Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up.
Speaker 2: The knuckles ahead.
Speaker 1: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Where he's gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker like a torpedo. He came flying into the back field.
Speaker 3: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm, And by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 2: The Red Seeds rising Up, temperaturizing vision, flurring rage, take it over.
Speaker 3: Here's Paul Calvis.
Speaker 4: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you abready. And Ron Wolfleep, it doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 2: Leash the fjord.
Speaker 4: Hey, if you can't trust NFL dot com, Wolf, who can you trust?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 4: Well, sort of here we go. You know what they wrote about tonight's guest about the Cardinals Round two pick our very special guest. Here's what they wrote, and I quote will predict that the high character edge Bendy Oglari will outperform rushers picked ahead of him. End quote. We're talking about the likes of Will Anderson and Tyree Wilson and Lucas van Ness and Will McDonald dot dot dot Well, that's again according to NFL dot com. We'll ask our own questions of the Cardinals round two pick number forty one overall on this very special edition of The Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert. We are Santan Ford, Paul calvic Here, Ron wolf Ley there.
Speaker 1: You know, Paul, because of the opportunity, of course, I think the first two picks in the Arizona Cardinals twenty twenty three draft really will contribute an awful lot this season. I think Paris Johnson Junior, of course, especially at left guard. I think that's where they're gonna start him off, and I think that's where he's gonna be until maybe somebody gets hurt or goes down at some point that could change everything. But I think he's going to see an awful lot of action. And I think Bjoglari as well is going to see a lot of action. Those two guys, I think are going to be able to contribute their rookie year. How much into what degree, I don't know, you know, what.
Speaker 4: I want to see. I want to see those two going against each other mana wemano O line D line drills in camp in August, sort of like once upon a time.
Speaker 1: D J.
Speaker 4: Humprey's got a lot better going against Chandler Jones. I want to see that as a regular thing. B Joe Glari against Paris Johnson Junior. We'll ask him about that. Well, you know what else, We're gonna ask him which QB he wants to sack the most in the NFL, because a year ago at this time, mi Ja Sanders answered that question immediately and he said Tom Brady. So we'll ask b Joe Gelori about that. Why he whar's the number eighteen? What sort of legacy that has with LSU And he also has royalty in his family tree. We're going to get into that as well. But off the top, here we go.
Speaker 2: Wolf.
Speaker 4: They had the rookie mini camp speaking of Paris Johnson Junior in bj Ojelori and the question of Jonathan Gannon here this time of year is okay, how much exactly are you going to throw at the rookies?
Speaker 5: We treat him like pros, you know, and they're gonna have to get caught up, and they know that, you know, every guy's a little bit different how you install, on how you teach and what they can handle. So we're kind of just figuring that out first time with you know, being in the building and being in meetings with him things like that. So, but they know that the pace is going to go. The pace is the pace. So they got to get caught up and submerge with the vets and get caught up pretty quick.
Speaker 4: And if you don't keep up, Wolf, then really you have no chance, right because I mean, the coaches first and foremost have to be able to trust you in the scheme, in the playbook.
Speaker 1: Just Bully. The more things change in the NFL, the more they stay the same. And that is certainly the case when you're talking about a rookie coming into the National Football League, and what a shock it truly is. All the different schemes, the complexity of the schemes, of course, and it's a different game from college. You've heard me talk about this for years, Bully, but it really is the truth. The only analogy that suffices. For the most part, College football is a game of checkers, where the NFL is a game of chess. It truly is much more strategic, much more complex. You've got to apply yourself, You've got to work at your job when you're a rookie trying to learn these schemes, because Paulie, think about it, If you don't know what to do, what chance do you really have? Even if you think, Paulie, even if you think like I think I know what I'm doing on this, you want to be convicted. You want to be sure that you know what you're doing in it, not just guessing at whether you're doing the right thing. But if you can't, if you can't conceptualize it, you're not going to be able to execute it.
Speaker 4: Because not only do you have to know your assignment and know it cold, but guess what, you have to know it when going against Oh, I don't know the Kyle Shanahan's of the world, right, the Sean mcgaye of the world. And what do they try and do They try and confuse you. They try and make you a half step slow by showing you various things that make you think before you react. And to your point, there's no worse way to look slow on a football field than if you're thinking instead of playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pauline, not only that too, stop and think about this. There are a lot of different responsibilities that you might have on one given call. One call, but based on how they come out to the personnel group, the formation they're in, and the play they actually run, it might change your assignment, paul So not only do you need to know what you're doing on the play call, you also need to know the five or six or seven adjustments that come off it.
