Speaker 1: Hi, everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take you on a trip through time back to January sixth, twenty twelve, when the world was supposed to end. Wait, was that when the world was supposed to end? I think that's when the world was supposed to end. I don't even remember. Now, that's how bs that myan calendar thing was. At any rate, I'm annoyed now. So I'm just gonna go ahead and let you listen to how floods work. Bloods are a terrible tragedy. We explain how they literally happen in this episode. Welcome to Stuff You Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh Clark. There's Charles W Chuck Bryant, and that makes this Stuff you Should Know. The podcast the Saturated podcast.
Speaker 1: This week super Saturated Floody Podcast. Yep. I don't know why this came to mind.
Speaker 2: I didn't see any flood that happened on the New Is it just I think I happened across it searching randomly, and I thought.
Speaker 3: It's a good one.
Speaker 1: Ye haven't covered that one yet.
Speaker 3: Flooded stuff always creeps me out. Oh yeah, yeah, I think it goes back to my days in Toledo as a young boy. Many times growing up in my house on Beverly Drive, there were there the mommee would flood and my basement would flood as a result, and sometimes it would come all the way up to like the top step. Really yeah, and I just think about, like all my dad's tools down there, like underwater, weren't supposed to be. It was just really creepy because you just opened the door and step on the landing and then there's just water. You can kind of see, like the top couple of steps that was you know, suggested all the other stuff that was down there. So I think since then, I've always like been fascinated and creeped out by the idea of things that are supposed to be above ground submerged like ships when we talked about the Bermuda Triangle, like a plane, yeah, down there in the trench, never to be found.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that's creepy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same thing with floods. Man, It didn't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't creep me out like that, but I get.
Speaker 3: It, okay, So Chuck, Yes, I take it you are familiar with flooding.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the one in ninety four done in Albany, the Great Flood, the Flint River flood. No, oh man, it was all over the news.
Speaker 1: Like they were like in Albany, Georgia. Yeah, I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: There were caskets, like four hundred caskets were loosed and wow, we're just kind of floating around. They were they had this weird tendency to congregate toward trees or around trees, and they so people started lashing them too, that because they had to have a court order to even grab the caskets. But apparently it was the second worst cemetery disaster in the United States. Couldn't find the fourth course nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was in Athens at the time. I was. I was not up on news.
Speaker 3: It was a big it was a big, big thing price but it was really creepy. You can see pictures of like caskets just kind of floating around.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They recently found a human school that they think was part of the remains that was moved by the flood.
Speaker 1: Jeez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing how out of the news loop I was while I was in college. Yeah, because it was pre internet. Yeah, I didn't get the paper. I was in college, who gets the paper and reads it.
Speaker 3: I knew people who sold the paper.
Speaker 2: I didn't have TV, so yeah, I knew about class and working at Mexcali grill and sleeping late and all of the kinds of things that I can't talk about.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: I remember the Gulf War that happened.
Speaker 3: Well because of that Internet that came after your college years, like two decades after your college years. You can see video of the news footage from nineteen ninety four. So you're fine stepping back in time.
Speaker 1: I will do so.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about flooding, Chuck. First, I guess to understand floods, we need to give a brief prime of the hydrological cycle. Yes, we do, if you ask me.
Speaker 2: There's been about the same amount of water on Earth for a long long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought this is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it hasn't always been in the same place as we know.
Speaker 3: No, and it's not the same water necessarily, right, There's a constant loss and gain of water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every day you lose water obviously to the atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Where like the solar rays and other cosmic radiation just blasts water vapors into like nothing you're gone by longer.
Speaker 1: Water. Sorry, as that is going on.
Speaker 2: Volcanic activity in the core or not the core necessarily, but in the inner Earth is releasing water and it about balances out on a day to day basis.
Speaker 3: But did you know that volcanos release water?
Speaker 1: Sure? After I read this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we even did a Volcano's Work podcast and I don't remember talking about it releasing water.
Speaker 1: But I don't either.
Speaker 3: When water is generated or introduced into the upper Earth in the atmosphere, it comes from volcanos. Thank Sixty percent of volcanic gas is water vapor.
Speaker 2: So it about balances out on a day to day basis, which is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, almost as if it's happening that way for a reason.
Speaker 3: I know. Are you familiar with the anthropic principle?
Speaker 1: No, what's that?
Speaker 3: We'll talk about it sometimes.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, it's not directly relating to this.
