Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome back to bet your Happy Hour. I'm Joe and I'm Serena, and.
Speaker 2: We are here today with a little New Year's Eve episode.
Speaker 1: Just Serena and I chatting it up, talking about this year, next year, and all the things in between.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get into twenty twenty five, a little bit about us and our year and the we're gonna do a little bit about the podcast in our twenty twenty five recap and review all.
Speaker 5: The things in between.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's get uh.
Speaker 1: Let's get personal, twenty twenty five personal. I'm gonna I'm gonna start. You want to go, h question for question here?
Speaker 3: No, you just do it?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, you ready, I'm ready.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's start with this year as a whole.
Speaker 1: When you think back on it, what word would you use to describe it?
Speaker 3: Oh, my god, probably transitional?
Speaker 5: Transitional? Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: I got my Green card this year. I've done a lot of transitioning from Toronto to hear it feels like, despite the fact that I've lived in New York for four years, it's felt like a big transition year on a personal level for me. And professionally, I made some changes this year yeah that have also felt very transitional.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I feel like it's a good word. I turned. How old I turned this year twenty eight twenty eight.
Speaker 4: People say when you turn twenty seven, you develop like this sense of clarity of like what is serving you and what isn't serving you, And I definitely feel like I felt that when I turned twenty seven. I felt like I went into twenty twenty five because I've like a late October birthday being like, Okay, I kind of have a vision for this year, and actually I feel like I executed kind of like all the things that I went into this year wanting to do, and some things, you know, were surprises or something's got decided like later in the year. But I think overall everything worked out very well and will hopefully continue.
Speaker 3: To work out very well.
Speaker 5: Yeah I didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't love this year personally. I thought it was I actually found it to be.
Speaker 2: Quite stressful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually been more stressful as I would say, Like, it wasn't like the middle of the year was chill, like summer was chill, and it was more like since.
Speaker 2: Like fall. His hit which usually is like the opposite for us, but.
Speaker 1: I have I've been like very anxiety ridden and very stressed out. So I'm actually looking forward to midnight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't disagree.
Speaker 4: I think this has been a big year for both of us for a lot of different reasons. But transition comes with a lot of stress, and change comes with a lot of stress, and decision making comes with a lot of stress, and I think all good things. But I'm looking forward to a less transitional twenty twenty six actually and kind of trying to sync into I don't know, just like sinking into a place where.
Speaker 3: We feel a little more.
Speaker 4: I actually just don't want to transition next year, I guess, is what I'm saying. You know, like we did a lot this year, it feels like and I am just hoping to reap the benefits of those decisions next year.
Speaker 2: Right, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's one moment from this year that really stands out to you?
Speaker 4: M I would say, well, getting my green card was huge. I mean that was like a two and a half year journey and that was just like, yeah, a huge, huge moment in my year that I was working towards for so long. And our trip to Japan and South Korea, I mean really unforgettable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a big one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we've been talking about doing that since we got together. It's been like a dream trip of mine and I'm just so glad we did it this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I agree with both of those, just like even like the montreal of it all of going to get your green car then having getting denied at first because it didn't we didn't have some of the right paperwork, having to go back. My brother got married this year. Yeah, there was that, so probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your best man's speech, my.
Speaker 5: Best man speech.
Speaker 1: What surprised you most about this year? Either personally or professionally.
Speaker 3: Surprised me most.
Speaker 1: It really surprised me how painful it would be to lose a tone from the marathon two months later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Joe a few weeks ago had his big toe cut off my sorry, his big toe nail.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: They had to stick of needle in there numb at five times, slice it open. I watched the whole thing almost passed out.
Speaker 2: It was horrible. Really has has made me really consider running marathons in the future, like it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, it is so hard on your body, not just your body, like anyone that runs a marathon. Yeah, impact on your body is intense, I make no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: It's one thing to deal with, like you know, being sore and everything for like a week after and all that, Like that's but like then when we linger on for like a couple of months, where like now that I have like a toenail that's half off, I gotta go get it removed. And then like the pain of them like all right, like I love it, like pay no game whatever.
Speaker 2: But like no, no, I'm not I'm.
