Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: For the last few weeks, you might have been hearing about something called q and Non, the biggest thing on the Internet since that time Kim Kardashian's but was thirsty. It has been all over the news, social media, and this weekend, Q and on supporters even held demonstrations in cities across America. But what is QAnon? Well, let's find out in another installment of our ongoing segments. If you don't know, now you know. If you know anything about q andon, you've probably heard that it's a conspiracy theory. But the truth is it's more like a political cult built around a conspiracy theory and then crossed with a big book of word search puzzles. And if that sounds complicated, well wait till you hear what they believe in.
Speaker 3: For believers, Q isn't an anonymous government official who post classified information about a covert battle between the president and a malicious ring of celebrities, political elites, and the so called deep State.
Speaker 4: This anonymous poster Q was giving secret clues about becoming quote Great Awakening.
Speaker 5: The central theme here is that Hillary Clinton and many of the world's other politicians and celebrities are members of a murderous child sex ring.
Speaker 1: Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, Tom Hanks, and others.
Speaker 3: Eight children in order to extract a life extending chemical from their blood group.
Speaker 6: They believe that a group of military generals recruited President Trump to break up this conspiracy and end their control of the government.
Speaker 7: In the media, Donald.
Speaker 4: Trump and the Quanon view is going to save us from this in a moment called the Storm. His tweets are misspelled for a reason. When he does cafe, hey is the smocking gun, It's all code for what he's telling us.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want whatever. These people are smocking because Trump's typos are a secret message. Man, I wish people were this forgiving when I did stupid shit. No, you guys don't get it. When Trevor threw up at that party, he was showing us it's what's on the inside that counts. But look, this guy's also not wrong. President Trump's tweets are misspelled for a reason, and that reason is he can't read. Now. Look, if Hillary and Oprah were eating children to live longer, I would be horrified because that is such a waste of magic blood. You feed those kids to Ruth bite at Ginsburg people priorities. But there's no ways this conspiracy theory is actually true. And look, I believe a lot of crazy shit.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 2: I believe the TSA confiscates all our lotion in order to secretly sell it back to us at Walgreen. I believe possums are just dogs without makeup. I believe no one has actually ever broken up with me. They've just all been abducted by aliens. But this conspiracy theory is crazy, even for conspiracy. I mean, set aside everything else you're telling me. Trump is doing something heroic, but instead of taking credit for it, he's keeping it a secret. That is the most unbelievable thing I have ever heard. Plus, if you're wondering how it's possible that Trump can be leading the fights against the pedophile ring when he was friends with Jeffrey Epstein for year as well, according to Q, Trump has been undercover since the nineties, which I believe. I mean, if there's one thing Trump is known for, it's his famously long attention span. So how did this insane theory take off? Well, partly it latched onto fears about the real phenomenon of human trafficking. Partly it fed off ancient anti Semitic tropes about elitists who drink the blood of children, but mostly it was just the good old Internet.
Speaker 8: Q Andon first emerged in the months after President Trump took office, starting on fringe Internet message boards before spreading to social media.
Speaker 9: That the pandemic has only made things worse and so these people are just there all day. Faceook group's have grown exponentially with q and on.
Speaker 3: In just four months, membership of the biggest public q andon groups rose by seven hundred percent.
Speaker 10: We saw a lot of groups who were wellness communities, people who are interested in alternative health. People would the algorithm would sort these people together with the QAnon people. They would say, oh, alternative health, maybe they're into anti vacs. If they're anti vacs, maybe they're into Donald Trump, And within one or two clicks, people would go down these.
Speaker 8: Very bad paths.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's how the shit always goes on the Internet. It feels like at this point the entire purpose of Facebook is to funnel everyone towards the craziest conspiracy theories possible, because people will join a group about cycling and then five hours later they're like Hillarriy Clinton is a mountain go people. She's an actual go And it's not surprising that the pandemic turned out to create the perfect conditions for people to get radicalized. Some people join q and on, some people order pelotons, and neither of them will shut up about It shows you how much the incident is ruining our brains. When Shakespeare was quarantined during the plague, he was like, maybe I should write King Lear and how people are sitting around during coronavirus going. I wonder if I could prove that Tom Hanks has sex with the devil either way. Starting from the swampiest parts of the incidents, QAnon gradually picked up followers and eventually grew into a major online movement, and it hasn't seemed to matter that many of the things it predicted over the years just never came true.
Speaker 5: Early on, they were claiming that Robert Mueller was secretly investigating and on to indict the cabal of the Democratic leaders, and that President Trump was secretly working with Mother's team. President Trump is secretly created a police force by the way to arrest them and force them to wear ankle bracelets.
Speaker 4: The belief is that somehow the late JFK. Junior is alive and helping Trump clean up the deep state.
Speaker 9: Nearly all of these clues, including that Hillary Clinton was arrested, turn out to be wrong, but the batting average doesn't seem to matter.
Speaker 11: Present them with evidence, you can demonstrate how the predictions have gone wrong, and they don't seem to care. It's just again and again that Q is bigger than anything that they can be presented to the contrary.
Speaker 2: That's right. It doesn't matter how many of q's outlandish predictions failed to pan out. It never seems to have an impact on the movement. And that, my friends, is the classic sign of cult behavior. Once you're invested enough in something, you will make any excuse for its failures. So please don't be looking for logic here. That's not how cults work. Okay, Cults don't follow logic. They follow whatever the cult tells them. That's why you always see cult leaders go so quickly from the Sacred Aliens have chosen us to weird news. Guys. The Sacred Aliens told me I should bang all of your wives. I guess it must be for our redemption or something to go somewhere.
Speaker 10: I pick her.
Speaker 2: So thanks to this religious fervor, QAnon took over the Internet, and it would have been fairly harmless if it had just stayed on the incents, you know, like Momo. That thing was a joke.
Speaker 1: It was that was weird.
Speaker 2: But the scary thing about QAnon is what happened when it jumped from the screen to the streets.
Speaker 7: This is not just a bunch of online crazy talk. It's dangerous in real life.
Speaker 4: The FBI says QAnon and their many conspiracy theories are a potential domestic terrorism threat. The North Carolina man who shot up this DC pizza restaurant looking for non existent pedophiles believed in similar theories.
Speaker 6: On more than one occasion, people believe to be followers of q andon have shown up, sometimes with weapons, in places that the character told them were somehow connected to anti Trump conspiracies. And June, a man armed with a rifle and a handgun drove an armored vehicle to the Hoover Dam on what he said was a mission from QAnon. Cunon followers have allegedly been involved in a foiled presidential assassination plot, the devastating California wildfire, and an armed standoff local law enforcement officers in Arizona.
Speaker 3: In July, a twenty four year old man was charged in the shooting death of a reputed mob boss. His attorneys argued he was motivated by QAnon. Written on his hand in the courtroom were QAnon symbols.
Speaker 2: You cannot be serious. Can you imagine being a mob boss and you get whacked by a kid from a message board, not a rival, just some random kid. You'd almost want them to lie in your obituary and say you were a snitch. But this is insane QAnon. People are out in the world doing real things, shootings, hijackings, kidnappings. Of all the bad advice I've gotten on the internet, nothing ever came close to making me murder a mob boss. The worst advice I ever got was to use toothpaste to get rid of pimples. But I ate the entire two of toothpaste and all, like God was a tummy. Eight pimples didn't go anywhere. And even with sporadic real world violence, it might be tempting to dismiss QAnon as just another lunatic fringe, but it's actually becoming pretty close to mainstream. In fact, there are roughly fifty q supporters who ran for office in the Republican Party this year, and it's almost certain that one of them is actually going to be in Congress next year. Although maybe that's a good thing, nothing will prevent them from getting anything done better than being in Congress. Congress the only people with a lower approval rating than QAnon. And then, of course there's President Trump. He's the big hero in all these q andon stories, so he could just shut this down quickly by saying, guys, none.
Speaker 7: Of this is true.
Speaker 2: Q isn't a real person. And besides, if there was a sex group with all the most important people in the world, you know, I'd try to be in it. Yeah, that's what he could do. But instead he has come out and declared that q Andon are some very fine people.
Speaker 1: At President Trump's rally in Tampa, the image was hard to miss the letter Q on signs and T shirts we are finally.
Speaker 8: Putting America first.
Speaker 2: The Trump campaign even included q and on signs in an act.
Speaker 9: President Trump has used his own social media accounts to promote q and On followers and content nearly two hundred times.
Speaker 3: President Trump praising supporters of the bizarre QAnon.
Speaker 7: At conspiracy theory. He told reporters he.
Speaker 3: Heard that QAnon followers are people who love the country and him.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know much about the movement other than I understand they like me very much, uh, which I appreciate. But I don't know much about the movement. I have heard that it is gaining in popularity, and these are people that love our country and they just don't like seeing it. Well, the cross of.
Speaker 1: The theory is this belief that you are secretly saving the world from this satanic cult of pedophiles and cannibals.
Speaker 4: If I can help save the world from problems, I'm willing to do it.
Speaker 8: I'm willing to put myself out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You see, it doesn't matter that QAnon is a dangerous cult and all of their beliefs of complete fiction. President Trump is on board. Trump's approach to QAnon is basically the same as that Backstreet Boys song. He doesn't care who you are, where you're from, what you did, as long as you love and honestly people. Nobody should be surprised that Donald Trump is embracing QAnon. It Donald Trump was always going to embrace QAnon.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 2: The surprise is that he's president. So that's QAnon in a nutshell. It's a violent delusion that spread from the Internet to pray on vulnerable people and infect an entire political party. Or maybe I'm just saying that to throw you off the real story. And if you don't know, now you.
Speaker 1: Know online conspiracies there the second most search thing on the Internet after Joseph Gordon Levi at dancing talk about a triple threat, Mama Mia. But recently, more insidious theories like Pizzagate, five G COVID towers and QAnon have climbed out of the dark corners of the Internet to cause real world violence, influence elections, and splinter democracy.
Speaker 7: MoMA Mia.
Speaker 1: But how do people get sucked into these extreme online cults? I infiltrated the dark web via something called Gmail to find someone who had escaped these pernicious groups. But if she was going to trust me, I'd have to start off.
Speaker 7: Nice and easy. Give me your name. How did you find QAnon? Who is Q is?
Speaker 8: Qu My name is Linka pern I'm not Q. I don't know who Q is. But I'm a mom of three and I'm a risk manager for an insurance company.
Speaker 1: Okay, mom, risk manager. That seems relatively normal. How did you get involved in these conspiracy communities?
Speaker 8: I didn't join them, They kind of found me. Just sort of how.
Speaker 7: This works, right, right right?
Speaker 1: You're a Trump super fan, constantly posting about rigged elections. JFK Junior, still being alive, always looking for Trump clues for the impending storm.
Speaker 8: Not at all. I was a Bernie Sanders delegate and supporter, and I found myself getting pulled into conspiracies in late twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, according to every news outlet, you're supposed to be a Trump fanatic.
Speaker 7: You said you're a Bernie supporter.
Speaker 8: Absolutely still am. I even voted for Joe Biden.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm just going to need a minute.
Speaker 1: I guess conspiracy theories are one of the few things that are bipartisan, and Facebook conspiracy groups have millions of members. So how did a working class Bernie mom get swept up in all this? It started with the conspiracies following the wikileak DNC emails.
Speaker 8: So when we opened up the wikileak emails, what we essentially were reading was pushing Hillary Clinton across the finish line and undermining Bernie Sanders, and we were devastated, and so we started, you know, we were in the question of if they can do that to us, what else are they capable of? And incomes the conspiracy generators who are saying, well, let us show you what else they're capable of.
Speaker 1: I want you to walk me through some of these conspiracy theories.
Speaker 8: Okay, So the conspiracies were around the indictments of Democratic politicians. They see the Democratic Party as baby killers. You add conspiracies about the COVID vaccine actually have microchips in them. You've got the Wayfair furniture conspiracy that they were sex trafficking children by taping them up and hiding them in big cabinets and so forth.
Speaker 1: So they're saying that Wayfair was hiding children and their furniture.
Speaker 8: Yes they are, and yes they were.
Speaker 7: Thank god that theory is not true. I cannot afford another kid.
Speaker 1: With all these sensational narratives, people just got hooked. So how is LINCA able to escape?
Speaker 8: It started to feel more more cult like and if you dared to question the narrative, like I did, it very quickly became like a very kind of bullyish kind of playground to be in, where critical thinking and questioning wasn't welcomed.
Speaker 1: It's like showing up to an orgy and being like, let's talk about the weather, and everyone else is like, no, we're going to.
Speaker 8: It's very similar to having a loved one who has some kind of addiction or gets roped into some kind of extremist cult. All they wanted to talk about was the conspiracies.
Speaker 7: So that's when you decided to leave.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's when I exited, and I've been watching everything really grow and evolve since then.
Speaker 7: Linko was lucky enough to get out.
Speaker 1: But how are these groups able to spread so quickly to begin with? Are you finding that things are a little more clickbait like some of these theories or a bit click baity?
Speaker 8: Oh, there is absolutely a method. They spook as suggesting that you join this group or that because you might have something in common with them, And before you know it, you haven't fed your kids and you're calling somebody to say, can you believe it's happening at three in the morning. You're excited about what they're seeing is going to happen tomorrow.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me you'd spend all days scrolling through Pizzagate stories and it's because of social media.
Speaker 8: Algorithms exactly, and our news feeds create our realities. The algorithms are set up to send you, you know, dozens of YouTube and graphics and Facebook selections, and it's a multi billion dollar industry.
Speaker 1: Now, turns out big tech companies don't love microchips and mind control, They just love money. Why are social media fed conspiracies attracting people from both sides of the political spectrum. It's not like disenfranchised Americans are finding themselves powerless to a corporate ruling class, right right exactly.
Speaker 8: People feel economically insecure, and conspiracies have become a great outlet that makes people feel empowered.
Speaker 1: So to decrease the online conspiracy world, all we have to do is give power back to the people and break up big tech monopolies that control our news speeds.
Speaker 7: Oh Mama Mia.
Speaker 4: Explore more shows from.
Speaker 2: The Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 10: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcastow