Speaker 1: Hi, Sabrina, Hey will I just had a magical night last night.
Speaker 2: What okay, Well this could go a number of different ways. What what what what happened?
Speaker 1: You would you would?
Speaker 2: You would?
Speaker 1: I got to go to Club thirty three at Disney last night, which is your first time ever? No, I've We've been multiple times, and I always feel so lucky to get to go because it is such a cool experience. It's super exclusive and people This was my question to you this morning. Do people assume that things like getting into Disneyland, going to something like Club thirty three, or things that you just obviously do because you worked for Disney for so long, do people ask you that? And that is sumption?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe maybe not so much now, but when I was doing a lot, like we were doing Kimpossible or Yo Portants World or even some of the stuff for Disney after, they assumed that, yes, you could do I've only been in Club thirty three months.
Speaker 2: Ough.
Speaker 1: Well, I literally the way I get it, it was the funniest, like it's the craziest and just out of nowhere. So my husband's mom is a preschool teacher, okay, and her students love her. She's like the best. If her school wasn't like fifty minutes away from my house in the morning, my kids would be going just to have the experience of missus Lundberg as their teacher, because you just hear these magical things. She's great. Students love her. People ask for her if they have, like Axon a second or third child, you know, and whatever get placed. Well, a grandma of one of her students is a member, and that's how will you know. We don't overuse, we don't overask, but for every once in a while. And it was Jordan's sister's birthday, so we got to go. Jordan's sister. How do I put this without saying it out loud, because it's also supposed to be very secretive used to be very close with Alice in Wonderland. She looks very much like Alice, very close. She's friends with Mad Hatter, things like that, and they're doing it's the seventy fifth anniversary of Alice in Wonderland. All the plates were Alice, and there was heart shaped greenery with red roses, and I mean the detail of this place, as you can imagine, she's amazing. All of the Club thirty three gear and things that you can buy are Alice themes. It was so cool, will like. And then the most amazing thing. We had an amazing waitress who we started talking about it. She are the waitress we had at Club thirty three. Had been working at Disneyland for fifty five years can you imagine, and says she wishes she could have fifty five more years there, like loves it, thinks that every everyone in the world should work at Disneyland at some point. And so she had awesome stories. Her and Tiffany works sharing stories. And then at the end she brought over this Alice in Wonderland full tea set, which, as you know when you've been there, I'm sure you looked at the merch like whoa, Like that's not just like a small little gift and gifted it to her for her birthday and for all the time that she spent part of the park.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, I was waiting for cameras to come through the curtainside, what is this awesome night? It was so cool and I just I feel and that's what I was telling Jordan' like you know we've gone several times. I had some someone who was able to get us in our Jordan and I first time going together, and I go. Every time you go, it's like you don't take it for granted, Like it's such a cool experience, and if anyone is ever able to figure out a way to get a reservation there, you've got to do it.
Speaker 2: You gotta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it's it's expensive, but it's so worth it the experience.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: What I remember most, honestly, what I remember most about my experience was the fact that it was one of the best pieces of steak I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 1: That's what I had. It had the flame in you and they're known for and so good.
Speaker 3: It was like it was one of those like you take a bite of it and you're going, wait this camp, this can't be disc right, and.
Speaker 1: It's all Mine came out and it's like not that big, it doesn't look that big. But I barely finished mine. It was so good and like it was just like dense and oh it was just I barely finished mine. Yeah, anyway, I had to excare because I'm telling you it's I wish. I wish more people could experience it because it really is so magical and if you were a Disney fan, Disneyland fan. It it is something that's just awesome, that's really cool.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Magical Rewind the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's, and your popcorn and go back to a time and all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis, and the high School's musical.
Speaker 1: I'm well for now and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 2: Just when I thought but I was out, that kept pulling us back in. Oh, that's right.
Speaker 3: You might assume there's only three High School Musical movies, but today we're reminding you there are actually four.
Speaker 2: There's four.
Speaker 3: We're recapping the twenty eleven spin off d com focusing on.
Speaker 2: A franchise stand outside character.
Speaker 3: Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure. Okay, Sabrina. So when we watched the original HSM movies, I'm pretty hips so I called them the HSM movies.
Speaker 2: We were openly fans of Sharpey.
Speaker 1: Oh ovily like loved her, loved her, loved her.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Did we did you a lover enough to where you thought the characters should get their own movie and could that character carry a movie, which is a very important question, or do you love her because she comes in, steals a scene and leaves.
Speaker 2: That's a very important.
Speaker 1: That's one of the things that I thought about a lot. And I mean I really had Ashley Tisdale's great pheno's rate in this character. What she did in the three movies was just like she was seen stealing. She was sometimes storyline stealing, right like just she was so good that I definitely assumed before watching this that that was the case, Like, yeah, she was gonna do it. It's hard. It doesn't shock me. I was in the the mecha of the Channel at this point, and the whole company was in love with Dashley Tisdale.
Speaker 2: They as well they should be. I mean, yes, on so talent, Zack.
Speaker 1: And Cody's Sweet Life. What she's done with you know, high school musical and and what we've seen a lot with Disney is they do give their stars a chance, some chances to direct, some chances to produce. So doesn't shock me. I just wasn't quite sure what it would be, and I for some reason was allowing myself to like dive into the high school musical world and this was nothing like it. That's what I if we were doing first impressions. This was nothing like what I was expecting as far as it being a high school musical, was barely a musical in reality, Yeah, at barely.
Speaker 2: So it was interested to see what you think.
Speaker 3: Well, the movie does exist, as we know because we watched it, and it first aired on the Channel on April nineteenth, twenty eleven. It was filmed in Toronto, in the country where all good dcoms are made, a with a shoot that lasted from May to July in twenty ten. This marked the second Disney Channel franchise to hit four movies. What was the first Sabrina Go, Halloween Down, Halloween Town and Yes, this was a big Disney Channel vehicle For actress Ashley Tisdale.
Speaker 2: This was her own movie where she was also one of the executive producers.
Speaker 3: She's long been not just a presence in front of the camera, but also behind, since she also produced another dcom we just recapped, Cloud nine, though she.
Speaker 2: Didn't have anything to do with the first eight.
Speaker 3: This also marked the first ever d com to be released on Blu ray and DVD first, Yes, so we say it again, release on Blu ray and DVD first before it actually aired on the channel, and it came in three different packages, a standalone DVD, a two disc DVD, Blu Ray Combo, and a limited edition Pink Clutch Purse, which.
Speaker 2: Was also a DVD, Blu Ray and digital download.
Speaker 3: It is worth noting you can get the perse edition right now in eBay for an average of about ten bucks in case you're jonesing for that.
Speaker 2: Obviously, it is not a Balancing rayd.
Speaker 1: What is that? Yes, a lot of listeners I.
Speaker 3: Think watched a Blu Ray last night. I love them and we'll watch them forever. And we hear it, well, we were gonna talk about it. We hear a magical rewind love a Blu Ray Special, a special feature, which is one of the reasons I like the Blu Rays because they've got so much extra stuff on him. So it's worth noting that the Blu Ray Classic Disc includes bloopers and two featurettes, Evolution of Sharpey and the Austin Cam Austin Butler Student Film, which I thought was a massive, massive mistake in this movie, which we'll get into. And yes, it's that Austin Butler in this movie, and we're going to get into that.
Speaker 1: A little later, sure is.
Speaker 2: And the DVD Blu Ray formula worked.
Speaker 3: It sold two hundred and thirty four thousand copies in its first week, debuting at number nine on the DVD sales chart. After six weeks that had sold over four hundred thousand copies and made over seven.
Speaker 2: Million dollars in sales. Nice.
Speaker 3: Now, as far as High School Musical Universe involvement, Vanessa Hudgens was set to make a cameo in this, but supposedly promoting her other film and personal appearances made that impossible, or she.
Speaker 2: Just didn't want to do it and that was like the easiest way of saying no.
Speaker 1: Well, I have questions, and I'm glad lisas on because I know she'll have the answers.
Speaker 2: Okay good.
Speaker 3: You might also be wondering did the home video release affect the ratings?
Speaker 2: Well, the answer is new.
Speaker 3: For its Disney Channel premiere, it still received four point nine million viewers. So this got me thinking. Rumors of High School Musical four have been swirling all year, but maybe could it just be another Sharpay sequel? Would that still wet the appetite? Would that be enough for people?
Speaker 1: I don't absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I think it would be a little bit of a tease. I think it would be a little bit of.
Speaker 3: A tease, would be sexy reference.
Speaker 2: And now I'm not gonna a little bit of a tease, no.
Speaker 1: I I think if they're gonna do a high school musical four, it's gotta be with the cast. It's gotta be single, all the heavy hitter, I mean, main characters have to be in it, not just cameos either, like they meet like you gotta gotta be.
Speaker 2: The people are not gonna be happy unless.
Speaker 1: Kids gotta do They gotta do it as good as they did that third movie, which was a crowd pleaser.
Speaker 2: Uncle Corbyn Blue comes in and all that kind of stuff. You need everything love it.
Speaker 3: But now since we're talking about this type of a movie, we got to talk about the soundtrack. D com plus twenty tens equals big Music. The soundtrack came out on Walt Disney Records the same day as the movie release, and the first single was Gonna Shine by Ashley Tisdale. The album features music from the movie sung by Tisdale and also singer named Sean Mulko, who was the singing voice for the character Roger Elliston, and there's a cover of Justin Bieber's Baby and a Walking on Sunshine cover which we've heard before by Ali and Aj, which also appeared in the movie Herbie Fully Loaded. Okay, so we mentioned this spinoff when we covered the first high school musical. But before you became a host of a very niche decom focused podcast, did you know that Sharpay had her own movie?
Speaker 2: And had you seen it?
Speaker 1: Not at all? And No, not at all?
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 1: Guess this was because it is twenty eleven. I guess this was as I had already made sort of like my exit of being really in the the dives of the channel and in the know. I was no longer in the know, and I wasn't watching the channel at this point either.
Speaker 3: No, I agree, I, by the way, had no idea this existed. But that's not to be. We don't even ask anymore. I know you, I know, we don't even.
Speaker 2: Have to ask.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite sayings, As per usual, you can watch Sharpay's.
Speaker 2: Fabulous Adventure right now because it's available to stream on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: I've heard, and I can't confirm this, but I have heard that if you watch it with the lights off, a sleep paralysis monster's gonna sneak up behind you.
Speaker 2: Whisper the words you can better work in your ear.
Speaker 3: I've tried this, so I can't confirm, but I can't confirm you're allowed to watch a movie before or after we do our recap.
Speaker 2: It's up to you and that creepy, creepy little monster.
Speaker 3: And now leash your dog for rehearsal, because here's the synopsis. When Sharpei is discovered by a talent scout and given an audition for a Broadway play, she's.
Speaker 2: Shocked when only her dog lands a role. How will she.
Speaker 3: Work her way into her own chance at fame? All right, it's not wait any longer. Early thoughts, Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure?