Speaker 3: No, it's about the concept of why everything is so falling and has fallen so perfectly into place that we are able to notice this and say, wait a minute, it almost seems like we're supposed to be here, right, And the anthropic principle is like, yeah, and there's like five million other worlds out there that didn't happen like that, so we aren't there to say, wow, it's almost like everything fell into place, so we're supposed to be here.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well see you just told me about it right now, done, trick to you.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Water can be all around the Earth in three different forms, as everyone knows. You have liquids, rivers, oceans, lakes, rain, solids we've talked about and this this kind of collects a lot of our podcast in a way, like the clouds and now we're talking about the Antarctica. Lots of frozen water that case at the poles the Antarctica, or it can be gas.
Speaker 1: Which is water vapor in the air.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's all moved around by the wind thanks to the sun.
Speaker 3: And remember I can't remember which podcast we talked about it in, whether it was the sun or clouds or something. But wind is created by the exchange of air. Is warm air is heated at the surface and rises, Yes, cooler air rushes in to fill that vacuum. Yeah, there's your wind, pal Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then well once that warm air rises, though, it's also going to get colder and form little droplets of water which form together to form clouds, which we went over in fluffy little clouds, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the sun heats the ocean surface, that evaporates, like you said, it rises, forms clouds, and then eventually clouds become pregnant with rain and rain falls down, right, that's right. As the rain falls down it fills waterways, rivers, streams, that kind of thing underground waterway first. Yeah, but for the most part, some of it does go to fill aquifers and that's storage, but the vast majority of it makes its way back to the oceans, where the process begins again and everything is complete in the circle of life.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: The cool thing here is wind is pretty consistent across the globe. Wherever you live, your weather is pretty consistent. You might think if you live in Atlanta, like, oh, that's crazy in December here at sixty five degrees. But by and large, if you look at the big picture, your weather systems are pretty consistent on a day to day basis, although in the case of flooding, anything can happen on any given day to knock things out of whack.
Speaker 3: Right, So you have a storm comes about, a thunderstorm, and you're like, wow, it's a pretty bad storm because you are capable. Your area is capable of experiencing a storm. Your area is capable of experiencing a freak storm, like a huge thunderstorm. Sure that dumps so much precipitation on the ground in such a short amount of time that these normal waterways that have been formed to hold the normal amount of water become overwhelmed. The water fills up, spills over the banks, and there's your flood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the key what you just said there is these waterways they form over a great, great period of time. You don't A river doesn't just spring up over the course of a year because there's a lot of rain.
Speaker 3: It takes like of several years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it takes a long long time to sort of get a feel, I guess of how much rain there is generally. And so this is how big I'm gonna be if I'm a river in Georgia, exactly.
Speaker 3: This is all I need to be except for the freak occurrence in Oh my god, now it's a flood. But then after the flood, it goes right back to where it was before. It's not. Rivers don't tend to plan their size for the worst case scenario, they're very lazy.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to say it, lazy, lazy rivers.
Speaker 3: So, like we said, the most common cause, the one that people are most familiar with, the most common cause of flooding is a large storm that allows an anomalous accumulation of precipitation.
Speaker 2: Whether rain could be melting ice from a mountain or snow, but rain is the one we think about most often.
Speaker 3: And like you said, because weather and patterns are pretty pretty stable over time in a lot of places, depending on the season, you're going to get anomalous normal precipitation, right, like monsoons seasonal flooding.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So with a monsoon, you have in the wintertime, the air over the land is colder than the air over the ocean, So the air over the ocean is rising in the air over the land is moving out to fill it up. So that means the wind is blowing out toward the ocean.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: In the summertime, the opposite is true, and so the wind is blowing in toward the land and that brings with it the monsoon rains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brings with it water.
Speaker 3: And this annual monsoon flooding we talked about it. We didn't call it that because we're not that smart. But in the how the Nile River works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it was and still is a very big part of their how they thrived over the years was they knew that the Nile would flood each year and extend the water out and when it waters receded, it left a nice fertile banks on which to live and plant foods.
Speaker 3: Right, And remember we talked about some of the problems from the Aswan Dam and other dams that they built along the Nile to control flooding. Basically say we're going to release this amount of water, so can go crops your and people aren't going to lose their houses to the now flooding every year. That is actually one of the big causes of flooding too. Damn breaks. Yeah, did you see that damn video I sent you.
Speaker 1: I didn't have a computer.
Speaker 3: You didn't look. You didn't see it on your It was flash. Oh it's really neat.
Speaker 1: I'll look at it later.
