Speaker 1: What is going on?
Speaker 2: You are listening to Rich on tech Live on Rich Demiro rich on tech dot tv. This is the show where I talk about tech and help you get the most out of your gadgets. Plus they take your phone calls live. Hey there, what's going on? I'm Rich Demiro, tech reporter at KTLA five News in Los Angeles. I'm also at rich on tech dot TV. This is my life talking about this stuff, playing with this stuff, learning more about it, and of course helping you get the most out of all the tech gadgets that you have around your house. Because let's be honest, this is a this is a growing field. We're not getting any less tech around us. We just keep getting more tech around us. Phone lines are open. Call in with your tech questions. The phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. And of course welcome to everyone watching on Facebook Live. Thanks so much for being there behind the scenes as I record the show. And of course if you're watching or listening rather on the podcast, thanks for tuning in. You could be listening in your car, you could be walking, you could be I don't know, you could be anywhere. You could be anywhere in the world. That's the cool thing about this. On the show today, we're going to talk about kids in their tablets. We're gonna talk about the Windows Surface Book two, this new app that is kind of cool cleans up your contacts and helps you manage those. I know it's been a while since a contact management app was exciting, but this one is.
Speaker 1: I'll give you my review.
Speaker 2: Of the Pixel too, and of course I will check social media and.
Speaker 1: Look at some of your comments.
Speaker 2: Man, let's talk about this topic first off on the show though, kids and tablets. You know, if you guys know me and you see me on TV, you know I've got two kids, or on Instagram or Twitter, I've got a you know, two boys and they're three and six. And let me tell you a never a dull moment when you have kids. Obviously that's the number one thing. But the second part of that is that there's a real struggle these day with the whole idea of kids and their tablets and kids and electronics and kids and how much do they watch now When I was a kid, this is all applying to now, Okay, I'm not talking about when I was a kid. When I was a kid, here's how it worked, you got home from school, You got up early before school, you watched cartoons for as long as you wanted until literally you had to walk out the door.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Then you would get home from school, throw down your stuff, and you would either watch video game or play video games, or you'd watch shows on TV until it was time to do your homework or time to go outside or time to go to bed, either one.
Speaker 1: I mean, we played outside a lot. That was the other thing. When we played outside, you would just go outside and.
Speaker 2: Play, and your parents you just know, like this is the time to come home. I had one friend's dad who would whistle for him anyway. That's all when I was a kid. Nowadays, it's a little bit different. We are in this world of digital devices and what a kids want to do when they come home. They basically want to sit down and act like a bowl full of mush and absorb everything on their tablet. And I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. I think that there's a anything.
Speaker 1: In moderation is good.
Speaker 2: But this new research from Common Sense tells us kind of what the deal is. And here's the first stat Forty two percent of kids ages zero to eight have their own tablet, and that's up from one percent in twenty eleven. One percent in twenty eleven. Now get it, the iPad didn't come out till twenty ten, so you know this, there's not much to think about. Before that, people were glued to their TVs. But the TV has given way to the tablet. And it's a weird thing because, you know, the tablet is much more personal than the TV. With the TV, at least you had you know, your mom or dad could walk by in the background and see you that you were watching a cartoon.
Speaker 1: You kind of had an idea.
Speaker 2: But nowadays everything's so personalized. It's so individualized right on your tablet screen that you barely even know what your kid's doing on there. My kid was watching this show on Netflix, by the way, Netflix, This is just you know, come on, common sense. When I put my kid's profile on Netflix, let me lock it down with a password. Okay, just some sort of passcode. I mean, isn't that the most basic thing that should be available to me as a parent, is that I can lock down when I put my kid on Netflix. And I get it. You can make the argument that, oh, rich, well, you should watch your kids better. You know, maybe you should stand over them the whole time. They shouldn't be able to see what's on Netflix without you looking. Well, guess what real life comes in here to play. And you can't always watch your kids every single minute of the day what they're watching on iPad. So my kid the other day happen to watch He's watching this show and gosh, I gotta figure out what the name of this show is. I'm gonna look it up on Netflix real quick, because the only reason I knew how bad this show was is because my photographer, Steven Stark, told me that he was watching it and he was like, oh, yeah, it's really bad. But it looks like a cartoon. So, oh gosh, what is the name of this show? It has a little cartoon.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I can't find it.
Speaker 2: It's like it looks like a kids cartoon and it is not okay. And I don't know if I'll ever be able to find this show on here really fast. But it's brand new. It just came out, and it's like, it's not a good show. It's not a show for kids. And my kid was watching it and I'm like, uh, oh, you know, give me that. Give me that back. You cannot be on there. Oh big mouth. There it is big Mouth. That's the show you I don't even know. You don't even want to start watching it because the stuff my photographer is telling me about it, that is not a show for kids. Somehow he switched to my profile and started watching that. Anyway, average amount of time spent with mobile devices skyrockets increasing ten times. So it used to be five minutes a day in twenty eleven. Now it's forty eight minutes in twenty seventeen. So forty eight minutes now that that's on a good day. I think for a lot of kids, forty eight minutes with their tablet is like, I mean, think about it, that's just two shows. And you know that's that's literally two shows. Now, that's what I try to limit my kids to each night when they come home, is just two shows. But some days or more some days are not.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 2: They're also going to start some public service announcements with Will Ferrell arguing for a device free dinner. So they're saying, basically, put down your phones during dinner. And this is something we tried. We actually went cold turkey at the table dinner table with the kids. We said, just after a couple of years, we said, you know what, no more iPads at the table.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: We are no longer having iPads at the table. And believe me, we've all been guilty. The parents too, do the same thing. You sit down and next thing you know, you're looking at your phone because you get a notification, and it ruins the entire dinner. So I'm guilty of this. My wife is guilty of it, the kids are guilty of it. We're all guilty of it. And the reality is it's not that we're doing anything wrong. I mean, come on, how exciting is a slot machine when you roll the dice and you know or you pull that handle and you don't know what's going to come up. What do you think is happening when you're looking at your notifications the same exact thing.
Speaker 1: That's all you're doing.
Speaker 2: When you're when you're pulling down on Instagram and you're pulling down on Facebook to refresh the feed. Think about it. I mean, you're you're you're playing the lottery and it's fun. So I'm not I'm not arguing against this. I'm just saying life could be better. And when I was a kid. Yeah, we had we had the TV on during dinner. A lot of times. We had a TV in a kitchen. So I don't know what the answer is. I think that it's a it's in moderation. So with my kids, Monday night free for all. Everyone's tired. I mean, what are you gonna do. It's Monday, so they can eat in front of the TV. They could do whatever they want. Tuesday night, I'm a little more strict. I'm like, all right, no iPads. And then if they bring them, I'm like, all right. But uh, you know, you gotta do what you gotta You gotta do what you gotta do. Sometimes it's just a matter of survival as a parent. And if you give them their iPad and they watch a show and they're calm and they're enjoying life, that's that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But it was a big decision in our family when to get them tablets and when to let them watch these things. And it used to be a shared device and now, of course they each have their own. But you know, they can be a lifesaver, believe me, life saver. At the restaurant, we were out at a restaurant, on Friday night, and we were able to bring the kids because we had them have their iPads at the table. Now, I know that sounds terrible, but the reality is, number one, we're with our kids at least, and so we're functioning as a family. Number Two, we didn't have to pay for a babysitter, which was nice. But number three, you know, they get to go out to a restaurant and enjoy that time with us, even though they eventually moved on to their iPads.
Speaker 1: And so now I was talking with my wife.
Speaker 2: Because I feel like we had such a successful dinner that maybe we're going to try the thing where we maybe talk first until dinner comes, and then once dinner comes and they eat, then they can have their iPad. So it's kind of like dessert. You don't get it till you finish your food. In our house, let's see what else?
Speaker 1: What else? What else?
Speaker 2: Forty nine percent of children eight or under watch TV or videos or play video games in the hour before bedtime, and according to pediatricians, apparently that's a no no. Now, you know, we try to make the hour before bed more like, you know, more like reading and stuff like that. So if they're but some nights again they're just going straight from watching right to bed and you know, it just depends.
Speaker 1: Again, it's all moderation.
Speaker 2: But I think these stats are really telling because the way that technology has really, you know.
Speaker 1: Affected the childhood is is so different.
Speaker 2: It's it's really it's really interesting to me because this is the way I put it. I grew up with a screen in front of my face from the time I was about I don't know, in my teens, I don't know, let's say fifteen, okay, and I had my first computer, and then of course my you know, you just had a computer, a laptop, whatever, and then of course you had things come along like the like the phones, but the phones were never in front of your face all the time.
Speaker 1: Now they are.
Speaker 2: My kids meanwhile, they know how to swipe from about six months, and I think.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of kids.
Speaker 2: My kid yesterday he stood up on the on the little table in front of the TV and he's sitting there tapping the TV, tapping the TV and trying to swipe on the TV. And that my other kid did that too, And it's just crazy. It's just built into who they are. All right, phone lines are open, I'm gonna take your tech questions next three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three coming up, I will take some of your questions live. You're listening to Rich on tech rich on tech Live.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to Rich on tech Live. You can subscribe to this podcast by searching Rich on tech in your favorite podcasting app.
Speaker 1: That way, you can listen anywhere. Welcome back to Rich on tech Live.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Rich DeMuro, where we talk about technology, your life, your technology, whatever you want to talk about basically as it relates to technology. Lines are open three one zero five nine four three zero zero three, and we're just gonna go right to our first caller here in the sixty six to one area code.
Speaker 3: Hey Rich Greg from the Antelope Valley.
Speaker 1: Greg, how you doing today on this Thursday?
Speaker 3: Not too bad in yourself?
Speaker 1: I am always doing fantastic on a Thursday, so day before Friday.
Speaker 3: Yes, great. I have a little problem here. I have had my iPhone six S for it'll be a year in November, and you know, of course accidents happened. I have dropped it and within I think I dropped it a good good, a good drop last December, and the bottom left hand side is a little if there's a little crack there, Okay, okay, But within the last week I have noticed some fine red lines on the left hand of my screen going from the battery icon all the way down to the that I have my Safari button there, Okay, and they don't go away, and it's a little bit annoying. So I'm wondering, is it something to do with my screen or is it something to do with the software or hardware.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds like it could be. I think it's something to do with the Well, it could be the screen, could be a screen issue, could be some pixels that have gotten ruined, but if they're lighting up red, they're not dead. I think it's something to do with some sort of logic board or something that's driving the video on the phone, and that's what's causing it. And it could you know, it could every time your phone is moving or get shifted or jostled, it could make the problem worse eventually.
Speaker 1: So what are you thinking of doing?
Speaker 2: Are you thinking it's a success so it's not terribly old.
Speaker 1: Are you thinking of upgrading?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not right now. I was just thinking of getting it fixed. And I've you know, seen places that replace the you know, like a broken screen, so I one that's why I was calling to see if, well, if that's something I should do, or if it's you know, something inside I get.
Speaker 2: Here's the deal. I mean, you could start there. You can go to one of those places. If you want someone to come to you, you can go to iicracked dot com.
Speaker 1: They'll come right to your house and fix it.
Speaker 2: Or you can go to like I would not go to some random place, you know, like in the mall, because the problem here is that this may not fix it and you know, or it may come back and then you have to go back to them. So you want someplace that sort of has a warranty on their on their stuff, and the place at the mall, you know, like the random places that just you know, they open up overnight and it's just some kid. You know, they may not offer the service, they may not be there if you need them in three months. So something like I cracked the guarantee the work that they do if the screen cracks again. But mostly these companies, you know, they will replace the screen, but it sounds like you may need the LCD replaced as well. So if there's a lot of damage, they can do that, but it's just gonna cost you more.
Speaker 1: So here's what I would do.
Speaker 2: I would go into like a place like New break I Fix, and I would get an estimate.
Speaker 1: Look, have them look at it.
Speaker 2: They see these things every day, so they know kind of the difference between what's going on, you know, if something's going to just take a screen or need a part inside. So I'd go there, get the estimate. If it's three hundred bucks, no way, you know what I mean. I mean, it's time time to get a new phone. And what you can do is if it's something like three hundred dollars, then you can sell this phone on eBay and you'll get some money for it, because someone out there on eBay knows how to fix these phones and they'll fix it and then they'll flip it and sell it.
Speaker 1: But for you, it might be too much trouble.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, right right, So I would say do that, go in, get an estimate, and sometimes they may say, hey, look we can replace it, and we can't guarant tea that anything's gonna work any better, or that the lines are gonna go away because they just they just don't know until they actually put a new screen on there. So that's that's what you're sort of up against.
Speaker 1: Greg.
Speaker 3: Okay, and you said the what was the name of the place you break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's like a little chain of places are you in? You said, you're in Los Angeles area? Right, Uh, it's you Break I Fix And that's that's the one that's a store. And the reason why I recommend them is because a lot of the third party insurance companies will send you there, so I know they're pretty legit and they have a lot of locations.
