Speaker 1: Wow, Hey everybody, It's Thursday, January twenty fifth, twenty twenty four. Welcome to the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast where we're questionable for this weekend. To me your man, MG Marcus Grand joined by Michael F. Florio, Nolaqwan Jones today, but we are still here to get you ready for Championship weekend. And you and I were looking before the show. We got a lot to talk about Florio, but we were looking before the show. And there's going to be an in game DJ for the Super Bowl. I only vaguely knew who Tiesto was. Like I've heard the name before. I couldn't you know, if a Tiesto song or mix came on, I couldn't tell you who it was. I don't know. Are you familiar with this artist?
Speaker 2: Much like you, I know the name, I don't know much beyond that. My sister is big into like DJ's and house music and all that, so I've heard her say the name before, but I personally have no experience beyond that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was announced just this morning, in fact, maybe just a little bit before we started recording this show. The NFL has announced Tiesto as the first in game superstar DJ for Super Bowl fifty eight. He'll perform a DJ set before the game of the players warm up and fans settle in. He will also play during feature breaks within the game, giving the first superstar DJ to perform throughout the Super Bowl. Which, look, I guess if you're gonna do it, Vegas is the place to do it, right, Like, that's it. Yeah, it's gonna be fun for the fans. I'm sure for the winning team. I'm sure when you're if the team that is losing has to hear him playing, me too happy about that. I'll tell you this. Having been to a couple of Super Bowls, I've been fortunate to go to two of them since I've been at the NFL. During the breaks, it's sort of dead there in the stadium, Like you know, everybody at home is watching the commercials and talking about what happened, Like you're in the stadium and it's just it's kind of a down time. Like the players are on the sidelines are just kind of hanging out in the huddle. The rest are often like nothing is happening. So maybe this is good, Maybe this would be interesting for the folks. I don't know. Can hurt, can't hurt, you know again, and we get to see some of the DJ sets. I guess if that's what you're into. Which side note, And this is not exactly where I wanted to take the show at the start, but this is where we are now. I feel like it's hard to get up and leave the TV during the Super Bowl, like if you have to use the restroo, if you have to pee, Like it's hard because obviously you're watching the game, but then you want to see the commercials. Now, these DJ sets, like the Super Bowls made for Scott Hansen, that's what ay for now. It is like, uh, Nicolette, she'll always.
Speaker 2: Go to the bat like when we're watching, like during the game, because she's like, I want to see the commercials. But yeah, like I want to see the commercials too, but obviously I want to see the game and then the halftime show. And yeah, so you that's a good point. You basically need to be Scott Hansen if you want to see everything.
Speaker 1: Gotta be Scotty, you know. It's like seven hours of commercial free football basically is what's going to happen for the Super Bowl. So if you're there, hey man, let me know how Tiesto is, how things in the stadium are. I guess the rest of us will be watching from home when it happens in a couple of weeks. We are of course going to preview the championship games that hit on Sunday, Chiefs at the Ravens, Lions at the forty nine Ers. We'll give you our DFS picks for those games as well. But I want to start with a lot of coaching moves, and I had originally kind of wanted to do a big kind of coaching carousel thing with the guys who had been hired and what it means. I don't know. They're going to get to all of them in the interest of basically time, especially because there were two new ones that have hit in the last twenty four actually less than twenty four twelve hours essentially since these came down. The first of those two in Los Angeles, the Chargers have announced that they have hired former University of Michigan, former San Francisco forty nine er, former Stanford, former University of San Diego head coach Jim Harbaugh to be their new head coach after moving on from Brandon Staley earlier this offseason. I guess the first question is what does this mean for fantasy bringing Jim Harbaugh to Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good thing. I think it's a good thing for fantasy and for real life purposes. Like when I announced it yesterday, I tweeted just when I was ready to quit the Chargers because I've been very high on the Chargers the last couple of years because talent hasn't been an issue for the Chargers. Like on paper, they should be a great football team, but we know a lot has gone wrong for them there. I did do a deep dive into him and his tenure with the forty nine Ers, which again was ten years ago at this point now, and then his last nine years at Michigan, and I found a couple of similarities in his offenses, and they're both. They were at both ten years very run heavy, not a whole lot of three wide receiver sets, much more play action pass base. So and I understand, like you could say, he had Colin Kaepernick for two and a half of his four years in San fran and that adds to it, but they were still very run heavy when it was Alex Smith as well. So I think We're gonna see a lot of running the ball. I do anticipate him making adjustments to having a quarterback like Justin Herbert, to having to coaching in the modern NFL. But yeah, the things that I took away from there were a lot of play action, a lot of running, not a ton of three wide receiver sets or a ton of throwing down the fields. I still think this is a good thing though, for Justin Herbert, because he's this has the potential. I won't say it definitely will be, but it has the potential to be the best Chargers offense that we've seen with Justin Herbert so far. The only caveat Marcus. And you know this, the Chargers team two months from now could look extreme sely different than it does now because they can move on from Keenan, they can move on from Mike Williams. They could take a wide receiver fifth or an O lineman or at Eckler could be gone. So like people yesterday were asking me, what does this mean for his fantasy stake?
Speaker 1: Where are you ranking him? And it's like the Chargers are one.
