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I think that's very much a possibility. All Right, we got next.
Speaker 2: I think that's all we got.
Speaker 1: It's all we got, Okay, Well, I did want to bring up a question that we got on YouTube Ty Madden. Question, is you know, is this guy still kind of in the picture. Is he somebody that the Tigers should keep stretched out in Toledo or is or is he? Could he be somebody that they turned to for bullpen help as you know, the you know, you kind of give up on the briskies of the world, you give up on some other guys that maybe like aren't aren't performing as well. Is there a Ti Madden piece to this pitching staff in some fashion moving forward?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Ty Maddens not the sexiest name out there, but kind of like cater Montero a couple of years ago, or even a couple of years here's a go version of Ty Madden, Like, this is an important guy to have in your org. He can start, he can he can pitch and relief, he can do different things for you. I would lean towards keeping him stretched out because you just never know when that might come in handy. So yeah, I mean, and I think it's a pretty simple answer to that question. If if you get toward the end of the year and they're a real need, maybe this is a guy who can help you. You still have Brendan Hanafee down there unfortunately forgot Man, despite just pitching well most of the time. So you know, you don't love love your options in Twedo, but I think it's good to have Madden able to do multiple things because you just don't know where the season is going to lead.
Speaker 1: You don't we know it, Cody, don't we uh So? Yeah, Well, we'll be doing more of these as the trade deadline nears and as we get hopefully a clearer picture as to where the Tigers will be. Uh And the more I think about it, you know, with this record and with you know, having school will, having Miz and all these guys who could potentially be traded or trade chips, kind of holding major League Baseball hostage. The Tigers are and we are there every step of the way. I want to thank everybody for following on next foming on Twitter at Cody Stapenhagen, I met you're an Undercore detectly at pod Paige pod page is at Tiger Territory, Underscore YouTube, Apple, Spotify, you guys know what to do. We appreciate all of you. So for Cody Stavenhagen, I'm Karri Steckley. Everybody, have a great day. H