Speaker 1: So find one of those.
Speaker 2: You Break I Fix, and if you want someone to come to you, you can just go on I cracked dot com and they will send a technician to your house and they'll do it anywhere I was at. I was in Florida on a shoot one time, and the the whatever the I Cracked folks like literally came to fix this athlete's phone like right there in the like outside the locker room, basically, you know, one of the players. And I was like, Wow, that's pretty amaz that you can just do this anywhere so.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay, but you don't if I was to take it to Apple, they even though it's under the still under the warranty, they wouldn't fix it because of that crack.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, I mean you could do that first. They're they're going to tell you right off the bat, So do that first. You know, it can't hurt. They're not going to charge you. But what they're gonna do is they're going to see that crack, and like when I took my wife's phone in there was like a diagnosis fee or something like that, so they believe me.
Speaker 1: Apple's not stupid.
Speaker 2: But at the same time they may say, oh my gosh, we just noticed that your phone has a crack problem that you know, if it's turned left, it cracks, so you know, you may they may you never know. I would take it there first and then go to these other places, but don't let them. Don't pay at Apple for them to diagnose it because they're their repair is always going to be more expensive.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, well, thank you, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Greg, thanks so much for listening and being a part of rich On Tech Live. I do appreciate it. Greg in Antelope Valley. All right, let's take one more call here in the nine oh nine area code.
Speaker 1: Nine oh nine you're on with Rich. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 4: Hi? This is Sam from Pomona.
Speaker 1: Sam from Pomona. How you doing today?
Speaker 4: I'm doing pretty good. Got a couple of tech questions for you.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully I have. It's a couple of tech answers.
Speaker 4: Okay, I recently got rid of my cable because the bill got way too high. I put in an outdoor antenna and now I'm getting, you know, HD great reception. I watch you guys on kt LA literally every morning.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: One of the things that you know, I had was a DVR, and I kind of missed that because I'll go into the kitchen to make breakfast and miss stuff, you know, and I come back and anyway, so I did a little research and I bought one of these uh TV tuners with the ability to record. I went over to Fries and I got this at the Trek Okay, and it's like forty nine dollars and brought it home, set it up. The thing works, you know, pretty good. I mean i'd give a you know, an eight out of ten maybe, But the remote control with this thing, the buttons are so tiny, and I mean literally I got to put my glasses on and turn on a light to figure out what I'm doing with this thing. Have you got any experience with these?
Speaker 2: Yes, So I'll tell you the one that I recommend that I really like. I have an antenna on my house and I get all the channels. It's great, and I can pause live TV, I can record.
Speaker 1: But the one I recommend is.
Speaker 2: Called Tableau TA b l O. And this is there's a couple of them out there. There's one there's Tableau is. I think it's probably one of the best. But here's how it works. It's it's going to work a little bit differently from what you have. But what Tableau does is it basically records over the air. It's it's just a box and then it has you know, you you attach a hard and you can record. So there's a subscription fee of five dollars a month if you want to set recordings you know, like you would on a TVO two weeks out, or you can just set manual recordings and see one day of guide information for free.
Speaker 1: And that's free, unlimited. So that's the one that I like.
Speaker 2: And what's cool about this one and it's probably a little bit different than yours is that it also works in conjunction with a smart device, so you can actually access not only your recordings from any iPad, iPhone, but also an Apple TV, Amazon Fire, TV Roku.
Speaker 1: It's just infinitely better.
Speaker 2: And the only thing I noticed about this that I the only downside I would say that it has is about a twelve second buffer from when you try to change channels. Now, if you're leaving it tuned to one channel or you're just tuning in a show, you won't really notice that.
Speaker 1: It's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 2: But if you're flipping channels a lot, which you probably aren't doing with over the air channels because there's not that many of them, it probably won't be a problem. But that's the one I like. I think it's not much more than the one that you bought. Two tuners. Let's see how much a two tuner is. Let's see here, select your country. It is, Yeah, about a hundred bucks for a refurbished one. So and I think a refurbished on this thing will be just fine. So that's what I recommend. Definitely check it out, Sam, and I think you'll be much happier than the tiny thing that you got from from Fries and nothing wrong with that, but I just don't think it has as many features as you would like. And I think Tableau is kind of set up for this new world we live in of the over the air DVR.
Speaker 1: So check it out.
Speaker 2: All right, there you have it. We are going to take more of your phone calls after this. The phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. When we come back, i'll talk about the new Microsoft Surface book and man, who would have thought that contacts could be fun again? I'll tell you about a new app that helps you manage those as well. You're listening to Rich tech Live.
Speaker 1: I'm Rich Demiro. Will be right back.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to Rich on Tech Live. You can find me on Facebook at facebook dot.
Speaker 1: Com slash rich on tech.
Speaker 2: There I'll share fun, tech tips, photos and pretty much anything else I find interesting.
Speaker 1: See you there, Welcome back there to Rich on tech Live. I'm Richdimiro.
Speaker 2: You are listening to the show where we talk about your technology and all things gadgets and gear and fun and it's just what I love to talk about.
Speaker 1: So that's why I'm talking about it because I can.
Speaker 2: It's all on Facebook, it's all live, it's all free, and of course the podcast you can listen to anywhere. Just go to richon tech dot tv and search podcast, or just search rich on Tech in your favorite podcasting app.
Speaker 1: Windows. Microsoft.
Speaker 2: Microsoft is very busy these days making their gadgets. They have come out with a lot of new stuff lately, and now they've got a brand new Surface Book two. Surfacebook was you know, every A lot of the gadgets that Microsoft is coming out with are very popular, like they're they're well done. And I've got to say, after seeing Microsoft kind of struggle for so many years in various different aspects of kind of the mobile world and all this different stuff, it's nice to see that they're really killing it in the place that matters the most, which is their bread and butter, which their computers.
Speaker 1: And this new Surface Book two.
Speaker 2: Is kind of a sequel to the first Surface Book, which was good, but you know, you can always tell a first gen product.
Speaker 1: A lot of people loved it.
Speaker 2: But now they've done some refinements and this new Surface Book two is five times more powerful than the original, but it still has all day battery life and the neat thing about the Surface book. If you don't know what this thing is, it's a computer, it's a laptop, it's a tablet.
Speaker 1: It's everything all in one.
Speaker 2: And it's different than the regular surface because this is more like a laptop, like a real laptop surface. You can't really has a keyboard attachment, but you can't really put it on your knees to like use it as a laptop because it doesn't work that way.
Speaker 1: It kind of like it just doesn't.
Speaker 2: I can't explain it, but it's almost like a tent and it doesn't stay. So this Surface book is much more like a keyboard with a solid surface that connects to a tablet. They can also disconnect. So people love this thing. It's sold very well. Everyone who got one really liked it. The reviews were great and Surfacebook too. And the reason why people like surface is because if you're doing real business, iPads are great.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: You know, people love their iPads, but iPad is primarily a consumption device. And yes, you can do office on there. You can do I mean, you could do everything on there. I mean I'm producing this whole live show on an iPhone. So it's amazing what you can do. But the reality is, when you really want to get business done, you want to do presentations, all that kind of stuff, sometimes you just want a good old fashioned computer. And this is kind of the best of both worlds because you get all the ports. You get USB the regular one, and now the new thing is that they've added USB C and then of course you have a full size SD card slot, so you don't need dongles. I just bought this new MacBook Pro and I can't show it too because I don't want to mess anything up. But the reality is it's been a learning experience because everything needs to be plugged in with some sort of adapter because everything there's only two USBC ports on it.
Speaker 1: And that's it.