Speaker 2: Of those teams where it's January we have to take away and see approach right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that's very much the thing. The only concern I might have, at least for Justin Herbert would be if Harbob brings along Greg Roman, because the two of them have sort of been connected in the past. You talk about all that running that the forty nine ers did, a lot of that was under Greg Roman as their offensive coordinator, and we saw that in Baltimore when he had Lamar Jackson, and it was very much a run based offense, some of which is because of the quarterback, right, and you mentioned it with Alex Smith. They ran the ball with Colin Kaepernick, They ran the ball with Lamar Jackson. Greg Roman ran the ball. What will he do with Justin Herbert because he does not run like those other three guys that I mentioned. Can they run that same style of offense? And if they do move on from Austin Eckler, who is the guy does this mean we are pivoting to Joshua Kelly? Is do they find somebody else in the draft in free agency that they decide they want to get the ball to. So I think Harbaugh has the potential to really open things up. But I also think that some of this is going to have to do with who he brings in as his offensive coordinator and offensive play caller, because I do think if you see Greg Roman's name pop up, you see a lot of people get really sad for Justin Herbert, get really sad for I don't know, Quentin Johnston, whatever. Pass catchers are going to be left there in Los Angeles. So that that is my big caveat to Jim Harbaugh maybe coming in or not, maybe definitely coming in as the head coach, and maybe who he brings in as his offensive coordinator. Meanwhile, and Pat Doherty, who you probably as rodo Pat on Twitter made an interesting point yesterday. I think it was that everybody in the AFC West has really loaded up over the last few years to stop what he called the quote Mahomes problem in the AFC, at least in the AFC West, and no one has had any real success. The Raiders have been through a couple of head coaches trying to do it. Now Antonio Pierce gets the gig. The Chargers have been through a couple of guys. Now it's going to be Jim Harbaugh. The Broncos went whole scale and brought in and then got rid of Russell Wilson. They brought in Sean Payton that hasn't worked. Is this the magic elixir? Is this the thing that finally knocks Kansas City off the throne in the AFC West Division.
Speaker 2: I'm not ready to say that yet, but because look, you all know him a Bills fan. The Bills came out a couple years ago, and we're like, we're building our team.
Speaker 1: To beat the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: It hasn't worked. No one has figured out the recipe to consistently beat the Chiefs yet. I think it's two things that one, we got to see what this Chargers roster is going to look like after the draft and free agency and after Harboro puts his fingerprints all over this roster. We also have to see what the Chiefs look like next year because there's a lot of rumors that Travis Kelce could hang it up after this year. That is Andy Reid considering retirement. Ladarius Need is a free agent to be so this Chiefs roster could look very different as well a couple months from now. But I've learned my lesson. I've picked the Chargers the last two years to be the team that finally gets over that hump. I'm gonna need to see a lot before I go for a third straight time.
Speaker 1: I just it's just you mentioned it. The roster is going to have a lot of turnover this year, and what that does is going to have a big impact on what happens with pretty much everybody in the division. So I just get the sense the chiefs are going to be more intact than I think a lot of the teams around the AFC West. I mean, we look, we know my homes is coming back right like that. That's not up for debate. That's all that matters. That that is a big part of what matters. You know that defense is still going to be solid next year. I still think we're going to see a little bit left out of Travis Kelsey. I don't think he look, I think his brother hangs it up. I think we've seen the last of Jason. I don't think we've seen the last of Travis. I don't have any inside of information. It's just a gut I kind of do. I mean, look, they could go do a pod together either already do it. They just be full time podcasters.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be. I don't know if it'll be on Amazon or where. But they're gonna be the new Payton and Eli like Colin Gay. I don't know, could one hundred percent, could be wrong, just speculating here. I was gonna ask you for fantasy purposes, we're not putting Justin Herbert in.
Speaker 1: The top five right like it's because.
Speaker 2: There's Allen, there's Hurts, there's Lamar. I would still put my homes that that's four right there.
Speaker 1: That's four. I would think. I think a healthy, a healthy Joe Burrow with a healthy Jamar Chase probably gets five. So six to ten was where I was thinking for Herbert in that like second tier. Yeah, I think that's probably accurate. And again I think if they do bring in Greg Roman, I think people are gonna just really be concerned and fall off of Justin Herbert. So we'll see. And again, did you mentioned does Keenan Allen come back? Does Mike Williams come back? There's so many questions in Los Angeles, So we'll see. We'll see what the deal is there. Meanwhile, in Carolina, they pull a little bit of a coup and they pull from a division rival. Their new head coach is expected to be Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dave Canalis, and Canal is getting plenty of praise for what he did with the Bucks offense this year, specifically with Baker Mayfield. You and I have said this plenty of times. We sat on this show last summer and just sort of dumped on Baker and said, like, it's it's jover for Mike Evans in his thousand yard streak, and I don't know if we can trust any Bucks And they ended up being a decent outfit fantasy wise. Obviously they win the division, they get to the playoffs. All that. I'm so with the work that Canalis has done with Baker Mayfield, with other quarterbacks in his past right, he was in Seattle for a number of years as well. Is this good news for Bryce Young? And I guess I would add is this enough when you look at the pass catchers that Carolina ran out there this year?
Speaker 2: I think this is a good thing for Bryce Young. I do not think it's enough because, like you said, yeah, the pass catchers, they had a league worse I would say wide receiver room. Like shout out to like Josh Norris from Underdog Fantasy. I know he's put out a lot of grafts and stuff that shows like, hey, when Bryce Young isn't running for his life and when he has open wide receivers, he is one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the NFL. So I I'm not willing to call Bryce Young a complete bust. I think he's clearly headed down that path more than being like a supersaw right now. But he was put into a league worse situation and then he had his coach fired midyear. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years from now we treat his rookie year similar to how we treat Trevor Lawrence's rookie year, where we're like, what.
Speaker 1: Was he supposed to do?
