Speaker 1: Really really.
Speaker 2: No, really, Hello everybody, Welcome to really No Really. I'm Jason Alexander. I'm here with my best friend Peter Tilden. And you may ask why am I speaking so quietly?
Speaker 3: Because there's a golf game in the other room? What are you talking about? What are you doing this for?
Speaker 4: It's a theme. I'm on theme. Our theme today? Are really today has to do with quiet?
Speaker 1: Does it not? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, so I'm setting a tone. I'm not allowed to set a tone.
Speaker 3: Wow, you're like magic. It's like working with magic anyway. Today is about the quiet, Yes, because because we found out there's a quiet zone in the United States. It's thirteen thousand square miles lard no Wi Fi?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: No Wi Fi? No cell phones? And we wanted to find out from a guy who visited and wrote about it. Are the people there happier because we talked about technology and cunning back on your cellphone? Every week I get to another article about on Fridays, do quiet Friday for four hours? And I go shut up?
Speaker 4: Where do you get Wait a minute, where do you get an email? Who's sending you an email about quiet Fridays?
Speaker 3: I was in radio for many years. Authors send me stuff, I get stuff all.
Speaker 4: And they would send you a thing saying, hey, respect quiet Friday.
Speaker 3: Well, somebody wants to come on the show to promote quiet to be healthier so you can have better mental hygiene. And that show went off the air. I can't believe that is what a top picture was on for years. Anyway, can we get to this?
Speaker 4: Can I ask one another question? Thirteen thousand square miles in the United States?
Speaker 1: Is a quiet let's get let's get you? Did you add a zero thirteenth? I believe.
Speaker 4: I believe one hundred and thirty square miles thirteen thousand square miles. If you read at a stand behind me, you read a thank you quyat where there's no technology, no cell phones, no nothing, thirteen thousand.
Speaker 1: Where is this place?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'm yearning to get there. It's two and a half hours out of Washington. Stephen Curzy, our guest visited there, wrote a book about it, has moved about it. Stephen, thirteen thousand square miles, right.
Speaker 5: Right, that's the correct size.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I need floating. I need a minute.
Speaker 4: Oh, let's take a moment of quiet gloating thirteen thousand square miles and located where exactly, Stephen.
Speaker 6: So it covers three states, West Virginia, Virginia, and a little bit of Maryland as well.
Speaker 1: I well, it must be quiet because I've never heard of it.
Speaker 3: A lot of people never heard of it. And that's because explain what's there. It's our surveillance. Is there are our telescopes and our listening devices for the country our station.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So maybe I can go back to the beginning of why was established. So back in the nineteen fifties, the United States was investing big in this new science of radio astronomy. It's listening to those radio ways that are coming in from the deep reaches of space. And to establish a radio astronomy observatory, you got to put it in a really radio quiet place, just like you got to put an optical astronomy preservatory in a really dark place. And this area of West Virginia a kind of circled around Green Bank, West Virginias and the Appalachian Mountains. There it was deemed one of the quietest places on the eastern United States and the most suitable place for hosting this first National Radio Astronomy Reservatory.
Speaker 3: So you're saying it's listening to the stars, it's also listening to Brenda in her bathroom in Colorado.
Speaker 1: Correct, well in a sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So around the same time that the US was creating this National Radiostromium Servatory, the US Navy was also active out there in the Appalachian Mountains to establish a very secretive listening post where to this day, the National Security Agency, which is kind of like the intelligence armor of the Department of Defense, operates its own collection at about a half dozen radio antennas which are actively swooping up millions of phone calls, messages, emails, everything every single second.
Speaker 5: Essentially.
Speaker 6: It's been called the large just eavesdropping bug in the United States. So, yeah, there's this quiet zone for two reasons, one for listening to the stars and also for listening to this amazing Wow, And.
Speaker 4: You were complaining about the rumba gathering information on another show.
Speaker 1: What's cool about this?
Speaker 3: We've talked about tech and how teenagers are are ruined and destroyed by tech and the fact that we underestimate our screen time by one hundred percentage, which makes sense. But I don't need to see my screen time.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: I get what I'm doing here, but Steven. The fascinating thing about him before he went into the quiet zone. God rid if he traveled all over the world, He's written articles for a lot of magazics. Gave up his cell phone, so he didn't have a cell phone for ten years.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I it was back in two thousand and nine when I last had a cell phone, and I just kind of threw it away. I can just remember the clinking sound of it landing inside.
Speaker 5: The garbage camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I've been living in Cambodia and I was traveling around Asia and I just decided I wanted to take a break from this device that wasn't going to work anyways while I was traveling. When I got back to the US, I didn't want to spend money on this fancy news smartphone that everybody was pressuring me to get. And that turned in two weeks, turned into months, turned into this philosophical aversion to a culture of constant connectivity where were forced to always be looking at this device.
Speaker 5: And having an honest all the time and being available for everybody all the time.
Speaker 6: I've just rejected that, and eventually that desire to live that way led me to Green Bank, West Virginia where it's quiet, not just naturally but by law.
Speaker 4: And now we know why we had so much trouble getting him to return a call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the guy goes, never.
Speaker 4: Never had a phone, can't brother, I thought, can't be bothered. I love that one guy writing about clients. So was this like an when they established this thirteen thousand square mile was this an imminent domain thing? Did Brenda and green Bank get to say, I'm not so happy about this? Or was it imposed on people in a sense?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean any remote communities that doesn't have a whole lot going on economic wise would be thrilled to have this huge investment of federal dollars. But at the same time, when you're the person whose farm is getting paved over to build this new astronomy observatory and to have these new devices being erected in your out pasture or whatever, you're not going to be the most sprilled. So there were some cases of eminent domain being used to take farmers lands. The astronomy observatory it covers like, it's over two thousand acres in that patch of green Bank, West Virginia.
Speaker 4: So when we say a quiet zone, do we mean merely technologically quiet, or is it like no fireworks, no radios after ten o'clock. Is it really restricted in that way as well?
Speaker 6: No, it's not. It's only restricted in the radio noise sense. Radio noise which is given off by your microwave oven or are your smartphone, or even by starting up your gasoline car, which is why on the observatory itself, you're only supposed to have diesel engines beyond a certain point because they don't have a spark plug inside that's going to give off that radio wave. If you think about it, radio noise tends to be associated or to come with actual audible noise, like a big factory making a lot of noise is probably going to have a lot of radio pollution coming off of it as well, So it tends to be naturally quiet and radio quiet places I would go.
Speaker 3: So there's still a dog barking, see I've missed mesophonia, which means background.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: It's like, if I'm talking to you right now, I'm fine. But if there's a cadence of like scratching or my dog like walks around with his nails on the wooden floor, it drives me out of my mind.
Speaker 1: I can't control it. It's like.
Speaker 3: It's horrible, especially if there's a cadence to it. So I can't imagine in a quiet zone, if there's a like dogs walking around barking, do they tell the dog to shut up? Or it doesn't matter because it's not electromagnetic.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter if the dog has an electric blanket.
Speaker 5: That's malfunctioning.
Speaker 1: What is wrong with you? What does that mean?
Speaker 5: This?
Speaker 3: What is this condition? He's gonna need a Google time check that giggle on yeah, yeah, Google time check. Yeah I have If I have a disability, why are you laughing? Why is it funny?
Speaker 1: What is it? If your dog is walking around?
Speaker 3: You can't If I hear nooid, Lauren, If I'm sitting and talking in the front seat of the car to somebody and somebody's in the back of the car talking, I lose my mind. And I don't do it intentionally. It's not like Oh Lee's. It's that other noise is so disruptive that it drives It actually drives me, drives me.
Speaker 1: So if I do this, yeah, I'm going to kill yes.
Speaker 4: For the rest of this interview. You won't be able to focus, You won't be able to function. This is making you crazy. You can't even understand.
Speaker 3: Let me saying I can see the emails flying and now telling stations shut when you punch Jake, that sound I could do you.
Speaker 1: Punch show you thirty years. I never know this about you because you don't ask.
Speaker 3: But that's a whole other show, a concern for other people from a big star from Seinfeld.
Speaker 1: So I heard big star everything else, Like that's that's because you.
Speaker 3: Don't hear that offer big says, you don't hear that off.
Speaker 1: Oh he has me so phony.
Speaker 4: Do they have television in the in the in the quiet zone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're just clarifying some misnumbers, like there's there's internet in the quiet zone. It's not the land when the internet ends, it's just supposed to be, you know, plugged in internet. There's television. It's just supposed to be plugged in.
Speaker 4: And the ring so they can see, they can see run reruns a popular show.
Speaker 3: Oh here we go, here we go. So yes, you couldn't walk on me. They could stream if they needed to. They could stream a show. It wouldn't be wireless, but they would stream it on a hard wire. What are you trying to get at is even in the quiets Gorge George stands yet No.
Speaker 1: First of all, they can't yell it out. It's a quiet zone.
Speaker 4: They're allowed to yell no, nor yellow.
Speaker 1: George in the quiet zone. I'm going quiet.
Speaker 3: But let's get to it. So the people there limited limited tech. I mean, after looking at the book, there is some Wi Fi. There are people who don't adhere to the worlds even though you're supposed to do. You can get fined whatever. But by way, so there are people. So this is an area where supposedly there's no real available Wi Fi signals a tech, but people are gaming the system. Sometimes I can't get a Wi Fi signal with my house well, and I use a very prominent provider.
Speaker 1: Yes, how do they pull that off?
Speaker 3: It's still not ideal because you still have to use a desktop, et cetera. But give us an overview of these people about are they happier with face to face or are they doing face to face? Does it look like Maybury? There is everybody ever kno and board games? Are they all playing inside? And it's lotti dot I'm really happy because I'm not being judged online.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a great question because when you first go into the town. A lot of journalists have gone there and written articles about it.
Speaker 5: You do get that Mayberry feeling.
Speaker 6: There's some quaint general stores, and people say things like never had self service, never had Wi Fi, we don't miss it. But then the longer you stay there, you kind of start to see, oh, that family actually does have Wi Fi at their home.
Speaker 5: It's just kind of.
Speaker 6: Hidden in the closet, and they don't want to tell the Observatory about it because they don't want to get in trouble. Or you start, you know, kind of discovering this culture and this history of quirky characters who've been attracted to a super quiet place to kind of get away from the all so they can go just like the observatory, like the astronomers did. They wanted to go to a place where they were quiet, could get away from all the noise of society. There's lots of quirky characters who are out there who have been trying to get away from them all for various reasons.
Speaker 1: With face to face, do you see a difference.
Speaker 3: Is there an overall difference that people are a bit happier because the tech is limited.
Speaker 1: Let's put it that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was actually an Italian researcher who did a study where he interviewed a bunch of people around Pocahontas County. So Green Bank is in this county, which is the size of a island. It's a state of sized county called Pocahontas. They interviewed a bunch of people there and also in a neighboring county where it doesn't have these same quiet restrictions, and he found that people in the quiet zone do you report being measurably happier and they have less stress and they're less you know, freaked out, I guess by having their devices all the time. There was another researcher from the University of Illinois who went out there and he found whereas in popular culture we have this idea around dead zones, dead zones being places that are lifeless or it's kind of like a glitch in the matrix, it's this place that you want to avoid, these dead zones, but rather than it being a lifeless place, the quiet zone, it's actually full of people who are just more intentional about when they want to be online and offline, and they can kind of re seize control over this aspect of her lives that some many of us had lost because we're always teethered.
Speaker 1: It's interesting.
Speaker 3: I've read about a teenager who and they venture out, they go to visit friends who are not in the cuind zone, et cetera, and she has computers and all of that. She comes back and said, I really missed being outdoors and doing a lot of the stuff that I did at home in the quiet zone.
Speaker 1: She wasn't done enamored with it being outside. Being outside. Yeah, it was okay, and it's great. She went unlike a room springer, and she did.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the Amish only used different sex use it differently, but they use it for commerce rather than they leave it outside of the house.
Speaker 1: There's all kinds of rules.
Speaker 3: Because they don't want to be They don't want the community to be absorbed into the outside community. And oddly enough, a large percentage ofones could stay. So there must be something to that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a strong sense of community of knowing everybody there in Green Bay. In part that's because there's just not a whole lot of people there. So it's a Rhode Island sized county where there's only about eight thousand people. It's one of the most sparsely populated counties east of the Mississippi River, which makes.
Speaker 5: It a really quiet place.
Speaker 6: Naturally in a great place to have this radio astronomy observatory. That also means that you're going to start seeing the same people on a lot of the same events.
Speaker 4: So now all we've heard so far is that people go to this place, they say either they were there and they enjoy it and they stay, or they'll go there specifically for it. So is you've lived there, Peter reference to Mayberry. Is it all sunshine and light or is there like an under barrel lead to the Quiet Zone?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean it's not just radio scientists and NSSAY operatives who've been attracted to the Quiet Zone. There's been a whole host of like various groups over the decades, over the past half century that this place has been around, that have been attracted to this place.
Speaker 5: And not all of them have been the most savory characters.
Speaker 3: Oh really, well, listen to the Neo Nazi encampment there right.
Speaker 6: One of our country's most well known at one time, the pre eminent Neo Nazi formation of the National Alliance, which was founded by this guy named William Pierce who wrote the Turner Diaries, which has been a key motivating text for the far right.
Speaker 5: Timothy McVeigh actually had.
Speaker 6: That copy had the copy of that book in his getaway car from Oklahoma City after perpetuating that bombing there. So it's been a real motivating text. And he was operating out there from the quiet Zone just just south of Koream Bank for several decades.
Speaker 5: So you got neo Nazis out there. There's a strong back to.
Speaker 6: The lander hippie movement that has been attracted to this super quiet place. You can imagine they want to get away from culture and from the economy and to kind of live off the land, so they've been.
Speaker 5: Attracted to this place.
Speaker 6: A more recent is actually these people who believe they have something called electromagnetic hypersensitivity. You two are probably familiar with the show called Better Call Saul. Sure, Yeah, I remember the character Chuck McGill who he's yeah, yeah, he's made ill by Wi Fi, by sales service, by the lights.
Speaker 5: Inside the buildings that he goes inside. So there's many.
Speaker 6: People who believe they have this this illness, and one hundreds of them have gone out to Greenbank.
Speaker 1: So do you here's that is that a sister a misophone?
Speaker 3: Do be condescending which means talking down to So my question for you is this.
Speaker 1: You have all those people.
Speaker 3: Escaping the electromagnetic fields and cell phones and lights, and they're there. I had heard, first of all, somebody committed suicide there, shot herself in the head, right wall speeder who went there for that reason to get away. So that got some attention aside from hippies to hippies dying mysteriously there. So the town has some stuff going on, but the electromagnetic thing has never been proven medically. I looked that up. I heard that in the quiet zone. Now somebody got small, aren't in the real estate that they put out advertising saying, hey, escape the world of electromatic come here, and the real estate value started going up because it's like like Jimmy Buffett Land for seniors.
Speaker 1: Come here.
Speaker 3: We'll charge your premium because we have margat readers at five there they advertise.
Speaker 1: No I don't have come come to us. Here's what we don't have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't have beautiful don't computer there is, we don't have cell phones, we don't have pools. We have only one bathroom, we only have and there's no clubhouse, and we charge you more for that.
Speaker 1: Is that brilliant? It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: We provide nothing, and that's because you asked for it. That is that accurate that people are actually moving there and that the real estate has been inflated?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? Yeah.
Speaker 6: I talked to one of the biggest real estate agents there in the county and he said, yeah, we get a call pretty regularly from the electro sensitives or some people who say we want to grou sensitive.
Speaker 1: It's a group these things. Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they cater to that.
Speaker 6: So now like this is probably the only real estate agency in the in the world that actually has like a little icon or whatever on that property listing saying in the quiet zone.
Speaker 3: You know, if a family summarize this, what I'm thinking about, and I'm just getting this for the first time, is you got neo Nazis there, who I'm sure want to be away from interracial mixing. So they're there because it's predominantly white and law enform you threw that away. It's predominantly white, the quiet zone.
Speaker 5: It's I mean, it's an apalasia.
Speaker 3: I would assume I would assume, and that's why the Neo Nazis moved there. They're not going to move a place they go, Hey, let's go to a Benetton at a place where it's one.
Speaker 1: Of the Rodriguez family who can't go to the quiet zone.
Speaker 3: Yes, what I'm just saying, my observation is if the Neo Nazis moved there to get away from the iterator, Okay, then you got the people who want to get away from the lights and the Wi Fi signal, and then you get hippies who want to get away.
Speaker 4: It's really about escape. Hippies went on with the sixties. There's a new what he called, you called them hippies. He's not right about every.
Speaker 1: All right, you want to read those without quiet. He doesn't know it.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating that all these people go to a place to escape something, and yet it's really about what's internal. It's not about what's on the outside. Right, So these people, are they happier or do they get there and go wait a minute, I'm here now, but I'm really going it's an escape culture rather than a let's live life culture.
Speaker 1: It's kind of fascinating.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like that joke. No matter where I go there, I am right. If you're bringing something with you to the quiet zone, it's still going to be there when you go to the quiet zone.
Speaker 5: So if that's some kind of.
Speaker 6: Internal paranoia about people following you, or some kind of extreme paranoia about other races or dislike of other races, if it's the belief that you are being physically harmed by various things around you, that's still probably.
Speaker 5: Going to follow you into the quiet zone. And that's been the case.
Speaker 6: You mentioned the woman with a chess electromagnetic hypersensitivity who killed herself. Obviously she didn't find what she was looking for in the quiet zone. It wasn't quiet enough for her, even in the quietest place in America. So you have to wonder is there anywhere that would have been quite enough for her?
Speaker 3: She was as a Harvard and also a Wall Street I mean, this was a highly educated, really successful woman, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right, Yeah, yeah, she was. She went to Vasar College and then she went to Harvard Business School. She was like one of the earlier classes of women to graduate from Harvard Business School. And then she was like caring for disabled animals, rescuing cats and dogs, straight cats, and dogs in the Charlottesville area of Virginia until she herself felt disabled by this onset of electromenic persensitivity, and then she started going out to greenback.
Speaker 4: Steven, I know that that's not necessarily your particular area of research, but as far as just anecdotally, and this is a true thing. So I have carbal tunnel in my right hand, and I find when I touched my fingers to the screen of my phone, it triggers or I feel that it triggers the carpal tunnel. So so I don't know if that qualifies as electromagnetic whatever, but as far as you know is because Peter said anecdotally, this has never been proven to be a real thing.
Speaker 1: Anecdotally from your experiences, it seemed to be a real thing.
Speaker 4: Do most people who claim to suffer from that, who come to the quiet zone, do they improve?
Speaker 6: Generally, they say they improve, and sometimes they say they improve enough to where they can leave the quiet zone for either permanently or like going out and coming back in. I mean, I found anecdotally that the more I thought about electromagnetic sensitivity, and the more I was like looking into it, the more I started to wonder.
Speaker 5: If I had it.
Speaker 6: You know, there's a whole coincidences. I'd be working on my computer and a message might come through, and right at that moment, or right before the message came through, I man have like a weird feeling or like a pain or something.
Speaker 5: And then it's like, oh, were they connected somehow?
Speaker 6: Your brain starts making these fantastical leaves between this being the cause of this, and then when I stopped thinking about it, it didn't happen as much. It's like when you're obsessed with a certain number or a name or whatever, you start seeing that number everywhere.
Speaker 3: So Jason noticed. Jason made fun of me.
Speaker 1: But I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm to your stoneface for his little whatever illness or whatever thing.
Speaker 1: Mine is a physical thing, yours. This is a physical, imagined thing.
Speaker 4: So no, so Steve, I mean they created a whole zone for me. I don't hear the mesophonia phony. Oh you know, you know what, there's a whole there's a whole, thirteen thousand square mile place in America where people can't tap Laurie.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get emails from everybody who has meso phony.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sure it's a real thing. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: So oh, now see this is when he comes. And now I've got a call tonight and then maybe a small gift, and then we'll do it again. Then we'll bring it up again to make fun before we go. I don't know it'll be a gift. Are you still phoneless? Have you still maintained that life? Do you find it a better life?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I still don't have a cell phone. It's been it's been like twelve or three teen years now, I guess, and from everything I've experienced and read, I believe that my life is no worse and is in many ways better because I don't have a cell.
Speaker 3: You've missed at least three book deals. I guarantee it. Guaranteed. They couldn't get you on the phone. They said, if we can't get Stephen, the deadline.
Speaker 1: I don't know where he.
Speaker 3: Is linger on that for a second. He's joking. Maybe that's about well, Stephen, Thank you. Stephen is an award winning journalist. He's been in The New Yorker, the Economists. The book is The Quiet Zone, unraveling the mystery of the town suspended in Silence. And I don't know about technology, Steven seemcause he seemed happier than a normal human being, the regular person.
Speaker 1: He seem happier. He's the hair seems like it hasn't been.
Speaker 3: Looks like he had an electromagnetic incident with the hair.
Speaker 4: It doesn't seem I'm not one to judge people's hair, but I'm just saying I observe.
Speaker 1: But because you don't care what you think, No.
Speaker 4: He seems Listen, I'm looking at the forehead. It's either he's carefree head, there's botox.
Speaker 1: I don't know which.
Speaker 3: But he's got to look how many books he's got so a lot of Obviously he's a reader, reading rather.
Speaker 1: Than say, watching television shows.
Speaker 3: Well, how are you going to go back to the client zone ever to check it out and do an update or no?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. It's continually fascinating to me. I'm going to keep on tracking the creep in of noise that is happening in the clientsele. More and more people are getting cell phones and smartphones and Wi Fi what it.
Speaker 5: Used to be.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for being with us.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me guys, it's been great to speak with you.
Speaker 1: It's been fantastic. I'm going back to that again. It's going.
Speaker 3: We ended our interview with Stephen at the Quiet Zone, and apparently the takeaway is that people do appear happier what this episode. My take on this and the I'm gonna get your take is I'm doing everything wrong. It's always wrong. I'm using my computer too much, I'm on the phone too much.
Speaker 1: Give this up. It's like mindfulness.
Speaker 3: It used to be mindfulness where you gave up the Buddhists, you give up your ego, and you give up your possessions. This is for profit for somebody, like the MC mindfulness movement is like a good example to Marie Condo. My wife is like going around the house saying, I love your shirt, goodbye, I love you desks that goodbye.
Speaker 1: I'm going what are you doing? First of all, that's not right. It's supposed to be does this bring me joy?
Speaker 4: If the answer is yes, you keep it.
Speaker 3: Apparently a lot of my stuff in the house did not give her joy, So she's thrown out my crap. My sense is in a couple of years from now, they're gonna find all my crap in Recondo's basement. There's gonna be a big house sale, and she's full of it. So I said to my wife at the time, still my wife. Yeah, I was gonna say class at the time. I said to my yeah, wait, wow, that could have cost you money. Yeah, So I said to my if you know what, she's full of it. She's going to have a store selling product she should never never, not Marine condo. She's about giving stuff away six months in the Marie Condo stores. Get rid of your crap to make room for my crap. And now she had a baby, another baby, like I think her third, and she's saying my house is a mess, and it's okay because I'm doing so again mcmindfulness. I should give up my stuff, I should give up the phone for this amount our hour nonsense. I like chaos, I like noise. I like to be part of insanity.
Speaker 1: So I'm not giving I'm not giving up. If I tap my pen, not that kind of my head explode. What do you mean? You like noise?
Speaker 3: Not that kind of noise. But I like I like chaos, I like the phone going off, I love emails. I want to be part of that. I'm not giving that up. I think it's that movement to be better, to find your true self, and your true self means less social media.
Speaker 4: That's your pursue, all right. I have many responses to you. First, first and foremost, MS Condo if you're listening. His name is Peter Tilden. I enjoyed your book, I enjoyed your podcast, I enjoyed your your programming. And I believe in the system that you have created. I think it's wonderful. My partner has some issues. So if there's any legality to be sought here, his name is Peter Tilden.
Speaker 1: Say you throw Mario Marie Kondo out.
Speaker 3: You want me to show you the article that I just pulled. It said her house is meant right, Lauri, her house is messy. Now she admits that her house is messy. If you ride that, you just where the sales product. That's where it went from.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, this will all be cut out, all be cut out.
Speaker 3: What did I say that was legally jeopardize us? Thanks right for pointing it out, by the way, Yeah, it may not be a legal jeopardy.
Speaker 1: It was it was. It was. It was.
Speaker 4: It was condescending, which means to talk down. So here in mind telling me that here's my take on the whole. Let me ask you a question. First of all, at the end of every week. I didn't answer this, but a message comes up at the end of every week saying your stream use for the week is up or down from the week right for it?
Speaker 1: Does that happen to you? What is your emotional res such as singles you out to do that? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know everybody, I don't know your business. What when you What is your emotional reaction to hearing that it went up or down?
Speaker 3: I don't even care because you don't care seriously, and are you going to alter your Oh wow, I'm an hour up?
Speaker 1: Who years I get I'm embarrassed when mine goes up?
Speaker 4: I go, I'm I feel like I'm I'm wasting my life.
Speaker 1: What have I done? There's no thing I'm doing on the script other my computer is one thing?
Speaker 3: My boy, So what have you changed? But what have you changed now that you're not active?
Speaker 4: When that happens, I go, I actively go. Okay, I can't use this app as much this week. I can't use that app as much this week. What I'm saying is, I don't need to go to a quiet zone. I don't need to have rules imposed on me. I can self regulate myself.
Speaker 3: You're an amazing I can let me if I don't want to use my cell phone.
Speaker 4: I don't need to be like White Steven. I don't need to throw it away. I put it down, I walk away. The fact that it's next to me right now is not indicative of anything.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, I don't know if we have a remote Do you ever remember remote camera, Laurie or anything? Look at the table here, mister, I can give up stuff. Has a cell phone a foot from his elbow. Mine is nowhere to be found, So that.
Speaker 1: Kind of nowhere to be found.
Speaker 4: If I frisk you right now, I'm not going to find your cell phone on you.
Speaker 1: No, I don't really want it. I was just asking the hypothetic. I haven't been touched in a wall.
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 4: My Next thing I want to know is when I because this caught me? Since when do neo Nazis want to be quiet? Aren't they like propagandizing? Aren't they Don't they have these next them on the four chans or eight chans or twelve chans or whatever chan they're on.
Speaker 1: Aren't they always put it? Or is it just I think he moved there a while ago.
Speaker 3: I think this was Steven moved there only, but he said there's a there's a whole group. I don't know that it's still I don't know it's still there, but I guess I think they liked it because it was in the middle of nowhere and they're not scrutinized.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just think I don't understand it.
Speaker 4: I didn't understand, and I also don't understand if I may seems like a very nice guy.
Speaker 1: I liked him.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed the conversation. Guy doesn't have a cell phone, Guy isn't wired in anything comes, guy lives in the quiet zone, writes a book. When's he doing He's on a podcast, on television, on radio, on streaming, hawking the book on all the things that people deal with in a in a unwired way. That's where he's promoting the Oh see, if you unplug and unwire, read my book and I'll promote this thing. Do you hear any sort of I don't want to use the word hypocritical.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it applies.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure, but I'm just saying it struck me a little odd.
Speaker 1: Guys, that's where the man would promote.
Speaker 5: I'm still here. I hear this.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean him.
Speaker 4: I meant the hippies, right, the hippies from the sixth meant that they're the ones.
Speaker 1: It's not Stevens. Stephen doesn't. That wouldn't be Steve. I don't think he's mine.
Speaker 5: Should I him there? All? Right? What do I go?
Speaker 1: What's he gonna do? Call me names on a not plugged in machine? That's right.
Speaker 3: He would never know. He wouldn't ask like the homage. Well, thank you for being Stevens. Thank you for being with us against Stephen's book word winging journalists, the Quiet Zone or unraveling the Mystery of the Council.
Speaker 1: Would you live there? How long would you last there? Seriously? How long would you?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: You know what's funny and in all honesty? Yeah, like people go, you're so hyper, you're neurotic. Yeah, you go in a vaca. You can never know, you have no intention A day or two on vacation. If I'm really away, yeah, second day, I don't care if somebody daughter said to be dead. When I get back home, I can completely unplug.
Speaker 1: I honest to god, I traveled.
Speaker 3: Do you want to do something called the contest? Does that ring a bell?
Speaker 1: Oh? Sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See who can do without their phone the longest? Without their phone? Without their phone for the longest.
Speaker 4: I'm going to lose, you know why, because of the two of us, who probably.
Speaker 1: Has more business calls and emails to dealing up in meet Google Home? Did we do anything to see you?
Speaker 3: I probably lost? So you're throw in a towel already. Anything that we missed today, mister Google heim or that needs to be corrected?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yes, of course of first, yeah.
Speaker 7: Well I wanted to get in on the misoponia that you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I can't wait to hear that.
Speaker 7: People with mesoponia are affected emotionally by common sounds that can make them angry and have other sorts of feelings.
Speaker 1: These sounds could be breathing, yawning, chewing.
Speaker 7: Now, I'm not a doctor, although I could play one online. It also could be something called hyper accusives, which makes everyday sounds them much louder than they should.
Speaker 1: So for neither have decided.
Speaker 4: So yes, if I hear a baby cry, that is a thing, and nails on a chalkboard, that's a thing. Emotionally, I understand it. Rain it will be a positive emotion. He's talking about if the dog is walking across the floor.
Speaker 1: He can't. He can't put it, get it together. That's gonna sound him. He can't get it together because that's like mesophonia or the or the hyper thing that you described, or is it just Peter. Well, I'm sure it's just Peter.
Speaker 7: But hypercutes people suffer from hypercuses can't be affected by a barking dog.
Speaker 4: A bar and a barking dog, yes, sure those are Those can be highly annoying sounds. But click click, click click to be in the newstonolium for ten seconds.
Speaker 3: You know what else is currently getting to be an annoying center?
Speaker 1: What else you got from?
Speaker 7: But also, Jason, I'm not done diagnosing Peter yet.
Speaker 1: Yes, limty of things that he made. Oh you're not. You're not kidding, brother.
Speaker 7: He might have phonophobia, which is also called sono, which is makes some sounds, especially louder sounds, make you fearful or anxious.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if that doesn't that doesn't sound. It's just rhythmic sounds in the background. They have a cadenced and driving crazy.
Speaker 1: I think that's anybody else has anybody he has He's not Look what no you don't do she does.
Speaker 4: He plays, Please, he's on.
Speaker 1: He's public service. Here.
Speaker 3: Before you get involved in a business or anything with anybody, vet the background, really care, really go deep before you have an association.
Speaker 1: It's legal. What what what a spersion? Are you? Her judgment? Much more judgment?
Speaker 4: Do you want to believe that the sound of your dog's nails clicking and klus anoliu for ten seconds is the reason you can't focus or hold it together?
Speaker 1: God bless you. I support you. Put him up to him up to I don't listen.
Speaker 4: He's nodding to you because you have to say you really have the same thing he's paid to.
Speaker 1: No, he's not, he's not.
Speaker 3: Come here, Come here, come here, come here. Tell Jason or can you go on Mike? Can you say yeah, okay, so tell Jason.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It's it's unbearable, unbearable. If someone's tapping.
Speaker 4: If someone's taps, unbearable, unbearable, and you focus on that instead of the person talking.
Speaker 1: You just found a new partner for the Really Really podcast.
Speaker 3: You know what's really funny. It was just I just thought about calls. When he said tapping for our school, we did a benefit and the benefit was the world's best tap tap dancers, three of them.
Speaker 1: So I thought you couldn't.
Speaker 4: I was gonna put my no, wait a minute, seriously, if you so, if you're watching the tap dancers, you know that's the thing you're supposed to be even that, so it doesn't matter if it's back rhythmic.
Speaker 3: Usually it's background. But constant tapping like a drum solo is fine. But that kind of tapping. I don't understand tap dancing to begin with. That you go to school to learn. I can't tell bad from good tap dancing, and then you have to buy the shoes and you have to go every Thursday. And anybody who's out there with kids are tap dancing. God blessed.
Speaker 4: I just that was the first kind of can you tap innt? I was better when I was younger. But I can show us.
Speaker 3: Can we get a camera and Jason speaking with my sneakers on the rugs? You want to see how you do it? I want to see how good you are. No, and everybody does the same line the seal. They do the stuff, the front stuff, and then you do the side stuff. We're going it's like the same routine.
Speaker 4: No, they're not, have you ever seen like Gregory Huh Hines Savings Book, Okay, Sandman slide that night, that night, Charles Honey Coles.
Speaker 1: These are wow.
Speaker 3: These you go deep. You know who's that night? Who tamped ins at night? Who Gregory Hines and Saving over. Yeah, even though they're the best lem by the time, it's the third guy doing it, it's a little bit run.
Speaker 4: You know what the if those two were the starters, I would not want to be guy number three because we got at a route.
Speaker 1: You got anything else? Google before we go? I do not.
Speaker 3: Is it just just third casting excursions on my mess So listen, what do you say you want to go?
Speaker 4: Should we go to Green Bank, West Virginia and see what it's like you want to go?
Speaker 1: Is that in your next vacation spot?
Speaker 3: And we go together for your COVID We want to go somewhere for my birthday for COVID.
Speaker 4: There's eight thousand people in thirteen. I'm just saying, this is the safest COVID zone in America.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's let's say we're going to go be a We're going next week live from Greek Thank you, Laura, Come in for a second, Come in for a second. I just want Lauria to be involved in this from thee.
Speaker 1: Can we take Laurie when we go to the quiet zone.
Speaker 3: Laurie on a scale of one to ten, how mean was Jason to me with the misofonia?
Speaker 1: And be honest, you are me there? Thank you.
Speaker 8: It is a very real thing. So you have to be very careful with some people. My friend, if you slurp soup, yeah, goes nuts. If there's a she'll go insane in a restaurant. She has to be seated away. And she loves she's going to Tokyo. She loves you walk around the stone, Yeah, things like that.
Speaker 1: A lot of slurping is yeah, a lot of slipping.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So is this where the water torture thing comes in? Is the dripping?
Speaker 3: That sound of dripping, well, dude, if there's if there's a dripping, aust I lose Lily and I can't control it. I don't want to not funny. I'm so glad that you said that. I want to do an episode on mesoponia. Can I say, who has face blindness?
Speaker 1: Sure? You're my wone for his wife, I say, Brad, not severe?
Speaker 3: But but and then Jason introduced me to a guy who had face blindness, who doesn't remember he sees you and then he has no idea. It's you the next time, which sounds like a BS thing, but it's really.
Speaker 4: Now right up there, and you know with the home means it funny.
Speaker 1: I think that I for our show, I make fun of you. Now I'll take it. This is the this is the Don Rickles. But Who's I'm a nice god? This is he kills everybody's.
Speaker 3: Misogynistic races that it's but I'm a nice No, I actually and I think I actually knew that.
Speaker 4: You know that I adore you, and I know you have many things that I always make fun of you because that's what we do.
Speaker 1: We make fun of each other.
Speaker 4: I know you make fun of my height, my hair, my stomach, my my failed career, my should I keep going funny to give god.
Speaker 3: Next episode, we'll see it. We don't know what it is, but what's the difference. It'll be marginally good.
Speaker 1: This has been really really jas really no really Now really For more really No Really, go to really no Really dot com.
Speaker 7: We're also on Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok at really No Really podcasts. We released new episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Really No, Really is a production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment