Speaker 1: Thanks for being here at Brook and Jeffrey in the morning, and this is your second Date podcast And if you're.
Speaker 2: New to the pod then you might not know.
Speaker 1: Every Tuesday we do a little segment called the Awkward Tuesday phone call. Yes, yes, it's where somebody may have a different type of relationship issue, whether it be you know, a mother or a neighbor. This one is a friend group, we'll just say, and it definitely the Drama kids and it is very dramatic. I can't wait to see what people think about what this woman?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 1: In our comment section, which we love reading, alexis what kind of comments are we getting today? Yes, okay, I saw one from Natalie who said, at my workplace, most people listen to educational podcasts or audiobooks, but I'm just here listening to your show all.
Speaker 2: Day every day. Why I get smarter when you can be with us. We love that exactly. And then someone.
Speaker 1: Texted about the Awkward Tuesday from Indianapolis, Indiana, where you're just about to listen to it, yes, when you're right here, and they said it would be awesome to have a follow up of what happened from the lack.
Speaker 2: Of a party we don't get enough updates from awkward Tuesdays. Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a pretty awkward call to start with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's all dependent on whether or not the two people call us back. So hey, listen, let us know what you think about this situation in the comments, and thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 2: Your podcast starts right now.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget my seventh birthday when I was opening presents and one of my quote friends gave me a remote controlled car that couldn't even transform into a robot. But when that happened, my butler kicked Henry out of our house so fast, and my parents paid my elementary school teacher to shame him for the rest of the school the rightfully. So okay, and apparently I'm not the only one with kid's birthday party drama.
Speaker 2: Oh man, job, what a hard life you've lived.
Speaker 4: Because one of our listeners was shocked by the children's birthday invite her son received recently. In fact, all of the parents were bothered by the strange instructions on it, and it's so uncomfortable. She needed our help to do an awkward Tuesday phone call We're gonna do it right now.
Speaker 3: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 4: Is there anything sweeter than a child's birthday party?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: They're a blast paw, patrol cakes, bouncy castle, the.
Speaker 2: Goodie bags are like off the hook.
Speaker 4: R oh yeah, the magicians making mommy's blouse disappear. But behind every balloon arch other parents stand in silent judgment judgments.
Speaker 3: You're wondering who.
Speaker 4: Cheap out on the decorations, who are svp'd late? Who thought a glitter slime kit was an acceptable gift for a carpeted well. I mean, you have a lot of unspoken drama that happens with these kids birthdays, and that's why one of our listeners has reached out for help.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, No, you're being serious. There is kid drama.
Speaker 4: I'm serious, like a joke. Her name is Ginger and she is going through it right now. Ginger, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Hi you guys, did.
Speaker 2: You not get invited to a birthday party you wanted to go to? Ginger?
Speaker 7: I wish?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, what's going on? What made you email us about something about a kid's birthday party.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so my seven year old son, he got a birthday party invitation from one of his classmates.
Speaker 2: That's cute, Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it seemed onat first, a little birthday card, you know, with balloons and confetti on it. Yeah. Yeah, But then I read it.
Speaker 2: You read the invitation.
Speaker 6: I was so confused because like, there's no time listed, no activities, there's no party.
Speaker 2: What what do you invite?
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just like a playdate. Then is it just him and his buddyh.
Speaker 6: No, they just want us to send gifts to their house. No party at all.
Speaker 2: Excuse me?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: No, it's not a party invite, it's a gift invite.
Speaker 3: Like, there, send your gifts this way.
Speaker 1: There's a family asking for gifts for their seven year old kid's birthday.
Speaker 3: But not a birthday.
Speaker 6: It literally says please mail or drop off presents by next Saturday at.
Speaker 2: Stuck in your mouth, Oh there's a deadline. Is it a joke? You're not getting like, how could anyone do that?
Speaker 6: No? And then they feel the deal, thank you for participating in this wonderful celebration.
Speaker 5: Oh is it like a setup for something else?
Speaker 3: Like you're gonna make a collaj.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's like they're collecting gifts for like kids that don't have funds for birthdays, Like is it a charity day?
