Speaker 1: Now really.
Speaker 2: Really now really hello, and welcome to really know really with you Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who both endorsed the idea of you subscribing to our show and as if you can see it coming, This episode is about celebrity endorsement deals. They are often big money, considerable risk, and sometimes they go very very bad.
Speaker 3: Adidas may lose on.
Speaker 2: A billion dollar deal with the controversial artist Ya formerly Kanye West, Sean Puff Daddy p Diddy Combs has reportedly lost eighteen brand partnerships due to assault allegations, and even Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's wine brand may go sour.
Speaker 3: Due to their acrimonious divorce.
Speaker 2: Given all this, companies even bother with celebrity endorsers. To help answer that question, we've invited Mark Habes, the CEO of the Helmsman Group, to weigh in. His company often helps big stars and big brands to connect with exceptionally lucrative endorsements.
Speaker 3: He'll discuss whether celebrities.
Speaker 2: Really use the brands they're shilling for, what makes it's a celebrity and a product of the right fits and the fascinating story of what happened when the legendary promoter Don King signed Michael Jackson up for a Pepsi commercial without his permission.
Speaker 3: Really no, really, here's Jason mcpeter. Now, all right, I have a feeling in today's episode that you are going to uh, You're going to damage, You're gonna hurt me, You're going to enpinge on somehow. This is going to be because I am I've been doing commercials since I was fourteen years old. I've been doing commercials. They have always been a part of my career. Wait, commercials when I became an international stock superchol back.
Speaker 4: Off from when you became that the lawsuit what what did you do? At fourteen? That you promote?
Speaker 3: My first commercial was for Hershey Kisses. My wife actually found my wife when she met me and went, oh my god, I remember you from this commercial? What did you do? I was fourteen or fifteen years old. It was one of those Hrshey commercials where there were, you know, three vignettes, and I'm in the first vignette, What you do? It's me as a kid in high school. I've got my little varsity jacket on and there is an absolutely beautiful older teenage girl walking toward me in the background, and I'm looking in the camera going Mom always said, big things come in little packages, like the big taste of chocolate in this little Hershey's kiss, and this beautiful girl then goes hi, David, and without looking I go, my, Sheila, you know, so I'm the I'm the big thing a little page and that was my first commercial, and then I all through the commercial agent. At thirteen, already I had a manager and yeah, so I was freelancing with many ages. But all through the seventies as I was going to college, and all through the eighties. My career in the eighties was everything I wanted it to be, really was. I was working in the theater in New York Broadway enough Broadway, and I would do an occasional television or film thing, not anything, but I would do them. But commercials. Where I made my money was in commercials. So when I hit as a celebrity, I went, I can make more money.
Speaker 5: So what we wanted to do in this episode, but celebrity critise it looks huge.
Speaker 4: But here's the deal.
Speaker 5: I've seen some articles that say celebrity endorsements are now fraud with all kinds of issues. You got Ye or Kanye who did a deal with Adidas. They now are in a position and if I get these numbers wrong, look them up. I think they have I think over a billion dollars worth of you sneakers that they can either a sell as unbranded for next to nothing, b sell as easies for next to nothing, or put them in a landfill write it off and America will go nuts go And you put how many sneakers in a landfill?
Speaker 4: So you got that? Can they write?
Speaker 3: Can they put more letters on it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Make them?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Ye, God easy, easy? Right?
Speaker 5: They trust me. I think they got a team working on how to do so done?
Speaker 4: So okay. So you got that. You got Bread and Angelina are having just this worst worst divorce where they're suing each other and fighting about this winery you're drinking. You're drinking. You're drinking that wine.
Speaker 5: He got p Diddy is now he has a tequila brand. He has a bunch of other stuff not going so well because there's all the accusations with Diddy and on and on and on.
Speaker 3: You have In the meantime, you got Ryan Reynolds, who owns nine thousand different he's doing.
Speaker 4: But that's different. He owns what happened. So we wanted an actually to.
Speaker 5: Talk about, I know, to talk about what's happening with celebrity brands because it looks like what was our headlines for this one?
