Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Katty arm Strong and Katty and He Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 2: I'm not you know, I'm not trying to impress you. I'm just trying to impress upon you. I'm like you. I'm no better than you.
Speaker 1: I'm an idiot, I'm stupid. What you can't fit a man of ice cream?
Speaker 3: Stead If you heard the like longer version that Mark Halprin had to drag out of him, it's a fairly compelling story of a learning disability that he was able to overcome and become a sixesimul guy. But if you just sit in front of people and say, hey, you dumb, I'm dumb too. I can't even read, you know, if you present like that, it's not that handy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A couple of great articles out in the last couple of days, one in the Wall Street Journal about it's hard to find somebody with the strength and the stamina and the smarts to run for president.
Speaker 4: It's extremely difficult.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's going to speak to that in a few minutes with another part of an interview.
Speaker 1: Right, And it's by a guy by the name of Kenneth Kachigian, and the he highlights AOC and Gavin and I wish we had time to get into the AOC thing. I'll just read you a very short bit of it for starters. AOC is public speaking is agonizingly amateurish. She reads speeches like a seventh grader. Her eyes start up and down in a manner that Betray wrote memorization, not scholarship, et cetera, et cetera. And then he gets into Gavin Newsom in the poorer circuit, on the interview circuit with the book and the I'm like you, I'm no better than you, and he gets into how that was just terrible. We've covered that pretty thoroughly. But then he says, for the twenty two years since he became mayor of San Francisco, mister Newsom hasn't driven the freeways or pumped his own gasoline.
Speaker 4: It sad.
Speaker 1: Bodyguards protecting him in public California political media, with a few exceptions, have been friendly or neutral. His governance reflects a generational failure to dive into the substance of policy and study the political and cultural depths of the American people, etc. He just does not have the stuff, he says. And then in the Free Press, Newsom looks small in the face of a big war. He's tried to make himself a national figure and a figure who's into foreign policy.
Speaker 4: With the war, and let's see who is this.
Speaker 1: In the Free Press, Peter Savadnik writes was unsettling to watch California Governor Gavin Newsom on Monday spouting off a rejiggered blood libel this week, and not simply because Democrats have mostly succumbed to fashionable jew eight quote. We have to reconcile our bombs were used or Israeli bombs were used to kill children, young girls at a school, and what the imminent threat was he said at a press conference meant to slam Donald Trump's war on Iran. Might sound Anna dyne, who could possibly be against saving little girls, But it's not. It's the old trope of the Jew as murderer of gentile children and more to the point, the asymmetrical anger when it comes to all things Jewish. Apologies Israel I'm sorry, I apologize Israeli never mind.
Speaker 4: Then he goes into the details of it, but he had.
Speaker 1: No harsh words at all, for the Mullahs had no harsh words for machine gunning the people of Iran in the streets.
Speaker 4: And then he's the final shot is right now?
Speaker 1: The most important thing is that the front runner for the twenty eight Democratic presidential nomination seems congenitally incapable of rising above his tribe and conceiving of the war as anything other than yet another opportunity for politicking, for taking a few shots and scoring some points.
Speaker 4: Is way too important for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting because it would have been so easy to come out and say, I'm glad the Ayatola is gone. There's a terrible regime. We're better off without it. But we got to do this smart. We all remember Iraq, you know that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would it be easy to do. Yeah, he's really steered into the Israel's in apartheid state. Yeah, blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Er shouldn't let them force us into war.
Speaker 3: I mean, the number of politicians that get drug into the Twitter conversation as if Twitter is America, it's practically everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of.
Speaker 3: The things Trump understands better than a lot of other people that Twitter is not America.
Speaker 1: I've been saying for a while, like Gavy cannot hit major league pitching. He's the product of one party, very soft media state. He's never faced major league pitching and he can't hit it. But putting aside the specifics, you've got his record which is just unbelievably terrible and so easy to hang around his neck. A couple of recent interviews we thought were illustrative. Let's start with the clip sixty Michael. It's Katie Couric, who apparently is still podcasting or something with Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 5: It's poverty rate tied with Louisiana the highest unemployment, and as Nick Christoph of The New York Times recently wrote, Mississippi schools outperformed California schools, especially for poor kids. Now people see that or hear that or read that, and they're like, no thanks California, No thanks, Gavin Newsom, We're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the poverty rate is you're talking about the supplemental poverty rate.
