Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboys blowing out of the backfield, exploding down the sideline. This is Hanging with the Boys, presented by wing Stuff Where Flavor gets its Wings. Now your hosts Nate Newton, Kirk Daniels, Jesse Holly, and Shannon.
Speaker 2: Gross Thursday post Super Bowl show You're looking live at Tostitos Championship Plaza outside Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 3: Where this is a lie.
Speaker 4: It says it's thirty eight degrees and it feels like thirty. It feels more like fifteen out there.
Speaker 3: The highest forty two. I don't believe it. The low is twenty one.
Speaker 5: He is shining. That is Nate. This is Kurt in the Back, Keiflan's Life and Local Legs, Our Girl, Jazz, I Am Salt, and Pepper Poppy. Together we make Hanging with the Boys the sports talk equivalent of Browe people.
Speaker 4: When we speak, brought to each and every day by Wingstop where Favorite gets its wi Nate, you got your wish.
Speaker 3: You're the only Cowboy fan in the world that wanted the Eagles to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Yes you did.
Speaker 4: Y'all are ridiculous. Y'all are should turn in your cowboy fandom card.
Speaker 6: Nope, it's the NFC. It does not matter.
Speaker 3: It is Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 7: I ride in the NFC. You know I ride NFC. I don't change that. Certain things that stayed with SEC football, NFC, Boston Celtics, Braves. When I used to can tell you who the players were, it was yeah, that's about it.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 6: No hockey for me, No soccer, tennis, No.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been a hockey game?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, old great sport to watch it live, not on TV.
Speaker 3: What did the game tell you? Guys?
Speaker 4: I think we could all see them winning, but I don't think anyone saw them winning that way. And the defense just completely dominant, and I I think that shows you. You know, you guys talk about it on the show all the time. It all starts up front, right.
Speaker 3: Patrick Mahomes ain't Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 4: If he's got one point three seconds to throw the ball. And they're big, they're strong, they're nasty, they're young, and they're gonna be around for a while.
Speaker 3: All so what did the game tell you?
Speaker 6: Kurt? Start with you?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 9: Engles are tough, and they look like gonna be tough for a while, and that gap between us and them seems whiter than it has in a while.
Speaker 10: Unfortunately.
Speaker 5: Yes, Jesse Whutang had a song. Cash rules everything around me. Cream, get the money you want, good players go buy it.
Speaker 3: At some point that does that catch up to them?
Speaker 5: Yeah, at twenty twenty nine. Twenty twenty nine is when they're supposed to meet their doom.
Speaker 3: And then you're just you're a fe're the Eagles.
Speaker 4: You're just hoping by then the money gets bigger and bigger, which you will keep pushing it out, pushing it.
Speaker 5: That's exactly there, and that's exactly their mentality.
Speaker 3: And if it ever catches you, we just reset the reset. But we got two or three along the way, right.
Speaker 5: That's that's their thought process. It's it's twenty twenty nine is the year they're supposed to meet well, their cap, Hell, they're supposed to meet right, They're supposed to meet their maker then. But by that time the salary cap would have went up multiple times. And so now when you get to that point in twenty twenty nine, those players that are worth keeping, guys like probably Devonte Smith, Jalen Carter, who's actually still his rookie deal, right, so he's I mean, he'll he'll get a new deal at that time. If Jalen Hurst is still you still believe that's gonna be your quarterback, so on and so forth. Cool, then whatever money I owe him in twenty twenty nine, I put that back in the pot, and I scraplated out for five more years and I pushed this thing on down the line to twenty thirty four. And that's what they do. Just keep doing that until eventually they'll go, Okay, we don't have enough players worth pushing money down the line for anymore. So that's when we that's when we take the hit and we suck. We get a high draft pick. But look at these but we got we got you, we got you.
Speaker 3: And you've got it. I mean, that's it.
Speaker 4: That's becoming in this league of talent, right to realize because I think around here, the way I remember it is, they used to do that here.
Speaker 3: They used to go after the big free agents.