Speaker 4: Our headline for this one was celebrity because it seemed like.
Speaker 5: It looks like it's going that way, and you know, what's the weirdest And I hate to bring this up, but what I read was the turning point we're having specific contract with specific wording was the Kobe Bryant because I guess the endorsers thought, here's a guy'squeaky clean, no problem, And when they had the rape accusation, which by the way, went away, it was still was like, oh my gosh, we got to think about circumstances around athletes, around people, because we don't know, and it can tarnish your brand forever. And then there's how does the brand respond? Do they respond quickly? Did they not? Is it long term? Does it last for a long time? And then are we moving toward influencers from celebrities? Because if you, Jason Alexander, have seven products you endorsing, what does that say to me?
Speaker 3: Can I get up to seven you really want.
Speaker 4: Okay, So if anybody's watching that has any endorsement for Jason, obviously you know he's ready to go.
Speaker 3: I'm allergic to cats. Don't get me anything particularly looking for travel. Oh, I'll play a game with you later. Okay, Okay, all right, we'll find out.
Speaker 5: So we're gonna to talk to Mark has As, the CEO of the Helmsman Group, which helps brands navigate the world of consumer package good I assume he'll be able to tell us what the world of endorsements look. More importantly, I understand the subject the whole episode was getting you a gig.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's start to Mark.
Speaker 3: Let's find out Mark. I. I don't know how Peter feels. I'm delighted you're here. He has an agenda for the show, which is to find out about what's going on. I'm also well, yes, I don't know. I think you're on the unmarked negative.
Speaker 4: Mark.
Speaker 3: This is I'm happy here. I'm pretty sure this is going to wind up in some sort of commercial endorsements.
Speaker 4: Because I see, I see, because this man.
Speaker 3: Has this fire. All right, hold on, you are going, Oh, it's a trap, it's on the way. It's all going down. Gosh, your team negative, I'm team now.
Speaker 5: I see I didn't understand Mark what he was doing. You never do because I want. I wanted to find out because I'm reading articles about all these articles about celebrity endorsements, and so many of them. We just talked about easy. We talked about Angeline and Joel Liam Bradbett arguing fighting each other and yet I'm buying their wine.
Speaker 4: Really, we talked about.
Speaker 3: Let's me wrong. What do you think that they're peeing in the wine because they're getting image.
Speaker 4: They're worried about.
Speaker 5: You'll find out from him imaging this brand change. We talked about uh P Diddy is having issues right now, and on and on and on and on. So the question, this is why I searched you out, was our celebrity endorsement's gone bad? I mean, is this the beginning of the end for celebrity endorsements because they're so fraught with issues or or is nothing going to change? Or is it going from a and paid endorser to partnerships to like Jason brought up Brian Reynolds. So a guy who says I don't need any of this, I can create it myself. So first of you can address because this is your business, your life. What's happening with celebrity endorsements? How do you protect yourself with a brand?
Speaker 6: Well, they've they've really taken off.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of endorsements out there right now, and celebrities are jumping on the bandwagon. I think because they see the success from Ryan Reynolds. I think alcohol as a whole is trying to figure out what the direction destiny is. And I think the big brands the Augio Parno regard, are accessing talent because there's so much competition from artisanal products that they've seen a decline in sales, and so I think a lot of this is marketing led by the big brands to attract more consumers back to the base.
Speaker 5: So she Jason get involved in an alcohol brand? Alcohol brand? You, by the way, do you have to drink to get involved in an alcohol brand.
Speaker 7: I think it's important because there's a degree of authenticity I have.
Speaker 5: But I know somebody all right, wait, wait, wait wait wait, I just love the way. Yeah, I know somebody who is a I don't want to give it away, who is a celebrity, Okay, who has an alcohol brand that does not drink at all.
Speaker 3: Sure, I well, it's only honestly, Mark, correct me if you think I'm wrong. It's only a problem if I go, hey, I'm Jason Alexander and I drink slowly every day. If I'm lying, there's a problem. But if I go, you know, I look at that bottle. That's a beautiful bottle. My friends love it when I serve. When I serve vodka, I serve slowly. I'm not I'm not saying anything.