Speaker 4: Our cavity rates about average.
Speaker 2: And we're right up there with Florida and Louisiana and others with the supplemental poverty rate, which has been the case for forty years. And the original sin. There is housing, which has been a problem in California since Ronald Reagan left office as governor, and we simply have a supplied demand in balance, and we have zoning policies and nimbiism that have been legendary, and we've finally broken it. Was some of the most progressive housing reforms in US history. Our biggest critics, like Ezra Kleine, would even acknowledge that progress in that respect.
Speaker 1: Ezra Kline is not your biggest critic. Oh my god, that's hilarious. That's pretty funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that places record is abysmal.
Speaker 1: He is very skilled, though, at pointing to the problems that decades of democratic rule have brought California and saying this is a challenge we're taking on.
Speaker 4: We're taking it on boldly and innovatively.
Speaker 3: I understand why politicians don't bring people along for the ride. What's the supplemental poverty rate? I don't know what that is. Why wouldn't he explain it? Maybe because it hurts his argument. Maybe I don't know. I have no idea what it means. And then do you want to set up the clip with Mark Halpern. Yeah, this is not This is definitely not a bashion Gavin Newsom sort of clips. It's just a gives you an idea for one thing, what it's like to run for president. Gavin does present this as unique to him, but I guarant it's true for anybody who ever decides.
Speaker 4: To try to run for the biggest office in the world.
Speaker 6: So what would you say to all the people, including i'll say governor, some of your own advisors who contact me and say, Mark, you look like an idiot when you say got to do Some might not run or won't run.
Speaker 4: What would you say to all those people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just that they're wrong and they should be cautious about that. That said, look, you got to have I've said this one hundred times.
Speaker 4: It's the niche set.
Speaker 2: You gotta have a big enough why to endure any how. You just describe the how, how the hell you endure the slings and arrows. These guys, look, I'm not They want to take me out. And you don't even know the half of it. You all think you know the half of it. Everybody you're writing, you don't know the half of what these guys are doing.
Speaker 4: The Trump administrations do it.
Speaker 2: You know what they're capable of doing, you know, intuitively what they're doing. I have a better sense of what they actually are doing.
Speaker 4: This. This is zero sum for them. They want to flatten me. I get it. So it's not that.
Speaker 2: But you know what, right now, the reason I'm leaning in is because I have a why and it's burning and I'm gonna stand up and I'm gonna draw a line. And we Drew Lawnes literally here with proposition fifty and I'm gonna push back, and I'm gonna push it and I'm gonna hit this bully back in the mouth. I don't like what's going on in this country. I don't period, full stop. I'm not counting it. And anyway, I don't like what's going on primetime Fox. I don't. I don't like the racism, the anti I don't like any of this. And so I'm gonna call it out. If I feel that way, You sure as hell better know that I will run for president as it relates to the future of this country. But you're right that has to be backed up with the family first, and I will not screw that up. So your answer is, yes, they all have a veto. Every single one of those kids have a veto.
Speaker 1: If you have a burning in your wy you probably need a shot of a penicillin. But yeah, your state mandates that parents not be told that little children are gender transitioning at school. Your state mandates that kids be caught taught critical queer theory and transgender theory.
Speaker 4: It's in the law.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants that to that stuff of You don't know the half they're trying to take me out. You don't know half of that what they're willing to do. And he's acting like it's the Trump people, Rama Manual's people, ah, what's her name? Are the vice president who just ran Kamala Harris's people, Josh Shapiro's people, They're gonna come at him just as hard or already. Are so pretending like it's just the Trump crowd that wants to lay him out. I know enough about I've read enough books about people who run for president. You got to get through your own party first, and that's where the fights are usually the nastiest. Right, So, but that is an interesting one. I don't know if I believe it. I think some people legit don't run for office because of what it would do for their family. I think he's he's wondering, what do they have, what do they not have?
Speaker 1: What do they know? What do they not know?
Speaker 3: And if it crosses a certain line, if it would be painful enough for him, he might He's not gonna run. But I don't think it's each kid gets a veto. And if one kid says, I don't.
Speaker 1: Want you to dad, I've got baseball season, I don't think that's Honestly, I wor you. Gavin was saying, I'm not willing to be that mean, but that was me iver attracted.
Speaker 4: I really do.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's gonna let that be the primary decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree, and you know, the lawlessness will be hung around his neck. California led the way in locking up even four dollars products. You just can't buy things at stores because there's so much crime, and that's going to be impossible to get through. But back to your point about the primary process, this sort of thing will come up, and I'll end with this thought. Mister Newsom's original sponsor and mentor California is legendary. Willie Brown told Politico that mister Newsom is formidable because he's quote a movie star. Politico then asked, quote, is it clear what Newsom actually believes? Brown answered quote, I don't know. I've never asked him. For fear, he doesn't for fear he doesn't know. Oh wow. And then this mister Kachigian who wrote this article said miss Ronald Reagan was an actual movie star, but he knew what he believed. Wow. Can you run on? You might be able to actually can you run on? Only? I oppose Trump. Trump is awful, thinks he can.
Speaker 3: I think it'd be harder for him to get the nomination than to become president. But I could be wrong. I just think they're good. The other Democrats are just gonna kill him. Rum Immanuel is going to subject him to such a beating. They're going to step in and stop the fight.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like when that transgender fellas started punching the poor women in the Olympics. Everybody's going to react with how stop rom stop the last Jake Paul fight be.
Speaker 4: Like that exactly.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting that Mark Alprin's still going with the I don't even think he's gonna run angle. I yeah, it's possible. I mean, for the love of God, it is March of twenty twenty six, as we speak these words, I think his missteps and mediocrity will just accumulate and accumulate to the point that no, the donors say, no.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I think it'd be a pretty big void though, if he decided, if he announced he's not running, it's all of a sudden, really wide open.
Speaker 1: Then. Yeah, But as I was pointing out, by the day it, you know, could happen over the course of the next year, a year and a half, and other other folks will step to the four people will start announcing here in eight months, nine months, which is a long time, no doubt about that. I think I had one more thing I was going to say about this. I remember what I was givin hiss running for prison. Oh always.
Speaker 3: You remember clear back to two thousand and four, Al Gore came within like a you know, couple of votes of being President of the United States, that announced in two thousand and four. Everybody assumed he was going to run again, that he'd be the walk away nomine and then just announced I'm not running. So you never know what people have got going on in their lives. And then he this climate scam going. You can't believe how much money I'm making right, which might have been part of it. Okay, we got more on the way stare So the key to this here topical news joke from Jimmy Fallon.
Speaker 1: Here is the crowd reaction. Here we go. President Trump fired Christine nome kta just in case you didn't hear me out.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, Christine nom is out. In response, tome said, if my face could move, it would look really sad.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 1: That was quite the crowd react into that news.
Speaker 4: Well, she has no constituency left.
Speaker 3: How much of that is I don't like the way immigrants are being treated, and how much of that is just a blow against the Trump crowd.
Speaker 4: I think it's mostly the latter. Hm, I disagree.
Speaker 1: I think the I think that the craziness of Minneapolis turns so many people against DHS and ICE. I was just looking at the ASP. But she's got no Republican support either. She has just no supporters.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to.
Speaker 3: I've been trying to figure out this for a long time. If this is just flat misogynist to comment on her really really cares a lot about looking sexy as a government official, That just seems weird to me, is that wrong? And massages? I mean Pete Exit good looking guy. You know, he makes sure his hair looks cool and he wears really tight T shirts a lot to show off the how you know how Buffy is all the time?
Speaker 1: Is that exactly the same thing.
Speaker 3: But man her with their shiny lips in the wear it's in a at work is just it's most people.
Speaker 1: Most women aren't like that at work. Yeah. I don't think it's massages that word you used exactly, but you gotta be careful. There's a bigger gulf between a woman who looks very good in business like and somebody who's glammed up were dudes. It's there's really not a lot of difference. I dress to impress a woman. I look like I'm running for president. True, that's true. But I just saw the ads of her.
Speaker 3: The two hundred million dollar add by the lot of went to friends of hers, maybe rightly maybe wrongly that she blamed on Trump. And that's the real reason I think that she got fired because when she was questioned the other day, did Trump know about this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Trump apparently did not know about that. And don't you freaking hang me out on this?
Speaker 1: No, way.
Speaker 3: That's when that was a no, you're done. But I saw the ads of her on the horse and a cowboy hat, and they're looking like you look like you're running for Miss America. I mean, there's just no getting around it. You're super tight jeans and shirt. You look like you're running from Miss America or trying to be an influencer or something. I mean, I guess specifically you are trying to influence people or your policies about the border.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: A weird look for somebody that got a very serious job.
Speaker 4: And she's out now. So that's that.
Speaker 3: Harry Styles has a new album out, which I'm kind of excited about because I'm Harry Styles fan. The name of it is Funny Kiss All the Time Disco Occasionally. That's a funny name for an album, kind of like his music. But since I brought up celebrity stuff a friend of mine, we were talking yesterday about people who go out, we're out of time.
Speaker 1: Damn, it ran out of time before I got to the punchline. That's painful.
Speaker 3: We were talking yesterday about people who refer to the news and it's like TMZ more entertainment Tonight or whatever like that. That's what they call the news. I'll get to that a little bit later. Jack wants to talk about Harry Styles. I want to talk about assisted suicide in Canada.
Speaker 4: Something for everyone coming up. Oh I can stay too that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you've missed this, likeing, we get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 7: We have a Fox News poll and it reveals a record thirty eight percent of voters think the US shifting toward socialism would be a good thing. It comes as voters are split on whether capitalism is working amid the affordability crisis.
Speaker 1: That's nice, and here they break it down a little bit.
Speaker 7: Says the ones that are backing socialism moving more towards socialism the very liberal voters at sixty six percent, Democrats under the age of forty five sixty six percent, and voters under the age of thirty fifty three percent. The biggest supporter graph of capitalism Republican men eighty seven percent.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and if you go deep, we're into it. The number of men over forty five seventy five percent say socialism is a bad thing. So middle aged men in America are going to save the country.
Speaker 1: You're welcome for that.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Worth noting that.
Speaker 3: And it's not that I'm not worried that way too many people favor socialism two thirds of Democrats under forty five for first.
Speaker 1: Socialism or leaning socialism.
Speaker 3: But it is true that so many people now call themselves independent that if you use the number for Republicans or Democrats, both sides can use it to paint the other side is extreme because all the a lot of the normal people in both parties have now called themselves independents, because hardly anybody wants to be attached to either party at this point. So you can use a poll about Republicans or Democrats and say, look it out crazy there, But you're really only talking about a small a lot of the Republicans don't all themselves Republicans anymore.
Speaker 1: Same with Democrats. Interesting, I'm not sure this is a great example of that on the Republican side, just because to me, anybody who's against free markets is a lunatic.
Speaker 4: But I see your point. It's worth keeping in mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't doubt that two thirds of Democrats under forty five favorite socialism. I just think there's an awful lot of democrats under forty five, they don't call themselves democrats anymore. Right, probably vote Democrat a lot, but they don't call themselves democrats because they don't want to be attached to all the trans lunacy or Kamala Harris or a whole bunch of other stuff or the racism.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, do you have you seen the rough numbers lately? Who identifies as Republican independent Democrat? Uh? Well, it's a Remember we had the number one and long ago.
Speaker 3: The smallest number of people call themselves democrats ever was on that. Yeah, so it's it's like a third of the whole countries, it's and most people aren't. You're either a Republican Democrat, you just don't want to be attached to that party. Right, Definitely one direction or the other in the way you vote.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The enduring con job that is pushing socialism. The fact that that can't be killed it says, it's like a cockroach, is amazing to me. That is the most successful scam ever designed.
Speaker 3: Well, it doesn't take much explanation to educate somebody to why it doesn't work. But they ain't doing that in school. They're doing it my son's private school. But they aren't doing it in regular school. Nobody's taking the time to say, here's why socialism has failed everywhere it's ever worked. Do the whole grade thing that would be popular in class. How about if I did this? How about if I took all the a's and spread them out and we all got B minuses. Those of you who get a's you be happy with that. The people who get great grades would stop working hard. The people who get poor grades would definitely never work hard. Right, what does that do to the economy of grades?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, isn't it. I'm done conversion completely right. It would take you roughly ten minutes if that long.
Speaker 3: That's a that's with a break for going to get a drink or peeing in your Folger's coffee can or whatever it is you do. If you don't know that story, oh boy, you should google it. It's troubling.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, I'm really not in the mood on a Friday to talk about the assisted suicide in Canada. I will tell you though, it reminds me at least somewhat of the socialism argument, in that the unintended consequences of what sounds like a reasonable idea just they cascade and they grow and the Hugh. It sounds great in theory, but if you know anything about how rotten human beings can be, it just quickly becomes far far uglier than you thought it could.
Speaker 4: And again, the fact that you have.
Speaker 1: To re argue that in terms of socialism is probably just because it's being taught as a wonderful thing in our schools by a bunch of neo Marxist teachers and teachers' unions, and I despise them to my bones.
Speaker 3: So it did come up a couple times this week, people who call Entertainment Tonight the news right or TMZ the news, which I think fits in a little with the Iran War in that most people as a listener to podcasts the other day, and a whole bunch of pundits are on there and they're saying the number one question they got from people about the Iran War was why did this happen? Because nobody was paying any attention to the fact that we were building up all this military might and warning them about the nuclear stuffing.
Speaker 1: Nobody's paying attention to that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they're watching entertainment news or sports or whatever, but very few people were paying attention, and the President certainly did not go out of his way to alert us AnyWho got this text from a friend of mine, Joe was telling a story about his some of you cut your hair that referred to. All she talked about was celebrities stories. Oh, she's a physical therapist. Physical therapist, that's what it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was her only passion, and she had a really good bud. She she was a very fit young woman, yes, Michael, but her passion was celebrity notes yes, which I started watching Don't Look Up with my fourteen year old the movie, and one of the features of that is.
Speaker 3: The character played by Leonardo DiCaprio. He's a scientist who just discovered a comment is going to hit Earth and destroy all life, and he can't get anybody care pay attention to the modern world, and he's getting ready to go on like the Today Show, and they end up interviewing a young pop star played by Ariana Grande, which made it kind of funny. Who all they want to talk about is her celebrity breakup. We saw on Twitter that you and a different pop star broke up, and the crowd and then talk about the breakup of the celebrities, and he's like, why is nobody interested that the comedy.
Speaker 1: Is going to destroy her? Right?
Speaker 3: But that's pretty accurate, is to where we are? And we got this text. U Joe's story made me laugh. I worked with a nurse who was gorgeous, and she would routinely come in and say the craziest stuff. Did you watch the news last night? Always referring to entertainment tonight. She always complained that buying groceries for her kids was such a waste. They just ate it and it was gone. But if she bought designer jeans or the latest makeup, it really lasted.
Speaker 1: Does it give you an idea of.
Speaker 3: The intelligence of the sort of person that follows celebrity news versus real news? Wow, that's a good one. Buying food for the kids and such a waste. They just eat it and it's gone. But if I buy these jeans, I have them for a long time.
Speaker 4: It's a good point.
Speaker 1: She and her husband picked all their kids' names from soap operas. Wow. Wow, oh my god, I feel like I'm at the human Zoo watching a display on the right.
Speaker 4: Look how they live, honey.
Speaker 1: So that's a poll.
Speaker 3: I would like to know what percentage of people the news is Britney spears DUI as opposed to we've sent another aircraft carrier to the Middle East, so you couldn't, you know, force this by laws the first Amendment. But I wish the polling organizations would somehow like grade everybody on level of awareness, and there's no need to be demeaning, you know what, morons?
Speaker 1: All right, let's call the bottom group morons. I was that was that was an easy sell, and then the dimly aware, the paying attention, the acutely aware, and then maybe the expert class. And you'd eliminate the expert class probably and the morons from your polling or I don't know, but the idea of pulling a bunch of people who say, why are we attacking her? On about attacking Iran is the definition of uselessness, except I guess in terms of retail politics, because ignoramuses can vote to a practice I will stamp out when I am emperor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard this number the other day, and I'd never heard of it before. I've been meaning to verify it. It came from a very credible source that only twenty nine percent of people follow politics real news, and only fourteen percent so roughly half of them.
Speaker 1: Follow it closely.
Speaker 3: So following closely enough to really understand what's going on is fourteen percent.
Speaker 1: That sounds about right to me.
Speaker 3: I mean, since in most elections prior to Trump, only about a half of people voted.
Speaker 1: Even in a presidential election. That other half is just man.
Speaker 8: I have.
Speaker 3: In recent months met more people that have decided that either maybe they've always been checked out or said, yeah, I just gave up, I checked out.
Speaker 1: I just I don't even pay attention anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Part of it is, as our old producer Sean used to say, every story comes as a homework assignment. Everything you hear, you have to Okay, I guess I better try to figure out if this is completely true, completely false, or you know some portion of that. Right, Everything you hear, and it's tiring, it's exhausting. At some point, I could see how you decide that I just.
Speaker 1: Won't pay attention. Plus the fever pitch, plus the incredible size and complexity of the government, at this point, it's it's too much to ask, and that we need, we need an informed citizenry that would take four lifetimes I've heard different versions of this too.
Speaker 3: One person that recently decided a couple of different business things, divorced things, whatever had happened, and they just thought the injustice of the way it turned out was so awful that there's no consequences for anything. So I'm just not paying attention anymore. Nobody gets any consequences. You can rob people blind, you can commit crimes and get out over and over again.
Speaker 1: I just give up.
Speaker 3: So there's that crowd, right. And then I know a guy many many years ago. He was a little older, but he had been in Vietnam and he felt he had been so lied to by his government that he just completely checked out for the rest of his life on all politics. Seemed pretty happy. I can't fault him for that. He seemed pretty damned happy with that decision. Now, obviously, you can't run a democracy with people with everybody doing that.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's a problem. It's a serious problem. I'm somewhat reminded of some Van Jones clips we have talking about the Iran conflict and the way people are behaving politically, and he looks at both sides.
Speaker 4: It's pretty compelling. We'll squeeze that in if we can.
Speaker 3: Oh, quick question, because I just looked up the TV and saw the Paralympics are underway. The Paralympics that people who are handy capable. It's also in Italy though the Winter Paralympics. China is dominating the Winter Paralympics. Do you have any idea why that would be a guess, I don't.
Speaker 1: The cold warrior and me wants to take a shot at China, but just to sheer population, I'm guessing just plaining more people. But they have more people for the regular Olympics too, and they didn't dominate, maybe because they've crippled so many dissidents by beating them and torturing them.
Speaker 4: And they put them on skis. Out of there.
Speaker 1: I couldn't help myself, they could not. Then they put them on skis, is what he said. Okay, more on the waist they here. My oldest son turned sixteen tomorrow, and it is more shocking to me than I can possibly tell you. M Yeah, I know what you mean. Why does that happen? Just happens? I guess times just a concept man, accept it not? It keeps moving. So have you heard about these these prediction markets? You're like your polymarket and your Calshi.
Speaker 4: Isn't that a cereal? Is that cashy?
Speaker 1: I don't know what's a it's a betting site, what's a cereal? And what's a tea drink? For hipstercy I put a thousand dollars bet on Macha the other day saying that the US would end It's about Me campaign anyway, a bunch of headlines about those prediction markets. We mentioned very very briefly the other day that somebody had made a bet related to the death of the Ayatola, and Calshi is refusing to pay out winnings on a fifty four million dollar trade. Many betters have assumed they won big wagers that he would be out as Supreme Leader by Saturday. But Calcian American prediction market that allows users to bet on politics, sports, foreign affairs, and pop culture and all sorts of stuff, announced it would not be paying out any winnings on those wagers since its guidelines prohibit markets quote directly tied to death.
Speaker 4: Their users are outraged by this.
Speaker 1: You know, I got to get into this, but I haven't because I mean, I obviously followed the news like a maniac, and that puts you at a real advantage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as at first against the idea of you can't bet on anything, we're death's involved. But I can see you don't want I mean, if you got pictures out there throwing the pitch straight into the ground to make sure they win a bet, you don't want anybody amp and up death to win a Sure.
Speaker 1: Is there somebody who would murder somebody else for a million dollars?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah, it's the probably two people out of every ten.
Speaker 1: You have a dark if. Oh, don't get me started. So, but I really ought to get into it. It's probably laziness. Well, I'm busy, this job is time consuming, and uh maybe I just I'm not desperate for money. I don't know, but it's clearly something I ought to be doing. I spend an hour a week on it.
Speaker 3: Right, I know we're about this then you know who's going to win a football game? I'm sure handicapping candidates and issues and bills and whatever. Anyway, moving along, there's a big.
Speaker 1: Article in the Wall Street Journal today about the these markets and it's let's see what does this start with?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: The mentions market tries to predict the unpredictable Trump's next words, so you can even predict whether Trump will use the word for instance, for instance, hottest in his address to the nation. Hunkered down in the dark room, Max Carroza watch riveted as President Trump gave a speech on the US economy. Hottest, Hottest, Come on, he pleaded to his screen. Then it came we have the hottest country in the world. The President declared, Yes, let's go. Corrosso whooped, pumping his fist. The twenty year old big box store manager in Westchester, Pennsylvania had just made sixty four dollars by correctly betting that Trump would say hottest. I think I would have made that bet.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's how mundane it can be.
Speaker 3: That's practically like you know, how long the national anthem is for the Super Bowl in terms of.
Speaker 1: Mundane. Right. But here's another interesting angle to it, and this especially applies to government officials. There are various people who made a crapload of money on when the US bombing campaign would start, even though it was secret.
Speaker 4: I would have been wrong in that one.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but quite a few people were very, very right, to the point that it's like, uh, you're familiar.
Speaker 3: With Pentagon planning. You're close to the president. Well, it's the same way they caught these sports stars. You see a whole bunch of You see that they placed bets or had a bunch of activity betting various sites at the same time that they all of a sudden pulled up lame in the second quarter.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So this other article in the journal from Like Today, I think is about a couple of things, including the fact that these markets are marketing themselves like crazy on college campuses. They are spending zillions of dollars to market themselves to college kids who think they're smart and have a little disposable income at all. And they mentioned that this fraternity at the University of Miami that attracts the children of the very wealthy, including the step son of Jeff Bezos.
Speaker 4: They were making.
Speaker 1: Predictions as to what celebrities would show up at the Super Bowl, and the odds of Bezos attending were high, a potential jackpot for anyone who actually knew his weekend plans which did not involve a trip to Levi's stadium, and some fraternity brothers began placing bets that Bezos would not attend. Two people who bet said the original source of the information was the steps on himself, although neither heard it directly. Blah blah blah. So it's about a these these companies are.
Speaker 4: Like paying.
Speaker 1: Enormous amounts of money for a fraternity to have a giant blowout party in return for if you sign up fifty of your members as new Calshi or polymarket members. But then they go into the suspected insiders who made one point two million dollars wagering that the US would strike Iran last month. So this whole deal is getting murky and mobbed up. And man, I got to jump on these sites and see if there's any categories that I feel like I'm particularly knowledgeable about. Well, it's it'll lasts. I mean I should have like sold a haven new some short a couple of weeks ago before his embarrassing book tour.
Speaker 4: Well you knew it was coming.
Speaker 3: You were big on Joe Biden would not be the nominee for a very long time.
Speaker 4: Oh I could have made a mint. Yeah, just not greedy enough. That's one of my faults. I'll try to get greedy.
Speaker 1: One of your faults is you're not greedy enough. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a weakness, it's an interesting fault.
Speaker 4: So we either read a book.
Speaker 3: We do twenty hours of this every week. If you ever miss an hour or a segment of the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand, we got another hour to go Armstrong and Getty