Speaker 1: Hey, fan Doritos, Welcome back to a brand new episode of How Rude Tanerritos. Today we'll be ranking season three of Full House, and we have a special surprise. We've recruited Jeff Franklin, the creator of Full House, to rank the season along with us. You'll get to hear what the best and worst episodes are from the man himself. So let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up, Hi, Jeff.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you're here for that. This is so exciting.
Speaker 3: I know, we finally get to have Jeff in here for one of our recap episodes.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited for this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, missed all the other ones. I'm happy to be involved.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, we felt a little bad at how we've been a little critical of the show.
Speaker 2: Not critical, love.
Speaker 4: A lot, I get it, you know, Okay, good and all of the all of the vicious criticism is well deserved. I can't I can't really.
Speaker 3: I like to think it's not vicious but hilarious criticism.
Speaker 1: Criticism. You know, it was a sitcom in the nineties. We're going to poke fun at us.
Speaker 4: The year is better than others, Well, haven't we all?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I mean, we had so much fun having you at the live show. That was such a tree, so great to see each other again.
Speaker 4: It was so nice to see all the fans there too. That's that was that made the whole thing for me, right, that was the best. That still care Like oh my god, oh.
Speaker 2: They do care enough to fly halfway across the world.
Speaker 1: Like that's wild.
Speaker 2: That's just what. And it was I mean, any.
Speaker 3: Excuse for us to get together and be silly and have fun, you know, well yeah we we just so appreciated you.
Speaker 2: Guys coming out.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It was again Shannon McClure, la, my friend, I love you you like just create. I was like, I told her, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, we need I need Stephanie from the wedding.
Speaker 3: Episode, but I need it like like now. And she was like, okay, yeah, I was like, but I was like, I need.
Speaker 2: It to let like like to take that as inspiration.
Speaker 3: She was like, on it done, and within like days she was like, here's what I've got.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, this is gonna be so great.
Speaker 3: And like Andrey and I didn't see each other before we got like fully dressed and uh oh it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got.
Speaker 3: Dressed together and then the second week came out to like show everyone it was.
Speaker 2: Everyone wanted to get pictures of it. It was absolutely, hilariously ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It is perfect, very special, and we're so glad that you were a part of it. It wouldn't have been complete without you.
Speaker 4: To do is ask, I have nothing to do?
Speaker 1: Well, you have a lot. You can defend all of your decisions that you made.
Speaker 2: You're looking for an engineer.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you're any good with microphones, but mine is really weird.
Speaker 4: So every time I hit assume buttons.
Speaker 3: I have, we call it the ghost mic. For whatever reason, my microphone. This is a new microphone. Well not for whatever reason. We figured out the reason and it's me. But for a long time, it would just mute itself, and we didn't we couldn't figure out why, Like what was happening. I think I kept pushing a button that I didn't know about, but.
Speaker 2: I also think it was the microphone. Anyway, I'm just gonna say it's not always me.
Speaker 4: Well, I can relate it.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I told you this a few days ago when you texted me, Jeff. But I'm in the middle of reading your book. It is so good Jeff's coming out with a book next year. I can't wait to everyone, everyone, please buy it. It is he's such a great storyteller and he has so many great stories to tell. Yes, and I'm learning things that I never knew during that time period. It's just it's fascinating. I love it. I told Jeff I'm giving it a full red Pen edit. So I'm going to line by line full a full Sherry Barber review.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it right, So I'm just giving it to you to you know, rewrite.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, I'll do all your copy editing, I'll do your proof reading. I'll do all that. You don't need to you don't need your people to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, I can't wait to read that too, because I know there's some really amazing stories in there. I've heard some of your stories and I'm just like, oh my wait, you were there for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was surprisingly fun to write.
Speaker 1: Oh good, I'm glad good.
Speaker 3: So this is kind of fun to look back on all that stuff go like, oh, well.
Speaker 4: One of those you know, connect the dots of your life and see if yeah, and try to see how we got here and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah it's there.
Speaker 3: It really does make you like makes you grateful for some things, makes you really reevaluate.
Speaker 2: Some things all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Sometimes there are things that you're like, I never realized that that started there.
Speaker 2: And then with us, all this was yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know when I'm connecting the dots too, because I'm like, oh, that's why Danny Tanner is a clean freak, or oh that's why like I'm I'm I see why the characters are they why you wrote them this way.
Speaker 4: The happy accident of this show was how how amazing, amazingly perfect those actors were for the parts that I wrote. Was very bizarre. I mean it was just perfect casting. Yeah, you know, and by accident but amazing. So that that was a big part of what made the show work.
Speaker 1: Well, I wouldn't say by accident. You had a lot to do with You thought it pretty hard for some of them, so yeah.
Speaker 4: But I didn't. But I didn't write for for actors. I just made up stuff, right these people appeared. Yeah, so right for those characters, you.
Speaker 2: Kind of like spoke it into existence, you know.
Speaker 4: It's just it's very rare. And then for everyone to this little fake family to turn into a real family just say on the cay because amazing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's been the biggest blessing and we're also happy it's all because of you, Jeff.
Speaker 2: We have you to godfather of full House.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a little something to do with it.
Speaker 2: I'll give you Well.
Speaker 3: Shall we jump into rating season three?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's been a while, it's been a minute since we.
Speaker 4: Ye you want to see five?
Speaker 2: Now we are, we are.
Speaker 1: But behind on these these.
Speaker 2: Do you want? I'm sure.
Speaker 4: You know. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: We deserve it. We deserve that, we deserve it.
Speaker 2: And also.
Speaker 3: Timeliness and uh order are not exactly some of our strong suits.
Speaker 1: We're reviewing around season three. Now, we'll get to season four at some point and then we'll do this. We'll do this for every season's catching up.
Speaker 3: Okay, but we will go through and read a short little synopsis of each of the episodes so that we all get a reminder, because lord knows, I have no idea what we watched two weeks ago, let alone season three, which has stated.
Speaker 1: Was okay, So we start off with season three episode one, What a Banger Tanner's Island. We start off in Hawaii to celebrate the two year anniversary of the day when Jesse and Joey moved in to help out with the daughters. Danny surprises the family and his co host with a special trip to Hawaii. Amazing. I mean that was a pretty it's ambitious. That's an ambitious opener for a season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, yeah, we were we were just thinking what would what would be an exciting opening, you know, let's get him out of the house.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, that turned into let's.
Speaker 4: Let's go somewhere fun, I where I wanted to go.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so great. That was amazing one.
Speaker 3: And then joe Oh yeah that would be neat Hi. Season three, episode two, Back to School Blues. DJ feels left out as she enters junior high school, and she devises a plan to get her social life back on its feet.
Speaker 1: Oh I remember this one.
Speaker 2: What was the plan?
Speaker 1: Remember Becky had to teach her how to do her makeup in an appropriate way.
Speaker 3: Right, and you guys had the outfits and the things in the math.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, now I remember.
Speaker 1: I remember. I was like, DJ was wearing the same outfit as the teacher in the phone. Yes, yes, you're welcome, Yes, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so great.
Speaker 1: I was so mortified. I forgive you. That's okay, it was the joke worked.
Speaker 2: So the jokes gotta work. The jokes gotta work.
Speaker 1: Next episode three, breaking up is hard to do. In twenty two minutes, when Jesse and Rebecca hit a rough patch in their relationship, DJ and Stephanie try to fix things up between them. They had so many like breakups or fights or whatever. One was this one, I don't know.
Speaker 2: This was just another whatever just and yeah it was something else that. Yeah, I don't remember what happened.
Speaker 1: Well, this is only didn't they They almost got married in Tahoe in season two, right, and so now they're right. That was at the end of season two, end of season two, and then okay, now they're almost breaking up right here in season three.
Speaker 4: Two very headstrong, indeed there strong personalities and oh yeah, one wanted to go to I think Jesse wanted to go to Graceland.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for the heart.
Speaker 4: Yes, he wanted to go see your parents on the phone. Yep, And that became a big, big problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, big big problem, all right.
Speaker 3: Season three, episode four, we have nerd for a day when Jesse learns that Stephanie has been joining her fellow classmates and making fun of another child, He takes up the responsibility of encouraging his young niece to apologize and change her behavior. This is also known as the duck Face episode, duck Face, the duck Faced the duck Faced episode.
Speaker 2: Uh, great, loved it.
Speaker 1: This was such an episode.
Speaker 3: He's with is such a great character, I mean, Walter and Duckface. I know at the time it was probably mortifying for him and for me, but like now I look back on it only because kids were that were like weird and jealous at school.
Speaker 2: But like, the story itself is brilliant.
Speaker 1: It's so brilliant.
Speaker 2: It's so great and.
Speaker 3: So important and so typical, Like, oh, how many times have you just heard your kids and you're like, don't be that person, like you know, because we know you're like, this is what you do.
Speaker 4: Those were the days where you have to be mean in person.
Speaker 1: Right, Well you know what that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, solved solved a lot of problems worse student, Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then you took the chance that somebody might punch you, so you know, keyboard courage is easy. There's a lot of distance. But yeah, I loved Nerd for a day. It was such a great just a really great message of like being kind and I also love that. Then Walter comes back and we get to see that it wasn't just Steph like trying to play date Jesse or be nice for one day. Like she actually was like, no, you know what, Actually I was wrong.
Speaker 2: You're kind of cool. So so I appreciated that.
Speaker 1: And Witt is lovely. We interviewed Wit several months ago, but he's just such a lovely and talented person, and yeahness, it was great to reconnect with him. Next, we have episode five, Granny Tanny, when Danny's mother arrives for an extended visit. The family realizes that as a divorced and retired woman with independent children, Claire's recent retirement has left her feeling useless. We you recast this role, like this is not the original player is Doris Roberts. What's what was the reason for the recast?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we we We've got a bigger name. Yeah, and she reminded me of my mom so much.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, now that you mention it, I can absolutely see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they hit it off.
Speaker 1: It was great, Oh good, good, lovely, all right?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Season three, Episode six Star Search, Joey gets a chance to appear on Star Search and Michelle wants to sleep in her ballerina skirt.
Speaker 1: This was great.
Speaker 2: I did like the Star Search one.
Speaker 1: Did you guys go? I can't remember, did you guys go? Were you in the Star Search theater or studio whatever you call it? Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is this the one where you were a judge?
Speaker 4: This is my only appearance on Full House. I was. I was one of the judges.
Speaker 1: That's right, Your loves you and I think Christian Alfonso was judges from Days of Our Lives. Yeah, and I can't remember that.
Speaker 4: Who was the Star Search then asked me to be a judge on the real show. I got to go be a judge.
Speaker 2: Oh how fun?
Speaker 4: That was the year they moved the show to Orlando, So that was my one and only time in Orlando. I got to go to Disney World.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah that was great.
Speaker 1: What an honor?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, that's so fun, good old man, judge you.
Speaker 1: And next see episode seven is and they call it Puppy Love. When a stray Golden Retriever shows up in the backyard, Joey and the girls fall in love and try to keep the pup hidden from Jesse and Danny. You got your.
Speaker 2: Golden in the comet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so sweet.
Speaker 2: I was so glad when we had a dog on the show. I mean it was time love dogs, as we all know.
Speaker 3: So I liked that Steph and the comment were kind of always hanging out. Episode eight, Divorce Court, dj and Stephanie refused to share a room any longer and argue over who will stay and who will move, and Danny holds court to mediate between them.
Speaker 1: Ah. This comes up again and again alonggoing Battle as it is. Episode nine, Doctor Dare rides again when one of Jesse's former buddies drops in unexpectedly. It's a nostalgic trip down memory lane as they reminisce about their reckless days from the past.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yes, Scott Bao episode.
Speaker 2: Scott Bayo episode. And the.
Speaker 3: Motorcycle on the edge of the parking structure right, yeah, I got the sony parking structure.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Episode ten, The Greatest Birthday on Earth, Jesse, Stephanie, and Michelle are locked in at a gas station just as Michelle's birthday party is about to begin. This one was cute. I did like this one. The gas station birthday party.
Speaker 1: This was cute. This was a good way for Jess. He kind of saved the saved the birthday if you will, Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay. In episode eleven, after Shocks, we had you on, Jeff to discuss this very important episode. Stephanie suddenly becomes very possessive of her father after an earthquake rocks the household. Such a good episode. Oh yeah, a core memory from that year.
