Speaker 1: Lots to say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: We got Lost, Just say we got lost?
Speaker 3: Just say.
Speaker 2: What a fat here? And we hope you say because.
Speaker 4: We got lost?
Speaker 2: Just say, yeah, we got lost. Just say here's Bobby that.
Speaker 3: They welcome to the show. That's my cashle. I'm Bobby Bones. What was that voice? I don't. I don't have to. I don't, I don't. I don't put anything in my hair. I don't purm my hair. Hair looks great, though I don't get something. But the question was, what do you do to your hair?
Speaker 5: I don't do anything, But do you have somebody to come over and trimle the tips or whatever they do when you get long hair?
Speaker 6: So I have actually never, at least in the past twenty years twenty five years, fixed my hair.
Speaker 3: What do you mean you've never fixed your hair? You've definitely got a new hair.
Speaker 6: I guess my fingers. But there are only two ways my hair ever gets fixed. One when I was doing a lot of television.
Speaker 5: Right, somebody's gonna, you know, get in there. And I mean I had a hair spray.
Speaker 6: It traveled with me at a stylist that traveled with me your hair makeup erst supply one for those big trips they do.
Speaker 3: But you want the comfort level. Yeah, well, like I had a person like that.
Speaker 6: I kept on it's important to have my own people, right, you know me, I rolled to with all my own people.
Speaker 3: All yeah, seriously, yeah, that's I have a circle.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's that, and I want to make sure that so otherwise, I never fixed my hair. So I started to grow my hair out, and not not to grow it out on purpose, but our daughter's hair is funny and it's long, and she thinks it's funny that my hair is long and so solidarity, and so I don't know how to fix my hair.
Speaker 3: So this is just there's nothing to fix because you've got great flow.
Speaker 6: Some days if it if it gets humid, though, like I finally get it.
Speaker 3: It's like, m well, it's.
Speaker 5: Better than having your kids walk up behind you when you the hat off. Half the time to be like do I see your bold spot? See your bolt?
Speaker 3: Was like, save it. It's not that bad. It might be sure on camera. I don't think of you as a bald spot guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I've got something and look, I know you you bring it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't think he was a bald spot guy.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that. I mean, well, that's because I've got, like, you know, the spray paint, and I.
Speaker 6: Just old school and no shame in that shaming that no shaming that Von Miller was gonna play for the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do you know he had nine sacks last year?
Speaker 6: I did not until I read it. I just saw it in that story. You may have known that already. I dinner with Von super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Oh did you really? Why what do you mean same agent, like agent type association? Are you buddies? Like do you guys talk about the Gmail and all this stuff? I was gonna say, we literally the same agent. And so that by the way, I was at the Super Bowl and I didn't get invited that dinner at all. How many people were at the dinner?
Speaker 6: Me, my agent, my agent, partner, agent Vaughn, and Vaughn's guy like Vin's media guy, like he's the best. And so he went on Dancing with the Stars and so he tried he did that show.
Speaker 3: He did the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's amazing how many people come on this show. I'm telling you that are involved or have been on that show with Dancing with the Stars, and you have this immediate connection and you have the trump card that you actually won the show.
Speaker 6: So with Vaughn, they had told him that I was on it. And also it's it's like text A and m von Miller. This is like von Miller, like Denver Bronco. This is like super I mean this, this is Vin's like a real deal NFL player, like a winner. And so we're sitting and and his media guy sitting to the right of me, and Vonn's sitting at the left, and he goes, you should talk to von about Dancing with the Stars. And I said, I don't know. I'm not going to bring it up like we're at super Bowl, and he goes, no, nobody ever talks about it with them. Yeah, he wants to talk. I'm telling you, he wants to talk about it. And so I said, hey, man, we had dance Stars. He's like yeah, he said you were on it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We talked for like twenty minutes, like he was just he was so happy to have somebody to talk about it with.
Speaker 3: It understood it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he said, I do a lot of hard things physically, but because of what that was how long we had to do it and how new it was.
Speaker 3: He goes, That's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
Speaker 6: So we're going on and on and I think he finished like fourth or fifth or something in this season, and he goes, yeah, so I felt I get did pretty good. Where'd you finish?
Speaker 3: Oh? He had no idea, no idea, no idea, no idea.
Speaker 6: I said, did pretty good. I sid did pretty good. He said, you know, I didn't think I got much of a chance, and he goes, yeah. He goes, I didn't either. And then he when I said did pretty good, I think he thought I didn't want to say where I finished.
Speaker 3: And I said, yeah, I won. He goes, you did what.
Speaker 6: I said, Yeah, I won. So really nice guy. But I was talking to him about just getting older. Yeah, and I said, because I think he was the Redskins like the Commanders recently, right, I know I still make the sin. He was just going, so this is before he maybe went over all right, huh, No, I guess i'd have been. He played the season with them that year, right, the Cleanders last yer. Yeah, yeah, And I was like, how is the speed of the game. He goes, well, I would say, the speed of the game's faster, and I said, then when you started, he goes, yeah, he goes. But then I had a coach tell me, no, I'm just getting slower, and he goes. I tend to think that's what it is. It's the Father of Time nine. He's the best of all these guys, and it was.
Speaker 5: It's crazy because Vaughn was one of the most disruptive pass rushers. I mean throughout his career. Even now he saw, like I said, nine sacks last year, so he can still go.
Speaker 3: But you can.
Speaker 5: It definitely wears on you, like especially at those positions when you're a bookend where you're known as a speed pass rusher, that eventually it's just a step step slower here there, and you might not noticeably see it on film, but they know it right because they've been.
Speaker 3: At the elite of the elite of those guys.
Speaker 6: I think he'll be great for Dallas in that I don't think they're going to expect him to be Vaughn. I think they're going to expect him to be a guy that knows how to run that defense, that can be a leader in the locker room and just some stability. They were terrible last year and their defense is going to be really good this year, especially adding Caleb Downs behind him as an absolute stud I mean even watching some of the camp rightage of Caleb Downs.
Speaker 5: Just his ability to communicate. I've covered him last year at Ohio State and was talking to Matt Patricia, who I was with in New England and known him for a long time. He's their defensive coordinator. He's like, it's surreal how intelligent he is is football IQ. His understanding of what we're trying to do, communication skills, being in the right spot. So to have somebody like that in the back end of your defense and setting everything up back there, because that's they struggled mightily in terms of their secondary last year. But they have a stability piece like that. And then, as you talked about, Vaughan adds that leadership. But he won't be an every down guy, right, He's going to be a pass rush specialist. He's going to come in fresh on third down. They're going to set up some games. He's going to go one hundred miles an hour when he gets called in to go after the passer, and it can be very productive in that role because he's not gonna have the same wearing terrors if you're playing every single down.