Speaker 3: I can't remember the name of the dam, but it's in Washington State and in October of this year it had like a controlled demolition and they just blew a hole in the bottom and all of a sudden, this water search comes pouring out and fills this area up, and then it starts to recede, and you see the water behind the dam just start to go down as the water in front of the dam starts to go up. It's really neat looking not.
Speaker 1: To check that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or if you're from Pennsylvania or a historian, then of course you know about May thirty first, eighteen eighty nine, the Johnstown flood.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't just Johnstown, by the way.
Speaker 2: It's known as the Johnstown flood, I think because that was the largest town that it flooded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 2: I think fourteen miles up stream from Johnstown was the South Fork Dam, and it hit a couple of towns on the way. Finally hit Johnstown six to ten inches of rain in twenty four hours, to the tune of a sixty foot wall of water going forty miles per hour.
Speaker 1: Wow, rush through town.
Speaker 2: Twenty million tons, not gallons, twenty million tons of water. And it was the first big disaster relief effort by the Red Cross. Oh really, Yeah, I got a number of twenty two hundred and nine deaths, seventeen million in damages, which would be over four hundred million dollars today.
Speaker 1: Wow, like close to a half a billion in damages.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And Springsteen fans might remember that from the song Highway Patrolman he sings about the Johnstown flood.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, that guy, nice folk hero, isn't it?
Speaker 1: He's all over it.
Speaker 3: We also remember we talked about in the Human Caused Earthquakes episode the Van Damn. Oh yeah, in Italy a landslide caused a wave to go over the dam and killed two thousand people. It seems to be the number when a dam breaks or for each two thousand people die.
Speaker 2: You know what I think it's cool is after having done like four hundred plus shows, like our world is starting to narrow a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know what's really crazy? What is we've already had this discussion. Oh and now we've come back to having it again. Really that's really narrow.
Speaker 2: Well. I just think it's cool when you do a podcast on flooding and it's also one about the Nile in clouds and volcanoes, and I mean, we're still a long way from covering and the sun. We're a long way from covering everything. But our world view is narrowing in a good way.
Speaker 3: I know, we're like menonites.
Speaker 2: Land plays a big part because you know, you can have a lot of rain, but depending on what kind of land it's falling on, it's going to affect how much it floods. If it floods at all, like the soil in the middle of a forest, it's going to really soak up a lot of water. Hard clay or rock or obviously concrete and asphalt aren't going to soak up much if anything, So that's gonna lend itself to flooding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and agricultural lands, crop lands that have been tilled, they're more prone to flooding than woodlands. Do you want to know why?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why I was wondering. You got that.
Speaker 3: We're about to circle right back again. But two earthworms. That's exactly why. That's why woodlands don't flood like farm.
Speaker 1: Because there's more little passageways from earthworms.
Speaker 3: Yes, and if you till cropland, if you till the land, it has a deletrious effect on the earthworm.
Speaker 1: Popular are saying that word like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, the earthworm population in the area, they basically leave, they take off or else they're cut in a bunch of pieces.
Speaker 1: So it does have a very deleterious effect.
Speaker 3: Deletrious, delictious. What is it? Species? Now I was wrong on that, called out big time. It's species. It's deletrious, it's not delictrious. Say you talk about species species.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was wrong on species because it's there are two acceptable ways of saying that.
Speaker 3: No, there's a right way species.
Speaker 1: No. No, if you look it up, it says species or species.
Speaker 3: I can't say anything. I can't even keep track of the difference between I and I and me.
Speaker 2: Concrete an asphalt, which I mentioned, Josh. Here in the Western world, there's a lot of that going on. Go to a city like La which I lived in, as you know, they had these concrete flood relief channels built in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't even have to go to La you can travel there via the movie Greece.
Speaker 1: Oh, like the La River basing. Is that what that is? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that is in T two. It's in the movie Them and These that you know, the where they have the car race.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they call it the La River, which is kind of funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before they paved it with concrete, they used it for the canoe scenes in a lot of the Tarzan movies in the thirties.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, it's all just smoking mirrors.
Speaker 3: Yes it is.
Speaker 1: Mash was in Malibu, for God's sakes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Levees, Josh, or another reason it can flood, as we all saw with the disaster with the Katrina New Orleans, when the levee breaks, as Robert Plant.
Speaker 3: Said, got no place to stay.
