Speaker 1: It's the VC Show. It's the VC Show. It's the VC Show.
Speaker 2: It's the due Let's TV.
Speaker 1: Show, Season two. Yeah, we back again, got the world coone in there for show. So though with tell of friends, my heart got me on the for us Slam Dunstan whistle blow on. Then kick your feet up so you can listen to gee. It's the VC Show. It's the VC Show. It's the VC Show. It's the v CZT.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the VC Show. I'm your host, Vince Carter, and we have a lot of great basketball to talk about today. Two great game sevens Eastern and Western Conference Finals. I'm gonna talk some W n B A and much much more. And oh yeah, I have some special guests coming through. So kick your feet up. The VC Show starts now.
Speaker 3: Hold on.
Speaker 2: You got what they wanted, all right, guys, I have some special special guests, really close friends. You know when you talk about you know, we all have a group chat. Everybody has a group chat and it's all your friends or maybe you have your work your your your work chat or whatnot. And I wanted to bring a couple of the guys from the chat. The other guys couldn't make it. So we're gonna we'll reconvene, We'll have the big group on and and really have basketball talk this way because I feel like outside of always hearing me and and some some other NBA athletes, it's always cool to bring in guys who have played the game, uh, who are around it, talk it and give their opinions along with mine. And I think it kind of makes for good conversation because everybody can relate on different levels and and you know, and enlightened because it's always like I know how I see the game, and I know Joe and and Ao because we've all had these conversations before, and I value their opinions, whether sometimes their right or dead wrong, but it makes a good conversation, so enjoy. So I'm gonna start here. My first guest one of my best friends. We've been friends since childhood. He's now the head coach at our album Model Mainland High School back to back state playoff appearances as a coach twenty three and twenty four, back to back Coach of the Year in Belusha County, that's where we're from. In Daytona Beach twenty three and twenty four back to back five star Coach of the Year also twenty three and twenty four, So the last two years has been pretty darn good for him. And as a player, he also went what back to back state championships we won in the ninety five and once I left he wanted again as a senior in ninety six. Played college football and basketball at BCU. That would be Bethune Cookman University, Hell Wildcats, played in the CFL for the Toronto Argonauts, played in the played arena football for the Toronto phantom And he's also Mainland High School's own Joe Giddings. What's up, Joe? How you doing everything? Well? You know, Steve Harvey gives his introductions, but you know, I try to do my best.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, man.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, and my next guest, all right, what did we start? Okay? Here my next guest. Grammy Award winner in twenty eighteen for Best Rap Album for Cardi B's Invasion of Privacy. Hold On six time Grammy nominated producer hold On fifteen Billboard number one awards, three billion streams, seventeen million records soul. He has worked with artists like you Know Lil Wayne on the song John a. Marion, Let's talk Beyonce, bout Allen, Chris Brown, Bryson Tiller, Eric Belager, Trey Songs, Doja, Cat, Cardi B and Mex Stallion on wh I know you guys listen to that? You know it plays everywhere? Yes that here's the guy who did that right here, Ao himself, just to name a few people. His first placement, it was in two thousand and nine working with Soldier Boy. If you guys think back Soldier Boy in two thousand and nine. Yeah, you know the rest. His first Grammy nomination two years later, in twenty eleven, he collabed with The Orlando Magic to refresh their theme song, which is so fire and if you haven't listened to it, go to their go to their page and check it out. This is who did it right here. Shout out to Ao Lake Brentley's own Austin Owens aka a Yo the producer. Thank you guys. Yeah man, thank you guys for showing up. Man. I appreciate this. I feel like we're gonna have a good time. So we're gonna get get started, to get moving. I'm gonna start with Joe first, and Joe, I think back to you know our years obviously growing up and Ao obviously you could chime in. I know you've heard these stories. But I think back to that and I think about losing in the state playoffs in ninety four, which was my junior year. What do you briefly, what do you remember about that?
Speaker 4: First thing? I remember that we all went ball, couldn't hear?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kept it that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we all went could I hair? Like we could I hair? That's the first thing. But I know another thing that I remember is that pain. Man, It was pain to lose, even though you know it was it was a stage for us, the big stage for us from coming from a little from all time being on that stage, but that was that was a hurt feeling.
Speaker 2: And do you happen to remember in the locker room afterwards, remember what I said, we'll be back. Yeah, So we were sitting in there and everybody, I mean, we're all mad and pissed off, and you know, blah blah blah, crying the whole nine. And I just I looked around the locker room. I like, man, sad, Now we'll be back. And in nineteen ninety five we were able to come back. And obviously fulfill our dream h if. I mean, it's tough enough to get the joke and speak on that for sure, But it's tough enough to get there one time, but to do it back to back years. And that was a goal of mine, particularly my senior year. I didn't want to go out when I felt like we were good enough the year before. But I think we learned a valuable lesson on sticking to sticking to the script. I'm not saying we played out of our character, but I mean, you know, we went ball. The whole team went ball. I mean, everybody made a sacrifice for the good of the team though. So it was we were together. It's just it just didn't work out. And then the next year we got there. I vowed, you know, to I was going to do my part, and it was a team collabed effort. I told you go ahead.
Speaker 4: A lot of people don't know that. There's something. My sophomore year, your junior year, the year that we lost you was ash damn the twenty seven points a game, points a game, man, And then you was like, we told he was gonna be back. The next year, you you average.
Speaker 2: Less, average less points. Yeah, that's points more rebounds and assists.
Speaker 4: More rebounds asision, we have aged more and then we want a championship. You made a sacrifice for us. It was like, hey, I'm I'm gonna do this right here. I'm a rebob and more you got more assistant. Then we took our game to another level, and hey, we want a championship.
Speaker 2: And he you played basketball too for a brief second, right, a very broch you don't want to talk about.
Speaker 5: Literally a brief second.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, okay, Well, well Joe, what was uh what's a memorable moment for you in your high school career?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, I'll tell you this. Uh your senior year. My junior year, we played against Launch Park. Ah, god, I had twenty eight points and twelve. I had twenty eight twelve that game. I had a fast, great dunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah I remember that.
Speaker 4: And besides that, and then Ocean Center when I.
Speaker 2: Have dunk and our right against our rivals.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, the people there, you know those about two of my moments.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm gonna I'm going to ask you this because I know your your memory is pretty good. This kind of ties into this guy over here. What do you remember about our game against l Branley, God.
Speaker 4: To which one, Like that's that gave we have like seventeen.
Speaker 2: The birthday the birthday, yeah, that was the birthday one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like twenty seven, seventeen, seventeen or seventeen. About seventeen blocks.
Speaker 2: Was well sins like, yeah.
Speaker 4: I know, yeah, I seventeen blocked. You just sometimes use his blocking shots even with you know.
Speaker 2: They go, you know, going, yeah, that's what coach. You got mad at me?
Speaker 4: You went crazy back, man, I was crazy.
Speaker 2: My bad? You know, yeah, you you weren't there, so you know, you know, I'm sure you heard about. We're gonna keep it moving up. Hey Joe, you know, I know you've coached for for how how many years now? Where?
Speaker 4: Twenty years?
Speaker 2: Twenty years? So can you name some of the talented players that you've coached against? Uh that is that are recognizable names male or female? Because for those who don't know, he also coached women the women's team as well back in the day. Can you name a few that you've coached against that you were like, he has some.
Speaker 4: The most recent one was sinceketball from Orlando he played. He's at Utah right now.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Then he gave us like thirty five forty and our gym he was that's the most recent one.
Speaker 2: Eat or what's up? You didn't pay against the big fella from he was in the final four? Oh no, he's a im.
Speaker 4: Didn't play him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't pay him that year?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So sincekeball is the most one I like I said, I have, I have few guys that go play, but not I make no noise yet, but become.
Speaker 2: Paul, thank you?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And lastly, I want to say you've done a great job of developing players over the years, not just to be the best version of themselves basketball wise, but also off the court. You know, I think I know the answer to this, but where did that come from? What did you? Where did you develop that passion to help these young men become student athletes not just athletes?
