Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio, I.
Speaker 2: Don't Jamappelle, Leanna Holston and I'm Sienna Jacob and Bionvenue to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the American Film Institutes one hundred Greatest American Movies of all time, the very slightly less racist tenth anniversary edition and are now following our bliss.
Speaker 1: We really are. This podcast is a safe kitchen for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Rata Tuey.
Speaker 2: What are you eating? I don't really know that.
Speaker 1: We decided we should watch shortly after the American election. We said, maybe we should watch rat of Touey.
Speaker 2: And you have much we love for food and film.
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Really came about.
Speaker 1: Warning there will be spoilers about this ratty old film slash recent I don't know. Yeah, well, shall we start with our predictions?
Speaker 2: I think we shall.
Speaker 1: Let's do yours. Who's that?
Speaker 2: Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch Rata Tooey. I have not seen this film in arguably over a decade, but I predict delish food, a bunch of rats and France.
Speaker 1: Yep. Love you by. I love that. I heard a little right before the thing starts.
Speaker 2: My h my boy friend, No, I'm kidding. That was actually a friend of the pod. He was saying because we watched it together and he was I. I was like, oh, I have to go record my prediction. He was like, oh, it's so exciting to see how the sausage gets made. So what you're is the tail end of the word mad, and so in the middle of his yeah, I'm like walking away. Actually he's talking, I'm like, yeah, okay, bye, I got to do this.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's listen to my prediction, shall we?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Hi, Leanna, this is sing I'm about to watch Rata twee.
Speaker 2: Is a retainer recording I took out and I took out one of them just for you number of times, not the bottle, that little rat cook.
Speaker 1: I thought it would be enough.
Speaker 2: I hope it gets to the to the part at the restaurant. It's not too stressful. But I know.
Speaker 1: The idea of watching food right now sounds pretty great.
Speaker 2: I'll see you on the other side.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, i'd woken up seconds before.
Speaker 2: You sound like Santa flying away in this said bye bye bye, Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm glad we watched this film. I also hadn't seen it in about a decade. Yeah, I must say I remember it. I must say I was shocked by how well I remembered it. I remembered most of the lines in the film. Really, I And then I was like, why do I remember this and none of my childhood? Why is my brain holding onto the dialogue from Ratitui but not like any of my school years? Yeah? Well, what we're well, no, I guess we'll have to wait to hear what kind of lines you remembered?
Speaker 2: Not right?
Speaker 1: But before then, Hey girl, Hey.
Speaker 2: Girl, Hey girl, are you done with that play? Are you alive?
Speaker 1: I am done with the play? Oh I am This is my first weekend off? Yes, uh, so much and so little has happened this last week. We got a second fridge. I napped a lot.
Speaker 2: Wait, what do you have a garage fridge?
Speaker 1: Now? No, we have like a second It's sort of like a medium fridge. It's kind of like a mini fridge but a little bit taller. And okay, I got one because we I live with four other people. And yeah, I've been overflowing. We've been talking about getting a fridge for so long and we finally get it's big news in my household, so we have space for all the sauces, and now I'm gonna be able to buy juice. You could have a.
Speaker 2: Fridge warming party, Oh my gosh, that's a great idea thank you, or like a baptism of your new fridge, or a christening genius you'd like break a bottle of champagne against it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, last night I was celebrating being done with the show and my friends went to karaoke. But I kind of I ruined my own night. It's okay, it could have been a lot. It's honestly fine. It's just one of those things where I'm like, oh, I guess that was an l because I put on a really cute outfit and then like I didn't even go out long enough to get a picture of an outfit of my outfit. You know, it's like, why did they even do this? We went to carry and then I just was like, I'm I'm tired, I need to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes it's not the night for karaoke.
Speaker 1: Yep. Unfortunately that's what happened. But I'm glad everyone had a great time. I'm glad I went for how long I did, but it is kind of like, huh, I guess that was an l that I took. But now I have a cute off at thenegm wore. It's kind of Christmasy, so I'll wear for future Christmas things.
Speaker 2: Oh perfect, And.
Speaker 1: I was happy to have my first weekend off from this show. Yeah, my skin thanks me because I was kind of trudging around in stage water all the time. Anyways, speaking of stage, Leonna, how hey girl, and how is the One Moment show going? Are you mounting it this week?
Speaker 2: Yes? It is. Holy shit, it will be uh whatever. Twenty four times four plus two is hours away? Okay, great, that is how many hours away it is? Start the clock, let's do that count? Ninety six plus oh my god, ninety eight hours. Yeah, in under ninety eight hours, I will be mounting a one woman show. Wow, less than one hundred hours from now. I am mounting a one woman show.
Speaker 1: Yep. You know.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things where I'm just like, Okay, well that's it's happening. It's against my will, and time is beating my ass, and whatever goes on out there is almost it's almost none of my business.
Speaker 1: At this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately, it's entirely my business and it's my career and my immigration status as well. But the stakes are just so high for it that I've I've shut down, like I've I don't have thoughts around it at press time totally, but a week when we do, when we next do this podcast, it will have happened. That's crazy, that is crazy. I'm excited for it. I'm proud of you. Thanks.
Speaker 1: I want to ask so much, but out of respect for you, I think I won't thanks unless you are.
Speaker 2: Unless that's okay with you. Do you know you're welcome to ask. It's likely I just won't have answers, Yeah, but ask away.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just curious. Are you adding any new material in there? Is it mainly that all the just stand up you've been doing since you've been here? Have you been like, shit, I need to fill twenty minutes. I'm going to do some character work or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm actually doing thirty minutes of Comedia del lte traditional Italian clown with masks. No, it's pretty much all the stand up I've ever done. What I need to write is transitions between the sets to somehow link things together, and then the new stuff is like an intro to the show about why it's happening and what it is and who I am.
Speaker 1: I have some sort of inclusion. Yeah, since the good thing that you really have to go off of here is that you have You're expressing that you've had to create the show within a month, and if you need to come up with some transition, you could say, well, I've had to make the show in a month, and so the transitions are going to be me doing a piece of Irish.
Speaker 2: Dance in between. I genuinely thought about I had an apology dance.
Speaker 1: Every single every single skill I've ever learned in my whole life has to go and juggle at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh. It takes me like four minutes to get into it, and then I can juggle for like twenty seconds. I have to do several minutes of practice tosses and that I can maintain a juggle for about twenty seconds. But anything to fill time, you know, Yeah, well I will do every skill on my CV.
Speaker 1: You should do that. Yeah, hey girl, anything else going on, I'm assuming that's most of it.
Speaker 2: That's that's the big thing. I feel like my life ends this week and I will be reborn. This is coming. I think I'm going to get a facial in celebration. That's the last time I got a facial. She was so mean to me. Yeah, crazy things happened. He just got insulted. So I don't know I have offense about that.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm in a similar place where I'm like time to be reborn. But I gotta say now, I've just been.
Speaker 2: Saying, yeah, we both need to be reborn quite soon. Yeah, I need something something, Maybe I'll get a massage. Maybe, But I got insulted the last time I got a massage. To know, she was like it took ninety minutes for your muscles to even start to relax. And I said, I'm sorry, thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of being apologetic as oh yeah, yes, move on to talking about the film.
Speaker 2: Perhaps I a synopsis? Oh silvu play Sienna? Could you please give us a synopsis of Ratitui?
Speaker 1: Yes, I shall do my best. I started writing it and then I went, WHOA, I forgot Pixar movies have so many parts.
Speaker 2: I yeah, and you message, you said, I'm writing an unexpectedly complex synopsis and I'm intrigued because to me it's, you know, rat cooks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly I probably could have just said that, but ratitui Paris, France an unclear year, maybe the seventies.
Speaker 2: Thank you for saying that, well, not that part, but yes, thank you for okay.
Speaker 1: Remy the rat is a rat with a particularly distinguished sense of smell and taste. He wants to cook, and he looks up to the famous chef Gusto. He loves food and cooking, but alas he is a mangy rat. Meanwhile, Linguini is a gauky, red haired loser working as a garbage boy at the late Gusta's fancy restaurant. Through a series of action packed and endearingly pix our events, Linguini and Remy meat discovering that Remy is an amazing cook and Linguini is a perfect vessel, which is where we famously see Remy that Remy can tug on Linguini's hair and wield him as a cooking puppet. They take the Nope, they take the Paris culinary scene by storm and put Gustau's restaurant back on the map. Linguini tries some other things that happened. Our Linguini tries to hide his rat secret. Remy has family stuff and rat identity complexes to deal with. There's a girl named Collette who's there. Evil chef Skinner is trying to catch the rat and catch Linguini is colluding. Is that what word? Is colluding with the rat? Uh? And also Linguini turns out to be Gusta's son. The rats go all the rat colonies, starts going on a stealing food spree, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, And in the end the restaurant Wow's a food critic named anton Ego with a simple ratituy dish, and everyone lives happily ever after in their way, even though Gusta's gets shut down because of all the rats in it. Yay the and.
Speaker 2: Sianna, thank you for that. The most thorough summary I've ever heard you give. That was detailed, everything felt important.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, it was like, well, I mean, I guess it's also important to note that he is the son of Gusta, But something about that, I'm like, Pixar, what go for it?
Speaker 2: I know there is still not going on.
Speaker 1: You are right, mainly a rat cooks and he is on the head of a man. Mm hmmm, well, Leanna, shall we get the heck into our phone notes because we have a heart out today.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's get the heck in there. This is our segment entitled phone notes, where we read the notes the other person took on their phone while watching the film. Ah see, you know, your first two notes are okay, I forgot. Oh no, your first four notes are oh, I love Emial, I love food. Okay, I forgot. This movie is really good, not a gun.
Speaker 1: That was my entire first feelings on the movie. You're like, oh my gosh, there is delicious food here, all the vibes. It's just really well paced. It's it's just a very fun movie, fun cuts, fun everything. Emil, his brother love love.
Speaker 2: Round so round in.
Speaker 1: Such a sweetie, such a cutie. Yeah, so funny and h Then they start stealing food from the house of this old lady and she takes out a shotgun and really tries to shoot them.
Speaker 2: She goes after them, she gets to keep bullet suing them. She's wearing a gas mask. She tries to.
Speaker 1: Gas them down the river. It's crazy. Whoa If you'll excuse me, okay, the little podcast producer in my head is it looks it looks like they're hungry. Whoa. But nothing to be suspicious of about whoa. I'll be right back. Leona. Your first note is French national anthem.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's uh whatever the music term is for clips from the national anthem in the opening score of what is the French national anthem again alone de la patritte? Oh, it's the one at the beginning of Lati Honey.
Speaker 1: Is the one at the beginning of the Beatles song Yeah, Yeah, Love Love Love, We're just gonna.
Speaker 2: Ok yeah? Which is in love?
Speaker 1: How thing you can do? The campy don nothing? You can sing the campus sound?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm starting to understand how you feel when I write yeah, you're.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, okay, can't speak yet.
Speaker 2: Move on? Is she gonna do the whole song?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: My first glimpse of empathy.
Speaker 2: Ah, baby's first empathy.
Speaker 1: Leona, You said Saffron, This rat is fancy.
Speaker 2: He was sniffing around the old violent Ladies home for specifically Saffron, the violent woman. Yes, that violent woman.
Speaker 1: Did he find it? I forget? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was Italian Saffron. Wow. Wait, can I ask you. Yeah, this is a film basically about puppetry.
Speaker 1: It kind of is. I also experienced that. I experienced that watching at this time, I went, wow, he is a puppeteer. Yeah, he is puppeteering this young man.
Speaker 2: Did this change your viewing having a puppeteer lens?
Speaker 1: It was different this time, Yes, I went wow. This is also referencing the uh, the France's long relationship with the marionette.
Speaker 2: Now a net oh okay.
Speaker 1: That's apparently their word for puppet. Altogether, I believe that, but I think that they're a big one in the the history of that, so it probably is sort of a reference. They know, these big ones, these cartoon guys of that. These cartoon guys are always referencing stuff, referencing all sorts of images and like friends, really the food whatever, the mello Leona you have said, this is your type actually about all free of my.
Speaker 2: God, I was so offended. Actually saw this like a spindly man. But he seems a little bit too low because you love blond guys. Who is a tall and haunted boy with a bit of substance to him. You like him hold onto something that are slown away in a hurricane.
Speaker 1: I disagree you.
Speaker 2: I disagree with your disagreement.
Speaker 1: Certain cartoonish shapes that are spindly. You will, you will forgive in ways that others won't. But I understand that the emotion behind it is very specific.
Speaker 2: M This one was certainly too bumbling. Yeah, for my taste.
Speaker 1: He's not. He doesn't have the confidence that comes with absolute distress.
Speaker 2: Having served in the war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, having seen things. He's seen nothing. The whole point, he's seen nothing. He's an idiot, Leanna.
Speaker 2: You've also said I'm upset that you didn't didn't completely disagree with.
Speaker 1: Actually, I understand where actually is coming from, and I also completely understand how he's not at all your type.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Okay, but unfortunately he is the shape of your type. Leon changed so much about myself. Yeah, you've said, what a rat seasoning your soup? And you wrote Linguini nervously throwing spices into a pot is me trying to make dinner. This is the scene where Remy decides to try to fix the soup that Linguini has colonized.
Speaker 1: My. I.
Speaker 2: I love that imagery of you, and I just was like, imagine you are in your home, you are preparing a dish. You'd step away for a moment, and you come back to see at the corner of your pot a rat having the time of It's like, no, no, no, this is wrong. The rat makes direct eye contact with you, and let's go of a handful of herbs that go into your soup.
Speaker 1: What would you do? What would you do? Yeah, if a rat is I wonder how long it would take for me too, I kind of fast. I feel like you wouldn't notice it. I certainly wouldn't. It's I certainly wouldn't. There's a lot I don't notice for a long time. It concerns me.
Speaker 2: Do you ever have a delicious meal that you didn't expect to be that delicious?
Speaker 1: Huh? You mentioned it? Where I go somebody, it feels like something added some seasonings in here. Someone seasoned this, almost as if I have sort of a guardian angel of sorts. That's very small. Also, can one someone's pause we're in this, Can we talk about also how we always think about how there's a rat controlling that man in ratitue, but we don't think about how there is a ghost influencing the rat who is controlling the man.
Speaker 2: I forgot it's just Remy's imagination.
Speaker 1: But I forgot how omnipresent he is, how consistently he is there at the conscience. But I thought he likes or twice, But he's there, really is the whole time being like, do it, do it?
Speaker 2: Doing gogle, He's either going do it or don't do that.
Speaker 1: Don't do that? Come on, come are they're both being puppeteered.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's an interesting analysis. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's some notes from Leona. As the movie begins, you said, yes, Remy bite him. Yes, this is when they were doing their first before they'd figured out the hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you slapping at Remy and Remy bites him every time, I said, sleigh.
Speaker 1: Okay, Leoni, you've also said yeap. First of all, yep, yep, agreed. But before that, you said, the beginning of the end for this guy, demise imminent.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. The chef, the head chef of the restaurants, truly in a different film from everyone else in a horror film. He's being gas lit and haunted by the specter of a rat.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Later too, when the health inspector gets tied up in a bunch of rats storm like a wave. Yeah, they storm his car.
Speaker 2: I was like this January horror of his vehicle. It was nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a horror film as well. But yeah, the skinner chef Skinner, chef skinner. Yeah, he has to deal with a lot. Okay, Leoni, you've also said American man fails upward. Yes, this film is about a man failing upward. I'm sorry. I know we all end up happy for him too when he ends up taking over the restaurant. But this guy comes in, starts cooking well because the rat is able to control his arms, only learns how to do kitchen stuff correctly because a woman teaches him. Yeah, and then he just gets the restaurant because turns out he's the spawn of the owner literal nepo baby, terrible, terrible. I know that she ends up falling for him, but it would be really hard to be in the same kitchen as this man.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I hate him so much. Like the intern who are like the pa who gets the job because he's the son of Yeah, he's the war he's a Warner brother.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said it's fucked up to make the only woman in the kitchen train the man.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't like this dynamic at all.
Speaker 1: And then you've also said, yes, queen stab him.
Speaker 2: I was going that as well.
Speaker 1: This movie, I love it so much and it's from a wonderful time, but it does feel like I don't remember when this came out, but it felt like the Obama years where we were like everything is good, everything, we figured everything out, and we know we understand life. It's that, yeah, you need to understand people who are different than you as long as they're a rat who's exactly like a human, which is to say it's this person's exactly like us, but different in a way we can understand. It's very cute and accessible, non threatening, and then you know, like it just it just speaks to sort of the way the world was seen at the time, and so it's like the woman still has to do all the work. There's still a few racial moments where you go, wait, very very very slight ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Like certain positions that people are filling in the kitchen and those who are famous, it's like the white guy fails upward and then like the rat is the one other we can truly accept because we've created him and he's cute.
Speaker 2: They're like, anyone can cook, not women, but certainly thought, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: The woman actually doesn't really know what she's talking about. She keeps having these ideas, but the rat is right. And by the way, the rat is white.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the rat is paton Oswalt. So yeah, anyway, it really it really got my goat that she's taking Alfredo that and also that Remy and Alfredo are both American accents, Like why just do the lame is thing where the French people are English but a very inclassive, right, Yeah, and I guess Lanquini's supposed to be Italian.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know why they look like that. They made Linguini whatever they wanted, and then they were like, oh, he's also going to be the son of this guy, and we'll just say there's no resembl and also will make him Italian. So his name is Linguini, Alfredo Linguini, even though he's just some guy from America, a random guy. He's guy from in your comedy class in America.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Siena, you wrote, imagine you keep seeing your least favorite coworker being secretive with a rat. This poor head chef is genuinely in a film. He's in gaslight.
Speaker 1: He's like, dude, I swear I saw you talking to a rat just a second ago.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: No one believes him. But like, what would you do? You imagine true, imagine your least favorite coworker, the most annoying person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gosh, I won't say anything.
Speaker 1: But the other day I was on a set with somebody who bothered me so much, and if I turned the corner and I saw this person plotting with a rat, scheming, scheming. Yeah, no one believes me. And also I'm like, are you kidding me? Of course, you're only here because you're friends with some rodent, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In a lot of ways, I do wish my body could be controlled by a rat, Like when I have to get ready for bed and I don't know, oh my god, could just scamper up and use my hair to go get me to brush my teeth and wash my face.
Speaker 1: This guy gets to go to work and literally turn on autopilot. He just sits there.
Speaker 2: And to me, this is the plot of Severance, a show I have not seen.
Speaker 1: It is kind of like that. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, I haven't seen Severance. But it sounds good. I mean, I've seen ratittuy, so you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, I've pretty much seen it. I've got it.
Speaker 1: Leanna, this is a great point. You said, sorry, they could do DNA testing in the fifties.
Speaker 2: What year?
Speaker 1: The year is confusing.
Speaker 2: It's cute the fifties, yeah, but then when but it's also still open tottle of wine. He says, it's a sixty one.
Speaker 1: It's so hard to tell in Oh yeah, m hm, great point. Okay, thank you, Well, that would be the thirty one. And then also and then they're doing DNA testing anytime things are in the in Europe, you go, well, maybe it's just European, right, especially like an American take on Europe. We're like, well, it's just charming. It's charming, right, the fifties. But then some of my type.
Speaker 2: Years ago, it could be European.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then they're the typewriter, and you're like, maybe European, old old money British. And I don't know when that Vespa's from, but the idea of this woman in the countryside being on a TV of that sort is like, that could literally be from any year. We don't know, because she's like an old one his code.
Speaker 2: In his apartment as well. Right, it's like maybe he's just got an old TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they get they keep it vague, they keep it.
Speaker 2: But the DNA testing was a bit I'm sorry, damning.
Speaker 1: Linguini does not exist in any year, but twenty ten. He has the vibe of a twenty ten loser. Yeah, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Who will be just fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leoni, you said my favorite meal bread cheese and red grapes. Do you like that?
Speaker 2: I love that?
Speaker 1: It is delightful.
Speaker 2: That's most of what my family eats. Really, we're kind of like a colony of rats in that way.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, I forgot to do something press record. I'm sorry, my no, no, but good question.
Speaker 2: My biggest fear.
Speaker 1: I I tried to include this photo, but I forgot to make sure that I got it onto the Google doc. Hold on one second.
Speaker 3: Oh ah, I laugh every time this happens.
Speaker 1: It's really fun.
Speaker 2: My god. Okay, So what Sienna has sent everyone is a still.
Speaker 1: Some of the frames of this movie are crazy.
Speaker 2: From the film, it's the scene in which all of the rats are in the kitchen. Remy is stealing for them, but Alfredo comes in to apologize to Remy, not being able to regulate his emotions. And Remy's brother Emil is hiding in a bouquet of asparagus, a band around his belly, and he keeps reaching out to swallow more grapes hole and then he falls off and a wheel of cheese lands on and every grape shoots out of him and pelts Alfredo in the back of.
Speaker 1: The Kelsey described it to me before we even watched it, and then it's exactly what happened as even though I'd say it, but he's like, yeah, there's that part of the movie that's sort of a climactic moment where Emial swallows a comical number of grapes and then a wheel of cheese falls on him and all the grapes shoot out of his mouth like a gun. That's silly. Photo is unbelievable. They really took a moment. Look at his little hands body, he's so full of grapes, covered in a halo of asparagus, and then a giant wheel of cheese. It's really quite when I make a mistake, I feel.
Speaker 2: Like a rat filled with grapes.
Speaker 1: Everyone's fallen off the shelves and it's a wheel of cheese has fallen on me, and I'm bringing disgrace onto my f.
Speaker 2: By shooting grapes out of my mouth at the back.
Speaker 1: Of a weak idiot. This picture is with a skirt of a spara. This picture is the the portrait of disgrace, A portrait of disgrace. You know, if they were to do another, if they were to do another inside out movie, this would be disgrace. I can't even look at it. Oh my god, he's so big. Pass he ate the most grapes, every grape in the kitchen anyway, So that's sort of your family cheese and red grapes.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that is how I feel when I've filled up on bread, cheese and red grapes before dinner, like at Christmas times. Because he's already round to begin with, and then he's filled with little round objects and the giant round object lands on him. Little round object shoot out of the medium round rat to hit the round head of the weak idiot. Oh, it's all I see when I close my eyes. Did you just turn around and a rat is seasoning your suit? Take a few minutes to stretch because you're about to be moving around a lot. We'll be right back Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yea Leanna who said anyone saying my documents sounds unhinged. I love that. Actually one of my documents a rat running off with your documents? Hey, rat stone document? What story my documents get that rat rat? He has my document?
Speaker 2: Just stop saying my documentary rattattoo.
Speaker 1: Remy the Ratitude.
Speaker 2: Is about to ask if you watched the TikTok musical The Radical, My dream My Dreams. I only know that part of that song. Of the rest of it, Okay, Rey the.
Speaker 1: Reatitude, we made the world remember your name?
Speaker 2: Are you sure?
Speaker 1: That's all I know. I'm I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're about to burst out with a remytitude.
Speaker 1: That's all I know. Siena.
Speaker 2: You wrote the Life of a Rat is a perilous one.
Speaker 1: That's what I kept thinking. I'm like, there make no good points about how this Life of a Rat, because it is one reason that this movie is very fun is that it is an action film, and it is necessarily an action film. What did you I was thinking about how as far as Pixar movies go, this one is really like, it's like running, he's running, he's running, He's he's he's swooping, he's avoiding. That's so much of it. Chase scene, multiple and guns. Yes, and it's because we understand that as a rat, he is in danger all the time. He's on the run. He is simply on the run because he is a rat.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Skinner, So Alfredo is in the film Ratitui Skinner is in the film Gaslight, and Remy is in the film The Bourne Ultimatum.
Speaker 1: Wait what happens in that?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just know it's an action film.
Speaker 1: Then, exactly, there are so many there are so many genres happening. We have French movie. We have French love story, which is that you're going with the wrong man. Want to shoot he want to shoot him, he want.
Speaker 2: To shoot at him, but you keep kissing him.
Speaker 1: We have action film Slash the Bourne. What is it again?
Speaker 2: It's it's a trilogy. Actually, so there's the Born Identity, the Born Ultimatum and one other the Born Documents. Oh yeah, do.
Speaker 1: I know that? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that's right.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that our rat is in an absolute horror film. Mm hmmm, psychological thriller, psychological horror for anyone else. Hanna you've said if I don't love it, I don't swallow, and then you've done I emoji.
Speaker 2: I could not believe that line made it in.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about it that way, but definitely many a tween boy seeing this film was not gonna want.
Speaker 2: That go only thing I thought about, if I don't love it, I don't swallow. He didn't even say swallow it. He said swallow.
Speaker 1: I was like, my dude, it's why he's so skinny.
Speaker 2: Yeah s guiney legend, Skuy legend, Guinea legend. Did you know? Do you know who voices him?
Speaker 1: No, Peter O'Toole, Petro toool, Oh, I guess Laurence.
Speaker 2: Is anton Ego.
Speaker 1: We've now seen him twice. Lorens of Arabia and star Dust Wait Star Yeah Dust, which was obviously not on AFI's list, but was.
Speaker 2: On Star.
Speaker 1: Dust.
Speaker 2: Patreon toon Peter O'Toole, great voice.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said rata tui it's a peasant dish okay.
Speaker 2: Collette is classiest. She was being a bit problematic here. Towards the end she goes to slap her partner. I was like, oh my god, you can slap.
Speaker 1: Them before, but now you're dating and that is domestic yikes.
Speaker 2: And then she's classist about ratatui. Uh huh No, I just don't trust her opinions. Yeah, I worry about her worldview.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's true, But you did.
Speaker 2: You made a good point here. You wrote, imagine the ick. You've been dating this guy for months and I just found out about his rat thing.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm sorry. You know that they've they've been dating long enough that they've had like nights of real like emotional intimacy and like discussing their past and his mom.
Speaker 2: He didn't know his controlling him during that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I never taught. She's like, you've been wearing your chef hat.
Speaker 2: All this time.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It's just like, this is a big part of your experience is that you have this whole rat thing going on, and you haven't talked to me about it. Like we've been talking about working here. You haven't been working. You've been just getting controlled by a magical rat. Yeah, by this gifted rodent.
Speaker 2: Leono.
Speaker 1: Your final note is makes me want to go to a yep, to a potisserie real bad. I would love some amazing bread right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it makes me want a hot dog real bad. I wanted to go to a potisserie so bad at the end of this because even the credits are stunding and there's one one sort of screen of them where it's just cakes.
Speaker 1: I want a delicious I want to put four four.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to honk and slice of cake. I really do. Mm hmm, well the honor.
Speaker 1: Should we move on to our next segment? Yeah, because I really can't wait to eat some bread. Oh.
Speaker 2: I love that. Oh I'm made here as anonymous bad oh. Oh, welcome everyone to Badges and Tragy is where we award badges for bread that looks delicious and tradges for taking your frustration out on your tiny adorable rat friend.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have a badge for I love a specific font.
Speaker 1: Oh. The style in this movie was great, really good. I have a badge for food, food, food, food, food. This is a food movie. This is a food movie, and it's big time, excellent, the whole time, huge food film.
Speaker 2: Badge for it. These rats are so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are really cute. I love the design of the rats as well. I have a badge for windows sitting. We even noted this during Paddington too, but he also has a little nook by the window where he gets to look at everything, and he sleeps on a little oven mid and then later.
Speaker 2: He that is something I love for the oven so much.
Speaker 1: Yes, having a life made of little thing plus food, it really makes this movie a movie for somebody like me.
Speaker 2: Who would you most want to be in the film? Ratitude? And is it the rat?
Speaker 1: I think so? Yeah, Yeah, I think it'd be remy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 2: Probably Linguini again, just to have somebody else controlling my movement? Okay, we can fully seed control, yield control. A badge for a skeleton outline when struck by lightning. I love I always think that's fun.
Speaker 1: Perfect bit uh badge for oh, like I was saying, the tiny items having a tiny world, like later when they're drinking out of a cute and when you go to the rat colony and they're like drinking out of toothpaste cap and stuff like that, and when all the rats get washed in the dishwasher and they're all fluffy when they come out.
Speaker 2: I freaking loved that. I love you so much. A badge for his little smile when he presents the omelet.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god, badge for here's one thing I didn't remember from the movie so well that I really really loved badge for the strong rat, the extra strong buff rat.
Speaker 2: Actually literally was like, why is that right hot? I said, no, I.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't say that. My perspective was that that rat was so hot.
Speaker 2: But no, I was that would be your type.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's burly for sure. When he's tenderizing the steak by punching.
Speaker 1: It, so funny. I laughed every time I saw him. He stands so funny.
Speaker 2: He's so big, he's so big, he's so big.
Speaker 1: He has an earring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was really funny. Badge for I love when he squeaks Whenever Remy was like bumped into something or somebody grabbed him or something, and he made a squeak sound.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so funny. So a squeaky toy.
Speaker 1: I guess my final badge, which is surprising but final specific badges At the end, ego has community. Now it's cute that it ends with like and the bad guy just needed a little community. He wasn't really a bad guy, but the scary guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, A badge for the score the music. Yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's just really really If I were to give another general badge, it would just be for how beautiful it was by the end when they're talking about they're just like having that dreamy sequence at the very end where Remy kind of goes his own way. It was so beautiful I almost started to cry, Oh, nighttime. A badge for the line keep your station clear or I will kill you. Great badge for I love the phrase hork it down. Yeah, can I tell you something eats it too fast? I say that a lot, and I didn't know it down so much. I didn't know it was a phrase.
Speaker 2: I knew it was from Raditui.
Speaker 1: That's specifically I also say honk it down. But I think I've been trying to say hork it down, hork it I didn't know hork it down perfect.
Speaker 2: A badge for Colette's delivery of the line what do you mean? She was like, just spit it out. What are you talking about? A badge for his little bed in the new apartment apartment. A badge for it this movie is fun. It is fun, fun because for a film, fun sequence. And then my final badge is a badge for I love that Remy washes his hands with a dew drop, so there's one little drop of water.
Speaker 1: So cute, so cute to trages, Yes, trag is My first tradge is not getting to eat the delicious bite. I hate cartoons to do this.
Speaker 2: I have a trage for. I hate when the character doesn't get to eat what they wanted to.
Speaker 1: Eat the omelet moment, and then he's hungry later.
Speaker 2: Yes, unacceptable, unacceptable.
Speaker 1: Uh, this is a trage. But it was quite enjoyable, I said, trag for the accents. I don't think anyone had an actual French accent, which is funny I had. I do enjoy when actors do things in just an okay way. But mm.
Speaker 2: Trage for all the times that Remy was sad or scared.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I hated that.
Speaker 2: Could not could not deal.
Speaker 1: I hate feeling sad for characters like that. I have a trage for How do I put this?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I wrote racially unclear moments? Lol. Here's some things that I noticed. For example, we were laughing at the They have all the different versions of Gusta. I don't think anything was part reticularly crazy offensive. They do have Mexican Gusto talk. They make a point not to have Chinese Gusta.
Speaker 2: I was watching. I was like, oh, boys, and I'm like, that's gonna know.
Speaker 1: This is a perfect way to embody this era where they're like, Okay, we're figuring out which ones to do and which ones not to, but we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna put it here anyway.
Speaker 1: And then the one black chef uh says something about juju and it was just like, Oh, I don't know, you guys. You you didn't put any you didn't put enough people in this to make us feel confident about your choices such that I would just steer clear of stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like the one character. The two characters who get to be raised up in this are Linguini. Yeah you said, like the most American guy and then an American rat.
Speaker 2: An American rat, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Yeah, I'd say that it's more of like a relic or a perfect encapsulation of its time, which is a time where we're like, we figured race out, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got it, you guys. Yeah. I have a trage for a gas at Gusta doing a Mexican accent.
Speaker 1: That's so funny and then uh, I think my biggest trage is I did not before this watch notice Linguini's little goateea.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 1: It's so gross, but terrible amount of little hairst.
Speaker 2: Very related trage for Linguini is punching hard. Do you know this phrase? Punching? No, it's very like that person is out.
Speaker 1: Of your league.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, and oh my god, he knows out of his depth? What is called that doing with him? No?
Speaker 1: No, girl, no, it's hard to meet people when you have a job like that.
Speaker 2: Terrible, I think an overall trage for I will never eat the food that is in this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to try a bite of that hot ratitui. Also, why didn't they bring him more food while he was waiting there? They gave him like three bites of vegetables and then he has to sit there drinking two bottles of wine until the sham can come out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was fine with that. I think that's a normal day for him.
Speaker 1: He's a foodie. He only eats the good things. If I don't like it, I don't don't swa, don't love it.
Speaker 2: He can't don't say that. He cannot just say, oh my gosh, well that's rollerblade. Yeah, let's roller blade into our next segment. How to pretend you've seen this film? This is for you are at a restaurant perusing the menu. You're at Gusta's French gourmet restaurant, perusing the menu and linguini. Alfredo roller blades up to you and says, good evening everyone.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to share this, but I have to say this really reminds me of a film. And before I get you started with your starters, I'd love to start by actually speaking with you about the film. It's called Ratitude.
Speaker 1: And in order to stop uh, which word dog you linqueni Alfredo? Oh, and in order to stop Alfredo uh from serving you things you don't need to know. Yeah, here are a few things you can say to pretend you've seen the film Ratatui. Okay, here's some rat facts. Yes, Alfredo, I have seen the film Ratatui. Some facts about this film. First of all, pet rats were kept at the studio in the hallway for more than a year so that animators could study their movements and for noses, ears, pause, tales, et cetera. And also, marketing tie ins were difficult for this movie because no food company wanted to be associated with the rat.
Speaker 2: Oh that's dang. Yes, Alfredo, I've seen rad Towy and I would strongly advise you don't keep talking to me. You're not you don't know what I'm capable of.
Speaker 1: And he's like, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: And I say, I killed a man with this dumb best line.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is interesting. Yes, Alfredo, I have seen the film ratitouey Here's This was apparently Anthony Bourdain's favorite food centric movie. And some of the things he says are things that I think we probably both we were trying to put about how spot on there about food, how real it feels. He says, they got the food, the reactions to food, and tiny details, right down to the barely noticeable pink burns on one of the character's forearms. I noticed that this time. Did you notice that Colette has burns on her arms? I did not. Yeah, I did not notice that any other time. I thought it captured a passionate love of food in a way that very few other films have. True. Oh, I also forgot to put in my badges. Oh, I wonder where I wrote it. That. Uh, the sparks around Remy's head when he's eating.
Speaker 2: I love that symphony moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the symphony moment and then showing it when his brother like can't get it as much. I just thought that was so artful and cool. Hmmm.
Speaker 2: I forgot to put a badge for I think this is the best the animation has been. I think animation has not been this good since, and it wasn't this good before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got they had fire water animals, like everything's so difficult to animate food and perfectly.
Speaker 2: The fur of the animals was so perfect.
Speaker 1: This is a movie too where you're like, oh, it's really benefited from being in this style versus it just being like, I don't know, it's kind of the default to do this CGI style.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is one where it's like, oh wow, it's really amazing because it's a lot of people and then a lot of rat and cartoonishness.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: And then I hop out of that conversation I'm having with my woman friend and I turned to Alfredo and I say, yes, that's right, Alfredo, two women talking about film Welcome to Hell.
Speaker 1: Yes, Alfredo, I have seen the film Ratitu et fun fact, and this is how it's written on the trivia site. To find out how to animate the scene where the head chef is wet, they dressed someone, just someone, they don't say who. They dressed someone in a chef suit and put him in a swimming pool to see what parts of the clothing stuck to his body and which parts you could see through. Imagine being the guy that they dress up and then being completely unnamed. Even in the trivia of court. It's some like Pa or something's assistant. We put someone in a chef suit.
Speaker 2: They're like, we need you to go buy a fit, and then we need you to put on the chef's outfit and get in the pool.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. This was in France. This movie broke the record for the biggest debut for an animated movie. That's cute. I'm happy they like it in France.
Speaker 2: This little rat is so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this rat is so cute.
Speaker 2: So just a little guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In order to stop Alfredo from speaking further at me, I just show him the photo of a meal with full of grapes and he laughs and hard to the conversation. He has to rollerblade back into the kitchen to collect himself.
Speaker 1: Now that you have finished with Linguini, now that you've finished with Alfredo and dumped him in the trash, we can move on to our next segment, which is, of course, should you watch this or where we tell you if you should watch this film or if you should do something else with your time. Leanna, what do you think, honestly?
Speaker 2: Have at it? You can watch Ratititui. But what you're gonna need to make sure you also do is have something very delicious on hand. And I would recommend a fresh I get and some cheese and red grapes because those are so featured in the film that you're gonna want to eat them at some point soon after. But really, whatever floats your tummy boat, I need.
Speaker 1: To figure out what I'm gonna eat after this.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so excited for you. I have leftovers from my roast.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I really walk it down, work it out. I really want that Gino Alfredo, Betechini, Alfredo, I love that, Sianna.
Speaker 2: What would you say?
Speaker 1: I would say, you can watch this movie. To be honest, I really remembered liking it, but I wasn't like so so excited to watch it just because I'm like, oh, I've seen it before and it's cute, but you know, it might be kind of long. And it was just like so much more magical and entertaining than I even remembered it. So I would recommend it. It's a really really nice little watch. It's very beautiful and yeah, and I agree with Leanna that it's it's a kind of amazing moment of animation that still holds on.
Speaker 2: Mmmm hmmm, Sianna, what would you rate the film? Rataituey?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh mmmm, ratituy is so good. I guess I'm gonna give it like this movie is really good. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess i'll give it like.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give this film. I'm gonna give it four point eight buff rats out of five. I love it. I love every second. I don't even know why I'm giving it not perfect. It's like there were some things like I don't know, that's that's what because that's what my heart feels. Yeah, Leanna, h what would you rate it?
Speaker 2: I I will give Ratituey four point five little clasped pause out of five. Whenever he clasped. His pause was so cute. It's so cute, it's beautiful, the food is so delish. It loses that half point just because that woman is not ending up with that man in real life, and that man failing upward is so annoying.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it feels too real. Hmm.
Speaker 2: I think that's it. Yeah, yeah, and I just it's I don't want to watch an animal be sad for even a second. Yeah, not even for one second ever. But oh fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well, everybody that has been ratatouey, we watched ratatuwey and it was really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, freaking slapped slap a too.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening. We are Toss Popcorn. You can find us at Toss Popcorn on Instagram and we are at toss Popcorn or we You can find us on Patreon at patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn. We always appreciate the support. Thank you for all new supporters and uh join us next week when we will be watching.
Speaker 2: Lady Chatterley's Lover Who.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We love you.
Speaker 2: A biento.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leona Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put on episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Oh I want them to be my phone background. I love it so much.
Speaker 1: It's really Crael. Okay, Oh my god, he looks like a batwhere else.
Speaker 2: Oh he looks like a ceremonial bat.
Speaker 1: Oh it's amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm still looking at it. I zoomed in.
Speaker 1: Also the the fact that the caption is the most honorable Terrible Friend