Speaker 1: No, you don't. And do you remember earlier this year when they purpose opened the Morganza spillway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically they sacrificed some local crop land for a lot more downriver. Yeah, And that's one of the points, like the reverse of the thinking usually or well it has been historically. Well, that's the point they make about all levies though, is generally they're great for that area, but there's generally there's going to be a problem on down the line at some point. Well, the same thing with concrete storm basins. It's the same. It's you're you're basically just saying, all right, let's get the water through here, and then when like the twer base runs out at your county line, you handle it. Yeah, and here's your flood county beneath us.
Speaker 2: Well, what I couldn't find about the Morganza spillway was the the effect, Like I saw like one hundred articles on the fact that they're going to open it up, and then the only article I found post releasing, like I think it was first time since nineteen seventy three they opened up a lot of these gates, was like a week after they said, well, it doesn't look like it's going to be as bad as they thought, And that's all I found.
Speaker 3: If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was a huge cluster that was on the Army Corps of Engineers. They created an incorrect estimate and it really screwed up a lot more land than they thought. Oh really, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, it was this year last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was spring when the rivers were rising. Yeah, and they said, we can't dove state New Orleans again, right, so we're going to open up a lot of these gates.
Speaker 3: Like up in like Missouri or something right now.
Speaker 1: No, No, it was in Louisiana.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, there was one in Missouri where they let this levee loose and flooded some crop land and it ended up like screwing things up all the way down or over to like Tennessee. Wow, I can't remember, so I guess those are two different stories.
Speaker 2: So if you live in Louisiana, I'd like to know the effect because I know they said it wasn't as bad as they thought, but I couldn't really get a pinpoint of the damage.
Speaker 3: And I want to know what happened in Missouri.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, let's talk about the coastline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we didn't mention, by the way, hurricanes too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tsunamis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tsunamis. Hurricanes big problems as far as creating flood conditions. But yeah, the coastline, you're talking about levies and dams. They fall into man made ways of diverting water to other people's problems. Yeah, and we've figured out ways of, I guess, protecting our beautiful coastlines from mother nature. And that's building walls, basically sea walls. It's like, have your worst waves, you're not gonna erode this beach. But the problem is is the whole process of erosion is part of creating and keeping beaches healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah and beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember I used to go to Hunting Island, South Carolina when I was a kid, and my mom went not too long ago, and she said that they have actually, like the whole coastline is different now from when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Really they have.
Speaker 2: They had to move a lighthouse inland because it had eroded so much. But they just, you know, they let it happen because it is a natural part of beaches, and it's a natural like oceans, beaches, rivers, they're.
Speaker 3: All dynamic, right exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, they're all going to move earth and water, and that's just the way it's supposed to be. And when humans step into try and prevent that, bad things can happen.
Speaker 3: Well, and we try to prevent it because we tend to settle near water. It's each transportation.
Speaker 1: Put's living on the beach is nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I mean even with the river too, it's like there's your crop land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's your.
Speaker 3: Easy access to irrigation, easy transportation food water obviously. Yeah, So we need to live near water, and then when these natural processes happen and takes our houses away, we're like, Okay, let's figure out how to how to solve this. And sometimes the solution is just kind of exacerbates the problem, that's right, Or creates a new one. Yeah, so we just got to figure things out.
Speaker 1: I think we're working on it.
Speaker 2: This is one really cool part I thought was you always see how you know a flood, floodwaters will wash a car away or something and it doesn't even look like that much water. Yeah, and you think, you know, I d I drive my truck like through a river in the North Georgia Mountains and you just plow right through it. Yeah, and that's like twice as deep and really rushing river.
Speaker 3: You say, take that nature, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Take that nature.
Speaker 2: But the difference here is I thought this is really interesting, is is what water wants to do is level itself out. So when you've got a lot of water from a flood in a place where there's previously no water at all, it's gonna want to find its level as soon as possible by rushing really hard.
Speaker 1: So it's just gonna be a lot more force than the steady stream of a river. Yep, it's really as easy as that.
Speaker 3: It's all there is too.
Speaker 1: So like a couple of feet of water can wash a car away.
Speaker 3: Two feet two feet of water in a flood condition where it's rushing from one from a higher level to a lower level's balance out can wash a car away that's nutty, and six inches under those conditions can knock a human off his or her feet.
Speaker 1: And that's how people die in a flood.
Speaker 3: Well, I think half of the deaths associated with most floods are from people trying to ford a rushing water in their car, spellway in their car. Yeah, that's the problem because you get carried out and you're in your car and you're trapped, and that's that.
Speaker 1: That's sad.
Speaker 3: It's very sad.
Speaker 1: Flash flooding the most dangerous of all floods.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this jogged my memory when they was talking about Big Thompson Canyon, Colorado.
Speaker 2: I think we might have hit on that at some point because it jogged my memory too.
Speaker 3: You want to talk about it, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: In nineteen seventy six, July thirty first, Colorado was celebrating it's centennial and at about five or six o'clock it started to rain and it was a really weird thunderstorm that didn't move. It just planted itself for four hours over Big Thompson Canyon. Rained twelve inches in four hours.
Speaker 3: And that's how much the area gets in a year. Usually.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: In four hours and a twenty foot high rush of river going about fourteen miles an hour by nine pm washed through the canyon, and it was so like out of nowhere, which is what a flash flood is. It's not like, hey, you know, with the Johnstown flood, they had warnings even though people didn't heed them, and most of the times you know a flood's coming, but with a flash flood, they were just like trapped.
Speaker 3: Plus there also just happened to be thousands of campers down there celebrating the centennial of Colorado.
Speaker 1: It was well, the perfect storm.
Speaker 3: But the river that feeds the canyon, normally Big Thompson River, is apparently normally pretty slow moving, the old Big Teddy, but because of this flash flood, it was dumping two hundred and thirty three thousand gallons eight hundred and eighty two thousand liters of water into the canyon per second per.
Speaker 1: Second, so that's a lot.
Speaker 3: So basically, a flash flood is like a flood, but it's even more concentrated and the water's moving even more violently.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: I got the number between one hundred and thirty nine to one hundred and forty five dead.
Speaker 1: Five were never seen again. Geez, four hundred cars, four hundred.
Speaker 2: And twenty houses, and forty million, which would be about one hundred and fifty million today. And interestingly, three years ago, this one guy was found alive in Oklahoma that they thought died. He got he left town that morning and like didn't tell people. Oh, and I think they were the key came up in records and he was like, no, I'm out here in Oklahoma. I'm just fine. Yeah, I didn't. He didn't even realize that he was on the death list.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, But they still every July thirty first, they still pay remembrance obviously in Colorado.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's also I mean, you think about cars being washed away and people being knocked off their feet and being flooded in canyons, But there's also a lot of problems with flooding after the fact, Like a flood brings with it a lot of silt and mud and nastiness, sewage, sewage, and when the floodwaters recede once again, all that stuff sticks around.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Apparently Florence, Italy suffered a pretty big flood on the Arno River.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 3: And Florence, of course, is one of the great repositories of Renaissance art, and a lot of the repositories in that repository were basements and first stories, and that stuff got flooded. And apparently they got a lot of the stuff back to at least good quality.
Speaker 1: A lot of it.
Speaker 2: But there were I looked up, there were six hundred thousand tons of mud and sewage. Oh my god, after they left fourteen thousand works of art and a hunt sorry, three to four million books and manuscripts and records. And I don't know how many out of the fourteen thousand were restored, but I bet it wasn't thirteen five hundred, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because a lot of this stuff was completely destroyed.
Speaker 3: That's that's awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very sad.
Speaker 3: At least invading hordes didn't set it on fire on purpose.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also killed about one hundred people, yeah, which you always hear about the artwork, Like, I had to really research to.
Speaker 1: Find the amount of deaths. Really yeah, well, well not that much research, but a few extra clicks.
Speaker 3: I guess. And then disease is another big problem too. You said, sewage chemicals. Yeah, the deceased. All of this, oh yeah, is mixed together and.
Speaker 1: It's an albany that probably was not a fun soup.
Speaker 3: No, So if you are, if your area is flooded, you want to basically boil any water that you're going to drink, or drink bottle of water. Get one of those one h air water manufacturers that sucks the water vapor of the ambient air and converts it to bottled water.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, did you hear about the netty pot deaths recently? No, these two people in Louisiana died and they believe it was from using the netty pot, which I use on a daily basis, and it got they got a brain eating amba cross into their nasal passage from using contaminated water. To Nettie with and my friend, you know, I've been netting for like six years every day, and my friends.
Speaker 1: Like Duba that, oh would do that? If are you? I was like, come on, dude, did.
Speaker 3: Your friend know that he sounds like that when you say.
Speaker 1: I was aping him.
Speaker 2: He sounded much more intelligent than that. Okay, but I'm not gonna stop netting.
Speaker 3: Well, you have to boil the water. At least to yourself that favor. I'm gonna do that, Chuck, brainy, eating amba would not look good on you. I'll take my chances, all right, Okay, I guess that's it.