Speaker 4: They used to go after the big dogs, the shining new and they used to load up and it didn't work out. And now it feels like they're trying to stay ahead of the cap and stay under and stay right around the cap and not sell your soul for the future now. But I don't think in this the way this NFL works, you have to you have to. It's about timing right, and you have to time it perfect and go we're going in now because we got a good core, and here's the guys we can put around that, and we can win now and then we'll pay the price later. But because if you don't win now and you pay the price later, you wreck your franchise.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: Well, part of it is is when it comes to contract, how like the Cowboys wait till players like they're about to do one a little bit with Michael Parsons. They did the same thing with Cde Lamb. They did the same thing with Dak Prescott, these major these major players on your team. The smart way to do it is if I know that I'm going to keep Kurt on my football team for the foreseeable future, and he's two years before he gets a new deal, but he's playing really well, doesn't have any injuries, I extend him now. I extend him now, right, so I push that money out further. What I don't want to do is I don't want to wait till Kurt gets to the very end of his contract. And now I'm paying either setting the setting the market price or I'm paying above like I'm paying market price or setting the new market because he's at the end of his deal, and now I'm in. I'm caught in to buying because Kurt's a really good player. And now he's saying, hey, bro, either either you're gonna pay me or I'm going somewhere else. And now I know I can't lose him. So now I'm forced to fork over that money where I could have did it two years ago and maybe not paid the markets the setting the market price on them, got him for a deal, and then now paid a lot of the money up front and the bonuses and stuff like that, and your your your your salary cap hit would be softer upfront. A couple million dollars here, a couple million dollars there. Talk about the Philadelphia Eagles like Jalen Hurts, I think is worth twenty one million dollars against the cap this year. I think the next person in line is seventeen million with aj Brown right, but he's a fifty million dollar player. He's only worth twenty one million dollars against the cap. So that's how you got to move that money around and do stuff like that.
Speaker 7: And to add on to what Jesse said, which is so true, but understand me, this is what the Eagles, the Rams and other stealers teams that the Niners are the Niners that are winning.
Speaker 6: The one thing they don't.
Speaker 7: Fear is you got two more years left from your contract. You're thirty years old by Cooper cup Bye.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You gotta be able to see a player and say, you know what we've gotten, what we could got, we don't need these last two years. We're gonna trade him as somebody out there that would give us a second or third or fourth and take this contract that we wait too late, like Jesse said, to sign a player all of a sudden, we eating up extra four million dollars because we didn't sign them.
Speaker 6: A year earlier.
Speaker 7: So we eating up an extra forty five million dollars. Now that's on the back end of that contract. So how do the Rams get back in this so quick? You gotta remember they traded a bunch of players a year or so ago. They traded them, they let them go hey, all right, see you later. We wait right up until twenty six players are free now, and people saying, well, you got to de sign out of those twenty six, which four you won't because we waited late to pay CD, we waited late to pay Dak.
Speaker 6: Now we're gonna wait late to pay number eleven.
Speaker 7: And so now we wound up with two guys and we sitting up there saying, oh, you know where we need to be at the end of the year. I know where you're gonna be at the end of the year. It ain't gonna be with the Eagles. It ain't gonna be with the Eagles.
Speaker 6: I promise you had.
Speaker 5: Like you're you're the Cowboys are sitting in this position right now where they're looking at do they want to sign Osa and not? Or can they sign Osa and not? Because I got to sign Michael first, and because I don't want to get into like so now, what's gonna end up happening? Here is a guy like O some may or may not be here next year, and then he'll go to Detroit, or he'll go to Washington, or he'll go to Baltimore, he'll go to Philadelphia. Ain't go be a player and they'll pay him and they'll go, he can help us right now and for the next couple of years, and we'll pay him and then we'll we'll we'll be in a position to win. And that's like, that's let's sneed. I said this on my show earlier. Let's need who is the the the general manager for the Rams. His idea was f these picks like that was his that literally had T shirts made. So I forget the picks. I'll trade the picks to go get better player, veteran players that I can win with today, Howie Roseman said, after money, I'm going to go buy all the players that I need. I'm a draft. Well, because they wasn't drafted. You know, quan Yon Minchell was the starting corner and Cooper Dejean who was starting corner, and they drafted you know, Jordan Davis and stuff like that. But but that was in their reason. After they won it, they said, we're rebuilding. We come back a couple of years later. But they went and got Saquon right, They went and well aj Brown, they went and got you know, all the players that they needed to go get to fortify their team. And they said, will worry about the money later. Now, what it really comes down to is Jeffrey Lowerd who was the owner. You know, when you do when you do it the way that they do it, You're gonna spend more money up front, right, And so that like that part is what comes you got that comes out of the donor's pockets, you see what I'm saying. And then and then now you pay for it on the back end. But the upfront money got to come out first, and then you pay for it on the back end. And they're just like, you know, forget forget profit for us, because we're gonna get the profit when we win this win. I'm gonna trye more for tickets next year, Parker is gonna go up. I'm gonna have more a you know what I'm saying. I'm gonna have more ads. I'm gonna sell more Jerseys d da da dah dah. And And part of the reason when you think about all of that, why the Joneses are like, I don't have to go spend like that because the end result is I already am number one of those other areas. I'm already in attendance, I'm already in merch I'm already in concessions. I'm already in viewership. So they're saying they have to go and spend like that because like that's the that's the one in to win part.
Speaker 4: And the tricky part is if you as an owner, if you do go all in and you spend it like say the Eagles, and you don't win it, then that's a negative, negative because you're way upside down.
Speaker 5: Now that's Cleveland, right, that's Denver. Right. Dever had to eat a bunch of money with Russell Wilson, eighty million dollars with Russell Wilson, Cleveland. They went out and they spent two U thirty million dollars. Garon teed for Deshaun Watson and other players of Miles Garrett. They tried to you know, and now that didn't work out. The Saints were in some of those situations where they tried to go and keep pushing it forward. Sometimes you got to like you know, like in the in the in the poker game, sometimes you got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. And sometimes teams, you know, now that is the risk. The risk is if it doesn't work out.
Speaker 9: But this is my question it hasn't worked out for the Cowboys and other occasions are they letting passed his?
Speaker 5: But what other occasions though, well.
Speaker 10: I mean you go back.
Speaker 9: They got into camp Hill in the early two thousands after the championships, which is probably worth it, but they got into camp Hill. They the last huge free agent was Brandon Carr, who was good, he was solid, but he wasn't a game.
Speaker 5: Sh They screwed. They screwed branded car like position.
Speaker 9: They they and then you know, they signed Zeke two years earlier, one of the worst deals ever that no running backs made as much per year since then. I think he made fifteen million. Nobody's been signed higher than like ten or twelve or something like that. You know, they paid Jayleen Smith early, they paid Terrence Steele early. I mean, all these past mistakes keeping them from taking risks now.
Speaker 5: Possibly, But like you, you shot yourself in the foot, right, you gave you dangled money in front of Jalen Smith, who you know and we know and I say you not you, but I'm saying you know that man had one leg. You knew that, But you tried to play a game with Zeke because he was holding out and you were talking about the pie. Whoever come get the pie? And Jala jumped on it. Kudos to him and his team, but you knew Jalen wasn't worth that.
Speaker 9: Now you've got you tied up in a cornerback and Diggs's coming off two knee injuries a quarterback and the Scott's got a pair of leg injuries.
Speaker 10: I mean it.
Speaker 6: You can't when when a guy's injured.
Speaker 7: Most teams, when a guy's injured, they have a board and it goes red. We will when we figure out who he is and what he is after this injury, then we'll talk to him.
Speaker 6: Most you got to saying what's the lineback of the ooh?
Speaker 5: How lady vandor usher?
Speaker 6: He was on sixty percent of the boards in the league on red don't.
Speaker 3: Touch during the draft.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the same board pops up on injuries.
Speaker 7: You go to the red when you have a major injury, like right now, Number thirteen, our best, our second best defensive player should be in the red. It shouldn't be no contract talks. You should learn from that. We haven't learned. We haven't learned that. Hey, you know what, Nate, you're thirty two. You ain't that cat who you was three years ago.
Speaker 9: See you, we're at the same time that are they gunshy to go out in free agency because they haven't really hit on anybody.
Speaker 5: But see, I don't you can I don't know if they're I mean, yes, there are gunshot because they're not doing it. But you also can't become fixated and fascinated on your own guys. And that's what that's what the cowboys have been known to do. Our guys were gonna because all the guys that you name are their guys, like they weren't. They didn't bring us some other guys who were. Trayvonhaen was their guy, Zeke was their guy. Uh the right tackle, steal their guy, Gallup their guy. So they get fixated on this whole thing of paying our guys. All these guys you paid Steel after coming off of a c hell. Hell, we can all be we can go all the way back. Gallup you paid him, You paid Barry Church. He came up of a c l My boy, Barry, you know, I love you, boy.
Speaker 4: But you know, I mean, it's almost like they signed the one they like to gamble, right, we can sign this guy and we think.
Speaker 3: He's gonna get through this, we think he's gonna.
Speaker 4: Work out, and then they let the ones that you have here that you know, you know, Dorren's armstrong, Tyler Beatdish, you know, Tyron Smith to me is the one that they let go that you should have let go, right, Like they let him go a year or two maybe too late, right, love Tyron, but right, but the results are you know that hot towel quit working, right, So I mean it's you know, I love you, Tyron, but you know it's almost like the guys you.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't gamble on.
Speaker 4: You should say, let's lock him up because Os is in a great spot. Os is like, thank you for letting this go this far because I bought out this year. They're mentioning my name on every national broadcast and I'm getting paid whether it's here.
Speaker 5: I think he's number eleventh prospect. Yeah, like like free age and prospect this offseason, he's just like overall, he's.
Speaker 4: Gonna get like a Robert Quinn type deal where he come here, leaves here and goes, thank you, thank you so much for the star.
Speaker 5: How do we got? Like he got people and stuff, Like there's a lot of places that he can do. It makes it make Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I mean it's it's almost like they they like the the Hey, if this guy works out, we're gonna be geniuses.
Speaker 5: And see, OLSA could have been a guy that you did two years ago. Yeah, who'll have taken whatever you get way, whatever you get them, you could have get you know what I'm saying, like, and you could have came in way like oh boom, I'm on it, let's go. But you wait till he gets here and then he balls out. Now you're like, damn, can't franchise him. It's like thirty was like thirty four million of franchise them some.
