Speaker 1: Hi, Hi, Hi Hi. I'm just going through my makeup. I gotta put my makeup on for my podcast because it's not recorded on.
Speaker 2: Vide everyone knows it's a visual medium.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: It is funny too because we have guests all the time who are like, this is not going to be on video, right, And then I'm like, except for Socials, We're gonna put a clip on Socials, so then everybody has to get looking good.
Speaker 4: Okay, guys.
Speaker 1: We have added more shows to my Little Big Bitch tour because I'm coming all over. We added a second show at the Pantagius in Los Angeles, so that's October twelfth and Friday the thirteenth, which is my favorite day of the year. We added a second show in Boston at the Wiging Center September twenty ninth and thirtieth is two shows in New York. I also have a show in East Hampton, New York August twenty six.
Speaker 4: We added a.
Speaker 1: Second show in Portland, so Thursday, November tewod Friday November third, and Portland November fourth and fifth in San Francisco, two shows there. We added a second show in Seattle November tenth and eleventh, two shows Boston are November sixteenth and seventeenth at the Bach Center at Wang Theater. And I'm also coming to Toronto and Montreal and Ottawa and so many other cities Columbus, Cincinnati, Detroit, Louisville.
Speaker 4: So I will see everybody at all of these shows. Thank you. Get your tickets at Chelseahandler dot com.
Speaker 2: So, Chelsea, we have a great guest today and she's somebody who talks a lot about her mental health.
Speaker 5: And I got me wondering.
Speaker 2: You are somebody who's always talked a lot about your life, but a few years ago you obviously made a very conscious decision to start talking really candidly about your mental health. And I wonder was making that decision scary?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: I mean it was so natural.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm always sharing what I'm going through, and it was so natural, and I was learning so much, and it was such a shift in my life. It was a noticeable by everyone that matters to me, and some friends, you know, in ways didn't like that which I had heard could happen.
Speaker 4: And I was it was shocking interesting.
Speaker 1: I remember once I decided I didn't want that. I don't want to spend my time talking shit, I don't. I mean, you know, listen, we all talk shit. There's a time and a place for that, and then there's a way to do it that's not nasty, and there's a way to do it that is, you know, that is nasty. And so I changed a lot of those habits that were giving me, like you know, that were bringing me lower than I want to be. I want to be high and I want to be upbeat. And it wasn't hard to share because I always know that when anybody shares anything, you're helping so many people. And I know that how many people I'm helping because of my honesty, because of my books and my stand up and this podcast, because they reach out and they tell me, and you know, some of the notes I get are so profound and meaningful to me that anytime I feel low or I'm feeling like insecure, I always just go and look through my dms and to be reminded. And usually whenever you're feeling like that, something happens to remind you all so you know, you don't even have to go look that far because somebody will reach out to you and go I just want you to know, like yesterday, I came home. There's all this fan mail on this thing, and I rarely have time to go through that, sure, but I remember walking by it yesterday and I was like, hey, these people are taking their time to write you go read some of them.
Speaker 4: And I did, and it was just so moving, just.
Speaker 1: People taking the time to write something that the impact that you had on a certain event in their life. And you know that your honesty helped me go to therapy and all.
Speaker 4: I mean, you just never.
Speaker 1: Have any idea, even if you're someone like me with a big platform, how many people you're affecting and impacting with that domino effect, So you know, for people who aren't famous, you're affecting people too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know the same way.
Speaker 1: It's like it's not just one person's responsibility, Like you have to remember when you're a good person and you're there for your friends and you're and you show up for them and you're honest, or you're sharing your story, you are helping therapies others.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that you say, like, whether you have a platform or not.
Speaker 2: I got a text recently from a friend of mine on Mother's Day.
Speaker 5: She's a mom, and she texted me she's someone who.
Speaker 2: She doesn't live in LA anymore, so we don't talk as much, but we were really close for a long time. And she's on me this gorgeous I'm like going to cry thinking about it, this gorgeous text message saying like no one in my life has ever mothered me the way that you did.
Speaker 5: I just like lost it. And you know, you just never know what like little things.
Speaker 2: You do on a day to day basis like really get through to people or are moving and impactful for people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And another thing that because I have experienced in death, when someone in my life loses someone, I'm always there. If someone's in crisis, I'm there, I check in, I'm always on it. Because there's a period of grieving where everyone shows up, and then there's a period where people disappear. So that's the most difficult time for people because I lived that and I know it that people feel, you know, they want to reach out to you, and then everyone kind of moves on with their lives, right, So the people that do remember and are like consist and show up beyond the point.
Speaker 5: The week, the month, after year, and even you know, a.
Speaker 1: Very common thing for people to say is like I didn't want to bother. I don't want to burden her she's going through so much. Or it's not my place. It's like it's it's anyone's place. You can to reach out, you don't have to. If they don't care or want you to reach out, then fine, But it's everyone's place to extend a branch and say hey, or not a branch, extend love and say hey, hey, I'm here. If you need me, call me any time. Consistently check in. I think that makes a big difference in other people's lives.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For example, I had a friend who lost someone a couple of years ago, and it was a really sudden and really traumatic death, and I knew she was just like beside herself, not even able to like talk to people, and I just I texted her just every day for the longest time, or every few days for the longest time, just being like I'm here, And I said, like, you don't have to text me back, you don't need to do anything, but I just want you to know I'm here, I love you, and just like consistently did that. Do you have a how do you get a sense of like when someone's ready to talk versus like they just need to know you're there.
Speaker 1: I think you reach out, you know, with texts and like you can call whatever your dynamic is. If it's not a close friend, then you know, I think you you know, if someone dies, you.
Speaker 4: Call, Yeah, you call them immediately.
Speaker 1: And if it's somebody that's far away that you can text, send a text, or you can wait until it dies down and then really go in and say, hey, I've been thinking about you this whole time. I just want to let you know I'm here.
Speaker 4: I don't think there are any rules for that.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't want to harass somebody, but you just want to make sure that they know that you're thinking of them, and that you're in their thoughts and you know, and that you're.
Speaker 4: Just thinking about them. I think that's a comfort.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like I think some people they want to have someone show up at their door, and other people don't, ye know, Like I.
Speaker 4: Don't want that. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I like to be alone when I'm dealing with something, to occults mostly and get through it because it's just such a mouthstrom of emotion, you know, it's up and down and up and down and and and breaking up is easier to be show up for someone because that's not death, right, death is like people are like scared to have to talk about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah you can with a breakup.
Speaker 2: You can show up with like a bottle of wine and a bar of chocolate and like, you know, sit on the couch and like be together.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Okay, So our guest today is a hot mess. I love her.
Speaker 1: She made last year's Forbes thirty Under thirty list and was named TikToker of the Year by Paper Magazine, and of course is also known as Kombucha Girl. So she's the host of the new podcast The Broski Report. Please welcome Britney Broski.
Speaker 7: Is that a beer? Would you imagine if I just walk in with like a Corse light? What is that? Eleven am? So that's going to be a water good death. That's the ship that Travis Burker uses for enemas.
Speaker 4: Britney Brosky just showed up with a beer.
Speaker 7: It's what time is it? It's al.
Speaker 4: That's how some people have to do podcasts. Brittany Broski is here, everybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I hope you're familiar with her because she is a real hot mess and I like her style and she's got a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 4: She has a new podcast.
Speaker 7: Actually, do have a new podcast about that.
Speaker 3: It's called The Broski Report with Brennany Broski in case you couldn't, like, you know, put it together. And it's very much stream of consciousness, just whatever comes out of your mouth, my crazy.
Speaker 7: Beautiful mouth, uh huh.
Speaker 3: It's kind of what makes it onto air. So it's fun, it's it's a lot of fun. We designed the set kind of like if Walter Cronkite was a gay man, which.
Speaker 1: He may have been, which probably, I mean, it seems like almost all men are gay, is what we're figuring out, and that's why they're so pissed.
Speaker 3: Off exactly, And I think that's a beautiful thing. They could just work through it. But it's very nineteen fifty steemed for the set. But the whole idea was, my fans are called Brosky Nation, and I am a tyrannical dictator, like just for prostcadation, Like there are no laws last change daily.
Speaker 7: So I was like, what's a fun way.
Speaker 3: To kind of deliver news to these people of like, all right, guys, we're no longer listening to this we're listening to death tones. Okay, let's let's get with it. And so I was like, we need a news set, and uh, it really came together really beautifully, and it's in my spare bedroom at my house.
Speaker 1: So congratulations, I'm building my podcast you do at my new house and may never be ready. I'm gonna be using your podcast room actually from here on it it is there a medieval times theme for this?
Speaker 7: No, that's just gonna be in my bedroom.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Brittany has gained a lot of notoriety on TikTok because you have a over ten. Did you just throw coffee in your face?
Speaker 7: Vomit?
Speaker 1: Oh guys, I wish this was on video, and it actually happens to be. So maybe this is the clipble use she ejaculated coffee into her face when she went to take a sip the other day.
Speaker 4: I was on a plane and I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess it must have been high because I went to go take a sip and assumed there was like a sippy the top a lid. Oh no, yeah, And I just poured the entire drink down on my shirt and I was like, wait, what just happened?
Speaker 4: I had like a synapse loss and I just poured it on me and I'm like, wait, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: No, I must have been on an edible that's edible behavior, you know. But because of your popularity on TikTok, your podcast now and all of social media, you have a huge following. And because of that, you've gotten to meet a lot of your heroes, which I loved when you met Harry Styles that you are set.
Speaker 4: She's a huge Harry Styles fan.
Speaker 7: Like ridiculous, it's like really actually stupid.
Speaker 4: I mean I think a lot of people probably feel that way.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: That's why when that happened, it was so like, because I don't know about it.
Speaker 7: You're probably not terrified of the internet, but I am.
Speaker 4: And so terrified in which way just of.
Speaker 3: Like people's response to anything, how they can twist it and all that.
Speaker 7: So that happened, and I was terrified at first.
Speaker 4: Let's tell us what happened. Break it down.
Speaker 3: Well, so they surprised me. So I HSHQ, which is Harry's like headquarters. Oh my God, reached out to me and they were like, hey, Brittany, what are you doing on these days?
Speaker 7: And I was like, well, I'm actually kind of busy, but what's up.
Speaker 3: And they were like, he's doing a one night only in New York for you know, Harry's House coming out, and we wanted to know if you would take over the social media for it. And I was like, what the fuck.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm free. I just cleared my schedule. I'm free.
Speaker 3: And so I didn't go into it with this expectation I was going to meet him because I was like, he's so busy. This is the first time he's ever performing this new album. Like, I'm sure he's nervous. He doesn't want to do like a fucking meet and greet, and I don't want to meet him either, like he scares me, Like I love him so much, he's so scary. And so I went into it, like we interviewed fans, we were giving out free tickets, we were giving out pizza.
Speaker 7: It was pouring rain, like it.
Speaker 4: Was just so fun, and you were taking over their social media.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I took over the HSHQ like account and just taking him around the stadium and interviewing fans and stuff. Well, at the end of the night, it's like an hour till showtime. We wrap giving people tickets and whatever, and so I go back. I think we're going back to my dressing room just to kind of like hang out. And I'm walking back in and people start put like bringing out their phones and I'm like, it's kind of weird. And so we're walking in my dressing room and I opened the door and he's right there. And they had told me before, they were like maybe maybe it'll happen another time, but like it's just there's so much going on, like it's not gonna happen. I was like kind of relieve it also like okay, okay, And so I opened.
Speaker 7: The door and they fucking surprised me with him. He's right in my dressing room like this, I run the other way.
Speaker 3: I run out of the fucking room screaming. I was like I can't. It was just like sensory overload. I like went blind for a second. So I ran back in the room. And then that's what that clip is is of me talking to him for like thirty seconds, showed him my tattoo of a Harry Styles tattoo because I'm mentally ill. So that's it was a beautiful, beautiful, scary moment.
Speaker 4: That's so cute, though, who else have you gotten to me like that.
Speaker 3: Are you like a nineteen seventy five fan, like the nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 4: That's the year I was born.
Speaker 1: So I guess yeah, yeah, kind of a little bit, oh I guess yeah.
Speaker 3: Well there's a band called nine seventy five and the lead singer is another one of my like I pissed a little.
Speaker 7: Bit in my pants. I had to go change.
Speaker 4: What's his name?
Speaker 7: His name is Maddie. I love him and.
Speaker 4: That's he only has a one day is he like share?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, just Maddie.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's Mattie Heally and he's very very British, Like think of the most British man you can that's him.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I like Rits.
Speaker 1: I'm always attracted to British guys. It's there's something else happening. It just feels like they know geography, you know what I.
Speaker 4: Mean, And that's what that's a turn on for me. Education is a turn on for me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they can like look at the map and kind of know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Better well rounded or more well rounded. Not better well rounded because apparently I can't speak.
Speaker 4: Eish person would never say that. As usual, I cannot speaking this.
Speaker 5: Britty I have to tell you speaking of mental illness.
Speaker 7: Oh go ahead.
Speaker 2: It was just on vacation with a couple of my girlfriends, and we very much loved your depression meal.
Speaker 5: It came up many times.
Speaker 2: Brittany did this little depression meal that was apples and chocolate chip, just dry chocolate chips on a plate and just laughing and crying at the same time.
Speaker 5: And it is truly made our ocasion much better.
Speaker 4: Good come, yeah, that sounds good.
Speaker 3: And the apples were like a little brown and old, and I like put them in the bowl and dry chocolate chips, and I in my head, I was like dinner and then I ate it and I filmed that video because I started it was so fucking ridiculous, Like that is so stupid.
