Speaker 1: Coolso media, Hey everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: Everyone, my name is Dan al Kurd and this is it could happen here. I'm an associate professor of political science and a researcher.
Speaker 4: Of Arab and Palestinian politics.
Speaker 3: Today on the podcast we have Danielle Kanter and she'll be talking to us about mutual aid work in Israel, leftist politics at Israel, and her personal journey.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for being on the show. Hi.
Speaker 3: So yeah, if you'd like to introduce us to yourself and your organization, Culture of Solidarity, that would be fantastic.
Speaker 4: Sure. Yeah, Hi, I'm Danielle.
Speaker 5: I run with a beautiful community, a mutual aid called Culture of Solidarity. I don't know if people here are familiar with mutual aid work or if I should give a little explanation about that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can give a shpiel, yeah, spiel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just basically kind of caring for your community through different like aid programs while resisting the systems that kind of preserve their poverty and their oppression. That's how I view what mutual aid work is. And yeah, so we run a mutual aid. It runs in many forms, but mostly it's we have a food security program that supports kind of the people that fall in between the cracks of the systems within Israeli and Palestine. Well obviously the systems within Israel and in Palestine. We work mainly in Area C in the West Bank, in Mesaphiliata. Yeah, so we do food security, like food packs that are truly appropriate for each community receiving them based off of what they are asking, whether it's diapers, baby formula.
Speaker 4: You know, fit to each holiday.
Speaker 5: Now we just finished or we're still in the midst of a Romandan annual campaign where they're all going to be boxes fit for the holiday and we host well, we had.
Speaker 4: A community center for the past five years.
Speaker 5: We've been a collective, I guess since March twenty twenty when COVID hit so Basically when that started, it was kind of like we saw that there was going to be a lot of food waste, like an obscene amount of food waste because all the restaurants, offices, hotels, la la la who would be closing, And we thought we'd kind of rescue that food and redistribute it to communities that were in need until the government kind of got on their feet and understood what their virus was. That was kind of the beginning of our deep, deep political awakening of this place, thinking that there would be a system that would come and serve the vulnerable communities around us.
Speaker 4: So that's when it started.
Speaker 5: And I think only like a few months into that when we thought we were kind of just like, yeah, good citizens doing the work and not understanding how politically charged it is to serve your community when they're actively being oppressed by the systems that are supposed to care for them. And I think in that moment we understood that we want to not only serve our neighbors or community, we also need to learn about these root causes of oppression and what brought them to this position in the first place. You know, people often say like, oh, you know, someone's poor they don't have food in their fridge like in their ways of trying to raise funds or whatever. And it's an atrocity almost to kind of depict it that way, because all of these communities are actively.
Speaker 4: Being abandoned, Yeah, being abandoned in a nice way.
Speaker 5: You know, they didn't wake up one morning and didn't have food in their fridge, right, they don't have food in their fridge because of a policy that preserves that status.
Speaker 4: And so that is the mutual aid that we run.
Speaker 5: We had a community center for five years where we hosted weekly events or daily events every evening. All the events would be under that umbrella of learning as a community about these injustices, and they could also be you know, shows, and they could be debates, and they could be lecturers or workshops, and all of the proceeds would go to our food security program. And in that way, we are one hundred percent community funded.
Speaker 4: No one has salaries.
Speaker 5: We made a conscious decision back in the beginning when we realized all the injustices around us, that we didn't want to institutionalize and become part of a system that is responsible for that. And that is not to say that NGOs aren't amazing. That is not to say that you know, there aren't angios doing God's work here.
Speaker 4: But they're constrained. Yeah, there's there's different constraints.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this is our personal decision to act as a community. There's another reason we didn't want to institutionalize in this because we didn't want to make a business out of something that shouldn't be needed, you know what I mean when you get salaries and tacticy, like.
Speaker 4: It perpetuates the need to continue in.
Speaker 5: A way, and like there's all going to be needed, right, Like it's not We're gonna you know, oh and then they're not going to need anymore. But you know, I saw unhinge like a dating app. Yeah yeah, it said an app meant to be deleted, And I just thought about that, like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: That is the essence of it all.
Speaker 5: Like we're not supposed to be doing this, isn't Like I mean, we should be caring for our community and our neighbors.
Speaker 4: That should go without saying.
Speaker 5: But also our taxes should be directed to serving our name or that are in vulnerable states.
Speaker 3: So I will definitely link in the show notes to like the Instagram and things like that, and for people who are I mean, I'm sure for some people who have seen the documentary no Other Land, this is the same community that you all work with in Masafaietta. But yeah, yeah, so I'm interested in a couple of different kind of directions. But would you say that a lot of the people who come to Culture of Solidarity and like volunteer and start to participate in your activities.
Speaker 4: Do you think.
Speaker 3: That that opens up the space to not only question injustices within the Israeli system, but how that's tied up with the occupation, Like is that kind of the path forward for people?
Speaker 5: I think that is the path or that we want from people. I think we are very forgiving in a sense in the way that like not forgiving, but just understanding, you know, the journey that it took us to unlearn what we know.
Speaker 4: Like that's a hard one and I'm going.
Speaker 5: To go pre October seventh, you know you're doing work to unlearn what you've been taught.
Speaker 4: Isn't your entire identity?
Speaker 5: And you know, post October seventh, you just see everything, like everything has become so much more pornographic, Like you know, it's the amount of death, murder, the genocide, the ethnic cleansing in the West Bank. You know, just this week six communities have been pushed out of their homes by the army, by settlers Paris, and it's become much more immediate. Whereas I think before October seventh, I mean, there didn't go a week in which we didn't have an.
Speaker 4: Event talking about the occupation and learning.
Speaker 5: But I think after October seventh, it became this like huge divide of like this kind of like protection.
Speaker 4: Over one's identity.
Speaker 5: So we did a lot of work to kind of mantle that notion that to empathize with another people comes on the expense of your own pain and trying to you know, mirror the power dynamic to people like yes, we all had family and friends and people that we knew that were murdered, that were taken, that were like abducted. And with that being said, Israel has been committing a genocide in Gaza for the past still it's ongoing two in something years.
Speaker 2: The other day I.
Speaker 5: Got a message on our Instagram basically being like I love the work you do. You do really important things, and you know there is racism and there is poverty, but from there to say that there's ethnic cleansing. Come on, like, I don't know if I can support your work anymore, and basically also meet that with love as well to be like I hear you. This is the policies that people in our government, our advanced sing this is who our army is protecting. This is what ethnic cleansing means. And in that situation, I can also turn to my community and my friends, Like I have a friend that what he does for work is kind of gathering all this information of articles and everything that's coming out to educate. So all right, cool, I can use those articles to help teach this person that yes, there is in fact ethnic cleansing happening in the West Bank, like.
Speaker 4: And you know it's not even like this like oh, how do I say?
Speaker 5: It's like no, actually, our like our government officials are saying this like smutly said it the other day, right, So yeah, but yeah, it is this.
Speaker 3: Kind of like open door. Yeah for Israeli is that maybe not? They're not there yet.
Speaker 5: Also, yeah, I think that it's like it's it's hard, it's like really hard because you're at this point where it's like very far from where those people are that are like beginning. And also you have sometimes resentment towards your society, and most of sometimes a lot of the time you have resented. I'm always as nothing with like in general, when someone wants to is asking a question, I think that is just like amazing and important and cool. Let's have a conversation about this. At least they're asking, yeah, and they're wanting to learn, they're questioning something. That's that's the way forward. And with that being said, you know, the past two enough years have also been excruciating living in this society, like you're living in a genocidal society and you're around people that could justify certain, you know, acts, certain war crimes. Yeah, you kind of find yourself not wanting to engage, not wanting to love, not wanting to teach, not wanting not that I'm the one teaching, like we're all learning together about this and hosting, but obviously not wanting to have conversations sometimes because you're just like, well, you see what's been happening online over the past two years, and you still can't comprehend what is going on. Then go, I don't know what I can do to help that. But then I have to remind myself that if I am here. If I'm living here, I have a responsibility and that is to, yeah, facilitate more meetings conversations in which people will be exposed to the injustice is being committed in our name. And that's a problem with liberal Zionism as well, because liberal Zionists will be like, oh my god, yeah, it's terrible what's happening in the West Bank settlers blah blah blah. But like those still send their you know, their boys to go be pilots in the army and you know, bomb children. And it's kind of like finding the way to kind of be like, no, no, you can't, like you can't be against that, and then before that.
Speaker 3: Right kind of demonstrate the cognitive dissonance to them. There's kind of a contradiction here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I think you've just a little no, no, not at all. This is extremely rich in thought provoking content. I want to ask what kind of organizations does Culture of Solidarity engage with, whether in Israel and in Palestine, and kind of related to that, what role do you see an organization such as this a mutual aid organization? What role do you envision for yourselves in Palestinian liberation, Like what role are you intending to pay? You kind of touched on it already in terms of like teaching and learning within your own society.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we work with a lot of different organizations because it is very important for us to you know, not reinvent the wheel and kind of learn with our other organizations, whether it's Gisha who talk about the actual words of Gisha's access and they talk about access in Gaza, the access to water, to electricity, the infrastructure and Gaza, and then we could host tours every.
Speaker 4: Time it's a different organization. This guy Money in our group.
Speaker 5: He runs these tours and he will do with Breaking the Silence and Masafetta, he'll do one with the Zoho, which I'm sure, Yeah, you can probably link all of these in.
Speaker 4: The definitely will. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was Machia, which is the Charles Klora Muncia, which is literally down the street from where I'm at right now, and it's the beach of Yaffa and the village that once existed there, or even with a woman named Hilaharel to go through a tour within the half abandoned Israeli new bus station and they're all tied to injustices. They're all tied to something that was or was there and isn't anymore, or atrocities currently happening.
Speaker 4: Obviously, also when the in the negative, to.
Speaker 5: Learn about the different Vedouin communities and the injustices that they're experiencing. And then so that's yeah, it's called touring and solidarity. And then we'll have I mean, honestly, probably any left, radical left or organization that you could probably think of, we collaborate with them in some way or another. It's a pretty tight knit community and this has been a beautiful thing of like trying to you know, always there's always a knits and grits of blah blah blah, but I mean, uplifting each other and collaborating with each other is so important to not feel alone as Israelis against the occupation, Yeah, and for an actual true democracy in the land or liberation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you work with Palestinian groups within Israel and in the occupied territories?
Speaker 4: Yes, we do.
Speaker 5: We worked with in organization in Gaza called Dignity for Palestine and we did a bit big flower fundraiser last year. And we've worked with organizations that are like you know, physicians for human rights that are both you know, Israeli and Palestinian lad and then we have our annual Ramandan campaign that I was telling you about now, and that's what rabbis for human rights who are not Palestinian, but we do work with different groups within Palestine. One of the people that was, you know, the main receiver and distributor of these boxes was Adadarin, who was murdered in July by settler you know, on Levy.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's working directly with communities.
Speaker 5: Second question was what role do you left this Israelis have right now?
Speaker 4: Is that the question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, what role do you envision either for yourself as you you personally or for Israeli left in Palestinian liberation?
Speaker 4: I know it's a big question.
Speaker 5: That is a big question, and it's an important question, and I think as long as we are living on this land, it's our response. It's I mean, I mean, I think it's everyone's responsibility to free Palestine and for the Palestinian people to have equal rights, to have access to whatever they wish for under a government that sees both counterparts equally, and the obviously accountability and reparations that would need to happen in order to get there. I think that our responsibility as Israeli left is to keep fighting for that, is to keep fighting for that.
Speaker 4: Within Israel and within Palestine.
Speaker 5: So, whether it's protective presence in the West Bank, protective presence is a kind of program where you sleep at different Palestinian homes every night just in case settlers come in the middle of the night to attack or the army comes in the middle of the night to attack, and you're there serving a protective presence. You obviously have a privilege. You have an Israeli passport, you're Jewish. That is a privilege on this land. And to be there, you know, obviously you don't decide what goes down. You ask each family how they want to deal with this, and you serve that. So I think protective presence is one of the most important things Israeli's israel leftists can do, because yeah, like I said earlier, it's just getting worse and worse, and it's at a high. It's always been bad, but the past. Honestly, I think since no other land came out, I think it's like gotten a lot of attention on them. Essentially, well, there's always been attacked by settlers of course, yeah, but I think that, Yeah, in the past year it's gotten to an all time high.
Speaker 3: Well, there's also kind of like the general impunity that the Israeli government and the settler movement like exactly not yet, especially after Biden left, like not that he was holding them accountable, but at course certainly gloves were off after that for sure.
Speaker 4: No, no, exactly, that is very true.
Speaker 5: But basically in the last year two years, it's gotten much much worse. So I think Israeli left us have a responsibility to be serve as protective presence for one number one, I think number two, they have a responsibility to educate their society and to not only educate, but to constantly learn. I feel like so many people in Israel are in just like this constant victimhood of like the whole world is against us, like everyone's anti Semitic, blah blah blah blah blah, and like from that to what actually I mean, Obviously there's anti Semitism, obviously there are people not saying that there isn't of course, but without any accountability for what we have turned our backs to over the past two and a half years, Like there's so much work to be done, and I think, you know the easy way, whether it's a Western.
Speaker 4: Or abroad telling you like, well, why do you live.
Speaker 5: In Palestine You should leave blah blah blah, or whether it's a Palestinian in the West Bank being like you can't leave, like you have, we need you here. Obviously, it's an unnatural ecosystem to have, you know, leftist activist running through villages in the West I mean, but but that's the reality of things. So as long as I am here, living on this land and where I'm from, I'm going to do everything in my power to resist what is happening and to learn together with other people. It's it's hard because we're not we're a really tiny community like that. You know, there's people that again are against you know, all the war blah blah blah, like but yeah, but not seeing how that is like interconnected with the entire premise of this state. There's a lot of work to be done, and it's hard because you're also bitter, like you know, and you want to have compassion within you're bitter.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, ah, you're like you've made so much work for Yeah, I mean, also I get it.
Speaker 4: I've been there. I wasn't raised in a left home.
Speaker 5: I know what it is to be raised up conservative, right wing, you know, Zionists, and I'm obviously very far from that. But I know what it's like to have to leave everything you've been raised on. I know what it's like to have family not want to talk to you. I know what it's like to have friends not want to be friends with you anymore, to have so many people around you're telling you that you're wrong but you know that this is the right thing to do. And I get that, and I have compassion for that. But then there's also just like sometimes you're.
Speaker 3: Just like, yeah, no, I can't I can't imagine. I mean, it's a very difficult journey to travel through. I understand the sentiment that you've expressed that like the last two years should have been enough. Yeah, but also it's like this whole identity is fragile and people are human beings, and like it's difficult for them to like, yeah, I'm not saying anything new, just reiterating what you said about like unlearning, Like it's it's an extremely difficult thing to go through, I think.
Speaker 5: But do you understand like, you know, you're a Palestinian and like me complaining about this thing that we're doing. Like it just feels like people know what's been going on, but on Palestinians that have family friends that are subjected to this violence and that are themselves subjected to that violence abroad because of being Palestinian, and then what is happening here.
Speaker 4: It's like two different worlds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's funny for me to even like be like, oh yeah, like to even try to explain that, because I'm sure people will be listening to this and be like, oh, like, you know, why are they complaining? Like, but then you know your society, and you know what they have or haven't been exposed to, and you know what they've chosen not to look at to not necessarily at this point what they have or haven't been exposed, because I think that's also a bit of a kind of forgiving card, because I think at this point you still call it Ai. If you still call it like, there's some deep reckoning to do there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But anyways, I just feel like it's such two different worlds and I think that I think as Israeli leftists that live here, you know, pay taxes in this land. We have a huge responsibility, if not the number one responsibility to posts any in liberation. And yeah, I think that's a very long answer to your questions.
Speaker 3: No, No, I mean I think it's yeah, it's a fair answer. I just you know, think to myself that, like it's not coincidence, and it's not to take away from the agency of like individuals. Obviously, everybody has choices to make, like Israelis have choices to make. They can choose to believe or not believe, or they can choose to turn their back. But at the same time, it's like systems have led them to point where they dehumanize to this extent that they can see the videos and either make excuses or pretend they're not real, you know. And so it's like the work is to to disrupt the systems, you know. I think in that way, I think about like structural constraints that is more worthwhile in my effort. If I wasn't israel leftist, I'm not, But if I was in your shoes, like, that's more worthwhile in my effort than to be like kind of demoralized by individuals. If you know, if you understand what I mean, I guess that kind of leads me to my next question. I mean, I know that October seventh was such kind of like a breaking point, but obviously the Israeli left like was in the minority before as well. But what would you say, kind of like in the last two years and kind of to think about moving forward, what are the biggest challenges that the Israeli left faces to continue in its effort, whether it's to educate or to be a type of protective presence, whether physically in the West Bank or in their presence in Israel.
Speaker 5: Well, obviously it's our you know, fascist government and fascist society, you know, anyone that is like actively oppressing every minority on this land and especially Palestinians. So I think our biggest threat is our government at the moment. But I think that our biggest, my biggest threat, if I could think of, like, what is the biggest threat is apathy. I think, like people not caring, people not getting up and leaving their houses and doing things and organizing and mobilizing just letting this happen.
Speaker 4: And I think on paper, the biggest obstacle.
Speaker 5: Would probably be our government that are you know, acting in such a fascist, fanatic, nazi manner, and I think, yeah, as an individual being a part of grassroots commun unities and seeing, you know, at the end of the day, there are people that are going out there and actively like murdering Palestinians, that are you know, pushing for policies to deport children Filipino children or children of migrant workers. There's so many injustices towards different people, and there are people that are like actively going out and like fighting for these like terrible, terrible, fanatic ideologies. And I think whenever we people don't. I said this in a podcast recently, and someone told me, like, wait, you have to take up that part, because it sounds like you're like voting, like you'rely grooting for the.
Speaker 4: Bascies to active Like.
Speaker 5: No, no, no. The fact is that there are people that are doing these really really bad things, and when we're not countering them, when we are just letting them happen and be like, oh, yeah, that sucks, but not doing anything about it, not using our privilege or a voice or a microphone to resist that, then we're conforming with it. And I know that's not fun to think that. It's not fun. It's not fun. To like go or organize protests. It's not fun to do a lot, even though actually there's a lot of things that are really beautiful as well, being in the West Bank, being with people, playing with children, like these are beautiful, beautiful things.
Speaker 4: It's not like we're doing that.
Speaker 5: But I think when it's within Israeli society, when it's organizing protests, when it's joining a protest as a number, when it's you know, learning and doing un learning, it's not always easy and it's not always someone's first yeah decision to make.
Speaker 4: But I think that when you don't do that, I think that is the biggest threat.
Speaker 5: You know, in the Holocaust and many different atrocities over the years, the thing that like stood out most was people that were silent and people that yeah, didn't resist in one way or another.
Speaker 4: Like that movie Zone of Interest, Like oh my god, that movie.
Speaker 5: That movie just shaped these past two and a half years. Like I saw it a few months after October seventh, and I just every moment that life just existed in Israel and you saw warplanes flying above you, and you know what's going happen. You hear too, like you hear bombs falling you hear, and everyone's just like gotten used to it, and you're just like, we're living in zone of interest.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's wild.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I think it's like a constant question of do I want to be a part of the society do I want to fight?
Speaker 4: Life would be much easier.
Speaker 5: If I moved away and I was just like fuck this place, which is not a bad thing to do. I have many friends that have done this, and I understand it. It's really hard. You know, life would be easier if I just left. It's not the I don't want to say, it's not the sexy narrative to be like like, look we can both you know, Look, you know, let's learn. It's not fun to be talking and trying to reason with fascists like or people that are in deep.
Speaker 4: Denial of reality. You're really well intertwined with.
Speaker 5: But I think it's my moral responsibility as an Israeli to be here and as long as I can and help create platforms for our society to learn and resist.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I think, like you said, there are different pathways, but I can definitely understand like the feeling you have that it's like an application of responsibility. Having been a part of the society to some degree to yeah, throw your hands essentially.
Speaker 4: One last question.
Speaker 3: I was watching the documentary Coexistence My Ass, which is an incredible documentary. I really encourage people to watch it if they can. And it's filmed and it incorporates that moment of October se and shows to I mean, I think implies though of course I don't know how widely this applies, but it shows and implies how parts of the left fell off, you know, after October seventh. Do you feel like, now we're twenty twenty six, we're recording February twenty second, twenty twenty six, do you feel like people are starting.
Speaker 4: To like come back.
Speaker 5: I don't know, or did just the left get smaller. I think the radical left has become just much more tight knit. And yeah, whoever's a part of it is kind of a part of it. People are always welcome to join and be a part, but it's kind of, you know, you kind of have your usual suspects at this point, and I think the broader like I don't know, liberal Zionists that will call themselves left, and Israel just like isn't really left because they're talking about a democracy within an apartheid state. They are, like I said earlier, sending their sons to or I'm not saying that's an easy thing, but at the same time opposing the war and not acknowledging Palestinian suffering. And I think there's become many people and this is from my personal experience, that just are like like I said, apathetic, kind of like looking forward with their hands on the sides of each of their eyes, trying not to see what's happening. You know, there are people thousands, tens of thousands in the streets protesting. You know, they'll be waving Israeli flags. That's hard for me. I don't feel like I'm in the group that would ever wave a flag. And I think they see themselves as left. Yeah again, like I said, like, you can't be fighting for human rights, liberal ideologies within an apartheid state. You can't fight for democracy in an apartheid state. Like we have to touch the root of this, all every injustice happening on this land or in Israel in forty eight, Like, in my opinion, the root of it is the occupation. We've planted roots on rotten soil, We've pushed people out of their homes and took them as our own, and we're not really willing to reconcile what we've become, what we've done. And I think only when that starts to happen there could be some sort of future here on this land for both people. But as long as we're not acknowledging the atrocities we are committing, and the atrocities are silence is allowing to perpetuate, then the left here is very very tiny.
Speaker 4: And I say that not to toot our own horn.
Speaker 5: You know, it's not in a way of like's not we're not on a moral high ground, Like maybe there was a moment where I did feel that way in a.
Speaker 4: Sense of like I know and you don't know.
Speaker 5: It's like, but then you know very quickly in order to turn your activism into something sustainable, you have to remind yourself this is what I believe in. This is love, and it's not from bitterness, and it's not from being on a moral high ground like I'm doing this because I believe in it as me as DD and I really hope other people join and other people also open their hearts to these injustices and realize that in order for everyone to have a just reality of just future, then you have to fight for everyone to have those rights as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much for that. I always say, like, I mean, I think this is applicable lots of places. I say it here in the United States, like when there was a crackdown on pro Palestine protesters and just the complete reversal of freedom of speech and everything like that because they happened to be pro Palestine. I said, you know, this is eroding the tenuous democracy you have. It's democracy for all of us or none of us. And in Israel it's like, you can be liberal or you can call yourself the left and advocate in this way. But unless, like you said, you realize what the construction of the state and its continuation kind of like this endless ethnic cleansing project that's happening in the territories, It's like, unless you address that, it will bleed into you.
Speaker 4: So it's you.
Speaker 3: Know, for a variety of reasons, moral reasons, of course, but also self interest. Dahlia Schenlin has an interesting article about this and an interesting argument about this that I'll link in the show notes. And I would say she's a believer in maybe a Confederation or something like that. But her analysis is the occupation ruined the potential of Israeli democracy.
Speaker 4: Like I said, she comes at it.
Speaker 3: From a very kind of different angle I think than you do, but still is a reasonable argument at the end of it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, thank you so much, Danielle.
Speaker 3: This has been a really rich conversation and I think that the listeners will benefit a lot from having this laid out. And of course I'll include everything in the show notes about the groups that we mentioned.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for inviting me. And yeah, I hope I didn't talk your head off, No, not at all. This is very thank you so much.
Speaker 7: This is it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis reporting from the New York State Capitol. In the early early morning of Wednesday, February twenty fifth, I rode on a bus from the snowy streets of the Financial District in Lower Manhattan up to Albany, the New York State Capitol. The bus arrived at the Armory Arena shortly before ten am. Inside there was coffee and breakfast, signs and posters tax the rich embroidered beanies, and over a thousand New Yorkers gathered to tell Kathy Hochel and the New York State Legislature that it's time to tax the rich. After recovering from the morning bus ride, a rally was held in the Armory Arena, hosted by New York City Councilman Chosay, with speakers from local unions like the Nurses Association ten ninety nine SCIU, the Taxi Workers Alliance, immigrant justice organizations, childcare, housing and education advocates, as well as the co chair of the New York City DSA. Following the speeches, the crowd practiced chants and protest songs ahead of the march to the Capitol. The rally at the Armory just wrapped up. Now a thousand or so people are marching on Washington towards the State Capitol Building in Albany. The crowd is now in front of the Legislative building. There's some New York taxicabs honking outside. The New York d Essay marching band Why we Are.
Speaker 8: We Need? Why we are the workers?
Speaker 6: A little bit Matter we Need?
Speaker 7: Is twelve thirty and the crowd is now approaching the New York State Capitol Building. The crowd is stretching halfway around the square in front of all these government buildings, and still marching forward. I'm about to enter the State Capitol building. After about a twenty five to thirty minute march and some chanting outside, a steady stream of people are now flowing into the Capitol.
Speaker 6: You guys gotta have to exit. We cannot take any more.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 7: I have made it inside the Capitol building barely. The last person omitted in the top security section by the main entrance. But now I'm down at the lower level, the concourse, and as you can hear, a massive crowd is approaching the security gate in the lower concourse, taking up the entirety of that corridor, and just now have entered the security gate area of the Capitol. We'll return to Socialist January sixth later this episode, but first some context on why this protest is happening and what it's hoping to achieve. On January first, Democratic Socialist a Zoron Mumdani was sworn in as mayor of New York City. But you don't magically get your social democracy paradise once a new mayor is sworn in. Getting elected and taking power is just the first step. Governor Hokel has been resistant to raising taxes, and Zoron has said he's open to other funding avenues, but that a small tax increase on the wealthiest New Yorkers and corporations would be the fairest method of funding his agenda. Since taking office, Mayor Mamdani has decided to focus on governing and fostering a working relationship with Kathy Hokeel, rather than directing energy towards another uphill electoral battle that would create a purely adversarial relationship between the Mayor and the governor, making any concessions much more difficult in the interim. But extra pressure still must be applied to Governor Hockel in order to secure the funding for the Mamdani mandate that voters delivered in the twenty twenty five election. So, rather than discarding the grassroots organizing apparatus that got Mamdani elected, after the election, that apparatus and its network of volunteers spun off into a new organization called Our Time, which, in coordination with the New York City DSA, organizes door to door canvassing, phone banking, community events, and rallies to win an affordable New York City and help enact Mamdani's policy agenda. Achieving Mamdani's campaign promises was already going to be a tall task, But then early into the new administration, the Mayor's office and comptroller discovered the city was facing an unexpected financial crisis in the form of a twelve billion dollar deficit left by former Mayor Eric Adams. This budget crisis was due to years of financial mismanagement and the under budgeting of essential services like rental and cash assistance, shelters, health insurance, and special education. While in office, Eric Adams covered up this massive budget deficit, leaving the gaps grossly understated, gaps that were made worse by divestment in New York City by the state under former Governor Andrew Cuomo. Since the financial crisis of the seventies, the New York City mayor has been required by law to have a balanced budget. So rather than sweeping this under the rug by continuing to cook the city's books like his predecessor, Zoron chose complete transparency about the crisis he has inherited and how his administration will attempt to solve it. Zoron signed an executive order to designate chief Savings Officers in every city agency to quote, streamlined processes and eliminate waste. Through his relationship with Governor Kathy Hochel, the mayor secured one point five billion dollars in state aid last month. That money, combined with higher than expected Wall Street revenues, new savings measures, and eliminating inefficiencies and bureaucratic waste, have shrunk the deficit to five point five billion, still a painful gap to fill. In the preliminary budget, unveiled February seventeenth, the mayor laid out two paths to close this gap. The first is a two percent income tax increase on New Yorker's making over a million dollars a year, as well as a tax on the most profitable corporations. If that doesn't happen, the city will be forced to use the limited tools at its disposal by rating the Rainy Day Fund and raising city property tax by nine point five percent. Mayor Mamdani says this second option is one of last resort, as the property tax is the only mechanism for revenue the city has complete control of. The preliminary budget has face criticism for falling short of promises to increase funding to parks and libraries. The library budget is zero point one point one percent less than Mamdani campaigned on, and the park budget remains flat rather than boosting it to one percent of the total budget as hoped. Though this is still preliminary and subject to change. This budget does contain five hundred million dollars for new programmatic spending, including new funding for shelter services, mental health care, and the Emergency Food Program, and cancels in Eric Adams's plan to add five thousand more NYPD officers, Though as promised, their budget remains effectively the same. Mayor Mamdani says that funding for his proposed Department of Community Safety will be covered in the executive budget later this April. A number of Mamdani's key policies don't relate to the city budget. For example, making buses free will require deals with the state the MTA, but Mamdanie just appointed six new people to the Rent Guidelines Board, making a rent freeze more likely. In his second week in office, mcdonnie announced a partnership with the governor to provide universal childcare for kids under five in New York State and in New York City, expand pre K the free three K program and free childcare for two year olds, which the state will fully fund for the first two years on top of the city budget crisis. The tax the Rich protests are also in the backdrop of Trump's tax cuts and the dismantling of the social safety net, calls to tax the richer, calls to fund local services, and whether the massive cuts to snap food stamps and medicaid in Trump's One Big, Beautiful Bill. The Tax the Rich campaign writes, quote, if we don't tax the ritch, millions of New Yorkers will lose healthcare or go hungry. New York can afford to stand up to Trump's agenda unquote. At the Albany rally, City Councilman chi Osa spoke about how New York State has over one hundred billionaires and New York actually gained thirteen thousand millionaires in twenty twenty four alone. This fight to tax the rich is a fight that the unions are united on, as demonstrated by the attendees and representatives present at the Albany rally.
Speaker 10: Everyone needs to feel the low United Auto Orders Region.
Speaker 5: Nine a.
Speaker 6: National stand Christian.
Speaker 10: We gotta give this one a shout out because they just came off a historic strike and a huge, huge Contractman.
Speaker 1: You you are saying Nurses.
Speaker 11: Association, Media Patres.
Speaker 10: And President Sciu. Not the union is network, the Doctor's Council, the New York Taxi Workers signs, New.
Speaker 2: Yorker's United for Child's Care.
Speaker 1: What lot is quality education?
Speaker 5: That we are burning family is mard.
Speaker 8: But we really appreciate your here.
Speaker 10: And when the coalition this strong made no mistake.
Speaker 1: We are going to overcome the political power of the billionaire class.
Speaker 2: But we aren't going to sap.
Speaker 3: The rich or I really are we can inform.
Speaker 7: This coalition went up to albody pushing for a handful of bills currently under consideration. The first is a progressive state income tax bill, which will create new tax brackets starting at one million dollars, so that as people earn millions more dollars in income, they pay a slightly higher share in taxes. This would raise an estimated twenty one billion dollars annually. The second bill is called the Fair Share Act, which seeks to address how New York City essentially charges a flat income tax if you earn fifty thousand dollars or five million dollars, where you pay practically the same rate of roughly three point nine percent. The Fair Share Act seeks to add a two percent surcharge to those with incomes of over one million dollars per year, which would raise about four billion dollars annually. The third bill is a tax on the most profitable corporations, a corporate tax bill ensuring companies doing business in New York State with over two point five million in profits pay what they owe in taxes. This proposal would raise seven billion dollars annually. And finally, a bill which could be funded by some of the former tax bills is the Universal Childcare Act, which would ensure free, year round, full day childcare without means testing, and guarantee that all childcare workers are paid a genuine living wage. As of now, twenty two New York City council people have signed on to tax the rich by supporting the Fair Share Act. Only four more council people are needed to reach a majority. So with that context, let's return to the Albany protest, both outside and inside the New York Capitol Building.
Speaker 8: Why oday billionaires make them pay.
Speaker 4: We pay taxes?
Speaker 5: Why don't pay billionaires make them pay we pay taxes?
Speaker 2: Whid ot day billionaires.
Speaker 7: I was the asked person to be allowed into the Capitol building. There is hundreds, hundreds and hundreds of people outside now trying to get in to tell the politicians, representatives and the governor that they want to tax the rich. I am in the lower concourse of the Capitol building, barely getting through security on the top floor because there's so many people, not because I was inherently dangerous, but now a large, large group of people are coming in via the lower concourse, about to reach the main security gate at the lower level. Looks like a few hundred down this corridor about to enter the Capitol holding signs taking up the entire passageway.
Speaker 2: It's the Coney group.
Speaker 7: It is the Public University Union that has appeared. Later that day, I interviewed someone with PSC, the Cooney staff Union.
Speaker 12: I'm Liz Stevenson. I am an academic advisor at City Tech, which means I'm a member of the psc Quny Union.
Speaker 7: Why is a PC here at Albany today?
Speaker 4: So PSC.
Speaker 12: I'm on the Legislative Committee of the PSC, and many folks from our committee as well as other PSC members, have come to Albany because we really want to see fair taxation in New York State. You know, right now a lot of millionaires and billionaires are not paying their fair share, especially as a result of Trump's tax cuts, and that means that we're not seeing the services we need, and certainly at CuNi, we're not seeing the funding that we need to make our schools quality schools with safe and healthy facilities. Students are not getting.
Speaker 5: The services that they need.
Speaker 12: Class sizes are large, so we want to see more full time faculty, We want to see more academic advisors, we want to see more mental health counselors, and generally we want to see better facilities for CuNi. And we know that the only way that we can get the funding that we need for many services, including CuNi, is by taxing the rich. We really need to raise revenue in the state.
Speaker 7: So there's the three tax bills, the income, the corporate, and the New York City specific one. But on the on the PC flyers, it's also another bill or act that is being pushed for specifically to help CUNEY get more funding. Can you talk about that aspect of the fight here?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 12: A little known former state legislator named Zoron Mamdani wrote this bill called the Repair Act, And what the Repair Act would do is allow the state to collect property taxes from NYU and Colombia and then use that money to fund public higher education like CuNi. So right now, you know, as technically as nonprofits, NYU and Colombia do not pay any property tax. In many places around the country, there are similar institutions that still make what we call pilots, so payments in lieu of taxes, and YUM in Columbia don't even do that. So it would take a constitutional amendment at the state level to require them to pay property taxes, and that's what the Repair Act would allow us to do. It would have to go through multiple legislatures in order to get a constitutional amendment that would require them to pay property taxes. That's another way to raise revenue for CuNi.
