Speaker 1: Welcome one and all to the hemb A Territory Podcast. My name is Sean Coleman. Hope, wherever you are and wherever you are listening, you are having a great night and a great week. Hopefully it's not involving watching the Braves so far this week, but you know that's where we are. For some of us, like Stephen, we could be anxiously awaiting the upcoming documentary on Travis Kelsey and Taylor Swift's wedding now that they are officially with. For others it may be something else. But we are excited tonight because yes, I'm with one of the best when it comes to breaking down the Braves. I'm a podcast partner, Stephen Tolbert. But we also have a legend in the house, one of the best when it comes to breaking down the Braves for two decades now, and that is Chris Willis. Don't mean to make you old, but the point you feel old, But the point is how long you've been impacting those of us who enjoys Braves content. Chris is the editorial manager for ESB Nations baseball coverage with Vox Media, and also, just to be completely honest, he played an integral role in all four of the members of a Hammer Territory coming into Braves content at some point in time over the past decade plus, so we're always very happy to welcome him to the show and interact with him. Chris, pleasure to have you, sir man.
Speaker 2: That's a heck of an intro. No, it's good to see you, guys. I appreciate you to having me on. It's been a long time, you know, so I'm really excited for this.
Speaker 1: And we're glad to have you. Wish it was under better circumstances to talk Braves baseball, you know, that's the great part of Hammer Territory. We're to cover it, you know, no matter how bad, are good. But the Braves unfortunately have been mixing it up when it comes to losses, losing different ways, and the latest is they've just decided to get blown out a time or two, you know, within a week's time frame, and that's what happened on Tuesday night, And unfortunately, we're gonna cover the past two games where they've lost in different fashions. But that's what we're here to do, is we mix it up. Engineered by Fastenov. So unfortunately this is the point that we are at, Steven, is that, yes, the Braves won the two first games of the series against the Mets on Friday and Saturday, but then in two of the past three games they suffered blowouts and then one of the more frustrating losses of the year on Monday night. Yeah, Sunday they've got blown out. Monday Night really frustrating. They didn't lost, and then tonight just had no chance. Let's look at both of the recent games that were lost as the series finale against the Mets as well as tonight against Pittsburgh, and let's start with tonight against Pittsburgh. Brace just did not have a chance. Ryan O'Hearn decided to turn into the enhanced version of Shoheo Tani and for one night only, and Hirst and Waldrup just did not have an answer, but all kidding to sign. One takeaway from this is that the Braves hoped that hirston Waldrop will be their latest band aid for a better way to you know put it, to potentially try to keep this staff together until they might be able to add external help over the next month. But it's proven to not be the case. Unfortunately, Hirst Waldrup is the latest example of an unreliable internal option for a team trying to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, you know, I think Alex Adoplis would tell you in an honest moment that Heirston Waldrip came up at the speed he did out of necessity. I don't think he came up out of That's exactly the track they wanted him to take. I think anybody who's paying attention to his rehab assignments saw a pretty, you know, questionable amount of shaky command. You know, he had something like twelve walks in fifteen innings or something like that in his rehab assignments, and unfortunately we've seen that carry over into the.
Speaker 4: Major league club.
Speaker 3: He's got like eight walks and ten innings, a couple hit by putt. No, I think it's ten walks and ten innings and a couple hit by pitches. Obviously tonight was.
Speaker 4: The home run ball.
Speaker 3: It is just another example of the Braves are kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel right now of starting pitching options and chriss where I'm gonna get your opinion, It does seem like, you know, this something we talked about a lot on the show. Of the summer or I'm sorry, over the winter.
Speaker 4: Was the Braves.
Speaker 3: Even though they have a lot of names, potential starters, they had a lot of question marks. They had a lot of injury question marks, they had a lot of production question marks. And unfortunately, as the season has progressed, those questions have just gotten bigger and bigger, bigger. And it seems to me, and I want to get your opinion that herston waldrip is just kind of another example of where the Braves have been operating out of necessity more than operating out of desire, and we've kind of run into a point where they probably have somebody in a pitching in a pitching spot in the rotation that probably needs to be in Triple A that they really can't afford to have them in Triple A at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agree with you one hundred percent. I think in a perfect world, Walter would have got more more lead time at Triple A to try to get home this uh you know, dial in the command and stuff. And I mean, I think you're right. I mean, Brad's got off to this great start this season. I think they exceeded I mean they were kind of an afterthought. You know, coming in, if you looked at all the predictions and playoff odds and stuff like that, you know, it seemed like they might be fighting with the Marlins for third place in the in the Mets and the Phillies running away from with the division. But you know, they came out of the gate smoking and a lot of it was the pitching staff that had so many questions marks it seemed Bryce Elder was excellent. Uh, you know, Spencer Strider was coming back. We were hoping to see Spencer swelling Bach and then you know he he still hasn't throw a pitch this year. But you had guys like Bryce Elder and Martine Perez that really just you know, filled the gap in there. And now you know, as the season it was, it was always going to be hard for them to maintain that through a full season, I think, And this is just one of those bumps in the roads right now where you know, it's not just a pitching but the injuries feel like they are starting to catch up with this roster a little bit. And I think you know, Waldroup, out of necessity, pitched really well down the stretch last year. You know, I think not ready to close the door on him being a solid contributor. But you know, I just think you're going to have knights like tonight where you know, you you're facing Paul schemes. You you know, you score scratch a run across early and then you turn around and give up a grand slam, and you know, and it just kind of snowballs from there. And I think you're just where their braids are at right now. They're just going to have to live with it until they can get some more options in here.
