Speaker 1: Joe was right, it's one more thing. What I'm one more thing.
Speaker 2: Something you have repeated on the show for many, many years.
Speaker 1: Is definitely right. But before we get to that.
Speaker 2: One of the most interesting things that happened in the world to me in the last twenty four hours is around the whole Iran war thing. Donald Trump threatening to kill the negotiators for Iran, Yes, before they could get back to their country. I will kill you in Switzerland or in the air or something I guess he was. And how it got almost zero news coverage.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Now wild?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is both wild and unwild?
Speaker 2: Is it a wild?
Speaker 4: If it were anybody but Trump who says crazy crap all the time?
Speaker 2: Is that because you would not have a headline on day thirty of Boy Cribs Wolf last night if he'd cry I cried the previous twenty nine ninth Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's part of it. I'm sure Marco slapped his forehead and said, do I even tell him what that would do to international relations? Or No? Probably not.
Speaker 2: Do you think there was even the tiniest bit of I would follow through on this to that threat?
Speaker 4: He was probably Okay, So what you're asking is did he understand he was saying something ridiculous that he would never follow through on when he said it, or was there an inkling of intent? Is that what you're asking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me read it to you. I will use the actual word since we're doing a podcast. Yes, Iran threatened to close the strait of horror moves at the negotiations. So you got some Iranian delegates there in Geneva, Switzerland negotiating. They threatened to close the strait of horror moves. Trump's response was, you close it and you won't have a country. You won't even make it back to your fucking country.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's uh, that's a negotiation that's hit rocky terrain there.
Speaker 2: All right, here's the thing you've always been right about. And I don't know who said it first, but the whole uh, if you dissect humor.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's like a dissecting a frog that the frog dies of it.
Speaker 1: So does the joke. I can't see.
Speaker 4: Some woman, some female comedian said that once and I was like, wow, that's a good point. And it's generally it's done by people who intentionally want to pretend it's not humor, and it's some you know, political statement that they can then condemn you and punish you for.
Speaker 2: So I was kind of looking forward to it. This was a piece in the Washington Post. Science suggests cringeworthy dad jokes may serve a real purpose. This was for Father's Day yesterday. Humor is a surprisingly important aspect of parenting in that silly one liner may help strengthen the bond between fathers and children. And it's just already like took the fun out of it for me.
Speaker 3: Oh, the describe me having to describe psychologically how it affects the relationship between a parent and their child to tell these jokes, and then it's got jokes inners person between.
Speaker 2: But having surrounded it with this diagnosis from psychiatrists about why it.
Speaker 1: Works, it takes all the fun out of it for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because it does because the humans have always done that. Leave it alone, and if you're in that field and you study it, great, come to your conclusions and keep it to yourself.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Research suggests that humor may play a meaningful role in parenting, and shared laughter may help strengthen father child bonds. Research suggests money have you ever had kids, have you ever hung around with your kids in the car, at the dinner table or whatever, and like, you're joking and laughing, and you need to research to suggest that maybe that's kind of a cool thing between y'all.
Speaker 4: Right, a lot of folks at the universities haven't. The number of conservative women on campuses is practically zero. I was reading about that the other day. And conservative women are much much, much more likely to be moms than progressive women. So yeah, there are very there. Comparatively, there's an insanely low number of college academics who have children compared to the population. Anyway, back to you, and you're rooting of humor.
Speaker 2: It's a fun genre of humor because it's welcoming, it's kind of affable, it's good nature and lighthearted, said Paul Sylvia, a professor of psychology at the University of North Carolina. Really, while there are a few studies on dad jokes themselves, you know why, because there's really no need to study this now for any reason whatsoever.
Speaker 4: You wasting your time and your degree.
Speaker 2: Sylvia, the researcher has been analyzed and analyzing them to to determine what makes some funnier than others. He'll probably put out a paper about how it increases the bond between parents and kids to tell these jokes, and it will write this, and it will get published in several things, and then he'll be a published researcher. And as we all know, none of these papers ever get read or cited by anyone. They don't need to accomplish anything.
Speaker 4: He will be cited as a humor expert, though, when The New York Times tries to ruin somebody's career for making a joke.
Speaker 2: In a preprint of a preprint of his study, Sylvia and his colleagues analyzed more than thirty two thousand jokes from Subreddit and identified three qualities that appeared to make up the best dad jokes. Puns exce on literalization and pedantic humor.
Speaker 1: He said, some of the most.
Speaker 2: Classic ones use a pun so long boiling water, you will be missed.
Speaker 1: Im lst. I get it.
Speaker 2: Literalization, which turns a common concept or expression into a physical reality, is while widely used as well. I'm worried about the calendar. It's days are numbered with pedantic humor, this PhD said. The jokes are sets up the joke and then derails it.
Speaker 1: I've always liked this one.
