Speaker 1: My guest is an award winning actor, producer, director, best selling author, and the host and producer of the hit Fox game show The Floor.
Speaker 2: I'm pleased to welcome my buddy to one and only, Rob Low to the show. How are you, Rob? How's everything? Man?
Speaker 3: I'm very good.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's great to talk to you as always, you know, the week leading up to the super Bowl, there's nobody I'd rather talk to than you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Feelings mutual, my man. Before I get into your hit game show, though, I want to offer my condolences to your family before I do anything else. I understand your brother Chad lost his homes in the Palisades wildfire. How's everything going in that regard? Man?
Speaker 4: You just can't imagine it. I mean, it's it's unimaginable what he and all his neighbors, every single one of his friends.
Speaker 3: You know, he got out with.
Speaker 4: His his kids, his wife.
Speaker 3: They're goldfish, they're three cats. And that's it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So we've you know, given them lots of clothes, have been housing people looking for new housing for everybody.
Speaker 3: It's just a it's truly a.
Speaker 4: One day at a time for so many people and you just never can believe it's ever going to happen to you or your family until it does.
Speaker 2: I don't mind tackling the issue of politics or anything else, but I don't expect everybody to be like I am. So I'll ask this question in a general perspective and let you take it wherever you want to go, whether it's whether it's it's state politicians, whether it's bureaucracy that's existed for years, whatever the case may be, how do you believe a bunch of Los Angeleans and a bunch of Californians are feeling? Could you, you know, pretty much explain for us your mindset and your mentality and that of folks who live out there, how you're feeling right now in light of everything that's transpired, and most importantly, how it's been handled well one percent.
Speaker 4: And I come with a kind of unique perspective on this, Stephen. I've lived in southern California since nineteen seventy six. One of my first memories of moving to Malibu, which has burned many many times and burned in this fire, was looking up and seeing the gigantic fire roads that were cut.
Speaker 3: Into the mountains.
Speaker 4: They're gone, Wow, they haven't cut fire roads into the mountains, and you'd have to ask the policymakers, but they're not there anymore.
Speaker 3: And you know, I play a.
Speaker 4: First responder on nine to one one Loan Star, right so, and I've housed firemen on my property during the last big fire in Santa Barbara. So I know from top to bottom. You know, the culture of decision making around.
Speaker 3: Forestry.
Speaker 4: I don't know the technical querntry, but that's been.
Speaker 3: A real problem and they've screwed it up and and and.
Speaker 4: You can just look at it. Where are the fire roads. They're not there. They used to be there. We used to ride our bikes on them, BMX on them. They were great. So you know, the chickens have come home to roost on the other side of it. If a fire starts where it did during those winds, it's going to do whatever it wants to do, really and truly it is.
Speaker 3: I do know that there.
Speaker 4: Were reports of people lighting fireworks off day in and day out, not day in and day out. I don't want I don't want to over exaggerate this. I want to be really careful because what I'm about to.
Speaker 3: Say is true.
Speaker 4: There were people lighting fireworks four or five times a month. Right where that stopped. The Palisades community would report it. The Palisades have one policeman, one one and when they go one and when they go to whoever they would go to. I don't want to name names because I don't want to be wrong.
Speaker 3: City council.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's that, But whoever they would go to, they would say, well, you're not a high crime area and our resources are limited, so that one policeman doesn't really you know, what are they going to do? Go up there and scout out the fireworks.
Speaker 3: New Year's Eve there.
Speaker 4: Was the fireworks were set off again. It lit off a brush fire about an acre. They put it out, but the working theory I'm hearing is is that it wasn't fully put out, you know, because embers. You know, you've had a fireplace, you know, if your fire goes out and you come back and look at it the next day, they're still embers. That maybe those embers blew in the wind. But my point being Stephen, is at some point, when you cut and cut and cut, and you change policy and you don't listen to experts, the chickens are going to come home to roost and they have.
Speaker 2: My last question on this subject would be this, we all know the kind of politics the state of California has leaned towards for many, many years, and we see a new president in office and how he came to California and he went right at the mayor of Los Angeles and Karen Bass. He didn't pull any punches in terms of how he talks about the Governor, Gavin Newsom. And for the first time in many many years, if not my lifetime, I feel a shift taking place where you got Californians that they look like they're sick and tied. And this was like the last straw as far as I can say, as far as I could tell, and it looks like there's the possibility of change coming to the state in that regard. Am I off and saying that.
Speaker 3: No, you're not off.