Speaker 4: Look at the Look at the cork, Look at the writing, Look at the font. Is is this a brand or what?
Speaker 3: Or what is this a brand or what?
Speaker 5: So the alcohol thing, it's funny because initially we're talking, we were looking at all the alcohol brands that are popping, and we had in Brian Cranson, who is an alcohol brand.
Speaker 3: But it seems like everybody's got a brand. There's that when we were when we were playing around with with h Cranson, you know, we we talked about, you know, he's got it. There's so many there must be easily, if we thought about it, two dozen that we could name or more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know about one hundred of.
Speaker 3: Those of the hundred, Yeah, how did the celebrity get involved in some cases like with our with our buddy Brian Cranston, he went and became he's the guy, he's the producer of the of the alcohol. But for somebody who's who has just been invited on as a brand ambassador? Mm hmm, what what I mean? Do do the companies not feel like they've glutted that market?
Speaker 7: So what I've seen, what I what I when I'm experiencing in our industry sectors, there are those that build brands, Ryan Reynolds, Cranston for sure, dos Hombres, Matthew Conye and his wife Pelatonis. They are coming out with their own product. There are there are many that contribute either through collaboration, they want to be part of the party, or they're sought after for their reach and their audience attraction. Because the bigger brands have seen some decline in the last three or four years of their top line sales.
Speaker 5: Is that a problem? By the way, are people drinking less alcohol? And if they are, what are they going to?
Speaker 7: So that's I would say, yes, it's happening. It's a common misconception. So the abstainers pre COVID were about thirty eight percent of the marketplace. Now it's about forty one percent. So we saw a change of three percent. Call that the Abstained great for a podcast, the Abstainer.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: But that's great, okay, And what do we know? Why do we know? Psychologically what's happened since COVID.
Speaker 7: During COVID, a lot of people have felt that they had permission to indulge whenever however they wanted.
Speaker 6: There was there was no judgment.
Speaker 7: Some people were consuming their favorite cocktails, you know, before noon. Now that we're back and socialized again, on premise sales have ticked up. The off premise sales have ticked down. People are looking at health and better health consciousness, I would say, and so the rate has declined.
Speaker 6: It's also.
Speaker 7: As we age millennials in particular and now gen Z who's coming into it, they want a more healthful experience and so they're just not consuming.
Speaker 5: Well I just saw that, and I also saw a studied said, and again, I don't know how much of this applies to your area of food and alcohol, but in beverage, but seventy eight percent of millennials aren't influenced by celebrity endorsements anymore. It just doesn't resonate. You're seeing that, you're seeing that as a difference.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I believe that, But there are these these anecdotes that are just mind blowing, Like mister Beast, I mean, he's able to attract the massive amount of consumers to his brands.
Speaker 3: I've referenced Stowshnaiah before. So if I imagine in the vodka market, stolely has got to your presence. If there is a celebrity on another vodka, is that going to push it into competition much faster than another? Is it the quality of the product or is it the veneer of the celebrity that suddenly makes something bang through like that?
Speaker 6: It there, It depends.
Speaker 7: There's three, So there's three attributes that I look at when I look at different celebrity endorsement. Stan Akrott has a vodka and a lot of that is about the bottle and the presence, and he was one of the early celebrities to bring a vodka out, so he's going to have some staying power. Now there's other vodkas that have come into the market. I think it's Pitbull. He's got a vodka and all of his claims his attributes are filter, filter, filter. It's filtered so many times, then filtered again, and then I'm.
Speaker 4: Actually water.
Speaker 5: And then it goes into the bottle pitbull. Every bottle goes through me. I'm the final filter.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow Yeah is that okay? So as a marketing guy, does that make a difference to people?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I mean if you like your celebrity and you want to live vicariously through them and be connected to them, You're always going to get sales by having a celebrity endorsement. It's always going to be a lyft and a pickup. But is it going to be a rock solid brand? I mean, the case study of Aviation Jin and Ryan Reynolds is just it's mind blowing what they were able to do with that brand.