Speaker 5: But it's also like the thing that happens when you're different stud I've had.
Speaker 7: Like a can of corn for dinner before. That's all I can make.
Speaker 4: That man came out really nicely.
Speaker 1: Anytime I see corn, all I think about is go into the bathroom and I keep having it. I can't eat corn anymore. I'm so over corn. And then I found out about Tito's corn Syrup. A few years ago, I was such a big fan of Titos and that they used so much corn syrup and I.
Speaker 5: Was so in their vodka.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, because it's like a.
Speaker 1: Local Austin company, you know. So I was trying to support that, but no longer. I'm back to Belvidere and King Street for Kate Hudson.
Speaker 4: She she has good vacca with King Street.
Speaker 1: Also, I know you're very involved with the drag community, and since there's so much nonsense going on right now about the drag community, ridiculous banning drag which has turned into just a total dog whistle and basically demonizing trans children for a political point, Like the Republicans are so nasty the way that they're treating drag queens and the arguments. I mean, I posted something on my Instagram about drag queens and you should see some of the comments saying I'm all for people doing what they want, but they need to stop dragging our kids to shows.
Speaker 4: And it's like, cutface.
Speaker 8: What child do you know that's five years old that is going to drag shows without their parents. If they're at a drag show, then their parents brought them there. There are no seven year old children going to dragon shows. On their own, just like there are no transgender children getting surgery either.
Speaker 7: Right. Well, it's also like ask any fucking drag queen. They don't want children there.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't want children at my shows.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like it's such a non issue that they have made into this.
Speaker 7: It's so hyper politicized. It doesn't even.
Speaker 1: Exist the issue exactly, You're right, it doesn't exist. It's such bullshit. It's such a non issue that they sit there and they hammer home, and then these idiots that believe that to be the truth are like, it's wrong that these children, they haven't even thought about the actual logistics of a child going to a drag show, Like are they getting, you know, from nursery school straight to their drag show because that's the field trip.
Speaker 4: No, it isn't. Yeah, so it's all just such bullshit.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I think it's just going to make the drag community louder and prouder and all of its allies, allies. I was sorry, Vanessa Gonzalez. My opener always says you're such a good Alley as a joke because she always mispronounces things. And so now I'm picking it up, and now I'm I'm no, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know how to speak English.
Speaker 7: We'll get their eventually.
Speaker 4: What else is happening in your love life? Do you have a love life?
Speaker 3: I hang out with speaking of drag queens, so many gay people that no, if like that there are no straatmen in my life because I am unfortunately very straight and my type is just not not in or around my immediate sphere. So especially fucking Hollywood, West Hollywood, it's like not a single one to be found.
Speaker 1: Now, So what do you do? You make any effort to date? Do you go on like sites or any dating apps or anything like that?
Speaker 3: Because when I when everything kind of first happened for me, I kind of had like a really upsetting experience where like I realized my anonymity no longer existed, you know what I mean, where like I can no longer just be a woman on a dating app. It's like, oh, you're from and it's like and men aren't respectful ever in the way that they approach that you know of Like, so what's it like? You know, we're asking me questions, it's just like, oh, no fucking way, I matched with U. And it's like, so I deleted all the apps, and I kind of have resigned myself to this, like if I'm going to meet him, it's going to be in the club, or like it's going to be in a party, and then I don't go to parties, so it's like, oh, right, so maybe I won't ever meet a man.
Speaker 7: So that's fine.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hope at some point that you do. You're young, you have time to not be worried about it, exactly. I mean, you have all the time in the world to not be worried about it, exactly. I need something to spike my sex drive. I think I was saying, are you I got nothing going on?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I have something going on, but not sex. It's not it's not it's a lead up. Yeah, it's a hearty outbreak. It's a lead up to possibly sex. I'm talking to some guy. I will meet him at some point and then I'll decide I don't like to talk on the phone before we meet because I don't know that I'm gonna like you.
Speaker 4: So I like texting. And it's funny.
Speaker 1: Because Tinks in her new book was talking about texting is not talking, and I'm like, no, No, texting is talking, Like that's.
Speaker 4: The only talking.
Speaker 1: I want to until I see you face to face, and then if we have great chemistry and great sex.
Speaker 4: Then we could talk on the phone.
Speaker 1: But not for that, Like, I'm not going to waste my phone time with you in advance of the penetration.
Speaker 4: I never know what's happening.
Speaker 2: And if there's chemistry, yeah, I feel like if you're on the phone with someone, you have to like be close to being in love.
Speaker 5: It has to be like serious.
Speaker 7: We got a FaceTime called oh.
Speaker 5: No, that's married.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're married. Only don't think about calling.
Speaker 4: No, that is an assault.
Speaker 7: How do you meet these men where it's only texting?
Speaker 4: This guy I met, I'm riot.
Speaker 7: Yeah you know, Ryle waitlisted me for two years. I'm like, look at me, I'm the people's Are you serious?
Speaker 4: Yes, you can get into ryot and.
Speaker 7: You would think.
Speaker 3: I've had all my friends be like, yeahflisted.
Speaker 7: They hate to see a white woman happy.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I would say to use me as a reference, but maybe that's not going to work for you. Although no, everyone I've referred is on it, so maybe you should use me as a reference.
Speaker 4: You have to enlist me to refer you, Damn.
Speaker 1: When you sign up or apply. You have to say, Chelsea handler picked the peace that you want. It doesn't work the opposite way. I'm pretty sure, Okay, just do it. I'm happy, of course.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: You know what's so funny about my rider is I was the other day.
Speaker 1: I was like my Vanessa, we were on the road, my opener, and she was like, what's going on with Riot? Do you have anything going on with guys? And I said no, I never check it. She goes check it and I was like, well, I just never one ever hits me up. And then I go and I didn't have my alerts on.
Speaker 4: So there were like.
Speaker 1: Fourteen messages from guys that I had missed, but they were all from like six months before.
Speaker 7: I hadn't checked it.
Speaker 4: So I'm like responding to all these guys like six months later. I'm like, hey, are you still there?
Speaker 5: I'm married and saying oh you still want me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 7: We are. I have a question.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not how this podcast works, just to talk about it.
Speaker 7: Do you remember I interviewed you for the TikTok podcast?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sleay, bitch, that's all that conversation you like, I have two things to say. First of all, that conversation kind of changed my life because I was like, this is a whole new way of thinking I've never even like considered because I'm from like the Deep South, where it's like you go to college, you get married, you have a baby, all before you're twenty three. That conversation with you changed my life in like one or two ways. And then I just want to thank you for your service with that interview that you did with Harry Styles where it was one word answers because the world changed that day, like you shifted culture, like like the Hairy fans went fucking firal over that.
Speaker 4: Because he was giggling.
Speaker 7: I was giggling. I just wanted to thank you for your service.
Speaker 4: Oh that's funny. What happened with the conversation. How did the conversation we had changed your life?
