Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. Welcome into the audio Dojo, a another spin around the audio world. As it is The Fifth Hour with Ben Mahler and Danny g On this the thirtieth day of December. Happy Saturday, Happy Saturday, a long holiday weekend for most. As we are here hanging out with you every single day of the week, fresh audio content just ready to be delivered, hyping hot right into your ear drums. On this holiday weekend and on this edition of the Fifth Hour, we've got Benny Brittle. Nerds are real, the firm of the week, the term of the week, and you never know what else is going to pop up. So that's at least the base, that's how we're going to start. And then things happen. Things happen so I wanted to start with this. Now. We had the Malor Holiday party last weekend on Christmas Eve. Now Hetbridge Farm remembers the mal Holiday Party, which is not to be confused. A lot of people confuse this with the Ugly Sweater party, and it's often mixed up. And I just want you to know and not to be corny or you know, it's a heartwarming event holiday party, nothing like the ugly sweater part. It's almost all family. There's a few friends, but it's almost all family at the tabernacle, and it's just endless amounts of food and all that. This is a separate deal, separate deal. And here's the same thing that happens every year before every one of these parties, Danny g. Every year it is a mad dash. My wife runs around like the tornado, the Tasmanian devil, trying to make everything perfect right. Everything has to be just wonderful, beautiful, like it's back in colonial times. Everything's perfect right, Everything's just wonderful and all that stuff. And so there's like three or four days of preparation, buying crap, figuring out the menu of these parties, cleaning up everything, like the whole deal it's a big.
Speaker 3: You ever get tired of hosting all these parties?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because my wife freaks out Danny. She's like, oh my, if things are not perfect, it's very dramatic, and I don't need the drama, right, I'm good with the drama not being where it is now. The odd thing is like before the party, it reminds me of like a dramatic Shakespearean type play because it's so dramatic. But then afterwards it's Oh, I can't wait to host another one, and I'm like, wait a minute. You know, it's like we're running around, everyone's in a tizzy, and I was like, will we get this thing done or not? And it's like, oh, it's just But anyway, so we had we had the holiday party, and as you know, being the king of introverts, Danny not a big party not a big party guy. But put on a happy face. Put on a happy face, and yet again morphed into Benny the Baker and over baked, made double the chocolate chip cookies, made some sugar cookies. Half of them were given green frosting, half of them are red. The Yin and the Yang, but the star of the show a debut item. You can call me now Benny Brittle. And not because I have Britle bones and I can't even get off a fire truck without my back hurting for a week. Not because of that. No, it's the delicious new treat that I and the confectionery have. I don't know that I've mastered it, but it's pretty good. It's pretty good. And that is the delicious new treat, the peanut brittle, homemade peanut brittle, which I have always loved peanut brittle. It is terrible for you, it's bad for your teeth, and you shouldn't eat it and all this stuff. It's got a lot of sugar, and I get all that, but it's so freaking good. It is so so freaking good.
Speaker 3: This y that's in my top five.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I remember when I was a kid, and one of my fing favorite memories we went on a family vacation to Hawaii and it was a big deal, right for my mom and stuff, and you know, anyway you're Hawaii, it's a long trip. I've ended up lucky enough. I've been there many times over the years. But as a kid, I didn't really know what I was getting into. I didn't really appreciate it. The thing that I loved as a fat kid in Hawaii was mac Damien nut brittle. My mom got me a lot of that. I was like, oh man, this is like the greatest stuff I've ever had.
Speaker 3: Well, there's something about that and toffee both underrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I was able to make peanut brittle and it I think it's I'll have to I'll get you some, Dannie, I'll have to get you some. I know you're not eating sugar, so maybe I shouldn't get you some. But it's really easy to make. The only thing I had to get was they call it a candy thermometer, because the key to this is a science to it, and you've got to have the obviously the ingredients of the most important things corn syrup, sugar, salt, baking soda, and obviously a mother load of peanuts. But the science to it is you have to do it all to the right temperature and there's this sweet spot the goldilockswon for peanut brittle. And so you mix all these ingredients and you turn up the heat. You turn up the heat, and then it's the magic hour, the golden hour, as they say in photography right right before sunset, the golden hour, when the lights, you know, God's light is just there. It's perfect. The photos are amazing. You don't need to filter anything. So when the sticky goo gets to the perfect temperature, which is usually three hundred degrees to three hundred and ten degrees, you then while you are stirring it at that magical moment, you then quickly have to turn the stove off. You have to grab the giant bowl of sloppy, sugary peanutty syrup all too good to be true, and you then have to pour it in to a tray with parchment paper, and then you have to let it sit for like thirty forty minutes and that's all. So it's it's a lot of moving parts, but you can make it really great. And the thing that they got I've always loved is we talked about Danny. But I went to the store because I was like, you know, I haven't had it in a while. And I made it and and so I was like, Okay. I went to a store the other night this week and they were selling peanut brittle, like a small box of peanut brittle. Nine for a small box of peanut. What are they doing?
Speaker 4: It's crazy from your old producer, wrong button Bob. His daughter was doing a fundraiser for her preschool. Yeah, it was twenty two dollars for a box of peanut brittle.
Speaker 1: God, anytime you need peanut britle, I'll do it for it. I'm even think I might go next level and make macadamia nut brittle. How about that? I might go next level Macadamian nut brill.
Speaker 3: Last, ye crazy, You're going crazy?
Speaker 1: Now I'm going wild man. But you know who would buy that? The nerds? Because nerds are real Danny, and they would buy that. That Macadamian nut brill is what they would do.
Speaker 4: You know what nerds buy two hundred dollars musta made lightsabers. So we had this topic on Covino and Rich filling in for the Dan Patrick Show this past Thursday morning. What's worse a sports nerd or a regular nerd?
Speaker 1: Now you mean regular or do you mean a Disney nerd? Because I think regular nerd, Disney nerds, sports nerd are all different types of nerd. There's different qualities to each.
Speaker 4: That's a good point. But I guess the nerd would fall into the category of a regular nerd.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily, because there are Disney nerds that are really stupid, but they're they love their Disney, right, and they're like, there's the Poindexter nerd that isn't into Disney and really isn't into sports, but it's like into like like there's I guess, I guess you'd call them like a sci fi nerd, Right, there's the sci Fi nerd, there's the Star Trek nerd, the Star Wars nerd, there's that nerd.
Speaker 3: Or do you think the sports nerd ranks in there?
Speaker 1: Well, this is very sensitive. It's a very delicate topic, as you know, Danny, because we are dependent on the sports nerd, and we My belief is we got into this at one point because we were sports nerds. So as I cycle analyze the sports nerd, I would have them actually lower on the list. Like I think that to me, And I'm not a big I don't hate Disneyland, but I'm old enough to remember when I could go for twenty dollars to get to Disneyland. They remember they had that SoCal race.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And see I agree with you because Rich pointed out that a football or a sports nerd will spend two hundred dollars on a jersey, and I say, yeah, but I don't think I'm in the game. This Star Wars nerd who's spending two hundred dollars on a lightsaber really thinks that he's in a Star Wars movie. Now, to back up my point, we're there at Star Wars Land and the big ride is Rise of the Resistance.
Speaker 3: Amazing ride.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like Star Wars, but I'm not a Star Wars nerd by any means. Then now you get the fast pass, you know, obviously you got to pay extra for that. The problem with that Rise of the Resistance ride is they have technical issues a lot. It's broke, it's broke, and you scan your phone for the lightning lane. But what happens is you get an alert saying that the ride is not functioning, so you got to come back later. Once the ride reopens, it sends an alert you to the app to your phone. So all these Star Wars nerds come running like bats out of hell and pushing and shoving, and my wife turned wife.
Speaker 3: He turned and.
Speaker 4: Looked at me and said, what a bunch of Star Wars nerds. And I say you're not kidding. So we get inside the ride and at the beginning there's like a like a fake general from the Dark Side who's gonna get the info out of us. We all know where the base for the Good Guys is, and they tell you at the beginning of the ride. No matter what, do not give the Dark Side the information about where the base is for the Resistance. And this guy in front of us, wearing a star accustomed Star Wars jacket, turns to his buddy and says, if this was real life, I wouldn't tell them even if they tortured me.
Speaker 1: And how old was this person?
Speaker 4: This guy was in his thirties for sure, and he wasn't kidding. He was dead serious. We get out of the ride and you know, the family to use the restroom. So my wife he walks up to somebody dressed up as you know, they have Star Wars characters walking around who work for the park, And I mean, that's kind of got to be a cool job, right if you want to be a stormtrooper yeah or yeah, or you know, you know, one of the one of the bad guys.
Speaker 3: And there's a couple of good guys walking So.
Speaker 1: That's what you want to. That's what you should do. If you're a Star Wars nerd, you should work at Disneyland. You can get paid to dress up, as you said, a stormtrooper and walk around exactly.
Speaker 3: We even met the Mandalorian.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: So my wife walks up to one of these characters and she says, which way is the restroom. He's got like this fancy lightsaber and he's decked out, and I was like, man, this is one of the better characters we've seen in here. He looks at my wife, he would wide open eyes and he's like, I don't work here.
Speaker 1: Now. The one advantage Danny, that the Star war that that guy that Star Wars nerd has as opposed to the sports nerd that goes to a game, is the sports nerd ends up occasionally having to walk out of the stand. It's like they're all dressed up and their team loses, right, And it's like if you were a Charger fan and you went to that Charger Raider game a few weeks ago, and you were all dauled up and you had your gar on, and then you had to do the walk of shame out of the state. Like if you're a Star wars nerd. You never have to walk out at Disneyland like, oh man, we just lost. You know, it is embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Somebody says sports nerd, I picture a geek crunching numbers and having multiple fantasy teams, not necessarily somebody that goes to the stadium, but more like a nerd at his home office crunching numbers and stats.
Speaker 1: So you don't think the guy that wears the full uniform to go to a game qualifies as a sports nerd. I'm going to disagree.
Speaker 3: I'm you on that.
Speaker 1: It's a different kind of nerds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a different kind I'll give you that. It's a different kind of nerds.
Speaker 1: We're talking shoulder pads, I'm talking to pants like I'm going all in, right, there are people that go all in on that.
Speaker 4: Well, there's that confusing TV commercial right now where the kid transfers to a different school and he's wearing a forty nine Ers shirt and the kids in the class are talking shit to him, and then Christian McCaffrey is there like his angel, his guardian, and he's like, oh, you're gonna have to up your game. And so the second day of school for the kid he goes in with even more forty nine ers gear on, and the kids are still talking crap to him. So then McCaffrey's like man, bunch of haters, So then he has to up his game even more. And the kid has shoulder pads on the uniform, pants, the cleats. Like this kid walks into class looking like a real forty nine er player.
Speaker 3: How is that not gonna get him picked on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, no, no. What was the commercial for? I don't even remember.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: It's a very effective commercial.
Speaker 3: We liked what they were saying, great marketing.
Speaker 1: No idea what the product was. But the commercial is very.
Speaker 3: Good, very memorable, but for the wrong reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is the most memorable commercials in my life. I'm pretty sure I could remember what the product is. When I was a kid, there was a Wendy's commercial with this old lady saying where's the beef? But I remember it was Wendy's like their whole market, like where's the beef?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: That was their whole thing? Remember the gate? There was another when I was a kid, Gatorade commercial. Remember that want to be like Mike's song?
Speaker 3: Oh of course I was going to mention that right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was that was a big deal because kids would like walk around singing that song out loud.
Speaker 1: Oh it was a great tune, especially if your name was Mike. You know, it's wonderful.
Speaker 3: And you got the Mars Black.
Speaker 4: Then commercials for Air Jordan, Oh yeah, yes, those were great. Bow Noose the Bownose campaign.
Speaker 1: Have a solid bo Jackson nightmare. Yeah, yeah, that was good. There were some classics. But we usually know what the product is. Usually, you know, we don't know what the product is that you're not necessarily the marketing arm is not doing something right? What do I know? Moving on, we have the term of the week, not the words of the week or the word of the week. The term of the week.
Speaker 3: Are you ready of the week?
Speaker 1: This is an exclusive to the Fifth Hour podcast. If you would like to recommend a term of the week to a future episode of the podcast, please send that in. The term of the week is rain check rain check. Now today is Saturday, Danny, And if you look at your weather apps, supposed to be raining today. And where we do the show from in La But you know, winter for most people, snows lead all that stuff. But here in California's just rained. You need tires, by the way, No, I feel like I'm doing a tire rack commercial. So it's gonna's supposed to rain to it. But the term raincheck, I think we know what that means, right, So it's a promisory note. It was originally written as a form of like a written ticket. Well here's a great story. I just kind of fell into this. And I don't know how I stumbled upon this because I'm I guess I'm a nerd. I'm a word nerd. I admit it. I'm okay with that. I'm, you know, nerd Poindexter guy. But didn't you know the first rain checks were issued? Where do you think they were issued?
Speaker 3: What do you think, man, I don't know.
Speaker 1: At a baseball game? And it started in okay, all right, it started in baseball. Uh And and this is this is wild to me. So the first recorded rain check was issued on the twenty first day of June eighteen eighty three by the Saint Louis Brown Stockings. Now they are the forerunner to what eventually became the Saint Louis Cardinals, and they made a policy in Saint Louis to issue rainchecks to fans who paid for a game that was rained out. The reason that was rather important is because I believe it was the association, which was not the major leagues. This was something other than the Major League. I think it was the Federal League. I'm not sure exactly the name of the league, so you know, don't hold me to that. But the Saint Louis Brown Stockings, according to that Post Dispatch story, they decided they will not make in eighteen eighty three. They said, we will no longer make patrons pay, not fans. Patrons pay for what they don't see, as was the case. That was standard operating procedure with all the other teams in that association, and everyone buying a ticket to a game in Saint Louis on days where rain is apprehend you know, stopping the game, they said, apprehended, they will be given a raincheck which will allow them to come to a game the following day where the weather's good and all that. And that was the beginning of rainchecks. It started in baseball in eighteen eighty three and is still used today, which is why.
Speaker 4: So it was a literal thing, because then it also just became a part of our speech where you'd say to a girl, can we have sex tonight and she'd say raincheck.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, that is you could definitely add that to the mix. But I the thing about this that is wild to me is that at that time they just had a policy where they wouldn't give you an opportunity to go to another game. But now the problem we have now we don't really deal with this where we lived any but I know from friends that live in Boston and other places, like, you'll go to a Red Sox game and if it's kind of a rainy night, they'll sit around for three or four hours through rain delays off and on to make sure they get the game in so they don't have to issue rain checks to people.
Speaker 3: Gay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they hate it. They can't stand I bet you the people in sports, if you behind the scenes you asked them, they'd be like, Oh, this is terrible. How dare that team in Saint Louis? What's wrong with them? Why do they have to do this? It's a bad job by them, And they go on and on and on and all about it, you know, because you know how cheap it is. As far as I want to go back to the nerd thing though, because the Disney nerd and the sports nerd are experiencing the same, the same thing. Where Disney used to be affordable, affordable family fund, sporting events, affordable family fund. Right, you could even get merch. You could get merch for a reasonable price.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you just made me think about something.
Speaker 4: That sports nerd at the Chicago Cubs game that got in the way of the ball.
Speaker 1: Oh Bartman, Steve Bartman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now that's a sports nerd.
Speaker 1: Yep, that is a sports nerd.
Speaker 3: He is a walkman on.
Speaker 1: And amazingly, all these years later, twenty years later, he is still knocked done an on camera interview. He has completely stayed hidden, which tells you two things. He is an introvert and he must be loaded because he could have made a fair amount of money. They would have paid to have Steve Bartman on TV time, and he turned down that money.
Speaker 4: They even wanted him to be a part of their championship parade, remember, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he didn't. He didn't want any part of it.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's crazy. He could have got a ring and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah crazy, Yeah, Yeah, you wonder if he's been back.
Speaker 3: To like in a disguise well, he probably.
Speaker 1: Looks a lot different he was he what was his mid twenties, It looked like around that time, so he's probably his mid forties now.
Speaker 3: Probably still looks like a sports nerd though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were people dressing up for Halloween as Steve Bartman. You remember that. Yeah, it was Nuhing. I was on the air that night at Fox Sports Radio and we were counting down. It was a huge deal, Cubs and Marlins. Cubs are nine outs away from going to the World Series.
Speaker 3: You know, it was like the.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it a Dusty Baker. I was gonna be It's gonna be it was. I think it wasn't Dusty Baker as the manager. I think he was managing. Where was it, Uh who was managing the Cubs? I think it was Dusty. But I just that night, the excitement and then watching it all implode and that didn't end the series, like may any of the greatest moments in baseball. That was not the That was the turning point. Yeah, there was another game after that. It's like the the Buckner play in the world. The Kirk Gibson home run was in Game one.
Speaker 3: It's just the way everybody remembers it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that. Remember the Rangers Cardinals when Nelson Cruz misplayed the ball in the outfield. That was also Game six, I think, I don't think it was Game seven where the Rangers blew it and the Cardinals ended up coming back and winning.
Speaker 3: How about the Angels pitcher who killed himself.
Speaker 1: I hate to say which one, but.
Speaker 3: Donnie Moore, Yeah, Donnie Moore? Was that was that a no?
Speaker 1: That was That's a good call. That was in Anaheim and they had to go back to Boston, if I remember, to play at Finway. And they showed up and they wasted a lot of fossil fuels, the Angels, and they got into the field position and started sucking their thumb and and that was it. They had Gene Autry, the Singing Cowboy. That was his shot right there to win the World Series, and it all went to hell. It all went to which is different than basketball, Like a lot of the basketball plays were in the final game, but in baseball not quite the same thing as an odd.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, Like think about the New York Knicks starts missing all those shots.
Speaker 3: In Game seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, actually a Game seven, the Willis Reid game, even though he didn't really play that well. But that was a game seven against the Lakers, Knicks and Lakers, and that was actually the Walt Clyde Fraser game. But he doesn't get credit for it because they able to said, well, that's the Willis Reid give legend became the fact he go with the legends of the Willis Reid game.
Speaker 3: He played.
Speaker 1: He played. I think he scored like one basket or two baskets. That's it, played the first quarter of the game. But they're like the New York writers had a field day with how.
Speaker 4: He was basically just their rally banana.
Speaker 1: It was. It was. It was craziness. All right, we'll get out on that. Anything going on today, Danny, I was some college football, not great games and not there's an NFL game today. We got the Lions and the Cowboys, a standalone NFL game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Cowboys at home, which means they'll probably win because they win at home and they suck on the road.
Speaker 1: They're favored by six. Of course, I will shamelessly promote Benny Versus the Penny, which will be airing on regional cable television today, So check that out. It's not on the show because we try to avoid the Saturday show because the show runs through Sunday morning, so we generally avoid Thursday and Saturday games.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm gonna do today, I Am going to put some items up on offer up because after the Disneyland visit, we are dead broke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was it passed?
Speaker 3: Some valuables in the garage that need to move?
Speaker 1: Was it very like? What was How busy was it on Christmas?
Speaker 3: So we had two day passes.
Speaker 4: Christmas Eve was nice, especially Christmas Eve morning, not that many people there. We could walk around freely and it was a wonderful time. Now Christmas Day, Holy walk home.
Speaker 3: Holy.
Speaker 4: I won't probably do that again because just downtown Disney alone was packed to the you know, the back's capacity with people, so you can imagine what it was like inside both parks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was younger, because I grew up kind of your Disneyland, we would we would usually go on when I was a kid, a little kid, my parents always wanted to go Super Bowl weekend because there was no one there, and sometimes on Christmas because there was kind of kind empty. But most of the time we just eat Chinese food.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people now know I'm going to go there for Christmas, so yeah, the move in the future. If you want to go during the holidays, go on the eve, not the actual holiday. SMSs Eve is the big one. That's the big one, all right. Have a great rest your Saturday. We will have a male bag pods. We'll see how long we go on that, but that'll be on tomorrow's pot on Sunday. So I have a wonderful rest of your Saturday, and we thank you for following the podcast.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you tomorrow later.
Speaker 3: Skater by Folition