Speaker 4: And why is it? What did he have in place?
Speaker 5: What did he have as an endorser and creator that nobody else said that he could accelerate so fast?
Speaker 6: He had appeal.
Speaker 7: He used his character persona or his irreverence to kind of create this shtick when he was doing his advertisements as commercials where he's a novice.
Speaker 6: I don't really know. I'm not really a mixologist.
Speaker 7: I don't know what to do with this, And you know, he's just it's this funny, almost slapstick approach to how he created those commercials which appealed to every person.
Speaker 3: But if his gin doesn't taste better than Schleimann's gym, I don't know from Jen, how is it gonna? I mean, what do you get? You might get somebody to go, oh, you know, let's try that Ryan Reynolds gin once. But if it doesn't measure up.
Speaker 7: So the formula for that aviation, Jen. The reason I think it performed really was it's a great product. It's a high quality product. So you have to have that. You have the presence in the persona and the marketing and the brand. Those are powerful elements. But I also call it a gateway.
Speaker 1: Jen.
Speaker 7: It's very light in flavor. From a gin perspective, it's vodka elevated.
Speaker 4: I like that better than that podka. That's what our slogan would be, vodka elevated.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking back, I kind of you'll remember this mark, you remember this, You probably remember this, dear. What was what was the image you're going for for Paul Gallo Wines by having orson wells, oh.
Speaker 4: No wine before it's time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you got a guy sitting there basically immobile. It looks like he's been sitting at that chair for a long while.
Speaker 4: You think he's been drinking the product.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, what what would be the.
Speaker 4: I guess that.
Speaker 3: It was about, Oh, I want to live the happy, carefree lifestyle of the Ryan Reynolds kind of thing. How does they can't transferent them? Oh there's a guy, I got it.
Speaker 5: That appeals to people who just want to say, if you're not active, if you have no plans of going out, of socializing, if you're just drinking home in the dark quietly.
Speaker 3: By the way, the greatest thing of all time is if you have never seen them the bloopers when Orson Wells was apparently quite inebriated trying to make those commercials, and the reading is.
Speaker 4: About I think that sold it more.
Speaker 3: That make me go if he's drinking this stuff, he's it's doing.
Speaker 5: And then don't go anywhere. So another question, how do you work tequilas? Can you flood the market with like how many is too many? All these guys are making tequilas and it's like, really we need another tequila?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the vodka and secular are the two most predominant celebrity indoors products, and you know, I scratched my head a little bit. Those are highly competitive spaces. If you really want to make a name for yourself, why are you going to where everybody else is?
Speaker 6: Choose something a little bit different?
Speaker 4: You know, like that it's for us, Mark, But what would that be?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I kind of like a Jason Alexander?
Speaker 5: What would that feel like? Are what would you.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Kind of like a Jason Alexander, what would that feel like? What would you would.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 6: Rum?
Speaker 7: I think is interesting because it's an age spirit that's you know, under represented in the marketplace, and so as a degree of sophistication, it's affordable, it's accessible, so you can have a high quality rum at a mid price point. And there's only three celebrity endorsements for Rum.
Speaker 4: Who are the other?
Speaker 6: Rolling Stones is coming out with their rum eminently.
Speaker 4: That's for bad boys? Okay, go ahead? Yeah? Who else is.
Speaker 6: Bumboo?
Speaker 3: Who is a little Wayne?
Speaker 7: And in Silver Ray Bruno Mars that's a particularly good.
Speaker 3: Product, all right. I know the demographic that's available based on those two guys, and I liked everything that Mark said in describing why I would be good for that product other than the word aged. Other than that, I thought it was very, very all complimentary.
Speaker 4: Big market rum is not huge.
Speaker 7: I think it's so you go to a segment of the market that's underrepresented. If you have the brand cachet, because there's no competition, you go into that space.
Speaker 3: You know what I like about your thinking more? What are you laughing about?
Speaker 4: I actually because it's been so transparent now we just shifted into yeah, good topic, let's fund Jason product. It's it's actually this is.
Speaker 3: And I hope the rum manufacturers that they're listening. I actually like rum on the occasions.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 3: I really I haven't. Rum is roum to me my find of alcohol. There is a sweetness to it that I really like, and it's it mixes with other things I like and mark.
Speaker 5: Not to put you in place, but if you have the money, if you have the name Chases Rum, how do you come.
Speaker 4: Up with a name for a room for Jason Alexander red Rome boy?
Speaker 6: Well, so what motivates you?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 7: What do you look for when you see a sea of products all over the place? What do you what cost you to pick one out?
Speaker 3: Usually the colors on the box. Uh No, I mean what would anybody look for. They'd look for quality, they'd look for consistency, they'd look for you.
Speaker 6: You haven't bought it.
Speaker 3: I haven't bought it yet. No. For me, then it would be Honestly, it's the aesthetics of how it's packaged.
Speaker 6: Okay, And so what what motivates you is it? Is it a bright color, a metallic color, blue, red, yellow, green?
Speaker 3: I like all of that. Listen, but look how I'm I'm so amenable.
Speaker 5: To him.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. Here's what I associate with rum that makes me go ooh fun pirates. Yeah, a bottle of rum. So I would probably go, oh, it's kind of a fantasy thing. It's kind of.
Speaker 4: It was a pirate.
Speaker 3: Color gold, silver. Uh, you could go into ocean blues, you could go into the red flags or the black flags. You could go in Yeah, what.
Speaker 4: Haven't they done a rum with pirates? All right, don't there's.
Speaker 6: Another thing week, Captain Morgan? Sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so second pirates? What's your second favorite thing to call to you?
Speaker 3: I can't do a secondary pirty theme.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good question.
Speaker 5: So if Jason put out and Captain Morgan has already been out there for seven thousand years.
Speaker 4: Isn't that a challenging way to go? My room is called captain.
Speaker 7: I mean you want to you want to leverage your persona, you want to leverage your assets. You want it to connect, you know, in an obvious way to consumers. They want to know, like, you know, what are the casts that you are best known for?
Speaker 6: The characters?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no room for you, no room for you, no room for your room.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it. He likes it.
Speaker 3: You know what Serenity rum Mark, Serenity, I like, no room for you?
Speaker 4: Better for you? Right?
Speaker 1: Mark?
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah that works? Mark?
Speaker 5: Now can you get us some only by Tuesday?
Speaker 4: Is this my way? Is this what you do? Joking?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 4: This is what he done?
Speaker 3: This is what you do?
Speaker 4: What we do?
Speaker 6: This is what we do?
Speaker 3: Mark. I'm totally up for no room for you.
Speaker 7: I just want to say, so we got to, you know, work on what kind of realm it is?
Speaker 6: What flavor profile does?
Speaker 3: What the bottle of coconuttle coconut?
Speaker 5: Next Thursday you come back on with every episode is developing Jason's Room.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine that? And it takes off? We have the number two.
Speaker 3: Mister Beast has burgers and chocolate. I've got We've got rum. Really, no, really, rum, We've done.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting here.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a small piece.
Speaker 5: Because when you do this, this is an interesting process. When you do this, does do celebrities come to you to say, hey, Mark, help me connect with the product?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 7: They When they do come to us, they come to us for a product idea. They usually have a vision of what they want to bring to market, and then we work with them to make certain that really reflects who they are as a brand.
Speaker 5: Before we go to the morality clause. I'm curious, can rouality causes have changed? Do you deal with them? You must deal with them on some level.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 7: Sometimes usually it's we're being asked to sign the morality clauses, so we're not the ones executing the agreements on behalf of a strategic for a celebrity. But it's important I understand what you're asking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it seems like, and I read the stats, it's increasing that celebrities making mistakes, sleeping with the wrong person, saying the wrong thing right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's incredibly important. And there are a couple of recent case studies, and I don't want to go into them, but you know, strategic businesses that we're working with, key celebrities withdrew their relationship very quickly because of how their interaction in the public and the public eye was met.