Speaker 4: Well think about it. You know our parents, our parents education first, you know, everything else to take care of self. So to me, if I can build a better young man basketball the ball in South Bounson at one time, so what's next? So if I can leave guys to be better husbands, better fathers, better role model flock you know wrote my community. I done my job. The wins, the wins come, the losses come, but there's nothing like you know, having that that young man go out of the community and then call me twenty years later, Hey, coach, I remember DTLT do a little things. Shout out yes, talk about talk about stuff like that that they have learned. So everything that we was was taught as a as a player minded up doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Shout out to coach. Bring our high school coach. He kind of taught us that and kind of got us in that same mode. And this kind of ties into you, al because you're kind of the same thing in your profession. As far as giving opportunity. I know you've uh spoke, you spoke, you spoke at symposiums and and different groups. Uh full sale. I don't know if it was you just speak or did you teach a class, But nevertheless, the point that you were kind of dropping gyms and giving knowledge to young up and coming producers and artists on how go about their business? Where did that come from for you?
Speaker 5: I'm I mean, first and foremost, like you said, parents, but I think secondly surrounding myself with men like y'all. Like I learned a lot from you. You know, music is what I do not who I am, and I think that's sort of how you look at basketball is what you did very well. But I think the man that you are off the floor was much more and just the businessman. I remember one time specifically, you were like, Hey, do you know how to run motorcycles? And I was like, yeah, I'm thinking, we're going, you know, ten to fifteen minutes away, and I'm like, where we're going?
Speaker 2: There were taking that hour?
Speaker 5: We going to my restaurant, you know, And I'm like, man, just planting those seeds. Man really taught me to think a different way. And for me, you know, I think it's selfish when you're able to receive wisdom like that and keep it to yourself. So I always try to just pay it forward and share it and hopefully the people we share it with go and do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Right. And the cool thing about AO is that we met obviously through a mutual friend many many many years ago. It's been a very long time through music. Shout out to Rod, shout out to KP also or other buddies, a lot of people as far as involved in music, and we all got linked together and it's kind of like it was a natural thing, and I know at that time you were going through something, some issues in the business. Obviously, everyone who's in the music business, as you know, goes through something. And it was funny. I remember us sitting pretty much right over here, and the one thing I said to you, you know, like, well let's let's talk about let's talk through it. And like I said, we barely knew each other like that, But you know, I value the opinions of everyone else who brought you in. They felt like you were apart. It wasn't just work, you know, it was kind of a friendship along with work. And I remember you coming in and I was just like, man and just trying to give you, like real advice as a friend more so than anything else, trying to oh if you got the old man, I helped him get to it. It wasn't it was zero, nothing about that. It was more so just lending helping him, you know what I'm saying. So that's just kind of who I've always been. But you know, I just remember that situation and just kind of just trying to shoot it to your for real.
Speaker 5: It's so crazy. I tell the story often. You said, and you helped me in it. You said, I can help you, but I'm not. And I'm like, man, like, what does that even me?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: Like, but I knew just out of the respect that I had for you that it was real purpose to it. And you were like, look, you know you can learn now with one hundred thousand, or you can learn down the road with you know, a million, ten million, and that alone, man like man right there right there. So yeah, thank.
Speaker 2: You nah for sure for you man going through the business. And we've enjoyed your music obviously on this side outside of what the world has has has seen and and for even those who don't know much about you, but what what has been most gratifying for you in the business? I mean you, like I said, like for those once again he he I remember that you you texting the group chat about why and how fast it became what it's become, like literally overnight.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, and I'm gonna ask you this before we even go there. I know a lot of artists say they don't like They say, oh, man, I did this record and I didn't even like it, but everybody else said put it out anyway? Is that a Is that a beat that you created that you liked it? Like this can be something or was it one of I was like, yeah, whatever, it's cool.
Speaker 5: But man, man, it's so crazy. And I don't know if I told the story or not, but I made a lot at home on my couch, just one of those things like you know, just keep the repetition, just keep working. And I didn't think it would be what it was, but you know, thankfully, thankfully it is, you know. But I think far as like gratification, man, I'm just I'm thankful to do what I love and really help the people that I love most, and just the memories that I've been able to create, you know, you know for my family and now for my kids, Like that's just been so amazing. And I think the other side, which is sort of why we all bonded over music, is just the therapeutic side of it, you know what I'm saying, Like we sort of just we closed that door right there, and you know, we we have fun and you know, get these emotions and put it down on paper and get it out, and man, it's just been such a bonding and experience and you know, just being able to create that over and over, like it's a blessing.
Speaker 2: And for you think about this. Did did things seem bleak like the door was closing once? You know your issue early with the music, you know, with that that one record. I don't know if you choose to talk about it now, is it a thing in the past. I don't know. I leave that up to you. But did things look bleak like? Man? I don't know if things will look up from there. Obviously you get that opportunity to work with Beyonce and do record them, and obviously things pop off with Chris Brown and that laundry list of people, But how was that feeling at that time?
Speaker 5: So you got to think at that time, Remember, I was Grammy nominated in the nineteen ninety two Honda and I probably had, you know, one hundred dollars in my bank account, and one thing that stuck out. Everybody, each and every one of you treated me as if it was the exact opposite. You know, it was nothing but love, And you know, I knew that I would figure it out in the process, and man, I don't know, it's so surreal, but it's just one of them things that I'm glad it happened. And if I could do it over again, I would go through it again just just because of the lessons that happened. But I think what it really made me do is.
Speaker 2: Bro, you were stressed though, Oh, like I remember you're taking calls in between the sessions, you and Ron, and yeah, you were stressed. But like I say, I mean, I guess I guess, like what you're saying makes sense though, because it's like, yeah, you were stressed, you were going through it, but it's always comforting and joke. I know you've been through some things that We've had plenty of conversations about tough times, and I think when you're going through it, you go through it. It sucks, but at the same time, you can look at your show, older your shoulder and know that you got support. You know what I'm saying. So I guess what you're saying kind of kind of makes sense because it's like, yeah, I go through it again because I know the support that I had and I knew that I was never alone. It just I just need to take that opportunity to speak out to get it out sometimes probably you know, whatever the case may be. And I get so, I hear.
Speaker 5: You, I hear for sure.
Speaker 2: Well then they man, we've got to lower everybody. So let's get into some basketball, man like, I know you guys. Well, first of all, Ao, I know you're a Magic fan, and what were your thoughts about the Magic And I say that because I remember leading into the playoffs or or well, yeah, leading to the playoffs, being local, listening to some of the fans, how nervous they were, And the one thing I said about that Magic team, I said, regardless of how this turns out, this is invaluable experience for this team for next year, which makes them dangerous because now they know what to expect. Now they know what the playoffs look like. Now they it's not unfamiliar territory, particularly for your star players who are going through it. They've seen a little bit. So the nerves, You're always gonna have nerves, obviously, And let me stop right there real quick, Joe. For you, as a coach, do you still get or have nerves before you go out to coach a game? Yes?
Speaker 4: I think when I stopped having nerves, I think, well that's one I'm gonna stop coaching.
Speaker 2: And same thing for you. Go ahead, and the same thing for you. Do you still have nerves maybe working with an artist or right before that that record's about to drop. Do you still have that? Man? I hope they like it, or you just like, hey, man, I know I did some good stuff and not everybody's gonna like it. How do you still have those nerves?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Thousands? All right? Yeah, so and I say that. So I just think next year for the Magic, it's gonna be extremely helpful that not only did they just go through a series, but they went through a game seven. So more than anything, they got to go through a game seven, which is the hardest game to go through because closing out a team, whether you're up or well, whether I mean officer it's tied, but whether you're up and you allowed it to come back or whether you fought back in closing out a series is one of the hardest things to do. I don't care if it's the first round or the finals. It's one of the hardest things to do. So how'd you feel about your Magic? I know you were at a couple of playoff games.
Speaker 5: Sure, yeah, I think it's one of those things now, like you said, super excited to see next season. It's like the dogs, once they taste blood, you know it's time to eat. So but I just think this this season and the other song has you know, helped create this culture, uh, you know with the team and the players.