Speaker 4: Crazy And you know what, It's so easy for us to sit here and talk about all this.
Speaker 6: It's so easy, but some things are so right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, every guy that he named is a guy that was injured or coming off major injury. I have been injured most of their careers. It's no where you signed those guys. I love you to death, but we gonna find out who you are after this injury.
Speaker 4: All right, I gotta I have a we gotta take a break. I have a question for it, something Nick and I talked about the other day. And then we will also see where the Vegas odds makers have the Cowboys after the Super Bowl. You might or might not be shocked when we come back on Hanging with the Boys.
Speaker 8: How's wing Stop sound crispy, juicy, classic wings, sauceted, tossed and those eleven soul satisfying flavors paired with hand cut season fries, housemade honey, mustard, blue cheese.
Speaker 5: Or signature Wingstop wretch.
Speaker 8: I think you've heard enough, Get your flavor delivered at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 7: This is Nate Newton from Hanging with the Boys and Wingstop is here to bring the flavor to game date as the official Wings of.
Speaker 6: The Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: Order now by download the wings Stop Out or ordering online at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 12: Hey, Cowboys, twenty twenty four football season is here and seed gig is here to help you experience.
Speaker 5: All the action.
Speaker 12: Seed Gig makes it easy to find tickets so you can be a part of all the touchdown celebrations this season. Whether you're buying or selling tickets at Cowboys football games or to any other live event, seed gig is the.
Speaker 6: Place to do it.
Speaker 8: Seat Gig is the official.
Speaker 12: Primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys. The most disruptive idea in ticketing, a ticket that works. Expect the expected seed geek.
Speaker 13: Cow about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets. As we cheer for the stars on the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate. Thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets, they sure make game day special. And for every purchase of the new Tyson Cowboys Nuggets this holiday season, Tyson Foods will donate one dollar to the Salvation Army up to one hundred thousand dollars. As you enjoy your stars on and off the plate. Remember, tailgates and game day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 12: We got big personalities. We got big hair, big bell buckles. We got fans all across as big state and enemies and every other one. We even got a big star on the fifty yard line. Smear enough knows football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks. Home we're away, we rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because most of all, we got big love for them boys.
Speaker 3: Smear enof we do game days.
Speaker 10: Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 1: Back to Hanging with the Bulls.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the second segment, Hanging with the Boys, brought you each and every day by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Thank you blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 4: Kurt Yeah, swinging bye at your local seven eleven and grab your favorite item from the roller Girl. Then enjoy a big gulf for just eighty nine cents ballid at participating stores. Fill up and get game day ready, go to pump eight. All right, scenario for you guys, since we all saw the game right and I think we could all agree that defense won that game?
Speaker 3: Do you do you?
Speaker 4: This is something Nick brought up when I was talking to him last week.
Speaker 3: This week. When was the game Sundays past Sunday? Yes, so it was this week. I guess.
Speaker 4: You know the mentality of like usually going all in or trading for players or acquiring players, usually your mind goes to the offensive side of the ball, right, like you got to have people to score points. Does this maybe change your mentality and go all right, look you got Micah, go get another badass that where the whoever you're playing cannot throw the ball because they have two seconds or less to throw it. And you triple down and you go, I'm gonna go get someone like a guy right now that's on another team that wants to be released and go somewhere else.
Speaker 5: The guy from Arlington Martin.
Speaker 4: That guy's the guy that looks like a Greek god. You know, do you just double down and say, you know what, I am going all in and I'm going to make whoever we play one dimensional where they have to run the ball because you're not going to have time to throw it instead of trying to, you know, go get key guys at key positions and trying to load up on offense because you got a sixty million dollar a year quarterback and you're trying to cater to him. Do you do you flip that mentality and go look what the Eagles did you know they be? They built it through the draft. But do you go get a win now guy that you can put opposite of Micah and say, all right, this is what we're doing for the next three years.
Speaker 6: You don't have anybody in the middle.
Speaker 3: And the same problem.
Speaker 7: And I get and I got away from this year after year because I know y'all just got tired of me just hammering, hammering, hammer and hammering about the middle. You don't have anybody in the middle offensively, and you don't have anybody in the middle defense.
Speaker 4: What if you go, Okay, we're selling our future for the one thing that we're kept them far out.
Speaker 6: So you think we don't have.
Speaker 7: Enough player for per player in our own division to fight right now? We we We can't match up man to man with the Redskin with do Commanders, and we definitely right now can't line up man to man. I'm talking in a playoff situation. I ain't some about during the year when everybody ain't hyped. I'm talking when everybody hyped and giving their best shot. We can't line up right now man to man with these guys.
Speaker 6: So you can't sell out for this guy.
Speaker 7: This guy, what is a twenty to thirty million dollar player, That'll be two of them on defense.
Speaker 6: You can't afford it. You just can't afford it.
Speaker 7: And you too far out. Marzie hasn't shown you enough. You may lose osa. So who do you got in the middle? So if they the garden centers doing their job.
Speaker 5: Justin Rogers, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to take a shot.
Speaker 10: Watching that game.
Speaker 3: You can apologize, but you.
Speaker 7: Meant to I'm just saying you is I'm wrong here? You got how much does this guy make.
Speaker 6: A year in Cleveland?
Speaker 10: Yeah it's a bunch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well maybe not him, But like, do you load up?
Speaker 10: To me?
Speaker 9: That the biggest you know, obviously we all saw the difference between the Cowboys and and Eagles in that game. To me, the biggest difference was on the minor of scrimmage. I mean that was pretty obvious.
Speaker 10: I think. I mean, they have to do something on the defensive line.
Speaker 3: Well, Nate's been saying that for yeah, five years now.
Speaker 6: They just stop.
Speaker 10: They haven't.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean they've just they've got to do something. I don't know, going all in on just defense, but you really both I guess that was any question marks on the offensive line too.
Speaker 4: That was my question is do you since you do have Micah? You know, you had Dak and you tried to load up on offense and that didn't work. Now you're gonna have to pay Micah, do you load up and flip it and then put all your chips in on the defensive side and just win with an okay offense.
Speaker 7: They just gave it, got five year contract. It has to show up in two years. Will McLay has to show up, and I'm praying he picked the players, not a group. Not Hey, Jesse, what you think. I know you play defense, but I'm overhill on offense.
Speaker 6: What you think?
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no, Jesse, you had a defense, you had an offense. I'm gonna do the special teams and we're gonna get our players from the scouts. Now I'm not saying they don't do that. I don't know, but that committee thing does not work. Howie Roseman, has I got his name correct?
Speaker 5: That's a gym.
Speaker 7: Yes, for the Philadelphiagas, it's all on him, the headman, and for the Rams, it's all on him. It ain't. You don't go to nobody else. You know, when we lose. We got Missus Jones, we got missus Stephen Jones, we got the head coach, and we got Willed. So we got like the fan base talking about eight guys, it should fall on one guy. It should fall on one guy. You tell me what you like, what you want, and I'm going to get those players and I'm gonna present these players to you, and I'm gonna tell you, hey, man, I know you like that dude, but the train them. When I talked to him at Colorado said, this, dude is an accident waiting to happen.
Speaker 6: You ain't not want to do that. No, I can talk to him. I got him. And then two days later, Oh man, what were Donne dead here? He ain't you just badly drafting?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: I'm just that's just my feeling.
Speaker 3: So the odds maker, which part?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 4: I I don't know what you do at this point, because like Nate said, you got all your money tied up in your quarterback right in.
Speaker 7: A wide receiver and find to be a We got eagles, got seven players gonna equal what our three studs gonna make over the next to twenty nine to when just said when the explosion is supposed out in Philly. But I promise you this how we do, He's gonna be gonna cut half of them. Do is a release a trade at most of it?
Speaker 6: I promise you.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think your offensive line you need some work there. But I think if you focus on the run game but you don't really have a running back right now, If you do the blueprints you had after Dak went down, your offense can score your enough points to win games. I think you have to invest in your defensive line. You gotta put get some pieces in the offensive line, invest in the defensive line.
Speaker 3: It all starts up front on both sides.
Speaker 4: You got a serviceable offense, you gotta plug in the offensive line. You gotta fix the defense, and it starts in the middle. I think that's what you gotta do. You know, skill positions are great, but if you got six seconds to throw, Kurt, you could you could find somebody openly.
Speaker 3: So that's just my opinion.
Speaker 5: You know, money, it's and we talk about like I get it. In the division. We talk about the Eagles and Phil in the Washington a lot. But that's just to get into the player, like, yeah, we'll be back, the Vikings will be back healthy for nine ers, the Niners, the Rams. I mean like there are teams. I mean, like if you if you count Philly and in Washington, that's six teams that you're looking up out and you're saying today today, we aren't better than them. We aren't better than the Vikings. We aren't better than the Lions, we aren't better than the Niners.
Speaker 3: We aren't better well Vegas. Vegas has the Cowboys fourth in the division.
Speaker 6: According to Kurt, they have them.
Speaker 3: They have the Giants. They have the Giants above the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Vegas, You're the worst. You're not getting my money on that one.
Speaker 10: They have the Cowboys the fourth, not getting third.
Speaker 5: If you just said third, see third day, you're not getting nobody money. But when you put fourth and people gonna start putting is it.
Speaker 3: Fourth in the division or the conference?
Speaker 9: Fourth, worst odds or biggest odds or whatever to make the super Bowl in the conference, the only teams belong are the Giants, Saints, and Pants.
Speaker 3: Okay, they're about the Giants the division for the conference. I misread that. Yeah, time about right, Saints Giants and who else?
