Speaker 1: What kind of a show you guys.
Speaker 2: Putting on here today?
Speaker 1: You're not interested in Armed now? No, look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 2: Hey, film spotters, we have another archive drop in your feed with our conversation, A long conversation, I think, a fun conversation about Spike Lee and Denzel Washington's fifth collaboration as director and actor, Higas to lois coming this Friday. We wanted to put our top five Denzel Washington performances back in your feed. This is from twenty seventeen. We had w Camal Bell on the show. Among the many things that he does, Josh, he had a CNN show Emmy nominated, The United Shades of America. He directed the Peabody Award winning documentary We Need to Talk About Cosby, And he had a podcast that ran a regularly between twenty fifteen and twenty nineteen that was appropriately for our purposes called Denzel Washington is the greatest actor of all time period.
Speaker 3: Great show, great guest, and looking back at my list, Adham, I'll just say my number one pick my own eyebrow raised, So I'll have to I'll have to give that a fresh listen and see if I convince myself. Sometimes sometimes that happens here on the show. So hopefully listeners will enjoy a fresh here or maybe listening to again our top five Denzel Washington performances. That's from May twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: And if you want access regular access whenever you want, you want to dip into the archive and here shows like this. That is a benefit of being a Film Spotting Family member and you can learn more at Filmspottingfamily dot com. Enjoy mister w Come Out Bell. Many of you may know Bell for his politically charged stand up. His new comedy album with semi Prominent Negro was just released this week. He's also the host of CNN's United Shades of America, which just got picked up for a second season, not to mention his live monthly radio show and the politically reactive podcast that he co hosts. But the reason he's with us today is because he thinks Denzel Washington is the greatest actor of all time period. And we know this because he co hosts another podcast called Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All time period. Come out, You are a very busy man. Thank you so much. For taking time for us today.
Speaker 1: Thank you. When you say it like that, I started to get sleepy.
Speaker 4: I bet it's a lot. How do you pull all that off?
Speaker 1: I mean I just sort of, you know.
Speaker 5: I think it's a fond option of after I had I had another TV show Totally Biased, where I was like there for like twelve and fifteen hours a day, and then when that was over, I was like, I don't want to ever have to commit that much time to one project ever again.
Speaker 1: I would like to do lots of things that take up a little bit of time.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good. Here, I got another one for you. Okay, can you add a fourth podcast? I want you to do something on the Forest Gump sequel, the one that you speculated about in one of your early episodes when that finally comes out. I just wanted to do episodes catalog in that movie. Can you do that for me?
Speaker 5: I think I'll have to get rid of another podcast where I add another podcast. I'm always like going, I could do a podcast about this, and I look at my wife.
Speaker 1: You can't exactly. I'm always coming with more ideas.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, so it's a but yeah, certainly I think there's more podcasts in my future. I just think I'm gonna have to suspend some while I would I share.
Speaker 4: Sure, that's a that's a sound move.
Speaker 2: So when we announced that we were going to do this look back at Denzel Washington's career tied in with a magnificent seven review, we heard from a lot of people on social media saying, you got to get come out bell On, you got to get someone from that show to talk about Denzel Washington. And the good part was we were way ahead of those den Zel It's we had already reached out to you. So we are very excited to have you on and that that term den Zelot. All of our best ideas come from our listeners. Did you coin that expression or is that a pre existing thing that you latched onto?
Speaker 6: No, it wasn't.
Speaker 5: It didn't exist. We sort of, I mean I came up with the title. I'll take credit for that. I'm a big fan of like crazy long titles, like my new We just announced that I have a book coming out that also is a crazy long title. I just think, as everybody else, every other podcast and title has gotten shorter. For example, like Cereal is number one podcast, but you have no idea. What that's about when you just say I'm listening to Cereal, so I just feel like I just want a podcast. It's very clear what it is, so that you know what you're getting into. But then it was actually me and Kevin Avery. We both we actually shared it's going to be so much more boring. We shared the same comedy manager for a while and she was the one who's like, you should call your people Denzel Itz, and we were like, thank you, comedy manager. This is the very rare time our comedy manager actually has a good idea. So no offense every comedy manager, but she, Carrie Smith, she was like that, and so that's where it came from. So but you know, since then, the Denzels have come up with lots of things that have been incorporated into the podcast.
Speaker 3: So the basic idea for the show when you set out at the very beginning, you know, just go through Denzel's films, talk about all these performances. Has that vision been pretty much a compl as you're approaching i think almost one hundred shows now or has it changed a little bit along the way, And basically, what does it feel.
