Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Business Wait inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business, finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, we are just going to go right to it, because we do have the star in the studio, Lizkapla McCormick. She's here and we have all been obsessing about your story. So our conversation continues, and she is, of course Bloomberg News Chief correspondent for Global macro Markets here in our Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio. Liz, I do mean it sincerely that like when we read through a story like yours, it's not superficial. I learn more and more about kind of how the FED works, how kind of our financial system works when it comes to stresses or lack there up. So really appreciate it. So talk to us a little bit more.
Speaker 3: I learned more and more about what I don't know and I don't understand.
Speaker 2: It is so true. It's like, oh my god, this has explained something else that's going on. So talk to us about your story. And the FED balance sheet was so important in terms of assessing it and also understanding about as chair Palell tries to roll it off a little bit.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, well, thank you for those kind words. I feel like that's what I try to do, take the weird wonky stuff and make it beatable.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: A lot of good colleagues and good editors. But yeah. So it's interesting because you probably heard Chairman Pal and his recent congressional testimony. A lot of politicians they just hate the big balance sheet. So they were saying, are you going to get it down faster? Or why can't we? We don't like that you do Q so fast and QT takes so long. And I had been looking at this story for a while, the balance sheet roll off, and he was saying, which is very smart of him, like basically there's a lot involved, Like, yes, we want to get the balance sheet down, we know that's our goal, but we don't want another twenty nineteen Rebo crisis, which happened when they were doing QT and things got too restrictive in the banking system. Let's just say simply, so, as they roll dead off their balance sheet, you know that money has to be pulled out of the system, and if it comes from bank reserves, then we could get more tightening and liquidity. And I think, Matt, I heard you talking earlier even about you know, treasury bill issuance coming. That's you know, as they build up their cash balance again after that nightmare of the debt ceiling. We had that going on. So now we've got the FED who's trying to get that balance sheet down. Their pace is about a trillion a year.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a lot, it's a lot, but the balance.
Speaker 4: Heat is darn big, right, you know, But that they don't want reserves in the banking system to get too restrictively.
Speaker 3: It looks like they're moving pretty quickly already. Like if I type up FED space bow on the Bloomberg terminal, I can see that we were over eight and a half trillion and we're pretty quickly approaching seven and a half trillion, you know, within the span of just about one year. So what's the problem with this? When they when they reduce their balance sheet, essentially they let the bonds mature, right, and they don't use that money need to go out and buy new bonds. How does that suck liquidity out of the system. Well, it can come in a couple of ways.
Speaker 4: That's why. To be honest, it's made this a little more precarious because the Fed uh normally think about assets and liabilities on a balance sheet. The bonds are assets liabilities, you know things that if nothing else changes, assets go down, liabilities have to go down. So like a key liability is bank reserves because if bank want their money, Fed has to get it back to them. So one way is the assets go down and bank reserves would go down as people like treasury selling depth people buy this stuff. But now we have this other thing called the Fed's Reverse Repo facility, another place that a lot of money market funds like they put their money there so they.
Speaker 3: Can buy some of this. So that's on the liability side.
Speaker 4: Yes, both the r rps and the reserves are on the liability side.
Speaker 3: So and that got huge up to almost two trillions, amazing.
Speaker 4: Remember when they first came out with this, you know, it was back when Bill Dudley was at the New York FED and he was like, we don't want this to be too big, and it's really big. I mean, it's working, it's how them money market funds really love it.
Speaker 3: But so you know, the.
Speaker 4: More comes out of our RP as the FED you know, winds down the balance sheet, the less bank reserves go down. But we and we've seen that move pretty fast now. But people were warning, you know, money market funds might like keeping their cash in bank reserves and the bill body.
Speaker 2: And that's helped with the Fed's balance sheet liquidity, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, because it's like one of those liabilities has to move. So if our rps go down, then reserves don't have to go down as much. It's just kind of like the math and the way it works. So, like Chairman Powell was saying on Congress, like so far this is what we see. And I feel like he was very humble in a good way, and he said, but I mean I remember writing it down.
Speaker 2: He really said that.