Speaker 9: Saints, Giants, Panthers. So in their eyes, in the betting world's eyes, the Cowboys are ranked twelfth in the conference as of right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's take a lot. We're gonna we're gonna end on a positive note. Let's take a break. It's just hard to end on the positive note. When the Eagles win the super Bowl and.
Speaker 6: And they're young, four guys break the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: Yeah, or defensive lineman, they wrecked the Super Bowl and now they're their defensive corder and said, I not want to have the recipe for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: I got the recipe.
Speaker 3: They should have There should have been a four way tie for the m v P.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I wondered that if they would like to. I know what Jayalen's saying, like Randy White and Harvey Martin.
Speaker 6: I know what Jayleen Carter is saying this. I won this with the Rams. I'm the reason we are in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: All let's take our last break when we come back.
Speaker 6: Redcarnation of Flesher Cocks.
Speaker 3: The final segment of Hanging with the Boys me right back.
Speaker 8: House, Wingstop Sound, Crispy Juicy Classic Wings sauceted tossed that those eleven soul satisfying flavors paired with hand cut season fries, housemade honey, mustard, blue cheese.
Speaker 5: Or signature Wingstop wretch. I think you've heard enough. Get your flavor delivered at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 7: This is Nate Newton from Hanging with the Boys and Wingstop is here to bring the flavor to game day as the official Wings.
Speaker 6: Of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: Order now by download the wings Stop out order online at Wingstop dot com.
Speaker 14: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 5: Prescott kits it slide for the first.
Speaker 14: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 14: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 13: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh flavorful, ready to serve guacamolea made with real hals avocado, will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Your hero's wide range of mouthwatering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section.
Speaker 12: Grab some today, Hey Cowboys fans. A twenty twenty four football season is here, and seat Gig is here to help you experience all the action. Seat geg makes it easy to find tickets so you can be a part of all the touchdown celebrations this season. Whether you're buying or selling tickets at Cowboys football games or to any other live event, seat gig is the place to do it. Seat Gig is the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys. The most disruptive idea ticketing, a ticket that works, expect the expected seed Geek.
Speaker 3: Back to Hang in with the Bulls.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the final segment of Hanging with the Boys, brought to you each and every show by Jigsaw, the proud dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Kurt Daniels, Jesse Holly, Nate Newton, I'm Shannon Gross. We're talking about Cowboys, Thank you, and Eagles. Did anyone have a better Has anyone ever had a better.
Speaker 3: Twenty second birthday than Cooper dejene.
Speaker 4: Twenty two won the Super Bowl. First career interception ever.
Speaker 3: Was in the Super Bowl. Now he's probably like, this is easy.
Speaker 4: We will be here every year from now on, at least two or three more times. I'll have a chance to win this.
Speaker 3: You know how hard it is.
Speaker 6: Listens to twenty nine.
Speaker 4: That was es.
Speaker 3: What a start to a career for that kid. Huh oh man. All right, Kurt, we got about eight minutes left. What do you want to talk about.
Speaker 4: We want to talk about Patrick Mackles, Patrick Mahone's dad and John Rocker getting into it on Bourbon Street and then Barstool immediately signing him to Rough and Rowdy. No, did you know that? Apparently they've had beef since they're playing days in uh Major League Baseball, And I don't know, but Patrick Mahone's dad was outside of a bar and John Rocker comes running out and they almost literally fight in the street.
Speaker 3: Somebody got in between them, and then Dave.
Speaker 4: Portnoy on Barstool and now it's like two days later they've signed them to their Rough and Rowdy series fights and they got to.
Speaker 5: I don't know if Pat you want to do that?
Speaker 3: And he's not right. He's got that, he's got that anger at him like.
Speaker 7: One is uh curveball. He's right here trying to throw something different. Cost of brave man get out of it.
Speaker 6: Beat him up.
Speaker 3: So go ahead, Kurt, Sorry I cut you off.
Speaker 10: Why wasn't.
Speaker 6: I got it, got it?
Speaker 10: Okay, let me ask you this since Super Bowl related.
Speaker 9: I think for the longest time, we've all thought that Dak was still a better quarterback than Jail and her kind of kind of the same styles in some ways. But I don't know now if it's a healthy Dak my camera healthy, still better than Jalen Hurst pass him.
Speaker 5: No, if we just went player for player, give me Dak.
Speaker 10: Me that surprised me.
Speaker 6: I thought you'd have a different Dak is better thrower Jalen.
Speaker 5: We all we said it earlier. Jalen had the better team. He had the better team. He just didn't have His only goal was don't mess this up. Don't mess it up, don't fumble interception, don't just manage this. When they give you the opportunity to make the throw, You're you're in the NFL starting quarterback. If they're gonna go man the man and Spig will try to have some crazy blitz find number eleven, find advantae Smith and just throw it. Just throw gobolls and they'll catch them. Just don't mess this up.