Speaker 1: Like to do this now?
Speaker 3: This many episodes in I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I think it really started to shift really early on.
Speaker 5: The idea is that we were review every Denzel Washington movie and therefore approved that he was a greatest actor of all time period.
Speaker 1: But very early on.
Speaker 5: We started people reaching out to us because Denzel is an icon and also a very unique icon.
Speaker 1: Tom Hanks is also an icon, but.
Speaker 5: There's other white guys, like, you know, there's like, you know, if Tom Hanks walks into a room and the other side of the room, like George Clooney walks in the room, we got two guys, two icons in the room. But Denzel's sort of singular in that in that there's not another actor of his era that holds a similar space. I mean, Samuel Jackson's great, Morgan Freeman is great, but he's kind of the king, you know. Yeah, And so I think that, like very early on, we people started coming into that. But then it also very quickly turned into a thing that was just generally about diversity in Hollywood. You know, at the time we started doing the podcast, like Oscar so White kicked up again, right, we also are talking about like they're also Project green Light. The season of Project green Light had all that weirdness around diversity and Effie Brown going when Matt Damian was like, diversity is on camera, not behind the camera. And I was a big fan of that show, and Kevin's a big fan of Matt Damon, So we had to have a lot of debates about that, and I mean, I think one of the greatest things that the show has done is that, you know, we talked to Ryan Coogler. Now he's obviously he's the director of a Rocky Now we talked about his favorite denselboes, but it was a really in depth discussion about creed like and luckily, our fans have grown with that and there and they like that. So we find that we don't actually have to do an episode that's even fifty percent Denzel for our fans to keep up with it, because Denzel just sort of turns through a discussion about diversity in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that's really interesting how it's evolved to that. So we are going to get to your top five Denzel Washington performances, which I imagine was incredibly difficult considering how big of a fan you are and considering how many great performances he has given a little bit of set up here and if I got any of these numbers wrong. I'm sure someone out there will correct me. I looked at his IMDb page, counted forty four feature film credits. Of those, I've seen twenty six of them, so I don't know how good that is or not. I don't know if you've seen all of them or not. Come out you can tell us, but I've seen twenty six of those.
Speaker 4: Forty four.
Speaker 2: He's made five with Tony Scott the director he's worked with the most, Spike Lee four times, Antoine Fuqua now three times, ed Zwick three times. He of course, has won two Oscars. And I got this from the five thirty eight dot com article speaking of those think pieces come out the four types of Denzel Washington movies. They have him ranked twenty ninth all time in terms of box office. His films have made over two point two billion dollars domestically. So just a little bit of background there. Let's actually go ahead and get to your picks. And how did you even begin to come up with your list?
Speaker 1: Well, we talked about this in the podcast.
Speaker 5: I actually learned this from people coming on the podcast, because some people we make everybody come on and say, what are your top five favorite Denzel Washington movies, and very quickly people were like, do you mean favorite performances or favorite movies? Like there this sort of like split between a Denzel Washington movie I enjoy or performance that I think is transformative and relevatory. And I never hadn't thought of it that way. So only through other people coming to the podcast, you like Dave Ziron, who's the great political sports reporter, came on with two lists and now that's a pretty common thing for people to do that. And or Ryan Kugler, we call it cooglering, who would have like tied for number five.
Speaker 3: Is four movies I can relate that happens on this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, so yeah it's called cooglering.
Speaker 5: Okay, so yeah, so for me, like my favorite movies are pretty different than this list.
Speaker 1: Of my favorite performance Okay really.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, no there's only one, well there's two, I guess it's I mean, that's not great, but yeah there's three on here that I would have a couple I would have put on my list of favorite movies. But then later through doing the pod, because I'm like, I'm just saying that so I sound smart, It's that actually true?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, just to jump in real quick, I'm curious because we may sprinkle in our choices. I know we did come up with our top five as well. Josh, did you end up in a similar place or are you like me and kind of have your five favorite Denzel movies that also happen to correspond with your favorite performances.
Speaker 3: I went with performances. But for me, the tough thing was we have a poll going on right now between best Denzel performance or another poll asking for your favorite. So this is a whole other can of worms come out that you can get into. And so I got turned around in that a little bit, which has been really tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we are going to get to those results later, but I guess I'll give a little bit of a spoiler a good example there. I think I don't have him in front of me, but Malcolm X, I think one for best performance, but Training Day wins for favorite, right, And there is a big distinction between those two performers.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: Like people, there's a sense that we talked about this in the podcast, there's a sense black people really like to not like Training Day because, like you know, he's just playing a bad cop, but you cannot deny the immense fun it is to watch him in.
Speaker 4: That performance totally.
Speaker 5: You know, you can sort of get on your high horse and go, I don't think it's good that you want to Oscar for that, And that's also a discussion we can have. But I'm somebody who came around to that and be like, this is just a good I mean, it's like he is so he chews up every bit of scenery and it's so fun to see an actor like that get the be allowed to sort of just run all over the screen. It's like, whereas Malcolm X, he literally does the right thing. Yeah, pun and it's a great performance. But it's like, if, honestly, I think I always think of it this way, if there's two TVs, or on one TV, there's two different movies playing Malcolm X to Training Day, that's how you figure out your favorite the one. You go, well, I gotta go watch this, and I I'd watch a little bit of Malcolm X. Eventually I can get the Training Day before. He says, King talking.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, so did either of those make your top five? Then both of them?
Speaker 1: Maybe? No? We talked about again. So this is top five performances.
Speaker 4: That's right, performances.
Speaker 1: So number five, I'm going to say Hurricane.
Speaker 5: Okay, Hurricane is I used to be one of my favorite movies, but if you watch the movie, it's a little bit heavy handed. And they also have to cover a lot of time, and so it's just that thing where movies have to cover a lot of time, they sort of like things sort of get attenuated. But that movie did bring me to read about Ruben Hurricane Carter a lot.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 5: But his performance in that movie, the fact that he plays a guy from like eighteen to like I don't know sixty, and it's not totally unbelievable, and in fact, he was forty five years old and ripped in the boxing scenes. Yeah, and it has a classic Denza watching line, I'm fifty.
Speaker 4: Years old, the quivering lift everything. Yeah, fifty years old.
Speaker 7: I've been blocked up for thirty years.
Speaker 2: It's funny about that movie because in that poll question that we're referencing, we gave like the top six answers we thought would be the most common and we didn't list Hurricane among them, And then we had other where people could write in and Hurricane scarcely got mentioned. Do you think that there is a valid reason or any reason that you can come up with why that movie for some reason just hasn't held the same esteem over time since it came out.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it has.
Speaker 5: The biopic problem that, like, you know, it's hard to sort of like when you really need to cover a person's whole life, it's hard to do a great job with that, or a thorough job with that, Like you know, every biopick should actually be like a season of television where it's like, you know, instead of like cramming all it.
Speaker 1: Also, I think it got a lot of heat at the time.
Speaker 4: I remember that, yeah, because.
Speaker 5: They played a little fast and loose with some of the facts, which I felt like, do we all see a beautiful mind? Was that guy like like a positive reprobate, like you know exactly, but the movie he's.
Speaker 1: Just a crazy match genius.
Speaker 5: I feel like that was to me like a little bit of of institutionalized racism, where like, oh, so this black guy gets heat for playing fast and loose and then not as fast loose as the facts as other biopics do regularly.
Speaker 1: So I think it's sort of.
Speaker 5: That affected it and also I think it's a little bit like if you want to watch Hurricane, you might as well watch Malcolm X because it's basically a better version of that movie.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a black guy.
Speaker 3: Well, he has been in a number biopick, so you know, maybe once those start getting ranked in people's minds, Hurricane falls to the bottom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, might be.
Speaker 1: I just think Hurricane is not really he's great in it. It's not.
Speaker 5: I mean, I said this very it's not a ton of fun like I think. So it's not like like Malcolm X, even though it's tragic, seeing him be Malcolm X is fun. It's just it's amazing and you're like, oh, this is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. So Hurricane is great, but I think it doesn't It maybe doesn't age as well as these other ones. But his performance is absolutely top notch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a clear one there. As you were saying that would fit here into your top five. Performance has been not your top five Denzel movies. What about your number four?
Speaker 1: My number four, I'm going to say a Soldier story. Love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Soldier story is like the first I think, I mean, maybe he did maybe he did the carbon copy movie first, but we don't really count that, ye, But yeah, Soldier story is really like a great movie because it's a murder mystery and Denzel starts out being what you would think is like, Oh, this guy's got nothing, and then eventually the reveal, it's like, oh, this guy's got a lot more than I expected, you know, no spoilers. And I think that, like, it's sort of interesting that he ended up being such a leading man because it's really a that is a really character performance, Like it's not dominated by him being like the best looking, handsome guy, Like he's sort of a he's sort of a nerd for lack of a better word. He's wearing glasses and he sort of thought as like not being really worthy of anyone's respect in a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where are you from?