Speaker 1: I think that's something that stands out, Chris, because you bring up a good point. They're going to have to live with it. In other words, they're going to have to improve internally because external options are not coming tomorrow next week. Before the start breaking like that, it's still two to three eight weeks it least out. And at that point you don't even know what it's going to look like because you don't know who's available right now, and you don't know the cost at which it's going to take to get them. But the other thing I think that you hit on is is that this team has to figure out some type of constant to help them win games. You know, a couple of things that come away from Monday Night's game is that Ronaldo Lopez thankfully looked good. That's three straight appearances where he's manageable to good to actually really good. But I think that speaks to the fact of just how influx this rotation is, because it seems like every two weeks. Is that if the playoffs were to start today, you would have a different opinion of who the Braves number two starter would be. It would be from Elder to Martin Perez. Now the Ronaldo Lopez, that and of itself is an issue. The problem also is is last night we've had to have more than one aspect of this team in a good spot during games last night, the power showed up, but the inability to hit with Runnerson's scoring position, the bullpen, especially Bryce i Leglecy, is a very rare blow up, and I think why struggled when it came to his decision making. We've got to have more than one aspect of this team in a winnable spot to be able to win games consistently. And that leads me to my overall big point that's coming up once again about this team that hindered to so much in twenty four and twenty five since June first, we are twenty seventh in runners in scoring position in terms of WRC plus, and we're twenty eighth in total opportunities. We're not creating run scoring opportunities and we're not converting. And that's a big, big thing that leads to more inconsistency than the ability to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and listen, Monday night, it got lost because of the way the game ended.
Speaker 4: But Ronaldo looked really good.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this is a big deal, Like I'm talking about this on Twitter with somebody to day. You know, Ronaldo's showing any sign of life. And I looked it up, like over the last month and a half, Ronaldo's got like a fip in the twos. The strikeout has come back, the whiffs have come back. He was sitting pretty regularly like ninety six ninety seven on Monday. Again, the game didn't end well, and yes, I was not happy the fact that they decided to let the pitch to Soto and let Sodo beat them in a lineup where he's pretty much the only threat. But you know that was a kind of a zoomed in takeaway. I think the zoomed out takeaway the main takeaway from Monday is that Ronaldo has established himself again, is at least somebody who has deserved a shot to pitch in the rotation. I think you're right. I think if the and this is where I want to get Chris's thoughts. Chris, let's just say, let's say the playoffs start tomorrow and the Braves are in and we and we sometimes lose sight of that. I'll admit, like, the Braves are still a playoff team right now. They would still win the division. They would be in the wildcard round because the Brewers and the Dodgers have both passed him. But we've talked about this a lot.
Speaker 4: I want to get your opinion.
Speaker 3: If the playoffs started tomorrow, give me your playoff rotation.
Speaker 2: It's kind of I mean, I think right now it would be Chrisselle Lopez and probably Bryce Elder if if it's Velo comes back, I mean, I think that's your that's your options right now. You know, hopefully it doesn't look that way, you know, a month from now or whatever. I mean, I feel like they've got to go out and I think, more than anything, this is a season where they're going to have to change that was very encouraged by what I saw from Lopez in the in the loss of the Mets. Thought he looked good. I was skeptical about bringing him out of the bullpen back into the rotations just because he just never looked right to me prior to going into the bullpen. But he looked you know, he kind of looked the way he did when before the injury, I thought the other or not. So, you know, I'm still kind of holding my breath a little bit every time, you know, shoulders, It's just it feels like they can fix elbows a lot of times now, but shoulders sometimes those problems come back and stuff. But uh, you know, I was, I mean, he's a huge shot in the arm right now if they can get him, and I kind of feel like maybe the plan was always for them to bring him back into the rotation. But I also think it's just kind of the same thing with Waldrop. It's a little bit of necessity too, you know, and they just didn't have any he was the best, next, best available option, and uh, you know, I think that we've seen j R. Ritchie and we've you know, we've seen Owen Murphy. Now, you know, I think that's getting their their feet wet and just in case this team needs them to start down the down the stretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that that that's something that is becoming clear, is that you know, we talked about it, Chris. I know you you held a similar opinion. You know, the brains have been trying for years to add external pitching help and they didn't and they probably felt a big reason why maybe the depth was more reliable this year. But you you you've looked at Strider coming back, you looked at Richie coming back, You've looked at Waldrick coming back. You tried to rely on Lopez coming back, and you had Murphy last night. Nobody's coming in and been reliable. Maybe Lopez can, But that just goes to show that at some point you're going to have to go external. But talk more with Chris about the season as a whole and also what could be coming in your future. After a word from the fantastic folks at.
Speaker 3: Fastenal Fastenal Industrial Supplies Innovative Solutions. Want to learn more, visit Fastenal dot com.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full Swing and Fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: So for those who may be new to the Hammer Territory podcast game. Before Hammer Territory in the early part of this decade, there were a Trio podcast. There was once a Trio a podcast. It was the Battery Power podcast Network, and one of those podcasts was the famous PTB Nail podcast quote unquote the podcast to be named later multiple years worth the podcast, but also multiple years worth plenty of discussions about what the podcast should be named. I personally made little suggestions. None of them ever got past the cutting room floor because Chris and Stephen hated them all. But for those who know, and Chris were wonderful podcast partners for multiple years, and so their takes were always awesome to listen to. And we get to do it once again, and let's get right into the assessment of the season now, Steven, I don't want to quote you too much, but I think that you brought up an excellent point about this Braves team. There's not as good as the first sixty games as they as we thought we were the first sixty games of the year. They're not as bad as what we've seen over the past month. There's somewhere in between. But the thing that I'll add to that is if that is who we are, we're nowhere near as close to being the contender we want to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I had somebody asked today because so the Braves have had two very distinct periods of the year. Obviously, the first I think it was sixty nine games. There was no sixty six games. They were forty five and twenty one. So that's a like almost seven hundred winning percentage. That's one hundred and ten win pace, which is absurd. I mean, that's sub Banana's level season, and I think most people understood talent level wise, the Braves were playing above their head. Bryce Elder and Martine Brez both at eras and the ones. Dom Smith was hitting like you know, Babe Bruth. Hory Matteo came up with big hits every night. Richard Debonn had like a nine hundred ops for like the first six weeks. I think most people understood, you know, this is above our head, and.
Speaker 4: So regression was coming.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, the second stint has been basically.
Speaker 4: The wheels coming off.
Speaker 3: They've gone seven and seventeen in their last twenty three games, which is a sub three hundred winning percentage, which is like a forty.
Speaker 4: Five win pace.
Speaker 3: So the Braves, you know, the Braves are not one hundred and ten win team and they're not a forty five win team. The question somebody asked me on Twitter. And the question that I'm going to ask Chris is where what's real? Where's the reel? Because we've seen two things that are very clearly not real. And baseball seasons are long and the variance is high, and you and I used to talk about this all the time about one one baseball season could just be insanely the variance in one baseball season can just be insane, like you can just reach incredible highs, incredible lows. So one thing we try to talk about in the show is what is actually real? And so I want to get your opinion, Chris, what do you Where do you think the reel is with this team?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a good question. You know, I didn't never think that they were as good as as they were coming out of the gate, and you know, but you know, they won those games and that's just baseball at some point, and you know, it's kind of like now I don't feel like they're as bad as they are, but it is a little alarming that it seems like, you know, every facet of the game has been bad of late, especially in June. I won't say that every every aspect has been bad in July. I mean it the other night against the match. You know, great defense most of the night, you know, and Aglasia is thirty five straight saves. You know, it gets blown there. I agree with you. I mean, you know, you make the decision to pitch the Soto there. Let make you know, hindsight's twenty twenty. But you know, mate, Machette beat you make somebody other than Soto beat you. And that's in that spot. Maybe we don't feel as bad, maybe we do. But again, they came back and tied the game. I thought one of the things that really shocked me about June and July is we've started to see around major League Baseball the ball is flying out of the ballpark again. But the Braves were one of the few teams that weren't hitting home runs. Now it seems like that's starting to come back. And but you know, it's like like Sean mentioned earlier, they've had trouble scoring runs. You know, we've seen at times, you know, the runners in scoring position they've struggled over the last several seasons. At that you know, they've covered a lot of it up with a three run homer. I feel like Ronald coming back is a huge key for this team at the top of the order. You know, we've not seen vintage Ronald Acunya yet, we may not at all, but his own base skills in his base running is a huge asset and it just lengthens this lineup. And I think that's something they're dealing with right now. Rush Drake ball went back. You know, Cunya gets hurt, they have to rush straight ball win back. The first time Acuna went out, we didn't really notice it that much because Baldwin was doing Acunya like things. So you know, I mean when you look at where the offense was and then look at Austin Riley's numbers, I mean, you gotta be you've got to be excited for that. But you know, you're like, wow, you know, I mean, those are those are good. But it's like you pointed out, they've gotten a ton out of people like Dubon dom Smith.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, the role players at the bench, which is something you and I used to talk about all the time. There was basically no bench ye there for several seasons and now you know, they've they've been able to do they've been able to add to the depth. But it just feels like you know, at some point you get in the season, they've got to get guys healthy, they've got to get guys headed in the right direction, and they've got to start hitting some I feel like they've still got to start hitting some home runs, and you know, they've got to have power up and down the lineup, because I just feel like that's the way they've been built since twenty twenty three. And whether it's you know, a hitting style change, changing the coaching staff, or dead baseball's I'm not really sure. I'm not really sure what's happened over the last couple of years with that. But you know, I still think this team's built slug and if they don't, then I think they're gonna have a hard time score of scoring runs. So you know, it's gonna be interesting to see how they go down the stretch. But you know, I mean, that's a long winded answered to that's just kind of where I fell out there at. I mean, they're not this bad. They didn't just forget how to play baseball. But you know, you want to see him. You know, it's a lot, it's you know, it's iow, baseball is weird. You can't just pin everything on a on a one game. But you know, when you're splitting with the Mets, you're splitting series at home with the Mets, you know you're losing. They've lost some they've lost some maddening games, and it's I under in frustration, but you still have to keep perspective because there's still a long way to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and before I go back to Sean, you'd mentioned of getting a couna back. I do want to mention Mark Bowman, MLB dot Com beat reporter friend of the show, did tweet out earlier that Weiss told him that Ronald is very close to going out and rehab assignment. We've been waiting on this news because the report was always Ronald's going to come back very soon after the All Star break, but obviously for that to happen, he's gonna have to go on a reaps imon here pretty soon because the All Star break is next week. So and it was notable to me that we finally did get word that Ronald is at least about to go on realissimon. Of course we don't know what that means. Sorry to cut you.
Speaker 1: Off, Sean, No, no, no issue at all. But Chris, I think another thing that may not be discussed enough about this team is let's kind of broaden the viewpoint of this team. Since twenty twenty four and in twenty twenty four they made the playoffs, twenty and twenty five they struggled, and this year they're you know, I think they're going to make the playoffs. They're obviously not going to be top of the email like you had hoped. But when you break it down, when the Braves have been going good, there's been a constant theme as to why they've been going good, and that's relying on veterans, the production of veterans, elite production of veterans. You go back to twenty and twenty four, when they were doing good, it was because Chris Sail was having a sign young year, Marcelo Zuna was producing at an MVP level, and ry soel Iglesias was one of the best closers in baseball, all in their mid thirties. Come to this year. The best aspects of this team Chris Sail on the mound at thirty seven, Robert Sworez or Ryce ol Iglasias in their mid thirties. At the back end of the bullpen. You've got Matt Olson, who's about to be thirty two as your best hitter. Now, that's great. I'm not complaining about that. That has helped us remain in a pretty good spot. But that also is relying on older veterans, which means that your most consistent producers year in and year out are not necessarily the longest outlook sources. What I mean is is that your focus is more on than that. So I think that that's a reason why that, especially with the uncertainty of twenty twenty seven, you don't know how things are going to happen after that, this team is clearly in a position to go World Series or bust. But while I don't think the team is this bad, they've got a lot of things that they've got to improve on internally in some areas that they've got to really shore up to be confident in that position. I just think that that stands out to me, and it starts with some of the inter corps getting going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, sorry, Chris, yeah, I would Chris, do you think they're gonna make a big move? So you and I used to talk about this all the time, but Alex was, you know, very hesitant. Now that you know he's been more he's I think he has loosened up a little bit. I do think, you know, he's been a little bit more aggressive in trades, but you.
Speaker 4: Know it's not his m O.
Speaker 3: And it's never been, at least it as long as been as Atlanta. He's never been hism o. He doesn't go get the Turis school. He goes and gets the you know, the Shane Green type, and he you know, he goes against the Jorge Solaira when nobody expects it. Do you think do you think this is a year where they have to you know, would they have to put up a little more?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean it's a great question. You know, at this point, I don't think you can gain I don't think you can go into the deadline counting on Spencer stradd coming back and being Spencer Strider. I don't think at this point you can count on Spencer Schwellingboch coming back and you know, being a different maker. I mean, he may very well do that, but I don't think you can count on it. So I feel like they've got to go add some pitching depth to this. Is that going to be Schooble? I would never bet on that because we just haven't seen that type of movie. You know, if if Scooble had control beyond this season, then maybe, But you know, are they going to really pay the price for just a rental like that? You know, I think you talked yourself into a lot of things. I think if they could, I think they have to add somebody though. They have to add somebody that's more than just a guy that can go out there and make starts. I think they have to add some mindens to this group for just the reasons that you know, we've already talked about. You know, Lopez, there's injury questions for Lopez. Chris Sale has been I don't even want to speak it into existence, but let's not you know, let's not pretend that you know, he hasn't dealt with injuries in the past too. And they're to the point now where one more serious injury like that and you know, the whole the whole start, the whole season can go up and smoke. So, I mean, I feel like there's going to be a sense of urgency this time. I don't think it's one of those in the past deadlines you and I've seen where you know, they've went in, if we can get a guy that can help us this year plus next year, maybe the year after. You know, with control they would do that, but they didn't go in with urgency. And I think it was twenty nineteen they went and got Milans and Green and those guys. And then you know, again in twenty twenty one, of course they had all the urgency.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 2: They didn't really mortgage in the future. But you know, they went out and made deals and got added added a lot of guys to the mix, and it just happened catch lightning in a bottle. So yeah, I think they're God. I think they have to make moves at this point.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Are they going to be the ones that steal all the headlines? Probably not, you know, I wouldn't bet on that. But I mean, I think this roster has I think when the trade deadline, after the trade deadline, I think this roster has to look has to look different than what it is right now. You know. I if you get you get Tritter, and you get Swelling bought back and they're great, then that's just a good problem to have, you know, I mean, you just have to can figure it out from there. But I think they've got to go out and get at least one picture and maybe maybe even two. You know of the way things slip right now.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna have some fun with Chris in just a moment, look at some names that he could make sense for the Braves. Thinkfully, there's not any really good Georgia Bulldogs out there in Major League Baseball right now, so we don't have to worry about overpaying for them. But some fun names that Chris thinks could make sense for the Braves in a moment, after a word from our partners book.
Speaker 7: In summertime, it's cool in the morning, hot during the day, cool again at night. Rarely am I sitting there going, oh, I'm just going to do one thing at a time. I'm bouncing from work, I'm bouncing in the yard, I'm running to a game. Fabletics has got me with price, comfort and versatility with all the gear that I'm getting from them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're talking about premium active wear you'd expect from higher end brands, but without the price tag. Lightweight, breathable, comfortable, built to actually last. And if you're going to Fabletics, you should be joining as a VIP, which completely changes the game. You can shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so don't wait again. That's athletics dot com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 1: So, Chris, let's let's get into the fund. You know, everybody loves the idea of talking trades, especially those you know of us who who enjoy covering the team. And also you know that they love, you know, when there's clearly a need to make trades. But it talking about trades in general, that's that's okay, let's talk names. And so I've been racking my brain. Steven knows that I've been talking about this now for weeks, but I've been trying to figure out, Okay, the Braves aren't going to pay top dollar, right. They don't want to trade their their best projects, like their projects prospects like Eric Hartman or Kem KAMINITTI probably or something like that. And I think that's reasonable. So how could they potentially go pay a reasonable price for someone that can make a difference for them, but also potentially keep that person around for a while. And I've got three names that I think in the biggest area of need for the Braves probably make the most for them to kind of target start discussions on and things like that. Those three names are Sunny Gray, Mike Soroka as well as Casey Mines. Now all three are rentals, and so Alex and Thoppless paying a significant price for a rental. Again not his remo, but all three of them have either played for the Braves, been connected for years due to trade rumors, and also where they grew up. You know, they were fans of the Braves. You could see them wanting to be with the Braves for a while. I think those guys could be reasonably priced in terms of prospects. They could make a difference as your number two started this year, but be open to an extension after that. That's the type of move that I think the Braves need to target when it comes to potential trade deadline moves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I want to get your opinion, Chris. Do you think, let's say, Let's let's play hypothetical real quick. Let's say Alex. Let's say Alex can only do one. So we've talked a lot about pitching, and pitching has been a problem lately. But if we're honest and the offense has been better in July, it's a small stample. We're in like game five of July, but the offense has definitely been better in July. Scored fourteen runs the other night. You know, tonight was not a great night. They didn't do great against Peralta, but you know, they've had they've had decent at bats. But there's been a lot of conversation as well because of Austin Riley's you know, bad season, the Hassan Kim signing did not work.
Speaker 4: You know, we have no idea.
Speaker 3: What we're gonna get from mccunya. I think he's going to be back, but we have no clue what we're gonna get when he gets back. You know, Michael Harris, Ozzy Albi's have had amazing years, but let's be honest, they've also had propensity to drop off randomly.
Speaker 4: Here and there.
Speaker 3: So if you could only go get one, or let's say maybe you can get two things. Are you going to get two starters? Are you going to try to find a bat with some of the starters that Sean just mentioned.
Speaker 2: I think I'd have to go get two pictures if we could get him, you know, I mean, I think I think that's the bigger need. I just feel like his team's gonna hit at some point. They haven't. You know that that's been an issue in June July, but I think we're starting to see that corrected itself. You know, It's it's tough because you don't know what the names are. I mean, I think there was one off season you and I predicted ten different outfielders that just were slammed dump They absolutely they were gonna you know, they were gonna get one of those guys and it, and you know, they didn't get any of them. And uh, you know, so it's it's hard. You don't you never know what's available, what they're going to do. And I think the one thing that the one thing that worries me is just how many sellers are there going to be. I mean, you look at a team like the Twins. You know, Joe Ryan's out there, It's got another year of control. I mean that's a guy. I don't know what the Braves internal scouting thinks of Joe Ryan, but that's a guy that that's a guy that fits checks all the boxes, you know in a lot of ways. That HiT's the guy that he's the type of guy you would think they would, you know, they would be after He's going to be expensive because everybody's gonna be after after that type of pitch. But you know, you also look in the Twins are they're two games under five hundred, but they're only a game out of game back in the wild card, you know, in the American League? So are they going to sell? Will they? I mean a lot of things, you know. That's that's why these weeks after the you know, after the All Star break are going to be so important to a lot of these teams because they're so close, you know, and trying to determine are you going to sell or whatever? I mean, the Tigers have had a terrible season. There there are still only four and a half games out of the wild card, you know, two hot weeks and they're right in the mix. And then what do you do?
Speaker 4: Same with Boston? I just look Boston, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean when you. You look right now, the Royals and the Angels are the only ones that look like that. They're completely out in the al so far. So you know, but I think with me, I think I would go. I think I would go after the pitching. You know, I've got confidence, you know, they can bring a Cunya back. Maybe he's not running as crazy as he you know, I mean, he hasn't run like he did in the MVP season obviously since the injury. But maybe they just have to try to be a little more careful with him. But I really think he's got a hot stretch coming, and you know, you just hope Austin Riley. You can't expect at this point, we I don't think we can expect what we were. We expect him, but I expect him to be better than he has been, you know, and he's starting to show some signs of it. So I think Drake Balwin's gonna I just think you're gonna have to take your chances with something because you know, Sean mentioned the thing. I mean, are you going to trade cam and Eddie? Are you going to trade Hartman? You know, I mean, if you're gonna get a Joe Ryan or even talk about Schooble. You're gonna have to trade those guys, yeah, you know, I think because the price is going to be high, especially for a control controllable starter. So you know, and Sonny Gray is an interesting name too, just because I think that's another one you and I have talked about a lot anytime, you know, and it seems like it seems like the Braves have never where we thought it was an obvious fit. The Braves have never really seemed to be in the mix, you know, for him, So would they be now? I mean I think sometimes you know, as fans and us and I think we get caught up in the big names. But I mean some of Alex's best work has been not the biggest name out there. But I think it is going to be important that they add some adds, people that can go out there and start every fifth day and add some minings because right now, you know, the bullpen's been great at at times. I think, you know, they've got a solid, solid group, especially a Soarez gets back out there. Uh, but you know, there's a lot of times, even even during that hot streak to start the season, that they're handing the bull handing going to the bullpen in the fifth inning, and I just think over the loan, and they've done it. They've lost a lot of games. Protecting guys. You know, that's been a controversial topic at certain times. You know, at some point, though, you're gonna have to throw some minutes, and you're gonna have to have some guys that you can depend on and and just try to try to build, to find some rhythm and and and stay with it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and people, I mean, you know, when the Brain's traded for Crystsale, there was not a person on the planet who thought Chrystale was available. One, no one brought it up, and two no one thought he was worth trading for anyways, because the guy hadn't pitched like five years, and so you know, and even after the move happened, everybody I remember doing it, like doing the shows, like we were like, all right, this mate work, but it also could just be a disaster. Like those are much more of the Alex moves, where like guys, we're not talking about guys who've maybe been hurt for the last year, not any on anybody's rader, guys who are not having great seasons. He's gotten both Pierce Johnson and Tyler Kinley from the Rockies when they've got Eres and the sixes and they just saw something and just like, all right, we think there'll be better here. So you know the obvious thing, and you're right. I mean, the obvious names are fun to talk about because they're easy to talk about. It's not really easy to talk about the guys we have no clue about. But Alex, there's a very good chance they're gonna trade for somebody at this deadline on pitching side, a hitting side reliever that we never once brought up, and that that's happened almost every deadline they've done, and almost every all season they've done. And we talk about a lot of names, and they always find a way to get somebody we I mean, we never mentioned the name Tyler Kinley, We never mentioned the name Pierce Johnson, we never mentioned the name Chris Sale, and all those guys are on the teams, and.
Speaker 4: All those guys, all those moves kind of worked.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's it is very possible that it's guys we're not even thinking about are talking about.
Speaker 1: And now I'll add to that is that that's the point I was going to bring up is that I think that's if we're talking multiple moves need to be made. That's what the Braves are going to have to do again. It's going to have to be a guy who's underperforming where he currently is. Yeah, and the Braves pay a decent price for him and they go get him. And Chris you talked about, you talked about twenty nineteen in twenty twenty one. Those are two excellent examples. Yes, their moves on the margins. Alex is going to have to make a bigger move I think than just that this trade deadline. But the other consistent thing with them being moves on the margins is that they were relievers in twenty nineteen who may not have been performing that well where they were Shane Green was, but then they here and they overnight become the best bullpen in baseball. So where Peterson as well as Rosario were not performing anywhere where they did in previous years, were they come here, they were the difference of the playoffs. So I think that something the Brays are gonna have to rely on again. He is getting the underperformance elsewhere to come here by paying at cheap price and then all of a sudden it becomes a really integral part of us getting back going where we want to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I like, I would not be would it would not surprise me at all? Like if the Braves saw something in Freddy Perolta, like he's had a terrible season with the Mets, He's only got one year, he's got a two months of control, not gonna cost a ton. And if they have something internally that they love about Freddy Peralta, like they have a there's a pitch, there's a there's a pitch mix they love, there's you know, some aspect of his profile, his his delivery, whatever. They love something about it, and they go get him and they're like, he'll be better with us.
Speaker 2: Just watch.
Speaker 3: And I like, I'm move like that Chris wouldn't surprise me at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I mean another team that I've been looking at and I don't know if this makes any sense or whatever, but you know it's gonna be instance. See what the Angels do. Uh, you know team that's a you know Soriano's had had has pitched better. This year's intriguing. Cheap pricetate is gonna be high. Probably you know a guy like red debt merss has struggled for you know, a large a lot of hype around him as a prospect and stuff, and hasn't really found his footing. But that's you know, that's another controllable guy. You know, I think those are I think you could do. You know, you could try to get Soriano's probably a little more established, you know, you could you could go get one of those guys and then try to pair him with another one, and and all of a sudden, you know, the whole rotation looks different. But I mean again with the Angels, though, I mean, who knows what they're gonna do. I mean, they should sell, they should be they should be selling everybody at this point. But you know, you can't really say for with any certainty that they're going to So that's why I think this trade deadline is so fascinating, just because of how how the American League sets up. And then I was thinking watching Ferdie per Alta the others not I was wondering, you know, that's exactly what. He's had a tough year, but it's you know, I might could the Braves, you know, he played better.
Speaker 4: With the Braids ninety seven. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we know, you know, the Brewers defense was great behind him, Met's defense is not. I don't know how much of that. I mean, if the ball is going over the fence, it's not you know, it doesn't really matter. But you know, could have changed the scenery and and and putting him into a pennant race. Does that Does that make sense? Would the Mets trade him to the Braves? I think I don't think that would be a problem, since he's on a since he's he's on an expiring deal. You know, I think they'll go out and try to get the best they came for him, So you know, I mean it's this is really a throwback to the podcast to be named later Gays, because I think you and I played what will Ally's Do a lot of times, and you know, our track records not great, but most of.
Speaker 4: The time.
Speaker 2: I think that the closest well not we wouldn't even that, but I just remember the not that they got Joe Amenez and traded justin Henry Malloy, you know why we were recording, and that's probably the closest you know, you and I ever actually got to trade, and we didn't even you know, I think we were both surprised when they sent malloy in that in that deal. So always interesting, uh, in this time of the year.
Speaker 3: We had Robert Murray on the show last week and obviously if you're listening, if you if you guys missed the show, Robert Murray still on the feet, go listen to it. And he told us that the Angels were the team and Redubbers was the guy. He's hearing about the mo like teams are asking like is this guy get there, Like teams in baseball that think he's like gonna be an ace level pitcher, and Sean's been Shawn's been wishing upon some of these Angels players for like two years now, so yeah, that would be.
Speaker 4: You just never know what art Mareno is gonna do.
Speaker 3: It's just a I mean, he just wakes up in the morning and throws a dart at the dart board and that's what he does for the day. So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that it's good. It is going to be a fascinating deadline.
Speaker 1: And the other wild card in there with the Angels now is, of course, you know, perryman Iason is no armer there if he was there, I'd feel a bit more compident. Maybe John Mozelac hasn't been a freedom to be able to do it. And guys, when we talk about you know, the Braves going, you know, an unexpected route. They have so much success with veterans, they may look into yesteryear to bring back us a surprising option for the starting rotation. Charlie Morton Dallas.
Speaker 4: What's what's full?
Speaker 3: What's faulty up to these days?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean you mentioned, I mean, yeah, yeah, we need to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get back all day long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bring it back.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, there's there's a lot of injury history there. But he looks like, you know, he looks like he looks like he could help. He can help the team, you know at this point. So, I mean, that would be a great story.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine if they traded for Soroka? Oh my god, the fan base would lose their mind. That would be that would actually be an incredible day. Obviously we'll see if it would actually work or not, but just the just the reaction for them trading for Soroka would be incredible.
Speaker 1: Ian Anderson's out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's a reason he's out there.
Speaker 1: And also, you know the other thing that stands out about it is that you know, one of the things that kind of you know, comes into it, Chris, and I want to get your opinion on this because I know that you're you know, your overall coverage of baseball is kind of expanded. You know, the role that you've had, you know, covering you know, all the teams really you know, through the different staffs. Is the landscape's about to change, right, you know when we get done with this year twenty twenty seven, you know that lockout is unfortunately almost to guarantee. We know how far off both the players and the owners are. And I'm not trying to get into all this, but I mean I think that plays a factor in things. And that's why I think it's an added factor that makes them thoughtless. The urgency's got to be there. Because the other thing also that you know, I'm not going to get too much into and things like that, is that if it doesn't work out this year for the Braves, I'm not saying drastic things need to change, but you've already changed the manager. I'm not saying you need to make changes elsewhere. But if it's not worked for three eight years. Now, Roster turnover comes into play and that's going to be much harder to do with so much uncertainty when it comes to the lockout, the potential changes to the game beyond that lockout. I think that plays a part in it, and maybe an unfortunate truth, but it's reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me let me correct myself real quick here before somebody else does it for me. But it looks like Joe Ryan's got a mutual option for next year, so he'll be a free agent. So not forget what I said about control. I apologize about that, but I mean I think you hit on it, you know too. I mean it's a this is a unique off season. We're going into a lot of uncertainty there. You know, I don't really I don't think anybody wants us to talk with us spend them too much time on a lockout situation, possibility of losing games. But I mean, you know, every one of these teams is factoring that into the equation, especially if you're trading, if you're trading top prospects for guys with under team control, you have to at least entertain the thought that you know, there's at least a remote chance. I mean, I think it would be the craziest thing ever if they miss if they miss any games next year, but you know, I mean we've seen crazy things happen, so I mean you think you have to feel like that. They're definitely teams are definitely factoring that in when you know, when they when they go through this. So yeah, I mean that's a good point too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, we've talked about a lot with chrys Sales age.
Speaker 4: And healthy.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously it's not just his age, but his his just general health.
Speaker 4: You know, the.
Speaker 3: You just never know what you're going to get out of Chrysale season. And if he's healthy, he's going to be good. But father time catches up to everybody. How many more years of ace chrystiality have They obviously signed him to that extension. They made him the highest paid player on the team, which I think is perfectly reasonable. But what we know right now is that Chris Sale is still an ACE, so you know, and we don't know what next year is going to bring because of the lockout. It does make me wonder the Braves have because of this profile money, they have more money to spend they probably ever had at a deadline, which is.
Speaker 4: A big deal.
Speaker 3: It doesn't get talked about a lot. But teams don't just have twenty million dollars sitting around in the deadline. The Braves serendipitously. Do you know, could that be?
Speaker 4: Could that be the.
Speaker 3: Critical factor in like a schoobl trade. I have no idea, but they do have money to spend, and they have some murgency. It is going to be fascinating how Alex plays this because you can make the argument that any one baseball season you shouldn't be going all in on because baseball playoffs don't work the same way as other sports. The most you can increase your odds is by like three or four or five percent, like even with a great deadline. So there's an argument that you shouldn't do it. There's an argument because of the age of sale and because of the potential lockout and you got all this money, that they should do it. So you know, it is going to be fascinating to see which way they go.
Speaker 2: I think it's a little different this time than probably the last time you and I talked about this is in before you know, it was always they wouldn't win every year. Yeah, okay, that was the stated goal. I mean, I've got don't I don't know how many times I was there and heard Alex say that, you know, we we don't want to just win this year, we want to win every year. That's why you lock all these guys up. That's why you know, you invest in the core and try to add to it. But they didn't win last year, and they're coming off and they're going to be a year older again next year. And I think as you get to the end of that, at some point you have to retool. And I think that's some of what Sean's talking about. It's just natural that you have to do that. So, I mean, I think it's important to not just I mean, we we have this habit off. There's a big guy, a big name out there that makes a lot of sense. It makes a lot of sense for every single team just about you know, every team, even the Dodgers would whenever the when they're completely healthy, if they could get Schooble, they will go get to reach Schooble. You know, it makes he makes sense for every single team. But I mean, you know, for all the reasons you just said the money they're in a you know, there's an urgency I think because they did miss playoffs last year. So you know, would I be would I be shocked? Yeah, I probably would be. But you know, I think, and I think Mark Bowman's made that point too. You know, the Braves are as well positioned to get him as anybody is. You know, I guess you know, some people will will point to the farm system not being as highly ranked. I mean, there's probably teams out there that could outspend it. But I mean, I think it's gonna be really interesting to see what the price tag is on for him, because he is a rental and he's probably gonna sign the largest pitching contract in history, you know, Barn. Some Barn restrictions been put in this new CBA, so I think it's I think it's gonna be you know, I'm really interested to see what happens there. I think when you look at the league as a whole, not just the Braves, it's gonna be really this year more than ever, it's gonna be really interested to see how teams operate, and which ones push those chips in and which ones play it a little more conservatively.
Speaker 1: I think one aspect of this team that it may be hard to have confidence in right now, but is not a unrealistic, far fetched version of this team that we could get going into the playoffs. You still on this team have a top ten starting pitcher in baseball and Chris sel who's look like that this year. You have a catcher on this team who was an MVP candidate for the first two months of the year who could get back to being that this year. You currently have a top ten MVP candidate in Matt Olson. You have arguably the best back end of the bullpen in the game when bo Sfarez and Iglesias are healthy, and they.
Speaker 4: Perform like it.
Speaker 1: But one missing piece is Acunya getting back to being Acunya. But if he does and all those players are healthy, this team is right there with anyone. And if you add a reliable number two starter to them through the deadline, then you've got something. And I know that that's looking at the glass and only half empty but overflowing with positivity.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 1: But all of those scenarios that I talked about, the only one of that that you've not seen so far this year is Acuna being Acunya, and you have to have confidence he'll be that at some point. Add that number two starter. You've still got plenty to work with to make this special season and easily make this team a clear contender once again. And I think to your point, Chris, that's why this year is a bit different is because you've got all that in place for this year. Try to make the most of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they haven't had the like crazy season ending injuries that they've had. They've had injuries, but like Acuna is coming back, technically Murphy's coming back. We haven't heard anything about Murph. Suarez is supposed to be back after the All Star break at some point, you know, technically Schwellenbach has still not been ruled out for the year, so maybe he comes back, and then of course you get all the trades so that that could happen or could not happen.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean there is a very very realistic path where you get to September October, and this team has an insane amount of talent on it, and like you're like, all right, I can ride with this, like wee like I don't know if we're better than the Dodgers, but it's baseball, and you know, weird stuff happens in short series, and like, you know, this is as good as we can do, and I'll.
Speaker 4: Feel great about it.
Speaker 3: There is a very realistic path to that happening there. You know, we also know Alex, we also know there's a realistic path. We get to the day after deadline day and he's like, wow, I just didn't find any deals that I loved, and like we've all heard him say that. So and there's a world where Coccoona gets hurt again and Suarez doesn't look as good when it comes back. So, you know, the various level on the season is as we sit here with the two crazy you know, uh spans that they've gone through this year, the variant level of the season just remains crazy high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, you can get into you can get into all that. I mean, I think that's true. I guess you could say that for everybody but the Dodgers maybe you know, it feels.
Speaker 3: Like they're almost injury proof at this.
Speaker 2: Point, but you know, I think you also have to I mean, you hear, I mean, I know this is kind of getting off topic a little bit, but you know, it feels like there's a lot of people out there that think the Dodgers have ruined things, but they probably should have lost that World Series last year. Miguel Rojas hits a home run, you know. I mean, there's a there's a world where they spend all that money and didn't didn't win World Series.
Speaker 3: Well in their first in their first World Series, in the Division Series, they were down to one to the Padres, and I mean they and had games ahead of them, and they should have lost.
Speaker 2: I mean, and and the point I'm trying to make is it's just like, I know, people don't want to hear it, but if you get to the playoffs, you got a chance. And I mean, you know last year also the Phillies throw a ball away or you know, they made the Dodgers may be going back to Philadelphia, uh or yeah, I don't remember the exact scenario, but you know, it wasn't like they blitzed their way all the way to the World Series. They did play very well and and be probably the hottest team at the time, you know, in that, but it took it took some it took some magic, you know, for that to happen, and I mean, you know, I think one should have taught us that anything can happen, because I mean, the Braves were not the best team. They were playing that way. Nobody hadn't noticed it yet. But you know, I think back to that series, Freddie Freeman hits home run off Josh Hater. If he doesn't hit that home run off Josh Hater, I'm not sure they get I'm not sure they get through the Brewers. Yeah, you know, I can remember, and people kind of there were so many big moments in twenty twenty one that you kind of forget that their back was against the their back was against the wall.
Speaker 3: They lost Game one of that series in Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: Yep, I remember that, And.
Speaker 2: You know that's that's that's why I say, you can't just if you get there, you have a chance, you know. I mean twenty twenty three is the other flip side of that. I mean, every single thing went right for that team until the first round the playoffs, you know. I mean that's I think that's something you and I dissected at length for probably for therapy for each of us, you know whom we were going through that. But yeah, I mean, you know, but I mean they just you know, how many runs did they score in that series? And I mean if you if you had bet watching that team all year, you know, you would have thought, well, they're going to lose ten to nine or something like that, because they just they just bashed home runs and scored runs at an elite level and then got the postseason. So I mean, it's just you got to get there though, And I think that's the thing. Phillies are playing well. You know, I can pointed their run differential, but I still think a lot of that was just that early hole that they they built. But I mean I think it is getting overlooked a little bit. I mean, the Braids are still what fifteen fourteen to fifteen games over five hundred. I mean, anybody will trade with places. There are a lot of teams in this league with trade places with Atlanta right now. So you know, I just don't think this, I mean, just to reiterate it, just don't think this is one of those seasons where you want to come in on August fourth and but just be saying I couldn't find a deal I really wanted to make. Yeah, I just think I just think there's an opportunity here. This time, and I just don't think I don't think they can. I don't think they can do that this time. I think they have to go out and make a trade and make a good a deal to try to strengthen this roster. It may not be the one that we want or everybody wants, but I think they've got to do it this time.
Speaker 1: So and in a lot of those postseason examples that you gave, Chris, the teams that survived and thrived were those teams that could have trustworthy back end of the games pitching wise, whether it's a starting pitture like Yamamoto or the night shift like the Braves in twenty one, and also the being able to hit the home runs. That's what made the difference for the Dodgers last year, despite how good the lineup for the Toronto Blue Jays was performing. But Chris a lot of great points. It was a pleasure to get caught back up with you again. We will definitely have you on again in the near future. Thank you so much for everything. Where can folks find your work? I know you've got a lot of different outlets where work is going on that that that you definitely have your eye on, But working folks.
Speaker 2: Find your work at Yeah, I mean, you know, check out all our baseball sides at xpanation. We got great communities, really focusing on the Community's a lot of good discussion over there. Uh, you know, my written works not as not as much working more behind the scenes now, you know, I miss it. I miss you guys. I miss uh. I miss following it as close as I as I used to. I'm I'm happy, happy to see you guy. The podcast doing well. Uh, you know, I'm glad it got to start at uh at Battery Power and uh, you know, I thought we built something really really good and we had I had a lot of fun doing it, and that's you know, that was the that was the best part of it. So it's good to It's good to see you guys.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know Brad Scott, I can't say enough good things about them as well. So yeah, but this was a lot of fun. I've been looking forward to it, So I appreciate you guys having me.
Speaker 1: Stephen anything else from you.
Speaker 4: No again. Chris is just a legend.
Speaker 3: H He had a like you said at the beginning, he had a role in all of us being there, especially man, I mean he hired me he was talking shop back then. But if hired me at a Battery power we started the podcast together, would not be here without Chris. So of course we appreciate Chris coming on. As far as the baseball, they need to win.
Speaker 4: Uh, we gotta get win. We gotta get a win tomorrow.
Speaker 3: You know, they're just they're taking on water to level. The break is in like five days, So if you can just get to the break without putting it completely in the ditch, that would be tremendous. Just get to the break because Acuna is coming after the break, maybe Suarez. We got to get to the break and not get there like oh and six on this road trip. So like, win a couple of game, win like two or three games. I would take a three and three trip on a heartbeat. Just win a couple of more games before the break, get to the break, get some reinforcements after, and hopefully get this season back on the rails that you know that we enjoyed so much in the first two months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if I'm looking at it correct, So the Phillies one tonight, the Marlins of one tonight as well, So it needs to be instead right now, the Braves are two games up in the East on the Phillies. They are three games up on the Marlins. The Braves are three games up right now from being tied for the third wild card spot. And even more importantly, there are only five games up from being out of the playoffs. And the team right now that they would be looking at are the Saint Louis Cardinals, who they play coming up this weekend. So that series ends the car in the first half. All the in Saint Louis, all of a sudden becomes a pretty big series, like you need to win at least three of the next two games. But the easiest way to do that is to start by winning the first and that's and that's going to be the offense having to step back up. But Chris Camp, thank you enough for your time. Thanks for letting everybody know you know where they can find your work. You can find Steven Tolbert at beud Square, Outliers on Twitter, slash x, Sean Colemenitz stats, sac Hammer Territory a cross all forms of social media, par The Foul Territory Family Podcast. Until next time, Chris will see Atler myself. Jean Coleman go braves, We'll talk to you again soon here in my Happy Territory podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah.