Speaker 1: Welcome everybody.
Speaker 2: It is the KSR Pre Show, Monday, March seventeenth, Saint Patrick's Day. Give us a call on the Clark's Pupping Shop phone load at eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 1: You are a whiskey thief Call of the day.
Speaker 2: Send us a text at five oo two two six five six six five six and as always, the Ksrpre Show being brought to you by Italics Fine Italian Dining in Lexington. It is the most exciting week of the entire year when it comes to sports, with March Madness kicking off, and it's also the least productive work week of the entire year. Nobody's going to be paying attention at work on Thursday and Friday. But I'm excited for everything. We got a lot to talk about, Billy. But first of all, how are you doing. It's good to see you again. Good to be back here in Louisville for me. You're in Lexington this morning. What's going on?
Speaker 3: Good morning, dude, what's up? Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you. I don't have any green on, but if you try to pinch me, I might punch you in the face. Shan, I do not try to pinch me this morning. But it's good to see you. How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good man.
Speaker 2: I don't have any green on either. I just realized that, I mean, you can pinch me, just don't pinch my nipples out like that.
Speaker 3: No, nobody like you can't pinch me. Yeah, I thought that was the dumbest thing in school. But you know what, it's your tradition. Did you go out and party like most Saint Patrick's Day weekends twenty something year olds do?
Speaker 1: Did I ever?
Speaker 3: I mean, who, you're probably too tired from the sec turnout.
Speaker 1: Who am I kid?
Speaker 2: I'll be out drinking green beer probably later on today. And by the way, you can go to ks Bar and grill. We're gonna have some of that green die beer that you can consume, and we'll go we'll go drink down some green beer a little bit later.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: You know you think about it though, like adding the color green to beer. I don't know why it tastes so much better. First of all, revolutions get a little green in it. But it's like the only thing that you consume that you can have green that we're perfectly fine with. Like, you know, if I go out and I'll order a steak and they bring it to me and they set it down in front of me, and it's green.
Speaker 1: You're sending that thing back.
Speaker 2: If I go and I order some fries and they're green, I'm not eating green fries. I'm not even eating green bananas. But for some reason, you give me a green beer. It tastes good, man, it just goes down perfectly.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you don't eat your vegetables, Shannon. Do you not have a little green on your plate every single night?
Speaker 1: It's supposed to be green. That's my point.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about adding the color green to stuff that's not supposed to be green. Beer is not supposed to be green. It's supposed to be amber or gold, not green. But you know, you ad a little green to it, all of a sudden, it's good.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, you're right, I'm right there with you. If you're at the bar you're drinking green beer instead of normal beer. They just seem to go down a little bit better. So, very festive way to celebrate the holiday. And you know what, Shannon's speaking of holidays. You see what I got right here?
Speaker 1: Aha, you got the bracket.
Speaker 3: You got the boy, you could smell it, the.
Speaker 1: Big beautiful bracket in front of you. We'll get to that.
Speaker 2: I think maybe Billy the best way to attack this. Since we've got so much to talk about, let's just go kind of chronologically from Friday throughout the weekend and kind of where we left off with the show on Friday morning. So Kentucky loses to Alabama and the se tournament, not surprisingly, but I didn't. I guess I was surprised that they got beat by nearly thirty points, ninety nine to seventy in a game where Kentucky was just beaten and bruised. I mean, they looked like they had just been in a street fight. I mean, the first game against Oklahoma, you had Colin Chandler with the blood trickling down his face like Tyler Ulis. Then on Friday night, Oh Way gets punt like just an elbow right to the face, ends up. I mean, did you see the picture of his lip? Oh both of his lips. No foul, No foul there. I mean, he was blitting all over the floor, had to get stitched up. Still came back in the game, but it just wasn't enough for Kentucky. Andrew Carr was over there on the bike. I mean his back issues I think were flaring up a little bit. So Kentucky hobbled into this game, Billy, and it showed. But you know, you gotta look forward, put that one behind you, and get ready for what's next.
Speaker 3: You know, we said it was tough for a team to beat another team three times in a single year. Well Alabama did exactly that versus Kentucky. And not only that, it was the worst SEC Tournament loss of all time. In two thousand and five, Kentucky lost to Florida by seventeen. They lost to twenty nine to Alabama in that last game. So it was definitely a tough one. It was not a fun second half. That game was in hand well into the second half. You know, Shandon, I'm not going to cry officiating. That was not the reason why Kentucky lost. But boy were there some bad calls in that first.
Speaker 1: There were some bad calls.
Speaker 2: But I saw a lot of people on social media crying, go we lost the game because the stop it.
Speaker 3: You lost by twenty nine points. No, no important distinction. They didn't lose because of that.
Speaker 2: The other thing is Kentucky went to the free throw line a lot more times than Alabama. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but you can't cry foul it being the reason that Kentucky lost. Now that elbow to the phase of oh wait should have been a foul. There were definitely some miscalls. I'm not going to say there weren't, but it wasn't the difference in Kentucky winning and losing the game. It may have been the difference between Kentucky losing bout twenty nine and losing by twenty.