Speaker 6: There's no mention of charity. It is all for their kid.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's boring.
Speaker 6: I mean I was thinking maybe it's like a health thing. You know, maybe somebody's sick and they don't want to expose other people.
Speaker 2: There's a logical explanation. True, Yeah, okay, did you find out.
Speaker 7: No, they're still showing up to all the school events.
Speaker 2: Oh, the kid is okay, the whole family okay.
Speaker 3: So probably not a health issue and they're not in a giant like bubble.
Speaker 2: What family of kids wants more crap in their house? Like that's another Well, kids wants all the toys they no way, dude, my kids, they say no gifts on the invitation.
Speaker 3: Is Brooks stay and kids don't like toys and.
Speaker 1: Giars saying they don't need it, Like my kids don't need that stuff.
Speaker 4: I mean I've heard of that before, but this is sounds like you're being invited to a wedding but you're not allowed to attend the actual You just here's the wedding registry. Thank you for buying a gift.
Speaker 5: Mind bringing gift, but like, let's have a party, let's barbecue, like.
Speaker 3: Or is this only you and your kid?
Speaker 4: Do you know if other children are being invited to a party?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So I talked to some of the other parents and they all got the same invitation.
Speaker 2: I cannot imagine your mom group chats right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're pretty spicy right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the question.
Speaker 1: Are they like down on their luck, like the family doesn't have money to afford the gifts.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I just think this is odd.
Speaker 7: I mean, who does this?
Speaker 6: Who throws the kids party and none of the kids can go?
Speaker 3: Okay, if that was the case, in.
Speaker 5: A gentle way, they would say that it's a tough year.
Speaker 2: For us, we'd appreciate something or some help. Yeah, yeah, and I guess that's what that's what go fundmes for.
Speaker 4: But Ginger, I mean, if you don't agree with this, if you don't like the idea, why not just boycott it and don't send a gift?
Speaker 2: And the kid.
Speaker 6: Now, if I don't give a gift, then I'm going to be known in the group chat as the parent who didn't send a gift to his birthday.
Speaker 3: Are you siou Po's right.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's bad. I think it's worse for your kid.
Speaker 1: Who's the one kid who didn't given was.
Speaker 7: Not going to get invited to the other part.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would be boycotting to ed.
Speaker 3: There's no way.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? Bad mouthed me all you want? That is absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Brook would pick it outside of the home.
Speaker 2: I think she has those signs made even a joke.
Speaker 3: Don't cross this line and put a gift on the front. Poor bring her kids to help her protest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so obviously this is unusual. What made you email us for advice? What are you looking to do with your call here?
Speaker 6: I want to know how to be the bigger person here, you know, I don't want to just complain about it. I mean I would like to speak to the mom and tell her what the other parents are saying about this.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what I mean, what's the message? Though? You're gonna say, Hey, not cool?
Speaker 6: Personally, I'm bothered by it. The more I'm talking about it is you can see I get amped up. So I just kind of mor so need some advice about how to have the conversation.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I love that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think a lot of people would just ignore it and hope it goes away. But that doesn't help in society. Then it just makes it uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't give that as my advice.
Speaker 1: Ignored it and it's possible more conversations are good.
Speaker 4: This is really interesting because I've definitely heard of parents like Brooks said, say, please have your kid come to the party, no presence needed. But this is the total opposite where it's like, bring your presence, no children away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, children, We're gonna.
Speaker 4: Get you some advice here, Ginger, and let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call to figure out what's going on with this kid's birthday party.
Speaker 3: We'll do it right after this. Hold on, it's awkward.
Speaker 6: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 4: It's a genius idea. I can't believe I haven't thought of before. Throw a birthday party without people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't like people very much, Jeff. This actually I could see you.
Speaker 4: Nobody's allowed you just ask for the presence to be delivered right to you.
Speaker 3: Wow, and stay the heck away.
Speaker 5: You should make up like twelve children, one for each month. Jeff an imaginary birthday party every month.
Speaker 4: So smart Joseking the doll.
Speaker 3: And I can't even say it was my idea.
Speaker 4: It's what one mom apparently did because one of our listeners, Ginger, got an invite for her seven year old son to celebrate another kid's birthday. But there's no actual party, no activities at all, just an address for them to drop off presents. Yeah, and Ginger wants to call this other mom and tell her, Hey, this might not be the best look because other parents have been talking about it and not jet.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean she's honestly, you're doing the mom of a solid, but you're helping the mom out by giving her a head zone.
Speaker 4: We just need to give her advice on how to do it politely. So Brooke, what do you have for her?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean you want to remain calm, right, that's like your goal. And for me, whenever I have an awkward mom interaction, I just played dumb.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought she was gonna say XANAX never.
Speaker 1: So you just want to say, hey, I got this invite, but I don't really understand it, you know what I mean, Like, make her explain.
Speaker 2: It to you.
Speaker 1: Maybe when she says it out loud she realizes this sounds bad, right, or or be open. Maybe there's something that we're missing, Maybe there's a logical answer we.
Speaker 8: Don't see yet. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean I feel like you've got to say this out loud to make it make sense, and it doesn't make sense on paper.
Speaker 3: Totally totally Okay, Well, Jose, what do you think. What's your advice? Well, I have the exact same advice. What you need to do when I do best and play dumb.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you call back.
Speaker 5: Aloof and just be like, oh my god, I'm so excited. I'm calling for details at the big birthday party even though you know there's no party.
Speaker 2: You're getting even dumber than I suggest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, you got dumb here.
Speaker 3: I feel like you didn't even read the yeah.
Speaker 5: That was She literally has to tell you and correct you on what's really happening. She's have to tell you not to come, but you'll be listening and you won't get mad.
Speaker 6: Okay, I like it.
Speaker 3: So you think you're not dumb enough, go dumber.
Speaker 2: I also like playing dumb, So three for three.
Speaker 4: Here, you might go full dumb today. Let's dial this other mom here and don't dial.
Speaker 3: It wrong, dummie.
Speaker 2: I am so excited to hear this explanation. Honestly, I know, like, what's the real truth.
Speaker 4: Let's see if she even picks up. I'm dialing her number right now and we'll step away. Let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call, and we'll be ready to jump in if we feel like you need a little help.
Speaker 6: All right, Okay, thank you God.
Speaker 3: You're an idiot. Okay, yeah, in a good way. Yes, here we go, good luck.
Speaker 7: Hello?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 6: Is this Pammy?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: This is is this?
Speaker 6: I'm cute?
Speaker 8: Mom?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 7: How are you? I'm good.
Speaker 6: We got your birthday invite. Oh, I do have a couple of questions for you.
Speaker 7: There really shouldn't be any questions because everything's laid out on the invite there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I got it. But I just need to ask you is this correct? Like there's no actual party, it's just you kind of just want us to send a gift and that's it.
Speaker 8: Yep, that's what it is. I mean it says it on the invitation.
Speaker 9: WHOA, You're welcome to drop it off, I mean, feel free, but you don't even need to ring the door.
Speaker 8: But you can just leave it on the doorstep.
Speaker 7: And I can grab it.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, is there anything else I think that covers it? Yep. I mean, well, I kind of feel like it's important to talk to you about this because, like some of the other parents have mentioned, they've never heard of a party like this before.
Speaker 7: Right, well, this is not a party, this is a celebration. Oh got it. But I mean, and we decided to do a little bit of a more gift forward celebration this year, you.
Speaker 6: Know, I mean, what does that even mean?
Speaker 8: It's really simple, more gifts, less people. It's kind of more fun that way.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, Ginger. Is it because you can't afford a gift? Because if that's the case, it's honestly, it's okay. Just have you on May something or like an ioe you for a gift card? You know they produce me.
Speaker 6: That's no, that's rude.
Speaker 7: We have plenty of money.
Speaker 6: I just think that if there's a bad message to the kids that it's all about gifts and not about the experience of celebrating your friends.
Speaker 7: I mean, honestly, at this age, kids don't even remember the party.
Speaker 8: They just remember the gifts.
Speaker 7: So let's just skip the middleman, right.
Speaker 6: I mean, I just feel like it's really weird to ask for a gift and it's no event, no piece, good party, no nothing. You just want me to send a gift to your house.
Speaker 7: Okay, I kind of see what you're saying.
Speaker 9: So your child doesn't believe in gift giving unless there's something in it for him.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's kind of sad.
Speaker 6: No, it's not about my kid at all. It's the perception about this is not right. You're just asking people for gifts.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 7: I don't really have a lot of time right now, but I'm a little surprised at the reaction you're giving me because none of the other parents have said anything like this.
Speaker 8: Most of them are very supportive.
Speaker 7: It's not that they support you, they're scared of you.
Speaker 6: They don't want their kids to be blackballed from other parties, so they.
Speaker 7: Talk to me.
Speaker 9: Okay, I don't really like how this is going, so listen. If you don't feel like I needs to drop off a gift.
Speaker 7: Just then the less send us cash.
Speaker 9: Hinny, Hello, what's going on?
Speaker 7: Yes, am I on speaker phone or something.
Speaker 4: Well, you're on a lot of speakers all over the country right now, because this is a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you are so classless, Ginger to put mean Luke, you couldn't call me directly, so you called a radio station.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: Hey, that's pitiful.
Speaker 1: The only classless person is the mother who's begging for gifts and not even throwing a party.
Speaker 2: That's honey.
Speaker 7: I don't know your name, but no one's begging for gifts. If she didn't want to send one, she didn't have to. She just called me. I'm telling her her options. She doesn't have to she doesn't want.
Speaker 1: I thought she was going to come with some explanation as to why the birthday party was just gifts, like maybe this kid was sick or maybe like maybe there was something right, maybe there was a guy.
Speaker 7: It's a celebration, not a party.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not a party was the difference. She made it very clear. It's a gift forward celebration. The focus is on the gifts.
Speaker 2: Why do you want that to be your kid's focus. Shouldn't your kids focus be relationships? Like that's what's going to sustain them in life, not stuck.
Speaker 3: I'm Tammy.
Speaker 4: The reason that Ginger has reached out to us is because she's not alone. Apparently a bunch of the other parents and kids at your school are a little bit alarmed by this idea.
Speaker 7: Yes, and guys, I could care less.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, I get your on the defense. We came in hot, but like, honestly, like you got to think of your kid right now.
Speaker 7: This is none of your business. I'm not sure what I'm even doing on this call because she could have had a private conversation. But now all the mothers will know they.
Speaker 2: Are you send out a mass invite for gifts?
Speaker 3: Can I ask a weird question? Is your kid get along with the other children?
Speaker 5: Is that the problem?
Speaker 7: Again, it's none of your business because I have no idea who you are.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, we would like as a show, we would like to send your child the gifts to.
Speaker 3: Adress.
Speaker 2: We'll send over some stuff, oh ginger Brook delivery right.
Speaker 8: Broke, I'm not talking anyone. Goodbye?
Speaker 3: Playing around?
Speaker 2: My god, she's the worst. Why do you even care about upsetting that family? Like you don't want to be You don't want to have that family in your life.
Speaker 6: I just cannot believe she said I like you said. I thought she was going to give us an excuse.
Speaker 2: I thought it was going to be like egg on our face. What jerks are for? Like even jumping to the concressions, donating everything to this something.
Speaker 4: Oh darn So, do you feel like you're still going to send a gift for the birthday?
Speaker 3: You don't want to be rude, You're not really asking that.
Speaker 6: What I got said before, I'm not sending her.
Speaker 3: Really brought out the fire in her. Yeah, okay, Well, keep us updated on what happens with this party. If that kid actually does.
Speaker 4: A party, is a celebration, celebration of this child's birthday?
Speaker 3: Tell us well, discipline
Speaker 2: Freaking Jeffrey in the morning,