Speaker 3: Where you were it was just so like everything that you kind of stand for of like, I'm not going to play by your playbook. I don't want to fucking get married. I don't want to have children like you talked about skiing naked and all those things, where I was just like, this is so like, I've never met a woman like you.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, there's so many of them.
Speaker 7: Well I would like to where's the Chelsea other clone factor?
Speaker 4: Well you're just like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are a lot of women are out here feeling the same way. So I'm just a loud one about it because I feel like there's a lack of representation. I don't feel there is, but now women are getting their voices in a big way. Hey, there window Catherine's husband a very incestuous podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's Christian podcast.
Speaker 4: So what is that water?
Speaker 7: It's just water?
Speaker 4: Why why does it look like a beer?
Speaker 7: Because if that's kind of the branding, just to make you feel like you're it's.
Speaker 5: Just so tiny to me. I can't do the water in a cane.
Speaker 4: I don't like water in a can either.
Speaker 5: You don't like any water though.
Speaker 1: I don't like water, but I don't want to get you know, I just found out I have this like spinal impingement on my neck from probably from wiping out during skiing. But the guy, my doctor, was like, are you hydrated, And I'm like, no, I'm definitely not hydrated.
Speaker 7: This is brown. I'm the opposite of fun.
Speaker 1: I have to get an IV once a week because I fucking hate water so much. Yeah, well, now I drink it, but I have to doctor it up with electrolytes, which is good. But he was like, you have to be hydrated for this to heal because there's inflammation.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh, can't you just put the water in me anyway?
Speaker 1: Okay, we take callers and live people calling in for advice, so you better get your parental hat on.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm feeling very maternal in this moment.
Speaker 1: Big Sister, which is a far cry from the idea of big Brother.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, our first question is just an email, j C says jay z J.
Speaker 4: He says, husband. I think it's actually Jesus Christ.
Speaker 5: Oh, she says, let's sing it wrong.
Speaker 4: First of all, it's Heyesu's Cristy.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: J C says, I love the podcast and I've been listening for a while now. You're both so hilarious and insightful.
Speaker 5: I've been dating this wonderful man for.
Speaker 2: Almost a year now, and he's the best boyfriend I've ever had. He treats me like a princess. He's hilarious, smart, and so so kind. Our sex life is great, except one thing. He calls himself daddy sometimes and has a script during sex about how he's my daddy and I'm his little girl. It's just a long, uncomfortable commentary that I'm not turned on by. Most of the time there's no daddy talk, but sometimes he gets really into it. I usually don't say anything because I've had my fun and I just keep quiet until he's finished.
Speaker 5: He does have some.
Speaker 2: Edy issues at times, and I think the daddy talk helps him get there. My question is do I say anything about how it doesn't turn me on? If I do, how the heck do I bring it up? Or do I just keep my mouth shut and enjoy the sex when it's about me and let him finish with his daddy talk?
Speaker 5: Please help JC.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's rough.
Speaker 4: First of all, Yes, you tell him that you don't like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have autonomy, and you have to in the name of every woman, you.
Speaker 4: Have to say, I don't like this. It doesn't turn me on.
Speaker 1: His erectile dysfunction is not your problem, and he's gonna have I'm sure something else in his arsenal that will.
Speaker 4: Turn him on. He cannot. You can't.
Speaker 1: Just that's like him fucking you in the ass and you're not liking it, but allowing him to do it. I mean, it's not the same thing as that, but it you know, there's no reason to do anything in.
Speaker 4: Sex that you're not comfortable with. You don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure if everything else is so great about him, which you say it is, tell him that you're not turned on by that.
Speaker 4: In fact, it kind of icks you out right right turn on. And I don't know how to say it.
Speaker 7: Just say it.
Speaker 4: You owe that to yourself.
Speaker 5: But maybe say it not during sex.
Speaker 3: Also, Yeah, that's like an over coffee kind of conversation maybe.
Speaker 1: Or maybe like an intimate honey, I know that turns you on. Just I would love another storyline to go with I'm tired of the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe mommy like to be called call himself mommy.
Speaker 4: Daddy and little girl is pretty specific.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's such a tether to like, what's deeply wrong with you when in your sexual kinks, So I feel like maybe maybe they need to talk through it.
Speaker 1: But listen, some people are into funky shit, like I like some dirty talk about weird shit, but not that. But you know, like with the right person, like I like to get like, I like a dynamic, But you just have to find out what you're I'm sure there's another option out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what if the other option is worse? That's my only fear.
Speaker 4: Well, that's then, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's kind of I'm not going to sit and have sex with somebody who's calling themselves daddy. First of all, he should only pick that roll up if you call him daddy, Right, You don't just annoint yourself daddy.
Speaker 7: Igniting yourself daddy. Yeah, you didn't earn that, brother.
Speaker 4: No, Okay, what do we got next?
Speaker 2: Well, our next question comes from Jen. She'll be on the line with us here. Perfect, Dear Chelsea. First of all, I love your advice. It's direct and straightforward. I love my boyfriend so much. He's the sweetest, nicest man ever. To be honest, I'm hyper independent, but he just makes my little heart so happy. He's twenty one years my senior. I'm thirty seven and.
Speaker 5: He's fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love old ass men, and no, I don't have daddy issues. The issue is he's a consultant and works all the time during the week. I get a good morning and a good night text and during the week. Other than that, it's like I don't exist. He does text back if I text, but it feels like I have to always reach out. I have gently let him know that i'd really like to hear from him more. I don't feel like we're dating unless it's the weekend. When I come over, he was a little frustrated, saying he has to talk all day on the phone, and he doesn't have the energy to talk on the phone at night. He said he's just depleted by the end of the day. Am I overreacting by thinking this is total bullshit? Before I sound like too much of a brat. I know he speaks to his sister once per week about a show they always watched together, and my love language also happens to be words of affirmation, but I find it very hard to feel loved and I don't get any words from him, much less words of affirmation. I'm supposed to move in with him soon, hopefully two months from now, but I'm wondering if that's the right move on my part. Are we just going to not talk during the week even though we live together. I can take any constructive criticisms you all can give.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much.
Speaker 7: Jen Hi, jud Jen Hi.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 4: This is our special guest Brittany for today Brusky Hi Gorge, Hi Hi.
Speaker 7: Okay, what a situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell us more. We read your letter, so you don't text with him even during the week.
Speaker 6: So I basically get like a gift in the morning, so it'll say good morning, and it's a gift. He's just a gift person. And then at night it's good night. I love you with a gift. That has been for like the past three four months. And sometimes we do talk, but it's rare. For instance, three weeks ago, he called me and he talked to me for about thirty seconds and then said, oh, I gotta go, my boss is calling me and I said okay, and then we didn't talk for the rest of the day and then I got my good night gifts. So I know, I know, it is kind of like a funny situation, but it's also like I don't know what to do.
Speaker 4: Well, okay I was.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you said you're going to move in with him, I just figured problem solved because obviously you're going to talk when you live together.
