Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome to the latest Birdland Territory with Steve Brand and Tim It was an important week in Major League Baseball because labor talks started headed towards getting a new CBA Collective Bargaining agreement, the work rules and labor rules that will govern the sport for the next few years. And it seems like every time one comes up, it gets contentious and all that, and so that's kind of where we're at, guys, get your take on it. The MLBPA Major League Baseball Players Association, made an official proposal Wednesday, and then the counter proposal from MLB the League came the following day. They're miles apart. People are still expecting a potential lockout December one, when the CBA expires, and so baseball has some things to resolve. But here's what I think all the I don't speak for any fans, but I think all of them would say the same thing. Whatever you do, don't cost me my sport. We need the games to continue. That's a long way down the road, guys, but right now maybe it's a good thing. I'm brad that these opening stavos have come and gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it gives me a little bit of optimism compared to you know, talking to Buddies and other fans here like in December January. I mean, it just seems like it's heading for an impending lockout or with a strike or whatever the case may be, whatever terminology they use. But I think the fact that they've put something out in May is encouraging for fans because at least they're going to the table and giving concrete facts and concrete things that they're looking for when they're doing this negotiation. I think it's good that they got something out now, as opposed to this dragging into say September and October and nothing's been put out there and no offers have been sent across the table to each other.
Speaker 3: So I think for the sport it's encouraging. Now.
Speaker 2: Where it goes from, I don't really know because they are so far apart, and I know, just being part of the union before and in part of some of these negotiations. When you start with when you start these talks with salary cap, the union stops it right there. They it's there one thing that they will hold on to, and it's the one aspect of these negotiations that is just an impasse when it comes to the union's perspective of it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Brad, that of course is the non starter.
Speaker 5: And MLB they put the cap at two hundred and forty five point three million starting in twenty twenty seven. I will say it was a little surprised that the floor was higher than I thought it would be. It was higher than even the players put out, which was surprising to me. The players put out a floor of one hundred and fifty million, obviously no salary cap, and the league put out a floor of one hundred and seventy one point two million, so basically a difference of seventy four million dollars between the floor and the salary cap. And this is the first time that the league has proposed, formally proposed a salary cap since nineteen ninety four, and that was, of course when the strike happened and the World Series ended up getting canceled. And I guess I would just say this anyone that's super concerned at this point, the league and the players are not going to give their.
Speaker 4: Best offer in the first offer.
Speaker 5: That's just not how any negotiation works, much less a CBA. This is where the actual negotiation begins. You are negotiating off A and the players are negotiating off B. How can we make some compromises? How can we meet in the middle. But Brad that the big sticking point obviously is the salary cap. And we're a long ways away until this CBA expires December first, and maybe it does go into a lengthy lockout at that point. But do you envision a salary cap being a possibility?
Speaker 3: I don't really know.
Speaker 2: And at this point it's been the like ever since I was in the league and hearing all the meetings we had and everything, the salary cap was the one thing that was like, you just were not ever going to do that. But at the same time, when you look at all the other leagues, and I know it's hard to compare, it's apples and oranges, but it's they're the last league left in North American sports that doesn't have a cap and a floor. And I just don't know where the sport can go from here if you just allow it to continue. And this is me trying to do the best of keeping the players, my former players perspective in mind, and what the fans are looking for. I just don't know where the sport can go from here if you just continue to allow the gap to get bigger and bigger and bigger. I know, it's a different kind of sport, and I know teams can have great stories where salaries don't matter in baseball because at the end of the day, it's the pitcher on the mound always has a shot to go out there and give.
Speaker 3: A team a chance to win.
Speaker 2: But when you just start looking at the gap getting so much bigger, and the Dodgers dominance here the last few years, and they just continue to spend, and then you have these other teams, I think they just get to a point where they sit there and go, well, what's the point of spending another twenty five million when we can't compete with that. We're just gonna go with what we got. We'll sign some you know, guys at the bottom of our roster and go from there. So I just I don't know where it goes from here. I think it's gonna be an interesting negotiations to watch. I just it annoys me as a former player and everything that it's just it's every time it comes up, every time there's talks that come up, it just kills all the stories in the sport. It's the only thing that comes across. It gets talked about multiple times all the time, and it just it takes away from how much the sport is growing here. And I think that's what they really need to both look at is because of last year's World Series, viewership is up, Younger people are watching the game. They cannot afford to have another lockout like in ninety four, because I mean that devastated the sport for years afterwards.
Speaker 1: Yes, it certainly did. And of course we're a long way from resolution, We're a long way from numerous negotiations, long way from really everything at this point. But the starting salvos came out this week in Major League Baseball, and we'll check in on some other topics coming up here in a moment on Birdland Territory, and we'll continue some CBA talk as well.
Speaker 6: It's getting hot out there, people. Let's talk Mack Weldon fashion show real quick. A's got the Pima crew neck T shirt, froth heather heather.
Speaker 7: It's it's got little pieces of gray heather in there. It's nice, it's soft, it fits really well. It's great for summer down here in Florida, and I got a couple of linen shirts and linen pants that are gonna look nice when I go to Europe here in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: Oh, very nice. Yeah, it's very smooth, very thin. I'm wearing the eighteen hour Jersey short and Heather Gray. I'll leave that down here for you. And the Pima short sleeve Henley. The color on mine is desert spring, but it really resonates it. It fits in kind of matches with everything in the wardrobe too. It's the classic look. They know what they're doing here, so check it out. We've got the code for you to get moving with Mack Weldon Comfortable anywhere. Go to Mackweldon dot com get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m Ack w E L d o N dot com quote foul.
Speaker 1: So even before June one, some labor talks have started, at least the very initial Salvos, and you know the the MLBPA came out with a proposal counterproposal from the league, the Major League Baseball officials And feel free to pause and read this lengthy quote and let the release from the players Association side, they're not happy with what they heard from the owners, and the owners are not happy with what they heard from the players what it's shocked. But Tim, you mentioned that salary cap proposed two forty five the floor one seventy one. Eight teams would need to reduce their salaries to get there, and like ten or twelve would need to increase to get there. But I think in Baltimore that's what fans are thinking about. Why do the Orioles always get outspent two to one by the Yankees and Red Sox, and then you've got another big market team there in Toronto. Three of the four they compete with, So they just want to level playing field. I'm not sure if they're ever going to get it because of the way this industry works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just when it comes to the Orioles and you can just let's just say since two thousand, for the most part, they're around the middle of the pack, and I don't think fans are upset at that. I think for me, Steve, what upsets me more than the Dodgers and the Yankees are the teams like the A's and the Pirates and the teams that spend no money, where I just I refuse to believe that the ownership grew groups of the respective teams that are near the bottom and spending that can't spend more. And look, I'm not a dummy in the fact that the revenue share and all of that's going to change the TV revenue with what the league proposed. But I do find it very interesting where you know, you have several teams that spend under one hundred million dollars and they're going to have to raise their payroll to one hundred and seventy one point two million, And I think a lot of people are asking.
Speaker 4: Well, where is that money cout? Like is that all coming from the rep share? Like I don't know.
Speaker 5: I've always been of the opinion that I don't think anyone.
Speaker 4: No one's ever going to come out and say I think the owners.
Speaker 5: Want the Dodgers to threep because right now Rob Manfred who he was on the Pat McAfee show the other day, like they're using the spending gap as the boogeyman.
Speaker 4: They're using that to gain fan.
Speaker 5: Support for the league to vilify the PA where how can we compete? Like they're the bulget they're gonna three p wait, we have no chance, and the like, I firmly believe the league is hoping the Dodgers win, because that's like the checkmate, that's see, what do we do here, guys, like we need a salary cap.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I almost get more upset at the teams that spend no money.
Speaker 2: And I kind of have two points along along that what you're just talking about, Tim.
Speaker 3: I think number one is.
Speaker 2: That the players never know what team's actual revenue is. And I that that's been a big sticking point, is that they don't know exactly what numbers.
Speaker 3: Are being shown, what numbers aren't being shown.
Speaker 2: And this is like just something I'm sure fans can't stand here and about because it's like, Okay, the rich are getting richer and the rich are.
Speaker 4: Still rich, so it's like, yeah, it's just it's just weird that.
Speaker 2: The constant topics are these things have like you're just alienating almost every single fan out there that they don't want to hear about who's making more money, who's making less money, all this kind of stuff. So me, that's kind of funny part of it all. And then I think about the lower spending teams. When you look at this, when you look at the tax threshold, when the Dodgers go over it, half of that money that they have to pay in taxes goes towards the pension fund. So for these teams that aren't spending any money, they're like, you know what, spend as much money as you want, because you're paying for half of what we have to pay former players in the pension. And that's where billions of dollars are being saved. When it comes to not giving salaries, when it comes to player service, time, manipulation, those kinds of things, billions of dollars are being saved on the back end. And I think that's to the points where the Players Association really has problems with because these lower teams are like, you know what, Dodgers spends seven hundred million dollars because you have to pay three hundred dollars million towards the pension fund. And that that's even less money out of our pocket too, And like I talked about before, then it's like, Okay, well I spend this amount of money.
Speaker 3: So they just but just nobody knows what the book's like.
Speaker 2: And I think that's part of the point that really just irks the players Association because if you want to do a fair fair talks, just put it all on the table, not in public, but at least give us the numbers, as the association, so we can see what you're actually revenue, what your real revenue is, and what is just kind of being thrown out there in the media.
Speaker 1: Interesting. So the players side would point out and has they feel some of these lower revenue teams when they get revenue sharing money, pocket it and don't spend it on players, which is what they're supposed to be going for. The owner side would say, big payroll clubs have won the last ten World Series and if the NHL, NBA and NFL can have a cap, why can't MLB. So there are points on both sides being made here. Right point about the big clubs winning the World Series is it's a crapshoot in October just because the Rays didn't win the World Series. Well, the Royals once did so and they could again, the Orioles could again. But these big clubs are winning it, they're playing better in October. Is that because of money or other reasons? There's so it's so complicated here. All these issues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think the new playoff system makes it even more complicated when it gets October.
Speaker 3: Because it's it really is a true crap shoot. Now.
Speaker 2: Before it was, you know, the top four teams get in and you just kind of played it played out. But now adding those two extra teams in, which gives more money to both sides, which they both agreed on, now turns it evento more of a crapshoot. And then I don't know, I guess you could say that the higher revenue teams just have more depth. They have more proven players most of the time because you can go out and free agency and get these guys who've done it in postseason. But I don't think it correlates to salary. I just think, like you said, the bigger revenue teams are just playing better at the biggest moments of the season.
Speaker 5: Well, I think something that's indisputable. Steve kind of along those ways, and we have this conversation a lot in Baltimore where if you give out a big contract and I hate to single out Chris Davis without aged, but it's hard to bounce back from that where a Yankees, the Dodgers, you know, teams that give out big contracts and they've absolutely had deals that didn't pan out. They can eat it. Where a team like the Orioles and a team even lesser than the Orioles, that's hard to navigate. I think that that is really the biggest difference there where and that kind of goes to what you're saying, Brad, where that's where it cripples your depth where and look, we Pete's off to a great but you made the move for Pete, and I think that that was a very prudent move where that was the first big contract that you gave out to someone since Chris Davis.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's also puts pressure on Pete.
Speaker 5: You have to deliver because if not, it definitely alters how Michael Aias operates in the offseason.
Speaker 1: No doubt. I mean, we can even use the example of Tyler O'Neill. If the Oriels cut ties with him right now, they'd have to eat twenty five million maybe more. Uh And that's a lot of money for the Orioles or the Rays or the Tigers to eat. Where the Yankees that's lunch money. They don't blake twice cutting the player who's hurting the team, it's twenty five million, so there's another disparity there. And so I guess where do you guys think the next month or two will go with this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's just gonna I just after seeing the last couple play out like directly in front of my eyes. There's gonna be a lot of talks in the media. They're gonna both sides are going to try to use whatever platform they can to try to just say how the other side isn't playing fair. And I just kind of think I think it's going to kind of go in neutral.
Speaker 3: Mode from here. I hope not for the sports sake. I hope it doesn't go in neutral mode.
Speaker 2: I hope they actually do meet with each other face to face and get some at least get a couple of the topics figured out, and then you can work on the bigger ones after that. But just kind of what I've seen the last few times, I think they both put the statement out, they both said both sides aren't even close, and then I feel like it goes into neutra mode. You won't hear anything until my guess is until after the All Star break, because I think they want to have the All Star game have its platform, but maybe you hear a little something right before just if anything has progressed. But I just I don't imagine it going very far from here, just because, like I said, I think the biggest topic is such a butting head topic for these sides that they just staying right there and nobody moves either way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys, I just.
Speaker 5: Would be surprised if something was agreed upon until it was closer to December, like until around the World series. Like I'm a firm believer in any like deadline spur action, and when the possibility of a lockout is there, you're going to be talking a lot more frequently. You are going to be negotiated a lot more frequently. What I hope doesn't happen, which unfortunately, with how these things go, it probably will. It got so ugly that last CBA where and Brad you kind of alluded to it, just the leaks to the media both sides, and it just got so contentious there. And I think and you brought it up earlier, Brad, like I think that's what turns fans off, and it would just be so unfortunate for the sport. Like you were saying, there's so much momentum that has been built over these past couple of years in terms of ratings, in terms of eyeballs and social media, that a prolonged lockout would would be a punch to the gut of MLB.
Speaker 2: And I think just one other thing too, when you look at the age of the guys in MLB, there's maybe a handful of guys who were actually alive when the last strike happened, Like I was, you know, I was six years old when it happened, and I don't remember full details of it, but I remember people that were huge fans of the game, and some of them walked away forever, some of them walked away for a decade.
Speaker 3: So I just don't know if they A lot of the current players understand the reprecation.
Speaker 2: Whatever I'm trying to say, Yeah, reprecussion, so something like that, Like I think it's kind of like a it's almost like a folklore thing of like, yeah, well there was a strike. And I mean you talk to former coaches that I had at times, and they're talking about they talk about the scabs, the guys who went over the picking line and played. They talk about what it was like during that time, and it's like, man, we don't never want to do that again. But I feel like it's get It's gotten so far away at this point that it's almost like, you know, if we do it, it will come back. I mean, look at the NHL, they had one and they came back. Look the NBA, they had one, they came back. But it's like, I just don't know if baseball players nowadays, and this is a that's a broad stroke to say not all of them, but it's just when something hasn't happened in your lifetime, it's hard to really understand what has happened.
Speaker 3: Historically with it.
Speaker 2: So I just don't know if the players have the true perspective of what it was like to not have a sport, have the World Series canceled, have an almost an entire season gone, Like it's just such a big black eye on the sport that I just don't know if that full perspective, in the historical sense of it all, is still there with the players.
Speaker 1: One thing we all have in common, players, owners, fans, media, we love the game. Guys, don't mess this up. To put it in terms of a baseball game, We're in the top of the first We got a long, long way to go, and our national show Foul Territory, of course, will keep you very well versed on all these topics with all their sources and knowledge and correspondence. And here in the Birdland Territory we'll give you a Baltimore angle on it as best we can throughout the process. But you also love to hear about on the field. We're going to touch on some interesting those on field topics next on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 6: Goodfather, I'm a last minute guy. Sometimes you're a last minute guy where you all of a sudden see open up and you want to go grab some tickets and you hadn't gotten them already, So you're going to see geek and you're going to go look for a green dot and see where the good seats are and the good value is and have a little night with the fam.
Speaker 8: Right without a doubt. And I'm looking for some of the best seats. I'm looking for that green dot. When I get that, it's a simple plug it in, use your hands, go right on your screen, your phone, whatever platform you can get it on, and it's so simple. They make it so easy for you to do. Even my son can do it. If I ask them, Hey, Blakester, let's go man, get on there for us. Find us a couple of seats so we can watch even that Subway series. That would be fantastic.
Speaker 3: Seat Geek has it all there for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the code for you. You should know it. It's Territory ten. It just gets you ten percent off your next set of tickets at EKE ten percent off any tickets with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description download the app. Then the code is automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: The last time it happened in baseball was twenty twenty. Two catchers from one team made the All Star Game same year, William Contreras Travis Darnaul of Atlanta in twenty twenty two. Before that, as best I can tell, it hadn't happened since the early sixties, Jogi Bearra and Elston Howard of the Yankees. The Orioles had two catchers playing at an All Star level Withsio and a Ritchman. That would be incredible to see that happen in Baltimore. She Langeleiers and others. We'll have a lot to say about this. But here's what Pisio said when I asked him this week about being considered for the All Star Game. That would be a dream come true. To be on that stage would be truly special. His face was lit up when he said that. To me, he's thinking about it, which isn't to me is not a bad thing because he's playing at an All Star level and this is one of the things that is driving him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, he looks great right now, and it's I think it's I think seeing the excitement on his face when you ask that question was probably probably you know, it probably made you happy.
Speaker 3: It gives you chills. It's just it is a dream come true.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember being with Zach and Darren fifteen, watching Zach and Darren both make it, and it kind of like clicked in my head that like why can't two guys go?
Speaker 3: Why can't I be a guy this year?
Speaker 2: Like it was just it kind of like made the possibility, like the possibility an actual reality type thing like in my head that I could make it if even if one of our other guys make it. And I think with ADLEI I think both these guys are just kind of pushing each other right now to be their best player, because you don't want to let the team down. You want to be your best self when you're out on the field. But I think both of them together right now are just kind of pushing each other when they're out there, and when one's dhing or one's not playing, it makes you want to build your or put your level of play up a level and just go out there and perform at the best of your ability.
Speaker 5: Guys, it's the best catching tandem in baseball, and they're kind of in their own.
Speaker 4: Little tier right now.
Speaker 5: When you look at the stats, they're first in OPS catchers by team by sixty one points, first and slugging by fifty points, first in RBIs by three and they're tied for the lead in home runs. Both of them have an OPS of over eight hundred and Adley Rutchman Man, I know we talk a lot about him on this show, and it's rightfully so. He's on his way to having his best season of his career and he's got a career high ops. Be guys, I keep harping on the defense man. He threw out another runner yesterday. Him controlling the run game of base runners has been awesome. The framing's been spectacular, the blocking, like Adley is just such a complete ballplayer right now.
Speaker 4: And Sam, Man, what more king you say?
Speaker 5: I keep going back to that game in Kansas City where he came through in that ninth inning spot, then came through again in extra innings and was spectacular defen defensively in that game.
Speaker 4: Ever since that moment, I feel like that game.
Speaker 5: Was when things started to slow down for Sam and he's really taken off.
Speaker 1: He has. Man got to get me a Sam Besio bobblehead. I want that bobblehead in this house. I've been covering that kid since today. They signed him out of the dominic, and it is just so cool to see how he's blossomed into He was always a great kid. He's always like his smile has always lit up the room. I saw that in Aberdeen and so to see that happen in Baltimore is really really cool. And we should not lose sight of those fans what you're saying here with these two catchers, because every team is jealous of the Orioles right now with what they have at the catching position. The Oriel right hander Brandon Young just made a change on his splitter grip. I'm going to tell you how remarkably fast that change occurred when we continue on the show.
Speaker 9: Bad Morning Show Finny and Haney Inside Access Live on YouTube weekdays six till six search Baltimore one O five seven the Fan, Subscribe for daily shorts right to your phone, and never miss which you miss one O five seven the Fan.
Speaker 1: So, when the Oils were getting swept at the trap about a week ago, that was not good. But behind the scenes, Brandon Young was changing the grip on his splitter because he was giving up a batting average of over four hundred off that pitch, which he thought was a great pitch for him last year, not so great this year. So Drew French and Mitch Plaismyer went to him and used the example of pitchers in the game. We have great splits like Kevin Gosman and Nativaldi, and what about you making a tweak or two that could help you. He did. He made played catch that day on flat ground with the grip, loved it through a bullpen a day or two later, and a couple days later through it in the game. It happened that fast. He told me, I'm pickup pitches pretty quick. I said, yeah, it seems like you do so twenty four percent. He used it Sunday against the Tigers, when he, by the way, allowed two runs unearned in six and two thirds. Brad, is it lightning fast to go from the drawing board to the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's pretty quick.
Speaker 2: But I think that's one of the advantages of all the technology that they have now is it's one of those things to feel it and kind of see it, but then you have instant feedback. And I think when you go throw off a mount and you throw aside, it's instant data. So it's I mean, pitching coaches can go It's one thing to bring up a grip, but it's another thing to see it actually work. And I think for him, since he does pick up stuff easy, I bet he's messed with five other grips. He's probably tried other breaking balls. You go to the track man and you instantly know, Okay, is this going to be effective?
Speaker 3: Is this not?
Speaker 2: Is my previous grip better than what I'm throwing right now? And if it felt good for him, and especially with him throwing a splitter already, he probably are.
Speaker 3: He had the feel for throwing that pitch.
Speaker 2: I think it was just more so making sure that the movement was what he was seeing. And then from there you can take it to the mound. And I think that's like what I'm pretty jealous of with the technology today that they have, is that you can throw it in aside, throw it in flat ground, go throw five pitches off the mound.
Speaker 3: If it feels comfortable, let it rip in the game.
Speaker 2: Because the data shows and the analytics stuff that they show on track Man, we'll tell you whether or not it's going to work in a big league game. And I think that's one of the cool things with the pitching stuff today.
Speaker 5: What was really cool in that start Steve Sunday is he gained more confident in the splitter as the game went on. The first time through the lineup, he threw it just sixteen percent of the time. The third time through the lineup he threw it thirty eight percent of the time, so close to double than what he started. And we've been giving Brandon Young his flowers throughout the season because we know that it's been up and down for the starting rotation even though they're in it. Cool, great, great groove right now over the past seven to ten days. But Brandon Young all season long, outside of one start, that start against the Astros in that double header, he's been their most consistent pitcher and it's just another one of those cases where, gosh, where would they be without Brandon Young.
Speaker 1: He used the phrase to me, I had the courage to use it in the game, And I believe that's a good word, courage, because guys, if one or two doesn't work like he hopes and costs him five runs as a very different box score for this kid. So it does take some courage to throw that pitch because when it's new, things can go wrong, and so they probably are going to go wrong at some point. Right, you cannot get be perfect with it. But so man, he was on board and that I think was big for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it will be interesting to see moving to this next star. Last time it's kind of get the grip and let it rip, and now it's you've had time to tweak with it, You've had time to.
Speaker 3: Mess with it.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious if he just sticks with it or if he starts trying to manipul. Sometimes you can do with some pitches that you're kind of new with you. You think you can throw it better, you think you can do like, just stick with what you did the other day, let it rip, stick with the grip. And I don't think he needs to do much else because he was The swings he was getting on it tells you everything you need, and I think that's what gave him the confidence to use it more the next time through the lineup. And I guarantee if he keeps getting the swings he got and the way the hitters are looking at it, he's gonna just start throwing it even more if it's that much. And I think it just plays off his fastball that much better, and I think it makes it that much better. So if you can get those two pitches, look at Kevin Gosman. He went them trying to mess around throwing briging balls all of his career. He got to the Giants and told me, they said, just throw your fastball and splitter.
Speaker 3: That's all we need you to do.
Speaker 2: He's obviously done stuff since that point, but you could do it. You can be a two pitch pitcher if they are true too good pitches. And I think that's what Brandon Young could do. Something like that.
Speaker 1: The other thing Tim that this is in the last week we have seen two homegrown Orial pitchers, Brandon Young and Trey Gibson, pitch and baseball for the Orioles. And I heard for years they can't develop pitching. My take was, in the last year or two the pitching development, there's a wave coming here. I saw those guys at Bowie Hermann and Wells and Trey, and I said, these guys now are going to be at Norfolk. They're a step away. I'm not over I don't want to oversell it or overstated or over hype it here, but I think some good things have happened with pitch development, and I think it is meaningful for the fans to see homegrown Orioles start games and pitch well.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: And we were texting about Trey Gibson and unfortunately he's just caught in a numbers game and got sent down after that start. But now two starts in guys, and look, the defense was spectacular behind him that they turned two double plays for him. Gunnar Henderson made that insane throw where he's fading right jump throw to get the runner at first base. But something that's so noticeable with Trey Gibson in those two stones and then he made one outing in relief is it does not look too big for him, man like. He is calm, cool and collected on the mound. And remember he was the first Orioles starting pitcher to make his debut at Yankee Stadium and franchise history, so that in and of itself is pretty unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just fun. It's fun and brad pitching development has changed so much in recent years. But I think seeing them do it in Baltimore, that's when the fans finally really believe. They see double A stats, they see triple A stats. Those are nice, but we've seen so many guys over the years get some hype, get some rankings, get some prospect love, and not do it in the big league. So that's the final step. And again these guys are just starting out, but early returns look good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all you can ask for, you know, is you don't know what's gonna happen to your downline, You don't know what's gonna happen two years online. But right now, having these guys come up give it the innings that they need and looking good doing it is huge, right, now, so you just you love to see if Trade Gibson look super confident. I always think back to him when he was walking off the mount the Yankee Stadium giving words to Albernaz as he's leaving the mound.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this kid has confidence. You can't buy that, you can't teach that.
Speaker 2: He's got confidence walking off the Yankee stadium talking to his manager basically just saying that was awesome type of thing. I mean, that's all I needed to see. And I thought he should have had all these opportunities in between these two starts, and hopefully he gets more moving forward, because that's what you need.
Speaker 3: You need young starting pitching.
Speaker 2: You need to have more than five starters, and you need to have guys do it at the big league level.
Speaker 3: And it's fun to see.
Speaker 2: It's fun to see him using the defense, having good defense behind him, which obviously means he's around the zone. They're having balls put in play. He's not getting swing and missing balls all the time. So it's fun to see. And last night was the other night. Was really cool to watch him go out there and do his thing in Baltimore for the fans to see at home.
Speaker 1: And I think the next year, could bring Herman, could bring Lee by Welch to Baltimore, could bring Luis Dely home to Baltimore. There's more coming behind his Birdland, which if you want to be good for many years, you got to have it all right, guys. We cover a lot of ground on this show. Man good one. Enjoyed it today with Brad and Tim, and we'll have another one in a few days and be you know. Please subscribe to our channel on YouTube. Check out all our videos. One great thing is you can watch run from two weeks ago if it's something you want to hear about. We just had a great show with Bucks show Walter. So a lot to watch and see here on Birdland Territory and we'll catch you next time.