Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news from the heart of where innovation, money and power collide in Silicon Valley and beyond. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Lovelow.
Speaker 2: Live from New York. I'm Caroline Hyde.
Speaker 3: And I'm Mike Sheppard in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Coming up asml fights back Deep Seak concerns and surges the most since twenty twenty as stronger chip equipment orders, Impress plus, did Deep Seek improperly use open ai data? Microsoft and open Ai investigate? We have the latest and we sit down with T Mobile CEO on the heels of the company's standout fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: But first we check in on these markets.
Speaker 4: Remember, folks, it is fed day where we get a pause that comes later today.
Speaker 2: But we're off by four tens percent.
Speaker 4: Now's that on the downside, we're being dragged down by the like some video Microsoft in the red. Let's move on and see what earnings we have coming off after the bell because it is thick and fast. Not only are we reading from deep Seek, but we've got to.
Speaker 2: Digest the real numbers.
Speaker 4: Microsoft, Meta, Tesla, Apple a little bit later, but tonight, we keep an eye on these front three and then we think about what we've already had out of the bell in Europe and is ASML the chip equipment maker managing to fight back some of those anxieties around deep seek cheap AA models? Ultimately does it matter for chips? For chip equipment ASML surging currently we see up five percent in US trading. It was up the most that's twenty twenty earlier, Mike, and this was on the back of very strong orders.
Speaker 3: And we're staying on ASML and their big earnings. Be joining us to discuss this is Bloomberg's Chan coach in Amsterdam.
Speaker 5: Chan.
Speaker 3: There were a surgeon orders in the last quarter for ASML, far more than expected. But all of that was before the deep Seek revelations. How did the CEO of ASML message this to investors today?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 7: CHRISTOSML CEO doubled down on AI. Basically, he thinks Deep Seek will be good news for ASML, and his thinking is that anyone that lowers cost lowers barriers to entry, so lower cost means AI can be used in more applications. More applications mean more chips, and more chips would mean ASML can sell more machines to chip makers, and they think deep sea can lead to democratization of AI, which will then create more customers for them charm.
Speaker 3: When we talk about chips, we can't get away from geopolitics. How did some of the US restrictions on sales of sensitive equipment to China play in the results that we saw today?
Speaker 7: Will China accounted for twenty seven percent of ASML sales in the fourth quarter, which was down from nearly half of its sales in the third quarter. The company expects China sales to follow up one fifth of its total revenue this year, and they think that their sales in China are taking a hit from the prospect of more US restrictions under Donald Trump's administration, as well as a broader weakness in the chip sector.
Speaker 5: Bloomberg's John Coach, thank you so much, Caro.
Speaker 4: We booke a plenty more earnings and other socks we're watching this morning.
Speaker 2: Apple t Mobile.
Speaker 4: In particular, two companies that have been working secretly together. We understand ad support for SpaceX is Starling network in a surprise release. The tech is now being supported with an installation of the iPhone's latest software update on Monday, but more on T Mobile because.
Speaker 2: The company, of course is out with this fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: Results beating analyst expectations. The telecom providers saw continued growth in wireless subscribers and home internet customers. Get this, adding nine hundred and three thousand monthly phone customers and guiding from continued strong growth. Joining us now might see that his Tmobile CEO. And what's interesting is descend. But you said, be cautious about our fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: What changed?
Speaker 8: Well, the only thing I was pointing out back then, which maybe was misunderstood, is that it's a seasonal quarter, and you know, the last couple of weeks are important. But you know, we just are firing on all cylinders. We just finished our strongest growth year ever, and we finished it strong with a monster Q four that exceeded a lot of people's expectations.
Speaker 4: And you're guiding for postpaid net customers to be adding up to six million in twenty twenty five. That's a big ramp. Where are those customers coming to?
Speaker 8: You know, this is the strongest beginning of year guide on new subscribers we've ever given, and.
Speaker 9: It's really simple.
Speaker 8: Our consumer business is firing on all cylinders in the top one hundred markets, also smaller markets in rural areas. But now our business sector is starting to rise as well. And so you look across all the segments. People are flocking to.
Speaker 4: T Mobile, governments to New York one of them that you've added. But I'm interested that the other competitors out there, at and T Verizon they added to where are these customers coming from?
Speaker 9: Look this is I like to think about this.
Speaker 8: You know, we're the best house in a great neighborhood. I don't need for our competitors to fail in order for us to succeed. We are taking share. But also the market is vibrant and growing, and people are, you know, getting more value out of rate plans. They're buying up our rate card. You know, our average revenues per customer per month are rising, not because of rising prices, but because they're self selecting up our rate card, and that allows revenues to rise where nobody else is the loser.
