Speaker 1: My guess has been instrumental in providing resources that help individuals make inform financial decisions, optimize their resources, and develop healthy financial habits. Under her leadership, Grow Give Prosper has partnered with initiatives like Grow with Google to offer certification scholarships aiming to enhance career opportunities for underserved communities. Please work with the Money Making Conversation Masterclass, Cassandra Lester.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Cassandra, I'm doing swell rashon. How are you pretty good?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Let's get this. Give us the name of your Is it a nonprofit?
Speaker 3: It is a nonprofit, Grow Gives.
Speaker 2: How did you come up with that name?
Speaker 3: You know what? Actually, because that's what I want to see my community do. I want us to grow together so that we can give to each other and then prosper as a collective. So that's how I came up with that name.
Speaker 2: How long you long have you had the foundation?
Speaker 3: I have been in the financial education since about twenty seventeen and I started the nonprofit in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool.
Speaker 1: So when you said financial education, can you give us a little of your background from a financial literacy standpoint before we get into the infield.
Speaker 3: Okay, sure. So it all started when I was a human resource an office manager at a very prominent medical facility here in the state of Georgia. And one thing I noticed, from the people who had the PhDs to the ones who had the GEDs, every time we sat down and do that tax paperwork, it leveled the playing field. So that's when I realized that financial education doesn't matter who you are, what you look like. It's a matter of accessibility.
Speaker 1: If you got halfway listening to the show, I want you to stop and focus on the show because this is the reason of one of the many reasons I brought her on the S Show for this interview her partnership with Grow with Google.
Speaker 2: That's the name of it. Grow with Google.
Speaker 1: Now, Google is what we're about to concentrate on and what they're doing with your foundation.
Speaker 2: Talk to us about what is Grow with Google.
Speaker 3: Grow with Google is a tremendous outreach initiative that Google has delivered to community partners like myself, where we are delivering career certifications, scholarships to any and everyone who wants it, specifically, justice impacted, specifically economically impacted communities that may not have access to that level of education due to financial restraints. So Google is now saying that, hey, we want to give you a chance to thrive to So we're going to give you a chance to get a career certification entry level into cybersecurity, data analytics, digital marketing, e commerce, IT support, project management, or UX design, which is user design, which is those apps and websites. So Google is now leveling the playing field. They're saying, you don't have to have an Ivy League education in order to make an earnable a livable.
Speaker 2: Wage, not just beyond livable wage. I'm just let everybody know that. Just go through, just go to the internet.
Speaker 1: Google indeed and Google salaries of all the job titles that she listed, you'll see that these are game changing opportunities that this foundation that Cassandra Lester created that is partnered with Google. And I want to hang on this for a minute because I don't want to blow past it, because I want people to be able to reach out to you.
Speaker 2: Do you have a website that they can visit?
Speaker 3: Certainly if they go to row with I'm sorry, grow gifprosper dot org and scroll to the bottom, you're gonna see the Google scholarship link, and the barrier to entry is very low. We don't want to make it difficult. If you have a commitment to yourself and if you want to increase your earning potential, all you have to do in the state of Georgia, no matter where you're located, is go to this website, grow give prosper dot org, scroll to the bottom Google Certifications, read the information. If it's what you want for yourself, then enroll and Coursera is going to send you the link and you can start learning today.
Speaker 1: Now, let's go over those job opportunities that are available on your website.
Speaker 3: Okay, so cybersecurity, data analytics, digital marketing, and e commerce and this. I kind of want to just really touch on them really quickly.
Speaker 1: Slow it down because I want people to understand that, you know, let me also say.
Speaker 2: This, you say the worst scholarship is their fee.
Speaker 3: No fee, There's no fee. The only fee is that you have to commit to doing it because we have to give data at the end of the program right, which, by the way, was scheduled to end in December twenty twenty five, and Google has extended it to December twenty twenty six. So since These courses take three to six months to complete. You have a chance to go in and roll and get several certifications between now and December twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: This level is the plan field for anybody that these scholarships that's being offered through your foundation through Google. You know, I'm sure I have a college degree on my wall, a math degree, and I always tell people you can't repoll that degree, which means you can't take that. But once it's on that wall, you can't take it back. And it's not like a car, it's like a house. Once you've been certified or degree, that's yours for life. And it also gives you a sense of empowerment that you can change your life and the surroundings around you. So you're going to give us more detail on each one of these job titles that we're doing with I'm talking with Cassandra Lester. Give us your foundation one more time and your website.