Speaker 4: So like, for example, you know what I think of when you talk about all that. I think of the Cardinals signing Kaizer White. I think of bringing in a guy who knows Gannon's defense. Yeah, has run it for several years. I'm guessing they're gonna give him the green dot. That was Zamon Collins, an outside linebacker. And guess what, trust your eyes, he's an outside linebacker until we see differently, if Kayzer White is calling this defense, well that makes a lot of sense. He is the quarterback of the D. He's the guy who knows Gannon's defensive playbook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, PAULI, No, I think you're right about that. Again. Zavan Collins, he's going to be an outside linebacker. They're going to put him on the edge. I really do see this. I could see the Philadelphia Eagles defense being here where they covered the interior three offensive lineman right to the center and both guards. They covered him with three techniques right there and then had two edge guys and then one line that being Kaiser White behind that. It was a six man box, but it was a different construction of that six man box for the most part. I could see that being a base defense for this team going forward. Right.
Speaker 4: Jonathan Gannon was also asked about positional flexibility on guys learning multiple positions. You know the old pair and a spare. Well, here's JG on that.
Speaker 5: You know, our guys understand the value of playing multiple spots. You know, I got trained at a young age a pair and a spare. You always got to have different guys be able to play different spots, and ultimately you're trying to do what's best for the team and for the best for the player too. So we got a long time to figure that out, but that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Where do you think Isaiah Simmons is going to play? I ask, almost rhetorically, this is almost a weekly question. Do you what would the edge really?
Speaker 1: I think once again, that's zab and Collins and that's Isaiah Simmons. You're two inside guys. I could see them being the edge, Paul. That's where I and again it's I think JG is talking about not moving Isaiah Simmons all over the place. I could be wrong on that, poly but I think he's talking more about a player being willing to be moved and it goes somewhere and to try to help the team. That's what I think he's talking about. And if he is, if I'm correct on that, I think he's talking about Zaban Collins and Isaiah Simmons doing what they need to do to maybe take that next step in their careers.
Speaker 4: Because if you look at the safety depth on this depth chart right now, there's not a lot behind a Buddha Baker and a Jalen Thompson right so I could theoretically see Isaiah Simmons in the safety room. Again. Now, as of right now, moments ago I checked the Cardinals website, he's still listed it as an inside linebacker. Now that's just a regular roster, that's not a jet chart, you know, installed by the team or anything or the coaches. That is I bring this up also becau. Did you see what dan Quinn said this week about Micah Parsons. Micah Parsons had tweeted out within the last week that he's using the offseason to bulk up, gained some weight, and to prepare for a full time pass rusher role. Now dan Quinn sort of shot that down a little bit with the media because he was asked about that when he met the media instead of Mike McCarthy was out getting like back surgery or something, so the media was all over him and he called him dan Quinn Michael Parsons quote a pass rushing linebacker, and I immediately immediately thought of Isaiah Simmons. The question is, could an Isaiah Simmons, in your opinion, maybe bulk up a little bit to be more equipped for the edge and to hold the point against the run.
Speaker 1: Perhaps, Yeah, he could, PAULI, there's no doubt he could. But you know, I don't really know how much he's got to bulk up on that one. I really don't. Now we're gonna get a first hand look, obviously, we're gonna see if he's going to be able to do that, But a lot of setting the edge, Paul is really coming from the inside. It's more like setting your soul, if you know what I mean, set the edge by set your soul and make sure you're being stiff at the point of attack and you are setting that edge. I think Isaiah Simmons once he knows exactly and this is the reason why PAULI I continue to talk about this, but why I would leave him at one position. You need to know what is expected of you in every situation, against every offense, against every formation, against every personnel group. You need to know what is expected of you on every play that you're gonna call. And that is the reason why you can demand from a player right do your job because you know what it is you have to do. But when you start moving guys all over the place, now it becomes cloudy.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to go full circle in this segment. NFL dot Com today, as I go back to the NFL website, they have a story thirty two teams thirty two needs is the headline top remaining offseason priority for each team? What do you think they listed for the Cardinals to Well, did you read the article? Yeah, they listed they listed get what you can for d hop immediately to which I totally disagree, because you know, some team's going to get to training camp and realize that the rookie receiver they drafted ain't all that in a bag of chips, and maybe we should get something in someone who's proven so wide receiver. All right, So here's a discovery report on bg O Jalari. His ability to bend the edge makes him the best prospect in the class in this area. Hello, we're going to talk to the Cardinals round two rookie pass rusher. As we continue with a big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford.
Speaker 6: With the forty first pick and the twenty twenty three draft, the Arizona Cardinals select bj Old Jelori linebacker lsu.
Speaker 7: I love what Ojai can do in the pass and run game. I think he's a very natural pass rusher. You can see his bend coming off the edge with speed.
Speaker 8: He can beat you his speed.
Speaker 7: He's very fluid and natural with his counter rushes. And then on top of that, he can stick a long arm in there and moves off his long arm. So as far as his rush ability, very versatile, very natural. And then I love the tools that he has in the run game.
Speaker 4: His new Cardinals defensive coordinator Nick Rowlis on the Cardinals New edge guy, the new weapon getting after the quarterback. And we'll get to the fact that, yes, that was the voice of Cardinals Hall of Famer, a legend, the Ring of Honor guy a Nias Williams, a Louisiana guy by the way. But we love to speak the language of pass rushing here on the Big Red Rig. Okay, I mean, you know, getting after the quarterback. I know Jonathan Gannon is fond of the phrase rush and crush. There's a dip and rip that's a good one. Bend the edge, like you know, some of my favorite football terms are when it comes to pass rushing. You know you're here, They're the you know, speed to power and then you hear Nick rallis the long arm stab. And it's even better when we're talking with bj Ojealari himself, the Cardinals new pass rusher here on the Big Red Rage, BJ, how we doing.
Speaker 8: I'm doing great?
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 8: You definitely cover pass rap perfectly right there.
Speaker 4: What do you what's your favorite term when it comes to pass rushing? You know, I mean, is there anything that stands out. When you're talking about the art of getting after the quarterback, what do you like to talk about the most.
Speaker 9: Really diffing and Riven being the guy off the edge. That's one of my favorite things to do. Like you said, pass rushers are and that's where I think I can display my best talents right there.
Speaker 4: So we heard the moment right where your name was called. And when you go back to the TV copy, and I love the fam cam right because you were right at you were like at the epicenter of a v right. Yeah, you're a family there left all of the right. And then when you go to the phone call in the war room from Manti Austin for the GM, you couldn't even hear him. What was that like? It was like bedlam in your house?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was. I was so in shock.
Speaker 9: Everyone else was so excited, and I'm just there, almost frozen.
Speaker 8: I'm trying to listen to the call.
Speaker 9: I'm trying to respond say yes, sir, you know it was just a moment, he said, just you know, enjoyed his moment with your family.
Speaker 8: We're gonna call you back because he is.
Speaker 4: A moment you had been working and striving for for probably over a decade, right, I mean that's the moment where I'm guessing a lifelong dream is realized.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, most definitely. That's why it's just so shocking that the time actually came. You know, it's like once you're eight years old, now now it's time to get drafted. So it's a definitely a great process and a great moment is just to take in.
Speaker 4: What's it been like ever since? Has it been a blur? Have had things slowed down a little bit for you? Yeah, it's been a blur.
Speaker 9: Like after you know, two three days after the draft, things are starting to slow down.
Speaker 8: We're Arizona.
Speaker 9: Now we're with the team, with the coaches, so things are starting to slow down, start to be more clear, getting to know the Vets in the locker room.
Speaker 8: So it's definitely getting to slow down. And it makes sense now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you went from rookie mini camp and we're on board with bj O Gilardi the Cardinals second round pick number forty one. Overall the Vets show up. Did the compete level go up a notch or two when those guys showed up?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's definitely a competitive environment, but all of them are taking me under their wing. All the guys in the alshide linebacker groom are doing a great job, you know, just teaching me the rope, teaching me how it is to you know, come into the NFL. What I have to do, you know, to stay in the NFL and contribute to this team.
Speaker 4: Because you heard from Cam Thomas and my j Sanders right off the bat, didn't you, Yes, sir? And what sort of I don't know, what sort of friendly advice are you getting because those guys just went through the rookie process themselves. What are you hearing from some of the guys who have been there and done that?
Speaker 9: Really just getting that playbook, Understand the defense, understand the calls, understand what's asked of me, being able to diagnose plays formations, getting in on special teams as well, being able to contribute on there, and you know, accent doing everything the coach acts of me.
Speaker 4: So all we've seen to you was rookie minniicamp right the media that is, and and you were the only guy out there in your position group for the most part. So what sort of scouter report would you give on yourself?
Speaker 9: So for myself, you know, coming into the NFL, definitely a guy who's the natural pass rusher can bend as you speed to power. Great speed rushes can also understand drops, getting into drops and zones and be used in coverage as well. Definitely great movement along the line to create you know, TFLs and really just a high motor player.
Speaker 4: Was there anything that well, come on, now, there's got to be right. Every player who's coming after the draft, you know, overall time have said, you know what, there are things about my scottery report I heard from the mel Kiper's and Todd mcshay's of the world that irritated me. What were some of the things that maybe were out there that you know, you maybe didn't agree with or maybe it's gonna stick with you through your playing career.
Speaker 9: Yeah, just not being able to play the run. You know a lot of people said I wasn't able to play the run. I think in college I definitely been at an upward progression of playing a run. This last year, I think I put on the weight with striking blocks, sends, hard, good edges. So that's something that I think that I did good. But I can definitely improve on everything in my game.
Speaker 4: When you were at LSU, you wore number eighteen. Right, we're packed twelve country out here. So tell us about the significance of earning the honor of wearing eighteen. What does that mean within the LSU legacy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, eighteen is a coveted number, is given to the best all around player on and.