Speaker 6: And so it's a very real thing. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I can tell you Peter personal anecdotes. When I years ago, when I started doing celebrity endors and the morality's cause would come up, I was able to negotiate it to the point where it said if I am accused of a felony or convicted of a serious misdemeanor, that would trigger the clause. Anything else, No, Now I just have to sign it as they present. I can't negotiate it because if I go on social media and I say something and the brand feels it hurts them, they have to be able to go. We need to be able to and I go, okay, I get that they did. Times have changed, you know.
Speaker 5: And times have changed too because I saw that stars also associating with brands. Have the brand saw him rally cause because if the brand does something, sure they don't like.
Speaker 3: I don't want it to absolutely sure, but but I can. Yeah, anecdotical I can just tell you that I used to hold the line that you know, what are you accusing me of? What do you think is going to happen? And now I have to go, well, I get it. We're much more exploring.
Speaker 5: The next step is the last ques is do you have a company you compare Jason with?
Speaker 4: Before we leave?
Speaker 6: We can figure something out.
Speaker 3: I like the glint in his eyes, a little wheel.
Speaker 5: If you're just listening to this audibly, there's a little something something that just happened there. I think we had I think we made a marriage here.
Speaker 3: Mark. We will make sure you have a way of contact me before you know you're I.
Speaker 5: Was gonna give them the number right now. I don't care if people I don't care if people call.
Speaker 3: Your number and somebody out there might have an indorsement.
Speaker 5: Mark, you're a really good sport. But I I just we just may have made you possible. This may have been of a interview for both of Them's just do me a favor tonight. I think think I think some other pirates, it's been done. It's been done for the Rum. It's been done.
Speaker 3: What do you want to do with Rum? It isn't a pirate.
Speaker 4: Zombie to think of something zombie.
Speaker 3: Michael Johnson did it in Thriller.
Speaker 5: By the way, I got to bring this up because I just saw this they just did and it was so wonderful, not after by anything we're talking about. But I didn't know this as far as an endorsement. Michael Jackson was doing Thriller forty years ago, whatever that is, and Don King made a deal for PEPSI from Michael Jackson, and Michael Jackson went, oh, I'm going I don't do this.
Speaker 4: So but he made it. And I guess with Don King, you don't say no if you made it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So his lawyer, John Broncas said, Michael called me and said, Okay, I'll be in the commercial. It's a two minute commercial. I'll be in the commercial. I'm never holding the product, and I'm in the commercial for three seconds. And if you watch the commercial, it's kids and a kid dressed like Michael. They're out on the street, they're trying to do thriller. They're joking around for a good long time, and all of a sudden, the kid backs up and he realized he's backed up into Michael Jackson and he looks up. You can count to three he looks up one, two, three, it's Michael and he's gone. And now the kids are just elated because they've seen Michael Jackson. They continue dancing, they get the number down and they're out.
Speaker 3: Like it.
Speaker 4: I like it too.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna put that close in. Whatever Jason will be, I only touched the problem. He's not going to be facing forward. You will not be facing forward. Trust me, he's easy and you. I'll give you the number. You shouldn't talk to him directly. He's he's a troublemaker and a pirate thing. Come on, it's already been done. Well, thank you man, thanks for being on. Mark has the CEO of the Helmsman Group, which helps friends navigate the world of consumer packaged goods.
Speaker 4: They've helped over two hundred new.
Speaker 5: Product platforms WOW into the commercial market, representing more than two billion in sales.
Speaker 4: Why is he even talking to us?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Because all right, because it's the Jason rum.
Speaker 3: He and I are here for one reason and it doesn't have the initials p TA nothing.
Speaker 4: To do with me.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, Thanks, thank you, pleasure it.
Speaker 3: Can I just say I started this episode saying I was not gonna enjoy this. I thought you were trying to take a piece of me. I am, and let me just say, I get a this has turned out very well.
Speaker 4: I think I think this is he's actually the guy he does this. I know.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be mister rum and I'm gonna say remedy, remedy, m no, no, no rum for you, no rum for you. It doesn't make sense. It's a negative. How do you sell a product because it's funny? I don't know that? Isn't that a Seinfeld patented?
Speaker 1: Know?
Speaker 4: So it for you?
Speaker 3: That's a can we get a can they have the trademark on a sentence? They could?
Speaker 5: Well, we should find that out right right away, all right? So I just got to because I had some celebrity endorsements to go wrong. I'll just do the one because I want to get the Google hunt. But this one made me.
Speaker 4: Laugh, all right.
Speaker 3: And then I got after David talks about I got a game from.
Speaker 5: Okay, right, so Samsung gets Lebron James to do there's Samsung Galaxy, not refune.
Speaker 4: It is an endorser. What thing. He's got twelve million followers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, except that when the phone crapped out temporarily, he tweeted out, my phone just eraced everything it had in it and rebooted. One of the sickest feelings I've ever had in my life. He sent that to his twelve followers, and the immediate followed following tweet after that was from somebody said, sounds like you just heard. The sound you just heard was everyone at Samsung face planting simultaneously because their endorser just basically said, my phone, my phones a piece of So there, So there you go. So and there's a long list of celebrities we've lost their endorsements for a number of stuff, including an ever growing list of athletes that you can't even imagine. So yeah, but on my head is still spinning that you're gonna we didn't have to about branding and ended up potentially having an alcohol for you.
Speaker 4: So I'll get over it. Oh yeah, I'm good, David.
Speaker 3: You can't possibly top wow. But is there anything you would like to add? I have ideas.
Speaker 8: I have ideas of all when when you're doing an advertisement, and it includes Michael Jackson and kids, I think three seconds.
Speaker 3: Kids probably.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 3: You get to.
Speaker 5: Everybody said said he wouldn't touch the product.
Speaker 9: All right, all right, Number two, number two, trying to get a little bit of peace on your rum brand, Jason Alexander head shaped bottle, Right, all.
Speaker 5: Right, moving on, even I just threw wow, no, no, no, because Ad has a skull.
Speaker 4: You're drinking rum out of Jason's head. Think about it for a second. Okay, exactly. I don't think so, and I think you.
Speaker 3: Have to use it. George Land, I don't think.
Speaker 5: That the you can't use a George's line. It's sein film, don't pooh pooh. That's where they draw the line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're not going to get any of those unless you get approval.
Speaker 3: If it is you want, I can marry David's idea and a George line. So the bottle was shaped like me and the line and the product is called It's not Me, it's rom.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it's not Alexander.
Speaker 3: It's not it's right.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: My famous line is it's not I invented, it's not me. It's you. You're telling me it's not you.
Speaker 4: It's me.
Speaker 3: I invented.
Speaker 4: It's not me.
Speaker 3: It's you. It's me, it's not you. It's right, it's wrong.
Speaker 4: It does my head.
Speaker 3: Boy, you're exhausted, you're exhausting.
Speaker 4: Can't stand it?
Speaker 3: All right, so there we go, there you go.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, it's starting with you don't drink and now you're a rum. Okay, really really kill me.
Speaker 3: Kill me.
Speaker 4: By the way, I'll be doing a podcast for the next four hundred years. For dollar Jason.
Speaker 5: Jason sells rum for three hundred million dollars.
Speaker 9: What also if you wanted to do the pirate ideas space pirates?
Speaker 4: You know what's great?
Speaker 5: Spirates Google, and I'm supposed to give us scugahems. He's pitching around everybody in the control room. Producer Laurie David no Moss on the ideas for the rum. Okay, I think let Jason, let's.
Speaker 9: Want to PE's already tell me that you you know what?
Speaker 3: My rum is gold everyone, but tell them what's crazy? Laurie?
Speaker 4: When's our next thing? I don't know. I'm working on the Yeah, all right, you ready? David?
Speaker 3: Can I play a game with you? Or do you have more?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 1: Do? Please? Do?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: These are products that, as far as I know, have no celebrity, and this is my thing. I'm going to give you the product. You tell me who should endorse it? Are you ready?
Speaker 5: Vazzil baz basing one of the the remaining Golden Gers. A golden girl living the Golden Girls right away, a golden.
Speaker 4: Girl gold whatever.
Speaker 3: The band aids band Aids aid, who played less despin w k RP that guy?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, celebrity.
Speaker 5: On the l pay was the unready band Aids should be ready, Johnny Knoxville.
Speaker 3: Johnny Knoxville. That's very good. I was thinking Tony Hawk. Tony Hawk also very good. O Lestra, well, lest don't make it all right. Let's say they did Oprah, Oh my god? Why why not heinz ketchup?
Speaker 5: Heinz ketchup should be oh, oh, what's your name?
Speaker 1: Melia Mark?
Speaker 4: Why? Because you don't think a heartputting.
Speaker 1: Catch up on the regular.
Speaker 5: But even though I'm royal adjacent, I still live like you. I like catch that's I think that's wake. Oh Steven RT, you're doing people who are who are Wow? I shouldn't judge, by the way.
Speaker 3: I could also dig into why that but seven.
Speaker 5: Eleven seven, eleven, seven and eleven they should have as spokesman.
Speaker 3: They really should have been Celebrity.
Speaker 5: Green Day, the whole group. Why, just because I think they would look good in the seven eleven. Go and give us this, this, and this before we go into it. We look suff this is.
Speaker 3: A big company. Big company. They don't have a celebrity spokes Starbucks, Starbucks champette.
Speaker 5: Just because you're serious about coffee, is he? I'm serious about saving people as they am about cough. You know what, when you got to if you're gotta stay up twenty two hours to go save people and hate in the world and do the clean up, sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, you need a lot. You got it.
Speaker 4: Ship right away, Ship right away? Where you got right?
Speaker 3: Last one?
Speaker 5: Frontier Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Tara Reid, tell me why.
Speaker 4: Just go.
Speaker 3: John john Way. She hadn't been big, and I think saving on air for may maybe.
Speaker 4: Company.
Speaker 3: First of all, I just have an ability to do the names just come. They just can't.
Speaker 4: I tell you, I'm just not working on.
Speaker 3: With these ideas off the top of his head ideas. All right, this is a very productive day. Good or you should you should David I, thank you, Laurie, I thank you the future president and vice president of No Room for your Costs, Thank you CEO of No Room for you ladies in jail for you really the scirt or not.
Speaker 2: No Really, as another episode of Really No Really comes to it close. I know you're wondering, who are the highest paid celebrity endorsers in history? Well, we'll count him down in a moment, but first let's thank our guest, Mark Hawes. You can follow market his website Helmsmangroup dot com. On Instagram, he is at Helmsman Group and on Facebook it is the Helmsman Group. Our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and threads at Really No Really Podcast, And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online.
Speaker 3: At reallynoreally dot com.
Speaker 2: If you have a really some amazing fact or story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell so you're updated when we release new videos and an episodisodes, which we do each Tuesday. So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Who are the highest paid celebrity endorsers ever?
Speaker 2: Well, There's Catherine Zata Jones for t Mobile at twenty million, Johnny Depp for Dior at twenty million, Taylor Swift for Coca Cola at twenty six million, but that was in twenty fourteen. Selena Gomez for Puma at a cool thirty mil, George Clooney for an Espresso coming in at forty million. Julia Roberts topped that with land Comb at fifty million, same price for Beyonce and Pepsi. And then we hit the big boys, Tiger Woods for Nike at one hundred million. George Foreman and his foreman Grill made a deal with Sultan Ink for almost one hundred and forty million. David Beckham and Adidas come in at one hundred and sixty million, and blowing them all away is Lionel Messi and Adidas at a deal reportedly worth one billion dollars, all of which leads to the unavoidable question, Hey, Adidas, don't you need a voice actor for your commercials?
Speaker 3: Because I can do this for way under what you're paying. Lionel Messy call me idiotis just do it? Oh wait, that's a Nike slogan.
Speaker 2: Huh damn okay, well, call me, we'll figure something out. Really, No, Really is the production of iHeartRadio and Blaise Entertainment.