Speaker 8: Peter's Hollywood, California by way of Alabama.
Speaker 1: So you see, I enlisted in forty two.
Speaker 7: I thought we'd get a chance to fight.
Speaker 8: So did you know the sergeant?
Speaker 7: Well, no, son, he was already with the company when I got a sign and pfc's and sergeants we don't mix too well.
Speaker 1: So you played both for him?
Speaker 7: Oh yes, sir, I played shots though, and did you like the sergeant, no, sir, you see where it goes back to the team. So stone ass felt the stone ass. But I'm the only one who called him now, So sergeant water soon didn't mean no offense.
Speaker 5: Leading actors don't normally start out that way. They normally start out as leading, you know, it's like it's a real character role. Later he would have been cast in the role that Howard Robbs would have played if they'd done that movie.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 4: Well, it's right, he kind of is encourage under fire, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does the same thing.
Speaker 5: So I think it's really a testament to the fact that we've sometimes in the modern era, we forget that Denzel if he was less good looking, he would have been a great character actor.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's too.
Speaker 5: Good looking, too tall, too good looking to be a character actor. And also I think that he actually was in a soldier's play, which is why he played the same role in the movie. He was in the soldier's play, And we had David Allen Greer on the podcast, who was also in a soldier's play that also starred Samuel Jackson. Was also in that play in New York and told great stories of like actors in the late seventies and early eighties, those guys all being in a play together.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that movie is one. It came out in eighty four. I was nine or ten years old then, and I watched it all the time. For some reason, I think my dad exposed me to it and I became obsessed with it because it would be on HBO all the time, and so I would just see it constantly. And I do remember him very vividly from that film. And then I remember getting into high school my senior year and having to write a paper for an English class on the Melville short story Billy Bud that was made into a movie in the sixties with Peter Yusunoff, and that's basically a soldier story, is basically Billy Bud, but set obviously in the army. So yeah, and I love that movie in that book too. So that's one that has always stuck with me. It's a great choice.
Speaker 9: Sixty years a Whistler Black Home. Two legendary mountains, thousands of stories, from skiing on the back of glaciers to pushing the limits. We've carved our legacy into this terrain. Now it's your turn experience North America's largest ski resort for yourself with world class snow sport events, Conscious to the Edge of the Mountain, gravity defying fire and ice shows, and more. This winter, go beyond plan your trip to Whistler Black Home.
Speaker 4: What about your number three.
Speaker 1: Number three glory?
Speaker 5: I think, I mean, it's like I sort of struggle, like maybe it should be higher. I mean, he basically that's when for a lot of black people, he became like, oh, so we're gonna put him on a post this stamp someday that he's gonna be like, he's gonna get his birthday off one day, Black.
Speaker 1: Household, We're gonna be in the back of Haptis Church.
Speaker 5: Fans all for that scene where he plays a very complicated character, again a character, it's something a character actor would do because he's not the good guy in the movie. He's a very complicated character, and characters sort of want to hate, but Denzel Washington's charisma sort of makes it that you're like, I.
Speaker 1: Want to hate you, but I can't. And it is I mean, glory.
Speaker 5: Tire is a thing like you can say this the body I almost had a glory to people because of that movie.
Speaker 1: The fact that he cried out of one eyeball.
Speaker 5: I mean it became like this, words like not always per forwards, but he's doing a magic trick.
Speaker 1: And I mean it's to this day you can say.
Speaker 5: To most black people of you know, probably go Glory here, and they know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Most many people do know what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: But I think it's just like it was when he became bigger than just an actor in that movie.
Speaker 1: And that's a movie. Again.
Speaker 5: You don't get to see a movie where he's acting up against Morgan Freeman and Andre Brower and you know, big ups for what's his name, Farris Bueller in that vie. What a lot of white guys would I would have been mad at that they were on screen, but I would be like, move out of the way so I can get to But he sort of plays a very good like I'm not supposed to be here, but I have a lot of Respector Matthew Broder watched that movie. I'm like, he could have been blown off the screen, and he he sort of let his naive tate laugh him not to be blown off the screen. Glory, that's when he becomes a force to be reckoned with.
Speaker 6: Yeah, button up that column, sucking that gut, tucking them big black lips. Lighten your skin, shrink up that nose.
Speaker 1: I don't have to listen to this.
Speaker 6: Where you going?
Speaker 1: Boy? Let me buy, Let you buy, Let you buy.
Speaker 6: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: Boy.