Speaker 1: I got nothing else.
Speaker 3: I got nothing else, Flatty. You want to call out for anything in particular?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, if you live in Big Cannon or Johnstown or any story. Yeah, I bet you got some some personal anecdote a family member.
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah you can. Uh. Oh wait, wait, we haven't done lest your mail yet. Man, we're aboting to jump the gun.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought you were about doing that.
Speaker 3: I was about to give our email that addressing. Well, if you want to learn more about floods, you can type in floods in the search bar at HowStuffWorks dot com. And I said search bar. So it's Chuck's turn for a listener mail.
Speaker 2: Josh, I'm gonna call this request from Adam to save birds.
Speaker 1: Before the STA Bowl?
Speaker 3: Request of what?
Speaker 2: Request from Adam to help save birds before the bowl? Okay, he has a thing going on and it ends at this Stiper Bowl.
Speaker 3: I got you, so we want to get it out.
Speaker 1: I come to humbly beg a favor. Guys.
Speaker 3: No, he knows how to get our attention.
Speaker 2: He said he could apply us with beer if his loyalty is not sufficient.
Speaker 1: In this case it is sufficient.
Speaker 3: I don't know beer can be mail.
Speaker 2: My NGO's fundraiser needs a plug. We are the Alamos wild Lands Alliance and the research director there and we are trying to create a reserve and a rare habitat. We also do research and education in a remote part of north west Mexico. We run a biological field station called the Navopasia Field Station.
Speaker 1: You can check us out on Facebook and our.
Speaker 2: Website is www dot Alamos Wildlands dot org and that is a Lams Wildlands dot org and it's a US based nonprofit. It's very small, run by volunteers mostly, he says.
Speaker 1: Run by birds, Run by birds.
Speaker 2: And for the second in a row, they are doing a fundraiser called the bird Athon, and it's like a walkathon, but instead of miles walked, people get pledges for the amount of.
Speaker 1: Bird species they see in a given day. My team had one hundred and sixty three last year. Wow, one day. It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: It is a fun way to raise money for conservation in a place that is unique and rare, that runs from January thirtieth to February fifth. We often have a Super Bird Saturday when most people go out the day before the Bowl, which is a football game played here in the United.
Speaker 3: States, American football, not European not soccer or rest of the world football.
Speaker 2: Yes, more teams are always welcome. We have at least eight now, though some have yet to register, and anyone can start their own team or just donate. It's really easy and it's on our website. The money goes to a good cause. Is texts deductible. And here's something sad. Josh, the environment and animals only get about two percent of charitable giving worldwide.
Speaker 3: I have to be honest, I'm surprised that the environment and animals. He says, yeah, so humans get the other ninety eight percent.
Speaker 1: I guess, so which is?
Speaker 2: You know, charitable giving is good no matter what, but forget about.
Speaker 1: Our free creatures.
Speaker 2: It is pretty low attached or some pictures of my team, the Lucha Doors.
Speaker 1: We wear masks and capes while birding, so it.
Speaker 2: Kind of ties in nicely totally with the podcast we did on Mexican wrestling.
Speaker 1: Which was not this one.
Speaker 3: Can we post that picture?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'll check and then he is his wife's team. It's called the Booby, named after the blue footed booby.
Speaker 1: A common bird that we have done here.
Speaker 2: Regardless, guys, thanks to both of you for helping to make being smart cool again. So please go check out www Dot Alamos Wildlands dot org and sign up and sponsor someone for this burdithon Superbird Saturday.
Speaker 1: Get a team together, help these guys out.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Tweet tweet Did you mention the s Bowl? Did you use the actual name? Because I think we can get.
Speaker 1: In trouble for that for saying seool.
Speaker 3: I don't think you should say it. Really, yeah, we'll find out.
Speaker 1: How can we get in trouble?
Speaker 3: Like apparently they actively sue people who use that word like even mentioning it. Like remember the Simpsons they never mentioned what where they were going when they went to that huge football game and Dolly Parton the episode that Dolly Parton.
Speaker 1: Was on, Now I have the halftime of my life exactly. Yeah, yeah, you're right doing all right? So we can just beat that out and people be like smole, what's that right?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Nice? Okay, Well, if you have an NGO that you think we'd like to plug. We're happy to do that from time to time. You can tweet to us, especially if it's a bird ENNGO at s y SK podcast. You can send us some sort of message on Facebook at Facebook dot com slash stuff you Should Know, and you can send us an email to Stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com. Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.