Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Like easy to Drink, Easy.
Speaker 2: To Enjoy, and brought to you in part by.
Speaker 1: Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable, Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop. Visitshop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, Steeler Nation. It is the Drive live at Training Camp, Saint Vincent College of Course in Latro, Pennsylvania. Another beautiful day here on campus, Rush Huoler, Matt Williamson, Hi, a top Chuck Nolefield with you here for the next three hours as Matt acclamation part of camp over Sunday off. The pads went on.
Speaker 4: Today, Yeah they did. And so the beginning of practice, I mean obviously not the stretch portion, and the individuals and things were like everybody I was on the edge of my seat. How physical are we going to get? How much banging are we going to get? Is it going to be any different? Is it going to be drastically different? Just in terms of tone and physicality. And this is not me being critical. We know this head coach doesn't value that in as much as keeping his players healthy and getting the starting line and conditioning and running a ton of plays. It's just different ways to attack practice. But I would say the first twenty minutes, half hour or so, I'm watching, going this looks exactly like last week, you know, I'm like, that's cool, no big deal. And then we got into some you know, I mean, it wasn't seventies Raiders verse Steelers or you know, Ray Lewis versus Ben Sugs in those days by any means in terms of the physicality and aggressiveness and violence. But we saw legit one on one big men drills, you know, like to the left of us here in the end zone. They had it was almost like a varsity group and a JV group where they had two lines on each side of the end zone. Where again this is not a rip on Tomlin, Everyone's just doing things different. I love how much field they use in practice, you know what I mean? They spread out, yeah, you know, so there was three things going on at once. There were two O line drills. Again, it was like the ones with like Max was in there too, I mean ones plus versus the ones plus KMTJ. High Smith, all those dudes. And then on the other side of the end zone just next to them were the JV guys basically, you know, And I didn't pay an attention to JV guys. I was just watching the ones, going they gonna play ady Cake or are they going to go at it? They went at it. I mean it was like a Senior Bowl practice or you know Tomlin practice. They were one on ones, trying everything they got to do battle to get to the quarterback. I was like, great, And then you know, the rest of the field was basically a skeleton drill, you know, one on ones quarterbacks throwing to receivers and stuff. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. But you know, Labs and I were here watching it and we're yelling through the glass at each other and what you see there and who has that made that play? Blah blah. There's a lot. It's always a lot to watch in these practices more so than the other ones. But we noticed, and this definitely was true last week, a lot of the defensive backs, if not all, were not contesting catches, you know, like they're kind of they play up to the to the catch point and then they sort of let them. They don't. They're not battling in the air and fighting and spiking it out. And frankly, we both said, I don't know how many people would get injured doing that, but obviously they're being coached to allow it. And then as the practice went on, those got a little more physical too. You know, we did not see backs on backers. We did not see seven shots. You know, those things might be things of a past, who's to say, but they definitely weren't out here playing paddy cake, you know. And there's a lot of people here, you know, sure, Pat McAfee's here. So it was a really good environment. And I had to leave a little early to go back to the hotel and do a podcast. But there was a two minute drill that I missed at the end, but there was good team stuff too. Of course, they're not like hitting the quarterbacks and things of that nature, and the team drills I don't know what the linemen were one thousand percent after each other, because that's how you get stepped on or somebody falls into the quarterback. But you got a pretty good feel of what they're trying to accomplish here. And I really enjoyed the one on one drills with the big guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was certainly something that I was hoping to see something that And again we know there's gonna be no live tackling, but that doesn't mean, to use your term, that they're playing patty cake out here.
Speaker 4: And they're doing thud you know, which is just basically chesting up a dude, which is by the way, folks like what thirty of the teams do. Yes, nobody cares about what the other thirty one teams in the world are doing, but that's what almost the entire league does.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is it is. This is more common to what you see way across the league than what we had had the last few years out here. As uh, yeah, a lot of those one on one drills seemingly some good stuff between Zach Fraser and y A Black. Yeah, Ke Benton seemed like he was active in a lot of those drills. Yes, big year for those I like that tournament. We'll probably use that through the rest of camp. The one pluses that you yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Liked that it wasn't just five linemen down there on offense. There was maybe seven or so. I think Coffin was with them, Max was definitely.
Speaker 3: With Those guys are one pluses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're still in the hunt and you know they're going against the top dudes.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of those on both sides of the football in this camp.
Speaker 4: I don't know where to make the cut, you know, like, and I think maybe someone like Yi Black want to walk back and forth and done both. I don't know for sure, but you know, yeah, you know, like Cam's gonna be there in Fraser and those guys. But yeah, it's it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Interesting where does like Jennings Dunker go.
Speaker 4: You know he's yeah, yeah for now, so that but I'm sure it's quite the honor to be like, why don't you go the other group today? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Baby, that's that's when you that's when you know you're starting to to settle in here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, a little bit. So Dunker is a perfect guy to bring that up about.
Speaker 3: Great, he's a great one. He's he's a he's an absolute great one, because it seems like there's a lot of those again one plus a little bit of those tweeeners in both sides of the trenches. Yes, a lot of a lot of good a lot of good, big bodies here in this camp, a lot of spots that are seemingly already kind of nailed on. Just how's the exact pecking order going to shake out? But yeah, no, that's that's that's good to hear. It is. It's one of those things, man, when they when they really get going, like starting this week, you have to tell yourself, Okay, I'm watching this for a few minutes.
Speaker 4: I just concentrate on that.
Speaker 3: If you want to watch the quarterbacks, watch the quarterbacks for a few minutes. If you want to watch the offensive and defensive lineman one on ones, watch that for a few minutes, because you'll find yourself trying to follow multiple things at once and then you can't really follow it. It's like it's that, it's that classic. You know, the human brain is is not capable of fully focusing on two things at the same time. It's like, don't try.
Speaker 4: Through that again, who's that? And then you get all.
Speaker 3: It's like you got to lock in on one thing for a few minutes at a time, watch it, dissect it, and then move on to the next thing across the field or down on the corner or because like you said, there's a lot going on every single practice.
Speaker 4: So Senior Bowl, like when I was at ESPN my first couple of years, I joined Todd McShay and Steve Mensch, who we reference often. Those guys are still doing it, but they needed a third set of eyes because there was really three drills going on at the same time. There was the big men, there was a little men, and the guys in between, you know, So we just switched day to day. Like you got the backs first linebackers, you got the big guys today. Because we try to watch it all, you're really selling yourself short, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just there's there's too much going on. You're gonna miss it and you're not gonna catch everything. You're not gonna be as detail oriented. So yeah, there's there's a lot of a lot to watch out here. And I'm Mike McCarthy practice, that's for sure. And today we got the kind of the first clips of everything with the with the pass on, with the big men going at it. I wonder too, you know, one thing, despite the the physical nature, more physical nature I should say of Mike Tomlin practices, because then if I just say the physical nature, that makes it seem like they're not doing anything at all here with right mcraphy, and that's just not true.
Speaker 4: Which was worrying me the first twenty minutes half hours, so labs are apparently look at each other like they're just not like last week.
Speaker 3: This looks like we're still acclimating here. With that, I wonder what tomorrow's practice looks like in that sense, because one thing that Mike Tomlin was, despite how widely known he ran physical training camp practices, he also knew when to say whoa as opposed to sick on?
Speaker 1: Yea?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like heow it back after Friday night lights, every.
Speaker 3: Real physical for two days, and then the third day he would dial it back and then you know, yeah, real physical for Friday night lights and then maybe that next Saturday it take it easy on them. I wonder what tomorrow's practice looks like from that stand.
Speaker 4: That's a good point. I guess we'll find out and we'll let you guys know for sure, but then I'm being here watching the whole thing yet again, crowd was great today. You mentioned before, the weather's been awesome. The McAfee aspect of it all adds a little something else, you know, pads being on ads in a little something else. But talking about the drill that I watched most that the big men, my man Max looked really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And to me that was my biggest takeaway, Like, okay, Frasier held his own yeah you know, Oh it's what characters all right, Yeah, I mean, like I know all those things, but I thought Max, you know, eight reps or something, one on one often against TJ, which I'm sure wasn't on purpose, but also really reminded me of Tomlin, you know, like when Artie Burns got here, it's like, oh, you could go against AB every time, right, right right. I don't know if that was on purpose or not. I kind of made the joke like this was tom when Max would go against DJ every time at right tackle. But he did a lot, and I think TJ beat him the first rep I watched, And again I wasn't charting it. I don't get stuff in front of me. After that, I would say Max got the better of him. You know, that doesn't mean oh TJ's shot, He's not gonna be any good anymore. Like one rep, he came off the edge hard, tried to go right down the middle of a Hanachre, Andhannachre just kind of sat back in his haunches absorbed it. Didn't take a step back after that. I mean he absorbed a big power blow right in his chest and the bullrush didn't phase him one bit. And even just the rep he got beat his first one, it was like, boy, but his feet looked really good. The lateral agility getting out of his stands, you know, might have been his first real rep against DJ Wattever. Probably it probably was very eye opening for the young man. And then he adjusted really well. So I'm curious to ask, like Starks are some of those guys and I know the wh'll go watch tape tonight, but I thought, Ohannachre was very noteworthy.