Speaker 3: You're still there's a bad block call on Andrew Carr that got him into some early foul trouble. There was no continuation call on Amari when it was clearly called just the other night. So it inconsistent and that's what makes I think people the most mad. But you know what, Alabama is just the better team. And you know, they went on to not look very good in their next game, despite how well they played versus Florida, the eventual SEC Tournament champion. But you know, I think the news from that game was Mark Pope saying before the game started that they got the best possible news about Lamont Butler right, because that guy is going to be a big part of this next run for contact.
Speaker 1: And that's the situation.
Speaker 2: Lambat Butler will be available for the NCAA tournament. He was obviously still feeling the effects of that shoulder injury.
Speaker 1: It's a different shoulder injury, though, Billy.
Speaker 2: It makes me wonder, like he had that one injury all year long that he's been dealing with.
Speaker 1: This is a same shoulder, different injury.
Speaker 2: So I mean, at this point, does it mean that like his shoulders just hanging on by a thread? I mean, how many different injuries to a single shoulder can you have? I wouldn't think it would be any more than two. Lamott Butler's got both of them.
Speaker 1: Apparently.
Speaker 3: Well, he had such a big like not like cast, but like sling and brace that he had on, and Goose mentioned that they changed the brace that he was wearing to a much lighter option before the game that he reinjured it, So you maybe think maybe did that play a factor at all? You know, I'm not sure he couldn't finish with his left with that bigger brace on, so maybe they were looking to change that at all. But to hear the news that he would be back for the NCAA tournament is huge. I mean, just simply put, that's a guy. There's a reason they flew all the way to Vegas to on the first day the transferportal to try to get that guy to come to Kentucky and the shot that he hit with San Diego State. He brings a lot of experience and a calming presence to this team that's going to be paramount. And so that was some great news because this has been a year of injuries, whether you like it or not. Shenon right, I mean, we will look back in one of the biggest storylines will be you know, what could have been if this team was at full strength and without Jackson Robinson. It's good to hear that Lamont Butler will be back.
Speaker 2: Absolutely the right call though, to sit him out to make sure he's healthy for the NCAA tournament. So people are going, well, if the SEC tournament doesn't mean anything, stop it.
Speaker 1: He's not. Pope's not saying that.
Speaker 2: Pope absolutely put meaning to the SEC tournament. But if you have the choice of playing a guy possibly having them, you know, be one hard hit away from being out the NCAA tournament. It would be stupid to play LaMonte Butler against Alabama. So I think that's one hundred percent of the right call by Mark Pope. So I came back home, Billy on Saturday morning, and now we're gonna I don't even know. I mean, I guess I have to pack quickly again because I think Wednesday morning we were leaving and we're off to Milwaukee. Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Baby, here we come. Kentucky'll be the three seed taking on Troy, and if they win, and I'm not going to look past Troy just yet. We'll talk about Troy in a minute and what you know about Troy, but if they win, they'll be playing the winner of Illinois, the sixth seed or Texas Xavier. That's the playing game to get to Illinois. But Billy, I gotta tell you, just looking at the bracket, that's a very favorable path for k You to get to the sweet sixteen, even with the injuries that they have.
Speaker 1: Do you agree?
Speaker 3: I do? And then you get to the sweet sixteen theoretically, and you play a team you've already beaten twice this year in Tennessee in Indianapolis, which I kind of love. How fun. Would that matchup be Houston obviously the one seed, and they're you know, Kelvin Sampson's in great things with that program. But I can't look at that draw and think that Kentucky got slided in any way. Shannon, I mean, this is a great draw for Kentucky. It is. I mean, this is a Troy team that, while can be physical and good on defense, they are not good at shooting the three. So I think Kentucky, with their tempo, if they can have a red relatively decent shooting night, they can win that game. And then if you're able to beat you know, an up and down Illinois team, maybe Texas or Xavier, then you're onto the Sweet sixteen. And I think you've acheased every goal that you've wanted before the season started.
Speaker 1: You've a cheezed it or achieved.
Speaker 3: It a cheese achieved whichever whichever you'd like.
Speaker 2: But you know, like if Kentucky were one hundred percent healthy, I think that they would have a very good chance of getting to the Elite eight, very good chance. Now, you know, if let's say Tennessee, you know the seeds hole Tennessee makes it to the Sweet sixteen, let's say Kentucky gets there. Yes, they've beaten Tennessee twice this year. But again I go back to Kentucky just being completely bruised and battered. I just wonder how healthy La Motte Butler is going to be if they make it that far. But still, you know, you give me the bracket, you give me that path, I will take that all day. You want to look at some teams that got screwed, they don't have to look far. You don't have to look far, man, Louisville, guy, Look, I know the ac ceed is terrible.
Speaker 1: I get it. They didn't play a whole lot of great games.
Speaker 2: They still won twenty seven games, went to the ACC Championship, lost the Duke yesterday, and get not only the eight seed, you got to play a really good Creton team in the first round. Then if you win, you got to play the best team the top seed.
Speaker 3: Number one seed in the bracket in Auburn.
Speaker 2: Now, if it's any consolation at all, I guess you could say, well, Louis's gonna have a lot of fans there, being in Larst. They don't have to travel very far, just just an hour hour and a half away.
Speaker 1: But still, man like I think Louisville got jobbed.
Speaker 2: And you know, look, I'm no Lobill fan, but just looking at it objectively, I think that the Lovell gad job being the eight seed with Auburn as.
Speaker 3: They're one, a lot of disrespect towards Louisville and some real questions towards the selection committee, because how do you put Louisville in as an eight? I think they could have much rather been suited as maybe even a like a five, But you put him in as an eight. They only have three three wins against teams in the field of sixty eight. That's two against Clemson and one versus North Carolina, so you discount the conference a lot. And then North Carolina gets in Shannon with a one in twelve quad one record.
Speaker 2: I've got issues with that. We've got to talk about that. I mean, well, okay, we'll talk about it now. We'll talk more Kentucky Troy in just a minute. But did North Carolina deserve to get in? No, they did not know, They did not.
Speaker 1: It was the record?
Speaker 2: Was it one in twelve versus quad one teams? One in twelve versus quad one teams? They get in over West Virginia who had six quad one wins, Ohio State, six quad one wins. Indiana they didn't belong in at either, but they had four quad one wins and every loss was to a quad one team a quad one game.
Speaker 1: Yet North Carolina gets in.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm one to talk about conspiracy theories when it comes to the NCAA tournament. Bubba Kingham, that one the well, the North Carolina athletic director on the selection committee. And I know they're supposed to step out of the room and they're not allowed to be in on the conversation when you talk about the team that you're the AD four. But don't tell me that he's not having conversations, you know during the lunch break and during their the water cooler breaks about North Tell me, Billy, did North Carolina belong in?
Speaker 1: And I want you to answer this too.
Speaker 2: I don't think athletic directors should be a part of the selection committee at all, at all.
Speaker 1: Do you agree with that?
Speaker 3: No? Not the selection committee. Now, there are many situations where the AD should be involved. The NCAA is a collection of ads and school presidents, so I think you know that they run that position to a degree. But for the selection committee when it means so much of these teams know. The UNCAD shouldn't be taking as lunch break to convince others to help his team get in. It's unfair, it is now. I did feel bad for North Carolina versus Duke. I don't know if you saw the ending of that game over the weekend, Shannon, where there was a lane violation during the tying free throw in the final seconds that canceled it out and allowed Duke to win without Cooper flag. I get that that's tough for UNC, but this is a situation that goes to show why we should not expand the NCAA tournament. A team like UNC should not be a no doubt in the NCAA tournament field. They should be left out, and they were the team on the bubble that got let in because their AD was on the freaking selection committee. It makes me furious, Shannon, and especially in a year where the ACC is so bad and UNC goes one to twelve and quad one games and they still get in. It's just a complete brand move, is it not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can fact check me on this, but what I saw on one report was that Bubba Cunningham, you and see athletic director gets one hundred thousand dollars extra if North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Makes it into the end.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: No fact check me on that before I you know, we say facts are optional.
Speaker 1: We'll hear at KSR. So could that be wrong?
Speaker 2: It could be, but you know, again, there's so much information out there. That's what I read from one one report that he would get that bump in salary if North Carolina makes the tournament. So that's why I say athletic directors should not be a part of the select feel it feels like.
Speaker 3: This year the selection committee leaned in to the made for TV matchups more than any other year. Shannon, I mean, can we get to maybe the biggest story of the tournament in this segment or do you want to save it for later.
Speaker 2: Let's save it for Let's take a break, Let's tell it Rag, we'll come back. We'll talk more Kentucky Troy, we'll talk more about the brackets. I want to hear what your final four leave you match it man, Yep, We'll get to all of it and we'll take your calls. Eight five, nine, two, eight oh twenty two eighty seven. It's shannat the Dude, Billy reliche the KSR pre show, We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: I love that song, the March Madness theme song. This is the older version of the theme song, Billy. This is what they use from ninety three to two thousand and three. I say this every year. I'll say it again. This is the best version of the March Madness theme song. Sorry to anybody who's listening on podcasts who can't hear it, but just you can look it up. The version of it now is too slow and it's it's like it's the same song, but it's the slower version of this song. This is the best version of my opinion, do you remember this.
Speaker 3: The of course? This one shining moment after the tournament's over, another iconic, iconic sound. I did miss Greg Gumble on the selection so yesterday. I don't know about you.
Speaker 1: I don't know what is said percent.
Speaker 2: I love the intro by the way that they gave for Greg Gumble talking about the NCAA tournament and they played Rolling Stones start Me Up, which I know it was his favorite band, was The Stones. I thought that was a great tribute to Gumble there at the very beginning. But yeah, not the same without him on this Saint Patrick's station.
Speaker 3: Snon. Somebody wrote in and said, will you get any green chili at Skyline Chili shan No big day for that, right, not eating noodles, No chili, No, not doing it? Green eggs and ham no? Maybe can I interest you? I am.
Speaker 1: I will not eat green eggs and ham.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I went on to eat them in a car. I will not eat them at a bar. Oh good, I don't think that was in there.
Speaker 3: That was just arrived, So I was hoping it's.
Speaker 1: Off the top of my head. Eight two eighty seven.
Speaker 2: If you want to get in on on the Bracket challenge, you can do that with iHeartRadio's Bracket Challenges. College Basketball's Mayhem Bracket Contest, presented by salce Rita's Fresh Mexican Grill.
Speaker 1: It's up and running.
Speaker 2: You could take your shot at picking the I guess it's the perfect bracket for your chance.
Speaker 1: To win one million dollars.