Speaker 6: Right, That's what I think too. But here's the thing, so I brought this up six months ago, and that's when he had and I call it his little temper tantrum, but really it wasn't. He was just frustrated.
Speaker 4: I get that.
Speaker 6: But that was six months ago, and I thought that we were going to move in within the next couple of months because this house would be done. Well I don't know when his house is going to be done now. I mean, they keep pushing things back, and so could it be another six months? And am I supposed to live like this for six months? And I know that there's like an end goal, but still it's very frustrating.
Speaker 4: And remind me again how long you guys have been together.
Speaker 6: So we've been together since November.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty one, so a couple of years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, almost a couple of years.
Speaker 4: Yes, And it.
Speaker 6: Hasn't always been like this, But I can understand he you know, he has a lot on his mind and a lot on his plate. But when I brought it up a while ago, I said, look, I'm sure the president of the United States still calls and texts his wife and he's got a lot more shit going on than you. Trust me, oh am, I allowed to say shit, Yeah what, yes, yes, you are the show right.
Speaker 7: Are you? Yes?
Speaker 5: But I'm nervous.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Oh no, don't It's okay. Yes, you could say whatever you want, thank you, KND pussy fuck twist, I mean titty twist or whatever, just twist twist. So okay, a couple of things, Brittany, do you want to jump in or do you want me to start?
Speaker 3: My question is well, I guess more of a statement is if he wanted to, he would like. I think that that's the overarching thing here is he's kind of making it evident that communicating with his partner is not really top of his priority list, agreed, even after like bringing the issue up to him. So that's kind of this, like, is he just willfully ignoring me on purpose?
Speaker 7: Does he really care about me? Am?
Speaker 3: I just an afterthought? Like that's that's where my spiral would start.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I even wrote all my bullet points down. That's just the person that I am. That's weird, I know, but I just want to get it all out and I want to make sure like I'm hitting every single bullet point because I want him to know how I feel. And this isn't like a I'm blaming you. This is more like a I feel this way, so please take care of it because if you don't, And I hate ultimatums, and this is kind of an ultimatum. But I feel like I'm such a strong person and I've been married and divorced and I just know what I want in life. And if you're not it, that's okay, that's totally fine. And if you can't meet me here, which I don't think it's a lot to ask to call me once a week.
Speaker 7: No, that's bare minimum.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's literal bare minimum.
Speaker 1: So and the idea of you want more interaction, he wants zero pretty much interaction except against during the week, right, So in a relationship there is compromise, like he's got to meet you in the middle. He's just doing what he wants without regard for your desires, without making any effort, especially when I know how that feels when somebody's like, oh, i'll call you right back and then or I have to get off the phone. You expect a call back when they are done with their boss. So that's neglectful. And it's just it's not a compromise. It's not fifty to fifty what you're describing. You have needs, He doesn't have to meet every single one of your needs. That's also an unfair demand. But he has to be able to come to meet you where you are and say, this is what I can do, even though I hate talking on the phone. You know, let's make sure we connect midweek or a couple of times a week, whatever would make you happy. That would be, you know, a move in the right direction. And it doesn't have to be an ultimatum. You can just declare that and then see how he responds to it, and then you're going to gather all the information you need. He'll either be able to do it or he won't. Right, And you shouldn't have to move in with someone to get to see them exactly.
Speaker 6: You know, we do spend weekends together. And I don't tell him this, but this is how I feel when I see him on Friday night, like the whole week is just dumped on me, and it's like, oh, I did this, and this happened, and then we did this, and I'm like, can we break it up during the week and tell me these things because right now I've had a full week and I'm just exhausted and I just want to chill and smoke some weed and hang out and you know, do my thing. And so it's it's a little bit hard, and I'm not afraid to talk to him about it. I'm going to talk to him about it because I feel like I.
Speaker 4: Deserve more and good.
Speaker 6: I am a strong woman. I can do it all alone. I can be by myself, no big deal. The thing is that he is just such an amazing person. And maybe you know, I didn't make it super clear. Maybe I just need to be like, hey, this isn't going to work for me.
Speaker 2: Or maybe it's hey, Wednesday nights, let's either go grab a drink or let's have like a half hour phone call just being like, you know what, let's throw in a midweek thing. But also, is there a way that you guys can move in together before his house is done?
Speaker 5: Is that possible?
Speaker 6: I wish? I mean honestly, so right now he has kind of like a luxury trailer on his property because he has like a full like kind of farm with the animals, so he has to be there. But I mean it's such a small thing, and me moving in my stuff.
Speaker 4: Got it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I actually really like this time myself alone because I was in fifteen year marriage before this, and it ended in twenty twenty. And I am totally fine living on my own. You know, I like it.
Speaker 1: You see, you seem very together and very grounded and competent. So like, I'm not worried about your situation at all. I think you're going to handle everything the way that it needs to be handled, and you have absolutely every right to say what you want, and then he can show you that he's moving towards that direction.
Speaker 4: You know, he doesn't have to bend over backwards for you all the time.
Speaker 1: But it's just a consideration that you deserve and when you put it and frame it like I just feel like I deserve better or not better, say I deserve more from somebody who's I'm in a committed relationship with, and for that to be too much to ask from you doesn't make me feel good about us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's exactly what I've written down. You know. All my bullet points are just like, if you wanted to, you definitely would, And to me, you're showing me you don't want to, and that's okay, that's okay you don't want to. I don't want to force you. However, that doesn't mean that I have to be in this relationship as well. I mean it would break my heart, of course, but I mean it is what it is. You can't force someone to do something.
Speaker 1: But I think that's also stating it like that, saying you know, if you can do this, that would be great and that would be significant in us remaining together. But I have to be honest, I'm starting to feel like you're not willing to compromise and that's making me question things and that would be heartbreaking for me. But I also need a certain amount of respect or consideration about, you know, what you desire rather than what's he desires, which is not talking on the phone at all.
Speaker 7: Right, I was gonna say, also there's like this.
Speaker 4: Maybe I should date him. Actually, I also don't want to talk on the phone.
Speaker 6: I would love to just you know.
Speaker 3: There's also this weird dynamic of it seems like it's all about him all the time.
Speaker 6: And you know, I think maybe he is a little bit that way. I wouldn't say that he's a selfish person. I think that sometimes he can become self centered. I've never held that against him. However, the man when I'm.
Speaker 4: With him, he just adores me.
Speaker 6: He loves on me. He buys me anything I want. If I literally go into any store and say, okay, I want this, he's like cool and he just buys it. And I know for some people that's like, oh, well, that's.
Speaker 7: Not a big deal.
Speaker 6: For me, it's so nice because I'm like, really extra, I'm gonna I'm gonna be honest, and I'm like, oh wow, a man wants to buy me stuff in dote on me. But it's like the weirdest thing. Even my friends think it's so weird. And I've even asked him, like, do you have another family that you're entering.
Speaker 5: It crossed my mind.
Speaker 6: Are they all living in this trailer with you? No? But but you know, like I've asked him and he's like, no, absolutely not. And I do see how focused he is and he enjoys his job. He's very much focused. But you know, me being younger and also maybe just kind of a little bit brattier than he's normally used to and not I'm really not a brat, but when I want something, it's like, can we just do this, Let's just do this. You know. I think I'm a little bit of a challenge for him, but sort of in a good way. And I'm really hoping this all ends up. Yeah, I want it, Tom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And don't be a brat when you have this conversation, because there's nothing bratty about it, right, you know, there's nothing whiny or complaining. It's I think it's much more effective to just say this is what I need in a non emotional way, so that it helps a little bit more, has a little bit more heft than just being like I need you to call me. You know, it's yeah, it's not a needy thing, it's a respect thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And putting a date on it of like, hey, let's talk for twenty or thirty minutes on Wednesdays gives an actionable goal that like either meeting or not meeting, rather than like let's just talk more, which is more vague. Right, But Jen, let us know how it goes. Okay, I'm interested to hear.
Speaker 4: I want to hear how the conversation goes. To follow back up.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, we'll do Thanks everyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks honey, goodbye, Okay, thank you, bye bye bye.
Speaker 4: Catherine was done with that call. She's like, Okay, we gotta move on. That goes She's like, I want to get a kidney transplant. Catherine's like okay, well.
Speaker 5: Good like goodbye.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 5: Our next color is Hallie. She is dear Chelsea.
Speaker 2: I'm the youngest of three girls, and my oldest sister has a very tense relationship with our mom. She immediately goes on the defensive around her, and every time they're together they get into at least one little snippy conversation. I'll admit our mom can be difficult, but I think my middle sister and I are more able to see that the things she says and does are often coming from a place of insecurity. Even if we get into an argument with her, we're more able to move on and give her some grace.
Speaker 5: Our oldest sister just.
Speaker 2: Seems to assume the worst and hang on to every little thing. Then she'll complain to us about it, and we're not sure what to say. I think she wants her kids to continue to have a relationship with our mom, but it feels like she's at a crossroads and needs to decide how she's going to move forward with her own relationship with her, as the current state of it makes it unpleasant for everyone. The irony is that my oldest sister and our mom are more similar than they care to admit. How can my middle sister and I help our older sister figure out how to improve her relationship with our mom, what boundaries to set and what conversations to have? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Speaker 4: Hallie Hi, Halle Hi, Hi.
Speaker 1: This is Brittany Broski. She's our special guest today.
Speaker 7: Hallie, Hey, nice to meet.
Speaker 1: It's funny I had a conversation with a girlfriend this morning on the phone because to her sister just was visiting her and she's like, everything my sister does annoys the shit out of me, and my friend is just the most, in my opinion, is the sweetest, most easy going person in the world. So to hear her even talk like that about her sister is it's always just a test, right, Like it's basically the universe testing you, because if you keep failing the test that it keeps triggering you and triggering you. And you have to basically talk to your sister about treating your mom with kid gloves and actually treating your mom like she's.
Speaker 4: A kid, think of her like a kid.
Speaker 1: And even though that's fucked up, because you're the kids, you and your youngest sister.
Speaker 9: I'm the youngest, so it's me and my middle sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you and your middle sister are obviously okay with it and you're not taking it to task and it's not disrupting your life. Right.
Speaker 4: I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think that makes sense, and they're probably the similarity between the two is why they are clashing, which is very obvious. Also, so it's a very easy like psychology lesson, but on a spiritual level, like in terms of energetic being and your vibration and being cool and attracting goodness, it is that you are lifting yourself up out of kind of a low vibe when you have room and space for people that you don't necessarily want to have room and space for, or that annoy you, or that trigger you, or all of the history that's involved. So for her, if there's any way for you to engage her in a conversation where you're talking like this about it, like, hey, treat mom like she's a little kid. Let go of the anger, Like try to just use it as a practice, Like even when I am annoyed with someone, I make it a note to send a text out to them and say, hey, just thinking about you love you just be because I want to flip the switch on my own script in my head, you know, put out love and when you're feeling negative, like it'll change her whole entire life if she's able to let go of the tension, And it won't happen overnight. But it is a practice, just like anything you do to be a better person or be a more mindful person and practice loving kindness. She needs love your mother. She's obviously damaged. Your sister's obviously damaged from your mother, so she's holding on to it. But what a great victory lap would it be for your sister if she could release that and look at her with pity and treat her like a little girl instead of like she's expecting her to be your mom. Right?
Speaker 9: And what do you think about the fact that she our oldest sister kind of puts me and our middle sister in the middle a little bit and kind of will express her grievances about our mom to us. And again, I mean, I think we have challenges with her too, so I can on the one hand, I can see it, and I want her to feel supported in that, but I also don't think it's healthy for her then to be coming to us with those difficulties that she's having.
Speaker 4: I agree with that wholeheartedly.
Speaker 1: She shouldn't And you can say that in a very loving way as well, like, hey, I love both of you. It's upsets me every time you come to me talking about Mom. It's upsetting, Like, I just want you guys to get along. And I know it's not as easy for you, clearly, but I think that there might be a reason why it's not easier for you. That might be your challenge. Like that's a test, and if you can get past that, and you can ace that test, then there's a whole bunch of other.
Speaker 4: New stuff in the world that you're not going to. You know, you minimize the irritation of that person by just showering them with love, acceptance, and understanding and not looking for them to deliver something they've never shown you in the first place.
Speaker 2: There is a book called The Dance of Anger that you might recommend to your sister.
Speaker 5: It helps sort of unlatch.
Speaker 2: Some of that repetitive behavior of like going straight into anger. I know I had a pretty strained relationship with my dad maybe ten years ago, and it's got a lot better, and I think you know there is room for us to learn and change and grow, but your sister does have to be, as Chelsea said, like making that effort to do that. I think it can just stay stagnant or get worse if someone's not actively trying to improve the situation.
Speaker 9: Right, Yeah, I think I think she's kind of in like a constant state of fight or flight, you know, with our mom, So that makes retal sense trying to help her lovingly, help her get to that place of having that dialogue with herself and figuring out what she can do to take steps to move forward.
Speaker 1: Because usually when you're acting like that, it's because you're seeing a part.
Speaker 4: Of you that you do not like.
Speaker 1: Like the similarities in you, we give the best advice of what we need to seek the most. When you see somebody that drives you crazy, it's because they're representing something in you yourself that you don't like.