Speaker 2: How does that make you feel? Man? It's like, I know you when you did it, you're like, oh, I think I got one, And it's always cool to think that you got one, and you know it's gonna pop off. But yeah, it's next level, right right. It's I read the comments that I sent you a couple of text mess like, yo, you should be proud.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely am proud. It's one of those things, like you said, you never know just how people are gonna accept it. So those nerves were there and this one that's just far beyond expectation and I think, you know, just being a part of that, it just helps, you know, bring us together. Man. I think that's what it's all about, you know. It's it's something for players to connect with fans and fans to connect with players. And even though it was you know, like the commons say, they're like, I'm a New York Knicks fan, but play the song, you know, it's a something special.
Speaker 2: And they were winning and you got to hear it three times, like it's like it was I'm sure some magic. Fans felt maybe they get swept, maybe they win one. Now they pushed it to the break where they actually had a chance in Game seven, fell short. But it's okay, man, like this is this is signs of looking up. I'll say that there were two Game sevens just passed and they were fantastic. They lived up to the billing. In my opinion, I thought it kept people on the edge of the seats. Well, I'll start with the Knicks Pacers. It ended up a blowout, but at the same time, man, it was competitive from start to finish. The Knicks the Knicks, man, regardless. It's funny you hear you hear fans. You know, that's what we do. We hear fans talk about all we didn't have all our guys and all that stuff. But they still had a legitimate shot in winning. Obviously it was a blowout, but they still had a legitimate shot with what they had And that says a lot about the character and the culture in New York. And on the other side, I think what Rick Carlile has done. I played for Rick Carlile in Dallas, you guys remember that, And to see him now buy into the new age, the new style, the new culture, the new way of coaching and everything. Man, it says a lot about him as a coach and having a point guard like Tyrus Halliburton was fantastic. And my thing was, like at home he was killing, he was putting up big numbers, uber aggressive, and on the road in New York he just wasn't aggressive. And it frustrated me because obviously it's a different vibe. You gotta find your own and find and create your own energy on the road all of these things. But he was a different monster. Game seven, this dude was aggressive, like aggressive. Twenty six point six assists, ten for seventeen from the field six or twelve from three point line night, that was Those numbers are what he did at home, and he brought that same energy on the road. What say you guys, what did you see? What were your thoughts about got Game seven? Hey, yo, you go ahead be hell goo, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Look at it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: One thing I pride you on is, uh, you know, just staying healthy is so important, man, taking care.
Speaker 2: Of that body and uh, you know, and those guys for the you know, next played a lot of minutes, I mean, but they had to. They were down bodies. And I'll say this real quick. And Joe, you're a coach, and you guys heard me just say this not too long ago. The thing that bothers me about you, coaches, Joe you, I said, just this, the thing that bothered me about you coaches, man, And I hope as a coach, I don't do this. But when you're up and you have blowout wins and stuff, you got to give you a bench a chance to play because they need to gain that invaluable experience for situations like what the Knicks had gone through. Meaning Randall goes down, Robinson goes down, Og goes down, then all of a sudden, Jalen Brunson goes down and you look down that bench and you're like, oh man, you don't have the confidence to play that guy. You know for whatever reason, or you feel like he doesn't mess or feel comfortable confident, Well, you haven't given him that opportunity in situations. Yeah, sample sizes, but more sample sizes he gets, the more comfortable he is. Also, so you know, I just wanted this to add that to what he was saying. For sure, for sure, go ahead, Joe.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 4: I think that the Knicks run out of gas. I think those guys of the minutes they play, I think Burke came off the bitch and twenty six points.
Speaker 2: He who hadn't played right right, So.
Speaker 4: Imagine if he hadn't played during the season, like you said earlier in the series, No, he could have been give him a spark where those guys could have got some breathing hen there. Yeah, to me, I think game game six in game seven, I'm like, I think tournament was big for those guys, specially yeah six for the Pacers coming out big man shooting threes, and he kept him in the game in game six.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna throw another name at you, Pascal Siakam. I thought Game six in Game seven were well showed the value uh he had in that trade right there. He didn't play great early in the series, in my opinion, I don't have his numbers, but Game six look a lot more aggressive, uh, more confident at the free throw line. And then game seven he was comfortable because he'd been there before. He has a championship, so he knew how to lead and just go out there and kind of set the tone and break the ice. I thought he was another one. And then that other that other dog, TJ. McConnell. Yes, here's another guy who's been there, you know. And as a coach, every every coach loves, wants and needs a t J. McConnell. Would you agree.
Speaker 4: I agree every team need a dog with a team, and that person's gonna go out there and do little things that other people want to do and be aggressive with it. So I think he was big.
Speaker 2: And also, I'm gonna say de Vincenzo, I thought he was fantastic. I didn't see him to be this prolific of a score. And it's not disrespect I just didn't see it. I mean, obviously he was playing within his role he played in Golden State. I think he learned how to be a great body mover meaning just moving off the ball, and obviously a great catching shoot or catching off the move. He learned a lot playing with the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 4: So yeah, man, I could you imagine playing NBA with your college teammates like no, playing.
Speaker 2: With Antoine and Jeff McGinnis, and yeah, those guys.
Speaker 4: Man Chico, like the Knicks, Man, they had guys and all three guys that wanted to do no that played together. So they played well together. They played well together. That that was a big reason why they was able to accomplish a lot of stuff and fight through some stuff because they've been to the practice, they've been playing together for a long time. And most of those guys I think went to college for four years. M hmmm, so they're for a little bit more mature.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they they they they hurt the hurt bitar heels. We had the series one and uh yeah, they got us. They got us. But we ain't gonn talk about that. We're talking about NBA basketball and the other game seven Denver Nuggets versus the Minnesota Timberwolves. That was wow. I mean the build up, it's like you went from a great game. Oh man, it was unfortunate. Obviously we didn't mention Jalen Brunson obviously breaking his hand on on the on the strip down and I thought he was unbelievable all all series, I mean all serious shoot, all playoffs, and you know, it was just unfortunate. So I want to give him his love and shout out. I played with his dad Rick in Toronto briefly, so man, I was obviously rooted for him to continue to play well. But it was that that great series, great Game seven which led to even better Game seven with the Nuggets and Minnesota? Uh, what are your thoughts? First on what you saw and then I'll get into what I my thoughts.
Speaker 5: Man, I think, Uh, again, the fatigue played its role. I've seen something where they were talking about you know, obviously they had a very long season last year, and you know that down time that they usually would have had.
Speaker 4: Uh, they did it and then usually series many Yeah, and then I didn't like that trying to I didn't like that. What what were your thoughts on trying to just secure that that second place spot and not being able to wrest their guys as well?
Speaker 2: You know, And well, let me jump in real fast though, because I gotta say this. I didn't I didn't like how that, how that came off because I look at the Bulls who went three p I look at all former champions prior to I mean they they all had a long season flowing into the next year and get it done. Look at Golden State, look at Lebron and his teams. Who who were who went five years in a row? But I mean at least to the conference finals. So I just I understand what he I hear what he's saying, but at the same time, I just I'm just like, yeah, the reason you you those minutes is because you wanted to win and get the best possible seed. He didn't feel comfortable going back to our last conversation about using other guys to savor some of those minutes. You see what I'm saying, And and and he lost Bruce Brown, he lost Jeff Green. Shut up to the uncle, Jeff. Those guys were huge off the bench for him. Where he can he can buy some minutes, and he didn't feel comfortable. In my opinion, I'm on the outside looking in, but I just felt like he didn't feel comfortable. You used DeAndre Jordan in a few more minutes. You can kind of sit Joker down a little more to have him fresh forward. But it's kind of a sacrifice you have to make to get what you want to get. They were trying to get the number one seed, period, you know what I'm saying. So that's that's kind of what comes with it. So that's that's the only thing. And Mike Malone is fantastic. He's a great coach. You know. I just I just I didn't agree with them on that that's just what it is. Go ahead, Joe to me.
Speaker 4: With Gordon Porter Junior in kse CP he combined for sixteen points at home in game seven. There's no way your other three starters who have been playing well here and they're combined for sixteen points in the game seven and the close out game and at home to me, Minnesota was the aggressive in the second half. They made adjustments by putting Red in the game. Who's a knockdown shoots Now now Joker, Joker had to go out and guard. He had to go out and defend those guys who can shoot with kat Reid, and now he got stretched forward and Joker played forty seven minutes. He played forty seven minutes in that game. Late in the game when when the game was kind of closed, he had fatigued where he couldn't get rebounds and couldn't get stuff out there late.
Speaker 2: I think and see, I'll say this as as a coach, you got to decide, and it's a it's a decision you have to make on the spot. So will he look at it like maybe I should have set him down when they were up twenty at some point in the game. Maybe he should he could have uh step with his normal rotation or minute rotation. At that point you have a lead. Obviously, when you're losing your lead a little bit, you could throw him back in the game instead of just sitting them down. I mean, just leave him on the court. I guess I'll say this. There's another thing about there's a big thing about what Chuck said on T and T because I was on that night about sitting Gobart, and it's a couple of guys has come out and said that they thought so. And I kind of understood what they were saying because they were trying they needed to play faster to get back in the game, and like you said, Joe, make Yo Kic guard and they wanted to kind of attack. I think Kat was doing a very good job of guarding him until he got fouled. The one thing that bothers me with Rudy, and I said it on air and I'll say it again, he was playing too straight up. So if you're seven whatever you are, and you got a bigger guy like that, you can't guard him straight up like that because when he hit you, you're gonna fall all over the place. He just needed a better base, a lower base and a little more and active hands to kind of get him thinking a little bit, show him different looks and stuff like that, which he didn't do. I just felt like that's when Joker was able to take advantage of him. And you see when Kat was playing them, he was kind of giving them different looks and just playing them. Sometime he pushed them, sometime he tried to out quit them, just to get him thinking a little bit, and that's what wore him down. So that's why I understood what Chuck was saying. And I didn't like the reporter that asked Gobert, and I'm assuming I'm gonna assume that he didn't ask, he didn't tell him or say give him the whole backstore in context to why he said that. He just I think the question was, what are your thoughts on why Chuck Charles Barkley wanting you off the floor? Blah blah blah. Well, the reason they were saying they needed play faster. The coach said at halftime they needed to play faster, So you know, I just it was just it's just kind of funny how how things work in the edit that comes out into the world all the time. But I just felt like when you talk about Heo, you mentioned this earlier about a team sticking together, having each other's back. That's what we saw from Minnesota as far as their superstar was being double teams and he every time he was in a situation, they'd wait, wait, wait, go double, make him get off the ball. So shout out to it for having the confidence and trust and belief in his guys, because if he didn't believe him and took bad shots and forced the issue turnovers, everybody kind of against the poutain mopen and kind of like, man, what's wrong with buddy? You know, you know type thing. So I just I want I gotta give him as propsy And I asked him that question, like he had confidence in his guys. You could tell that they're very tight knit group. And having Mike Conley is huge because he had a guy where when he got doubled, now you have a point guard in a four on three situation to make to make decisions or score himself. When Mike was out, you saw they double and they struggled. So I just I just like how that team, how close knit they are, And then Aunt saying, oh, I'm gonna step it up. They've got me, They've gotten me to this point. Now I'm gonna do what I need to do for them. And in the fourth quarter his defense stepped up. He got the big steel and then he hit the big three and obviously shout out to nas Reed like you guys said, no, it was fantastic. Kat goes with five fouls, so now you gotta leave Gobert in and nas Reed takes over like it was just a total true team effort something like you mentioned.
Speaker 5: I have a question for y'all. Do you think in that situation being the Nuggets, is it easy to get comfortable to have time in that locker room?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Absolutely, because you think a younger team, a younger team that doesn't have the same experience that you have, they they're gonna the first five minutes, you know they're gonna try to make a run to get back in it. But Denver made the first run. They go up from fifteen to twenty, so now we're kind of like, oh, yeah, they ready to lay down, and that wasn't the case. And yes, I agree they were for Tegue Joker had thirty four nineteen and seven, and you can see on his three point shot he ended up making. If I'm not mistaken, let me see he made he made two of them, but at one point he was zero for seven, one for nine, ended up two for ten or for one for eight and then two to ten. How many he shot ten?
Speaker 4: Three? She was two for ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two for ten. So that's what I'm saying. So it's just and the other thing, like you guys said they have five bench points, yes, five.
Speaker 4: Yes, sixteenth sixteen total.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and only two guys in double figures. That's not gonna get it done. So I do think they ran out of gas and you just play sometimes, Like it's easy to say they don't. I mean, I just said it, but it's easy to be a team that doesn't have the experience. But sometimes you go out there and just play hard. And if I don't know better, that's sometimes okay too. Like they don't know better, like they don't understand maybe they didn't even realize how big the moment is, and just just play the games, play hard sometimes that and that's what we saw, Like they got punched in the mouth, stagger, stagger, But we could still play hard. We're still the number one defensive team in the NBA. We could do that. We could still give the effort and defense gave them life offensively.
Speaker 4: I got a question for you NBA today, it's a lot of challenge calls, challenge files.
Speaker 2: Quick to do one of these.
Speaker 5: Anywhere.
Speaker 4: What's like when you played back, when you first begin to start playing. How do you think that would have affected the game then as it is now?
Speaker 2: That's hard to say. I mean, obviously, you always you're gonna I mean, you're gonna lean into the rules whenever you can't or how have you Whatever advantage you think you can get, you're gonna you're gonna try to take advantage of it. So it definitely will be utilized. Uh, it's just it's just tough sometimes because as a coach you have to obviously rely on your that that video guy and assistant coaches to make that quick decision like yes or no, And sometimes the player feels so adamant about yes man, challenge this, I know I did or did not do whatever it is, and sometimes it goes goes left and as a coach, you lose your time out. You don't have that challenge late in the game when you probably need it more than anything. So it's a it's a tough situation for but I know I think players, coaches, teams adapt to whatever the situations are and if that's the thing, they're gonna use it and it will get abused. That's just that's just how it goes.
Speaker 5: You made a comment early and you said, uh, and hopefully when I'm coaching. What did you mean by that?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know why I said that. You said it, I'll just put it out there. Yeah, I know, And now that I think about it, I did say that. I guess. I guess I did it. I didn't mean to. I didn't one percent didn't mean that. I have not been thinking about it. I think I think I think I was gonna say. I mean, I think I was gonna say. I think I was saying if I were coaching. Okay, that's what That's kind of just the things I would say. What I have no news, no news before we get into the Eastern Conference finals and stuff like that. I want to ask you a question, in your opinion, what's one of the best deals in the NBA? Do we still do? I think Joker and and Murray or one of what are one of the best I also say Kyrie and Luca the way they are playing right now, yes, Am and Brown you, I mean they're still They're still up there. Maybe not the top two or three, I don't know, but there there they did. They definitely deserve to be mentioned. Cat and and and like right now. I mean, yeah, Jalen Brunson and Devincenzo maybe like yes, a man like what Devincenzo was doing, like they were getting it done. They were getting it done. So that's duo. That's that's I don't know, regardless of how it played out in Denver, but but out of a sixty nine points, sixty nine points, I don't mean to cut you off, nineteen rebounds and a bunch of assists, like they've been tough all year, they just didn't have any help go ahead.
Speaker 5: Out of the final four, who really has the true duos there?
Speaker 2: So the best due out of the final four? I'm mhm m is it?
Speaker 5: Is it a new game being played? In your opinion?
Speaker 2: The game is different now, it's different. It's different for a lot of reasons. And I think we we rely on trying to draw the file instead of getting the buckets. Now. I say we, meaning the players now. I mean, obviously there's more three point shots. It's funny how you shoot all the threes and then in the playoffs back in the day. Now you're trying to get into paint, utilize your post up more. Now you you're obviously trying to use the three point shot to your advantage. Spread the floor, open the floor up. So it's it is a different game. It's a faster game. You look at the the scoring numbers now as opposed to when I first got in the league, it's not even close. You didn't have that if not one or two teams scoring one hundred points, and they were probably on the West coast. He definitely went on the East coast and they definitely wasn't on my side. Uh So it is definitely a different game. But with the answer the question the best dual, I'm gonna say it's Luca and Kyrie. I think m hm uh. And I got to give Kyrie some props the way he has matured and what he's done, how he's bought in, and I'm giving props to Luca for allowing Kyrie to be the the ultimate dynamic score that he is, as well allowing the other superstar in his team to flourish and do what they do to make the game easier for him, Like he doesn't have the four shots now, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I got a question. Boughton and Luca a lot different than Kyrie. Luca.
Speaker 2: I don't know they he didn't get he didn't get a chance to be. I mean, it's I think now we can say, man, that would have in something. Now I think Brunson. You could see the potential in Brunson that last year he was there, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But it is Boston the too. That's a good question, is Boston too? Because you know Boston he.
Speaker 2: Was he was at that time. He was the two because Luca had the ball in his hands all the time. And I think Luca would have been dangerous if he allowed Brunson to be the point guard with his ability to pass and score. And now Luca catching the ball with a live dribble, Yes, he could the ball with a lot of dribble, so he could either catch it and go right to his post move call a pick and roll over or catching shoot. He didn't have to always have the ball go through a bunch of pick and rolls, set back up. Now, now get to his step back. He didn't have he didn't have to work that hard because of a guy like that. And I think he's kind of seeing the benefits of that now with Kyrie, he's seeing the benefits of that now having PJ. Washington guys who can spread the floor. He's also seen the benefits because he's having two live wires and I mean live threats and Lively and Gafford guys who are very active. Like So, now I come up to pick a row, I can just wait and just throw it up there because you got a decision, you know what I'm saying. So yeah, all right, So since we're getting into tough questions, I'm gonna ask you this out of okay, who would you start a franchise with right now? Anthony Edwards or Luca Dutchess.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go an, I'm gonna go and just he's twenty two, yeah, that and he's on he's ascending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look and Luca is still right there as well. I mean he's still ascending. It's just it's just what is what's your tea? Really? I think that's that to answer that question, what's your cup of tea. What do you what style do you like because they play different style of basketball they do.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's more of he's on the rise and played offense. Team he played both ends to mean, Luca has been playing pretty good defense.
Speaker 2: And he has he has bought in. Shout out to j Kibbs, former teammate. He is a man.
Speaker 4: He's been challenging. He's been he's been a set challenging to me. I think they possibly have a chance to come out to West.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there a face of the franchise? Is there one guy right now who would be is the future face of the franchise or is there a few of them?
Speaker 5: In your opinions? A few?
Speaker 4: I think it's a few.
Speaker 2: Remember John Moran didn't play, Zion had a good year, didn't finish Wimby Yes, I mean s G A.
Speaker 1: H.
Speaker 2: I mean you still have I mean Jason Tatum is is on the custom of that next group as well.
Speaker 4: So you forgetting some guy you think the older guys that's you know, starting that is by the time for them let the younger guys take over.
Speaker 2: It just depends on on if they're ready or not. Because I mean, you can give you can give keys to a fool. Yeah, and and and they'll they'll take over your franchise or they'll take over your car, But that don't mean they're gonna bring it back in one piece. You see what I'm saying. So it's just I feel like you, I feel like giving the keys to a player has you have to value that. It has to be sacred. I mean, you would like to see your car come back in one piece, that that nice Maybach or Bentley or whatever it is that you're gonna let them drive. This is this is this is your everything. So I feel like we have to nurture those young guys in the manner that what we want them to be when you give them keys, because it's easy to give a draft pick the keys coming right in and you know, once they knowing. Just imagine if you're eighteen nineteen, all right, this is say even twenty one, you're making all these millions, and now you're the franchise player for the Orlando Magic AO or whoever. Like, imagine you at twenty one, yeah, Joe, imagine you at twenty one like that and you got the like just think about that. So I just think we have to kind of look at when I'm giving you these keys, I need to think can you handle the responsibility that comes with this being that franchise player. I think a lot of these guys who are getting that opportunity. I covered the Brooklyn Nets and Michael Bridges. We had a couple of a lot of conversations with him about the responsibility and now the difference because when you're a role player, you're the third guy, second guy whatever in Phoenix becoming the number one guy on the Scott Report when they start talking about what teams do. Guess what they talk about first, you, sir, And so you don't have time to really be in your feelings or you got to find a way and still got to be a team guy. You have a responsibility for yourself and other other players to get them involved, even if you're not the point guard in my opinion, because you can still be the vocal leader and you have to uplift guys as well as the as a go to guy. You know, so do you have to have a voice in the locker room and on the court.
Speaker 4: So back then, I think when when you were when you were the rookie, you had veterans that was able.
Speaker 2: To it was two young guys and ten ten to twelve fits. So yes, it was different.
Speaker 4: To help you. You know what I'm saying, help you guys, you lead, just like now. I told some about the day I said, eventures go to games. He would a suit.
Speaker 2: No, it's just different for the playoffs. Yeah, and when we sat on the bench it was required. I mean that was like I said, it's just a change of the time, you know. I mean, I think, particularly in the playoffs, the playoffs is about business, like I'm going to handle business like so the whole thing about looking good, feel good, play good, and so and so forth. I just feel like that's like you're going for business. So I mean, it's it's different. And some people's like what what what do you why? Why does what you what you wear matter? I get it. But at the same time, persons say you're coming in and watching business, you become a threat. You know who we have? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I haven't talked about like that. And you know, maybe I'm biased because I'm a Magic fan, but don't care. On man, I think you.
Speaker 2: Know, I think he's another guy. Yes, he's another guy on the right. I still this is my opinion, I feel like he's in the next tier under that those superstars, like he's a star. He's on the rise of being a superstar, and I think I think next year will be the next step for him because of the experience he got this year. I thought he took a huge jump this year because of playing in the with the that Olympic team and seeing how to be a pro, seeing how to lead your team, seeing how to kind of adjust to both the responsibility of being the star player. I thought his growth was fantastic this year. So I got another question for you, So who you got MAVs Timberwolves.
Speaker 4: Me personally, I think that it's gonna be a great matchup. I think it's gonna go to seven h Dallas have size Mavers half size. I think it's gonna and Kyrie is the match up. Let's talk about the matchups.
Speaker 2: And has already said he he's got kin m so he said it to me on Turner on post game, said my matchup gonna be Kyrie. So I'm gonna see what I'm gonna do. Period. I love it. He's taking a challenge and he understands that he has to go and see I think I think this series, the stars are gonna be stars, gonna put up numbers. I feel like Kat's gonna pull up some good numbers and Luca Kyrie. This is gonna come down to my opinion, it's gonna be an X factor game more so than Stars because I feel like they're gonna somewhat cancel each other out. But it's gonna be the X factor. So it's gonna be that third score. It's gonna be the PJ. Yes, it's gonna be like PJ. Washington or or McDaniels. Mc daniels, I feel like he played, He played extremely well where he nas Red is gonna play and I think go Beart will have a huge uh. I feel like you'll see a better version of him because he doesn't have to guard Nicola Jokic every time down with that type of size. Now he's dealing with athletes. Though, yes, Bouncy gonna catch lives like if you're a second late, yeah you know what's gonna look like. But Go Bear is a guy that doesn't really care about that, Like he's gonna still go for the block, go make the right place. So I feel like for them, Dallas, dare I say they have to play fast. I don't think. I think. I say this, Luca can't hold onto the ball. That ball is gonna have to move to create open shots because of Minnesota's defense. Yes, they're gonna channel. They're gonna channel right to go Beert, you have to put Gobert in multiple picking rolls. It has to be like if you're Gafford or something. The first screen can't be for a lot because he's gonna sit back anyway, because Gafford, I mean yet Luca and and Kyrie come off. He has to be up. But if you you put him in multiple screens, so it's a pin down to a or its a high screen roll to a pin down or something like that, then you slip to the lot. That's tough. That's a tough action for for him to guard, you know what I'm saying. So you have to put go Bear multiple actions to have success. You said you think it's gonna go seven, All right, Well does the other Does the Pacers Celtics go seven?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I think that. I think the Boston's gonna win that in five?
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, where does.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 5: First of all, am I think Boston will take it, but I'm giving him at least six.
Speaker 2: Okay, Joe, if it's sent five. Where does Indiana win their one game? When they do they win in Boston a game or they're gonna win it one at home.
Speaker 4: They don't win one at home.
Speaker 2: They aren't good at home.
Speaker 4: They do look good at home, they don't look that that great on the road. But I think, you know, Boston, Boston guys that not their stars, but the X factors. I think it's gonna be good. Jared white Man, he didn't even he wasn't even a five star, no start in high school. When Juco like, look look at it now, and I think they're gonna get there. They get their center back too.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this. That's why I was gonna be asking the question. So, Chuck, Charles Barkley seems to think Boston can't get it done if there's no Presingers and he's projected not to play the first two games. Do you agree with that? Because we just talked about all of the X factors, and I think I think what's the big fellaw uh Horford. I think if he's able to somewhat guard uh Miles Turner they'll be okay without presingers. He still has the ability to shoot the three. He can post up. He's tough and he and he does a pretty decent job and pick and roll. Now, when they sub and bring in Luke Cornett, there's a question. Now, I'm sure they'll have schemes and whatever to protect him or whatnot. And maybe you don't put up Cornet plays when Jackson plays, but he's he's an active body for the Pacers. Well, they're back up big small ball. I think small ball can can work. I mean, you're you're talking about Tatum or Brown possibly have in the guard miles and when he's aggressive on the glass, you're risking wearing them down and getting them foul trouble.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 2: So that's that's kind of that's my concern when you do that. So uh, I mean, I think Boston. I think Boston gets it done seven games. I don't know. I just feel like they're gonna make Halliburton guard. I think there was some of the you know, I know he's up there and steals, and I know Pacer fans and some people like, oh he's up there steels, Yes, But I watched the Knicks game, and there were situations where they made Halliburton have to actually guard and they're gonna put him in picking rolls and they're gonna hunt him out and you're gonna avoid the switch. Okay, cool, But guess what Drew Holliday post up, will post up, Tatum, you know, will post up, Jaalen Brown will post up up, even Derek White wild post up. So now he has to wait until Pritchard comes in the game. Maybe. Oh, Pritchard versus t J McConnell's gonna be my c TV Tell You, Tell You two little guys scrappy. I even like would like to see Drew Holliday and t J McConnell kind of go after it. I mean, obviously, Jewe Holladay is a bigger guard. Yeah, and he could post up. So I just think that's that's kind of the key and rebounding. And here here's my true feeling about Boston, particularly Tatum. He's the star. I don't think it falls on Jaylen Brown more so than Tatum. Here's why we've seen in times when when Tatum's not aggressive, well, guess who picks up the slack? That guy who makes three hundred million, Jayalen Brown, Right, So I think I honestly feel that Pacers would have a hard time if Tatum is in attack mode like he was in the close out game last series, when he's going attacking and he's not settling for the contested jump shot from three or like a long to like, if he's in attack mode, man, it won't matter when they play Okay, your turn, my turn. That's when Boston's kind of not at their best. I agree they play, but if they play like if they play like within the Florida offense, and it's kind of like, all right, I'm going I'm going boom my kid downhill to give you the ball and keep it. I'm playing off your penetration. Now, it's kind of set up that way, Boston's gonna be hard to guard.
Speaker 4: Out of the last four teams left, which coach do you give a nod to? Wh who's to have a team?
Speaker 2: All right, let me let me think whom Boston, Indiana Wolves. We yes, what coach has been there? Missoula has been there before. M hm, Carlile has been there before. Okay, uh, as coaches Wolves have not. All right, So now with within those coaches I'm talking about Mossoula. Missoula has the same amount of the same group of guys that has been there. Carlile has been there, but not with this group of guys who are younger, who's never been this far in this situation outside of Pascal Siaka. So uh. But but there again, what what Carlile has done, He's got these guys to buy in. So it's it's gonna be interesting to see. Like sometimes I just feel like was what some of the calls that Missoula calls, like their calls for they're two superstars, not to be aggressive, and that's yeah, more so than I'm running to play for you to get what I need you to get instead of like sometimes you don't you you know, Joe, you've been there. I'm not. I'm not letting the point guard. I'm calling display where I know I'm gonna get a particular shot that I want, you know. So that's what I think needs to happen. It's situational basketball. Of course, who goes to the finals?
Speaker 5: Timberwol Celtics.
Speaker 2: I ain't mad at it. I ain't at at it.
Speaker 5: That's my take.
Speaker 4: I think the Celtics is gonna go and it's either I.
Speaker 2: Just know that I ain't know either. It's either it's either Timberwolves or Maths.
Speaker 4: But I know that once with Celtics, but Timberwolves and the Maths is gonna come down to the last second shot game seven. Yeah, I think Kyrie is gonna hit it.
Speaker 2: Saying Okay, so you're saying MAVs.
Speaker 4: I just think I feel like a king and king guard.
Speaker 2: But keep going who wins it?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: What an can guard?
Speaker 4: But what knud Kyrie? For seven games?
Speaker 2: He's going I mean he took the challenge with Murray Kyrie. I was about to say that I agree a little different. Uh, I don't know, Smoke, You're right, I'm saying a little different. So I so, so who was Boston Dallas? And you're saying Boston, Minnesota? Who wins it all?
Speaker 5: Minnesota?
Speaker 4: I'm going with I'm going with the West.
Speaker 2: In Dallas Dallas. So either at the end of the day, it's gonna be a West Geez Louise.
Speaker 4: Who who's going within it all?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm I'm the Boston Wolves. Yes, yeah, yeah, there you Boston Wolves. This week? I would say Minnesota, Minnesula this week? Jah, I am I mean, it's like it's a whole lot of ifs, ifs, If Presingers is healthy, that's a different team, and it's a it's a different guard for go bet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he got the guard.
Speaker 2: That dude out there on the perimeter because thats where he's gonna be. He's not going into the post. Now, it's no sitting there's no sitting back. It's no sitting back. But he has to be up. So that's that's that's I think that's what that's what will do it for me.
Speaker 4: Defensive team, yeah, right now, they had.
Speaker 2: The best team all year. Yes, and they showed that, like, hands down, they showed yes.
Speaker 4: Even after winning, he's losing three and the rod they came back into seven game seven, it was different defense.
Speaker 5: Second h.
Speaker 2: All right, well let's move on.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's go on to the w n B. A. Have you guys been watching much. I know we've all heard everybody's on social media, so we've all heard about the hype of Caitlyn Clark, angel rees, even Cameron brink with the with the l A spark. How impressed or what are your thoughts on Caitlyn Clark so far?
Speaker 4: Well, I'll take you this when Kate and Clark was in high school with her, Iowa a tack team played in the a turnment at Mainland that was given by Essence. So I got a chance to see her play at Maine High School.
Speaker 2: Okay, how was she as a player in high school? Is she pretty much like we know her to be right now?
Speaker 4: It was? It was good TV, man, I'm talking about every game that she played. Me and this guy, Coach Martin, shot at Coach Martin. We watched and what you see now she was doing, shooting, passing. She was the leader, she always has always been that way. And her team, most of the girls I was on her, our attack team, went to college with her, and she was good. It was good TV in high school. And she shot the deep deep ball, shot at deep. But now she didn't shoot at DP. She shooting now, but she was. She shot three balls well, yeah, shot fall very well.
Speaker 2: So I got a yeah, yeah, what's your thoughts to me?
Speaker 5: It almost reminds me of the winby Hype, you know, he came in. I think it was a lot of pressure and the performance that was expected early wasn't there. But I think, you know, being somebody who didn't play, I observe it as a fan, and I love the eyes of what it's doing for the overall lead versus a specific.
Speaker 2: Player, and let's talk. Let's talk about that real fast. I think as much as you and I've said this on previous on the previous part, as much as you may love or hate Caitlyn Clark, she's brought more eyes and I'm gonna and before everybody jumped like what about, what about I'm getting there. But she was the number one pick. She has that winby hype, like you said, and that brought from from her fan base alone, brought more eyeballs to the WNBA to where now you're you're finding bigger venues for to house a fever game. But the same is with Angel Reese, and I felt like Angel Reese, Caitlyn Clark would struggle because of the hype. And she has to now go against these girls who they say, this is not college. Now you're taking the best from college and putting them in the pro. It's another level. These girls are stronger, the nastier they moved their feet, so on and so forth. So I feel like I felt like the beginning was gonna be a adjustment period for understanding the speed and strength of these girls, and midway through her WNBA first season, we'll see improvement, just like we saw with Wimby Angel Reese. On the other hand, I felt that she would actually do okay early because you don't have to run a play for her for her to be dominant. She's a dog and has a motor and she just play hard like she trying to just punk you and just outwork you and then tell you about it like that. Don't require you to run a play for her. Shoot it, just shoot it. I'll take care of the rest. And that's what we're seeing her do more than anything. Yes, she's getting some she's being featured a little bit, but more than anything, I felt like she would have, particularly in the beginning, she'd have be a front brother for probably one of the I mean for a Rookie of the Year because of that, and then once Caitlyn and some of these other girls kind of settle in, you'll have an interesting race, if not a favorite or a clear cut winner. Now, I don't know if you guys got the chance to see Cameron Brink for the LA Sparks. She's not afraid either, Yes at all.
Speaker 4: Yes, she's tough.
Speaker 2: She's tough, she's a shot blocker, she's fearless. I watched her play against the Las Vegas Vegas Aces, and she wasn't afraid of the moment, and she wasn't afraid of her matchup when she guarded. When she was guarding Asia Wilson, it was like, Okay, that's cool, and that's it's great to see. I mean, I feel like she's gonna have her struggles, but defensively is where she she's gonna make her mark. And then offensively, she shoots the ball. She she has a nice stroke to be six foot everything because she she she tall, but she she can shoot the ball. She worked with Stephanie a lot, and I think there he's he's the god brother, something father, something to to her family. If I can't remember what it was, so forgive me everyone, but I like her, her her demeanor, her approach, and then once she kind of gets her feet under her. As far as how this game is played offensively, she'll she'll pick up a Defensively, she fits right in. Have you guys gotten a chance to see the New York Liberty, Yeah, let me tell you something. They are good and they were in the They were in the the w NBA finals last year they lost to the Aces. But it's pretty much the same team and watching them, I watched them against the the Fever. They're good. They put it this way. We have a chance to see repeat finals in my opinion, Liberty versus the Aces, because my other question was the Las Vegas Aces. If you guys seen them, probably not. They are good as well. They are loaded, and they picked up one of Caitlyn's Clark Caitland Clark's teammates. I can't think of her name right now. It's it's I was trying to think of her name. That young lady is not afraid of the moment either, and get to her to her credit because of her playing with Caitlyn in college, always on the big stage, always having eyeballs, Like, it's not really that big of an adjustment for her because the acests get a lot of attention, you know what I'm saying, Like they get a lot of attention, and it's like outside of like, man, I'm in the w NBA playing with these girls. She was out there getting it done, making big plays, and she shoots the ball. She's defense, she's fearless, like, man, I love it. Man.
Speaker 4: So you think like Caitlyn and Lembe, those two type players. Do you think when they get at the league, like when they being in the league, do you think players go at them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going at them because of all the hype. They want to see if the hype is real. And I thought I thought Wemby handled handle himself very well. And and I think he had the advantage of having Greg Popovich as his coach, who kind of holwe him down just you know, hey, I don't care what they're saying, trust me on this. We're gonna be good. You're gonna be a star. Like he just he had to buy into it. And it seemed to me Winby was like, all right, coach, you the godfather. I'm listening, sir. And look at the back end of his first season, Winby started going crazy. So they upped his minutes. They he gained more confidence, he started doing like some people felt like because of his numbers he should have won Rookie Year and Defensive Player the year. His numbers were better than Rudy Gobert this year. His numbers were also better than Anthony Davis this year.
Speaker 5: So question because I feel like you've been there before. Do you think that players played against him with a different type of chip on their shoulder because of the hype that he had, maybe like your rookie year coming into you know.
Speaker 2: I feel like some rookies, I mean, yeah, I guess so. I mean because I feel like if you're a defensive guy and you can shut Winby down, that that kind of help boost your stock. And then offensively, if you can go after him and particularly as a big and have your way, that kind of helps boost your stock. So yeah, they want to shut him down, make their name off of him because you can see, but he's seventy five man, and he's athletic, Like he's a seven foot five small four. Yeah, yeah, honestly, offensively and defensively he that same seven five small four. But the center that can that can jump, that is athletic. So like that's exactly that is a that is a that's that's a creative player, right like you you you when you create that player, you try to see, oh, seven five, let me go all the way up ninety nine way Yeah, Like, yeah, I'm gonna make sure he can jump high, he got a handle, he can shoot, Like that's he's he's that type of player. So if you can and have a career night or a good night against them, yeah, or if you could be that guy who he ain't getting nothing off against me type thing like, that's an easy way to make it. And I feel like that's kind of how it was for Caitlyn. Diane Torazi was in that same position as the Stars, and she let it be known like this ain't easy coming up here. He's grown women, and this is something you gotta deal with, you know what I'm so. And it's it's not like it's not like it's funny because the first thing we throw out is all she's hating on her. It's not. It's more so just like, let's slow down and allow Caitlyn to and all of these rookies with the hype, angel Rees Cameron break all of them. Let's allow these ladies to adjust, go through their bumps and bruises early, and let's reconvene middle of the season and see what we have then. Because just like every w NBA player, I mean, okay, the outlier in all of this is Candice Parker. She doesn't count. She doesn't count. She came in as a rookie one, Rookie of the Year and MVP her Rookie Year she didn't got. But every player goes through their hard times. I'm not gonna even dare say, rookie wall. Fine, that's a real thing. I hear people saying or play. I even hear players like n rookie that that's a real thing. You just might not know that you're in you're you're you're in the rookie wall right now, but it's a real thing. Uh. But let them get their feet said, start seeing these teams a second, third time around. Then we'll see what they're made of, because like, yeah, yeah, of course she is the face like whether we want to admit it or not. And I'm gonna say Caitlon mostly, but I'm still gonna say Angel Reese as well. The TV revenue, the viewership as he sales. These girls are flying private now finally, finally, these they're still professional players, man, they are professional players. Where rather regardless I'll say, regardless of if some people, however you feel about the w n b A, they're they're professional players and they are idolized by someone, particularly their home base, and they have to go through the airport and they had to do it years back in the in the NBA. I mean this, the whole charter thing hasn't been around that that long. I mean I guess it has. I mean it's been I mean, obviously we've flew charter, but like not too much. Before I got in the league, they were there were all teams had all teams didn't have a plane, not that long before I got into the lead. So now that this is happening, I just feel like we have to just say, hey, man, I mean, I'm going after but I appreciate her popularity bringing opportunity to this league because at the end of the day, more money is being generated into the w NBA. That means your salary is gonna co up. Because if you can get that TV money, that means your salary is gonna go up. It's gonna be more money in your pocket. And yesterday's price won't be today's price because of the TV money. Because the thing so yes like you want to play your best against the create a rivalry, well it's must see TV and all of these things. That's why we're gonna see Caitlin Clark. I think I saw a think that she maybe had all but one game not on TV this year.
Speaker 5: Wow, all of one game.
