Speaker 1: From Marhard where Innovation of Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlove.
Speaker 2: I'm Caroline Heide of Bloomberg's world headquarters in New York, and I'm Ed Ludlow in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Technology coming up.
Speaker 2: Oh, Apple wiping out as much as two hundred billion dollars in market value. That's as China broadens its iPhone. Man, we'll discuss the outlook for the company and what it means for US China relations.
Speaker 4: And we'll dive deep into the world of artificial intelligence with the CEO of Imbu, which just raised two hundred million dollars, and we speak to the former CEO of r go Ais he embarks on a new mission with more than a billion dollars in backing expected to come from SoftBank.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Instacart preparing to said it's IPO price range as soon as Monday, as the startup is gearing for its road show. We'll bring you all that and so much more. But Ed, the market is being dictated front and center by what is happening with Apple right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's exactly how we frame it. The news Chinese authorities, according to Bloomberg sources, are thinking about expanding a ban on the iPhone in state enterprises and in government agencies.
Speaker 3: The market reaction is clear, with.
Speaker 4: Off session lows in Thursday session down around three percent, but just following the open we were down five percent. That was putting us on track for our biggest single day drop since September of last year, so in a year, and on a two day basis, we were headed for our biggest two day drop since May of twenty twenty two. That tells you the severity of the action, and we will look at some of the suppliers later in the program who are also moving to the downside. You talked about at the top of the show that two hundred billion dollars in market cap shed because of what's been reported over the last twenty four hours. That was on a two day basis. Where we're at now two point seven to seven billion or eighty billion dollars approximately in marketcap eighty to ninety billion shed this morning alone. And you think about Apple as the biggest constituent of both the S and B five hundred, then as that one hundred Carr, You're absolutely right. It's being felt much more broadly in financial markets this Thursday. Let's get the details and what's happening with China's reported Apple ban with Bloomberg's Mark gum and chief correspondent for Apple, Mark tell us what we know at this state.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ed, thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: What we're reporting is that government owned companies, government agencies, those types of government affiliated organizations, in addition to the government itself is either banning or plans to ban the use of iPhones and other foreign built devices or foreign devices from foreign run companies to China within the region. Now, Tip, this is clearly having a major impact.
Speaker 3: On the market.
Speaker 5: Like you said, a couple hundred billion dollars of marketcap getting wiped away because of this news. And one thing I want to clarify is I think investor can Burns is not so much on lost unit sales from a potential ban like this from these agencies, but it's what it means for Chinese nationalism and if people in China are going to decide to no longer buy iPhones in some quantity because of this, So it's not the government employees that investors are concerned about but if this is going to create some sort of domino effect for the iPhone's penetration within China.
Speaker 2: And Mark of course, Ed shouts out that the suppliers are under pressure, market valuations being lost with Qualcom Skyworks, we think of Micron technology as well.
Speaker 6: What about the supply side, What about the.
Speaker 2: Amount of manufacturing that's done in China by Apple?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean if you think about the larger Apple ecosystem in supply chain, right, when Apple is impacted by something like this, it's not only landing at Apple's doorstep, it's all the suppliers that contribute to the company's products, right Qualcom you mentioned there's other technology makers Micron and such that you mentioned that could be fearful of further bands impacting them down the road for products that their components are in. Certainly this is a concerning but we have to see exactly how widespread this becomes. If you look on social media China Mobile, there was a rumor yesterday going around that China Mobile would not be procuring iPhone fifteen units as part of this band. Given China Mobile is a state run carrier. It's a major carrier with nearly a billion customers there.
Speaker 3: So that was quite scary.
Speaker 5: But the carrier has come out through state media and denied the idea that they're not going to be working with Apple, so that is a positive there. But we really have to see how widespread this becomes and how this is going to impact the minds of consumers. Obviously, this band comes at the same time that Huawei and other Chinese phonemakers are upping their game in China too, so clearly, just days ahead of Apple's big iPhone fifteen launch, there is some concern going on in China. But we still need to see how broad this goes.
Speaker 6: Well said regarding Huawei.
Speaker 2: Will dig into that in a moment, but for now, we really sang Mark governman, of course our chief really correspondent on all things Apple, and let's get the investigate. Let's get a conversation with Alet Young now chief investment strategists at a quantitive research firm, Map Signals, and Alec did you agree with Mark there that really this is the concern of not just state run businesses, but the fact that this is Chinese nationalism, This is a consumer no wanting, no longer wanting to purchase Apple products.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you for having me.
Speaker 8: Certainly a very noisy situation around Apple right now. There's no question that part of the negative inferences that are swirling around right now is this idea that Apple gets caught up in a nationalist rivalry between the US and China. If iPhones, for example, were to become stigmatized throughout Chinese society over the next few months to the point that it depressed demand, those types of narratives inevitably are popping into investors' minds right now.
Speaker 7: But I think it's.
Speaker 8: Worth noting that so far the ban in the government agencies, we're looking at about a half a million units according to a lot of the Wall Street research that I'm reading, and that's out of a total run rate over the next twelve months of about forty five million iPhones in China. So the current band impacts a little over one percent of the units. Obviously, if it spreads to state owned enterprises and it winds up having a bigger societal impact in China on iPhone usage, it would be much worse, much bigger, But at this.
Speaker 7: Point it's fairly contained.
Speaker 8: It's also worth noting that Apple has been gaining market share in China over the last few years, about three hundred basis points in the last twelve months.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: It is true that Huawei.
Speaker 8: Is launching more competitive bones, so you know, it'll be interesting to see how that dynamic evolves. But the current context is that Apple's doing very well in China.
Speaker 2: Its valuation is done very well as well. Do you think that basically this is a bit of a perfect storm. Therefore we're seeing the sort of market cap erosion because of how well tech companies have outperformed. Because we're at a twenty nine times future earnings, Yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Think the streets at about six fifty for next year, so we're actually at twenty seven and change on the forward multiple right now.
Speaker 7: But there's no question that.
Speaker 8: When the stock peaked at one ninety eight a few weeks ago, it was around thirty times. It was priced to perfection. So this type of news is not going to be greeted favorably. In addition, we've got macro issues with rising rates that can also pressure equity valuation.
Speaker 7: So I think this is a healthy pullback.
Speaker 8: But in terms of the bigger question, does this change the bulkcase for Apple of the long term, I definitely think the jury's still out. You know, there's probably some legitimate signal in today's news, but there's also a tremendous amount of noise, yes and overreacting to knee jerk noisy media driven things around this.
Speaker 7: Stock and many others.
Speaker 8: Frankly, has it historically been a great way to make money on Wall Street?
Speaker 2: And was interesting is that Apple has a big event coming up pretty soon. But Apple has also been pretty dedicated to China in terms of what.
Speaker 4: They've said, at least, this is the big question for me alec. Right last quarter they said that there was a swing in China to eight percent revenue growth in Greater China from a three percent decline the prior quarter. But it's what they called switchers, consumers in China that were buying an iPhone for the first time or switching from a domestic or other international brand. I acknowledge what you just said, but look at the market reaction and explain to us whether this is knee jerk or it's the market recalibrating what they heard from Apple in that earning school.
Speaker 7: I think it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 8: Obviously, it's knee jerk because investors have to react to the news as it breaks.
Speaker 7: We can't control when we get the news, but.
Speaker 8: Definitely a recalibration of potential, you know, revenue headwinds, earnings headwinds is definitely in the calculus here. But you know, ultimately, you know, American investors were not used to gauging, you know, government intervention of this magnitude. It's normally about the free market deciding who's got the best product. I think on that basis, it's clear Chinese people love iPhones, but obviously when we have you know, the.
Speaker 7: Government's hand at play so heavily.
Speaker 8: It's difficult for Americans to read because frankly, it's not something that we're used to in our home market or really in most major markets around the world.
Speaker 7: So we'll have to see how it plays out. But unless you know, the government.
Speaker 8: Takes a very heavy hand, you know, I don't think this is going to really be looked back upon as a major negative, game changing inflection point for the company.
Speaker 4: You know, at the question of the day here, I'm going back television has been is tech in trouble? You know, in the year of Ai, the year of the FED and valuations? Is geopolitics in China now kind of an equal weighted risk factor.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it's definitely I don't know about equal weighted. We've got a lot of other macro issues we're contending with, but certainly geopolitical risk with China is at the top of the geopolitical risk table, and certainly you know the situation with Taiwan and now just this general competitive tension that we seem to have going on with the Chinese. The Trade Secretary's recent visit Jui Romando didn't really go over that well. So it's definitely something that investors are going to have to monitor, especially in light.
Speaker 7: Of the.
Speaker 8: Recent regulations around semiconductors and you know US banning their access to certain high end semis. They're trying to do the same to us in other areas. We've got Nvidia involved, So it's definitely something that investors are going to have to watch.
Speaker 4: Alec Young, chief investment strategist at MAP Signals, thank you. A perfect segue, because the other top story is s k Heinex has opened an investigation into the use of its chips in the latest phone from Huawei after a tear down commissioned by Bloomberg of the latest device revealed that s ke Heinez's memory and flash storage was inside, though the Korean maker confirmed to Bloomberg it has not worked with Huawei and it has been adhering Caroline to US sanctions. This is an incredible story and.
Speaker 2: This is where politics and of course supply chain really intertwine and timing. We were just mentioning Gina Romando, of course was over there in China Commerce Secretary. At that exact moment, Huawei very quietly unleashes this new product, the Mate sixty. We all wonder where the chippers come from. Is s mic Smick as has known, or have they been bypassing some of these very stringent what do they call it, sort of a high walls the ability of the US seemingly been trying to cut them off from the supply chain that they still manage to access.
Speaker 4: This is how it came about. Huawei put out the Mate sixty pro. Bloomberg News got their hands on one, took it to Tech Insights, they did a tear down. One of the main processors was made in China by Smick. And now they've uncovered two memory chips nand in a high end or next gen d ram that are covered by sanctioned sa Gainitz has responded straight away saying, look, we didn't know about this, We did not work with Huawei.
Speaker 2: And meanwhile, it's been this sort of moment to celebrate for the Chinese at least this idea that they're able to produce these incredibly powerful chips in their own country, supply them, and therefore make an incredibly powerful new phone that some analysts are saying, could this be the Apple killer in China? And the question is is how much they have managed to really build and operate and become self sustaining when it comes to their own semiconductors in China. We continue to dig into that key geopolitical story. We continue to think about the knock on a Fox effects for the entire border market ed because this is a key concern China US what it means for Apple. Of course, when you've got the big bell, whether that is Apple under pressure, you're going to have the whole nastac.
Speaker 6: On the downside.
Speaker 2: But just think who was thinking was it was actually in the green earlier trade. It's now off by more than two percent. We're seeing some other key players, and we've mentioned the suppliers to Apple being under pressure, The Coal com for example two year yield. Though interesting that we're seeing the bond market just get a little bit of bid on the front end. Now we've seen, of course many wondering about where.
Speaker 6: We see the federal reserve go.
Speaker 2: The job bless hims today once again strength in the US jobs market. But for now, maybe we get a little bit of buying moment after the sell off that we've seen in the bond market of late. Euro under pressure because we've got very weak European data over all, the really peeking out the tiniest bit of growth in the second quarter. What does that mean for the ECB The euro is down versus the US dollar, so much more to come on the macro and the micro. This is win bog technology.
Speaker 3: Time for talking tech.
Speaker 4: First up, California Governor Gain having use and signed and executive order on AI regulation that it instructs state agencies to examine how artificial intelligence might threaten the security and privacy of California residents, while also authorizing state employees to experiment with AI tools and try integrating them into the state's operations.
Speaker 3: Use some tol Bloomberg News.
Speaker 4: There's a Pandora's box being opened here and we just want it done in a safe way. Plus billionaire Patrick Drahi's debt laid in telecommunications empire Altice is weighing the sale of its French data centers in a deal valued at one point one billion dollars, as well as the sale of part of the capital of Altis France, and options for Portugal Telecom and its ad tech company Teeds. All of this in an effort to shore up confidence in his network of businesses, which have been battered by a Portuguese corruption probe targeting key figures linked to our teas. And Finally, a fintech owner in London is facing allegations that he helped notorious drug traffickers attempt to launder hundreds of millions of euros through a crypto exchange platform. The thirty eight year old Italian is alleged to have converted piles of cash into crypto accounts for a criminal gang. The case puts the British financial technology scene under fresh scrutiny amid fears that its weak controls are enabling the movement of illicit funds around the world.
Speaker 2: Caroline really global set of stories there and and look now we're going to return a bit more to home and for the IPO market, we are gearing up online grocery delivery startup and indeed on more broadly e commerce tools. Instacart it's preparing to set a price range for its IPO and start its investor roadshow as early as the coming Monday. Boy, have we got this back to school feeling right now? And I'm pleased to welcome to the showroomg Ryan Gould, who really can set the scene of what story they're going to be trying to tell investors on this roadshow come Monday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, Caroline.
Speaker 9: I think you know, there's certainly some energy as we head into this back to school period. Dare I say probably a little bit of cautious optimism. You know, there's a set of new IPOs that sort of been talked about for you know, months, if not years in instacar case. You know, as we said, instacart is about to said it's price range as early as Monday, kick off a road show, and then they could look to price it as soon as the nineteenth, so almost a week later trading on the twentieth. I think, you know, this is a point that you know, we're starting to see people sort of jostling for position. Armor is already out there. It's the biggest ipea of the year. They've got their price range, could be pricing soon. But you know, there's certainly some energy, I would say, and I think probably there are quite a few investors who are starting to feel a little more constructive about how we think about hypos in the US.
Speaker 2: Mangled great to have them on very early to the game. In terms of Bloomberg, I think we've just welcomed into the company and already right here I'm going to beg technology.
Speaker 6: Time now for work shifting.
Speaker 2: It's where look we look at the changing landscape of the labor market amid advances in technology and today. But job Stata initial jobbers claims in particular showing resilience in this workforce lowest levels for job as claims amid a resilient labor market for the US, But there are issues historic labor force games we've actually seen in particular for women, while could be eroded, could be stalled as a panemic era lifeline.
Speaker 6: To daycare providers expires, with more than.
Speaker 2: Seventy thousand childcare programs estimated to be in danger of closing. Joining US now to discuss look whether technology can.
Speaker 6: Off set this setback.
Speaker 2: Alan of Ekowitz is a general partner at Spring Bank, which invests in early stage companies building look infrastructure to enable working women and families to succeed and ultimately, can technology be any sort of solution in this scenario. It seems like a terrible scenario at that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so it's not a great scenario. It's pretty bad timing. We're here at the start of the school year. Against most expectations, the percentage of moms of young children in the workforce is actually higher than ever having recovered post pandemic, which has huge consequences for women's lifetime earnings and career trajectories. But as you just meant it, mention, we're about to lose twenty four billion dollars in stimulus, which might put three hundred children's childcare slots it.
Speaker 7: At risk, and of course put it risk the.
Speaker 10: Ability for all of these women to continue to participate in the workforce. And to be really clear, of course, this isn't just a mom issue. It's an economy issue.
Speaker 6: It's an inviolent issue.
Speaker 2: And you say, rightly, so it's an impact on GDP, on earnings. What about though anyways that in companies you invest in can be some sort of support amid perhaps slowing money funds coming towards these childcad.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so you know, of course, innovation can't replace infrastructure and public policy, it can augment. So technology and startup solutions can't print money. But there's a lot that we can do to make it easier for families to find access, VET and pay for childcare, and of course for care businesses themselves, which are often pretty small mom and pop operations, to run more efficiently and effectively. So maybe I'll give one example from our portfolio, and also happy to talk more broadly about areas where we think technology can make a really big impact. But we're investors in a wonderful company called Wealthy, which combines digital tools, AI and world class human expertise to basically serve as a care coordinator for the employees of some of the US's largest employers like best Buy, Cisco, Hilton, and basically they match families with care professionals, automate workflows, automate workfloads to get tasks done faster while they're looking for a home healthcare aid, pure aging mother, or backup childcare for your kids so you don't have to miss work. So that's just one example in our own portfolio. But you know, we think beyond backup care and childcare specifically, there's a lot of opportunities for technology to improve the overall care economy, ranging from you know, first it can make hopefully care jobs better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dare I say artificial intelligence in that sentence?
Speaker 10: Listen if we're if we don't talk about AI, are we even doing a technology show right now? Surely you know we know that, for instance, healthcare worker burnout is an enormous problem in the industry across the care co I mean, there's one point eight million vacancy US right now, and for instance, things like automation or AI supported charting and documentation could cut that work dramatically, giving people time back in their schedules, hopefully improving some of the burnout crisis. So that's you know, that's just sort of one one area. You know, I think there's also a lot of room to use innovation and technology actually even make care more affordable. One of the things we hear from providers is that even with government subsites in place, it can take beats or months or those childcare payments from the government to be sent to providers. And these are often low margin businesses that are kind of operating months to months because of the operational complexity and collecting that data. And there's a lot of room for sort of modernized financial rails and technology to move that flow.
Speaker 4: Alana, the fear is that the tap of stimulus money just just closes abruptly right later in the year. But the problem of the last twelve months has been actually getting money to people. And I wondered how closely you're tracking sort of the fintech solution that brings government infrastructure into the twenty first century.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So, you know, I think there's a lot we can do to improve the rails on how money flows between careers and receivers, also insurance companies, employers, and the government. We've actually been seen a decent amount of startup activity in this space, even outside of care whether it's trying to make it easier to access government benefits like food stamps through companies like Propel, companies like Promise Pay that make it easier for folks to make payments to the government and interact with government services.
Speaker 1: And I think there's a lot of room you know.
Speaker 10: Look, we're all used to being able to do basically anything from our phone, right to do our job, find out hotel, do everything else. And I think that there's a real push to sort of modernizing the government experiences into our daily lives.
Speaker 2: Alana Bakowitz from that collective, we thank you for joining us on what is a pretty dramatic childcare cliff.
Speaker 6: This is really much.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to blue though technology. Ed Lovelow here in San Francisco and Caroline heard in New.
Speaker 2: York and Ed, let's get to what is a geopolitical picture, a macro picture that just questions time and time again, canon as that can technology stocks outperform, managed to continue to gain when we're seeing rates on the higher side, when you're seeing you for a little, contensions build between the US and China, and ultimately when we start to question valuations.
Speaker 6: Today is another day of.
Speaker 2: Losses on the n as that big tech really feeling the brunt of some sentiment souring and also economic data slowing in Europe, also slowing in China. I shine a light on what's happening to the yarn that trades offshore.
Speaker 6: It's actually at a sixteen year low. The US STORER has been outperforming because.
Speaker 2: This economy seems to still be managing to weather the storms that are being felt elsewhere. I'm looking a what's happening in a two year yields actually getting a bed after we've sold off.
Speaker 6: It's back below five percent.
Speaker 2: But nevertheless, this focus on the federal reserve and what it does to curtail inflation and very resilient jobs market, which we've got in the jobs jobless claims data a little bit earlier today. Yet more evidence of that going to some of the individual names. Because we know the story of the day is basically a tech one.
Speaker 6: It is that of Apple.
Speaker 2: It is of course the concern that China will be pushing back on allowing its own employees, government employees from buying Apple iPhones. And what does that mean in terms of a consumer pushback? Apple under pressure off by more than three percent. We've seen, of course, watching ondred billion dollars in terms of market value falling over the last couple of days. Was seeing Qualcom suppliers really.
Speaker 6: Feeling the pain. Actually we go to SPLC.
Speaker 2: It's a supply chain that you can see on the Bloomberg Qualcom kind of getting twenty two percent of its revenue from Apple, a key supplier, and we're looking at T Mobile though I wanted to give a little bit of row of green today T Mobile actually giving money back. We learned that yesterday dividends they're going to be buying back shares, and of course that's always music to an investor base. Is here also some bi reports saying that look the Apple iPhone fifteen, that's going to help the likes of T Mobile.
Speaker 4: H Yeah, I'm not doing much to put green on the screen today. Let's get back to that top story in the world of technology, China planning to expand a bag on the use of iPhones for government backed agencies and state companies that according to Bloomberg's sources, this all happening in Apple's biggest individual, foreign market and global production based. Apple as well as the relevant Chinese agencies, did not respond to requests for comment on the Bloomberg story.
Speaker 3: Joining us now Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Kdie lines out of DC and quickly this is becoming a tit for Tat twenty four hours ago, the journal report on some government agencies Bloomberg reporting more it follows the Gina Ramondo trip to China.
Speaker 11: It does the Commerce Secretary made a trip to Beijing, of course, just last weekend, she following Secretary Jennet Yellen, the Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln.
Speaker 6: The climate on Boijeon.
Speaker 11: Kerry as well, all an effort to shore up the relationship between the largest economy in the world and the second largest economy in the world. In Ramondo specifically trying to ease the path of US businesses doing China. She talked a lot while in China about the uncertainty of operating in that market, given headlines like what we they are seeing take place with Apple, the idea that a ban on iPhone would expand from sensitive departments too, as you say, a government backed agencies state on enterprises. It's not clear based on our reporting, how many companies or agencies could eventually adopt these restrictions, but obviously a massive risk to a company like Apple who is so dependent on China. A from a supply chain perspective, a lot of iPhones in the first place are made in China in factories they're employing Chinese people. But also from a revenue perspective, this is a market that made up about a fit of their revenue in the latest quarter.
Speaker 2: You put that context so perfectly, Katie. But also the context is that this is a building concern not only from competition. We think of Huawei and its latest phone, reveal what that does for Chinese sales for Apple, but also what that means for the relationship when we're thinking of Huawei and its access to chips that the US is trying to prevent them getting. Can you just give us any update to what stake Sullivan and the like of implementing on that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is a very prevalent topic of conversation here in Washington now, because, of course, it was just last week that Huawei announced its smartphone that it had really said was a triumph against US sanctions because it was made using Chinese made chips from SMIC. So in theory, what China is saying is that they were able to get around sanctions, do this in spite of sanctions. What we're hearing from authorities here in the US on Capitol Hill, for example, though, is that this we have actually been done in violation of sanctions. Congressman Michael McCall, who of course is a Republican he chairs the House Foreign Affairs Committee, was speaking overnight saying that smi C may require an investigation because he thinks it's obvious the company violated sanctions by supplying components to Huawei, and of course this is a company that's on the entity list here in the US for national security concerns, and that's been echoed by others as well. Mike Gallagher, who chairs the China Select Committee in the House, also was saying that the US may need to look at a ban or an ending of all experts to both experts, rather to both Huawei and SMI C. It is this idea of national security risk on the part of the U s US being paramount and more restrictions potentially being looked at as a result of that, so as Ed was saying at the very beginning, it is this kind of tit for tat idea. The US moves to restrict one thing, China moves to restrict another, and it seems like this is just the pattern that we are in at this point.
Speaker 4: Cara and Kaylee to appoint that Kaye made a minute ago. City Groups put a note out since we've gone on air basically saying what Kaylee did that we don't know how many companies or government agencies or people in them using iPhones, But it's probably the case that they were already transitioning away from iPhone anyway, so it might have limited impact. I guess that that note, Kaylee speaks to the point that relations between the US and China, in spite of Ramondo's visit, are still not good, right.
Speaker 3: We're not in a good place right now.
Speaker 11: No, absolutely not. And this is the tricky dance. On the one hand, you are trying geopolitically to make sure that the relationship is more stable or at least the two sides are talking. On the other hand, to protect national security interests or economic interests or otherwise. You also are seeing very targeted action that works in theory against China's interests, things like the executive order on outbound investment into certain areas of technology like quantum computing, artificial intelligence, semiconductors. It makes it very difficult for countries to interact with China, to engage with China, but also clearly for companies themselves to figure out how exactly to navigate this market. And to the point of the City Group note you were just talking about their ed this is the idea that it may not just be necessarily about iPhone sales, but more broadly about the environment and the uncertainty around.
Speaker 2: It and no wonder Therefore, in videos down you're seeing the likes of Tesla down other companies with big exposure to China, and I just think of the rm IPO that's coming as well. Kaeline's brilliant to break it down from a Washington perspectively. Thank you, let's just shift gears. But it's probably also home that Washington hasn't Zion because Crypto is where we're going next. But it's an update on the FTX case. Former executive Ryan Salem is planning to plead Gill to criminal charges over the collapse of FTX. According to sources, now Sellon was a co chief executive of FTX is Bahamas subsidiary before the exchange basically imploded last November. Le's for again, someone who's been all across it the Mootionnali Basse for more and perhaps given the other key executives before, this isn't too much of a surprise.
Speaker 12: One thing that is potentially different here is whether or not he will cooperate. That has not been ascertained yet. According to this scoop by our own EVA, Benny Morrison, who has really been reporting on Ryan Salem's role in this for many months now. Remember when the initial issue had come to the fore in the Bahamas, it was Ryan Salem himself who had really brought the case to Bhaman officials very specifically that customer funds may have been coll mingled.
Speaker 6: And so to come.
Speaker 12: Back around in this fashion is quite interesting because even though he may plead guilty to certain charges criminal charges, it's not clear what his level.
Speaker 6: Of cooperation will be.
Speaker 4: Well, the timing is interesting and Beau because Sam Bankman freed himself, I think, is scheduled to stand trial one month from now. You know, does that contribute to that court case?
Speaker 6: It certainly could.
Speaker 12: And remember the other folks at Alameda and FTX who have already come forward, they are cooperating, and so we know that whether or not he does testify, it definitely adds another element to this trial. Remember, I just kind of want to talk about their relationship for a moment here, because I had a lot of my own reporting around it. I had interviewed actually both men right before the collapse of FTX. I spoke to Ryan Salem just a week or so before. The interesting thing about both Ryan and Sam Bankman Fried here is they were not always in the same place. Ryan was back and forth between the DC suburbs and Bahamas. When I spoke to the people around them, I was always told that they kind of kept separately. You had Ryan Salem really donating to the tune of twenty four million dollars to Republican candidates, when Sam Bangman Free was donating to tens of millions to Democratic candidates. They seem to have some pivotal differences. So Ryan Salem's role in all of this is certainly interesting leading up to this trial, though still very early to tell exactly what that.
Speaker 2: Would be interesting those political donations, you remind us for us withdrawer, they withdrew the campaign finance law issues being alleged these particular men Ryn.
Speaker 3: Part of this.
Speaker 12: Issue here also was how the money was used to the point you're making, and the campaign dance violations was a definite worry here until those violations were withdrawn. But remember that they still are a big question mark about the role of cryptocurrencies in Washington and why these senators had taken the money in.
Speaker 6: The first place.
Speaker 12: What was ultimate motive I'm going back to our initial reporting because remember it was not a little bit of money. Both of these men were donating almost more than anybody else in the most recent cycle. And I'm just going back and looking to remember here, Ryan Salem, there were some pro crypto, very clearly pro crypto candidates that he was giving to make no bones about it. Remember when Sam was giving, he mostly said that this was a matter of pandemic preparedness and altruism, effective altruism, but not a matter as Ryan had said more explicitly about crypto. Ryan had also had donated to you very plainly here.
Speaker 6: A lot of.
Speaker 12: Candidates were ties to Donald Trump. They had different rationales for why they gave, and so it's kind of hard to tell at this point what the motive was.
Speaker 4: Bloomboag Snali B's sick such deep reporting on what has been an endless saga. When you'll be back for more, Thank you very much. Okay, I'm next coming up on Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 3: Keep on Trucking.
Speaker 4: The founders of the former self driving unit of Ford and Volkswagen are back and they're launching a new autonomous trucking startup. The co founder and CEO Brian Seleski joins us next in an exclusive interview.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: The founders of r Go AI, the autonomous vehicle company that was shut down last year, are back and they're at it again with a new self driving business, this time focused on autonomous trucking rather than consumer cars. It's called Stack AV, and it's backed by none other than SoftBank. One Pittsburgh official told Bloomberg he expects SoftBank's commitment to Stack to be more than one billion US dollars. Let's bring in Stack AV co founder and CEO Brian Celeski for more on his new venture.
Speaker 3: In an exclusive conversation.
Speaker 4: Brian, just start by explaining what you're doing with Stack AV, what the technology is, and what the end goal is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great to be here.
Speaker 13: Well, as you said, we're announcing the formation of our new self driving startup called stack We're building fully autonomous class eight trucks and we're looking to solve really some of the biggest issues that the trucking industry faces, whether it be driver shortages, retention, issues, over the road, safety, and just the inefficiencies that we saw in the supply.
Speaker 1: Chain during the pandemic.
Speaker 13: We really think self driving trucks has a huge opportunity here to solve some of those issues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Brian, you're coming out of stealth, and whether it's with more than a billion dollars or not, you've kind of moved very quickly to grow. Where will you need to spend Like, talk to me about the talent costs, the compute costs.
Speaker 3: In your project.
Speaker 13: Well, our priority is to build a great company that can really scale and move fast and realize those benefits. You know, there's the number of people like it's required to build this technology is enormous. The capital needs are obviously large, but our priority is to build that fantastic team and to really get the technology deployed as quickly as we can and get test vehicles up and running. We are a new company, but we have been moving quickly and just excited about the team that we built.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Brian, you've always looked more holistically at autonomous technology. This is a very specific technology and use case. It's very similar to what Aurora is doing, and so I just wondered why you sense this was the best way of commercializing.
Speaker 13: Well, you know, we think that the business model is really interesting. The cost of goods have really to ship goods has really increased substantially. We know a lot of small businesses are feeling the pain times to deliver our increasing across the industry, especially in larger markets. So we just think that autonomous trucking has the ability to address a lot of those inefficiencies. And it just it isn't just in the autonomous part of it, the self driving aspect of it. It's also in the scheduling and the overall logistics, the way the system works. There's just a lot of opportunity for improvement. And we think not just taking the benefits of AI, but also the benefits of generative AI, and a lot of the latest advancements that we've seen over the last year we think can really be applied to the entire logistics equation.
Speaker 6: So, Brian, does that speed up things?
Speaker 2: Because ultimately the Ford VW backing became impatient.
Speaker 6: I think it was.
Speaker 2: Quoted that one Ford executive said it was easier to put a man on the moon than it was to get autonomous driving really up and running. Did you just need a different mindset of length of time to commit capital here?
Speaker 1: Well, I think this requires patient, long term capital. It requires.
Speaker 13: And it certainly requires a big vision in order to make this happen. But at the end of the day, we want to improve people's lives. We want to we want to improve the overall cost structure in that entire supply chain. Then the only way we're going to do that is by making big changes to how it works right, and that means anytime you're working on sort of a world scale problem, that means that you have to really you have to really work in the details, and you have to take a big vision and try to make it a reality. That takes capital, it takes time, and I think what you're seeing in the field in general is that you know, different companies are sort of playing to their strengths and how they feel they can be most successful and adapt their business. What's unique and exciting about this is that soft Bank has a large commitment to AI in general. They believe in the power that AI has in transforming our everyday lives and making it better.
Speaker 1: And that's where stackav comes out of.
Speaker 13: Is doing that, doing that and applying it to applying it to try it.
Speaker 4: Yes, Brian SoftBank said, they're not just backing you with capital, but also with AI competence as well. Could you just explain that, is that your point of differentiation here your access to software and talent.
Speaker 13: Well, we have access to the entire SoftBank group, the entire team. They've been wonderful and giving us such a huge lift and getting the company started. They see a lot in terms of business models and what works and what doesn't. We've seen a lot our team in terms of what works and doesn't and to be able to see around the corners with the.
Speaker 1: How to build the technology.
Speaker 13: And so at the end of the day, putting those two brains, if you will, together, we think we have a really differentiated story and in a very compelling team that can win here.
Speaker 6: And well that's happening.
Speaker 2: Stack av co founder and CEO Ran Celeski brilliant to have you.
Speaker 6: We thank you.
Speaker 4: AI startup in View, the company formerly known as Generally Intelligent. It has just raised two hundred million dollars Series B an evaluation of over one billion dollars. Joining us now on set is kenjun Q, CEO of MBU. You also secure ten than h one hundreds and that's become like the badge of honor for people building a foundation model. So what was more important the cash or the compute.
Speaker 14: Both honestly, so cash is much easier to come by than compute, and we managed to get our compute quite early because we saw this coming and so we're very excited to have both.
Speaker 3: Was that the structure of the deal?
Speaker 4: I have to ask the videos one of your back is a Nvidia's book back to many Did they just participate in the round or was their payment in chips?
Speaker 3: If you see what I.
Speaker 4: Mean, No, it's all cash, well cash and is a quick follow on what are you building? I mean, we know a few companies building one hundred billion parameter to foundation models, that's right.
Speaker 14: So we're really focused on AI agents, which are systems that can take action in the world and help us as people accomplish much larger goals. So today's AI systems they generate an output, but they're not going to go off and do a bunch of research if you're writing an essay and come back and restructure the argument and think through and reason through what's happened. And so we build systems optimized for reasoning so that we can end up with AI that can actually help us do you know what we say? What we want and not just what we say.
Speaker 2: What's amazing, Candrin is two hundred million for a bold focus on AI agents that people actually haven't been able.
Speaker 6: To play with or see your touch. Maybe one of your key backers has.
Speaker 2: But I'm interested as to how far down the road you are in terms of development from real perspective.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's a great question. I think it's always hard to tell. We are quite excited over the next couple of years to hopefully have things that people can use. It might be sooner, it might be later.
Speaker 6: I think, you know, just.
Speaker 14: Like how Apple for Apple iPhone was under development for ten years before it came out, It's not going to be ten years. But there is a right time for technology to be taken to market, and there is a such thing as bringing it to market too early. So we really believe in serious use, seriously using these systems ourselves internally every single day and having some beta users that are using them every day. And that's what teaches us, Okay, this is good enough, this is not good enough. We need to improve the reasoning models in these ways.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting the previous founders that was just talking about the need for patient capital and looking at your cap table, it kind of looks similar.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's not a normal.
Speaker 2: Cap table in terms of VC money because in fact it's the Astera Institute and actually kind of a not for profit.
Speaker 6: You've got in video, you got cruise.
Speaker 2: Are they behind you in the idea that this is going to take some time?
Speaker 14: They are, and that's actually what we were looking for in this round. I think something that's important to remember is that open Ai didn't ship chat GBT until five six years after they were founded, and it's whenever we're building a really deep technology technological breakthrough like this that run time is necessary.
Speaker 4: Kenja, can you tell me a little bit about your business and company. Are you highly concentrated in San Francisco? Are all of your talented engineers here and if so, why San Francisco.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's a great question. We are primarily based in San Francisco in person in the office every day, and we do have some remote team members, remote engineers. We structure it as a kind of hub and spoke model where the collaborative hub is optimized for collaboration in San Francisco and remote team members are optimized for autonomy because that's often what we want remotely. San Francisco is just a great technology hub. You know. We host lots of events this Thursday Nights in AI series and meet a lot of people here, have a lot of potential customers here, so it's a good place to be.
Speaker 6: A decade in the making.
Speaker 2: You are building what the archive then that group house of like minded thinkers and builders and still focused on the SF beat. Really overall, we thank you in bu Ceo, Candre and Q joining us.
Speaker 6: What amazing show. But that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't forget.
Speaker 4: You can recap on our podcast wherever you get yours, Apple, Spotify, iHeart, and on Bloomberg from here in SF and New York.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Technology