Speaker 3: Okay, grow gift Prosper and the website is grow gifprosper dot org. And I'm going to dive into what Google certifications are currently available. We have cybersecurity. You know, if you're the kind of person who wants to be the savior. You want to be able to come in and you know, throw it all of these I think we just heard a couple of days ago about a cyber attack that happened, you know. I think it was in the city of Atlanta. So if you want to be the kind of person who can recognize these attacks before they happen, cybersecurity is a great feel for you to get into data analytics. If you want to tell businesses what's trending, where they can find the money. Data analytics is for you. Digital marketing and e commerce. We're all over the website. We're all out here shopping online. Digital marketing and e commerce. That's going to tell you, you know previously where I said, you're going to show the businesses where the money where you are the one that's making the money. You are putting your product or products for other people online and making it avail and making it available for them to purchase it. Support so you can stack it support with cybersecurity. You are providing daily maintenance to laptops, phones, computers. It support project management. Now, when I mentioned that you can get several certifications, these are certifications that you can stack. So can you imagine stacking project management with a data analytics certification, and then finally UX design. So when I say that, it may sound Greek to a lot of people, but think about it. These apps, Instagram, all the websites that you go to. UX design means user experience design. You're designing the experience that the person who's on that app is using. So I remember one time with my banking app, I had an issue with getting my password. Every time I would log out to get the password and come back here and the app would close. Somebody saw that and they fixed it. So that's what that user experience design. Along that line, that's what you would be learning.
Speaker 1: You don't want to miss an episode of Money Making Conversations Masterclass, So right now, follow a subscribe to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's free and you can find.
Speaker 1: It on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money.
Speaker 1: Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to Money Making Conversations master Class with me Forshawn McDonald. First of all, thank you for coming on Money Making Conversation master Class.
Speaker 2: How have you been this sounds.
Speaker 1: Like a program or your pro seems to be locked into Google and providing dream like opportunities for people who can get these scholarships by going onto your website.
Speaker 2: How you promoting this or how you spreading the word?
Speaker 3: Ah, mister Raushan, you know I'm country, mister Rashan, I am boots on the ground. We are out here, grassroots. We are going to every community center that's local. We are going to the adult education classes. I am on social media pushing this information out. I mean any and everybody that will hear me. I'm trying to shout it from the rooftops to let them know you don't want to miss this. You don't want to miss this opportunity to increase your earning potential. So I'm literally out here getting in my car I call a Pearl, Me and Pearl, driving up and down the highways, trying to get to every adult education class that we can get to to tell these folks you need to sign up.
Speaker 2: Okay, fure we talk about the classes you're seeing.
Speaker 1: So if someone in New y someone in Chicago, someone in Los Angeles, someone in Houston or Dallas, they can register.
Speaker 3: They can. You have to be continental US. Wow. And you know, of course Google is gonna know if you're logging in from outside the US, but Continental US. And when I tell you, they were generous, Like I gave myself a pat on the back because I wrote that letter. Do you hear me? They gave me over three hundred scholarships. So I'm ready to deliver it to the comte.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, listen, So you have three hundred scholarships available nationwide.
Speaker 2: All individuals can do that no charge.
Speaker 1: Jesus scholarships three to six months were for online training for an opportunity to change your life. Your life, and you're doing the boots on the ground. Now you're on Money Make Conversations masterclass. Now we're about to we're going worldwide with you. Domestic US, Continental USA opportunities to register. Now, let's talk about you, said Rashaw, You and Perl that's the name of her vehicle going up and down the road. When you go in these classes, what has been the reaction or have you been disappointed in the reaction?
Speaker 3: Actually, I am being well received. The program is being well received. The thing about it is that you are changing I'm changing minds. People are thinking that I'll never be able to get out of the situation. I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul. And when they realized that you have an opportunity, and what I wanted to do was be credible. So I did some vetting on the back end, and I asked people who are in hiring positions in it, would you hire somebody with a GED and a Google certification. A couple of people told me who graduated college with a master's degree said they lost out on their first job because they didn't have a certification to a person who did. So it's valid. It's legitimate, and the people that I meet, they are overjoyed. Some of them might be a little skeptical at first, but once they realized that it's legitimate. I initially had about five hundred scholarships, so we've had so many people to enroll that now that number has went down.
Speaker 2: To three hundred.
Speaker 1: Come on, girds, give yourself around, employer, that's two hundred potential people. You've changed lives. Now, now let's talk about a little bit more about you. Because I wanted to get that out at the top of the conversation, because I wanted people to hear exactly the opportunity that your foundation brings to the table and it is changing lives. The importance of financial literacy. That's a financial literacy is a huge buzzword in the community. What does financial literacy mean to you?
Speaker 3: Financial literacy means to me that you understand the words, You hear the conversation and it's not Greek to you. You have tools that you can use to manage your expenses on a daily basis, that you understand how this applies to you. I heard a song from one of our famous young female rappers who says that she doesn't give an f about a credit score. I'm sure she's changed her mind since it, because she's realized. She's realized that you better care about that credit score because that's going to make the difference in your borrowing potential and how much money you have to pay back. So financial literacy means that we understand the conversation and we know what it means and how it applies to our daily life.
Speaker 2: So what's a misconception.
Speaker 1: Like you said, you have a rapper out there talking to the generation of people telling them don't care about the credit card. What you and I know that's a value. That's a value proposition to have your credit sCOD anywhere above seven hundred. You get in an eight hundred, you in as they say, platinum, platinum zone there. Now, talk to the audience a little bit about that credit score and how they can if you are aware of ways they can fix it, but why they should not ignore it. You mentioned it a little bit about how it can impact your loan, But it is a long ways to employment opportunities too, because they check everything now, they do.
Speaker 3: And they're looking for reasons to disqualify certain people, you know, and sometimes they will use that as leverage to disqualify you know, the next person from getting the job. But you know, my financial literacy encompasses all earning, you know, saving, borrowing, investing, protecting, and so among all of those. Credit plays a very big part because it's about your borrowing potential. And sometimes the best time to get credit is when you don't need it. But if you just want some really quick hacks, if you're in debt, you know, and there is no magic bullet, it's always to try and truth the snowball method, you know, pay down your debt gradually over time, and then extra credit increases on the cards that you have don't close your oldest account. So there are so many strategies that we can use to improve our credit. But the thing about it is that you have to stay consistent. You need to go to the annualcreditreport dot com, pull your credit report, see where you stand, and then devise a plan from there and move forward consistently. There is no magic bullet, there's no overnight pill. Just like losing weight, just like managing your health, you have to be consistent.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Cassandra Lester.
Speaker 1: Her foundation Go Grow Excuse me, Grow Give prosper as partnered with initiatives like Grow with Google to offer certifications, scholarships aim to enhance career opportunities for underserved communities. So would you say that's your mission for your foundation?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yes it is. That's my mission. And a lot of people know me. They kind of because I'll go off on a tangent. In a minute, you know, I'll start talking about you know, protection, I'll start talking about ways to increase your earning potential. I do workshops twice a month, and when I go into these workshops, I'm not just doing a lecture. I'm really connecting with my audience and I want them to feel why I'm so passionate behind it. So I'm not just sitting up there reading a paper. I'm really talking to my audience. I'm asking them questions, you know, and the green doesn't hurt, but definitely I left and I left out of one workshop and I was like, dang, I feel like I was in the pool pit because I really engage with my community partners when they invite me into these sessions. I talk to these people like their life depends on it.
Speaker 1: You don't want to miss an episode of Money Making Conversations Masterclass, So right now follow a subscribe to Money Making Conversations. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money.
Speaker 1: Making Conversations Master Class. Welcome back to Money Making Conversations Master Class with me for Shan McDonald.
Speaker 2: So your passion comes from somewhere now, I'm pretty sure you have.
Speaker 1: Can you share with us the story because I gotta. I want to pull back the curtain to find out why did you start this foundation? You saying you're doing it for the community, but was it a personal drive that got you started.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, not getting too much into it, but I've had a situation where I'm at a very young age, my identity was compromised before I was even able to get out and get on my own. So aging out into life, I had the odds stacked against me because my credit had already been ruined. And then realizing that I'm paying more for the same services as the next person because through no fault of my own, my credit got messed up. And then realizing, you know, I had my children young, I took several non traditional routes to education, but realizing that education is key to bettering your situation. So just you know, in a nutshell, I've always been able to land in positions where I could see both sides of the coins. When I was working at this major medical facility, I saw CNA's coming in who I resonated with and just wanting to help, you know, housekeepers and janitors just kind of help them to get that mindset to you know, what you have options. And so yeah, it all started from just my own personal experience and managing my bills and you know, trying to do what I can for my family and realizing that, you know, it doesn't have to always be like this.
Speaker 1: So, Cassandra, you know, I've been frustrating in my life because I try to bring individuals like you on my show.
Speaker 2: But I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: You're cheerleader for change telling us some of the roadblocks that you've had to hop over, go around, in fact run over to have an interview like this on this show.
