Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of the Mark mass Show, where we're talking about the decentralized revolution, of course, each and every week, looking at through the lens of politics, finance, and technology, and that technology is of course bitcoin that's changing the world. You know. I'd like to bring to you some education to change the way you think about money, some late breaking news you can see the play by play, and of course some interesting guests. You don't have to listen to me all the time. And today I am joined by Ben Askern. He is an Olympian, an MMA champion, and yeah he's also a bitcoiner. Ben, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thanks for having me. I feel like a veteran bitcoinner now because I've been in since twenty seventeen, and that's you know, in the beginning, it felt like I was late, which I think everyone thinks they feel like they're late. But now I feel like a veteran.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had the very first interview I did in studio, I had Mike Tyson in here and I said, did you really say, you know, everyone has a plan take a punched in the face, And he said he did. And so in regards to that, I mean, you're an MMA athlete, olympian even punching the face a bud. Is that sort of like going through these bear markets that you've gone through now a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's great because now, yeah, I'm at the point where it is kind of like numb. I actually don't look at the price all that often. I'm not gonna sell. It's not going to phase me. You know. I didn't sell the first time around though, either, And I got in kind of like when everything was going nuts in twenty seventeen, and I watched it rise to the top and I probably you know, say three or four x whatever money I put in, and then obviously crashed, and I watched it crash, and then the second time around, I was like, Okay, I think that's gonna happen again. And I had a plan to sell in the quarter four of twenty twenty one and then reby at the bottom, and I just didn't think sixteen nine was gonna be the top. So I never sold anything. And then you know, when it started going down, I'm like, well, I guess I'm just gonna just keep holding, and uh, you know, now I'm sure next bull market I'm gonna time it right. I'm gonna sell a little bit and then'm gonna rebuy the bottom. Not too much much, just a little bit.
Speaker 1: You know, I have the same story now I'm I'm going to you know, been full disclaimer. I'm the same I held after the twenty seventeen bull run and into twenty eighteen. However, I'll admit I did have a little regret. I was like, dang, look how much I could have had if I was tolled back. And now it's like and you know, then it was like will it ever come back? You know, did I miss my one chance? And will it? Will it never come back? Sort of a thing. And then exactly just like you you know, historically, which is not a lot of history, but the market kind of peaks at eighteen months past having which put it in November of you know, twenty twenty one, and it was like, no, this can't be it. It's got to be one hundred and twenty one hundred and fifty. No way, it's at sixty five. So, you know, Michael Saylor with is like all your all your models are broken, so to speak. The institutional adoption, No, this can't be it, And sure enough, November twenty twenty one, like right on the money, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I figured this time, you know, because there's also like, well will the cycle model break or we'll would be a longer cycle. You know, there was all those narratives in the last cycle, and now it's like, well, you know, it's eighteen months past having this time, I'm going to sell some. I'm not gonna sell that much. And you know what, if it keeps going up, I'll probably still be happy anyways, and that goes down, then I'll be prepared to buy some more. So kind of either way, I view it as a win. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think you know, one thing, when you if you go to like the bitcoin conference or I spoke at bit block Boom a few weeks ago, like nobody there is talking about the price, Like there's just no not not really a relevant topic of conversation for most people. And so it's sort of like this kind of like weight and see type of a thing. You know, you being an MMA champion, like you've worked hard for you know, most of your life to achieve a level of success. So I'm sure that's kind of giving you like this long term perspective that probably helps you today versus like a lot of these like short term like gamblers that come in. Would you say that might.