Speaker 4: I watched the roundtable from start to finish, and you know, people were being told by the National Guard and FEMA and people like that that it would be eighteen months to rebuild. That's they were actually being told, and then the mayor would say something else. So you know, you saw firsthand the rigamarole and the mumbo jumbo that that's going on, and look at I get it. It's it's unfolding in real time and people are doing the best that they can. But I think, you know, people are are ready for some accountability and you know, they're ready to have water in the reservoirs.
Speaker 3: When they need it.
Speaker 2: Frankly, yeah, I got you. Let's move on to a more pleasant topic because you've got a hit show. It's The Floor, and I want you to talk about that a little bit. Tell us about it and for those who are not familiar with it, explain the premise of it all.
Speaker 4: So the Floor, you know, steven A We Fox gave us the most coveted other than the steven A. Smith Empire, most coveted, the most coveted thing in media is what is on after the super Bowl. They gave us that slot. So I show The Floor will be right after the super Bowl, you know. And it's because the gameplay of the Floor, the game itself, the Floor is so addicting that Fox has said we got to get more. You know, people gonna love it and just become insta fans. And it's really true. You'll go from watching you know, America's favorite game to playing the most addicting game that I've come across.
Speaker 3: I love it, and I love that. Whether you're ten.
Speaker 4: Years old, eighty years old, male, female, no matter what, everybody loves the floor. They love playing that damn game.
Speaker 2: At Home Hearts filmed in Ireland?
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 4: Talk about California ready for a change. I sit in the offices at Fox. We look out at all the sound stages. They're five feet away, and it's cheaper and more productive to take one hundred American contestants and fly to Ireland do it. That's something about I don't know much about business, but that can't be very right, Yes, for a business climate.
Speaker 2: That can't. So basically, it's an island because it's cheaper than it is to do it in California. Yeah, that is insane, exactly it. Wow, I don't even know what to say about that. How could you feel good if you're to stay to California Think it's cheaper to take an entire crew over one hundred people out of the country to another place that it is to do it right there in their own backyard.
Speaker 4: That, by the way, stephen A, That's the way it is with everything. I'm I'm looking at what my next show is going to be because Lone Star is finishing in every studio, every network is telling me they will not shoot in Los Angeles, will not Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, And how does that make you feel, considering that you've been living there since the seventies.
Speaker 3: It's outrageous.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is this is the one thing, not the one thing, but certainly it's probably America's single best export is entertainment.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: We do that better than anybody in the world.
Speaker 2: You do, still you do?
Speaker 3: And where do we do it? Hollywood? Not anymore.
Speaker 4: It's Vancouver, it's Budapest, it's Ireland, it's New Mexico, it's Toronto. But it is not Hollywood. And we have had and idiots in charge of this and letting that this has slipped away is criminal criminal.
Speaker 2: Wow. And let's not forget Atlanta. They in Atlanta too, films in Atlanta. Oh.
Speaker 4: Last time I was in Atlanta, Stephen, Eh, we couldn't get enough people to work on the crew because there were like I believe, sixty seven productions and not making that up in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Wow. Business is thriving in other places, but not Los Angeles, California or California period. Listen, let me tell let me put a smile on your face about something in California. The Lakers, they're kind of relevant right now. I mean they're top, the top five seed in the Western Conference right now, about six games above five. Ron'dred, I mean, you know, they're not looking so bad right now, Rob, how are you feeling about it?
Speaker 4: Listen, if we'd have had this conversation a few weeks ago, it wouldn't have been this conversation.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: They just they turned it on. And you know, they've got Superman. You know, they've got the Ageless Wonder. Uh, you know Lebron James, and you know A d is doing his thing. And you know I would say, is is ad goes?
Speaker 3: So go the Lakers?
Speaker 4: And and they got this the kid, the point guard.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's exciting exciting times to be a Laker fan.
Speaker 2: You know, I've said, I was on TV the other day and somebody said to me, what should the Lakers do? And I said, whatever Anthony Davis wants. If Anthony Davis says they need a five, go get him a five. Because the way he's balling right now, you know, they go where he'll take them, because even with Lebron still being great, you need a D to be a D at his best, and he's saying, I need a five so I can play my natural position. So now it's up to Rob A Linka. All right, your your doppel gang is, they say. And then now it's up to right now, it's up to Rob A Lincoln to go out and get a five for the Los Angeles Lakers so a D can be happy. Wouldn't you say that's a good strategy.
Speaker 3: It's a great strategy.
Speaker 4: They need to take a page from my Dodgers and go out and get the best in class.
Speaker 2: Yes. By the way, speaking of your Dodgers for a real quick second, you don't have any problem with them buying every damn thing. I mean, you know you got you got shoe O Tani deferring, you know most of his seven hundred million dollars. You got them having everything. I mean, they could buy everybody right now, and there's nothing you could do about it. You don't mind it at all.
Speaker 4: Uh, here's what I Here's no, they don't. And because I'm I'm a fan and I like to win. But you know, there's a lot of guys with a lot of money.
Speaker 3: The Bets could be doing it.
Speaker 4: I believe it's mister Ruben Steam and the Orioles could be doing it. They've got it, They've got every bit as much money. They're not doing it. Why are they not doing it? Yeah, So I'm where I do.
Speaker 3: Find it tough.
Speaker 4: Is you know my friends, the Attanasio's on the Brewers and they don't have that kind of money. The Castellini's on the Reds. You know, I know all these folk and the So that's where I feel like, you know, at some point, I actually hope I'm wrong, but I feel like we're working our way to a lockout or something, because at some point it will be untenable.
Speaker 3: But it's all within the rules.
Speaker 4: I think there's gonna have to be a change that the Players Association is not gonna want that. Obviously they would get the people to play paid. So I don't know where it all ends. But the Dodgers are just being smarter and more generous. But hey, man, Stevie Cohen.
Speaker 2: Open up the check book. He is he is. I don't think he's gonna hesitate too, But then again, he's fighting with Pete A. Lonzo I don't know how that's gonna work out. Believe that's unbelievable. Why is that right?
Speaker 3: I know, I love the polar Bear. I love watching him.
Speaker 4: There's nothing more exciting in baseball than a pop fly that you're not sure he's gonna catch. There's nothing, there's there's nothing that I love him.
Speaker 2: Listen. I like him a lot. I hope he resigns. But there was some slippage last year. I mean, they would have been they were a great, great story in the post. He's like the party had kids, the way they were so feisty or whatever. But there was some slippers for him. And I don't think that's about him. I think it's about Scott Boris getting in the way, and I think that's problematic. He's got to watch himself. Don't let your agent get in the way. At the bottom line, and when all is said and done, but before I let you go, let me transition to football because we had a Super Bowl coming up, and I can't let you go without getting your take on this. The Philadelphia Eagles ramrodded the Washington Commanders, and we saw Patrick Mahomes once again pulling out a victory against the Buffalo Bills. It's gonna be Kansas City Philadelphia rematch in the Super Bowl from a couple of years ago. What are your initial thoughts?
Speaker 3: I have so many thoughts.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can't argue with with greatness. You know, a lot of people want to hate on greatness. A lot of people get tired of greatness. You know, you know the refs are in the tank or whatever. The hecker I'm tired of Taylor Swift and whatever. They're great, dude, And you know what, I went to Arrowhead, I want to say last year, and when you watch these guys up close, it's a whole different thing. There's something about television that does not capture his ability to see with eyes behind his head and just move to the left and extend plays. He We should be thankful that we get to watch this kind of greatness.
Speaker 3: I was bummed for Josh Allen.
Speaker 2: But you know what, they're not ready.
Speaker 4: That team ain't ready.
Speaker 2: They're not ready. Sorry, yea k you gotta catch that pass. You gotta catch that pass, just like Mark Andrews against a foot Baltimore. You gotta catch that pass. You gotta catch that two point is what you do? You get paid to do this. You get you can't mess that up. Having said all of that, Philadelphia, Kansas City, you lean into it. So I saw.
Speaker 4: Saquan play against the Rams this year, Yes, I mean I saw game. I got to see La Damien during his gigantic season in San Diego back in the day, and that's what it reminds me. It's just like you just get that energy. You can see every time he touches the all you think, oh he's breaking it to the house. You just kind of know it's gonna happen. So I think this is gonna be a great, great gat super Bowl for sure.
Speaker 3: The best two teams are in it.
Speaker 2: I think. I think that's what it's gonna take for the Eagles to beat Kansas City. Saquon has to have a big game. Even though Jalen Hurts gott of play two, it can't be it's in Jalen hurts hands against Patrick Mahomes. That ain't gonna get it done. Saquon has to demoralize Kansas City as thieves Magnola's defense in order for the Eagles to win the Super Bowl Championship. What do you think about that prognostication?
Speaker 4: I agree and I think you go to that first. One of the things I didn't like about Buffalo. I didn't like Buffalo's play calling on first and second down at all. It's like when they finally got into like when they needed it, then they started calling the players. I thought they should have been playing all along. So let's not wait till the you know, the second half to go. Where's Saquon, Let's feed that man the ball from the jump.
Speaker 2: New season of the Floor premier's February ninth on Fox One and Only. Rob Lowe appreciate you, my man. Always good talking to you. Can't wait to see you. You take it easier.
Speaker 3: Right, Thank you. It's great to see you as always.
Speaker 2: All right, buddy, thank you,