Speaker 6: You can march like the white Man, you can talk like him, you can, you can learn his songs, you can, you can even wear his suits. But you ain't never gonna be nothing to him but an ugly ass chimp in a blue suit.
Speaker 4: Oh you don't like that, dude, No, m.
Speaker 6: But what we gonna do by it? You want to fight me? Boy?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 6: What you gonna do by it? You want to fight me, don't you?
Speaker 3: There's no denying though that Denzel just man handles that movie. I mean, he's not really supposed to be the one thing you come out of it thinking about. You do, and you do?
Speaker 1: You absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think it's the potent combination of swagger and anger that he has in that role. And it's you're right, that is a much more watching scenes from Glory again, it's a much more complicated character than I remember in my memory. It's not the sort of postage stamp character that we might think of. He's really complicated and troublesome and conflicted, and man, making a breakout performance out of something like that takes a special sort of skill.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that was his first Oscar And I think also I think about that as we talk about the current era of like people don't understand how can Colin Kaepernick say such mean things about America and say he still likes a merit.
Speaker 1: Well, it's complicated and you.
Speaker 5: Know, like go watch Glory, Denzel ends up basically showing pride in his in the flag, you know, like well at the same time hating everything the flag has created. So I think it's a for a black person. It's like that character is very relatable. It's like I totally get that, Like, you know, it's not love it or leave it, it's like hate it and fix it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's my because we just got done talking about last week on the show Born on the fourth of July, so this topic seemed very relevant. And then I just actually watch Glory for the first time. Somehow in the eighties I missed it. I knew that I had to cross this one off before I talk to you or talk to anybody about Denzel Washington, and yeah, his performance is there's no doubt it's a standout and that interesting combination you pointed out, Josh of the kind of swagger and anger and that sense of righteousness is something we get. That really comes through in a lot of really good Denzel performances. But then on the flip side of that are the ones where it always feels like he's repressing that and that's fascinating too, and that comes through actually little bit, I think in his character in The Magnificent Seven, the more quiet, reserved ones, but there's always something underneath the surface you're just waiting to spoil over, to bubble over.
Speaker 3: I think that struggle over the idea of righteousness is like, if you look at Denzel Washington as an aw tourist actor, like, what's the through line in almost every one of his performances. It's that and you see it right here in Glory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great, pick number two.
Speaker 1: Number two.
Speaker 5: We're going with Training Day, which I training Day can easily be number one, but I don't want to get black people mad at me, so I'm gonna say number two.
Speaker 1: Look at their training Day.
Speaker 5: I mean, that movie only works as well as it does because you have a history of Denzel Washington's career behind it to sort of know where he came from. And so I think if he had done Soldier Story and then Training Day, you'd be like, okay, so he just kind of a jerk, you know. But because we'd had a history of Denzel Washington being like this sort of like you know, a post Malcolm X, like he's our savior, he's black, you know, he's black Jesus or Jesus as some.
Speaker 4: People say, there you go.
Speaker 5: You have this sort of history of him being like this sort of like he's he's our avatar for positive black male role models. And then in Trading Days, it's like a meta performance because we're like, how you're watching the character of Alonzo do all these horrible things.
Speaker 1: We're like, Denzel, how could you do this?
Speaker 5: And at the same time, again, his charisma comes through as that character given to another actor would just be like, you know, it would have been like bad Lieutenant whe hyper kn't tell you, just like I just hate you, you know, Like, which is fun to watch, but it's not a box office hit. I think it's denzel'scharisma that turns that into a box office hit. And again shout out another white guy, Ethan Hawke. I condescended his performance with the Warrantine, and I'm like, you have to be a strong actor.
Speaker 1: Do you put up with that with that guy? You know for the whole movie? Be truly effective.
Speaker 6: A good narcotics agent must know and love narcotics. In fact, a good narcotics agent should have narcotics in his blood.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna smoke?
Speaker 2: Tang?
Speaker 1: Nope, you are hell if I am.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, you know, no, Wow, you're a moment some of your Jesus fraid No, man don't know.
Speaker 5: This is my job. Is your job.
Speaker 1: I can't do that.
Speaker 6: Smoke it, huh, saying a test.
Speaker 3: Just take a hit, take a man, Listen.
Speaker 4: I became a cop to stop people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 10: It's not a review board, and I ain't cocaine.
Speaker 5: Take a hit, noo.
Speaker 2: I think, in general, a lot of us I've noted this recently because I think Ethan hawks had an amazing run over the past couple of years. In particular, I think a lot of us condescended to him for some reason as not a heavyweight enough actor. And I think he's proven us all wrong here recently, I.