Speaker 2: Be huh, you know, I kind of obviously, you know, whether it's wrestling or fighting or anything else. Being an athlete, you realize I'm going to have to make some sacrifices to have more what I want later. Right. That's a kind of mature mindset that sport puts you in, is I'm going to sacrifice now because I want to get something later, which is kind of the same thing with this. But I think also the more the more and more I read about bitcoin, I told you my goals read fifty books this year, and obviously quite a few of them have been bitcoin books. You just realize what's wrong with the Fiat system, and you realize what's wrong with money, and you realize bitcoin is just a better money than anything else that they've made before. And I can't guarantee you it's going to win, but I think it has the best chance. And so if I just hold on long enough, I'm probably gonna be doing pretty well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you were saying that, I love this quote from Muhammad Ali and he said suffer now and live and live the rest of my life as a champion. Right, so sort of that embraced the suck today, right. Yeah, you know, I think in regards to that, it is certainly better. Now, the best product doesn't always win, and so typically un CD incumbent, you have to be way better than just better. And so that's why I like a better version of Twitter, better version of whatever. That doesn't really gain traction, but when you're a thousand times better, it does. And I think that's what bitcoin is, right, It's a thousand times better, and a lot of people don't realize it, but like, you know, what's the utility. It's like, well, if you need to send money to somebody in Afghanistan, there's utility, right, if you live in North Korea, like there's utility in the United States. It's hard for us to see that. But it is a thousand times better. It can do things that nothing else can do. So from that standpoint, I feel like we just have to be patient.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's it, And I think especially especially Americans, they kind of don't see a lot of the use cases, right. I Mean I talked about I traveled to Asia a bunch because I fought in one championship, and a big thing over there is the remittance market. That's the thing for most Americans. They don't recognize why it's important on you know, without Salvador, it's hugely important. And there's a whole bunch of these things are like, well, we're finally feeling inflation in America, which I'm sure is not going to stop anytime soon. And you know, but you go to some place like Argentina where the money doesn't hold value, or Turkey, you know, oh wow, well that's another use case. Right. So there's all these use cases that are out there that I think a lot of Americans don't really recognize yet. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I was speaking of this event a few weeks ago, as I said in Austin bit block Boom, talking to a bunch of people, and I kind of I just kind of had this realization that unfortunately, the saying is smooth seas never made a skilled sailor, right, success is a horrible teacher. And so because we don't have that problem with our money here, most times people are just like, what do we needed for? And like we almost need this, I don't I don't want it. Unfortunately, I think this is where we're going. But we need this adversarial take of where the government. You know, the more the government's squeeze, the more they try to censor, the more Bitcoin shines. And so unfortunately we need that for bitcoin to re kind of achieve its potential. I don't want it, but but I feel it's coming, and so you know, everyone's going to learn at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those of us who are able to see it ahead of time are probably gonna be the ones who benefit the most, and both from being able to have it and use it when we need it, but also from the price is inevitably going to go up.
Speaker 1: Also, Yeah, how did you first get introduced to it?
Speaker 2: It was one of my college dressing bodies. I was actually a fight one of my colle dressing teammates. He lived in Australia for a while. I was a geologist and he would come to my fights when I was an Asia a bunch And you know, I had voted for Ron Paul in twenty twelve. I had read end the FED. I had understood the issue with fiat currency. I mean, there's a lot of people that get a bitcoin right because you hear about it, You're like, wait, oh, it can fix this problem, and it can fix this problem. Right, And if you don't see, if you don't see any problems, if you're not aware of them, then you're like, well, I already have money. Do I need a different money? Why do I need that? You know? But when you're like you've read and the fed or it's like you see it, you're like, oh wait. So it was like the first aid told me. I'm like, oh, how do I get how do I get some of that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: At that point, I think coinbase had something where you could only buy like four thousand dollars a week, right, and that's uh, you know. So I was buying like four thousand dollars a week for a while, and obviously I had cointer phase. I bought a bunch of that.
Speaker 1: Went to zero, no did I.
Speaker 2: So like everyone did, and it was funny how hard it was, and people talk about and it is a little bit hard stealing inaccessible, but like back then, I think it was like something called ether delta or something and you had to, you know, buy ethereum and they had to send a set of theoreum somewhere else and then you had to send to ether delta and then you had to make purchase orders. You know, it was wild how you get stuff back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, same, same kind of thing. And I wasn't really aware of the problem. I became a goldbug after two thousand and eight. I was on calln the FED campaign as well, not on it, but but on board with it, and so I was already aware of the problem. I thought gold was a solution, and when I saw this, I was like, oh, there we go. And to your point, you know, most people just aren't aware of the problem, so of course they're not looking for a solution. If you're just tuning in, you're listening to the Mark Moss Show. I'm sitting down with Ben Askern. He's an MMA champion, he's an Olympian, and he's even a bitcoiner, and he's a Ron Paul fan. Even we're running through a whole bunch of stuff. We're going to take a very very short break. We're going to be right back with more in a second. You don't want to miss this. It don't go away. We're going to be right back, all right, Welcome back. If you're just tune in, you're listening to the Mark Moss Show, sitting down with Ben Askern, MMA athlete, a champion Olympian, and a bitcoiner. Now, before the break been you were saying, how surprising maybe to me and probably most people, being a being a meathead wrestler, MMA guy whatever, Like you're reading Ron Paul back in like you know whatever, twenty ten eleven whatever that was like. And you were telling me before we started recording that you're you have a goal this year to actually read fifty books. So you're actually quite a reader. Yes, why fifty books? I mean, what what have you read in the past? I mean, have you read twenty five or fifty books a year in the past? What's that school all about?
Speaker 2: Let's see, I think I think I can move this. Hopefully, I hope I'll mess up the whole podcast. But if you want to look like my.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, here we go.
Speaker 2: Oh you can see my library is over there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right.
Speaker 2: So I've always been I've always been a reader, just you know, ever since I was a kid. I in the beginning, I liked reading about athletes, athlete biographies, that type of stuff, and then you know, you venture down different rabbit holes. I actually don't even know I could. You said, Ben, how'd you get into Ron Paul, start reading his stuff, I would say, I have no idea. I stumbled upon it one time and and if I think, if you're if you're logical, it makes a lot of sense, right, it resonates with you. And yeah, so I mean went down that rabbit hole and I voted for Ron Paul eight or twelve or somewhere in that time period. You know when, man, he would have been the best president, or he would have killed it so hard. But obviously, you know, as we're seeing, like with RFK Junior, the government machine, the RNC and the DNC, you know they don't want to let outsider candidates into the real races. But man, he would have been great. I actually got that dinner with him at the l like one convention in twenty nineteen. It was the best.
Speaker 1: How do you go from like being a strong Ron Paul supporter wishing he could have been president he would have been the best to now you threw out RFK like is he somebody that you could see yourself voting for?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah. I'm pretty open about my politics. I've voted for Donald Trump in twenty sixteen, twenty twenty, and I think for me that outsider. It just kind of that's That's what I'm feeling, is like we need someone else who's outside the system, and Trump was, you know, people don't like him, but he was absolutely outside the system. RFK he makes so much sense. I mean, I listened to him at Bitcoin Miami and just his speech was so good and you could tell he fully understand bitcoin. And we talked about some of the other issues, but we didn't talk about the freedom component, and that was the one he really focused on and he really understands that. To you, Vivic is another guy, which he was not as compelling as RFK. To me, he was good. He's actually really good on Twitter, really makes some good points, but in person he wasn't quite as good as RFK. So yes, I could see myself voting for RFK. I don't think they're gonna learn it be the candidate. I just don't think that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Well, I asked only because I've never I've never voted Democrat in my life, but now all of a sudden, I'm like, I could probably vote for r FK too, just because to your point, he makes sense and he's like pro freedom, Like that's what we want and it sort of it sort of highlights this battle of we the people versus the government. Right, yes, Like it's not left or right, man, I just want someone that's gonna like be for smaller government, Like that's such a bad thing, right. Vivic's great too. I've had him on the show. He's so well spoken.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: That guy is so sharp.
Speaker 2: Man, he really sharp.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you this is like almost like he was speaking as friends and no one's listening to this. Is that I just I got too much of politician y vibes. When I listened to Vivid at Bitcoin Miami, it felt like, hey, he's got a list of eight checkpoints he wants to hit and it's boom boom boom, boom boom, And it kind of lacked the depth that RFK had, you know, And so when you had to compare the two, when you listen to both, it was just like, as a bitcoiner, RFK was so much more compelling to me.
Speaker 1: I agree, he does come off too polished, where it's almost like slimy salesperson. Not that I'm saying that, but what I'd say is that Vivic does all that on his own, like from memory whereas like RFK had someone write a speech for him, Like so like that's like that's a big difference, so keep that in mind. But yeah, Vivid is like his whole thing was like I want to challenge everybody. No one shows up with any notes, no teleprompters, Let's just go just us Like that's kind of his deal. Yeah, but well anyway, it's it's interesting. I want to ask you about something else. Well, actually, before I do, let's just jump back to the books for a minute. So fifty books a year. I started this thing. It was I was watching breed Love's podcast and you had this young kid on that talk like five hundred miles an hour, and he was talking about like reading and listening at the same time. Wo. And so I've started to download audible books and buy them, and then I put my headphones.
Speaker 2: In the same book.
Speaker 1: You read and listen at the same time, and I can turn the speed up to like three x and then because you're reading and at the same time, like you're getting like total comprehension.
Speaker 2: And wait, you you can read at three x speed.
Speaker 1: On auible if you listen and read at the same time. Wow, So Audible You're listening at three x and then you're reading and like it. If you're just listening, it's too fast and you can't really comprehend enough. But if you can read and listen together, dude, it's pretty amazing. You can take a ten hour book and turn it into like a movie. It's got two and a half movie. Now, Wow, I've never tried that. I do listen to.
Speaker 2: It was fifty books between listening and reading, and I think it's gonna be twenty thirty splitter somewhere in there. I did thirty books in twenty twenty twenty one, maybe twenty twenty at some point back then. Yeah, I don't know. It's felt like I kind of had a lot of books on my shelf come January one, and I'm like, I'll do something. I think it's gonna be kind of challenging. And so here's what I do. And I love throwing in the earbuds and you know, working out or I have ten acres, so I get the chainsaw and burn stuff a lot, and that's a lot of fun for me. So you know, throw the earbuds in, listen to a book, and go chain saw some stuff.
Speaker 1: Where's ten acres? What state.
Speaker 2: Use, I'm in Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm in California. But we bought a little some acres out in Texas and man, it's winter. With the freezers, we had all these trees that came down. Oh man, there was so much work.
Speaker 2: That's another topic, but it's so much fun. I don't know about your life, but I'll tell you about my life. My life is I kind of do a lot of things where it affects other people, right, and so I have a responsibility. And so it's like any decision I make is going to get second guests or sometimes have questions or I don't have to explain something, and we just go outside of your chainsaw and just start chopping stuff up and no one gives a damn. It's so much.
Speaker 1: Fun, meaning as opposed to be a quan in front of like public scrutiny on everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, public scrutiny or even like you know, with your business, it's like, well you do you know, I run wrestling academies, and so you know, you make a decision, it's going to affect a bunch of people. And then obviously some of the people aren't gonna like the decision you make, right and then you don't have to explain, well, here is why I made the decision. And you know, I'm sorry you don't don't like it, but that's what it's going to be. And you know, when you go outside of your chainsaw, it's like you used to get to go hack some stuff down and burn it and no one's going to complain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I get it. Sometimes it's just like that manual kind of work that you can just kind of go, kind of get in that zone is somewhat somewhat kind of therapeutic. I guess in a sense, what are what are a couple of big what? Maybe what's a book or two that you would recommend that you've read this year?
Speaker 2: Oh oh, now I can get my list out. Let's see. I have read quite a few bitcoin books this year. Let's see books right now I'm really struggling with and I wrote I bought The Road to Surf Surf on by Fa High. That's like a red but it's hard, man, it's a hard read. It's not easy. Just that the older, older form of writing, I feel like it's like really dense and that one.
Speaker 1: You can't do at three X speed for sure. That's like you have to reread the paragraphs a couple of times, yea to even catch on what's going on Chapter six specifically, I've gone through that one a couple of times because he talks about laws and how you need that you need to have laws that are easy for everyone to understand and they're written and just reading their stone so then everybody can plan their life based off of those laws as opposed to being arbitrarily applied. It was amazing. If you're just tuning in, you're listening to the Mark Mash Show. I'm sitting down with Ben ask MMA champion Olympian and bitcointerer. We got a lot to cover, like a very quick breakdough. Just for a second, we'll be right back in a minute. Don't go away, We'll be right back, all right, Welcome back. If you just tune in, you're listening to the Mark Moss Show, sitting down with Ben Askern, MMA champion Olympian and a bitcointerer and an avid reader fifty books. Ben, you're about to tell me some other books that you read this year that you thought were really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, if everyone I love discussing this, I actually suggest I do a podcast with someone about this and we never got around to it. But the Sovereign Individual, Oh, it's the best, and you know what he they It is so fascinating because it feels as though it will so number one pretty He absolutely predicted bitcoin ahead of time, like twelve years ahead of time, but he predicts so many other things so far ahead of time, and it's like, oh my god, this book is so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree. I've read it a couple of times. I have, like, I have pages of notes that I took on that book. And that's another book that you can't get through at three X speed. So some of these books that are like really information dense, you kind of do have to slow down, you know, obviously for sure. Cool. I wanted to ask you about something else, something that I'm personally wait.
