Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff You Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too, and this is a podcast called Stuff you Should Know About Rice.
Speaker 1: That's right, kind I just throw out a couple of stats real quick at at the onset. I would love that, because this is about rice, the food. Just in case it was confusing at all.
Speaker 2: What other kind of rice is?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: No, I just wondered. I mean, for all I know, it's some weird new sex term.
Speaker 2: Oh that's rich. Okay, Yeah, you've clearly only seen it written before.
Speaker 1: I guess so. All right, So rice generally is looked at as the most eaten food in the world. I think some people might have wheat just ahead of it, but it's either one or number two. It's grown on every continent except Antarctica, about three and a half billion people. It's a staple food, accounting for twenty percent of the calories consumed all over the world is rice, which is a staggering number. In Asian countries, fifty percent of the calories. That's amazing. Fifty percent is rice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is until you realize that pork kracklnes make up another twenty percent of all the calories consumed worldwide.
Speaker 1: Yum.
Speaker 2: There's also like something that's worth mentioning too, that rice production supports two hundred million households in developing countries. That's how they make their living. Yeah, so to say that rice is an important crop here on planet Earth is kind of an understatement. Uh yeah, okay, good, I'm glad you agree. There's one thing I want to cover before we move on, because it bothered me, so hopefully it will bother somebody else, and that's why I want to satisfy that itch. Okay, I wondered what rice is when we're eating rice, what is it? It's a seed. The rice is the seed of the rice plant. Did you know that?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well.
Speaker 1: That was just my new persona.
Speaker 2: Here's how we know that rice is a seed aside from you don't have to be a botanist for this. You can go to the store and buy rice and plant it and it will grow a rice plant. So it's the seed, but it's classified as a cereal, which is a seed from a grass plant. And so rice is a seed. Everybody calmed down, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, and I'm clearly joking. By the way. I can't imagine how many people I turned off with the new persona.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 1: I figure people like, is that what Chuck shaped his beard for Halloween? Is that new Chuck? I don't like it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, you did. I think you should have grown the mustache back real quick after Halloween.
Speaker 1: Buddy, if I could, I would. I miss that beard so much.
Speaker 2: Already are you growing it back?
Speaker 1: I mean I told Ruby Ruby hated it, of course, but I said Ruby, it's already growing back. I've already started the second I finished shaving, I started growing it back.
Speaker 2: You're like, I got to hurry up and squeeze Halloween in.
Speaker 1: But the stash look pretty good, though, right.
Speaker 2: It did. I liked it a lot. It looks like a construction worker slash porn star slash yacht rock musician all rolled into one. Yeah, like Kenny Loggins. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Any anytime you have a stash like that, you're twenty percent more police officer too.
Speaker 2: Oh don't forget that. Yeah, yeah, but you looked a little more like village people police officer.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'll take that any day. Okay, that just sounded like Kim Katrell.
Speaker 2: You should have been like, oh, I'll take that any day.
Speaker 1: All right, back to rice, because this is the Bulkan and we can't goof around. We're gonna break down types of rice. If you look sort of at the top of the dividing point, you're probably gonna go white rice or brown rice. I really don't care for brown rice. I'm not yucking yum. I can't stand the taste.
Speaker 2: It's an acquired taste.
Speaker 1: It's much better for you. They are not different varieties. But white rice as rice with the brand and the germ removed. Brown rice, and also red and black rice still has the brand in the germ, and it's much much, much better for you than white rice. I just cannot stomach it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The reason why is because the brand and the germ are the thing that have all the nutrients. So if you're eating white rice, it's basically stripped of any nutritional value whatsoever, so much so that a lot of rice is actually fortified. They mix the vitamins and minerals that they strip out back in in different ways.
Speaker 1: That's enriched.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, let's talk about that real quick. Okay, did you see the different ways that you can enrich white rice.
Speaker 1: I mean, can't they just kind of like powder coat it.
Speaker 2: Sure, powder coating is one, but they don't powder coat all of it. They pick out select grains of rice, powder coat them, and then mix them back in with unpowder coated rice at a ratio of about one to one hundred.
Speaker 1: What really? And that provides enough good stuff.
Speaker 2: I guess. So do you have any other guesses of how you could enrich rice?
Speaker 1: Mmm? I'm trying to think how I would do it now, I have no other guesses.
Speaker 2: You could coat it in layers, based coat, nutrient coat to protective top coat. And then the last one is you can extrude it. So you take rice flour and you actually make fake rice grains, and you've mixed the rice powder with the nutrient powder, and you mix those in with real rice or regular rice. That's how you do it. I don't know why, but I could not not find out how you would enrich rice. It just got me. So I had to go figure it out, and I wanted to share that, just like sharing the fact that rice is seed.