Speaker 4: Brittany, were you going to say something, I was just gonna say, Yeah, it's an active choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Relationships like this are little moments of active choices where either you or your sisters are choosing whether or not to engage. And, like Chelsea said, how you're approaching it, to flip the switch and be like, in this moment, I'm recognizing this feeling of you know, the fighting is starting, or that pissed me off, or here we go back to the same shit, where making an active choice to just take a breath and respond differently because it is a choice, you know, Like that is to keep that in mind, that you have the power over how you react to a situation. All your siblings do, and your mom does too. But it's I deal with this with my mom where I am the parent and my mother is the child, and I have to gentle parent my own mom and it's fucking infuriating, and I have to take a breath and I have to like do breathing exercises in the bathroom. But like it's made all the difference, and it's a hard, hard thing. Family shit is so hard feeling you, feeling you sis, dang.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 9: To your point, I think, of course, then I can decide how I react to them having their own reactions, you know exactly, So I can decide that I'm not going to have an inflammatory reaction to that circumstance. However, I think, like there are kids involved who are hearing them, you know, disagree. So I feel like, you know, I do want to be able to help them if I can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's just it's all love based, it's all expression of love.
Speaker 4: For instance, my sister in law is.
Speaker 1: Annoying to me, and I really argue a lot about politics and stuff, but I realize how pointless it is to engage, right, So, and this has been a work in progress for many years. And so now when I see her, I just like shower her with love and affection, just shower her.
Speaker 4: With love and affection.
Speaker 1: And it kind of like my feelings towards her have diminished. My anger towards her has diminished, and I am feeling like, oh, she's just not open to our accessible, like she's she's been indoctrinated. She's Russian, you know, like she doesn't she's never going to believe.
Speaker 4: That food is a bad guy. That's sad. Actually, that's she's been brainwashed and indoctrinated.
Speaker 1: So instead of going at her with anger, now I'm just trying. And this is I'm trying. I haven't, you know, been completely successful thus far, but I'm working hard to make sure that my interactions with her are just love based and there isn't any acrimony.
Speaker 5: If all else fails.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes a little ant anxiety, a little out of anne or something like that before you have a family get together doesn't hurt.
Speaker 4: That's a great idea.
Speaker 5: Actually, yeah, totally edibles.
Speaker 4: Does she take edibles?
Speaker 1: Your sister doesn't sound she sounds like she might need an edible though, right, you might want to slip a wanting to situations. It's not a bad idea, Yeah, And then you could bring that up too, go like, let's figure this out together, Like how can we make it easier for you?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's it too, Like I she's not having a good time exactly, and I think she wants to be able to have a good time with our mom and with our family, and you know, so I can see that she wants that, but I think she just doesn't know how to get there.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, she's lucky, first of all to have a sister like you that cares so much about your family dynamic. That's so sweet and that's exactly what sisters are good for.
Speaker 4: Brittany, do you have any sisters?
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 3: I have a sister and a brother, and there's a big age difference between us, Like I'm six and seven years older than them, but it's just so funny how we were all raised in the same.
Speaker 7: House and we're so so different. And I'm seeing that you too.
Speaker 3: Where it's like, yeah, yeah, that oldest child gets the brunt of it, Like I definitely got the brunt of it. And it's funny how it affects you so differently than like you being the youngest, Like it's just you know, you're in the same house, but you're such different people.
Speaker 7: That's such a Families are so funny.
Speaker 9: They are they are well, thank you, thank you all. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Oh well, you're cute. I like your sweater, I like your how much?
Speaker 9: Good luck with everything, God speed, Yeah, thanks everybody.
Speaker 5: Ye bye.
Speaker 1: It's funny because when we talk about siblings, like when there is an age difference as I have in my family and you do too. You know, there are two different kind of ways to look at it, because I always think every your sisters and brothers.
Speaker 4: Are the only ones who knew what happened. They are the only ones who know exactly what went down in your household.
Speaker 1: So my connection to my brothers and sisters is very strong because we were so disfrunct. Our parents were pretty dysfunctional. I mean we you know, never went hungry or anything.
Speaker 4: But it was just a hot mess.
Speaker 1: And then you hear from other people that are like, oh no, we had totally different childhoods, even though they're from the same set of parents. They had because of the age gap, had different childhoods. So I guess at least my parents were dysfunctionally consistent.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, everyone got it fairly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My older brother and my younger brother are fourteen years apart. Wow, and there's like a boy and a girl and then I'm girl and then boy. But we're so far in distance from each other as far as age goes. My older brother likes to say, like, I'm glad I got out of the house before my parents got bored with parenting.
Speaker 5: Like, but I loved it. I mean it was great.
Speaker 2: They still parented, but it was like we had sugary cereal and they had Raisin brand, you know that sort of you.
Speaker 7: Know, a little lax When you get to that fourth kid, it's just like, yeah, I ever did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like they write you a note saying good luck.
Speaker 7: Oh truly.
Speaker 2: My parents traveled all the time when we were growing up, people are be like, where are your parents now?
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't know, They're just gone. Someone's saying with us somewhere. Yeah, we had fun.
Speaker 7: We had a good time.
Speaker 3: My siblings, they're my half siblings. So, like my parents got divorced when I was one or two, and then my dad remarried when I was four, and then from then on, I've had half siblings. And it was It's so funny because I was always thought one out obviously because I was older, and I was going back and forth because of custody battles and all that.
Speaker 4: And oh were their custody battles.
Speaker 3: Constantly growing up until like high school. But it was like my siblings just kind of watched that, you know, and they were like, who is.
Speaker 7: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Brittany has a mom like another mom, Like they just didn't understand, but kind of understood, and it didn't really affect like all through that, it didn't really affect our relationship, which is cool, like you said, you know, like we all grew up in the same house. Like I was still being parented by my dad and my stepmom the same way that they were, and my dad really made an effort to like, if one of y'all's punished this way, the other one will be too, you know, like there's no special treatment, there's no whatever. And I think that really really paid off because I feel like some parents, you know, you have to do different parenting techniques for different kids, and that shows up in their adult life of like I was never told no or I was never this that. So I'm very fortunate that I had parents with level heads, especially in the midst of a divorce, like a nasty divorce too, where some people aren't so lucky. So it's an interesting dynamic with half siblings too, because it's like we're kind of blood related but also kind of.
Speaker 5: Not yeah, not at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is interesting. And also just to be a.
Speaker 1: Child of divorce and all of that that comes with that, because it can be one experience for one person a quite different one for another person. So when they were having custody battle over you, how did they drag you into that?
Speaker 4: Did your mom or dad?
Speaker 7: Not? Really?
Speaker 3: They never argued in front of me, which I'm very very thankful for, but I did like every other weekend, I was back and forth from probably like the ages of six to about six sixth grade, and that was hard, you know, like I don't know where I'm gonna be and I have homework that's due, but I left this at my mom's house and I need.
Speaker 7: It's just a mess. And it was like.
Speaker 3: Resuing for custody over and over and it was just messy.
Speaker 4: But well, at least you were wanted, period.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what a what a good problem to have.
Speaker 4: They want me to look that both parents wanted action. Yeah, that's nice.
Speaker 1: I'm always so touched when a man is so determined to get custody. And then I'm like, listen to what you're saying. Parents, Why do we give that so much credit for behaving like a fucking father.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, let's take a quick break and we'll be back to finish up with Chelsea and Brittany.