Speaker 4: People need more data. They're going to need more data for Generator of AI. Is that become a choke point for.
Speaker 2: You in some way?
Speaker 8: It's going to be a way for us to showcase our differentiation you know, both Oukla and Open Signal have once again said we ran the gamut in terms of network awards and we have the.
Speaker 9: Most capacity by far.
Speaker 8: And so as the demand for our network on AI based applications starts to grow, it'll only showcase t mobiles differentiation. I think consumers will really be able to see the difference.
Speaker 4: Will consumers care about when they're out without any signal and now they're able potentially to tap in to Starlin easing team Mobile.
Speaker 8: When we first announced this partnership in twenty twenty two, it was the single most covered thing we've ever talked about. And that's saying something because our uncarrier moves are big deals. This is the biggest one because it speaks to a universal pain point in this industry. This is a big country and there are five hundred thousand square miles that none of the carriers cover. And so now there's our vision is so simple. If you can see the sky, you're connected and you don't.
Speaker 4: Have to point your phone at it anymore, which is what you had to do with an Apple previously. Why did you sort of roll it out so secretly? Why did it feel like suddenly we woke up and quietly you could get onto your T mobile iPhone device when we wouldn't have thought it already.
Speaker 8: Honestly, we've been a little self conscious than that. We announced this a long time ago, and so it's been a couple of years and we didn't want to keep crowing about something until it was ready.
Speaker 9: So we made a big.
Speaker 8: Deal out of it when we struck the partnership and we said, look, let's just stay quiet until it's time to hand people this service. About two weeks ago we quietly started letting people into our beta program. We now have thousands of users and we're about to throw the doors wide open on our beta. It's going to be a big moment and then commercial service this year.
Speaker 2: So it's performing well in beta.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, and right now the launches are happening really rapidly. So there's well over four hundred satellites. They're low Earth orbit satellites, so they're very performant. You mentioned some of the differences versus higher level satellites, and people are getting a great experience.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: Our goal is to.
Speaker 8: Start with text messaging so that you can get your texts out regardless of where you are, but it'll very quickly move to picture messaging, MMS, data and voice.
Speaker 4: I hate to try and find any clouds when you're pointing to silver linings throughout, But when you signal that caution in December, Yes, about sort of the cyclicality, but ultimately you've had stellar growth after sellar growth. How much can you keep on ramping, keep on bringing on more consumers? How strong is the consumer sentiment out there?
Speaker 8: It's steady and consistent. I think that's what you want from us. You know, one of the things that differentiates us is we set out a set of outlooks and then we consistently meet or beat them. And what we put out today was a strong guide, but it wasn't expecting much from our business that we haven't done in the past. And so you can rely on the things that we say because we look at the trends underneath it. And you know, the bottom line is we offer a stronger network value proposition, and we offer it at a lower price, and at the end of the day, that's going to cause people across segments to continue choosing T Mobile.
Speaker 4: What is it that investors in particular a needing at this moment to hear from you? I mean you've got twenty two buys, only nine holds and only two cells. But where are you hearing the questions of caution coming from an investor base right?
Speaker 8: Well, they want to know what our next act is, you know, And so that's a big piece of what we focused on in our Capital Markets day last fall. So talk about what comes be on the next couple of years, and you know, AI is a big piece of it. We're transforming our business operations to be able to think about how do we serve customers in the era of AI in new ways? And this industry has always treated everybody exactly the same, and it's so analogue. You go in and spend a Saturday of your life in one of our retail stores trying to upgrade your family to new phones.
Speaker 9: We know we can do.
Speaker 8: Better, and our Tea Life app that's now in the hands of fifty million people can give you an experience of T Mobile that's different than somebody else in terms of the offers. You may see, the prioritization, the upgrades, et cetera. And so it's an exciting moment for us to rethink how we serve customers and give each customer a fantastic journey with T Mobile.
Speaker 4: What could the phone make has been doing better at the moment because ultimately we see Apple getting another downgrade. Many worries about China, but we aren't upgrading our phones as much as we used to do. You have to capitalize on giving the add ons in this moment because Samsung and Apple just they're not presenting as new a use cases as they used to.
Speaker 9: Well, it works for our business model. I mean, I can't speak for them.