Speaker 2: Were you in? Were you not? What'd you think?
Speaker 1: Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure threw me through a tornado? Okay of ooh, I'm so okay, okay, and uh I'm having second thoughts and then okay, and then I kind of just just finished it. I think it didn't have the pop that I now expect. You know, I didn't. I now, I'm I'm an HSM fan, so I am now expecting this, these these musicals pieces, and I didn't get the things that I was assuming. And maybe that's just not fair. Knowing that it's a sequel, knowing that it was not high school musical, I think my expectations were just misplaced.
Speaker 2: What about you kind of the same. I feel like.
Speaker 3: It's fun that she's unlikable in the high school musicals, Like that's an enjoyable that's part of the character.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 3: When it comes to then leading a film and she gets better, they try to humanize her more as the movie.
Speaker 1: Goes on, which I kind of have to, but it's you know.
Speaker 3: I agree that there's a campiness to high school musical and a frivolity to high school musical that this didn't have. It kind of tried to take itself very seriously with the character that was a secondary kind of character, if that makes sense. So, yeah, it didn't. And I felt like, and we'll get.
Speaker 2: Into the cast.
Speaker 3: I felt like Austin Butler was again kind of in a very different movie, Like he played everything very serious and very real and very earnest, and that's great, But then when you put him next to like an Ashley Tisdale in a kind of an absurd way, his character wasn't played for comedy kind of at all. Yea, So it was it was muddled, I guess was the way I would say, again, you look at the cast and you go Asha Tisdale star hugely, hugely entertaining.
Speaker 2: Austin Butler.
Speaker 3: You saw him and you're like, this guy is not in the right movie, but he's gonna do good things.
Speaker 2: You can tell right away.
Speaker 1: So talented, you know.
Speaker 2: The little kid I found to be fine. It was just it was fine. But again there was there is that cheese factor of High School Musical that I missed.
Speaker 1: I missed her big over the top character was played, but it didn't have who who I missed in this movie was her brother?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, of course that the two of them together, and we get into this because there there's a story there too.
Speaker 1: There's is there okay, because I'm I'm again That's where I was like, I need to know. Yeah, no, But it was the two of them that that that duo that they brought to High School Musical was. He had a huge part of making her be what she was.
Speaker 3: He's also a breath of fresh air in the entire thing. I'm going to give you the weirdest reference that no one listening to our podcast, including you, is really going to understand. Okay, it's like you're watching Gilligan's Island and they did a spinoff of Just Ginger and it's like, oh, okay, I get it, Like I get it, but it's just not kind of you know, it's not what people want. Also, it put me in mind of the executroducer of Boy Meets World told me a story once about how you create a spinoff character, and he used Fraser as an example, and what he said is, he's like, Fraser is the crazy one on Cheers, but when you put him into his own show, you have to push him to the center. And the way you push him to the center is by bringing on someone even more crazy, and that's Niles. So you had to bring on somebody more Sharpei than Sharpay, and which they try to do with her. And so the only way you make Sharpey likable is by making somebody even less likable than Sharpey, which pushes her to the center. And they didn't go far enough with that with that, Yeah, I think they.
Speaker 2: Just made her mean.
Speaker 3: They should have made her more Sharpei. She should have had another crazy dog that didn't want to work. That's why they had to cast somebody, some other dog, because her dog doesn't do these small projects. You know, she's got to even be in more pink. It's got to be bigger and more over the top. You've got to make it it Sharpey times one thousand, which then pushes Sharpey to the center, and she's looking at herself. It's like a funhouse mirror of herself, which makes her reflect on who's was, which puts to the center. She falls for the nice, good looking guy, and then when the movie's over, she's the star of a whole new franchise as a regular kind of person.
Speaker 2: And that whole kind of situation.
Speaker 3: They kind of tried to do it, but it I don't know, it just didn't fully land for me.
Speaker 2: It wasn't bad.
Speaker 1: I've started to focus on other things in this movie. We'll get there, we'll get all there. But early thoughts it was it was not bad in any sense.
Speaker 2: No, it's just great, right fine.
Speaker 1: For me, I think my personal expectations were too high for what we ended up getting.
Speaker 3: This Again, one of the things I'm finding with a large number of the not a large number, but a group of these big, big Disney Channel movies that we're watching is a lot of the times you get a phenomenal cast because Disney sees the cast that they have, they see the talent, and they put him in something that might not be the best thing in the world, but you instantly see how good they are, and then they'll find them in something else, and find them in something else, and find them in something else. So, I mean, we just talked to Adam Wiley, who was a great act and he does some movies that are great and some movies where it's like that one wasn't great. It's not Adam's fault, the same way it's not Ashley Tisdale's fault that this wasn't High school Musical. But anyway, this movie was directed by Michael Lemback, who began his Hollywood career in front of the camera as an actor on TV shows like The Partridge Family, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, and The Love Boat, and he is also one of the stars of the nineteen eighty nine cult comedy with Michael.
Speaker 2: Keaton, The Dream Team. Great Movie.
Speaker 3: But in the early nineties he'd become a pretty prolific director with TV shows like Coach and over sixty episodes of Major Dad. Over twenty episodes of Friends. He also directed the Santa Claus two and three and the twenty eleven Bling Ring TV movie So Very Good Director and as I mentioned, the movie stars the incredibly talented Ashley Tisdale, reprising her role as Sharpey Evans. As a child, she appeared in over one hundred commercials and ads, but ended up with the mainstream success on the Sweet Life of Zack and Cody. This led to her record deal at Warner Brothers and a gold debut album, Headstrong in two thousand and seven. The same year, she was cast as a voice of k Handness on the hit Disney TV animated series Phineas and Ferb, which ran from two thousand and seven to twenty fifteen and was brought back just last year. She appeared in Scary Movie five and TV shows like Hellcats and Carol Second Act and apparently does not get along with Hillary Duff just throw it up. Just I mean throwing that throw and one of Hollywood's hottest actors in twenty twenty six, Austin Butler as Peyton Leverett. He began his career as a child background actor for shows on Disney and Nick, then would pick up guest star spots on shows like Hannah Montana, Zeke and Luther and Wizards of Waverley Place. Then as an adult, he really broke out in twenty twenty two as Elvis in Boz Luhrman's biopic of the iconic singer, a role that Butler appeared to have an issue with when getting out of character hum He's since been seen in Dune Part two, caught stealing Eddington, and he's rumored to be starring in the upcoming Heat too.
Speaker 2: This time it's personal worth noting.
Speaker 3: Butler and Tisdale also worked together in two thousand and nine Aliens in the Attic playing cousins, and at the time of his movie, Butler was dating Ashley Tisdale's best friend.
Speaker 2: Yep, Vanessa Hudgins. So you knew that you knew Austin Butler and Vanessa Hudges.
Speaker 1: I knew there was a time where they dated. I wasn't sure what the timeline was.
Speaker 3: Okay, gotcha, I am out of the no. But I can throw out a great Gilligan's Island reference.
Speaker 2: Yes you can.
Speaker 1: And I'm a big fan of Austin. I think I watched him in the movie Elvis he was excellent. Like, like you said, in this movie, you see where that this kid is going places. You know, he's really really awesome.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Vanessa and Austin dated from twenty eleven to early twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, we were together for a long time.
Speaker 3: Then we have Bradley Stephen Perry, which is not Steve Perry from Journey, but Bradley Stephen Perry who plays Roger Elliston. Bradley played Gabe Duncan on the Disney Channel sit Come Good Luck Charlie, and was the voice of Zevon in The Descendants Wicked World. He just married Natasha Beret, the daughter of Candace Cameron Beret, and they're their first daughter. Robert Curtis Brown revisits his role as Vance Evans Sharpay's dad. You saw him in all three HSM movies and TV shows like c s I, New York, Big Love, and Big Time Rush. Alec Mappa plays Gil Sam's the director. Mappa is best known for his roles in Nickelodeon's Henry Danger, The Thunderman's and movies like You Don't Mess With the Zohan Guys. We love Sharpei and we love High School Musical, but we don't love long movies.
Speaker 2: It's ninety minutes or death. Death.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine anything longer, and when I do, I just want to jump into oncoming traffic.
Speaker 2: So how long has this Sharpey spen off? Exactly? It's ninety seven minutes.
Speaker 3: It's seven minutes too long, people, a good amount above the target. I'm filled with shame. There is no need for this movie to be longer than ninety minutes. But this is the world we truly live in right now. Filled with shame.
Speaker 2: Apologies to everyone.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna blame Robert Horran, the writer Who've talked about Horrane before. He's a Tony Award winner for the musical adaptation of Tootsie Great Great Movie. He also wrote the Disney Hercules musical and Thirteen for Broadway, but for Disney Channel he wrote two of Our favorites, teen Beach one and two and the Sweet Life Movie. Okay, so that's actually of her favorites. So let's turn our room pink and become a star, because it's time to recap Sharpay's fabulous adventure. The movie opens with our title and Sharpey singing into the camera in a music video style performance. She's on stage with her cute little handbag dog singing Gunna Shine, and she's eventually flanked by a male backup dancer group. She's performing on a catwalk to a modest fashion show audience, and just like that, we have our first song.
Speaker 2: And dance routine.
Speaker 3: For those who don't know this podcast well, Sabrina Brian here is a former Cheatah Girl.
Speaker 2: She's our resident music and dance expert.
Speaker 3: So I am now legally required to ask her, Sabrina, what's your opinion of our first track, Gunna Shine? A song about just how fabulous Sharpei believes she is and how she is Gunna Shine?
Speaker 2: What did you think?
Speaker 1: Ugh? First of all, legally required, that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: It's true. I don't want to ask, but it's contractual.
Speaker 1: I instantly said to myself, Okay, Kenny's not in part of this movie.
Speaker 2: You could tell huh yeah.
Speaker 1: Like right from the start, the visuals, the dancers, the choreography, all of it, top to bottom. I went, oh no, in the sense of again, my expectation is I'm about to see another Kenny Ortega and Ashley Tisdale combined. This is gonna be amazing. And the very first song is a musical, it's supposed to be a big number. You can tell the budget is much smaller than what we just saw in high school musical three, and I got nervous. I went, oh, crap, because because to me, if you're gonna do this, you need to do Sharpay's big adventure in a big way. And I went, oh, man, where are we gonna go? Luckily it started to change once we were out of the number, but I went and truly, by the end of this this wasn't the musical thing that I was thinking altogether. Any So, the first musical was a little disappointing, to say the least for me.
Speaker 2: What about you will Well, I felt exactly the same way.
Speaker 3: You can tell Kenny or take just because of what you've taught me how to spot the different levels and the textures and all stuff going, you could tell somebody else did this.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: Do you prefer, because I know you like musicals a hell of a lot more than I do a lot more, do you prefer the musical where they all just break into song randomly as they're walking through school and it's just part of the movie or do you prefer the musical like this, where there's specific reasons why the musical numbers happen.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would say I like the musicals more when they're kind of walking in, But I like them like the way Descendants and Zombies do where it is in fact, though, like every musical moment is a giant moment for the most part, right, But it's not like they're supposed to be singing.
Speaker 3: They're just supposed to be in gym class and it turns into a song as opposed to you're on stage singing in these movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't mind it because then like I go back to like a sister act and like the finale's sister act is like one of my favorites, and they're supposed to be dancing. So I honestly don't mind either way as long as it's done right and I feel something I like to get with musicals. I like to get the goosebumps. I like I like to to go oh my gosh, Like I love to feel the talent. I like to see the production value of it. Like I like to feel. The best musicals to me feel like you're almost in front of them. In seats, okay, And I get that with a lot of them, like you know, the good ones, the good ones.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't mind either way though, Like I don't mind the way that started. As far as it being like a stage show, I wasn't sure. I actually wasn't sure what we were going to watch too. I was waiting for her to wake up from a dream sequence.
Speaker 2: Me too, moment, me too, I really was gotcha.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, once the song ends, we're actually not in a dream sequence. We're in the lobby after a fundraiser, which we learned was the Albuquerque Benefit for the Art's annual fundraiser. A New Mexico fashion show is probably quite a spectacle. Sharpei arrives with her dog and everyone claps. Her parents welcome her with hugs and kisses. Her dad warns, Princess, you better watch out for law enforcement because they're gonna come after you for a steal. In the show, she's introduced to a bad guy named Jerry Taylor, a New York casting agent who is casting a new Broadway musical and thinks she's perfect for it.
Speaker 2: He'd love to arrange an audition.
Speaker 3: The musical stars Amberley Adams, who Sharpey thinks is only the most amazing performer ever. Taylor congratulates her again and hopes to see her in New York. Then we cut to the Evans' enormous estate essentially, and her father doesn't think New York is a good idea. He says it's more than just a show. It's going to the big city alone. She's shown him nothing to convince him she's ready for this. So we're later in Sharpay's horribly disgustingly ugly berry pink bedroom. I'm sure some people loved it, but woo just looks like you live in pepto bismol. She's with three of her friends Team Sharpei, working on Mission New York. She doesn't even understand what her dad meant. How is she going to show him?
Speaker 2: But she's ready.
Speaker 3: One of her friends suggests she throws a tantrum and then he'll buy her a new Berbery bag, which I guess is a thing to make her feel better. Sharpey admits that it's a good idea, but no, she needs to show them she's determined, so she gives her three assignments. We cut to a little later and find her friend Tiffany literally will not stop, will not stop talking in thousands of words. She says she's found a luxury townhouse in the city for Sharpey that is equi distant from both Chanel and Wicked. Sharpey thinks that sounds perfect and moves on to travel plans. We're then at the nail salon. Sharpey and her friend Dina are getting their nails done while Dina is on the phone with an airline. She wants a flight from Albuquerque to New York for one adult and one dog. She's disgusted by the option she was giving. Excuse me, coach. Dina and Sharpey start laughing at even the very idea of riding in the back of the plane. And this is when I realized. I was like, ooh, they got a change her because I don't like her. Did you think she was likable at this point? I mean, are you just supposed to is not liking or supposed to be part of it? Because I was like, oh, I don't want to watch two hours of this, right.
Speaker 1: I exactly, But I do think it was important for you to kind of remember the ridiculous level of this character that we're doing because obviously, in all films, an evolution is gonna happen. So you have to remember how crazy she is, Like you hope, how crazy, how how how out of this world she is, how she lives in a different world than the majority of the rest of us.
Speaker 3: I agree, And so it was That's why I was like changing her, yeah, because I don't like her yet.
Speaker 2: But I felt the same way.
Speaker 3: I'm like, obviously they're making it extreme at the beginning because they want to ground her.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And one thing I was caught up on was I don't remember any of these three girls. Were they in the first movie. I was like, friends, I don't remember any of them.
Speaker 2: I think tem tem Ashley was new for this movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're now back at Sharpay's house or third friend, Kelly is on the phone with Jerry Taylor's people booking the audition for two weeks from today. Sharpey is so excited and announces, now new outfits. We cut to a boutiqua. I like to say it that way. It's actually a boutique. Sharpay tries on a very sparkly pink dress and tells her friends this is opening night's outfit. She tells everyone to listen up, even ladies in the store. She doesn't know work is calling, and this is one call that is not going to go to voicemail. In the Evans living room now, Sharpey is presenting her New York plans to her parents, cardboard collage and all. She focuses on three poster boards of details like the color scheme of her penthouse and ideas for outfits, and then she ends with and then I'm a star. Her dad is still not totally convinced. Sharpey complains, Daddy, you said I haven't shown you I'm ready for this, but look I took matters into my own hands without even chipping my manicure. He explains, it's just not as easy as putting pictures on a board. So that's when her mom shines in. Her dear college friend Michelle has a son that goes to NYU and he's a very nice boy. Maybe she can ask her if he'll keep an eye on her in the Big Apple. Her dad asks if she's actually sure she's ready. Sharpey assures him that she can do this, just like she knows Purple washes her out and that her eyes are the exact same distance apart, like a supermodel. But what she doesn't know is whether he believes in her. Her dad finally caves and gives his blessing. Sharpay screams in excitement, thanking him. He does have one condition, though she has one month. He'll fly her to New York and pay for her penthouse, but she'll have to prove that she can take care of herself, and if not, she'll return home and work for him at the country club. Now we got a Sharpei in New York City. She's with her dog being driven around in a town car. A building manager, Marjorie meets her at the front entrance they've been waiting for her. Sharpei follows her to an amazing modern penhouse, which of course she loves.
Speaker 2: And then Sharpay's dog.
Speaker 3: Boy pops his head out of the bag and Marjorie warns her the building and its co op board has a strict no dog's policy. Sharpei breaks it to the manager. If he goes, I go, So, of course, we cut to you outside the building where she is sitting surrounded by her ten matching pink plaid suitcases. That's when a young man starts circling the dejected Sharpei taking videover which is super super creepy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She asks what he's doing, fair question, and he directs her to keep doing what she's doing. Sharpei asks if he's always just films totally stunning strangers on the street, and he explains only when he thinks the subject is interesting. He thinks she looks baffled and scared and really pink. Sharpei excitedly wonders if he's paparazzi.
Speaker 2: He says no, he's.
Speaker 3: A film student at ny should say, a stunningly gorgeous film student at NYU working on an assignment to capture one unique New York story, and maybe she's it.
Speaker 2: Sharpay's offended her left side. It's better for close ups. He says.
Speaker 3: His name is Peyton, and she introduces herself as Sharpay Evans, actress heires soon to be Broadway legend. That's when Peyton recognizes her and says, wait, but she thinks. He asks about her weight and responds about one oh five. But it's not polite to ask. That's definitely not what he meant. He was just on his way to her apartment. Their moms went to college together. And the one thing that happens all the time in New York City is you run into the one person you were supposed to meet. I guess if she's right in front of the building and he's supposed to be going to the building, it's more possible, but it's still like, it's.
Speaker 2: Pretty rare in New York to run into in the eight trillion people.
Speaker 1: That even when you're trying to when you're trying to find.
Speaker 3: Exactly I told you I'm meeting you here at nine, and we still missed each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are on the other sides of the street, and I was just in New York by all the train bustling.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She cosldly says she's happy to meet him and introduces him to her dog Boy. She tells him the town how she rented doesn't allow dogs, and now they won't let her live there. Her only option now is to go back home, but that's not an option. Peyton says there's an empty studio in his building and he can make a call she wants, again disturbingly casual, since she says she doesn't have any other options, then calls for the bellman and points at her bags. When nobody comes, she looks at Peyton. He just says, seriously, okay, now here's where.
Speaker 2: Ahead of question.
Speaker 3: Is her dad still paying for the penthouse that now she's not in because she's faking living there.
Speaker 1: I would imagine because she's a college student, but that she has her own credit cards.
Speaker 2: But she's not a college student. She didn't go to college. She took a year.
Speaker 1: She's graduated high school. I guess she's college age. She's out, but she's a dad was supposed to be paying for but I would imagine. I would imagine she has her own credit cards, so her credit card was going to pay for the penthouse that is now going to pay for this other thing and he probably doesn't want into it.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, See I didn't get that because he even said I'll pay for your penthouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's paying. It's him, but it's her credit card, like she has a credit card link to his account.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know. Do you put do you put rent, like a month rent of a penhouse in New York on a credit card? I guess you can.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I thought this in the entire time, this is front producer Makayla. He had to have paid for the month and then she used credit cards for the other stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, then yeah, oh I see what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So he probably still paid fifteen to twenty.
Speaker 3: Thousand dollars for the month for the apartment and she didn't stay there. And so the question is, why wouldn't Marjorie have then called the dad and been like, you know, your daughter's not staying here because she has a dog.
Speaker 1: Well, because we're only seven minutes in.
Speaker 3: And we've got but that's what I'm saying, But that didn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: They needed to.
Speaker 3: Do something better, They need to pay anyway, It just they just they just blew past that.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, you gotta remember the demo that's actually watching this has no idea what credit cards? Who yeh know that all that stuff, that idea that.
Speaker 2: Went right to the financial for that.
Speaker 1: The twelve year olds that are like super stoked for this movie don't nor did they know how a house payment even gets started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still gonna be like, his mortgage is got yet anyway, this is not going to be good for his credit.
Speaker 2: So we're back at Peyton's apartment.
Speaker 3: He's carrying her bags up the stairs, but Sharpay is disgusted at what she sees. Peyton pulls out his camera and directs her to go back outside, then come back in and give her.
Speaker 2: Even more of that. It's the end of the world. Look.
Speaker 3: Then some girls enter and say hi to Peyton. One of them is off to acting class and the others off to a singing lesson. By the way, none of this mattered in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: So if you want there, we go.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: You are seven minutes.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was, he could have gotten that whole thing in the apartment that she was going to be in. We didn't even need to be in that hallway.
Speaker 3: And again, if you wanted to do the hallway, just cut the two girls. You didn't need those scenes.
Speaker 2: It's just anyway.
Speaker 3: But one of them belts out a high note that makes the dog bark. The others off to an acting lesson. Peyton introduces Sharpei and her dog to the girls, which I thought, Oh, she's gonna meet friends.
Speaker 2: Nope, they never come back. They say hi and then leave.
Speaker 3: Peyton tells Sharpey she's gonna love this place, and Sharpey looks around for an elevator. He explains this as a pre war building, so there are no elevators, but it does have two things going for it. It is something available and he lives there. She looks up at all the steps and warns him if she breaks a heel or breaks the sweat, he's responsible. He carries all her bags upstairs and jokes that it's the room with the police tape and chalk outline. When they get to the apartment, Peyton is out of breath and she grabs one of the boys pink poop bags and wraps around the door handle.
Speaker 2: Very funny. She enters and says it's not a studio, it's a roach motel with no room service.
Speaker 3: She'll need an entirely separate apartment just for her lipsticks. Plus, where is she supposed to sleep? This is a dollhouse. Peyton pulls down a bed from the wall and Sharpey has no idea what it is. Quick Sabrina, what is that type of bed.
Speaker 1: Called a Murphy bed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good call, I'm murphy bed. She says it's actually a cloud with a tongue. He says, there's one great thing about the.
Speaker 1: Loved She actually had that light. I wrote it down. She had so many.
Speaker 2: Movie she really did.
Speaker 1: That's a closet with it.
Speaker 2: I died laughing.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's good.
Speaker 2: A bunch of her one liners are actually very very funny.
Speaker 1: I love the one that we skipped past. My eyes are perfectly part of.
Speaker 3: Me, like a thing.
Speaker 1: It was just like this is Those are the things that we loved about her character in the first movie was these these outrageous one liners that come.
Speaker 3: And wait like wait, one oh five. But people don't usually talk about like stuff like that. Very very funny, good dialogue. Yes, and she delivered it very well.
Speaker 1: She does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he also says, there's one other great thing about this apartment. He runs out the door. He quickly pops up across the way in just a bathroom.
Speaker 2: No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 3: He's outside her window, saying, see, this is my place. She wonders if she's missing something, then remembers she's missing space, luxury and maide service. He guesses she used to be spoiled, and she tells him if it's not used to be, she expects it. He says half the building is filled with performers who came to New York with the same ambitions as her, so he wonders what makes her so much better than them without irony, She answers money, talent, great hair, perfect jraw line, great taste, how much time do you have? Sharpay admits that if she calls her father for help, he'll make her come home to work and she'll never get her big break, and so she makes Peyton promise not to tell his mom. Peyton offers her some words of encouragement, then grabs her sparkly pink coat and heads out. Now in the New York streets, the new neighbors are walking together, with Peyton still filming her. She hopes he's taking her to a better apartment. He eventually stops and knocks on a door, yelling for Butchie. Once inside, he tells her to close her eyes. The lights come on and realizes she's standing center stage in the middle of a beautiful theater.
Speaker 2: She's in awe and he records a reaction.
Speaker 3: Peyton says, when he left Indiana to go to school in New York, he didn't know a soul there either. He only had two things, a camera and a dream. She insists he still only has a dream and a camera. He adds yes, but I met you didn't. I so something's working out. And again, their chemistry was good. It just seems like he was in like a real more adult romantic comedy and she was in a Disney Channel movie.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But again, neither of her were bad. They were both good and they worked well together. He just seemed like more of an adult actor to me.
Speaker 1: I think could have been irritated and disliked her a little bit more like this girl she At this point, he has now loved her, however far he had to to get her to this apartment. He got her an apartment. She is still incredibly ungrateful at this point. I feel like we needed a little bit of a dip, like you know what chick kick Yeah, like.
Speaker 3: Or or he makes He says she should have had to carry half of her bags up.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like she's gotta start learning right away.
Speaker 1: He's been a little too nice for a little too long time.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: It continues further again, he needed to I'll bring up one of your bags.
Speaker 2: You're going to bring up one.
Speaker 1: Of like they needed more of that teaching moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, teaching moments.
Speaker 1: She really had not a lot of those kinds of teaching.
Speaker 3: She had moments where she had realizations, yes, but they weren't based on any real teaching moment. Yeah, I agree, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to give them a little bit more like it was like, Okay, this guy likes her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything's still how do you like her? Still works out perfectly for her? So yeah, yes. So she informs Peyton of her plan. She's going to meet with the casting director, get the part, be a star, and have a palace.
Speaker 2: Peyton's enthused.
Speaker 3: That's the type of self indulgent, self entitled, optimistic pink hurricane he's been seeing through his lens. She likes how perceptive he is, and then challenges New York to bring it on. And then I was like, oh my god, is this going to be another bringing on? Is there going to be a dance scene?
Speaker 2: No? And I was upset walking around the city.
Speaker 3: The cover of Walking on Sunshine is playing by Ali and Aj of course, as Sharpay and Peyton explore New York while he continues to film her. It's a montage where she somehow beats a con man at a three card monte game, which is a terrible example for kids because the game is fixed and you don't win, or actually you win the first one or two and then they take all your money. She poses on a water fountain stairs at the street performer dresses the statue of Liberty, trying to get her to break struts over a bridge, watches break dancers, and Boy even sniffs a cockroach, which causes Sharp Paid to scream. At the end, she tries a street hot dog and spits it out, which is sacrilegious. They're amazing, and I don't know if if they did this on purpose. I don't think they did. They just use this take. If you go back and watch it again. The dog spits it out too Boy. It falls out of Boy's mouth like he's trying to chew it and it falls out of his mouth, which is obviously an accident, but it looks like he spits it out right before she spits it out.
Speaker 2: So great take, which I'm guessing they did not mean. But it worked.
Speaker 1: I wasn't expecting her to try it at all. I feel like when she gave it to the to her dog, I was like, oh, that's funny, Like, oh, thank you for this, here you go, baby, and like just gives it to when she actually tried it. I wouldn't have assumed that her character, yeah, would have even done that. It's not like she doesn't know what a hot dog is. I know, it's just that a hot dog's below her, whether or not she's in New York or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that both the dog spits it out.
Speaker 1: To It's very that's funny. That's funny. I didn't notice that.
Speaker 3: They eventually walk by a store called Pink Pink, and obviously Sharpey has to go inside. We're now outside Sharpey's apartment. We see Peyton again painting her walls pink, with a bunch of other new pink things around the apartment. It's finally bedtime in her newly pink wallpaper room. I mean then the room is just done perfect, Like they're both interior.
Speaker 2: It was like, keep her.
Speaker 3: In an apartment, put some pink on the walls, fine, But the idea that she's now in this lavish kind of it's like, Okay, so she's not not learning anything, you know, she's not having to adapt to anything.
Speaker 1: No, she's making New York adapt to her.
Speaker 3: Right, which again I'm not a huge fan of for changing the character. But anyway, So she's in her new pink wallpaper room. She says good night to boy, who lays down in his bed. The wall bed then retracts, and now she's stuck between the wall and the bed where she's killed and they find her six months later.
Speaker 2: Now she actually screams her boy to help.
Speaker 1: But that is knowing about Murphy beds. That is my number one Like, but what happens if this bring.
Speaker 2: Like what it's it's.
Speaker 3: You, You're I'm I don't I know you're not supposed to say a woman's weight, but you're what eighty five ninety pounds.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna lift your bed up.
Speaker 1: I love you will for saying that, shautie pie, Well.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna lift you up when it's got almost one hundred pounds on it.
Speaker 2: Like it's just not good.
Speaker 1: But it's like, I don't know, I just it just seems like it's it's impossible for that to stay down. It does for the springs. This locks, it locks, it locks. I don't know that would be a worry if you, No, Lie, I've always actually wanted one of those, like I've always thought about, like an apartment like that in New York like I had a girlfriend that lived there, she was one of my story sisters, and I went and like she had what felt like the coolest inventions of how she was able to store her all her clothes, because I was thinking, like, Josie, you probably have like no clothes right, like you've got like five outfits or whatever. It's like, oh no, I can't wait to show you. She had the coolest stuff that she bought from wherever. I've always like imagined like those kinds of things. That'd be so cool to have a bed that life think molded back up. It's so cool.
Speaker 3: The oak Wood that all the kids stayed at in California in Los Angeles out here, I think they had one room, one or two rooms you could get that had Murphy beds for like if you were really struggling as an actor and.
Speaker 2: He needed that kind of thing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it's the next morning now, Sharpay's in a new pink dress with the matching pink hat and pearls, looking at herself in the mirror.
Speaker 2: When Peyton knocks on the door, He's.
Speaker 3: Stunned by the fully renovated all pink room and starts filming her again. He asked her if she's on her way to meet the new casting director, and she corrects him she's on her way to change theater history. Peyton asks if he can tag along in film, and Sharpay is of course excited by the idea. Not many people can say they film the creation of a legend, and so they head out. Now in the crowded theater, Sharpey walks in holding Boy and makes her way to Jerry Taylor. He's excited to see her. Her timing is perfect. He wonders if three pm tomorrow works, he'll send her the musical number before and she just needs to make sure Boy is well groomed. And she's confused and says, wait what. Jerry clarifies it's the dog they want to audition. He was amazing in the show. Sharpay screams, what is he talking about? Jerry swears he sent her all the information, didn't The title.
Speaker 2: Of the music will give you the indication. It's called a Girl's Best Friend.
Speaker 3: Sharpey thought she was auditioning for the girl, but in reality they just want boy as the best friend. He apologizes for the confusion, and Sharpey runs out of the theater, clearly upset, Peyton follows close behind her and tells her to slow down. She has no idea why she came all this way. Planet was to live in a penhouse and star on Broadway and plan B. She doesn't have a Plan B. What is she supposed to tell her dad? Peyton says, to look at.
Speaker 2: It this way. Boy is her dog and he has an amazing opportunity. She should be happy for him.
Speaker 3: She can't just give up, So Sharpey gives in Fine a star new movie.
Speaker 2: Change of strategy. Great.
Speaker 3: If Boy becomes a success, everyone will know her too. After all, she's in his entourage and the one holding his leash. His fame will ultimately lead to her fame. Peyton rightfully says, that's a little selfish, but she's heading in the right direction. So now we're at the audition. The next day, we got our next song. When Sharpey performs My Boy and Me with Boy who nails the audition?
Speaker 2: What do you think of track two?
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna s this out loud because we've talked kind of going back. I didn't like any of the music. I didn't like any of the songs. I'm gonna be honest with you, I don't remember any of them. I wasn't tapping my toe along with any of them. I thought the last one, I think it's the last one, was okayish, but compared to but only compared to the other ones.
Speaker 2: Like the rest of the songs, I just I didn't like any of this, the.
Speaker 1: Last one being like her like kind of monologue that he.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, I hated it, or the.
Speaker 1: Or the very last one where she's in a production the very.
Speaker 3: Last one where she's in the production is fine, yes, fine, The one before the monology one.
Speaker 2: I hated that song. I was like, what was it?
Speaker 3: There's no there was no it wasn't a catchy hook, there was no refrain. It was like, what the hell is the song?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And since we're going to talk about it, I was going to wait till the end. This is the thing about Ashley Tisdale and what she brought to Sharpey. To me, it was the comedy of the music that really made her song stand out. The fabulous and how she did the song and like all of that and the characterization that she did like it wasn't that. So then when you take that away from the music, like even the first song wasn't the Fabulous Times too in my opinion, But also Kenny's not there, so we're not We're also not getting the visuals right right that were wanting that made her shine, like we're not getting either of the of the Yeah, so this music was just I mean, you know, I mean, I loved I loved walking on Sunshine with Ali and aj. Yeah, we do love that.
Speaker 2: Good needle drop.
Speaker 3: But anyway, when the song ends, the writer and director run on stage. That's the best audition they've ever seen. That's one special dog. But there's one audition they have to see. Sharpay and Boy are forced to sit in the front row by angry union members and watch a kid and his cocker spaniel in a purple polka dot dress.
Speaker 2: Take the stage.
Speaker 3: This is Roger Ellison the Third, a Broadway vet, and his dog Countess. When Boy locks his eyes with him, they immediately fall in love. And this was the best part of the movies. The two dogs fallow.
Speaker 1: All right, we got well, we got him, we got it. I went went that dog. Yeah, I will say too though it was one of my screens. Watching this dog do these tricks was adorable, Like I love it. I loved it as far as that the song itself was whatever, but the little doggie doing the tricks was just.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, it was fine.
Speaker 3: I just loved dogs when they There's just none of this was as whimsical as the high school.
Speaker 1: Musicals, but it wasn't. I know.
Speaker 3: The audition begins and Roger can really sing or sit whoever singing for Roger can really sing. The Countess is a super cutie and also a pro. Did you prefer Roger and Countess to.
Speaker 1: Didn't I put sharpai clearly one that clearly there was no let's put them and see how they're doing, and no.
Speaker 2: That yeah, I agree for.
Speaker 3: When the audition ends, the writer and director again run on stage, saying that was actually the best audition they've ever seen. Then musical superstar Amber Lee pops out wildly impressed and she loves boy Sharpey introduces herself as a mega fan, and Amber says she's going to tweet about her right now, which is.
Speaker 2: A real look at twenty.
Speaker 3: In a deadlock, they decide they'll work with both dogs during rehearsal to see which one Amber works with best, and as they leave, Amber tells Sharpey she's such a good singer, and has her assistant give Sharpay her number if there's anything she needs. Girls got to stick together, and Sharpey can't believe it.
Speaker 2: We're now outside the theater.
Speaker 3: Sharpei tells Peyton that Boy is going to get the part because she doesn't do rejection. Then Roger runs over. He just wants to wish her and Boy luck. Then suggests they just give up now, but they still have their dignity. Sharpey says, Boy is cuter than Countess. That's kind of true, and he bored her to death. They bick her back and forth, and the competition has begun. As they both walk away, Boy and Countess look back at each other lovingly, and this is the best movie I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: I love dogs.
Speaker 3: Back at the Sharpay's pack up apartment, she's practicing tricks with Boy, swearing she's not gonna let some hobbit and his dogs steal the part. Peyton is still filming, so Sharpey asks if she has to record everything. He says yes, because this is his shot. Like his grandma used to say, God only published one book, but it did pretty well for him. I've never heard that saying before, which I like that that's saying if I'm honest, But so God must have had a bad book agent, because I've never heard say it was a good saying.
Speaker 2: We're back at the theater.
Speaker 3: Gill and Neil, the writer and director, welcome everyone to the first rehearsal of their new Broadway musical, A Girl's Best Friend. They introduce Amberley Adams and the guys explain that they're starting with Boy in the dog role, which Sharpey rubs in Roger's face. Boy and Countess continue to look at each other lovingly, which up writing in a boys first seen and sharpay perfectly cues him on the stage.
Speaker 2: A star is born.
Speaker 3: Now they try it with Countess, who takes it a step further by dragging her carrier onto the stage and jumping into it for some perfect improv. In the end, Neil tells both dogs good work, and they go.
Speaker 2: On a break.
Speaker 3: We then later see Roger sneaking into Amber's dressing room with a container full of rock chicken cutlets. He grabs a pair of her heels and rubs the meat all over her shoes.
Speaker 2: Can't even raw chicken get dogs sick. I mean that's fine, Yes, they can. I actually chicken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even cook chicken, like if you cook a chicken and give it to a dog, your dog with prime thrower.
Speaker 3: Well, chicken, a little bits of chicken is fine, but you don't want to it's the bones that that's bad for the chicken. So regular regular chicken, like breast is fine for dogs. Shred it, but that's you don't want to know the bones, but raw chicken.
Speaker 2: Never do that.
Speaker 3: But he grabs a pair of her heels and rubs the meat all over her shoes, so that when we see Amber rehearsing later, boy is slobbering all over her marinated feet. Amber demands boy get off hers, so kil immediately replaces boy with Countess in the scene, Roger with a guilty smile, shrugs at Sharpei, Ah, what can you do?
Speaker 2: She shocked?
Speaker 3: But why wouldn't Countess also be licking the shoes because they.
Speaker 2: Didn't like.
Speaker 1: What I thought?
Speaker 2: Yes, but they did. Roger with the guilty smile, shrugs at Sharpey, Hey, what can you do? She is shocked.
Speaker 3: And then when it's time for Countess to enter, we hear a dog whistle, which is impossible because you can't ever hear a dog whistle, and at Sharpey hiding in the theater, Countess stops and starts spinning in circles. Everyone is confused because they correctly can't hear the whistle, and Gil brings Boy back on stage. Roger sees Sharpey crouch in the seat with the whistle and mimics him, Sorry, what can you do? So when they run the scene again, Boy enters with Roger on the other side of the stage. He releases a cat. He brings a giant cat in and Boy immediately runs after it, completely blowing the scene again. Countess does not. Gil tells everyone to take ten and Sharpay and Roger clash once again. After some words, they linger on stage death staring at each other, looking to see who will break first. Meanwhile, during some alone Doggy rest Amber finds Boy and Countess in a dressing room and closes the door. And this is where we see her true color. She becomes weirdly territorial and aggressive, warning the pooches this is her show and she's going to figure out a way to get rid of them, even insinuating she's going to kill them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, jesus, it got dark real fast. Yeah, got so I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Even if you're not like a dog lover, how are you looking at these two cute little faces? Tell me you're gonna.
Speaker 2: You're gonna die? Like, oh my god, yike.
Speaker 1: Amper wow. Definitely not a joint, Yeah, because Kenny would never know well.
Speaker 3: And also this one, the Cheeta girls should have shown up. They should have sung the dogs out on the stage. It would have Yeah, save a dog's life. You get cheated girls to sing to them. Everybody knows that.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Everyone.
Speaker 2: Sharpay's dad tries to video chatter.
Speaker 3: Later in Sharpay's apartment, she freaks out because she thinks he's living in a penthouse, which we think he's still paying for it twenty seven thousand dollars a month. Peyton grabs a computer and they both run out into the apartment and run into another room with a big window looking out into the sky, which again doesn't really make any sense because if she's redone her whole apartment pink, why can't you just pick a pink wall and be like, hi, daddy, Yeah, okay. When she answers the call, her dad comments on the beautiful view and asks how the show is going.
Speaker 2: She says it's complicated, but it'll work out.
Speaker 3: He reminds her of their deal. She has two weeks left to get into the show. She assures him that everything's going to be fine, but now realizes Boy has to get the role.
Speaker 2: Sharpei needs a crushing advantage over Roger, but Peyton thinks she should just trust Boy's talent and let Fate take it from there. Sharpey can't trust fate. Some matters you just have to take in your own hands.
Speaker 3: Sharpey that enters Amber's dressing room just after the Broadway star fires her assistant for not getting her a bottle of water because she was hit by a bike messenger. Amber compliments Sharpei but also calls her Sharpie. Sharpei asked about the assistant, and Amber of course lies, saying she quit. Sharpei offers to help until she finds a new assistant, but it can't affect her decision on which dog gets the starring role.
Speaker 2: She couldn't live with herself if she ended up unfair Wink wink.
Speaker 3: Amber says, of course it won't, then asks Sharpay to make her a dinner reservation for her and get her mike adjusted by the sound guy. We're now backstage. Sharpei delivers the audio equipment and explains that the wire is hurting Amber's scalp, but she thinks it's probably just her shampoo. The sound guy looks at her and says, you're hot. She's offended, but he meant that her mic.
Speaker 2: It's how he says it too. He meant that her mic is hot. The entire theater just heard her insult Amber.
Speaker 3: Sharpey says she could have led with that, then says Amberlee is a great scalp and walks away. We're now out in New York streets. Sharpey tells Peyton about her new position as Amber's assistant, and Peyton thinks this is a very bad idea. Sharpey says it's perfect because they'll become BFFs. Boy will get the role, and then his fame will become her fame. Everything is turning out better than she could possibly have imagined. We're back in Sharpey's pink Nightmare Layer. She's sleeping and awoken by her phone. She picks it up and immediately says.
Speaker 2: Sure, be right over.
Speaker 3: Then that's what we get to Amber's beautiful apartment. All these people are wealthy, and the emergency was that she couldn't reach her purse in the closet.
Speaker 2: Sharpey can't believe it, but Amber says, oh no, that was just a little test.
Speaker 3: Only a true friend would come over at this hour and help you with something like that. Sharpay smiles, so I passed. Amber says yes, but then actually makes Sharpey get the purse. The next morning, Sharpei is holding all of Amber's stuff just as a limo arrives to pick up her new boss. Sharpey tells her not to forget her photo shoot, and Amber says Sharpei is now also her stylist.
Speaker 2: She then drives off.
Speaker 3: We're back at Sharpay's apartment and she's getting to work on highlighting amberscript, but from across the way, Peyton asks her if she wants dinner, but she can't go she has to keep highlighting Amber's hair. Later, after highlighting her script, Peyton misses spending time with her and shooting her for his film. She then snaps him in a little bit and says, what she's doing is important too. Again, you're right, like how this guy is just eating from her day after day and asking for seconds.
Speaker 2: It's not great.
Speaker 1: There needed to be a moment where she needed help with something and he's like no, yeah, no, yeah, I'm busy. Yeah, I'm having to re edit because you have now bounced on me and not helped me at all.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to find something else.
Speaker 3: I might fail out of school, something yeah, something, yeah. But he instead just points out to her that she's starting to sound a bit like Amberley and speak of the Devil. Later Amberley's dressing room, Sharpei drops off a bunch of things, and Amber reveals that her maid also quit. So here's a new list of chores for her. Sharpay nervously questions chores. That's when Amber changes the subject. She wants to talk about boy, but it'll have to stay between them. She's gonna ask the director to give boy the part. Uh huh. Sharpay's excited and promises she won't be sorry. Then Amber hands are the chor list talk about manipulation. Later in Amber's apartment, we get well a series of chores. You know, I love a montage, but this wasn't.
Speaker 2: A good one.
Speaker 3: Sharpey's attempting to do laundry, even though she's never done it before, so she just throws a bunch of detergent in and presses start.
Speaker 2: Actually, she just presses all the buttons. She also tries to clean the toilet with the handle.
Speaker 3: Who the heck would do that? Even if you've never done this before. You can't tell the handle from the brush. Part come on, and the brush gets tangled in her hair. We're now back in the theater. The stage manager hands Roger a script with changes and asks him to get the pages to sharpay, especially because Boy is doing the first run through. Roger that little taint, says he's more than having to help, but instead he just goes outside and throws the pages in the trash.
Speaker 2: What he is? We are now back on the stage.
Speaker 3: Amberlee is rehearsing and Boy runs out from the wrong side. The director reveals they change the blocking and wonders what happened. Amber has had enough? What is wrong with this dog? Boy runs off to Sharpey and the director calls for a ten minute break. The stage manager says they sent out the script changes, but Boy didn't follow them. Sharpei reveals she never got the pages, and she realizes this is Roger's fault. She confronts him, and Roger hardly hides that he did it on purpose. They argue about whose dog is better, but when they look down, both dogs are gone. They sprint around the theater calling for the pups. Has anybody seen them? Sharpey calls Peyton to tell him that the dogs are missing and to look around in the apartment just in case they show up again. He's there to help her, even though she's awful to him. Roger wonders if they push them too hard and just hopes they aren't huddled up in a corner somewhere, afraid, lost and fighting.
Speaker 2: Then we're in a corner somewhere.
Speaker 3: The two dogs are sitting on a pile of trash, and a cover of the song Baby by Justin Bieber plays. Why are they on trash? Is it because dogs like garbage? Is that what it's supposed to be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Why Why do they not have them on a park bench or in the park? Why are they sitting on a giant mount of garbage?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I didn't understand that.
Speaker 2: I didn't either, Okay, I mean, is.
Speaker 1: It because in New York, like you know, the trash gets like put on like the street, like is it that? Like?
Speaker 3: I don't know, So why are they there? Why why wouldn't they they then show them on this great date? So why do they start them in trash?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. Did you rep my question was? This was one of the did you recognize the song? No, the Justin Bieber song Baby?
Speaker 2: No, that's never heard Justin Bieber song in my life.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean I just did apparently her baby, but I'm not and oh no, I take that back. Susan insists on playing one Christmas song he does every year. She has a Christmas list for when she's decorating the tree, and that's one and it's like nine songs on a loop.
Speaker 2: That's one of the songs justin.
Speaker 1: You got to get one of the Cheata girls on that loop.
Speaker 2: Did the Cheeta girls do a chris My song Christmas South?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, that was your question.
Speaker 2: How did they hire the horse drawn carriage? No?
Speaker 1: It was. I wonder if Will recognizes this song, and if he recognizes that it's a cover of this song, like it's not even the justin Bieber voice. So that was my I was.
Speaker 3: I was wondering, that's out how the two dogs paid for the horse drawn carriage.
Speaker 2: That's what I was thinking the whole time. I'm like, how do they what?
Speaker 1: Well, it's like the two dogs are on a date. You gotta just go with it.
Speaker 2: But I but you know what, I'm sorry. I I was.
Speaker 1: Ready for them to be doing the spaghetti noodle together.
Speaker 2: That's what That's what I was going to say. Do it.
Speaker 3: Do a I'm not to rewrite it, but I'm going to do a New York dog date. Meaning like they're standing out in the in an alley and it turns out that's where they throw out old pizza, and when the pizza comes out, the two dogs share a slice of pizza. And then they go from there to the park where they run around and they chase each other in the park and don't have them where they need money.
Speaker 1: It's like, if they were going to be in the carriage, there should have been like a little thing on the back that they like hopped on the yes.
Speaker 2: The carriage. Yeah, but this guy was like, I'm gonna take these two dogs on a cat really, And then we see of course, boy kissing countess as they stroll through the city. That's great, that's fine. Kiss on the first day.
Speaker 3: We're now outside the theater. Sharpei asked, what if we never see them again. Roger assures her they're smart dogs, smarter than we are.
Speaker 2: They'll be Okay. Sharpay's phone rings, it's her dad, but she can't deal with them right now.
Speaker 1: And then Sharpay's phone rings, it's boy.
Speaker 2: It's boy. Yeah, hey, come pick me up. We got arrested for not paying the guy who took us around the city. And mom, yeah, we're in jail. We're in dog jail.
Speaker 3: No, but he's Peyton once again. Good looking Peyton got both dogs in his arms. They came back to his apartment. Sharpay and Roger are so excited. Now, see I think he was if they weren't, If he wasn't there when they showed up at the apartment where there to get busy.
Speaker 2: God's what it was. Mom's gone, let's just turn on your heart light, let it shine, whatever it goes exactly.
Speaker 3: H Sharpey Roger are so excited, but quickly returned to competition. But now they're a little more playful about it.
Speaker 2: There's kind of a smile. Now we're in Sharpay's apartment.
Speaker 3: Peyton is filming again and wonders if she is so lost in what she's doing that she hadn't noticed it. Boy and Countess are in love. At first, Sharpay denies the possibility, but then admits he's right. How could she not notice puppy love? Peyton says there's a lot she hasn't noticed. M like him, She hasn't had any time for him, and he was counting on her to finish the film.
Speaker 2: But I think he meant he wanted her. She says things have been complicated, but Peyton breaks it to her.
Speaker 3: Amber Lee is using her Sharpey has no idea what he's talking about, but he asks where the career determined Sharpey has gone.
Speaker 2: She sold her soul to get Boy into the show. Sharpay snaps it him.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's just jealous because she's on her way up with a new famous friend and he's just a student making a film about somebody else's life.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 3: He's hurt and reminds her she doesn't have to be in his movie and then walks out.
Speaker 2: Then Sharpay's phone rings.
Speaker 3: We cut to Amber Lee's apartment, Sharpey a is signing Amber Lee's autographs on headshots.
Speaker 2: Don't ever have somebody else sign your stuff.
Speaker 3: Amber tells her to invite as many people from her fan club as possible to opening night dress rehearsal. She wants the theater filled with people who love her as much as Sharpai does. Amber asks, you know it'll be great after all this work a long, luxurious spaath. Sharpey says, thank you, that sounds amazing, but Amberlee meant just for her. She then instructs her assistant run one for me, will you, then throws more headshots at Sharpai to sign We're now back at Sharpei, She's sitting with boy and longingly looking over Peyton's window.
Speaker 2: And sighs, hmmm. She knows she's lost.
Speaker 3: The next day, in Amberlee's dressing room, the director and writer are frustrated, announcing to the star this is a big change, but Amber isn't phased. Sharpei discreetly stops at the door to listen in. The writer reminds Amber that the show is called A Girl's Best Friend, but Amber doesn't want them to change the title. The writer argues, but you want the best friend written out? Amber thinks about it, Oh, right, then change the title. The director doesn't understand how they get rid of one of the main characters. A day before the dress rehearsal, Amber says the audience is coming to see her, and if they don't change the dog's part to just debark and a playing dead, she won't go on. The MutS are bothering her almost as much as their disposable owners. Sharpey is still listening outside the door when Amber reveals she even had one of them clean her toilet even more embarrassing. She thinks she's an actress, and with that, Sharpay starts crying.
Speaker 2: Watch again. She doesn't really and walks away. She tries to start crying, Hey.
Speaker 3: As an actor, I'm one of those people. I can't cry on cue. I need to build up. I can't just cry on cue. So she cries in a later scene, but that one she tries it doesn't work. Outside Sharpay's apartment building, a sad Sharpei runs into Peyton and tells him everything he said was right. Maybe her dad was right. She's not ready for this. Did she really think she was just gonna come to Broadway to be a star.
Speaker 2: Peyton says, yes she did, because that's how she thinks.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm thinking about. It Cut that whole thing about her not crying. It's just hacking, bashing on her acting, and.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: Peyton says, yes she did, because that's how she thinks, and it's perfect and if it helps, she still looks adorable even when she's disappointed.
Speaker 2: She says that doesn't help.
Speaker 3: Peyton comforts her by saying there's not a marquee big enough or lights bright enough to contain the fame she's going to have. She knows she's sacrificed integrity for opportunity, but worst of all, she's disappointed someone she cares about. I think she means Peyton. Peyton wonders, other than maid service in a canopy bed, what is it that you want? She says, I want you, and then the music starts batch out.
Speaker 2: But don't know, that's not what happened. I liked your version better, She says.
Speaker 3: I want a fair fight, a lifetime in the spotlight, and maybe you'll still let me be in your movie. Peyton smiles, I guess, and she puts her head on his shoulder. Back in the theater, Sharpey grabs Roger to alert him Amber Lee isn't who he thinks, and he guesses a self absorbed, two faced panther who would eat her young alive on a reality show rather than allow anyone to steal her spotlight, and spe admits, Okay, she is what you think. Sharpeye tells him that Amber wants the dogs written off, and Roger screams that's not fair. Now they need to form an alliance and work together against Amber Lee. Since tonight is the first dress rehearsal with an audience, it'll be filled with members of Amber's fan club, so they need to show people exactly who she is. He likes the way she thinks and is down for anything. It's manipulative, but for a good cause. On the side of the stage now, Sharpey arrives and Amber wonders where she's been. She's been trying to reach her all day. Sharpey says her phone must have been off, and Amber is offended. Without asking me first, Sharpay just wanted to wish her good luck. She knows Amber chose Countess for the performance and she's fine. With that, Amberlee explains, well, it's nothing personal, but your phone was shut off so I couldn't talk to you about it. I guess that won't happen again, will it. Sharpey says, We're good. They awkwardly hug and mid embrace. Sharpey turns her mic pack.
Speaker 2: On oh, a call back from when she was hot.
Speaker 3: And now we look at the theater. It is filled with Amber fans. You could tell because they're all wearing shirts. The writer and director take the stage and introduce the show, while backstage, Roger lets out both Countess and boy who run to Amber backstage. And now I have a question, which you might know, because you know this world better than I do.
Speaker 2: Is this a real thing?
Speaker 3: Like? I know, dress rehearsals are obviously a real thing. But do the writer and director get on stage and announce everything? Don't they just do a dress rehearsal like they would a regular show?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Not.
Speaker 1: I mean if it was like a dress rehearsal, it would be like think because you would be like friends and family, like you would be like thank you, guys, like you put a lot of work into this. We hope you love it, you know, gotcha here for the first time.
Speaker 3: Is I don't know the Broadway thing that well, so that okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Then I don't know how often they do this, though full dress a Broadway that would be the dream, But I don't know how often they do this. Like, but I would imagine for a brand new show, when you're inviting like a friends and family type thing, like a first look, Yeah, you'd have the people get up on stage that I.
Speaker 3: Will guarantee to you, and you'll probably be like, oh, yeah, we talked about it. I will guarantee you somewhere at some level they talked about doing Cheatah Girls on Broadway. I will guarantee you somewhere in the Disney realm they talked about it, and it's perfect. It lends itself perfectly to Broadway. You know that conversation happened in some room at Disney where they were like, you know, this could be a Broadway show one hundred percent that happened. Yeah anyway, Uh yeah, they take the stage. Roger lets out both countess and boy who run to amber. Backstage amber breaks screaming for someone to control these wanna be werewolves, and with the hot mic on the audience can hear it all. She yells, this is why she didn't want to do a show with dogs, because she's the star.
Speaker 2: She wants someone to put.
Speaker 3: These rats with rabies out of their misery and calls the stage manager an idiot for taking too long. Sharp Pay signals for the curtain to go up, revealing Amber, who continues to freak out and ridicule her fans who heard everything she just said. Everyone starts booing, and she runs off stage. Sharpay is waiting for her backstage. Obviously, I knew I forgot to tell you something careful.
Speaker 2: Your MIC's on.
Speaker 3: Amber knows Sharpei did this, but Sharpay tells Amber she did it to herself. She explains, I idolized you even more than myself, which is an easy But you're not all You're not at all what I thought you were. Amber Lee tells Sharpey that they are exactly alike. Sharpe says, except she doesn't use people to feel better about herself. Amber quits right on the spot and walks out without her. There isn't a show. Sharpey apologizes, but somebody had to say it. The director says he'll try to talk some sense into amber and kick Sharpei out of his theater. Sharpey starts to leave, but Roger calls out to her, if you go, then I'll go. But no, she convinces him to stay. He deserves it. They hug and the enemies have become friends.
Speaker 1: I Love it.
Speaker 3: Later, at Sharpay's apartment, Sharpey, here's a knock at the door and it's Peyton. He asks if she's really leaving, and she says yes, but she wishes she wasn't. She's moving home where there's enough room for her pores to open, where she can spend months in the spa, get in the New York, crime off her skin, and she'll mostly just miss him.
Speaker 2: He asks about her dream of being a star, and she says it wasn't really, it wasn't reality.
Speaker 3: She moved exactly one month ago and her time is up tonight, but Peyton points out she still has eight hours. Her phone rings. It's the stage manager. They need her at the theater to clear out boys things. Peyton says he can go with her if she wants, and she does. At the theater, the director is telling the cast that without a star, they can't open the time it would take to find someone who can learn the role and do it well, would take weeks and cost too much. Isn't that what understudies are for? And doesn't every show have one thing? And then Sharpey and Peyton arrive. The writer and director thanked the crew for their hard work, and they apologize everyone is leaving. When Peyton yells out, wait, it's not over. He points out that someone knows the part and is amazing. She might not be a star yet, but she will be. He pulls out his laptop and shows video of Sharpei rehearsing and singing New York's Best Kept Secret while holding boy. It's a big emotional solo. That's really boring and I hated it. What did you think, Sabrina?
Speaker 1: This to me? I mean we were kind of bouncing around. You asked me earlier if I liked the stuff where you just kind of break out or the things that are staged, and like this was like sort of in between the hybrid bit. Yeah, yeah, and it was, you know, I mean it it is the essence of what Sharpei is supposed to be, but it wasn't the big, bubbaly Sharpei. It was just a different work of it, and I I didn't love it. At this point, I'm my bar has just continued to lower as far as like my expected expectations of these musical numbers. So it's kind of like, Okay, I get it, like this is her like Broadway moment is what I'm assuming that this is supposed to be. And I took it for what it was. I didn't hate it. I just didn't like Again, it just was not a song that I that I loved. I didn't love any of the music in this movie.
Speaker 2: I can't remember a single one of the songs.
Speaker 3: I can still hum get Your Head in the Game from the first High School Musical, but I have no idea what any of these songs are.
Speaker 2: And I watched it last night.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm not kidding. And this is not like a disc to Ashley Tisdale and this as far as like her vocal chords or her vocals in it. But truly, the only songs that I remember are the Ally and AJ walking on Sunshine and the Justin Bieber cover.
Speaker 2: Oh Yeah, Ashley and still Killing That Sucks.
Speaker 1: And this I kept thinking too, And this is a question for Lisa. Was this closer or ast like far after when she put out her album, because at this point she.
Speaker 3: Put album in two thousand and seven in this movie was twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this point Ashley has done an album and has golden gold like did music videos for it, became a full blown out album. Oh that she has had done two albums maybe since then or before this. So it's like for me, I'm like, it's like what a what It's like a missed opportunity to like showcase your your talents of the actor that you've hired to do. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I just didn't like the songs. Again, she can clearly sing them, she can perform them, and it doesn't make.
Speaker 1: Sense because they have a wheelhouse of incredible producers and incredible where where were we? Where were we in this movie?
Speaker 2: I agree?
Speaker 1: I agree?
Speaker 3: Yes, so yes, she's singing New York's best kept secret, a holding Boy. The video ends with the writer director saying she has more depth, range, and tone in one note than Amberley has in her entire surgically reshaped body.
Speaker 2: They need her to save the show. Sharpay is flattered. The costumes will need to be taken in a few sizes and everyone needs to get used to hearing the songs on key. Yeah. Two great cuts, two great cuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great line. Yeah, this is great, But there is one condition. Boy and Countess would split the dog roll equally. The director agrees, and now they have a lot of work to do. Sharpay, thanks Peyton, but worries she isn't ready. Peyton promise her she's ready, it's her moment, and.
Speaker 2: Then oh they kiss. That's right. It was a fine kiss. Like even the kiss was kind of like, Okay.
Speaker 1: This is what I wanted to ask as far as the timing, did this movie happen when her best friend's new boyfriend or before they became boyfriend and girlfriend, because that would be sameird.
Speaker 2: So you got to see yeah, who.
Speaker 1: Knows that would be weird to see your best friend kissing a brand new boyfriend or your crush that you're not together with.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we know we're timing weird.
Speaker 1: I got weird.
Speaker 2: It was weird.
Speaker 3: Timing, but it was but again, it was a fine kiss coming off like a slum slumber party kiss, which we loved, and the what we saw something else too.
Speaker 2: We're like, oh, good kiss. Yeah, this was this was fine. This was fine.
Speaker 1: This was fine.
Speaker 2: That's that's kind of the word for this movie. This movie was fine anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so uh now it's and by the way, nothing creepy at all about a fifty year old man talking about all the different dcom vases.
Speaker 2: Anyway, drop my job.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, you not you did a lot of kissing in your day on the channel or well on on ABC. You know it's like you did, know, like you had to do this a lot. Oh yeah, as much as I've done dancing. And I'm that you're kind of like you get to.
Speaker 3: Rate without a being is Yeah, definitely and kidding and I was. I was second to Right or Strong who did it even way more than I did.
Speaker 2: So yeah, crazy, true, crazy.
Speaker 1: That's true. Maybe we should have a segment one day with Ryder Judges the kiss great idea.
Speaker 2: That's what we're gonna have to do.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to have Ryder Strong, come on, Judge the team kisses. Great idea that's coming up. That's a brilliant idea, Sabrina. That's gonna happen for our for our award show. We're gonna have Rider Strong give the best award.
Speaker 1: There we go h.
Speaker 3: It is now the sold out opening night of a girl's best friend. Sharpay's faces all over the posters throughout the theater. We see your parents in the audience, meeting Peyton. The lights dim, and the show begins with Sharpay and Boy singing the rest of My Life. And this was the one that was the best of the movie. Frankly, I thought, do you agree?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, out of all of them, yes, this would be the best one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Still still second to walk on.
Speaker 2: Oh, exact, exact from all and a of course agreed.
Speaker 3: The song ends and we get a close up of Sharpay and Boy, and that's our.
Speaker 2: Movie, okay.
Speaker 3: Post credits, there was supposed to be a scene of her brother, Brian Evans played by high school musical legend Lucas Grabio, in a cameo appearance, visiting Sharpay in New York and congratulating her, but it wasn't in the Disney Plus cut, so it was they shot it. It was seen in the Disney Channel version, but for some reason they didn't put it on the.
Speaker 2: Disney Plus version, so he was in the original Disney.
Speaker 3: Channel version as an after scene. Also the idea and I get it's an extra on the DVD. But the idea that we never get to see this movie, that this guy's been shooting the whole time is insane to me. I was like, all right, so I'm waiting for She doesn't believe in herself. She doesn't know how to look at herself. She looked and he's like, let me see. Let me show you what I see and he cuts together this amazing movie and she's like, oh my god, I love you and kisses him.
Speaker 2: How do you buckle that layup? It's like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: We don't ever get a chance to see it, and it's an extra on a Maybe I mean that might have been one of their selling points for the DVD. It's like, if you want to see the movie, it's an extra, so you sell it. But that's kind of a cheat when it comes to the movie. It's like, show the movie.
Speaker 2: This guy's been shooting inside the movie this whole time, or part of.
Speaker 1: It, because he's the this whole movie of it is what actually saves the day. But all we saw was like number. We didn't see that the evolution as Sharpey from the day she got into New York to what she is now over this last month like that's the winner. That's what gets people to fall in love with her and gets her hired for this show.
Speaker 2: Not just one number, but that's that one. I was like, how do we not get to see this? But anyway it is Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know they actually they actually thought of that. This is a fund to bit when in the Cheetah Girls too. There's a time definitely in strut where I've got a camera. Yeah, I've got a camera when we first get to Barcelona, and I've got a camera a lot during the movie, and it was an afterthought of you know, it would have been really cool to have Durnta actually filming stuff camera do something with that, like because it was a real camera. Yeah, and it wasn't It wasn't on ever or you know there was that yeah charge always they were like yeah, they were like, that would have actually been a really cool thing to do on the DVD. It wasn't a part of my thing. It was just something that I had all the time. It was like a prop that I had all the time.
Speaker 2: With durrind Division.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that would have been and they didn't think about it until after, So then they didn't have any footage to like, even just like somewhat put that together.
Speaker 2: You've got a character in your movie always carrying a camera. Just turn the camera on.
Speaker 3: Yeah the footage. Who knows what you're gonna do with it. You may do nothing but just turn the camera on. Right, So, yeah, this one was weird. But actually, let's do some real reviews. We know what, we kind of know, we think about it. Let's see what other people think. I've got the one star this week, and it's from Kaiser Holiday okay, and it reads as thus, I created an account just so I could review this movie.
Speaker 2: What a mess.
Speaker 3: It didn't need to be made. Story, boring, acting beyond awful. Zero thought was put into the story in the script, and it shows one star. I think it's overly harsh. But anyway, you've got the five star?
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 1: The five stars actually kind of confusing today because it seems like we're getting in a five star, but then at the end it's kind of like it's fine. I know again, I love it, okay, o Ganley five stars just amazing, the best spinoff. It has tons of puppies and cute dogs in general. The two things wrong in this film is the lack of Ryan Bruh. He's not even in the movie rude. Secondly, the songs are not as bang in as high school musical songs. The only good one is the song at the end, which slaps hard five stars, five stars, five three.
Speaker 2: Star review right there, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, Ganley, which it sounds like a character from Lord of the Rings. We are now coming to Sabrina's favorite portion of the program, of course, where we are doing our future presentation.
Speaker 2: We've got a fun game today.
Speaker 3: First of all, who were playing with you have michayla Hey.
Speaker 2: Michaela, Michaela. There we go, alright, copyright trademark. Thank everyone. Our feature today is called the Government Name Game.
Speaker 3: We can all agree that Sharpey Evans is a great moniker for fame, but not all birth names have the same ready for Broadway status. So we're going to get the legal government names of stars and have to guess what their stage names became.
Speaker 2: For example, Olivia Cockburn is Olivia Wilde, who I believe made a good choice. We'll get to pick from multiple choice options. Three out of five wins. Okay, number one?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, sure, I'm even gonna be able to pronounce this properly. Demitria Guinis. Is that a Cindy Crawford, B. Demi Moore see Halle Berry or D Jada Pinkett Smith.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with mmmm.
Speaker 3: It's either see yeah, I'm gonna say I'll pick first because I think I know mine. Okay, I'm I think it's gonna be Demi Moore, right, Demetria.
Speaker 1: To me, I think it's Jada Pinkett Smith.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna stick with B.
Speaker 1: Demi Moore, will is correct, B Demi Moore.
Speaker 2: Dimitria Demi? I mean I figured, yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Seemed to each too too easy. Demi Levado's first name is Demetria too, so that gave it.
Speaker 2: A Demitrios if it's a pretty name.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's a pretty name. I like Demi as a nickname.
Speaker 2: To tho or is it to me? Number two?
Speaker 3: Eric Bishop? Is that a Bruno Mars, B. Kat Williams see Jamie Fox or D Eddie Murphy. I don't think it's Eddie Murphy because his brother's Charlie Murphy, so I think they're the Murphy's.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh, what do you think?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with Bruno Mars.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna agree with you, a Bruno Mars wrong, it's see Jamie Fox.
Speaker 1: Eric.
Speaker 2: So we're one and one.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't get I didn't get it right. I'm oh in two.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, I'm one and one per us number three, Chloe Hoffman. Is that a Brenda song? B Miley Cyrus see Ariana Grande or d Dove Cameron?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I do know Miley Cyrus is not Okay her real name?
Speaker 2: Oh? I thought you're gonna know that it wasn't Chloe Hoffman.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's not it's not her real name. She has something else, which I'm sure Mikaela or someone will be able to tell us. But I don't know if it's Chloe Hoffman.
Speaker 2: I'm just for the hell of it, just because we just watched one of her movies.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna pick d Dove Cameron, right, But I'm just I'm just picking one.
Speaker 2: No idea.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do Deaf Kevin too, because I don't think it's Aria Grande or Brenda's song.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you're correct, it's Cameron.
Speaker 1: What's Miley Cyrus's name? For an extra point? Destiny Sidney Hope okay, see.
Speaker 2: I mean, but Destiny Hope sounds exactly like a Disney Channel star.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think she changed it legally though. That was like her birth name, and then they called her Smiley Miley and that's how Miley came about. Miley Miley was Yeah that I knew.
Speaker 2: It was like a nickname of some where does Miley come from?
Speaker 1: Just like Smiley, Like she was very Smiley, So they shortened it to Miley Smiley Miley.
Speaker 2: So it just started right.
Speaker 3: Number four. Karen Johnson, I'm just so everybody knows it's Karen. It's c A R y N Karen Jhonnes.
Speaker 1: Never seen Karen. It's felt this way.
Speaker 3: I don't think I have either. Is that a nicky Glazer? B Nicki Minaj? See what be Goldberg or d Oprah Winfrey.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go and see what be Goldberg because that would be Charasee.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Wait.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with be nick Minaj. I'm changing it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with de Oprah Winfrey, Sabrina, it was see Whoopy Goldberg.
Speaker 2: Manberg?
Speaker 1: How does she get there?
Speaker 3: I need the stories you have officially lost. Yeah, and I need this one to win. Okay, so number five Margaret and Hira.
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: Oh Emma Stone, b faith Hill, see Meg Ryan or d Julia Roberts.
Speaker 2: Oh do you know it?
Speaker 1: No? I would assume it'd be Meg Ryan though.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna guess. I'm gonna say maybe Meg Margaret.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I was gonna say Emma Stone. I'm throwing that out there now in case I'm wrong, but I'll go with you see Meg Ryan, because You're right, Margaret and Meg Y with Meg Ryan.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how that. We gotta tell Jensen that, like you really got to come back because things are wapping and weird over here.
Speaker 2: Oh man, can we do a Sabrina Ces please? We can.
Speaker 1: We already talked about that and my one of my first things. As soon as Austin Butler gets on there, it was like Vanessa Hudgens new boo, when is this happening? I don't know. I'm freaked out. Like right from the start, I couldn't get off of it. I already said to my favorite line of the entire movie was closet with a tongue, hands down. We've already gone through so much of this one thing we didn't talk about was when she gets to the audition and then he goes here he explains the audition. I know, obviously this is kind of like a you know, a turn in the storyline, but like, why couldn't there have been an email, a call, a text, a something to know? Like she got there just to be told she had an audition for the next day.
Speaker 3: That felt weird, but he just hands he just hands the paper to an eleven year old kid and is like, now take care of this for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very weird.
Speaker 1: So it was so weird. There was definitely to me. As much as I love the dogs, the like turn of the dogs having their own like b story was kind of a little too much for me. It was kind of like and although they were so cute, but like, you know, the date again with the with the edits, we could have given them, it would have been better, but like it was just kind of like, where are we going with this movie? Now we're in the middle of a dog love story? Like okay, then oh, the chores. I don't know if I had told you this story or not, but when she's doing the chores and then it was like the toilet thing and it was like, you can't even do it. It made me think of the first movie when it's when it gets revealed that I am having to like pay for my Derinda as Bernie Derinda has actually has to work to be able to like pay for her dance lessons and stuff. There's a part where I have a mop and the director called me out. So I had never been so embarrassed on set before. I called me out and was like what cut?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Rina? What do you? What are you doing? And I'm like mopping And they're like he's like have you have you ever done this before? And I was like, no, oz, I have never mopped before.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Do you not know how to?
Speaker 1: Why I was doing?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 1: But it seriously still doesn't seem like it was that hot hard, but like honestly, like who can't even like fake moppy? I was so embarrassed Bill, Like I called my dad. I remember when I got home back to my hotel, going dad, why didn't mom or you ever teach me how to mop? I just got completely embarrassed on stack.
Speaker 2: It seemed like something that needs to.
Speaker 1: Be something I'd have to take, like what that was one of the honestly, still to this day, probably one of the most embarrassing things.
Speaker 2: Imagine.
Speaker 1: I was so little. I was like eighteen, Like I'm mopping right, and he's like, no, you get in there. You have to squeeze it. What do you You're just getting the whole set. So anyway, that killed me. I was like, oh, gosh, I mean, I guess whatever, Okay, this is a question for you. So the first time, which is weird because he to me, was very essential in what I think would have really brought a different aspect to this movie was the absence of Ryan, like her brother. But the first time I actually clicked to me that we were missing him was when she referenced him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hadn't thought about him until that.
Speaker 3: Oh I was I assumed somebody from the high school musical world.
Speaker 1: Somebody someone cameo of nobody, anyone, not a call, not in anything, which was crazy to me, and he would have been obviously the one, but like I didn't. It's weird that I didn't think about him specifically in it, right, like a best friend call to to Vanessa Hudgens, as we heard was done it possibly something happening with her didn't but it was weird.
Speaker 3: It was very like technically the brother was there, we just didn't see it in this verse right.
Speaker 1: Right, And then I asked you about you're justice. Okay, that's it.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: I do hope that one day I do figure out the timeline of this Vanessa and Austin you'll get there.
Speaker 3: Gonna drive me crazy when Vanessa gonna have to google when Austin Butler finally comes on this show.
Speaker 1: He's coming next week, right, I.
Speaker 2: Think we got him next Obviously we don't. For now. It's the time of our program, of course, where we rate the film we just saw. We're gonna do one out of ten.
Speaker 3: We're gonna make ten the middle, We're gonna make one the third from the top, and we're gonna make eight the best one we can do.
Speaker 2: No, let's do tennis the best. That's easy. And our options today.
Speaker 3: Are ten pink purse DVDs for ten dollars, New Mexican fashion shows, matching pink plaid suitcases I know one, and the ones that Sabrina wants one out of ten, closet tongues one out of ten, pink hurricanes fixed, New York Street Games, Dog entourages one out of ten angry Union members, one out of ten marinated feet, or one out of ten. Olivia Cockburns, I think I get to pick this time, and because I know you liked it, it made you laugh, We're gonna do closet tongues this time.
Speaker 2: I also think it's I go first this time you do. This movie was absolutely fine.
Speaker 3: There was nothing really bad about this movie and nothing really good about this movie. This movie was absolutely fine. I will say the good thing is talent of the cast. Yes, you can't watch Ashley Tisdale and not know that she's a star.
Speaker 2: She's obvious.
Speaker 3: Oh wait for the record, Google says they met in two thousand and six, but didn't reconnect until twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Ish okay, so still not sure if they like they're dating and watching your friend Ashley.
Speaker 3: Being mutual friend probably helped. Yeah, he probably got them back into anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, she was such a big fan of I mean, yeah.
Speaker 2: What yes, So this movie was fine.
Speaker 3: With any lesser cast, this would be a five right down the middle. It's not good, it's not bad. It's got a great cast. Like I said, Ashley Tillsdale is a star. You watch her I'm not sure that this character was worthy of a full movie themselves, or or let's put it this way, not this version of it. I would like to have seen a different version of a Sharpay movie with other wacky people around her and crazy as opposed to trying to take pay more mainstream which are strange.
Speaker 2: That being said, great cast, it was what it was.
Speaker 3: I think I'm fair in giving this six closet tongues all the way around. I think that's a fair assessment of this film. I really do.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, and I think what I needed was I need a little bit more familiarity than what we got with this. I needed some of the high school musical OG's to come be a part of it, help her like something I needed. Kenny Ortega, Yeah, I need. I needed something that. And it's not that this director wasn't you know, good, It wasn't that. It's just if it's going to be a spin off of high school musical, I need to feel the high school musical vibe and this movie didn't do that. Sharpay's character wasn't enough to just do that right. She didn't get the stepping stone in that platform of what you would have thought she would have had right, But again it was okay. It was fine. The music, it being a musical spin off from a very big musical franchise of Disney and the music not being the level of high school musical was hard. It was hard to watch for Ashley right, like, for this amazing actress and this gorgeous, wonderful character that we loved. Same thing. I'm giving it like just you know again, had it been anyone else, would have gone down even more. But this is a six point five closet tongues for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think we're I think we're right on the same boat and I agree.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 3: Us for this episode and taking that wild pink ride with us.
Speaker 1: Did love the sets, although you didn't like them. I thought they were cool. They were clueless divees, they were pink. Yeah, a mix between clueless and legally launch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought the same. Loved it.
Speaker 1: I think that I'm so down for that. I love that whole situation, thought the Sesson.
Speaker 2: And uh, never forget this.
Speaker 3: We have an insane amount of past episodes, both recaps and interviews with Disney legends, all available to stream at any moment. Just sitting on our dedicated Magical Rewind feed, So go to wherever you get your podcasts and search for Magical Rewind and subscribe. That way, you'll never miss another episode. Thanks everybody, we'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye bye,