Speaker 8: Off the field.
Speaker 9: It really just speaks to testimentier leadership, the way you handle yourself, your character, your academics as well, and just the whole package. Just a great example for the you guys, and you're the one who's the face of the team. You're represented the state of Louisiana and your whole team. So it's definitely a blessing and a great for your legacy, just to be able to represent all the number eighteens that came before me. So how cool was it that eighteen's available for the Cardinals. Yeah, it's a blessing just to be able to carry on that tradition. Eighteen is a special number to me, special to Louisiana LSU. So it's definitely, you know, something that I was blessed and I'm very grateful for the Arizona Cardinals to let me work.
Speaker 8: I'm eighteen And.
Speaker 4: For those who haven't seen it, you go to bg O Jilard's Twitter page. In the background is number fifty six Lawrence Taylor with the New York Giants. That was pretty cool to see. I mean, tell us about that. Does that anything to do with the fact that your brother plays for the Giants or were you already a fan before your brother was drafted a couple of years ago.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was already a fan.
Speaker 9: I remember I was probably in middle school, high school, and I saw Lawrence Taylor of Football Life on NFL Network, and I just immediately had a gravitation to the way he played, his dominance and just you know, everything he stood for on the field. So I just wanted to put that as my banner, just to you know, what I represent on the field and what I can bring in the pass.
Speaker 8: Us and just a dominance in the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard to find a bigger force than Lawrence Taylor. Our co host and the show run woefully battled him twice a year. Okay, off the edge I had to try and block Lawrence Taylor and all the guys who I mean, just the reverence the former players talk about in trying to go after Lawrence Taylor, and the key they say was just don't make them mad, because if he did, you were doomed. That's basically the way it went. Now, your brother a ZZ plays for the Giants. How instrumental has he been in your career maybe taking this next step from college to the pros.
Speaker 9: Very you know, he's the blueprint looking up to him, seeing what he had to do to get to this level that we're both at now. So he basically just laid the foundation for me to follow and just one day exceed.
Speaker 4: He said, what thirteen and a half sacks his first two years. He's had a great start to his NFL career. What was it like growing up? I mean, how much rough housing was there in theo jel Are household? How many lamps did you guys break when you were kids.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was a lot of rough housing, a lot of broken lamps, tables, chairs, But you know, I just think it made us, you know, closer together, had a better bond, you know, growing up. That's one of my best friends now, so it's definitely great to have him in my life.
Speaker 4: No, that's great here, and you went to LSU in part because he went to Georgia, right, weren't you trying to sort of carve your own niche.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely, I was trying to, you know, go on my own path, carve my own legacy. LSU was the best choice for me. He supported that decision. He wanted me to come to Georgia, but you know, I just had different plans and different aspirations.
Speaker 4: How do you like to be coached? I read where one of the questions that players will get at the combine is in those fifteen minute speed dating interviews the Laska player. You know, how do you want to be coached? How can we get the best out of you? What would your answer be to that?
Speaker 9: I think I'm very able. I can adapt to any style of coaching. In my opinion, I definitely like to be taught be able to relay the information and translate it to the field. But I think I'm very versatile and understanding what the coaching points are and how the coaching style is to be able to maximize my opportunity and maximize my play.
Speaker 4: Some of these Skunn reports say you'd like to use a hesitation move to set up the offensive lineman. Is that accurate? And is there anything else that's maybe sort of signature about your game or specific to you?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I definitely use hesitations, you know, fakes flashes, just to give different looks, you know, stop offensive lineman feet, you know, just anything to help me get the edge.
Speaker 1: Mi J.
Speaker 4: Sanders said in here a year ago about this exact time, and I said, give me the name of a quarterback you would really like to sack in the NFL. I didn't even finish this sentence. BJ and he's he's he boarded out Tom Brady, okay, and he gets he got to play against Tom Brady last year. Is there an NFL quarterback? Oh man, it would be meaningful for you to take down.
Speaker 9: Uh yeah, there's a lot of quarterbacks really. Of course not my number one would have been Tom Brady as well. But you know, you always want to sack the greats, one of the best in the league, the Joe Burrows, the Josh Allens, Jalen Hers and of course Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that would be cool, no doubt. B jo Jelai, our guest on The Big Red Rage presenter by Santan Ford and Gilbert. How about the fact that you have Will Anderson already being told that he's gonna have his hand in the dirt with Houston they're changing things up for him. How do you think you'll be used in this Nick Rawles defense.
Speaker 9: I think I'm gonna be more of a stand up sam jack outside linebacker role, just be able to use me in space, use my versatility to help contribute to the defense.
Speaker 4: How much you think you're gonna follow the will Andersons, the Tyree Wilson's, you know, Lucas fan s, Will McDonald, all those guys who went in Round one. How much you think you'll follow that mean? How much I does it fire you up? Maybe since you went the top around two.
Speaker 9: H Yeah, it's definitely those guys. We all trained together, so they're good friends of mine. You know, I'm wishing the best for them. But it's definitely gonna be a competition not with just them, but everyone around the league. All the best pass rushers in the league. Is gonna be a competition with them, my brother as well. So it's gonna be a great season just to be able to compete with, you know, my teammates and all the other rushers in the league.
Speaker 4: Because the stat that stands out to us that since twenty twenty, according to Pro Football Focus, you had one hundred and twenty six quarterback pressures and that was second only to Will Anderson. Some have called you underrated in falling to the top round two. What do you think?
Speaker 9: I'll definitely say that's kind of accurate in my opinion, but I'm gonna play to my value. I think I should have, you know, probably went a little higher, but I'm definitely still gonna play to that value. And you know, I just and so appreciate of the Arizona Cornals giving me opportunity, and I just want to be able to maximize that and give them everything I have.
Speaker 4: If an Arizona treated you so far, have you seen a scorpion or a rattlesnake or anything yet?
Speaker 9: Nah, I haven't seen none of that, and I you know, I hope not to see none of that.
Speaker 4: How about the heat versus Louisiana? What do you what do you think so far?
Speaker 9: You know, it's hard to say because they're saying Arizona gets in the one twenties when eighteen, So.
Speaker 4: At the worst, at the worst, that'll be the worst. That'll that'll be when everything bottoms out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, So you know Louisiana is real humid. You know, you can you can almost cut the air, it's hard to breathe. So, but one twenty is still one twenties, so I'm gonna see how how that compares.
Speaker 4: So when you google you up, bjo Jolai, we notice that there's royalty in your family tree that if I'm reading this right, you're the grandson of a Nigerian prince, descendant of a king. Tell us about that.
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So my grandfather on my mother's side, his name is twenty seven seven. He's a he's a set of seven twins.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 9: He's very known in Nigeria back at home, a great artist. This musician traveled the world performing. Uh he still has arts and you know, certain museums and stuff like that. But yeah, he was very well known, very recognized. So that's another thing. Very prideful family and just being able to represent, you know, the last name of of my mom's family and my father's family.
Speaker 4: That's outstanding. Can you play an instrument yourself or can you draw?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 9: All the all the artistic and music side went to my sisters. We just played ball.
Speaker 4: What are you most curious about in the NFL BJ, I mean, what do you really want? I mean, you're not probaly gonna be able to fight out until game day. But what do you want to know about this league that you haven't found out yet?
Speaker 9: I just I just want to know what it feels like to be on the mountaintop, to win a super Bowl, to compete with the best, to be considered one of the best. That's really what it is for me, building my legacy to hopefully become one of the best, one of the coveted players in the league.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what we look forward to seeing you against Paris Johnson Junior in camp. I have a feeling that Iron's gonna sharpen iron, that you guys are gonna make each other better. Yes, sir, that's gonna be some good stuff. Well, look from Death Valley to the Valley of the Sun. Welcome, Welcome to the Arizona Cardinals. It was great to have you. Thanks Pja, thank you. All Right, there you go talking a little pass rushing there with a Cardinal's second round pick. We'll continue with this edition of the Big Red Rage, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are santan.
Speaker 2: Ford Tune end zone. Got it back there, touchdown.
Speaker 3: The Carter two looking along for the tank heat the room inside of.
Speaker 2: The ten first in gold Tune. Look at first fifth touchdown pass? Does he have it? Does he have it? You bet he does.
Speaker 4: The Cougars get another one from their star quarterback, Clayton tone Let's hunt.
Speaker 2: He's flushed and looking and scrambling.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 2: Wow, Clayton toned.
Speaker 8: Cock flit away.
Speaker 4: Seventy touchdown passes the last two years of his college career at Houston, prolific passing stats. One of ten quarterbacks drafted in the first one hundred and fifty picks, Ron Wolfley, that is the first time since nineteen ninety five, and there were a dozen quarterbacks in the first five rounds, and that sets a modern draft record. And a lot of people wondering was that the Brock Party effect because Clayton Tune as forty four career starts and those experienced college quarterbacks started flying off the board on day number three. It is the big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. And if there's one thing we know, Ron Wolfley, it is that the NFL is a copycat league. And I'm guessing a lot of teams, maybe even the Cardinals, are looking for the next Brock Party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say so. Potley brock Perty acquitted himself pretty well when given the opportunity right now and then. One of the great things about the National Football League, especially the sport, the sport of football, it's the ultimate meritocracy, Paul. It really is. You know what, you get what you earned. Ninety nine point nine percent of the time, you get what you earned. You got to come in and you've got to earn that right now. And Clayton Tune, he's very intriguing. He's got a little bit of size to him. He's got a little movement to him as well. It's gonna be interesting to watch this guy in his development because I think he's gonna be given that opportunity as well.
Speaker 4: Paul six three two twenty. He started games over five different seasons at Houston. We know his comments, I'm the best quarterback in this class. We're gonna get a comment, you know. Well, Look, Jonathan Gannon was asked about it years truly. I asked him just about that fact that he made that proclamation after he was drafted. I'm sure he still had the adrenaline flowing of hearing his name called and all that kind of stuff. And Jag essentially said, you know what, I'm fine with that, But it's even better when you speak soft and carry a big stick. So you know, what do you think? Because that's not all that Clayton Tune said. He went on to say, quote, I'm a natural leader. Yeah, people follow me. I elevate everyone around me. People see the work I put in. I have that no flinch mentality when things get tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paully, And honestly, he's going to be given that opportunity to show that he does have that no flinch when things get tough out here. It's great, you've got a how many times have you heard me talk about this? But as a quarterback, you have got to be a confident person. You truly do. And that's going to be the challenge to Clayton Tune when he goes out there and realizes that these schemes are much more difficult than college schemes, that the speed of the game is much different than a college game because everybody out on that field can run. Everybody out on that field is a specimen to some degree. Everybody out on that field is a good football pl It becomes very very tough. But once again, would you rather have your quarterback, be confident or not be confident. You know what, I'll take him as a confident. I'll take that quarterback that is confident, But you also have to be real.
Speaker 4: And by the way, per Pro Football Focus, he had the best passing grade in all of college football last year and he had the highest on target percentage. So he's accurate, he has good anticipation. We'll see if he's given every chance to compete for that backup playing time behind Kyler Murray. Speaking of the Cardinals franchise quarterback, we got an update recently on the Dave Pash podcast from the GM maniasin Port.
Speaker 11: Kyler's here every day. Kyler's grinding, he's working hard, he's getting better, he's improving every day. I don't have a timeline. I don't have an update on that. We're going to put him out there when he's ready. He's doing everything he can now. He's in meetings, he's learning, he's trying to take in the new offense and doing what he can on that front. He just can't be out on the field right now, and he is just physically not ready to do that.
Speaker 4: I mean, Kyler is cited around the Cardinals facility pretty much on a daily basis. He's definitely been putting in the work the rehab hours they've been there. There's a lot of bullish reports on how he's progressing. Jonathan Gannon was very positive in his response to the media less than a week ago, but then he sort of ended the answer with he's still got a long ways to go quote unquote of courses. Our Craig grill Will pointed out he also said that about the entire team at one point, We've got a long ways to go. So you don't know if that's really specific to Kyler necessarily in his rehab schedule, but beyond Kyler Wolf because it is uncertain, is it going to be back in the first month, the second month, nobody knows. How wide open do you think the competition is behind Kyler?
Speaker 1: Yeah, boy, that is a great question, Paul. Really. First of all, let me just say that I believe Kyler Murray based on some of the reports that I have heard, I do believe that Kyler Murray is progressing very very well. How well that is going to be the question right there, how well how many games will he miss? We're gonna have to wait and see on that. In terms of who's going to be the backup PAULI right now, I don't know how you don't go into Week one with Colt McCoy as your quarterback. I just have a hard time believing that it's not going to be Colt McCoy going in week one now Clayton Tune. How well is Clayton Tune going to pick up the scheme? I have no idea. How well is he going to pick up the offense. I don't know how well is he going to play in preseason games. I've got no idea, But I do think Colt McCoy is going to be the starting quarterback for this team week one, and then week two, and maybe after that as long as Kyler is out, I think you're still going to have Colt McCoy be the starter.
Speaker 4: Well, here's Drew Stanton, thirteen year NFL veteran former Cardinals backup quarterback, and this is from the Red Sea Report this week, and how Clayton Tune should handle the competition.
Speaker 12: I think that experience is so valuable and the amount that he has played at the college level, amount of football that he's is going to help him tremendously because he's not going to get a ton of reps. So you've got to be able to learn through different avenues and different mechanisms, and by watching, you've got to be able to sit there and assimilate this knowledge. There's different ways to make sure you're continuing to improve and staying engaged, because if you take a day off, if you just say, oh, I don't have any reps today, you're going to fall behind. You're going to fall behind quickly, and once you lose any footing in a quarterback room, it could be over very fast.
Speaker 4: David Blouse started a couple of games so the Cardinals last year. Down the stretch, we saw that Jeff Driscoll started games for the Texans last year, so everyone ahead of him on the depth chart definitely has NFL experience as rookie. Obviously he does not. But Drew also made another point Wolfe. I thought this was interesting that with a dual threat quarterback on the board and Dorian Thompson Robinson from UCLA, the Cardinals went after Clayton Tune. Yes, they did not go after a Kyler klone so to speak, in terms of body type and skill set. They went after the six three too. Twenty more of a pocket.
Speaker 1: Quarter PAULI here, you know exactly what I'm going to say about that, and that's because now all of a sudden, you're going to see an offense I think that is going to try to blend the old and the new, and offense that is going to try to put their quarterback more under center, an offense that is going to attack the line of scrimmage with a big back like James Connor, attack the line of scrimmage and then use the power of play action that has been around for a long long time. Listen, I know that the New Age offense and the zone read in the RPOs are very very effective, but the only thing that makes them more effective is if you're also able to put your quarterback under center and then use one of the oldest tactics in the game of football, and that is play action to use that in rundown situation. JG as a head coach and former defensive coordinator, JG understands the power of having a quarterback under center running to a meshpoint. You have the ball, Is he going to hand the ball off? Or is he not going to hand it?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 1: You guessed wrong, and if you guess wrong, You're host. JG understands that, paul In. Because of that, it makes me think we're going to see a lot more under center in the Arizona Cardinals future.
Speaker 4: And don't dismiss the fact that the Cardinals quarterbacks coach Israel Wolfork that he worked with Clayton Tune the entire week of the Senior Bowl. He was the quarterback coach, so he got real familiar with the sort of person in quarterback that Clayton Tune is, and obviously they felt comfortable enough in making him the one hundred and thirty ninth pick of the NFL Draft. Another standout from the Senior Bowl was Michael Wilson. And having watched the little bit of rookie mini camp they allowed us to watch, I mean, and look, it might have been because he was one of the few guys running full speed. He's running routes. But Michael Wilson, just the size, the fluidity the route running. He crushed his interview with the media, I mean, very polished. He's already a top five in interview on this team. Very well spoken. I thought he stood out. John Gaines was getting reps at center. Now he was one of two offensive linemen. We're going to talk about that coming up here along with Paris Johnson Junior. But Wolf, just in general, this rookie class, to me, has a real chance to get a lot of playing time this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paula, it's so interesting to hear you mentioned Michael Wilson as well. That guy, that guy's got a little verticality to him. He brings a little size, and I think that's what the Cardinals need. I wouldn't be surprised to see him really step forward as a rookie. Hey.
Speaker 4: Single game tickets on sale now. Go to Azycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. Asycardinals dot com slash buy tickets. All Right, Paris Johnson Junior, he's got to be a Day one starter, right, number six overall and if so, where there is at least three different options by our account. We'll break it down when we come back on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan forward In Gilbert.
Speaker 8: With the sixth pick in the twenty twenty three.
Speaker 9: NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Paris Johnson Junior, ohios.
Speaker 11: Kai high high football character, highly intelligent, well spoken, mature, dependable, and you can tell that he's made of the right things, the things that we want not only our offensive lineman to be made of, but but our entire team.
Speaker 4: As GM moniasin Fort on his draft selection number six overall. Remember the Cardinals started round one in this year's draft at number three, then they traded down to number twelve, then they came back up to number six. And the more I hear about how it went down in the war room, Ron woofully, including this week, anecdotally, most everyone other than maniasin Fort was gripping big time when the clock got under two minutes and he still had several teams on the horn, one on his celf phone, one on the house phone, and they're like, money, we're under two minutes to go here, buddy, And he was cool and calm for his very first draft ever as the I mean decision maker running that thing. And the Cardinals end up with Houston's first round pick next year. By the way, speaking of Houston, real quick, you realize Week eleven, Paris Johnson Junior against Will Anderson. Yes, Paulli, I mean Will Anderson, who led college football D one with twenty seven and a half sacks the last two years against Paris Johnson three sacks allowed on eight hundred and eighty two pass blocks snaps in his college career, according to Pro Football Focus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paully, honestly, right now, it's gonna be interesting to see where they star Paris Johnson Junior. I would put him at left guard. That seems like the natural fit right there, knowing you've got a left tackle and DJ humphreyes. Knowing you got Calvin Beachum on the other side, Will Hernandez at right guard. The center position is still going to be up for grant, but Paris Johnson Junior. I could see him at left guard. Right there. I would put him there because I'd want him to be in a position where he's getting in a left handed stance as an offensive lineman, because you probably see him at some point in time being your franchise left tackle going forward. Provided he develops, of course, and becomes everything you think, so it'd be a much easier transition kicking out to left tackle when DJ Humphries is done. When that is, I do not know, but I love the fact Paris Johnson Junior is going to be working closely with DJ. Now.
Speaker 4: DJ Humphries was sitting here Wolf. You know how Deeed would react. Right, I'm twenty seven to twenty eight, I'm in my prime and you already got me out of here. Yeah, I'm in a long term contract.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: There is ability for the Cardinals maybe to get out of the contract starting after this season. But what's wrong with DJ Humphries over the next three or four years as your franchise left tackle and then Paris Johnson Junior manning the right side right tackle.