Speaker 7: Liz also told me that PSC is fighting for a quote unquote new deal for Cooney because for the past few decades there's been divestment in public higher education across the country and especially in New York. Under Cuomo, Cooney suffered from defunding and is now currently suffering from chronic understaffing and facilities in decay. All While student enrollment has increased, teachers have resigned or retired and not been replaced. So PSC is fighting for a renewed in vestment to hire more full time staff and repair and maintain facilities to improve not just their working conditions but their students' learning conditions. A part of the new deal for Cooney is also fighting for the first sixty credits to be free for all students. Once the crowd outside managed to find a way to enter the Capitol through the alternative entrances, groups split off to march around the interior perimeter while others lobbied legislators. Lunch was set up on the third floor. After a quick bite, even more people dispersed through the capital complex to hand out flyers to legislators and their staff, while small groups lobbied door to door in the Legislative Office building and organizers attended private meetings. The action was timed to catch politicians and capital staff while they were on their own lunch break as they walked around the Empire State Plaza and eventually back to the chambers. By early afternoon, as a grand finale, hundreds of people packed the corridor from the Legislative offices to the Assembly and Senate, lining both sides of the hallway with chanting union members and organizers handing flyers to politicians and staff who hurried through the corridor. Supportive Assembly members cheered on the protest as they walked through the tunnel. That is the current state of the tax the Rich corridor.
Speaker 11: Inside wit side?
Speaker 7: Are you on.
Speaker 5: Side?
Speaker 12: Side?
Speaker 8: Are you?
Speaker 7: Around three pm, the crowd left the corridor, boarded buses outside the Capital Complex and rode back to New York City, just in time to catch the sunset. Meanwhile, at a press conference on pre K and three K enrollment, Mayor Zoron Mamdani was asked about his absence from the Albany Tax the Rich Rally.
Speaker 9: Hey, Mayor, how are you doing?
Speaker 6: Jay?
Speaker 9: There's a Tax the Rich rally today in Albany. You're not there, obviously, even though taxing the rich has been one of your consistent calls to.
Speaker 10: Raise revenue for the city.
Speaker 9: So I wondering if you could talk a little bit about why you decided not to be there. Were you worried about irking the governor on this issue? And secondly, do you think it disappoints people in this movement that you've called for that, but you're you're not necessarily at this rally.
Speaker 13: So I make it clear time and time again that I believe in the importance of taxing the wealthiest New Yorkers that little bit more, as well as the most profitable corporations, and doing so while also ending the drain that has long characterized our city's fiscal relationship with the state. And I've said this both because it's important to create a fair at tax system and also because of the fact that we're facing a five point four billion dollar fiscal deficit at this time, the likes of which we haven't seen since the Great Recession, and my not attending one event does not change in any way the strength with which I believe this, the urgency with which I believe we have to respond to it. And I'm thankful for New Yorkers who continue to make it clear that they too want to build a city that everyone who calls it home can afford. The Governor and I are in constant communication, and we are always looking to build a healthier, stronger city. I'm appreciative of our partnership in that, and I know we have a long budget process to go through, and I'm encouraged by the beginnings of it.
Speaker 7: Rally, attendance was lower than organizers hoped. The early morning start and blizzer a few days prior likely effect and turnout, though as already discussed, many unions did sign on to the action and send representative members. Organizing on a grand scale right after what's perceived as a huge victory like winning an election can actually be difficult, even for a group like Our Time that's working to use the organizing apparatus that got Mamdani elected to help enact his policy agenda. Not as many people will be keen on canvassing right after spending six months canvassing for an election, even if the election was a victory. Our Time aimed to send twenty five thousand Tax the Rich letters to state legislators by the end of January, but as of now the website lists under seven thousand letters sent. But the Albany takeover protest was just the opening act. The state budget is set to be finalized by March thirty first, and there will be Tax the Rich events across the state leading up to the end of the month. This next week and a half, New York City DSA and Our Time will host a Week of Action or a week of tax shin to increase pressure on the legislature and the governor as they head into budget negotiations, proving the diversity of this coalition. Confusingly, there are two different time spans listed for the Week of Action across the social media and org websites March fifth through the tenth or March seventh through the fourteenth.
Speaker 2: But regardless.
Speaker 7: Between the fifth and the fourteenth, there are organized actions happening across the five boroughs and statewide in Buffalo, Hudson Valley, Ithaca, Rochester, Syracuse, and Westchester. There'll be door knocking, phone banking, collecting petition signatures, and a kickoff happy hour social at Solus in the East Village on Thursday, March fifth. To quote from our time quote, what happens in Albany this winter will shape Zorn's first year in office and determine whether working families get the relief they need. We have until March to build enough pressure to win a state budget that funds free childcare, backfills the cuts, and secures resources to do so much more unquote, beyond running the biggest city in the country. As a secondary goal, Momdani seeks to provide an example that left wing politicians can responsibly govern and that left wing policies can make people's lives better and more affordable, and New Yorkers are organizing to make that example as strong as it can be.
Speaker 10: Where you are, Hi, everyone, and welcome to the show. I'm joined today by Gordayen, who's a journalist from Kurdistan who's based in Germany, and we're going to discuss the bombing of Iran. How are you got in?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 11: Thank you again for inviting me, and yeah, I'm ready to talk about what's happening in Iran right now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Yeah, it's a lot, a lot is happening. I mean we should begin, I suppose by if someone happens to have been avoiding the news and has somehow managed to avoid learning what is happening, can we give like a small summary of the event sort of happened since Friday night US time.
Speaker 11: So yeah, it was early morning, around eight nine in the morning in Iran time, that the Israeli army attacked the center of Tehran where Ali Khameni's house, which is known as Bete Aberti, the Leader's house, was located. And apparently the Iranian officials were having a very important meeting there, and following that there were more attacks across Tehran and other cities. And by night, as the attacks were going on, As the strikes were going on, bennam and Antonio came on TV and he said that I have some news. I have some information that confirms that Alikamani is dead, which caused a lot of panic and excitement among the people, and everybody was really excited and they were waiting for this to be confirmed. And then some people came out and said, no, it's not true. But after some hours, the Iranian state media, the TV channels all started confirming that. So following that the attacks did not stop. They were still going on. And then the American Army also joined. This is a completely coordinated cooperation between US and Israel. So as they were attacking different IRGC bases and the facilities belonging to the government, the Iranian government started attacking the neighboring countries. They attacked Uaa, they attacked Katar, they attacked Bahrain, they attacked Iraq, and they attacked also Iraqi Curtistan region, and they were just mainly targeting the US basis or facilities belonging to the US, but soon after they started attacking civilian buildings like hotels, like just randomly attacking different directions, And at the same time they also started sending missiles and drones towards Israel, which majority of them were intercepted. So they've been attacking these neighboring countries since the beginning of this war, and they have been specifically targeting Iraqi Kurdistan because first, the US has a lot of big military bases there in Iraq and Iraqi Kuddhistan region, and at the same time they are the Kurdish parties from Iran who are based there and the regime has been seeing them as one of the major threats since decades. So since the beginning of this whole war, they have been targeting these Kurdish parties a lot, and they also attacked there is a refugee base that the families of the Kurdish forces basically lived there. They also attacked there, but luckily nobody was killed or injured, but some leagues were damaged. And they attacked Erbil with drones and missiles several times, which were all mainly intercepted by the US. Air defense systems because of the remainings of the missiles and the drones that were falling down from the sguise. Some people were lightly injured or some buildings were damaged. But yeah, still it's a crazy thing to see because previously in the past years, Iran had attacked or built several times and also other regions, but the US or the other countries that were there, they didn't really intercept the drones or the missiles. There's also something new that we're seeing. It's also important to know that Iran has also attacked Cypress, like British military bases were targeted there, but the drones or the missiles were sent from Lebanon. What's going on right now is the full scare war, and I think when you look at it, it's nothing like what we've seen before. If you want to compare it to what happened in Iraq the US invasion, this is completely different. I think it's it's even larger than that because Iran is a very big country and there are hundreds or maybe thousands of points across the country that have been targeted with heavy bombings inside Tehran, around Tehran. It's also really incredible to know, because the amount of intel that you need for this is also really a lot. I've seen videos, I've seen footage, I've seen reports that some random checkpoints on some remote places, especially in Curtison, we're targeted. So this is also something that shows that how really coordinated and well planned this attack and this war is. I want to jump into something else. A lot of people areally focused on these major attacks, major developments like yeah, they're attacking Dubai, they're attacking Doh. These are all happening, and of course the civilians they are also in danger. I think somebody in Doha was killed in the first day. It was just a civilian that was killed by the remainings of a massol or a drone. And this has made things really hard for the people on the ground. Many people are trapped in the airports on the borders. So this is something that's happening to the people outside of I round, but inside Iran there is massive bombings everywhere wherever the iergy or the intelligence service has a facility. And at the same time, the regime has cut off the internet, even though the normal phone lines barely work, and it's just so hard and almost impossible to get really precise information about what's happening in the cities and the towns around, just like what happened in the in the early January, like during the process. Only a few people have access to the internet, and it's very limited. Yeah, they share some videos with channels and like with news agencies, but it's very limited. For example, in my hometown today, some of the major I ergency bases and intelligence facilities that were some of the most important ones in western side of Iran, or as we call it, Iranian critisonal Rochalot, they were all bombed and I've been trying to contact people to see what happened exactly. I'm sure that there are civilians killed because the regime also has put all these bases inside the cities, near parks, near hospitals, near schools, near just random houses in the city. So a lot of people are possibly killed, but we don't know how many who are they. So this is also like not just in my city, in other cities to it's the same. This is also something that a lot of people are not talking about. But again, this is war and the bombings are so heavy and they're all being carried out with really advanced weapons, and it's just so hard. And when I talk to the people outside of Iran, the people in Europe, like some of my friends relatives, everybody's worried that what if one of my relatives, what if one of my one of my friends gets get killed randomly on the street. But because of this that people are seeing this also on the news. At least I know this from my family because I was able to talk to them two nights ago. Everybody's staying home, they have enough food for a few weeks, and they're just watching the news. They don't go out, ye, they're just trying to stay safe. But at the same time, in major cities like for me, for example, the people who have a house outside of the city or in a village, or if they have relatives outside of the city, they have moved out because it's it's it's generally safer. There are not many IRGC bases or like government government buildings or whatever in the villages and smaller towns, so this is also happening and people are trying to stay safe as much as possible. And yeah, this is this is something that's going on. And at the same time, when I talk to the people. I mean, I haven't been able to properly talk to anyone because the internet is really bad. But like I talked to my family and they told me that the food prices are really, really really high, and it's really hard to buy food now because everybody's panicking and there are shortages, Like there's some items cannot be found, some like essential items like I don't know, oil, meat and rice and things like that. It's it's it's too hard to find in the market. Yeah, and a lot of people are going to the to the gas stations to get some gas and to be prepared if something happens. But yeah, so this is also something that's going on, and people are worried about that what if it's it's going to get bigger, if it's going to scale it, so, like how are they going to deal with all these shortages. There is one more topic that I want to talk about. I also wrote about it a little bit earlier. I published some texts. It's the topic of ordinary soldiers. Yeah, explain that to people, the civilians who are forced into the military service. This is also like a very sensitive topic because there are probably thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of young men who are about eighteen years old that are forced into the military service because it's mandatory in Iran, and they are forced into this service. And there are also in these military bases, and the military bases are being targeted NonStop, and there is a possibility, I mean not the possibility, of course, it's surreal. Today one person, a young man from Curtison, was confirmed that he was killed, but I'm sure that there are more because we don't have a proper internet connection so we cannot like get all the information. But these military bases are being also targeted, and of course I think a lot of them might get killed or injured. And just from my own family, one of my cousins who is twenty four, he was also forced into this because he wanted to open a business. And like in Iran, a lot of people also, maybe I should give a little bit of context, like in Iran, if you want to open a business, if you want to have a passport or things like that, you have to serve in the army and we'll give you that. So yeah, he just he was listed, like I don't know, about five months ago or so, and then he wasn't in a military base between Tabriz and Urmia and their base was targeted. Luckily, the slipping quarters were not targeted. It was just where the commanders were I think staying. And yeah, I mean I couldn't talk to him, but he told my cousin who I called like a few days ago. He said that the moment that was bombed, everybody just ran out, and then everybody went back in and they took all their belongings and backpacks and they just left the military base and they went home without telling the wiser or something, and they were not there. They're not going to go back there anyways. So this is also something that I am personally worried about, all those young men who are forced to be in the military basis and they are absolutely not a part of the regime. There are just civilians who are forced into this. So that that's also something that I think. It's it's not really discussed because the whole focus right now is just on the major attacks. Which place was targeted or like which I don't know commander was killed or things like that.
Speaker 10: M Yeah, let's take it'll break for advertisements and we'll come back, because I'd like to discuss more of that, like the structure of the Iranian state and who is and it's not like part of it. Okay, we are back, So I think that will be a really good place for us to do some deep dives. Would be people understand this part of the world through the lens of states, because they understand the world through the lens of states because they have been raised in a state system. But I don't think that it's a particularly it's not useful to see everybody who lives in the Iranian state as part of the Iranian state. It doesn't actually give us a good grasp on reality. So perhaps you could explain first of all, perhaps explaining the structures of the Iranian state. When it comes to like there are pro regime militias, right, there are the IRGC, and then we have like the leadership, many of whom are now dead, some of whom we know, some of whom we think are dead. But then we also have and I know you and I have spoken about this before, but it's worth explaining again, right, Like Iran is the ethnically diverse country, so we have people who are ethnically excluded from power. We also have people within the majority ethnicity Persian people who are not pro ratime. So could you perhaps explain like those structures that exist And then you and I spoke about this a little bit before we were recording. But many of the facilities of the regimes, armed forces and repressive forces are right in the middle of town, right right next to civilian building. So perhaps we could explain the consequences of that for civilians as bombs are falling on these facilities.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so if I want to explain how the Iranian state system is, I would simply compare it to a full monarchy, but with a different label. Yeah, there's kink who owns all of the power, and there are the people who are around him that also share some bits of power with him. And there is the army that is in full amount of the leader or the people around him. So this is simply something like that if I want to make it very very simple. But the Iranian state structure is actually quite complicated.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 11: They follow some sort of religious hierarchy that the Supreme Leader is the representative of God on earth and he is leading the Muslim nation until the Ima Mahti, the savior of the world, comes from the skies and saves the world and brings peace. So this is what they actually believe. So the Supreme Leader is actually the person who approves everything. Yeah, there is normal parliament with the representative of the people, but at the same time, there is another type of religious parliament that the sides on the interests of the regime, which consists of some high level clerics or the molas, who are on a higher social level. And at the same time there is also a council of twelve people, six of them are molas, six of them are like lawyers and jurists that they are monitoring the let's say, the whole political process in the government. But whatever happens when you see that, Yeah, this is on paper in theory, this is a system that could possibly work. But all of these organizations or these parts of the regions or layers of the regime that I mentioned, all of them they follow the Supreme Leader and whatever they do has to be approved by him.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, I'm not talking about like I don't know, the things that are decided in the city council or like very lolol. I'm talking about the national interests or things like that, or who's going to be the next president, for example. But basically that parliamentary system or those counselings are basically non functional. They're just there for a show. And at the same time, especially in the past decades, the iergy see it's not only a military force that it's not a militia that follows the leader. It's a whole organized and complicated structure that owns the economy, owns all the institutions in Iran and controls all of them. We're talking about the oil sector, we're talking about industry, we're talking about agriculture. I mean almost everything is owned by them. And i ergy C is a network of countless high level commanders or even let's say non military person that are that are all working together and they are running the country somehow, and of course even if the leader is dead, they still have some structures to continue to carry carry on. And this is how how this structure is in Iran, and I think this is what makes Iran very very different from other states and in the Middle East. And it's something that makes Iran also very different from what for example, if you want to compare it to Suda Mhussein system or in in Libya or in Syria, it's it's very different because the IRGC has put its hands and roots everywhere in every institution. We're talking about schools, we're talking about universities, we're talking about hospitals, We're talking about anything that you can imagine, even in a post office, like we were talking about this earlier, so that there is like in every governmental institution, from universities to schools and hospitals. Bi ERGC always has a specific office in every facility. It's supposed to recruit people to join the resistance, but in fact it's just a it's just an office to observe the people who are working there or the people who are going there for their daily matters. So they have control over everything, and that's what makes this regime very very structured and very hard to just topple in two nights. So that's why they are still resisting. There are still fighting back. There are still even though Israel and America have destroyed the majority of their military basis and facilities, but they are still fighting back. This is also important to understand, I think, yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and like with it being a little bit unclearly, like who is still alive, especially in that top end of the pyramid, right, Like we know Hamad I is dead or we're pretty sure he's dead. Ran has announced he's dead. We know that other people within that religious leadership and political leadership structure are dead. We know that they struck the Assembly of Experts today, which could have removed a good number more of those religious leaders. What they did in Venezuela was that they found somebody who was no less repressive, but was amenable to doing what they wanted right specifically with resources, specifically with oil. You know, we run the risk of a similar thing happening in Iran, right of like someone within the IRGC being like, we will do what you need us to do with oil as long as you allow us to continue murdering the Iranian people as much as we wish. Like, that's a real worry. They will find someone who they think they can do business with. That's what they wanted in Venezuela, right, run in Venezuela are different, they are both allied, but they're there very different countries. But that's a real worry for people.
Speaker 11: I think it's also like with Venezuela, it's it's it's completely different right now, because with Venezuela, America had like a clear person as you said that, yeah, he or she is going to be the next leader or whatever. Yeah, but with Iran, it's not really clear yet. You know, the so called Prince Pahlavi, he is he is always on TV, always on his social media saying that I'm going to come back, I'm going to do this and that. But it's not really clear if USA and America have made a deal with him because he doesn't really have that social base that he claims to have. Yeah, and on the other side, there are the ethnic groups, especially Kurts, Balucci's and Ahuasi Arabs. They're like better organized compared to other ethnic groups. And then today we just saw that Trump has made phone calls with the kurt leaders of these parties and uh, the other parties in Iraqi, Curtisan. This means something. And so yeah, it's it's not really clear that they're going to have a similar plan like Venezuela or they're going to have something completely different for for Iran. We're just waiting to see what's going to happen in the in the upcoming weeks, because it's just a few days that the war is going on. The entire region is.
Speaker 2: In a shock.
Speaker 11: It's it's it's still not clear that how people are going to decide on on their future now because the war is still going on and it's a very very high level, So of course it's It's also like even when I when I was talking to my family the other day, they were telling me, I mean most people in Kurdistan, I would say, majority of the people in Kurdistan, they don't want monarchy back of course, they don't want another form of dictatorship. And they would say, yeah, we want anyone to be installed, but not this Sky, not this Pala. We don't want him. Anyone is better than him. Yeah, so this is also something and I think, yeah, probably if they want to install Raza Palavi, the ethnic groups will not accept it and there's going to be more resistance and therefore more wars.
Speaker 10: Yeah, let's take another break and we'll talk a little bit about that, maybe specifically the Curdish situation, as I know it's of interest in both of us. All right, we're back. So, yeah, you mentioned this piece, right, There was an article. It was a very poorly written article. I will say. For instance, it seemed to think that Talabani and Barzani were Iranian, but Nonetheless, the central thrust of it was correct that that Trump has communicated with the KDP and the p UK. I understand, this is like a lot of acronym coming at people, And so maybe we can just say like political parties in Iraqi, Kurdistan, Southern Kordistan. But that doesn't necessarily tell us anything. I think it's very easy. Again, Like there's this American media frame of analysis which sees groups in the Middle East as monolithic, right, the Kurds, as if they're like an entirely homogeneous entity with one political interest, which is not the case. But like for America to fully remove this regime and it's Rael, it needs either a partner for uce or to be willing to commit thousands of its own soldiers to fight and know that hundreds of them will die, right like like did in a rack, I guess, like knowing what we know and knowing that there are these groups, right, and maybe it would be good to give people a primer on the Eastern Kurdistan resistance groups and the alliance that they've recently formed, Like where are they standing right now? They released a statement yesterday, but can you explain that to a little bit to people?
Speaker 11: There are several parties across eastern Kurdistan or as they say, irenely in Kurdistan, and of course they're very diverse and each of them have a different ideology. That's very normal. Yes, what happened in the past few months was that it's also a very great development for our people at least because they have been also calling for a form of cooperation between these parties and they finally announced that. Of course, two parties like the Komala and another branch, they did not join it because they had some disagreements, but that is also normal. So the thing is that these parties would definitely work together if the things are going to escalate more. For example, if I want to say about a week ago, the Riza Palavi, he published a statement and he threatened Kurdish people that if they think about autonomy or I don't know, thinking about taking quote unquote parts of Iran's soil, we're going to use the army against them in the future. It's incredible that the first Kurdish official who answered to that statement was Abdullah Martai from the Komala, who was not a part of the coalition. So that means that even though they have disagreements, but they are still trying to work together and help each other. I have talked to some people in the Kurdish parties. They are fully prepared for anything that could happen in the upcoming weeks or days or even months. I don't know, they're fully prepared. And what I know is that they are telling me that they are prepared that the Israeli army and also the American army would bomb or destroy the military bases on the border and also the checkpoints so that it would be easier for them to enter. And probably if it's going to be bigger than that, then maybe they could take over the controls of the cities. And what's really interesting is that they yesterday, these five parties, the coalition, published a statement and there were several points, but one of the points was that was really interesting for me was that they were calling on people to not damage any public buildings like banks, goals, I don't know, offices, and that means that probably there is a movement that they want to come back and take over all these buildings and try to control the cities better. So this is also something and there is a lot of discussion on social media and people are all saying that, yeah, we are ready that if something happens, we will go in. And I think right now the situation is really complicated and like we don't know how people can actually enter yet. And you said that, yeah, if there is going to be a force that's ready to sacrifice of its members, I think there are. The Kurts are ready to fight. They have been ready to fight for forever, for decades.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So this is also like something that the Courtish people already know that if we want to get rid of this regime, we have to sacrifice more. For me, it's very painful to say this, but I think our people have to sacrifice a little bit more more than that. They have been sacrificing for over one hundred fifty years, and I think maybe they have to sacrifice more. But one point here is that when I see what's happening, when I see that what is being said, that Trump is talking to the Kurdish parties, to the Kurdish organizations about the situation, one thing that I think about is that given the history of at least fifteen sixteen years of cooperation between America and the Kurts in Rajava, in in Syria and the fight again isis which was which was a great opportunity for Kurdish people, but at the end Trump just let Kurts down and and didn't really support them against Turkey, against all these Jadist groups that are supporting Syria. So the question is that what if we fight against this regime, we we destroy the regime. I mean, it's not just us. I have to mention that the other ethnic groups are also ready. But what if all these ethnic groups fight this regime, they destroy this regime? And what if Trump just brings someone really bad and some someone really useless, like Rizopalavi or other Iranian figures that of course are not after Kurdish people's interests. What if somebody likes that comes in power and then the same situation goes on and then we have to fight that system over and over again. So this is also something that I that I also think about it. But we still don't know what will happen is America's exact plan. It could be something like Iraqi Curtistan, which could benefit the ethnic groups a lot. Of course, there's still gonna be civil war, probably there's gonna be instability, but at least the ethnic groups might be able to self determine, you know, like might be able to control their areas and get rid of that Iranian control to some extent, maybe not fully, but that is also something that could be possible. And of course there's going to be killing. There's going to be a lot of civilians killed, and we know that already during all these bombings, many civilians are killed. We don't know how many exactly because there is no internet connection to make sure about the numbers or to investigate that. But of course all these Iranian government buildings are orgc bases, intelligence offices, or facilities that are all located in civilian areas, in in the cities, in the city centers all over Iran and also Curtistan. So there's always going to be some civilians who are living there, who are walking around there and they get killed. So this is also something that's that's really painful. But I think our people really had have had enough and they were ready for this, and they were they knew that this is this was this was going to happen, and yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, it's it's such a difficult thing. It's like it's what four or five weeks ago that we saw the STG and groups affiliatory and transitional government and groups affiliated with it, like live streaming them killing and mutilating the remains of captured Kurdish at men and women in Derrisol, right, like a place where maybe it wasn't a desire to liberate Kurdish people that took the SDF there. It was the battle against Isis and this idea of brotherhood of peoples right that they would liberate the Arab people who live there. Obviously that has resulted in these horrible things that we've seen over the last month. And then the thought of like, oh, well on, you just sent ten thousand more of your children to die so you can liberate people in Tehran and then we'll leave you again. I was just thinking about, like a couple of years ago, I was in Solomonia and I went to the museum. You know that they have the Red Security building and they have like a very good history of the Anfhle the genocide against Kurdish people committed by the Bathist state, and then they have the nineteen ninety one uprising, and then they have a lot of commemoration of the battle against the Islamic State, and like for my entire life, like the Americans have been leaving Kurdish people to die and then urging them to rise up again. And it's just I know, it's an incredible like revolutionary capacity and capacity for sacrifice, but it's also just very sad that Americans constantly expect Kurdish people to continue to sacrifice and then never for that bare end of the bargain.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's that's unfortunately true. And yeah, this has been evident in the past few years as well, like in in Syria when when when America gave the the green light to Turkey to invade Rajava, and also recently that how they just abandoned Kurts. Of course they are still saying, no, we didn't abandon curs but but but they did, and we basically lost almost everything that we had gained in in Rajova. And there is also like a threat against the Iraqi Curtism region right now from Turkey and also from Iraq. And it's it's just the bitter truth that, yeah, apparently Curts are not considered as a long term partner for the us R and also the other Western countries. But like all these horrible things that are that have been happening to our people in the past one hundred years. I mean a part of it is, of course the result of the Western countries and colonization from the European countries Great Britain, Russia and also America. But at the same time it's it's it's really important to not forget that majority of this tragedy that our people are are living in is also caused by by by Turks, Arabs and Persians. And by that I just don't mean the state. I also mean the whole structure in the Middle East that has been prosecuting the Kurts. It's it's been centuries that are our people are trapped between these powers, the Turks, Prisians and Arabs that are also fighting each other, but then they bring all of their wars inside our homeland and then our people get killed and display and face all the tragedies. So yeah, this is also our situation right now, and I don't know if it's going to be changed to a better situation because it's just so unclear that how the superpowers, how the major powers, the original powers are are planning for these things, and how their interests actually matter. Like we talked about if if America, if Turkey or NATO and other Arab countries, we're not backing the new Syrian government, I would call it Syrian Arab government because that's how they identify themselves.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they's still the Syrian Arab Republic even a year and a bit later.
Speaker 11: Yeah, if it was only Kertish forces and the new government, trust me, they would not be able to enter all the territories controlled by SDF because SDF is way more advanced and more powerful than them, like military wise. But STF was le alone and there was so much pressure on STF from all the Arab countries, Turkey and also Western countries and America. So this whole thing like maybe this is a little bit unrealistic, but a lot of people ask me that what's going to be next. I think the next is going to be what America and Europe want. Like I'm sure that they don't care about what the people in Kurdistan or the people in Iran want. They just want to do whatever they want, whatever that benefits them. And of course the neighboring countries will also follow. From the Arab countries and definitely Turkey, they will follow the plan that benefits them. So the people are trapped between these decisions. If the Iranian structure also remains, probably they would also change course and then cooperate with America or Israel or NATO or Arab countries only to remain in power and maintain their interests.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a really difficult time if people are looking to stay informed on this right. Coverage in the US has been poor in the English language. Where would you suggest where could people follow your work and where would you suggest people people look to stay informed of what's happening.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I personally don't post a lot. I'm just trying to gather information and like be updated and then share it with other media that are asking me about and other journalists. But there are several pages that I can suggest. One of them is definitely our organization hang Out and the Organization for Human Rights. I would also suggest to follow news channels like Rudolph, which they have been working really good on this war. It's a Kurdish TV channel based in Iraqi, Kurtistan. I would also suggest to follow the social media pages belonging to the Kurdish parties like KDPI or Omala, just like their official pages on Twitter or It's for example, they post a lot of really good information. I would also suggest I think I also suggested in our last talk, there is this person called Vahit Online. He is an independent journalist and he has like some really big platforms and he posts a lot of reliable information and videos about the locations and the things that are happening. And I would also suggest to follow some other journalists like Ali Jawan Mahdi. He is the manager and supervisor of the Voice of America. He also like he has several platforms and they post He posts a lot of updated information about what's happening. But here's also something that I want to warn about. I would suggest people to not really believe in what they see on TV channels or media like Iran International, Manoto, TV, BBC version, because all these media have turned into a platform to do the propaganda for the monarchists, and they have been posting a lot of fake news, a lot of AI generated content, and it's been really damaging the whole course of the if I want to call it the revolution or the war or whatever like that's happening inside Iron and Curtiston. So, yeah, these are the things that I can suggest so far.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a great suggestion. Thank you well, thank you very much for joining us today. We'll get this out as soon as possible because I know people very interested to know more about it.
Speaker 11: Thanks Cordy, thanks for inviting me the next time.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you, Back and Hear a podcast about the consolidation of capital into increasingly centralized forms and how it's ruining your life. I am your host, Mia Long and with b today to talk about how the consolidation of media monopolies has ruined many, many, many things for many years. Is Vicky Osterweil, friend of the show, author of Forthcoming April fourteenth, twenty twenty sixth, The Extended Universe, How Disney killed the movies and took over the world. Vicky, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Thanks, it's so great to be back. Thank you.
Speaker 7: Miah.
Speaker 6: I'm excited to talk about something a little less depressing than the things we could be.
Speaker 2: Talking about it. You know, like, this is a story, obviously, the story that we're talking about here foremost is Paramount's acquisition of Warner Bros. Or forthcoming acquisition. Since Netflix has backed out, it technically still could fail, but seems very very unlikely to. And you know, you could tell things are going rate in the news where this is the fun one and the fun one is us before we started recording, talking about who we think the sort of Nazi commis are they're going to put in charge of CNN is going to be. They're very wise. So things going very good.
Speaker 6: You can tell, Oh my god, but you you.
Speaker 2: Had the most cursed name that I've heard so far.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Tim, Yeah, Tim Poole, I think is probably the most cursed. Yeah, that would be the most it's a dark horse candidate. I don't know whether where the numbers on poly market should we look? Who's should pull it up?
Speaker 2: They've probably that's probably up now. Yeah, I hate I refuse to track polling market. Even if I couldn't know facts ahead of time, I simply will not. They can't make me.
Speaker 6: God, but we're not talking about insider trading war crimes. We're talking about insider trading intellectual property. So that's that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, So to start, let's go back a ways and do you want to talk about I guess sort of the beginning of the history of what we're talking about here, which is the consolidation of all media into a handful of increasingly large conglomerates.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely so in a way like consolidation is the entire history of the movie business. So obviously, what's happening here with Paramount, which is one of the oldest, one of the old five studios merging with Warner Brothers. That leaves Disney at Paramount, Warner Brothers as Sony as the three companies that released movies.
Speaker 8: Is this good?
Speaker 2: A twenty four is gonna get bobs? Of course three weeks from now, yeah, God.
Speaker 6: And that's Flix on Amazon. Are are the news of other studios? And Netflix was in competition for this and with True as you said anyways, but like one of the things that the very beginning of the Hollywood system, Hollywood starts because Thomas Edison. So now we're going way back right the eighteen nineties.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, yeah, speaking of it, speaking a dude to ruthlessly consolidated their power.
Speaker 6: He's like that prop precisely, dear God. So Thomas Edison is credited in the US with inventing the movie camera. He is one of five or six people in the world who came up with technology around the same time. It's just not linearly possible to name any of them as the inventor of the movie camera. But he gets that credit because he sued the shit out of everyone who tried to make a movie for fifteen years. Jesus right, right, So he puts patents on the movie camera, He puts patents on his stuff. And then and this is in New York. He's in New Jersey. Menlo Park famously is where his lab is. And what he starts doing other than making really really boring movies, he's a mid film producer. His movies are not that exciting, and at this point a movie is fifteen seconds to about a minute, often seen in a nickelodeon, like in a really small screen, or like in a small room. These are short films. Ninety nine percent of them are loss of time. Can't we can't even watch these movies, right. But one of the things that he would do is he, because he had the patent on movie cameras, anyone who tried to film a movie, he would sue them, right. So it's eventually too hard to maintain this. So what he did is he teamed up with the other large Independence and Eastman Kodak, and they formed a thing. I think it's called the Motion Picture Company, which is unreferred to as the Trust, quote unquote, and the Trust just did this at scale. So now instead of it just being him fighting against his competitors, it's all the leading movie filmmakers, all the leading filmmakers, and the literal film company will come down sue you sometimes even beat you up and like and shatter your cameras if you if you try to make a movie without their permission, without a license from them, and without their equipment.
Speaker 2: Right, this is such a good system, by the way, Like I just like like the system of property rights, so good, no problems.
Speaker 6: He that exactly.
Speaker 2: So what happened?
Speaker 6: So what happens? A bunch of filmmakers move to this new land development out in California called Hollywood. You know, it's nineteen oh seven. They're really far away from New Jersey lawyers at Edison goons, Right, they're as far as possible. So Hollywood is founded by a bunch of movie pirates, basically, right.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 6: We're violating, you know, Edison's copyright because they're sick of the of his of his legal harassment.
Speaker 2: So it's some real mountains are high in the Emperor's far away shift.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean exactly literally, how far can we get away while still being on the continent, Like that's you know, let's do it from New Jersey, which, like many such cases, many people yeah, yeah, I can get that far away from New Jersey before. But you know, so jumping forward into the classical Hollywood period are more familiar with, there are sort of five major studioos and one of the ways that the major studios worked is that they had something called vertical integration, which is something we should all know about as we are living through times monopolies. Amazon is a classic example of vertical integration, as is Google. What vertical integration means is that you own everything in the pipeline for movies. You have the offices where the producers work, You own the sound stage, you employ all the people who work on it, You employee the actors. You also then own the film that gets made. You own the cameras, You own the company that produces the film. Sometimes although tho's a instances, they didn't always own those companies, those chemical companies. It's an on board, but you know, and then you own the movie theater where it showed, right, So like movie theaters before the forties, you would go to a RKO Pictures House. Arko is one of the early big ones, or a United Artists theater, and they would only show United Artists movies, right, So they would be an active competition with one another. So your neighborhood would have you know, there'd be an MGM, there'd be an RKO, and you would go based on what movie was where. Then there's anti trust action done in the forties that breaks up these studios. The studio system sort of slowly collapses. They also then loses a lot of market share to television. This is a really pod ended history, but trying to do it as much as possible. So basically, so by the sixties or seventies, what you have is a lot of independent producers. So the studios just become a brand and a sort of pot of money and often a sound stage. They keep the sound stages right. But then like distribution, becomes independent actors and like directors, they all are independent. They all have agents, right. It used to be that they would be hired by a company and they would just work for that company. That's why you know classical Hollywood directors would make like sixty movies because they would just churn them out. They would just be like directing them show up, do it for two weeks, show up on the next one, do for two weeks, et cetera. Just the studio system. So then by the sixties and seventies, it's starting to look more like what you have now, which is the studios are basically they're the homes of all the producers, the producers of people who connect the money and the talent, you know, and put it all together and package and deal the market it right, and that process. It seems like it's sort of a losing proposition. The business isn't doing super well until the emergence of the blockbuster with Star Wars, right so, Star Wars and Jaws and a bunch of other movies in the seventies. We're going so fast right now and trying my best, but I'm sorry, this is.
Speaker 2: No this is like I was like, here, let's talk about like one hundred and fifty years of history.
Speaker 6: So anyways, with the emergence of the blockbusters, one of the other things that happens is that the way blockbusters work is that they are released everywhere in the country at once. Film comes on used to come on literal physical objects, and you can only have so many and they can only be so many places at once. Right. So the way film used to work is they would make a certain number of film reels if they thought it was going to be big. There was a star, but the studio was always gambling on how many how big it would be, how many people would pick it up, and then they had to sell it to the movie theaters, right, and then the films would circulate when they did well, they're print more. So movies would circulate for like a year, right, two years sometimes even. But with Star Wars and the day and date system that we have now, what they started doing was just putting it in every movie theater in the country. You also get the emergence of multiplexes, white flight in the suburbs. I'm really going faster up trying. But the result is that movies get both more potentially valuable, but that value gets more and more concentrated in the early period of the of the release right in the early window. Opening weekend was not very meaningful until the eighties. Really, you know, late seventies, early eighties. As that happens, do you suddenly need more financing and you can make more money off of bigger gambles. Simultaneously, the rest of the economy is going through financialization, right, which is a process that you've talked about on the show before.
Speaker 2: I can't get into that, but yeah we can't.
Speaker 6: And then Reagan deregulates everything, right, Reagan rifts apart of the SCC in many ways, deregulates media ownership stuff. This is a big move. Then across the eighties, the home market opens, so you start getting VCRs and this completely transforms the business another time, because movies can flop in the theater, but you can guarantee rentals, right, So for like the eighties and the nineties, the big studios kind of could print money because it was pretty hard to lose money on a movie. Now the people who lost money on movies were like, you know, dentists from the Midwest who THEYD get to invest them. They'd be like, oh yeah, sorry, Like Threo's arcane deals. People still got rinsed. Obviously it was Hollywood. It was shady as well, but as so with the deregulation and with all this money flowing and with the integration of the home market, suddenly technology companies like Sony, and the emergence of of like Lucasfilms that they also get really into computers. Lucas Turgocus famously is into the computer side of the business. All these different technologies get brought into the cinema at the same time as he gets see regulated. So companies starts snatching up these other film studios, right and so where once there were five studios, and then the sixties and seventies were actually got a ton of independent studios, a lot of really small ones, and they started getting gobbled up by these bigger conglomerates. You know, Sony is the one that was also a mega corp in the eighties already that that would eventually go on to own to buy out a bunch of movie companies. The same thing is happening though with radio. With TV. The main thing that happens under the SEC regulation stuff is that they loosen up whether a movie studio can own a TV studio. They used to be fully separate, and then and and broadcast rule changed. Broadcast rules changed, so studios could own a movie theater or you could own a movie company, a radio station and a TV station.
Speaker 2: Ah O, good God.
Speaker 6: And as you can imagine that is how things started to alerate. You get like the ABC Disney merger and the late eighties NBC universal mergers acqusitions become the big thing. You know, the stock market is booming. Then you get other big corps buying them out, and then we're just in the classic phase of consolidation where bigger and bigger fish eat up the smaller ones.
Speaker 2: And this is not how I guess importantly for this story. Suddenly, like all of the television news media is owned by these giant ass movie companies. Exactly, surely nothing will go wrong.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, we and we come to you here from iHeart Radio, which you know is a lovely new.
Speaker 2: Brand of kind of things making. We are iHeart Media. Okay, excuse me, a technically distinct company, I think. Actually, don't ask me to explain exactly how that whole right I heard media I Heart Radio split works.
Speaker 6: But exactly, you know, so media consolidation, this is you know, consolidation is the story of capitalism, famously right like that, Like you know, an industry builds lots of new entrepreneurs coming into the space. People figure out what's possible with the industry has more and more money flows in, a few winners come and consolidated. We've seen it happen in tech as well. But yeah, it has particularly perverse effects when we're talking about the visual culture, the audio culture, and the news media the way information is spread. Although I wouldn't you know, I would argue that the effects are still pretty perverse from the way social media and tech giants have control things. I think that's pretty pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, is extremely bad, I would say.
Speaker 6: You might say it's extremely bad. You know, a lot of people are very upset about the news that David Ellison, who is the NEPO baby to end all netpo babies, because he's not a Hollywood netbo baby. He's not the son of a previous He's just the son of a rich guy who wanted to be in movies. So he bought his way into like acting roles, and then he like just threw money around until he got sky Danced Global, which is this company that you know, he's been in Hollywood for ten years. Technically he's like an experienced producer. This man is forty three years old, which for like, you know, the CEO of a billion you know, he started with a generous loan from Daddy Larry. Let's just say and yeah, you know, I think people are very upset obviously because he's a Trump ally, right the Allisons or Trump allies. He has literally said, I'm gonna make more right wing movies, you know, like you know, the Daily Daily Wire. You know, they were all washing out, but now they'll probably have contracts or whatever. You know, who knows. Like it's going to be money. But a lot of people are also saying that this is just for CNN, and that's actually not true. So a thing that is important to know is that the cable part of this deal Netflix was going to spin off the cable. The Discovery channel at CNN was going to spin off all the cable. So if he just wanted CNN and he could have waited for the Netflix deal to go through, and he could have just bought it on the market for a steal. Because the thing about cable is it's losing money. If you look at Okay, this isn't really dark fact, and I apologies everyone, but if you look at the rate of cable subscription costs, if you look at a meta aggregate data of it, the price of the annual subscription to cable goes up by the distributed amount of the previous year's subscription costs that were lost.
Speaker 2: By boomers dying Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: So basically it is a literally dying It is a literally dying market. The only people who still pay for cable other than institutional forces are like people above sixty, and they're just literally dying, and the price goes up as more and more of them dying.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 6: It is over as a business. Cable even ESPN, Disney is trying to get rid of ESPN. Even sports are valueless now not valueless, I mean, it's still billions of dollars obviously, but these.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, if you look at what ESPN's like trying to do about this, they're like just turning into an influencer factory, yeah, with just like rich eyes and then like all these fucking unhinged dipshits exactly.
Speaker 6: So anyway, so people are pretty like despairing about it because I think it's about CNN. But if it was just about CNN, like I said, they could have just waited and gotten it for a song. David Ellison really thinks he's a he's cosplaying as a movie producer but because he has so much money, he's succeeding. Yeah, of the movies he's produced that you might like, although I didn't like it, but a lot of people like Top Gun Maverick like it's fun. I guess like fun.
Speaker 2: Everything about that movie suddenly just like clicks into focus. It's like, yeah, oh oh.
Speaker 6: I just want you to know that Tapka Maverick is the greatest work of art that he produced by some extreme margin. This guy's responsible for Terminators five and six that would be a dark fight and Genesis.
Speaker 2: Oh no.
Speaker 6: He produced on Geostorm, which you may remember came too late to capitalize on the disaster thing. In twenty seventeen, he made the Gemini Man movie, which is what Will Smith fought Will Smith with weird yet aging technology.
Speaker 2: Oh. I basically remember seeing TV correction.
Speaker 6: It kind of killed Will Smith's marketability as a star. Like that was kind of the film like after Earth Chaalan, But he's responsible for ending Will Smith. He did this the Spy Kids reboot which I kids Armageddon from twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: No, this guy Jesus.
Speaker 6: Has made just really bad movies.
Speaker 2: All of these weird right wing people are all like the thing they want to do is make movies. This is like, what's like killing the Daily Wire?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 2: They decided to be a movie company and it turns out they can't make movies. But it's like this guy is like, what if you had that but backed by like the entire tech capital apparatus and your dad was fucking Larry Ellison, the Oracle guy, like one of the richest test fascists who's ever lived.
Speaker 6: Then you can do it. Then you can just buy yourself a movie studio, and you can do it because the thing movies need is money.
Speaker 2: And then you can keep buying all their movie studios.
Speaker 6: But and this is a bit contrarian. I'm not sure that this is worse for movies than Netflix getting it, because Netflix would have likely sabotaged what was remaining of WB's theatrical business model, right, Like Netflix doesn't like the theater. Now they've been trying to get into theatrical because that's like, you know, it's cash on the table, you know, it's how you build. It's the greatest marketing on Earth, right, And you when you have a big hit film, then that's a franchise. You get TV shows, you get theme parks, you get you know, lunchboxes, toys, t shirts, you get resales, you get a reboot ten years down the line, right, you get licensing, so they want that. But but Netflix is really I mean, they hate movies. Netflix literally has a production design, a design philosophy of making movies that are designed for people who aren't looking at them, so that the characters say what they're doing. I mean, there's a big article that came out about this a few weeks ago, like, yeah, Netflix is a nightmare company. So it's a real it's a real Cilly and carib this kind of situation. Yeah, right, Like you've got this fascist creep. But at least he like really thinks he likes movies, you know, Like I don't know anyway, the play being. People are very upset about this news because it's happened to you because he's a Trump ally, there's this political angle they were making all this noise, they were begging Trump to do it. Y'all are thirty years late to this being a problem. Like I'm not trying to be like, I'm not trying to be like that whatever.
Speaker 2: Like Noah, like, but like.
Speaker 6: We are well, but like having three movie studios instead of two, like you're already doing pretty bad. Like in the thirties, as I gave you in that little pot of history, in the thirties, Hollywood was so brutally integrated that they literally, the federal government literally broke it apart at the height. At the height of the studio system. The biggest company at the time, which I believe with MGM was the big studio, controlled eighteen percent of the market of the film market, which is massive. I mean the market of anything. Eighteen percent the market is obscene hideous. Yeah, Disney in a bunch of the past years has run forty percent of the market world wide, world wide, not messic, So like we are already at this level of concentration, like the fact that it keeps going, Like, yes, it does mean there will be fewer and fewer movies. It does mean more layoffs. It means things are getting worse. But you know, we've been here. You know what I'm saying. I think thirty seven. I think it's actually only thirty seven percent.
Speaker 2: Of thirty seven Oh wow, wow, yeah, three percent.
Speaker 6: Sorry, round up, I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, And this is something I think gets back to one of the sort of political answers that I've been seeing to this is like, you know, this return from kind of like the left of the Democratic Party to being like, oh, we should talk about like anti monopoly and we should do like trust busting again. And it's like probably, yeah, but we did this right, Like, we did this, we got rid of the monopolies, and then they came back, and it's like this is you know, this is this is the problem is that this is this is basically a structural problem of capital is this kind of resolidation and you can break up the monopolies, but they'll just reform. It requires you to win the battle forever. And all the monopolies have to do is get like one fascist elected or get like like all they need is one Ronald Reagan and you just lose everything. Yeah, And it's like okay, like this this is a problem that can't be solved just by tinkering on the edges of the system. You have to actually destroy the conditions that make it possible. And those are regulatory conditions. Those are hold on why are people allowed to own this shit?
Speaker 6: Yeah? And I think that's exactly right. And I think you know, one of the things about monopoli the station, which is famous. One of the things that even capitalists don't like about monopolies is that the quality goes down famous, yeah, right, because you don't you don't know, you don't have to compete whatever, there's literally no reason to try and make the product good. But like one of the things about the concentration of IP, and like one of the things that's like sort of scary about it's consolidation in general. And this is a fact that's really important to understand. When you own a bucket of intellectual property. Let's say you own Sesame Street, right, which is one that's not owned. So it's a good example to use because it's weird when you own sesame Street, and if you start to make products of Sesame Street, it means that every idea that isn't Sesame Street but threatens to become more popular than Sesame Street is a threat. So it is if you own, if you own enough IP, is in your logical material interest to stop new ideas from being made, because every new idea is competition. If you own the back catalog of Bob Dylan, for as like some of these investment firms, do you I think he's I think he has sold to Hypnosis or one of these big There are these big music investment firms that own the rights to all of these old songs. If you guys, If y'all remember, in twenty eighteen twenty nineteen, all movie trailers suddenly started having weird sad girl covers of like sixties and seventies pop songs. Do you remember this era? Oh yeah, yeah, the sad guitargra and I was just like what happened in like Hollywood? Was there like some weird trend. No, what happened was these investment firms got hold of it, and if they can release a new cover version of a song, they hit the property rights twice, so they get it on the new they get it on the new play, and then people go back to the old ones they're reminded of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's worse too, because the new ones are all.
Speaker 6: God and And this is only possible because of the way that the streaming services got consolidated and that they pay per play. Because pay per play, as everyone knows, completely screws artists. There's just no way to make any money off that. But if you own a massive library like the UM, like the BMG or sony universal. If you own a library like that, you do nothing and you make billions a year, right, so it becomes this permanent, perfect rent that you never have to worry about. So all you have to do is buy enough musical IP and then try and get new artists who are hot to cover your old ip. So this is like this really weird esoteric seeming. You know, it's bailed on the division between particular recording copyrights and the copyrights of like individual of the songwriting. It's like built on this sort of weird esoteric structure of intellectual property law, which like when you start talking about it, people's eyes literally roll in the back of their head, right, like they like fall over in a daisy pops up the cartoon. They're just dead. That's not interesting. But like because of that, for five years, when you went to the grocery store, you would be in a weird, uncanny valley where you were hearing a song that you thought you recognized but was like slightly different.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, So the entire material structure of the world, like the psychic structure of the world, gets transformed by these weird exploits over like financial loopholes by the worst people on earth whose goal is to never let you hear a new song, right, Like, they'd never want you to hear new music again. They just want the boomer tracks to play forever with like new versions by you know. They just want Charlie XCX to record fucking Jefferson Airplane. Like that's there. That's their wettest dream, you know. And all that shit is going on in the backgrounde of your life, right like, I mean it's not it's it's but it's affecting the psychic atmosphere. It's producing nostalgia, it's producing all these affects that are rife for fascism. It makes people want to go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, okay, what happened the last time we saw like the completely unhinged like concentration of all capitals a monopolies, It was like, well, all that capital was liquidated by World War Two. There was World War One as well, too, right, these were both to a larger stent. And this is something that you know, if you go back and read anyone who's doing any political analysis about World War One in the lead up to it and as it's happening, the thing everyone is talking about is is the consolidation monopoly capital, and I think you can argue maybe that the early eighteen hundreds had like a larger consolidation, just in the sense of, like I'm questionable as to whether this is just because it's too expensive to literally run a country, but like we haven't quite returned to like the East India company has an army and they conquer countries periodically, but like I think it's just because that's too expensive and you'd rather just outsource that to the state.
Speaker 6: But it's less farther than your thing, because oh yeah, the part of the way that it outsourced us to the state. And this isn't this, this is all suffered my upcoming book which you can pre order. Now, that's true the World Trade Organization. One of the things that it did when you joined the WTO, and this was done by lobbyists, mostly film and pharma and chemical lobbyists from the US sense, if you join the WTO, you have to accept you don't not only have to accept their copyright and piracy law, you have to agree to build copyright courts and copyright police in your country Jesus Christ, so that if say Apple sees you making a fake iPhone, they have a liberal legal procedure domestic to your country to force you to stop to smash those prices. Major corporations can get police in Vietnam to go in and light a warehouse on fire because it's full of faked goods, like without ever leaving the US, right, So yeah, yeah, the company's more dintributed through these world trade organizations.
Speaker 2: Well, they did the order liberal thing of where we're using the super rested apparatus to negate the sovereignty of the state by creating the super state which we run.
Speaker 6: Yes, so I mean I'm obviously interested in the IP and the cultural angle. This is the only law like this in any of these agreements. All the rest of the trade agreements, like they can negotiate. But like, part of what's so obscene about Trump's tariffs is that the US already had this. It was called the Priority watch List. They just had this list in the White House where they could just say you're not doing a good job enough stopping piracy. And it gives the White House unilateral capacity to create trade embargoes on people without going to Congress. Like this was all the tariffs, which also hurt your economy obviously, but even if they worked the way Trump imagines they do, like he already had that power and like other presidents have been using it for decades. Big visible sanctions like what they put on Iran or Venezuela are a much more dramatic upscale. But the priority watch list, they can just threaten to upgrade you from on the watch list to a priority on that and you will watch countries fold entirely on trade policy, Like it's crazy. So, like, one of the things that's interesting about this moment and about the Trump this moment is that they're ripping apart their own infrastructure. Yeah, because they literally just don't understand how it works.
Speaker 2: No, It's like it's like that you had it to an aircraft carrier and they're ripping out the copper wires, just trying to tell it and it's like, you have an aircraft carrier, what are we doing?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: God, exactly.
Speaker 6: You know. So again, like I think there is this talk about the consolidation of culture, and I think, like you know, people like the Ellison's are just they're just vulgar at it. Like the thing is like Mike Eisner was better at it, like Bob iger is, who is the CEO of Disney currently other he's about to step down. Bob Iger saw them through the acquisition of Marvel and Star Wars and all that. He is an incredible I mean, you know, ever, whatever his team, he himself is a pretty unimpressive guy. But like, you know, like other than internal politics, which is what all CEOs are good at anyway, you know, like these these these companies were already good at this, and like what has happened is that a wing of the capitalists who are really bad at it and really resentful because they're all sort of like the David Allison's in the world. They're all the resentful fail sons of wealth who you know, they want more power and more respect and they don't appreciate how much their shit is already built on the very thing they claim to want to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and I guess it is to some extent a kind of funny like the election of Trump. And also just sort of Ellison just like devouring this is what it was like third Studio that he's eaten in like five years, and like all all these forces being devoured by this. This is like well, yeah, like this is what happens when you set up a system like this, Eventually there's going to be a bigger fish who's just going to devour you because they have, for example, Oracle behind them, which is just an amount of capital that like outside of like Disney, you can't have that kind of capital, right, And like with Trump, it's like, yeah, you finally created a monster that is large enough to shatter the extremely della kit and complicated system that you did. And it's also just doesn't understand it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly. And I think like if you want to see at the future of Hollywood looks like, I mean, you know, you can go worse than to look at China. Right, China is the most dynamic film market. It overtook the US as the number one value of the box office in twenty twenty two, I think I think it did in twenty twenty one, but that was still COVID shutdown affected. Twenty twenty two or twenty twenty three, China became an actual of the actual plurality of ticket sales in the world by dollar, if not by number. By number, they've already long surpassed the US. Yeah, but the way that Chinese film companies work is like they're all pretty nakedly financial companies like ten Cent and Ali Baba, right, and like the like these are companies, they're just already from other sectors, and they're just like we have cash, we use the cash to make a movie, yeah, which is what the studios always did too, Right. I want to be really clear, like I don't want to romanticize, but like you know, that's where it always was, right, And it's just that like in the turn of the century when Hollywood was being made, industries were just more divided.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The reason to talk about all of this business stuff on some level, I mean, it's interesting on its own as history, it's interesting as a critique of capitalism, but I think it's also interesting because it affects the aesthetics, like of what the movies that get made. Right. And I think when we think about when people think about fascist propaganda, you know, we think about the Nazis, right, obviously, because the Nazis had the longest running fascist propaganda machine in the world. They had the Ministry of Culture under Gerbels, Right. And I think when we talk about Nazi propaganda, we think about triumph for the will, and we think about stuff like Juden Zeus, right, like extremely horrifying anti Semitic bullshit. Yeah, extremely horrifying anti Semitic movies. There were two of them in the ten years that Gerbels ran the un which is the film company that made movies for Germany. The vast majority, the vast majority of films under the Life were frothy comedies and musicals and adventure stories. Because the principle that Girbels operating on was called the orchestra principle, and he believed that you should just actually art should just be reduced to creating feelings. It should be totally de intellectualized, and then very little of that art remains. Those movies are mid. You know, the movies made by Utha are not good, like even the ones that are not offensive, they're just mid. But they all do the same thing. They all work together around a principle of certain principles around family and romantic love and domestic life, most of it inoffensive in and of itself. And so I think when we think about Ellison taking over, I think we imagine, you know, as we were joking about at the beginning, shit like the Daily Wire, anti woke, Cinderella or whatever the fuck. Yeah, and I allowed to cuss, I'm doing so much of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the time. Okay, thank god we are not regulated by the FCC.
Speaker 6: Let's go, No one is these days.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess we technically are, but we're not under the radio regulation, so we can say whatever we want.
Speaker 6: Perfect love that. But like, fascist filmmaking has not looked like that for the most part in the history of it. Fascist filmmaking looks like family adventure fair often, and I think we have been so blinded to the way that this happens that we imagine that Ellison taking over is suddenly going to mean that now there's going to be fascist movies in theaters. But like, have y'all been to the movies? Yes, Like have y'all seen what Ward of Mothers did with like the Snyder verse?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like did you did you watch The Beekeeper?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Speaking of Netflix? Like that was the most fascist movie I've ever seen exactly. It is literally it is a movie that is just a guy shooting a bunch of people, and then the background superstructure is an explanation of what the furory is, which is like the course that is outside of the order, that is able to violate the rules of the order in order to in order to create the order itself, except it's a guy called the bee Keeper and he just shoots people like.
Speaker 6: It's it's that's pretty bad.
Speaker 1: That's like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I did not watch that one, and I like state, it's.
Speaker 2: Really unhan, I want to it with my family. Nightmare. Holy shit, it's going insane. Yeah, things are so bad that.
Speaker 6: Like there was a movie, Nobody with Bob Odenkirk that came out in twenty nineteen, and it was basically a parody of those like Liam Neeson, you know, the John Wick movies and like Liam Neeson like Dad then taken stuff right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was a parody.
Speaker 6: Maybe you could be clued in by the fact that it was Bob Odenkirk and it was filmed with comedians. Maybe you could be cluted by the fact that he's fighting because they took his daughter's Hello Kitty bracelet. Like there's a pretty like a dry but it's a dry plays a very dry.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Every single professional film critic reviewed it like it was dead serious, like Bob was to become the next Liam Neeson. And part of that is because they shot good action sequences, Like he did a good job with this satire. But then what happens, what happened next is that now there's a nobody too, and it's completely forgotten the joke and it's not good either.
Speaker 2: So like Jesus fucking Christ, yeah.
Speaker 6: And Bob when and Kirk just like he had this one window where he could really sell that he couldn't sell it in the sequel. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It's it's the jort Head sequels right exactly.
Speaker 6: But like we're just in a time of extreme literalism, where like everything is really really like script driven. It's really on its face, it's really textual. Everything is just selling something else. Everything can possibly be sequel. Nothing really changes, politics only exists as bureaucracy. These are all deeply fascist concepts. They're just more subtle than goose stepping SS uniforms. You know. Part of what's so funny about the Daily Wire is it's like like they come for Disney, like you can't do anything to make a more fascist pot Like Disney entertains people and makes the flash as populous, like they're just bad filmmakers and that kind of matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there is a chance that like I don't know, Ellison is such a dumb ass that he just tries to do it anyways, like he just tries to be like fuck it. Well, but even then, like he hasn't really made like a stereotype of Nazi movies. He's made like actual Nazi movies. Just to say, the fucking Top gunn Baverick.
Speaker 6: And people loved Top Mavericks. People were like, yeah, I guess it's maybe kind of problematic, like but we love you know. It's like that movie is like literally propaganda for the Air Force. Like I thought it was fun. Yeah, don't get me wrong, but like people are have been really trained to not see that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like we're like now fighting the war at that movie was propaganda for yes, exactly, like we're literally we literally are fighting. We made it a road like were we've bolved a ride at all.
Speaker 6: That fifteens went down so the first on the Gulf War.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they got shut down by Allies air defenses.
Speaker 6: You know why we didn't have Maverick, We didn't have Tom Cruise training them. And that's what Allison's gonna do. That's why I'm happy he's merging it. Because our our brave boys and the skies are going to be safer.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 6: So yeah, anyways, I don't know where I'm going with this, because obviously things are bad, and anyone betting against things getting worse over the last ten years has lost their pants, right, But things can get worse. But like, also there is the actual object, the actual film object exists, and like part of what has been hard about Hollywood, the reason they've built these monopoly structus, the reason they've built these pease structures is because because audiences are fickle, and that's annoying, and you can't just like force stuff down their throats and they're not going to just like buy something for sure every time, and you have to sort of seduce them, right like, it's it's you have to you have to make something they want to see. Right The MCU was unstoppable until it stopped, and now no one likes it and it's really annoying, right like, and they still make their money back on the MCU, Like they're doing fine. No, do not play a violin for Kevin Feige. He's doing fine. You know, he's crying on his third jot, you know. But like, but so I guess what I'm saying is that like, is that, like, as we enter into more and more naked versions of this, what it should help us do you, rather than think, oh my god, all is lost? Is to reflect on how we got here already, How often we were already here under liberalism, under Biden, under just regular capitalist conditions, how often we've already been here, reevaluate the way we think about what good culture could look like, and then start to move.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to come back to something I said a few years ago when we did a show with Gare about the People's Joker, and.
Speaker 6: I saw the TV glow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw the TV glob. I was about to say the one about the age who has the bad ending and never transitions.
Speaker 6: Yes, the horror of you about not transitioning yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I think there is extent to which, you know, there was a really brief attempt to sort of sublimate transness into film for like one year. But you know, like we're the people who've been spat out of this, but also trans people are making movies at a rate that has never happened before. Ever, There's never been anything like it. And you know, like the wachowskis like have a studio now where they're pumping out a bunch of trans movies, and like, you know, we're getting like Manhunter, and we're getting like a whole bunch of other stuff. And you know, the thing I said a few years ago I think is even more desperate and true now is that like transfilm is one of the last things fighting for the existence of film as a medium and not as a way to sell you toys and like fifteen dollars popcorn.
Speaker 6: Hey, they also tell you all expenses paid vacations. You have to go into debt for it. Okay, me that support trans film, support local film. And the thing about movies is that movies are bad. But the other thing is that movies are good. So it's hard.
Speaker 2: The dialectic InMotion, yeah, yeah, Look, I will say this, there has been for many thousands of years a second dialectic operating, and then it's a dialectic labor and capital. That's probably I probably backdated capital too far, but you know, fuck it, I don't know. We could resolve We could resolve movies good in movies bad by resolving the other dialectic of capital and labor, by simply destroying the categories and ending the class system. I believe in us we can make a movie good again. Movie has never been good. There can be a new future. We're movie good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right exactly. Yeah, yeah, I believe.
Speaker 2: One final thing, VICKI where where can people find your book?
Speaker 6: Yes, it's being put up by Haymarket, so you can go to their website. I also have a link to my bookshop page via a Blue Sky. I'm Vicky Acab on Blue Sky. So if you want to watch me posting through it, you know, come hang out, I guess. Yeah. Talk to libraries about it. Ask a local if you have a local bookshop, asking them that stuff really helps make a huge difference. And yeah, I would really appreciate any of that. If you're if you're interested in how Disney destroyed the world and in the ways that we've been talking about here today, can read way more about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't know, Vicky. Vicky's book's good? Can confirm have read they are?
Speaker 1: They're good?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: Thanks man.
Speaker 1: We should have kept working on that bomb that they thought would turn the entire enemy army gay, which was the thing they really put money into.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here.
Speaker 7: Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the Crumpling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today. I'm joined by Miawong, James Stout, and Robert Evans. This episode, we are covering the week of February twenty fifth to March fourth. A House committee just today on Wednesday, as subpoenaed ag pambonid to testify on her handling of the Epstein investigation, with five Republicans joining all Democrats in the vote. Hillary Clinton was asked about Pizzagate and UFOs during her congressional testimony on Jeffrey Epstein. More on that next week, in a special episode, God and Netflix declined to raise their offer to buy Warner Brothers, resulting in Paramount winning the bidding war. FCC chairman Brendan Carr held CNBC that the Paramount deal would be approved quote unquote pretty quickly and that Netflix quote would have had a very difficult path saying the Paramount deal is quote a lot cleaner, does not raise all the same types of concerns unquote. More on that in the episode before this one insane, he just said that outline and yeah, on Thursday, February twenty sixth, almost a year after Mahmoud Khalil was first attained, ICE agents arrested another Columbia student in the early hours of the morning. Shortly after six am, five playing clothes agents from the Department of Homeland Security showed up outside a Columbia apartment building without a warrant, demanding to be let inside. The agents gained entry by falsely telling the building's superintendent that they were police searching for a missing child, even bringing pictures of this fake kid. The agents used this lie to enter into the apartment of twenty nine year old student Ellie Agaheva, where she was then arrested and taken off campus. After being detained, Agaheva posted on Instagram quote, dhs illegally arrested me. Please help. This same day, Mayormamdanni happened to be meeting with President Trump in the White House regarding federal funding for the Sunnyside Yards housing project. During this meeting, the mayor voiced opposition to ICE raids and concerned about the detention of the Columbia student. Earlier that morning.
Speaker 13: I shared my concern with the President about IS's detention of Columbia student Elmina Agayeva yesterday morning, as well as the detention of four additional New Yorkers in relation to the university, Mahmud Khalil, Masen, Mahdawi, jinse O Chung, and the Kakordia. I asked that their cases be dropped. I'm grateful that shortly after our meeting, the President called me to inform me that Elmina would be imminently released, and indeed she was.
Speaker 7: The mayor also discussed the release of Akajeva in a question during this press conference.
Speaker 8: During your advocacy with President Trump, what do you think the winning argument was and did.
Speaker 4: They reverse course?
Speaker 13: All I can tell you is what happened, which is that I shared directly with the President and a list of names of Columbia students and those who've also been detained because of their activity on Columbia campus, and that these actions do nothing to advance the cause of public safety, and I asked that these cases be dropped, and the President said that he would look into it. Soon after the meeting, I received a phone call from the President saying that he was going to eminently release her.
Speaker 7: At three forty five pm, Agaheva posted on Instagram that she'd been released and was quote unquote safe and okay. On Thursday night, a dhspookesperson told a reporter that Akaheva's student visa was terminated in twenty sixteen for failing to attend classes and that quote ICE placed her in removal proceedings and she's been released while she waits for her hearing unquote. The current state of her case is unknown, with neither her lawyers nor DHS providing any follow up statements.
Speaker 10: That last part is very confusing to me, right, because if she had lost her student visa for non attendant that can happen, that would have shown up in SEBZ, right, and that was a decade ago. That part confused me. I just so I was scanning it right before we started, and I figured i'd just ask you in the episode.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I mean, she has no pending cases with DHS in their system, or no pending appeals. It's very unclear what happened here or the exact cause of why she was arrested and the state of whatever visa she is on.
Speaker 10: Right, Yeah, she could have been on a completely different visa.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's very unclear.
Speaker 10: There's a lot here that I'd like to know many such cases, I guess, so to start with a couple of immigration things, do you want to send it? Hearing yesterday, that's Tuesday, Christine Nome doubled down on the claim she's previously made about Alex Pretty, which are as far as we can tell, false, right, saying his action to a quote the definition of domestic terrorism. She's in the House testifying today, So I will try and summarize both those testimonies in next week's ED just just so we don't end up covering this twice. And we've got a lot to address today. This is breaking news right before we released the podcast. Christine Noam, the Secretary of Homeland Security, is going to be leaving that job at the end of March, and she will be replaced by current United States Senator for Oklahoma Mark Wayne Mullin. Nom will be moving into another job where she will be the Special Envoy for the Shield of the Americas, which is a security initiative for the Western hemisphere that Trump is planning on telling us more about this weekend. Mullin, for those aren't familiar, is a citizen of the Cherokee Nation. He has been in the House of Representatives for ten years before he was in the Senate for the last three years, and he used to be a professional mma fighter. Secondly, Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty has announced an investigation into potential misconduct by federal officers in the state, and response DHS has claimed that quote federal officials acting in the course of their ties are immune from liability under state law. This isn't true in legal terms, right, Federal officials can be prosecuted if their actions weren't necessary or proper, or were not in the course of their duties. So this pertains to the supremacy clause of the Constitution. Right, and there's a two part test for supremacy clause immunity aid the federal officials actions authorized under federal law and be that they are quote necessary, improper in the execution of their duties as a federal officer. I will link in the sources of our document to a tenth Circuit case on this. The case was about some Federal Wildlife officers who had crossed on to private land during a wolf coloring operation in Wyoming, and then Wyoming A tempted to prosecute them for trespassing, right, so we can see like a previous example of this, but it's not true that they have complete immunity from state laws, which is what's important here. I want to move on to Iran, just like most of the US military has done. But thank you, it works so hard on these Yeah. So we made a whole episode about this, which came out on Wednesday of this week, and I don't want to recap what we said there. That is why we make lots of episodes so you can go into depth on things. So I will for the most part be picking up on that by updating people and things that have happened in the twenty four hours since we recorded that. Firstly, it seems that the attacks, or E said timing was heavily driven by Israel, who were likely acting on intelligence about the whereabouts of Harmoni. The attacks occurred in the daytime, which is pretty unusual, like normally they want to time these things with moon phase. They want to do them at night just to make them safer for any of the piloted aircraft that they're using. Right. I also wanted to point out so that the source of this Israel claim, let's start there, comes from the bid response forty seven account. I guess I described that as like a White House affiliated Twitter account. I can't think of the Yeah, it's one of the accounts at the It's not White House, but it's one of the accounts that the Trump administration runs, one.
Speaker 7: Of the accounts the administration users to disseminate information.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's quotation here from Marco Rubio quote. The President made the very wise decision. We knew that there was going to be an Israeli action, We knew that that would precipitate an attack against American forces, and we knew that if we didn't preemptively go after them before they launched over the attacks, we would suffer higher casualties. It seems like the initial push came from Israel, right. I'd also like to add that Tafran is getting bombed very heavily as we record this, something I think is missing in that discourse. We were actually going to have an episode about the water crisis in Iran this week. For obvious reasons, we made another Iran based episode. But Iran is critically low on water. Lake Umir, which was the largest lake in Asia, actually gone now from damning from draining of aquifers, and Tehran is sitting on top of an empty aquifer, which leads to greater potential for damage, I guess with some of these large bombs that we're seeing drop there, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, it also means that absent even any of this military aggression from the US that we're seeing right now, Iran was in realistic danger of becoming a failed state. Yes, because of the sheer lack of water. That is an existential threat when your capital city is running out of water, like, there's no other way to look at that kind scale of problem. And the fact that now they're dealing with this massacre of the people who had been running things, as well as mass destruction via the air of a lot of civil infrastructure. This is just so much more of a problem, and it makes the odds of the end result of all this being a failed state in the region that leads to a humanitarian crisis on scale of the refugee crisis we saw during the early stages of the Syrians of a war much likelier.
Speaker 10: Yeah, especially when you consider that there are millions of refugees already living in Iran right from Afghanistan right Ran it has been deporting them on a massive level. But like, yes, the chances of this being an absolute humanitarian disaster are worryingly high. Tehran received one millimeter of rain. Yeah, last year according to some Guardian reporting. I read like they were already, as you said, very close to people turning on the taps and nothing coming out. Yeah, they say, is not helping that. I want to move on to these claims that we have seen in the past twenty four hours about a Kurdish partner force in eastern Kurdistan, right, And in Kurdish that would be called Roja Lat that would be Western Iran, right.
Speaker 1: Right, Like Kurdistan. The broader region is western Iran, northern Iraq, northeast Syria, southern Turkey. Right. You can draw kind of a big glob around all those parts of the world that's Kurdistan.
Speaker 10: Yeah, exactly, if you can like draw up blot encompasses all of those things. Yeah. Obviously Kurdistan is not a state, it's an area.
Speaker 2: It's not at all.
Speaker 10: That is part of the issue at stake here, kind of a big deal kind of the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So Axios has reported that Trump called Buffal Talabani and Masud Barzani, who are the leaders of the two biggest factions in Iraqi Kurdistan. Yeah at Southern Kadistan North in Iraq. The piece was written by Barak Ravine. This is not Barak's first time joining us on executive disorder. Friend of the Bad Yeah yeah, regular guest biography. People remember last time that we talked about Barak. It was in the context of a leaked proposal for peace between Russia and Ukraine that appeared to be essentially a list of Russian demands but was not present was presented as a US proposal. I will try and remember what week we talked about that and the so that link in case people want to go back, right like, I've spent a lot of time appointing out on various websites how bad this piece was. It was atrocious in its understanding of Kurdish movements. For instance, it it listed Talabani and Bazani as leaders of Iranian Kurdish factions. What yeah, Like. I think it's important to note at this point that like media perceptions of the Middle East are often formed by people whose understanding is eclipsed by the introductory part of the Wikipedia article on a given topic. Vastly like that's not an exaggeration.
Speaker 2: Like this, this is this is this is like saying Macron is the leader of like the Quebecy separatists. Yeah, like that kind of ship.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and I see that.
Speaker 1: I do believe Actually that's a separate episode. I will be actually doing that in partnership with Info Wars France. Very excited to see that. Get off the ground.
Speaker 10: Info wor France. It's a frightening concept.
Speaker 1: Like genuinely, hey baby, they're turning the frogs. Gay, we gotta do something about that. That was a French.
Speaker 10: French very any excellent. Sorry. They also kind of didn't understand that SDF and Peshmerga were distinct entities.
Speaker 1: That appears Jesus Christ wildly different in the yes and combat efficacy too.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, yeah, very just like unless they're talking about the Peshmega Raja I guess, which like exists largely telegram rumors these days. The piece does line up with the strategies that we are seeing though. Right there has been significant bombing of IERGC and police facilities along the border with a ruck. There have been and continue to be many Eastern Kurdish groups who are based in a rack right now. Right there has been significant bombing along the road from Halabd to Kamanche right, which would be like a road that you would use if you're planning to move some people in that way. In theory, the KDP and the p UK, so they are the two major Kurdish factions in a rack, have unified their Peshmerger. Peshmerger means those who face death. They are the armed forces that are affiliated to the two Kurdish political parties. This is really kind of a rhetorical construct because they have regional commands which effectively mirror the areas where the KDP and p UK and control anyway, but they have unified payroll, which is interesting. It is also worth noting that pro Iran groups inside Iraq have been targeting Peshmerger with drone attacks. Both sides in its conflict are bombing Iraq cration now, which really does suck for people in Iraq.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like this conflict has been ever present. Obviously. After the Iraq War, Iran exerted a significant amount of influence. They brought explosively formed penetrators to the Shia militias in the region. Thea cleric Mattadal Sada, who was probably the most successful political figure of the war years and was very heavily involved with Iran. During the fighting in Mosul, you had Peshmurger, you had Iraqi Army soldiers generally from Baghdad, and then you had the PMFS, the Popular Mobilization Forces, and these were all Iran back militias and traveling, especially as I was with Puriage, you had always be really careful in the PMF positions because you never knew what would happen, because again they are enemies. They were tied together fighting ISIS, but they are not allied forces and they have a history of fighting each other.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that was a wild time ket a lot of people who had a lot of beef on the same side of that particular contract. It's also probably worth noting at this point that like it was the Department of Defense, not the CIA that was really driving the boat. Yes, when it came to like supporting the Kurds in Syria, Yeah, the CIA went with the TFSA right, that Turkish Free Syrian Army, which does not have a great record as far as not doing war crimes goes. I also received confirmation today that Barzani and Talibani spoke with Iran's foreign minister, so they've spoken with both Trump and the Iranian foreign minister. Kubad Talibani, who's a deputy Prime minister of Kurdistan, not the same person. It's Baffel Talabani, the leader of the PUK, made a statement to say that the Kurdistan region was not involved in the conflict. I think it's very unlikely that we will see large Peshmrger groups from northern Iraq southern Kurdistan entering Iran in the near future. I do think it's interesting that Reviede got this piece leaked to him because things don't generally get leaked because one person has a crisis of conscience. It does happen sometimes, but in events like this, it is normally a choice. And this particular story leaves the Kurdish people in a very difficult position because it puts a target directly on them for the Iranian regime, right, and they can fight or not fight, but they have been singled out as a group that is going to be the ground forces of this Israeli and US aggression, and what that means is they will be singled out for oppression at home, whether or not they fight. That leaves them in a place where they might have to chose to fight right or they might fight but not through their own choosing. There has been for some time an alliance for some time. I think twenty second of February is when it was made of five Kurdish groups, five Iranian Kurdish groups. These are Rather than saying them like phonetically, I had to read out the initials. People want to look them up pjak Pak, KDPI, and then these two groups have names not initials. There are two of the three parts of Kamala and Hubbat. It is more likely that these groups, specifically KDPI, will be willing to engage. We do know that Trump spoke to Mustafa Hidri that he's a KDPI leader. I have had sources that suggest that some Kurdish and some non Kurdish groups have at least the intention or desire to enter Iran and fight. I'm not really comfortable naming, particularly which ones I'd want DEADA sourcing on that. Yeah, what they plan to do is are unclear right. None of these Roja La groups are massive, like numerically, they don't have the manpower. However, ITV reported that weapons have been stuck piled in eastern Kurdistan for a while, and as we saw in in rajavers as we saw in southern Kokistan and the Islamic State times like, their ability to scale up their forces pretty rapidly is something that the Kurds have retained for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yet an advantage they have over so obviously, it is act true that in the months preceding this there were uprisings in Iran and tens of thousands were killed by the government, and that represents the people who in normal Iranian civil society would have been kind of best positioned to be active and a part of any sort of like government that were to follow. If the current government collapses under the onslaught being directed against it, a lot of those people are dead. That's not really the same case with the Kurdish movement, because at any given time, three quarters of the Kurdish movement is not you know.
Speaker 10: More or less is outside of a physically present.
Speaker 1: And this is what happened in Syria too. When you had other parts of the country massively depleted by the slaughter fighting asad in northeast Syria, you were able to have Kurds from southern Turkey and from northern Iraq come in and provide a lot of the backbone of what became these large and effective fighting units that were able to defeat. Isis when you're talking about, like, well, what's going to happen if the government of Iran starts to crumble. There's a pretty good odds that you wind up with a sizeable Kurdish force, and it would very likely be supported by Western at least initially by Western munitions in that chunk of Iran. Like, that's a very possible outcome.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's probably if we do see like continued as strikes for the Iranian state to disappear in its current form, that needs to be a ground element, right, yes, And these are among the most likely people. It is of course important to include the context that the US is less than a month of abandoning its Kurdish allies in Syria, right Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you should never if you're if you're listening to this and a member of like a foreign militant group that the US is talking to, don't ever trust us?
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah. Bad friends, yeah yeah, bad friends indeed. Yeah yeah, not friends.
Speaker 1: At all, bad allies, not friends at all guys that will fuck you the second we can like the second we can.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I will say that the Americans in Syria was specifically there to fight. Isis they want there to aid in the curty freedom struggled, right, right, and they have been very consistent about not aiding.
Speaker 1: The other thing about Rojava was it was very explicitly not a state and not an attempt to carve out a separate state, and they were always extremely emphatic about that. So it's a very different situation than anything you're seeing with the regime change the Trump administration is working on.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Yeah, let's take a break here and then we're going to talk about boats.
Speaker 2: Huzzah.
Speaker 10: All right, we are back and it's boat time.
Speaker 1: It boat time, jam stout PhD.
Speaker 10: Yeah you can't see it, but I'm wearing my little boat hat right now. I've got one of those stripey shirts on. So the United States has sunk a submarine and a total of seventeen Iranian ships, it's claiming. In a briefing, Saint Com said they were going after the entire Iranian navy at the current time. They claimed there are no Iranian ships in the Strait of Hormuz, the Arabian golf, or the Gulf of a Man. This briefing was interesting because they explicitly made the comparison to the invasion of Iraq, not an invasion, not a war that has the greatest rep in recent months and years.
Speaker 7: Even among conservatives.
Speaker 10: At this point, Trump has made a thing of well, I mean, Trump wasn't strongly opposed to the war in Iraq right that, I think he has acknowledged that it was a mistake or the way it was conducted was poor at least. What they said here was that the scale of this bombing campaign was twice that of the shock and or bombing campaign that we saw in Iraq. They have so far used cruise missiles, air strikes B two, B one, and BE fifty two bombers, long range precision of strike missiles for the first time. They call them prisms and something called Lucas strones, which are kind of interesting to me. They are the result of the United States capturing and reverse engineering an Iranian Shaheed drone. The Shaheed is like a it sounds like a lawn mower, very distinctive, sound like I've heard them flying over and yeah, but they are one way attract drone. They're essentially a sort of guided munition. They're very cheap, and they've been very effective for Iran and for Russia, who now makes has licensed production of these drones. So it's interesting that the US is openly just saying, yeah, we saw that and we copied it.
Speaker 1: It's one of the best ideas in warfare of the laste hundred years. It's an incredibly effective platform that seals up an enormous number of holes that have always existed in modern militaries, like the capacity gap that it allows, particularly a country like Aron to seal, right, because with enough shaheeds you effectively can mimic not just the assassination capabilities of like bigger drones, but something like close air support in a way that's very hard to interdect with traditional air power.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a real sea change, and they seem to be being used effectively right now.
Speaker 10: Yep, that's cheap. There's tons of them. Ukraine they've used like intercept to drones to intercept them, right, but that requires a lot of time, technology, and human effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I think this is probably a good time, James, for me to talk about munitions, because as you noted, we're using a significant amount of high precision projectiles. We're using like advanced weapons systems that are made to allow us to hit targets very precisely that could not be hit with dumb musicians or with less intelligent munitions. The downside of this is that it's hard to make enough munitions to maintain on a war footing in peacetime because in peacetime it's kind of a waste of money as an industry, and so capitalism doesn't tend to unless there's a war on reward companies for producing the kind of like munitions and number in the kind of number you would need to fight a modern war, and so whenever one does start up, you wind up with this situation. We're seeing this that we saw this with Russia and Ukraine. We're still seeing it in Russia and Ukraine. And we saw it in World War One two where very suddenly everyone runs out of ammunition, right and prior to the United States going to I'm going to say, going to war with Iran again, like literally about a week before, there was an article that dropped in the i think the Wall Street Journal about how Trump's top generals were really worried that the United States did not have enough munitions to sustain conflict with Iran for any significant period of time. And there's immediately in reports as soon as this started that that is, in fact exactly what's fucking happening. There's a good piece on CNN Politics written by Sean Lynngas, Kylie Atwood and Isabelle Khrushudian, and it describes, or at least it talks to conversations with someone at the Pentagon saying that the United States is burning through long range precision guided missiles at an unsustainable rate, and this is not just to attack Iranian positions, but also to stop Iranian ballistic missiles. Quote from that source, Each intercepts represents hundreds of hours of training, readiness, and technology all coming together to work. Is designed so that means you don't have an infinite number of these, whereas Iran is capable of producing a significant number of the ballistic missiles and the drones that these precision munitions are needed to shoot down. Iran's producing something like one hundred ballistic missiles a month, and had a stockpile going into this, we can build six or seven interceptor missiles in a month, right, So obviously we're going into this with stockpiles, and Trump has claimed that US munition stockpiles have never been higher or better, and that the war could go on forever very successfully just using these supplies, but he didn't specify what munitions he was referring to, and all of the information coming out suggests that we are, like the seventh Fleet has basically burned through its supply of advanced munitions. There's been confirmation because the IERGC claims they took out two THAD batteries, and I don't take the IERGC at their word, but we did get local confirmation in at least one case that one of those batteries was disabled, and it seems very likely based on some satellite imagery that both were damaged. How damaged they are is very hard to say. We're talking generally the radar array that you use for the missiles has been hit, but we've only got like eight of these things. These batteries are like not just our most best protection we would have from like submarine based nuclear missiles, but our best anti missile systems period. And we're in the process of peeling away the fat batteries that we've got in Korea to bring into the Middle East to continue to protect Israel and to protect our forces, and the fact that any of them may have been seriously damaged or lost is a serious problem for the United States. I want to continue from that CNN piece here they're interviewing Colonel Mark Gunzinger, who's a retired military colonel and the director of Future Concepts and Capability Assessments at the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies. He basically made this claim that, like, since the United States has established air superiority early on in this conflict, quote, there's not such a need for the higher end, very long range standoff weapons. I don't know that I agree with him on this because it seems like we're using some of those munitions now, but he's primarily talking about we don't need to use as discriminating of weapons systems now. Instead of using our super advanced precision guided munitions, we can use stuff like jadams, which we have a lot more. We have a huge stockpile of jade m's of various sizes and small diameter bombs. The problem is that these are not nearly as advanced in terms of their guidance capabilities, and the civilian casualties related from using these are much much higher. So we're hitting a point where we're running out of precision munitions, and it seems very clear that, at least among military thinkers, the attitude is that's fine, because we'll just use these bigger weapons that kill more civilians, and yeah, that's what you should look forward to in the next stages of this conflict.
Speaker 10: Yeah, talking of I guess the next stages of this conflict. The Military Religious Freedom Foundation, it's supporting that it's been flooded with complaints from troops whose officers believe the operation will bring about the end of days as we're told in the Bible.
Speaker 1: Well there you go.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah. Here's a quotation from one of their non commissioned officer clients. Quote, this morning, our commander opened up the combat Redness status briefing by urging us not to be a afraid as to what is happening with our combat operations in Iran right now. He urged us to tell our troops this was all part of God's define plan, and he specifically referenced numerous citations out of the Book of Revelation referring to Armageddon and the imminent return of Jesus Christ. He said that quote President Trump has been anointed by Jesus to light the signal fire in Iran, to cause armageddon and mark his return to Earth. I am not a big Bible understander, but Garretton Davis, a regular resident Bible person, please comment if you want to. I don't think this is good, is my take on that. I think it's a great way to be going around foreign policy.
Speaker 7: No, it's not a good foreign policy blueprint.
Speaker 1: It might be kind of made biblically accurate, though, I mean.
Speaker 7: That's the thing, is that the blueprint it is, it is, it is accurate, though I was Trump.
Speaker 1: Does in fact match a number of descriptions of the Antichrist, and it is possible that what we're doing in Iran ends in the apocalypse.
Speaker 10: So you know, my understanding is this hinges on a certain color of cat.
Speaker 2: The red hypher. This is the whole thing. We had a baling we.
Speaker 10: Made it in texas'er. Yes, yes, this is this is one of the first, the first like American like subculture things I ever engaged with it from like when I got the Internet at school and you could go into the computer lab and look at stuff I learned about if people trying to make a red heifer, right, like, yeah, that will bring about the apocalypse is cow. Yeah, fascinating stuff.
Speaker 1: Very normal, very normal.
Speaker 10: That's all I've got. Hopefully send us pictures of your cataly I you've got one of the appropriate color, and that will be a sign that it's all over.
Speaker 7: I mean, things in Iran do not seem to be winding down. If anything, they holding or ramping up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: On Tuesday, Mark Rubio said, quote, in the next few hours and days, you're going to really begin to perceive a change in the scope and the intensity of these attacks, as frankly, the two most powerful air forces in the world take apart this terroristic regime and defang it.
Speaker 2: Quote that, by the way, was also proceeded immediately by him saying We're going to unleash Chang which is a completely unhinged thing from the old old like anti communists far right where they're like, we're gonna unleash Shanghai shack and he's going to retake China and kill everyone. So that's that's great, that's that's fun, extremely normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a that's a John Bircher right there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, wow.
Speaker 7: And after a closed door Senate hearing briefing the Senate on actions in Iran, Senator Bluementhal said, quote, I am more fearful than ever after this briefing that we may be putting boots on the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have to. You can't actually stop the regime without doing that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, even that like Trump model, which is a Syria model, right of a relatively limited footprint with a partner for US. Yeah, it's still like American people died in Syria.
Speaker 1: Well, and unfortunately, I think they're also looking to Libya. Right. Initially we're hoping it would be something like that, But the thing is in Libya, you already had a situation where there was a massive army a raid against the dictator who was holding them back via air power. So being able to stop the air power was able to was enough to sign the regime's death warrant. And obviously the failure of NATO to do anything to help Libya in the wake of that has been awful. But it's totally different in Iran. Like it's the Iranian people, the Ranian like resistance. The Iranian protests had not taken territory. They had not swung large chunks of the Iranian military. The military and the regime were still in control of the country and nothing has changed in that regard. So if you're going to knock out the regime, you have to send in the fucking marines. That's the only way, and that's I think what's going to happen at some point.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's going to be uh the next few days, probably by the time you're hearing this. By the way, just as we're recording this, hopefully this has left the news cycle. Several news outlets have published the Kurdish paramilitary forces are streaming across the border into a ruck. That's not true. Each of those groups who are claiming are doing that have denied it. There is going to be a lot of misinformation, yeah, in the next few weeks, and you should be very careful about where you are sourcing your news. Yeah. I just wanted to make that very clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the first war, potentially major war that started while already in place, was an entire system that monetized people getting disinformation about that war to go viral.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously that has impacted things in Ukraine. Later in Palestine and Palestine too, but when the invasion started, those were not like it. Really it came into being over what happened in Palestine. You're right, Garrison, Yeah, but it's now in complete form at the start of the conflict.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a whole like industry, you know, across many different countries, so misinformation to win money via the blue check system on Twitter, which is still used for you know, news sourcing across the world in the case of breaking events.
Speaker 2: So speaking of industry, so one of the other consequences of this war has been effectively the end of trade and passage to the straight offour Moose, which is extremely critical lifeline for the world economy. I'm going to quote here from Al Jazeera quote a commander in Iran's Revolutionary Guard course set on Monday, but the strait was quote closed and that any vessel attempting to pass through the water way would be set quote a blaze. Now, for CNBC, there's about thirteen million barrels of oil a day that flows through the strade of four Moose's thirty one percent of all sea worn crude flowed. The total like impacted oil production and distribution from this is about it's about a fifth of the world's oil supply total that is being impacted by this. Liquefied natural gas is also being massively impacted because of yeah, the places where a whole bunch of natural gas and oil are produced. This is a very, very significant blow to the world's energy supply and one of the reasons why, even if you don't care like the US does and about, you know, obliterating Ibronian schoolgirls with bombs, this war is a terrible idea because you're suddenly losing access to a fifth of the world's oil supply. Now, Trump has repeatedly said that this strait is not open. The RGC has repeatedly said that it is closed. Trump also yesterday that we're recording this on Wednesday, said that the US will escort tankers if necessary through the straight with US Navy ships. The other major issue here is that no insurance company will ensure any ship going through this, because why on earth would you do that. And Trump has also ordered the government to ensure these tankers. And this has stopped the massive rise in oil prices a little bit that was happening at the beginning of at the beginning of the conflict. However, I don't know why it stopped the rise in oil prices, because this won't work. You can't just escort oil tankers through the Strait with American battleships and have them not Like, do you know how big an oil tanker is and how slow they are? Like, there's no way militarily that you can actually move oil tankers through here. You just can't. It's too easy to hit with literally any munition. So the sort of American markets don't seem to have figured out that you obviously cannot escort oil tankers through the trade of permus. Where people have figured this out are the Asian markets, particularly South Korea and Thailand, where both of their stock index has had their circuit breakers triggered, which is the emergency system may have in place when the market is collapsing too fast all trading halts. South Korea's index lost twelve point zero six percent yesterday, which is the single largest drop that the market has ever experienced. Yeah, it's it's it's it's really bad. The Chinese indexes have been okay, but both Japan and Taiwan we're down between three and four percent, which is still also quite bad. Now South Korea and Thailand specifically, the reason that these two countries are having just sort of apocalyptic market collapses is that these two countries are extremely reliant on imported oil. And you know, there's this tendency to think about oil as just liquid money, and it's not. You do actually have to use it to power things, and a stificant portion of the of both the Thai and the South Korean economy are sort of heavy industrial things that require this oil. These countries are now in very dire straits. And the only way that this could stop is if somehow Trump wins the war very very quickly and be able to reopen the Straight, which I don't think is particularly likely. So this is probably just going to intensify. Yeah, you could call it a dire straight.
Speaker 1: Ah Garrison, you've you've brought up my favorite band, of which I am aware of one of their songs, great band, heard the one song of theirs, and I know one.
Speaker 10: Of the songs that has a slur in it. There are better songs, hey.
Speaker 1: No, but they stopped using the slur and more and more, okay, Andre, But also the slur was never it was never a slur directed at the audience. They were talking from the perspective of a bigot insulting them. Yeah, yeah, so it's I think anyway.
Speaker 10: Yeah, in terms of songs, were slurs not the worst speaking of dire straights, I'm cutting the white people off, talking about.
Speaker 2: Are cutting it off? Speak speaking of being in dire strait Spain in a well. When I wrote this script, I said, a rare moment of bravery. I should give them slightly more credit than that, but in a moment of genuine bravery and principle. The Spanish government has refused to allow the US to use its air bases to conduct the war in Iran. Yeah, these are American air bases in Spain. This has led to a bunch of assets being moved out of Spain. Trump has responded to this by I was going to quote out to Zerra, quote round the Zeerra. He said he had told his he had told his Secretary of the Treasury, Scott Bestet, to quote cut off all dealings with Spain. We're going to cut off all trade with Spain. We don't want anything to do with Spain, the president said.
Speaker 1: The Trump is taking away your your mona Berrico like you have to. We have to stop this, there will be no top.
Speaker 2: Most of them.
Speaker 1: Where else are we going to get the highest quality smoked meats?
Speaker 10: Yeah? So will that forever be worse. It's not really possible to do this, right because Spain is in the EU. Yeah, don't have internal boards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it shouldn't be possible to do this.
Speaker 1: I knows.
Speaker 2: I think it's like probably, I'm leaning towards about ninety five to five that Trump just forgets about this. So there's a five percent chance there's some completely hitherto unused, unhinged national security like power that was passed by John wu specifically. But I don't know. We're back to Calvin ball trade policy. He's just saying stuff I was wrong last week. They're just making shit up.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing like that this shows that's may be optimistic, is how different the climate is like this, the social climate is in the United States as opposed during the Iraq War, where Like, if this has happened during the Iraq War, you would have had people like renaming Spanish dishes freedom fucking.
Speaker 6: Die or whatever.
Speaker 1: You would have had, there would have been like a social there's not There's been no cultural backlash against Spain in the United States that I that I've seen that as any kind.
Speaker 2: Of juice, and you know, and just to say like one serious than before we wrap this up, Like the approval rating for this war is sub fifty percent right now. Yeah, it's only going to get worse because worl approof of ratings are always the highest when they first start. It's already sub fifty Everyone hates this. I want to wrap this up before we go to ads by saying the administration had also claimed that Spain had, because of the threat of economic pressure whatever, had agreed to cooperate, and the Spanish government immediately said, no, we didn't. What are you talking about. Yeah, so they're just lying about stuff again. It's great.
Speaker 10: Yeah, whoo ooh fantastic.
Speaker 7: You know what else is great?
Speaker 10: What's that? Garrison America?
Speaker 12: Again?
Speaker 7: This brief ad break before we return for even more news. All right, we are back. Two final story used to cover this episode. Last week, the Kansas State Legislature passed new law, overriding Governor Laura Kelly's veto, invalidating state issued driver's license with updated gender markers, requiring quote Kansas issued driver's license and identification cards reflect the credential holders sex at birth unquote. After this law was passed, the state sent letters to trans people informing them their license was now invalid, effective immediately, including to at least one transperson who did not change their gender marker but recently changed her legal name. State officials say about one thousand and seven hundred license holders were affected. The law also invalidates updated birth certificates and prohibits anyone born in Kansas from updating the gender marker on state issued per certificates and driver's license in the future. This same law also prohibits trans people from using the public restrooms on government property that alignce with their gender, and allows private citizens to sue someone suspected of being trans in the quote unquote wrong restroom in a government building for damages totaling one thousand dollars. Two trans Kensons and the a Solu have filed a lawsuit claiming the new law SB two four four violates the Kansas Constitutions protections for personal autonomy, privacy, the quality under the law, due process, and freedom of speech.
Speaker 1: Yep, no, great, No, it's obviously is a violation of all those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it's also just word, noting that this is part of a trend we've been seeing of just this is basically what used to be a whole bunch of different bills like compiled into one. Right, this is like a bounty bill, this is like a ban. This is instead of having legislative fights O for all the different elements, they're just pushing them all through in one package, which has been working for them.
Speaker 7: Very like clear like egregious violation of rights. And now there's a Now you have people in a situation where they could have their passport being invalid, their birth certificate being invalid, and their state driveralisms being invalid.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's a.
Speaker 7: Very precarious situation. Yeah, that we will watch to see the followut of in the next few weeks to months. Finally, the Texas primary election that happened on Tuesday, some big news coming out of that the Republican Senate primary was going to advance to a runoff election between incumbent John Cornyn and Attorney General Ken Paxton. Though this runoff could be disrupted because Trump just signaled that he will endorse Coronin, leading many to suspect that Paxton may drop out of the race. This is still unclear, but it was a very close race between those two and one other person that was going to go to a runoff due to redistricting. Two Democratic incumbents House Representatives Al Green and Christian Menefee battled over a new district and a close race that will now also go to a runof off sim Goo's representative Julie Johnson, and former Representative Colin Alred, who dropped out of the Senate race to run for this newly redrawn district. Neither of these two were able to reach a majority, so that race will also head to a run off. Incumbent Dan Crenshaw lost the primary, yeah, to the Republican challenger Steve Toath, who was backed by the party's far right an Tucker Carlson is significantly to the right of Dan Crenshaw. Yeah, he's as fun as it is to see Crenshaw go down. He's getting replaced by someone that is actually worse.
Speaker 1: It's not good, it's just kind of funny.
Speaker 2: We replaced Hitler with Hitler too. Yeah, great things happening.
Speaker 10: Because he specifically had spoken out about some Trump policies, right, like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he had gone more independent on some issues rather than like keytoeing to the to the current Republican line, and that opened him up to attacks from the right. Yeah, but the big story of the night is the Democratic Senate I'm Mary, in which Texas State House Rep. James Tallerco is projected to be us A presentative for Texas Jasmin Crockett, who previously told tall Rico that she would not run for the Senate before entering the race late in December. Crockett did not concede the night of the election. Has since conceded, but did not concede election night, citing issues at voting precincts and dueling court orders that sowed confusion come election day. Republicans in Dallas County and Williamson County switched the rules from county wide centralized polling locations to an assigned precinct system where voters can only cast their ballots at one specific location. After reports of people being turned away from their regular polling locations on election day and being told they had to travel to their assigned precinct to cast their ballot, both Crockett and tall Rico advocated to expand voting hours in these counties to compensate for the confusion and ensure all the votes intended to be cast on election day would be counted. Judges in Dallas and Williamson County extended voting hours to nine and ten pm, respectively, but later that night, in a ruling just before eight thirty pm, the Texas Supreme Court blocked the lower court's order and instructed Dallas and Williamsman County to separate any ballots cast by voters who entered the line after seven pm and marked them as provisional ballots. After a request by Turn General Ken Paxton, who claimed his office was not properly notified of the extended voting hours, Paul Adams, the Dallas County election administrator, confirmed that these separated ballots would not be counted, pending further legal challenges. At her election night watch party, Crockett said that she had quote no idea how it is that clerks are going to know who was in line by what time. I can tell you now that people have been disenfranchised quote. On Wednesday morning, Crockett did concede the race, but told The New York Times quote the Democratic Party should absolutely prepare for the worst and get some things litigated right now. People will not turn out because of what's happened. In my opinion, especially if no one fights for their votes to be counted unquote.
Speaker 10: It does feel a lot like the first decade of the century. Again, like we go wars in the Middle East. We've got people arguing about votes that should be counted and not counted. It's great.
Speaker 7: So the total number of votes cast in the Republican primary that are tallied so far at ninety five percent of the votes in is two million, one hundred and forty two thousand, two hundred and eleven versus the Democratic primary. That's two million, three hundred and eight thousand, eight hundred and thirty six, slightly more Democratic votes counted in the primary.
Speaker 10: Texas has open primaries.
Speaker 7: Apparently Texas has open primaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 7: Tallerico will up nine points among white voters, up twenty two points among Hispanic while Crockett was up twenty three points among Black voters. Crockett was up eight points with Biden voters and tall Rico up thirty two points with Sanders voters. If you look at the twenty twenty presidential primary, and that gives you a little bit of a peak into kind of what these two candidates are presented with Crockett serving on the Kamala Harris campaign definitely more of a k Hive esque candidate, and Tall Rico a little bit running off of the kind of Bernie Sanders progressive coat tails, a little bit not coat tails, but like using that sort of playbook as more of like a relatable working class guy, less of like an established mid Democrat like Crockett sort of branded herself as Tall. Rico is a former school teacher who served in the state House since twenty eighteen. Fought against Christian nationalism and a bill mandating the Ten Commandments be displayed in classrooms, calling the bill unconstitutional, Unamerican, and deeply un Christian. In his past legislation lowering the cost of prescription drugs, He's like a progressive Christian. That's kind of I guess the best way to describe him as he Yeah, frequently went viral the past three years for clips of him, you know, arguing in the Texas State House, you know, arguing for progressive points of view while like quoting Bible versus that sort of thing. For this campaign of his, he was running on affordability and cost of living. That was the real focus of this campaign of targeting the richest one percent and giant corporations, making billionaires and corporations quote unquote pay their fair share of taxes, raising federal minimum wage to fifteen dollars, expanding child and earned income tax credits. He's opposed state legislation restricting gender a firming healthcare, including for people under eighteen. In September, right after he announced his candidacy, Tellerico, who's a member of the LGBTQ Caucus, responded to a question about trans athletes like this.
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting.
Speaker 14: I've been in this race for five days and I've had a lot of interviews with national meetia. No one's ever asked me about the cost of housing. No one's asked me about the cost of prescription drugs, no one's asking me about the cost of childcare. The only thing the media wants to ask me about are trans athletes. And so what I would say is that the only minority destroying this country is the billionaires. Trans People are one percent of the population, Undocumented people are one percent of the population, Muslims are one percent of the population. We are all focused on the wrong one percent. Trans People aren't taking away our healthcare. Undocumented people aren't defunding our schools. Muslims aren't cutting taxes for themselves and their rich friends. It's the billionaires and their puppet politicians. And so we need not only the media but all of us to focus on the real problem at hand.
Speaker 7: Hey, it appear like this was effective messaging.
Speaker 1: It's a good response. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, The only dangerous minority is to rich. It has consistently actually been a popular yeah messaging. The Democrats have nonetheless shied away from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's who it donates money to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they like that. It's the only minority they liked.
Speaker 10: Because many of them are ragel Yeah, and others wish to.
Speaker 7: Be Tallarico supports regulating AI universal health care, term limits for Congress and its threem court justices, halting Israel's illegal settlements, restoring the talking only filibuster, and banning gerrymandering, and establishing independent redistricting. Talary participated in the Texas Democrats protests against redistricting, both in like twenty twenty one and last year in twenty twenty five, where they fled Texas.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they went on the holiday for a while.
Speaker 7: On his campaign website, he talks about advocating reform to make legal immigration easier, in creating pathways to legalization for undocumented immigrants already long present, as well as spouses and dreamers. Part of his immigration policy reads, quote, prioritize the deportation of criminals, gang members, and human traffickers, not our neighbors who contribute to our communities, pay taxes, impose no threat to our safety unquote. Part of where this sort of language I think falls apart is that when the Trump administration claims that it's deporting gang members and criminals like what we saw with people sent to Seacott, that also includes regular people. That also includes our neighbors. And I think that is one slight fault in this messaging. It's going to be interesting with him running in the general now, you know in Texas where the border is a big issue there, and a lot of his immigration stuff definitely is not going to at least currently is not as far to the left as as some other progressive Democrats, and this is something that he is currently being pushed on, especially after winning. Progressive advocates are pushing him on Ice specifically, as well as some stuff on Israel. And Gaza. Telleryco Is advocated to stop the sale of quote unquote offensive weapons to Israel while still funding the I Dome and defensive weapons. Talked about trying to find a way to make sure that defense weapons cannot be used offensively. But he does recognize that Gaza is an extremely important issue and said in an interview quote one of the primary reasons the Democratic Party lost young voters in particular last election was our party's failure to recognize the moral disaster in Gaza. And I hope that we have leaders who recognize that mistake. I think that's all I need to say of regarding that the generals not until November, and if it is a Cornyn, that will be a much much harder race considering he's an incumbent versus Paxton, who has a lot of avenues for attack. For someone like tall Rico, who can lean on his like a Christian charm to it attract voters both in rural areas as well as lean on his support among Hispanic voters as demonstrated in the primary. Mia, you have one final thing to add based on the primary elections in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there were a bunch of primary elections in North Carolina. And I'm mentioning this because there was a series of North Carolina Democrats who voted with Republicans to pass anti trans legislation over a veto from the governor, and also voted with them on really horrifying like pro ice legislation, and those people lost by cartoon margins. We are talking margins that start at thirty percent go to forty percent, and one of these people lost their race by fifty percent.
Speaker 10: Jeez.
Speaker 2: So the anti trans candidates and the like I am pro ice racist candidates lost by like bath party numbers, which which I think is actually very encouraging because I think it's a sign of where people are right now, where people are going. Even as the state is trying to do anti transppression, this has become a thing that is enough where if you are willing to vote for this shit and make a bunch of trans people suffer, you will lose by You will lose by forty in a primary. Unbelievable.
Speaker 10: Primaries tend to include more informed, politically engaged voters, and that it's one of the things that engages people most right now, specifically the ice stuff.
Speaker 1: It's also more ideologically motivated voters, and the right has made the far right has made use of this for decades to push the more moderate actual politicians stuff for the Republican Party further right, because you can't win primaries without getting like appealing to the most extreme of them, and there has not up until very recently been that kind of success with like far left positions. Not that I think basic respect for trans people ought to be far left, but it's clearly not a centrist dim position.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, yeah, apparently, And.
Speaker 1: I think that this is good. I think it's a smart way to influence the direction of the party.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. I want to close with there's a slogan from Chile that gets used in social movements constantly that goes roughly like, Chile is where neiliberalism was born, and we're going to kill it here. And I think this is sort of the start of potentially that in North Carolina, where well, this isn't the start, but hopefully we're seeing like the culmination of a whole bunch of ways of activism and organizing amobialization that can kill this kind of anti trans politics in the place where it was born. The first bathroom.
Speaker 10: Bill, So if you would like to email us with some tips on stories. You can do so at cool Zone Tips at proton dot me that it's not the email address to plug your book or ask if you could be on behind the bus sets and if you do that, I will block you.
Speaker 2: Put at your end, Skirl on your couch.
Speaker 7: We reported the news, We reported the news.
Speaker 1: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 4: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources where it Could Happen here listen directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.