Speaker 2: That being said, though, I do like the canal is higher, and he was a coach that I was hoping got a gig this coaching carousel trip, and I thought Carolina was the right spot because of what you said. He re established Baker Mayfield this year, who was left for like Baker was cut last year and picked up by the Rams just to play snaps because they needed someone to handle the ball there. Now he has him in the divisional round of the playoffs as a comeback player of the Year candidate the year. Prior, he was the quarterback coach for Gino Smith, who was the comeback Player of the Year, revitalized his career. So in the last two seasons, he's been a huge part of revitalizing careers of quarterbacks that we thought were probably done as starters in this league. So I was surprised to see that the Bucks offense only ranked seventeenth in passing yards. They were eighth and passing touchdowns, but terrible across the board in run efficiency.
Speaker 1: I think he can.
Speaker 2: Help Bryce Young, but I agree with your point, Marcus, like he can only do so much. You need to improve what's on the field first.
Speaker 1: My other concern, I won't say issue concern, I guess is the better word is this is a guy who doesn't have head coaching experience, and that in and of itself isn't necessarily disqualifying. Right, We've seen guys Dan Campbell didn't have I gues see what he had interim head coaching experience. But now he's got his team in the NFC Championship game. But you're bringing in a guy with no head coaching experience and his primary job is to fix the quarterback, which is just one small part of being a head coach. I think it's good news for Young. You got a guy who has done great work with that position before working there again. I do think that it's going to be a major priority for the Panthers to go out and get him help. They can't run out there with Adam Thielen again this year as their number one guy. They've got to find somebody, and it's probably going to have to be in free agency because they've given up so many draft assets to get Young in the first place. I just worry that this is going to be so focused on Bryce Young that it is going to ignore the other parts of a roster that need a lot of help pretty much across the board. So that's my only concern, and I guess that's more of a football concern than it is an actual fantasy football concern. The rest of it, I guess just has to do with what happens in terms of roster building all across this offseason for this Panthers team. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always think it would be a smart thing, to your point, to bring in like two names that popped in my head, not saying it has to be these guys, but like a Vic Fangio or a Leslie Frasier, like a defensive coordinator with a ton of experience, because the one weakness for Canals is he doesn't have that head coaching experience and he only has been in OC one year, so he needs someone there think that's a little seasoned.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think the coaching highers, the assistant coaching HighRes are going to be of paramount importance for Canalis, and so we'll see who he brings in Hell. But I think, but I'm with you, that it's going to be really really necessary for him to have guys with a lot of experience who can sort of, you know, take the reins I think a little bit, and kind of run things. So while he gets his feet underneath him. I guess the upside is one the division again not necessarily great. There is no team that's head and shoulders above the rest, and so I think that hopefully, hopefully means they're going to be patient with Dave Canalis. But I guess that's the other caveat right. David Tepper has not shown a desire to be patient with guys, which is why they have been through so many coaches and a relatively short amount of time At some point, though, you got to believe they have to give somebody time, and hopefully Canalis is that guy. So we'll see. On the other side, though, we talked about Baker and how much this how much having Canal has helped him out this year to the point that the Bucks want to bring him back. They kind of want to run it back again as much as possible. Is this bad news for Baker. I'm not going to say, are you know, where are you drafting it, because I don't know that people really are drafting Baker Mayfield. But how much of a hit in terms of our expectations does this take.
Speaker 2: I think it takes a pretty decent hit. And of course it depends like what Mike Evans does because he is about to be a free agent. So another team that we have to watch this offseason closely what they do. But we've seen Baker with other ocs before and it hasn't worked. And then we saw I know he was only the quarterback coach that year, but Canallis left Seattle and Geno Smith took a little bit. I'm not going to say he fully regressed or anything like that, but he didn't live up to what he was the year prior. So anytime in OC changes, it's always, in my opinion, unless they bring in like an established mind, it's always calls for concern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's fair. I think this is very much a weight and see. But the initial response is this is gonna hurt, you know. I think I think for Baker it's unfortunate. I don't profess to be the biggest Baker Mayfield fan, but it is also undeniable that he never seems to be able to stay consistently within the same offensive system. He has played for a number of head coaches, a number of offensive coordinators. It seems like every year, every two years, he's in a brand new offensive scheme, and so I guess to have the success that he has had, especially this past year, I think it's kind of a credit a testament to him. But yeah, that's that's got to be hard. You're consistently sort of switching up from there. There are plenty of other coaching hires. We should do a one, just big show. Especially we'll get Lakwan back and the three of us will get some other folks in here to kind of help us out. But there are a lot of coaching hires. I mean Gerbrod Mayo getting named in New England, Antonio Pierce, Brian Callahan, we talked about a little bit. Couple of offensive coordinators have been hired with Shane Waldron and Chicago, Dan Pitcher in Cincinnati. Even a defensive coordinator which real quick, Vic Fangio getting let go in Miami. Just sort of reading the tea leaves and like, I know, Twitter isn't necessarily real life, but it seems like Dolphin fans weren't surprised, but everybody else was caught surprised by that. I was surprised.
Speaker 2: I mean, they made him the highest paid defensive coordinator, not even a full calendar year ago. And this is one I'll take a little smile on because he was hired to stop Josh Allen and he could not stop Josh Allen. So it's a lot like how I feel with Nick Dermott, and like you can't stop the Chiefs, it's frustrating. That's how Dolphins fans feel about this situation. But I was surprised in particular because of how banged up that Dolphins defense was like against the Bills and Chiefs to the last two games of the year where everyone's kind of judging them on. They were throwing out like third and fourth stringers, so it's it's hard to put too much of that on Fangio. I would say I got so too. I mean, just the number of injuries you mentioned. I have a friend who's a Dolphins fan and he was texting me late in the season and we're not going to have a defense for the playoffs because they were losing so many guys, and you do wonder whether or not that that takes effect. You also read that you maybe just a kind of a clash of styles between Vic Fangio, who's definitely more of an old school football guy, and Mike McDaniel, who's more of a kind of a new school guy. Who's gonna see that coming right, that maybe those two guys just were a you know, maybe not a personality clash. We're just a difference of opinion and how things should go, and in the end it's McDaniel who has the final say.
Speaker 1: So. Vic Fangio is at the moment unemployed, although a lot of reports have him landing in Philadelphia, UH and working with the Eagles, So we'll see about that, but definitely want to take a day and really dive into all these coaching hires and uh and let's kind of like, you know, figure out what means what you know as best as we can tell here before free agency, in the draft and all that other stuff. And I mean, Zime, we'll take a quick break, we'll come back and we'll dive into championship weekend. Two games this weekend to determine who will play in Super Bowl fifty eight. We'll talk about that and give you our DFS picks coming up next on the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast. So it has come down to the final four in the National Football League, and on Sunday we get two games to narrow it down to two. It starts Sunday, three o'clock Eastern on CBS. The Chiefs at the Ravens. And I would have said that there were any number of teams, maybe three teams that could have been in this game. Two of those three teams actually say started started the yards at fourteen, right. I would have thought the Bengals had a chance to get back there. They had a whole litany of injuries and other issues that prevented them there. But the Chiefs and the Ravens were two teams and I think a lot of people believed could be in this game, and here they are. What's different about it this year, Mike, though, is that the Chiefs, and we've said this repeatedly, they have done this more on the defensive side than on the offensive side. You know, Travis Kelce has not had the typical Travis Kelce season. We've seen the emergence of Rashi Rice along the way, but all of it has kind of conspired to keep Patrick Mahomes numbers down from where they normally are. Now they're going against one of the best defenses in one of the more aggressive secondaries in the league. Can the Chiefs wide receivers non Rashid Rice division do enough to help them win against this Baltimore defense.
Speaker 2: I don't think they can do enough. Where if the Chiefs defense allows Lamar and Code get going that they can be in a type of like shootout game or something like that. I think they can do enough in the sense of what they've been doing, which is like like Mvs had a huge catch last week and Watson had one a couple weeks ago. Like we've seen these guys step up situationally and Again, I'm not like none of them are gonna go for one hundred yards or anything like that, but that's not what they need and that's not what they're asking them to do at this point of the season. So I think they could do enough to keep this a close game. And if that is the case, I think that's what you want. If you are the Chiefs or a Chiefs fan. I don't think you're going into this game thinking like we could pull ahead and kind of run up the score here. I think you need to keep this as close scoring and hope that Mahomes could pull out some magically.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's the only way to do it. I think that I just don't know where they go to consistently get playmaking in their wide receiver room besides Rice and letting him try to get open in space and get yards after the catch, which is what he's done so effectively all year. And then hoping that you know they that the Chiefs or that the Ravens don't have a solid plan for Travis Kelcey that he can operate in the middle of the field like he normally does. If suddenly you are leaning on MVS, if you are needing Mikole Hardman of all people to make plays for you. You know, if Justin Watson is out there trying to, you know, take the top off the defense, I think you're in real, real trouble. And so if I'm Baltimore, those are the two guys I'm really trying to take away as much as possible. I'm trying to take away Rice. One of Rice or Kelsey, right. I think if both of those guys have good games, Baltimore could lose. If only one of them has a good game, I think the Ravens have a really good shot to win this thing on Sunday. It's just been amazing to me how Kansas City has survived. And I guess what. Credit to Mahomes, credit to Andy Reid, credit to Steve Spagnolo's defense that a team that has lived so much on the arm of its quarterback over the last four or five years has figured out a way to again be in the AFC Championship Game without having that same potent passing. I'm gonna tell you what, how much would they give to get Tyreek Hill back, at least just for one week.
Speaker 2: They'd give it all, But it could be fool's gold. But because they've played two very banged up defenses the last two weeks. But Rashid Rice, I mean this is nothing new, Like he's really breaking broken out in a big way. And and the way that they're using him, they're using him more like a traditional wide receiver one now whereas early in the year they were just kind of generating touches to get the ball into his hands and let him run. But Travis Kelcey, he kind of looked like Travis Kelcey again these last two weeks. So that and to me, part of what I think the regular season is with the Chiefs is I don't think they care about the regular season, like I think they know if we get to the playoffs and we're healthy, that's all we need and we co win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Now, I think your point is correct, and I think we've seen it in a lot of other sports. Like I say this as a Warriors fan who watched this team, you know at their height, kind of understand like they don't need to go all out. They can get a two seed without necessarily going all out. But as long as those key pieces were healthy, then they had a chance to make a run. At a championship. I think we've seen that in a lot of sports, and I think that's kind of where the Chiefs are right now in terms of, hey, we don't need Yeah, if we go out and we win, you know, fourteen fifteen games, that's great. We just need to put ourselves in the best position to make a run in the playoffs, and that is really where they've gotten to this point. Can the Chiefs defense be aggressive, and they've been very aggressive under Steve Spagnolo. Can they continue to be as aggressive and put as much pressure on the quarterback when you've got Lamar Jackson, who at any point can take off and run and just be a game breaker with his legs. I think they.
Speaker 2: Can be aggressive because their secondary is so good at sticking on wide receivers, especially downfield. Like a bunch of people are saying, Josh Allen was scared to throw downfield, That's not what it is. What it is is that their secondary is so good and it forces the quarterback to kind of think a little bit and it's not like, Okay, this guy's open, I could throw.