Speaker 2: So I love the fact that it's simple, but it takes a little bit more work. And I've noticed, you know, I've had to buy all new cables. I've had to buy some adapters U and sometimes people just don't want to deal with all that mess. Surfacebook is not cheap, by the way. Surfacebook two starts at fifteen hundred dollars for the thirteen inch model twenty five hundred dollars for the fifteen inch model. Pre Orders start on November ninth and delivery on November sixteenth. Phone lines are open three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Let me tell you about an app that I've been playing with for the past couple days. I think is really cool and I never thought that Contacts would be cool. So, by the way, playing on iPhone pla with Siri, something that Siri does really well is she will, if you have an iPhone and use sort of the Gmail app on there, do yourself a favor and actually sign in to your mail on the phone itself. So use the native mail app even if you have Gmail app installed in there. And let me tell you why. Siri does this amazing thing where she can look inside all your email and kind of gather information from there. And I know it sounds creepy and scary, but it's not. She will literally if you pull down on your main screen and type in the name of someone that maybe sent you an email, she will tell you what their phone number, what she thinks their phone number is.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: I wish we had this on our computers because it's really smart. Anyway, I'm going outside of what I'm talking about here. But this app is called card Hop Cardhop and it comes from someone who made another great app for the iPhone called fantastic hel And what they've done is they've kind of pioneered the natural language where you can just type in your appointment and it will kind of parse it and put it in to a put it into a calendar event. Well, card hop does the same thing but for contacts. So this is really cool. Basically, here's how it works. You install it on your computer. It's only Mac right now. But when someone sends you an email, you know how usually at the bottom of their email they've got their entire signature line with all of their contact information. Well you literally just take that, copy it and paste it into card Hop and it just immediately parses all that data and puts it in the proper fields in the contacts and then of course it sinks it to your iPhone or Google Contacts or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's really cool, and.
Speaker 2: In fact, the developers know how cool it is because when you paste it in, you watch the little things move over like.
Speaker 1: And it's really kind of fun.
Speaker 2: And then of course you can search your stuff, you can add, you can edit and It's not gonna work perfectly every time, but it is really good. My only downside to this Apple Number one is fifteen bucks. I think it's normally twenty, but right now they're giving it at fifteen, and then you get a twenty one day grace period, so you get twenty one days to try it out, which makes sense for something that's fifteen dollars.
Speaker 1: Believe me. I was at a meeting the other day and this kid didn't want to buy an app that was two dollars.
Speaker 2: I was like, come on, dude, it's two bucks. But this the only problem I've noticed with cardhop, and I see this with everything. It doesn't pull in contact photos from Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter, and I wish it would. It takes them from Gravitar, which you may or may not have heard of, but not everyone has that. So to me, if this thing pulled in Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter photos, I'd be buying it tomorrow. Right now, I'm still playing with it for the twenty one days. But it is an amazing little app, and I really think that they need to someone needs to do this. I used to have this great app on Android called hack Sinc. And it would at first Facebook was really nice about giving you all your contact photos right and it would sync with your iPhone. If you notice the new iOS eleven, that doesn't happen anymore. The Facebook app doesn't do it anymore. If you have a way to get Facebook photos into my contacts, let me know in the comments, because I don't know a way anymore, and it's really annoying because I love having photos of my friends that are updated in my contacts when someone calls and I just can't find it anymore. So yeah, that's my little mini rant. I don't know why they don't do it, but they should.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Phone lines are open. Three one zero five nine.
Speaker 2: Four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three.
Speaker 1: You are listening to rich on tech Live.
Speaker 2: When we come back, I'll tell you what I think of the new Google Pixel two, and.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a hint. It's not as good as I thought it would be. I'll be back after this.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to rich on tech Live. You can find me on Instagram with the username rich on tech. There I'll share random photos including stuff I eat, my family, and where I'm traveling.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on tech Live. I'm Rich DeMuro.
Speaker 2: Thanks to everyone watching on Facebook Live and thanks for downloading and listening.
Speaker 1: To the podcast.
Speaker 2: This is the show where I answer your tech questions live and talk about all the cool stuff that's happening in the tech world. One of those things right now is the Pixel Pixel two, so Pixel last year's phone. This is Google's kind of answer to the iPhone. And I hate saying that, but that's the way people know it. It's not really an answer to the iPhone. It's just their phone. But the reality is that's the way it gets portrayed in the media because you know, it's it's everything has to be an answer to the iPhone.
Speaker 1: But it's really not. It's just Google doing what Google does, which is make devices too.
Speaker 2: So Pixel two. I was very excited about the Pixel one. Well I didn't really know to expect out of the Pixel one, but I fell in love with it. Love the camera, love the software. It was just a great phone. Very different from the way iOS operates, but really nice phone. I held that phone for the longest I think out of any phone last year. I think it might have been a record of eight months. That's pretty amazing. When you test every single phone it's it's not easy to keep keep it in your pocket because you get the new phone in three months, and all of a sudden, you want to switch to that because it's got something new and different and you're trying it out.
Speaker 1: Long story short, I love the Pixel Pixel two.
Speaker 2: I was super excited for it because I assume they would add water resistance, and they did, but they Man, I don't know where to start with this thing.
Speaker 1: It's just getting This thing is.
Speaker 2: Getting trashed on reviews. Everyone's talking about how terrible the screen is. And I will say I noticed when I was taking pictures with the Pixel two that they just weren't as bright and vivid as the first Pixel. Now when I look on my computer, they're not as bad. So maybe it is a screen. But the reality is it's not a deal breaker. It's not like this phone is flawed. It's not like this phone is ruined. It's still a really nice phone. But the problem is I'm actually thinking for the first time in a long time that Android feels like it is behind iOS. And I used to think that Android in some aspects was ahead of iOS.
Speaker 1: But guess what, the iPhone now.
Speaker 2: Has all the features that iOS people used to love dual cameras. You know, all these little fancy camera tricks, you know, all these little iOS software things that you can do, wireless charging. But the reality is now Android feels like it's behind. Especially this phone, when I thought I was gonna love it so much, it doesn't have it doesn't have the wireless charging.
Speaker 1: It's got a nice little screen.
Speaker 2: The camera is pretty amazing, but I don't think it's like leaps and bounds ahead of the first pixel. So at this point, if you're looking at an Android, I almost feel like the Samsung is going to do a better job for you than the pixel, because you know, the pixel is like I'm almost bored by it. I'm like, okay, well I can take a picture with a blurry background.
Speaker 1: What else can I do? Not much? I mean, yeah, I can.
Speaker 2: Squeeze it and activate the Google Assistant that way, what else can I do? There's no headphone jack, so I can't plug those in. But I'm fine with that, not a big deal to me. But I also feel like the iOS just feels ahead. In the wearables, the Apple Watch when you pair it with an iPhone is just amazing. It's almost a magical experience. Car Play I used to not think was very good, and now after using CarPlay for the past eight weeks or so, I'm like.
Speaker 1: This is way better than Android Auto Android Auto.
Speaker 2: When I want to switch between my different audio applications, I've got to press a button and I got to go through all these menus on Apple, I can just boom, I'm there, and I really just feel like I'm at the first for the first time in a long time. I just feel like Android is letting me down. And I'm not saying that's not a good reason to get this. If you love Android, you're gonna love this phone. But it's really gonna make me and a lot of people think twice because we used to think, oh, if it comes from Google, it's the best. Not so much anymore. But I do like the software. It's nice, but it just doesn't have a lot of stuff going on there. I like get bored. I'm looking at it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Okay, what can I do on this thing?
Speaker 2: Jonathan Geller boy Genius. He started the website bgr dot com boy Genius Report.
Speaker 1: He's not very nice about it. Here's what he says.
Speaker 2: Some have dipped their toes in the water, but none will just come out and say it. This phone is a complete you know what show of epic proportions and people should seriously question why the maker of the world's number one operating system can even make a good smartphone. In twenty seventeen, Pixel t xcel isn't sitting on a shelf, it's going in the trash.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Ouch man, that's really like whoo, that's not very nice at all. Well, there you go, So thanks for listening. You can find me on the KTLA five morning news every morning in Los Angeles and I'm on around five, fifteen, seven fifty, and nine thirty every morning, and of course you can tune in other cities too. We've got Peter on the live chat saying he watches me every day on WJW Fox eight in Cleveland. Thank you so much for watching in Cleveland, one of my favorite shows with Stephanie and Gabe in the afternoon. That's actually my last live shot of the day. So it's always a fun one for me because it's like one o'clock where you guys are, but ten am where I am. So just letting you guys know on Monday, if you're listening to this before Monday, October. Let's see October twenty fourth, Tuesday. Rather, I will be on the Hallmark channel Home and Family Show, So Hallmark TV you can find it. It's not a lot of the streaming services. I know it's on my direct TV now. You can tvo it or DVR at whatever people do these days. But Home and Family is the show. It's kind of like their version of a morning show. It's kind of fun. They tape it here at Universal Studios in Los Angeless, a great little show. I'll be on that on Tuesday. And of course you can always listen to me on KFI AM six forty in the five o'clock hour on Wednesdays and sometimes on Fridays too, so or whenever anyway, thanks so much for listening.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You can find me on all the various social media's. I'm on Instagram, I'm on Twitter, I'm on Facebook. Hopefully I don't blast you guys with too much stuff. And you can subscribe to this podcast by searching Rich on Tech on your favorite podcasting apps. Thanks so much for listening. I'm Rich Dmiro. I will see you and next time