Speaker 1: That's right. I love it. Most of the rice that we you know, kind of buy in stores and know about is a descendant from the ryz A capital o. I guess the Ariza sativa that was domesticated in China, you know, somewhere between eighty two hundred and thirteen and a half thousand years ago. There are two main subspecies, Indica into couch am i right, and Japonica. I think that Indica is more likely to be long grain. The Japonica is more likely to be short even though there are exceptions, and the starch levels are different in the two, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Japonica has more starch, a certain kind called amelopectin, which is water soluble, so it makes the rice sticky. Indica is chuck full of ammelos, which is a starch, but it keeps the rice separate, or the rice doesn't stick together, it doesn't actually keep it separate. And so knowing that and knowing long grain and short grain, you can kind of start to guess what different varieties of rice belong to which family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, we don't want to leave out the or as a glab arima that's African rice, and that is is grown in Africa. Still it is not as popular as the Asian or As a variety, but they have tried to mix the two because there are good and bad points for both. I think the African variety is a little heartier and more resistant to disease and pests and climate issues, which is great. I think water depth and soil it just seems like a better all round sort of grower. But the yields aren't as great and it's harder to mill without breaking. So maybe cross breeding these two you could come up with like a super rice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what you'd call it. Maybe Glaborema japonica.
Speaker 1: Poof, Yeah, that sounds great.
Speaker 2: Let's talk some varieties, shall we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can kind of quickly go through. But Bosmadi is one of my faves. It's a long grain indicica rice. South Asian cuisine a lot of time will have bosmodi or maybe jasmine, also a long grain indica rice. It's a little stickier than basmadi, a little more floral.
Speaker 2: Did you know I've always thought like they added something to give jasmine rice that smell. Apparently that's natural to the rice. Did you know that?
Speaker 1: I kind of figured that because I just didn't think they would add a scent to a rice.
Speaker 2: I could see that I could see somebody adding a scent, especially the time they love like orchids and stuff like that. They love the strings that are lovely, and so adding a lovely scent to rice makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Two of my favorite rice is right off the bat.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, one of my favorites actually, let's just go ahead and say it. My favorite is sushi rice. It's a type of Japonica. Not surprisingly, it's sticky, but it's not as sticky as another kind of rice called sticky rice or glutenous rice, and they're not to be confused, even though they're both pretty sticky. Glutinous rice is naturally sticky because it's got so much amylopectin starts in it that it actually the grains actually kind of crumble together and it almost turns into like a porridge. Like when you make a batch of sticky rice, it's almost like a just a big clump that sticks to your fingers, gets all over the place. You can use just to hang wallpaper. Sushi rice is sticky. It'll stick together. But if you ever really look at sushi like a piece of nageary, you can see the individual grains of rice. Yeah, but it still sticks together, And the reason why it really sticks together is because of the treatment it gets with a little bit of vinegar, salt and sugar concoction that's mixed in with the rice after it cooks.
Speaker 1: That's right, maybe a manny petty.
Speaker 2: I don't get that one.
Speaker 1: You know the treatment?
Speaker 2: Okay, do you ever get those?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, chuck, eat yourself at least to a pedicure. You will never not get one again.
Speaker 1: Uh we'll talk off air, okay, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Just saying you can't surprise those people or offend them. Somebody who's a professional pedicurist, it doesn't matter what your feet look like. They will do it. And they yeah, yeah, not crack a smile.
Speaker 1: It's not a hammertoe issue.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: Can we move on to risotto, because if you love risotto, you're probably looking at one of a couple of things, both Japonic aversions, either arboreo or carnioli rice risotto. They're both medium grain delicious. I don't I've made risotto before, but it's really tough to perfect. Yeah, but one of my favorite dishes if it's done right.
Speaker 2: I made it once or twice too, and it actually turned out both times. But it is very time consuming because you add like the broth a little bit at a time, and you basically have to stir until that the rice absorbs the broth and over and over and over again. But when it turns out it's delicious. It's just much easier to order out though.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's a dish. You got a babysit, you know, you can't walk away.
Speaker 2: Similarly, piea is a dish that you have to babysit too, and that uses a couple of specific kinds of rice bomba which means bomb because it expands into little bombs the grains of rice to when they encounter water in Calispara. And they're both short grain rices, which is strange. There should be long grain because of the dish kind of calls for it. But you do not want to use other short grain rices as substitutes in paea because they're not. They actually indica type rices like those other two are, and they'll just cook different and you'll basically ruin your pia. And who wants ruin pie?
Speaker 1: Now? I used to make pia and I never baby said it was I doing it wrong?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I thought like you typically made it outdoors and you basically had to hang around it while it was cooking.
Speaker 1: I always just baked it in the oven, in the proper pan.
Speaker 2: Maybe that was just a cooking show I saw once, and they were doing that to seem cool.
Speaker 1: It was like one of those cooking challenges that like they give them a bunch of restrictions.
Speaker 2: No, weirdly, it was a cooking show. I don't remember the chef, but Gwyneth Paltrow was standing around there and it was like first thing in the morning, and they were both bleary eyed and clearly messed up still from the night before. But they decided to film that that episode of the cooking show that day.
Speaker 1: I'm probably not doing it in the traditional style or something, but it always turned out pretty good. Good. I want to talk a little bit about Carolina gold. It's one of my favorite prices. It's in heirloom long grain Japonica.
Speaker 2: You haven't had it, No, I've never had it?
Speaker 1: Oh man, is it yourself? Yeah? It's great. Always when I go to Charleston, I'll pick up a bag of the local stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, pick up two, I will.
Speaker 1: Big boy comes in a looking little soft bag too, you know.
Speaker 2: I saw, oh, like a kind of a little burlap bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a cloth thing.
Speaker 2: I saw there's a company called Antson Mills that they started making it in the nineteen nineties. I guess at least for national sale, and their prices aren't terribly bad. I didn't get to the shipping stage that probably jecks the price up, but it was like eight bucks for a pound of this apparently the best rice you'll ever have.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think you can just buy it in publics here, can't you.
Speaker 2: I've never looked for it. Maybe I will, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I mean in Charleston, certainly you can buy it at just Harris Teedter or whatever, because it's local and that's the deal it was. You know, it comes from the Carolinas, the lowlands of South Carolina and North Carolina. I think it was the first commercial rice in the United States and genetically goes back to South Asia, although the seeds reportedly arrived to Charleston in the sixteen hundreds from Madagascar, went away after the Civil War and then came back into fashion, like you said, in the nineties when Anson Mill started making it again. But this was a rice where English colonists, you know, they came here. They hadn't grown rice very significantly, so they they didn't really know what they were doing. But enslaved Africans arrived, they had that experience on how to grow rice, which was it's a tricky crop and we'll get to all that later. They had, you know, some lowland wetland cultivation areas in West Africa. So they came with that knowledge, and you know, that's how it became a thing in South Carolina, Like how how to cultivate it and grow it there?
Speaker 2: Yep? Then now we have Carolina gold.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: I have to go try because this article, thanks to doctor Clau for helping us with this, too, made me very hungry for rice.
Speaker 1: How many of these others do you want to go over?
Speaker 2: I don't know that there's much to go over. There's black rice, which apparently has anthracyanin's the same pigment and blueberries, so it's high in antioxidants. Yeah, apparently it was called forbidden rice in ancient China because only royalty could eat it.
Speaker 1: It's black rice, I think, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, black rice, yeah, and then I think it's worth mentioning wild rice. It's not technically rice because it doesn't come from a rice plant comes from a different type of grass that's native to North America. But from what I see, it's actually even healthier a than brown rice. Okay, and it's not bad.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Do you like it?
Speaker 1: And you know, I'll quickly shout out calros because when I used to roll my own sushi, that's what I would use. Even though it's not exactly sushi rice, I was told by a chef like that it does pretty good.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a nice little tip from Chuck's kitchen.
Speaker 1: All right, Well let's take a break then. It's a good start, and we'll come back and talk about that cultivation I spoke of right after this. All right, rice cultivation, like we mentioned earlier, started in China, specifically the Yang Sea River basin could have been like as much as fourteen thousand years ago, definitely at least nine or ten thousand years ago. And it's the kind of thing that happened over time from like wild rice growing just in the wild after heavy rains, to them saying hey, let's actually try and farm this stuff, and you know, valleys would flood and they would say, hey, this is this is how you grow rice in water. Flooded paddies. I imagine it was quite a revelation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it made it to South Asia, that is India by I think eighty three hundred years ago, and made it to Southeast Age about forty four hundred years ago. And the whole idea of growing rice, Like anybody who ever thinks about growing rice, you know, when you're sitting around thinking about growing rice, you think of it in paddies, like you're talking about like little flooded fields usually surrounded by slightly raised dikes or walkways or buns, and that is a way that rice grows. But it doesn't actually need a flooded field to grow. It needs a lot of irrigation, a lot of rainfall. But it can also be grown on like mountain sides, terraced mountain sides. That's called upland farming. But lowland part I didn't either. Usually that's for subsistence that upland stuff, because it's so much more productive using the lowland method, which is using flooded paddies. But it only needs flooding a couple of times during growing the growing season, and they actually drain the paddy for harvesting. Yeah, but a lot of a lot of people who cultivate rice just keep it flooded the whole time because it's a lot easier to not put water in and out when you need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, as far as you know farming it, you can be old school. It can be done by hand. Obviously, they have machinery that can do that stuff now in a lot of places. The rice plants, you can like a lot of plants and vegetables and things like that, and herbs. You can start them out in a like a nursery bed, transferm over to a paddy, or it could be a big mechanized system of seed drilling. Or you can drop rice. You can air drop it into a flooded field and it doesn't take that long, a few months, about one hundred and twenty days. And you know, different varieties. It depends on like the depth of water for the different varieties and stuff like that, and they will drain as needed. But just a few months to grow a successful rice yield.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was watching some mesmerizing videos on growing rice and one of them was in Vietnam. I couldn't tell where the other one was, but it was really interesting. For some reason, I find a rice patty. Fascinating.
Speaker 1: Oh same, it's just way, way.
Speaker 2: More interesting than your typical crop field.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Agree. Water Yeah, and I thought until yesterday that was the only way to do it.
Speaker 2: Nope, that's right.
Speaker 1: Cranberries, didn't it. Cranberries that grow in water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like a bog. Yeah, that's deep water. You have to wear waiters to harvest cranberries. As far as the commercials for ocean spray that I've.
Speaker 1: Seen say, yeah.
Speaker 2: So after you harvest the rice, there's a lot of ways to harvest it. One of the traditional ways is to just use handsickles and cut the probably the top half of the plant off. After that, you dry the rice and what you have is called rough rice, and that still has the hole on it. It's got what the prote husk, which you'll sometimes see if you buy a plant. There's these little holes. Those are rice hucks husks. I guess they put them in for drainage maybe, I don't know why else they would. But when you remove just the husk and leave the rest of the rice alone, like shucking an ear of corn, but really tiny, that's essentially the rice husk. Once you take the husk off, you got brown rice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, little tiny bits of cardboard ready for eating.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm with you. It takes a lot for me to make myself make brown rice when I have the option of making sushi rice. Yeah, but it is so much better for you. I know it's but I don't know if either of us eed enough rice to really matter.
Speaker 1: I know, no, no, I mean any help problems I have or not for eating white rice?
Speaker 2: You know, but what about white rice? How do you get white rice from brown rice? Because that's where you get it from.
Speaker 1: Well, another you got to go through another round of work, basically and called the milling process that's going to remove the brand. Sometimes they even if you see rice that looks like just super pristine and shiny that might have been polished in a factory somewhere with lucose.
Speaker 2: Weird.
Speaker 1: And then we talked about you know, some rice even goes through the enriching process.
Speaker 2: Would you like to go over those three ways again? Ah, that's right, Okay, But.
Speaker 1: You know, we're going to talk a little bit about the downside of rice because anytime you're talking about like these major crops or farm situations, it's not always the greatest for the environment and it takes a lot of water to grow rice, like you said, if it's not done in a patty, just tons and tons of irrigation, which makes it surprising that California, which suffers a lot of drought, has about half a million acres of rice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you listen to our saltancy episode, that should be an eye popping number to you. Yeah. That said, though, rice production still requires less water than any kind of meat production, any kind of nut production from what I understand, and a lot of vegetables still use more water than rice cultivation I guess worldwide. So water use is a thing. Land use is another thing too, but greenhouse cases seem to be probably the biggest problem with rice production.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this kind of is something that I would not have considered. Again, I was just sort of naive to that. I usually think of like factory farming of animals and stuff as being big methane contributors. But when you have a big flooded rice field, you're also going to have a lot of microbes in there feeding off of decaying plant matter, and that's going to create a lot of methane. I didn't realize it was that big of a problem, but apparently it is.
Speaker 2: It must be because so much rice is cultivated worldwide that all combined makes it a problem. One of the things you can do to reduce methane emissions is to drain the patties when the rice is at a growing state where it doesn't need to be flooded, and then when it needs it again, you can reintroduce the water. Then you dry it again for harvesting. The problem is this, and I love stuff like this, even though it's terrible. I love it when you solve one problem and it creates an equal and opposite problem. That's exactly what happens with rice cultivation. When you dry out that paddy, it exposes the soil and a bunch of nitrous oxide, which is another greenhouse gas gets emitted. And so if you just grow it just with soil, it's going to emit nitrous oxide. It's going to be covered up with the water and the paddy, and then when you dry it again, it's going to release more nitrous oxide. So they're trying to figure out like the balance of which one's worse, you know, would it be better to just leave it flooded all the time, would it be better to dry it because you can take care of the methane, nitrous oxide goes up. Take care of the nitrous oxide, the methane goes up. But did you see that thing about rice fish farming?
