Speaker 1: Unpacking the tool Box is a production of shondal And Audio in partnership with Higheart Radio. Katie. I was just gonna say, I learned how to say it in Spanish. Uh, the same candlement. That's how you say unpacking the toolbox.
Speaker 2: Okay, take me through that slowly.
Speaker 1: What this in bacando in bacandle lacaha laca the eramienti the same candle.
Speaker 2: Oh God, doesn't that sound so sexy? Geezmo just speaks me in Espanol.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this, We've tried and to lasted for like not even a minute. I don't know what you're saying. I'm just a.
Speaker 2: Dumb actor that only speaks English. Okay, we're starting this podcast today. At the time of this recording, everyone's dropping like flies between flu cold RSV, which is like a kid cough that's a nightmare, and running rampant right now. Hand free mouth is a real big one in the nursery schools. It's where they get really weird bumps and ship on their penis, but in their mouths. It's insane. It's like I was going to segue into talking about all the different measures we used to take to not get sick on Scandal. Both my kids last night got positive blue tests. You can keep that in the podcast. You can keep that like I'm dying. Can you hear her screaming? Okay, if you're a come in for one second. This is just gonna have This podcast is gonna be amazing today. Hey, look, say hi, we're just doing work here. We're talking about Scandal. You want more yogurt? Yeah, I want to go ask your dad for that now.
Speaker 1: Butot you ask your dad who's laying on the couch scratching his balls.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye bye, I love you both, Okay, bye bye. Any of these shows that do you know, eighteen to twenty two episodes, nine day episodes, you're shooting at the least fourteen hours a day, like we barely ever did twelve hour days. I feel like, oh yeah, there is no option of getting sick.
Speaker 1: You can't get sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I have full faith that Mary Howard, our line producer, could have made the show go post COVID world. But like you know, we used to show up sick to work.
Speaker 1: The tardless yees like oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean Carrie could not fall down and she had two little ones in the later seasons of Scandal, who like, as soon as your kids start going to nursery school, you're fucked. Like it's just like every other day is diarrhea, vomiting, l it's like whatever. And I remember her getting like either the flu or close to the flu, like a million times over, and I just was running around set passing out. Yeah, every homeopathic.
Speaker 1: Potions and shit they used to. Once they sent a doctor to my house to do like a house call because I had like a fever and I was in the middle of shooting oh yeah, and she gave me like that Z pack and some like shots or some shit, because like you said, we just couldn't get sick that you know, not showing up wasn't an option. We couldn't be like can't come in today, like I'm you.
Speaker 2: Know those Scandal days where like your wellness and well being was everybody else's responsibility to so you could just like text Harry Howard to be like I think, yeah, you have to send a doctor to my house to get busy pack. It's like now that we're regular mortals walking around the planet, we have to figure out how to get our own damn prescriptions. Yes, So when you hear me and g in this episode just clearing our throats a lot and sucking on our own snot.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: This is one of the most chock full episodes I think we have ever done to date.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but it's such a fun episode. Like I remember having so much fun shooting this particular episode.
Speaker 2: This episode two oh three is what we're talking about today, people. It is called Hunting Season. It aired on October eighteenth, in twenty twelve. It was written by Matt Byrne, again one of the go to Scala writers who also wrote Uninventing Anna. It was directed by Ron Underwood.
Speaker 1: Do you remember run Underway?
Speaker 2: Yes, he did a great job, he really did.
Speaker 1: Do you remember Katie At one point, I think when we wrapped her in the of shooting, Columbus picked him up and, like you, shuffled him around because he's a little guy. I love little guy. I'm a little guy too. But I remember Columbus just grabbing him and lifting him up in the air and Ron was like, boy, what's happening. He was so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I feel like Ron was like five six, Yeah, he's he's adorable. He's like adorable looking, so he gives off the vibe of like someone you just sort of want to pick up and harry around in your pocket.
Speaker 1: And Ron also directed Tremors, which is a really old school famous horror film.
Speaker 2: You know, me and my horror Yo, Guillermo. We got to start a drinking game that involves the scandal Rewatch podcast and like horror backstory. Yes, okay. Guest stars on this episode are incredible. We've got Norm Lewis's Senator Edison Davis, Greg Henry's Hollis Doyle, Brenda Song as Alyssa, Brian Letcher as Tom Tony Westmorland is how Wendy Davis is? Can really? Mitchell Stephen W. Bailey is Noah Elliott, Patrick Fischler is already Hornbacher Hello, and Anne Cusack Holy shit do they look alike?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The q Sack as one of the three. I think there's three of them. We're going to get into that leader as NSA director Corinne Stark, Yes, okay, okay, I'll start synopy sis. Tensions are running high Olivia Popen associates due to questions about Quinn's background, and when an NSA analyst already Hornbacker drops the bombshell, claiming that the government is using a new technology called thorn Gate to spy on its citizens. Olivia's caught off guard with how far up this scandal goes and distracted by her problems with Fitz at the White House, Cyrus has to try and keep Fits calm and collected. When Olivia's former flamed Senator Edison Davis shows up. Melly is happy that things are going good with her and Fits now until she learns that he had Olivia brought to him, so she threatens Fits. Meanwhile, David Rosen, with the help of his former assistant, dig deeper into his conspiracy theory about how he lost his case against Quinn and what Olivia's involvement might be.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's what's up. That was good, Wayne O, Megusta, Muccoesposo.
Speaker 2: Me, boyfriend.
Speaker 1: What you don't mean again, slut?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna call you that from now on. I should know what is wrong with me? Okay yo, let's get into this episode. So much happens. God, it's solid, It's just so solid. And we've got the introduction of the one and only Norm Lewis Yes as Senator Edison Davis. Like you are your you have your horror stuff, and every single guest star and director that come on that that was a horror person. But when Norm Lewis, King of Musical Theaters on is Olivia Pope's ex boyfriend, I shit myself. Then I called Adam, who was also my husband, a big musical theater nerd. I have watched norm Lewis. I mean Norm Lewis was the first black Phantom of the opera. He was in the twenty fifth anniversary concert of les Mis. Yeah, you're welcome, everybody I saw in Porgy in Best shondaland Family. Audra McDonald, yea, he is incredible.
Speaker 1: He was a Miss Site Gone, he was in Miss Chicago dream Girls. Yeah, yeah, yeah, guys.
Speaker 2: This guy is a musical theater icon. His voice is that of a gift from Angels.
Speaker 1: I think he even sang to us, Katie. I remember being on set and he sang to us, do you remember that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What did he say?
Speaker 1: I don't remember. I just remember it sort of happening. I don't even remember who was there.
Speaker 2: Let them hear you. I think he said. Did he sing God on High? Did he sing a song from Oh? I do remember every Wow? Thank God, you have a good memory, Giarma, because I do remember the entire cast and crew all coming into Olivia Popan associates around the conference table because Norm was like, yeah, sing you guys a little something. Oh he's so good. And I feel like in the beginning this top part of Scandal where the episode opens and he's like, on our fake news channel, which is called b NC. Yeah, yea are fake news network station on Scandal was called BNC, and Edison is on and he's talking about how the president's fucking up and he's doing a bad job, and this is all the things Edison things he should do because he's a powerful senator. Olivia calls him and is like, dude, you're wearing pin stripes. No one can even hear what you're saying when your shirt is doing a weird jumpy thing on.
Speaker 1: The camera is moving back and forth.
Speaker 2: It is a real thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I watch I Love Lucy and back in the day they used to wear pinstripes. I remember those episodes and being so annoyed because I was like, you know, their clothing is moving, it's so distracting.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it's funny that you know that he wore that like in modern times now.
Speaker 2: And then we kind of learned that they've like we're like, wait, what is this relationship? Who is this new guy? There's obviously history there there. Yeah, so we get the case of the week, which is this ringer of an actor playing already horn or Bucker by Patrick Fischler, And holy shit, is this one hell of a guest star and one hell of a performance. And if someone's gonna get an Emmy for a guest star performance, the fact that this dude was not nominated as a cruy Yo.
Speaker 1: Talk about fitting in right away, this little fucker. I remember walking in seeing him standing on that on our conference table at OPA and just being like, this dude is so freaking good. He just fit right in and had that scandal past down.
Speaker 2: He was just his steaks were so stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I wrote it in my notes when I was rewatching this episode. So like, you know, we're all back at OPA. Quinn's out of living at Olivia's apartment, she's out of jail. Everyone's being a bitch to her, mostly fucking abby. Like Dwayne walks in. She's back with like, hey guys, I'm back at work, Like will you take me back? I totally let go with the Lindsay Dwyer identity, and I am Quinn Perkins and here's your coffee. And Harrison is like, hey, welcome back and gives me like a lovely Harrison kiss on the cheek, and Abby's like, yeah, welcome back, Lindsey, such a bitch. And then we walk into the office and at heart, Alarty, like you said, is standing on the table. Was that his choice or was that written in the script?
Speaker 1: I don't remember. Whatever it was, it was brilliant, just that image of him just standing on the table, fidgeting with the like fixture above, you know, because he's freaking out about shit being bugged. Yeah. I don't remember whose idea that was so good though, so good. Maybe it was Ron's idea.
Speaker 2: Ron Underwood was little baby Bubby Ron.
Speaker 1: He said, get up on that table.
Speaker 2: But I love his performance. We all walk in and he starts talking about this thing called Thorngate, which is some insane intelligence shit. How would you even describe this shack or gearmo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're spying on citizens. It's not even like you know, like world leaders or potential like terrorists or people that you feel like the government would be spying on just to you know, watch their backs. Iorngate. They're literally spying on just your common man or woman. They're spying on them. And this this dude, Yeah, he brings in this external drive right and plugs it in, and then we see I think the first person that we see Thorngate like alive and working was with uh with Cyrus. Right. We see Cyrus in the White House. Yeah, and he's chatting about the President. He's talking to Hollis Doyle.
Speaker 2: I think this is when we first learned that Cyrus's middle name is Cyrus Rutherford Bean. Because it's up on your computer, and this is a fun fact, like you know already's like okay, pick anybody, pick anybody. I swear it, like right now, like thorn Gate is alive and well, right now, say anybody's name. We can fucking queue into them right now and see where they're at. And she's like, fine, Cyrus Rutherford Bean, Oh my god, Rutherford. I don't. I did not do a deep dive on where that could possibly come from.
Speaker 1: But I did not either, Okay I did not.
Speaker 2: Either, maybe someday, but throwing it to Cyrus Rutherford Bean as we bring as Opa breaks to the case to figure out about thorn Gate and what we do about it. This song on the background is at the car wash Uh yeah, hush yeah, which I know for a fucking fact that that is Jeff Perry's favorite song of all time.
Speaker 1: You gotta be kidding me. Oh my god. Just the fact that that's Jeff Perry's favorite song has made my freaking day, My rainy, rainy, gloomy day is brightened it up?
Speaker 2: What to be that once and he was like, I don't know if it was while watching this episode and like writing down scandal tweets, but in my memory, hard Wash is Jeff Perry's favorite song of all fucking time. Oh my picture him driving around.
Speaker 1: Doing the shuffle down to that song. Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: That's It's a great background song for all of us. And we're doing all our due diligence to figure out about thorn Gate and who knows about it and all this crap, and Olivia screams at all of us to get already out.
Speaker 1: And the reason why Olivia freaks out and orders us all to get alarty to a safe place is because she has a meeting with Karinda and a say director, and Karin doesn't blink an eye when Olivia brings up Thorngate, and that sort of puts up a red flag for for Olivia, and she's like, oh shit, something's up. This woman is trying to cover something up, and can we just talk really quickly. The woman that plays.
Speaker 2: Director Krin Anne freaking Csack. Anne Csack, who is I don't know what sibling line she's in with?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: John and Joan and Joan they're another one, let me go.
Speaker 1: I know there might be they might not be an actor though.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's Joan Cusack obviously, so fucking famous, so amazing. There's John Cusack. Oh so they both get names that start with Jay, and poor ass. Anne gets just like, what the hell? There only Anne and Joan and John and John?
Speaker 1: I love it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and they're from Evanston, Illinois.
Speaker 1: Really quickly and Cusack so wonderful in this role. But also she's been in movies like Stigmata, which is another amazing horror film with Patricia Arquette. She was in The Bird Cage. But the one film that she's in which she is just heartbreaking and stellar in it is a league of their own. She's in a League of their own. She plays Shirley Baker, the one baseball player, the left fielder who in the beginning of the film when they put up, you know, the lists of the women that made it on the team, and she makes it, but she can't read, so she can't find her name. And it's the most heart wrenching scene in that movie. It's so beautiful and she's so lovely in that scene and so emotional, and Gina Davis.
Speaker 2: Davis takes Anne Cusack to the side and is like, honey, can you like not read it? Yeah, I don't know, And then she goes to, let's go find your name together. They take her little finger and they like scroll it down the list that's been put up on the wall.
Speaker 1: And then she tells hers you made it, you made it. Oh, yes, so good. Yes, me too, me too. Shout out to Cusack, We love.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Cusack, We love. Fucking superstar Okay. Brenda Song is another guest star who's incredible. She plays Alyssa, David Rosen's assistant. But she comes in to David's apartment and sort of sees that he's in his underwear, which I seen Josh Bleine in his underwear is like hilarious.
