Speaker 1: You are listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. Back to throw to a looking clips about the wide Dolphin touchdown timeriquel.
Speaker 3: Unfelievable, just blue fire for a second time.
Speaker 2: Don knew where he was going right away.
Speaker 4: I want to hit that though.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm gonna help you. Someone will step on the bandwagon. Wattle Wattle to a shotguns, back to throw, looking at them up fires touchdown. It's Waddle his sixth touchdown paradoun on this thing.
Speaker 3: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins. Now let me check your pulse if enough?
Speaker 4: What is up, Dolphins?
Speaker 3: And welcome to the Draft Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going, everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield and on today's show, so yeah, I did just run across the room for that. What's up Dolphins? I want to see how it sounds. I think I'm going to keep it in on today's show.
Speaker 4: The great BJ Kissel.
Speaker 3: You guys don't want to miss this podcast because well you're already here, so am I telling you this? But Bj worked for the Chiefs and now has his own Kansas City Sports podcasting network, which is pretty cool, pretty cool if you ask me. We'll talk to him about Dolphins and Chiefs. We'll pick the week nine games, We'll hear from the assistant coaches, all of that and more from somewhere in South Florida.
Speaker 4: This is the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 3: Maye no wasting time. My guest today from CAC Sports Network, Bj Kissel. I am very excited for my guest today. He is BJ Kissel, founder and CEO of the Kansas City Sports Network. Formerly he was me of the Chiefs. He got his ring back in twenty twenty and Bj, it's been a long time, my man. I have so many questions for you, But first, how are you.
Speaker 5: I'm doing well. I appreciate this. Travis is going to talk to you. And any time you can bring memories of Miami. I'll always think fondly of Miami and the stadium because that's where the Chiefs won the Super Bowl against San Francisco, one of the greatest professional moments.
Speaker 2: Of my life.
Speaker 5: So I always have a soft spot there and always enjoy talking with you, man.
Speaker 3: Like I told you, man, million questions regarding the launch of k CS and in your career today. But we'll take that off the air after this question, because I'm curious to know as someone who won the ring with the team but then also got a chance and you know, I wouldn't say you're a fan now, but maybe a little bit more in the fan realm of things to get the ring in that capacity, How would you compare those two?
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's completely different.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: So much of what we're.
Speaker 5: Doing now is about you know, time and just understanding the kind of the landscape of sports media and kind of leaning into the platforms of where people are going right now, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's not a unique thing. There's a lot of people doing it around the country. You know.
Speaker 5: We were able to when we launched Case Sports Network do it with a lot of you know, friends, a lot of people I've known for a really long time and some really great people. Uh, and it's able to it's been able to grow pretty quickly. But yeah, it's been an interesting journey for me, starting off as a blogger on the outside, working my way up to you know, insider on the sideline of a Super Bowl, and then stepping away from that and putting some other things, my family, you know, seeing my kids and not traveling quite as much some of those things. I've been nothing to positive things to say about the organization and my time there. But you know, in your position, it's it's a demanding position, and it asked a lot of you.
Speaker 2: Uh and for me, it was just it was the right time.
Speaker 5: It was right when COVID kicked up, and yeah, I had a phenomenal opportunity, phenomenal people who work there, and yeah, I feel blessed of had that opportunity and love what we're doing now, Love what I'm doing now with people i'm doing it with.
Speaker 2: But uh, yeah, it's been a crazy journey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of that family time, I was supposed to go to journey this week, our our babysitter fell through.
Speaker 4: Was going to be a whole me and my wife thing.
Speaker 3: But then the babysitter falls through and I got to do trick or treating last night. So not about trade off there with the little ones. Let's go ahead and talk about some football here though, because we have a massive, massive game and you guys have played in a lot of these over the last you know, six plus years or whatever it is, and the Dolphins are kind of getting their feet wet in these massive games against you know, fellow contenders.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and start here, BJ.
Speaker 3: You know, new offensive corrior this year in an offense that you know is built around Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes, but there is a new OC there and you've got a lot of turnover at their wide receiver position in the last couple of years as well. Do you think the Chiefs have kind of used these first two months as a bit of a like filling out period, like who are we type of period? And if so, to get through that at six and two, that to me sort of speaks to the spoiled nature of Chiefs fans the last half decade plus.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you said that, and now I will not take a fan. And to answer from earlier, yes, I'm absolutely a fan. I was a fan before I was a fan when I was working there. I grew up a Chiefs fan. I grew up in Kansas City, and so it was a natural transition for me and everywhere I've been to just be myself, share my feelings about things as I genuinely am optimistic and want things to get better.
Speaker 2: And I like what you said there about just kind of.
Speaker 5: The spoiled nature of Chiefs fans, because we've definitely heard it this week. You know, we've talked a lot locally about, you know, the young wide receivers. It was a storyline from the beginning. I don't know how much the OC has to do with it. That would be more like behind the scenes of knowing what those dynamics are like. Eric Binemy was beloved in Kansas City, but so was Matt Naggy outside of anywhere but Chicago. People are gonna tell you positive things about Matt Naggy and what he's brought, and I believe Patrick Mahomes will tell you the same thing, that he's a value add in there, not any more or less than than the enemy in that way. But the big storyline for the Chiefs offense and kind of the feeling out period, as you said, we kind of all knew this. I was on the bandwagon of they need a veteran receiver this offseason, whether it was Odell Beckham who they were linked to, or DeAndre Hopkins who they were linked to. You know, financially, they can only do so much on and get creative with the cap and do different things but they kind of bet on this young receiving group developing. They whether or not us fans on the outside have sped up what we want to see that development process look like or whether it's in the line with what they expected. Only Coach Reid and the guys in the room could probably tell you that, But from the outside, I won't.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna see here and.
Speaker 5: Say I'm completely surprised at what we're seeing, because you know, we've talked a lot about this over the last couple of weeks, specially you know, so far this week. But you know you are asking those those six and they kept seven wide receivers on the roster this year. You know, for the Chiefs, you were asking every one of those guys to be better than they've ever been in their career, which is a big ask to make everybody step forward in order for your offense to function the way that you are accustomed to seeing them function.
Speaker 2: And so much.
Speaker 5: And I don't know anything about Mike McDaniel's other than to your point, he seems like a really fun guy to cover. I think I would love covering Mike McDaniel in his just sarcastic way of doing that gets just exactly what's needed right now in my opinion, with the way sports media and social media and all that like, it's a perfect fit there. But you know, with Andy Reid's offense, so much of what they put on these receivers isn't necessarily They call play and they know what route they're running. You know, they run out and they read where the linebackers are. They read what the coverage is and that dictates whether it's a ten yard rout or a five yard out, whether it's a slant put like all the different things. There's option routes within all of these things, and they all have specific responsibilities to pull safeties, pull linebackers away from other areas to create space for guys to be open. Well, if one guy is off on that, it changes everything about where Patrick Mahomes expects defenders to be. It's a very fluid type thing. I know Chris Conley years ago said that Andy Reid's offense is a fluid thing and it's always changing. There's an answer for everything, but it puts a lot on those young receivers. So even going into the trade deadline, the point was it's going to be really hard for them to trade for even the most talented receiver in the NFL to come in and pick up this offense right away. All they could really do is kind of what they did with the Canarius Tony last year when they traded for him, was they give him a certain package set of plays that they learn, and he knows those plays. Chiefs are a position where they need somebody to go out there and get open against zone, get open against man, and know the rules within the offense, and b where Patrick Mahomes expects. Haven't seen it from the young group yet. All of the analytics, the numbers back that up. The things that we see on the field are backing that up. But it's not dire because there's still a top ten offense. It's just not the everything's being let on fire that we've come to see, kind of like what we're seeing down to Miami. It seems like, yeah, so I think they're going to get there. They have all the pieces in place that they need. Outside of some young receivers believing they can get there. The people in the room think they can get there. They were drafted for a reason, they're there for a reason. It's just you haven't seen that development yet. And that's going to be the storyline for the Chiefs for the rest of the regular season.
Speaker 3: This is why you were the perfect guest to get off with the show today because my next question was, you know, I haven't started the Chiefs like up close personal since twenty twenty, the last time the Dolphins played against KC down here in Miami. And the first thing I noticed was, like, all these concepts that I recognize. You know, there's certain route combinations that you've seen across the entire National Football League, and then all of a sudden, Travis Kelsey just stops doing what you think is supposed to happen on that play and goes somewhere else or turns over the wrong shoulders. It's fascinating to watch because he does that, you're thinking that's a broken play. But then the Hoomes is like, somehow telepathically on the same page. But it sounds like you're telling me that's the entire offense, which would make sense of why it is difficult for younger players. And my preview podcast, I talked about how the Chiefs receiving corps is essentially rebuilt over the last two years. Everyone from that's playing right now has been acquired over the last couple of seasons. So do you think that that is the I guess you kind of answered them already, but it's beyond just Kelsey who does that.
Speaker 5: It sounds like, yeah, no, they all do it, but this year specifically, I don't know if Travis Kelsey, like, I'm sure they call it play and he has a route, but I think him home just kind of understand. And I've joke because you see like the next gen stats graphics that come out that show like routes and Kelsey's are just like a bunch of.
Speaker 4: Zigs like actual routes.
Speaker 5: It's not a route like you look at you like, there's no way that that's a drawn route. Anybody's ever anything like, there's no way that's the actual route. But it's him just kind of running out there reading that He's basically doing what Mahomes is doing in the pocket.
Speaker 2: He's just doing it.
Speaker 5: He's running down the field and they'll just turn around and get open and he and Patrick Mahomes just have that thing where they understand where each other, you know, need to be. And I've said before that you know both of those guys, Travis Kelsey, Patrick Mahomes. They get all the credit in the world for the highlights, and we talk about the things that they've done, but it's the mental side of understanding the game, understanding what defensers are trying to do, that has probably never gotten enough credit and has been more instrumental in their success than the physical attributes. And I think Travis Kelsey's game, if that guy wants to play till he's in his forties, he can lose all the athleticism in the world, but he's got enough to get open because he knows how to read a coverage. He knows, you know, where to kind of wiggle and where to kind of press on. The different rules of defense is these guys study the defense as much as they study, you know, their offense. At this point, they know what these guys on the defense are being taught to do in certain situations and they know how to exploit it. And so you see a lot of Patrick Mahomes and Travis Keller. He just runs across the middle and those you know, a five to seven yard route. But yeah, it's it's definitely a different look for the Chiefs offense. I mean, ever, you know, since Tyreek Hill left, you know, I saw stat you know this past week that Markquez Valdez Scantling caught a touch It's like a forty seven yard touchdown a couple weeks ago on a broken play, and it was the first touchdown pass that Patrick Mahomes had thrown over twenty yards in the air since the beginning of the twenty twenty one season.
Speaker 2: And that was that blew my mind to think about that.
Speaker 5: And you look at his like deep passing like that, the twenty yards or more air yards from the first few years of his career to now completely different. They've re kind of revamped that offense. And it's a testament to Andy Reid's testament to Patrick Mahomes. They don't have, you know, the most explosive player in NFL history on their roster anymore. He's down with you guys, you know, being a frontrunner for the MVP right now. But it's it's a bit of credit to them, but also it's been a maturation process for Chiefs fans that are accustomed to just bombs all over the place that hey, it's gonna look a little different now. And honestly, right now they're leaning more in their defense and their defense has been much better than it's been at any point in Patrick Mahomes's career. And so it's a give and take. It's that complimentary football. But yeah, again it goes back to those young receivers. And you know this week I didn't necessarily call him out, but markquez Veld that Scantling is to me the guy who needs to step up. He's a veteran in that room. He's been in the system as long as anybody. Somebody needs to step up and start taking some of those big targets, and that guy has not yet emerged outside of Travis Kelsey.
Speaker 3: You once again have answered my next question here, Bex. I was gonna ask you which guy you want to look at with the rest of the eligibles in terms of who the Dolphin should pay attention to beyond Travis Kelcey. And you know I always start these shows by asking the opposing reporter or you know, analyst about the opposing core. But and no slide to Mahomes. I just don't think it's necessary because I know what we're getting. I know he's probably the best of all time in my opinion, to play this position, to play this sport, And so I think that the statue gave me about the you know, twenty air yard throws. To me, that's a credit to him in terms of the maturation of his you know, his development as a quarterback. You know, we see Josh Allen has kind of taken that same approach where teams are saying, you're not going to get the deep ball, and if you don't have a guy who can run through bracket coverages like we have down here every single week for a long touchdown, it makes it a little bit tougher. So you allude to the tough defense the Chiefs have played this year. I'll go ahead and skip forward to that because.
Speaker 5: And I'll throw this in there. I think MVS needs Mark weez Vel. This gaantly needs to be the one to step up because he's getting his cap hits at eleven million dollars. The entire Chiefs cap hit room outside of him is nine and a half. I mean, he is the one guy getting paid in that room. Somebody's got to step up. I think he should be doing more. But what we've seen on the field is that Patrick Holhomes trust Justin Watson. If he's throwing the ball deep, he will give Justin Watson a fifty to fifty ball chance to go make a play. So if he's gonna throw it deep, chances are better than not that it's going to go to eighty four. It's gonna go to Justin Watson and then Rashie Rice number four. The rookie has been a guy across the middle that has made some plays and stepped up for the Chiefs. But again, you're asking a lot of some young receivers who haven't proven.
Speaker 2: To be able to do that yet.
Speaker 5: They can't prove it until they have the opportunity to go out there and make the plays. But Justin Watson, he was banged up for a little bit and miss some time with injury, and now he's back, he might be the chiefs number one wide receiver. Which is crazy is there are a lot of fans here locally that didn't think, they didn't want him to even make the roster, and as it looks right now, he's one of the guys that Patrick Mahomes you can tell trust.
Speaker 4: Yes, cause you mentioned it's funny how it goes.
Speaker 3: You have Sky Moore, a second round draft pick, You trade a mid draft pick for Cadarius Tony, You go out and you put the big free agent tag on Marquez Valdez Scandling, and sometimes it just works out that way where somebody else rises up and becomes that guy. And you know I mentioned the defense or you mentioned the defense and the previous answer, I think it starts with Chris Jones IoT. That would be foolish to go anywhere else with this defense. Just want to get your take on the attention that he commands and kind of who benefits the most from all that he does, because he's one of these players where you know, you can be a guy who eats up double teams and your production goes down. It's an impactful game even though your stat sheet is an impactful but he does that and still impacts the stat sheet. Tell us about Chris Jones and the impact he has.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a game wrecker. He's been every bit as advertised. I think he's probably coming off what and I haven't seen the reports or you know, the presidents with him, but probably his worst game so far this year. He had been so dominant that coming off the Denver game didn't make the same kind of impact that we had seen in other games this season.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he opens up everything.
Speaker 5: You go back and watch a lot of the highlights so far, the last couple of games of Charles Amenehu, who's probably the biggest free agent pickup for the Chiefs, defensively on what he can do athletically with the stunts, the twists and is it just athleticism along the defensive line that he's going to be one of the guys who really benefits from a lot of the attention that Chris has gotten. Haven't seen or I don't have a ton of examples, just because he did serve a six game suspension to start the season, but some of the highlights in the games of the last few weeks defensively, some interceptions inside the red zones and Keith third down stops. Most of it is because and you go back and watch the all twenty two and you see what's going on. There's so much attention on Chris that the other guys are wreaking havoc. And one particular instance inside the red zone, it was Charles amenne who got put one on one right guards slid over to help with Chris Jones. Because Chris will move around, Chris will basically get to choose on third downs, which offensive lineman. He lines up over and then everybody kind of adjusts to that. But it's all predicated on Chris the attention he gets. But can't not mention. George carl loftis the second year edge rusher. He has been phenomenal so far forward the Chiefs this year. I think he's in the top six or eight in pressures quarterback pressures according to Pro Football Focus. Just had two and a half sacks against Denver. I think the Chiefs as a whole are on pace to set a franchise record for sacks this season. Their defensive line is solid. They're banged up at linebacker right now. It's probably one of the bigger outside of wide receivers in just the passing game. The depth at linebacker is going to be something to watch for this one. Willie Gay Junior is out with an injury. We know Nick Bolton broke his wrist. He's out for two months. As their Pro Bowl kind of all everything middle linebacker guy gets everybody set.
Speaker 2: Drew Trankwell has.
Speaker 5: Been phenomenal as an offseason pickup for the Chiefs and extremely valuable that he was added. But their two best linebackers or two of their three best linebackers are down and will probably likely not play against Miami, so that's something. And then the secondary has been great. Trent McDuffie is a blossom star in the NFL. He is a stud at cornerback. Now he's got his work cut out for him obviously against the Dolphins. And then Lagerious Sneed's coming off a tough game. He had four penalties last week against the Broncos, but he generally the one that follows the best receiver, Steve Speckndael likes to do that, and so you'll see thirty eight lined up on those guys, but normally he takes the bigger body guy when you have two lightning fast dudes. I have no idea how they're going to try to contain this offense, but the chief defense has been a surprisingly great storyline so far at a time that they're six and two because of the defense while the offense is still trying to figure things out.
Speaker 3: That's crazy to think about, I mean, because it's it's one of these situations where I look back to, like the Patriots run for two decades, where sometimes it didn't really come together until you know, Halloween or Thanksgiving. It seems like the Chiefs could be in the exact same track where all of a sudden, the defense is really good and the offense is going to figure it out at some point. Like I would not bet against the Chiefs for twenty games or whatever they play this year to not you know, become that explosive version of themselves on offense like they are every single year. It also sounds like maybe for the first time all year, Miami might be on the benefit of the injury report this week because Dolphins are getting some guys back. It sounds like Connor Williams could return, possibly to Ron Armstead, to the offensive line against that Chiefs front that had generated all that pressure. And on the other side, you talk about the Chiefs, you know, receiving Corps child Ramsey's it sounds like xaviering Howard's gonna play Javon Holland's back as well.
Speaker 4: It could be the first game we have with.
Speaker 3: Holland, Ramsey and Xavier Howard in the entire year, So we kind of have that same thing in terms of haven't seen the full compliment, but they're six and two and a great spot heading into a game that to me, BJ I think this game could determine home field advantage in the AFC.
Speaker 4: It's that big of a game, you know, at this point of the year.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and finish with this though, because you touched on all the defensive positions and great stuff there. I'm curious see what it looks like without Nick Bolton. But you know, Steve Spagnolo is one of the famed pressure creators in the National Football League's history, whether it's those Giants teams and just sending flour man rushers and getting a Super Bowl championship out of it, or the Chiefs team that likes to blitz so much with you know, last year cover zero blitzer.
Speaker 4: This year it seems to be more fire zones.
Speaker 3: Just tell me what you think it looks like on Sunday, because, like you mentioned, this offense, if you blitz them, you can get burned if you hang back, like it's tough to deal with this offense offense, What do you think we see on Sunday?
Speaker 5: You know, if I had the answer to that question, I would be to court it. What I would do, honestly as I would blitz the ever lovin out of them.
Speaker 2: I don't care if you get burned.
Speaker 5: If you sit back there long enough, Tyreek jayl those guys they're gonna run through your brackets, They're gonna run through your zones. And the more, if you get the ball out of his hands, you have a chance to rally tackle and bring him down or cause some sort of disruption. I always like the pressure. That's why I love Steve Spegnolo's defensive coordinarty. He's not afraid to go zero and just send the house. It's a lot easier said than done when you're dealing with the speed that they've got in the background. To put those guys in one on one, I wouldn't expect necessarily a ton of cover zero against this group because of what they can do with them. You know, one on one is a tough situation. It's a lot to ask, but you put a couple of safeties back and you do a lot of zone blitzer, try to get the ball out of his hands and then come up and make tackles. It's probably their best bet. But again, they have had some success getting pressured.
Speaker 2: Just with the four guys.
Speaker 5: He's not afraid to send the pressure, especially get into those shot areas. You get into the you know, thirty to fifty yard like thirty thirty yard line to midfield. It's when the Dolphins like to take shots, when all NFL teams like to take those deep shots. It's also when Spags likes to send the house. So that part of it, I'm fascinated to see how they try and attack it. Not go to say last week was a trap game. Whenever things like this happen where the Chiefs kind of have their backs against the wall.
Speaker 2: We've seen it during Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 5: We all kind of get sucked into the I don't feel good about this, and then they come out and play really well. I wouldn't expect you know, that game against the Broncos last week, it was the first time in forty one consecutive games that the Chiefs had lost by more than a possession, or been down by even more than a possession, I think, or something like that.
Speaker 2: That wasn't that. I think it was lost by more than a possess. It is crazy stat that Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid had together. But I think you're exactly right. I think that there's a good.
Speaker 5: Chance at this game will determine in some very impactful way who has home field advantage. The Chiefs, obviously hosting it five straight years, would love to continue hosting a Patrick Mahomes never played in an AFC Championship game anywhere but Arrowood Stadium.
Speaker 2: But we'll see what happened.
Speaker 3: And maybe you can come back to South Florida and enjoy our beautiful facilities once again inn AAFC Championship game this time around, perhaps and maybe look at the same result this time though.
Speaker 4: Will still that's a long way down the road.
Speaker 3: I always end these conversations the exact same way, and you've been grace so far, BJ, so I appreciate your time today. But the Chiefs will win this game if and the Dolphins will win this game if and then you kind of round out those blanks for us.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, Okay, Chiefs will win this game if they do not turn the ball over. I think that's probably more. The Chiefs will absolutely not win if they do turn it over, as opposed to guarantee they will if they don't, and then the Dolphins will win this game. I'll say the same thing if they don't turn it over. I think giving either one of these offenses extra possessions is going to be a detriment to the other. I think both offenses will score. I think, you know, as much as we've seen the Chiefs offense struggle again, when Andy Reid gets in these positions and he has time, they'll put a game play together that could be successful.
Speaker 2: Now, how much is that.
Speaker 5: Leaning on the development of the young receivers and just making them do what's right or pivoting and saying, Okay, we're gonna change some things up, simplify some things to go find success. No one's gonna question Andy Reid in that regard. So I'm excited to see how much better they get because you know, he's banked on this group and he's one of the best coaches in NFL history for a reason. He's an offensive genius in that way. I'm not unlike a young Mike McDaniel right now in the way that he's being described. So I'm really excited for this game. I'm excited that it's early, get up, get it done, get it taken care of, and then have the rest of your day with the kiddos. But it's gonna be a good one. It's crazy to me that Germany gets the NFL Game of the Year. The regular season Game of the Year yea, and not that game playing an Arrowhead. But it's gonna be a fun one, man.
Speaker 3: So much of those conversation BJ is like looking in a mirror in terms of the way you see the game and just your overall thoughts and comments on your team and the Dolphins as well. We're really good stuff, man, BJ. Kissel case Sports Network, excellent content over there on all things Chiefs, Royals, Wildcats, Sporting Casey.
Speaker 4: We get that far.
Speaker 5: Into it, yeah, Sporting That's why I said I'm excited for Sunday because the Chiefs game at eight they are obviously Chiefs Dolphins at eight thirty, and we've got a big soccer game, the playoff game two against Saint Louis at four o'clock on Sunday afternoon, and then Sporting Casey can advance in the playoffs against a Newish rival. The Saint Louis brought their soccer team back, but can't see Saint Louis has got the rivalry going on. So there's been a lot of trash talk so far between the fan bases. So I got some soccer, and I'm not a huge soccer guy, but obviously with the network. We've got great soccer content with our hosts over there, and they've been mixing it up with the Saint Louis fans, So it's going to be a fun one.
Speaker 3: And maybe one of these days MESSI coming to a town near you from inter Miami as well.
Speaker 4: Great stuff, PJ.
Speaker 3: Appreciate your time today, Man, keep up the great work. It's awesome to see you thriving and killing him.
Speaker 2: Man appreciate it.
Speaker 4: And away he goes.
Speaker 3: Just a really big fan of what BJ has done in his post Chiefs career. Pretty cool to hear him talk about how they've grown and how they've established a foothold there in the CAC sports market.
Speaker 4: Pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and take our last break right there. Come back on the other side, we'll hear from Vic FANGI owned Frank Smith and pick the week nine games. That's next Drivetime podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation, Segment three here on a Thursday, ahead of week nine kicking off tonight. We'll pick the games here in just one second, but first let's go ahead and hear from both Vic FANGI own Frank Smith and before I play their soundbites, the disparity in their experience in Germany, and Frank Smith has German heritage, but the difference in their answers about how special it was to go over there. Vic basically saying just another game for me. I go to the practice field, I go to the hotel, and then Frank kind of wax poetic about the experience of plague in Germany. I just thought it was the perfect description of both of those men and how they view things. Let's go ahead and pick this up though, with Frank Smith, who touched on Tyreek Hill and the impact that he's had in this Dolphins offense, who, by the way, is your AFC Offensive Player of the Month. He's the second Dolphin to win the award this year, Tua back in September. So after thirty years between Scott Mitchell and Tua hoisting the award for Miami, Miami had a whole month off before getting the award again. Frank Smith asked about Tyreek Hill's impact on the offense and today's press conference here is the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Oc his work ethic and how competitive he is. He's just every day's commitment towards maximizing his time and just being the best player and the best he can be. So seeing him in all those years in division and just you know, really hoping he wasn't going to have a day, it's just awesome to be on the same side of the ball for him for the last two years.
Speaker 3: How about your quarterback, Frank, What does Tua does that makes him so special? And there was a great chart that came out on Thursday morning over here in the States where somebody said, oh, so surprised to see two was one of the top quarterbacks after his first read. It's like, yeah, it's because you have narratives that you want to portray and you're just wrong about the quarterbacks. Let's go ahead and hear from Frank Smith on what makes this quarterback one of the best in the National Football League.
Speaker 1: The way he sees the game is you know, it's really you know, one of his gifts. So I think ultimately is he's grown within the system and within what we're trying to do here with everyone. I don't you know, you just see him really just taking things in. His understanding and his communication, everything just keeps growing and growing and growing. So ultimately, it's like, you know, the challenges, you know each week you know, trying to really improve uproblem what you did last week. And I mean between whether it's tour the whole, you know, composite of the whole offense. I mean, that's just an approach that everyone has. And you know, it's great when your quarterback has that mindset of every day to attack and make the.
Speaker 2: Best of it.
Speaker 3: Two more here for the Dolphins OC First, the Chiefs defense. What makes them so productive as they've found their way into being a top ten unit this year, it.
Speaker 1: Seems they're playing very well together. You know, ultimately the last couple of years there, they've had a lot of success. You know, the you know, the players they got, they seem to have a very good understanding of the system, communicating together, working together real well. So it could be a tough challenge for us this Sunday, and we're really looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: And we'll go ahead and close up with that comment I mentioned earlier about going to Germany and the atmosphere he expects on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Here's Frank Smith.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I mean doing two London games, the atmosphere is fantastic. So here with being the first game of Frankfurt Magic, it's going to be fent to be very much similar to a playoff game in America, So looking forward to the energy and just seeing what it's going to be like. But there's playing in these games has really been an awesome experience for all of us been able to be a part of it. So we're really looking forward to it and enjoying it.
Speaker 3: Vic Fangio was asked two questions that I thought were worth putting in the podcast. One, how do you stop Travis Kelcey And how do you stop Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 4: I'm going to run those back to back for y'all.
Speaker 5: Right here.
Speaker 6: He lines up all over the place, so occasionally that could happen with him and Jalen. He's tough, you know, he's a great tight end. He runs really good routes, him in the quarterback, have great karma together, you know, especially as plays extend, and he's tough to you know, stop totally there. He's caught over a hundred balls how many years in a row, so really nobody's figured that out.
Speaker 4: And Mahomes, you know.
Speaker 6: Just trying to keep him from having a unbelievable game, you know, he's always played well, you know, and try and hopefully limit the improvised plays, you know, where he starts scrambling around making great throws on the run, guys getting open him pulling the ball down and running it himself for critical first downs. You know, he's he's really tough. You know, you got to defend the play they call in the huddle, which is hard enough, and then you have to defend the play that he creates after the first one breaks down.
Speaker 3: A little bit. Every week I do these picks, and I cut the primetime music to go along with the picks. I always just record the audio first, a rip it, I should say, and then I kind of try to pair it up to the voice recording I do, and so if it doesn't match, I apologize. And last week I was sick and I forgot to add the music, and so I think I called for music and then didn't play it. So you know, sometimes this one man operation, some things fall through the cracks.
Speaker 4: But I digress.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and continue here with the Week nine NFL picks. Go ahead and cue the music right there market at seven seventy five on my bars on garage band.
Speaker 4: You guys won't record on garage band?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: And I am sure huh. So I was trying to hit seventy two percent this year to reflect the nineteen seventy two Miami Dolphins who went seventeen to zero. But we have fallen well short of that goal at eighty three and thirty nine with sixty eight percent of the picks. Right, the seven win weeks will do that last week eleven and five. You want to be twelve and four on those sixteen game weeks. This week we have how many buys do we have this week? Doing some live research here on the Drive Time podcast. Four buys That means games minus for deams, means for dean games. So a chance to get over ninety wins here with a seven win week, we don't want that. We got to go ten and four's that's the goal here. So let's go ahead and start tonight now. Cue the music at Bar number eight hundred tonight Thursday Night football. I choose to not buy into a rookie quarterback after their first night breakout performance to follow it up, and even though I think the Steelers are like you want to talk about the word fraud, like I don't believe in that so much.
Speaker 4: But the Steelers at four and three.
Speaker 3: And then after I pick them here to go five and three. You want to talk fraud, that's a fraud. I don't know how that team has won that many games, but I'm taking them tonight to get to five and three. At the midway point on Sunday morning, you already know I'm taking the dolph and over the Chiefs. I do hope we don't have to see two backup guards, though hopefully Rob Hunt can get out there on Friday's practice and be good to go for Sunday.
Speaker 4: But right now not looking great.
Speaker 3: Take me Falcons over the Vikings. There are a lot of teams in the league right now that have quarterbacks that I just like I say, cannot play.
Speaker 4: I do not believe in the Vikings ability to win with Jaron Hall.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe Josh Dobbs gives them some hope and some of these bad teams down the stretch. But the Falcons with Taylor Heineke was a good move. I still don't love the quarterback position there in general.
Speaker 4: That was to me, the biggest what's that I'm looking for here? That was the biggest like what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Of the entire Austagon was them in Washington not getting better quarterbacks because I thought Washington and Atlanta bullp had good rosters, but they went into the year with Sam Hallen as a rigorous number one is unchallenged.
Speaker 4: Big mistake.
Speaker 3: So give me the Falcons there, Give me the Saints over the Bears. Talk about a team that can't win because the quarterback can't.
Speaker 4: Play, well, that's the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 3: Give me the Rams over the Packers. And unless there's no Matt Stafford, then I flipped that. I'm pretty excited about my quarterback track record. But Jordan Love, I will say the Packers offense is like very prehistoric, which is a bad sign for Matt Laflirt. And so I'm not gonna say that Jordan Love cannot play. I think that he can play, but right now we just can't in this offense. So unless Matt Stafford sits out, I'm taking the Rams. But if he does sit out and taking the Packers Patriots over Washington, I think things are about to get very ugly in the nation's capital. After trading away two of their best players, and Jonathan Allen was already pissed off about losing games before he might be just great shot things down over there. I wouldn't say that he would quit on his team, but I can see him being like, f this stuff. Give me the Ravens over the Seahawks in a game that hopefully goes the opposite way. But Seattle traveling east against what I think is a very very good Baltimore team. Give me Lamar and the team in purple.
Speaker 4: Texans over Bucks. I was very conflicted here.
Speaker 3: But ultimately I think Baker Mayfield has worn out his welcome already watching that game on Thursday night when he spelled on clean pockets. The minute quarterbacks start bailing on clean pockets, that's when Travis starts to bail on said quarterbacks. C J.
Speaker 4: Stroud does not become He's a lead in the pond.
Speaker 3: Drive day.
Speaker 4: Maybe the Texans over the Bucks.
Speaker 3: Give me the Browns over the Cardinals. Hey, quarterbacks who can't play Clayton tune cool man, you're gonna go to Cleveland and that crappy weather against that great defense.
Speaker 4: I was really trying to pick Arizona here, but they don't want to win, so we'll go ahead and get the Browns the dub.
Speaker 3: Give me the Colts over the Panthers, you know, cool to get their first win last week for Bryce Young and Frank Reich, But I think they're gonna runt gotten to benche in this one and go back to the losing ways. Giants over the Raiders. I mean, I'm not picking the Raiders the rest of the way.
Speaker 4: Think you can see why. Eagles over the Cowboys. I would like a redaction on my Super.
Speaker 5: Bowl pick in the NFC.
Speaker 2: I picked the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys to beat the Eagles in the NFC Championship Game and that was stupid. Give me the Bengals over the Bills on Sunday Night football. Can you guys imagine a world where we win on Sunday morning and the Bills lose on Sunday night? Can you imagine that over the Chiefs and over the Bengals? Who, buddy, that would be nice for us? And then Monday Night. Very conflicted here because I think the Jets can really put it too quarterback who doesn't see the field very well and Justin Herbert. But I think that the Jets quarterback is in that same category as Clayton Tune as well as Jaron Hall.
Speaker 4: So give me the Chargers on the road on Monday Night football.
Speaker 3: All right, that's your podcast. We're gonna go ahead and come back tomorrow. I have a special guest from the German Dolphins fan Club. He is the founder of the German Dolphins Fan Club. So you want to don't want to miss that. I'm not sure if I have another like primetime guest. I'm supposed to hear back, so I'll let you guys know. You know, I'll tease on Twitter if I get one. But in the meantime, today it's gonna be my time. You all, please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, wherever you get your podcasts from. Go ahead and leave us that rating, leave us that review. You can follow me on social at Wingfield NFL, follow the team at Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 4: Check out my.
Speaker 3: Guys Seth and Juice on the fish Tank podcast, as well as us together on the postgame show the minute the game hits triple zeros. You can hear us on the iHeart app on one oh five nine FM and nine forty AM here in South Florida, and of course the YouTube channel Free Media Availabilities Dolphins a Day and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com.
Speaker 4: Until next time, Finza Carolina and camera, and daddy. He's already home.