Speaker 3: Like the idea of his performance in Training to being a meta performance that in the way you talked about, but also because when I watch it, I feel like he's screaming at Oscar voters the whole time. I don't know what you've been waiting for, but fine, here it is brates them into giving him his best actor Oscar, which they finally did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as the great comedian Greg Proops said, and I was one of tho jokes I wish I had written. And he said this before he won the Oscar. He's like, and finally they're going to give this. Guys played Beco and Malcolm X and Ruben Hurricane Carter. They're getting give an Oscar for playing peptatious McGee.
Speaker 2: Pretty much times, I was just like, that's good, that's so great. All right, Well, what's what's better than training Day?
Speaker 4: What's your number one performance?
Speaker 1: Malcolm X is the Michael Jordan of Denzel Washington movies.
Speaker 5: Like, it's just like you can sort of argue against it for fun as not being the greatest, but that's the greatest performance because it's also the most important performance because when he took the movie, Malcolm X. There was a lot of talk of like can he pull this off? There's a lot like amongst the black comunty, he's too dark skinned to do this. He doesn't look enough like Malcolm. We should get a lighter skin guy. There's all this sort of talk about this book is impossible, Spike Lee's doing it. It's Spike Lee going to do a good job. Is he able to do an epic movie like this? You know, Spike Lee ran out, like ran out of money, and then like black celebrities gave him money to finish the movie. It all is tied into also the fact that it was one of the first movies sort of that went viral before it came out through the X caps and the X shirts that people were.
Speaker 1: Like, people like Michael Jordan were wearing.
Speaker 5: Like, so the movie marketing became a part of the story, Like I had an X shirt and an X cap and I didnt even wear baseball caps. But it was just like it was a phenomenon, a cultural phenomenon. But now movies trying to replicate. Every movie tries to replicate sort of like a viral marketing campaign, and Spike Lee sort of pioneered that with Malcolm X and that movie. Without that movie, I wouldn't have read The Autobious Malcolm X. When I did, I was like, oh, I should probably read the book before I see the movie.
Speaker 1: So and that book changed my life. And Denzel, there's moments in that movie.
Speaker 5: If you've seen a lot of pictures of Malcolm X, and you see Denzel that movie, he looks like Malcolm X, which doesn't make sense because he doesn't look like Malcolm NEX.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right, and so that's why.
Speaker 5: And he's always talked about like he's a very spiritual, religious man. He keeps one down low a lot of times, but it's like he really feels like he was channelling Malcolm X. And I'm like, I don't know enough about that to know if that's true. But there's times that movie go it doesn't make sense he looks like Malcolm X, even though he doesn't. And I mean there's this, I mean, you know, one of the most quoted speeches in my life that we use as part of the rating system on the show is oh, I say, and I say again, you've been had, you been took, You've been hoodwig, bamboozle, let as stray run him up.
Speaker 1: This is what he does. I just did a very poor job of it.
Speaker 5: That speech is like, again, it's like, it's just one of the things where you can say that to probably a certain generation of black people, like go oh yeah, Malcolm X. And the finally about that, there's no evidence that Malcolm X ever said that, the real Malcolm X, but it's one of the most quotable and again, we didn't land on Plymouth Rock. There's no alpha evidence that the real Malcolm X said that I've ever seen, but Denzel said it, so now it's one of those popular Malcolm xIC quotes. Like he sort of took over the legacy of Malcolm X in that movie in a way that you realize is so gigantic when you compare that to and not not putting out his performans.
Speaker 1: But like Will Smith and Ali that's it's fine. Yeah, it's like it's not bad.
Speaker 3: I think there's something similar between those two performances though, And yeah, I mean Donzel's is far superior, but both are taking actors who are known for their charisma, right, they just have this molten hot charisma and playing figures from the history who had the same thing and so that could go really poorly, but somehow I think will Smith pulls it off. But even more so Washington, they managed to morph those different types of charisma into something that's wholly new, like what you're talking about, Kamal. Where those speeches are considered, it's not Denzel, it's not Malcolm X. It's this holy new thing that is so powerful. It has this pop cultural cachet now that that we all recognize.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you I really.
Speaker 8: Every election year, these politicians are set up here to pacify. Just sit here and set up here by the white man.
Speaker 4: This is what they do.
Speaker 10: They send jougs in Harlem down here to pacify it.
Speaker 1: They send alcohol down.
Speaker 10: Here to pacify it. They send prostitution down here to pacify it. Why you can't even get drugs in all them without the white man's per missions. You can't get prostitution in hollow without the white man's permission. You can't get gambling in Holland without the white man's the mission. So every time you break the seal on that liquor bottle, that's a government seal you'll break, I say, and I say it again. You've been hand You've been depend Goodwin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like I said, I think like and again not I think the Ali movie like it didn't. I mean, it works fine, but I don't think it was like it's transcendent and some stuff.
Speaker 1: For reasons that aren't to do with will Smith. I don't want to put it on him.
Speaker 5: I think with the Will Smith performance, I feel like there's a difference between Sometimes in that performance, I can hear him doing the impression. Yeah, no, compre where's with Denzel. I don't hear him do I don't hear Denzel and about at all? Like, oh, this is just footage of Malcolm X. They got I thought he was more light skinned anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, so with Malcolm exit number one, really that perfect crossover then the synthesis of great movie and great performance. And I'm with you completely, Josh. Were you number one Malcolm X as well in your list?
Speaker 3: I had he got gamess my number one gel performance. And that's only because I revisited a fair amount of it in the last week. I had forgotten how good that movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got it at number four.
Speaker 3: Oh, good, good, excellent. I mean it's this is again like in Glory A really complicated in some ways, nasty guy, far nastier than than the character and glory, but the way the shades he brings to that and he got game and plus that doctor j Affro. I mean that might have put it over the top for me at number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean that movie is amazing. That's a movie that I haven't seen as much as the other Denzel movies. And I think that it's like a classic Spike Lee movie, and that's kind of a trojan horse.
Speaker 1: You think it's about one thing, but it's really about another thing.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and uh but when I watched when I rewatched his performance the movie for the podcast, I was like, oh, yeah, this is way better than I remembered. And we had Spike Lee on our podcast and it was a great episode. We did, like all talked about all the movie to work and Denzel. It's also a thing where I told Spike like, I wouldn't have picked when you had Rayald in that movie back in the day.
Speaker 1: I was like, why this guy?
Speaker 5: And then it real ends up being one of the greatest basketball players in the history of all period, Like that, you're smarter than.
Speaker 1: Me, Spike Lee.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 5: Kevin Avery one is Kevin averys Denzel, who's the cost of my podcast. One of his favorite Denzel scenes in the movies, and he got game when he hits a guy in the.
Speaker 3: Throat man and he is so vicious there, and I love the touch at the end where and this speaks to the layers of his character he runs. You know, it's not like this big victorious. He is the tough guy. He you know, he he just knocked this guy out, but then he also realizes what that means for him in his life and he takes off running down the street.
Speaker 4: I love that touch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, it's like it's at that moment where he hits the guy, the guy goes down, he also says like keep breathing, breathe, and then.
Speaker 4: That's such a Denzel moment. Yeah, I don't really want.
Speaker 5: To hurt you, but you know, but also, oh shitoving to get out here exactly. I mean, there's there's so many like I'm sort of upset that I didn't get man on fire on here because I think.
Speaker 2: That's well, that's yeah, keep going to that's a good transition. Maybe real quick as we consider any other movies you did strongly consider or ended up as honorable mentions, as we've mentioned a couple of the ones for our list, and we're certainly not going to go into any detail at this point because you've done an amazing job illustrating why Denzel's so great in your picks. But I had number five deja vu because I felt like I needed a Tony Scott film here, and their collaboration being obviously the one that he's collaborated with that director the most, and I was thinking about it just in terms of Man on Fire or some of these other titles, the taking of Pellam one, two three. If you had another movie star in any of those roles, say someone like Bruce Willis, who I think is a fine movie star, would he have ever been able to bring an ounce of the emotional complexity and depth that righteousness, but then couple that with that kind of vulnerability or that humanity that he brings that makes those movies rewatchable. Denzel is the reason why I mean Tony Scott. I know a lot of us have come to appreciate his filmmaking more over the years, but it's Denzel that makes those movies worth revisiting.
Speaker 4: I think what about you come out? You sound like, you're not a big fan of that film of Deja Vu.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I mean I enjoy that movie.
Speaker 5: It's just it's one of those things where it's like there's some movies this is true of all actors, where I think he's great in that movie, and I think Denzel does elevate a movie beyond where it can only like you can take a bad movie, it's like, you know, it becomes better with Denzel. That one, to me just feels very much like I like watching that movie, but if it had been Tom Cruise, I wouldn't have stepped near it, you know, like I wouldn't have liked it. So it's like the movie in and of itself to me is it's a very sort of mainstream Hollywood vehicle, sure, which I'm not anti that, but it doesn't it feels like and Denzel's got a lot of those on a thing where you're like, this could have been I think he brings lot to it, but it could have been anybody, Whereas like Malcolm X is either Denzel or nobody else, Like you know, Training Day is either Denzel or it becomes a much different movie. Deja Vu might have been a bigger hit with Tom Cruise because he's a white guy, and we tend to enjoy white guys running around after explosions more than we like black guys doing it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: No, No, very valid.
Speaker 2: Though to my point, I don't think I would want to go back and rewatch the Tom Cruise version.
Speaker 4: But Denzel.
Speaker 1: Cruise, Jack Reacher. I'm looking forward to the sea.
Speaker 4: Aren't we?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: So real quick, I'll just list him number four. I had, he got game number three.
Speaker 2: I had Devil in a Blue Dress, And this is one where if I was just ranking the movies, it might be lower. But I love his easy rollins. I love every bit of that, and of course love don Cheetah's Mouse as well. Number two Inside Man and one Malcolm X so three of the Spike Lee movies in there in my top five.
Speaker 3: What about you, John, I've got Devil in a Blue Dress right there at number three too. I think that speaks to his timelessness. I mean, he slips into that what is it about nineteen forty fifty familiar post World War so easily, and that puts him up there with the all time actors. When you can do that shift shift Eras. So I had Flight at five, a movie I'm very mixed on, but man, he just about pulls that thing out in the last ten minutes. Isn't quite able to Malcolm X. I've got at four because I do really like him so much in Devil in a Blue Dress. At three that might be a sexiest performance Devil in a Blue Dress for sure. Glory I've got up there at number two, and then as I mentioned, he got Game is number one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So come out any other thoughts on any of those or any of the other films that you regret that you couldn't squeeze in there. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean there's a film that I've really come to respect a lot because of the podcast and that when I rewatched it, I was like, oh, this is even more important than that. I think it's the sort of and I think a lot of people made me respect it more. But I watched it and I was like, this film still holds up that it just didn't make it. I just did and if I put it in I would have been trying to sound smart. But Philadelphia is maybe the most interesting Denzel Washington movie that there is, just the fact that he be in the course of the movie goes from homophobe to not homophobe. And he's a black man, which in the black community there's a lot made out of us being more homofog to other people, which I don't believe to be true. But Tom Hanks gets the credit for Philadelphia, but Denzel's character is the anchor of the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I actually just saw parts of that movie recently on TV. Hadn't seen it in years, and some of those courtroom scenes are fantastic, and Denzel is why and Jonathan Demi's camera and those point of view shots where he's talking right to us as the jury as the audience, I think are really effective. You're right, Denzel is great there. He also worked, of course with Demi on The Manchurian Candidate, which maybe not as good as the original Mantor in Canada, but still a quality.
Speaker 1: I like that one. His I mean, Meryl Streep is amazing in ventoring candidate. It's just which is funny.
Speaker 5: That's what we had Spike Leeless his top five Denzil watching movies, but we wouldn't let him put his own movies in there.
Speaker 1: And so he listed Manchuuring Candidate, which I was like interesting.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, well we will definitely link to that episode in our show notes at filmspotting dot net, the one with Spike Lee and link to your podcast. And I can't say how much fun this was. Thanks so much for taking the time again, come out, thanks, come.
Speaker 1: Out, Thanks for having me happy to do it. This isn't an election, This is a coup.
Speaker 6: This is in our own country, a regime change in our own country.
Speaker 7: Then don't then.
Speaker 8: This is rich people, manchurian global funding, bad science to put a sleeper in the White House. And that's what's going on, Rosie, that's what's going on.
Speaker 2: You'll hear me joke about this in the show on Friday. But yes, he did just openly laugh at me at one of those picks. But Josh, I'm standing by it. What other choice do I have. It's on the record. It's on the record, isn't it Our Thanks again to w camal Bell. That was a fun show and we have another fun show talking about Denzel Washington coming up this Friday, our review of Spike Lee's latest Highest to Lois. You have complete archive access as a Film Spotting family member. You also have other benefits like monthly bonus shows, a weekly newsletter, and early access to events a whole lot more. Learn more at film spotting family dot com.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. The fine.
Speaker 2: Film spotting is listeners supported. Join the film spotting family at film spotting family dot com and get access to ad free episodes, monthly bonus shows, our weekly newsletter, and, for the first time, all in one place, the entire film spotting archive going back to two thousand and five. That's a film spotting family dot com panically