Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick. And once again October content has spilled over the edge of the month.
Speaker 2: That's right. In today's episode, we're continuing our Halloween twenty twenty four express with an episode that was originally scheduled for late October, but our episode on the Hogs of Hell went a little long, ended up going to two episodes, so we bumped this one back a bit. It's a topic we've touched on briefly before, but it's a great one, taking us back to the world of oceanic monsters of myth and legend. We're going to be talking about the siren.
Speaker 3: The siren, so I realized, Rob correct me if I'm wrong, But I realized, I think we both had we had different theeomorphic hybrids in my and when we were separately thinking about the siren. Because when I thought of the siren, I first thought of sort of half woman, half bird creatures that sing to the sailors. But I get the impression that your mind first went to half human, half fish. So I guess those are both within the siren tradition, aren't they?
Speaker 2: They are. This is one of the things about the siren, as we'll discuss, is that there are takes on them in which they are essentially mermaids. It's essentially some version of the European North European mermaid tradition. There are versions of it in which they are just sort of beautiful ladies who sing sailors to their death, that sort of thing. And then other times they are essentially what we might think of as a harpie, you know, they are a winged creature, perhaps like an all out vulture type being, with even just the head of a maiden or the face of a maiden.
Speaker 3: But in either case, I think we're to assume that their voices may be lovely, but they sing sailors to their doom.
Speaker 2: Yes, And that's one thing we can be sure on when we look to really the most famous literary account of the sirens, but also the one that continues to raise a lot of questions because it does skim over some of the details. As we'll discuss, we are, of course talking about Homer's the Odyssey. I'm just going to read a quote here. This is from the Samuel Butler translation. I believe this is Circe warning Odysseus and his men about the challenges ahead. First, you will come to the sirens, who enchant all who come near them. If anyone unwarily draws in too close and hears the singing of the sirens, his wife and children will never welcome him home again, for they sit in a green field and warble him to death with the sweetness of their song. There is a great heap of dead men's bones lying all around, and the flesh still rotting off them.
Speaker 3: Number one, that's intense. Number two does not describe them physically, and number three warbled to death.
Speaker 2: Warbled to death. You know which, if you got to go, why not choose warbling? Why not? So this is you know, considered, You know this is This is probably the most famous literary description and non description of the sirens. But we have a lot of other materials that have depicted the sirens, described them or depicted them visually that also sort of compete with our imaginations here and end up in This is often the case with these things ends up coloring our absorption of Homer's original writings. We've had some great cinematic sirens over time, we've have, for example, to get into the adaptations of the Odyssey itself. There, of course the Three Sirens and No Brother, Where art thou? The three strange women that appear as beautiful washer women singing go to sleep, Little Baby. They of course lure in del Mar and turn him into a horny toad sort of.
Speaker 3: Wait does he get turned back? I haven't seen this movie in a while.
Speaker 2: Well, he doesn't. Actually, we end up finding out later that he was never turned into a horny toad. He was captured by authorities because he was wanted.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and they find him again in the movie theater Do Not Seek the Treasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, it's a great sequence in the film, a lot of laughs, and it works nicely in comparison to the theme of baptism that's also employed in the work. Elsewhere in cinema, we tend to see the idea of sirens employed more in terms of the evil mermaid. You want to have a mermaid, but you want an evil one. Well, you lean into this idea of the siren. Just a few quick mentions, and I'm missing a lot of them. I'm sure there's two thousand and one's Daygone. This is the Stuart Gordon film you have neat Split Tail that kidnaped Mermaids. In that, There's a two and another two thousand and one film titled She Creature that I have not seen since two thousand and one, but I remember having a nice little cast to it, and also having a monstrous mermaid. More recently, I don't know much about the plot details here, so I don't know where this falls in terms of sirens, but there's a Polish musical horror film titled The Lure that seems to have resonated with a number of viewers. I've seen some nice reviews of that. And then I think we've had at least a couple of different Mermaids slash Siren TV shows in recent decades, but I have not seen them, So we'll have to lean on our listeners to write in and tell us what those are like. Now again, to get back to what we were just talking about earlier, Though sirens are not definitively sea creatures or definitively mermaids, however, it's impossible to separate the two completely, so you know, we do have to acknowledge that to whatever extent. Sirens are based in this idea of undersea creature as well, you know, the idea of people and creatures from beneath the waves. Naturally, it goes back very long ways. As long as humans have gazed out across the waves or peered down through clear waters from the side of their boats, they've dreamed of a mirror world to our own, a place where every animal has its watery reflection, where intelligent human like beings, no doubt dwell as well, along with various monsters and gods and so forth. There is a paper by Nancy Easterlin. This is a two thousand and one paper again back to two thousand and one that we've we cited in a munch Older episode of the podcast titled Hans Christian Andersen's Fish out of Water, and she points out that the Babylonians recognize gods with fish features or hybridity. You have like what Adappa, the fishermen of Oneius, the teacher of wisdom, even Mighty Inky, the ancient Sumerian water god, is sometimes depicted as having a cloak of fish or scaled skin, and the chief place of worship was a ziggurat known as the House of the subterranean waters, and additionally fishtailed gods, water dragons and so forth found throughout the cultures of India, China and Japan and so forth. There's a quote from that Easter paper she writes some other mythological sea beings and deities, such as Poseidon and the Sirens were not originally associated with water and piicine anatomy. The sirens were originally birds. We'll get back to that in a minute, indicating that divine power and womanly allure became combined with the power and promise of the sea when ancient cultures overtook maritime war and trade. So in that paper she gets into a familiar theme on this show when we're talking about deities and supernatural beings, is that, of course they are passed down and they do not stay in one form or another. They are reused, recreated, you know, different different, various relaunches and reboots of the brand over time, and.
Speaker 3: In past episodes we've even talked about reasons for questioning the very idea of such a thing as a canonical form of a deity or a monster or something that you know, that makes sense when you have something like intellectual property like if a monster is the creation of a specific author and they describe it a certain way, and then other people could take the idea and vary it, but you would want to refer back to what is the original one, you know, with like gods and monsters and things that come out of folklore. You know, maybe sometimes it makes sense to say there's basically an authoritative version of a story, but most of the time there's not. Sometimes the characteristics aren't even given in the earliest works that are still extant today. So like searching after the canonical form of the monster or deity or whatever is fruitless. There just is no original that we can access.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we've talked about this before. You get kind of close to this idea when you look at a multi author of franchise, like say Marvel Comics, where you can set you know, you try to explain, like, well, who's Venom. Oh he's a villain of Spider Man. Oh well, no, he's also kind of a hero, he's kind of an anti hero. Oh yeah, And sometimes he's just straight up what we would think I was the protagonist of a story, So it just it changes. And there are probably better examples than Venom to turn to there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think that's a good one, except it's it's like that. But imagine if most Marvel comics were lost and we don't know what they said or what was in them, and we don't know where the first appearance of Venom was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, But coming back to the siren and getting into the Greek traditions here, we as the quote we read earlier attests to we certainly experienced the sirens and Homer's eighths century BCE work The Odyssey, and they are described as malicious, doomy women when we put in asterisk by that woman description, malicious do me entities anyway, who hang out on rocks and sing to passing sailors. But Homer neglects to physically describe them at all. So again, even by just briefly mentioning them as women, I'm airing because he does not ascribe gender to these creatures. But the thing is, it's really hard not to be infected by the various visual treatments of this encounter of these creatures from throughout Western art, you know, which has often served as a great opportunity to create dramatic and evocative scenes that make use of, you know, the the unclothed or partially unclothed male and female bodies. I was talking about this with my son yesterday when I was researching this, and I mentioned to him, and he already knows his way aroun myths and monsters pretty well. I mentioned, you know that that Homer never actually describes them. So they could look like a woman, they could look like a fish monster, they could look like a bird person. We don't know. And he asked, well, could they just be like a banana peal? And I I dare say they could. And he does not say that they do not look like banana peels, and provides no other physical description at all.
Speaker 3: They could literally be Ronald MacDonald.
Speaker 2: They could be. There's nothing in the Odyssey that says they're not. So I was reading a bit more about this in this is an older book. This is older publication. This is from nineteen seventy The Homeric Sirens by Gerald K. Gressith. This was publishing the Transactions and Proceedings of the American Philological Association, and in it the author spends a lot of time talking about what at the time were like two dueling interpretations of the sirens in Homer's the Odyssey, and I think it's interesting to look at them here. So the first one that he references is the idea that the sirens are soul birds, again playing on the idea that in other texts we have the sirens described an Avian term. And the connection here is that they would be representations of the souls of the dead in bird form, an idea that extends back through ancient Egyptian religion. This was an idea champion by the German classical archaeologist Georg Viker. In short, this view sees the sirens as things that emerge from hades and or the grave and as Grethis explains, Homer likely wouldn't have thought that the soul became a bird upon death in this scenario, but he might have been influenced by older ideas still present in art and culture of his time. Okay, then there's this other idea, and that is that the sirens are other world enchantresses. So an idea in this case champion by German archaeologist and translator Ernst Bouscher in response to Vicker arguing that homer sirens are anthropomorphic. This view sees the sirens not as creatures of the afterlife, but as something else that doesn't reside in Hades, though perhaps does resis guide in a different other world and might not even be directly malicious. That's the interesting thing about this kind of view. They might be more in line with muses offering song and information that were just not equipped to resist. We just can't handle a song this beautiful and or information that's tantalizing, and therefore we are just drawn into it. And this actually gets into the vagueness of how they actually bring about these men's dooms, because, as Aggressive points out, we don't have an answer for this in Homer either, and elsewhere, interpretations range from an overt and then the sirens ad him sort of situation to this idea that enraptured individuals just slowly die of exposure on the shores of the sirens, like they're drawn by the song, and then they just, you know, forget to eat, forget to stay out of the sun, and just waste away. And so in that scenario, it's like, well, the muses, like they may not even be entities that are aware of what they are doing. They're just sharing song and information, but we just can't handle it as mortals.
Speaker 3: That's fascinating, and it's funny because the interpretation I always just had in the back of my mind isn't even listed there, which is the idea that they sit on the rocks and they sing to the sailors and they draw the sailors in close, and the ship's wreck on the rocks and the sailors drone. I don't know where that idea came from, but that is what I thought was being described in the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: You know, Like I said, there are a lot of paintings of the sirens and or Odysseus, and I think they also almost at times subliminally charge one's understanding of this scenario. And there are several of these that I think I've just seen most of my life. There are a couple in particular that pop up in the time Life Enchanted World book series, of course makes use of a lot of excellent original art, but also a lot of classic art as well too. In particular, John William Waterhouse is the Siren from nineteen hundred. This is a like a vertical piece in which there is a nude woman with a harp some kind of or is this a lute?