Speaker 6: Let's draft back and forth the teams, and it doesn't have to be your favorite team, but it still can because you're a Patriots guy. Obviously, the teams you would like to see win the Super Bowl because it'd be good for that team and that fan base.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, so we'll pick four each.
Speaker 6: I'll let you have the first pick, so next next season, it'd be awesome if this team won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Who do you have? Why don't we go with the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 6: You know that's a great pick because I mostly because of the reason you're picking them.
Speaker 3: They've never won.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they've been super competitive. Dan Campbell's changed the culture. They've done a great job, and they're right there on the cusp. But if that team was to go with that fan base, they are loyal fan base, and I played there for a season and they come week in and week out, pack that stadium. And this is when they weren't as good as they are now. But that city would be rocking if they won. I'm gonna take Buffalo.
Speaker 6: I think this is the first time I've seen a head coach coming in year one, and there's the expectation they have to get to the super Bowl with Brady being there, right, they didn't bring him in to a bout the FC Championship game again, And so I think New Stadium, those fans are hard up.
Speaker 3: I mean even when they.
Speaker 6: Were going they lost three in a row in the nineties and a lot of maybe the young fans in row yeah, for in and row you're.
Speaker 3: Right, foreigner, can you Oh my gosh, for in a row?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: What kind of hell is that?
Speaker 6: Because I remember it now as a child, I was a but and so as a child, things are just fun and stupid and goofy and the Cowboys all win or why or all this stuff's happening. But now as an adult, thinking to watch a team right now lose four in a.
Speaker 3: Row, oh, it would be definat It.
Speaker 6: Would be devasttaged, devastating. I think those fans deserve a championship. I think the team has been really good, and I think they have did best quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 3: And so I'm gonna go Buffalo, Buffalo. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 5: Another fan base that is in dire need of a Super Bowl Championship got to stay within the same division the Minnesota Vikings. Can you imagine if Kyler Murray gets there, they catch lightning in a bottle and that Kevin O'Connell offense. They've got the skilled players to do it with Jefferson Addison, They've got a good offensive line, Howkinson at the tight end position, and then you've got defense. But if that that fan base again, skull Viking.
Speaker 3: I was there for two years. It's awesome and they are desperate for a championship. What are their odds?
Speaker 6: Kevin, will you look at see where Minnesota falls, because you're right, if they get I don't want to say a solid contribution because Kyler Murray needs to play well really, but I'll say seven and a half out of ten. If he plays at a seven and a half out of ten level, I think they have a real shot. They play a tough division, obviously, but Murray was really.
Speaker 3: Good rookie year, multiple Pro Bowls.
Speaker 6: We forget what what we remember is the iPad, Like, get off your iPad video, We'll.
Speaker 5: Sign you to a new contract only if you don't play video games and you watch more.
Speaker 6: And that tainted Kyler Murray to me honestly, because I'm going, oh, he doesn't really care about.
Speaker 3: The perception, wasn't that prior to when that whole thing came out.
Speaker 5: About well, because it made you feel like he didn't care about football, and then that was.
Speaker 6: Followed with injuries, so you have that, like you're saying, you feel like, oh, maybe he doesn't care, and then he gets injured, so you don't only shake that he doesn't care because he's not winning because he's not playing. But you're right, if Kyler Murray plays well, I think Minnesota has a real chance. How do you think Justin Jefferson fielder? Do you think he enjoys that he has a quarterback? And it's hard because you're a tall guy.
Speaker 3: Calimra is not a tall guy, right.
Speaker 5: I've never caught passes from anybody like outside the pocket, so I don't really know what that perspective's like.
Speaker 3: What job Justin Jefferson thinking? If you had to put yourself in his mind right now.
Speaker 5: I think you just put if you put the ball on the right spot, he's going to catch it. So I think he's going to go do his job. I think what he's encouraged by is one this guy's a veteran, he's got experience, he's won at a high level, he's played at a high level. If he can come in and establish himself as that leader and they win ball games early and often, then that takes care of it. Because I think there's so much uncertainty, and they noticed that with JJ McCarthy because of just what he's done over his first two season, which hasn't been a lot.
Speaker 3: So much in consistency.
Speaker 5: All you're looking for when you have a premiere wide receiver, and I can go back to Randy Moss or any of these guys that I've played with that they want consistency and the knowledge that the guy that playing behind center will with them the ball and if he does that, then there's encouragement there.
Speaker 3: Do you see odds are fifty to one? Were they in the nineteenth they're that low? Huhom? Is that because of the quarterback situation?
Speaker 6: I mean, now we know so the odds have fixed themselves as soon as they announced the Calamari as a starter.
Speaker 3: But I'm surprised they're that low. Yeah. Right behind him is the Bucks and commanders. Just to give an idea too, Well, the commanders there are a total unknown as well. I know. I mean just because they the Buddets are behind them, Yeah, right behind them. I was going to say one of those teams went if the Steelers are right in front of them. In Jaguars, the Steelers are in front of them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, I'm gonna go as my next pick, the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Oh this great, fike.
Speaker 6: I mean why not America would love or America would hate to see a Dallas Cowboy championship.
Speaker 3: And that's what it's all about, Like there would be a motion regardless.
Speaker 6: It's rare that we get a team that has that the Patriots had that he loved it or you hated it and most hated it after a while for sure. But I think because the Cowboys haven't won it forever and they are the most popular team, I think for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl that would just matter good and bad. And I think that would be really fun to see a Cowboys run. I'm not Cowboys fan, so I say that as a non Cowboys fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go with the Houston Texans. Houston Texas run. Why, I know, it's one of those non sexy picks. But at the same time with that defense that they have c J.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 5: I know that people are on the bandwagon that he needs to play better and all their stuff, but they've got a squad that compete for a championship and that would be their first ever Super Bowl as well. And I think you bring another intrigue to the NFL, because again, you always want to see other people win, and some of these organizations that never have.
Speaker 3: It would be cool to see somebody come out of the.
Speaker 5: Depths and rise and be They've been a perennial playoff team for the last what four years, and now to maybe make that next jump.