Speaker 1: It to him.
Speaker 2: If you want to throw it downfield, you're gonna have to throw it in a tight window, and that's always tough to do. But what the Bills did well this past week was run the ball, and Josh Allen was their leading rushers and he had two rushing touchdowns. So I think Lamar is going to have to step up with his legs because that has been the weakness of the Chiefs all year against and Chris Jones immediately after the Bills game was like, we are about to play Lamar Jackson. We need to figure out a way to stop the run and stop rushing quarterbacks. Good luck, because I think the only quarterback better at running the ball than Josh Allen is Lamar Jackson. And it's only gonna get harder for you this week. So I think he can be aggressive, but I think he's his legs need to open up for his arm.
Speaker 1: If that makes sense, No, I think so. But I think I think the Chiefs have to be situationally aggressive, right. This can't just be We're going to bring pressure all the time because it's going to kill you in the long run. And I think the issue is what Josh Allen, what Lamar Jackson do, what Jalen Hurts does is that they force you to play and this is not new. I'm not breaking any ground here, but they force you to play eleven on eleven right, because they they can take off and run. And so do you devote a linebacker or someone or safety to spying on Lamar Jackson to make sure he stays in the pocket? And does that mean you're taking away from Look Mark Andrews is likely to be back this week? Right? If you are, if you are using assets, if you are using players to spy Lamar Jackson, does that mean that you are using less to make sure Mark Andrews is in check or Zay Flowers or Rashad Bateman or anybody like that. That becomes the issue with Lamar Jackson. Now, Spignola has been great at this all year long. I would imagine they are working on sort of creative ways to try and keep Lamar in the pocket. But you know, is that going to be enough? And so I think it's it can't just be just all out aggression. It's got to be sort of a controlled aggression this week against Lamar. It gets us to a couple of more or lesses for the week. Let's do passing yards for Patrick Mahomes more or less than two hundred and forty one and a half passing yards for Mahomes this week.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say more because I think this will be a close, competitive game that comes down to the wire. And if it's going to be that, I think most I think it's gonna come in. It's not going to be the flashy like Mahomes is putting on a show. It's going to be a grinded out It's going to be ugly at times. I expect a lot of passes to Isaiah Pacheco, who has been getting more and more involved as a pass catcher. I think Travis Kelcey steps up.
Speaker 1: In this game.
Speaker 2: One one of their guys is gonna have to win deep at some point. But again, I don't think it'll be pretty. But I think at the end of.
Speaker 1: The day he'll top this number. I'm gonna say less. I you know, I don't know. I just have this feeling that he's at you know, two twenty five to thirty, uh, you know, maybe a touchdown or two, and if they win, it will be just enough. It'll be because the defense does just enough and that they maybe get a good game out of Isaiah Pachecko running the football some and look I think a good game out of Pacheco running the football is like ninety yards, right, Like, I don't. I don't think you're gonna see Pacheco like over one hundred or anything like that. I just don't know that a big passing game is coming for Mahomes. But I'm with you. I think it's going to be a gritty, gutty, just kind of battle through sort of game for him. But I don't. I don't know that I would. I would go less on this one for Mahomes more or less. After we just talked about Lamar Jackson sixty three and a half rushing yards for Lamar more Allen had seventy two last week.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised if Lamar tops that number because, like I said, like there's going to be running lanes up the middle out wide because the weakness again the Chiefs, you can run on them all year long. And it wasn't just like a last week thing that this has been an issue for them. Chris Jones immediately identified it as an issue they need to clean up. I don't think you could fix a season long problem in six days when you're facing the best rushing quarterback probably in the history of the NFL, and this scary part about Lamar And I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you feel this way, Marcus.
Speaker 2: Even watching when he runs and all the stuff that he does, I'm like, he's running at seventy five percent speed, Like he never fully turns the jets on. This could be a week, and I think it should be a week where you leave because I think he runs that way to be more unto control and to try to avoid injury. You leave it all on the field this week, and if he turns those jets on, he could get close to that number in one long run. So I'm definitely taking more than that number.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely taking more. I'm taking more simply for the fact that Lamar Jackson in his playoff career has averaged more than ninety three rushing yards per game. That has been the average so far for him in the playoffs. So just on that reason alone, I'm going to take more because you mentioned it. I think what has made the passing game more effective in Baltimore has been Lamar running the football and just kind of forcing those linebackers in safeties to freeze a little bit more to make sure that he's going to stay in the pocket and that opens some things up there. So I think for Baltimore to win, he's got to go for more than sixty three and a half. So I'm gonna take more there. All Right, we'll do our picks at the end of the show, but let's take a look at the Lions and the forty nine Ers. The Lions very much. I think America's sentimental favorite here, even if they're not the favorite in the desert for this one six thirty Eastern on Fox. You can see that one on Sunday. Jared Goff has been really good this year. Fred Warner is saying that, you know, he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league right now, but he's a guy who sort of has problems when he is faced with pressure. So he's got this forty nine Ers pass rush to deal with. Jared Goff against the Niner pass rush. Who you got forty.
Speaker 2: Nine Ers pass rush. Let's remember too, that the game is being played outdoors in San Francisco when and Jared Goff is famously an indoor cat, and that's we talked about that a lot this year, Like it's not just necessarily him going on the road, it's him playing outdoors as well on the road. That is really when he tends to struggle. And again it's not even just the pass rush, it's that the fact that the forty nine ers secondary has been playing so well as of late ward, especially that I think they'll force Jared Goff to have to hold the ball a second longer. And if you're giving this pass rush an extra second, I think they're gonna.
Speaker 1: Get home a decent amount. I want to say the Niners pass rush, and I will, but with an asterisk is that they have had some games where they have sort of had issues. They didn't really give Jordan Love a lot of problems last week against the against the Packers. There have been times and stretches this week where Nick Bosa has been invisible for a long stretch. So, you know, I think in the end, I think over the course of four quarters, I think they finally start to get home. But I would not be surprised if you see Goff early on really take some shots and really make some plays in this game, and maybe over the course of four quarters they start to wear down that offensive line and then start to make some plays there. But I think it's going to be a long day for the Niner pass rush. I also wonder you mentioned him being an outdoor cat, right like, outdoor cat versus being back home sort of in the Bay Area, right like. I don't I don't know how much time he's gonna get to spend with the fam. He's gonna go home and have a home cooked meal. I don't know if that's gonna happen for him, but you know, he's gonna have a lot of friends and family. I'm sure in the building there in Santa Clara. It's not that far of a drive from where he grew up in Marin County. So what weighs out Is it Jared Goff being outdoors on the road, or is it you know, maybe he got to eat in his favorite spot one day while he was in town. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that warm's his soul, but I'm gonna go with the outdoor facts. But you, as a forty nine Ers fan, how much do you think experience comes into this Because you guys have been here it feels like yearly, whereas Jared Goff I think is the only one and CJ. Gardner Johnson who have gone this far.
Speaker 1: I think there's a little bit of experience. But I also think that for the Niners, there's a little bit of pressure here because this team has gotten to this point a number of years in a row. They have been to the Super Bowl a couple of times, and they haven't closed the deal. I think last week, coming back from being down seven at the start of the fourth quarter, I mean, famously they were over with Kyle Shanahan in that situation. They came back and got to win. I think that is sort of a mental boost for this team. But I do think that as long as they are in this position, knowing that the window's not going to be open forever, that this is a really, really good team. I think there's a little bit of pressure there, you know, And if something sort of sideways happens, I mean, look, everybody thought they had a chance last year. Brock Perty gets hurt early in that game and it all fell apart for the forty nine ers, and so I think, you know, if they can get through the early part of the game has some success, I think they'll feel better about it. But I do think there's some pressure on the forty nine er side. I think if I'm the Lions, what do I have to lose, Like nobody really expected us to be here in the first place. We're playing with house money, so I think I think for the Lions it's easier to come in and be loose in this situation.
Speaker 2: I agree with you on the Lions mindset. For the forty nine ers, it kind of feels like like, if you wanted us eliminated, you should have did it last.
Speaker 1: Week when you had the chance. Yeah, I think that's that's probably fair. So we'll see. But you know, on the other side, though, you talk about the Niners, Deebo was at practice per our own omar rou He was in practice on Wednesday, kind of working out on the side, So there is hope that he can play despite the shoulder injury. But if he doesn't play, cam the Niners win.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think it would be a huge boost to have Deebo. That that's not no groundbreaking analysis there, Like he's their best playmaker outside of Christian McCaffrey, and he always becomes wolverine this time of year, Like every time he goes down it looks like it's he's not getting back up, and he somehow does. But this the Lions defense, their weakness has been against wide receivers, so naturally you want Deebo out there, but I still think Brendan a you could do enough to step up. Jennings has been playing really well. They have George Kittle, they have Christian McCaffrey. If there's any team that is built, and I know in the regular season it was like, oh, well they're losing without Deebo. They were also missing Trent Williams.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that might be even more important than Deebo Samuels. So while obviously him playing would be a huge boost, I still because of the matchup, they can be productive enough at the wide receiver position to get it done.
Speaker 1: That's honestly why my Galaxy brain idea is that Trent Williams should be the NFL MVP, because you know, everybody, yeah, everybody's trying to shoehorn Brock Purty into it and talk about Christian McCaffrey. But when they went through that three game losing streak in the middle of the season, Trent Williams was maybe the biggest piece that was missing there, and like the biggest reason that perty was under pressure and throwing interceptions. So I'm like, look, if we're gonna say brock Purty is the MVP, then what about the guy who's been protecting him and allowing him time to make plays in the pocket. Maybe he should be the MVP.
Speaker 2: But what in a literal sense, he was the biggest piece missing, literally was the biggest piece missing.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt. You talk about though, Deebo, Samuel and I have a feeling this could be a Brandon Ayuk game. Regardless he does well against man coverage. The Lions are a heavy man coverage team. I think this is a situation where they use him a lot. Now, if Deebo isn't there, I think that does mean some more opportunities in the intermediate part of the field. I think you're gonna see if you can somehow fit more targets into Christian McCaffrey. You see those, I think you see George Kittle sort of running some of those routes. I think you see Rey Ray McLeod even getting involved a little bit more running some of those routes. It will be it won't be one person that picks up the slack if Deebo doesn't go. But I still think there's gonna be a heavy dose of Brandon Ayuk in this game and maybe even a little Juwan Jennings to try to get over the top of this defense a little bit. I think the Niners offense is going to look better this week than it did last week. I think you had guys hadn't played in a couple of weeks. I just think you sort of had the rust a little bit of having some time off. You had a packer team that was red hot, had been in playoff mode for a couple of weeks. I think it's like it's like the NC two a tournament, right where you get eighteen that's a high seed, and maybe they struggle in their first game out and everybody worries about them, and then they come out the next week and they sort of roll and everybody's like, Oh, this is this is what we were expecting. I kind of have that feeling with the forty nine ers offense, and after what we saw last week, they sort of shook it off. They got they got done what they needed to get done. I think the best analogy I heard is that the Niners last week were like a star pitcher, you know, in the playoffs or in the regular season where it's a big game and they don't have their best stuff and they figure out a way just to gut it out and get to win. And that's kind of what perty in that offense looked like last week. I think they're better this week. Let's do some more or less for this one too. Seven and a half catches for Amon Ross Saint Brown more or less.
Speaker 2: This is one where I could see the logic for going less. I'm gonna say more though, because the forty nine ers are great against the run. They can especially, I think they'll have their hands full with Gibbs. I could see them having better success against Montgomery, who doesn't have as much speed. But I think this will be a game where than not have a lead, and that means a lot of throwing for the Lions in the second half. And I think they're gonna force feed their number one wide receiver, And you look at the rest of their passt like Sam Laporta is awesome, but he's clearly still playing banged up right now. And outside of that, it's like we have Gibbs and there's wide receivers there who can make plays, but there's no one anywhere close to what Aman Ross Saint Brown is. So I expect them to come out and force feed him the ball early on in all game long, and I think I think him having a big game has to be a huge recipe of success for the Lions. So I'm gonna go with my heart and say more.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be more because they can't win without him having a really good game this week. So I do think they try to get him involved early and often, and at some point the Niners do have to decide is it going to be Saint Brown is it going to be Sam Laporta? Which guy gets a lot of that attention in the middle of the field. Honestly, I think the battle between say like Fred Warner and Sam Laporta is gonna be really really interesting with you know, if they have Warner or green Law trying to cover Laporta is going to be really kind of fun. But I still think that means you're gonna see a lot of Saint Brown in the middle of the field. And again, if the Niners can't get to golf early, I think you see I'm on rajet going early in this game. I would say nine to ten catches wouldn't be a surprise for me for Saint Brown this week on either side. More or less one and a half total touchdowns for Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'm gonna say more, but my answer might change if Deebo suits up, because I'm not sure CMC is gonna get a whole bunch of opportunity on the ground near the goal line, and if Deebo plays, he could steal it one away. But I think in the past, like when they're if it's first and goal or second in goal, something like like goal to go and brendon and you can't win twenty yards downfield, I think that's when they're gonna be like, all right, it seems see, we need you to step up here and we're gonna give you four opportunities or something like that to pun in. So this is one I went kind of back and forth on because the lie I really do respect the lines run defense and what they've been able to do. But Christian McCaffrey is the best running back walking the planet, and he could also be used as like their wide receiver two in this game with the amount of targets he could get. So I'll take the over on volume.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say yeah, I'm gonna say over. I'm saying more just because I think one's rushing, one's receiving. That's because they do use him so much near the goal line. There's so many, so many chances for him to get his hands on the football. And again, if Deebo doesn't play, if Debo plays and is less than one hundred percent, I just think that means more short targets for McCaffrey, more chances to get out in space and score. So I think he goes with more than one and a half touchdowns there. If you are playing daily fantasy, which I'm sure a lot of you out there are, we decided to pick get to some value picks. I know it's hard this time because there's only four teams playing. There's not a ton of value. But where did you find some guys that maybe give you some flexibility?
Speaker 2: At Justice Hill at forty eight hundred, I was a little bit surprised with how much Justin Hill we saw this past week. And I'm a little bit concerned if we're going to get more Dalvin Cook this week. But Hill was the most utilized Ravens running back. And keep saying it the weakness of the Chiefs is against the run game. So I think Baltimore. With that being one of their biggest strengths, I think they are going to try, especially early on, to establish the run. So at just forty eight hundred, he felt like a pretty good bargain there. And then brock Purty sixty four hundred. Not super cheap, but he's cheaper than Lamar, He's cheaper than Mahomes, and I think he could have the best game of any quarterback outside of maybe Lamar fantasy wise because what he does with his legs. But you got a huge discount. I expect a lot of passing for brock Purty Marcus. My bold prediction this week was brock Purty throws for three hundred and three Agassi secondary that has struggled this year, So I know it's bold, but it's more so trusting Shanahan and those playmakers that the Niners have.
Speaker 1: All Right, So I'm gonna go with George Kittle at fifty three hundred, which I know sounds sort of wild, but he is of the four starting tight ends, he is the one who's sort of the best pride. I mean, you got Mark Andrews, I think comes in at five thousand, but you know, I don't know if we see the full Mark Andrews like we would have if he was fully healthy. I think you still see some Isaiah likely So I think you know, getting Kittle in there's your tight end. It gives you the upside without maybe paying that Travis Kelce type price or the Sam Laporter price for him. And the other one is Juwan Jennings because I mentioned that he is a guy who is an occasional playmaker for this team. He will get targets on critical third downs. He has made some big catches, and if there is no debo or a limited debo, I think that means more opportunity for him to run routes and more chances to get some targets down on the field. At forty six hundred, he could potentially be a lower end wide receiver, maybe a flex play for you if that's what you want to do in your lineup. So that aside, how did you build a lineup for this weekend?
Speaker 2: I used Brock Perdy at quarterback Isaiah Pacheco because, like I said earlier, I think they're gonna throw the ball to him a good amount.
Speaker 1: He's gonna get the bulk of carries there.
Speaker 2: Justice Hill, who I think is a good bargain, and getting him allowed me to pay up for aman Ros Saint Brown, who both of us think is going.
Speaker 1: To be heavily, heavily involved this week.
Speaker 2: I got Brandon Ayuk, who, like you said, I think with or without Deebo, he can eat this week, especially as the field stretcher there, and I get that stack. Then between Purdy and Ayuk, I needed some money to save here, so I'm with Jamison Williams, who I know his volume hasn't been great as of late, but he's impressed me with the fact that he's not just streaking down the sideline anymore.
Speaker 1: He's actually running routes.
Speaker 2: And if this is a game where they're trailing basically thirty seven hundred, you're hoping that he catches one of those long balls. And then Travis Kelce, who I think is going to step up and be very, very utilized in this game. The one pick I was considering changing was Odell Beckham because this morning I saw how they were using their wide receivers in Baltimore in the playoffs, and Odell's kind of been the odd man out, so I might change that pick up a bit. And then Lions defense because they are the cheapest, and it allowed me to pay up some other places. But if I dropped down from Beckham, I could potentially improve that defense.
Speaker 1: All right. So I went with you Like You, with Brock Purdy as my quarterback there because give me a little bit of flexibility. Also because I wild admit I went very forty nine or heavy in this lineup here, Christian McCaffrey, I was able to fit in at the number one running back spot. I did go Justice Hill because, as you mentioned, I mean, he got a lot of work last week and is more likely to get work in the passing game if it comes to that, certainly more than Gus Edwards or Dalvin Cook a couple of Niners wide receivers. When Brandon Ayuk and Juwan Jinnings able to get them both in. I did go Nelson Agalore because it just seems like he pops up out of nowhere catching a touchdown. Every once in a while we get the meme of the guy with the bug eyes talking about catching babies and that sort of thing. So I got Agalore in there. Able to get George Kittle at my tight end my flex I went with David Montgomery because my bold prediction is that he is the first player to score two rushing touchdowns in a game against the forty nine Ers. This season, no one's had more than one in a game. I will also admit that maybe it's a little bit of a reverse jinx. All of my bold predictions this year have been pretty awful, so now I'm just taking the opportunity to try and reverse jinks to teams that are playing San Francisco late in the season. And then as a defense, I took the Ravens. I just think they are maybe the best defense here. The Chiefs, weird to say, maybe the worst of the four offenses. So I put the raven It's by degrees, right, Like, I'm not sitting here saying the Chiefs very bad offense, but by degrees they are the worst of the four remaining offenses. So that is who I took defensively, So that gets us to our pick. So tell me who will be playing in Super Bowl fifty eight in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: The forty nine Ers, I think are the team that I feel most confident in making it. I think that the lines are a great story, that they've gone further than I think a lot of people thought, but on the road against what I would say is easily the best team in the NFC. I think the forty nine ers get the job done.
Speaker 1: In the AFC.
Speaker 2: My brain and logic and all of that is telling me to pick Baltimore. I think they are the best team in football. I think their defense is one of the best. Like I think their defense is extremely underrated because we don't put them up with We haven't all year talked about them being one of the best defenses we've seen in a very long time, but they were historically good this season. That being said, I'm going with the Chiefs because it seems like they figured something out these last few weeks. It's Chrick Mahomes and the playoffs truly is a completely different beast.
Speaker 1: Travis kelce looks like Travis Kelcey again.
Speaker 2: Pacheco's running really well, this defense is really good, and they could force some turnovers. I'm kind of buying into the narrative that the Chiefs might look very different next year.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if this.
Speaker 2: Is I'm not saying this is their last dance season, but there it could be for some of their key people. So I'm gonna go against logic and say that Patrick Mahomes defies the odds once again.
Speaker 1: I was sort of torn. So I'm just gonna tell you that I'm picking the forty nine ers in the NFC. I think both with my heart and with my head, I think, you know, I think they are a better team top to bottom, and I think they rebound from what was admittedly an ugly performance last week against Green Bay. I think they bounced back, and I think I think they just have too much for Detroit on both sides of the ball. On the other side, though, because the last two Super Bowl appearances the Niners had, they've lost to the Chiefs and they've lost to the Ravens, So I don't really know which team I want to see them face the most. I think I think that I think Baltimore is the more complete of the two teams. Defensively, they are amazing. Offensively, we know what Lamar Jackson can do. Their pass catchers, I think are good enough getting Mark Andrews back at the right time, and I think they will have just enough to get by what I think is going to be really entertaining, really fun game, So it won't be Harball v Harball this time. Around. But I do think we're gonna see the Ravens and the forty nine ers back in the Super Bowl again, and hopefully this time there's no big power outage early in the second half to a delay the game for like half an hour or whatever it was that happened in New Orleans, and then none of the.
Speaker 2: Conspiracy theories of like they did that to make it a game, yeah, man, because the Niners started to come back after that, or the Ravens came back and after that.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't remember I locked that. I was gonna trust your beard, ya, I mean, I blocked that game. I blocked that game out. I just remember three freak looking fades to Michael Crabtree in the corner of the end zone to end it. That's all I remember. That's all. Yeah, And that was about the time. Was that before or after the Richard Sherman exchange. That would have been after, I believe after the Richard Sherman yelling at Aaron Andrews thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm all four coaches going for it and being aggressive and stuff. But the fade isn't the play. You do that one time, try to catch them off guard. After that, let's let's do something else.
Speaker 1: That was a Greg Roman offense. By the way, just putting that out there, that's all I'm saying. Anyway, enough of that. That is our look at the championship weekend. For sure, it should be a lot of fun. We'll be back next week to kind of talk about what happened. We'll diving some other things. We'll talk about some awards finalists too. I'm probably getting some of these coaches changes as well. We'll find things to occupy our time and your time with as well. Hopefully it's entertaining. But that'll do it for this edition of the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast. A happy, safe, and healthy, do good, and live well. Enjoy Championship weekend everybody, and we'll talk to you next week.