Speaker 3: So I don't.
Speaker 5: I think if you put Dak in that situation, they win that Super Bowl. You put Dak on that team they won the Super Bowl. MRAVIVI jefse on this because it'll make you think because he won. He won the biggest, the biggest show on Earth. But if you know, before going into that game, I said, you.
Speaker 6: Know, man, it hurts. No. I kept saying the mind, it hurts. No mess this up. I'm telling about it. It's gonna come down to hurts.
Speaker 7: Because even when we talked about the second game during the regular season, when we talked about it, we had four players.
Speaker 6: Before we even mentioned Jaylor, and then we just say, and Jalen hurts.
Speaker 7: So even though what all this kid has went through and he's came through it in flying colors, he did not mess this game up. And it's okay to bild bus drivel. It can get you an m v P and they can make you one of the top guys in the league.
Speaker 9: What you think, Kurt, Well, now that you guys have put it that way, they came around, Hey, it's okay to have your own opinion.
Speaker 4: Even though these guys played football. You can have a conflicting opinion. It's totally fine. That's what they are their opinion. They're like they're like buttholes. Everybody's got one. Nobody wants to listen to it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if you, But how about the dual threat factor. I mean you're not getting that from Dak anymore. Where Jalen had seventy two yard dressing in that But again is that's still part of the team around.
Speaker 5: But that was again that factor. It was like we're gonna load up, We're gonna you're not gonna run Saquon, and so we're gonna load the box. I'm not gonna run Saquon. And then Jalen Hurst uses athleticism. Now, if you now here's where Dak, Here's where the knot will begin to come against Dak. If you're not a mobile quarterback in today's football, it ain't You're done. Your team won't have success. You won't have success. And I'm not saying you got to be Michael Vicker Jayden Daniels. I'm saying that you have to be a mobile quarterback. You have to be willing to be able to move around in the pocket and then when everything fails, tuck it and go like you have to be able to do that. Like the athleticism is there. Dak thirty two years old, he's already had the ankle, he's now had the major. So he had the major surgery in the ankle, major surgery on the hamstring. I don't know where he's going to be at athletically when it comes to what mentally and physically going forward. And if we're talking about in the trenches and you don't have an offensive line that's going to be able to give you the time to be able to stand in the pocket and deliver, then you're looking you're looking at a very very difficult situation because you're gonna you're gonna face teams now who have who have built their programs defensively to go and stop mobile quarterbacks. So if you're not able to move and get away from defenders the Jordan Davis's of the world, the Pains and and and and in Washington, the the A. Hutchinson's when they come back and you know, all the people that you have to deal with in this in this division and conference, you're cooked.
Speaker 4: Let me let me let me back you up a little bit because because this is a question I have because I don't disagree with that, but you said, if you have to be a somewhat of a mobile quarterback in this league now, right, unless you're saying, unless you're somebody that's elite, like an elite.
Speaker 6: Mobile.
Speaker 3: But no, no, no, no, here's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: If Tom Brady and Peyton Manning played in this league right now, are you saying they wouldn't be able to win?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 10: Wow?
Speaker 3: Tom Brady just won a Super Bowl two years ago. Yeah, so the league changed that much since he won it? Really?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 9: Where does that say now for the Cowboys having a quarterback that's not going to sure doesn't look like he's going to give you that run threat.
Speaker 5: It doesn't have to be the run threat. It just has to be the willing gets seven when you need it, the willingness to get eight, the willingness to do it like that. That's like, that's the big thing. And let me just say that like they would struggle, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would struggle in today's football. The ball would have to come out extremely extremely quick.
Speaker 7: And the way and the way they beat you then is the way they'll beat you now because they beat you mentally. They beat you mentally, And so I'm mad to what Jesse saying. I agree that you're gonna have to be mobile, especially going forward, gonna have to be mobile. But unless you extremely intelligent with that football and in reading these coverages, I mean extremely intelligent, because they advantished that. These two guys you mentioned, when they walked to the line, they automatically look at the automatically started eliminating.
Speaker 5: Here, look at look at Peyton Manning went. Peyton Manning won his last Super Bowl. Yeah, well he was getting he was getting backpacked. Yeah, he was getting back Was that fitch was that defense was hold? Yeah, he was getting backpacked that last that last go around. And then Tom he put together a great squad. They put together a great squad in Tampa Bay and was like and yeah, yeah he was. Yeah, you know at that time he wasn't getting back Peyton Manning was nothinely getting backpacked, and Tom Brady he was getting the ball out out of his store.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, he said. There was an interview. I'm sure, I don't know if you guys saw it.
Speaker 4: I don't remember what show it was on, but he was talking about that last Super Bowl and he said, what I where I excelled at and my hit my superpower was I studied so much film before that Super Bowl. He's like, I had two weeks of film study where when guys walked to the line and they their body language is a certain way. I knew where they were going to be. He goes, And the advantage that I had I got five guys in a route. I know exactly where each one of them is going to be at a certain time. And if I look at a coverage and I know none of these guys are going to be open, I don't run the play. He's like, I check out or I call a time out. He's like, I don't, I don't go to the line, and he goes, I know, Y like, I know exactly where my guys are going to be, and I know who should be open, and if there's a coverage that I go, wait a minute, this this package and these routes aren't designed for that coverage.
Speaker 3: I don't run the play. He was like, that's what. That's where. So he even knew, like I don't have the armstrength to zip it in somewhere.
Speaker 6: He just mobilities, because that's brought it up.
Speaker 7: The mobility is what made him start talking about what what what what you're saying, Shannon, The bottom line is when you have elite intelligence. Mike Irving like said, above the neck intelligence when you got that right there and you got a nice arm and just uh just no parkt awareness. That's what we used to call it parket awareness. Now it is the word mobility because if you can't move out of the way of a Jaalen Carter are these other guys? Are the guy from Cleveland, You're gonna get smacked. You're gonna get what you called backpack. Tom Brady and Peyton were those type guys. I've heard them talk to Dion's boy about that same thing, and he was telling him a couple of years ago. Uh, the great guy who was on TV now, Tom Brady telling him his son. Yeah, yeah, I know it was Peyton. Excuse me, I'm going like you, it was Peyton, he said, when I walked to the line, son, I'm on and eliminated what routes can't work, And that goes to that's a bad play. Coaches called a bad play. Let me put them in a better position. And his receivers were smart. That's why Ocho did not last. He did not last with Tom Brady because he's like they played their first game and he.
Speaker 6: Came out of the game. Ain't called the past.
Speaker 7: I'm like, man, I see what I see. I see why y'all are so good. Yeah, you can't even run a simple route brou because they gave a different look.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 7: When you're on that level right there, that that yes, yes, well that's the level that Dock has to get you now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he has to be receiver this his career because he's never had the biggest harm. It's not never been his talent, Like his talent has never been there. I got this powerful arm. Now he has a throw his team throws one of the best throws in the league. Yes, he can throw that scene, but he has to now be on the elite level of intelligence. What I'm like to that point where Peyton and Tom are talking about being able to come to the line of scrimmage. And the thing that is full Dak Prescott in the past is when he doesn't have a solid running game and teams drop back and make him have to sift through coverage. That has been the achilles Heel for Dak Prescott. That the whole Vic Fangio blueprint is I'm gonna make you have to read through seven and eight guys in coverage. We ain't worried about sacking you. I'm just worried about now letting you believe that you saw something that ain't really there, and then when you throw it, gotcha. That's where he has to now go. He has to go now to where I am the most intelligent dude at the line of scrimmage. Because I don't have the mobility anymore. My offensive line may not be as great as it once was. And unless the cowboy decide to go and you know, bring in a high level number two receiver to go with Ceedee Lamb. I'm throwing to Cede Lamb and some maybies yea. So Dak gotta go, get to go Busters.
Speaker 6: We'll get dan Ackroyd, got all of gobc.
Speaker 3: Well Marlow's story. We got some work to do it well.
Speaker 7: We need to do the draft show. No no, no, no, no reason, because we know what we want to get. Office of devis allownement. So we just go get the draft show over.
Speaker 4: We only need about what ten first round picks. Shore all this up and get him on, get him on a budget, and they just maybe.
Speaker 6: The trade everybody and just go first round crazy.
Speaker 3: Just start over, start all rookie team.
Speaker 4: That's what it's going to be anyway, all right, Nay, good stuff, Jesse, good stuff, Kurk, good seeing you, Jazz, thanks for keeping us.
Speaker 3: On the air, Josh, thanks for keeping us company. Chris enjoy vacation.
Speaker 4: We will be back next Thursday, same time, same play.
Speaker 3: What are we going to talk about next week?
Speaker 5: Don't wear eagle shirt? Huh, we'll figure it out. Nothing's the Cowboys. Somebody will say something. We didn't get into the CD comment. We didn't get into the comment. The new coaches, we didn't get into the bike comments.
Speaker 6: What new coach? And he always been with us, I thought.
Speaker 3: Means he's a new head coach. Okay, the promotion and he hired a lot of new people, So he hired a lot of new coaches.
Speaker 7: Hope his new office line coach. Don't be scared to start the best player? Awesome Richards.
Speaker 3: All right, well, yeah, there will be something. There will be something.
Speaker 4: Do we make do the Cowboys take the thunder back from the MAVs and make headlines within the next week before the next show the same way?
Speaker 3: But will something happen here that.
Speaker 5: It always does?
Speaker 6: Now? You never thought that herschel Walker trade would be beat.
Speaker 3: All right, Tune in next week to see what that is. Don't hang with the boys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.