Speaker 2: Were talking about a couple more books first, Oh yeah, yeah, you got me all excited.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you got the list. Let's do it. Let's do it at the Sovereign Individual though, real quick. Maybe we'll do another show follow up. We could talk about it, because I got the whole outline. It'd be fun, it'd be it'd be very good for the audience because I think it's a must read book. But yeah, go ahead hit.
Speaker 2: Up a couple of bit well, but this HiT's right in your bitcoin stuff, right is uh Alex Gladstein. I read one of his books and he would I listened to him speak at the Bigcoin Convention, but uh, hidden Repression and check your financial privilege. Those were very awakening for me. Like, you know, I understood, like the government's bad and they probably done some shady stuff. But then you read that and you're like, oh my god, it was it was even worse than what I thought it was. Yeah, so bad, so bad. So those two were good. And then you know what other one that I just I think it just came out, but it's called the Fourth Turning is here, which is like a follow up to the Fourth Turning which was written And I said, and I know that part resonates with a lot of bitcointers because they you know, I just saw Lynn Olden posting hashtag Fourth Turning today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have I have Neil Howe, the author of the book, coming on tomorrow.
Speaker 2: He's awesome, You're lucky.
Speaker 1: And I've read the first one and I'm like halfway through the second one. But too, it's like it's a twenty hour book. It's a twenty hour right, so it's like, oh man, I'm not quite through it. I haven't gotten to the part where he kind of forecasts what's coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So if if I had to complain about the second book was I felt as though the first chunk was kind of like a rehash of a lot of things he went over the first book, which I guess if you know, if someone has not read the first book, they're gonna want or need that information. And because it's necessary to understand how he goes through his process. And the other one is that's just it's so hard to remember you know, every single age group and then what age they're at in their lives and stuff like that. That's another tough one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. Yeah, so that's a good one. Yeah. Those are great books, absolutely, and know what you got?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, let's see.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I'm sure you read through so many because there for day and I'm sure to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could sit there. Those are some fun ones. Yeah, sovereign individual I have principles of economics another one that you know, and I would say the Bitcoin standard is one of my favorites. And you know, I went to college for geography because I thought I was gonna be a college wrestling coach, and then I ended up fighting and I got distracted from college dressing, coaching and pinning out back by I never say business, and so I've kind of like been trying to, like, I don't say, learn after the fact, and you know, just reading bigcoinners version of what business is and how how the economy works versus reading and Austria. You know a lot of bitcoin economics is Austrian economics. I think.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's it's been kind of like fascinating seeing their viewpoint on things versus normal people's viewpoint on things.
Speaker 1: There was this book I read this year called The Revolt of the publicis of Authority in the New Millennium. Man. I highly recommend that one. I had the author on. That was good. Revolt of the Public. That might have been the most intriguing book I read this year. Just The Infinite Game Simon Sinek, That one's pretty cool. The Fourth Turning I'm working on that one right now.
Speaker 2: So uh, your your your co host or said, The Block Size War and the in the in the chat here, that was a fun book. Someone's posted about today. But that was a fun one because I wasn't around for that, right I came in. I came into bitcoin too late. Uh so I came in right after that. And now that was really fun to read about the history of uh you know, the block size.
Speaker 1: Wars, if you like, if you like the Fourth Turning and the sovereign individual? Have you read the End of the World is just the beginning Peter's I have not.
Speaker 2: I put oh no, but that guy, wasn't that the knuckload that was on Rogan saying bitcoin?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: I had him on my show and he and he said the same thing. He's a knucklehead about bitcoin, but doesn't change the fact a lot of his research I think is really good and compelling.
Speaker 2: So why don't you think something like that? Why do you think he misses on bitcoin so much? Because and this is another like Elon Musk is probably one of the smartest individuals of planet Earth, but it feels like he's missing on bitcoin.
Speaker 1: And I think it's an easy answer. I think it's actually easy answer. The reason why is what happens is the Bible says it's easier for the camell to go through. I have a needle than a rich man to heaven. And that's because the rich man is so proud, right, they know everything. You have to humble yourself. And so these smart people, the Elon Musk and the Peter's Ions, they know everything. So I look at it for five minutes. Ah, I get it, I get it, I get it whatever. Right, They had never taken the time to like actually learn about it, because as you know, now you've been in twenty seventeen, like you're still learning things about it, right, You're still figuring it out. And so they looked at it for five minutes they think they understand it, and then they're so smart and proud they just stop. And so like Elon Musk, I mean, the guy is like insanely smart. He's like a rocket scientist, like literally, but like he didn't have time to read five books on bitcoin like you. He probably hasn't read Ron Paul whatever. Right, Peter's Ion. He's sort of like a CIA mouthpiece as well. If you've listened to his stuff. He's like the most arrogant guy in the world, So rogon, right, And so I think that's prevent him, right, Sure, that's my opinion. But I don't think, I know, like safety and was like, I'll never read anything anything of his ever again. But I would say the book the data, it's so full of data that like, if you like those two books, i'd recommend it interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh yeah, I'll have to check it out. Yeah. I actually asked a bitcoin Miami. They did the you know, they did like the whale zone or whatever. It was like the backstage area, and they were they had some like small like fireside chats and when Bill Miller there was two Bill Miller's, when the Bill Millers were up on stage. The question I asked was, and I feel this to be the case, but anyone who the more classically trained someone is like someone who was a Harvard NBA for example, that I've talked to, the more classically trained they are, the more they want to reject bitcoin as a possibility. Kind I guess it would kind of speak to you know what you just said or that comment is like, you know, they feel like they know it all, they feel like they understand everything, and so this is something new and they're like, no, doesn't work in my paradigm.
Speaker 1: When I had when I had Peter's ion on I kind of like led him into this thing where he's like explaining how the world's breaking apart and no one's gonna trust anybody, and we're gonna have all these different factions and global trade is going to suffer and all these things and and and I said, so it sort of sounds like what you're saying is we need a decentralized ledger that nobody could control. Aha, And he goes, yeah, but nobody wants that. I'm like, you just went through this whole story of how no one's gonna trust each other, so like why wouldn't they? Like so the mind is like mine makes no sense in that In that regard, what he said on Joe Rogan was like an outright like it was either a lie or he's just completely so ignorant. It was, it was. It was horrible. But I don't want to spend a whole much time talking about that is it is a good book, even if I don't agree with everything he says. Okay, I did, because I want to ask you about something else, something else that I'm personally concerned with. You had your Twitter account hacked and you got a past and I've been locked out of my account for a month.
Speaker 2: What a month?
Speaker 1: And I'm like freaking out over here. I'm like a ky seed blue check like and like I can't get back in, So what happened with your Twitter hack? And how the heck, dude, h how I feel I can get back in?
Speaker 2: Okay? I feel like an idiot. I felt like an idiot the fact, so I got I got one of those messages that said, uh, you know, do you want to change your password or whatever? Right? You know you don't talk about U like someone tried logging on, Like oh damn, I'm like, okay, I'll change my password, right. And then I had some people like I have the two factor on and I had like some like attempts on two factor and I'm like what the hell? And then one morning I got hacked. So I'm like, hey, like I hacked cause I had like the AWA account and I found this person and they were able to get me back in right, and I'm like, damn it, Like was that person that I paid him like one hundred twenty bucks or something right, like did they just hack me? And then I pat him one hundred twenty bucks and they gave it back to me. And then like four days later the same thing happens, like the same process, right, I didn't get hacked, but the same process happens. And I finally clicked to me. One of the wrestlers that I coached, his dad is like into cybersecurity and everything, and I called him and said, dude, why why people? Why are people hacking me? What's going on here? And he kind of like walked me through some things.
Speaker 1: Hey, before you, before you, before you tell the answer of how you got hacked, I'm going to cut you off. If you're just listening and you're listening to the Mark mass Show, I'm sitting down with Ben Askrin. He's an MMA, an Olympic athlete, and he's a bitcointer, and we're going to talk about how his Twitter account got hacked. Don't want to miss it. Way back right back with more in a minute. Don't go away, all right, welcome back. If you just tune in you're listening to the Mark Moss Show. I'm talking with Ben Askron. He's an MMA athlete, olympian and a bitcointer, and he was just about to tell us what a cybersecurity but he told him how he got hacked on Twitter. So what was that story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this guy says, well, those are phishing emails, right the email, click on the email when it came, yes, and reset my password. And he said, well, if they do that, somehow they can skip the two factor authentication, you know. So he's like, but then I went back with an email. I was like, oh my god, it looks like it looks exactly like the actual Twitter email looks like you know when you know, I said, someone tried logging on from I was Copenhagen or some some crap, right, yeah, so I fell for it, but I got it back for one hundred twenty dollars And all they did was make a few spam posts and then I deleted it. I think I hacked by some Russians maybe five years ago, and they were making a bunch of an outrageous posts and I'd be like, that is not me. FYI. So yeah, but it sucks.
Speaker 1: But like, so you think so you think they got in because you got the email you clicked on it, yes, and then they probably gained it. And then I saw you make a post saying I got my account back. I paid this guy. Yeah, was that your post or was that like a deep.
Speaker 2: That was my post? That was my post yeah, and then so then I was like, well, wait did that guy hack me? That guy hacked me and then charge on hundred twenty bucks? Do you take help back? And then uh, I said a message like come on, bro jue mess with me. I won't tell nobody. And he's like no, He's like, I'm only a good guy only I only help people, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: How does he get it back?
Speaker 2: Though? I don't know, didn't ask questions. I got it back everything to find.
Speaker 1: Out when you got locked out? Did they turn the two factor authentication on? Like? How could you not get back in?
Speaker 2: You couldn't really no, I think it takes like it when you do something like that, it's like there's a forty eight hour per where you can't change the two FA. So for you know, if I was able to get it back, then they had they have to wait to change the two FA.
Speaker 1: Okay because somebody. What happened to me was it was like a Saturday, a month over a month ago. Now all of a sudden, my inbox just started getting filled with emails. Oh my god, ten twenty fifty hundred thousands of emails start coming in. I'm like, what is this and I'm like, someone to got my email and sign me up on like thousands of newsletters and websites, and I'm like, oh, they must be trying to hide something, obscure something. I googled it and it looked like there was like this an attack. I thought maybe they got my credit cards. They're trying to like hide, you know, credit card emails coming or something like that. And then later that day I tried to go into my Twitter and my account was changed. Oh so I was able to reset my password, it still came to my email. I didn't click on. I never got anything and clicked Later when I cleaned my inbox, I found the password reset emails. But I was able to reset my password. But when they got in, they put on TWOFA. So I have my password, I have my email, but now TWFA is on my account and I don't know how to get a reset.
Speaker 2: Dang, Well, I can't give you this guy's name. I can't promise you didn't hack me, and they give it back to me. He might have, but I got my Twitter back and it didn't cost that much money, So I guess I'm good. I know, so annoying, Yeah, but you know the big, big tech like that. Because I'll tell you one for me that I still have been able to be solved. My Instagram and my Facebook got disconnected somehow my personal fan pages, you know. Yeah, and because they have the thing where you can post one place and they'll go to both. I paid three different people to try to reconnect him. They like professionals, they couldn't do it. So it's like sometimes these big tech platforms, it's almost like they just get too big and they can't actually like help people. It's so weird. And especially like you said, you know, uh KYC blue Check, you'd think if anyone that they would help, it would probably be you. But they're just incompetent too big. I don't know what the right term is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but now I'm pissed because I'm paying monthly and I haven't used my service for a month and I can't log into account and cancel it. And I know a bunch of bitcoiners got hacked as well. Pete Rizzo, did Preston pitched? Did I mean strike?
Speaker 2: Is he still hacked?
Speaker 1: No? He got he got his account backed. I saw just a metallic beuter and just had his Twitter account hacked. Really, so some people think that it's like maybe insiders at Twitter doing it something, maybe going after prominent people. I don't know, Yeah, that'd be weird. Yeah, whatever it is, it sucks. I covered a story earlier. We were talking we were talking earlier about the presidential race, and we obviously talked about RFKM vivic. But I did a story earlier. The Pentagon did a study and they showed that we have a massive national security risk because of people with dementia in office having security clearances.
Speaker 2: That stop, that's not real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, it's real for sure. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they said, like Mitch McConnell, who had like his second I'm sure you saw that. Yeah, so he holds the highest level of security of anyone in Congress, and he's part of what's called the Group of Eight, which have the most eightfluential, most you know, influential, highest ranking people. And so they put up those reports saying that, saying that, you know, it's just a security risk. Like Diane Feinstein, I she didn't even know where she's at, Like, who knows what secret she's like rambling, Like, what's your thoughts on these occagenarians running our country?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I definitely think well, you know, it's even I don't know Saturday, I tweeted this morning. Sometimes finding you never know what tweets are going to catch on which ones don't. These ones did not. But it's like, these people claim to be in public service, but they're just getting wealthy off peddling powers. What they're doing, right, They look at Nancy policies, what Nancy Pelosi's wealth or Elizabeth Warren's wealth, and they're making two thousand dollars a year, but they're worth many, many, many millions. You know, it's so ridiculous, hundreds of millions. Yes, and yeah, I mean Americans don't have any faith in Congress. And the fact that I mean this is probably the most highlighted fact, is that these people are literally not competent. Like you wouldn't trust them to go to the store and get you a bunch of items, Like you wouldn't trust them to you wouldn't trust Mitch mccallaugh to do anything like Mitch mccallall hey, uh, watch my kids. You ain't gonna trust him. He might just fall asleep or forget what he's doing, or you don't know, Like they can't do the most basic of tasks, and yet we want them to govern the world or the United States. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: What I don't understand when I talked about earlier is like I don't care what side of the isl I mean I do, like in regard to this conversation, Like I don't really care. I just don't understand how anybody with a rational brain could be okay with Mitch McConnell or Biden or Feinstein. Like, how does anybody vote for that? Or do they? I mean, are they just like they don't care, They'd rather just put a name in a seat.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be they just kind of like feel obligated to check the box. And you know, in certain certain municipalities or areas, it's like so strong Democrats or so strong Republican that there's gonna choose whoever is there. And then obviously these people probably have powerful people behind them because they say, hey, I want this thing to happen, and here's how you're gonna make it happen, and then boom right, something to that effect. But yes, it's gross. They should have to prove their competence to occupy the offices. I don't want to say an age limit because there are some super old people who taking really good care of themselves and who are really sharp. So age limit's not fair, but some type a competency test would be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Trump appears would be very sharp. I saw a video of the other day, like with the golf ball, like we threw up the golf balls club and I caught it like that was pretty good. But I saw and when I was covering the story earlier, it's like the average age of a fortune five hundred CEO is fifty seven. Yeah, I saw that, Like, no, no, no, they're not they're not. They're not hiring these old people, and so it's like at some point you have to kind of retire. I just think, like, is it is it symbolic of where our country is? Like to see a president like Biden in office? Is it almost like I mean, if they could put anybody they want there, why him? And is it like almost like symbolic like of like the nation just aging and breaking down?
Speaker 2: So to speak? Yeah? I uh yeah, I think there could definitely be the case. Hey, you want to laugh? I started to take his totally off topic. You want to laugh, go watch Shane Gillis he just put a comedy special. But one of the funniest parts for me is and I'll just I'll say it a little bit, but he's like, yeah, we got a President Biden. You know when he shuts off, he turns into a room. Ba he starts why he starts wandering on the stage. It's like, it's like the funniest clip. You got to go check it out.
Speaker 1: Uh I have is that. I think I saw someone talking about that. It's like on Netflix they're gonna, yeah, they take it down or something like that. It's so true a room but I like that. Yeah. I remember like he holds his hands out like this, and then someone made like the memes of him like taking off with like a jet pack or like oh yeah, riding like a mule or something like that. The jokes sort of right themselves, so funny. Yeah, well hey that's uh that kind of wraps it up for us.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: So good to sit down and talk with you on this stuff. Uh, maybe we'll have another show. We'll talk about the sovereign individual. I think that'd be great. Let let's let know people where they can follow. You got a podcast, right.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, well a podcast about wrestling. Uh so if you're in wrestling. It's sounds full of wrestling, but I'm sure if you're in wrestling, you probably know about it already. I do some segments with Dan Cormier on his YouTube channel. I tweet a bunch. I'm on Instagram. I don't really like Instagram that much. I post, you know, once in a while on there, and uh, I'll be you know what. Actually, I just committed to go to a Pacific Bitcoin which is like a month uh in California. That should be fun. Looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll definitely see you there. I'm going to speak at bitcoin at pack Pack Bitcoin, and then I'm going out to the Bitcoin Amsterdam. I'm excited about that would be fun if you just tune in. You listening to the Mark More Show sitting down with Ben Askron, Olympian MMA champion and a avid reader and a bitcoiner. Uh and freshly got his Twitter account back, so go follow up on Twitter. That's what got Thanks so much for listening. Until next time