Speaker 6: I think the interesting thing about the Texans is that if they do win a Super Bowl this year, the next year, it's going to be because of defense. And this has been such an offensive league. It has been let's score as many points as possible and then figure it out on defense. But Houston's one of those few rare teams that their identity is defense and they can win any game because of their defense, no doubt. I'm gonna go to Kansas City. I love a dynasty. I think people have kind of written off the Chiefs now as that's the end of that dynasty.
Speaker 3: That was fun.
Speaker 6: And then Mahomes got hurt and Travis Kelsey's old, and I think people think the Chiefs are probably over as far as being the elite, the top one to two three teams in the NFL. I like to see people and teams do great things. Even if I don't like the team, I can totally respect it. I think it's cool. Got we were lucky enough to see Michael Jordan. We were lucky enough to see the Patriots. You gotta see them closer than I did. We're lucky enough to see Lebron although his wasn't so much a dynasty, he himself.
Speaker 3: Was a bit of that. You know, four rings and these are the arguably one or two.
Speaker 6: So I like to see excellence, and the Chiefs were excellent, and I would like to see them win another one or two. I mean, the Patriots had a big gap in the middle, big gap, and while.
Speaker 5: They were going to Super Bowls, they weren't winning those super Bowls. So they were still a dominant team. But it was from two thousand and four to what fourteen was it?
Speaker 3: In a ten year gap? Ten years.
Speaker 6: That's wild thinking that now, because it just seems like they just won all the championships, a ten year gap, tenre gap.
Speaker 3: Crazy. They they'd go to eleven and nine but they didn't win Super Bowl but they lost. Yeah yeah the Giants? Or eight yeah yeah, man, so eight and twelve. So I'm gonna go with the Chiefs. Chiefs, yep, one more pickach.
Speaker 5: And go one another underdog. I mean within the division that you're talking about, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 3: With the LA Chargers.
Speaker 5: I think that they were decimated with injuries, still were a playoff team last year. Justin Herbert is considered one of the elite quarterbacks in this league. If they stay healthy and within that division, that's going to be super competitive. And with Mike McDaniel's coming in as their offensive coordinator, I think that they have a possibility to shock people. And also if they win that division alone, they're going to be in the hunt.
Speaker 6: Do you still have the odds up? Because I'm going to take as my final pick Cincinnati. I love small market teams. I would love to say Joe Burrow stay healthy, that's the key. I would love Cincinnati, who didn't have an outdoor practice Facilly until like two years ago. To go or an indoor practice facilly, they only practice outside.
Speaker 3: We're Cincinnati twenty to one, thirteen overall, and it's such a big year for not only Joe Burrow.
Speaker 5: You know, you've got Jamar Chase, you got t Higgins, you got all these, but for the head coach as well, who I think is a good head coach. But Burrow has not stayed healthy consistently. But if they do, I mean there's a lot of pressure on that team because I think it's a winnable division this year.
Speaker 3: Did you play with Devin mccordy. I did not. I played with Jason. His brother. Jason was a cornerback for us in Tennessee for the Titans. So we have.
Speaker 6: Devin come up in a few minutes, Yeah, and so we'll talk to him. He won three Super Bowls. Pretty good, pretty good player. Not only was he All Pro at cornerback, he is also an All Pro at safety and he is a really good special teamer. The guy is just an all around stud.
Speaker 5: And I've got an opportunity to know him his brother over the years, but also his body of work speaks for itself.
Speaker 3: But then he's doing incredible things. Also in the broadcast with before we get to him. Let's do two situational awarenesses. Are you ready? Yes, I am all right. I'll give you the first one here.
Speaker 6: It's the final preseason game and you're playing with offensive lineman who might not be on the team tomorrow right as the quarterback. How nervous does that make you?
Speaker 3: There's a little bit of speculation going into the game. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 5: You've gone through camp and if you're the backup quarterback and normally you do get that start, at least I did when I was in New England because the starters usually won't play that You have at least a comfort level with these guys because.
Speaker 3: You've been in the huddle with them a bunch.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, you can't let that impact your mental psyche too much.
Speaker 3: You still got to go out and execute.
Speaker 5: Because these guys are all good players, they just might not be the front line guys. In addition to that, you know, in the last preseason game, more than likely the defensive side of the ball is going to be doing the same thing. They're probably not going to be playing their stars. There was maybe one or two times we'd always play the Giants in the fourth preseason game that they had their starters play the first series, but other than that, it's normally the second line guys, and so it's kind of a fair fight at that point.
Speaker 3: All right, okay, all right, here you go.
Speaker 5: Your wife, Caitlyn's sick, so you're on full baby duty on the weekend. Are you sticking to a routine? Are you just trying to survive the weekend?
Speaker 6: This is literally the last weekend that we had, so this is exactly the story. She was sick, so she had food poisoning in the middle of the week and she got just wrecked by it. She also has a severe autoimmunity, so anytimes she gets sick, it's like that times three and it she couldn't got a bed, so she had food poisoning, which the triggered the inflammation in her body.
Speaker 3: She has a terrible autoimmune disease.
Speaker 6: So I was ninety three percent baby duty, and I tried to stay on that schedule as best as I could. I didn't always stay on it exactly sometimes.
Speaker 3: But I was. I got a low A. Yeah, I got a low A.
Speaker 6: If I were great in myself, only one nipple numb, that's the producer. Yeah, just I got one strong nip. But yeah, at this point, our baby's five months old. She also knows a bit of the routine. Not that she's pulling herself to take a nap, but she knows, okay, I'm getting sleepy Now'm rubbing my eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so it's.
Speaker 6: Kind of fun to see her her body no when it's time to also take a nap. So this actually happened this weekend. And I would give me staying on track a low ninety me as an overall twenty four hour dad or close to it, eighty two outstanding, though a low.
Speaker 3: Ninety for a whole weekend with no motherly support. As far as staying on schedule, I give myself like an eighty two grade. I give it some a B. It's still really good. Yeah. I did forget recently to just feed the baby completely, but that's a whole inner story. That's okay. You just double up the next one and let her throw again. Oliver.
Speaker 6: You know, I've heard, and I heard I said, I said the same thing, and I was even met with no, that's not all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because I did. I just wouldn't even mention that. Yeah, that would be a bad deal, all right, final question for you.
Speaker 6: One of your kids says, well, Mom, lets me do it after you tell them no, are you checking with her or do you just assume they're lying?
Speaker 3: I assume they're lying.
