Speaker 1: And he swings high, understand deep, just senter feel, and it's gone, Wow.
Speaker 2: His first big league swing is gonna be.
Speaker 1: A grand slam, a home line swing.
Speaker 3: Good time to look to them soup Part two of the MLB Draft recap. Here on the call up, you got rum lighton Tyler Jennings. We've got fifteen more teams to break down and just kind of highlight the draft classes. But before we get into that, we have a little bit of a surprise. I wish it came through before we recap the Guardian's draft class, because this does alter their draft class quite a bit. But at least we have you God, we made this a two partner. Now, now we can follow up and talk about it before we jump into the Miami Marlins and the subsequent fourteen other teams. Tyler kind of surprising, Logan Schmidt ends up, then I'm not gonna sign. I'm most likely going to LSU, maybe Duco. We'll talk about that. But forty fifth overall selection was prepared to probably get a pretty big overslat you know, bonus there for the Guardians to then get another high impact arm left hander out of California prep ranks. How surprised are you that Schmidt didn't sign, and you know, how much does this alter the class?
Speaker 2: It definitely alters Cleveland's class in general a little bit, because obviously they were really banking on getting this type of arm into their system and it was a great fit personally, Like kind of just looking at how Cleveland's been able to turn some of these like softer tossing lefties into like legitimate big league talents like Parker Messik for example, give you like more of a recent example like he's he's turned into an absolute stud for the Guardians. But you know, it's it's interesting. I think Schmidt, from what I've seen or what I've heard, is like there wasn't necessarily an agreement beforehand, and it just seems like Schmid's number was a bit too high, and Cleveland doesn't necessarily have an insurance you know, policy in place later in the draft. Most of their you know, back end draft picks after date, like the stereotypical day three. You know, they're all college guys. They've all signed, so there's not really anywhere this money can go right now. But you know, with Schmidt, it's either LSU or maybe you go JUCO route, you know, there's a I believe it's Golden West College out there in Huntington Beach. Is a is a close option for him if he wants to go back in and try and like keep his stock up for next year's draft class. Obviously, but it's it's definitely an interesting scenario to kind of look at it from from both perspectives. You know, team obviously losing their chance to sign this kid who they took in second round and obviously viewed them highly enough to do so, and also just from you know, logan standpoint of like, hey, I can go to to LSU, get a bad and with an IL and also you know, carve out my role for Jay Johnson's club on a team that looks, you know, arguably better than what it was a year ago for LSU, or go to Juco and try your best to up that stock for next year's drafts. You still be really young, and he just turned eighteen a couple of weeks ago, So it's gonna be very interesting to see what happens with Schmid's route. And you know, I'm not gonna sit here and make fun of the kid. I genuinely hope that he chooses what's best for him, and then he succeeds at every stop at the next level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Schmid's far from the first, won't be the last, most likely either, and hopefully it all works out for him. But for the Guardian's draft class, it was a gamble when he didn't have the agreement in place, and a lot of times it still works out you figure it out. In this case, it just doesn't for the guard Still a lot of talent in the draft class, I think, even more now reason that you're looking at, like saveing on Simms and hoping he can reach his upside there and some of the you know, higher upside prep arms that they brought into the fold here. But we're gonna go into the next fifteen teams now, which starts with the Miami Marlins. They had a local kid that was expected to go a good bit higher, and Jacob Lombard kind of fall into their lap there, made it a no brainer selection for them, despite you know, some of the concerns that might come with the hit tool and why he maybe fell. So we'll talk about that and then some other interesting picks behind him, you know, the Marlins. I think the last couple of drafts I don't think there's been a clear cut identity in terms of the way that they like to approach these drafts yet since Frankie Hilari's taken over. I think it's just the best player available that they feel like they see. But last year they did go very college heavy. The year before they didn't, so he I asked the Marlins about it. Last year, they were just kind of like, this is just how the board fell to us, but it was a crazy amount of college. This year they go high school off the top, and then you know, I think it was still college heavy ish, but they still mixed in more high school than last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even think they had a high schooler in last year's class, Like could be mistaken on that. I think they just went all all college. But you know, you get Lombard. You know, he was view as a to some as a top five talent. I had him just outside the top five personally, just because the hit tool was just so shaky and I couldn't get a good read on it. But the tools are outstanding. So to get him at that range and also to sign them underslot too, is pretty impressive. So I think if you're Miami, you take that as a win, and you definitely look at ways to try and fix the swing, fix the batpath, and get the most out of the hit tool. You know, their butt lines are there. His dad's a major league coach, obviously big leaguer, and then obviously his brother with the Yankees now in Triple A and could be on his way to a big league call up here soon. So there's a lot to like here with Lombard. But obviously just got to work on that hit tool. But even after that, they went after some pretty, you know, intriguing college arms and some college bats like Ethan Kleinschmidt and Ryan Peterson in the second round. You know, both of them have really good heaters. Peterson gets like seven feet of extension with a good hammer curveball with high spin, and Kleinschmid's your stereotypical like pitchability left by who there's a lot to really work in. His favorite He came from the Juco route, like we had talked about before, went to Lynn Benton, went to Oregon State, pitched in the College World Series, and had a good year this year for the Beavers. So there's there's a good amount of outside I loved him when he pitched at USA collegiate national team a year ago during training camp. I think it was for shoutout innings and just put everything wherever you want, So I think it might be a plus command guy at the end of the day. But you know, going past that, you've got guys like Trey Beard, Kim Kolzel, Eric Guavara from Auburn, who I think is a really solid bat. You also get into some other guys like Nick Tolbert, Zach Peters, Colt selvic all these guys that could be I would say Peters and Selvig are more reliever type, but they have some upside and field spin and also some intriguing fastball traits. But they did They did acquire some more high school talent here, like Wesley Robertson in the fourth round as a really really solid at the order guy with good speed, good center field traits, signed over slot. Obviously, cannot forget about Rentaro Sasaki as well. That's another big storyline in this draft class, where he signed with the Marlins. He's not going back to Japan, you know, where he was a first round pick. He gets selected in the eighth round, gets two hundred and ten thousand and maybe some extra change outside of that. But again, Nick Tolbert, you look at Baine Barker and there's some intriguing guys even probably down the board like Joey lost in their twenty eight rounders signed. So it's an intriguing class. Definitely has a going after some traits with some pitchers you know obviously, like for example, Tyler Kappa for Virginia has a really really good fastball that sits in the mid nineties and nobody was able to touch it this year. So he's a guy that really, you know, gets my attention to, like Colin Linder Porter Bursmas. So it's an intriguing class with some good traits and I wouldn't be shot there. There's some fast risers in this in this class for the.
Speaker 3: Marlins, going back to Lumbar quickly is just you know, it's one thing from the fall. Sometimes when you see guys fall like this, typically you got to go overslot a little bit right, and there's still a price tag to meet. How do you think the Marlins were able to sign him for four hundred and forty thousand dollars underslot when he was expected to go maybe anywhere from seven to nine picks earlier, and I just I like, was he slipping that much? Like if the Marlins didn't pick him, was there concern that he could slip to the back end of the first round? Like that's what the bonus implies to me. I'm just trying to understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it feels like. I don't have like a solidified answer on this, but it just feels like that there was a way that there was a larger slide than what he had. And I think another thing that plays a role in this too is obviously he's a Miami kid. You know, go Over prep schools is in the Miami metro. I wouldn't be shocked to just like a little bit of a discount here. Yeah, but yeah, I think it's I think it's a role of Beth where the slide was occurring. Maybe they were prepared for that scenario, considering the fact that all these teams were looking for for hit tool first guys, and then also just the fact that this is this is his area and this is a he's I'm pretty sure he's born and raised here. I could be mistaken, but yeah, know this this is his home, and.
Speaker 3: I wonder if it's just a state tax coming to effect with the signing bonuses. I don't know, but that they could it could start to make up a little bit of the gap there. But regardless, makes a lot of sense. And you know, why why haggle over a couple hundred thousand dollars in risk falling further when you could, you know, stay home and you have a pretty good opportunity here in a system where if he's playing the way that he's capable of playing, and I don't think there's gonna be too too many guys in his way. And I think the fun idea for the Marlins is potentially being able to have, you know, at that a certain point r Quette and Lombard on the left side of the infield in years to come. So it'll be fun to see how that all shakes out. You go to one of the best drafting organizations in in baseball and we go to the Milwaukee Brewers. They take another evil with their first pick, and I mean the first one that they took a couple of year last year. And Brady Eagle's going well now, he's really starting to settle in at the big league level. Trey now and exciting got to bring the fold. They saved a million bucks with that pick as well, almost and then you know, one of the maybe steals of the draft potentially with their second pick. And s stro Snyder, who I know you had as a first round talent. For me, thought like, no doubt when you watch the guy play that eagle took a first round talent somehow slips to the second round. I'll start with him, and then you know, I'll let you highlight the rest of the class. Did they buy stro Snyder down once he started to slip because he gets two point one million dollars. The slot value for his selection of sixty six overall was one point three to five.
Speaker 2: Was there a.
Speaker 3: Situation where he slips a little bit they pick up the phone and say, hey, you're willing to slip a little bit more and we'll pay you for where you probably should have got picked.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In like, I'll even put it out there, like I had stras Schnyder as a fringe top ten prospect in this class. Like I truly believed in the power and the ability to play center field. So to see him follow this far, I kind of did her a little bit. But the same token, Like, like you said, he probably just got a call. I know, for example, like we'll go to last year the Phillies, I believe had an arm that I had viewed hide in like the second round and basically took him in the seventh and like, hey, he wants to pitch for you guys, and we'll do that. I don't know if that's the ZAC scenario here, but with straw Snider, like you're getting this a guy that has some questionable swing decisions. Uh, the contact schools are not great, but the same token, it's ridiculous power from the left side. Great athlete can play center field if you really project him as much. So I think for for Milwaukee, getting that kind of talent at that slot is you know, pretty impressive. And you know, the only signing for two point one mil is like it saves money for the rest of the draft. When you look at guys like Julian Garcia, obviously they didn't get in and cannot designed today, which is a bit of a surprise, you know, being taken the fifth, but he's going back to Clemson for a senior year. But then you get guys like they went after a few intriguing like high school guys outside of that too, like Grant Hill killing Tom and look at farther down as well, like Carson Hart Dante Bell. So this is something that the Brewers do year in and year out, is kind of stock up on these guys later in the draft and if they can't sign someone, they'll pivot to those arms like later in the draft. I think Chase Bentley was an example from a couple years ago, if not last year. So it's something that the Brewers do year in and year out, and it's it's unique and they just seem to hit every single time.
Speaker 3: And with with Ebel, you know, Pipeline, I think had him at one oh seven. You had him at seventy two, so a lot closer to you know, the pick that he ends up going, obviously being a first rounder, but he gets two point eight million dollars, which was roughly gonna be about the thirty fifth pick value with straw Snyder, I believe it was roughly like the forty sixth pick value, forty seventh pick value. So it's interesting how they navigated those top two guys. Easy to like that, especially within the bloodlines and just the Evil family, like the baseball family to a t I imagine they got a fair amount of looks at Trey and feel good about what they've got there. It probably hurts a little bit to not land that fifth round arm and kannact, and I'm sure there's a lot of things that they liked about him. Acknowledging that, you know, they get the one point five million dollar signing there with Julian Garcia out of Saint John Bosco High School in California, triple the slot value almost there is that kind of the big ticket grab outside of the first two picks in this class. Is there anybody else that really stands out to you that's going to be that classic like the Brewers did it again in this class.
Speaker 2: It's really just going to be Julie Garcia. And you know, Garcia had TJ. I think he came back from TJ last summer, so his first real look was area coach a year ago, and he performed well. I thought it was a pretty solid arm. But then he came out the spring, was throwing harder, obviously, had a really good curve ball in a good change with go with it, and he performed well. When you pitch it inag aside this year. So to be able to see that kind of arm kind of like turn into what he is now was pretty impressive. So I see why the Brewers love him. This is a guy that, you know, if he doesn't start at minimum, he's a really solid relief arm. So we'll see what happens with Garcia. But that's the big ticket here, the remainder of the class. And if they get guys like uh, Brandon Havard, Carson Hart, Dante Bell to sign, I think that's another big win for the Brewers and getting these like talented under the radar high school guys to sign, and then they kind of craft him into these I don't want to say, like big time prospects, but they turned into respectable ones like Bishop Letson a couple of years ago exactly you know, Levin Frownder And now he's you know, he's carving up. I believe he's in HYA now or he wasn't low A but easy to higher up.
Speaker 3: Now he's making his way up. He's in the upper levels now, so he is. Yeah, he's on the ie out, which is the biggest question with Let's and always but Letson's up to double A now and it is. It was looking really sharp up until Hitt in the IL. Yeah, like that's a perfect example. They find guys at Phil Roles at the very least like when you when you when when I'm writing up a report on them a year or two from being drafted, I'm like, well, this guy could at least be a solid setup guy, or this guy could be a good utility guy. And those are the guys that they're taking in the seventh, eighth, ninth round or later than that, which is so impressive. We go to the next class, which is the twins fourth biggest bonus pool to work with. Third overall pick, you go get von Lackey. Hard That might have been the easiest pick of the draft. If you're picking third in this class, it must have been the easiest because it's just you just wait to see who lands in your lap of the I think very obvious top three guys there, and as expected, you know, they get Lackey. Easy to love Lackey. We've talked a lot about him obviously, what he's done. The athleticism is a catcher. The the improvements offensively, it really is kind of this well routed game. The makeup you could just dream on a franchise Cornerstone Catcher here. But the fun part with this class is that the subsequent three picks all got well north of a million dollars. Carson Tenny gets one point nine Brett Renfro gets one point one four and Ethan Washman gets two point twenty five million dollars. And then they spray the board still later too, I mean some non you know, negligible signing bonuses being delved out. That's what you can do when you've got you know, roughly seventeen million dollars to work with. What stands out the most to you about this Twins class.
Speaker 2: Very pitching heavy. I think that's the really the mo here. Like after taking Lackey and Tenny, you go after you mentioned Renfri and Watson, but also Tommy Lapour, Steel Murdoch, Ethan Leigh Bayless, Thomas Burns, jt. Rad. Here's a lot of arms in this class that have some upside to him, but they're also like, okay, you look at the poor had an injury this year, didn't pitch all that well, but still, you know, three quarters of a million dollars essentially. But then they started going after these guys that they have upside, but they're definitive relievers at the next level like Steve Murdoch, Bayle's and burns Are. You know, these these are guys that are two pitch guys, don't really have a ton of starting up sides. Then you have a guy like Ethan Leigh from Sacramento State who has a really really good slider, also a senior, saves him a ton of money in the sixth round. So they they went after these guys that have these these traits that they really do go after so to get them, it's pretty impressive and to save money and also get a guy like Watsman who you know watching him at Area Codes a year ago ninety ninety four at the fastball actually played, but the the command wasn't really there. He kind of had struggles with the secondary feel a little bit, so it wasn't his greatest outing. But then he comes out and starts throwing you know, ninety six ninety nine hits a hondo and yes it's Colorado, but like you're hitting one hundred as a high schooler, Like that's gonna grab your attention no matter what as a scout. So and he continued doing that, going to the combine had a great combine. I know people kind of made fun of the fact that he threw a ball at like one hundred, but also like scouts have seen this guy throw strikes all spring. I don't think that necessarily matters. But you know, this is again just like a very solid, very Twins draft class. And I think when you look at like as well taking two catchers that I was going to ask round that was two.
Speaker 3: College catchers, what do you make of falling up like, you know, the blue chip Lackey with another college catcher.
Speaker 2: My thing with Tenny is I'm not sure he is going to be a catcher at the end of the day, which I think that's what they they understood when they took him, is this is obviously a Tenny has a fantastic arm. He's a it's a seventy great arm from the backstop. The only problem is he's six four two forty. He's pretty big for a backstop. He's not very mobile. Does he stick there long term? I don't know. At this point. Do I think he's a first baseman. Probably so, I think that's where he ends up. But it's it's a ton of power. Some Hitte questions. I think they took him understanding that he's not going to be a catcher long term, and I think if you're a Twins fan, you're kind of fine with that because they win after a big, powerful kid with upside who is not going to block Von Lackey whatsoever. The next level. Now, I could be very wrong on that. There's a non zero chance that Tenny stays as a backstop and maybe Von Lackey moves elsewhere because he's so afflick he can play multiple positions. If that happens, you know, hey, that's just the Twins getting creative and understanding what's going on. So we'll see what happens. But as of right now, I think the Tenny does move off of the backstop, it can becomes like a first basement.
Speaker 3: Well when we see the value in today's game a lot too guys that can just go back there one two days a week, get Lackey out of the crouch, and then Tenny's a If he's a first base master, I think they're happy with that. And it's also if it's a power bat they believe in. They saved four hundred thousand dollars with that selection as well. Afford them to go, you know, one point two million over for Washman, you know, over for a couple other guys as well. So again, really interesting draft class here with the twins and a lot of talent, very pitching heavy as you alluded to. We're gonna go to the Mets, which are an interesting class that I know you'll have some thoughts on. But before that, our first break before we jump back in, just a reminder we are ripping tops, Chrome on whatnot. It's been really fun through the first week on. There also some Bowman Draft twenty five Bowman Draft this week, so if you're new to the platform, click the link in our episode description and you'll get a free twenty five dollars in to our store to be able to jump into any break. Are gonna be hopping in there probably after the National going out to the National Sports Card Convention this week, which will be a lot of fun, but you know, answering prospect questions, hanging out while we're ripping, so be sure to follow the store. We're every weeknight we're ripping right now, and some weekends I think either Sunday Orday nights, but every Friday or every weeknight, so be sure to follow our store in the link description with the link in the episode description, Mets are next. They go Carson Wiggins and number one brother of Jackson Wiggins, Lively Arm also for product of Arkansas, and then some other interesting picks Aiden Robbins and outfielder, and then a lot more pictures of a runoff after that. What do you make of the Mets class? I think you've had more time to digest it and also have been able to see, like who gets signed, the bonuses, all those different things, because as of now, it looks like they signed everybody except for the insurance pick, which was Marcus Ward in the eighteenth round. What are your thoughts now that you've had some more time to digest this Mets class?
Speaker 2: Yeah, at first, I really struggled with the idea of making Carson Wiggins your headliner in this class with such a small bonus pool, because the Mets, you know, they went over to luxury tax. They've dropped ten spots, the.
Speaker 3: Smallest by the way, at six point seven million, ahead of only the Jays and the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it at first I struggled with the idea of, like, hey, Carson Wiggins, he's thrown fourteen innings in college. Had I think it was internal brace could have came back at the end of the year this year, but they played it safe. He didn't pitch, but he showed out the combine and you look at you obviously mentioned he's Jackson Wiggins brother the Wiggins has turned himself into a quality arm in the CUB system. I think there's definitely more to unlock here with Carson Wiggins. Obviously. I think he's more of like a potential closer than he is a starter. He's never had the command even as a as a high schooler. Like watching him at the delivery was sound, very easy, v low, but he was kind of spraying everything. I remember watching at PDP a couple of times where you know, one inning he was dotting everything. He was up to ninety eight, looked fantastic, had a good splitter, good slider, and then the next outing he just couldn't find his own. But you know, again, this is a lot of projecting out what he could be. And I think the Mets are making this pick knowing they're comfortable with taking the risk, and that's something they kind of look for. They're they're fine with taking up the middle guys as well, which is something that they kind of went after later on, Like Aidian Robins play center field for Texas this year. Khio Lloyd could be a corner guy obviously. Jacob Madrid, who was the thirteenth rounder, got signed for one ninety seven five, and you know that's a catcher you kind of taken run with Ryan Taman as well. But you know, looking outside of that, like this is a lot of pitching, and the Mets know what they're they're looking for with pitching. They have a they go for these low slot guys that have some some approach angle trace that they do enjoy. So like Shane Sedeo is kind of a low thought left heat obviously we ignore the seven point o era he had in college this year, like we've we've seen guys like Brian wu for example, which is like the biggest one of like he has this terrible aray in college and now he could be an All star or he is an All Star rather does today will become that, I'm not certain, but it's a guy with field to spin, has a good cutter, has a good fastball. Look commediately the same way. Alec Petrovich pretty solid Auburn arm. Honestly, he took the Sunday roll and did a very good job in that role. Found more Velo has a really really good change up in Keenan Logan Koenig could be a starter. Nate Eisler from Dart Lift is an intriguing one in the tenth round. Then you go far down the board like a j cradles that crops felt Gavin Gidrey, Cooper Dawcet like this is this is usually what the Mets do is they go after these arms that that had these traits and they know how to really find to him and work with them. So we'll see what happens. Do I still think that Wiggins as the number one guy is like, you know, this is something I would do, know, But at the same time, I'm here, I'm not in the front and I'm not in the front office right now, so you know, I can't really say much to that, but you know, Wiggins the arm town is definitely there. I think getting Robinson the third rounds fantastic value. Signing for a mill as well is very solid too. In the bat's goin to play, it's just a matter of how much can you hit we'll find out well.
Speaker 3: And that's the interesting thing with the Mets Classic. At the end of the day, hands are pretty tied. When you've got you're one of three teams sub seven million to work with, and it seems like they went for after the top of the draft. They went for just a lot of six figure arms and like you said, unique traits, and if you can turn a handful of those guys into big league relievers when your bonus pool is this limited, you're probably gonna be happy with that. You're always hoping, you know, you have a breakout that you get a little bit more than that from, and they've got a lot of different guys that they can hope with that on top of the fact that they've got a really talented arm at the top and Wiggins and as you mentioned, Sanal, a guy that is obviously much more talented than the numbers would imply. We head over to the next team, which is still in New York's we're going alphabetical by city. We go to the Yankees, who didn't have a whole lot more to spend. They were the fourth lowest slot our bonus pool at seven point three million. To their fortune, they actually got to pick, you know, didn't have to wait an entire another round, so they were able to pick in the second round and so made it a little bit easier for them, but still very limited in terms of the bonus pool. And I mean the Yankees didn't really look to save too much money with their first two picks either. They go almost about three hundred thousand shive of the full slot with their first perk with hundred Deats, and then they go a million overslot with their second pick in Sean Duncan, So they really tied their hands kind of the rest of the way. But I think it says a lot about how much they like their you know, one in two guys here out of the draft in Deats and Duncan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to even touch on Ducan too, I think that's a great fit for the Yankees. Didn't have the necessarily the grades feel for spin, but this is a guy that again low slot, good extension, very athletic and talking to him too. We interviewed him just before he had the injury back in May, and as nice as can be. I had a lot of fun doing an interview with him. So Sean Duckcan's definitely from a favorite of mine. I thought he was a potential first rounder had the injury not occurred, So to get him in the second's great value and then looking at it too, like hundred deeps depending on who you talk to, had him in the first round as a as a back end guy. He has some of the best breaking balls in the class, but obviously again track record, he never really pitched before this year. But at the same token, he was healthy this year. He before him very well and the field of spin it is just fantastic, having mid nineties fastball to go with it too, So there's a lot of stuff to work on with Deets. But this is a guy I've liked for a couple of years, even with the injuries, but even after that. Like Brendan Brock in the third rounds of very solid get. He's a guy that he was drafted by the Brewers year ago out of Juco Ghost, Oklahoma, is part of that team that wins the World Series. Very typical catcher. He's very quick and I think he might be a corner outfielder, but like seventy great speed, knows how to use it. There's power in the stick. There's a lot to like with that that kind of profile. And then even after that, like you go for Paul Gudier's Contrarius from cal State Fullerton, Bayar Harrison from a and m Michael Harpster, who was an analytical darling from East Tennessee State, you get Andy Pettitt's son and Luke as a two way player out of that. Out of that was about this and I think the more intriguing signing beyond you know, those guys Andrew Gonzalez in the six. He was kind of like a sleeper pick that didn't really show up until after the combine, but big powerful third basement from from Texas High School ranks didn't sign for really a ton overslot, but a lot of bad speed, a lot of power potential. I think there's a there's something to like there with Gonzales, and we'll see what happens with that. But you know, I think that the Yankees did very good with what they had to get. Again, Sean Duncan Hunter Deep's two premium lefties with your first two picks and then kind of sprinkle in these powerful guys that that have upside. You know, this is this is a pretty solid crew for for Damon Oppenheimer. In the Yankees.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, I've kind of learned to I know they haven't hit on all of them, but when it comes to the Yankees top five round arms, for the most part, they put them in that pitching program, like they don't debut as quickly as a lot of these other arms, even collegiate guys. They kind of put them behind the scenes, plug them into the lab, make some adjustments, and these guys almost always come out, if not thrown harder with sharper stuff. I think we've we've pretty consistently seen that over the last few years with some of these Yankees arms, and Sean Duncan's one. I'm just excited to see more of them. Also all in on the Canadians over the last couple of years here now to the draft. It seems like that used to be like an under scouted area where you could find some value and now it's like everyone's tapping into the Canada pipeline. And I don't blame them with a lot of the players that we've seen coming out of there of late, one other like who's the one guy you circle out to get at Deets and Duncan pretty straightforward that those are the two top dogs in this class by a good bit. Who's the next guy that could kind of, you know, define this draft class?
Speaker 2: Hmm, I would say probably Brock If not, you look at a guy like Bear Harrison. They didn't really go after a ton of like high school guys, So you look at guys like Lee Harris in the thirteenth, William Kutcha on the fifteenth, who I wasn't necessarily high and higher them, but there's upside there. Like cuch Will has some good power. I mean, Garis has some drinking trace as an outfielder. He's six foot two hundred, has some physicality to him. Signed for one hundred and fifty over in the thirteenth. But you're looking at some of these college guys in the middle rounds that are going to give them some value. You know, does does Luke Pettit come out and does he continue to match? Obviously, but does he come back on the mountain too? Like he had TJ this year and he had a lot of promise, you know before he got injured. So we intriguing and see how they operate with him. I think he's the biggest like quote unquote wild card in his class, but he's done very well on both sides of the ball, so we'll see what happens there.
Speaker 3: We head over more inching our way up in terms of bonus pool values, and this remember this is this is alphabetical by city, so this is by coincidence. Another the fifth lowest bonus pool here is the Phillies. The onily had seven point seven million to work with and they use almost half of that on their first round pick and Tyler Spangler three point two five million dollars there for Spangler at the thirty sixth overall pick, which I found. I know the high school guys are going to be expensive to sign, but Spangler is a guy that I think consensus was outside of the top fifty draft prospects, and no, you.
Speaker 2: Out them at sixty six.
Speaker 3: I was just very surprised by this one. We'll talk about that. And then one point four million on Cayden Bergen Pole Poll Caden Bergen Bogan Pole, Bogan Pole. Yep, hope, I got that right. I'm intrigued by Ruger Riojas. He's trying like the two different armslot things whatever. I just think he's gonna as a great chance to just land as a reliever at least and has some intrigued there. And then you go through the rest of the cloud, fair amount of arms, some bats sprinkled in there. What stands out to you about this Phillies costs because again hands were tied, they still go big money with their thirty sixth pick go you know, five hundred thousand oversat for Spangler, and then the rest of the way feels like they didn't have much room to really oversolt anybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely don't hate the Phillies taking risk here because obviously he was Spangler. He didn't really play all that much this spring with a back injury, and the biggest thing obviously is like he's gonna hit and seeing him last year, Like the zone control is great, the barrel control is exquisite. There's a lot to like in terms of a pure hitter here. The power we're waiting and see what happens. You know, he's pretty projectable six three one ninety five, but hasn't necessarily sold out for power. He doesn't necessarily you know, separate his hips and shoulders to kind of generate torque in his body, So there's not really a ton of like pulse. I power yet and maybe he grows into it. But I definitely thought that, Like if we're talking about Stanford commits who would be taking this draft class, I would have definitely put a lot of money on Arthur Horn being the guy here and not Spangler. And like Stanford commits are obviously gonna get more money because they value education. This is a very tough school to get kissed to be commit from, essentially, so to get Spangler here, as much as not, everything really worked out in his way the spring, getting that kind of payday is impressive, and I think there's a chance he turns into a pretty solid like bat the ball guy at the next level. Uh Bogan Pool has a ton of power. He's kind of like Jas lobbya lett in a way. Probably not a centerfielder, but he's moves pretty well for his size. You touched on Rioas, but even farther than like Devin Shearing, could be a fast moving reliever in its class. Jackson Jelkin. You know another guy that could move pretty quickly. He's he's been drafted multiple times at this point. But then you start looking at some bats too, like will Gasprino making Winslow. Those two guys in particular are intriguing because Gasprino, you know, if we remember it to be of the year, he was just torching the ball. He had like five home runs in the week. And I saw him at in Texas, uh, and they were on pitch, they were like good pitches away. Like I think it was teaming. Koons left him a slider and we'll talk about Coons later, but like he left him slider on the outer half or on the black rather and he took it one ten, four thirty to to right center field. It was really impressive. But I think guys started to realize that, like you can pitch him inside more because he doesn't necessarily have the ability to shorten his levers to make it easy to turn on the ball and kind of really shot off the power. So there's a lot to really like MOLDI with Gasprino. But the fact is you're looking at the guy that's six six to twenty projection, there's there's plus raw power and he can play center field. That there's a lot to like there. Uh for Gasprino. Then making Winslow transformed at UNC this year, cut his with rates in half, turned into a more complete hitter, has good power, probably not a catcher. Admittedly, like watching him, there were sometimes where it was a little rough. He kind of got you surfed in the defensive pecking order. For Colin Heinek, he got to catch a little bit in Charlotte, but didn't really do well. But the same token, you're kind of buying the bat there. And the bat really improved in ways that I never expected it to this year, and that's a testament to what you and see has been able to really build on the past couple of years. So you know, they get guys like Kane kep Lee, they get Owen Hole this year to turn him into these guys that just perform at the college level but also do a lot of stuff behind the scenes that just turn it into a completer or more complete profile in a way. And that's what they did with Winslow. He looks a lot better than what he did at Duke, so got to give him a shout out there. And there's some guys beyond that too. They're intriguing Patrick Clemy, who's Alice Clemy's brother. He signed for two hundred k in the fourteenth round. That's a high octane left handed arm. You get a guy, like a hometown kid Christian Coppola in the third or in the twelfth, rather who you know, goes to Rutgers, stays home, looks like a stutish freshman year, has some issue. Sophomore year it goes to Arizona, comes back to Saint Joseph's, and was one of the best streckout guys in college landscape this year. So they have some some stuff to work on here. Obviously, with with these guys, it took some risk here, but the upside is pretty enticing and I'm intrigued to see what they do. Even with the the the hands tied h makes it with this class. You know, they didn't have a ton of money in this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fun because I think you see some of the like higher floor type of arms, but then you also see these you know, big whiff potential.
Speaker 2: But high ceiling bats.
Speaker 3: You get two six six, you know, two sixty six bats in this class. It's pretty crazy and you think about the power that could be there, but all headlined by a pretty pure hitter in Spangler. So it's it's fun and I'm looking forward to seeing how this class shakes out. I think it was pretty creative overall given their limitations as you alluded to, we get to Pittsburgh and speaking creative, I mean they go under slot at five, and I mean got two point one four million under slot with Derek Curriel. Guy that really easy to like because of how good the bats of ball is, the just ability to i think patrol a solid center field. But that also set up the rest of the Pirates draft to get a little bit more creative because the Pirates slot value wise were closer to the top right, so they were about one, two, three, four, five, there were six and slot in bonus pool at about sixteen point two million dollars, so that allowed them to really spray the board the rest of the way. Thoughts on, of course, just the Curiel savings pick, even though I think for them is probably a guy that they had closer to five on their board than you know, the middle of the first round, I assume that a lot of people had him at and then how did they allocate those savings?
Speaker 2: In your eyes, yeah, go off the curryel Like I had him as eleventh on the on my board and it's not atlandis to see him taken in top five, like you said, like this is a guy that has hit for multiple years, going back to high school, had a bit of a power surge late in the year, which I think is what really turned a lot of people in on him was we've been waiting so long for the power to show up and he started to. And that's, uh, you know, he's never going to be a big power there. Obviously, he's sixty one ninety two and it's going to prioritize a hit tool. But if you got the power to like tring javerts like, that's a that's a legitimate, you know, five tool player with what he's able to do in the field and on the basis so you know, for Curry l at the slot, I think it makes perfect sense for the for the pirates and they love dipping their toes into the LSU pipeline. You know, Paul Skeins a couple of years ago, and then obviously going back with Derrick Curry Hill, I think they had one more in there as well in between those years. I can't remember exactly who it was, kind of blinking on it, but I'll probably figure it out at some point. But like to get the high school guys, he got after Aidan Ruiz Andrew Giles. You look at another guy like Spencer Evans and the eleventh round that's where sit savings went to UH and Rue is getting three and a half million. You look at a guy like Giles who signed for a mill and then Spencer Evans in three hundred k. You know, they got some intriguing high school guys who upside and then also like Chris Rembert getting him in the supplemental second with the pick that they got last year for not signing Servantes. He signed for overslot. He's a really contact minded second baseman who he has some intriguing power. He hit a ball like one oh seven four forty four last year at the USA Complex and nearly hit the building in left field on the burns. So there's something there to kind of work on with Rembert. I really like him as a sophomore. And then you get guys like Jason Nacara, Ryan Morond, Tyler, fay Rice and Moore who they fit what the Pirates do with pitching. They've they've understood that pitching is their their strong student development the past couple of years, and these guys just fit their what they look for in a Tee, so to get those guys as impressive and then you look farer down like Grant Goalvil Malachi Washington, who I don't think either of them assigned, but the great Insurance picks to have Royan and Lataux from San Diego State. You get a guy like DeMarcus right out Carter from Canada, who we talked about, you know before, with the Canadian guys getting so much leeway now in terms of how how impressive that pipeline has been the past couple of years. So there's a lot to like with this Pirates draft, you know. I think there's a pretty fine line of they went for upside on the on the prep side and also went for performers that haven't treating traits that fit their development mold, and I think that's perfectly fine with what the the money that they had to especially after trading away picked thirty four to the White Sox.
Speaker 3: Were you surprised for to see them be able to snag Trey Phelps at you know, two fifty eight, the two hundred fifty eighth pick for slightly underslot, given just the way that he performed at Georgia.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing with Phelps, and this is probably like going back to at least to his high school days, he never really had a defensive position. Yeah, so I think that played a big role in a his his thought kind of falling a little bit because last year he didn't necessarily perform well, he didn't really hit at all. It kind of straight away from what he had as a freshman, where he was really hitting everything and had the power to boot. But this year he went back to those roots and the hit tool got better, but the defense never really did. Like he was playing third base, but it was pretty choppy, But then you move him to second base and he looks like a viable defender there. So he's probably a second basement the next level, which kind of limits what he is like value wise. I don't You're not necessarily going to find a lot of like strong defenders at that position at the prep level or even amateur level rather, but the basket to play, and I think if the bat continues to be what it is, you know, I think this could end up being a steel But to sign him of that at that slot, it kind of shows that there's not a ton of ideas of like where he fitsts defensively, and I think that's something that's just been haunting him for the past few years in terms of in and out of drafts he's been. This is a third time being eligible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense. It makes sense. There we we head over to the Padres, who I think went with a little I guess not that much of a surprise. You don't really know what the Padres are gonna do, but they go with a big power arm and Coleman Borthwick sixty six and forty five pounds with their twenty with the twenty first overall pick saves them about four hundred or so thousand dollars uh. And then they go overslot with a couple consecutive picks there with Elliott Sells las sell Us Sells, another Canadian prepster, and then you got Ryan Lynch from North Carolina who they go slightly overslot with as well. What stands out to you with the class obviously Borthwick, big body dude projection to Florida kid, that that I think they're they're hoping that they can continue to unlock more of they that we've seen a little bit more of a bias towards these these prep arms. It feels like a bit over the last couple of years, several years from from AJ Prower and co. But they balanced that out with I think a fair amount of bats obviously, and then the subsequent five or six picks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is again like I don't think J Peller has ever taken a college guy in the first round while he's been a padre essentially, Like I think the last time they took a college guy was in twenty sixteen with Quantrill and Eric Lawer, and it's been high school ever since for them. So they like we thought at one point, like maybe this is the year to go college. We were holding Connor hostage behind us, like he's he's been in my closet for about a month or so. We let him out because they didn't go college. But bar Fook's very good. You know, I think there's a legitimate chance he could have been a two way. You know, he's a big athletic kid with some power to him. But he was a lot better on the mound for me where he's been up to ninety eight. And he found a new, you know, kind of way to pitch with a slider which really allowed to play off. It was fantastic when I saw him last year and he he he was a big piece of them winning the eighteen U national or international title. Actually they won the gold medal against Japan last year behind his complete game. So it was a this is a very very solid arm. They go for another big, you know, bulky prep pitcher, but then getting the sales in the second round. This is a kid that's going to hit at the next level. You know, how much impact, how much power do you have? We don't know quite yet, but he doesn't miss the ball. And also to like talk about these Canadian kids they're playing against, you know, they play with what all the time. They go to extended spring training, they go to the DSL, a c L, they go to all these places where they're facing you know, minor league guys at the rookie level. As much as rookie level, you're still facing these guys that are you know, a level up from them. And I think that's where teams are kind of looking at this and going, hey, you're doing very well against these guys who are in our organizations. We're gonna take chances on you. Yeah, you know, And and they even build on that, like next year's class and twenty twenty seven there might be the first ever Canadian one one pick. I'll be writing about that in a couple of weeks with Brennan Lawson. But you know, Canada's really turned into a pipeline and I was very excited to see where this kind of goes with them, and like speaking to some of the others, they were really excited as well. But outside of that, like Ryan Lynch being a sophomore getting a mill that makes sense, he had leverage to go back to U and See didn't have the greatest year, but low slots sinker up to ninety eight phills to strike zone. Slider kind of took a step back this year, but it's still very very good. He was ripping Austin really good ones to end the year and he finished the year very well for U and See was a big piece as to why they went back to the College World Series for a second time in three years. And you know, Lynch's He's definitely a workhorse guy has to build for it. Could be a reliever, but I think he has a chance to be a starter. But going outside that, like a lot of college performers as well, Yet Robbie Lavy who was in the portal from George Washington, Alex Connover, James Guyet, Nw Cotrades, Joe Tarol Lead. That's a really solid group of college guys right there. I believe I had all of them on my board in some capacity. So that's you know, I guess the Padres really like looking at our boards this year. But even outside of that, like Sawn Pitchpatrick could be a very solid left handed reliever, Benjamin Stubbs as well. Even farther down the board, you get Ryan Kucherak, who we were highlighting a lot a year ago before. We had a kind of a sub par year, so the Padres went after a lot of college guys that saved some money, but also some college guys who really performed, and I think they did a very good job of going after those profiles and getting the mistake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, the Padres are one of the classes where I will have kind of this like early intrigue anytime they take bats too like their their second to even like eighth ninth round bats. They just find guys. They just always seem to find guys. And I think about like Victor Figueroa, who'd end up packaging and trading to the orders. It was like their nineteenth round pick ors something Florida Southwest Junior College or whatever.
Speaker 2: The guy is just raked immediately.
Speaker 3: You can just there's so many examples of the padres have a really good feel to find hitters, and I like, so, I'm really interested to see you show me a Canadian shortstop batten from the left side that they took in the second round and gave a million one point three overslot, and Wassella's like, I'm I'm intrigued, right, But you know, Alex Connover, like, I'm excited to see even just some of these college bats. Seems like they always get even underrated college bats that end up performing. So very excited to see what this class shakes out to be. We get the Giants next up, which headlined by perfect fit Jackson Flora, pretty much a local kid, the best arm in the class. Giants needed a more pitching badly in that system. He immediately, I think becomes their closest proximity right handed pitching prospect in their top fifteen of their system. So like that that, I think that shows you kind of how much of a gap they had. I really liked Martinez Guy's far off as a talented right hander in that system. And then they go with another fun arm and Carson Bowman, uh because they had that compe pick at twenty ninth. Overall, I mean, we talked about bonus pool to work with here. This is the third largest pool that the Giants had here, and then it feels like they leveraged that with their first three picks eight million, three point three eight million, three point two five million with Kidd and Walktour as well out of South Florida. What do you make of this class? Obviously can't overlook Peyton Bonds, uh, the nephew of Barry Bonds going with their fourth pick and in the third round, But what do you make of the class overall? Feels like a really fun three headed monster of pitching to headline.
Speaker 2: It is, and to get all three of them two is pretty impressive. Like, I know, Bolman's number was pretty high and he only just signed a couple of days ago, but he came down a lot from what he originally asked for. But looking at what they were doing, you nailed nailed it on the head with with Flora, Like the Giants don't have a ton of high end pitching in their farm system. He's local, you grew up on the other side of the Bay, you know, going to him was kind of like a no brainer at the end of the day. And they get Carson Bowman and at twenty nine is really impressive too. You know, this is a guy that I personally thought was one of the best, you know, Southpaws in this class going into the winner, and he didn't necessarily perform all that well in the spring, but he got better as it came along. And the biggest thing for him is, you've been in the low nineties. You hide the ball well, deceptives throw strikes. We have two plus breaking balls to go after with what he has is the curve ball on the side are really really good. He has feel for a change up, so it's very polished, very again deceptive, and there's a lot to like with a high starter profile there. Wector is the same way, not to mention, like you kind of look at this draftcrafts in general, like the Wector Bonds. You look at Josiah Josiah in the twelve round. They went after a lot of guys who have big league blood lines. You know, obviously Doug Wector pitched a few seasons in Big Leans. Obviously we all know about Barry Bonds. And then also you got Matt Ken's nephew in the twelfth round, so they went after a lot of these guys that have blood lines and have upside to him. Then you also get guys like Carlos Martinez in the fourth round, who didn't pitch a year ago, had t J but he comes out this year looks like a really really good reliever. At the next level, you get Bob Bryant, who's another guy who's like a low slot lefty with a lot of whiff to his release, a lot of crossfire. Are gonna be a tough at back. Cody Brash is a really intriguing reliever to starter guy from from Louisiana, but he gets some intriguing bats to another you know, bloodline guy, Luke Nixon that's strot next Seuson's son from Nancy State. Then you also go for some more bats like Mike Massini in the knife round, who I'm not sure if anybody remembers, but Little League World Series legend. You get guys like Drew Smith at Oregon, who he had a very good junior senior year, so you know, getting these guys kind of works out. You get Tanner Madley, who led the NCAA in batting average this year too, in the seventeenth round, so Dalton Wentz also getting really really good over pay in the sixteenth round. Like, that's a really really solid get at that range. So there's a lot to leg with this Giants class, getting that three headed monster and also filling in some needs in the farm system and also getting some intriguing trait guys who could make their way through the farm pretty quickly and also help the big league roster in some capacity moving forward, and also just going for these again bloodline guys that have upside to him, Like all four of the guys mentioned all have intriguing upside to him, and I'm excited to see what the Giants can do moving forward in terms of development.
Speaker 3: I was gonna mention Wentz just because that's a guy that you had at two hundred and sixteen in your draft rankings and Giant snag him at four seventy eight. Obviously had to fork up some cash, but they had a lot of money to work with there, so that nice get there later in the draft. Given you know how much talent they were able to snag at the top end of it. So, I mean, you look at the arms at the top. It's just where I'm going to keep gravitating towards saying this could be, you know, what really defines this class and makes it exciting. And then yeah, it seems like Buster playing the bloodlines game a little bit too, which I can understand from him. We're going to go to the final stretch handful of teams here, but before that, one more break. Another team that just tends to be the gold standard of drafting is the Seattle Mariners. And the Mariners they get Ace Reese with their first pick. I think a lot of people would have viewed that as a great snag. He's got to kind of slip to them a little bit with the twenty fourth pick, but they were still able to sign him for about three hundred thousand undersquad. I think this is another guy where maybe public versus private hit tool concerns a little bit more loud privately with Reese, though, this is something that you had echoed a ton, you know, through your right ups and just through our draft conversations. But they go get another bat in Jake Brown out of LSU, and then they go get an arm and Nathan Taylor with their third round pick, and then it's just kind of a mixed bag. The throught the way I would say, honestly pretty hit or heavy, I should say. And so they go, you know, about four or five straight pitchers, but it's not until the eleventh round where they go more picture heavy. I would say, Yeah, you'll get one, two, three, four, five, six. Seven of their first eight picks are bats, which I thought was interesting for the Mariners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like a especially at the top of the draft, a different philosophy change. Like last year they went after obviously Kat Anderson at third round or third round, but third overall, but also they went on a huge run of pictures from like the sixth round to the othern rown. This year a little bit of a different story to kind of prioritize these bats more in like like you had mentioned with Acereez, like I think the bat the ball skills kind of regressed a little bit this year, but the power is still very much there. He's probably not a third basement like he was drafted as might be a first baseman, but to get that kind of power upside with him and Jake Brown, it's pretty impressive. Like Jake Brown was tearing to cover off the baseball before he had a handmate injury, so we'll see what happens there. Those are two very good bats. But then you get Nathan Taylor in the third round, who three year befomer in Cincinnati, huge kid at six five, two thirty, big extension, good slide piece. It's a pretty high floor. But there's some upside that's happened too if you fix the fastball a little bit. There as like a back end, you know, rotation guy. Trevor Lucas Hayden Yost are two guys that I probably should have valued a little higher. Trevor Lucas was a great performer at UNC Wilmington this year. Henry Ford, you know, goes from Virginia, was a draft oliple year ago. Goes to Tennessee has a pretty really like similar year to he had a year ago. But taking the sixth round. That's another big power guy. But then you start looking at some of these other guys, like you get Misson Eckleman, who his dad's the VP of hitting in the Guardians organization. He was a late Bloomer in this class, but they didn't getting some some arms later on, like whyat Queen Connor, Marshburn, Anthony Tredo, Chris Diaz, those are some intriguing arms to get late into. Like the Day three territory, Marshburn has a really really intriguing fastball or like a sinker slider Combo. I think it's going to be something to watch in that system. You know, sixty six to forty, big kid, but he does a very good job of getting ground balls at a high clip and also just limiting damage. But then after that, like they tried to get Donic Santarelli in the eighteenth round, didn't necessarily work out in their favor. Connor shouts as well. But you get Michael Battit in the nineteenth round two who VCU was able to grab him from Miami Dade Community College last year. He goes to VCU and he does a very good job job and center field for them, and did when he was at the Chapel Hill Regional. He just hit and that was something that really stood out to me, and I thought I was gonna be putting him on the board in some capacity. It was very close for him, but they found some intriguing bats in this class. I really do, you know, it grabs my interest, it pulls me in, which again is something they haven't really done recently. They they've really gone pitching heavy in these classes. So it's like a oh, welcome philosophy change a little bit from Scott Huntering Company. But they did a very good job regardless of what changed. I think they brought in a lot of good talent and there's some intriguing pictures in there as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you always go back to like the Emerson, Young and Pete draft and it's like, oh, like that, it was so much fun with all the early picks they had to go so bad heavy, and it's just it's interesting to see them go back heavy again. This is another draft where like I'm it's going to be eager to follow and see how a lot of these bats performed, because I just have a lot of confidence in the Mariner's ability to scout but also develop and and and the communication that teams to work between those two parties in the organization. I think, well, one set a guy like Ace Rees up for success with some of the questions that he has, but also, you know, has me interested in some of the other picks, you know, some of the other guys that they have here in this draft class. Overall, we go to the Cardinals, speaking of ty Pete, that's the organization he's in now. But they go with uber athletic prep outfielder and Trevor Condon with the thirteenth overall pick. But then they go to Takankuns who U teased earlier right hander with their comp A pick thirty second overall. Third pick for them second round pick fiftieth overall was rock them and a Scalgo who turned a lot of heads at the combine with just all the things that he was putting up from like speed, arm, strength, whatever it may be. Yeah, Alabama prep kid that got one point two two million overslot there, and I think I would love to think that the combine played a part in that. But this is just an uber talented class because they had two comp B picks camp A pick like how many picks within the first five rounds one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight picks within the first five rounds. Uh, the opportunity to have a lot of fun for him bloom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and fun was had for sure, Like you had mentioned, obviously getting Content in a SCALCO. Condon can definitely be a centerfielder. He's a is a high energy player that you know, scouts are going to gravitate towards those guys that have they played with their hair on fire, essentially, and Condon is just that guy. He did change his swing and add some more powers this year. It's a very old school swing where he kind of just waits. It's very methodical, but he hit everything that came his way last year, and again the swing changes kind of helped him tap into more power alleviate some concerns about does he catch up the high v low and everything like that. So it's a very good change and Content is just again just one of those guys that you're going to gravitate towards as a scout and as a as a fan himself. Getting in a scalc in the second round. This is a kid that reclass He's one of the youngest youngest guys drafted seventeen and two months. But the gloves the calling point here it is you know, buttery smooth. I would say double plus defender. We're talking like the best defender in this draft class in my opinion, rivaling Rob CHELASKI like that there's a lot to like with this kid, and we're hoping the bat does come around. He had a very good combine if I remember correctly through ninety seven and wild scouts on that. But the bat really showed out in BP and that was something we've all been kind of looking for this year from this from him. So to have that happen is fantastic for him. You know, getting three point two million is a you know, it definitely shows how much they gravitated towards him and found out that there's a lot more to like underneath the hood than just you know, the glove. It's fantastic, But he's got a floor and we're just waiting and see what kind of offense lives like he can get into. But outside of those guys, you get like Teken Kuns in the second round, who very intriguing fastball traits, low release, high extension, so it's a very flat, vertical or protangle. You can work on the breaking balls and the splitter a little bit. Andrew Williamson, you know, the swing again, guys are gonna be is a very polarizing swing. Guys are gonna be concerned because there's a essentially a hitch, but the hands are so whippy and there's so much batspeed that there's a lot of power there and he can play. He's played all three outfield spots at Central Florida, so we'll see how he develops. But I liked him a lot as a power first kind of guy in the outfield. Get Dawson Montesa just a couple picks later. Kaden Ferraro was, in my opinion, one of the most underrated bats in his class because he did so much damage to every quadrant in the field. I think Texas tit just really finds these hitters and knows how to develop them and does a good job of finding so much impact in these guys despite the fact that you look at them the past couple years, they haven't performed great in college, but they know how to get these guys a hit, and I think, for hours, just another one of those guys who he just fantastic hitter both average and power, but the defensive questions kind of still remain a little bit. But then you get the Kennedy who had a fantastic here at Kansas State, came in from Texas very pole power or sorry, very pole power oriented approach, can play some short stop. And then you get Kyl Rendall, who probably had the best fastball in this class up to one hundred flat approach angle, very very good spin races. There's a lot to like there. They get a D two guy and Owen Henny who performed very well in the Draft League this year. Then you kind of look farther down the board too. You get guys like Matthew Thomas in the thirteenth round who signed for only twenty five k overslot. Clinton fresh Corn and Colin Ritchie were insurance guys, so to mention those guys that are going back to college and going to see what happens. But they were both highly regarded going into the draft. But then again like Jacob Haaley, eleven rownd are out of South Alabama, Drew Horn as well, So they've gone after some guys who have trades farer down the board. But what they did in the first five rounds is just it's really really good and have that kind of draft prospects surplus to go into your farm system is fantastic. They did a very very good job with the the the resources that they had and turned it into a very very good draft class is one of my favorites in the in the entire league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the Randall wrinkle is fun too because with the fastball that he has, like, do they try to do something similar like we saw with with Tanner Franklin, stretch him out and and just really see what kind of run why you can give them as this as a starter. I mean, the fact that there's the amount of like forty plus future value guys that they're just adding the system that you can of course push north of that with development is so fun. And that's why this class, like I mean, the amount of guys that are signed for five hundred thousand dollars or more, you know, it just just makes it really exciting to see, you know, what could happen here. And yet very very much I think to the joy of him Bloom to be able to have a draft like this, you know, and as you say and over and this farm system is gonna have a lot of talent working its way in Condon's one guy, Like I want to see that barrel tips still clean up a little bit more. But you look at the tools and skill set and everything and it's like, holy crap. What could be with him. We go to the Rays and they had the number two overall pick. They had an absolute boatload of money to work with the second largest bonus pool at nineteen million dollars Grady Emerson's their first selection, number two overall. You can make a case it's you know, one, A, one B in the draft class ridiculous What the upside is for a guy that could just be one of the most well rounded, you know, prospects that we have in the game. Pretty quickly here, but key sense for nine point seventy five million, which is ridiculous. That would have been a record had you know, not been for Rock, right, but still because of how big these bonus numbers were for the slot value that still is seven hundred and fifty thousand underslots. So have your fun raise and this is another org like you give them this.
Speaker 2: Kind of money to work with.
Speaker 3: The Rays aren't picking at number two very often and they may never pick at number two ever again. So I think they made the most of this opportunity here, right, And I mean they allocated money in a lot of different areas and brought in a ton of talent and as we're doing this right now, though they didn't. I think unless something hasn't been updated. It's what three guys left unsigned in this class, the last being like an insurance pick kid in my backyard and West Brown High School. I haven't a batter, but two other selections here you have Gavin Geez Geese Geez in their thirty third round pick and Tate and Sorry, and then Logan George's in their eleventh round selection that as of now have not signed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I think it's pronounced geys. I could mean, it could be mistaken. I haven't had like a somebody to tell me like, hey, this is how to pronounced guys names. But yeah, like we're we're still waiting to see if Guyston George is signed. George's committed CCU, Big Bulky Kid had TJ but came back last year, did very very good on the summer circuit. And then Geist is a I don't want to say a pop up guy, but before very well in the during the WWBA down in Jupiter last year, had a great offseason, came out, was throwing strikes up to ninety four ninety five good ve loo and also has good breaking balls to go with it. And he's also I can't remember his dad's name, but he was with the Yankees as their scouting director for a while. So there's another pick with like bloodlines there. But he's committed San Diego. We'll see if he signs today. By the yes, we got.
Speaker 3: We're recording at two thirty Eastern. He's got about two and a half hours to figure that out. Yeah, let's assume he doesn't sign, and I got to operate under the assumption he doesn't. With this class, obviously, they still allocated a lot. I mean, if four different players signed for over a million dollars, they had two more for north of eight hundred thousand dollars, and then several others for you know, varying six figured you know, numbers there, what what where?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: What do you make of the class? Even if they don't land guys.
Speaker 2: Still think it's very solid. You know, obviously you get Emerson at number two sign in for three quarters of mill underslot, but also still get a premium talent at that position is fantastic taj marshand Uh. Very Again, this is another one that's like a polarizing swing where some guys can be concerned, like how it plays at the double A level, but you know he's he did a fantastic job this year. Had a big summer circuit a year ago, very stretchy swing, but on time there's power there. You let it work until it doesn't. Ben Blair from Liberty I thought was one of the best mid major arms in this class. If you know Jackson Flora wasn't here, he might have been the best. Sinker heavy or sorry, not sinker heavy, but like sinker fastball gets a cutter, gets a sweeper to go with it, you know, very intriguing arm to get in the second round for them, get Colum Bland, who has a power in the fourth who signed foreverslot Owen. Kramkowski kind of fits like the TJ. Nichols mold a little bit, and it's not because he went to Arizona like Nichols did. It's more of the way they move the body types and then also the arsenal's well, you know, Kramkowski doesn't necessarily have a change up, but he has this field spin, good fastball, sits in the load of mid nineties. You will find a way to kind of develop him. He's a good mold to kind of work with. Kyle Johnson gets drafted as a pitcher, and then they go after two intriguing you know, high school arms and aj Rice and Griffin Long, who they signed for the same slot bonus eight hundred and twenty two point five. And aj Rice you know, smaller kid, he's five eleven, one seventy five, but field spins outstanding. Griffin Long, fantastic change up, gotten more extension, got more velocity. He looks very very good. Ty Jones is another solid outfield prep guy who tons of power, can play center field. And then obviously, you know, going after some more college arms to kind of save some more money. Alex phil Pott got I would say like seventy five k overslot in the sixteenth round. But they the Rays do a fantastic job of bringing in talent year in and year out, and even if they don't get George's and guys to sign, it's still a very good crop of arms. And obviously getting two very very good short stop talents and Emerson and marshandon the first two picks to bring them in. Fantastic get as always for the rais. So we'll see what happens in the next two and a half hours. But as of right now if if one signs and the other doesn't, cool If not, then you know kind of start talking about this class falling a little bit for me, but still a top ten class in my opinion for the race.
Speaker 3: I mean, when you get headline it with two such exciting high school shortstops and then you have been true race fashion. There's a lot of unique arms to add to the full odds are things should age pretty well for you. Speaking of arms, we go to the Texas Rangers. They get the top prep arm in the class and Geo Rojas who slips to them at sixteen, and they were a wile to still save money with Rojas as well, So another maybe divide between what we thought the board would look like and then you know what teams actually kind of thought it would shake out as because falls to sixteen and they still save money there at four point six million dollars signing bonus that pick value was just over five. They go get a high school shortstop as well, but then also snag one of the more intriguing arms given the situation, Brody Bumilla, who was a first round talent another elbow issue after already undergoing you know an Elbert procedure not too long ago, kind of clouds things a little bit, but it's a lefty that can throw one hundred, so you get that guy in the third round. Generally it feels like a little bit pitching heavy at the top, but they balance it out with some more bats in the middle rounds. And yeah, I'm just overall curious what you think of the class because clearly too hard throwing prep lefties really risky. Christiano doesn't seem to care, but then balance out with some bats as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is another one where I really like the shots that they took in the first couple of rounds. Getting Gio Rojas again, this is, in my opinion, was the top lefty in his class from the prep side where been up to ninety seven. Has a really good breaking ball. Change up is developing, but he's shown flashes of it being really good. It's just the command gets a little scattered. Shot kind of rushes its delivery a little bit, so there's times where he kind of loses it. But the upside is fantastic with him. If you can get the projection to kind of if you get his body to fill out, the projective is fantastic. Connor Como, another projection guy who he began pulling the baseball after Airy coaches last year. Ghost of Jupiter has a fantastic showing down there and he carried it into the spring. This is a guy that is going to grow into more power from the left side, has fuel to hit as well. So it's another one of those like you're projecting on it. But six four can play shortstop. You maybe be able to put him in like a corner outfolds, but if he doesn't look you know, great there moving forward, but you're buying the bat there and then buma getting him at the third round, paying him a first round bonus. Uh, it's a lot of risk, you know, taking a guy who now has two elbow surgeries on his stocket now at such a young age, Like this is a guy who I believe just turned he will turn eighteen or sorry, he'll turn nineteen in January, so it's still pretty young. But yeah, it's a it's a lot of risk to take with those picks. And I again, this is a draft class of hinges on those guys. But going outside of that, Hudson Calhoun could be a starter candidate. The Rangers like finding these guys who are relievers in college and turning him to the starters. Dalton Pence fantastic example of that. Owen proached last year too, So there's a very solid chance at Calhoun does that this year. But even Michael Anderson junior from Penn State, very very good bat with power this year also, it's been up to ninety nine on the mound. Could be a two way guy. Then they found just a lot of guys that will save him money and brainerd Aoki, Kobe Branch, King Carpenter, Evan Morrison. They all signed for two hundred or not two hundred, but two point five k, you know.
Speaker 3: Five hundred dollars, which I still think should be against the rules. You should have to give these guys at least five thousand dollars, maybe even more than that. Ten I just I think it's crazy. But yeah, they they stacked one, two, three, Four of those four guys signed for two thousand, five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Kobe Branch Captain America going and go play. He actually played for the USA Collegiate team, which normally doesn't take twenty three year olds, but hey, they they nearly won the whole tournament. This year and they'll be playing next year and carry, which I'm excited about. But going outside of that, like Evan, I.
Speaker 3: Would say that earned a seven five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Absolutely, you get an extra five K bonus for going to the USA team. But uh, outside of that, like Jordan Hawkins, Jackson Nash shining for overslot in the eleventh and twelve round or two stllar gets Landon Brewer, you know, this is a projectable arm. So again, there's a lot of risk to take in this draft class, and I feel like it really hinges on how real Rojas, Como and Bumia kind of a form. But you know, hey, I kind of like this a bit more because obviously they had more pool money to kind of work with in the Rangers. Dude, they know how to work with these kind of types. So I'm intrigued to see what they can do and we'll see what it goes from there. But they got some really solid depth in this class and we'll just see how it pans out in about two to three years. Maybe if they're all performing in the way that I expect them to, then this is just an outrageous get for the Rangers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the upside is quite immense with risk, but the reward is definitely there when you're weighing both. We go to the final two classes. Toronto Blue Jays up next. Mind you, this was a second small bonus pool. They grab Cole Carlin, left hander, who does a great chance for at least Land is like a leverage reliever at the big league level with the wipeout slaughter that he has in a fastball that averages about ninety six, can get up to triple digits. Then they go. They don't pick again until one hundred and third selection. Right, their first pick was thirty ninth overall for Carlin, and they get Ryan Cooney shorts out out of Oregon, and then I think their big spend, right, the deal that they're probably really excited to be able to pull off was Will Brick in the fourth round where they signed him for two point five million dollars when it was a five hundred and eighty thousand slot value there. I know, Brick is a guy that you were pretty high on as well, eighty eighth on your board. They I think that was the big get for them, given how limited their their bonus pool was.
Speaker 2: For sure, and like to talk on a little brick too. This is a kid that he reclassed last summer. He played on the eighteen U national team as well, if I remember correctly, or he's at tryout and I remember. The biggest thing that stick out to me was the fact that they tried running on him in three straight innings and each time the throw is just got progressively better. And there was one throw he made from his knees like perfect, perfect to the second basement and got him with time, So like the kid can defend it behind the backstoff. He's one of the few guys where, like prep catchers are pretty volatile, you don't expect him to really stick back there, but he's one of the guys where you're like, Okay, yeah, he's gonna stick it at the catching position for a long time, and the bats intriguing, Like he kind of doesn't sell out for power as much, but he's this big kid who definitely has the raw power to really turn into a legitimate extra bas threat and also does feel to hit too, So like there's a lot to like with this kid also in an absolute goofball, He's another guy that he's only my personal favorites the interview this year because he was just such a knowledgeable kid but also kind of an open book. And he's he's definitely a very. He attracts a lot of guys essentially, it's a very. He definitely a leader. He's definitely a guy that is gonna be fun to be teammates with in my opinion, So for him, it's fantastic. And then obviously you know Carloone getting him in the thirty ninth. Overall, it's a guy I thought it could go in the back end of the first round, you know, definite relief risk. He might be a closer at the end of the day. But the slider's legitimate had more velocity this year to command got better. Can you expend the arsenal more. We'll see what the Blues can do, but they've done a good job with developing arms recently. Ryan Cooney is a great get in the third round. Played better than his teammate Match Maloney, who went to the Tigers. We talked about in the last episode. Very good hit tool had some more power this year. He can defend it short stop. If Maloney wasn't at Oregon, he would have been a short stop this year. So Cooney's gonna slide over to his right. But then you get some guys who again this is another case of going after guys who you're gonna save you some money in Noland Higgins, Gable, Mitchell, Jake Bennett, Joey Urban, Bryce Chance all signed for cine filonder slot. You get Dean West who could be a pretty solid table setter for you at the top of the lineup. Braden Martin had some of the best bat the ball skills in this draft class. Gets him in the eleventh round and sign him for like fifty k over but he missed like two fastballs all year. The bat the ball steals are ridiculous. You can play in at third base in the outfield, there's some utility there. Then to go farther down, you get some guys like Santiago Garcia, Matthias nay Roll from Kansas who he's French. Actually he's not the only European national disclass. I think the Marlins actually had a sweet.
Speaker 3: I saw he's from Switzerland, right, yes, serious.
Speaker 2: With that's crazy. And then even outside of that, like you get all of your data Torri, which the col Arms are underappreciated this year because they were wark courses. To get him in the fifteenth round is pretty solid. I think he has a decent career, big kid, really good change up fastball, is only going to play so much, but again, gonna eat you a ton of innings if you get to his full ceiling. Landon Waters is gonna have some intrigue trades. They didn't get Jake mccoyny eighteen round, which is I guess fine because most of the money did go to Will Brick and deservedly. So this is a kid that they really think can can do a lot for them behind the plate in offensively. So I'm intrigued to see what the blue Jays can do outside of this. But I'd say a pretty solid haul for the blue Jays all things considered, with the second lowest pool on this class. I agree.
Speaker 3: I think they get a first round arm and then get you know, the the top prep catcher in the class comfortably and Will Brick. Yeah, that's a lot of upside, I think ultimately, when and it's not like you fully punted your your second selection in Ryan Cooney in the third round pick, they're like, I thought they were pretty creative given you know how limited they were bonus pool wise, we go to the Nats and this is the final team. Here, they grab Chris Acopian eleventh overall. Then they go with Chase Brunson with their second round pick. He was a bit of a savings pick there, but then some of the most of that, all of that is funneled to Luke Williams, prepster out of Pennsylvania with their third round pick, who signed for one point four to three million overslat And they followed that up with another overslaught pick with Cooper Harris, another prepster, this time a right hander out of Texas. So curious what you think of this Nationals class. They headline it with I think one of the safer bats just purely on the bat side, and Kopian in the draft, but then you know, balance things around with some high school upside with the third and fourth picks, and then some other intriguing names I think throughout the rest of the you know, the class for them, and they signed everybody except for their sixteenth and seventeenth selections, which both kind of looked like insurance picks.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Anthony Murphy goes from LSU to Miami Gallaston's going to go to Georgia Tech, where you know he's going to fit into a lineup where they lost Carson Curse. I believe, I believe he is the as draft pick, but you know he's gonna kind of slot into that shorts op row now for the for the yel Jackets, and they've got a lot of retooling to do. But Gallison can hit and there's some power there. I liked what he can do there. But Jacopian, you know, we talked a bit about this in Philly where the injury bug plagued him a lot this year. He had a nagging back issue, and there are also reports that he played through a Brooklyn leg. I don't think that was necessarily true, but I know it's been reported. But when he's healthy, this is some of the best batketball steels in the class. Does not miss the fastball. I believe he only missed two all year in the zone. And then also there's some underlying power traits like here. I think he hit VP the other day with the big league team, and there was raw power in the bat, you know, with Wood hitting one O nine, one ten, I think he bought the one thirteen in BP, so I think there's gonna be a lot to like with a coop and you get him fully healthy, I think he's gonna go through the minus pretty quickly. Just a second baseman, though probably is not going to be on the left side of the dirt. Chase Brunson, I liked them a lot. He played in center field this year. He's gonna stick there. And also there's intriguing power in the bat. I thought last year he needed short to swinging a little bit, and he didn't necessarily do that this year, but he did perform a lot better in my opinion this year and saves them a lot of money. Luke Williams high athleticism, high power. You know, this is a kid that you're really banking on the ability to hit, and we'll see if it really develops. But you draft the athlete and you take that gamble. This is definitely one of those cases where they do it, you know, kind of like a Koy James archetype a little bit but a lot more powerful. In my opinion. You get Cooper Harris in the fourth round, who is going to be throwing probably one hundred miles an hour in a couple of years, like big projection, really easy delivery too, and the arnspeed just really pops on the film when you watch him. That's a key indicator for me with a guy that's gonna be throwing really really hard in a couple of years, also has a really good breaking ball, spends the ball very well. You know, there's some downhill plane to it. But I think at the end of the day you grow into that more philosophy and find ways to kind of turn them into a decent command kid on the mound. You'd like the upside and you go for I think this is something that they really look for, and I trust Paul at Debonian Company to really turn him into something. Get Kouve, who was injured this year, had a backstretch fractured late in the season. But then also he transformed himself. He really turned away from this guy that was kind of swing happy, didn't really stay in his zone, had like a chase rate of forty percent. He stayed more in his zone this year. He was doing more damage and is obviously seventy great power. So playing at third base, maybe he moves to first base, but the basket going to play there get some intriguing arms and Cooper, Allen, Gage Peterson, and Max Hansman in the sixth, seventh, and eighth. And then also you get some more intriguing arms later on the Weston Moss Matthew Dallas, Anson Stebert, who was a Tennessee commit went the campus, didn't get much run, but then goes to the community college and finds find the twenty front pick and sign. And so the Nationals, I think their driver is going to hange on how Luke Williams and Cooper Harris really turned into what we think they can but the same token getting Brunston and getting a copy and is fantastic. Those are two guys that could really fly through a system when they're fully healthy. Brunston obviously this year had a scare where we thought he tore his achilles, but came back and performed well. So we'll see how this draft fast turns out. But I really liked the upside they targeted here in this class in the Nationals, I do fully believe that they'll find a way to develop these guys. This is a newer gime and with tabony and what they've been able to do, I think there's a solid git for these guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love I love the floor ceiling combination with the college bats and then high school bat and high school arm and just dropping that into the improved player development infrastructure that you have in the nationals ORG. I think put them in a fun spot and then, like you said, still a lot of interesting value you in the later rounds to make this class really strong, and I think the national will say, you got to feel really good if you're an ADS fan about how they came out of this class. Already an hour twenty five in so Tyler, two and a half hours roughly of draft talk. You're breaking it all down. Nobody better to do it. Thank you so much, dude for breaking this all down. It was so much fun doing the draft stream with you, talking draft through with you before, after, and of course finally as we have all these picks coming through here, plug everything you gotta plug here because again, like we said, twenty twenty seven is just beginning now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, and you got some more twenty twenty seven pieces coming up. I was just going to write about Brennan laston and how he could be the first one to one Canadian ever in the draft era. I'm also going to be doing some more boards and some recaps what I've seen out in the field, So go and follow at Tyler Jenny's twenty four on Twitter. Also followed the at College Baseball Show Jared Mark. All these guys that we have behind the scenes a fantastic job and they deserve all the credit in the world for what they do behind the scenes and everything they've put out, So give them a follow at College Baseball and then you can follow everybody from there, and obviously got area coaches coming up, more eighteen U stuff. I'm going to be doing a lot of college boards and college and high school ranks moving forward. So excited for clean slate on on the new cycle, and we'll see what happens in the offseason to see if we actually have a draft next year. But hey, at the end of the day, this is again just been a fantastic opportunity to work with you guys, and I am very much thankful that you guys took a chance on us and we've been able to turn into something special. So thank you guys.
Speaker 3: It's been a blast. I think this is obviously thanks to you and again the College Baseball Show guys, the most informed our audience has ever been on the draft and college baseball in general, and just amateur baseball in general as well.
Speaker 2: So just the beginning.
Speaker 3: A lot more fun things ahead, and I hope you guys enjoyed this breakdown. We've got an episode with Max Clark tomorrow, so very much looking forward to putting that out with you. He's one of the most one of the hottes hitters in the minor leagues right now, and we're gonna break it down as he knocks in the door, big big debut.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you then