Speaker 1: Is that like the seawater farming.
Speaker 2: No, this is it's a little different. It's where you actually you you grow fish, you like farm fish in your rice paddy, and they actually help take care of the methane problem by eating a lot of the algae that would otherwise decompose. So the methane goes down, the nitrous oxide emissions go down because the paddy's always flooded because you know, the fish need the water. And I saw that it increases yields by ten to fifteen percent because the fish are pooping and sore, the nitrogen cycle is going a lot, but a lot more frequently. You don't need to add as much fertilizer, if any. And they're eating a lot of the pests, so there's a fifty percent reduction in pests. And I think in some if you do it right, you don't even need to use pesticides in rice production. So growing fish with your rice is like the way to save the planet.
Speaker 1: What kind of fish do you know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think it matters. Probably a smallish fish because there's a a few inches of water that you need for rice paddies, So it wouldn't have it wouldn't be like a giant carp you'd be you'd be up the creek, I think, Or the carp would be if you tried to grow carp in a fish, Patty.
Speaker 1: Right, it wouldn't be say a marlin or great white shark.
Speaker 2: No, no, but that would be something to see.
Speaker 1: I did mention seawater rice there, you know, people efforting to do that kind of thing to you know, grow it in seawater. Obviously, it's got to be a situation where they can get a rice variety that can tolerate that salt content and the alkaline soil. But it's something that they're looking into that has got a little bit of promise I.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, because it reduces the land use, right, because you're not using really valuable land for cultivating rice. Yeah. There's also the matter of toxins too. I didn't realize rice was such a downer, did you.
Speaker 1: I did not. I didn't know about the toxins, and I think specifically arsenic is one of the I think like lead and cadmium also, but arsenic seems to be the major offender.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the reason why it's such a deal with rice is rice absorbs at more than most crops for some reason. The big downer about the whole thing is that arsenic is most present in the germ and the brand. So the type of rice that's most beneficial for you health wise, brown rice is also the ones that have the most arsenic.
Speaker 1: Aha.
Speaker 2: I found an article that asks if the benefits outweigh the risk as far as arsenic and brown rice is concerned twenty twenty three edition of Frontiers and Nutrition, and they basically said, I don't know, we should do more study on it. To eat what you want, bub yeah, I guess, But basically they were like, we don't know. Why would you even read this article, chump?
Speaker 1: If you're seeking out safer rice, you know there are people have done studies, consumer reports I think did some testing for arsenic. Specifically, they found white basmadi in California, India and Pakistan, and sushi rice from the United States, maybe not intuitively, has the least amount of arsenic. If you get rice from Arkansas, Louisiana or Texas, it's gonna have higher levels of arsenic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's if your soil is more likely to be contaminated by industrial metals, that rice is gonna suck it up. And apparently California's soil is less contaminated by industrial metals and some other states. So from what I could tell, your best bet is California rice as far as arsenic is concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know you rinsing the rice helps before you cook it. Cooking it in the water and then draining and even rinsing afterward can reduce the arsenic count even more. But it's not like it's apparently it's not enough arsenic to really do a ton of damage to you. But the problem is is children that eat like a lot of times, you know, you'll have like the processed rice meal and baby food, and I think that stuff you can ever tell how much that has been rinsed or not. This might orthodonist Doctor Blake used to say, So, yeah, it can be problematic for little bebes and toddlers.
Speaker 2: It can be problematic for you too, like as a grown up. And yeah, it's not like you would have to eat a lot of rice to hurt yourself with say arsenic. But if you eat rice every day, which a lot of people do, sure you can. And arsenic's associated with multiple kinds of cancer, diabetes, cardio issues, and obesity. So you don't really want a lot of arsenic. So that is an issue with rice, everybody. Let's face it.
Speaker 1: Should we take a second break? Yeah, all right, we'll take another break. Go over some lists of countries wheat right, a lot, probably not a very surprising list, but that another stuff right after.
Speaker 2: This, Okay, Chuck, I'll give you ten guesses. What continent produces the most rice?
Speaker 1: Is this production?
Speaker 2: Yes? Production?
Speaker 1: My guess is China?
Speaker 2: No continent?
Speaker 1: Oh Asia, Yes, you got it right out of the gate. Within that I would say China.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd be right. China is the number one rice producing country in Asia, followed by India. Well, that makes sense because they both have a lot of land mass. Bangladesh is a big eye popper because it's not very big, but it's the third highest producing rice country in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's impressive.
Speaker 2: But all ten top ten are Asian, whether Southeast Asian, South Asian, or Asian proper.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, I mentioned those states California, Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Missouri, and Arkansas produced the almost all the rice in the US, which is about twenty billion pounds a year more than I thought. Obviously nowhere close to being a top ten producer. But as far as eating rice in the United States, you're probably eating American rice unless you're going to like a specialty store, because about eighty percent of the rice sold and eaten in the US and ninety five percent of sushi rice eaten in the US comes from US farms.
Speaker 2: That's why when you go to a izakaya in America, you'll frequently see somebody with a mouthful of rice changing us.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about the countries that eat the most rice.
Speaker 1: That eat the most.
Speaker 2: What continent would those be on all ten?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to say Asia, but I'm also going to drill down and say China just because of the sheer amount of people.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, China's number one. Indian is number two, both because they have a lot of people there. Bangladesh is number three. Again they really love the rice. Yeah. But in the top ten list, Nigeria is number ten of the countries that eat the most rice, And there's something about eating a lot of rice. It's impressive. Number one, Bangladesh is number one for eating rice. The per capita rice consumption per year equals five hundred and ninety two pounds of rice per person, which is almost two pounds of rice a day. And that's dry, uncooked rice that they're counting. This isn't like the wet stuff. Yeah, and like I said, it's impressive, but it also goes to it goes to point out or underscore that the developing status of a country like Bangladesh, because if you eat tons of rice and you're getting a lot of your calories from rice, it's because a lot of other foods aren't available to you because your country is lower income. So that's why Bangladesh, Cambodia, a Laos, they all eat the most rice, in part because it's widely available, but also in part because their economies are still developing or aren't as developed as countries they eat less rice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's again those are per capita numbers for that last list.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That reminds me though of when I was a kid in like first, second, third grade. Maybe we would once a year at school the school lunch would be a cup of white rice with a little pad of butter on it, so that it drove home like what other kids around the world were eating for lunch that day.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was kind of a nice in principle, but there were always at least one or two kids who ate that and then also ate their lunch that they brought from home to like little bastard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would say that pad of butter is a bit of a cheat.
Speaker 2: Probably probably, but still, I mean I definitely it gave me paws.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I like a little butter and some rice. I mean not when I'm cooking any kind of like you know, Asian style foods and stuff like that. I'm not gonna put butter on sushi rice. But if you give me a you know, a steak and a big old glava Carolina gold, you can bet your bibby I'm gonna throw a little butter on that. Salt and pepper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never got into This was definitely not Carolina gold rice that they were feeding us in styrofoam cups.
Speaker 1: In first grade. It's probably what's the stuff in the bag, the minute rice or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Uncle Ben's or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the only time we see that in our house. We keep a stash for when the dogs are tummy sick and you have to boil chicken and you just have chicken and plain rice, and so we have those bags that in like camping when I was a kid. Is that evokes those memories all right?
Speaker 2: Like would you just have your pockets full of loose rice? That's how you'd hike it in.
Speaker 1: So I'd hike it in.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else anything else about this? Oh? I want to point something out there. There is a study in two thousand and five. Remember I talked about how people eating rice, the countries that eat the most rice also tend to be developing. Well, there was a study from Tatori University. And the reason that stood out to me is because you and me taught English and tooty at a high school. Yeah, oh cool, it's very rural area. She taught it at like a technical school, technical high school, but she loved it. She went over there for a year as part of this program. But this Tatori University study basically found that rice is rice consumption is dropping off in Asian countries because wealth is expanding in Asian countries, and they're saying, hey, we love rice, but we also want that steak.
Speaker 1: Like Chuck said, you know, every time you throw a little another Yumi tidbit out, she becomes that much more interesting. And I realize how much more interesting both Yumi and Emily are than either one of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's true, I'm kind of a slope compared to Yumi for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, congratulations to both of us because they're both wonderful, interesting women. I mean, Yumi had her her graffiti tag was apothecary for God's sake.
Speaker 2: Pretty great, It's amazing. We already took a second break, right, this is the third act we're in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're in the third act. So we can have a little fun with some of these rice dishes if you want.
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead and fire that gun.
Speaker 1: Well, rice, obviously, and a lot of dishes worldwide is going to be like a bass layer for something, maybe a curry, maybe a stewed meat or vegeta. Maybe you're gonna stir fry something and throw it on top of that rice. That's a great way to eat rice, not just as a just a regular old plain side dish, even though that's fine too, But I've had quite a few of these. I have had jollafrice, Oh yeah, at African restaurants. Yeah, it's got it's you know, got like stewed tomatoes, onions, you know, peppers. A lot of these are kind of similar around the world because it's you know, it's meager, honest ingredients like you know, garlic and thyme and ginger and rice and tomatoes and onions like stuff you get from the ground. Sometimes you can add meat and vegetables. But jollafrice is good on its own.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I looked up a recipe of that, and I'm like, that is something I'm going to try.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's also berryanni.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: I am not more I'm more of a curry guy, so I don't get berryani when I go to Indian restaurants because it's a little dryer. Yeah, but it's got some nice flavors to it, for sure, when I have had it. But it's a rice dish. It's got rice, spices, some vegetables, usually some kind of meat in there. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: You're a red curry guy, green red green.
Speaker 2: Maybe if I'm at a tie place, but I'm a tikka masala and buttered chicken person. Man, I could eat that all day long, every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I mean I've said it before, and I think it was our Chinese food episode. Like, I could subsist entirely on Asian cuisine of the time and be as happy as I've ever been. I don't need the other foods.
Speaker 2: Also shout out sog sog pen yours fine, but chicken sog is.
Speaker 1: It's the best. Yeah, I did mention Paia earlier. I love it. If you aren't familiar, it is a Spanish dish. I think the Moors brought it over the moops and it is that's right. Oh my god, what was that?
Speaker 2: That was from Seinfeld when George played Trio.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, the moops No, sorry, the moops pie is delicious, though it's you know, you cook it in a very specific flat bottomed round pan if you don't have one, like I've cooked it in just cast iron skillets.
Speaker 1: It's got that clam juice. That's where a lot of that seafoody flavor comes from. Depending on what kind of seafood you want, there could be clams, could be shrimp, could be scallops, could be all that stuff, some saffron, some like tomatoes that stew up nicely. It's just delicious. I love a pie. It's it's usually not the kind of thing you can just get a serving of. You get like a larger pie for a table.
Speaker 2: That clam juice thing, didn't that remind me? Didn't you used to make or maybe still do, make Bloody Mary's with clamato.
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, that's the only way for me.
Speaker 2: And that's a Canadian thing. And I can't remember what they call it black really, sir, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've heard of that. I didn't know it was Canadian.
Speaker 2: There's something. There's another rice dish that I've had before. I don't know if you have. It's called sushi, and it's made with that short grain rice season with some vinegar. Like I said. But it actually, and I know we talked about this in the sushi episode. It grew out of a way of preserving fish in vinegar. They would jam some uncooked rice in there with it too, pack it in there, and I guess somebody said there's a better way to do this, and that's where sushi came from. But you can still get that original version called Nara sushi, which I really want to try. I like pickled anything. Man. You could pickle an old shoe and I'd be like, I'll need a little of that.
Speaker 1: Sure, we're not going to go down the list of rice noodle dishes, but we should point out that rice noodles are a thing. We should mention a few rice desserts because a really really nice rice pudding, to me, is one of the more delicious things you can eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm more of a bread pudding guy, but yeah, I'll eat rice pudding as well.
Speaker 1: That's when you cook the rice with the milk and sugar, and usually there's like vanilla or cinnamon or something like that in there.
Speaker 2: I would eat just about anything with condensed milk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh I have a little tip for you, Chuck. You may found this stuff. It's ube condensed milk.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It is the greatest flavor you will ever put in your mouth. It's insane how good it tastes.
Speaker 1: Is it? Do I have to go to like an Asian mart to get it?
Speaker 2: Or is it? You probably order it online? But yeah, you're gonna find it at an Asian store. More than maybe target. Okay, there's also mango sticky rice, which uses that sticky glutenous rice which, by the way, it doesn't have gluten, it's just glutenous, meaning sticky, starchy.
Speaker 1: Gluten with an eye yea, yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of polish rice cake or polish rice cake. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I had not until this.
Speaker 2: It's basically rice and condensed milk and some other stuff. But it's a cake with rice. It looks pretty good.
Speaker 1: Well, we should talk about mochi at least, because mochi is a cake and that is made from the glutenous rice. Is well, and if you've ever, you know, had mochi in the US, it's probably a little different from Japan because it's not always a sweet thing there, But in the US it's usually wrapped around ice cream.
Speaker 2: As most things are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can buy like the little mochi ice cream balls or whatever here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're good. A lot of times. In Japan they'll have like sweet red bean paste inside. That's a traditional mochi there too, but apparently it's references the rabbit in the moon. In Japan, it's a rabbit in the moon rather than a man in the moon, but he's making mochi up there.
Speaker 1: Oh I never knew that.
Speaker 2: Yep, And we can't not mention horn shatta real quick. Okay, yeah, I had.
Speaker 1: I went to a I had a horse shot a flight in Mexico City one time on a food tour. Oh nice, And it was my first kind of real exposure to it that I think maybe my first real exposure, and man, it was so different and delicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's it's rice soaked in evaporated milk, so you know, I'd like it some cinnamon, some vanilla, and then you eventually, after it's mush, you strain it so that it gets any of the grid out. So it's kind of a thickish, milkyish drink that's amazing on its own. But if you're into things like rum or bourbon, they mike really well with hornchhok especially in wintertime.
Speaker 1: Very interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you'll thank me later.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I'll pre thank you now because yeah, I didn't know that was a thing. Oh. I mean, where do you get horchata here?
Speaker 2: You can buy horn shotta. Those people make it and sell it here in the United States, meaning companies or whatever. But it's actually not that hard to make. You might be better off making it yourself.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll give it a shot. I know that this stuff we had in Mexico City was like really really authentic and great.
Speaker 2: Yeaplenty, there's plenty of recipes. It's like five or six ingredients, all of them easily obtainable. So I say make your own chuck.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll give it a try.
Speaker 2: That reminds me, what did you think of cherry pop tarts? Cherry frosted pop tarts?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: Yes, follow up? I texted Josh photos. I immediately went to the store. I bought the cherry frosted pop tarts, and of course I had to get the cinnamon brown sugar cinnamon. Boy, those cherries are beeping delicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I told you They're way better than strawberry, aren't they?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean they are, They're way better. I did my butter trick, believe it or not. I've I think there were four packs in each, so eight total packs, sixteen total pop tarts. And I've only eaten six total pop tarts, so three packs.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 1: Since then, I'm really you. You just can't go in there and house those things in two days.
Speaker 2: You can pretty easily. But I think you're showing a lot of restraint here.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm showing restraint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, way to go, man. And are you enjoying them more than if you just ate them all at once? Nah? That's awesome. You got anything else?
Speaker 1: I got nothing else? Grow rice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go grow some rice, make your own horshata, make some sushi, make some sticky rice, make some curries. Just do all that stuff some jalla rice. Get to it. And while you're making all that, we'll just go ahead and read some listener.
Speaker 1: Now, well this is from Ted. Ted wrote in because Ted, I'll just read it. You responded to Ted. You're gonna send Ted something, which is very nice of you.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, are recently finished listening to the full stuff you should know catalog? Yeah, big deal for the fifth time. That's a big deal, Ted.
Speaker 2: For sure. I think it's a big deal if you listen to it all once.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, you're doing your new thing. Yeah, okay, I like it.
Speaker 1: See it's attached screenshot for proof, Ted, We didn't need proof. We take you out your word. At least I finished my most recent listen. Guys, Thanks for all the wonderful hours. As an appreciation, here are the five things I most like about stuff you should know. Number one, Josh and Chuck have character arcs as their lives have changed over the seventeen years, and they're not afraid to share some of that personal stuff. That's a big time character arcs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean seventeen years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, think about what's happened to anyone over their last seventeen years, A lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Number two, Josh and Chuck don't talk over each other like many other podcasters do. We don't often sometimes we do, but yeah, we usually let each other go right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we try to. I mean every once in a while, there's a stumble here there, but no, we're pretty good about that. We always have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But boy, some podcasts, even some of my favorite ones, at times I'm like, what is going on? There's like three or four people talking.
Speaker 2: Oh, you can't do that, can't do that.
Speaker 1: Number three, I've learned more about movies and popular music by listening to stuff you should Know than actually by watching movies or listening to music.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like to think that we have imparted some pretty cool recommendations over the years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just noticed. Ted said he'd send in five things he loved the most. There's only four, So I guess you.
Speaker 2: Know, Ted, this is beautiful because I know what the last one is. Oh.
Speaker 1: I bet that's why he did it. The number four. Josh and Chuck never make it all the way through a list, of course, Ted, I'm so dense, I didn't even get the joke.
Speaker 2: It was a great That was a great arcane in joke for Stuff you should Note, Ted, Bravo. I'm listening to the entire catalog five times and we are trying to figure out something special to get you for it. So thank you for letting us know that's right.
Speaker 1: Thanks Ted.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ted. If you want to be like Ted and talk about how much you like Stuff you Should Know, or how many times you've listened to Stuff you Should Know, or whatever you want to say, you can send it in an email to stuff Podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.