Speaker 1: There's nothing wrong with it, Polly whatsoever? There really isn't. But I think you know, four years is a lifetime in the National Football League. You have no idea what's going to happen, both contractually for the most part and from an injury perspective.
Speaker 4: Well, here's Paris Johnson Junior to the media recently, just him explaining the difference to him between guard and tackle.
Speaker 10: I think just the timing of everything. I think on how how quickly you bring your hands, being able to realize where your help is. Because of guard you're in a box and tackle you're in space. To Coach Adams, you know, that's one that's I feel like, regardless of where I'm at, being with coach Adams. I think he knows how to develop his guys to play that sort of way, you know, regardless of position.
Speaker 4: It's a line coach, Clayton Adams. He's referring to there, all right, So let me throw this at j Ron Wellflee rookie mini camp last week in the one hour the media was allowed to observe, there was John Gaines snapping the ball and lined up to his right was Paris Johnson Junior. Now this was on air, but there was Paris Johnson. He could have been lined up left, but he wasn't. He was lined up right. So we took that and from that, I'm telling you, I think it's gonna be D. Jefferies' left tackle. Your right tackle is going to be Paris Johnson Junior. Calvin Beacham becomes your swing, a guy who got you out of a game last year. A left tackle also has experience on the interior. Will Hernandez I think goes back to left guard, where he played his first four years in the league. And now you've got to figure out center and right guard.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Polly right, you're kidding me. You're telling me that Calvin Beacham, what did they sign him to a two year contract, Paul, was it a two year contract? Yes, you're going to tell me that Calvin Beacham is not going to be a starter.
Speaker 4: I think he's a perfect at this point in his career. He's the perfect swing guy and wolf. If all these rookies this year are going to learn on the job, why not Paris Johnson Junior. Look at what the Seahawks did last year with their two rookie tackles. Look what the Giants did last year at the right tackle Evan Neil, who was a top ten pick as well. I just see that as a trend right now in the NFL, and I think the Cardinals follow along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, honestly, I see Paris Johnson Junior being the left guard. We'll take you to a wager that, Yeah, you know what, the left guard for the most part gets more help and gives more help than anybody else. I like him.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: Here's my other hot take. I think because of that, they have three viable tackles. Josh Jones is on the trading block. That's what I think. But I have no idea. I'm just projecting. Maybe they think Josh Jones is your left guard, since he's much more comfortable on the left than he is on the right. I don't know. I also have no idea what they're thinking necessarily at center right now. If you had to play a game, I presume it would be Yelda Froholt, just because he has several years of NFL experience and actually started four or five games last year at center in a pinch for the Browns. But John Gaines is very well thought of and there he was snapping during Rocky Mini camp. You got a gut feel on the center spot.
Speaker 11: Wolf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think it's good to be yelled to fro Holt. I do, PAULI I think it's going to be him. He's going to be given the first opportunity to go out there and win the job. You know, with John gains they needed somebody to snap the ball, and I know he can play center. I know that's part of his repertoire. Yet at the same time, I think Yelda has got a huge advantage, and the reason being is because he's actually played at this level, and not only that, Polly, he's played in the offense that Drew Petsing is going to bring to the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is true. There's no doubt about that. And he's a great personality, yelled to fro Holt. You know what he refers to himself as I doubt Paul the Danish army knife because he's from Denmark.
Speaker 1: The Danish army Knife.
Speaker 4: That's what he calls himself. It's outstanding, Paul.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yelda, can I talk to you for a minute. I don't know if you actually want to go out and tell people that.
Speaker 4: No, it's he's got a good personality. He's you know, he's he's Dutch. He grew up, you know, and then he came over to America and so it's solid. He uses Atlas stones as part of his workout, like the World's Strongest Man competition. That's what he uses part of his workout.
Speaker 1: You know. I want to go back, Paulie. Not that I'm ignoring your workout talk right there. I just want to go back to Will Hernandez at right guard as well. You're talking about moving him over to left guard now. Will Hernandez at right guard was the best offensive lineman the Horizontal Cardinals had through the first eight weeks until he got hurt.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to disagree with that, I'm not, And you know what, that's just just rampant speculation. On my point, I think the interior line is a complete unknown right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. In fact, what you know, you know, Will's gonna start at one of the Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just the where and you know, beyond d Jumfries and Will Hernandez, you know, we have no idea what a new coaching staff and a new GM thinks of all these players. True Season six, Episode three, Cardinals Flight Plans streaming now, YouTube, dot com, Slash AZ Cardinals Special Thanks as always Jim Amahundra, Lauren cobl B. J O Jalari was our special guest for Ron Wolfley on Paul CALVC. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 3: Til you've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azcardinals dot com Slash podcasts. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club.