Speaker 5: And I also say, well, Mom's not here, Dad's here, so whatever mom would say when she's here is different than what Dad's saying right now as I'm here. So we can have this argument or discussion later on when your mom gets home and she can tell me something different, but as of this moment, daddy's in charge, so save it.
Speaker 6: It feels like the question you asked me, I was comfortable answering that because it just happened. It feels like you were so comfortable with answering that because it's happened before.
Speaker 3: Oh, it happens a lot. Mom started to do it.
Speaker 5: I was like, wait, it's so far fetched that my wife would say yes to that question that I know already, Like, there's no chance she would say yes, And you're just trying to pull the wool over my eyes. And I can be very reasonable, but I'm not gullible, Okay, so don't misinterpret me being nice as soft.
Speaker 3: Does it ever happen though, where Mom actually does allow it and then you were wrong.
Speaker 5: Every now and then then they threw me for a loop. I'm like, what day did they get you on that where you said yes? Like normally I've heard you say absolutely not. I was just trying to stay in sequence with you, all right, your final question, A guest you really want says yes, but their team says, the biggest topic of conversation is off limits.
Speaker 3: Are you still doing the interview?
Speaker 6: This has happened a few times. It's happened in a scenario where I can give you a cific example because they won't care. Whenever Blake and Miranda were going through their divorce, Blake was coming in and they said, don't ask Blake about the divorce. And I was like, okay, And this is me still pretty early and new to Nashville, and Blake doesn't live here.
Speaker 3: So I did not.
Speaker 6: I didn't want to miss that interview or miss kind of I almost say introduction, but we didn't have a relationship at all, and I just wanted to move that relationship along, and so I said yes, and so I did not ask about it. And like the second thing he says to me is, yeah, I'm Randon. Now we got divorce man, that's been something because he just starts talking about it.
Speaker 3: Right. That doesn't happen every time. But I had.
Speaker 6: Chosen in that instance because I was early here, I did not have their proper relationships to say, I'll do it without asking about the big thing. If it's something that I really want to talk about, or if it's if I'm skipping it and everyone's going, why is any asking it, I would just rather not do the interview right.
Speaker 3: If it's something though.
Speaker 5: That so does that speak to the integrity of the interview, right, because everybody wants to hear everybody knows it, everybody wants.
Speaker 6: To We're kind of integrity to people count on me to have. I really, I mean, I am not Teddy Copple. So it may be if it's something though, where I feel like I'm being told how to do my job, I'm going to pass on it.
Speaker 3: There are times, though, where I.
Speaker 6: Can say, they go, hey, they don't want to talk about this, and honestly I don't want to talk about that anyway, And so that one doesn't affect me as much because I really try not to lead with my ego as much anymore. I think in my way way in secure days it's much more ego led.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: It's just I just want to have a good show or a good interview.
Speaker 6: And if they say they do not want to talk about flat earth, and I was like, well, I was never going to ask them about that anyway, I don't get offended that they don't want to talk about flat earth.
Speaker 3: So I'm good. Yea, So there's some nuance to that answer.
Speaker 6: If they say, don't talk about the biggest thing, and the biggest thing is what I want to talk about, I will not do the interview.
Speaker 3: But it's normally I'm guessing very personal stuff, right, there's yeah, but microphone.
Speaker 6: Right, when you're going through some stuff, you just you should just hide a hundred or just well, just do all your own stuff, like into a microphone, into a camera.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't have to go on.
Speaker 6: But yeah, if it's something that's really big and I don't ask and it looks like I'm a coward, I won't do the interview integrity. Who cares we're doing it's I mean, looks like I'm not longing, I.
Speaker 3: Won't feed my baby. Sometimes no one holds me to no one holds me to any standard.
Speaker 6: All Right, we're gonna break come back with three times Super Bowl champion Devin mccordy.
Speaker 3: Hey, let's welcome in.
Speaker 6: Devin mccorty, three times super Bowl champion, longtime Patriots captain. Uh really, one of the premiere, one of the smartest defensive back to his era, thirteen seasons in New England, went from first round pick to lead or the Patriots defense.
Speaker 3: I mean, he is a champion. This is your guy.
Speaker 5: Oh he's an absolute stud, all right. I mean the man that meant the legend. And thirteen seasons with what team? Devin mccordy, what's going on, buddy.
Speaker 4: What's happening?
Speaker 7: Man? You know exactly what that feels like. Thirteen seasons with Bill Belichick. Man, that was some good and bad days mixing there.
Speaker 3: But it sounds like probably more bad. I mean, more good days than bad.
Speaker 5: But the funny part is I go back to my New England days and everybody's like, what was it like winning at.
Speaker 3: Such a at such a high rate.
Speaker 5: And I said, you know what's crazy is that when we're winning, when you go in you review the film, it almost felt a lot of times like you lost the game.
Speaker 7: Nothing was like those Monday morning low lights. And that's what we all talked about. No matter how well you played, everyone remembered like there were one, two or three bad plays. And you sat in your seat and you were like.
Speaker 4: I hope you don't show my play. I hope you don't show up.
Speaker 7: And then as soon as the beginning of that play came up, because all of these were crazy, like.
Speaker 4: Everyone watched the film before they got in the meeting, like guys, they were into it.
Speaker 7: You'd be like, damn, here goes and he would go off on a rant rip you and then everyone would laugh.
Speaker 4: And I think that was the joy in New England. We all took it.
Speaker 7: We laughed about it, we made fund of bill when we could, and then you focused on winning the next week.
Speaker 6: At what point did you realize New England was the only place you were going to and wanted to play.
Speaker 7: Honestly, my last year, after the twenty twenty two season, I thought about continuing to play.
Speaker 4: But I was I was gonna be thirty five years.
Speaker 7: Old, and I knew New England really wasn't in the position to win, and so I, you know, started brainstorming, maybe what are some teams And that was the moment I would say probably in like that February at time where I was kind of going out, hanging out, staying out in Boston and just meeting so many younger people who were like twenty two, twenty three, and then you start to feel old because they're like, man, I've been watching you since I was twelve.
Speaker 4: It's so funny. Hey can I get you a drink?
Speaker 7: And then it kind of set in that like, hey man, this was this was my second home. I wanted to only be here as trying to, you know, hang up the cleats or retire special place, man, And very fortunate I got to do all thirteen years there.
Speaker 5: When you get drafted to the New England Patriots in the first round, you know you normally asked the question how long did it take you for the game to slow down?
Speaker 3: But obviously your rookie season was phenomenal.