Speaker 2: You feel me so like she is generating. Whether, however people feel about her, Yeah, she's doing what she's doing. The same goes for injuries. However you feel about her. One thing you can say if you watch it, she still play hard. She's still the same person. She loves it, loves her lifestyle, lives her lifestyle. But she still come to work. I can see if she did all the stuff off the court and didn't produce, didn't play hard, didn't have a motor, because it's like, oh she doesn't do this. Yeah, okay, but one thing we do know that she's gonna do is play hard. She gonna outwork somebody out there. And regardless of all the outside stuff that she does, she come to work and she's still throwing. She throwing these girls around still man like crazy.
Speaker 4: I got a question for you. If you was in the NBA around this time, Okay, how many points would your average? But when you play, you know it was hand chack, It was it was physical. Yeah, when you first came to lead, it was handshake. You was averaging thirty game. So, because I had this conversation with someone and.
Speaker 2: I think about this outside. Even with all of that going away, the game is faster. So I played we we weren't averaging one hundred points a game, right, that's true. We were in the in the mid nineties, maybe even the low nineties doing that. So now the game's faster with more three point shooting, which I shot the three games faster. So I got out and I'll get out and run and catching lives and fast breaking to go with it. So yeah, I think I would average more off of that alone. But I will still want my post ups. I love a post ups. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's funny. It's funny for me, Like I think I played in the era when we came in where you took the mid range jump shot. I made a living off of that early. I still shot the three, but I was getting I was getting one, two to the mid range and getting getting what I wanted, fadeaways and everything in between or all the way to the basket, and they taken it away. So I think that would be one thing. Kind of like a DeMar DeRozan who look even even KD or book guys like that who like to play in the mid post like I would I would still enjoy that part of it. So all right, guys, Man, I appreciate you. Guys wrapping it up once again, Ao, I appreciate you. And Hey, before we move into further, do you have any anything, any projects, anything coming out you want to kind of promote. Man, let I feel like we need to do that for you. Man, what you got, Man.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it. I've been in mogile mode. So right now I'm focused on the redevelopment downtown thirty five thousand square feet. It'll be a two performance venues, course, a recording studio five thousand square feet, education space, uh, coworking space, a food hall. And then right now I'm about three to four weeks out from finishing my first it's really headquarters, but it'll be an additional two recording studios there, photography studio, podcast space, things like that, and then of course you know, still producing. Uh when I.
Speaker 2: Have two new music for any new projects, Uh.
Speaker 5: I can't talk about Dang, Yes.
Speaker 2: You can't talk about you can't talk about on the way.
Speaker 5: That's other way. It's a lot of the way.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it. I love it on the way, Joe, anything for.
Speaker 4: You, nice new Man, just.
Speaker 2: Just doing what you do. Man. Yeah, well yeah, Man, Well I'll say, Joe, I appreciate you know who you are, what you do for for now on the community, but to our to the young kids and how you coach those kids. And obviously you have some success stories in college right now, making ways one of your players top five in scoring now at LSU. Just doing great things. So keep up the good work. And Ao, same thing with you, I know the development, Like I mean you just said it right there. You're creating spaces and opportunities for other people, not just yourself, to really give them a chance to get on. Because that's one thing I've always been comfortable with in my skin is I know who I am and I know what I bring to the table into the game, but I was always willing to help other people if I can give them or drop some knowledge or share some things on approach that may take them to another level or start that process. So you're kind of kind of doing that right now, and Joe you've been doing that. So thank you again man for what you guys. Dude Man shout out to the cool everybody, Chef KP Roddaz all you guys. Man thank you guys for listening. Man, these are my boys. This is what we do. This is what we're talking about the VC show. We out. Let's go all right, here's the Upper Room Playoff dunk of the week, and it goes to mister nas Reed, who had a big fourth, well third and fourth quarter for the Timberwolves to put them in the Western Conference Final. His putback dunk over Yokic goes a little something like this. The interesting thing about this dunk, if you look at it, nas Is gonna take off with one foot, makes the adjustment quickly and goes to two feet and catches it. And yes, he uses Yolkis for a little lift. But at the same time that is a big athletic movie. You see. They're taking off no adjust too, catches it off the one hand. And he had two putbacks and this was one of two. He caught one from the baseline. But I was impressed by this dunk for the simple fact of as he goes down, he had it in his mind he was taking off with one, but he needed to re adjust a little bit. Made for a pretty good dunk, pretty good highlight, and obviously a great win. So I get my Upper Room Playoff Dunk of the Week to nasried. Congratulations. So my next one is who did I run into this week? Well, I know before I said yes, I ran into the TNT crew getting the opportunity to work with the crew. But this week was a little different. I got to participate in the Black Masters for the second time, finished second or third and twenty nineteen, and this year I was coming to win the thing and then mister Charles Barkley shout out to Chuck. He gave me some extra motivation. They didn't show the part where he basically was just saying there was nobody there that had a chance, and he guaranteed them to win. You know how that goes. When he guaranteed there, he is guaranteeing again. And I have to say I had a great time. Shout out to Underdog, who was a Volusia count of boy, which is obviously right outside of Dayton in my area. I think he's from Barbarville. So yes, the two Volusia kind of boys, Volucia County boys linked up and had a memorable, great round. I think we shot a seventy four as a team and chucking those shot at eighty, which that you know they gave us our proximate. They didn't, but they chose not to tell the score. But I'm here to tell you, and we had two big moments. Underdog wasn't great off the team, but I'll tell you what. He hit two huge putts. One was for Eagle. If you see right here, this putt right here was for Eagle. I hit it up on the up on the green. In two and he hit a twenty five thirty footer. I'm talking about nothing. But they were pissed because right here in that video they're showing Underdog putting into the into the saale last year. I was like, hey, it was this teammate. I think his Chuck. Chuck was his teammate last year, and he didn't you know, he ain't coach this guy. He just let him go out there and suffer. And this year we got it together. We had a game plan, we executed our game plan got to eighteen, which, by the way, folks, we had it in hand. And you see right there throwing on the black Master's jacket with a pretty darn interesting logo of Chuck and his old swing. But I wanted Underdog to enjoy that moment as well, because I tell you what his eagle. We were even through nine holes, we eagled ten and we took off from there to win by six shots. We hit our stride getting to put that jacket on. It was a pretty good feeling because Chuck had to give a speech and at eighteen I went for the bomb just so I can say it's over, ladies and gentlemen, it's over. And for that it is over, I get to be a champ and the Black Masters shout out to Ernie, Chuck Keith, Underdog, Eric, Ernie's son. We had a good time and that there is who I ran into this week becoming the Black Masters champion. And my last one for the day is my shoutout. First, I'm gonna give a shout out to Trevor Emmerlman, who I also ran into, and he was on the call for this historic, great moment for Xander Shoffley, who my shoutout goes to winning his first major at Valhalla and it was a amazing particularly his second shot. If you guys remember, he hits it little left. See here, drive goes a little left in that first in that rough right there he has two feet in the sand, hits the ball right in front of the green for a great chip or bumping run, whatever he chose. He goes to kind of a bumping run, got it to stop, I mean, and for a tour player, that's an easy one. But at the same time you're talking about winning your first major. You see it goes left and he almost had the toilet bowl. If he doesn't make that, he goes obviously into extra holes against Bryson d. Chambeau, who was warming up seemed like he was hitting bombs ready to go. I mean, it's amazing to see the tour players and we expect them to kind of do what they do, and when we're in these situations, we look and we're like, there's no way. Just imagine look at all those people in the background having to deal with that hone your emotions and knock down this putt. Amazing. I did get the chance to see and watch, while I say, watch Xander win the gold medal at the Olympics as well. So he's accomplished some great things in his career. Obviously had a rough finish. He ran into a bus saw with Rory McElroy the week before in Charlotte, and for him to really bounce back and just kind of get it done against the naysayers saying can he finish? Says a lot about him and his character and is able His ability to rise up and get it done in a big moment, particularly after what has happened to him before. So shout out to Xander Shoftley for his first major And those were my clips of the week. I hope you once again enjoyed this episode. In every episode we put out, hope you learned a lot. Enjoyed it. Carrying this conversation onto your barbershop, to your couch, around the neighborhood, talk about it, enjoy it. Kick your feet up once again. Man the VC Show, We're out, will see you next week. Let's go