Speaker 1: I wish they were like tidy whities, though, you know, they were like boxers, so it looks like shorts. I kind of wish they were like tidy whities, because that'd be fine.
Speaker 2: It would have been so funny.
Speaker 1: With like a little sting on the front and the back.
Speaker 2: And like like cartoons, like tweety birds or something.
Speaker 1: Stupid like under rus remember Underroos.
Speaker 2: Yes, like under Ruths. But she comes in and she sees that David Rose is in his entire like beautiful mind ass wall of crazy, and the two of them spend the whole episode sort of really getting to the bottom of how Quinn Perkins got off so easily from the case that like ruined his entire life.
Speaker 1: She's a black belt in taekwondo. Who knew? Can you believe that? Yeah? And then of course she was like most people know her because she was in the Sweet Life of Zach and Cody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I remember sitting next to her in the hair and makeup trailer when she would come to work. I think a lot of actors, when they start off as like kid actors on the Disney Show, they're all sort of like panicked about you know, how am I gonna transition out of this? I'm a real actor, like I want to work in other ways. And then some even like kind of can rebel and be like, look, how not Disney I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Brenda has a shit load of tattoos. I'm talking like in between everything, oh yeah, in between every single finger she has a tattoo, Like in between each finger on her fingers. She has tattoos. And I remember sitting next to her in the Hair and Nagle trailer and she had to get.
Speaker 1: Them all covered covered up like.
Speaker 2: Every day because they're on her hands. Like it's something if you have a lot of tattoos on your body but you wear clothes on the show like whatever. But they were on her actual fucking hands. And I remember her saying something to the extent of like, you know, I was on a Disney show. And then I like did my phase of like I'm not a goodie two shoe, like I'm not a Disney kid.
Speaker 1: I'm not that she got tatted up. She was like I'm gonna get tatted up.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. So Brenda's song and mccullay culkin are getting married after four years of dating. No, so she's getting married to mccullay culkin.
Speaker 1: Well, how like now as we speak, like this is present day, they're about to get married.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I really like that?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Oh. On January twenty sixth, people reported that mccullay Culkin and Brenda's Song are engaged the adorable couple who welcome their first child No back in April twenty twenty one. Ye have most of their relationship pretty private since they started dating in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a really good Like, Oh, they kept their shit incognito. Yup, like nobody knew. I didn't know about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are two and those are some child stars. Man.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Brenda, you were the best on our freaking show. Brenda's one of the guest stars that did come back a few times on our show, right yep?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so good, Go get a snack and we'll be right back. Okay, what is your next sections of this episode? G that you were like, this is the shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I wanted to talk really quickly about the safe house where we shot the fate. In the safe house where we take Auradie Hornbocker, it's like hucks, like the first time we see like Hucks, like you know, super like private, out of the way like safe house where we take our clients sometimes, and it was so much fun shooting there. It was always so much fun going and shooting on location because it felt like we just all had so much fun. We were like little kids when we got to leave the opia set right.
Speaker 2: That safe house was not on a stage.
Speaker 1: No, it might have been on it might have been on a stage, but it wasn't at Sunset Gower, So it was somewhere else is my mind. That's what I remember.
Speaker 2: But god, I do remember shooting it and it was so cool, like so basically this is an underground, sub level fucking thing that Olivia Popen Associates owns that you sort of it's Hucks Place or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think it's Hucks Place. I think it's I feel like Hucks had this spot for a minute, you know what I mean, But he was homeless for a while, so possibly, oh Pa Olivia paid for it and you know, to create it and to have it.
Speaker 2: But I do remember it being so cool and like they would always like add smoke to it, maybe like just so that the lighting always looked like kind of eerie and sort of like underground and like it's not so clear and it's really dark and dingy. But yeah, it was very cool. It was very very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was super fun shooting down there.
Speaker 2: So Alreaty is at the safe house, Quinn and Hawk are there watching him. Hawk is under like mad stress to like break into thorn Gate and like copy it or some shit. I don't know what hacking crap you're doing. You're doing something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well they when they first pop in that external drive that already brings to OPA, it sort of fizzles out and a firewall goes up, and now Huck has to break into that firewall so we have evidence to be able then to go to the authorities and be like, look this thorn Gate is happening and it's fucked up. Here's the evidence. So that's what Hawk is trying to do, and you know, yeah, like you said, he's super stressed because it's you know, it's extremely difficult.
Speaker 2: Look at you, firewall with that fucking terminology.
Speaker 1: Big words, fire firewall.
Speaker 2: I'm so into it. I haven't said firewall since we shot Scandal. That's her damn sure. And my favorite scene of this episode, it skipping a little ahead is Fits is so pissed because they've gotten picks. He's gotten picks that Edison and Olivia are talking again. He is not happy about it, and so he summons Olivia. At five o'clock in the morning. The Secret Service shows up and they say, get in the fucking car and they take him her all the way out to the woods somewhere where Fitz is hunting. The scene, you know, which is for the title the episode Hunting Season is the Hottest, best, angriest, most amazing, where like Fits like puts her on a rock and takes off her high heels, puts her in boots, is like lacing him up all aggressively, and they're looking at each other with like longing and sadness and anger, and it's so complicated, and the two of them are so good. And he's got a gun and she's like, give me a gun, and he's like, no, I have a gun. And they're marching through the woods and she's following him and they're yelling at each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just so cood. It's so good. And before she gets out of the car, she's sitting in the car like I'm not getting out. Who do you think you are summoning me to wherever you are? Yeah, and he says get out of the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Eddie's like, yeah, so loud, Oh my god. But it was so sexy, like you said, it was so hot. And I think the reason, like I was thinking about it, I was like, Olivia wouldn't put up with that shit. But I think the reason she finds it so hot is she's like, oh, look at fits being all tough and shit. She's like, I will fuck you up, motherfucker. You go ahead and be dominant all you want, and it's hot and I'm gonna kiss you later and make out. But at the same time, I'm gonna fuck you up if you go if you overstep, do you know what I mean? Like, I feel that vibe from her, like she's the ball. She's like okay, she like go ahead and yell at me.
Speaker 2: She's also like, fuck, I have to like figure out this thorn Gate ship.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, yeah, yeah, there's so many.
Speaker 2: Moving don't And he's like, don't you dare fucking look into fucking thorn Gate, Like you are fucking with national fucking security and you're being a trader to your country and she's like, you're fucking spying on people and you're a dick. And he's like, and you're going to your ex boyfriend and she's like, you know about my fuck ex boyfriend. And then without waiting too long, praise be they're making up against a fucking tree.
Speaker 1: Next thing, you know, on the Quickness, they're just making out on the track and like.
Speaker 2: Tom and Hall and the Secret Service just like turn their back. Yes, it's so awkward and uncomfortable and hot and wonder.
Speaker 1: It made me think, like you imagine all the shit that goes down like with presidents, right, like the shit like there's there's got to be moments where presidents are like, I don't give a fuck, this is what I'm doing, Like that scene when Fits wants to leave the White House. I forget what episode it was in, and he's just like, I need to get out and do what I want to do, just for you know, an hour or two. But it makes you think, Matt, all the shit that those Secret Service guys must see and women right.
Speaker 2: Yep, oh, I just wrote crazy Walk and Talk in the damn Woods.
Speaker 1: But and also this is where Olivia reveals to Fits that they know about the late night phone calls to the White House, right, and that's sort of what stops him to and he's like, wait a minute, like I knew about Thorngate, but I didn't know these motherfuckers were spying on me too, you know what I mean. Which we later find out that it's Cyrus right who sort of is using that shit and.
Speaker 2: The fucking Rutherford. Yeah, so he stops when he finds out, like, oh shit, they know about my personal shit boyfriend with all the details from Fits. Fits is so jealous, so so so so so jealous. That's what this is about, I think. And they make out against a tree and they're going so hard, and the Secret Service turn their back and Olivia says, I am not yours. I don't show what places because you want me, I am not yours. This is over?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good? How many times has it been over? Olivia? Goddamn?
Speaker 2: Oh well, this is just the beginning of this. This is just about podcast and be about to be Fits and Liver on. They're off, They're on, they're off, they're on, They're off.
Speaker 1: Another one of the scenes that happens a little bit earlier before this, this hunting scene, with Fits and Olivia. Is a scene with Abby and Harrison when they're going to check in on Monica, who was the supposing the other woman who knows that Aready knows about thorn Gate and took Thorngate. They're back and forth is just so good. I wrote down it's so classic buddy cop vibes. I love them together. Yeah, yeah, I wrote it's so satisfying to the ear into the eyes. It's also very when Harry met Sally. It's just that back and forth. They just mesh and meld so well together, those two characters. And of course Darby and Columbus like had the best chemistry.
Speaker 2: Ah, where is that spin off?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I want that procedural. I want that in Abby Harrison spin off Good Cop, Bad Cop. Love watching them handlecases.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, And so we find her dead. We find Monica dead. She's dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he dead? Good she did. I don't even know what the fucking body count is by episode two oh three that we're at it scandal like, how many people have done it?
Speaker 1: That would be kind of a cool, like little side thing that we figure out is the body count.
Speaker 2: But I also gotta say I love the scene Fitz comes back from the hunting scene with live and he's a duck to Melly, and this whole episode he has been like nice to Melly and they've sort of been reconnecting over like designing the nursery because the baby's coming, and Melly is folding baby clothes that have been gifted to them from Queen Elizabeth, which, like Queen Elizabeth was alive at the time, Like.
Speaker 1: Right, I know, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: To me, it's just so weird.
Speaker 1: I know. And fits is like, you know, you could get somebody to fold those clothes, and that's when she's like, no, these were gifted by the Queen. I'll fold these baby clothes. It also made me think like, oh, god, kids, I don't know how y'all do it. I was like I've said this before and I'll say it again. Listen. I got four goldfish and sometimes I'm like, I gotta feed them today again, like I'm stressed. I'm like, oh, he's fucking fish. I gotta clean this tank. I can't imagine having like live human beings running around. You got to keep them alive.
Speaker 2: Have you had a goldfish die yet?
Speaker 1: Oh? All the time. Yeah, But these have lasted. These have lasted over over a year. They're goldfish. I sometimes I've buried a couple in my backyard, but usually just flush flush.
Speaker 2: But yes, Bellamy is folding baby clothes from Queen Elizabeth and they're in a great place. Her in fits and then he goes to this hunting thing and when he comes back, he a dick. And Melly goes right up to Hal and Tom the Secret Service. She's like, what the hell happened while they were hunting?
Speaker 1: And they are quiet, and this scene, that scene is one of my favorite scenes in this episode too.
Speaker 2: To me too.
Speaker 1: Well. She's trying to get out of them. Why She's like, why is my husband being a dick? Yes?
Speaker 2: And she's like, what tell me? Blink just blink a few times. I'm going to list a bunch of names, and you can tell me who he saw out there and why it was affected him. And she names all these people like Cyrus, his mother, all these people, and then she goes to Olivia Pope.
Speaker 1: And and Hal is like.
Speaker 2: Hal winks and old face changes and the only way that Belle and Young can do. And she's like thank you, Joan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, it's such a great, fun, fun scene. And the way Mellie says, floody r eyelashes for a girl, just.
Speaker 2: So good eyelashes. Girl. There are some moments where Bellamy's a Southern bell. I don't know very many Southern women, do you.
Speaker 1: I don't either know. And Bellamy, like you said, she was like the first like southern bell if you will, that I've met. But to that that level of the most loving, kind lovely person like that you can meet.
Speaker 2: Oh I know, And they write to.
Speaker 1: That, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: And then I wrote down Olivia Show's network had Thorngate his wife at home. Oh oh oh right. So then she calls in all the these big dogs and to prove, like Thorngate is a real thing.
Speaker 1: Isn't it the network people, doesn't she call? Is it the network people?
Speaker 2: It is? Yes, yes, yes, yes, because they're like.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna show this ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, it's the people. We're gonna tell the American people, essentially on primetime news, yes, that this ship is going down.
Speaker 1: And then so Olivia tells Huck Show the footage, and it's footage like you were saying, of this, this head of the network's wife with their baby and talking to her friend and he's like, oh my god, that's like my bedroom and my wife. You know, this is a real.
Speaker 2: Thing about him.
Speaker 1: She's like, you know, he could, he could maybe go to the gym once in a while. He's like, shut it down, turn it off. I get it.
Speaker 2: In my head. She's like, my husband's dick is flaccid, like no viagraa's working. I'm so not satisfied in the bedroom. Maybe it was that it's something in that ere not something.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I know it's real.
Speaker 2: And then I just wrote we find out that wait, I have to pee. I'm gonna pee my pants. Yeah, we'll be right back after I go peepee, and we're back from that quick pee pee break. So now, so now what happens? Okay, already, Oh we find out that already killed Monica. Oh, this is when this whole fucking we find out that shit goes down has been had.
Speaker 1: Yes, he sure has all by grilled cheese, the demise. It was the grilled cheese though grilled cheese demise.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, so what happens You're like making lunch or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Artie's making grilled cheese, and Hawk is sort of you know, he's he's hacked into the firewall, and he's he's happy that he was able to do any didn't take twenty two days, as he stated earlier in the episode. And then all of a sudden, you know, a smoke alarm starts going off, and Huck gets up from away his from his computer and goes to open the window. And then we see that Already goes to Huck's computer and pulls out the external drive and puts it in his pocket and leaves, and Huck was hoodly winked Hoodley win Wells. Hut thinks at first that Already's going to the bathroom, so Already goes to the bathroom, closes the door, and then he gets a call from Olivia and Olivia's like, where's already he And Huck is like, oh, he's in the bathroom again, and Olivia's like, break down the door, break down the door. Yeah, yo, can I just say really fast? I low key like thought I had dislocated my shoulder in this scene because I had to keep banging into that door. I'm not even kidding, and my shit was like look, and you know, I was trying to keep it together because I was like I can't stop like shooting and be like you, guys, I think I dislocated my shoulder. It was so freaking bad.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Guermo, you poor fucking actors are so fucking stupid. Like, of course, like the first couple takes, you're like so like you're so into it and you're you're like acting the shit out of the scene, so like you're gonna like I'm gonna fucking break down the door, and like Olivia's yelling at you and ye no.
Speaker 1: But bus how it was for me, it was like the second take, I was like, oh, there it goes my shoulder. Oh my god. And Ron was like one more time anyway. I was fine, it wasn't dislocated, but it.
Speaker 2: Felt like stil you really committed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now Artie's on the lamb. Artie's gone, right.
Speaker 2: Artie's gone. He's got all the information. He's literally the most powerful person in the universe. He can spy on anybody at any time. And all I wrote after that is Abby says her, how did this happen? Abby's talking to Olivia like, no, you've made two mistakes. This mistake on already fucking Hornbocker, who just fucking hoodly winked us and Lindsey fucking Dwyer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ship, yeah, I know, get over it a get over can we can we talk about Have we talked about this scene yet, that scene where where Mellie says that memorable line get over her fit?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's kind of We're getting to that the next one. But wait, wait, wait, wait really quick. Right before that, they come to get us at Olivia popan Associates, and all I wrote down was that we are standing in key formation people like they open up the doors to get us, and like it's the office. We're essentially making like a diamond. Yes, And I don't remember if it was this episode or another episode, but whenever we were like standing in that formation and had to stand in it forever because shooting takes so long, I feel like we were trying to make like dance routines happen, because it felt like we were in a music video formation.
Speaker 1: I think that's in the blooper reel too, where we're in that formation and we're all like busting out dancing. Yeah, we have.
Speaker 2: To post that when the episode comes out and watch it because whenever I see Olivia Popanasosi's in a shot where we're in like standing formation I heard. Yeah, we always were like and this is when we do Rhythm Nation. Yeah, and then we get into we switch back over to the White House and Mellie has the best fucking scene ever. She's been stewing and brewing because Fitz has been a dick since he got back from hunting season with Olivia, and she says get over.
Speaker 1: And Fitz says something.
Speaker 2: Like, well, I don't know what get over her, guero. I am so fucking impressed by your impression of that, Like I just did it once and I was like, oh, I'm not gonna be able to talk for a week. And then she says, you see her again, I'll blow you away, and I'm an excellent shot.
Speaker 1: Oh the way she delivers that line too, she does it with like sort of with a relish, right and sort of with a smile and a smirk. I'll blow like sea, I'm an excellent.
Speaker 2: So good, she's so like, you know, obviously, the whole episode is about hunting and all these metaphors for hunting season and shooting, and we get to Huck finds Arty and rot Row got his toolbox or however you say toolbox and.
Speaker 1: Es Yeah, very good, but it's one of the one of the one of the first times on the show, right that we see the toolbox. We see it in season one, but I think this is this might be the second time where we see that infamous red toolbox.
Speaker 2: And then the bitch baby starts to run away and g is like, I'm gonna dart your ass.
Speaker 1: I'm a doctor ass with his fucking sleepy dart. Yeah. But but first we find we we realize that Huck has tracked Artie because Artie stole one of Huck's watches, which a little side note, a little fun fun fact, Huck would keep the watches of the people that he would torture and murder, so he has like boxes full of these watches. I don't know if you remember that case.
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 1: Arty Farty is still one of Huck's watches, which have radium, which is really easy to track. And that's how Huck found AREDI.
Speaker 2: Far party, you fucking moron.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait where I did it say in the script that Huck takes the watches of his No.
Speaker 1: That's from seven fifty two. We don't find that out seven fifty Yeah, but but the writers and the you know, they already knew about that. I'm assuming because in this in this episode, he has that box full of watches that already pulls out, and Huck is like, don't fuck with that.
Speaker 2: That it, Yeah, I love it. Then we get we cut to the bar and we've got the line that the best We're standing at the bar me Darby in the middle, Harrison on the end, and Quinn is like, god, man already fucking had us. Man, he fucking it was perfect and we he fucked us, like, holy shit, that was unbelievable how he did it. And then Addy says, yeah, it takes one to know one. And I'm like, you know what, screw you, fucking screw you, screw your fucking mother's mother, screw your father and everybody. Screw yourself. Straight to hell.
Speaker 1: Hell want yourself there again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go to hell and screw yourself because I'm fucking done with this. I am not Lindsay, I am Quinn, and I am here to stay. And then Harrison so beautifully says, I'm Quinn bitch, which is so good tag on Twitter. That's my experience, like any single time for the next seven seasons, eight years of my life, anytime Quinn fucking kicked ass. It was a hashtag I'm Quinn grateful to Maddy Burne and the Scandal riders for that gift because it was the best well and it was also.
Speaker 1: A little you know, a little nod, a little salute to Britney Spears because in Britain Spears says, I'm Britney bitch.
Speaker 2: I'm Quinn bitch. Happens it's the best. And Edison says he's his client now because they've kicked him off the intelligence team. Huck says that he didn't hurt Artie and that he's handling much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he says, I didn't hurt him too much, so you know, he did some a little bit of damage, but yeah, and Olivia is a little bit concerned that she sort of opened this door, this torturing door, but Hock is like, no, no, I'm good, I got this. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: And the episode fucking ends with Rosen and Abby going to bone Town.
Speaker 1: Going to bone Town, everybody, and that's where Abby and Rosen went.
Speaker 2: They're going to bone Town, and it seems like it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like the like the Gladiators lost their shit in this in this scene, right, at the end of this episode, because it was like, what, I don't think anyone expected that. Do you know what I mean? For these Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: When we read it at the table read we were like what, yeah, it was a total total left field shocker shock shock shock.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's the beginning of their amazing, interesting relationship, exciting relationship.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. Tweetwee twet twet twetwee tweetwee tweets at the time.
Speaker 1: All right, yoll, let's get into our favorite.
Speaker 2: The tweets of the time are getting good.
Speaker 1: Guys, they are getting good. They're getting better. I'm really happy with these. There's a couple that I'm like, this is so good. Katie tweeted, my besties are coming over for popcorn and wine with their Grays ABC and Scandal ABC. How will you be watching?
Speaker 2: Oh god, somebody beat me up. Gross. That's such a goodie too. Shoe tweet like, I was like, ew, that's so gross. It's like, okay, everybody, my besties are coming over. God, gross.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: At Jess Florence writes, it's been weird, like seeing a grandma and bikini or a Democrat with a Bible hashtag scandal hashtag hileius and then at Sharif Jackson wrote, longest shoelacing scene ever hashtag scandal. I bet that's true. I think if we went in the Guinness Book of World Records for any scene on television that had shoelacing going on, that that was probably the longest one.
Speaker 1: But also so like sexual, so sexy, and it was merely the act of you know, tying her shoelaces, but it was still filled with so much sexual tension.
Speaker 2: Listen to this one. Why are they so surprised they know about the Olivia prezy horny night calls? Hashtag scandal. Olivia and President both scream at each other and are unstable. Just get a room again hashtag scandal.
Speaker 1: Peachy j said, but how does the president kiss Olivia Pope in front of his secret service hashtaig scandal? How else is he going to do it? His secret service is around him? Twenty four seven my gig, because he he just wants that.
Speaker 2: He just wants that them beautiful Olivia Pope lips on his lips and he doesn't care who wants to watch it, Like he is like clown. Yeah, he's down to Clown. Episode two oh four is next week. Episode two O four is titled belt Way Unbuckle.
Speaker 1: Oh, I remember.
Speaker 2: This episode and it's amazing to come back. Tell your friends, like, subscribe, get all your family and friends to watch, because all you gladiators, you're all out there and you got nowhere to go to put all your scandal gladiator love, so bring it here. So thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: Get us.
Speaker 2: How do we wrap out?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Hope, hope, hope. We love you guys, hell love you guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you bye, Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, rate, or leave us a review.
Speaker 2: Scandal is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, Alex Alcea, Lauren Homan, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher.
Speaker 1: Scandal is a production of ABC Signature, and you can follow along by rewatching Scandal on Hulu.
Speaker 2: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows.