Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And Trump's approval rating is underwater in eleven of the states he won. We have such a great show for you today. The Link Project's own Rick Wilson joins us to discuss Donald Trump having his bank accounts closed on suspicions.
Speaker 2: Of money laundering.
Speaker 1: Then we'll talk to Status News's own Oliver Darcy about Barry Weiss running CBS into the ground.
Speaker 2: But first the news Somali.
Speaker 3: Trump really does not have an easy time prosecuting people for the crimes that they He often is inventing that they've done. And if we have another failure and the seat of the crime is the reflecting pool or the scene of the not crime.
Speaker 1: So just for those who have a life unlike Jesse and I, there's a guy he gets in trouble for he gets arrested for stacking his hand in the reflect pool. They decided to charge him with vandalism. Trump had been for a couple of days before and after tweeting about vandalism the reflecting pool. Of course, you'll be shocked to know just like the sandwich guy. Remember the sandwich guy. This is the deep gray.
Speaker 4: How could I forget?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who threw a sandwich? And it turned out the sandwich guy had worked in the DOJ That guy who threw a sandwich and an officer. They tried to charge him with battery, assault or something that effect, and you know what happened, got a no bill.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The grand jury was like, uh uh and uh that's basically what happened here. There was no damage. No, Okay, is there damage that reflecting pool. There are different theories of the case, but if there is, it's very possible, nay likely, that that damage came from Donald Trump and his people driving their cars on the reflection pool, or perhaps it came from the no big contract that he gave to green Water Water Treatment or whatever it is who put together a plastic thing at the bottom of the reflecting pool, the reflecting pool. I just want to say, first of all, it's so stupid and it shows really how disinterested Donald Trump is in affordability, which is the one thing that anyone wants him to be interested in. But the other thing about this stupid story, which I will be talking about for the rest of my life, besides the Marie Antoinette of it is the fact that like Obama had trouble with the reflecting pool too. And actually it's funny. I was talking to someone who worked in New York City government, in city government when Donald Trump was a young developer, and he was talking about how when Donald Trump took over the ice rank in Central Park, Donald Trump said, oh, look I did it. I fixed the ice rank no one else could. And you felt like he was kind of a scammer, like he was saying he was saving something that he really wasn't.
Speaker 2: That this was just like he was making it seem like more than it was.
Speaker 1: And that is sort of I think the core of trump Ism is it's this sort of scamminess, this belief that he can do things that other people can't, when in fact, he can't do things that other people can. And so I say to you, if you suffer from imposter syndrome, you should look to Donald Trump to see that there is no You should feel pretty good about yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that whole thing is really well chronicled in the movie The Apprentice. It really gets snails that sentiment very well. So speaking of people who one day will be mocked in a movie. In a similar way, Elon Musk is going all in on Senator Susan Collins, and he's opening up his wallet and saying, here you.
Speaker 2: Go, girl, yeah you know. So here's what's happened.
Speaker 1: Has decided to do one hundred million in the midterms.
Speaker 2: Maybe more. Now, Elon Musk is a big that's just Susan. Oh just one hundred million for Susan. Oh wow, look at this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Musk plans to spend between one hundred million and one hundred and twenty million to help Collins as well as other Republicans candidates. I think that's the whole group in close Senate races. Now here's the thing. Troy Jackson, fifth generation Maynor was a lumber guy, okay, running against Susan Collins. Susan Collins is from the fancy part of Maine Portland. She has the support of fancy people like the Bushes. She is now got the support of the richest man in the world, okay, the.
Speaker 3: Richest man of the world, but also mister Data Center, which shob not very popular like janit bills like basically took off like ten points of her popularity.
Speaker 4: People estimate from just supporting data centers.
Speaker 1: Data centers is a real eighty twenty issue, and people hate them. They're scared of them, and they see that they use electricity, they use water. They're terrible, I mean, and the idea that you should you know, I mean, I'm sure people have seen the videos of the noise that data centers make, or that they raise your electricity bills, or that they use your water, or that they I mean, there's so many reasons to hate data centers and did not want them to move into your state. And so if Elon Musk is able to get Susan Collins reelected, which he very warm might because she often overperforms polling, it will mean very likely that mean and the rest of us will get more data centers, which is a pretty distressing situation. But he plans to also spend his America pack plants to spend in Alaska, Iowa, Ohio, and Michigan. By the way, you know why he's spending money in those dates.
Speaker 3: Because the republicanscerned trouble. Yeah, So there's an interesting thing happening here. On the cover of Drudge Today, we have a really wild graphic about Iran's plans to poison our water in seven different states.
Speaker 4: Yes, and Governor Walls is accusing the Trump administration of covering this up.
Speaker 1: It's not good. So here are a couple things here. We know that you can't trust this administration. We know that this administration does a lot of really destructive shit. We know that this administration is deeply dishonest about all sorts of stuff. So it's not hard to put together the Walls that he would be right about this. Okay, so he says President Trump is lying about who committed the cyber attack on his state and purposefully hiding how many states were affected. Trump on Friday dismissconcerns that Iran was likely responsible for a cyber attack against him. By the way, Iran has done a lot of cyber attacks. And also Donald Trump did go to war with Iran again, we still don't know why. The probably because Natanyahu convinced him to. Trump knows exactly who is responsible for the attack, and other states were hit too, Waltz wrote on X and remember like this is an administration that has been really disinterested in cyber warfare or getting us up to speed on this stuff, and has asked for you know, they're more focused on trying to test war fighter's testosterone and making sure that black people don't get promotions, because anti anti racism is racism.
Speaker 5: So Molly the Daily Mail has this wild report that MAGA exiles, including Marjorie Taylor Green and Tucker Carlson, thought to launch a new political party and are going to wage war on Trump.
Speaker 4: We're not going to have a Never Trump party. We're going to have, of course, the America First Party.
Speaker 2: If it's never Trump and it's Trump, then what is this?
Speaker 1: This is like get we need sometimes sometimes before Trump, right exactly, we need we want the racism.
Speaker 2: But none want.
Speaker 4: I wanted to be Trump's mistress for many years, and now I don't.
Speaker 1: It's important to remember, I think, like when we talk about this, So these are former Trump allies turn detractors who have grown frustrated by the President's broken campaign promises. The people in this group Tucker Grlst and Marjorie Taylor Green, Thomas Massey, Joe Kent. Okay, so I want to pause for a minute and just explain the danger of this. Okay, these are not our friends. Okay, these are not like, these are not just because they're anti Trump and and good. These are not the people you want to be okay, Like these are people who don't want to fund I mean, these are not your father's Republicans. These are like real, this is the racism and the anti Semitism and all the stuff that is really it's just not this is not this. This is not the stuff than any of us wants to be associated with. So look, if there's a split in MAGA, which is something we have talked a lot about, right it started with the Iran war, it went to the Ebstein stuff. You know, in every which way Donald Trump made promises. But some of these promises, like these people, you know, they want to end forem wrest, but they don't necessarily want to do it because they are against war or you know, I just think you should be really, really really cautious about this group. And by the way, Laura Lumer, who is still all Trump, called for all seven of them to be put on a watch list for being traders to the country. Everyone's gotten so far afield from normal here. Every single one of these people belongs on a government watch list. Every persons photo is a trader to an America America and an anti Trump operative amplify by foreign adversaries.
Speaker 2: Megan McCain. I don't know if you know who her dad is.
Speaker 4: Never never heard her talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she I mean, look, you know, I don't know. I'm very suspicious about all.
Speaker 3: But well, I mean, i'll tell you why it'll be suspicious. We discussed this previously. I said the thing I said, I bet you this happens once Trump crosses the bushline. Trump cross the bushline sweep right. It's like, this is no coincidence. I could have imagined that in a meeting so easily.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so the idea is that Trump's polling has gotten bad enough that this crew has decided that they don't have to pretend to like him anymore. And that makes a lot of sense, I think.
Speaker 2: And you know.
Speaker 1: Look, you have a party that basically still has had absolutely no nothing besides Trump. Right, there's not you know, it's just Trump. You know, there isn't like a megabase, right, it's Trump Advance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that's it, all right, My.
Speaker 3: Since I know he's your fave, I have a president for you. We're going to listen to RFK Junior go absolutely batshit on data. Basche's state of the Union show and see and.
Speaker 1: Then I just want to say that Chiron reads US measles cases reach thirty five year high.
Speaker 6: Let's watch there are other countries that at higher.
Speaker 7: But you can go ahead about why we had that, but you nobody can tell you. I mean, we have, as you say, in the highest crimes in the world. And Anthony Fauci was mismanaging the COVID pandemic. Who was doing it under the Biden administration. President Trump wanted to hand the lockdowns, And in fact, in Anthony Fauci's diaries, he talks about how President Trump is calling him every day trying to get him to reopen the country.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, the lockdowns were done by governors. I mean, certainly Anthony Fauci and the President had opinions at the lockdowns were done by governors.
Speaker 8: And largely because and largely because largely because they were hearing they were hearing from hospitals saying that their ICUs were overrun and they needed some help while that was happening.
Speaker 9: But I wasn't.
Speaker 4: That's just not true.
Speaker 10: What you're saying is not true.
Speaker 4: No, they were doing it.
Speaker 7: Because Anthony Fauci was telling him from the top, you need to lockdown. There were ICUs that were empty all over the country, including in New York at the height.
Speaker 9: I'm asking you, I'm going to go back to what I asked you at the beginning, which is President Trump and he was the guy in charge, and you tweeted back.
Speaker 6: In twenty twenty four that he let bureaucrats like Anthony Fauci shut down the entire country.
Speaker 2: Again the president.
Speaker 7: The president was trying to reopen the country when he left. The country was kept closed for another almost a year and a half after.
Speaker 1: Boy, I'm telling you what I love about this is nothing the idea that they're still litigating COVID, that they're litigating COVID and we are what we're year six years past COVID.
Speaker 2: It's such a loser.
Speaker 1: And and look, this is coming up because ram Paul, you know, has released the diaries and had him come. And it's all distraction from the poor polling, from the high gas prices, from all of this stupid crabs. This is such an unnecessary distraction. And like, instead of getting us prepared for more, you know, for whatever is coming down the pipe next, or dealing with the measles outbreak, or doing any of the stuff that could be productive or working on climate change or the forest fires in Canada, any of that shit, Nada.
Speaker 2: What do we have instead? We have them, like, you know, having.
Speaker 1: These hearings with his eighty four year old public servant because they want to get him for not get for not what for not for being.
Speaker 2: Too much for COVID restrictions. I mean, it's ridiculous. It's so stupid, it's like being in a house.
Speaker 1: Wick Wilson is the founder of the Lincoln Project and the host of the Lincoln Project podcast.
Speaker 10: Rick Wilson Wellie John Fast.
Speaker 1: Capital on Financials said it closed accounts belonging to President Donald Trump, not Donald Trump's real estate company, in twenty twenty one, not because of politics, but because of legitimate reasons after an internal review by the banks anti money laundering team.
Speaker 11: I don't know about you, Molly. I mean, first off, everyone knows Donald Trump is really on the up and up as a businessman, so I don't know why this would have fled. Oh wait, they fagged it because he had over three hundred checking accounts apparently, and it triggered this automatic review in their software. Is it targeting him personally because he was a bad person. It was targeting him because the software showed that he was engaged in patterns that they associated with money laundering. And the irony is they are required to do this under federal law.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 11: They don't get a vote on this. They don't get It's not like it's like they can say, yeah, well this guy's a nice guy. We're not going to cover this. They know your customer law. If there are signs of money laundering, they have to either investigate it or close them, and they closed them.
Speaker 2: I also think what.
Speaker 1: Is so relevant about this story and important is that Donald Trump. They the bank made this revelation in a filing as a response to a lawsuit from Donald Trump because he said they debanked him for political reasons.
Speaker 11: The performative nature of all Trump lawsuits. I think this is my third Wilson rule. Everything Trump got just dies. Everybody hit said cruise. And the third one is no Trump lawsuit survives discovery, right because now that the bank is going to say, okay, well, if you want us to show why we think you were money laundering, we will reveal in court why we think you were money laundering. And Trump's people, I promise you they're gonna go h haamahammahammahamda nevermind, right, it always it is. It is like all these cases where that when the rubber hits the road, when the facts matter, when the discovery is going to embarrass the living hell out of them. You know. It's why they dropped the charges against the Olympian this week after he allegedly personally destroyed the reflecting pool. It's why they just can't hold up on these these bs defamation cases, like against the BBC and other things. They there's just a sense that that these lawsuits are are like a lottery ticket for him. Maybe sometimes somebody will just collapse and go, okay, we'll give you money.
Speaker 1: Well, and that it's interesting because it's like it has certainly worked with some people, right, law firms and edu, SHC, ABC, A lot of places have settled.
Speaker 2: You know. Trump has been able.
Speaker 1: To censor certain groups, right the lawyers, the some universities some but ultimately, if you push back at all, it all falls apart. And like the reflecting pool is a great example, right, they drove the cars on the reflecting pool, like clearly, you know, like there's a reason people don't drive tons of cars on things like that, and you know, and then they hired Trump hired this no bid contract for Greenwater, right, Greenwater.
Speaker 2: The guy who looks like a who looks like looks.
Speaker 11: Who looks like he was rejected from the Sopranos for looking too mobbed up.
Speaker 2: That's right, that guy.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he's and he turns out he's a mar a Lago member. Turns out Yeah, shockingly, he's a mar Alago member. And he's also more importantly, like, this was a no bid contract. And you know, I think, like, so, there's also this other thing that's happening right now besides the Trump money laundering fiasco, is that Trump is also the true social is selling this ability to get Donald Trump's truth earlier so you can insider trade Rogie, so.
Speaker 11: You can front run the market by signing up for one hundred thousand dollars a month of service that is going to give hedge funds and private equity guys and other people who want to do short trading on Trump's coming tweets. And look, if we had a securities an exchange commission that was functional, he would have already been indicted for trying to do it. And I will say this, I think There are probably plenty of companies out there that will do this, that will sign up for this.
Speaker 4: They will make a ton of money on.
Speaker 2: It, and they'll have to pay it back like with.
Speaker 11: The and when there's an SEC again, and there will be folks in for sure three years.
Speaker 2: Maybe three months. If Democrats flip back the.
Speaker 11: House, you know, yeah, you were going to see you were going to see an absolute bloodbath. If you're paying one hundred thousand dollars a month for this, you better be ready to pay one hundred million dollars in legal fees and penalties. Are in penalties and legal costs to defend yourself on it when there is a recapitulation or reconstitution of the power of the SEC or eventually a Department of Justice not run by Donald Trump's personal attorney.
Speaker 1: That's right, Noah agreed. And I think we're going to see quite a lot of that. And I think and that's the real question is when you look at this moment. But I just I want to turn now because what we saw this week was so many bad polls for Trump.
Speaker 2: Like this morning, as I was.
Speaker 1: Walking home, I was looking at a tweet from Jonathan and Leamir that talks about how Donald Trump is actually is. There is no president in like basically since the nineteen forties who has been this unpopular.
Speaker 11: Molly, I'm I have a big piece coming out tomorrow on Substack about this. I spent the morning writing, going through my personal archive of numbers and looking online for all these back you know, all these previous moments in electoral politics, and that one lesson that comes screaming out. It's like in two thousand and six when Bush's numbers and they were better than Trump's. Right now, they were bad, but they were still higher than Trump's are right now, and high gas prices in an unpopular war in the Middle East and high growing inflation. We couldn't win even with great candidates and good messages back then. On the Republican side, in twenty ten, we couldn't lose even with morons and widows, right and so so right now you a very unhappy political dynamic for Trump and the Republicans is that the Democrats have a lot of good candidates. Trump's numbers, which define where Republicans fall, are in the basement and going lower, and the political climate is absolutely brutal now and you're seeing the real breakout. Democratic voter intensity is up, up up the independence you know this long slow slide independence. When Trump won office, he won independence in twenty twenty four. Yeah, they by the end of last year were about two to one against him. Now there and most of this year they've been about two and a half to three to one against him. Now they're closing in on four to one against Trump. Yeah, this is an electoral nightmare for them. They're watching Texas slip away, They're watching North Carolina slip away, They're watching Alaska slip away. Iowa is not feeling great for them anymore. They are really looking at a bad, bad, bad day. And it all comes down to the fact that they define themselves as Trump's party, and when Trump is this unpopular, they pay the price.
Speaker 2: Because there's no one else.
Speaker 1: But also the Texas. I want you to talk about the Texas pulling because what I think people don't understand is that Beto never pulled better. Then, so explain to us this story here, because better never pulled better than Ted Cruz.
Speaker 11: Right, Look, Beto was a talented candidate. Is a talented guy like that.
Speaker 2: It has done a lot to flip Texas. If Texas f I was done.
Speaker 4: I was just getting to that.
Speaker 11: He has built a lot of the foundational things that have let Texas Democrats survive in the most hostile political environment right all credit to Taller. Rico has done two things I think that only he could have pulled off in Texas so far. And look, he's got a lot of work to do. It's still got still a long way between nown election days, still over ninety days. But he has done two things. He has relentlessly focused on the economy corruption. He has tied those two together in the minds of Texas voters, and Ken Paxton is the poster boy for for both right for economy and corruption. But he's also been able to go out and walk away from a lot of the culture war bullshit. They've tried to hang on it. Okay, all the he's trends, he's a vegan, all the all the shit. Okay, you know what, anybody who's going to vote based on those things, those lies, was already voting for Ken Paxton. They're only doing base maintenance in the GOP in Texas right now because they and even Greg Abbott, a four term governor who has much better numbers than Ken Paxton, Hussa is three points behind him in a poll the other day, and you know that's that one like if you're Ken Paxton, like somebody's walking over your grave, you're feeling the the the you know that he b gb feeling of like.
Speaker 10: What's going on?
Speaker 11: And look, these people have they have done this to themselves, Molly, they they have bought this problem for themselves.
Speaker 1: It is so interesting to me when we look at Texas, so Texas, Alaska, Iowa.
Speaker 2: You know, we've had Rob Sands on this podcast. We've had Josh Turrek like part of the other thing.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna make you talk about this with me because nobody else will. Is that one of the things that I'm struck by is that in the spots where the Democratic brand really sucks, like Nebraska, you have independence running so you don't have like, you know, we spend a lot of time in cable news world talking about like you know, Mon Damie and Democrats getting too woke, but like Dan Osborne is a great example of not being woke but being the thing that is not the Democratic brand but can still win working class voters.
Speaker 2: In the great state of Nebraska.
Speaker 11: This is there used to be a trick that Republicans pulled, okay, and we would let the candidates be the right fit for the state or the district. We knew. And he's a bad example on one level, but it's a legitimate example. Rudy was able to win the mayor's race in New York first in ninety three and then in ninety seven in part because he was pro choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a stager, was pro choice.
Speaker 11: In California, you had moderate Republicans. I elected a pro a pro environmental Republican governor in Vermont a couple of times, Jim Douglass, who believed in climate change. Way back when it was like if you said climate change is the Republican, you were off the reservation. Yeah, now that's flipped. Now the Democrats are figuring out, Oh, you can't win Florida with a raging mom dommy type or a squad type. You gotta go with the David Jolly type. You got to go in Texas. You can't win it back with a guy who's going to be out there talking about you know, the center and God bless Bato, but the center pain was gun control in Texas. I'm sorry it doesn't work, but cats are getting this lesson figured out. You got to run the right person in the right race.
Speaker 2: But you also you can't. You have to run someone charismatic. And that is the.
Speaker 11: Flora, authentic and charismatic.
Speaker 2: And and look you can't, David really is that?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah?
Speaker 11: And and and also in Iowa, Sand is a I mean, folks, if you haven't gone out and watched Rob sand talk to an audience, he couldn't chill up your spine. He's as good or better than Tallarico. And people are underscoring that race. Sand Turk and three congressional seats are in play in Iowa, folks, a state Donald Trump should have felt very comfortable being able to hold onto.
Speaker 2: That ten points.
Speaker 1: And also more importantly, you know who got off the bench and got and did an.
Speaker 11: Ask Barack Obama a great little lad They.
Speaker 1: Did and yep, and he said, the most meaningful thing to me as a politician has been winning Iowa.
Speaker 2: So I think part of it too.
Speaker 1: And we saw this with Nebraska's first district to get really nerdy when Republicans wanted to take away that first district, they became very furious. And Iowa is a state that matters and they often get treated like shit. For example, the guy who's running against Rob sand lives in Kansas is this city.
Speaker 11: He flies his plane from Kansas to Iowa, just like Tommy Tupperville lives in my state of Florida and commutes to Alabama. Yeah, by the way, Mine, I want to mention one other stick because I left this off my list. Folks, I think if you're the Republican party of the state that should scare the crap out of you. The most right now is Ohio because Shared Brown is coming back with a vengeance. You've got Amy Acton, who is coming up? Who's Ramaswami's campaign is collapsing. I've heard in the last few days that Trump is about to pull his support out of Ramaswami. He was never he was always lukewarm about him. That he's not going to bother with going there or helping him. And you've got Max Miller, remember of Congress, who should not be in Congress. He should be in jail if the documents are correct. Yes, who threw hot boiling water on his wife and put.
Speaker 1: It the allegations and the allegation is that he broke the daughter's coming.
Speaker 11: He broke it, Yeah, and attacked their daughter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awful, right, and that is the Republican Party, right.
Speaker 11: But Ohio, if that super deep red state of Ohio starts to turn, it is a signal of something much bigger in the country, not only for twenty six but for twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. But it's also like, if Democrats win back the House and they flip the Senate, it is going to be just even if they don't, even if they just get close with this Senate. But I actually I still think, like if you MATHI through, I just read this thing that Fetterman's maybe not going to switch.
Speaker 2: So again, who knows.
Speaker 1: But still, I mean, I think this is I think this is.
Speaker 2: Really a big deal.
Speaker 11: I think it's a huge deal, Molly, and I think that in part the reaction of trying to hide the corpse of Mitch McConnell, or or hide what's going on with Mitch McConnell.
Speaker 2: I think is going on with Mitch mcconne.
Speaker 11: So we have some information a couple of weeks ago that he was in a special acute cardiac rehab facility at GW Hospital. But what I here's my guess this is I'm not based on any insider knowledge. My guess is he's had some sort of cardiac or stroke event, is completely incapacitated, and they are waiting for the deadline to pass to announce it. And it will go down in history as a great failing of the American media because there's nobody twenty seven interests on the ground for the GW hospital and nobody's managed to sneak up there and do any reporting at all. Nobody no more in DC has seemed very motivated to find out about this in the way that they wanted to know every single thing about Joe Biden's health when he was experiencing some problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, yeah, yeah, no, no, for sure, for sure. I also want to ask you when we look at this moment here, what do you think when you look at the House and the Senate?
Speaker 2: What are the Senate races? House races?
Speaker 1: You feel like people are still not are sleeping on besides Iowa.
Speaker 11: Well, look, I think I think we've got to watch Maine again because you know the Platiner Brew Haha. You know a lot of people Von and the Democratic Party it's over, it's over, it's over. Well, Tony's actually posting up some pretty good numbers. And I think that Collins is in a tougher position than she was in a weird way because Platner was an unknown quantity with bad oppo and Tony is a known quantity with you know, maybe he's got a temper, but I don't think that's a disqualifier now. And and I think that race is when people got to put their eyes back on. And I think her people had a premature victory lap when they got rid of Yeah, I think so Jim.
Speaker 2: I mean I also think, I mean.
Speaker 1: She is the kaiser soosee of all of this, Like she has managed to survive. I mean I've seen polls with her, you know, down six and then she comes out to win.
Speaker 2: So but I do think believe me.
Speaker 11: In twenty twenty one of her people called me on election Nai was like livid with me, like so angry because our last part, you know, you get you bastards did this to her and Eda da da da, And he's like, we were eight points ahead and you know two months ago, and now we last night we finished six, six or seven points back, and you bastards did this, and well she won the next day. She blew us out right right. So I don't know how that. I don't know how that happened, but you know, and she's hadn't she said, six more years of Trump since then, And it's all.
Speaker 1: So there's that she's signed the death warrant for Roe v. Wade by voting for Kavanaugh. But I also think no Gorsic by voting for Gorsich. But I also think part of it it is this she has managed to really be this kind of She's been able to be this last like Trump, but not Trump right, not piss him off the way a corner in her Cassidy has, but not be trumpy. And I just don't think I think that world is over. And then I also think Troy has this thing, which is he really does seem like he's of the place. And and I.
Speaker 11: Was I saying Tony, I think I'm saying Tony Troy. He does come across as a genuine downies kind of main guy. You know, he's rough on the edge.
Speaker 10: A little bit.
Speaker 11: He's not He's not the smooth, modulated politician that that you know a lot of people are. And it's okay, there's nothing wrong with that in this day and age at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think I think that it's two things, right. I think it's that he's he and like even the opo that they have on him, they're like, he married his second cousin.
Speaker 2: It's like that part of Maine, that's what it is. Man Like, there's two hundred people in that town.
Speaker 11: Listen, if marrying your second cousin was was illegal, the marriage rate in the state of Florida would drop significantly.
Speaker 4: I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I already married his first cousin.
Speaker 11: Okay, folks.
Speaker 1: But I also think it's like he's fifth generation Maine. He's like a genuine and and he's a longer and he really does sound like a manor.
Speaker 11: He's a manor. He's a real guy and and and look, authenticity overcomes a lot of a lot of elite qualms about people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 11: It is why if you would con if Platner didn't have all of the stuff right his the sense of connection he was building with people in Maine would have would have been a blowout. It would have been it would have been a knockout blow And I think this partly reflects the fact that they realize in this day and age. Susan Collins can't just fake being the moderate. Yeah, you can't just pretend anymore. The world knows everything about everything, and it's hard for her to do that.
Speaker 10: I'm going to be this and then in the middle.
Speaker 11: I'm not gonna get but she never does. She always votes for Trump in the end ninety nine percent of the time, So people get it. I'm watching that race. I think we've got to watch the Katie Hobbs race out there. And Republicans are starting to think that that's a place they can pour a lot of money into. I don't think it's gonna work because I think Andy Biggs is a lunatic and a rabid creature. Yeah, but I've heard some Republicans I was saying, that's one we can do, and that's our future. And good luck.
Speaker 2: Rick Wilson, Molly drunk Fast. Will you come back?
Speaker 4: I sure will.
Speaker 1: Oliver Darcy is the founder of Status News. Welcome, Welcome, Oliver Darcy.
Speaker 10: I'm Allin'm excited to be here.
Speaker 1: You write this amazing media newsletter called Status the Media.
Speaker 2: There's a a lot of shit going down.
Speaker 1: I can't decide whether we should start with what Barry's done or what Bearry wants let's talk about the merger, because it's really interesting. I would love you to start by sort of painting the picture of what's happening here with Paramount merger.
Speaker 10: Sure, it's complex, but it's simple at the same time. So Paramount, which is the owner, it's a media conglomerate in itself, not only owns Paramount Pictures, which I think a lot of people are familiar with, but it owns a bunch of cable networks, and it owns CBS, which means it owns CBS News, and it controls programs like sixty Minutes. Paramount is headed by a man named David Allison, and he would like to purchase another media conglomerate called Warner brother Discovery, and that company owns HBO Max, it owns Warner Brothers Pictures. It also owns a bunch of cable networks, including CNN, And this has caused a lot of controversy for a few reasons, but one is that they need to make this deal happen. They need a clearance from regulators, both federal and state and international regulators. And to get clear into the federal regulators, which is Donald Trump's Department of Justice, they have to clear this. They needed Donald Trump basically to sign off on this, and so you've seen over the past year David Ellison have a very cozy relationship with Donald Trump. And one of the things that has been obvious is that CBS News under David Ellison has been a lot closer to the administration than a lot of people would like to see. And there's been reporting that if David Ellison were to control CNN, they would make changes to make Donald Trump happy. And the other thing to keep in mind is that Donald Trump, you know, he is not a Paramount plus viewer, right, He is not watching Landman on Paramount. He's probably not watching the Tom Cruise movies. What Donald Trump cares about and what he watches is the news. So if you want to make Donald Trump happy, one he wants CBS News in particularly sixty minutes, to be in his court. And two, he has said out loud that any deal that involves Warner brother Discovery needs to involve CNN, it needs to involve CNN changing ownership hands. And so this entire deal really has hinged on how Donald Trump is portrayed by these two news outlets and what David Ellison would do with CNN, should it be under his control? Because the only way Donald Trump is signing off on this deal is if he likes the way he's being portrayed by CBS News and if he feels that CNN is going to be more favorable to him, should he give his blessing. Otherwise this deal is not going through. And Donald Trump's DJ did sign off on the deal. The only problem is and perhaps David Ellison and his team at Paramount didn't anticipate this, But the States Office also have a say in this, and so you've seen the states, a dozen of them, led by California, follow lawsuits.
Speaker 2: Rom Bonta right.
Speaker 10: Rob Bonta, Yes. The Attorney general there while the lawsuit to block this steal on antitrust grounds, arguing that these two companies consolidating is not good for consumers and it's not good for the industries either.
Speaker 2: I have a couple of questions.
Speaker 1: But the first is sky Dance, which is this big company which David Allison is heading, which is right, one of the investors has money from the Qatars and from other Middle Eastern entities. Aren't American news channels not supposed to take money from foreign entities.
Speaker 10: This is actually very true, Meli. I mean, it would be a scandal in any other era if CNN could be partly owned by the Saudis, which literally just directed the brutal murder of a journalist only a few years ago. But I think it speaks to how much corruption has been involved domestically with this deal with the Ellisons, that that is sort of a side note. Like, by the way, not only will David Ellison on this, not only will Donald Trump probably get what he wants, but all these Middle Eastern countries which don't have the best record with the press, particularly Saudi Arabia, are also going to be part owners in CNN, and they're also going to be part owners of CBS News. That is wild, That is that would be unacceptable. I mean, if you had gone back in time ten years ago, the idea that these outlets, particularly seen it and because of its global reach, could be involved in a deal like this and own a company like this would have been grounds for not approving the deal just to begin with. And you've seen some congressional Democrats in the Senate and I believe in the House express alarm about this. It's just that the federal regulators have not really done anything, and people would say that's because Donald Trump controls the DOJ. He has a tight grip on that DOJ, and he wants this deal to go through because he really I mean, if you think about what Donald Trump wants, he has been at war with CNN for over a decade. There is nothing more that he would like than to breach the walls of CNN and to have outlet in the hands of an ally, and that is you know what he would get if this deal goes through.
Speaker 2: First of all, I think.
Speaker 1: You're right about the canceling things Trump doesn't like, and a good example of this is the Cherry Redstone canceled Colbert in order to get regulatory approval from the Trump administration. I mean, that was a very clear decision to try to get this together, and it worked, right or at least, I mean, that's why they can't They'll say they canceled Colbert for other reasons, but clearly that was part of it. So I wonder if you could talk about the way this deal is structured. First of all, it was a lot of money put in by the Allisons, and then the Allisons also backstopped the money, right so now Oracle's worth quite a lot less than it was when this deal started. So there is this scenario even though if they lose an investor, our Oracle could be on the hook. There are a lot of different scenarios Oracles on the hook for a lot of money. Can you talk us through those?
Speaker 10: Yeah? And also keep in mind that you know these Middle Eastern countries, given the war and the pressures on their pocketbooks. I mean, they think there's a lot of pressure on the people backing this deal financially. And the way this deal works is that if this deal does not close, which means it does not get regulatory approval by September thirtieth, David Allison and Larry Ellison ultimately, because this is this is his money, they're on the hook for what it's called a ticking fee, which means they have to pay hundreds of millions of dollars every quarter to Warner Brothers shareholders if this deal does not close. It's a line in the deal they had put to win over this deal from Netflix, So there was a if you go back. Netflix had struck a deal with one of brothers, Discovery, to buy the HBO Max streamer to buy the movie Studio, and that deal was done, and there was a lot of concern you know, from from the media industry or from you know people, There are a lot of worries or whatever that Netflix was not going to get regulatory approval from on anti trust ground to close this deal. Because Netflix is the number one streamer buying the number three streamer, that would present some legitimate anti trust concerns. So David Ellison came along and he said, actually, not only do we think our deal is better, but we'll sweeten the pot. We're so confident that we can close this deal when Netflix can't that if we don't do it by September thirtieth, we will pay you guys this extra fee and every day that this deal is not closed, we will keep paying one of Brother Discovery shareholders because we're confident we can close the deal. And they were probably confident they can close the deal because they thought they had Donald Trump, and they did in his pocket right like he was going to approve the deal. They did not anticipate the States doing to block the deal. So long story short, if this deal does not close, which is not going to close, it seems like by September thirtieth, maybe it will, but it doesn't seem like it's going to close.
Speaker 1: Both the Allisons and the Democratic Ags have said this that it's not going to close by September thirtieth.
Speaker 10: They will owe a lot of money to one of the Discovery shareholders, and the longer this drags out, the more money they're gonna owe. And that's important because as you said, you know, Oracle's stock is not doing as well as it once was, right, It's down quite a bit in the last year, and there are a lot of financial pressures on these Middle Eastern countries as Donald Trump's warn Iran rages on, and so, you know, I think there's maybe less of an appetite to eat a lot of this cost if they can't get this deal approved. And so it's just a matter of time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: They've said basically they'll they'll give it till next next summer. But if it's not closed by next summer, it doesn't seem like this deal is going through. And I think a lot of that has to do with, you know, their willingness. They they don't want to spend capital just waiting.
Speaker 1: Around if it doesn't close. The Allisons are on the hook for seven billion dollars. Right, there are all sorts of penalties filled into the because of having this second bidder, the Allisons have agreed to a contract the not as good as it would have been had there been just one vedder, and so the Warner shareholders get a lot of stuff that they might not otherwise get. Right, Like a big penalty fee explains that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a breakup fee, and that's not uncommon when organizations are merging. Usually there is some sort of breakup feel like if it doesn't go through, we will owe you this much money. So yes, not only do they owe money because of the ticking fee, but if it doesn't go through at all, they have this big breakup fee that they have to pay shareholders. So you know they're going to be paying money to Warner by the Discovery shareholders. And a lot of that is because you know, they had a deal with Netflix and that deal was scuttled to make way for the new suitor with Paramount, and so you know, like they want their money, Like you know, they they've put this out themselves in a position. They said no to Netflix, and so that deals out the window could come back, but it's out the window for now. This is all because David Allison was so confident that he could close the deal because of Donald Trump. I think a lot of these hinges on on Donald Trump granting clearance for this deal. The DOJ reportedly, you know, senior leaders of the DJ according to the Wall Street Journal, over road concerns that prosecutors had that career prosecutors had with this deal and just cleared it. This is according to the Wall Street Journal. And you wonder why that would happen. It's again because Donald Trump likely wants to steal to close like he's he's the guy that's that's that's making these calls. He's using government, you know, in a very weaponized way. It's not surprising that he would give a favor out to an ally. But Donald Trump does not control all the states. And you've seen the states be successful too. We should know in other cases where the federal government has granted clearance and the states have said wait a second. And the most notable example is Nextstar in Tegna. These two local station giants, and Next Star has done everything they can to win Donald Trump's favorite, talking about how they're not fake news and all this other you know, using in all the right words to woo Donald Trump. His DOJ cleared that deal, California and other states sued, and even after it closed, the judge has kind of put a hold on it and said, don't integrate any further. We're going to play this out and see if this is actually legal.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's super interesting. So just give me a sense of what happens now.
Speaker 1: It's put on hold for a year, right, isn't this deal put there's some explain where the courts have left it.
Speaker 10: Well, they need to do a trial, so it's on hold until a trial is completed. And Paramounts obviously going to argue that we need to have this trial as soon as possible. It's be speedy. They said, basically, if this deal's not done by next summer, then we're at the end of the line, and I guess they're out, but they want a trial later this year. I'm not an anti trust lawyer, so I don't know you know how to analyze this. I can only look at what you know. Tell you what other anti trust experts are telling us. When we asked a wide array of them, or my calling Natalie Korak, she messaged a bunch of experts, and you know, the general consensus is that paramounts not you know, they don't have maybe the best case here, like they could very well lose a trial. I think, if you know, I'm a betting man, If I was betting, I would bet that David Ellison and his team at Paramount are putting together a potential settlement deals or some offers, trying to figure out a way to get this approved without going to trial. But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Barry Weiss is in charge of CBS.
Speaker 1: Now. CBS is actually not that much stuff. It's only a few news programs but the biggest and it's just the nightly news, which she has put her ideological spin on and and the numbers tell us about the ratings there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So Barry Wise has come into CBS News and she's made a lot of changes pretty quickly. You know, she hasn't even been there for a year, and she's upended a number of the shows. Most notably, I think is sixty Minutes, but let's put that aside for now. The first change she made was to hire or to tap Tony Deakoppel, who is a morning show anchor on the CBS Mornings and move them from that show to the Evening News, and this has been a disaster in the ratings. And that's typically how you judge the success of television news programs, right, Maybe you judge them based on how many Emmys they win or how many awards they win. That's not really how a lot of these shows are judge, at least commercially. It's about the ratings, and the ratings were bad before that put Tony in, Like it made sense why they would want to revamp the show. CBS has always been in third place. But the latest version of the CBS Any News feature two hosts, it wasn't very good. It was not doing well in the ratings. It actually collapsed in the ratings, and we had covered that, and so it made sense you want to put a new anchor in. But Tony has done terrible, and you know, you're seeing historic low ratings for the CBS Evening News, historic low ratings, like the worst ratings of the twenty first century. Literally, And not only should we say CBS Evening News isn't doing well, but the Morning Show, which is led by a Gail King, which is down a host because she moved Tony de Kopple from the morning show to the evening news. They're posting the worst ratings in the show's entire history. So you look at the backdrop for how Barrier Wiss is coming in to revamp sixty Minutes, and people at CBS News right look like you don't have a good track record, Barry. The shows that you've meddled with, the shows that you've put your stamp on, are really not doing well at all. I mean they're performing abysmally. And not only is that the case, but you have no television news experience Berry like she used to apparently boast that she didn't own a TV. The people she's hired have no television news experience. So her two deputies, they come from a print background. They don't have any new televisions experience.
Speaker 2: Who are her two deputies.
Speaker 10: There's a man named Charles Farrell. He came from the Wall Street Journal. He's the managing editor of CBS News. Then there is Edit Raumstein, he's the deputy editor at CBS News. These are typically actually not even television titles, but she's implemented it, so we'll go with it. And then you know her had a talent. I believe you know one of them, at least a key executive came from.
Speaker 2: Substack right and then Nick Belton.
Speaker 10: And then Nick built into the executive producer of sixty minutes. Now, he is a print guy. He had a career Vanity Fair and he's done some documentaries, but for the most part, he's a print guy. He's not a broadcast news guy. And so people at sixteen minutes are just worried from a competence level, from a production standpoint level, like these are people who don't know how to make television news and it's complicated, Molly. Like I was talking to someone earlier today, I have a print background, okay, but I worked at CNN for a while, but I have I mostly print, right, Like I do you print? I do YouTube. When I was at CNN, you know, I was learning how to make packages for television, and that is a totally different skill than writing a column for the New York Times than writing a print story. Like I will tell you just to get the voice right where it's the voiceover, the pictures on the screening and all that stuff that is way more complicated and takes way more talent in training than you would imagine. It's called your tracking voice, and I was being coached. They had a coach at CNN that would come in and he would talk to you about how to improve your tracking voice. And you think, Oliver, that is so easy. You just talk into a microphone. And then you watch it back and you're like, wow, that is crunch. It doesn't sound anything like you know when the professionals do it like. It is an art. Just to do a tracking voice. To have to narrate that, that takes literally dozens and dozens of hours of training. You know, at TNN, I was doing it. I would have an hour every week or so and they would come in and having read scripts and they would give you notes and you would again you would watch it back and think, wow, do I really sound like that? And why is it so bad? But that just to track the piece. When you write a television news piece, it's different. I would write a script and then I would come to say it and be like, that's not That's not how you talk in real life, So that won't work, so you have to rewrite it. Anyway. Long story short, making TV this is These are for easy quick packages. Making a thirteen minute CBS crazy investigative package that's suited, that's fit for sixty minutes, the crown Jewel a broadcast news television. It takes a lot of skills that a lot of these people just don't have or might not even think of right and so from a competence level, these people are worried. And then there's the politics of it all, which is that you've had Scott Pelly, you've had Cecilia Vega, you've had Sharon al Fonsi. They've all come out, those were all fired. They're all fired by Barry Wis the way. But they've all come out and said that she is inserting political bias or misinformation into their stories, and that is causing alarm inside this show team. And so you know, and then you think about the backdrop this is happening on again. Remember the backdrop is that David Ellison, the owner of Paramounts, the owner of CBS News, needs to make sure that Donald Trump is happy with him so that he can get a deal across the finish line. So it's hard to ignore that context. Now, maybe they would say there's nothing related, you know, we don't talk to Dave. I'm sure that would be what to say. But like at the same time, it's difficult to avoid looking at these two things. They're not not related, right. And the only thing again, when you think about it, that Donald Trump cares about when it comes to Paramount's entire portfolio is he cares about how he's covered on really a couple of programs, and one of them is sixty Minutes. He sued sixty minutes. If you remember, like that was one of the shows you sued.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 12: Oliver Darcy, thank you, thank you, Molly, No moment, Wick Wilson, Molly John Fast.
Speaker 2: It is time for that moment of moment, that.
Speaker 11: Beautiful moment we share every week of your fuckery. I don't know about you, but Mama want to fuckerated this week's amazing Wall Street Journal article about how the Republicans are maintaining this cash advantage in part because major donors have now said about the DNC that it stands for it do not contribute, which is.
Speaker 1: Ironic because remember Trump had that thing where they called the DN I do not invite.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Telsea Gabbard was never allowed to come to any cabinet meetings because she was.
Speaker 2: Dn I do not invite.
Speaker 1: Is the problem created by Democrats for Democrats hurting Democrats.
Speaker 11: You know, this is one of the things that voters want to see. And I've said this phrase a lot in the South. If you're at a fight, you want to see some fight in the dog and they don't feel that fight coming from Ken Martin and just an honest answer. You very affable guy, very nice guy. But I think a lot of Democratic donors want a wartime consigliary, right. They want somebody who's going to go and be an absolute fighter and he's sort of captive to the Democratic DC consultocracy, and the donors are just like, nope, we're done. Look they're giving lots of money to the candidates, they're not giving lots of money to the party, right.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm telling you this is such a good example of like a problem that is created. I mean, like there's no world in which any of this should be happening like Democrats. And you know, I just want to say one to think the polling when you look at the polling on this, like all people want when you look at Democrats, why they're mad at their own party is because they want them to fight. That's it.
Speaker 2: It's not even ideological.
Speaker 11: Just go out and fucking fight. It's the simplest thing in the world. They want you to fight, and they don't want sternly warded. They want people going upside the head of the bad guys. It's just that simple.
Speaker 2: And here we are, and here we are, Quick Wilson.
Speaker 10: Why we drove fast. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.