Speaker 3: I believe it's a liar's Yeah, yeah, there you go, U shaped stringed instrument.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So she's playing it on the rocks, and there down in the water below her is an enraptured male, like a youthful male, who looks like he is probably going to drown. And so like, I think this really matches up with your read on it, and you know, I often I think thought about it in similar terms looking at these images, like the sirens just draw you in and then you know, stuff happens, but it's not like they're biting into you or anything that's right.
Speaker 3: But she in this in the waterhouse painting, the siren does not look malicious. She does not look like she's even really attempting to lure him. She's just kind of there existing, And he is up to his neck in the water, clearly about to die, looking like he has this combination of just joy and tear or yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the other piece that was definitely in the Enchanted World series is Herbert James Draper's nineteen oh nine painting Ulysses and the Sirens. This is a very captivating piece in which you see the familiar scenario that I may again describe her in a second where, of course, how does Odysseus how does he get past the sirens? Well, of course he clogs the ear holes of all of his men with wax, and then he himself is strapped to the mast of the ship, and then they just keep moving that way. The siren song doesn't infect the oarsman. It infects him, but he can't do anything about it because he's strapped to the mast.
Speaker 3: And this is usually presented as a result of curiosity, like Odysseus wants to hear what the siren song is like, but doesn't want to allow himself under its spell to command his men to do otherwise, so he has himself tied up on purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so in this particular piece by Draper, which you know is widely available you can find it on wiki commons, and so forth, we see, you know, this crazed look on Odysseus's eye. He's completely enraptured, straining against the ropes that bind him. Meanwhile, the naked sirens in this case seemingly seeming to transform out of mermaid form into humanoid form, just like the movie Splash as they crawl on the ship. And of course this is a. This image, of course, like a lot of the later treatments of Sirens, is of course very there's a certain sexual politics to all this and gender politics to it, because it's clearly showing like the feminine form is the aggressively alluring temptation that is coming at the men on the ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it looked There are very different implied situations in these two paintings, Like in the Waterhouse painting, I don't know, you could interpret it multiple ways, but it doesn't look obvious to me. Like I said that the siren is even trying to attract the man, She's just sitting there. She might just be minding her own business. Yeah, and he's raptured. In the second painting, the Draper painting from nine These these are beings that are obviously trying to seduce the men, and they are posed with seductive ill intent.
Speaker 2: Yes, So these are the two that I was most familiar with. But there's a third I want to mention, and this is the Sirens and Ulysses from eighteen thirty seven by William Edie or Eddie I'm not sure which, but this one is also tremendous. I was not familiar with this but in this one, we see the sirens on their rocky island in the foreground, and in the background we see Ulysses send a ship and there's a lot of struggling going on there. But in the foreground the sirens are just kind of like, hey, sirens, party, come on over, guys. And then next to them we see rotting bodies and bones. It's quite quite a quite a scene.
Speaker 3: It is wonderful. But to your point, yeah, I interpret this one more along the lines of the waterhouse painting. There's no indication that that their attention even has anything to do with the men on the ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So I already rolled through the basic scenario with Odysseus and the Odyssey and how they get past the sirens. But we have another encounter, and this one is detailed in the Argonautica from the third century BCE, and this one involves Jason in the Argonauts, how did they defeat the sirens? Well, they brought Orpheus along with them, the most famous bard of Greek mythology, at least as far as mortals go, and his song is even sweeter than the sirens. So you know, they explode or something.
Speaker 3: It's the Devil went down to Georgia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually, as Apollodorus described it, I believe the sweet song of Orpheus causes them to throw them selves into the sea and become rocks. And it would turn out that these were like the terms of their power, that if their song ever failed to enthrall someone, then they have to die. They were done for. And there are similar accounts with the Sphinx as well, you know, like if it's riddle as guest, it has to throw itself off a mountain, that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Wait, now that I said it, I'm trying to remember what happens to the devil at the end of Devil went Down to Georgia. BET's a fiddle of gold against your soul. But what happens if Johnny wins.
Speaker 2: He gets to keep the golden golden.
Speaker 3: Devil's just out of gold fiddle. That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was some I forget who, some stand up comedian I think, was talking about how you know, it's clear that the Devil's music is more impressive in that particular song, we still give the wind to the mortals. But yes, I agree, it is like very much like the Devil goes down.
Speaker 3: To Geordia which text came first. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Now the exact number of sirens fairies. They're like between two and five, depending on what telling you're looking at. They have various names, different there are different takes on their parentage as well. Again, it's just how many there are to begin with, but their exact nature in large part due to Homer being vague about it. This has always been an area of discussion, and apparently it's not the only area that Homer's vague, and for instance, according to Gressith, he never explains that the cyclops as one eye. So I think there are moments like that where we just kind of like assume, like we like we know as the as the reader what it's supposed to be or what it becomes canonized as later. But you can apparently get into discussions with any of this of like, well, what did the original author intend? What was the shape of it? Then?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, then again, they because most of these stories would be drawing on pre existing concepts and stuff, you never know, like what did people just naturally assume when you name a character or type of being, Like what did the reader bring to the reader or listener bring to the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's one thing that Gressi gets into as well, is that you have to end up looking for these answers in the contemporary religion, but also in contemporary folklore, to whatever extent you can pick at it through other sources. Now, I picked up a couple of my favorite monster books for a little more on these sirens, and I was looking at Jorge Luis Borges's Book of Imaginary Beings, and he points out three different traditions. He points out that Avid describes them as golden birds with the faces of virgins. He points out that Paulinius of Rhodes described them as women with the lower half of sea birds. And then much later medieval heraldry and bestiaries tend to present them just as straight up mermaids, again fusing these older classical tellings with Northern European traditions of mermaids. And I think it's this is a reality you just can't get away from. Then, when you keep tugging at siren myths, because the terms are often used interchangeably, like some some tales of the siren, you could sort of maybe make a better case that these are actually mermaid stories. But some of them are very are very juicy, and I just couldn't resist getting into a particular one. This is one that Borges also talks about. This This would have been the sixth century in northern Wales. It is said that a siren was caught and baptized, eventually becoming a saint in some traditions, by the name of Murgan or Murrgan, which I believe means Seaborn. She was reportedly carried to her baptism in a vat, and I believe and this is also tied to an Irish legend of lie Bon, and in fact I often I have elsewhere seen this character referenced as li Bon Murrgan, for example. I've also seen Morgan described as an early discredited saint, so I don't know if I don't believe that she is officially a saint in the Catholic Church. This would have been around what five eighty eight CE, I think, But she had a feast day at one point, and it was January twenty seventh, which I think is also devoted to various other saints and so forth.
Speaker 3: This is an interesting story, but I'm thinking about the symbolic implications of the baptism of an animal that lives under the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And it comes back to what we were talking earlier about baptism and sirens and no brother where art thou. There's apparently a more complete telling of this story, and I found it in Carol Rose's Spirits Farries, Leprachauns and Goblins, where this luban murrgan. She starts out as a human, a human daughter of the High King of Ireland and a goddess Iatawan I believe is her name, and she's just a normal human child. But then she is caught in the flood of a sacred spring with her dog and carried to an underwater cavern and she's trapped there for a year. But then she prays that she might be free like the fishes, and so her lower half becomes like a fish, and her dog transforms into an otter.
Speaker 3: Well that is appropriate because otters are good boys.
Speaker 2: Three hundred years later, enter a cleric by the name of BioC and he hears her singing and then you know he's drawn to her singing. So they meet and she asked him to bring her to Saint Comgall, an actual historic saint, and this is where the vat comes into the picture. They throw her in a vat and she is willingly, you brought to the saint so that she may be baptized. But at her baptism she is or upon her baptism she is faced with a choice another three hundred years of life or immediate entry into heaven. So you know, do not pass go directly to heaven. She chooses heaven. So anyway, it's a lovely little little bit of folklore there. I like it quite a bit. And they're apparently depictions of the saint here, Saint leban or Saint Morgan, and yeah, sometimes she's depicted with a crown, yeah quite oh and then and some depictions you also see her order there beside her.
Speaker 3: Oh that's adorable.
Speaker 2: So essentially, you know, we have these Northern European mermaid traditions, not to be confused with similar tales from around the world, merging to some extent with classical tales of sirens, but plenty of winged descriptions remain that ultimately line up more with what you might think of today as a heartbeat. You know, ancient wind spirits eventually transformed into fiends through tellings of Greek myth depending on how you slice it. Harpies and sirens may have been both female bird human hybrids, but of different demeanors. So harpies you can think of more as vengeful cannibal to spoilers, while sirens are alluring, musical beings of temptation and is. If faced with both, you'd need to fight the harpies off with physical weapons, while the siren demands a more cerebral approach. So you know, in some ways, they're kind of if you're looking at them both as avian beings, they're kind of reflections of each other, one targeting the body and the other targeting the mind.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we mentioned earlier the idea of the siren as a feminine monster, and Carol Rose in Giants, Monsters and Dragons discusses this. Briefly points out that in medieval European traditions, the siren takes on various symbolic powers. Quote for her attributed where the comb and the mirror of vanity, the fish or eel symbols of the entrapped Christian soul ensnared by luxury and vice, the small dragon the symbol of her liaison with the devil, and her nakedness taken as a sign of wanton sexuality. So then and to this day, in some depictions we see the siren presented as this monstrous female temptress, a corruptor of menfolk, but also like this, indeed, like something that has been summoned up to test ones resolve. Still, as Rose points out, there were still descriptions of the siren as a bird woman you know, well, you know, out of of the ancient world, pops up in the seventh and eighth century, leaving Monstroum also a twelfth century Latin Bestiaria, which describes them in much more harpy terms as winged, rock dwelling beasts well that will not only lure sailors to their death, but pounce on them with flesh rending talons. And then during the nineteenth century we even see again kind of like bumping up against all of these depictions of sirens as mermaids and naked women in the water, we see John William Waterhouse's eighteen ninety one pain Ulysses and the Sirens. And what do we see here? We see big birds with the heads of women, and they are the ones as sailing ulysses strapped to the mast and his various oarsmen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no ambiguity about their intentions. Here they are swarming the boat.
Speaker 2: Yes these are Yeah, these are definitely aggressive human headed birds here. Waterhouse it would seem drew more on those classical Greek descriptions and depictions on vases and urns rather than what his contemporaries were doing.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because I think it's the same painter, John William Waterhouse that did the siren from nineteen hundred we talked about earlier, the much more haunting an ambiguous image.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't help, but one I don't know much about about the man in his work, and you know who's painting for. But I wonder if with the nineteen hundred someone was like, I'd like you to draw me a siren and no birds this time, John, I wanted to be a lady.
Speaker 3: The one from nine years later does seem a little little more mysterious and maybe mature.
Speaker 2: And to be clear, these are just a few, like very famous examples of sirens and paintings from this period. There are others, So if you have favorites, feel free to send them into us, and you know, I'd love to take a look at them.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, Contact at Stuff to Blow your mind dot com. Get in touch as always. Now, the idea of the siren song luring sailors to their destruction by one means or another got me thinking about nature. I was wondering, are there any predators in nature that have the genuine biological equivalent of a siren song? A sound or a song or a vocalization that lures pray to their doom. And after I did a little digging, I discovered the answer is yes. Apparently it is not very common in nature, at least as far as we know. But there is one excellent example I want to talk about, and this predatory song involves an animal that we just did a series on earlier this year, the cicada. In this case, the cicada not as the predator, but as the prey. So I'm going to be referring to one major source here, a zoology paper from two thousand and nine published in Plus one by David C. Marshall and Kathy B. R. Hill called versatile aggressive mimicry of cicadas by an Australian predatory Katie did So. This paper begins by talking about the concept of mimicry in nature. Mimicry in the animal kingdom is when an animal has an adaptation that makes it seem like something other than what it is, and this can take a lot of different forms and serve a lot of different purposes. A lot of animal mimicry is defensive in purpose and visual in format. So a vulnerable prey animal might try to fool predators into leaving it alone, perhaps by looking like something totally uninteresting to the predator, like a leaf, or like another animal that tastes bad and is non nutritious. In some cases, visual defensive mimicry makes the prey animal look threatening. It makes it look like a different animal that is dangerous and could put up a fight, or one that is poisonous. But there are non visual forms of defensive mimicry as well. For example, a prey animal can smell like something uninteresting or something dangerous, so that's defensive mimicry. But there's also what's called aggressive mimicry. This is when an animal disguises itself for aggressive purposes, usually to attract or gain advantage over prey if the mimic is a predator, or over a host if the mimic is a parasite, and apparently one of the most common strategies for aggressive mimics in nature is to exploit mating drive. So it's like, hello, fellow conspecifics, I am a member of your species and I'm very sexy. So the authors give some examples of this. One is the bolus spiders collectively known as a Mastophora, which have been documented to attract male moths of at least two different species by copying the sex pheromones of female moths of those same species, so this would be aggressive mimicry by smell. There's another interesting example, which is predatory fireflies known as Fouturis versicolor, which these animals use flashes of light to initiate mating within their own kind, but they can also copy the courtship flashes of females of other firefly species to trick the males of those species into getting close for a mating opportunity, and then the predatory fireflies just eat them, so this is aggressive mimicry by visual signal, and the authors note that this case is particularly interesting because the predatory fouturist fireflies can copy the flashing patterns of eleven different prey species of fireflies. So that's incredible versatility in the predatory mimic behavior, and it's an interesting evolutionary question in cases like this how that much versatility in the predatory behavior comes about. The authors speculate that it might be possible in part because in this case the predator and the prey are closely related. But whatever the explanation there, both of these previous examples work by the predator falsely appearing to be a female conspecific that is ready to mate, either by smelling like one or looking like one. This paper presents an example of aggressive mimicry that is interesting for several reasons. Like the fireflies, the predator in this case shows versatility in altering the mimic behavior to match multiple different prey species. But unlike the fireflies, the predator is not closely related to the prey in a phylogenetic sense. And then, also, though I didn't notice this priority claim in the paper itself, a couple of news and blog sources I was reading about the paper say that this was the first scientifically documented case of an aggressive or predatory mimic relying on sound rather than on visual or smell based cues, though this mimic the mimic in question also does use visual mimicry as a secondary appeal. I can't confirm there were no earlier documented examples in nature, and I'm a little curious why I found that claim in the popular sources and not in the research itself. But I did not find any earlier examples. So if that is true, this is the first documented case. Or sound is the medium being used for the aggressive mimic to mimic something that gets it access to its prey. Wow, So what is this dangerous mimic? Well, it is the spotted predatory katie did or Chlorobalius leucoviritus. So this is a large green, green and white patterned katie did or bush cricket. It's a species native to Australia, mostly found in the dry interior regions of the continent, and it preys on multiple different species of cicadas belonging to the tribe Cicadatini, among other things. It's got multiple prey, but it likes to eat these cicadas of Cicadatini. Now it's important to note that these prey cicadas rely on a two part acoustic signaling behavior to initiate sexual pair formation. And when we did our series on cicadas, we talked a lot about the songs of cicadas, how they use sound in their their mating behaviors. But in this case, these specific cicadas rely on what the authors call signal responds duets. So when it's time to mate, the male cicada initiates with a song particular to its species, and then if a female is nearby and she's receptive to mating, she will reply with a series of wing flicks, which can be recognized visually if you're very close. But more importantly, the wingflicks produce an audible sound that matches with that specie specific mating call put out by the male. So the wingflicks can usually be heard for a range of several meters and they will help the male locate the female the author's right quote. Because a wingflick reply is structurally nondescript, it must closely follow the queue in the male cicada's song in order to be recognized. But this leads to a kind of interesting situation where a clicking sound that has roughly the right sound quality and the right latency meaning I interpret this. I hope I'm right about this. I think they're talking about the the time delay between the end of the male cicada song and when the clicks start and stop in response to that. If it has these sonic qualities correct, it can be interpreted as a female sexual signal by the male cicada. And as an example, the authors mentioned that with some of these cicadas in the tribe Cicadatini, you can attract males by like snapping your fingers if you time it right with respect to their songs. But different species listen for different things, and some are more wary than others. I guess some just kind of rush right in there. Now, coming back to the katie DIDs, Chloribelius adults are most active in the summertime, and you will tend to find them perched in the upper branches of small trees and large shrubs, where they can take advantage of their green and white camouflage coloration pattern to hide in the foliage and rob I've attached a couple of pictures for you to look at, where one is against a white background where this animal is very easy to say see. Another one is of its standing in the tree branches, where it's much easier to see how it would just kind of blend in, especially if you weren't looking very close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it is often the case. Right when you look at the specimen more in its natural habitat, it does blend in.
Speaker 3: So what do these kadieids do to mimic and hunt the cicadas they eat? Well? The authors write that they can quote attract male cicadas Hymiptera cicatada by imitating the species specific wing flick replies of sexually receptive female cicadas. This aggressive mimicry is accomplished both acoustically with tegmental clicks and visually with synchronized body jerks, so it's a two part mimic They imitate both the sounds and the visually recognizable body movements produced by female cicadas that are ready to mate, attracting male cicadas from the surrounding area, and when the male cicada gets close enough, the katie did will promptly snatch it, bite into it, and eat it. And observations of these predatory encounters find that the kdi did typically just eats the whole thing. The entire cicada except for the wings, and they leave the wings behind. And I thought that was interesting because I recall from our series on cicadas this was also true of some bird predators, which would eat the whole cicada except the wings and then just leave pairs of wings everywhere.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting.
Speaker 3: Now, one really interesting thing that the authors point out is that these predators are able to not only reproduce the different specific sounds of a bunch of different cicada species, experiments showed they can reproduce the songs of cicadas they have never come across before. So this acoustic mimicry is not just a singular, evolved, pre programmed behavior, but it's versatile. It is a versatile adaptable capacity to mimic and respond to cicada calls. Interestingly, and perhaps relatedly, Chlorobelius also uses acoustic signals for its own reproductive purposes. So when it's time for this KTI did to mate, the male KTI DIDs will produce a trilling sound with a file and scraper system on the edges of their fore wings, which is thought to attract females which are interested in mating. Now, coming to the discussion section of this paper. It's worth noting that this is not the only way that the mating call of a cicada could be used to help a predator eat a cicada. The predator could, for example, just follow the song to its source and eat the male, and many predators do exactly this. They do follow the mating calls of prey animals to hunt. But this is a different strategy like the siren, or at least one version of the siren. The kti did lures victims to itself, and I think that's kind of interesting to consider. It's like a different evolutionary investment. I don't believe the authors say this, so this could be on the wrong track, but I was personally wondering if it could have something to do with the fact that the katie did already has a cryptic coloration pattern. It has camouflage, and so the fact that it may be using camouflage for one thing, it may be using camouflage defensively to hide from its own predators, from birds and so forth. You know, whatever preis on it, it may be able to get double use out of that by specializing in a type of predation that allows it to hold still and hide among the leaves and have its prey come to it right right.
Speaker 2: And also I guess maybe it's helpful if it's this way, it doesn't have to worry about the predators that could potentially be seeking out the mating call of their very prey.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a very good point because as we talked about it in our cicada series. I don't know with this specific Australian family with the Cicadatinian Australia, but in most places everything eats cicadas when the cicadas come out their dinner for everything out there, and most of the things that are eating them, or at least a lot of the things would be big enough to eaticated it as well. Right now. The authors in this paper argue that the katie DIDs versatility and mimicry probably follows from the application of a few simple rules. For one thing, Since they're game to eat pretty much any cicada and not just one particular species, they can probably ignore everything about the male cicada's song except whatever part of it cues the female cicada to respond, so there's less information to process. Just tune most of that out focus on whatever part you need to pay attention to to time your response, your clicks and response, which is typically probably something about the onset of a pause at the end of a song segment. And this was funny because it made me think about like text message scammers who are going to possibly ignore basically everything you type to them and just be looking for a couple of keywords to advance the scamscript to the next waypoint.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, yeah, I mean often predatory. There you go, efficiency, yeah, predatory efficiency.
Speaker 3: But in general, the authors point out that a complex adaptation like the kd did has here, it requires multiple parts. Right, You've got to have sound producing organs, which they do in the four wings. You've got to have sound perceiving organs. You've got to be able to listen so you know what to respond to. And you've got to have the neural processing required to make that match right, to produce the appropriate sound to match the call you just heard. And fortunately for the kd DIDs, they already have all three capabilities for use in their own mating. Remember that from earlier they also use sound in their own mating. However, there's an interesting complication here, which is that if this predatory mimicry of cicada mating duets were based on the mating behavior of the predator species, you would expect the kd DIDs to also engage in duets, and as far as the authors could tell, this was not the case. The kd DIDs do not seem to do male female duets. Instead, it seems as of the time of this paper that males generally produce a song which attracts a silent female to its source. So the male makes a song, the female comes and finds the male. But the authors acknowledge that not a lot is known about this katie did species, so maybe some information is missing here. And also just a reminder that I said there was both an acoustic and a visual signal that the katie did also does this body jerking behavior which accompanies the mimicry clicks, and it does not seem to be physically necessary to make the click sound, so it's probably also a mimic behavior in this case to kind of look like a female cicada flicking its wings between the leaves, so the male's like, oh yeah, I see it right up there, and the male's crawling up and then it gets.
Speaker 2: Eaten fascinating it, I mean as lines up with the basic siren script right absolutely.
Speaker 3: But in fact, to come back to the Odyssey, one thing we see in the Odyssey is that the prey of the sirens, at least one one member of the sirens prey has a clever workaround a way of avoiding the sirens song by plugging the ears of the men rowing the ship and by lashing himself to the mast so that the sirens wouldn't get him. This is what Odysseus does, and you could see that as the beginning of a possible arms race in adaptations between sailors and sirens. And in fact there may be a fairly complex predator prey arms race in evolution between these cicadas and the katie DIDs. So here to read from the paper the author's write quote. Even though Cobonga ox lay, the species we observed being attracted by Chlorobelius luco viridus, has a structurally obvious song cue and an easily timed repetitive rhythm, we have found this species to be extremely resistant to our artificial signals. Poorly timed finger snaps cause males of many species to become wary with k i ox lay an especially strong example. Perhaps persistent aggressive mimicry by Chlorobelius lucoviritis has selected kox lay males for greater sensitivity to the occasional, poorly timed click. This possibility also suggests an additional evolutionary route for the cicada prey, the addition of false cues that elicit premature katie did replies without queuing female cicadas, whose response depends on a particular combination of song elements. Long continued selection of this sort might account for the extraordinarily complex songs of many Australian cicatatine species found in the arid Acacia dominated habitats where see Lucoviritus is most common. So that's very interesting. We may have some cicada odysseuses on hand who have evolved a defensive reaction to this type of predatory mimicry by, for one thing, throwing out some decoy sound signals that are not going to get females of its own species responding. But if you do hear clicks in response to them, that's something to be afraid of. Lets you know there's a monster nearby and then also perhaps by being more sensitive to incorrect timing on the response clicks in the duet.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Interesting, So yeah, so their use of the song become becomes more nuanced in a way, in a way to outwit these pretenders. Yeah, I mean one is tempted to make various comparisons, to say, conversations between humans, perhaps in a dating scenario, you know, like a first date where one might throw out, hey, you know, did you see such and such movie? And I thought it was pretty good and they're like, yeah, it's great. Well, then you know that's a red flag fill in your own example. Well, sorry, I'm a little slow today. I can't come up with a good example that we can all stand behind as being the red flag for a first day.
Speaker 3: But I absolutely understand what you're talking about, sort of tossing out a sonic conversational bait to draw out the attention of anything that you should be avoiding.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well this is fascinating and again more evidence to a point that we're always making on the show, and that is that anything you find in myth and in legend and fictional monsters, there is almost always something equally weird in the natural world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's you know, through doing a lot of these October Monster episodes, I find it varies how close of a match we can find in the natural world. Sometimes there's just not something in nature that is a real tight fit on whatever fictional example we're talking about, But there's always something more amazing. Yeah, but this was a case where I was shocked how close the fit is, especially with the Odysseus cicadas. To be clear, that's not their biological name, that's just what I'm calling him.
Speaker 2: Now, all right, I have one more little curiosity to consider here. Take it from the cabinet of curiosity, if you will, because it concerns a very learned individual who seems to have thought very long and hard on the reality of sirens, as well as the reality of some other things that I don't think one typically thinks of as having an objective reality. So I ran across this in Literature and Lore of the Sea, edited by Patricia Ann Karlson, specifically, in an article titled the Extraordinary being Death in the Mermaid and Baroque literature Eileen S. Goodman, She points out the seventeenth century German polymath and Jessuit scholar Athanasius Kircher, who is sixteen o two through sixteen eighty, in one of his natural history volumes, seems to give serious consideration to not only the objective reality of Noah's Ark, which isn't completely out of the ordinary. He still see that kind of thing going on today, but also spends a lot of time trying to figure out where Noah put all of the sirens.
Speaker 3: Right next to the unicorns.
Speaker 2: Obviously, well, we'll get to unicorns. He also believed in them. I guess brief refresher for those of you who don't remember the story of Noah's Ark is this Old Testament Book of Genesis tale concerning the Great flood and one anti Theiluvian patriarch's mission to save all of the world's animals from the flood in a great big boat. It's one of various great flood myths found throughout the ancient world. Obviously, this is not a story that easily endures. Is very close, you know, literal scrutiny. When you dig down into the two by two details of the endeavor. I think you know a lot of us who grew up, you know, going to Sunday school class. You reach that point where you're like, wait, how does this work? Now? Wait to two of each animal, you know, and then various questions arise. But Kircher was very into figuring out exactly how all of this would work, and he, to be clear, seems to have believed in the reality of mermaids or sirens as well as unicorns, based on some like the tail and the bones of a mermaid that were in his museum.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so he had empirical evidence.
Speaker 2: He's like, we have evidence, this is what these were. And he describes them as amphibians and stresses that there is some controversy as to whether these particular amphibians were or were not received into the arc. And I imagine some of you might have wondered about this, how did what happened to the mermaids? So he explains in his writing, well that others have said, well, perhaps they lived on the outside of the arc, outside of this great boat, perhaps in some sort of a nest, something like a fixed to the hole.
Speaker 3: I'm finding it a little confusing here because I would not normally think that aquatic animals needed to be taken onto the arc at all, which I guess is part of why he's classifying them as amphibians that like, they can't live their entire lives in the water. They must come to dry surface at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there was some disagreement with people asking the same questions here. Where did the mermaids or sirens go? Some said they stayed in nests on the outside of the arc, but Kircher dismisses the idea, stating that this is a This is a quote translated quote from his work, as referenced in that article by Goodman Holy writ is in agreement on the matter of the little stalls into which the animals were district and it does not teach that any existed outside. And I believe he argues against the idea that any creature lived outside the ship during the cataclysm, like even fish. I mean it, it's I have no answer there. It's like, even if you're even if I'm going to assume that fish surely get away with living outside of the arc. I think he's making the case that amphibian creatures could not. They would have to be aboard the arc. H Okay, So I'm assuming here, based on what I'm reading, that Kircher is arguing that the sirens would have ridden inside the arc, and I have to acknowledge that, yes, that sounds ludicrous to even be wondering about that. But I also I don't want to give everyone the wrong idea about this man, because by all accounts he was. He was a brilliant mind, you know, a brilliant man of his time, sometimes described as being the last man to know everything. So this is a guy who studied religion, linguistics, geology, medicine. He tried to decipher ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics and claimed that he had translated them, but apparently not. He wrote an encyclopedia on China. He kept a vundokama, or a cabinet of curiosities, and he spent the majority of his career at Roman College. He was fascinated by fossils. He made proposals about the cause of plague that apparently line up with some of the actual the actual reality of it. He was intrigued by various devices, made little inventions. He was a science superstar of his day, even if he's often eclipsed in our recollection by such contemporaries as Galileo. And there is the fact that he seemed to believe in the existence of both mermaids and unicorns based on the evidence in his museum.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, I mean this would be, by no means the only example of a truly brilliant mind in history who spent a lot of time obsessing over minutia based on false premises. Yeah, you know, the all the devotion to to alchemy and trying to trying to work things out based on the literal interpretation of the Bible and things like that.
Speaker 2: So a lot of books have been written about him, and I ran across there's actually a review of a particular book about him. This was in this case, the review was written by the Vatican Observatory's brother, Guy Konsumajno, who I had the pleasure to hear speak here in Atlanta many years ago. Was not speaking about this. Who was speaking, I believe about religion and extraterrestrials, the sort of like speculative material. But yeah, he wrote this article in twenty twenty one titled a mishmash of brilliance and absurdity, and he stressed that, yeah, there's here's this guy Kirchner, who was brilliant, you know, was obsessed with optics, acoustics, you name it just like everything that could be learned or known about the world. He was all in on it. But on the other hand, he wrote three volumes on how Noah managed to fit all of the animals and their food into the arc, and then also speculates about the sirens as well.
Speaker 3: Isaac Newton, one of the most brilliant minds of all time, was spent a huge amount of intellectual energy obsessed with interpreting his with like his interpretations of Biblical prophecies.
Speaker 2: Kanzemaijno writes quote, Kirchner makes a fascinating contrast in style with Galileo. While both were shameless self promoters, Galileo was far more rigorous, focused, and polemical in his science. Kirchner's theme was simply wonder and delight, reporting marvelous machines and novelties, like a seventeenth century version of Ripley's Believe It or Not.
Speaker 3: Well, Far be it from me to find fault there in wonder and delight.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know it kind of you know, drives home that you know. Wonder and delight are great, but they too can be kind of a siren song, steering you off into I mean in the worst cases, you know, misinformation and delusion, but even into maybe just ideas that are not ultimately that productive but maybe entertaining. I don't know. Did Kirchner's three volumes on Noah's art like hurt anything, Did his belief in the physical reality of unicorns and mermaids hurt anything? Well? Maybe not, Maybe it's fine.
Speaker 3: I guess it's hard to say about that kind of thing, though, I would say in general, it's absolutely the case. I think that the estheticization of ideas can in some cases have very negative consequences. Appreciating ideas primarily for whether they are fun or exciting or how they make you feel, with not enough appreciation for testing whether they are true, can be in fact quite dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, We've We've discussed multiple times in the show various hypotheses that you know, sometimes are quite enthralling and and even inspiring, but are they the best hypotheses with which to understand the universe? And that's not always the case. And if you just follow what's exciting, then you're, you know, you're in search of with Leonard Nimoy or something, you know, you're you're in the realm of let's just talk about these ideas because they are entertaining and not because they actually explain the world around us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, though, if we can make a persuasive case, I hope we could convince you that you can put truth testing as the first priority and ideas can still be fun.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So you know, don't put wax in your ears. Put put put a little Stuff to Blow your Mind in your ears and hopefully that'll help you out. All right, We're gonna go ahead and close up this episode, but we'll remind everyone out there. The Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We do a short form episode on Wednesdays, and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a we film on Weird House Cinema. If you listen to us on Apple Podcasts or what have you, make sure you're subscribed to the show. If you haven't reviewed us, give us a nice review. Maybe touch up that old review. I don't know, but you know, the stars help, the nice words help, and likewise, it's the If you're on Instagram, you can follow us. We are stb ym podcast.
Speaker 3: Huge Thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows is the West or