Speaker 3: Wow. Some of the roadblocks just encountering people who minimize the impact of obtaining financial literacy. And the very first workshop I held, I asked them, why don't you want to talk about this? And a couple of them, I don't want you in my pocket. This is my business. You know what you're talking about ain't gonna help me. And then also just you know, the community as a whole, certain demographics don't like to talk about money. They feel like it's intrusive. And then also because I am a small nonprofit, a lot of times I'm not taken seriously by some of the bigger ones. I remember one time I went to apply for a grant and I saw one of my constituents apply for the same grant and they got the grant, and they told me, oh, sorry, we don't do that. And I was like, but I just saying, you'll give her like ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, right right right, So you.
Speaker 3: Know, but despite it all, and I'm going to tell you something. I quit every day and then I'll get a phone calls like Ms. Cassandra, are you coming to the Senate this weekend? Are you coming on Saturday? Okay, I'll be back down there.
Speaker 1: So I know the frustration can lead that. That's why I'm offering you. I'm very serious about that. You let me know, and I'm gonna put into my calendar and I'm gonna come down because you don't take me long to preach, and it will not take me long to be able to tell these people this side all these My degree in mathematage. My minder was in sociology and computer science, so I'm a computer Sudus science nerd.
Speaker 2: I were in college.
Speaker 1: I almost went and got my degree in mis management information system. So I've always been a person that's aware of data management and data security.
Speaker 2: Now, with that being said, let's tell everybody.
Speaker 1: Google didn't come to you with this idea. How did this idea come about? Because I always tell people It's about the effort you put out that can generate the positive things you get back in return.
Speaker 2: Tell us how this relationship started.
Speaker 3: The relationship started because I'm out here for my people. You know, you have a person that understands how important this is. And even though some people may not quite get it yet, that's not going to stop me from trying to get stuff that's going to be good for them. So I actually was using Google for a different capacity, and then I was on a webinar and they were just talking about some of the other products that were offered, and they you know, it's certain requirements that had to be met, and they were like, if you want to offer these scholarships to your community to help your community increase their earning potential. And I'm going to repeat something that I said earlier, Justice impacted communities, low income communities. Google is intentionally looking to seek these communities to give them an opportunity to level up if you will. So once I heard that, I said, this is what we need. You know, because you can't talk about managing finances if you really don't have anything coming in. You know, it's possible, but ultimately being able to earn a living is the first pillar in financial literacy, increasing your earning potential. So when I heard that that was an opportunity, I jumped on it. I you know, like I was obsessed. I was. I wrote three, four or five different you know pitches, and finally I settled on one. I submitted it, and it seemed like forever getting the word back. And then when I got the word back, they were like, you're approved, and you know this is what this is how it goes and good luck. And I was like, wow, thank you.
Speaker 1: You know well, thank you, thank you for coming on my show. Thank you for being honest about your journey and the fact that you are giving five hundred scholarships Google scholarships. Now you're down at three hundred. Our goal is to get it down to zero. Our goal is to make your organization to be one of the top job finders, a career finders for Google.
Speaker 2: I want them.
Speaker 1: I want Praise only comes through effort, Praise only comes through relationships and mentoring. And that's what I want to do and mentor you. That's why I want to give you my time personally to try to get the word out. But again, as we close the show, tell everybody about your initiative that you grow with Google and the jobs and how they can go and get these free scholarships that are being offered three to six months depending on the certification to floorish.
Speaker 3: Yours all right? You know, community, come on out. If you go to grow give prosper dot org scroll to the bottom Google Scholarships just click on it. The barrier to entry is low. The only thing we require from you is a commitment and a desire to want to do better and to see the program through to the end. So grow Give prosper dot org click on the Google Career Scholarships. They have scholarships in cybersecurity, data analytics, digital marketing, and e commerce, IT support, project management, and UX design and these scholarships are self paced online typically take three to six months to complete. No experience is necessary. You don't have to have any experience just to get started. And one thing I didn't mention is that you will get a portfolio. At the end of your certification. You will have created a portfolio that you can market to in demand businesses and you can go from having no experience to have to have created a portfolio that's going to make you viable in the market.
Speaker 1: Just go to your website grow gear prosper dot org and you can look for scroll down as you say, google scholarships. Go through the options, find out the one that fits you. If you want to find out the value, the career value of these jobs, just google salary and they'll show you how in three to six months you can start competing.
Speaker 2: That's all you want. That's all you want.
Speaker 1: It's competing in an industry that you once thought was impossible to crack a gig. Cassandra, thank you for coming on Money Making Conversations Masterclass.
Speaker 3: Thank you mister Rashawn and bless your ministry.
Speaker 1: Now. If you want to be a give so on my show, Money Making Conversation Masterclass, please visit our website Moneymakingconversation dot com and click to be a guest button. If you're a small business owner, entrepreneur, motivational speaker, influencer, a nonprofit, I want you on my show.