Speaker 5: Not a professional athlete. I don't need to do it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so stay tuned for him running the marathon twenty twenty six because I just feel like I feel like it's one of those things like you know how they say pregnant women give birth and it's like incredibly painful, but you get this rush of endorphins after you give birth that kind of makes you forget how painful it was, and because of that, women can do it again and again and again.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like that happens with the marathon too, Like I feel like, for three months after, you're like that was so hard. My body took such a beating, and then all of a sudden, August rolls around and you're like, why wouldn't I do it again?
Speaker 1: I sometimes thinking to think about the act of having a baby of like the like delivering a child just like Carrie and not even just delivering it, carrying it for nine months has to a be so uncomfortable. Yes, it just has to be like I would be. That would be like driving me insane. How uncomfortable that has to be. And then pushing it out of such a small.
Speaker 3: Pushing it out of your body.
Speaker 2: Pushing it out of you.
Speaker 1: It is so like just that, Like if you actually sit back and just think about what's happening.
Speaker 5: It is so insane. It's like so wild, is it's.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, women are just out here making.
Speaker 2: People, making people. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: We are really all just you know, animals.
Speaker 1: Okay, last question that will jump to twenty twenty five podcasts. Okay, what's something you're more intentional about in your relationships now than you were a year ago?
Speaker 4: Choose wisely something that you're more intentional about in your relationship? Yes, I think for us, I was actually just thinking about this today. Is having a balance between work time together and.
Speaker 3: Personal time together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we struggle with that, which is fine because we both love working. We love working together, but we both work from home together in our apartment that we live in, so there's like no boundaries, which most of the time is fine. But I think that's something that we are starting to become more intentional about and can get even better at next year.
Speaker 2: Which is Serena's way of telling me to chill out.
Speaker 5: Fair, Which is.
Speaker 4: Fair because that doesn't have an off switch. He really doesn't, and.
Speaker 5: No, I don't, and it keeps me up at night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's not good for you either. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and he'll be like on his email at two in the morning. Okay, but wait, there's another question on here. I'm gonna ask, and you have to answer too. What are you becoming more intentional about with your relationships?
Speaker 2: With my relationships?
Speaker 3: It doesn't even have to be with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's I think it's more about.
Speaker 2: I feel like I do a good job of this.
Speaker 1: But I think it's just just spending you know, quality time with uh, you know, friends, family, and just like enjoying you know, relationships in person in person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think it's just like I know.
Speaker 2: I think I want to try to be able to.
Speaker 1: Like something that I enjoyed this year that I didn't get to do too much of, but I do enjoy like Next year, I'm going to prioritize like being able to go off a little more with my friends.
Speaker 3: I can't even believe you just said that.
Speaker 5: I feel like.
Speaker 2: I feel like that is something that's quite important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you know you feel that way, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do think that's a good good Okay, wait one more before no, and I reject everything you just said, but let one more question that we'll go into podcasts. Is there a habit or mindset you're leaving behind in this past year?
Speaker 3: Okay, So.
Speaker 4: I in the end of this year have been really working on my relationship with my phone. I got a hatch alarm clock so that I don't sleep with my phone beside my bed, and Joe and I have been puzzling at nighttime so that we have something to do when we watch TV that's.
Speaker 3: Not scroll on Instagram. But I want to continue.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I'll be able to leave that in twenty twenty five, because I just don't think that's realistic. But I want to continue working on my relationship with phone and social media. I actually don't feel like I have an unhealthy relationship with social media in terms of.
Speaker 3: Like a comparison mindset.
Speaker 4: I just feel like I genuinely reach for it, like as a like a thoughtless habit that I don't need to. Like I'll get in an elevator and I'll try to open Instagram.
Speaker 3: What are you doing? You're going down seven floors? Like that's insane. Yeah, so I want to work on that, and I want to my other habits.
Speaker 2: This is like this is also like hybrid of a New Year's resolution type thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the hybrid of a Newyear's resolution, and my other one I think would be.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I want to work on, like keeping a less cluttered environment.
Speaker 4: I do think we're actually pretty tidy, but I just think I could I let things pile up and then I do like a big tidy just trying to be more discipline of being on top of it is a habit I want to leave in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: I love that for you, what about you?
Speaker 5: I think that would be great for me as well.
Speaker 2: I will say that I need to.
Speaker 1: Like the truth is I am very much a.