Speaker 5: And we're back, and we're back, and I have one more question.
Speaker 2: It's it's a little long winded, but I think it's an interesting one.
Speaker 1: To excuse me, Brittany just had to go to the bathroom in studios.
Speaker 4: Are you okay?
Speaker 5: Hey there in the corner?
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry about that, Sorry about that. Listeners, my fault. She's just wrapping up some COVID.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just a finishing up here really quick.
Speaker 4: Just top it off for COVID with her beer.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: In the vein of Jen getting bought things from her boyfriend, Ashley says, Dear Chelsea, I'm twenty eight and I've been dating my boyfriend, who's twenty nine, for a year and a half. He's an amazing and loving man and surpasses all of the other men I've been with. The problem I keep coming back to, though, is our differing views on money. I was raised in a very broke, conservative household until I left home in my early twenties, but that really set me back in my education and career. I'm an extremely hard worker and have been even before I graduated high school, but that's mostly been out of necessity. In truth, I've always dreamed of going to art school and finding a creative career I enjoy. His life is the complete opposite. He owned a business and now has a great job, which he loves. He's not extremely wealthy, but he's very secure and the important things are paid for in full, including his home. I've moved in with him and things are good, but I'm constantly struggling, whereas he's comfortable financially. He used to pay for a lot when it came to dates and other little things, but as we became more serious, he made it very clear that he wants to share expenses. He's even asking me to pay rent. I understand splitting the utilities we both use, but he wants me to pay him for rent even though his house is paid off. Currently, I work a full time nine to five job that I don't like, and also waitress in the evenings and weekends to supplement my income and pay off the data I accumulated by moving out of my home before I was financially able. I'm also taking some courses online so I can continue my education. I've noticed some resentment building up as he sees me constantly struggling and tired, but doesn't seem inclined to alleviate the burden.
Speaker 5: There's no bigger.
Speaker 2: Turn off than when a guy asks you to split dinner when you're just thinking of all the bills waiting for you. I'm plagued with guilt for even thinking this, when women are encouraged to be independent and successful and not rely on a man. But I'd love nothing more than to go back to school and find a career I enjoy, but it's practically impossible for me to do that on my own if I still want to cover my bills and debt before adding on to it. I don't expect him to fund my lifestyle or put me through college, but help with our shared expenses and activities will go a long way, as I have to think about every dollar I spent. At the same time, I know I could find someone who's willing to do that for me, and I've had plenty of opportunities to pursue other relationships where I'm supported financially. Even with my waitressing job, I constantly get offers by men who want to whisk me off my feet and fund my lifestyle, but that's not for me. I have no desire to leave, as I'm very happy with the love he provides, but my life can be exhausting. He sees how happy I am when I'm working on my art and knows what I want to do with my life. But he's so practical and approaches relationships as two separate people improving themselves on their own. Should I stick it out even though I'm struggling, Ashley.
Speaker 1: I would first of all say, who cares if men at restaurants are offering to whisk you away. You don't want that. That's not even part of the conversation. Because of course you can find somebody else to pay your bills if that's what you're looking for. But if you're looking for mutual respect within a relationship, I don't think it's crazy to ask for a little bit of help, especially when he owns his house. I mean paying rent for somebody who bought their house. That when you're in a loving relationship, is a little strange.
Speaker 7: That's what you do.
Speaker 4: Like that doesn't sound kosher. And you're working multiple jobs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not like she's not her death. She's hustling one thing.
Speaker 1: If you're sitting around lazy and you're like I don't want to work, you're gonna pay for everything?
Speaker 4: No, you're not doing that.
Speaker 1: I don't think he should be funding your lifestyle either, but he can definitely be helping if he's in a more advantageous position than you are, which clearly he is. So yes, it's worth a conversation about support. And it's not a demand or a ultimatum.
Speaker 4: Or anything like that.
Speaker 1: It's like, hey, I'm really having a hard time here, me paying you rent feels weird. I'm totally down to split utilities, but every time you want to split the bill, like, it makes me feel like we're in a business relationship and I'm going through this time and you want to get your degree and move towards that art passion that you have and go back to school at all of those things. And this is exactly the time where you need support from your partner and in pursuit of that. And it won't last forever, but you need it during this time. And that's a very reasonable thing to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's also to improve not just your situation, but your situation together. You know, his help during this time will give you, guys a better life ostensibly in the future.
Speaker 7: Right. I think there's also I mean, be sensitive, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like this guy sounds like, all right, well, everything's fifty to fifty, Like life doesn't really work like that. Sometimes sometimes ideally it should be fifty to fifty, but in a situation like this. My best friend's kind of in a similar situation where she makes significantly less than her husband and they split bills fifty to fifty and recently, I mean, in the last six months. She kind of was like, I am struggling and I am in a committed, loving marriage, and this just doesn't feel fair. And she approached it with her husband and they worked it out where of course, because he makes more money and they live together, they share everything, he'll pay for more, you know, like it's like seventy thirty now, And that is totally because y'all are literally married. It's the same legally in front of the Lord and all his witnesses. I just think that there's logic and then there's functional relationships. So in that situation, it feels like cut her some slack, dude, you know, if you really love her and you see how she's struggling, and you see how she wants to dedicate She doesn't want to fucking work seven jobs. She wants to dedicate time to her art whatever. Help her do that because you love her, and it's not you know, sacrificing her autonomy or her independence or her whatever. You can still be in visuals in a relationship, but I think that, yeah, just be fucking for real, be.
Speaker 7: So for real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think working one job should be plenty in this situation. You know, if you have a conversation with him about like I want to quit my waitressing job. I want to keep this job, and like you said, maybe not splitting things fifty to fifty as far as the bill goes. But there's also a way to do it where you're each paying the same percentage of the bill according to your income. You feel it the same amount.
Speaker 7: And please don't.
Speaker 1: Introduce the idea when you're having this conversation of other men or other opportunities.
Speaker 4: That's not important. Yes, it's not good to dangle that stuff in front of people. You know.
Speaker 1: I had a boyfriend who's like, do you know how many people are hitting me up on Instagram? I'm like, go, then, no thought about who's dming you on Instagram?
Speaker 7: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so that's good advice, Brittany. You have been giving very good advice. Y.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sorry I sound surprised. I're like, you're actually pretty competente. Confident and Confident two of my favorite series.
Speaker 1: Yes, so thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to see you again.
Speaker 3: Yeah. When you help me get on Riya and when I introduce you to my husband.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not gonna have to see you to get you on Riah, but I like that's how you think it works and the zoom zoom. And that's our episode for today. Everybody, Thank you, we'll see you next week.
Speaker 7: Thanks team.
Speaker 2: If you'd like advice from Chelsea, shoot us an email at Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com and be sure to include your phone number. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brad Dickard executive producer Catherine Law and be sure to check out our merch at Chelseahandler dot com