Speaker 5: You had seven interceptions, You're an All Pro cornerback to start your rookie year. I mean, what why was a transition so quick for you? Did anything have to do with playing for Chiano and being in a similar system in college?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so, man, And we laughed, you know, because you know, we had a couple like young players their first year would come in and have good years and in the second year wouldn't be as good. And we said, Joe, who was like man? Once I started learning all the new England ways, I got worse as a player, and I do I think my I was young.
Speaker 4: So I didn't realize that.
Speaker 7: In my first year, the style of defense we ran really was a bunch of different calls, some man, some zone, some zone pressures. And I was a guy that loved studying the game, so I was able to benefit from that. My second year we switched to you know, single high man and man and it was a struggle. And when I was young, I wasn't piecing that together. I was just like, man, I suck. I can't figure this out.
Speaker 3: But it was.
Speaker 7: It was the change in that probably didn't fit me as well as a as an individual player, but as well was best for our team.
Speaker 4: And you know, wasn't happy when it happened.
Speaker 7: I remember when Belichick first came to me, it was like, hey, twenty eleven. He's like, Hey, you're gonna play corner on first and second down and then on third time you're gonna move to safety.
Speaker 4: I was like, what, Like, this is the dumbest thing ever.
Speaker 7: And then that next year switching to safety full time was a blessing. It fit my style, fit that defense that they were running. But it was tough and that during that transition period, that second and three year was really tough to doubts, you know, the self doubt crept in.
Speaker 4: But figuring that out it was huge obviously for my career.
Speaker 7: And you know, I think Coach Belichick saw something and me playing safety that I didn't even see in the beginning.
Speaker 3: At what point, and it could even be rookie camp, at what point did you realize you were going to contribute as quickly as you did.
Speaker 4: Probably it was in the spring when they put me in with the ones, and when you're.
Speaker 7: A rookie and I was a rookie that went to the Rutgers like we weren't playing this SEC schedule with all the big time players. So I got into huddle with giraw Mao and Vince Wilford.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't want to mess this up.
Speaker 7: And I knew if they put me in that early, they were going to ask me to contribute somehow in some way. I didn't know it would be, you know, starting all sixteen games that year, but I knew somehow I would mix in. And then I think two weeks later our starting corner league Boughten he a had shoulder surgery, so he was out for the year and it was myself and Butler, who was in the second year.
Speaker 4: We were up and we had to play and start all the games.
Speaker 5: Talk to me about that transition from corner to safety. Obviously, playing corner has its own nuances in terms of understanding angles and all that stuff, But then you go into the backside of the defense and you're really the quarterback in the backside for the defensive backs and communication all that.
Speaker 3: Was that a tough transition or was that natural for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think it definitely fit my personality.
Speaker 3: But I had to adjust.
Speaker 7: Remember the first game I started at just safety, we were playing Buffalo at home and we were in a call where if the guy motioned across the ball, we were going from cover two to cover three.
Speaker 4: And when I was a corner, somebody you know, I knew it, but I would look at the safety.
Speaker 7: The safety would give me the oka A three D and when a guy moved I kind of looked at Mayo for Mayo to turn around. He never turned around, so we just played cover too, and he was like, dude, you got to make the call. And I was like, oh, damn, that is my call, all right. I got it, And I think after that I got the hang of And I think that's when I started to really shine as a leader and a captain is all of that, because, like you said, Matt, I felt that that kind of pressure of being a quarterback of the defense and lining things up and getting everybody together.
Speaker 4: So I definitely think it.
Speaker 7: Helped my leadership qualities, you know, moving to safety and becoming comfortable at that position.
Speaker 6: You talked about at the end of your career when people were like, hey, I used to watch you when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: But when you got up and.
Speaker 6: It was your rookie of your second year, who did you line up against? Where you felt like that to them, like, dang, I used to watch you when I was a kid.
Speaker 7: Oh that started. That started early training camp. You get in there and you line up and you look at it a cross and it's Randy Moss.
Speaker 4: You're like, oh, like I was sitting to how the hell did I get here?
Speaker 7: And you know, when you're young and with Randy if he was on the backside of the plane, he knew that the ball couldn't come back there. He really would like slowly come off, maybe grab you. So when you're a young player, you're like, watch this jam Randy moss Up. You feel good about it, and I'll never forget. We had two incidents when we went into the red zone for the first time, and I found out what late hands was when a receiver act likes the ball's not coming and they wait till the last minute, stick their hands out catch it. He did that to me five times in practice, and then we went to the end stadium practice and he beat me for two fifty yard bombs and it was like, Damn Brady and Billy O'Brien, they waited, drew it up for him to come on my side, crowds going crazy. That was definitely my welcome to the NFL moment, going against Randy in practice every day.
Speaker 5: You know, when you talk about the Patriot dynasty, a lot of the discussion always revolves around Belichick and Brady, but obviously, as we well know, it takes a full team effort. Can you talk about some of your favorite defenses during that time and why you guys were so dominant.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, I think you know, starting from the beginning. I think when twenty fourteen, when we got Reevis and we got Brown and we finally won our first super Bowl, that was a cool moment because that was like, that was my contract year and it felt like all of this was coming together. But individually I was in the middle of like, Damn, I hope this still works out for me. I want to get paid, and for us to have the year we had with that defense with Vince Wolford still there, Jamie Collins, Dante Hi Tower at linebacker, like that was just I think that was one of the first times I played on a defense where I was like, damn, we're a damn good defense. And then twenty eighteen. In twenty nineteen, playing in that secondary, we had all guys who were older but still good players. Man, some of the stuff we were able to do from a scheme standpoint was so fun. The coaching staff really gave us a lot of leeway and like adjustments and everything, and we did. We spent a lot of time watching film together. Hey man, hey, I want you to go jump this route. I'm gonna play over the top. Everybody else on their own and no one else on the defense would know, and we were able to do some really fun thing that you know, I think made that season special and helped us win Super.
Speaker 4: Bowl fifty three.
Speaker 5: It's funny that you mentioned twenty fourteen defense and the adjustments that you made, because I was in Minnesota at that time, and if you remember, you came to us in week two and you guys had shown all three down leading up to that game, and we were prepared for the three four defense. Shamie Collins on the outside like you're saying, you guys show up. You guys are in four down, played Manda Man the entire game, no cover four and just routed us.
Speaker 3: It was terrible, terrible day. Do you remember that day?