Speaker 4: Like he said, we didn't see it coming in twenty nineteen, you know, like we thought we were doing okay. So he was like saying, it's it's not easy. We're trying to be careful. We want a buffer of bank reserves in the system. And of course, like you guys have been talking, we got so much else going on, right We got the FED who raised rates over you know, five hundred basis points over a year, we've got all these other dimensions and we really don't need a REPO crisis, you know, so, and the FED wants QT to keep winding down. So I mean, like I said, we tried to be very common fair. There's a lot of people saying it's going well now FED, could you know they want this QT to just run in the back?
Speaker 2: Can I ask you something? The FED is always doing this right, This is the management of the Fed's balance sheet well scale, but well that's what I'm gonna say. What's different is it because of the scale and the size of the balance sheet that makes it more difficult?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, so they're not always doing QT in a sense. They're either doing q E stability because sometimes they left the balance sheet stable for a while, or they're doing QT making it smaller.
Speaker 3: But again it's.
Speaker 4: Not at this magnitude, right because in the old days, when they didn't have the system they have now, there was not even trillions on the balance sheet. But now they're working in a different schema, so they're allowed to have a big balance sheet, but it's gotten bigger and bigger. But so it's the magnitude and that I think We're just such a precarious time the FED, but it also doesn't want their tools going in opposite directions. They're tightening with rates so far, you know, they haven't stopped. They said it's not a pause, it was a skip in June. People think more is coming and they have this QT tightening. They want in the background not.
Speaker 2: To create it slow it down at any point. Right, No, they haven't, but they could.
Speaker 4: That's another thing they could do. Say they start seeing, you know, kind of creaks in the system that bank reserves are getting tight. Some people have said the FED could say we're going to slow down the roll off. We're going to roll off maybe half of what we're doing. So there are maneuvers that the FED can do. I think Pal and Lori Logan from the Dallas FED spoke recently and said, for now, we think things are working well, you know, kind of plowing along. But I think a lot on the street are saying, just got to kind of keep head on the list of all.
Speaker 3: The things we're worrying about. So, but now that treasuries are actually yielding something, it's got to be so much more attractive for money market funds to move out of the reverse repo facility and buy them for a return.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, now that there's more bills because remember what the debt ceiling, there wasn't enough to buy it. Seems like the government is so big. But the money market funds have nearly six trillion in assets now, so they had a lot. So you're right, Matt, you know, the bill rates were more attractive. But somebody was saying, what also, I feel like there's so many variables here. What also is like unsure is money market funds are doing what they call extending their maturity. Right, they're buying bills. Reverse repos are overnight money. They keep rolling it over. But people say, you know, hey, if you think the Fed's going to raise three more times, why would a money market fund want to lock up right now when in three months they could get a better rate. So that's why some people are warning maybe they'll stop buying as much and keep their money in rope, kind of like we were saying, keeping cash on hand, because hey, if the FED goes to six percent, I'd rather buy three month T bills at six percent. So that's why I feel like there's a lot of uncertainty and the Fed's being very cautious to watch and look at the market metrics and not have a blow up.
Speaker 2: I love this quote in the story, saying everything is okay is like calling the game after the first quarter. So, I mean, I always think about somebody listening who maybe isn't s savvy or just kind of understanding why this should matter.
Speaker 3: As we are.
Speaker 2: Actually every time, I you're right, every time I reasoned realism, like I know nothing. I know nothing, I mean, but so help somebody who's sitting in the car and just like pulled over because they'm like, help me, I don't understand this. So what is it that they have to understand about the importance of something like this and what you write about?
Speaker 4: Right? Well? I always think of my father, who's in his late eighties and a G. E.
Speaker 2: Stock guy.
Speaker 4: He always says, I love what you do.
Speaker 3: I don't know what any of it means.
Speaker 2: But it's good stuff.
Speaker 4: But I try to explain to him Dad, like things like this mean if the banks get under pressure, right, and it's more costly for them to borrow, they don't have enough cash buffer, you know, bad things could happen, right, you know, there's less liquidity, the financial system could be more on a vulnerable like that to me is the broad thing because remember in twenty nineteen, the FED didn't want to have to plow money into the system like they did when repos blew up, so they kind of had to go counter It creates volatility uncertainty, especially now inflation is still a huge problem, right, So the Fed definitely doesn't want to have to kind of come in and.
Speaker 3: Rush and jet.
Speaker 4: I mean they did it during the regional banking crisis. They will do what they have to do. They kind of back, you know, they are not that resort they are they did that.
Speaker 2: Is there something in the big banks when they report then in regards to this and just got about forty five seconds that you're going to be like listening out for that might give you some clues.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean they'll talk about reserve levels. Is there I don't think we're there yet. You know, there's still like three chillion in reserves.
Speaker 3: But if they're talking about.
Speaker 4: A little bit reserve scarcity or that they want more cushion because they're concerned about the outlook, you know, that'll be things that my kind of hint at, you know, or is the financial and tighter lending standards, all that kind of stuff. We'll be watching.
Speaker 3: That's what I watch for tighter land standards, I know, and I still want to buy more cars.
Speaker 2: They're cheaper now, right.
Speaker 6: I don't have any.
Speaker 3: Money, so I have to borrow to do that.
Speaker 2: Leverage, leverage, leverage. I hope it doesn't cost a lot. Truly, we mean it. It's we all get smarter when we read your stories. This is Kapa McCormick. She's Bloomberg News Chief correspondent for Global Macro Markets. Her story, by the way, it is among the most read on the Bloomberg has been there all day and it really says a lot about kind of the environment we are. And just to remind you of some other pressures that are out there, matt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely. I mean this is nothing to you. I think tightening financial conditions, which is what the FED wants to do, right, yes, type up f con go and they still have ways to go.
Speaker 2: Slow down, everybody, slow down, all right, Carol Masser along with Matthew Miller and for Tim Stenevick, you're listening and watching Bloomberg Business Week on this Monday on radio, on YouTube on Bloomberg Originals. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Weeks. Catch us live weekday afternoons from three to six Eastern Listen on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube go.
Speaker 2: She don't know, all right, Everybody, we mentioned earlier about the FEDS top banking regulator moving app cap requirements, especially for the big banks. This as we get ready for those big banks to report. This is what we were all just talking about. So we wanted to get kind of a check on the overall environment. Matt, get ready for that your earning season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very much, looking forward, although it doesn't happen till Friday, right, Yeah, we are. We gonna be looking forward to Friday every day this week. We just started. It's only Monday.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, rewind, rewind, repeat, rewind repeat. That's how this week is going to be, all right. So let's see what our guest has to say. Robertogoss is Senior Managing Director, head of the bank, loan and clo Platform at Pretium, which I think will be very interesting to see what she has to say. It's a specialized investment firm with approximately fifty billion in assets under management. They focus on US residential real estate, residential credit, and corporate credit. In December, she was named one of the most Notable Women on Wall Street by Crane's New York Business. She joins us on Zoom in New York City. ROBERTA, nice to have you here with Matt and myself. Welcome, Welcome, How do you see the environment from your vantage point? And remind us exactly what you see and what you do at Pretium?
Speaker 7: Sure, so, Hi, Carol and Matt, thank you for having me this afternoon. So my group invests in leverage loans, so predominantly instruments that make up LBOs and leverage credit.
Speaker 6: Very diverse group of.
Speaker 7: Industries, but I think very impacted by, as you said, the earnings cycles so far this year that's been above expectations. I think most companies have exceeded expectations. And I also think the regional bank crisis and the health of banks has been a big impact over the course of this year and pricing in the loan market more generally.
Speaker 3: So, how have leverage loans been doing, especially as everybody's so freaked out about commercial real estate, you know, and a lot of those loans, I guess were floating rates, so borrowers got in near zero and now they're looking at not near zero, yes.
Speaker 6: At zero. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So leverage loans this year have actually performed quite well through the first half of the year, the leverage loan index close to seven percent, six and three quarter percent, but that was with some degree of volatility. So as we went through the region bank crisis in March, the loan market went from a high of ninety four to a low of ninety two and have largely recovered back to the highs of February. That has been almost entirely driven by corporate earnings as we went through Q four and Q one. But I would expect a little more volatility as we go through the back half of this year, but I don't believe it will be as noted as we saw in March.
Speaker 3: Really is that because companies were doing so well that they're able to continue to meet their you know, to make payments. Because if you borrowed money FIRS say four percent, and now you're paying twelve.
Speaker 2: That's that's problematic, painful, right.
Speaker 7: It is what is really driving the sort of exceeding expectations over the course of this year, is that we already experienced a lot of volatility through twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two. And I've talked about this in the past, which is this is largely a function of corporate margins, which were dramatically compressed over the last really twenty four months. We're starting to see as inflation starts to ease, that's helping on the margin side, even as we're seeing the top line start to decelerate. On the interest rate impact, yes, we've seen libor effectively go from zero to mid five and a half percent over the last year. And most I would say fifty to sixty percent of most companies total loans outstanding in the loan market are hedged. That being said, there's some companies that are completely unhedged, but most leverage companies raise liquidity well ahead of expectations and need.
Speaker 2: So, in other words, a lot we're already doing that.
Speaker 7: Yes, so we've seen companies, as a result of the inflation pressures, really try to raise cash out of working capital, so raise liquidity, raise liquidity in the loan market, and I think the majority of businesses are well positioned even with sort of continued rate hike expectations over the balance of this year.
Speaker 2: So I am curious, what's the demand, what's the default rate that you are seeing, give us an idea and what it tells you about, maybe more broadly, the hell of maybe the corporate market.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I think one of the indicators that we look at, or one of the stats we look at every day, is the number or the percentage of loans that are trading below ninety so ninety being a level where stress starts to become a concern for a company. In the mid sort of lows of March when we were in the midst of the banking crisis, that percentage reached over twenty percent since then, and as of this week that number has reduced to thirteen percent. So we still think that defaults are on the rise. We're calling for three and a half percent this year, so effectively a doubling from when we are where we are mid year, and then accelerating next year to four and a half percent. And I think one of the key differentiators this year is going to be what's the expectation on the recovery from those defaults, which we believe will be substantially lower than the historic average.
Speaker 2: We're calling not great, right, not great, not.
Speaker 7: Great, but we think that uh, you know, uh, earnings will continue to drive the market. We've seen very little primary supply. I think the one big announcement last week and this goes to your commentary around banks or banks prepared to lend the large money center banks underwrote or was it was announced a very large lb O, the first we've seen over the last couple of years, UH to be announced with the acquisition of World Pay out of Fidelity National Information Systems, with the expectation that that will bring somewhere on the order of nine billion dollars of new debt to our markets.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's going to continue? Is that going to be Is that the beginning of a new trend?
Speaker 7: I believe it could be.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 7: So this is a deal that's slated for after Labor Day, and I think that this could be a signal for more new transactions to come.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: Cooret, Well, something to mark our calendars. Keep an eye on.
Speaker 5: Roberta.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Come back soon, ROBERTA.
Speaker 1: Goss.
Speaker 2: She's senior managing director, head of the bank, Loan and coll platform at Predium, joining us on Zoom from New York City. I love things like that because it just gives me another view, right, unlike the health of how things are, yeah, or how things are.
Speaker 3: Out there, especially considering how interested in private credit you are.
Speaker 2: I am an investor. Can they solve everything? Matt?
Speaker 3: No, definitely.
Speaker 2: Can we have a clearer picture of what they're trying to do? Apparently not.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from three to six Easter on Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Business App, and YouTube. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Well, talk about a pretty successful launch, Matt. It's been confirmed on meta platform rocketing to one hundred million users in less than a week. The threads threads, threads sorry answer to Twitter Yeah, threads Yeah.
Speaker 3: I you know, I've been thinking about for the last few days companies getting to one hundred million users because somebody told me it took uber like years to get to one hundred million users, and then chat gpt did it in two months, And that was someone was telling me the stats to show me how quickly chat GPT has grown, but then Threads did it in five days. Pretty remarkable, and it is pretty remarkable. It's understandable because all you need to do is kind of click one button from your Instagram account.
Speaker 2: It's still early on. We've got a great roundtable to kind of get into it because Evercore I saw coming out Mark Mahaney part of that team and saying that it could generate over about eight billion in annual revenue over the next two years. So let's get to it with us. Is Mark Mahaney. He is senior Managing Director, head of Internet Research at Evercore II on the phone in San Francisco, also with us as our own Bloomberg Intelligence senior technology analyst man deep seeing with us in our studio. Mark, let me start with you talk to us about this call because you are thinking, you in the team that Threads will reach close to two hundred million daily active users and generate that eight billion in two weeks. Talk to us about this call.
Speaker 8: Well, we'll see. But it is impressive how quickly it's ramped up. And there's some at least two major advantages that Meta has in terms of rolling out a public marketplace real time news and commentary app kind of like Twitter. The two major event The one is that they start with a huge installed base just on Instagram of one and a half billion, roughly daily average users. And the second thing is this is a company that's very good at monetizing online engagement or online usage, a certainly relative to Twitter. I mean, I think their average revenue per user is two to three x that of Twitter, at least last disclosed by Twitter. And that's because they're just they put more effort into it. They've got more data scientists working on creating ads, targeting ads, and finding audiences against which the ads are most effective and most relevant. And so those are two big structural advantages that Meta has. Now, whether one hundred million people who've signed up so far really becomes two hundred million daily average users, that's a big gap. Still, you can get to two hundred million, but the question is people who've signed up. But but how many of those are actually using on a daily basis. I mean, they're about two hundred and fifty million people that use Twitter on a daily basis, so that that's really kind of TBD, and I think for that to really happen, we're going to need to see much more than what Threads is offered so far. I mean, it's it's nice, good functionality, but it needs to be better than what Twitter offers.
Speaker 3: Man, deep, let me get your take on this. I signed up right away just because Instagram made it so easy. But then I realized it's exactly like Twitter. I don't know how that's legal, and it was just as like dull to me and annoying as Twitter. So I deactivated my account already.
Speaker 2: It Almost everybody else is routing they're rooting for, you know, an alternative platform here.
Speaker 5: And part of the reason is Twitter has changed its algorithm so much to the point that they have alienated their creator base. Like the creator base had a certain fo following, and right now if I go to my feed, I don't see the people I follow. It's totally random algorithm. And that algorithm has changed so much that every creator is like, why am I on this platform? And that's where there's a real risk that if the creators are able to build their followers quickly on Threads, I think it will be hard for Twitter to bring that traffic back.
Speaker 2: They also change tweet deck, which I'm really ticked off about. But Mark, I mean just because they write. I mean this is part of that.
Speaker 3: I think, no tweet dich for threads.
Speaker 2: No, not yet, okay, but Mark, I mean the point is, and I think this is what we're getting to. Just because they attract doesn't necessarily mean everybody's going to be really productive users or you know, active, active users. Correct, we just don't know. Time will tell.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, that's right. And again you know there's interesting features and functionality. I guess one thing I'm trying to do is figure out, like who are the biggest followers on Twitter, and there'd be some tipping points. And amongst those top five followers, I think, are you know, former President Obama Justin Bieber. If you to see Bieber go over to threads, that would be an eye opener. I mean, now the number one person on Twitter with the most followers is a guy who I know is not going to go to threads. That's Elon Musk. But then there are other these celebrities like Rihanna and Cristiana I think is a soccer player, and so you just want to see like people people are going to fight. If major influencers move to threads, people will follow them. And so that's where we're kind of watching. You know, we have some interesting people on on Threads so far, influential people like Kim Kardashian. But you really you need to see how those follower bases build and to see more people go over. And then you want to see the forms and features and functionality improve And I think Zuckerberg and you know has been upfront that this is still kind of an early stage product. So let's see a lot of improvements, a lot of product improvements. And then also the one thing that they can do to materially distance themselves from Twitter is really trying to improve the civility of the platform. Leave this politics aside. You know, it's not a political statement. It's that there was just a lot of uncivil content that drove people away, some people away from Twitter. So if Threads can figure out a way to do that, that's a hard thing to do, But if they can figure out a way to do that, that could be a real nice competitive advantage.
Speaker 5: I mean, Mark, but when you think about, you know, what Meta was trying to do with reels, you know, pivot to videos. Why haven't they integrated videos to begin with? Like why the focus on tech based platform right now?
Speaker 8: Well, you actually do have there are pictures, and now you stumped me. I can't remember if because I've posted pictures on threads so far. So that's good, and there's always was a limit. I agree inherently with the idea that there's a limit to techt based app. I can't remember yet. I got experiment. I'll do this right after this segment. I'll just see whether I can upload video on there to the extent that I as easy as I could on Twitter. There's also some some limits on Twitter that you don't yet have on threads, or at least so you get more space to to to to to type out your thoughts to issue your thoughts on on threads so far. But we'll see how this changes over time, the canation, how quickly it's ramped up.
Speaker 5: You don't see any kindibalzation risk for Instagram or for the core Blue app as a result of Meta launching threads.
Speaker 8: No, that absolutely could happen. So that'll be another thing on two ways, both on the user side and on the advertiser side. But I want to step back. This is what I call an easy extension for Meta. We're not trying to convince people to put on goggles and you know, follow us into the metaverse. We're just saying, hey, you're on Instagram, would you like another way, a different way to publicly you know, follow interact with other people on social issues and doesn't have to be your circle of friends either. It can be broader than that, and so far it looks like there's a pretty strong interest in doing that. It's a win for it, it's a low risk win for meta so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm kind of watching too. I mean, I have got on it.
Speaker 3: But what it seems like it's evolving, Threads is very much still evolving. Someone told me this morning that they don't have hashtags yet, but that that's coming. So I know that Joe Wisenthal was and he wanted a tweet deck kind of thing so that he could use it from his desktop, and apparently that's coming. So a lot of things they're sort of sort of still rolling out. Yes, I am, but have you threaded?
Speaker 6: That's the thing.
Speaker 5: It's still not intuitive enough for me to change my habits. It will happen, but hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 2: All right, Man Deeps saying a Bloomberg intelligence Mark Mahaney, of course, have ever core I s I guys, thank you so much, so appreciate it.
Speaker 5: This is Bloomberg than.
Speaker 1: Bromco a journal.
Speaker 3: How about you let me drive? No, no, no, who's going.
Speaker 1: Hory please?
Speaker 3: I want to drive.
Speaker 6: It's a good question.
Speaker 1: This is the drive to the clothes.
Speaker 6: Think well.
Speaker 1: On Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, just under eighteen minutes left in today's trading session. Carol Master along with Matt Miller. Matt, of course in for Tim. Let's get to it and our drive to the closed guest. Abbe Desbonde back with us, founder and chief investment officer at the registered investment advisor center Stone Investors. Abbe, you might recall a global value investor and he's back with us on zoom in New York City. Abbe, nice to have you here on this Monday. How are you doing very well?
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, this market environment. Is it tough for you to find opportunity right now as a value person?
Speaker 6: Not really.
Speaker 9: I mean we're global investors at center Stone, and as you mentioned, we're value investors, so we're price conscious, and I mean in the international world anyway, there's still plenty of stuff that's out there, plenty of parts of the world that has kind of been disappointed by the the rather slow reopening kind of trade that that people have been pricing in the beginning of the year, which means a lot of disappointment. Still, so whenever there's disappointment, that means there's a price stock prices, which may be kind of looking focusing too much on short term kind of things and miss missing a larger trend. So we're we're able to find plenty to do right now. That said, we're not, you know, we're long term investors. When I say plenty, I mean you can find something new every mouth or so.
Speaker 6: That's why.
Speaker 3: So one of the things you like is Riley Automotive. And you know, somebody was talking this morning about how used car prices have fallen recently, but I note that most of the used cars I look at still costs more than the new model, the exact same one, because the market's held up. So well, why do you like a'riiley?
Speaker 6: So O'Riley?
Speaker 9: It's I mean, it has a very passing kind of correlation to use car prices, but it's it's very indirectly related to that, mostly more directly related to the to the well, let me back up. They sell auto parts to do it yourself kind of tinkerers.
Speaker 6: And also two mechanics who are going to fix your car for you.
Speaker 9: And generally speaking, the longer, the longer the age of the vehicle on the road, the more likely it is to need parts.
Speaker 3: And that number continues to grow. What are we at right now, twelve twelve years?
Speaker 6: Yeah, like ten and a.
Speaker 9: Half eleven years, you know, the last I looked, I think is a loan point two or something. So it's it's it's extended. I mean, it's well beyond the seven years that it used to be you know, maybe a decade ago. So that you know that is related to the price of used cars, right like the more expensive they are, it's harder for people to come turn their cars in. And beyond that, the just the financing for for new vehicles is it's it's tougher and tougher to qualify. So you know, on balance, those two one kind of a longer trend that's been a place for some time. It's extending the age of the fleet. But at the same time, the difficulty and just turnover in the in the in the car market makes it makes that that that tailwind more sticky.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get why more people. I mean, I get why O'Reilly's attractive. And you know, as cars are now so expensive and getting qualified to take a loan to buy a new one is harder and harder, you're going to work on fixing up the car you have. The thing is, I've been hearing people say this for a long time about O'Reilly and the stock has done really well. Is it. It's not a value stock, is it. I'm looking at a chart right now, coming from a year ago at six point fifty now it's trading at nine to sixty one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, it's clearly it's not what it used to be.
Speaker 9: It was thirteen or fourteen times earnings when we bought it, I think it's seven years ago or something. And at that time there was there was you know, the I was more on the potential inroads that Amazon was going to make into their core business and that ended up being a kind of a non event, but it was enough concern to drive the stock down the thirteen times earnings, where you know, people just ignored the longer term, you know, these trends that we've been talking about, but.
Speaker 6: Also in the space of auto parts.
Speaker 9: Retailing O'Reilly to us anyway appears to be the vice quality. I mean, they've got the shortest time to market. It's built to supply the industry mechanics who need parts and turn you know, within an hour. Like it's the only a company that can consistently do that. So they just continue to gain market share. And what they've done is I think shown people that their business model makes this more of a much more of a franchise that it does like AIG what you would maybe associate with the out parts, which is like a more cyclical business.
Speaker 6: That's a lot of the multiple to expand.
Speaker 9: So it's tough, as you said, though, Matt, I mean it's tough to say at twenty six times earnings.
Speaker 6: That this is like the cheapest stock in the world.
Speaker 9: But it's a high quality franch eyes and I think it still deserves the multiple what it has.
Speaker 2: Does it freak you out though a little bit? When Advanced Auto came out and they had some disappointment and dragged the whole sector down, does that potentially bode well or bode poorly?
Speaker 7: Rather?
Speaker 2: Also for O'Reilly, Well, we did you know that?
Speaker 9: Did there was a moment there where like, oh, what do this? Is there something going on that we didn't see. But you know, we've we're familiar with all of the companies in this space, and AP has had had its own kind of issues. I mean, they're very internal to the company and they I don't think it seems it just seems to not reflect on the overall state of the market and maybe more so on on their they're just internal upheaval.
Speaker 2: Sought for one. I want to go there because it's not a company that I was that familiar with. Swiss based company. It services, but it sounds like that there's a specific news event that has got you thinking about this one are interesting and we're talking about this unsolicited offer from being Capital.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so we purchased it before that. I mean, the stock has run up a lot since we bought it, But originally when we bought it was another one of these things where we think where we thought that there is an underlying like a good franchise underlying it. There's this sort of software as a service kind of business that they're they're involved in, but at the time it was being overshadowed by the very slobby financial management of the company. They're growing very rapidly, but their expenses were growing way too far ahead of their actual sales growth, and so that margins were always underwhelming.
Speaker 6: People couldn't quite figure it out.
Speaker 9: Then they got a new management team that that you know, pointed out the very obvious problem, which is a gross margin problem with expenses that they needed to manage kind of you know, sort of third grade financial management really, and he very quickly that new management team, new chairman sort of settle things and put the company on the right road.
Speaker 6: And the stock's been recovering.
Speaker 9: And that came to the notice of Bain, who put in a think, uh, what's broadly agreed to be.
Speaker 6: A low ball offer.
Speaker 9: I don't think they're way off the mark, but you know, if they want a chance of success of acquiring this business, you have to bump that up. If not, we're perfectly happy. And they're they're just starting the whole you know, financial management process, you know, to write the to write the ship. So there's plenty of upsides still even if Bain doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna leave it on that note. I always good to get into some specific names. Abby, Thanks so much. Abbi Desponde, founder and chief investment officer at Centerstone Investors, joining us on Zoom from New York City, New York City or City. I have a car that's ten years old. We just do plan money into it.
Speaker 3: That's what people do with old cars. It's kind of but it's very part of the phone.
Speaker 2: Our garage is like, when you go to sell it, sell it to us, We're like, I bet Carl Master, Matt. You're listening to Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcast. Listen live weekday afternoons from three to six Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg Jurmalone