Speaker 3: Well that's something we'll definitely keep an eye on. Yeah, row and rolling through here as we continue to roll along in this padded portion of practice. Uh yeah, that's that's Unfortunately I missed that little portion. You you know, this and some other suit. I was a little late getting here today. Had had a sick daughter back home this morning, so had to kind of hang home while my wife ran into work for a couple of meetings and then came back home to relieve me. So, yeah, the first thing, this.
Speaker 4: Can be a balancing act for all of our schedule.
Speaker 3: It sure is. It really, it's a lot. It's a lot of moving parts, without a doubt, and it was.
Speaker 4: It was the first day for me not to make light of your daughter's illness. And I know she's on.
Speaker 3: Super yah know, she's just just a fever in that kind of you know, typical three year old stuff.
Speaker 4: But this was the first day where I was like, boy, being in the dorms would have been a little more convenient because I'd like wait for my room to get ready and then I ran over there and it's not quite ready, right, all right, Right, campus was crazy. It was like I wouldn't I wouldn't mind just walking up the hill and knowing that I had a home base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, place to do your podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was juggling today.
Speaker 3: Rest your eyes for a few minutes, yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 4: There was no eye resting today. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: There's no rest for the Wickeds and that's that's what I've been told. And you got a night show tonight as well too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm doing five hours straight.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what. I'm just going to say. You're doing Dolly parton today nine to five, but you're doing more like nine to nine today, long, long day.
Speaker 4: And along those lines with our schedule this week, are we these two days and then Wednesday's all yep, yeah, yeah, these two days we.
Speaker 3: Have today and tomorrow, then Wednesday off, then we'll be back Thursday Friday. Obviously Saturday is Saturday night Lights typically Friday Night Lights, but it is of course this Saturday, and then an off day Sunday, and then Matt a week from now, we'll be staring down the Steelers first preseason game just a couple of days away. Next Thursday is that first preseason game at home against the Packers. So that's what now, just ten days away or so, it's I'm gonna be here real quick. Yeah, always happens quick in this process.
Speaker 4: Again, you know, there's only a couple of us during practice as usual up here watching practice, and Rob was one of them, Rob King, when he was asking me all about the Jets offseason, and it was like, WHOA, I guess, is that not that far away either? You know, their second preseason game?
Speaker 3: It is. Yep. It's a fun preseason slate with the Packers, the Jets, and then the Buffalo Bills. Of course that new stadium up there in Buffalo that we'll get to see in a couple of weeks. I'm just who am I kidding? I'm just trying to find ways to make the preseason interesting. But that first game is always something that we're looking for. After we get through a few more practices here, you're ready to see somebody hit somebody in a different uniform and to be able to assess a little bit from there. We're just getting started here on this Monday on campus. Plenty more ground to cover from practice, some other moving and shaking around the league, some of those larger themed conversations. We got to get back into the Steelers depth.
Speaker 4: Trick, trying to mention law Aaron Rodgers soon to get back there.
Speaker 3: Let's do that. We'll talk a little Aaron Rodgers. When we returned, still a nice crowd over there at the McAfee show. I thought they were wrapping up at three o'clock, but maybe they're maybe they're going a little bit longer on their YouTube page or something there. But a lot happening on campus today, another beautiful, sunny, gorgeous day here on the campus of Saint Vincent College. Matt and I are with you until six p. M. Williamson just getting started here. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage. Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is live coverage op Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light. He's to drink, easy.
Speaker 2: To enjoy, and brought to you in part by.
Speaker 1: Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control, making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the new power move Independence health System expert Care here. Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Cadiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 3: Back on campus here you learn Williams since the drive. As we roll along. It was a very busy day on campus today Stelsa McAfee stuff show stuff going on over there. Of course, the first day of padded practices always brings out a crowd, Matt. And it was a beautiful, beautiful weather day today. High seventies, low eighties, just a couple of clouds in the sky, no semblance of rain. We've been very fortunate in that regard out here so far. Hopefully that will continue. Did you get crushed with rain at home last night? No, we got annihilated up up in Mars Cranberry where I'm at, Oh my goodness, for like.
Speaker 4: Four night before it was crazy, like wake you up the mind of the night storm.
Speaker 3: We've got a creek behind our house and it like kind of started overflowing last night. Like that's no, because we're like up on a hill from that, if that makes sense. But I can always tell how much rain we're getting because normally it's like nice and calm, and then it gets pretty crazy and then it starts to overflow a little bit. So yeah, some serious rain back in some parts of western Pennsylvania last night. But here today, beautiful day and it looks like that's going to be the case tomorrow for another practice for the Steelers before they get a day off on Wednesday, Matt, before we went to break, you had some Aaron Rodgers things that you wanted to discuss here on the program.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again we were just chatting with Rob and labs, you know, observing them in practice and you know, things of that nature. He put on a clinic throw in the football today. He was so sharp. And it's not that it's unusual that it's like, wow, he's really good, but like the ball just look beautiful. It's so beautiful. I mean, like we talked about the huge net that they threw over over there, you know, on the right, Well, they had the smaller one today.
Speaker 3: I see ye.
Speaker 4: And it was part of this is good, part of this is bad. It's so apparent. And I think these were Rob's exact words, like who the starter is compared to the other three? Oh yeah, I mean, and.
Speaker 3: Who the future Hall of Famer is right the other three?
Speaker 4: I mean, he made one throw where the net was pretty far downfield. I want to say it was fifteen twenty yards from where they're released, maybe from the line of scrimmage, let alone their release point where he threw it almost underhand. I mean it was as side arm as you could get, the instant flick of like a dark throw hits that middle thing swish, and he was happy about it. He was fingered guns, you know, like I mean, he he those fingers. He definitely had the you know, like a high, high degree of difficulty on that throw. And he was real proud of himself, and he should have been because there's still not many people to pull that one off. It's awesome, but the other guys on the on the flip side, especially next to him, are well behind. I mean, just as throwers of the football and let alone their command of the game. And that's no criticism.
Speaker 3: I mean, one's a four time MVP, first top three, top five quarterback to ever live.
Speaker 4: But like Aller missed that entire net several times. I mean on ten throws, maybe he sunk one, you know, like Toward was okay, Rudolph was okay, but they were okay, I'm gonna throw the ball over top and do it right and come out. It's not snap my head around, you know, like the hell, you know, like QB one, it was just impressive and watching him throw go balls down the sidelines and some of the team stuff I watched looked like everything that came out of Aaron Sands today was WHOA, that's pretty.
Speaker 3: He was showing off for his MacAfee show.
Speaker 4: I was wondering, I made that joke to in town. Right.
Speaker 3: No, that's and again that is that's not a knock on the other guys.
Speaker 4: That is, it's a slight concern, you know. I mean, if the if a first round pick came in here, I'd like him to look more like Rogers than the next guy. But yes, again the standard tie. So he's probably one of the best. It's he is one of the best. It's ever done that stuff in the history of the planet.
Speaker 3: Without a doubt. The the arm talent is just it jumps off the page. You make this joke sometimes, Matt, that like, you know, if I took my wife to uh to to the Civic Arena in the nineties, right, and she's like, who's that sixty six guy out there? He looks he looks a little bit better than everybody else, you know, forty three with the hair. You could take somebody uh you know, in the nineties to uh to the United Center in Chicago and they'd be like, who's that bald number twenty three? Man, he's really getting a lot of buckets for the goal I think.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, there's this guys that are different.
Speaker 3: Engineering host Ed Troup is upset. I'm sorry, listen, ed Ed, You're my second favorite ball guy after Michael Jordan. Okay, you know, I think you and I.
Speaker 4: Doesn't take advanced scout and see who the best quarterback was.
Speaker 3: It does. It does not take a football genius to come out here and see, oh, that's the Hall of Fame quarterback.
Speaker 4: I guess I want that guy starting right that's slinging that thing.
Speaker 3: And you know it's funny to me too that still like they're even with that arm talent though it's still the above the next stuff that makes Aaron Rodgers so great. I oh, yeah, I almost sent this to you last night. I was laughing and you know how this works. But I can't remember if it was on Twitter or Instagram or whatever social media platform it would have been. I'm scrolling through at some point yesterday evening and there's like a video of Will Levis working out and throwing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I think he said like, I'm one of the best thirty two quarterbacks in the league.
Speaker 3: And his agent put out this video and you watch Will Levis throw the ball and it's like, how can that I not stick on an NFL team?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Because his his arm talent. You watch this forty five second cut up and you're like, dude, is anybody sure? But it's the above the next When you have that ability and the above the next stuff that Aaron Rodgers has, that's when you get a multiple MVP and in a future Hall of.
Speaker 4: Fame career in the quick processing and the identifying stuff pre snap. And so another little story from practice today I found was interesting is so when they're doing like walk through tempo, they don't want the defense down here. The offense is on the near field. It's hard to watch the second field from where we sit, you know that. So watching offense early practice walk through stuff they will have I'm trying and still figure out the beanie system. By the way, on defense, there's like three different colored beanies of offensive players being scout team defense and just going through the mode.
Speaker 3: And we've seen that sometimes in the past, but it's usually one color beats usually one color. It's like a red beanie. Yes, so there's like orange and green.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's three different colors. There's definitely green, and there was only one red beanie for offensive players masquerading his defensive players. Today and again everyone's getting hit and I look at it. I'm like, the guy wearing the red beanie has an eight on his jack his back. It's Aaron Ryan Rodgers, right, he's playing a middle linebacker. And I came to the conclusion that it's probably the green dot guy. But then I'm like, why isn't that he should be wearing the green ones guy red? Because I won, and it looked like he would be the one that like barked out the calls to everybody and then he'd pretend to be a linebacker and come up there Jennings dunker or whatever, you know. But he gets tell he was engaged, you know, like the Hall of Fame forty two year old doesn't have to be out there with a beanie on his head. He playing linebacker, right right?
Speaker 3: Is ed? Are you still back there and still out there? I think he I think he might have I think he might have ran. I think he might have ran to the bathroom and ran somewhere real quick. But uh, it was funny. The other day Aaron Rodgers was doing that same thing. Yeah, and walking out the cafeteria, Ed said to him, he was like, saw you playing linebacker? Saw you playing linebacker out there today?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And Aaron was like, that was my favorite position when I was growing up.
Speaker 4: Oh really, yet rickindle his youth.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, hey, And that's what some of this is all about too. You got to still have that Yeah, you got to keep it light and you got to have that love for the game. But that is funny, that's what he said. That was his favorite position growing up. Maybe Aaron Rodgers, instead of being a Hall of Fame gun slinger, he always wanted to be a Green doc guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's hilarious. I mean, like I've always talked about since he's been here, how he impresses me because everything he does is so deliberate and he doesn't waste any time on the field, and he's always thinking, you know, how can I make myself or my teammates or my coach is better, or how you know whatever. But in that instance, I thought it was just like I think he's just out here make bringing everyone up. With him. You know what I mean, Like, I'm gonna enjoy this. It's not to be taken lightly. If QB one is gonna put a beanie on, we should be very cognizant of what's going on here, you know what I mean. When Rudolph or whoever's taking snaps, you know, if he's gonna be out there playing linebacker, don't blow it off, you.
Speaker 3: Know, absolutely, Matt. We've gotten a few tweets about Drew Aller throughout these last couple of days. It seems like he continues to make some some impressive arm strength throws out here.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I remember when Chris Hallick sat with us that was our last show before breaking he said it was a very Drew Awler like day. Now that means a bit of a roller coaster his stage of his career, and that was what it was like at Penn State. I mean, he makes some beautiful throws, big time arm strength throws down the field right and it's not loading up to do it. Ball comes out clean, clear, and then sometimes a crosser that you know is as much a layup throw as you can imagine, rows of three feet behind him too hot, and again that you know throwing into that net. He would miss the entire net at times. Like wow, yeah, so that's a work in progress. But you see what they're working with.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, you do, and that's what this is all about. I'm really excited, obviously to see those young quarterbacks when we get into a preseason setting. I don't you think we'll see any of Mason Rudolph in that first preseason game.
Speaker 4: I was wondering that too, Maybe in the first series. It's funny you brought that up, because as I was driving here this morning, I thought the exactly why it dawned on me. But I'm like, maybe, like out of respect, he'll do like the first series act as a starter, hand it off to you young pups. I'm different than you guys. Or maybe if they just say we're just gonna hide your helmet and let those two go the whole time because you're valuable. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: And I wonder how much of that relates to what offensive lineman will play some too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because if it's like a good conversation.
Speaker 3: It's like, hey, we're gonna play Zach Frazier and Mason McCormick for a series.
Speaker 4: May you deal with them.
Speaker 3: But if it's not, then it's like, hey, let's just get all the young guys out there, let them learn together, let me let them grow together.
Speaker 4: I would think been in Metcalf have no chance.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't, especially again when we know how much Mike McCarthy values getting these guys to September healthy.
Speaker 4: I don't know about Warren or I would think Leco.
Speaker 3: Eat Friar, move anybody that's an established veteran that's no longer on their rookie contract. I'd almost be surprised if they played.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I bet that's probably true. Maybe the number one O line in Week two or something like that. But I don't think so. And I don't know Rogers play snap.
Speaker 3: I would probably not be shocked if he did.
Speaker 4: He didn't last year, right, I don't think so. Don't believe so. If he believes he has to do it, he probably would have done it last year.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm thinking. And I guess if he was if he was working well last year, he was working with a new coach and a new staff. It's different, and so this he you'd think he'd be even more comfortable than he was at this point last year.
Speaker 4: And I don't care who the coach is, he should have a lot of input on that decision.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, if he goes to if he goes to you and says, hey, I want I want six plays or whatever.
Speaker 4: You got it?
Speaker 3: You got it fine, if you're going to hand it off six times a screen, pats on, take a shower after, you know, right, exactly right, exactly right. So that'll be something that we'll keep an eye on and start talking about more. And honestly, I bet you by the time we get to Thursday of next week, we'll probably know the answers to that, because I don't think there's a I don't think he's gonna hide anything on that. I'm sure he'll be asked about it. Strategic advantage. Right, it's a preseason game, right, No one's no one's getting fired over a win or a loss. Now, you might be, you might be getting on with your life's work if you're one of the players. But I don't think I don't think any of the coaches are really stressing over preseason results, except for maybe Harball in New York now because we know that for a while.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I forgot John Harball onereto. Yeah, took it real seriously.
Speaker 3: Five or six straight years without losing the preseason game.
Speaker 4: It'll be fun to even talk about the defense too. Like if we assume Porter and Ramsey you're still on pop, does Samuel play some? Yeah? Does Wilson and not Queen? Probably? Probably there's like a Benton. I mean, we know that Cams and Watts aren't right right right, But I wonder where that new guys like Dean maybe a little or a brisker. I don't know. I mean, it'll be interesting to have that conversation.
Speaker 3: It sure will, and those will be things we'll be keeping an eye on here as we as we roll along and get closer and closer to that first preseason game. West Schuler, Matt Williamson, it is the Drive. We're on campus Saint Vincent College, putting the bow on another day of training camp, the fifth training camp practice today for your Pittsburgh Steelers in the books. We'll have some final thoughts and observations when we return right here on the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage up DOT twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by Bud light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and.
Speaker 2: Brought to you in part by your neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, the first national bank.
Speaker 2: Let's get started member FDIC.
Speaker 1: West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Don's Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by hass Is Steak and Seahouse. Haws is his hospitality.
Speaker 3: Growing along here on this Monday, August third, the fifth training camp practice in the books for your Pittsburgh Steelers, and it is of course the first with pads. A lot to kind of glean out here on a busy day at Chuck Nolefield. Matt also notable. I think notable is a fair way to say roster moved by the Steelers.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, here.
Speaker 3: Today as uh well, I guess technically I think it was last night, but in effect here today. The Steelers signed safety ray Shawn Jenkins to a one year contract. He was a fourth round pick of the Chargers in twenty seventeen. He's entering his tenth season in the NFL. Spent four years with the Chargers three years with the Jags, with the Seattle Seahawks for a year, and then was with the Browns last year one hundred and thirty nine core games. Last year, he had forty five tackles for the Browns, one interception, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. Appeared in all seventeen games for Cleveland. And with that, the Steelers released Darnell Savage. We had spent I don't want to say so much time, but we had spent some time throughout the offseason in the draft and all that stuff and speculating is he on the roster? Is he not on the roster? And then it became official a couple of weeks ago, and now Darnell Savage has been released as the Steelers continue to try and find the right balance in that safety room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't think these are her shattering moves, but it's worth bringing up that from what I gathered, and I didn't see this in print, but I think this took a while because I think he had some kind of like offseason clean up surgery or Yeah, I think they need to make sure he was healthy. I think you're right that they've been in touch with Jenkins pretty much the entire since free agency opened, but they just wanted to make sure they got the clean bill of health. It's kind of like a Chuck Clark move or one of those type safeties that and that's not uncommon for across the league. A lot of these veteran safeties that are smart, that have reasonably good tape and a resume of years, can stick around for a while, even if they can't run like they once did. Now you don't want them out there for a ton of snaps, but you know, anticipation and understanding what a defense or an offense is trying to do and positioning can go a long way at safety, even once you've slowed down a little bit from what I gather to just chatting to people this afternoon. Special teams had a lot to do with it. So unlike Savage, who was a first round pick and comes into the league with a lot more fanfare, he has a much more developed special teams resume, So I think they're counting on him as being a core guy on that regard, And just like Savage, he could come out here and not look great, and he's not guaranteed any kind of roster spot. I mean, I'm sure there's very little signing bonus or guaranteed money or any of that stuff, So he's probably just happy to get another opportunity extend his career. And maybe he's your third or fourth guy you have a late round pick in that room that's I think probably likely to make the team. But you know, he's a way different part of his career. You can't count on him at all, at least as it stands here in early August. And I also got the impression this wasn't necessarily knock on Savage. It was just we need a special teamer.
Speaker 3: You know that makes sense?
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because that My first thought was kind of like, hey, I'm not sitting here pounding the table for Darnell Savage and to release that guy. But I was like, this is pretty early in the process.
Speaker 4: Right, I thought that was shocking to say goodbye.
Speaker 3: To him after just four acclamation period practices.
Speaker 4: But there's I'm sure we could pull one of these rosters up and find ten names that we know nothing about and cut one of them and we wouldn't have thought twice about it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But you're right, there's there's always more stuff behind the scenes in terms of special teams, in terms of you know, just overall health and and and status of these guys. Yeah, yeah, and so yes, Rayshawn Jenkins in the fold here as as the Steelers try and round out and find all the all the correct balance for what'll be uh, you know, a special team's room that has to come together in a safety group with still with some questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just say that position we haven't spent a lot of time on, but I guess we could chat about it a little bit now, if you know, Like this is a really out there example. But late, late, late in the process, the Browns released Joe Hayden and the Steelers like, oh we played against him, abunk, she still has something left?
Speaker 3: Yes, excuse me, God, bless you there. Matt Williams said, yes, no, you're right that for those who are unfamiliar, Joe Hayden was late in training camera. Might even have been after training camp now that I'm might and he was.
Speaker 4: It was after breaking Saint Vincent.
Speaker 3: It was after breaking Saint Vincent, and he was no spring chicken. He was not, but he was still twenty nine years old at that point. I think clearly had a couple good years of football, did have a couple good years of football left in him. But it seems like something like that there's a surprise release around the league. There's always a few, too much every year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if there's a safety that fits that mold or somebody. I can see this team still having interest that they've done a lot of the last two years of Duggers and Clerks and Savage and you know, now this move that that veteran dude. Yeah, we're going to keep the door open maybe for another Yeah, I mean, you wouldn't mind keeping five of them.
Speaker 3: No, you absolutely would. And especially again, I think given some of the just unknown yeah, with that group and at large, is that something will continue to monitor. But I thought that was kind of the first There's there's always additions and subtractions at the bottom of the roster. Oh yeah, but I thought, you know, that was kind of the first significant one. Yea, the names that we've heard of and a guy and Darnell Savage obviously that I think most fans were kind of keeping an eye on throughout this offseason process.
Speaker 4: And people, i mean, I'm sure you guys are you know, dialed into the Steelers app, and you get the notifications on your phone a lot of times, the ninth receiver in camp that no one's ever heard of, from Slippery Rock or whatever. It's kind they sign another guy from UTAP. You know, it's like those aren't worth really talking about until they start showing up and making a name for themselves. But this one, as you said, was noticeable. You know, it's it's some it's names that have had success in this league.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Slippery Rock, though I didn't think, we didn't think. We get an SRU reference on the on the show today, Matt, thanks to our our buddy Allen Saunders of Pittsburgh Sports now Steelers Now, we do have a little bit of information already for Mike McCarthy on Aaron Rodgers and preseason.
Speaker 4: Oh really so.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy said that final decisions on specific playing time for veterans have not been finalized, but he said, and I quote when asked about Aaron Rodgers specifically, he'd like to play, and I'd like to see him play. Mike McCarthy said earlier that I believe that was earlier today.
Speaker 4: That's a pretty vague statement.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty vague statement, but I'd like to he'd like to play, and I'd like to see him play, you know. I think the second part of that is what is a little hum to me because you hear a lot of times, Oh, he'd like to play. We're gonna figure it out. This is pretty vague, right when he says I'd like to see him play. I don't know if he necessarily had to say that part.
Speaker 4: Well, if both those things are true, and there's no reason I think they aren't, and again they are vague, well what's stopping you then? I mean, who's going to tell? You know? If party number one says I want to do it, and Party number two so I'd like to see you do it, well, they probably gonna do it. Aaron Rodgers and I bet it's like one series.
Speaker 3: I bet it's one series. Yes, Aaron Rodgers said, Mike, if you want me to play, all play. I'm not saying I want to do it, but if you want me to, I will.
Speaker 4: Okay. That makes a step back there.
Speaker 3: That makes me think we maybe need to take a little bit of a step back.
Speaker 4: That wasn't like I have to play or jumping into the deep end. Maybe we won't say it. Maybe he hands off three times and gets.
Speaker 3: Out of there, and hey, I could see that. I like it is funny now that because you you know, you had asked it, what did they do last year? And it kind of took a second. You know, it's funny how recently that was. But at the same time, all the year, yeah, right, all the years blend together. I feel like there was a little, a little, not a lot. I don't want to exaggerate, but I feel like there was a little commotion last year around Oh my gosh, I can't believe Aaron Rodgers isn't even gonna play a series.
Speaker 4: It's a new team, right right? Is he dialed in? You know, took him forever to report and then there's that, You know, if.
Speaker 3: He's playing three or four snaps, is that really a big difference?
Speaker 4: Do you think anyone cares in Week six one bit about that?
Speaker 3: If you're telling me Aaron Rodgers is gonna play thirty preseason snaps? Okay, three? Three, my first down and hands the ball off two more times?
Speaker 4: How many NFL he's played in his life?
Speaker 3: Thousands?
Speaker 4: Right, thousands?
Speaker 3: So that that to me, and again I get it. We all we we want football so bad, we love it. We can't wait till camp gets here, then we can't wait till preseason gets here. Then we're all jacked up for Week one. I get it, But at the same time, I feel like we always put a little too much stock and maybe yeah, and and and conversation just into how much is especially with a veteran. It's different with young guys, but with a veteran like that, I don't think there's a right answer. I don't think there's a wrong answer. Just whatever makes you comfortable, whatever makes you happy.
Speaker 4: Oh, last week or two, we've listed some of the anti climatic and overblown things in the NFL calendar, you know, like the Hall of Fame games. Top a list for maybe one of them is who's playing? How many snaps in preseason? And the other one that's one of my favorites is who's gonna make that Who's gonna be the fifty third guy on the rock?
Speaker 3: It was the bottom of the roster guys.
Speaker 4: Sometimes those guys get cut before the opening day, yes, you know, like they go celebrate with their family or whatever. I made the final team, and then they go to the locker and they go to go see the GMS, like, oh, they need a special team or I'm.
Speaker 3: Out yep, like someone got dinged up and they have to shuffle some stuff around.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: No, it is, it's it's it's a it's a very fluid process. I think that's it is. I think that's why I would put it. But you're right, there's a lot that we overreact to. But I also get it. This is the United States of football. It's our number one, number two, number three, number four favorite sport in this country.
Speaker 4: And we're on the air for three hours a day and for three hours listen.
Speaker 3: Like, if you're a Pirates fan, you get to watch your team play one hundred and sixty two times a year. If you're a Steeler fan, you only get seventeen games.
Speaker 4: And so I I analyze like that would be kind. I mean, I'm a little jealous of them for content.
Speaker 3: You know what though, because like I say this to some of my but you and I are both about as casual as base baseball fans that you can be.
Speaker 4: We want to see the Pirate this morning.
Speaker 3: Trade deadline's Yeah, apparently the Pirates acquired some some some pitcher from the Mets. Here we left to ask Rob King about that one tomorrow when we see him. But I've had this conversation with some of my buddies that are like diehard baseball people. I don't know if I could do one hundred and sixty two games a year, man.
Speaker 4: I mean, especially if you have to travel with the team.
Speaker 3: And I just like I understand the mindset's different, because like, if you lose a game, it's not like losing on a Sunday to Cincinnati and then you have to sit and stew in it all week. You're right back. But at the same time, like.
Speaker 4: The baseball people think the same way, like how do you go all week without talking.
Speaker 3: About a game and then it's one game?
Speaker 4: And it's one game? Right?
Speaker 3: I just I can't imagine like living in dying with one hundred and sixty two games.
Speaker 4: Go to.
Speaker 3: Matt. Matt, you know, in terms of the sporting world, there's nothing that I love more than WVU football. If WU football played one hundred and sixty two games a year, you know how many heart attacks I would have. My blood pressure would be up on Mars would be through the roof.
Speaker 4: Especially the Pirates.
Speaker 3: Although maybe it got a little bit better here in the last in the last couple hours, looks like the McAfee show is finally wrapping up.
Speaker 4: A lot of I assume some players were involved.
Speaker 3: I think some players were involved. I also I was trying to look, but it looked like McAfee and some of the crew were signing autographs over there too, maybe maybe hanging around a little bit longer. I'm sure that was just a crazy day for Steelers pr for Burt and all of our people. First padded practice, big day on campus.
Speaker 4: It's quite the stage they'd built, too.
Speaker 3: It was a massive stage over there in the baseball outfield. I think that's a pretty big deal, Matt. When you have the number one most viewed sports show in the world, I er one, it's number one. There's a couple, uh, you know, there's a couple like political shows and a couple of the like Joe Rogan type podcasts that that that have higher viewership, but in terms of sports shows, and that's number one right there.
Speaker 4: Wow, and uh.
Speaker 3: And it brought a heck of a crowd out here today certainly, and the final kind of people that were hanging out over there were starting to disperse. Our guys at the ground crew are back out here putting some work in. Matt, I don't see our little uh, our little green robot painting the lines here or something.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you saw this. I think it was Ian earlier tweeted us a picture they had a robot out on the baseball field, out there cutting the grass.
Speaker 4: I've seen that robot. He's a veteran, he's been around a couple of years. The other one's a rookie. Other that first round.
Speaker 3: Pick grass cutting robot doesn't need any preseason time the line, though, we're gonna need to see thirty forty snaps a game from him at least little hour in the books another hour ago. I want to dig back into some of the roster conversation stuff that Matt and I had last week, comparing certain position groups to others. We've also got some big storylines around the league that we need to some injuries and some uh some moving and shaking that we need to get to an hour number two here. Keep those tweets rolling in. We will get to those throughout this three hour show. Hour in the books. Two more hours to go. Euler and Williamson. We are at Saint Vincent College all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network