Speaker 2: What's blue and smells like red paint?
Speaker 1: Blue paint? Always thought that was a good joke.
Speaker 4: Ah, the derail job, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yep, there a recipe for humor, the researcher said.
Speaker 4: Again, nobody wanted to hear this. Nobody wants to it's not necessary. Using rash, why does it feel so good to kiss somebody you love?
Speaker 2: Who cares? Researchers suggest I enjoy the feeling blah and dorphin flah blah blah, shut up and kiss me. Using Reddit comments and up votes as popularity metrics, because that's what you got to do. Sylvia determined that when it comes to a solid dad joke structure, people found the question and answer framing funnier, such as did you hear about the two thieves who stole a calendar? They each got six months? Very amusing and in a survey portion of the study, people reported that they connected more of the jokes that used family characters such as mother's, father's, brothers, sister, grandparents, and animals. Topics such as nature, health care, and money resonated, whereas those about politics, religion, and war did not.
Speaker 1: Oh really, so, don't use as.
Speaker 2: A topic matter for your dad joke with your kid, war, religion, politics.
Speaker 1: Thanks for that heads up, and.
Speaker 4: We found in our study that dad jokes relating to exchange traded funds really stiffed. Again, thank you for your valuable research. Wow, dad jokes about death? What the hell, dude?
Speaker 1: Or politics?
Speaker 2: And then at lists here, what are supposedly good dad jokes? Why does the Danish military put barcodes on its ships so they can scan da native Scandinavian? I got scan? Oh Scandinavian? Okay, I didn't right. I'm too dumb for that one. How do you catch a unique bird? Unique up on it?
Speaker 1: I'd never heard this one before.
Speaker 2: This is pretty funny. I was wondering why the frisbee kept getting bigger and bigger. Then it hit me, Oh that's so good. Oh oh that's beautiful. I wish I had a collection of these when my kids were little.
Speaker 1: This one's The writing on this one is good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The researcher, the PhD Sylvia, said, the most notorious dad jokes have an almost irritating quality to them is a way they shake up the conversation and engage people. Such is when a child says, Dad, I'm hungry Hi hungry, I'm dad. Sure has an almost irritating quality.
Speaker 4: All right, true, my mom used to do that at say one, I've.
Speaker 1: Done that too, but.
Speaker 2: Without even realizing that it had almost irritating quality. That shook up the conversation in a pleasant way. Humor is a playful social glue. I've noticed that makes everyone feel a little bit better. Yes, I'm a human being also.
Speaker 1: And a little more.
Speaker 4: Wow, it really is explaining humans to humans.
Speaker 2: We know it makes people a little more at ease and closer to the people they're with.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes it does.
Speaker 4: Wow. When they print this shit jealous, probably got an anti boy PhDs write long papers about it and get them inserted into peer reviewed periodicals. Often jokes cause people to smile and or laugh, which makes them happy.
Speaker 2: Oh, humor says here human plays an important role in our health, relationships and well being. Research shows Thank god you've got the research, because if you just made that up off the top of your head, can you back.
Speaker 1: Up that statement that humor makes people happier?
Speaker 4: The academizing of human experience. Sometimes it's good and helpful helping an addictions, say, or an abusive relationship or something like that. But explaining why there are jokes.
Speaker 2: Steven sultan Off, a clinical psychologist and professor at Pepperdine University, calls mirth the emotional uplift of humor.
Speaker 4: Sure, he's a long day.
Speaker 2: Even when a joke doesn't elicit a gofa, people may still experience the benefit by feeling uplifted by it.
Speaker 1: He said. We know, yes, we know.
Speaker 2: There's also a cognitive response known as wit that it can occur with humor.
Speaker 1: Who is this?
Speaker 4: This is killing me?
Speaker 2: To understand a joke, people often need to shift their perspective, and studies suggests that this cognitive reframing can help regulate emotions.
Speaker 1: And cope with stress.
Speaker 4: Now that's an interesting concept. That's that's next level.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I'd almost like to hear about that cognitive reframing and how that is.
Speaker 1: We've certainly all felt that though.
Speaker 2: When somebody, you know, cracks a joke in a stressful.
Speaker 4: Situation, right, yeah, everything changes, Like you've literally changed your perspective, You've moved over here. That's that's okay, Finally something interesting. I mean, it's self evident, but like I said, it's at least intriguing.
Speaker 2: And he ended with this researcher from Pepperdine. Never trust an atom. They make up everything.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 5: This was my dad's favorite dad joke. He didn't follow good advice, But why did the chicken cross the road? Because he was being chased by inflation in the economy. It wasn't very funny.
Speaker 4: He feared death.
Speaker 1: I was wondering to myself, why does that.
Speaker 2: Frisbee keep getting bigger and bigger?
Speaker 5: And then it hit me, well, I guess that's it.