Speaker 1: You can go home again. It's one more thing I'm strong andy thing before we get to that. I don't know when you'll listen to this podcast. We were recording this on April the seventh, nineteen ninety six. But there's a rumor going around flying around the internet that Jimmy Carter has died and he has not. One US Senator Mike Lee put it out on his site, so that helped spread it. Obviously, if you saw it on a senator's site, you'd think it had to be true, but it's not. Yeah, yeah, anyway, So if you were listening last week when we were in Wisconsin for the Republican National Convention, we were in Milwaukee, which is about halfway up the state. I am from southwest Wisconsin, or at least that's one of my many many home states. Lived down there during my grade school years, and hadn't been to see the family home where I lived as a kid for half a century. Oh wow, not quite half a century, but dang there. And so I drove. I rented a car one day like Wednesday, when I was just so sick of the convention and I didn't need to see another speech, and I'm not a big city guy anyway, so I want to get out of town. I rented a car and I drove down to Little Cuba City, Wisconsin, where I lived from second through eighth grade, and then the year before that Hazel Green, which was only two miles away, and before that Glena, Illinois, which is only another seven miles away. Moved a number of times as a kid, but went saw my childhood home and my childhood grade school, which is not only still there, but looks exactly the same. I mean exactly the same as it did when I got on the school bus and left it in nineteen seventy eight or whatever year.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Wow, which is strange that it hasn't changed a bit. The grade school looked exactly the same, The high school next door looked exactly the same. The house I lived in as a kid looked exactly the same. Was the same color, garage looked the same. Nothing to change. Really, town was the same size, roughly two thousand people.
Speaker 2: Well that's funny because the whole you can't go home refers to the fact that home isn't there anymore. The people have changed, the place has changed, the memories you have, this is just not there. Anymore. But your case, it was it.
Speaker 1: Was like exactly the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would almost be disconcerting in a way.
Speaker 1: It was a little bit cool. Yeah, But so my main takeaway was because it's a weird thing. Probably lots of people have done this. It's a weird thing, and it's like bittersweet in a weird sort of way. Because what's the bitter part that you wish? What do you wish you were a kid again? Or I don't. I don't actually ever wished I was a kid again.
Speaker 2: I don't, Thank god, I don't know. Care free times and yeah, exactly the joys of riding your bike and playing and not having to worry about adult stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, I found it just mostly sweet sweet, except for the fact that there are certain concrete things that were significantly docum easily documented better then than they are now. It's not just the rosy glow of history and you only remember the good things and not the bad things of that sort of stuff. I was looking at my grade school. The same playground structure is there is when I was a kid, and I took pictures the same monkey bars, really tall, high dangerous monkey bars over really hard dirt were still there. So is the giant tall metal slide over hard dirt still there? I think, yeah, we call them climbing bars. Now monkey bars reinforce as unfortunate stereotypes about monkeys. They don't have the They didn't tear that down and put up these spongy soft low slide, no monkey bars. Like my park in Davis, California, they've got a little what do you call the merry ground? Is that what you call the things that you see on and you spend except it's got some sort of like governor on it. It's got something that causes friction. You can barely move it as an adult, and you can get it going a little bit and then it stops right away, so that doesn't spin too fast.
Speaker 2: Oh that is fun.
Speaker 1: Isn't that amazing? I mean, And we now know because Europe has done studies that the scary playerground equipment actually helps kids with their anxiety and learning to deal with fear. It's better for them in every way emotionally to climb up on a monkey bars, or go down a fast slide, or spin fast on the merry go round, then to.
Speaker 2: Not And I remember that landmark German study was the German insurance industry said that that the lack of that sort of thing suppresses kids' ability to develop a sense of risk assessment. They have no sense of what they can and can't do, what would be safe, what would be dangerous, and so they kind of careem through adulthood having not worked through this stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, So it it hurts my heart that my kids have never been up on really high rickety slide and had that feeling, or you know.
Speaker 3: A really hot day where it just burns you all the way down.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yes, hotske Bell's character you got to take in Mcuba City, Wisconsin, say climb up that slide, then slide down. If you fall off and land on your head, the hard heart DIBt, you'll have learned something.
Speaker 1: They'll go go, well, yeah, of course, there's all the gravestones around there from all my classmates that died by being on the Merry go Round going too fast or whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you had to step over their bones on the way to the softball field.
Speaker 1: I don't know if my kids have ever been on a Merry go Round where you're spinning it super fast and you're going really really fast and you're hanging on and you're about to fly off. I don't think they've ever had that experience.
Speaker 2: We used to jump off of it, Oh yeah, of course, oh and go tumbling totally out of control across the dirt or grass or whatever's around. We all did.
Speaker 1: But the other part that bothered me even more was there's a steep hill there that's still there, right next to the playground and in the winter time because it's Wisconsin. Okay, now this part is not better. This part. I sent Joe a picture. There's like a on what you'd call it an entryway or whatever to the school where it's a recessed entryway about. And you won't believe this, Katie, because you're a native California where it doesn't get cold, but it's like twenty feet deep or whatever, and you could there's a name for that corridor something like that. The doors cove the doors to the school and then there's like a cement thing you walk into entryway or something like that. Anyway, on super cold days, as a kid in Wisconsin, they would let us have for recess, didn't matter what the weather was. I mean, my kids, if if it's misty outside, they cancel recess. Yes, somebody could get hurt and you will run on the slippery glass. It could be and I'm not exaggerating a bit. This is not a I walk two miles to school, up and down the hills both ways. Whatever. It would be thirty below zero outside with the life threatening cult. Yeah, and it was just too cold to go out on the playground. So we would huddle in the corridor, all up against each other like those Penguin movies for body warmp for the forty five minute recess and told me out there, babies, until they open the door and let us back in.
Speaker 2: We have h we have firmed up. Indeed, it is an alcove. You were You were hiding for your life in an outdoor alcove.
Speaker 1: Twenty says, time you'd go out, huddle limico against each other, help us.
Speaker 2: Hanson said he did the same thing in elementary school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in South Dakota, and you'd huddle against each other. And I just like count the minutes until recess was over, because it was as.
Speaker 2: An eight year old, you're saying to your friends, those who don't survive, I'll see you on the other sides, right, tell.
Speaker 1: My story, you would say, before you went into fifth grade math. Tell my mother, I love to.
Speaker 3: Gosh, yeah, you're right, because I remember recess. If it was raining hard enough, it was movie day or something.
Speaker 2: They would keep us in.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the theory was on that. That doesn't need to be, that doesn't need to hang around. I mean there's probably some benefits and toughening you up or whatever, but that was a little extreme. But the hill next to the playground really steep hill, and in the wintertime it would be snow and it would turn to ice and we would slide down that thing. And everybody would bring their sleds on the bus, So you'd get on the bus with your saucer or your sled or whatever, and we'd stack them in the corner. And at recess it was grab your sled, run outside and just fly down this hill and your saucer spinning around, or wreck your sled and go tumbling to the bottom. Whatever. And the fact that that can't happen at all, not even close anymore, is a bad thing objectively. That's not just the rosy looking at the past. That was a better it was more fun, it was better for you emotionally, and my kids just can't even believe that I got to do that at school.
Speaker 2: And it was so great, especially for the boys who could run off all their exssig so they could sit still unlearn. It's utterly necessary and it has been part of rules forever practically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my memory is it was almost entirely boys. Not all boys, but it was mostly boys. But yeah, it was so much freaking fun.
Speaker 3: I'd be interested to know what the policy is at your school now.
Speaker 1: I wonder, because they have the same playground. I wonder if they let them sled down that hill bring their own sledge. You know, you could never bring your own sled to school, even if it was a perfectly safe hill with like spotters and foam at the bottom. Well the sled you brought a sled, somebody got hurt and we didn't have a chance to check and see if it was defective.
Speaker 2: And there's just not a chart or not all kids have sleds. So there's the equity issue.
Speaker 1: That's why my son can't bring a football to school to play catch with because there aren't enough for everybody to play catch. He can't bring one because some kids wouldn't have one, and that wouldn't that's the most idiotic catching thing I've ever heard. It makes me militant. It makes me want to hurt people with my fists. I know. So that is the That is the taste that was left in my mouth. Was not just the like I said, rosy goal of the past where you emphasize the good. It was objectively better then modern society and the points I just laid out, I mean not even close. And I don't think there's any way to get back to it. I just think it's possible.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: It believes me. It hurts my heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's bad.
Speaker 1: It's bad for the country in every kind of way, not just fun for kids. But it's just that, and all the tentacles of that attitude are so bad for freaking everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree we're a nation of eel calves, an Armstrong and getty saying that probably goes back twenty years and we have not been proven anywhere close to wrong. No.
Speaker 1: I got in conversation with a number of people from different places in Wisconsin about how my kids love it when we go out of state because then they can go to a swimming pool where you're allowed to do a cannonball into the water because they don't let them do that in my town. There's rules against the cannonball.
Speaker 2: Again. You see all the dead bodies floating there in municipal pools all over the country from kids who died of doing a cannon ball.
Speaker 3: There was this great swim hole in my hometown where I grew up, and we used to have this platform you could swim out to and it had this diving board on it that had it was spring loaded. It was so fun and I'll never forget the summer they took it out because they said, no, no, it's not You had to take a swimming test and everything to get out there. So I mean they you know, yet to make sure you could swim. But they they got rid of that thing because it was just too dangerous.
Speaker 1: Right, Nobody died, and I don't think hardly anybody likes this. That's the problem that I've always had with it as a free society democracy. I gotta believe eighty percent. There are people, I know people.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I gotta disagree, but go on, what do you what do you.
Speaker 1: Think the percentages are that that that are okay with? I W Well, I could use the ridiculous example of doing cannonballs in the pool.
Speaker 2: I gotta bright to start there. Well, it depends entire land, where you are, where you live, I'll bet, especially among women, it is six it's two thirds. I think that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I would guess. I know. I this woman who I really really like. I mean, she's just fantastic. But she told me about when the skateboard skateboard park opened up years ago. She and the other moms would go there and sit there and make sure all the kids had their helmets on before they would let them use it. And then you know, she wasn't able to keep doing that when her kids got older. I was like, really, you would go there and enforce these rules on other people's kids whether or not they wanted to wear a helmet skateboarding?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, safety last figure it out for yourself. Kids. You'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But so you think there are a number of people that want the diving board gone, Oh yeah, but it can't be the majority.
Speaker 2: There's no way it's the majority. Is it depends where we are?
Speaker 1: Wow, that's troubling.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: During COVID is when I learned how many people want to be led, and I was shocked by that. They really looked at the government and they want you.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a good, good point there, Michael, Right, look at COVID, Look at the experience. There the number who are utterly willing to shut off their own agency and just do whatever their overlord's told them.
Speaker 1: I tell this story about the time I was painting the whitewash fence and I started trading apples for people and I got other people to paint them. Did that happen to me or tell me more?
Speaker 2: It's a hazy memory, charming. Well, I guess that's it.