Speaker 2: You can register and pick your teams at w l ap dot com or seven ninety Louisville dot com. Nobody's ever picked the perfect bracket, but best of lucked everybody with your bracket and if it's like mine. Usually by the first round you're ready to throw it away. What does your bracket look like, Billy.
Speaker 3: I haven't haven't done it yet. I just printed out this morning. Okay, uh we uh. The last two years the fiance's beaten me in the bracket challenge.
Speaker 2: Okah, all right, well we'll hang on to that and maybe during the break you can fill yours out.
Speaker 3: Know, it's kind of like picking horses, Shannon. I feel like if you just pick the name you like a lot of times sometimes that can that can end up better than That's.
Speaker 2: The most frustrating thing about these office pools. You know, I watched the games all year. I think I've got it figured out. And the sweet little old lady in accounting who's picking the teams based off their color and mascots are the ones that end up winning the office challenge. So you know what, that's that's why it's the uh the greatest two weeks in support, I guess that's right. Well, not two weeks however long, however long it is, that is the greatest first couple of days in sports. Thursday and Friday coming up, all right, So let's before we get to the phones. Eight five, nine, and two eight h twenty two eighty seven, And we do have some open lines. Do you like the bracket? By the way, I mean, I want to pose this to our our listeners out there. What do you think about the bracket? You got a couple of open lines, give us a call. Let's look at Kentucky's first round opponent, Troy Billy. First of all, what do we know about Troy? Do you know which state Troit Troy is in? Oh, and that's easy, that's Alabama. That's right, Yeah, all right? Do you know what conference they're in?
Speaker 3: The Fun Belt or yes, most people know it as the Sun Belt.
Speaker 1: Yep, right. They rank sixth in offensive rebound efficiency. I learned that this morning.
Speaker 2: Okay, but they are a terrible three point shooting team, so I feel like that plays very well into the hands of Kentucky. They are a solid defensive team, only allowing opposing teams to average sixty six points. So either way though, I feel good about this game, going in number one knowing that they're a bad three point shooting team, which of course means they'll come out and probably know nil about sixteen or seventeen threes against Kentucky in the first round.
Speaker 3: I do believe that they have the SEC or not the SEC, the Sun Belt Player of the Year on their roster as well. So somebody that we will I'm sure we'll talk more about before Friday. We've got a few days to break down the Troy Trojans. But John Summerl also comes to mind as somebody that was once at Troy. I think at one point was that true. I think he was. Yeah, So now now at tu Lane the old John Summerle game. But this is a team that Kentucky should handle, right. I mean, we've said it in the past, there's been a nervousness with this first game, but I feel like based on the draw, Shannon, you know it also being on Friday, we get a whole day to watch the NCAA tournament games and you know, not be out before the tournament even starts. So a lot of good things I think when you're looking at this, and then even if you were to look past it, I mean, I mean, Illinois doesn't scare me, Shannon, Illinois doesn't scare me.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you're not afraid of Illinois. I think.
Speaker 3: I mean Texas was a team that you you collapsed against, but that was that was you also played that game shorthanded as well without Lamont Butler. I believe.
Speaker 2: So let's just win the first one. Let's just get past Troy, because we don't.
Speaker 3: Talking myself into the second week.
Speaker 2: We all remember Oakland and we don't want to get Saint Peter again. So let's let's just get past Troy and then we'll figure it out from there. Hey, when it comes to college basketball in March Mania, one thing's for sure, Billy, Nothing's for sure. Upsets, buzzer beaters, Cinderella is advancing top seats, going home early.
Speaker 1: It's all going to happen.
Speaker 2: You can bet the unexpected, every upset, every day with DraftKings sportsbook with live betting, exclusive content, promos, and parlays. DraftKings is the ultimate college basketball destination for March. If it's your first time, here's something for you. New customers on DraftKings. Bet five dollars to get two hundred bonus bets instantly with promo code KSR. This code KSR for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings, the crown as yours if you have a gambling problem, call on DAT one hundred Gambler eighteen plus Kentucky only. Eligibility restrictions apply new customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKNG dot co slash audio eight five nine two eight twenty two eighty seven. Let's go to the phones and talk to Steve. What's up Steve?
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, guys, how you doing good? Hey to kind of recap the SEC tournament. Great job on your costear chain, and I know that was a four hour marathon. But on Wednesday, you know, the general admission seating, I got to sit down right behind the South Carolina Bitch and it was about what seemed like a ten minute dialogue between you, Mario and a security guard. I don't know if you guys elaborate on that prior show, but you kind of elaborate have that conversation with Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I talked about this a little bit on Thursdays and Friday show. But basically, when you go in and this is the first time I'd ever been credentialed at the SEC tournament, you go in and on your credential. You got numbers like mine said one, and I don't know, like another number, let's say four, doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: But I go in and they don't really point you in any direction.
Speaker 2: So, like backstage at the SEC tournament, as a credentialed media member, we could have just.
Speaker 3: Ran out there and around.
Speaker 2: We were right, we were literally right behind the Vanderbilt team. Like I could have gone in there and like given him a pep talk if I wanted to. Like, there's no security at all to stop us from just running out there and getting in the layup line with him. So we wander out there and I go over to where the media section is and there's not one seat available, So I go, okay, and Ryan, you know he's been credentialed every year, he goes over here is the overflow seating for media. So we go to sit there, and then a security guard a few minutes later comes up and goes to Mario.
Speaker 1: He goes, hey, Mario. He called out Mario by name.
Speaker 2: By the way, I name from twenty feet away, and on those credentials, your name is tiny, Like you can't you can't read that from all the way across the celebrity but this guy that worked there at Bridge Done Arena calls out Mario and goes, you can't sit here.
Speaker 1: So then, of course Matt did not like that. He went off on one of the security guards, you.
Speaker 2: Know, asked for the manager, as he should have, because here's the thing, none of us sitting there, according to the security guy, had the right number on our credential. So I basically looked at Him'm gonna look, man, I'm gonna sit here and watch this fandy game. You know I'm credentialed. I'm not going anywhere. He goes, well, I'll get the cops. I go go get them, and then uh, and then he goes he goes, well you can't sit here. I go, well, nobody here in this section, Billy, it was half full. Nobody in that section had the right credentials. I go, so until you kick everybody out of here, I'm not going anywhere. I'm sitting right here. So eventually he walked off and never bothered me again. Wow, the old what are you gonna do about it?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Thanks for the call, Steve. We gotta let you go. We're up against it here. We gotta break the take, Kim. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Take your phone calls on the KSR pre Show. It is the KSR Pre Show eighty five, nine and two, eight oh twenty two eighty seven. Little Saint Patti's stay music for you. Always think about this song?
Speaker 1: Do you know this song?
Speaker 3: Billy but I do? Drop Kick Murphy's Yeah, I've heard it before. Would you ever bust out into a river dance when you hear something like that? No, for dance.
Speaker 2: That was a big thing back in the day. Right is river dancing is still a thing that people still go watch river dance.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's a culture of people that do it.
Speaker 1: Maybe in like Vegas or something.
Speaker 3: It was always Chad Johnson would do sometimes did a river dance touchdown celebration for Cincinnati back when I was a kid. That's where I initially got it from. But you drink a couple of those green beers, Shannon, you might see me start river dancing, so you never know. It's still a thing.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You fact checked me on the unc AD, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the text line did and you know, people said, Shannon is right. I just read North Carolina AD's contract. He can get a bonus equal to one month pay if the men's team make the tournament. His annual pay is one point two million. They're hundred grand checks out if the team makes the tournament. Now, fourteen teams from the SEC made the tournament. Billy, is that incredible air or foul?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Did all fourteen teams deserve them make the tournament? Or do you think that maybe that number should have been closer to twelve or thirteen.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say fair. I think Texas was the borderline one. They were right on the edge. In Indiana, in Boise State, maybe even in West Virginia are some of the biggest snubs when it comes to the tournament. But overall, I think that I'm not too outraged by Texas getting in, Shannon. I mean, they played in the what we will remember as the most difficult and the best college basketball conference of all time. I mean, the record was eleven before this number of fourteen was reached, So I didn't see what Indiana did and think, boy, did they fully deserve to be in over Texas. So if we're looking at semantics, I go ultimately fair on this.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about what was probably gonna be one of the most anticipated matchups in the second round.
Speaker 1: If it happens, Oh, possible.
Speaker 2: Rick Bettino versus John Caliperi in the second round, if Saint John's wins their first game, and if Arkansas can beat Kansas.
Speaker 1: You're looking forward to this. I would love to see Rick versus.
Speaker 3: Cal What a pod? I mean, I wish I could get tickets to this one man. Not only does Saint John's take on Omaha in their first game and the Outrunner and he's beaten of the trash Can.
Speaker 2: See I'm a little conflicted here, like I want Patino and Saint John's to win, but you know, if they weren't playing Saint John's, I'd be pulling for Omaha because of our connection with the Outrunners and the trash can beat down that happened when they won the their conference tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I would love to see an upset, even though it would be Ricky p I'd love to see Omaha, as a fifteen seed, get it done. But not only that, I mean Bill self versus John Caliperi, two guys that have won national championships against each other in the first round. This has been a historically bad year for Kansas as well, So I mean, if they were to put a bow on their season with a loss to John Caliperi's mediocre Arkansas squad. I mean, either way you cut it, I think it's interesting. But if we were to get cal versus Rick in that second round game, Shannon, who are you pulling for?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Come on, you know, easy, easy money on Rick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got to get it done. Though.
Speaker 2: I hope that that happens because that will be a fun one to watch. I've actually got Saint john making a run and going to the Final four in my bracket. Is that right?
Speaker 1: You want to hear my final four?
Speaker 3: Oh, you've you've already got it, Okay, you can tell me. Okay, I haven't filled one out.
Speaker 1: So what I got?
Speaker 2: So I've got I'm going chalk on Auburn making making it to the final four. Okay, I think they are even though they lost in the SEC Tournament. I think they're still probably the best team in college basketball. Although Florida, you know, they've got an argument too. I've got Saint John's beating Florida though to get into the Final four. So I got Auburn, Saint John's, I got Clemson coming out of the Midwest. What look it's not going to be ones and twos and never is. You got to go out on a limb at some point. And then and then Alabama coming out of the East, Alabama knocking off Duke in the final four. So I got Auburn, Alabama, Saint John's, Clemson. Now I think Kentucky. I've got Kentucky in my Sweet sixteen. I would pick them to make a deeper run. I just I'm concerned about the injuries. That's why I don't have them going farther. If they were they were completely healthy, I wouldn't be too hesitant to put Kentucky in the final four.