Speaker 8: One thing that's happening is upgrade rates have slowed down, but they're pretty steady. Prices have risen, so the OEMs have made up for it. That way, customers are keeping their phones longer. But what you saw with T Mobile this time is our upgrade rates did tick up a little bit. With the lowest upgrade rates in the industry. That's good for our financials. But they started to normalize, so they ticked up. I signaled earlier in the quarter that our iPhone sales were very strong, and they were, and you saw it in our numbers.
Speaker 2: Mike, so great to have you.
Speaker 4: Great to see you again in the back of your earnings. Come back soon. Mike's even is a T Mobile CEO, Microsoft and open Ai are investigating where the deep seek used data output from open AI's technology if it was obtained in an unauthorized manner by a group linked to the Chinese AI startups, all according to sources. Now, Deep Seek and the High Flyer Hedge fund where deep Seak was started, have not commented on there's so far, so let's discuss it and the data privacy concerns around deep seat with Alex Staemosi's chief mentioned security officer at Centinel One and former chief security officer at Facebook. Look Alex is open ai and indeed other AI labs at the moment. Are they right to be concerned about their ip here?
Speaker 9: I think they are.
Speaker 10: There's a lot of people who doubt the claim that deepsek was able to build such a incredibly capable model with such a little compute and such as little cost as they claim. Now there are some great breakthroughs here. Deep Seek published at paper that demonstrated great breakthroughs in both training cost and inference costs. So inference is what you do when you're actually running the model for people to use later, and they have some legitimate breakthroughs. So those are breakthroughs that to their credit, they have documentary that other people are going to be able to use now. But there's a lot of people who believe that they utilized both open AI's model probably running up in Microsoft's Azure service, as well as metas open source models to build upon to build Deepseek, And that's what's being investigated.
Speaker 3: Right now, Alex Is there anything that Microsoft and other open and open ai and other providers can do to perhaps prevent this from happening again? If not deep Seek, then perhaps another competitor from China.
Speaker 10: Well, this is the challenge that they're going to have that Microsoft's business model is that you can go to Microsoft Azure and you can throw down a credit card, you can open up an account, and you can ask them to create a private copy of open AI's models for you that you can use for your own purposes. This is how Microsoft plans on monetizing their multi billion dollar investment in open Ai. That is a great thing for them, that's a great thing in theory for both open Ai and the customers that you can have a version of open Ai that in theory does not expose their model weights to the customer and does not expose the customer's private enterprise data to open AI.
Speaker 9: But what has happened is that people have figured.
Speaker 10: Out ways that you can ask a model many many millions or billions of questions to suck all of the data out of it. So imagine you have an ancient wise professor, and you're able to ask that wise professor many, many, many questions and then effectively become a.
Speaker 9: Copy of that professor.
Speaker 10: That's exactly what can happen here, except at machine speed. You can do that over days, weeks, or months, and that is the business model that Microsoft is operating here. So detecting that kind of behavior might be theoretically possible, but that's also exactly what they're selling. And so I think, yes, they're going to look into what Deepseat did here, but it will only be a cat and mouse game to try to determine whether somebody is actually utilizing the models in the way Microsoft wants them to and wants to get paid for, and whether or not they're trying to actually copy those models.
Speaker 4: Is we want to ask you a little bit more about the detail of concerns anxieties privacy. Teresa Peyton joined US. She's former CEO for the White House. Here's what she had to say about worries on using deep Seat.
Speaker 11: This is an untested app. I would caution people not to put too much proprietary company information into it, and until there's been an opportunity to actually do something called ethical hacking or red teaming pen testing of the actual app and learning more about how is your data treated, where is it stored, how do the algorithms work. It is open source, but things do still need to be put through their paces.
Speaker 4: Of course, deep Seat was the number one app downloaded on Apple. We've also now got Ali Baba announcing its latest powerful AI model. Should similar reticence be used by US companies?
Speaker 2: By US people? Adds?
Speaker 10: Okay, So this is where it gets complicated and we got to be really careful here to separate out two different things. There is the deep Seak app that people are downloading on their phones. That app, that data goes straight to China. Right, So if you're downloading deep Seek on your phone, or if you're going to deep Seak's website and you're typing in query that app, that data goes straight to China. That's available to that Chinese company, that is probably available to the Chinese government without any problem. So yes, absolutely, companies should not be allowing their employees to download the deep Seap app onto their phones. If you're a company and you download the open source model weights, that data does not go back to China. Now there are some potential risks right now.
Speaker 9: Those risks are pretty much theoretical. The deep seek model weights do have an ideological.
Speaker 10: Twist towards the CCP, so if you asked you about Tineman square, it won't answer. It will not create, for example, a Winnie the Pooh story about Shishan Pin.
Speaker 9: So it corresponds to the.
Speaker 10: Rules the Chinese government has created about the ideological consistency of AI, but that is not a security risk. That being said, there are some interesting theoretical ideas people have come up with about backdooring AI when it's used for security sensitive uses, but right now that is not as big of a deal. I think a more interesting question for enterprises that are looking to use the deep Seak model WAKES is the legal issues. If it turns out that deep seek was trained off of metas and open AIS models, what does that mean for the legality of using deep seeks models. Deep Seak has open source theirs, but they do not have the ability to get rid of any legal issues that are caused by open AI. Of course, open ai is being sued for their use of training data that's open that. This is one of the issues with AI. The intellectual property issues have not been solved. We're dealing with eighteen, nineteenth and early twentieth century copyright ideas and we're trying to apply it to these twenty first century problems. And it's a real legal mess that the legal system is years behind what the cutting edges in technology.
Speaker 3: Alex Stamos, Sentinel One Chief Information Security Officer, Thank you. Coming up, we'll cover deep Seek's impact on the chip world with Andrew Feldman from Sarah Bras.
Speaker 5: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Not all hardware providers are worried about deep seek advantas. The partner of Nvidia that sells chip testing equipment just lifted its full year forecast almost forty percent in anticipation of elevated spending around AI, and it downplayed the impact of deep Seek's big debut. Now let's bring in someone else in the field. Andrew Feldman, CEO Sarah Brus, a company building computer systems for complex AI deep learning applications. Andrew, your company is trying to go toe to toe with a big competitor and that is Nvidia. What do you draw in terms of an underdog story from what we saw the other day with deep Seek?
Speaker 12: Okay, I think this is an enormously exciting moment for the community. I think it sends multiple powerful messages. Clearly, they used less compute, they used fewer people and produced something quite impressive. Now, I think that's a reminder that those of us who are underdogs and are competing against the eight hundred pound gorillas in the industry, small teams of hardworking people with big ideas can produce industry changing results. And that's what we do at Cerebras.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Andrew, they used you, they used Cerebras inference offering.
Speaker 2: What did you see?
Speaker 4: What have you taken on in terms of the amount of share necessity they need in this moment?
Speaker 12: Sure, So we are now in beta with our deep Seak offering. And as your last guest said, there are two ways to use deep Seek. You can use it through their app, and I think he's absolutely correct that that that data you can assume goes right to China. Or you can use it through a company like us or Perplexity or collection of others that are offering the model, and we of course have all sorts of protections for your data such that you can be assured it will go nowhere. There is tremendous demand for this type of model. One of the things that separated this model from previous models was that its ability to reason and to do logic, and those type of models in particular outperform the other forms of models, and they do that by using more compute during inference. And this is something that the whole industry has been grappling with and we are today the fastest of this and what that means for you, the user is a better user experience, quicker answers, less waiting, and that's what's really moving the customers right now.
Speaker 3: Andrew Cerebras had been planning an IPO, do you have an update on that? And we also understand and that an interagency panel in Washington known as SIPIUS has been reviewing all of this.
Speaker 5: Do you have an update there? I don't, But I.
Speaker 12: Think the deep Seek model was put out right around Trump's inauguration.
Speaker 6: I don't think that was an accident.
Speaker 12: I think this was an effort to communicate at the geopolitical level to the US that the previous administration's regulations hadn't worked, that the Chinese engineer was capable of doing extraordinary things even in the face of the regulations imposed by the previous administration's commerce team.
Speaker 4: What's so interesting about this You talk about the geopolitics and perhaps all that sort of timing use with Huawei and its innovations, But briefly, many and perhaps worried Siphius maybe have anxiety around your relationship with G forty two and it's ultimate relationship with Chines, your overseas locations. How do you tackle that in this environment?
Speaker 12: Look, I think we have a strategic partnership with G forty two. They are the national champion AI company for United Arab Emirates, and they are one of the US's staunchest allies in the Middle East and have a long track record of supporting US interests and being good allies. I think one of the things that Deep Seek has taught us is that.
Speaker 9: We will need the community and we will need our allies.
Speaker 12: That we thought perhaps that the US could run this alone, that we had the computer companies like Cerebras, like Nvidia and a m D and we had the open eyes of the world. But I think what we're learning here is that we will need the entire US ecosystem in this AI battle.
Speaker 2: Andrew Feldman, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: CEO Cerebras.
Speaker 2: Come back when you do. You have a bit more news on the IPO potentially coming up.
Speaker 4: Activist investor Kristin Hull joins us to discuss what she'll be looking for when Tesla releases its results later today. I remember an activist investor what she makes of Elon Musk's involvement in government, in the German government. This is bloue Meg Technology. Welcome back to Blue Meg Technology. I'm Caroline Hide in New York.
Speaker 5: And I'm Mike Shepard in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Check on these markets, Mike, because we've got some anxiety ahead of the FED, of course, and indeed ahead of earnings. We've got Microsoft Meta Tesla after well, nasdak off by four ten percent. The bitcoin though, is getting a bit of a risk on trade where at one and a half percent, maybe because of what Trump Media has just announced a pairing into financial services. They're launching a fintech brand name Truthfi. In collaborations with Charles Schwab up eight and a half percent Sally Bakewell here to discuss what are we expecting this sort of a move from an entity related to the president.
Speaker 2: I think we could have expected it.
Speaker 13: I mean, Trump has just launched his trump coin, he has already declared himself a huge supporter of cryptocurrencies.
Speaker 2: He's the crypto president.
Speaker 13: So I don't think it's a huge surprise that Trump Media is delving into the financial services world with this investment.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 13: It's notable, though, that Donald Trump he actually transferred his shares in Trump Media last month to a trust which is controlled by his eldest son, so he no longer directly owns any of Trump Media, but he is the sole beneficiary of that trust. So I think this is just an example of how the Trump Empire is deepening its push into crypto and fintech. And it's interestingly timed because just last week Trump made comments about, you know, traditional banks and how he said that they were effectively debanking the Conservatives. He's sort of made a barber Bank of America CEO Brian moynihan, as well as JP Morgan chief Jamie Diamond, so he's a big fan of the crypto the fintech world.
Speaker 2: I think it is fair to.
Speaker 3: Say Sally in effector is the Trump Media group trying to create something that Elon Musk has dreamed about for all these years, that is a one stop social platform with everything, messaging, finance, you name it.
Speaker 2: Well, so far, what do we know?
Speaker 13: We know that Trump Media is investing two hundred and fifty million in this effort, and that money actually is going to be custodied by Charles Schwab, which is also going to advise it on its investments and its strategy. It's going to offer separately managed accounts ETFs, and other bitcoin, crypto and bitcoin related products. Now, getting into the financial services space is something that a lot of companies have done. Just yesterday, social media platform x announced that it was partnering with Visa on its digital wallet in order to be this everything app that Musk has lo talked about.
Speaker 2: And we've seen the.
Speaker 13: Likes of Amazon creeps only into financial services, as has Apple with the wallet. So it's a difficult world to enter in many ways. There are a lot of incumbents such as zell and Venmo, which holds substantial portions of the market. But equally, a lot of these companies also want to diversify their revenue, and this is one place that they can do that.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg Sally big, Well, thank you so much. Tesla releases its fourth quarter earnings later today, and investors are going to be closely watching for information on new products and sales volume, and they also want to know how CEO Elon Musk's new role in the Trump administration is impacting the electric vehicle maker.
Speaker 5: Let's bring in Kristen Hall.
Speaker 3: She's the founder and chief investment officer at NIA Impact Capital and somebody who follows Tesla very closely, Nia, this is a real moment for you.
Speaker 5: If somebody watches this company very closely.
Speaker 3: Tough sales numbers earlier this month from the company, we see the new president pulling away the EV subsidies and the CEO of Tesla himself quite distracted by politics. These are choppy waters for any company. How is Tesla going to navigate them?
Speaker 2: Hey, Mike, thanks for having me today.
Speaker 14: This is a tricky company and all investors are going to be watching for these earnings today. We want to see that there's a commitment to growth and that there's an ability for execution, and of course we have questions can the CEO execute on these and do we have a board that's going to support all of the growth that we need to see from this company.
Speaker 5: What are you looking.
Speaker 3: For in particular when it comes to the business including self driving and perhaps some of the other businesses that have emerged for Tesla, including AI and robotics.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so that's a good question, right because as investors, we want to see growth, and we want to see a plan, and we want to see guidance. And what we know from these earnings reports from the past is consistently there will be surprises. We can expect that we want to see that there are sales growth in their main revenue source, which is automobiles, right, and yet Europe dropping in popularity. Actually worldwide, Tesla has been dropping popularity, and so we have competition coming up in the market, both with regular automobile makers as well as some of the Chinese that are coming in and so it's a complicated terrain for Tesla right now to navigate, and so we're going to want to see that there's a CEO in control with a plan.
Speaker 4: You are so important in terms of a voice because you're an activist investor, and ultimately you're questioning often the role of elo Musk, the way of policies he.
Speaker 2: Invokes, the way he acts.
Speaker 4: But notably at the moment, Tesla doesn't seem to be particularly related to fundamentals. We point out that their shares are nearly doubled since the last time we got earnings, and the numbers haven't been that great since then if you think about the deliveries numbers instead, this is a proxy on Elon's closeness to politics. How do you distinguish that for yourself as an investor?
Speaker 14: So, Caroline, thanks for the question. This is a complicated company, particularly when the CEO is as involved with the federal government as is. Oftentimes you would see if there's a role granted from the federal government that you would drop your current day job, and yet we're not seeing that happening.
Speaker 2: So we do.
Speaker 14: Believe that every company deserves a full time CEO, and so we have lots of questions there. We also have questions about human capital management and how is Tesla going to be able to attract, retain, promote top talent, because, as we know, this is an innovation company, and innovation does derive itself from really loyal client base, both on the client side and then also on the employee base, and so we're looking to see how is the company going to manage this.
Speaker 4: For years, though, since you first bought into Tesla, you've been trying to communicate with the company and pushing against some of the activities that we've seen, whether it be consents around on to DEI, whether it be certain perceived anti Semitic compents coming from Elo Musk in the past that I know you've written about.
Speaker 2: There's also, though, of course, the latest.
Speaker 4: When we come to the concerns around gestures recently made around the inauguration of Trump made by Elo Musk and indeed his support of IFD, which is deemed a right wing group in Germany. Nothing seems the matter when you're putting this to ultimately a share price that goes up into the right.
Speaker 14: So you bring up some really interesting points. This company does seem to stand alone as far as its meanness, and that it's continued to grow. Other companies would not get the same reactions with that type of CEO and those types of behaviors. We as investors are really looking for the long term possibilities here, and when you have such a controversial CEO, we are seeing, as you point out, sales are dropping, popularity is dropping, the brand has been damaged, and so how is the board and the rest of Tesla going to step in and see how are we going to see sales growing when we are having a lot of controversial issues. As I pointed out earlier, we're also seeing not only two clients at where I live in California, many many are switching to Rivian and other EV brands specifically based on the brand and some of the issues that they see that they don't want to be associated with. And we're also seeing that for employees, who's going to want to work for Tesla in such a volatile environment. These are questions that investors have.
Speaker 3: Kristin, It's been a year since Tesla dropped diversity and inclusion language from its ten K, and we've seen since then other companies and even the federal government following suit in some fashion or another. Do you see this tide changing at all? And what sort of pressure will you be able to apply to Tesla at upcoming meetings?
Speaker 14: So for all of our companies, we really want to see strong human capital management. And so whether you call it DEI or whether you call it supporting your employee base, we really want to see Tesla and other companies hold their employees on the asset side of the balance sheet as opposed to on the expense side. We want to see that Tesla is showing that they will invest in their employee base because we know that again, to execute on all of the innovation that they promised, they're going to need to have strong, loyal employees and that's going to mean strong programs and so again, whether it's called diversity, equity inclusion, whether it's merit based hiring, we want to see that investment and we need to see the transparency around that. So with Tesla, we and NIA have been asking them to remove forced arbitration from employee contracts because that does conceal a lot of what's going on, both for managers and for investors as well as for other employees.
Speaker 4: Kristin how, chief investment Officer for NIA Impact Capital, thanks so much for joining us today and do not forget to check out the elon Ink Podcasts FINGO card for this round of Tesla's earnings.
Speaker 2: You can find it on the.
Speaker 4: Terminal Online Work out what words are used, how many times, and if they're in line with that card coming up. TikTok still needs a US buyer to avoid a bad in the States.
Speaker 2: Seventy five day extension.
Speaker 4: Signed by President Trump run out in April. We'll talk to Jesse Tinsley about the old cash bid he's put together with none of them, the mister Beast. This is bringing back technology.
Speaker 3: Could a widely popular influencer become an owner in a hugely popular social media platform.
Speaker 5: Mister Beast is reported.
Speaker 3: To be speaking with multiple groups of investors about buying TikTok.
Speaker 5: One of those groups is led.
Speaker 3: By Jesse Tinsley, the CEO of Employer dot Com. Jesse Tinsley joins us now. Jesse, thank you for being here. Let's get right to it. How involved is mister Beast with your group's bid? Has he fully committed to joining your team here?
Speaker 15: I think mister Beast, as we said last week, I think we hope that he joins as many bus as as possible.
Speaker 6: He's positive influence.
Speaker 15: For young people and people ever read globally, and so we're excited to have him in his group backing our bid among others as well.
Speaker 4: So he's not formally signed on to your bid. He's just seeing whoever wins contacts.
Speaker 15: So I think there's some some articles that came out last week and mister Beast and his group are definitely signed on with our group and it's but it's non exclusive, so we hope he can work with as many groups as possible.
Speaker 2: And what about your bid?
Speaker 4: Who else is involved other than yourself and potentially mister Beaste.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's a great question.
Speaker 15: I think we were We were not obviously a very large bid by by any means.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 15: We're a bunch of technologists and founders and there's folks like David Bazouki from the CEO and co founder of rope Blocks, as well as Nathan Coley, co founder and CEO of Anchorage, among a bunch of other technologists and folks that I think can stabilize, you know, TikTok can put in a really good place for users and data integrity across you know, across the US based population.
Speaker 6: We're We're excited with the group we have.
Speaker 15: We have as almost a great effort as opposed to some of these larger bids.
Speaker 6: And I think we have folks that can come in and make a huge impact. We're really excited with the group that we.
Speaker 3: A Jesse, what have you heard back from BYT Dance and who at the company are you dealing with specifically.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a good question. We have heard back from BI Dance directly.
Speaker 15: It's been a bit of radio silence on their side, but we're looking forward to chatting with them the next couple of weeks. It sounds like there's some movement with different conversations we've been having across a bunch of different parties, and I think it's right now. We're scared with the way things are trending. And yeah, so no direct contact with by Dance.
Speaker 6: Thom's farm.
Speaker 4: Really fascinating about who's alongside you Roadblocks. I totally get the idea that you want to therefore be aligned with social media and with discussion and groups and interaction of young people. But Jesse, you have made your name in human capital. Why are you interested in this asset?
Speaker 2: What change do you want to make?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the fantastic question. I think. Obviously data's background.
Speaker 15: Roadblocks directly seeks the lines a lot with the same values that I shared. It's one of the reasons that we added him directly is I have two young daughters who will soon be on on social media and hopefully my goal and whoever whoever wins roadblocks, whether it's myself or another group, I hope that you know that it's safe enough for the where I feel comfortable with my young daughters going on.
Speaker 6: TikTok for the next six ft full months.
Speaker 15: And I think right now, the way the algorithm is set, where the data is, how the data is being used, I would not feel that comfortable doing that thus far. So I think that that's kind of my goal and the values that I see an ndidate for for US.
Speaker 6: Stone after this stood correctly.
Speaker 3: Jesse, President Donald Trump has made selling TikTok to US buyers or reaching a deal a priority.
Speaker 5: What kind of contact have you had with the White House and what.
Speaker 3: Sort of support are you getting from Trump administration officials on your bid.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we've done ongoing dialogue with the Trump illustration, and we feel very comfortable with our bid in terms of how we've actually set it up. We have a bunch of we've already preset a lot of the team in terms of board of directors and board sub committees with around finance, technology and everything else.
Speaker 6: So we feel really really good.
Speaker 15: We have an all us back vaccine with all of the data and servers and technology moving here.
Speaker 6: So definitely gonna be a challenge to move TikTok.
Speaker 15: But over from byte Dance and there's so many servers and move it here.
Speaker 6: But we feel really comfortable with our bid correctly.
Speaker 4: Ultimately, it sounds like you're making one just for the good of humanity, for the good of your kids.
Speaker 2: I mean you.
Speaker 4: Said, I think accidentally said you were making whoever wins out on roadblocks, and you might say whoever wins out on TikTok.
Speaker 2: But help us take this really seriously.
Speaker 4: You've already named some really significant people who are in this with yourself are a significant entrepreneur and founder. But help us understand how serious the nature it is of this bid and how much money you've got behind it.
Speaker 15: Jesse, Yeah, so definitely definitely a very large bit, I think Bell I'll measures we basically have I think the other public number fit that's been floated as a twenty big billion by another group essentially ours and significantly higher that offer ends today got.
Speaker 4: The money behind at Jesse Tinsley, He tells our CEO of employer dot com thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Microsoft and Meta reporting after market closed today. All this admits concerns around artificial intelligence spending. Let's bring in Bloomberg's Ryan Blestelica.
Speaker 5: Ryan. Meta and Microsoft are two very different stories.
Speaker 3: When it comes to capex, Meta seems to be getting a little bit more of a pass.
Speaker 16: Why is that, Hey, thanks for having me on. Yeah, it's a great question. So last week they came out gave a new cappex target that was significantly above what people were expecting.
Speaker 9: And while a lot.
Speaker 16: Of AI spending has come under scrutiny lately, the stock actually rallied. It seems like the overall takeaway was people view them as investing from a place's strength. And then earlier this week, amid all the sell off and volatility related to Deep Seek out of China, Meta also rose again. That was sort of seen as a validation of its own AI model Lama, which is open source, getting a little bit of a bid from deep Seek, which is another open source model, So it's sort of a validation of their strategy there.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, Microsoft expecting eleven percent increase in revenue, but they've got to vindicate their spending and indeed where the open AI is is valuable without Since the deep Seek news.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely so that's this company.
Speaker 16: They've disappointed the past couple of quarters, just based on their share price reaction. Some concerns about the strength of their cloud business. Is it growing fast enough for people to justify paying the high multiple that Microsoft has, especially relative to Meta.
Speaker 9: That's going to be a real focus here.
Speaker 16: And obviously that was the name that a I saw a lot of weakness earlier this week on the deep seek news.
Speaker 9: A lot of implications.
Speaker 16: For you know, how much money is being cloud into AI, at least based on the traditional sort of architecture. Now, if deep seek is able to do this in a more efficient and cost effective manner, that really kind of changes the economics behind some of the spinning that they've been doing.
Speaker 4: I'm les Delca. Got to be busy, thank you. Moving on to two other companies also reporting after the Bell Service. Now in IBM, let's get to it.
Speaker 2: Boombergs Brodie Ford and.
Speaker 4: Software is having its moment because of deep Seek. What do we expect from IBM?
Speaker 17: Absolutely so with IBM, their method of AI monetization thus far as argument in their consulting business. Everyone's watching their bookings around AI as it relates to consulting because that's kind of a good place to be in with the picks and shovels question because you know, no matter what happens, even if the customers don't actually end up buying it, ib able to help you set it up right. So that's a good setup for Jeni at this moment. See how folks are watching for that as well as their own software business largely.
Speaker 3: And Brodie on Service now Generative AI is also a big part of their story. Tell us what you're looking for this afternoon when they drop the application.
Speaker 17: Software vendors were struggling a little while as it relates to AI, but right now with the agent moment, there's a lot more optimism, especially with deep seek. People say, hey, are models getting cheaper. Maybe that's scary if you're in Nvidia, but if you're a company that's going to buy those models and then deliver them to your customers, that's actually very good.
Speaker 2: We see that the.
Speaker 17: Service now is at about an all time high right now, and you know, folks are whole. It's down a little bit today, but yesterday they close that an all time high, so investors are excited about the potential for the application layer to really kind of start having its moment With Jennai.
Speaker 4: Both of these stocks had their moment in twenty twenty four though. Yes, IBM up thirty percent more than bestince two thousand and I service now and its best year up fifty percent. So is it all about just talking up the AI narrative as much.
Speaker 2: As they can.
Speaker 17: That's a huge part of it. IBM had such a great year last year because they were one of the rare reacceleration stories with software. I mean, you could poke at their growth right and say, oh man, it's only two percent this and that, but their software business is accelerating. I mean, the idea that IBM would become a serious software contender, you know, five six years ago wasn't the most popular take, but today we've seen that it really has played out.
Speaker 3: Bertie, Is there any weak spot in either of these companies as they're heading into this afternoon that investors are going to be concerned about?
Speaker 5: In particular?
Speaker 17: One X factor is that they are both pretty big government you know, vendors, and obviously what doge right, I mean, if the whole promise is that we're going to cut off, you know, spending on unnecessary things.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 17: Elon famously doesn't love to pay software bills at his own companies, right, And so some investors have said, man, is this going to be a concern when it comes time to you know, a company like service now Is sells so much into the federal government.
Speaker 4: I correct myself, seve Now up fifty in twenty twenty four, is actually up eighty one percent in age twenty three. We'll see what it delivers tonight, Brady Ford. Great to have him across both of the earnings. And that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology. Don't forget to check in on all of the earnings after the bell, but also check out our podcast. You can find it on the terminal as well as online on Apples, Spotify, and iHeart from New York from San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.