Speaker 2: Free spirit more of.
Speaker 1: I'm more of, you know, just like hippiesque like I'm very chill person. You are in you aret like no I am, And sometimes I lose that side of me because I have I.
Speaker 2: Have serious psychological issues.
Speaker 1: With constantly worrying about things going wrong anxiety. I just can't like I am instantly like I go through pockets of every year.
Speaker 5: When I say pockets.
Speaker 1: Months just internally and outwardly panicking about things that just are a out of my control and be like I do this every year and every year it's fine, and I keep doing it. So I need to work on going back to who I truly am, which you know is definitely more on the hippie chill.
Speaker 4: I don't even know where you are not chill or free spirited, and I can be, but I wouldn't say you are at your core?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I want to. I need to spend a little more. I need to prioritize like.
Speaker 5: More nature.
Speaker 3: I love that. I would love to spend more time in nature.
Speaker 5: I need.
Speaker 1: I need more time in nature to get back to my core of who who?
Speaker 3: Who you want to be?
Speaker 1: I not who I want to be? Who I really am.
Speaker 3: I just don't know why you think you're a chill.
Speaker 2: Free spirited person like I am so chill.
Speaker 3: I would say you're chill with me, and I like.
Speaker 5: Relationship in general.
Speaker 4: But as a person, you're pretty You got some big feelings and that's okay.
Speaker 3: I love that about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's it's it's it's about how I express those feelings.
Speaker 3: Yes, everyone has processed those feelings.
Speaker 5: Everyone has big feelings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you have a lot of big feelings in one day that are very different from one another.
Speaker 5: They fight with feature.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk a little bit about twenty twenty five podcasts and okay, so now let's we're gonna review Happy Hour twenty twenty five. All right, So when you look back on this year, what's a conversation or guest that really stood out to you?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, are we doing our twenty twenty five Batchel? Happy Hour wrapped?
Speaker 2: I love a wrap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, let's give me one.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, can I tell you something.
Speaker 4: My number one Uber eats order on my Uber wrapped this year was Chipotle, and I really would love for them.
Speaker 3: To send me a gold card.
Speaker 4: But I was only the top ten percent and I think if I get into the top like three percent, maybe they'll do it.
Speaker 3: Chipotle. If you're listening, how do you see?
Speaker 5: You're wrapped?
Speaker 3: You go to uber it was there and it's called your you Ber.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm on you.
Speaker 3: Do you see it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Oh, it might be gone. Now you might have missed it.
Speaker 5: I might have missed it.
Speaker 4: But this is the Bachelor Happy Hour twenty twenty five rapped kind of okay, which is so fun?
Speaker 1: All right, So is there when you look back on this year, is there a conversation or guests that really stood out? And now when we talk about this year, we have Grant season of The Bachelor and then No Bachelorette, Yes, Bachelor in Paradise and Golden Yes, and then obviously like the in Betweens people that we know that have come on, if any of those conversations stood out to you?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, what would it would? What would it be?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to go with our interview with Jeremy. We got to do that in person at that I Hurt studio in New York, which was really nice for us because we don't get to do a lot of interviews in person, and.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hate to say it was fun for us because he.
Speaker 4: Was like really going through it and there was a lot of opinions about his time on the show and the way he was acting. But I do love it when we get the opportunity to give someone who's kind of in the heat of like who's going through it, going through it and like in the fire, to sit down with them and give them the space to share their story.
Speaker 5: And how they're handling it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how they're handling it, what they're going through. I think it.
Speaker 4: He was you know, he was open to being honest with us, and we were excited to give him that space, and we like Jeremy and Yeah, I just thought that that felt good, being like, oh, like, we're gonna use this podcast to give this guy his moment, and that opportunity doesn't always present itself.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I agree, that's a good that's a good call. And there is just something about interviewing people in person that it just makes it like we could have good conversations over Zoom.
Speaker 2: We do, but it just makes it a more I just feel like the guest.
Speaker 1: Is more comfortable totally, because sometimes you can't always pick up on our energy over you know, this little laptop screen and yeah, I think people could come on and be very like cautious of just us. Yeah, and it just makes it harder for people to want to open up, which I totally understand. So there is that connection in person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and yeah, it looks like.
Speaker 1: Bailey and Jeremy are still really happy. So happy for them. What's something about hosting the podcast this year that people might not realize?
Speaker 4: I mean there's so much I feel like we don't real dive into the behind the scenes of this podcast or how it works. I guess something people might not realize maybe they do, is like we fully set up and take down a podcast studio in our living room every single time we record this. Like we have a light on us right now, we have like full blown mic stands, we have systems attached to a work laptop, like we're doing our audio on garage band like we do. There's like a whole set in here right now to record this podcast that we literally set up and take down every recording.
Speaker 1: It's also a very chaotic space right now too, with like the Christmas tree and the lights.
Speaker 2: And then dry and Yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Going on off camera in this space.
Speaker 4: But we do our best to make it look cute on zoom.
Speaker 1: And then you obviously always want to prep for anyone that you're interviewing, even though like we watch them on the show. You want to get a little you know, background into the But sometimes I like to do less because I like to learn as I go, like on the Spot, because I'm a very free spirited, curious, very curious person that when someone says something that I find intriguing, I want to know more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, curious George, curious, curious Joe over here, I'd.
Speaker 1: Lose it by mid Is there something you've learned as a host about listening, asking questions or just showing up for our conversations? I could go first on that. Okay, Yeah, I would say from doing this podcast and interviewing people, definitely I've learned. Just I don't think I was a really judging person ever going into this, but like you know, always always sitting here being aware that there are two sides to every story and even if the person is wrong, you know, people make mistakes, and like I think it's just going into every conversation not being judgmental because it's easy to do and you watch something like what Reality TV is great at is making you feel a certain way about a certain person, and it's like these are people and they're going through it, and even if they're not aware of the mistake they made, like you know, let's take it easy. So I think it's just like giving people as much grace as possible because none of us are perfect. And like, sure, it's easy for us now because we were a successful story on the show and everything went really well for us, and we are in control of this podcast, so we could kind of, you know, we have a little more control. But like it's you know, being able to just like understand, like, hey, it's just not as easy for some people, and some people don't get as lucky as we did, and that's just.
Speaker 5: To just be like mindful of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like anyone that comes on this podcast, we never have any preconceived plan to paint them in a certain life or light or make them come off a certain way. Like we really want to be a blank canvas for them to come on and tell their story their way so that people can see their point of view. I think that my thing from a more like logistical perspective is being prepared with questions and like the main things that we want to get to the bottom of and ask these people. Obviously we want to be prepared and like know what the big topics are that we need to cover. But when they're answering a question, like not being like, Okay, we need to talk about this next, so like we're gonna ask this next, like really listening to what they're saying and letting their answer guide us into what our next question is. Yeah, So it doesn't just feel like question answer, question answer. Try to make it feel fluid and like a conversation. And you know, if they say something interesting in their answer, like pulling that thread.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that that is one of the more challenging that's very.
Speaker 3: I still struggle with that sometimes.
Speaker 1: And that's also the challenging part of Zoom and Over and not in person.
Speaker 3: Interviews because it doesn't feel as intimate or personally.
Speaker 1: It just makes it harder to get like, it makes it harder for the conversation to flow more organically and be able to pull things when Zoom is involved. Cool, let's go one more and then we will wrap this thing. Has doing this podcast changed how you think about Bachelor Nation or the people who come out of it. I've kind of always had, for the most part, the same thoughts as far as like everyone's like, like I've I don't know if I've ever had a bad interaction with anybody off the show that I've that that's been on the show. Like even if you watch somebody, you're like, that person's a dick, Like, I don't think I've ever had a bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say I'm pretty much always pleasantly surprised by our guests. Yeah, And like I think that's a good thing for people watching to keep in mind, is like even if you think you can't stand this person, you'll probably meet them in person and be like, oh, never mind, Like they're great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, definitely great. Well that wraps it.
Speaker 1: That is a twenty twenty five Make sure you download has described to batter a happy hour and everyone have a happy New Year's Eve and good luck for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: We hope you.
Speaker 4: Stay safe and you ring in the new year however you wish to in the best way possible. Thanks for listening for the last year with us, Happy twenty twenty five, and here's to an amazing twenty twenty six. We'll have Newance This have interviews for you guys every single week. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Fie