Speaker 3: And then we have episode twelve Joey and Stacy and oh yeah, Jesse. Joey begins dating a backup singer who encourages him to stand up to Jesse and pitch an idea to a client about a commercial without Jesse.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's right, Yeah there was that. Yeah, I remember that one, I think. Okay.
Speaker 1: And episode thirteen, No More mister dumb guy. Jesse takes drastic measures when he feels threatened by Rebecca's intellectual friends after she invites him to a cultural arts party. This was funny. I mean, Jesse was just insecure at his finest. But I loved it. I thought it was I thought it was really funny.
Speaker 2: All right. Episode fourteen, Misadventures in Babysitting.
Speaker 3: DJ wants to earn money for a phone line in her room, but the child she is looking after does not make her babysitting job easy. This was the head and the banister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was his head in the banister. Stinker the butter kid.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And I put my stinky foot up to his face. Yeah, my dirty socks.
Speaker 2: That's right. One of your favorite moments, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Definitely Episode fifteen, Lust in the Dust, Danny's budding romance with Stephanie's dancing instructor flounders after he glimpses her untidy house. One of Debbie Gregory's many rolls on Full House.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: Look, we all, we've all in our.
Speaker 5: Lives, you know, see the things we do for love and to keep the peace yep.
Speaker 1: And we realized that Danny's got a thing for teachers like they're Sennorita Mosley. There's a dance instructor. There's the kindergarten teacher, Bill Trout. He's got a type.
Speaker 3: Then we have episode sixteen, which is Bye Bye Bertie.
Speaker 2: Michelle loses the preschool's pet.
Speaker 1: Bird that didn't win her any favors. Episode seventeen one of my all time favorites, thirteen Candles, DJ hopes to receive her first kiss at her thirteenth birthday party, so Kimmy arranges a spin the bottle game. This was so fun, so fun.
Speaker 3: Mister egghead of this one's Episode eighteen, Joey auditions to be the host of an educational TV show for kids in front of Stephanie's class, with disastrous results.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is where you got punched in the head. Yeah, you're stunt. That was funny. Episode nineteen, Those better not be the days. Danny, Jesse and Joey try to combat the girl's ingratitude by swapping rolls for a day, but the strategy backfires. Now this is one where they dresses older. Yeah, age them up right, and then the girls are we have older characters, older actresses playing us. Yes, iconic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was when Ronda Sheer was you.
Speaker 1: Yeah she was perfect.
Speaker 2: That was perfect?
Speaker 1: O great, Yeah, so good.
Speaker 3: Episode twenty Honey I broke the house. Stephanie is left without supervision and accidentally back show his car through the kitchen wall.
Speaker 2: Car through the kitchen episode.
Speaker 1: Which was based on didn't That was based on sort of a true story in your life, right, Jeff, how you backed into your garage door or something like that.
Speaker 4: Later later on, my mother drove into a pharmacy and made it a drive through.
Speaker 1: Oh no way, Yeah that was later. Okay, okay, yeah too funny Okay. Episode twenty one Just Say No Way. Dj asks Jesse to perform at a school dance. When he catches her with a can of beer in her hand, he thinks she's been drinking. Another very special episode.
Speaker 3: Yes, Episode twenty two, Three Men and Another Baby. Michelle is jealous and territorial when the family baby sits for a neighbor's infant, especially of her uncle Jesse.
Speaker 1: Jealousy because it wasn't Howie. That's why she was sure Howie. She told George for Howie. That's why. Episode twenty three, Fraternity Reunion, Danny and Joey scheme to retrieve their old fraternity deal from a sorority and plan to attend the fraternity reunion dressed as women. A nod to your bosom buddy days, jeff.
Speaker 2: YEP of course, absolutely love it.
Speaker 3: And the last episode of season three, episode twenty four, Our Very First Telethon, Danny falls asleep while hosting a twenty four hour telethon to benefit a children's charity, and the girls steal the show was going on and there was that Season three had a lot of things, a lot of things.
Speaker 2: This might be my favorite season.
Speaker 1: I know I said that when we did season two and then season one, But this might be my favorite season seas.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A fan favorite seems to be season four. And there are several iconic episodes. But I feel consistency wise, season three like kind of just we kept hitting like.
Speaker 2: Eights, you know what I mean? Yep, I agree we had a good run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would agree with that. There's so many memorable episodes, not not not too many flops, if any at all. So yes, yeah, and three was solid.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Shall we shall we start ranking what we what we got here? We've got a few, Yes, we've got our usual categories of course, the best episode, worst episode, funniest, saddest, most memorable, most forgettable, and weirdest.
Speaker 2: But you want to check out our fan editions, abe.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you fans for these suggestions. The fans vote, The fans gave us these categories. They give us some extra categories. Yeah. There suggested categories are episode with the worst behavior by Jesse, Bob's best episode, I love that category, and the episode with the best message for kids. So great additions fan Ritos, thank you for those for those editions. We love it. Let's uh, let's start at the top with your best episode.
Speaker 2: This was hard.
Speaker 4: Hard.
Speaker 1: I could pick multiples for this.
Speaker 4: Well, I have a top two.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell us your top two.
Speaker 4: And I think, well, Honey, I Broke the House is I think the perfect all around episode where everyone gets to be funny and the story is really good and the heart scene is impeccably performed and written. It's just so. I think that is probably one of the best episodes of the whole series. And then the other one is Thirteen Candles, which something which is a storyline that everyone can relate to. Everything had a first kiss or if you're a kid watching, it's thinking about that, right. Yeah, it's just it's a great storyline. It was a really strong heart scene with Becky and DJ. Yeah, really well written. I perfectly performed, and yeah, I just thought and it was funny. It was really funny that the spin the bottle game was great.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the guy's spying on them and you know, being bad dads, and it was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would say, Honey, I broke the House by a.
Speaker 1: Fingernail, But ok, have fingernail. Oh good, those are.
Speaker 4: Guys come out.
Speaker 3: I actually said thirteen candles. I actually said thirteen candles. Okay, my brain, Yeah, I said thirteen candles, but it was it was between those two as well.
Speaker 2: But I put that one elsewhere in the list.
Speaker 1: But I just, honey, I broke the house because you broke the house.
Speaker 2: I did break the house.
Speaker 1: Assume you would pick up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But like you said, thirteen candles was just such a great episode because it was so real, you know what I mean, Like so many sitcom episodes like it's real, but it's silly, or it's over the top, or it's like this one just felt like a very genuine storyline of like middle school or high school a you know that that like crappy early teenagehood, and like just the heartbreak and how sort of mean they are to each other without thinking sometimes or thoughtless and like you're just trying to be cool, and how awkward and your parents are like what is happening?
Speaker 2: It was just, again all around, like a really great story, really great episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with all of those points. So it's such a milestone in everyone's life. And then just personally, like I remember being so embarrassed to you know, have my first kiss right in front of a studio audience and my parents and all all of you, your parents, Cannas is praid. But it's such a great memory for me, especially. We interviewed Jake Bitterman yes last year, a couple of years ago, and he's such a lovely person with such fond memories of his time on Full House, and so it just brought this whole thing full circle for me, and I thought, what a beautiful memory. Like I used to be like, yeah, I had my first kiss on TV, but now I'm like, yeah, I had my first kiss on TV and it was fantastic. Yeah, personally, this is just such a favorite of mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Maybe your kiss lasted about you know, a millisecond.
Speaker 1: Right, it felt like five minutes.
Speaker 3: Oh god it right, this is the longest second of my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, but it really was. We barely touched lips, but I was yeah, you know it, uh yeah, it felt like a lifetime exactly.
Speaker 3: It felt yeah, like about as long as you would want to kiss someone in front of your parents and a bunch of other people. It was about that long, you know what I mean? Like, yes, well, thank you so much, fan Urritos for joining us for this episode. And guess what, we have more of this coming up because we had so much fun talking to Jeff that we just we kept going and we had so much to talk about because season three was kind of epic. So join us next time for some more fun episodes to talk season talk with Jeff Franklin, and we will see you then. Remember like and subscribe to the podcast, follow us on Instagram at how Rude podcast, send us an email at how Rude Tanner Ritos at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And remember, we will see you next time. Because the world is small, the house is full.
Speaker 1: Of cars.
Speaker 2: It's full of cars.
Speaker 3: Just cars in the kitchen, cars in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Yep, so many cars