Speaker 3: So you got them losing to Tennessee then Sweet sug.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, even though they've beaten Tennessee already again, you got to take into account even though Alabama just did it hard to beat a team three times in one season, and Kentucky's not fully healthy. If Kentucky were fully healthy, of course, I've got Kentucky beating Tennis.
Speaker 3: But I don't. I don't know if Clemson gets out of the first round. I mean, they've got McNeice, little will Wade, action Shannon.
Speaker 1: That's why this is the best thing in sports going. That's why I need to change it, keep it, keep it as it is.
Speaker 3: What about Vandy, I mean they made it in the deturnament. Think Saint Mary's and then Alabama back to back wins. That might be tough.
Speaker 2: Vandy is not going to win their first game. They they've lost their last three. They're on the down trend. Luckily they didn't have to play their the playing game as an eleven seed.
Speaker 1: But I don't think they make it past St. Mary's in the first round.
Speaker 3: Uh, tell me if you thought this though, Shannon, I believe it's the East Section. I don't have it on my bracket here. But when Byu came in as the six, and I thought that Kentucky was going to be that three seed, didn't you? I mean they ended up bicking Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: I saw that and I go I was sitting here watching it with my dad and I said to him, all right, I'll put money on this. And again, this is why I always lose on DraftKings, because I put money on stupid stuff. But I said, I would bet you right now that three seed's going to be Kentucky had to be Kentucky, and it was Wisconsin. Yeah, right, Yeah, it was okay. Yeah, so but I've got BYU. I think that they come out of that and they could probably make a Sweet sixteen run. I could see them beating Wisconsin, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they definitely could. But no, no, man, it's exciting Clemson in the final four though, Man, talk about bold prediction from Shannon here to start out.
Speaker 2: BacT like that's crazy. Though, if you go back and look at final what do we have a few years ago? San Diego State in the final.
Speaker 3: Four, Well, I mean just I mean think about more even more recently, I mean like NC State made a Final four, Miami made their way out there. I mean, there's been plenty of high seed teams to go on a run. So it's it's definitely possible and makes probably what the NCAA Tournament mark men's the best postseason in.
Speaker 2: Sports, no doubt. You think, what's even close? What would even come close? Not the World Series, not the NBA Finals, not the Stanley.
Speaker 3: Cup, the postseason as a whole, I mean, you're hard pressed to find anything like this.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: It's that winner go home aspect. It's in the NFL, but in basketball, it just feels feels like even more fun.
Speaker 1: Hey, five nine two twenty two eighty seven. Let's go to Jake. What's up, Jake? Oh no, Jake, Jake hung up? All right? Okay, John Short, what's up?
Speaker 3: Hey, Johnny?
Speaker 6: Nothing less with ray for our bigies. Now, I know tough that means fast. But if we're going winning women's fasty about super final corportations? Is Kentucky Vannonbilt, Georgia, Alabama and women's and men's basketball?
Speaker 2: Oh, you got Vandy in Kentucky out of the SEC and men's and women's final four.
Speaker 1: I like your pick.
Speaker 3: That may be tough, John.
Speaker 2: So the women have got Liberty Kentucky's the four seed, right, they play Liberty the thirteenth, right, and then they would play the winner of Kansas State or Fairfield.
Speaker 1: I thought Fairfield was a hotel chain Fairfield.
Speaker 6: In and I heard the Kansas So you had a six sixth center or who is injured? Most of them the season be back from Insteadily tournament. I don't know what her name iss there. She got the guy's sixty sixth center. Who is that most of the year? Did you hear about that?
Speaker 3: I have not, but I was John already looking ahead to that second round matchup.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't look past Liberty.
Speaker 6: John, Liberty, we'll be livery and don't be livery, but thirty five Vegas we canna be tory about forty five vegans. And also we're gonna be Murray Stake tomorrow night in baseball and we're gonna be sleep Auburn in baseball this weekend. Well, John, let we need to talk about that too.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you got it all figured out. I don't think we need to talk you just you just told us what was gonna happen. I don't even need to watch the games now, ok.
Speaker 1: All right, John, thanks for the call.
Speaker 3: Thank you. THEAH one of those two games being played at Memorial Shannon. So like Kentucky getting the opportunity to host, you know, in the first year of the new renovated Historic Memorial Coliseum, the Cats and first year Kenny Brooks host and in their first two games in the NCAA Tournament. What a successful year it's been for them, and then hopefully they can keep it rolling.
Speaker 2: If you had to guess, who do you think makes the deeper run, I'm gonna go with the women. I think just because of the fact that the men's team is as we've talked about, you know, dealing with so many injuries, don't have a completely healthy team. I think the women can make a deep run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have to look at their bracket. I mean, I'm not sure what it looks like outside of that Lexington Regional or at least Lexington first two games. You know, I got to think, you know, with how Kentucky plays, with how many you know, this tallest team that they've ever have, that they have a shot at it. But look, I mean they are so one dimensional with Georgia Amores. Somebody else has got to step up on that team, and I think you've seen during some of their worst losses it's been really the Georgia Amores show and no one else. So yeah, I know, look, it really helps that they're hosting those first two games. So I think if for this question, I'm definitely gonna take the women. But I'm not counting Kentucky out for getting pat getting to that second weekend, Shannon, I'm really not.
Speaker 2: I think it can happen for sure. I mean, can you beat Troy and can you beat Illinois?
Speaker 1: I think I think absolutely you can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: The women's one seed is USC. I don't know a whole lot about USC.
Speaker 3: Or US C. Okay, well, I'm glad it's not Texas. No, are you sure it's not South Carolina? Oh yeah, South Carolus No.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, it's not no South Carolina's no, it's USC.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I've been confused by this.
Speaker 2: South Carolina's on the other side of the brocket for the team, so we'll good and hopefully Texas is Texas. Texas is on the other side, and then the other one's UCLA at the top of the brocket.
Speaker 1: This is I like this, So there you go.
Speaker 7: Eight.
Speaker 1: I'm nine to twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 2: Some other green foods that are being advertised for Saint Patrick's Day, Billy, would you eat a green donut?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Krispy green green. I don't have a problem with it. You're the one that doesn't like it. Did you eat a green donut?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not eating a green donut.
Speaker 3: Why, well, it's the same thing. It's just green.
Speaker 1: Because I don't know if that's mold or if that's food dyeing that thing. That's why.
Speaker 3: Well, if it's mold, then you've got a lawsuit on your hands. So maybe you should be inclined to eat it no matter what I guess. Mold, though, is.
Speaker 1: Black, right? I don't think it's I don't think it's green. I'm just saying I don't want to eat any food that's not supposed to be green. That's green.
Speaker 3: They found black. They found black mold in my dorm, like two years after I graduated.
Speaker 1: Did you get a a compensation?
Speaker 3: I didn't get a check in the mail.
Speaker 1: You should have called TJ.
Speaker 3: What would he do?
Speaker 1: He'd make him pay?
Speaker 3: That's right, Well, what do you do?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: I just wanted you to say kind of question? Was that what I just wanted to hear you say?
Speaker 1: What will you do?
Speaker 2: Eight five nine twenty two eighty seven. We'll go back to the phones in just a minute, but first we got to take a break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: It is the KSR pre Show.
Speaker 2: Final segment of the KSR pre Show, The five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. Shit Um the Dude, Billy Rutledge, Billy tell us about the bracket challenge we got going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The twenty twenty five college Basketball Mayhem Bracket Contest, presented by Salsarita's Fresh Mexican Grill is up and running. You can take your shot at picking the correct bracket and you could win a million dollars. So register and pick your team now at WLAP dot com or seven ninety Louisville dot com. Also, if you go to WLAP dot com, you can buy some tickets to the KSR Golf Scramble. We still have some tickets left. There's only a couple left on the Big Blue Course and you can also get some on Wildcat. That scramble is at the University Club, So if you're interested in that, go to WLAP dot com while tickets remain.
Speaker 2: Shant of the dude, and let me tell you before we get back to the phones, next time you have a crack in your windshield, call Right Way Auto Glass directly. They know it can be a real pain trying to get a hold of your insurance company, but if you call right Way Autoglass first, they will handle the insurance claims process for you. They make it that easy, and at right Way Autoglass they help you from start to finish.
Speaker 1: They're locally owned and operate it.
Speaker 2: They canbine generational skill with cutting edge technology to repair your broken glass. The right way with team members who are experienced, licensed and insured. They start with integ and in with five star service. They also offer same and next day's service, as well as mobile service, so they come to you to do the replacement.
Speaker 1: It's our itte right Wayautoglass.
Speaker 2: Dot com or give him a call eight five nine five two three ten ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the phones and talk to Logan.
Speaker 8: What's up Logan, Hey, Billy A Shannon. You may have talked about this, My wife called me earlier in the show. But obviously Arkansas got in. We kind of saw what their bracket was some good storylines in. I was reading the NCUA or the ESPN's breakdown of the bracket, and one thing that I found interesting was that they noted that Boogie Flant has made a miraculous recovery and might try to play in the tournament. And I was wondering, what you guys thought about that? What you think about this injury, because I was always under the impression that they may have shut him down, not risked injury on what they thought was a lost season, and now he's coming back.
Speaker 4: What do you guys think about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was surprised to see that new, But I didn't, you know, I wasn't following Boogie Flann's injury all that closely. It was my understanding he was out for the season, Billy. But right, you know, if he's at a point to where they feel like they can put him out there and he can contribute and get some minutes for them, then good for Arkansas. But you know, I don't know if it was a miraculous recovery or if it's just Cali Perry, you know, where he maybe he could have played him during the SEC tournament, but we know what Cal thinks about the SEC tournament. To him, it doesn't mean anything, So why would he play risk a further injury to a guy who's coming back from injury.
Speaker 1: So, you know, it doesn't surprise me. Cal has always sort of been.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the words sneaky or just sort of you know, like you haven't seen him, you know, I mean I've seen him, and now you have to have those injury reports in the SEC. Right, But yeah, it doesn't It doesn't shock me that he's coming back. But it was my understanding that he was out for the year.
Speaker 3: Well, it was conveniently said before the selection committee made their final decision, so maybe some positioning by cal But I think the bigger news is the do THEO is still going to be out. I don't think he's available for their first game versus Kansas, So you better hope Boogie's ready to go and comes back, you know, not with any rust, because it's gonna be a tough game regardless of who's playing.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Jake Hey, Jake.
Speaker 3: Hey, I want to apologize Shannon, then I missed miss don't go ahead.
Speaker 1: It's okay, go ahead.
Speaker 6: I am just wanted the just wanted to get your thoughts on Kentucky women winning the winning win a winning it all this year.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the call, Jake. I don't know that I'm gonna say they're gonna win at all. I think they've got a great chance to make a deep run. As we just talked about, You've got South Carolina and Texas on the other side of the bracket, so that's good news. You don't have to worry about facing either one of those teams unless you made it to the championship game.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I think they can make a good run.
Speaker 2: I don't know how far of a run they're going to make I would say Sweet sixteen is definitely doable and after.
Speaker 1: That we'll just see what happens.
Speaker 3: Well, what what what is success for both of these teams? Shannon? Is it the second weekend for both the women and the men? I mean, because of the way that the bracket has fallen, I feel like it could be. I mean if in the outside looking in, Kentucky should get past Troy in possibly Illinois, right, and if you look at how what Kenny Brooks has achieved, how the caliber of player that George Amore is. I mean, if they don't get to the second second weekend, I mean, that would be a tragedy, would it not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But again, in the NCAA tournament, there's so many things that can happen.
Speaker 3: You know, It's like it's sound like a beaten dog a little bit, Shannon, Like, I know, like these last couple of years have been tough, but we're Kentucky, man, we gotta have higher exectations than.
Speaker 2: That can excuse us. But you don't have a full roster. You're going in with your first, your second, your third guard. You know, two of them out, one of them barely probably able to even play. But he's going to try to give it a go. Yeah you should beat Troy. Yeah you should be Illinois. But is it a is the season a failure? No, it's not a failure. If they lose to Illinois in the second round. I say, let's just get the first win and take it from there. Let's let's just worry about beating Troy. Okay, I think you beat Troy. That's Mark Pope's first ever NCAA tournament win. I'm not gonna say I'm happy if they go on in the second round, but I'm gonna say overall, dealing with what he's dealt with, I'm gonna say it's his success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and let's see how healthy Lamon Butler is, right, Like, I mean, the guy may come in with one arm in that game versus Troy, and then you really have to adjust your expectations.
Speaker 2: But some people may look at that and go, man, you know you've really changed your expectations for Kentucky. Well, I mean again, you have to look at the overall picture. This is not a completely healthy team. Now you can say, well, there's a lot of teams out there that aren't healthy, but I don't know that there's any team that has dealt with the extent of injuries like Kentucky has all at one position.
Speaker 3: I want that Kentucky Tennessee game. Shannon in Indian. Yeah, I mean, I'm not come on, ring, let's go.
Speaker 1: I'm not afraid of Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Now Houston and.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little afraid of the Houston, but I don't have I think Houston could be upset early.
Speaker 3: Oh really yeah? Maybe s I U Edwardsville. No, just go right off the bat.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying the first round, but I don't I don't know that though, I don't know how far Houston will make it.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see Anthony Hick. What's up.
Speaker 6: Morning, guys?
Speaker 7: Go with you going on here?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 7: Draft Kings trying to make a round robin bet with all fourteen SEC teams and I've confirmed this with two other people. You can only bet twelve. There's only showing twelve SEC games Draft Kings. I'm missing Auburn and all miss just one. Did you guys look into that? Maybe bringing up with Matt and the Leader show. But for some reason on Draft Kings it only shows twelve SEC games. I'll hang up and listen.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure about that. Thanks for the calling, Anthony.
Speaker 2: And I'll be honest with you, I've never done the round robin thing on there, so I'm not completely well.
Speaker 3: It's because those teams don't have an opponent yet. There's a couple of playing games that need to be decided to include Auburn's play in game and uh and Auburn's opponent in their playing game and Ole miss I believe.
Speaker 2: Makes perfect sense. Got about a minute left. I'll give you thirty seconds, Caleb, go.
Speaker 5: Hey, buddy, love the song. Ko's been listening to it on Spotify all weekend.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: One quick comment. We love Milwaukee. And there's a bar up there you'll up shand and it's called safe House. It's an espionage bar. You got to have a password to get in. If not, they'll make you do a little dance. And then I just wanted to see how it was being credentialed the first time in Nashville.
Speaker 1: Credential Being credentialed is overrated. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Apparently, thanks to call Caleb, we appreciate espionage. That sounds like a fun place to go.
Speaker 3: Would you do a little jig to get into a bar or would you just say eh, I'll just go to a different one.
Speaker 2: Depends on what's inside the bar, Like if you're tell me it's like the coolest bar ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might.
Speaker 2: I might do that, or I would just get the password and go in. It sounds like a Ryan Lemon bar speaking down.
Speaker 3: Chanton would dance to get in anywhere.
Speaker 2: A promo code KSR bet five get two hundred and bonus beats on DraftKings the Crown of Yours ga't only problem one one hundred Gendbuler eighteen only Kentucky only, was bit restricts of digital Terms, Responsible Gaming re Resources DKANJ dot co, slash Audio.
Speaker 1: That's it for the pre show KSRS next. Thanks for listening.