Speaker 5: Because I threw you a pick early. This guy's on the opposite hash. All of a sudden, we run across crossing route right in front of his face. We have a double move post behind him, hoping that he takes that crossing route. He baseball turns, turns around, catches the interception right in the middle field.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, oh no.
Speaker 4: You know, we talk about low lights.
Speaker 7: So that play comes up the next day and I'm in there like, yeah, that was.
Speaker 4: A good one, like exactly what you said.
Speaker 7: And Bill I get pushed out at the one and shows the whole play and he goes, I mean a cordy like we can't we can't step out at the one yard line, like at this point, dive do something to get in the angel, like if we fumble the snap the.
Speaker 4: Next play like this is ruined and we.
Speaker 7: Shouldn't even be on offense. We should be kicking the extra point. I just put my hands up like real, like this is where we're gonna go with after that, And that was a specialty low light for me in that fourteen season.
Speaker 6: Of your three Super Bowls, did any of them feel like more relief than while we did this?
Speaker 7: I think the last one, and I think it was because we go we play the Eagles in Super Bowl fifty two, Nick Foles, you know, WinCE, it goes down and Tom has unbelievable game. He throws who are over five hundred yards and you have like, like such a letdown as a defense because it was literally like if we just could get one stop in that game, one extra stop, we win the super Bowl. So getting back it just felt like like man and like This is a relief, like we got to get back and prove that, hey, we won, you know, especially the way we won. We gave up three points in a super Bowl defensively, and I know for me individually like that that was special to be able to do that, especially you know, alongside my twin brother.
Speaker 3: As a leader.
Speaker 5: Obviously the Patriots organization was a veteran group when you came in, but throughout the years you established yourself as a captain and a leader of this team. Where does that leadership come from as you grew up and as you develop your leadership style.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think my mom. My father passed away when I was young. I was about three years old, and my mom she just ran everything and she would always kind of become whoever you needed in that moment. You know, if she needed to be a caretaker, she'd be a caretaker. If we messed up and she needed to discipline us, she would be She wouldn't hesitate to grab you up. And I think that's what I kind of learned. And then at my time in the wing when I get there as a young captain. In my second we have jirob Mail, we have Vince Wilfron, on defense. I really was charged with taking care of the younger guys, figuring out how to get you know, those guys and myself to play at a high level, become a pro. Those guys leave, I start to realize, hey man, I gotta be more vocal. I got to change the kind of leadership style that I had. And all of it was at my wheelhouse. That fit my personality. But my mom taught me. You know, my mom and Matthew Slater really taught me about servanthood, how to serve other people in leadership, how to step up.
Speaker 4: And you know, fill the roles that they need.
Speaker 3: Do you have a cool collection of jersey swamp.
Speaker 7: No, I have a few, but like I remember, it started to become popular when I was playing, maybe around like fourteen fifteen, and Bill came in the one time.
Speaker 4: He's like, I mean, I get it if you're gonna.
Speaker 7: Swap jerseys, but you know, we can go out there and we play game and we lose. I don't want to see you posing with that. That just beat us And it became famous. In that Kansas City game in twenty fourteen, Steven Ridley and Jamal Charles are posing with a jersey and Bill puts it up in a team a team meeting room the next.
Speaker 4: Day and goes off. So I have a couple guys.
Speaker 7: That you know, play safety, Eric well On, Malcolm Jenkins, A couple guys like that that you know I thought were really good players while I was playing.
Speaker 4: I was able to jersey swap with them.
Speaker 3: If you could go back and do it again.
Speaker 5: Is there one player in particular that you definitely want a jersey swap with?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 4: It would be Charles what's in ed Red, no doubt about.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Did you guys have to pay every time for a new jersey for yourself though, if you gave one away?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was Bill's thing.
Speaker 7: If you give away a jersey, these jerseys take time, they get customized.
Speaker 4: If you take it, you pay for it.
Speaker 3: What was that costing? Do you know? Do you guys know how much it cost? I have no idea. They just charge you and not even tell you. I think payroll the dope. That's what the exactly well you get it for Fika. We don't know what it is or why they're taking that much.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we're now in the phase of training camp where you got these joint practices that are going on.
Speaker 3: Did you get a.
Speaker 5: Lot of value out of those joint practices?
Speaker 7: I did, Man, I enjoyed it, and I think it's different for the skill positions because we're.
Speaker 4: Still not like banging our heads and going after it.
Speaker 7: But it allowed us to see different receivers and tight ends, to see different quarterbacks. I remember my rookie year, our first joint practice was Drew Brees, So I went from practice against Brady to now practice against Drew Brees, Like you can't find a better look, but also different and you know how they are in the pocket once tall, ones shorter, So just being able to do that and see different offices, I always felt like help prepare us for the year. So I used to love the joint practice, especially if we could play enough snaps in joint practice and not have to play in a preseason game.
Speaker 4: I was all part of that.
Speaker 6: As I got older, how often did you guys go in practice ones versus ones?
Speaker 3: Meaning did you go against Brady a lot in practice?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Bill felt like training camp was all about a heavyweight fight. It should be.
Speaker 7: Haymaker after Haymaker, first offense, first defense, going after it, getting after it, and then eventually even you know, even within the season, we would still do a seven off seventh period all. He used to call it good on good and we'd be like week sixteen and he would just want to, you know, rep our kind of based stuff just to make sure we stayed on top of it. And you know, I always thought that was good because again, well you play with Brady, like, all those reps you get against him, I don't care who you're playing on Sunday is definitely gonna help you.
Speaker 5: How involved was Bill Belichick in your day to day in terms of being in your a defensive back room and being able to break down the offensive unit and kind of give you a little nuance that this scheme might present.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I had two years where he was in our meeting room every day two and ten and twenty nineteen until like maybe week thirteen, and then he kind of backed out and Steven Gerrod took over. But those years, like my rookie year, he was our defensive coordinator basically, and I just was so blown away because the dude would coach everybody. He would start Kasha outside linebacker on get off, Coachha defensive tackles on hands, could see COACHHA linebackers hey don't go in there with this shoulder, just go blow bliss whole play up. And then he would get on the secondary about communication and steps, and I used to be like, damn, Like this guy is so well equipped to coach everything I tell people now working on TV and football that all came from being in a meeting room and watching him coach every position. And I was like, damn, I learned something about playing offensive line and I never thought I would know. And now you can actually talk about those things because you said all those Bill Belichick meetings.
Speaker 3: If we go back to the Super Bowl against Atlanta, you're down twenty eight to three, like like what's being said on the sideline.
Speaker 7: Man, it was one of those things where everyone was trying to be encouraging. I think while like trying to be encouraging, you were also trying to encourage yourself.
Speaker 4: Hey man, one play at a time. Hey, we're gonna get it going, don't.
Speaker 7: And you know the truth is when we came out it was twenty one to three and a half. We went out there defensively, we went three and out, And that was the plan in the locker room, Hey go three and out, offense, go down to score and it's a brand new game.
Speaker 4: We go three and out.
Speaker 7: I think the offense either went three and out or they got one first down Atlanta gainst the ball back. I think in like five or six plays they score another touchdown.
Speaker 3: I think that's when.
Speaker 7: We really turned into, hey, man, let's just play for a guy next to you.
Speaker 4: This was a special season.
Speaker 7: We had different guys that came in that locker room that year that I thought were very unique. Martella's been at Chris Long. Let's play for those guys. They haven't been able to win a lot in their career. And then next thing you know, a few plays happened and the whole game turned around.
Speaker 5: What was more stressful that game, because it seems like in the second half you're just like, hey, screw it, let the cards fall where they may. But then you've also got the Seattle Super Bowl right where they're going down there, what second and goal and Malcolm Butler steps in front of that play. But the stress on the defensive side of the ball, it's got to be at the utmost.
Speaker 7: No doubt about it. That's Seattle Super Bowl forty nine. Way more stress. We went out there in a second half and we were like, hey, let's just keep people watching the game, Like, let's make sure they don't turn and go watch something else where. In that Seattle Super Bowl, we're like, man, somebody make up play. One person made one play and his game's over and the ball gets all the way down to a one yard line and Malcolm makes that play.
Speaker 4: And that was after I lost Super forty six to the Giant.
Speaker 7: So when Curse made that catch, I was like, ah, here we go again, another.
Speaker 4: Tough loss, Like this sucks. And for mauc to make that, I mean, incredible play.
Speaker 3: When Brady leaves, how does that change the locker round?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: I used to tell people this all the time. The unique thing about New England was Brady was coachable. Brady allowed Bill to coach him harder than anybody else. And in our league you do as a player, you can decide not to be coachable, and it ruins the whole team.
Speaker 4: So when he left, we.
Speaker 7: Lost that example of Bill being able to dig into somebody, get after him and watch that person rise and to just follow that person. And I think even for Bill it was an adjustment. I got cursed out a little bit more. Matthew Slater got a little bit more, but nobody was that measuring stick the way Tom was.
Speaker 4: It was definitely a big blow.
Speaker 7: Losing a guy like him, because even with Cam coming in and how special of a player Cam was throughout his career, it just the way Bill handled him was different than how he handled Tom. He had Tom since he was a rook there was just some built in trust of how he could attack him.
Speaker 4: That was just different once he left.
Speaker 5: What do you think of the New England Patriots right now? Obviously coming off the success that they had last year? Mike grables first season, Drake May, But what do you project for them this season? Because you wouldn't you say that they are a better football team at this point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think they've improved from last year and what they did this offseason. It's so funny because last year, being up there doing the preseason games, it was like, man, if we just getting nine wins, we're ahead of schedule. Next you know, you look up, you're in a super Bowl. And now this year everybody's like, man, we need to make sure we win the division. We got to get back to the super Bowl. And how fast things change. But I do I think they're better equipped. The amount of weapons they have being up there watching train camp, the receivers, everybody. So I do I think they'll be better. I don't think their record will be better than last year, but I do think they'll be more equipped to try to win and play, you know, winning football in playoffs this year, because, again, we all got to be honest, the road to the super Bowl was a lot easier last year than it will be this year. So they'll have to be better.
Speaker 4: But that might not show up in our in our overall record.
Speaker 3: How's the TV clothing allowance? Man, it's as not as high as I thought it would be.
Speaker 7: I'm reaching into a little bit of that football money to make sure my mom's.
Speaker 4: Not disappointed and my Sunday night clothes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was on that college football the Saturday the Big ten Saturday Night.
Speaker 3: I was like, so, do we have a little budget here?
Speaker 5: No budget for that show at all, so you're definitely coming out of pocket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had, I.
Speaker 7: Had, I had one budget for the four years now one time, one time I had a budget one year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, went in of the deal yet worked out of the deal. How's it been working with Mike Tomlin. I know you guys are getting ready to start season, all that stuff. He's the new face of Sunday night football. What's that been like? Man, he's been awesome.
Speaker 7: He's so open and willing to talk about any of the topics and I think people will see once we go on and want air.
Speaker 4: But like the fun happens.
Speaker 7: You know, we were now out in Canton, you know, Tuesday leading into the Thursday game, Tuesday night, Wednesday night. The story is being told over dinner or grabbing a drink. Like, just hanging out with him has been a lot of fun. He's one of those coaches that I didn't get to play for, but he was in my top like two or three of like if I'm not in New England, I want to play for Tony Dungee or Mike Tomlin, Like those were some of the guys that you would have loved to play for, especially as a defensive player.
Speaker 4: So it's been really cool getting to know him, being around him.
Speaker 6: Do you feel a bit it'll be like saving for sure, even Belichick a bit where we think if Tomlin as the guy who's given us the press conferences that weren't there weren't a lot said. But now that he's able to not be the coach. He's gonna be someone who's a little more demonstrative, someone who's a little more animated, Like we're gonna find that from him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and this dude has he just has a way with words, these slogans. Like we talked about heines Ward and he was like, heines Ward, you know, he should be in the Hall of Fame predator, not pray.
Speaker 4: Not many receivers are predators. And you sit there and you're like, damn, Like, I see what you did there? Like that that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 7: So I think he's gonna have a lot of those that really relate to the viewer who's watching, who might not know a lot about football, might not know heines Ward at all, but they get that picture. And I think he's really good at paying that picture with his words.
Speaker 5: You know, you talked about the Hall of Fame and I want to go to the Hall of Fame speeches real quick, in particular Adam Vinteri and what you thought of his speech, just based on the fact that he went he went full Haywire on everybody.
Speaker 4: For one, I gotta say, like before I got to New England, you know all you guys, you know you you, Bleed, Selvi and Itza.
Speaker 7: What I've been impressed with is all of you guys, when you've gotten a mic in front of you have been tacular and post career like being around Bledsoe talking to him and then watching Vinitary up there and you're like, all right, Venitaria is a kicker in New England. He's probably like pretty serious, gets up there to back a few joke and then the just the hammer of throwing Bill in there again. I don't know if I'm going to bring up Bill and his girlfriend on my dame. I'm going out to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but he went there. Probably not my style. But I've been so impressed by all you guys. When you get in front of a microphone, you guys, you could tell that lockerom was a lot of fun back in the day.
Speaker 3: My final question, how'd you know when it was time to hang it up?
Speaker 7: I think as a player, when you start thinking out there on the football field, and I had a couple of those times of like, ah, man, I feel like I used to make that play.
Speaker 4: Oh feels like I'm a little slower.
Speaker 7: Or you go play on a random Sunday and you feel like your legs don't work and it's just an all out battle each and every week. Started to feel out towards the end of my career, especially that last year, and then the last thing that came to my mind was right before Edelman, the last year he played. We were walking out, we were walking down the hallway and he was like, hey, man, do you ever get that feeling of like we're just not playing with the boys anymore? He was like, we had a run where it felt like man Us and the boys, like the guys that like we were just with year after year. We were just chasing this thing and it was so much fun. He's like, man, it just starts to feel like.
Speaker 4: All the boys are gone. And that stuck with me because we got lucky.
Speaker 7: I played in New England with Patrick Chung I think for eight or nine years, Darron Harmon eight years, like the Slater thirteen years, Edelman twelve year. Like you played with these guys for so long you kind of forget like this isn't normal. So when I started to really get that feeling at the end, I was like, man, it's time to go join a new team, go home with the family and be fully a part of that team more than being a part in the New England Patriots.
Speaker 5: Has the transition been incredible though, since you did finally decide to retire to be around the kids and be home and be present and while doing your career obviously in the media, but just that transition of being home and being present around the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: Before we got on, we talked about youth football starting.
Speaker 7: I'm out there on the field coaching the kids up, and I think that's been a really cool part because when I remember when I was young and I got into an NFL, everyone tells you make it last as long.
Speaker 3: Once it's over, it's over.
Speaker 4: It's no fun after it's over, And for me, it's been the opposite. Like I've enjoyed everything from.
Speaker 7: TV to being with the kids to vacations, Like it's been this chapter in life, like I couldn't imagine.
Speaker 4: The year I retired, I went, you know, going to the games.
Speaker 7: I was like, oh, like, I don't even want to think about playing football anymore.
Speaker 4: I don't want to think about sending a meeting.
Speaker 7: So it was time for me, and I think that's allowed me to really enjoy retirement.
Speaker 6: Well, I can't wait to see your face on TV again for two reasons. One because you're really good. You and your brother are both really good. But to to football, which is right.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're ready, it's it's now. We're going through the desert. We're begging for water. We just need it.
Speaker 6: So we really appreciate the time he's been with us. Devin, thank you so much. I really loved watching you play, and then I love watching you on NBC now, So thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Any time. Man, I appreciate you guys having me all.
Speaker 3: Thanks sevn Yeah, we got lots.
Speaker 4: Just say.
Speaker 6: Okay before we leave for the day. There was a video posted last week on Instagram that featured an archive TV clip of Southern California's top senior quarterbacks heading into the nineteen ninety nine season.
Speaker 3: Oh from my area and would you mind hitting that?
Speaker 6: Please take a look at the quarterbacks of the Class two thousand.
Speaker 3: Matt Castle. This kid always has a grin on his bake and he usually ends up in the end zone headed the USC. One of our favorite players. He's very clear for it. He's a throwback Samuel Ball type. Sound Paul huge. It's six five, two twenty not afraid the tucked the ball under his arm and run. Had eleven touchdowns this year. He's just a true leader.
Speaker 7: He's going to be a field general for years to come for the Trojans.
Speaker 3: Oh what a great clip. Guys. Can you send that to me so I can watch it. Oh fantastic. Let's be honest. You went in with a coach that recruited you, and then that coach was no longer there. Yes, he did leave after my freshman year.
Speaker 6: Yes, so this is not the case of you going and having everything in your favor and you not living up to it.
Speaker 3: Did They changed completely? They changed. Pete Carroll came in love great guy, great coach, great guy.
Speaker 5: He also went in that first year and recruited I think we brought in three quarterbacks that year that he wanted from his rea.
Speaker 3: You weren't his guy, No, I was not his guy, but I became his guy. Just a guy that nothing he didn't want to start.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So you were ranked the eighth quarterback in the nation.
Speaker 3: ESPN analyst Tom Limming, Oh thanks, Tom, what were you ranked in your mind? I have no idea. Well, you act like it was low. I thought you answer good? Thanks Tom. Let me you were. You were also the team starting punter.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, I punted. I played starting safety. I would go up and bring the wood a little bit, so I played. Yeah, I played a lot.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'd kick field goals if we needed to. Really. Yeah, you were.
Speaker 6: An all city selection of football and baseball and had seven rbs with two home runs in a single game.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, I was a good baseball player. Yeah, college too. So I know.
Speaker 5: The funny part about college, though, is all I did during during college. I mean during high school was played first base, third base, and hit.
Speaker 3: I didn't pitch it.
Speaker 5: I didn't pitch in high school, even though I felt like I could, But I thought the quickest way on the team at USC was to go out and pitch because my arm was in shape.
Speaker 3: So I just went out in there and pitched.
Speaker 5: Because I knew sequencing, hitting and all that stuff takes time, and I didn't have time. I'd like two weeks to convince this coach, coach Gillspie, to let me come on the baseball team. He's like, well, what position you want to play? I know you're a hitter in high school. I was like, no, I think I could pitch. So then they set up that bullpen, went through as hard as I possibly could, ended up making the team, and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: Do you know what you threw velocity wise? Oh?
Speaker 5: Probably ninety eight? No, no chance. You know back then like hitting ninety two, yeah, was good. So I think I was right around there. Ninety one ninety two two.
Speaker 3: Homes of a single game. Do you remember that game? I thought I had multiple two run home runs? Oh, you might have. That's just what we pulled. That's just what they said.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to think of what game that would be when I hit two home runs. I should remember this. But you know, like I said, when you rake the way I do, you know?
Speaker 3: Home runs nine dozen, another dime a dozen, another day, another day.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you guys listening as always, thanks to Devin mccordy.
Speaker 3: That is the great Matt Castle. That's Kickoff Kevin. That's Brandon Ray. I'm Bobby Bones. We've had lots to say.
Speaker 6: We'll see you guys next week by play.
Speaker 1: Lots to Say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts